Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Virginia Governor’s Race Results Thread

Larry Sabato’s (and Kyle Kondik’s) crystal ball 🔮 projected the race as Leans Republican. Kondik says to look out for what the exit polls say about Biden’s approval rating in VA, Dems will want to see an approval over 45% for any chance of a good night.

Dave Wasserman projects recordbreaking turnout of 3 million or more…but will those be votes from fathers scared of the girls’ bathroom and mothers scared of Toni Morrison, or votes from Virginians without rotting brains?

J. Miles Coleman and Chaz Nuttycombe are two other useful Virginia election results interpreters on Twitter.

Polls close at 7 PM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 606November 3, 2021 3:06 AM

David Plouffe is looking hot on MSNBC.

How did we allow the results of Virginia to become the narrative of success? Democrats will win in New Jersey Governor, NYC Mayor, Boston Mayor and countless other races but if we lose one race that is rarely won by the party in the White House all of a sudden it is a disaster? Democrats do suck at messaging.

by Anonymousreply 1November 2, 2021 8:59 PM

Virginia is an interesting bellweather for Biden.

I identify Blue Virginia very closely with Obama—that 2008 election is when it flipped blue for the first time in many elections. And Virginia with its government employees is heavily aligned with Biden and his lifelong government service. There’s a reason it was a waterfall of votes for him in the primary.

Culturally, the state is a terrible fit for the Trump GOP: it is wealthy and education-focused, not to mention proud, and not in the Confederate flag way, despite the tiki torch march. It’s a Mitt Romney and Jeb GOP type place.

But the education obsession in VA has left parents there more upset by Covid disruption than other states might be, giving Youngkin an advantage. Running Mac again was also a mistake for the Dems, they should have found an impressive female candidate along the lines of Luria or Spanberger. They needed a fresh face here.

by Anonymousreply 2November 2, 2021 9:06 PM

Is this the *official poll*

Make sure we have our house in order for poll troll.

by Anonymousreply 3November 2, 2021 9:11 PM

The result of a mayoral election in Boston is meaningless. The result of a gubernatorial race has implications for the Electoral College, and for state legislatures.

Fairfax County is blue. The rest of VA isn't. It has a long history of electing governors who are the opposite party from the President.

Biden's approval rating sank again over the weekend to below 45%. This has, as Steve Kornacki explained yesterday, an impact on this race.

None of these factors are guarantees of any outcome. But they do signify potential issues for Democrats in the midterms that no mayoral race in NY or Boston has any meaningful impact on.

by Anonymousreply 4November 2, 2021 9:20 PM

You’re quite the easy grader, aren’t you, R1?!

by Anonymousreply 5November 2, 2021 9:23 PM

R5, no I am a realist, the Democrats will win more races than they will lose today, when is winning more actually a loss? The party in the White House has only won the Virginia Governor's race once in modern times. I am sure you want to push the narrative that the Democrats are losers but they won't be regardless of the Virginia outcome.

by Anonymousreply 6November 2, 2021 9:46 PM

Virginia hasn’t gone red statewide since ‘09 & has only gotten more decidedly blue, not purple, since then. Whatever the past history in Virginia was doesn’t reflect that this onetime, yes, red state has been quite blue over several cycles. I assure you, R6, no one in the White House or DNC will be privately celebrating winning the other elections tonight.

by Anonymousreply 7November 2, 2021 9:52 PM

I understand that the repubs have already put out a statement that if the Dem wins it is because he cheated. They must be worried

by Anonymousreply 8November 2, 2021 9:53 PM

I would love it if Trump & Youngkin finally appeared together, to allege fraud, but I don’t think Youngkin’s going to lose.

by Anonymousreply 9November 2, 2021 9:59 PM

this will go the same way as the Trump/Biden election. The Dem will win, the Repub will yell foul, it will take weeks to finally proclaim that the Dem won.

by Anonymousreply 10November 2, 2021 10:11 PM

Terry McCauliffe has had this in the bag for over a year. Some assholes screeching and getting themselves arrested at a school board meeting isn't going to change that.

Just wait for Fat Donny to start screeching about how it was stolen. How it had to be stolen, there was no other way for the guy everyone knew was going to win, to actually win.

Sometimes the GQP are filled with such predictable stupidity it's almost depressing. Then I think of how many of them are too fucking stupid to get themselves vaccinated and I cheer right up. Covid isn't all bad.

by Anonymousreply 11November 2, 2021 10:16 PM

It's really infuriating that this race is even close. Yes I know the Virginia trend of electing a governor from the opposite party as the current President but this shouldn't be "politics as usual". If the average person still doesn't realize that the repub party is now radical autocratic and fascist, I don't have much hope for our future.

If Youngkin does win and the state legislature also flips, voting rights and nullification will suddenly become an issue in Virginia and we'll have to worry about losing House and Senate races there.

by Anonymousreply 12November 2, 2021 10:21 PM

McCauliffe will win, Youngkin was never going to win. They just drummed up a horserace to get people interested.

by Anonymousreply 13November 2, 2021 10:23 PM

I think this thread proves that the delusional are not only housed in the GQP. But I hope to be proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 14November 2, 2021 10:28 PM

Hotline Josh (Josh Kraushaar) says on Twitter that NBC’s VA exit polls had Biden’s approval at 43%. This is a bad sign for Dems.

by Anonymousreply 15November 2, 2021 10:31 PM

R1 That quote is wishful thinking. Democrats won VA by 10 points last year. Of course its a big fucking deal if they lose.

by Anonymousreply 16November 2, 2021 10:31 PM

Yes, R15. Earlier in the day, it was said that TM needed Biden to be at least at 45% to have a chance.

by Anonymousreply 17November 2, 2021 10:33 PM

I mean *official thread* not official poll.

Speaking of getting it together.

by Anonymousreply 18November 2, 2021 10:36 PM

Yeah, Biden's approval rating has fallen in VA over the past year, the same way it has nationally. I believe Biden's approval rating was 52% in VA in November 2020. A few days ago I think it was down to 45%.

by Anonymousreply 19November 2, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote] Hotline Josh (Josh Kraushaar) says on Twitter that NBC’s VA exit polls had Biden’s approval at 43%. This is a bad sign for Dems.

R15, have you ever in your life decided not to vote for a Governor, because you didn't like the President of his or her party?

Trump has an approval rating of 41% in Virginia so if the approval rating of a President matters Youngkin is in trouble.

McCauliffe is under water in his approval rating, a more serious concern but he was also underwater in his approval rating the last time the won Governor of Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 20November 2, 2021 10:37 PM

Why 45% is some kind of threshold? The mainstream media will create soap opera out of everything these days. No wonder, the public distrust.

Let's not forget that the last time McAuliffe got elected it was a close win against Cucinelli, just 2 point difference.

by Anonymousreply 21November 2, 2021 10:40 PM

I have a feeling this won't be as close as they're saying. Who wins? I don't even have a guess.

by Anonymousreply 22November 2, 2021 10:40 PM

to think the repubs right now are activated by a clearly fabricated racist narrative about education. Really shows repubs are the dumbest people on the planet who lead with their bigotry before common sense

by Anonymousreply 23November 2, 2021 10:40 PM

Hi PollTroll r19! Good to see you :-)

by Anonymousreply 24November 2, 2021 10:42 PM

[quote] have you ever in your life decided not to vote for a Governor, because you didn't like the President of his or her party?

I chose to vote against Michael Steele for Senate in Maryland in 2006 even though I liked him very much (and still do) for his work against the death penalty, purely as a protest vote against GWB.

I do think MD, VA, and DC voters are a little different than the rest of the US in this respect.

by Anonymousreply 25November 2, 2021 10:42 PM

Happens all the time, R20. If the president is unpopular, it tends to have a ripple effect down ballot, including gubernatorial races.

by Anonymousreply 26November 2, 2021 10:43 PM

Hi, R24. :-)

by Anonymousreply 27November 2, 2021 10:44 PM

That’s right, R21, never trust the (social) science.

by Anonymousreply 28November 2, 2021 10:45 PM

I really think the “angry parent” vote is more about people who are at the end of their ropes over Covid and grasping for any change they can, and less about the silly bullshit Youngkin has been trying to spread. I think these parents are just tired and angry and they can’t vote against a virus, so they’re voting against the party in power. I find that self defeating, delusional, and stupid, but I’m also not trying to raise a passel of children during Covid and losing my mind over it.

by Anonymousreply 29November 2, 2021 10:45 PM

CNN Exit poll shows that Economy and Education are more important issues than Coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 30November 2, 2021 10:45 PM

If Youngkin wins, it will probably be because a bunch of those suburban NoVA voters have swung to him.

by Anonymousreply 31November 2, 2021 10:46 PM

There is nothing super abnormal about Biden's polls either. He is performing about the same as any other president at similar time in their presidency.

by Anonymousreply 32November 2, 2021 10:46 PM

After all the fuckery and batshit treason the GQP has done and become, if VA votes R my GOD they get what they deserve.

by Anonymousreply 33November 2, 2021 10:49 PM

He’s probably doing a little better than Trump at a similar time, R32, but I don’t believe your statement bears out over other presidents in the modern era.

by Anonymousreply 34November 2, 2021 10:50 PM

The first results in VA tonight will probably be the absentee ballots. VA law requires that the pre-processing of absentee ballots begin before Election Day.

by Anonymousreply 35November 2, 2021 10:50 PM

Don't elect Repigs ever. They are beholden to Trump or will be soon.

Plus, you can't trust a Repig.

by Anonymousreply 36November 2, 2021 10:50 PM

The Exit Polls by NBC and CNN only sampled people who showed up in-person to vote today, r15.

Of course those are Deplorables who are going to skew Republican, just like they did for Trump on Election Day 2020.

But it's ignoring the record-high early and mail-in voting Virginia has already done and McAuliffe has already won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 2, 2021 10:52 PM

From your fingertips to God’s ears, R37, but color me very skeptical.

by Anonymousreply 38November 2, 2021 10:54 PM

Predictions are going to be less reliable this year. Other than 2020, Virginia never had early voting, so exit polls are not going to be precise. Many workers are remote, so they are not voting before or after work. And the weather has been rainy and gray.

by Anonymousreply 39November 2, 2021 10:54 PM

Wrong, Virginia has always had absentee or early voting in the modern era. This year's is six times higher than in 2017.

Democrats simply expanded the early and mail-in voting opportunities in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 40November 2, 2021 10:57 PM

Polls now closed.

CNN says VA race is too early too call. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 41November 2, 2021 11:00 PM

Exit poll: Percentage of young voters is down this year. Percentage of older voters up this year. Compared to 2020.

by Anonymousreply 42November 2, 2021 11:01 PM

^ XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX!!!

by Anonymousreply 43November 2, 2021 11:02 PM

Youngkin winning Independents by 5 points.

by Anonymousreply 44November 2, 2021 11:02 PM

Only slim lead for McAuliffe with young voters

by Anonymousreply 45November 2, 2021 11:03 PM

[quote]CNN says VA race is too early too call. LOL.

If Wolf Blitzer weren't currently squinting at Glasgow from Edinburgh, I'd swear he said it himself.

by Anonymousreply 46November 2, 2021 11:03 PM

Independents breaking for Youngkin

by Anonymousreply 47November 2, 2021 11:03 PM

Yikes :-/

by Anonymousreply 48November 2, 2021 11:04 PM

Also big night in Minneapolis, New Jersey and Seattle

by Anonymousreply 49November 2, 2021 11:04 PM

Why? Who did the cops open fire on this time?

by Anonymousreply 50November 2, 2021 11:05 PM

Yeah, I think Youngkin wins by a couple %

by Anonymousreply 51November 2, 2021 11:05 PM

Virginia had absentee voting until 2020. You had to provide an excuse and go to the courthouse. Democrats took control of Virginia in 2019 and passed early voting, criminal reform, and a lot of other great things.

by Anonymousreply 52November 2, 2021 11:06 PM

Some reporting says that Fairfax will report its advanced vote first.

by Anonymousreply 53November 2, 2021 11:13 PM

I live in Chesterfield County and we went for Terry!

Woo Hoo!!!

by Anonymousreply 54November 2, 2021 11:15 PM

based on demographic data so far, i think it's Youngkin by 2 or 3

by Anonymousreply 55November 2, 2021 11:16 PM

The troll @ r42 signing herself as "ThePollTroll" is actually Boris DeFuckwit the Nazi Incel, expressing her vendetta against a fact-based poster who she has branded "The Poll Troll" before in retaliation for constantly proving Boris wrong.

It's just the latest sock puppet impersonation and alternate personality Boris is using to spread Fake News.

She's also flicking her little clitty to an outdated method of exit polling by CNN and NBC, who are only reporting on people who showed up in-person to vote today. Of course those are Deplorables who are going to skew Republican, like they did on Election Day 2020 for Trump.

But you're living in the 1950s if you think most voters wait until Election Day to vote anymore. We have a pandemic, early and mail-in voting options expanded and a record-high early vote turnout in Virginia that Democrat Terry McAuliffe won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56November 2, 2021 11:17 PM

The Poll Troll is a longtime DL poster, r56.

Go peddle your conspiracy theories somewhere else

by Anonymousreply 57November 2, 2021 11:21 PM

Never could’ve imagined years ago that I’d find myself hoping and praying one night that cable news Clinton lackey Terry McCauliffe gets dragged over the finish line in a Virginia gubernatorial election. But here we are.

by Anonymousreply 58November 2, 2021 11:23 PM

Exit poll doesn't show much differentiation among the 3 races (gov, LG, AG) -- all the Rs lead by a small amount

by Anonymousreply 59November 2, 2021 11:24 PM

You mean... the above postings are not from the REAL Poll Troll??? I have only come to this thread because I admire and love Poll Troll! There is an impersonator here?

MURIEL!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 60November 2, 2021 11:25 PM

R56, I'm actually the Poll Troll.

And yes, McAuliffe is leading in the Early Vote, but we need to see if he can run up that total high enough in order to beat Youngkin.

by Anonymousreply 61November 2, 2021 11:25 PM

Nothing surprising yet

by Anonymousreply 62November 2, 2021 11:26 PM

So far Terry is running 3 points behind Biden in a few suburban areas.

by Anonymousreply 63November 2, 2021 11:27 PM

Dave Wasserman:

McAuliffe wins the Arlington early/absentee vote 82%-18%. That 64 pt. margin will come down as Election Day votes come in, but McAuliffe needs a ~52 pt. margin there to win statewide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 2, 2021 11:28 PM

R11 - Really? Your definition of "in the bag" is interesting. If it was "in the bag" the polls wouldn't be so close.

I expect McAuliffe to pull it out by a small margin, but "in the bag"? A close race isn't "in the bag for a year". It's pulling it out by the fingernails at the 11th hour.

It must be nice to be able to rearrange the English language to mean whatever you say it means, like Humpty Dumpty.

Best of luck to McAuliffe, a win for Youngkin would be distressing, but "in the bag" it isn't and hasn't been for some time.

by Anonymousreply 65November 2, 2021 11:29 PM

[quote]I am a realist, the Democrats will win more races than they will lose today, when is winning more actually a loss?

Considering the places where they are going to easily win today, that’s like saying the Globetrotters are a great basketball team because of the number of wins over the Generals.

by Anonymousreply 66November 2, 2021 11:31 PM

McAuliffe made the huge mistake of saying parents should have no say in their children's education. If he loses, he only has himself to blame.

by Anonymousreply 67November 2, 2021 11:31 PM

"Glenn Youngkin so far is running quite a bit ahead (3-4 net points) of his Republican ticket-mates in Virginia's Lieutenant Governor & Attorney General races." @taniel

by Anonymousreply 68November 2, 2021 11:32 PM

T-Mac leads 55%-45% in Loudoun County, from @DecisionDeskHQ's first batch there (about 70K votes' worth).

by Anonymousreply 69November 2, 2021 11:32 PM

Dave Wasserman:

McAuliffe's 15% of the EDay vote so far in Buchanan Co. (far SWVA) strikes me as pretty respectable, considering Biden got 16% there and we don't even have EV/VBM reporting yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70November 2, 2021 11:32 PM

Fairfax County delayed in reporting early vote

by Anonymousreply 71November 2, 2021 11:34 PM

If the Loudoun numbers hold up then it's over

by Anonymousreply 72November 2, 2021 11:34 PM

Dave Wasserman:

Breaking in Loudoun Co.: 71k votes reported and McAuliffe wins the batch 55%-45%. @vpapupdates is reporting those are *Election Day* votes, not EV/VBM. If that's true, it would be a good result for McAuliffe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 2, 2021 11:37 PM

For whom r72?

by Anonymousreply 74November 2, 2021 11:38 PM

For Youngkin, r74. Riling up Loudoun parents over trans and CRT has been Youngkin’s main strategy to win the suburbs.

by Anonymousreply 75November 2, 2021 11:41 PM

R74 Youngkin

by Anonymousreply 76November 2, 2021 11:41 PM

Exit polls show a much whiter electorate in #Virginia in 2021 than 2020. White then: 67% White now: 74% Biden/Trump then: 54/44 Biden/Trump now: 46/46

These are not good numbers for McAuliffe.

by Anonymousreply 77November 2, 2021 11:41 PM

I’m surprised Princess Branding isn’t doing better.

by Anonymousreply 78November 2, 2021 11:42 PM

Hopefully some of the white people are anti-Trumpers.

by Anonymousreply 79November 2, 2021 11:43 PM

Blanding

by Anonymousreply 80November 2, 2021 11:43 PM

I'll never understand how Republicans can't see thru someone who is rich, running for any office. It isn't for the people, it is only to protect their money and maybe make some more on the side.

by Anonymousreply 81November 2, 2021 11:44 PM

[quote] Hopefully some of the white people are anti-Trumpers.

If they too are concerned with what is happening in Virginia schools, will it matter?

by Anonymousreply 82November 2, 2021 11:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83November 2, 2021 11:44 PM

I realize McAuliffe is kind of a snooze, but for fuck's sake people VOTE!

I was in Charlottesville this weekend & there was signs all over for Trump-lite. I know what the Yard Sign Troll would say - it looks bad for Terry!

by Anonymousreply 84November 2, 2021 11:44 PM

I need some good news tonight, DL.

by Anonymousreply 85November 2, 2021 11:44 PM

Exit polls on same day voting NOT EV/VBM. Big difference.

by Anonymousreply 86November 2, 2021 11:44 PM

Dave Wasserman:

Fairfax: 133k early votes reported and McAuliffe winning the batch 74%-26%. That seems to exclude the vote-by-mail that could be even better for McAuliffe. To my eye, we're on pace for a close statewide finish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 2, 2021 11:45 PM

I'm following the vote count on the New York Times. Youngkin is up by 100k votes with 23% reporting.

by Anonymousreply 88November 2, 2021 11:46 PM

Loudon dumps another 12K, 120K total, more than '17. TMAC 52.8 Youngkin 46.6. Northam got 59.3% in Loudon, swing of 6.5.

by Anonymousreply 89November 2, 2021 11:47 PM

Not every white person is a racist shitbag, R82. I like some of the anti-Trumpers. I feel that they will see through that choad Youngkin or what ever his name is.

by Anonymousreply 90November 2, 2021 11:47 PM

"We're now up to 646 precincts reported by the state, and Youngkin continues to run just ahead of our expectations for a tied race, by a net-2 pts or so. Still early, but at this point, fair to say the edge goes to Youngkin". Nate Cohn

by Anonymousreply 91November 2, 2021 11:48 PM

As Wasserman says, we're looking at a close statewide finish.

by Anonymousreply 92November 2, 2021 11:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93November 2, 2021 11:48 PM

the news media also bears responsibility. Stop with the headline "fight over CRT". Instead the headline should be "Republicans are lying-CRT is NOT taught in school"

by Anonymousreply 94November 2, 2021 11:50 PM

23% of Price William in, McAuliffe down to 53%. He needs 62%.

by Anonymousreply 95November 2, 2021 11:51 PM

this is too close for comfort. The sad reality is racism is still a very effective political tool for repubs. There are soooo many racist white people who don't think of themselves as racist. They think just because they're not KKK members, they're not racist If you're triggered by the teaching of American history which includes slavery, you're racist.

by Anonymousreply 96November 2, 2021 11:51 PM

Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudoun are blue.

by Anonymousreply 97November 2, 2021 11:52 PM

R94 that's Sargent's point--the GOP leans on right wing media to push these lies. And the mainstream press then reports on the fake "controversy."

Our press has deliberately created a structural imbalance that favors the GOP in every election. That's on top of the voter suppression and ratfucking.

by Anonymousreply 98November 2, 2021 11:53 PM

Blame the media all you want. We should know media will do what they think gets rating, and conservatives know how to get the attention of the masses by framing hot button issues in the most rousing, plain spoken manner that resonates with Middle America. It’s Democrats’ fault they can’t find a way to package and disseminate a potent, visceral message raft appeals to the masses

by Anonymousreply 99November 2, 2021 11:54 PM

It’s Democrats’ fault they can’t find a way to package and disseminate a potent, visceral message that appeals to the masses

by Anonymousreply 100November 2, 2021 11:55 PM

Early indicators are looking positive for Youngkin so far. Fuckin Virginia, don't let us down.

by Anonymousreply 101November 2, 2021 11:55 PM

He doesn't need to know the meaning of CRT, all he needs to know is there is race in there and being a racist he wants nothing to do with it, but at least he was smart enough not to express that, a younger Republican racist would have said it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102November 2, 2021 11:55 PM

[quote] the GOP leans on right wing media to push these lies.

There wasn’t a sexual assault in the restroom?

by Anonymousreply 103November 2, 2021 11:55 PM

Dave Wasserman:

Brunswick Co. (Black majority, rural): McAuliffe needed to win it by 4%, per my benchmarks. He wins it by 5%. Long way to go, but this race looks tight right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104November 2, 2021 11:55 PM

The Exit Polls are a glimpse of a warped fraction of voters.

They don't count and they don't include or change the record-high early vote that Democrat McAuliffe already won.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105November 2, 2021 11:56 PM

Many of these numbers don't include mail-in ballots. Can we not panic just yet?

by Anonymousreply 106November 2, 2021 11:56 PM

it's the same shit every election. Just like the repubs won back Congress by labeling Obamacare as "Death Panels" and it led to enraged white supremacist tea party freaks. Now it's the fake CRT debate

repub voters are just stupid

Too many apathetic non-repub Americans don't even vote

by Anonymousreply 107November 2, 2021 11:57 PM

I thought the media were getting out the Dem vote by showing Youngkin surging and talking about how his election would portend doom for Dems.

by Anonymousreply 108November 2, 2021 11:57 PM

Democrats’ come across as disorganized Betas who are unsure of themselves and message. Republicans come across as crusading Alphas who are certain that they are on the right side, and unified in their mission. Americans are attracted to aggressive Alphas who are certain that they are right.

by Anonymousreply 109November 2, 2021 11:57 PM

I drove past three McAuliffe for Governor yard signs today in Virginia Beach. Boom, boom, BOOM!

by Anonymousreply 110November 2, 2021 11:58 PM

As did I, R108

by Anonymousreply 111November 2, 2021 11:58 PM

Good news. Dems won the mayoral election in Manchester.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112November 2, 2021 11:59 PM

Loudoun is much closer than I thought it would be. Not great for McAuliffe.

by Anonymousreply 113November 2, 2021 11:59 PM

Virginia is not California

by Anonymousreply 114November 2, 2021 11:59 PM

The republicans never come across as Alphas. They come across as scared shitting their pants betas. Lying is not alpha.

by Anonymousreply 115November 2, 2021 11:59 PM

R113, I called it. That’s where the school outcry boomed

by Anonymousreply 116November 3, 2021 12:00 AM

Per Wasserman, he’d rather be Younkgin right now, but there’s a lot of race to go.

by Anonymousreply 117November 3, 2021 12:00 AM

As Nate Cohn says, if they had a needle tonight, it would be pointing towards Youngkin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118November 3, 2021 12:00 AM

R103, there's already a thread that debunked the multiple lies pushed about that case. Fuck off to there.

by Anonymousreply 119November 3, 2021 12:00 AM

That girl getting raped in the bathroom by the gender non conforming kid and the school covering it up probably really hurt the Democrats. That story made the school board look so so bad.

by Anonymousreply 120November 3, 2021 12:01 AM

McAuliffe just sent out a letter to his supporters saying “Win or lose, we fought a good race” per CNN. Doesn’t sound optimistic..

by Anonymousreply 121November 3, 2021 12:01 AM

Regardless of how this turns out, I think we can all agree that Nate Cohn is a a fraud

by Anonymousreply 122November 3, 2021 12:02 AM

They're against Critical Race Theory without even knowing what it is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123November 3, 2021 12:02 AM

R109 Oh, yeah, screaming about books is sooo Alpha

by Anonymousreply 124November 3, 2021 12:02 AM

Something happened to the coverage with Kornacki on MSNBC, is anyone else seeing that?

The NY TIMES is tracking and according to their latest, with 37% of the vote in, Youngkin is 10pts ahead of McAuliffe. That could evaporate over the evening, but that's where the TIMES has it.

by Anonymousreply 125November 3, 2021 12:02 AM

Maddow: Right now, I’d rather be Glenn Youngkin.

by Anonymousreply 126November 3, 2021 12:03 AM

This stuff about “alphas” and “betas” is so seventh grade boys fighting over actions figures.

by Anonymousreply 127November 3, 2021 12:04 AM

What is your issue with Nate Cohn r122? His needle (which isn't running tonight) has done great.

by Anonymousreply 128November 3, 2021 12:04 AM

R123, please see R102.

by Anonymousreply 129November 3, 2021 12:04 AM

R124, you realize we are talking about the perception of Middle American voters? Do you not?

by Anonymousreply 130November 3, 2021 12:04 AM

R127, you realize we are talking about American voters?

by Anonymousreply 131November 3, 2021 12:05 AM

R130 No it is DL gays perception NOT middle America

by Anonymousreply 132November 3, 2021 12:05 AM

Critical Race Theory is a flimsy October surprise, nothingburger and Omega strategy that voters and the media will debunk decisively next week, even if hysteria drags Youngkin over the line tonight.

CRT is a hoax that cannot fuel Alphas in the longrun. That, other lies and cheating is all the Republicans have.

by Anonymousreply 133November 3, 2021 12:05 AM

Polls are now closed in New Jersey. All eyes on VA but we have a governors race here too.

(And if Dems win in NJ but lose in VA, watch how many people will ignore the NJ victory)

by Anonymousreply 134November 3, 2021 12:05 AM

McAuliffe needs to apologize for running again

by Anonymousreply 135November 3, 2021 12:06 AM

"Lots of smart people and analysts are on Twitter. Races shouldn't be called here casually, but it's obvious that this is a big GOP night in VA. " --- Larry Sabato

by Anonymousreply 136November 3, 2021 12:06 AM

R120 “Probably”? How about Definitely? McCauliffe killed himself with this whole parents shouldn’t have a say over what is taught in schools gaffe combined with this trans school rapist issue. He’s dead.

by Anonymousreply 137November 3, 2021 12:06 AM

R133, believing in weird outcomes that defy reality doesn’t help our cause. Your fantasy thinking is part of the problem

by Anonymousreply 138November 3, 2021 12:06 AM

R133 it's not an October surprise. The nonsense CRT stuff has been going on since the spring. It's been building in momentum for months

It's now set in to repub braindead minds

by Anonymousreply 139November 3, 2021 12:07 AM

With CRT such a big issue, do you really think a more progressive candidate, R135?

by Anonymousreply 140November 3, 2021 12:08 AM

[QUOTE] McAuliffe made the huge mistake of saying parents should have no say in their children's education. If he loses, he only has himself to blame.

Yeah even if you think that, you don’t say it out loud.

by Anonymousreply 141November 3, 2021 12:08 AM

It’s foolish to minimize the political and cultural success of the School Mania

by Anonymousreply 142November 3, 2021 12:09 AM

would have fared better?

by Anonymousreply 143November 3, 2021 12:09 AM

It may not be as close as i expected "Radford (college town in SWVA): McAuliffe needed to win it by 0.3%, per my benchmarks. Youngkin wins it by 9%. "

by Anonymousreply 144November 3, 2021 12:09 AM

Dave Wasserman:

Youngkin is rolling up huge margins in rural VA, making a lot of headway in outer suburbs and doing better than I'd have expected among in-person early voters. He's in the driver's seat right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145November 3, 2021 12:09 AM

MSNBC just returned. 41% in and Youngkin still running more than 10pts ahead. Youngkin is hitting and building on Trump's numbers in each county, the determinant will be if McAuliffe can do the same in the blue counties, if I've understood Kornacki. Loudon county mail-ins not in yet. But 81% in and McAuliffe is below 53%. It is expected that the mail-in vote will trend to McAuliffe.

by Anonymousreply 146November 3, 2021 12:10 AM

R96 No one is saying you cannot teach slavery. Slavery is taught in schools and never wasn’t. Parents are saying don’t teach students that they are inherently racist because they are white. And, if CRT isn’t taught in schools, then why do you care if it is banned?

by Anonymousreply 147November 3, 2021 12:10 AM

Prove that any public schoolkid in Virginia is forced to read a "woke" book and name the book, r138.

Let's see your receipts and link to any credible, independent source that proves anything you say for a change. You're always just a lazy liar who thinks people will believe anything you fabricate.

GOP scumbags are running on fumes, lies and cheating.

by Anonymousreply 148November 3, 2021 12:11 AM

[quote]It’s Democrats’ fault they can’t find a way to package and disseminate a potent, visceral message that appeals to the masses

And that's why voters are becoming disillusioned quickly with this administration. Biden has let Manchin and Sinema define and dictate his Presidency. And today, there's a story all over the internet about him falling asleep at the overseas conference. People voted for him because he wasn't Trump, but the great sense of confidence that people had in Clinton and Obama just isn't there with Biden.

We need to get our shit together for 2024.

by Anonymousreply 149November 3, 2021 12:11 AM

Absolute collapse in Democratic vote in Loudoun

by Anonymousreply 150November 3, 2021 12:12 AM

Jesus, how are the Dems ever going to win after Biden. Is there an up and coming moderate Dem politician from a rural country background? I feel bad for Pete and Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 151November 3, 2021 12:12 AM

Well let's see what happens with the VA legislature. If Dems maintain control that limits how much damage Youngkin can do there if he wins.

by Anonymousreply 152November 3, 2021 12:12 AM

[quote]McAuliffe made the huge mistake of saying parents should have no say in their children's education. If he loses, he only has himself to blame.

His deplorables moment. Unimportant but damning, possibly fatal. For whatever reason, I feel like a lot of voters think Democrats look down on them. It's a myth peddled effectively by the red meat Republicans. You get a uck up like that and it comes home to roost.

by Anonymousreply 153November 3, 2021 12:12 AM

It’s over.

by Anonymousreply 154November 3, 2021 12:12 AM

Steve Kornacki looks like he is in the high school play. Is it his make up or the light that is making so spraytanny?

by Anonymousreply 155November 3, 2021 12:12 AM

Just keep saying CRT is a nothing burger and watch Dems lose one election after another. It’s the same story with defund the police. If CRT isn’t taught in the schools why not have the Dem candidate promise to keep it that way. costs nothing and probably could have won an election.

by Anonymousreply 156November 3, 2021 12:12 AM

[QUOTE] It’s foolish to minimize the political and cultural success of the School Mania

The rightwingers will always find something to latch onto like a pit bull. It takes nimble, heavily charismatic Dem politicians like Bill Clinton and Barack Obama to successfully navigate those choppy waters, and Terry McAullife ain’t in that group (neither is Joe Biden).

The Democrats need a new leader to guide them through this storm.

by Anonymousreply 157November 3, 2021 12:13 AM

R140 CRT is the label slapped on the progressive agenda being pushed in schools which is a real thing. Parents are sick of this shit being shoved down their kids’ and their throats.

I’m in SW VA and can confirm lots of Youngkin yard signs out there.

by Anonymousreply 158November 3, 2021 12:13 AM

[quote](And if Dems win in NJ but lose in VA, watch how many people will ignore the NJ victory)

Because NJ is barely a race. Murphy is expected to win handily.

by Anonymousreply 159November 3, 2021 12:14 AM

Youngkin’s win will trigger national adoption of his playbook by Republicans and give moderate Democrats ammunition to advocate for jettisoning a progressive agenda, culturally and fiscally

by Anonymousreply 160November 3, 2021 12:14 AM

The most populous counties in VA are solidly Democratic and haven't even reported yet. They're also always the last to report.

Republicans' habit of fabrication and counting their chickens before they hatch is not serving them well here.

by Anonymousreply 161November 3, 2021 12:14 AM

Murphy has a big lead in the early results in New Jersey. (71% vs. 28%).

by Anonymousreply 162November 3, 2021 12:14 AM

[quote] McCauliffe killed himself with this whole parents shouldn’t have a say over what is taught in schools gaffe combined with this trans school rapist issue.

He should get credit for being honest about his views, but he loses some for lying about being taken out of context.

by Anonymousreply 163November 3, 2021 12:14 AM

David Plouffe on MSNBC: “those Loudoun County numbers are distressing.”

by Anonymousreply 164November 3, 2021 12:15 AM

I'm following Wasserman. So far, McA is underperforming most places while YGK is overperforming.

by Anonymousreply 165November 3, 2021 12:15 AM

R121 - Sometimes the parties get internal polling info that the public doesn't see. TM's group may have gotten some early indications from some counties that things were not going to plan.

by Anonymousreply 166November 3, 2021 12:15 AM

McAuliffe increases Loudon County lead to 11 points!

by Anonymousreply 167November 3, 2021 12:15 AM

Virginia seems lost, to me.

by Anonymousreply 168November 3, 2021 12:15 AM

Remember when r154 told us that Biden's presidential bid was over this early on election night a year ago?

This is GREAT news for McAuliffe!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169November 3, 2021 12:16 AM

R157 makes a good point. Democrats do best when they have a charismatic leader who can resonate emotionally with voters. Bill Clinton and Barack Obama are the best recent examples. And the all-time record is held by FDR.

A good book that is worth reading is "The Political Brain" by Dr. Drew Westen.

by Anonymousreply 170November 3, 2021 12:17 AM

The NJ Governor's race was all but over a week ago, just like the Boston Mayoral race. Everyone knew Murphy would win in NJ and Wu in Boston. They've been far ahead in all the polls.

by Anonymousreply 171November 3, 2021 12:17 AM

You're absolutely right, r156. You have found the Lasting Source of Power to Rule Them All.

Congratulations. Keep running with that.

by Anonymousreply 172November 3, 2021 12:17 AM

The Democrats need to distance themselves from the radical/progressives who shout defund the police and systemic racism at every opportunity. They need to focus entirely on economic issues like tax the rich and leave identity politics behind.

But they can’t do it because too much of the party activists are woke and completely out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 173November 3, 2021 12:17 AM

That's my point r159. People will try to frame this as some backlash against Dems while ignoring that Dems won the governors race in NJ.

Murphy tonight might become the first Dem governor to win reelection in NJ in over 40 years. It was not some given that of course a Dem would win there.

by Anonymousreply 174November 3, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote] So far, McA is underperforming most places while YGK is overperforming.

This trend being confirmed on both CNN and MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 175November 3, 2021 12:17 AM

Wasserman says McAuliffe is getting respectable numbers, then says Youngkin is in the driver's seat.

These people are useless.

by Anonymousreply 176November 3, 2021 12:18 AM

NYT doesn't have the election needle up tonight, but they said if they did it would currently point to Youngkin. In the 90% range. It's all but over

by Anonymousreply 177November 3, 2021 12:18 AM

Indeed, R168. Not even 10 months after 1/6 & a Republican is winning in Virginia. How very depressing.

by Anonymousreply 178November 3, 2021 12:18 AM

From the NYT, Youngkin is leading 873K vs 690K. 49% reporting.

by Anonymousreply 179November 3, 2021 12:18 AM

Youngkin will win, the Orange Turd will take full credit, Dems will continue their downward spiral to oblivion, and '22 is looking grimmer and grimmer.

by Anonymousreply 180November 3, 2021 12:19 AM

R136 - I'm finding that difficult to believe. But the TIMES reports that with 50% of the total vote in, Youngkin is still ahead by 12pts. I cannot believe that that will hold up past 60% of the vote.

by Anonymousreply 181November 3, 2021 12:20 AM

Mail in ballots starting to report in, as per Wasserman...

by Anonymousreply 182November 3, 2021 12:20 AM

Democrats are to blame for being so bad at the longterm game of politics

by Anonymousreply 183November 3, 2021 12:20 AM

(54%)

Youngkin (R) 884,530 55.5

McAuliffe (D) 697,683 43.8

Blanding (L) 10,518 0.7

by Anonymousreply 184November 3, 2021 12:20 AM

I don’t think it’s going to be even that close in Virginia. But, hey, we’re winning in even deeper blue NJ & NYC.

by Anonymousreply 185November 3, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote]If CRT isn’t taught in the schools why not have the Dem candidate promise to keep it that way. costs nothing and probably could have won an election.

Yes, they’re going to have to pivot from “It’s not being taught in schools” to “It shouldn’t be taught in schools.”

by Anonymousreply 186November 3, 2021 12:21 AM

R173, completely agree with you. Even many liberals are getting sick of hearing about racism at every turn but they're too afraid to say it.

by Anonymousreply 187November 3, 2021 12:21 AM

Tonight, Youngkin becomes a national political superstar and top contender for Republican VP in 2024

by Anonymousreply 188November 3, 2021 12:21 AM

It's been a good run for Dems in Virginia. They did lots of good. They'll be back soon.

by Anonymousreply 189November 3, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote] if CRT isn’t taught in schools, then why do you care if it is banned?

Because Republicans want to consider CRT anything that might embarrass or make a white student feel bad about the past as they want to do in Texas. That would mean teaching stupid shit like blacks were treated well as slaves, not teaching about the actions of the KKK, or Jim Crow.

by Anonymousreply 190November 3, 2021 12:22 AM

I told y’all

by Anonymousreply 191November 3, 2021 12:22 AM

R139 is right. The CRT issue is anything but an October surprise, it has been percolating for at least a year - rather like Defund the Police.

by Anonymousreply 192November 3, 2021 12:22 AM

There is some American addiction to demonizing black people that politicians exploit over and over. Dems did this too, up to and including Clinton. I’m a very moderate Dem, not in favor of defunding the police (if anything, in favor of taking mental health stuff off their hands so they can focus on their work). I believe school should focus on basics and kids should read a wide variety of stuff; personally, reading Beloved in school was an important experience for me.

It makes me sick to think of the Dem party returning to the Sister Souljah days of using CRT to show off to racist white voters that “we” aren’t with “them.”

There has to be something else we can do.

by Anonymousreply 193November 3, 2021 12:23 AM

It’s cultural issues, stupid

by Anonymousreply 194November 3, 2021 12:23 AM

Julian Castro on CNN is doing a post mortem on what lessons can be learned from this election (McAuliffe’s loss.)

by Anonymousreply 195November 3, 2021 12:24 AM

If I lived in Virginia, I would have held my nose and voted for McAuliffe. I find him annoying and uninspiring.

Youngkin is anti-gay marriage. He had a good campaign strategy, but he is clearly right-wing.

by Anonymousreply 196November 3, 2021 12:24 AM

I'm in SE VA and I can confirm the Youngkin yard signs with wooden posts leave 17 more splinters up my rectum on average than McAuliffe yard signs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197November 3, 2021 12:24 AM

Democrats foolishly nominated McAuliffe over fresh, vibrant candidates. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

by Anonymousreply 198November 3, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote] It's been a good run for Dems in Virginia. They did lots of good.

Yes it did enormous good when the US Attorney General threated parents with the Patriot Act for objecting to their daughters being raped

by Anonymousreply 199November 3, 2021 12:26 AM

Buck wouldn't have taught critical race theory.

by Anonymousreply 200November 3, 2021 12:26 AM

Wasserman called it: Youngkin

by Anonymousreply 201November 3, 2021 12:26 AM

r170 = r157

by Anonymousreply 202November 3, 2021 12:26 AM

[quote]I've seen enough: Glenn Youngkin (R) defeats Terry McAuliffe (D) in the Virginia governor's race. #VAGOV

wtf?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203November 3, 2021 12:27 AM

[quote] Not even 10 months after 1/6 & a Republican is winning in Virginia. How very depressing.

For what it’s worth, it’s not so much a Republican winning as it is the Democrats self-immolating by embracing extremist views. If McAuliffe had denounced Loudon schools and “CRT”, he’d be winning.

by Anonymousreply 204November 3, 2021 12:27 AM

Wasserman calls it for Youngkin.

by Anonymousreply 205November 3, 2021 12:27 AM

[quote] Julian Castro on CNN is doing a post mortem

Amazing because he is also on MSNBC

by Anonymousreply 206November 3, 2021 12:27 AM

VA doesn't let governors serve consecutive terms, so a Youngkin administration would only be 4 years. If Dems keep the legislature there isn't much he can even do. It's just a stalemate for four 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 207November 3, 2021 12:27 AM

Congrats, VA, you get what you vote for. Don’t bitch to us when the extreme shit starts.

by Anonymousreply 208November 3, 2021 12:28 AM

Julian Castro is on MSNBC making the point that if Terry loses, part of the reason is that he is not a candidate that excites the base.

I think Virginians are as annoyed with Joe Manchin as other Democrats across the land are, and are more likely to know that McAuliffe is from the same wing of the party.

I wish it were possible for people to base their reactions on the fact that Virginia almost always elects a governor from the party that lost the presidency.

by Anonymousreply 209November 3, 2021 12:28 AM

This is depressing.

by Anonymousreply 210November 3, 2021 12:28 AM

MSNBC commentators calling this for Youngkin even though none of the networks are.

by Anonymousreply 211November 3, 2021 12:28 AM

MSNBC saying that Youngkin won back a lot of suburban voters that abandoned Trump in the last election.

by Anonymousreply 212November 3, 2021 12:29 AM

The Democrats never embraced "Defund the police" and pointing out systemic racism doesn't hurt anyone, r173.

You're fabricating a strawman and alphas made of straw don't last.

by Anonymousreply 213November 3, 2021 12:29 AM

No, Michelle Wallace, Youngkin did not have the insurrection flag at HIS rally. He wasn’t there. I hate it when these commentators - left or right - so knowingly lie or at least misrepresent the facts.

by Anonymousreply 214November 3, 2021 12:29 AM

Reading Toni Morrison books in school is not “extremist views.”

by Anonymousreply 215November 3, 2021 12:29 AM

Yeah I think now that Trump’s gone a lot of these suburban voters are swinging back to somewhat right of center.

by Anonymousreply 216November 3, 2021 12:30 AM

Democrats are so tone deaf it’s actually hopeless. I don’t watch MSNBC anymore but I’m sure they’re blaming the probable loss on racism and deplorables. Solution: Must double down on CRT and trans rights.

by Anonymousreply 217November 3, 2021 12:31 AM

r215, fyi, the Toni Morrison thing didn’t work for McAuliffe.

by Anonymousreply 218November 3, 2021 12:31 AM

[QUOTE] If I lived in Virginia, I would have held my nose and voted for McAuliffe. I find him annoying and uninspiring.

I was at work at 3am this morning, and didn’t leave until 3pm. If I lived in Virginia, I doubt I would’ve had the energy to go vote for a louse like Terry McAullife.

by Anonymousreply 219November 3, 2021 12:31 AM

[quote]I think Virginians are as annoyed with Joe Manchin as other Democrats across the land are, and are more likely to know that McAuliffe is from the same wing of the party.

Not sure about that. Virginia is resumably a moderate state, not a progressive state.

by Anonymousreply 220November 3, 2021 12:32 AM

R211 - I'm watching MSNBC (or trying to there seem to be odd breaks in the signal) and I haven't seen any calls for either candidate. The TIMES, which I keep refreshing, does report 54% of the total vote in with Youngkin still12% ahead.

by Anonymousreply 221November 3, 2021 12:32 AM

[quote] pointing out systemic racism doesn't hurt anyone,

Yeah but being obsessed and screeching incessantly about RACISM does. People are sick of this shit.

by Anonymousreply 222November 3, 2021 12:33 AM

Why are y’all surprised? I called it over a week ago. Polls consistently have shown Youngkin surging, most recent ones showing him leading somewhat to even eight points. People on VA reported much more enthusiasm for Youngkin than TM, and black voters seems chilly to TM. McAuliffe is a dull candidate that excites no one. I only voted for him because I know Youngkin is the new leader of Trumpism, but I blame McAuliffe and Democrat for this debacle

by Anonymousreply 223November 3, 2021 12:34 AM

Turnout in Rural counties is huge

by Anonymousreply 224November 3, 2021 12:34 AM

[quote]Yeah but being obsessed and screeching incessantly about RACISM does. People are sick of this shit.

And if you're trying to win white voters, who are still the majority in this country, stop calling them racist. It doesn't make them like you or your candidates! It seems so fucking basic I can't believe I feel the need to point it out.

by Anonymousreply 225November 3, 2021 12:35 AM

Youngkin is not an extremist. There is little that seperates him and Terry. I am happy he won. It will hopefully send a message to Dems to STOP with all the trans and race baiting shit. After what happened to that poor RAPED girl, a very moderate R winning over a very moderate D is a small sacrifice.

by Anonymousreply 226November 3, 2021 12:35 AM

[quote] I don’t watch MSNBC anymore but I’m sure they’re blaming the probable loss on racism and deplorables

That’s exactly what they’re doing. It’s tiresome and predictable.

by Anonymousreply 227November 3, 2021 12:36 AM

Repubs get the statehouse and woke folk got rid of some statues so it’s win/win,

by Anonymousreply 228November 3, 2021 12:36 AM

Red-Blue map for Virginia

Rachel looks like she wants to cry

by Anonymousreply 229November 3, 2021 12:36 AM

CNN keeps claiming Fairfax County could change the game but it will be an early hours thing. They don't seem to be factoring in the increase in rural votes.

by Anonymousreply 230November 3, 2021 12:37 AM

Kornacki on the numbers: “If you were the Youngkin campaign, this is where you’d like to be right now.”

by Anonymousreply 231November 3, 2021 12:37 AM

Did Biden excite the base?! No, but he won big in Virginia. There was no reason to think that McAuliffe wasn’t going to be able to run on that playbook.

by Anonymousreply 232November 3, 2021 12:37 AM

Critical Race Theory may be too complex to teach outside of grad school but enough bits and pieces of it break through that it was easy to convince already somewhat racist white voters that they were teaching :"White People Bad" in the schools.

A perfect storm.

The good news is if Youngkin wins it will wake up enough Democrats in 2022 that Trumpism is not dead

by Anonymousreply 233November 3, 2021 12:37 AM

[quote] Mail in ballots starting to report in, as per Wasserman...

There is reportedly 1 million ballots mailed. We will see if it is overwhelmingly Democratic like Nov. 2020.

Can't stand the Arab guy who is the commentator, he called Youngkin as winning early and he constantly puts down Biden and the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 234November 3, 2021 12:37 AM

R222, you mean white people are sick of this shit?

I can imagine that many minorities would love not having to talk about racism, but since it follows them around daily, they don’t have a choice. But I hope that many racists in VA and elsewhere will die soon and be replaced by a generation that’s more open minded.

by Anonymousreply 235November 3, 2021 12:38 AM

McAuliffe would’ve won with Trump still in office.

by Anonymousreply 236November 3, 2021 12:39 AM

Meanwhile Maryland is a bluer state and we’re always getting stuck with GOP governors!

by Anonymousreply 237November 3, 2021 12:39 AM

Still waiting for the name of one Critical Race book that Virginia students are forced to read and an outside link that proves they're forced to read it.

by Anonymousreply 238November 3, 2021 12:39 AM

Rural turnout in VA is higher than 2017 and running 10-15 points more conservative. Lotta factors, but the 2A Sanctuary movement that swept the state in the wake of the 2019 elections energized and woke up a lot of people who typically stay home on Election Day. #VaElections2021

by Anonymousreply 239November 3, 2021 12:39 AM

Good grief, why is everyone saying it's over?! Am I missing something? I've checked two other news channels, there is no call for Youngkin anywhere, nor has Kornacki given any indication that it's done and dusted. Where are people seeing that it's been called?

by Anonymousreply 240November 3, 2021 12:39 AM

VA bloodbath extends down Ballot

Jason Miyares - 943,811 (55.48%) Mark Herring - 757,415 (44.52%)

L

by Anonymousreply 241November 3, 2021 12:40 AM

R231 - He was talking about the percentage Younking hoped to reach in a predominantly Democratic county.

by Anonymousreply 242November 3, 2021 12:40 AM

R240 Dave Wasserman made a call

by Anonymousreply 243November 3, 2021 12:41 AM

Voters across Virginia told USA TODAY that education, specifically critical race theory, was one of the key reasons they cast a ballot in the commonwealth’s pivotal gubernatorial race between Democrat Terry McAuliffe and Republican Glenn Youngkin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244November 3, 2021 12:41 AM

Massachusetts has a Republican governor too r237.

Local elections are national elections. The sky is not falling because VA has a republican governor.

by Anonymousreply 245November 3, 2021 12:41 AM

Dave Wasserman is famous for early but accurate calls and he’s called it for Youngkin. The people participating in this thread are probably close followers of election Twitter / reporting, so we all know about Wasserman.

by Anonymousreply 246November 3, 2021 12:42 AM

R232 Biden did excite the base, which is Black people.

by Anonymousreply 247November 3, 2021 12:42 AM

233 Get off the Trump obsession already. This election wasn’t about Trump. Youngkin wasn’t a Trumper. He won because all Terry did was try to call him a Trumper and he didn’t win.

If anything this election tells the GOP that a moderate Republican CAN still win, and even win over both Trumpers AND suburban moderates by focusing on CRT and trans issues, and NOT Trump.

by Anonymousreply 248November 3, 2021 12:42 AM

R238, and that’s the thing. Democrats let Republicans get away with their message every damn time instead of cutting through the lies immediately and hammering home their agenda instead of letting mouth breathing conservatives dictate their talking points.

by Anonymousreply 249November 3, 2021 12:43 AM

People voting against their own interests again. Also, I would like to explain critical race theory since they’re so against it.

by Anonymousreply 250November 3, 2021 12:44 AM

McAullffe will narrow but the margin is too big. It’ll probably be about 100,000 vote victory for Youngkin

by Anonymousreply 251November 3, 2021 12:44 AM

R243 - Yet Kornacki's board has the race as "too close to call".

by Anonymousreply 252November 3, 2021 12:44 AM

Local elections are NOT national elections*

by Anonymousreply 253November 3, 2021 12:44 AM

Youngkin is not a fucking moderate. JESUS CHRIST some of you are fools of the highest order.. There are no fucking MODERATE republicans.

by Anonymousreply 254November 3, 2021 12:45 AM

Also, the electorate who came out today is not the same as the 2020 electorate. Today’s’ electorate is much whiter, less educated, more rural, and older. Youngkin/GOP excited his base. McAuliffe did not

by Anonymousreply 255November 3, 2021 12:45 AM

Larry Sabato also called it. And Nate Cohn effectively did, too. Maybe these cable networks just don’t want to lose viewers by making a call.

by Anonymousreply 256November 3, 2021 12:45 AM

This entire campaign was against a boogie man that doesn’t even exist. Millions of people voted for an issue that is not real. Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 257November 3, 2021 12:45 AM

Youngkin may run for President in 2024

by Anonymousreply 258November 3, 2021 12:45 AM

R246 - Ah. I don't "do" Twitter, that explains it.

by Anonymousreply 259November 3, 2021 12:45 AM

R250 How about YOU explain who different Terry and Youngkin are, since you think this is some sky is falling scenario.

by Anonymousreply 260November 3, 2021 12:45 AM

He’s an asshole and his anti-abortion insanity is frightening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261November 3, 2021 12:46 AM

Fairfax cty is LATE

by Anonymousreply 262November 3, 2021 12:46 AM

Republicans swept the floor with Democrats by controlling the narrative and exciting their Base to the point of frenzy. Independents swung huge toward Republicans

by Anonymousreply 263November 3, 2021 12:47 AM

R247, Biden didn’t excite his base. Trump did.

by Anonymousreply 264November 3, 2021 12:47 AM

Here's what I don't get: -Critical race theory is only taught in grad schools. Well OK. - EXPLAIN CRITICAL RACE THEORY. But you just said only people in grad schools know what it is. Why are you expecting Joe Schmo, electrician, to know what critical race theory is.

Maybe instead we should try and understand what Joe Schmo means when he talks about critical race theory and not call him a dumb ass, because he won't vote for you then.

by Anonymousreply 265November 3, 2021 12:47 AM

Gross.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266November 3, 2021 12:47 AM

R257 If you were that little girl getting raped in a bathroom only to have your father beat up and thrown in jail, you wouldn’t think the issue wasn’t real.

by Anonymousreply 267November 3, 2021 12:47 AM

The party who doesn't hold the White House ALWAYS makes big gains during mid-term elections. Remember how Democrats won just about everything in the 4 years that Trump was president, including the Alabama senate race. It was inevitable that Youngkin would win tonight, especially as VA always goes with the party out of the White House. There's no need to overthink it, as this has been the way of politics since forever.

by Anonymousreply 268November 3, 2021 12:47 AM

R245 - No, but they carry messages about the current national government.

by Anonymousreply 269November 3, 2021 12:48 AM

Critical Race Theory is a flimsy nothingburger and Omega strategy that voters and the media will debunk decisively next week, even if hysteria drags Youngkin over the line tonight.

CRT is a hoax that cannot fuel Alphas in the longrun. That, other lies and cheating is all the Republicans have.

by Anonymousreply 270November 3, 2021 12:48 AM

Joy Reid in a bad wig is spitting fury right now about…you guessed it… RACISM!!!

Racists EVERYWHERE!

by Anonymousreply 271November 3, 2021 12:48 AM

R265, Republicans never explain shit to liberal Joe Schmos. Stop demanding liberals coddle idiots.

by Anonymousreply 272November 3, 2021 12:48 AM

CRT will be a major issue in 2022 and Dems better have some answers. Calling people racists will not work.

by Anonymousreply 273November 3, 2021 12:49 AM

[quote] It will hopefully send a message to Dems to STOP with all the trans and race baiting shit.

Is it over? How did I miss this. I go out for food and come home and now IT'S OVER?

The problem is no matter what the results, we don't learn. WE. DO. NOT. LEARN.

Some bigger voices are going to have to speak up. More powerful and not powerful voices from the gay community are going to have to speak up. People are always shocked when I tell them there is far from universal support in the gay community for TRAs. I'm trying to be more vocal about that. But I sure don't have any stats to back that up. I should just send them here.

Many black families and parents are speaking up against what they consider seeing their children taught an ideology they believe harms their children. Call it whatever the fuck you want, but it is surely the misinterpreted & misapplied results of CRT and they do not want it. This is regressing us back and making the country more divisive just like gender stereotypes pushed by the trans activists are pushing us back.

by Anonymousreply 274November 3, 2021 12:49 AM

Democrat here. I hope Terry loses. He is what is wrong with politics. People who never leave. I mostly hope he loses because Democrats need a wake up call.

by Anonymousreply 275November 3, 2021 12:49 AM

They just voted for Biden 12 Months ago. These same people. Are they really that stupid? The reason Biden’s agenda is stalling is because not a single Republican would cross over and give his agenda the votes it needs. Not a single Republican Senator.

So they vote for more republicans because they’re mad at Republican obstruction?

by Anonymousreply 276November 3, 2021 12:50 AM

Welp, good thing I don't live in VA.

by Anonymousreply 277November 3, 2021 12:50 AM

Wasserman is now calling it a 2%-5% Youngkin win. Hardly a nail-biter.

by Anonymousreply 278November 3, 2021 12:50 AM

The Boris trolls are out big time in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 279November 3, 2021 12:50 AM

R272, well then, continue losing . Enjoy

by Anonymousreply 280November 3, 2021 12:50 AM

Youngkin absolutely is a Trump-enabling, Nazi scumbag.

The Republicans won't capture the White House again until they hold Trump accountable.

by Anonymousreply 281November 3, 2021 12:50 AM

This is the first time I've tuned in MSNBC in several years. Do they always racially segregate the guests now?

Joy has all the black guests and Rachel is talking with the white guys.

by Anonymousreply 282November 3, 2021 12:51 AM

R282, I wish you were correct, but you’re delusional

by Anonymousreply 283November 3, 2021 12:51 AM

[quote] Critical Race Theory may be too complex to teach outside of grad school but enough bits and pieces of it break through that it was easy to convince already somewhat racist white voters that they were teaching :"White People Bad" in the schools.

Because that is essentially what it teaches. 15 years ago I attended graduate school to get a Masters in order to teach history. The program was at a college that many would consider conservative. Yet, all they taught was various critical theories, but they never called them that. It was just about teaching "diversity in education." I have no problem with diversity and telling more of our history in a more inclusive and nuanced manner. But that isn't what CRT is about. I had a discussion with the Professor because it seemed he didn't care if we knew the facts of the subject. He said, "The facts aren't important, just the message we sell to the children." I left the program.

You can teach history, including the history of slavery and racism, honestly and fully without CRT. Which seems to be something people have forgotten. It is presented as a choice between CRT or Moonlight and Magnolias. We can and should reject both.

by Anonymousreply 284November 3, 2021 12:51 AM

Dems have no effective answer to CRT bullshit. This is why they'll lose in Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 285November 3, 2021 12:52 AM

[quote]Still waiting for the name of one Critical Race book that Virginia students are forced to read and an outside link that proves they're forced to read it.

If it isn’t taught, Democrats have nothing to lose — and potentially a lot to gain — by saying it shouldn’t be taught. Since voters don’t know what it is anyway, who cares? Continue to evolve teaching about racism in schools, but just deny that it has anything to do with CRT.

by Anonymousreply 286November 3, 2021 12:52 AM

The Republicans are really good at creating fake controversies, and ginning up outrage. The Democrats, frankly, need to do the same. They need to be blunt, they need to be unified. Republicans do not want you to get health care. Ergo, Republicans don't care if you die. That's the kind of messaging that voters understand.

As for Virginia, meh. I don't live there, so what do I care? I hope Younkin bans abortion and whatever other crazy shit he brings to the table. It is clearly what the voters want, so let them wallow in it.

by Anonymousreply 287November 3, 2021 12:52 AM

R276, Obama won comfortably in ‘08, only to see a Republican win Virginia the next year by 17%.

by Anonymousreply 288November 3, 2021 12:52 AM

Another BS narrative the media was all too happy to help the GQP run with. You know what, enjoy VA. You earned your new secret MAGA Gov. ENJOY. You get what you get.

by Anonymousreply 289November 3, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] Republicans swept the floor with Democrats by controlling the narrative and exciting their Base

No, McAuliffe did that all by himself with a critical gaffe which Youngkin ran with. It worked because it’s something voters are genuinely concerned about based on what they see playing out in their schools every day, and they’re sick. of. it.

by Anonymousreply 290November 3, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] They just voted for Biden 12 Months ago. These same people. Are they really that stupid?

R276 Independents in America are known to be very fickle. They don't pay attention to politics and can't ever make up their minds.

by Anonymousreply 291November 3, 2021 12:53 AM

Winsome Sears just won Lt Gov in VA. She is a Republican, Black and was born in Jamaica. And an Air Force veteran. If the Republicans run more candidates like her in blue states in 22 we will be slaughtered.

by Anonymousreply 292November 3, 2021 12:54 AM

Bob McDonell round 2.

by Anonymousreply 293November 3, 2021 12:54 AM

And all of this is an example of why I have completely tuned out of politics over the past 12 months. I will vote blue up and down the ballot, I'm not going to feed the toxic political machine or kill myself with worry over random State election.

by Anonymousreply 294November 3, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote]Youngkin may run for President in 2024

MSNBC saying he couldn’t win a Republican primary on the national level.

by Anonymousreply 295November 3, 2021 12:54 AM

This could be good for Georgia. A wake up a call.

by Anonymousreply 296November 3, 2021 12:55 AM

R290 STFU Boris. What they are seeing play out in schools? STFU. It is all. LIES.

by Anonymousreply 297November 3, 2021 12:55 AM

The media is focusing on CRT and not on the trans bathroom issue, even though THAT is what ended up costing Terry Loundon county and thus the election. Anything to protect men’s egos, even men in wigs.

by Anonymousreply 298November 3, 2021 12:55 AM

Critical Race Theory is anathema to the Klan.

by Anonymousreply 299November 3, 2021 12:55 AM

[quote]Yeah but being obsessed and screeching incessantly about RACISM does. People are sick of this shit.

Critical Race Theory may not be a real thing, but people are sick and tired of hearing about racism every minute of the day. Everything on TV is all-black, all the time. The reality is that many of these white voter's experience with blacks is when they turn on the local news and every suspect and every mugshot is a black person. Yes, that's reality.

by Anonymousreply 300November 3, 2021 12:56 AM

"I don’t think that “CRT” as interpreted by some in the media is the same as “CRT” as interpreted by voters. The communications disconnect is a problem." --- Lis Smith

by Anonymousreply 301November 3, 2021 12:56 AM

[quote] Critical Race Theory is a flimsy nothingburger and Omega strategy that voters and the media will debunk decisively next week, even if hysteria drags Youngkin over the line tonight.

Agree. Most of the voters in VA cannot even define critical race theory. It is a right-wing dog whistle for racists.

by Anonymousreply 302November 3, 2021 12:57 AM

R299 - You wouldn't by any chance be the KGT who comes out on all the Meghan Markle threads to call anyone who doesn't like her a Klan Grannie?

by Anonymousreply 303November 3, 2021 12:57 AM

A lot of “Independents “ are stealth Republicans looking for any reason to vote red

by Anonymousreply 304November 3, 2021 12:57 AM

[quote]If McAuliffe had denounced Loudon schools and “CRT”, he’d be winning.

Everyone with common sense knows he should have denounced what happened at the two Loudoun County schools, why didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 305November 3, 2021 12:57 AM

R300 That’s by design, Boris. Go to any small rural town and all the criminals are toothless white yokels. STFU

by Anonymousreply 306November 3, 2021 12:57 AM

Correct R29 but Dems won’t do it. This the hill the close to de on. (Also trans rights.)

by Anonymousreply 307November 3, 2021 12:58 AM

r301, that quote is the reason the word *Duh* was invented.

by Anonymousreply 308November 3, 2021 12:58 AM

Isn’t there any way for Dems to win without running over black people and trans people with a car for the entertainment of Independent voters?

by Anonymousreply 309November 3, 2021 12:59 AM

R307 Bullshit Boris.

by Anonymousreply 310November 3, 2021 12:59 AM

It's ovah.

by Anonymousreply 311November 3, 2021 12:59 AM

The hill they choose to die on.

by Anonymousreply 312November 3, 2021 1:00 AM

Youngkin is going to win rather easily. It is what it is, Biden's approval among independents has cratered. Unless this changes by midterms, we are going to get slaughtered.

Repugs have seized the proper game plan, embrace Trump when needed but pretend to be different as needed. Critical race hoax, defund the police, the border issue, crime, economy....Repugs have found a recipe that works.

They are giving independents a way to support Trumpism without a actually supporting the radical parts.

We are in big trouble in this country.

by Anonymousreply 313November 3, 2021 1:00 AM

People who keep bringing up CRT are missing the point. The voters don't have to understand what CRT actually is: for them it's a symbol of everything they hate about the Woke Left: the statue shit, the cancel culture shit, the trans shit . . . CRT is just a convenient shorthand for those things. Maybe McAuliffe should have made a statement condemning what the Rutger Prof said. Voters see universities cowering and coddling that sort of thing, and CRT is as handy an umbrella as any for the rage they can't get across any other way.

by Anonymousreply 314November 3, 2021 1:00 AM

Lots of Russians in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 315November 3, 2021 1:01 AM

R290 mad eme spit out my tea. You can’t be “genuinely concerned” about something that a) doesn’t really exist and b) you don’t know what it means.

by Anonymousreply 316November 3, 2021 1:01 AM

Hispanic Republican just won VA Attorney General. Honestly, that's often a more crucial position than the Governorship.

by Anonymousreply 317November 3, 2021 1:01 AM

Lots of Russians also apparently voted in Virginia today as well.

by Anonymousreply 318November 3, 2021 1:02 AM

Geez, now we have to listen to that asshole bloviate on how VA won because of him.

I'm reading "Peril" by Woodward and Kosta, and even if half of it is true, Trump is certifiably insane. The fact that he has yet to pay for what he did to foment the insurrection on Jan 6 leaves me in disbelief. He, along with Cruz, Hawley and the rest of the treasonous bastards, deserve to pay.

It is a truly frightening thought to think these people will come back into power next year.

by Anonymousreply 319November 3, 2021 1:02 AM

R286 I'm sure there is no teacher teaching CRT. But, the materials they use and the education they received are/was saturated with CRT.

I know many people are already acting like Whites are a minority, they are not. White people, unsurprisingly, don't like the idea of teaching their children that their race is essential to their being and that white people are inherently racist due to the color of their skin.

That being said, I agree with R298 the trans/crossdressing school rapist and the abhorrent actions of the county is what really caused TM to lose the election. He should have denounced it forcibly, I would say 90-95% of people would be in agreement that, that school system really fucking screwed up.

by Anonymousreply 320November 3, 2021 1:02 AM

[quote] Joy Reid in a bad wig is spitting fury right now about…you guessed it… RACISM!!!

Accusing Youngkin of RACE BAITING while screeching angrily about RACISTS tonight (and every night.)

by Anonymousreply 321November 3, 2021 1:02 AM

Most white people view "racism" as black people trying to blame everyone else for their own bad choices.

by Anonymousreply 322November 3, 2021 1:03 AM

People believe CRT = woke. Whether they can define it or not is irrelevant. It is the political reality that must be accepted and dealt with.

by Anonymousreply 323November 3, 2021 1:04 AM

I fucking HATE Joy Reid. She is the worst thing to happen to MSNBC in a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 324November 3, 2021 1:04 AM

R322 STFU racist. White men whined about CHINA and NAFTA taking their jobs and making them opioid addicts.

by Anonymousreply 325November 3, 2021 1:04 AM

R315 - Right right right right . . .

Everyone who isn't you is a Russian bot.

Grow the fuck up and start looking some genuinely American issues in the face.

by Anonymousreply 326November 3, 2021 1:04 AM

McAuliffe somehow thought COVID-19 could win him the election and seemed strangely fixated that Youngkin was against vaccine mandates. It’s not 2020, and even Biden finally realized he had to pivot and talk beyond COVID to win. America as a whole has given up on fighting the pandemic, and resents politicians who tell them they have to live differently because it.

by Anonymousreply 327November 3, 2021 1:05 AM

Calling VA a true blue state was never accurate. It’s purple

by Anonymousreply 328November 3, 2021 1:06 AM

Youngkin just won a majority Black county. and greatly improved over Trump in several others.

by Anonymousreply 329November 3, 2021 1:06 AM

R316 See R314. Sums it up nicely.

by Anonymousreply 330November 3, 2021 1:06 AM

Youngkin has in essence eaten into the numbers that McAuliffe needed even from places like Loudon County. He didn't need to win the county, he only needed to eat into what McAuliffe hoped for, and getting into the 35% margin would have done it, and Youngkin has gotten to nearly 45% in Loudon County.

by Anonymousreply 331November 3, 2021 1:07 AM

Charles Blow on Black News Channel: Democrats don’t know how to run on this moment. McAuliffe was running against Trump like it’s 2020.

by Anonymousreply 332November 3, 2021 1:07 AM

Is he crying? He often cries.

by Anonymousreply 333November 3, 2021 1:08 AM

Loudon County bit McAuliffe in the butt.

by Anonymousreply 334November 3, 2021 1:08 AM

Why wouldn’t he run on TFG? He is very much the leader of the GQP.

by Anonymousreply 335November 3, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote]Most of the voters in VA cannot even define critical race theory

We know it when we see it.

by Anonymousreply 336November 3, 2021 1:10 AM

It has to be said: Jake Tapper's haircut looks dreadful, especially on the sides.

by Anonymousreply 337November 3, 2021 1:11 AM

Jake Tepper: Driving around Virginia, I saw Youngkin signs everywhere!

I told you so.

by Anonymousreply 338November 3, 2021 1:11 AM

R321 Not only that, the most overt racebaiting in the entire campaign was when The Lincoln Project people dressed up a couple white guys, a white girl and a black guy as Charlottesville alt-right rioters and sent them to a Youngkin event.

R329 I'm not surprised. I know a black female liberal active Democrat in VA who voted for Youngkin. I asked her why she voted for the Republican for what she said was the first time in her life? Her answer was simple, she has four kids in VA public schools, three of them girls. She felt that TM didn't give a shit that two girls were raped and the board covered it up.

by Anonymousreply 339November 3, 2021 1:11 AM

Fuck you, r265, you and Joe Schmoe have to prove what you claim and not doing so makes both of you assclowns entirely unworthy of leading the government.

Prove it, put up or shut the FUCK up. You don't cut the mustard and you can't last. Trump's border wall, U.S. jobs and manufacturing plans were all SCAMS that only worked once. People quickly learn the truth in the cold light of day and the truth of a politicians' performance. The proof is in the pudding and GOP pudding always tastes like DOGSHIT.

Nothing will please Democrats nationwide more than if Republicans rally behind Critical Race Theory in every election from now on.

You can fool some people in VA some of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340November 3, 2021 1:13 AM

I don't understand why the Democrats ran so uncompelling a known quantity as MCauliffe in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 341November 3, 2021 1:13 AM

They found their strategy and topics for next year.

by Anonymousreply 342November 3, 2021 1:13 AM

Why aren't you naming the books and curriculum oppressing Virginia, r265?

by Anonymousreply 343November 3, 2021 1:14 AM

[quote]I agree with [R298] the trans/crossdressing school rapist and the abhorrent actions of the county is what really caused TM to lose the election. He should have denounced it forcibly, I would say 90-95% of people would be in agreement that, that school system really fucking screwed up.

I hope people are paying attention because unless things change, what happened in VA is going to keep happening in elections across the country.

by Anonymousreply 344November 3, 2021 1:14 AM

[quote] McAuliffe was running against Trump

Much like datalounge itself. Obsessively and stubbornly stuck in the past

[quote] Her answer was simple, she has four kids in VA public schools, three of them girls. She felt that TM didn't give a shit that two girls were raped and the board covered it up.

A week or so ago I posted democrats have daughters too and was told that's too simplistic. I knew better because I too have daughters.

(78%)

Youngkin (R) 1,219,555 54.6

McAuliffe (D) 1,000,558 44.8

Blanding (L) 14,617 0.7

by Anonymousreply 345November 3, 2021 1:14 AM

Interesting commentary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346November 3, 2021 1:15 AM

[quote]Democrat here. I hope Terry loses. He is what is wrong with politics. People who never leave. I mostly hope he loses because Democrats need a wake up call.

You'd think the Dems would've gotten the message in 2016.

But maybe Biden winning got them complacent again. They never learn.

by Anonymousreply 347November 3, 2021 1:15 AM

CRT is toxic with independents and fires up Pubs.

Focus on economic and labor issues

Stop talking about Trump and Jan 6, the electorate has moved on.

by Anonymousreply 348November 3, 2021 1:16 AM

R345, were you called a troll or Boris because of that post?

by Anonymousreply 349November 3, 2021 1:16 AM

Breaking News: Eric Adams was elected as the second Black mayor in New York City's history, with hopes of guiding its recovery from the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 350November 3, 2021 1:17 AM

Democrats already have the answer to Critical Race Theory, r273. It's FAKE NEWS.

Just like Trump voter fraud, Trump manufacturing jobs and immigration reduction.

Prove otherwise, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 351November 3, 2021 1:17 AM

NATHANIEL RAKICH

NOV. 2, 8:55 PM

In addition to Youngkin looking like a good bet to be the next governor of Virginia, it also looks like Republicans are favored to flip the lieutenant governor’s and attorney general’s offices (the Republican nominees lead both races 55 percent to 45 percent right now) as well as the House of Delegates. That would leave Republicans just the state Senate shy of a governing trifecta (the state Senate wasn’t on the ballot this year).

by Anonymousreply 352November 3, 2021 1:17 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353November 3, 2021 1:17 AM

Trump clown won

by Anonymousreply 354November 3, 2021 1:17 AM

What's going to happen to the two bills in Congress now?

by Anonymousreply 355November 3, 2021 1:18 AM

Deplorables don’t even have kids in public schools. None of those people who cried to the school boards have kids in public school. They are all home schooled.

VA just fell for a huge stunt.

by Anonymousreply 356November 3, 2021 1:18 AM

Some of the people here reflect why Democrats are in such dire straights. They are arrogant and insulting toward the very Middle American and swing state voters they need to woo.

by Anonymousreply 357November 3, 2021 1:18 AM

Fuckin shithead Tucker Carlson. How does he explain why the Dems are going to win the New Jersey race?

It's those dead people voting!! I guess Virginia forgot to let dead people vote so we could steal the election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358November 3, 2021 1:19 AM

r274 Yeah the major trans pandering has to end. Relegate that to the corners of tumblr, twitter, and porn. Don't give in or cater to TRAs they are actively harming the LGB community and liberal/progressive coalition

by Anonymousreply 359November 3, 2021 1:19 AM

R351, I don't know what your actual clinical problem is, but can the irrational screech hysteria. At best you're embarrassing yourself. And you're vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 360November 3, 2021 1:20 AM

Wrong, r284. Republicans will just call any inconvenient truth "CRT."

And they can't fool people with the same scams indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 361November 3, 2021 1:20 AM

Virginia Parent Turns Tables on Fox News Host Over Critical Race Theory Obsession

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362November 3, 2021 1:21 AM

R343 That is as much a strawman as what you are suggesting the anti-CRT people are doing. You can't really name a particular book. The CRT stuff isn't really in textbooks or other books given to students. It is in the supplemental materials given to teachers by their district's curriculum support staff, it is in the teacher's editions, it is in training sessions, it was taught to them in graduate school pedagogy classes, none of which are easily accessible to others.

by Anonymousreply 363November 3, 2021 1:23 AM

Turn the tables. GOP stole the election. STOP-the steal. Dead people vote GOP. Dem votes thrown away.

by Anonymousreply 364November 3, 2021 1:23 AM

R346 - Thanks for providing that link. One of the most interesting comments is Nathaniel Rakich's, "In addition to Youngkin looking like a good bet to be the next governor of Virginia, it also looks like Republicans are favored to flip the lieutenant governor’s and attorney general’s offices (the Republican nominees lead both races 55 percent to 45 percent right now) as well as the House of Delegates . . ."

The 10% margin is (at least right now) almost the same as the margin in the gubernatorial race.

It is this kind of outcome that the Democrats need to pay attention to. If they keep pretending not to see the dead canary in the mine, the mine will fall in on them.

by Anonymousreply 365November 3, 2021 1:23 AM

Kellyanne Conway and her new face are on Fox right now! Her face lift actually looks great. Scott Brown is still on, and still a DILF.

Don't yell at me, I was flipping channels and I got sick of MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 366November 3, 2021 1:23 AM

Let’s just scream youngkin cheated. There.

by Anonymousreply 367November 3, 2021 1:23 AM

Poor Terry couldn’t pull this off despite deploying Kamala Harris and Stacey Abrams to make the rounds at Black churches and Obama flying in from his Martha’s Vineyard estate to campaign for him (and Biden too.)

The girls at MSNBC are beside themselves right now. Literally spitting and sputtering. They’re mad at Biden too for ignoring voting rights and police reform.

by Anonymousreply 368November 3, 2021 1:24 AM

I think we need a AUDIT of this Virginia race.

by Anonymousreply 369November 3, 2021 1:24 AM

For those glued to this thread and desperately seeking an escape, I can vouch that this dinnerware is the BOMB and totally high quality for the price. Also, bigger and a little heavier than expected, Go shopping!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370November 3, 2021 1:25 AM

Youngkin cheated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 371November 3, 2021 1:25 AM

R368 That's why I changed the channel! They were being overdramatic.

by Anonymousreply 372November 3, 2021 1:25 AM

How could Youngkin cheat? The current governor is a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 373November 3, 2021 1:26 AM

I dunno. Kornacki is refusing to call it with 71% reporting, ditto the TIMES. There was just a slight 1% change in favour of McAuliffe. Maybe it isn't over.

by Anonymousreply 374November 3, 2021 1:26 AM

Kellyanne was only 49 years old when trump ran in 2016. Really 47 when she first was on the tv circuit pushing CRUZ

I thought she was 65.

by Anonymousreply 375November 3, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote] Scott Brown is still on, and still a DILF.

Wow! I just looked. You're right!

by Anonymousreply 376November 3, 2021 1:26 AM

Can MSNC hire some new people. It’s time.

by Anonymousreply 377November 3, 2021 1:27 AM

Why didn’t Democrats see this coming?

Dec 2020: "The Growing Backlash Against Educational Extremism"

"Parents are growing dissatisfied with an educational establishment that prioritizes renaming schools over opening them up. It’s emerging as a top issue in next year’s VA governor’s race."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378November 3, 2021 1:27 AM

This is not over. There are tons of ballots to be counted. Mail ins and absentees.

It will come down to the wire but Terry could still will by 7,000 votes technically. It is possible.

by Anonymousreply 379November 3, 2021 1:27 AM

R368 - As Graham Norton would say, "Tree up wrong barking." It's perhaps because he deployed Kamala Harris that he might lose tonight.

To say that she has been underwhelming as a political star is to vastly understate the point.

by Anonymousreply 380November 3, 2021 1:28 AM

R369 Here is the thing. I was attacked for saying this during the Trump/Biden election aftermath. But, really I think every statewide election should be routinely and publicly audited. It is the only way to keep conspiracies down and restore trust in the electoral system.

by Anonymousreply 381November 3, 2021 1:28 AM

r314 keeps missing the point.

You can't fool most of the people most of the time. Critical Race Theory won't sustain the Republican Party because it's a hoax, just like "Make America Great."

Democrats are still favored to increase their Senate majority next year and I'd like for you to name one clown who can beat Biden for President in 2024.

Bonus points if you claim the Republican candidate will win running on CRT.

by Anonymousreply 382November 3, 2021 1:28 AM

Something is up. They are not saying it but something changed in the last few minutes.

What gives? Anybody know? They mood has changed.

by Anonymousreply 383November 3, 2021 1:29 AM

Months ago a Socialist (her words) got a surprise primary win in the Buffalo mayoral race. The former mayor (the incumbent she beat) ran against her as a write in candidate and won by a large amount.

by Anonymousreply 384November 3, 2021 1:30 AM

r345

Wasn't called a Boris this time but....

Topic was the enthusiasm gap

Someone said " I just don't know what is driving the democratic apathy."

My reply "Daughters of democrats go to school too."

Further down "No, that's a bullshit answer. Democrats are lazy voters, especially in non presidential years. On the Democratic side, this is about McAuliffe and not about some imaginary issue about daughters in danger. I just don't think he excites the base. "

by Anonymousreply 385November 3, 2021 1:30 AM

Youngkin cheated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 386November 3, 2021 1:30 AM

R382, what fucking country do you think you live in?

by Anonymousreply 387November 3, 2021 1:31 AM

Looking good for Buffalo's incumbent mayor Byron Brown, who has been mounting a write-in campaign to defend his seat against Democratic socialist India Walton.

by Anonymousreply 388November 3, 2021 1:32 AM

Critical Race Theory is just pure dog whistle........it would be like a candidate saying they are going to sign a bill that bans teaching the Martian Language in high school.........it doesn't exist but you could probably get 30 - 40% who think somehow schools are teaching this scary Martian language to their kids....it is all insanity......

by Anonymousreply 389November 3, 2021 1:33 AM

So will Jayapal get much of the credit for a Repig win in Virginia? And get her rightful backlash? She should be destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 390November 3, 2021 1:35 AM

[quote] How could Youngkin cheat? The current governor is a Democrat.

R373 I hope you are also asking, why does Texas and Florida need audits of the 2020 election.

by Anonymousreply 391November 3, 2021 1:35 AM

"Needless to say, tonight's results are consistent w/ a political environment in which Republicans would comfortably take back both the House and Senate in 2022." --- Wasserman

by Anonymousreply 392November 3, 2021 1:35 AM

[quote]Critical Race Theory is just pure dog whistle........it would be like a candidate saying they are going to sign a bill that bans teaching the Martian Language in high school.........it doesn't exist but you could probably get 30 - 40% who think somehow schools are teaching this scary Martian language to their kids....it is all insanity......

Well, Republicans play this dog whistle game over and over, and Democrats don't have any answer to it...and then they lose.

by Anonymousreply 393November 3, 2021 1:36 AM

Democrats are split on whether Biden would be the party's best nominee in 2024 if he runs for reelection: new poll

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394November 3, 2021 1:36 AM

R390 What? One minute you Boris’ are going on that it is TRANS or CRT. Then you say it is progressives.

The vast majority WANT progressive economics, even TFG voters. The culture wars, which Dems won a long time ago, are motivating Rs. It is all made up for the most part. CRT is not taught in public schools and trans are hardly mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 395November 3, 2021 1:37 AM

Mighty Joe has no coat tails

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396November 3, 2021 1:38 AM

R393, that's exactly what DL fav Van Jones just said.

by Anonymousreply 397November 3, 2021 1:38 AM

I'm not surprised either, r339.

I know an Antifa pharmacist who administers COVID vaccines and loots grocery stores for BLM who stopped traffic in DT Norfolk by parking her car at the busiest intersection, stripping down buck naked and slamming Youngkin for Governor signs up her bleeding cunt and asshole for all to see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398November 3, 2021 1:38 AM

Youngkin cheated. The republicans cheated. AUDIT AUDIT AUDIT.

by Anonymousreply 399November 3, 2021 1:38 AM

so racism is winning again

White Gen Xers in Virginia are proving to be not much better than the Boomers

and the dumbass apathetic people who couldn't be bothered to vote

If Youngkin and the repubs run Virginia into the ground it'll be what they deserve

sadly they could well implement voter suppression and nullification laws impacting future Senate and House elections

by Anonymousreply 400November 3, 2021 1:38 AM

[quote] Critical Race Theory is just pure dog whistle........it would be like a candidate saying they are going to sign a bill that bans teaching the Martian Language in high school.........it doesn't exist but you could probably get 30 - 40% who think somehow schools are teaching this scary Martian language to their kids....it is all insanity......

That’s like saying air doesn’t exist. As the McAuliffe campaign proved, it’s not a winning strategy.

by Anonymousreply 401November 3, 2021 1:39 AM

Please stupid,Dems pass infrastructure bill tomorrow. You’re done in.a year.

by Anonymousreply 402November 3, 2021 1:39 AM

R382 Biden is less popular at this point in his presidency than anyone other than Trump, Carter, and Ford. What do they all have in common? They only served one term.

One thing though, they still retained support from their party. According to a recent poll (R394) around 50% of Democrats want a different nominee in 2024. Unless he really changes things quickly, the GOP won't even be running against Biden.

by Anonymousreply 403November 3, 2021 1:39 AM

We'll know more over the next few days, but it doesn't look this was just white voter backlash to CRT. Lots of Black counties moved to the right tonight. Some Black people are offended by the tenants of CRT and we'll probably find out it didn't affect the election that much. This is about the economy, the labor debacle, the price of gas and the supply chain holdup. And the lack of Trump on a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 404November 3, 2021 1:40 AM

Jason Miyares (R) defeats Atty Gen. Mark Herring (D). #VAGOV

by Anonymousreply 405November 3, 2021 1:40 AM

DeSantis-Hawley 2024?

What awful war will they drag us into in their first month in office?

by Anonymousreply 406November 3, 2021 1:40 AM

I am so glad the Republicans are winning in Virginia. Can you see the Republican legislature and new governor banning abortion in their state? When the Supreme Court overturns Roe this or next year, its going to cause an uproar in the country and those people will be supporting the Democrats in state legislatures and in the House and Senate races next year. I think we could keep control of both chambers and even increase the lead in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 407November 3, 2021 1:42 AM

Fax hasn’t even called it yet. Something is up. Terry is going to win.

There is over 300,000 early votes and countless absentees that go back weeks to when Terry was leading.

by Anonymousreply 408November 3, 2021 1:42 AM

People are also concerned about crime in cities, about inflation, about supply chain problems.

by Anonymousreply 409November 3, 2021 1:42 AM

R382 Call it CRT, a “dog whistle,” coded racism, whatever. There is a progressive agenda beig pushed in the schools, parents know it and they’re fed up with that shit. That’s why McAuluffe died tonight. He let the mask slip with that famous gaffe and he paid the price.

by Anonymousreply 410November 3, 2021 1:42 AM

r360 = still empty-handed as a Fake News troll.

How vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 411November 3, 2021 1:42 AM

Americans continue to be absolute dumbasses

the majority of white Americans are racist scumbags

many non-scumbag Americans just can't be bothered to vote and think "oh my vote doesn't matter". "Oh both parties are the same!" "Only Presidential elections matter"

by Anonymousreply 412November 3, 2021 1:43 AM

Ne Jersey has narrowed dramatically. Dramatically.

by Anonymousreply 413November 3, 2021 1:43 AM

WHET is this 'Stay On Message"?

by Anonymousreply 414November 3, 2021 1:43 AM

There are as many as 600,000 votes to be counted which could go 66percent for Terry. That will put him over.

There is a reason the even right wing media has not called it.

by Anonymousreply 415November 3, 2021 1:43 AM

R382 - I didn't suggest it would "sustain" the Republican Party. I suggested that there is a great deal of anger out there being funnelled through CRT in large swaths of the population who vote. "Make America Great Again" got Trump the Electoral College in 2016, and whilst he lost in 2020, he got a huge number of votes - a shockingly huge number of votes even as the loser. Again, this is the dead canary in the mine.

Nothing lasts forever or even most of the time. But it can last long enough to get people elected - perhaps not repeatedly, but elected.

I saw this happen in England when Labour's margins began to erode in by-elections in places like Heywood-Middleton. And then, one day, after Labour had refused to listen to concerns about immigration . . . the margin didn't just erode, it was gone.

Meanwhile, there does seem to be some movement at last breaking down the 10pt margin Youngkin has enjoyed for most of the night.

But narrow wins can be dangerous, too. Heywood Middleton went to Labour with a margin that had dwindled from about 6,000 to 600. And then, finally, in 2018 - it went Tory. And during all those intervening years, Labour ignored the same concerns.

by Anonymousreply 416November 3, 2021 1:43 AM

We definitely have a DLer at MSNBC and it's a pervy one, we just got like a 2 minute camera of Steve Kornacki's butt.

by Anonymousreply 417November 3, 2021 1:44 AM

This is going to overtime. For some reason, Kornaki is not being forthright. There was a switch and he is not acknowledging it.

by Anonymousreply 418November 3, 2021 1:44 AM

[quote] This is about the economy, the labor debacle, the price of gas and the supply chain holdup.

It's never about this. Most Americans vote against their own self interest time and time again.

by Anonymousreply 419November 3, 2021 1:44 AM

R418 what do you mean by switch?

by Anonymousreply 420November 3, 2021 1:45 AM

This is about a weak, ineffective Democratic administration thus far. No major legislation, with both the infrastructure bill and build back better at risk of dying on the vine. No meaningful action against the 1/6 insurrection. Bannon and Flynn and the entire Trump family continuing to cause chaos with absolutely no consequence. Pitiful.

by Anonymousreply 421November 3, 2021 1:45 AM

a good comeback for public polling. they caught the last couple weeks of momentum

by Anonymousreply 422November 3, 2021 1:45 AM

the willingness of so many Americans to keep voting for repubs despite all the bullshit and autocratic, fascist behavior they've exhibited shows how dumb we are as a country. Too many don't even watch the fucking news while others watch right wing propaganda

Political apathy combined with straight up propaganda could well bring our country down next year and then seal our fate in 2024 at this rate.

by Anonymousreply 423November 3, 2021 1:45 AM

Name them, r363.

And any single instance where it affected a public student's curriculum, proof that it caused the curriculum, and proof that they were teaching something that isn't true.

You can't, because you're a right-wing troll running on fumes and bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 424November 3, 2021 1:45 AM

Dems in the VA House of Delegates are getting clobbered too.

Good luck, Virginians. You're gonna need it.

by Anonymousreply 425November 3, 2021 1:46 AM

R413, I texted a friend this morning that I thought Virginia was lost & I was just hoping the Dems could win in NJ.

by Anonymousreply 426November 3, 2021 1:47 AM

I only feel sorry for the Virginians who voted for the Democrats in this race. All the repub voters, third party voters and eligible non-voters deserve whatever nonsense repub rule brings them

by Anonymousreply 427November 3, 2021 1:47 AM

There was a switch in tone and certainly to my eyes and ears about 10 min ago. Maybe I imagined it.

by Anonymousreply 428November 3, 2021 1:48 AM

All right, so the TIMES reports that 80% of the total vote is in. My question is, how can there still be enough unreported votes to change substantially the remaining 8% margin?

by Anonymousreply 429November 3, 2021 1:48 AM

CRT/antiracism, law and order/crime/police, illegal immigration, restoring the economy/supply chain/inflation/deficit spending.

They have it. For 2022 and 2024.

by Anonymousreply 430November 3, 2021 1:48 AM

But, R425, the Dems still retain the upper chamber. So good luck to the Republicans in getting anything done.

by Anonymousreply 431November 3, 2021 1:48 AM

the takeaway for MSNBC panelists is that Democrats didn't talk enough about race. really.

by Anonymousreply 432November 3, 2021 1:48 AM

Ahahhahahahhahaha VA you are going to get FUCKED over. All the progress you’ve made over the last 10 years will be gone in a fucking flash. You’ll make FL look sane. CONGRATS!

by Anonymousreply 433November 3, 2021 1:49 AM

r387 failed the assignment.

by Anonymousreply 434November 3, 2021 1:49 AM

MSNBC talking heads are super pissed-off. It's all racist, they're saying.

by Anonymousreply 435November 3, 2021 1:49 AM

That 20 percent is 600k votes.

That is enough for Terry to make up 200k votes at @66%.

Fox News must believe that Terry has that 66%

by Anonymousreply 436November 3, 2021 1:50 AM

R418 - What sort of "switch" do you mean?

by Anonymousreply 437November 3, 2021 1:50 AM

R434

by Anonymousreply 438November 3, 2021 1:50 AM

[Quote] the majority of white Americans are racist scumbags

This is proving to be such a winning message for the Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 439November 3, 2021 1:50 AM

DeSantis/Youngkin 2024?

by Anonymousreply 440November 3, 2021 1:51 AM

R431 Yes. But D only has 1-2 seat majority. And 2023 could change that too.

by Anonymousreply 441November 3, 2021 1:51 AM

A switch in tone. They were all “when the Republican Governor assumes power” to “if a Republican Governor” assumes power…

It seemed to go from certain to not so sure now. That is my interpretation.

by Anonymousreply 442November 3, 2021 1:51 AM

That should be their slogan in 2022. It’s a winner baby,

by Anonymousreply 443November 3, 2021 1:51 AM

[quote]the majority of white Americans are racist scumbags

Well, that’s certainly what a lot of Americans fear their children are being taught.

by Anonymousreply 444November 3, 2021 1:52 AM

“ The vast majority WANT progressive economics, even TFG voters. The culture wars, which Dems won a long time ago, are motivating Rs. It is all made up for the most part. CRT is not taught in public schools and trans are hardly mentioned” Wrong. If Dems won culture war, why do they keep losing because of cultural issues? And although polls may indicate Americans nominally support some progressive economic policies, it is clear most Dont consistently vote based on that alleged support. In fact, recent history reflects what whenever Democrats attempt to enact such policies (with the exception of minimum wage increases), voters punish Democrats for being too liberal or “socialists.” Often, moderate Democrats sabotage such attempts or water them down severely

by Anonymousreply 445November 3, 2021 1:52 AM

Youngkin cheated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!AUDIT AUDIT

by Anonymousreply 446November 3, 2021 1:52 AM

R439 no it's proving to be a winning strategy for repubs. They know most white voters are racist and count on it to win

by Anonymousreply 447November 3, 2021 1:52 AM

Terry is going to win.

Rachel seems happier in the last 10 minutes. Maybe she knows something.

by Anonymousreply 448November 3, 2021 1:52 AM

R445 Wrong Americans have always supported progressive economics. The media, owned by corps, sabotages them.

by Anonymousreply 449November 3, 2021 1:53 AM

Fake News @ r404.

Prove it, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 450November 3, 2021 1:54 AM

Kornacki keeps saying he doesn't see how there are enough votes to make up the gap

by Anonymousreply 451November 3, 2021 1:54 AM

For R424

And: "Below are the resources the Office of Equity and Community Engagement references in the development of our work":

Foundations of Critical Race Theory in Education by Edward Taylor and David Gillborn and Gloria Ladson-Billings

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452November 3, 2021 1:54 AM

No, R436, these cable networks are all about ratings. If they call the race, they lose viewers.

by Anonymousreply 453November 3, 2021 1:54 AM

GOOOOOO TERRY!!!

He’s going to eeeek this out.

They did this to Roy Cooper in 2020. Repubs claimed victory but it turned out Roy won the absentee and later ballots.

by Anonymousreply 454November 3, 2021 1:54 AM

R431, Democrats have a one vote margin in the VA Senate, and one of those Democrats may be switching parties and votes conservative

by Anonymousreply 455November 3, 2021 1:54 AM

So a year ago Virginians voted for Biden and Harris by 10%. Tonight Youngkin will win by ~2%. We're supposed to believe that in one year so many of these same voters became racist enough to swing the state by 12 points? And elect a Black woman as Lt Gov and a Hispanic AG?

by Anonymousreply 456November 3, 2021 1:54 AM

Democrats pulling ahead in NJ.

by Anonymousreply 457November 3, 2021 1:55 AM

All right, Kornacki just said that even if McAuliffe gets Biden-level support from the absentee votes, with Youngkin also expected to pull in some of those, it's unlikely to be enough for McAuliffe to close and surpass the 184,000 vote lead Youngkin has.

by Anonymousreply 458November 3, 2021 1:55 AM

Downballot----->>Trumps endorsed candidate in Ohio--Mike Carey---won....Carey is full on Trumper....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459November 3, 2021 1:55 AM

racism is the repub platform. White Gen Xers are proving to be as idiotic as white Boomers

by Anonymousreply 460November 3, 2021 1:56 AM

R424 What part of "not accessible to others" do you not understand? It is designed that way to avoid scrutiny. I know this because of my graduate school experience and subsequent work in educational fields.

But, since you asked here is a slide that was shared with Fairfax county teachers. It is "white supremacy" now, apparently, to value perfectionism, urgency, the written word, accepting there is only one way to do something, either/or thinking, not wanting open conflict, individualism, objectivity, etc... Which many black people, themselves, find racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 461November 3, 2021 1:56 AM

R456 numbers are interesting. Maybe republicans did cheat. What else could explain it?

by Anonymousreply 462November 3, 2021 1:56 AM

Definitely a closer race than expected in New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 463November 3, 2021 1:56 AM

I realize why some here are so prone to block posters that say these they dislike and accuse people of being Boris or Repubs. They have a hard time dealing with the reality of bad news. They engage in magical thinking contrary to objective evidence. It’s a disorder

by Anonymousreply 464November 3, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote]Democrats pulling ahead in NJ.

MSNBC has the Rep ahead.

by Anonymousreply 465November 3, 2021 1:57 AM

Sarah Sanders on Fox also trying on a new, slightly less haggish look, right now.

by Anonymousreply 466November 3, 2021 1:57 AM

Tucker is implying Dems are messing with the Fairfax County vote.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467November 3, 2021 1:58 AM

Wasserman already called VA on Twitter. Hours ago.

I logged on, saw the reaction about how VA’s new GOP gov will redraw the map and make it impossible for Dems to keep the House next year, and we’ll be out of power for years if not decades. “It’s over.”

Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 468November 3, 2021 1:58 AM

r410 calls any inconvenient truth "CRT."

Republicans believe any provable information that is unflattering to them or their fantasy of what "America" or "history" is must be cancelled and censored.

That's because Republicans are neo-Nazis who want to destroy the U.S., anyone different than themselves and democracy itself.

Republicans aren't worthy of controlling the law or government, they're just Nazis. And look how well that turned out for Germany.

by Anonymousreply 469November 3, 2021 1:58 AM

[quote] I was just hoping the Dems could win in NJ.

(35%)

Murphy (D) 481,954 48.7

Ciattarelli (R) 498,954 50.5

by Anonymousreply 470November 3, 2021 1:59 AM

Americans are nervous to grant too much power to one party and almost always vote to ensure a divided government. and we are an impatient people, always upset that new officials can't change everything in 3 months.

by Anonymousreply 471November 3, 2021 1:59 AM

what the hell is going on in New Jersey? I though it was supposed to be a blowout for the Democrat?

by Anonymousreply 472November 3, 2021 1:59 AM

So glad I'll be dead in a couple of decades. The USA IS FUCKED, and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 473November 3, 2021 2:00 AM

Nate Cohn:

Democrats may be poised for big disappointment in Virginia, but they do seem likely to hold on in New Jersey — even though the Republican leads at the moment. Virtually all the reported vote is from Republican areas.

by Anonymousreply 474November 3, 2021 2:00 AM

What music is Eric Adams playing?! So weird.

by Anonymousreply 475November 3, 2021 2:00 AM

[quote]We're supposed to believe that in one year so many of these same voters became racist enough to swing the state by 12 points? And elect a Black woman as Lt Gov and a Hispanic AG?

There is certainly a strong current of racism still alive in this country, but I think DLers paint too broad a brush when they blame every vote they don’t like on it.

by Anonymousreply 476November 3, 2021 2:01 AM

yup after the midterms next year we're really screwed.

Unless the rest of America fucking wakes up and stops being retarded, the repubs will come back to power in Congress, raise hell and then fix the 2024 elections. We'll be a full-on autocratic country in which only the repubs win by rigging everything

by Anonymousreply 477November 3, 2021 2:01 AM

I think the ethnic breakdown of votes is going to surprise Dems.

by Anonymousreply 478November 3, 2021 2:02 AM

Okay... and, now low Black turnout is being blamed. I wrote this on one of these threads months ago. In general the Black community IS PISSED! No anti-lynching law. No George Floyd passage. No voting rights legislation. Nothing!

But now, you still want the Black vote?

by Anonymousreply 479November 3, 2021 2:02 AM

The U.S.A. is not comparable to the U.K., r416, because Labour has been running on all sorts of unpopular positions for the last 20 years.

Democrats run on overwhelmingly popular platforms. We have a crisis of Fake News, lack of education, a rigged electoral college, gerrymandered Congressional districts and artificially powerful Senate representation that the U.K. DOES NOT have..

by Anonymousreply 480November 3, 2021 2:02 AM

R460 they always were.

by Anonymousreply 481November 3, 2021 2:02 AM

R468 - Is Wasserman a gifted psychic? If the MSM are refusing to call this with 82% of the vote in, there must be a reason.

by Anonymousreply 482November 3, 2021 2:03 AM

Minneapolis had a ballot measure to replace the police with a dept of public safety. It is losing by double digits with most precincts counted

by Anonymousreply 483November 3, 2021 2:03 AM

The Dems are a huge disappointment. I hope they get slaughtered next year and maybe that will wake some people up, so that they can unite to defeat trump. Right now it seems a complete takeover is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 484November 3, 2021 2:04 AM

Voting by Latinos and Asians is going to surprise Dems. They will be displeased. They'll blame white supremacy.

by Anonymousreply 485November 3, 2021 2:04 AM

I bet Eric Adams was hot when he was in his 20s/30s

by Anonymousreply 486November 3, 2021 2:04 AM

Trumper Mike Carey won in Ohio. Coal Lobbyist. In his Victory Speech he declared this is a Republican Wave that will continue thru 2022. Not a good sign...Another Trump Endorsed Candidate has won.

by Anonymousreply 487November 3, 2021 2:05 AM

A horrible night for the woke crowd. I can’t believe NJ is this close. Insane.

by Anonymousreply 488November 3, 2021 2:05 AM

He speaks like he's border-line retarded.

by Anonymousreply 489November 3, 2021 2:05 AM

[quote]Okay... and, now low Black turnout is being blamed. I wrote this on one of these threads months ago. In general the Black community IS PISSED! No anti-lynching law. No George Floyd passage. No voting rights legislation. Nothing!

This is exactly why Democrats need to stop pandering to blacks. It drives white moderate voters away in droves, and blacks don't show up to vote anyway.

by Anonymousreply 490November 3, 2021 2:05 AM

R484 if the Democrats lose next year there's not going to be a chance to win in 2024. The repubs will pass national voter suppression and nullification laws. All the swing states will be fucked and Democrats won't be able to win

by Anonymousreply 491November 3, 2021 2:05 AM

It’s Obama fault if Terry loses. He never should have went to Virginia and taunted that rape victim. Fucking piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 492November 3, 2021 2:05 AM

Let’s focus on teaching social issues like white supremacy and privilege! What could go wrong! 🤪

by Anonymousreply 493November 3, 2021 2:05 AM

The polls have always mostly been accurate, Fake News Troll @ r422.

You can keep repeating the lie that they don't matter while you insist Trafalgar polls always matter, but every reader can prove for himself that the polls accurately predicted Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden would both win the popular vote against Trump AND THEY DID.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 494November 3, 2021 2:06 AM

R482, Wasserman is almost always right when he makes a call. If he says Youngkin is going to win Virginia, there's about a 99% chance he's right.

by Anonymousreply 495November 3, 2021 2:06 AM

Is Poll Troll actually a notable pundit? I've always wondered what his ID was.

by Anonymousreply 496November 3, 2021 2:07 AM

(87%)

Youngkin (R) 1,405,999 52.9

McAuliffe (D) 1,233,336 46.4

Blanding (L) 18,568 0.7

We're just about at the point for McAuliffe to win he would have to get every remaining vote

by Anonymousreply 497November 3, 2021 2:07 AM

R480 - I agree that the parallels are not perfect. But there does seem to be a curious tendency in both Labour and the Democrats to ignore dead canaries. I'm just not sure why.

by Anonymousreply 498November 3, 2021 2:07 AM

I hope Youngkin and the repubs run Virginia into the ground. It's what they deserve for supporting racism, anti-science and anti-logic.

Also fuck Manchin and Sinema for delaying the Democratic agenda for MONTHS

by Anonymousreply 499November 3, 2021 2:08 AM

May I just take a moment to mention how adorable Kornacki looks with his paper full of squiggles in his mouth, his frown as he runs numbers, and his specs?

by Anonymousreply 500November 3, 2021 2:08 AM

Nate Cohen is my preferred election prediction geek, much hotter than Kornacki. Although his new glasses (not the ones in this picture) make him look like a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501November 3, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote]The Dems are a huge disappointment. I hope they get slaughtered next year

They are going to get slaughtered. Just as the Black community has walked away tonight so too will they then

by Anonymousreply 502November 3, 2021 2:09 AM

there's nothing adorable about Kornacki

by Anonymousreply 503November 3, 2021 2:09 AM

The curious part is there is almost zero sense of the Youngkin agenda, all he had promised is to take on schools, put limits on property taxes, and eliminate the grocery sales tax. What is the true agenda? Looks like we are going to find out.

by Anonymousreply 504November 3, 2021 2:10 AM

Who's winning in VA?

by Anonymousreply 505November 3, 2021 2:10 AM

Steve Lorna kid is so hot. I wonder if his hole is tight or loose.

by Anonymousreply 506November 3, 2021 2:10 AM

*kornacki

by Anonymousreply 507November 3, 2021 2:10 AM

Nate Cohn says it's looking like Younkin will end up winning by 2 points.

by Anonymousreply 508November 3, 2021 2:11 AM

Democrats are enlightened and know what’s good for people. Anyone who doesn’t agree with them is a racist and must be mocked.

by Anonymousreply 509November 3, 2021 2:11 AM

lmfao white women voters are going big time for Youngkin. It's always race over everything with them. Let's see if the repubs try to ban abortion now in Virginia

by Anonymousreply 510November 3, 2021 2:11 AM

r452 failed the assignment.

r452 did not name one "woke" book required by Virginia for students to read, nor did r452 prove that such a book is untrue.

If you were a good person and black people say they're being treated unfairly, you would listen and read what they have to say.

by Anonymousreply 511November 3, 2021 2:11 AM

get ready for autocracy after the 2022 midterms. Biden may end up being our last truly elected president

by Anonymousreply 512November 3, 2021 2:12 AM

R503 - Chacun a son gout, mon ami.

by Anonymousreply 513November 3, 2021 2:12 AM

Omg

by Anonymousreply 514November 3, 2021 2:12 AM

R498 Yes. Both Labour and the Democrats seem to cater to their metropolitan elites and activists, while ignoring the working poor that has long been their base. Working class voters do not like unrestricted immigration because they are the ones that pay the price, they don't like free-trade because they are the ones that pay the price, they don't like being blamed for the historical ills of the country when it wasn't them it was the elites. You cannot spend all your time ignoring a group of people and their concerns and expect them to continue to vote for you.

by Anonymousreply 515November 3, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote]This is exactly why Democrats need to stop pandering to blacks. It drives white moderate voters away in droves, and blacks don't show up to vote anyway.

Begging for an anti-lynching law, protecting the voting rights of Black people, and to better police enforcement, is pandering?

by Anonymousreply 516November 3, 2021 2:13 AM

The dems commitment to anti science “trans” agenda is fucking everything up!

by Anonymousreply 517November 3, 2021 2:14 AM

Why can't Democrats get the public fired up with emotion? Stop being so calm and educated. Use hyperbole and scare tactics. Don't make shit up like repubs but get the emotion of the public on your side.

The dumbass repub voters run on pure emotion and what they want to hear, not what the truth is

by Anonymousreply 518November 3, 2021 2:14 AM

R517, not everything, but it certainly isn't helping.

Thanks, Obama!

by Anonymousreply 519November 3, 2021 2:15 AM

My partner and I generally never argue at all, but he became very "concerned, as he put it, about my obsession with politics when Trump won in 2016. We've even gone to counseling over it. Essentially, every counselor and psychiatrist we've ever been to has told me the same thing: vote and do my part but stop volunteering for candidates and spending my every non-working hour working on and obsessing over politics.

by Anonymousreply 520November 3, 2021 2:15 AM

all white women who vote R deserve to have their pussies grabbed.

by Anonymousreply 521November 3, 2021 2:15 AM

You just know that old worthless coon Doug Wilder is loving this.

by Anonymousreply 522November 3, 2021 2:16 AM

r464 = sociopath who's made false and partisan election calls for the last 5 years.

Even a stopped sociopath is right twice per day. You're an unsustainable house of cards whose Fake News can't survive on any media platform besides the right-wing cesspit of DL.

by Anonymousreply 523November 3, 2021 2:16 AM

R510 Women are their own worst enemies.

by Anonymousreply 524November 3, 2021 2:17 AM

R521, The dems support the rape of women by trans folks. I can’t judge for women for not voting for politicians that support men being naked in their locker rooms and bathrooms.

It’s not right.

by Anonymousreply 525November 3, 2021 2:17 AM

Cornell Belcher says this is catastrophic. MSNBC.

by Anonymousreply 526November 3, 2021 2:18 AM

[quote]Okay... and, now low Black turnout is being blamed. I wrote this on one of these threads months ago. In general the Black community IS PISSED! No anti-lynching law. No George Floyd passage. No voting rights legislation. Nothing!

If that's what they want, why do they think they'll get it if they vote for the Rethugs?

[quote][R452] did not name one "woke" book required by Virginia for students to read, nor did [R452] prove that such a book is untrue.

Not R452 but why do we STILL think the average parent cares about the minutiae of facts when every day they see on SM and assorted FauxFake news outlets that they'll be cancelled?

by Anonymousreply 527November 3, 2021 2:18 AM

R518, that's the thesis of Dr. Drew Westen's book, "The Political Brain". It contains scientific research that shows that most voters are motivated by emotion and that Republicans often use it better than Democrats. Westen (a Democrat) shows how FDR, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama used charisma in order to win elections and how more Democratic candidates need to do the same.

by Anonymousreply 528November 3, 2021 2:18 AM

McAuliffe speaking...

by Anonymousreply 529November 3, 2021 2:19 AM

So Fairfax County is over according to Kornicki, and McAuliffe failed to meet his hoped for 68% stopping at below 65%, whilst Youngkin passed his hoped for 33%-34% and got to 35%. He didn't have to win the county, he just had to get to the 5-8% better margin than Trump did, i.e., recovering voters that Trump lost in 2020.

At this point, Kornacki is saying that even with the absentee ballots, some of which will go to Youngkin, Kornacki doesn't see how McAuliffe can make up a 124,000 votes.

That's as close as Kornacki has come to calling it for Youngkin.

by Anonymousreply 530November 3, 2021 2:19 AM

Youngkin's lead has shrunk to 5 percent.

The Democratic counties are finally reporting.

by Anonymousreply 531November 3, 2021 2:19 AM

This means Youngkin's lead has been cut in HALF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532November 3, 2021 2:20 AM

I think TM is conceding.

by Anonymousreply 533November 3, 2021 2:20 AM

McAuliffe's classy daughter behind him looks glum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534November 3, 2021 2:22 AM

R528 I think it should be obvious to anyone working in politics but I think many of the Democratic operatives must live in a bubble.

While they should respect the voters they have who are intelligent, they should put detailed plans on their websites. When they campaign to the public they should dumb it down. Clearly that works for repubs.

by Anonymousreply 535November 3, 2021 2:22 AM

R351- The problem is that they aren't solely Democratic counties, and some counties are finally reporting that are Republican.

by Anonymousreply 536November 3, 2021 2:22 AM

Not yet.

by Anonymousreply 537November 3, 2021 2:22 AM

The Democratic failure to pass Biden’s infrastructure bill and some parts of BBB is part of this. Makes Biden loom weak and ineffectual. Democrats are committing suicide but don’t seem to care.

by Anonymousreply 538November 3, 2021 2:23 AM

Nope, just rally the troops.

by Anonymousreply 539November 3, 2021 2:23 AM

is he just bluffing? Why so upbeat? I hope a miracle happens but hard to see him turning the gap around

by Anonymousreply 540November 3, 2021 2:23 AM

R535 - It's old news that people vote with their guts, not their brains.

by Anonymousreply 541November 3, 2021 2:24 AM

r479 Not to mention that 450k pay out to those who aren't even citizens for Trump's nonsense but reparations for 400 year slavery is not even entertained.

by Anonymousreply 542November 3, 2021 2:24 AM

The Supreme Court can now safely start rendering all the rightwing verdicts they’ve been holding back. America will once again surrender itself to the flabby arms of the GOP. They’ll have the House, Senate and White House by 2024.

by Anonymousreply 543November 3, 2021 2:25 AM

Younkin's lead down to just about 5%. It will be very interesting if all the polls turned out to be right, after all, and this was a dead heat just as they predicted.

by Anonymousreply 544November 3, 2021 2:26 AM

In Minneapolis it looks like Mayor Frey will win re-election, Question 1 will pass (give more power to the mayors office), Question 2 will be defeated (replace police with a new department of safety) and city council will become more moderate

by Anonymousreply 545November 3, 2021 2:26 AM

Can you imagine 8 years of the GOP after Biden? Will it be Carter-Reagan again?

by Anonymousreply 546November 3, 2021 2:27 AM

[quote]If that's what they want, why do they think they'll get it if they vote for the Rethugs?

Black people did not vote for rethugs. They simply didn't come out.

Look... Black folks of this country have suffered injustices for hundreds of years in this country. Yep, things have improved but there is still a lot to improve. To suffer a few more years to get the message across of what the community wants is just another part of the trial and tribulations stories in the Black experience. Corey Booker not getting that George Floyd passed was HUGE! The community doesn't blame Tim Scott. They blame Booker.

by Anonymousreply 547November 3, 2021 2:27 AM

If Democrats moderated their positions, distanced from CRT and trans rights,and gave Biden some wins things would look better in 2022. Won’t happen though.

by Anonymousreply 548November 3, 2021 2:27 AM

R538 Place the blame where it truly belongs: Manchin & Sinema.

by Anonymousreply 549November 3, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote]how FDR, Bill Clinton and Barack Obama used charisma in order to win elections and how more Democratic candidates need to do the same.

First they have to actually recruit charismatic candidates.

Then these charismatic candidates should keep foot away from mouth (Call me, Beto!) and learn to speak Bill Clinton to the electorate.

That's a tall order for the current Dem crop.

by Anonymousreply 550November 3, 2021 2:29 AM

[quote]The community doesn't blame Tim Scott. They blame Booker.

Why? That makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 551November 3, 2021 2:29 AM

Two special congressional elections in Oho

Dems win one repubs win one

Datalounge favorite Shontel Brown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552November 3, 2021 2:30 AM

I lived in Virginia during McAullife's first term, and it's not like anyone missed those years. Besides, with such a large military and federal employee presence, Virginia was never as blue as some people seemed to think.

I suspected Youngkin stood a good shot when I hung out with a good friend and he excitedly asked if I was voting for Youngkin. I reminded him I'm no longer registered in Virginia, but it made me realize all the Republicans who voted against Trump (like my friend) didn't magically become Democrats. They found a reason to come home while Democrats found a reason to stay away.

One more thing: Northern Virginia is the reason Virginia has seemed increasingly blue, however, the issues that have dominated the past year didn't work in Democrats' favor. School name changes, transgender bathrooms, COVID restrictions, inflation, and violent crime pouring in from DC and Maryland seemed to have people on edge.

by Anonymousreply 553November 3, 2021 2:30 AM

[quote]Black people did not vote for rethugs. They simply didn't come out.

Same difference. When will people get that not voting is like voting for the Rethug?

by Anonymousreply 554November 3, 2021 2:30 AM

DeSantis reminds me of Clinton actually.

by Anonymousreply 555November 3, 2021 2:30 AM

R546 if the repubs regain both House and Senate next year they're going to "win" the 2024 elections by rigging everything.

It would be very dumbass yet American-like for us to quickly snap back to repubs following the disaster of Trump and the insurrection and coronavirus

by Anonymousreply 556November 3, 2021 2:31 AM

I bet it'll be like W again if DeSantis wins in 2024. Not like Trump. We'll have war again. It'll be miserable.

by Anonymousreply 557November 3, 2021 2:32 AM

I can't remember another election where, with 88% of the vote in, no one will call it.

by Anonymousreply 558November 3, 2021 2:33 AM

Dems better fucking learn that every damn day is a new PR battle. And they have to start playing to win those battles. Promises of great things to come down the line just don't work anymore. Get legislation passed immediately. The infrastructure bill has been turned into a nothing burger because the party killing progressives insist on BBB or nothing. Well they very well could end up with nothing. Fucking idiots. Incompetent Jayapal leading the way to a Repig autocracy.

by Anonymousreply 559November 3, 2021 2:33 AM

Not much talk here about what McAuliffe represents. He is the epitome of the Democratic machine. He's got Bill and Hillary and Nancy and Barack flowing through his veins. (Poor Joe's not in any condition to give anyone a transfusion.)

How can his sweeping loss be viewed as anything but a rejection of that machine?

by Anonymousreply 560November 3, 2021 2:34 AM

I'm hearing this music in my head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561November 3, 2021 2:34 AM

Some good news. "RESULT: Austin has rejected Prop A, the right's effort to increase police funding. The prop has lost by a wide margin (now down 67/33)."

by Anonymousreply 562November 3, 2021 2:34 AM

[quote]Corey Booker not getting that George Floyd passed was HUGE! The community doesn't blame Tim Scott. They blame Booker.

Forget about CRT, people have lost simple critical thinking skills.

by Anonymousreply 563November 3, 2021 2:34 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564November 3, 2021 2:36 AM

I thought Murphy in NJ was a sure thing. What happened?

by Anonymousreply 565November 3, 2021 2:37 AM

I’ve been saying since last November that Covid did not do the Dems any electoral favor. That Trump lost because he was so personally hated, not because of his handling of the pandemic. The results of the 2020 down ballot races confirmed that. As do tonight’s results.

by Anonymousreply 566November 3, 2021 2:37 AM

Sure it does R551. People wanted to see and feel as if Booker fought for that bill as if his very life depended upon it because saving future Black lives will depend upon it. And, maybe he did but that did not come across as such to the general Black population.

by Anonymousreply 567November 3, 2021 2:38 AM

Nate Cohn on New Jersey:

It's hard to get a good grip on New Jersey, imo. Not only are we missing result by method, but there's not much consistency among the higher turnout, presumably nearly-done counties. There just aren't many data points in a state w 12 counties or whatever, esp if they're noisy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568November 3, 2021 2:38 AM

The white guilt schtick is running dry.

by Anonymousreply 569November 3, 2021 2:38 AM

(58%)

Murphy (D) 715,292 47.9

Ciattarelli (R) 767,162 51.4

by Anonymousreply 570November 3, 2021 2:38 AM

Even if we’re screwed next year, remember that the party in power suffered massive defeats in the off-year elections of ‘82, ‘94 & ‘10, only to come back to retain the presidency in the next elections.

by Anonymousreply 571November 3, 2021 2:40 AM

[quote] Why? That makes no sense.

Because Tim Scott's bill would've been passed by an overwhelming majority and delivered something, even if they thought that it didn't go far enough. Booker's bill was DOA. Most people understand it is better to get some of what you want rather than to get nothing because you are holding out for everything you desire.

by Anonymousreply 572November 3, 2021 2:40 AM

Trump is claiming he won because of him at the same time claiming election fruad.

by Anonymousreply 573November 3, 2021 2:40 AM

R564 I bet all those white women switching to Repub are TERFs 😤

by Anonymousreply 574November 3, 2021 2:41 AM

Youngkin's lead seems to have stabilised at about 5% now, with 89% of the vote in.

by Anonymousreply 575November 3, 2021 2:42 AM

The election in NJ should not be this close. This is like Nixon’s silent majority win. A complete sea change.

by Anonymousreply 576November 3, 2021 2:44 AM

Democrats are really great dancers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577November 3, 2021 2:44 AM

I knew lots of VA voters and they aren’t focused on the trans/CRT stuff the trolls here are always going on about. They are just tired of covid and desperate enlighten to vote for any change, plus they enjoy thinking of themselves as moderate after four years of feeling insane all the time because of how much they hated Trump. It’s a (stupid) way to tell themselves things will change.

by Anonymousreply 578November 3, 2021 2:47 AM

These numbers prove that Trump is toxic to republicans. Maybe this will be the amunition they need to dump him.

by Anonymousreply 579November 3, 2021 2:47 AM

R525

I rarely say this here, but you're right and I agree. I wouldn't wanna piss with trannies like Brucilla next to me either.

by Anonymousreply 580November 3, 2021 2:47 AM

Watching McAuliffe dance was like watching Al Gore do the Macarena in 1996

by Anonymousreply 581November 3, 2021 2:48 AM

[quote] I knew lots of VA voters and they aren’t focused on the trans/CRT stuff

They are the kind of people you would know. That’s all we need to know.

by Anonymousreply 582November 3, 2021 2:49 AM

How do you get that, R579? Republicans have had a great night.

by Anonymousreply 583November 3, 2021 2:49 AM

I really can't do it anymore. This will be the last election I work on. I'm forty-four and my partner is a thirty-eight-year-old US Marshal. I'm an oncologist in private practice. Unlike my partner, I've had the luxury of surrounding myself with like-minded people at work. If you're a Republican, you're going to be MISERABLE working in my office, and over the years I've managed to ferret out those that got by my Spidey sense at interview. The times are just so different now than they were ten years ago. Back then, I still had some respect for those who were on opposite side of the political spectrum. Nowadays I find myself HATING them.

I'll always be a political animal and I'll always work on presidential elections, but I just--for the sake of my relationship--have to stop being so involved in every single election. The cost is just too high.

by Anonymousreply 584November 3, 2021 2:49 AM

Panelists on 538 are also doubtful that the remaining votes will give McAuliffe enough for even a slight lead., and are wondering why with 91% of the vote in, the race hasn't been called. Dan Merica reports that TM's family are in tears, and that aides are consoling each other.

by Anonymousreply 585November 3, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote]They are just tired of covid

Do they think they can vote it out?

by Anonymousreply 586November 3, 2021 2:50 AM

R584, frankly, it sounds like you should.

by Anonymousreply 587November 3, 2021 2:51 AM

McAuliffe is doing badly so MSNBC digs up ONE young black guy winning a delegate race and focus on him instead

by Anonymousreply 588November 3, 2021 2:51 AM

R586 I think it’s more of a psychological thing than anything logical. I would never have voted for Youngkin myself. These people aren’t necessarily my smartest friends and I’m not defending them, just answering the constant trolling of this thread about CRT.

There’s also the fact that Youngkin looks more like a Romney guy than a Trump guy. He appeals to country club people in a way Trump didn’t (although many of them lied and voted for him anyway).

by Anonymousreply 589November 3, 2021 2:53 AM

McAuliffe should just say he won. Trump is still doing it a year later.

by Anonymousreply 590November 3, 2021 2:53 AM

No, R586, but, especially with declining numbers, it’s just something we have to do our best to live with.

by Anonymousreply 591November 3, 2021 2:53 AM

I think a new era is coming. After Biden. The pendulum is swinging back already.

I bet we'll "liberate" Iran this time. Another $3 trillion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592November 3, 2021 2:53 AM

Well, I'm glad you agree, R587

by Anonymousreply 593November 3, 2021 2:55 AM

I doubt that. But you sound a little nuts.

by Anonymousreply 594November 3, 2021 2:57 AM

Cancel that, Younkin's lead just went to 3pts!

How annoying if Nate was right.

by Anonymousreply 595November 3, 2021 2:57 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596November 3, 2021 3:00 AM

R583 If you compare the current race county(city) by county(city) like the 2020 Presidential election, Youngkin won back areas that Trump lost, such as Montgomery, Stafford, Surry, Isle of Wight, Southampton, Chesapeake, Virginia Beach, Northampton, Lynchburg, among others.

The argument will be that if the party can find a candidate that basically supports the more popular Trump positions, without his toxic personality, it is a winning combination. Though, I think there is some difficulty with drawing blanket conclusions from this election, the VA race had some local issues like the school rape that changed things and TM is very much linked to the Clintons and that is not a popular wing of the Democratic Party, anymore, especially among activists.

by Anonymousreply 597November 3, 2021 3:00 AM

The NJ race WAS supposed to be this close. It was being called as Murphy by less than 4% for the past week. No one here loves Murphy, and many hate him for closing so many small businesses. Plus, we are the 2d-most Italian state. I'm sure many older Italians who don't always vote turned out today.

Personally, I can say as a Harvard grad, Murphy's an embarrassment to us.

by Anonymousreply 598November 3, 2021 3:01 AM

Terry is not a popular politician and he's a repeat candidate, so for him to keep the race this close in an off-year is not as bad as it looks.

by Anonymousreply 599November 3, 2021 3:02 AM

There were 4,400,000 votes cast in VA in 2020. Right now it looks like it's around 3,500,000 votes in governor's race. The key to Democratic victory is voter turnout -- plain and simple. When a larger share of the electorate votes Democrats win.

by Anonymousreply 600November 3, 2021 3:03 AM

Youngkin's lead has shrunk to 2 percent.

Uh, oh! Boris thought he could convince us this reflects some sort of mandate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601November 3, 2021 3:03 AM

VA is redneck as can be outside of the large cities.

by Anonymousreply 602November 3, 2021 3:04 AM

why link that nazi bitch Ingraham? She's vile

it was funny watching her whine in 2018 after the Democrats won Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 603November 3, 2021 3:04 AM

What going on in NJ?

by Anonymousreply 604November 3, 2021 3:04 AM

is coronavirus still killing deplorables at this point or mostly the non-voters?

I was hoping it would help Democrats in future elections but there are clearly a lot of deplorables still able to vote

by Anonymousreply 605November 3, 2021 3:05 AM

Kornacki is turning to the NJ race now as it's become more interesting than VA.

by Anonymousreply 606November 3, 2021 3:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!