Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Let's be a Victorian mansion over-restored by a pair of caftan-wearing queens!

I'm the 64 contrasting colors used to pick out all the gingerbread detailing. While a three-tone neutral scheme was good enough for the original builders, I will be proclaimed "authentic to the period" by the criminals who perpetrate me.

by Anonymousreply 353November 6, 2021 5:04 PM

I'm sham ormolu. Whatever the fuck that is.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2021 5:24 AM

I am a large weathervane originally intended for a barn or stables showing a running horse. I am now installed atop the highest of the three towers this thing has.

Every day I pray for a lightning strike.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2021 5:25 AM

I am a stained glass window attributed, incorrectly, to Louis Comfort Tiffany.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2021 5:27 AM

I’m the fact the building is grotesque and should’ve been torn down a century ago.

Everyone will know this but none dare speak it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2021 5:27 AM

I'm the ghost. Boo.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2021 5:28 AM

I’m the tension between the two one who favors comfort and the one who favors historical accuracy.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2021 5:28 AM

I am the stern, wooden mid-19th century portraits collected at barn sales of grim patriarchs and joyless wives, none of whom would have consented to any of this fuckery while living.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2021 5:30 AM

I’m the period furniture and Bob Mackie couture window treatment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2021 5:32 AM

I am antimacassars. I am draped over every chair like the world's ugliest spiderwebs. Conveniently, most of the chairs have so many legs they resemble the world's ugliest spiders, so score one for consistency.

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2021 5:34 AM

I am the rainbow flag. I am superfluous in announcing the sexuality of the owners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2021 5:35 AM

I am an enormous malevolent-seeming grandfather clock. When midnight rolls around, I sound like someone threw a hundred Chinese copper frying pans off a cliff.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2021 5:36 AM

I’m the window treatment in R8. I’m what happens when you buy me used at an estate sale and I’m just the tiniest too narrow, but no one will notice, right?

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2021 5:40 AM

I'm the historically accurate single bathroom in a six bedroom home to qualify for the tax credit.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2021 5:42 AM

I'm the wallpaper that gives Charlotte Gilman Perkins nightmares. I resemble a Pre-Raphaelite absinthe up-chuck.

by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2021 6:01 AM

I am the overwhelming ugliness of Lily Bart's room at her Aunt Julia Peniston's.

I am the inspiration for 99% of the schlock you are looking at.

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2021 6:27 AM

I’m tassels.

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2021 6:57 AM

I'm the buyer, and I'm fucking rapt to have discovered this place in a sea of dreary mid century modern and hideous minimalist boxes, but I'm trying to conceal my love of the place so I can negotiate a good price

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2021 8:31 AM

I'm the owners exquisite collection of girandoles

adorning every surface in every room

You may look but if you move too close - one or both owners will SHRIEK!

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2021 8:35 AM

I wanted to be tassels!

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2021 8:36 AM

[quote]I wanted to be tassels!

STFU!

You can be ormolu.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2021 8:39 AM

I’m the blackamoor.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2021 8:42 AM

[quote]I’m the blackamoor.

Surely you mean "blackamoors".

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2021 8:55 AM

I'm the drug dealer two doors down.

You don't find lovely Victorian fix-er uppers like this one in good neighborhoods!

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2021 9:21 AM

I'm the vile robber baron whose general foulness dredged up the cash to pay for this ornate palace in the first place.

Try not to think about how I exploited my workers, abused my wife and children and was overall a hideous human being.

I dare you.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2021 9:25 AM

I'm the snake plant and the fug pug in the pocket-doored parlor.

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2021 9:26 AM

I'm the small shitty post-industrial city where this place is located. I was a center for coal or hat-blocking or horseshoes or some other ugly thing now completely useless. I never transitioned to new technologies and I am riddled with Trump voters with gun collections and sallow chain-smoking fat women with dirty, cum-splattered cunts.

The two queens think that the existence of a small coffee shop with free wifi means I am turning around.

I'm not.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2021 4:14 PM

I'm the COCKtales

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2021 4:19 PM

R24 Fuck You

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2021 4:23 PM

I'm the closet full of kimonos that the owners wear when descending the staircase to make their Norma Desmond grand entrance.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2021 4:45 PM

I am a half ton of chandelier out of some old movie palace. I am neither correct for the period nor for the place in the dining room, but I look so fabulous they installed me anyway. Watch my lowest pendant dip artfully into the gravy boat at dinner.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2021 4:47 PM

Im the obvious upscale hoarding. I am amusingly passed off as "Victorian clutter" by the owners. I overhead their friends saying some of me smells like cat pee, mixed Eau de Cologne du Coq.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2021 5:01 PM

I'm the 28 year old twunk working at the richer of the queen's company. I'm blowsy on most days, though there is a fading glimmer of my 20 yo fineness on a good day and also in the dim lighting of the Victorian. I will be the destruction of this couple and this house, which will be unsellable after the one queen shots the other queen who is fucking me. People will say, what a shame, about the blood splatter in the "Oscar Wilde Salon" but the clean up crew's manager has a bf who's an antiques dealer and he comes along and discovers almost everything is completely worthless junk.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2021 5:10 PM

[quote]I'm the obvious upscale hoarding. I am amusingly passed off as "Victorian clutter"

Hoarding that will eventually exceed the boundaries of even this huge Victoria house. You will find boxed collections of egg cups, crystal goblets, unused china and silver, etc...that will overflow the basement, the attic, storage buildings, and eventually spill into the "living areas".

When someone ever so gently suggests they sell an item (even an item the owners had completely forgotten they had), the owners' mood will turn dark, and they will proclaim melodramatically, "I'd rather die than part with my treasures."....

This proclamation is usually made as the owner throws a scarf (the owners wear more and more layers to hide the growing folds of flesh) over his shoulder and flounces out of the room in a deeply offended manner.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2021 5:54 PM

^ All of a Victorian Queen's possessions are either "rare and priceless" or they soon will be....

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2021 5:58 PM

One such couple, I know, would invite guests over under the guise of hosting a dinner party

but the food and drinks would be meager

while the tours of the house would last literally for more than an hour

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2021 6:02 PM

I'm the rare archaic sterling silver pieces owned by this couple that they use to demonstrate their knowledge of long outdated dinner service rituals and "their cultural superiority"....

i.e. "This is a sterling silver finger bowl and it's used like this," (no matter how many times they've given this lecture)

or "This is a coin sterling silver Asparagus Server; do you know we actually saw someone use "plastic tongs" to serve asparagus once..."

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2021 6:11 PM

I am the dark, narrow, creaking, interior stairs. The owners know they’ll never be rid of me. It’s reached the point that every sentence that begins, “We really need to do something about ...” leads directly to excessive drinking because they are not now and never will be a match for me.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2021 6:19 PM

I'm the concrete block rental house next door built circa 1965 and now surrounded by wire fencing, because the owners have dangerous dogs. The Victorian queens go to great pains to obscure their view of it with shrubbery and to pretend that it's not there.

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2021 8:02 PM

I don’t want to be ormolu. I hate ormolu!

by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2021 8:04 PM

I'm the provenance stories of their priceless antiques

they often include references to how often they've turned down offers to buy these antiques from Sotheby's or museums

"And why the fuck didn't you unload this big ugly piece of shit?"

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2021 8:12 PM

I'm the ADP signs and stickers all over this big ugly Victorian pile

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2021 8:16 PM

I'm the worn stack of HONCHO and BLUEBOY in the closet under the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2021 8:44 PM

I am the little room in the basement that the two queens use as a wine cellar. I was originally the room where the Irish maids were raped by the man of the house.

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2021 9:06 PM

I'm their cat, and I refuse to go into one particular room. I see dead people.

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2021 9:31 PM

I am the Datalounge Maiden Aunt Brigade

We hold our monthly meetings here

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2021 9:34 PM

I'm Midge from the town historical society, dodging the tenth call from these Queens this week. They want their house officially recognized, but I know about the deep dark secret which prevents it. Say it, Oda Mae!

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2021 9:44 PM

^ You in danger, Gurrrl!

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2021 9:48 PM

I am Barnabas Collins looking for a threesome

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2021 9:49 PM

I'm the freakishly designed period linoleum in the kitchen, dated in material and style to 1858, 38 years before the house was built. "Just like Lincoln's kitchen in Springfield!" they share.

Three of their seven tiny yippy unsocialized non-house-trained "babies" have to be barred from the kitchen because they have seizures at sight of the confused patterns of the flooring. But at least dogs cannot perceive the full horror of the electric-urinary-failure-gangrene green.

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2021 9:52 PM

I’m the shrieking, near violent argument the owners had as to whether the butler’s pantry should be ripped out in order to make a resale ready eat in kitchen should they ever need to sell and get out of Waterloo, Iowa. The vigorous make up sex upstairs sends the chandelier crashing onto the dining room table.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2021 10:32 PM

I'm a wingback chair, that reclines!

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2021 10:38 PM

I'm the awkward silences during the formal dinner parties...

every time someone flushes the toilet and the original Victorian plumbing gurgles, shakes, and vibrates the walls and flooring, including the queens elegant dinner settings

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2021 10:39 PM

I am the garden ornaments. I am large and legion.

by Anonymousreply 53October 23, 2021 10:40 PM

I'm the dark original paneling that makes every room gloomy even in the middle of the sunniest day.

And the Victorian queens have chosen authentic period wallpapers that make even the unpaneled rooms just as dark and gloomy.

by Anonymousreply 54October 23, 2021 10:44 PM

R8, I knew those curtains looked familiar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 23, 2021 11:01 PM

I'm the old-timey pull chain toilet that has so little water pressure you have to flush the fucking thing three times after you take a dump.

by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2021 12:18 AM

I’m the spindlework that casts phallic shadows across the porch in the afternoon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2021 12:20 AM

They may call me a "painted lady", but really I'm a painted up PROSTITUTION WHORE!

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2021 12:20 AM

Come down to the basement and see the Judy Room.

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2021 12:26 AM

I’m an unfortunate choice of mauve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 24, 2021 12:28 AM

I am the decoratively braided hair of long dead people under glass. It absolutely freaks visitors and makes them lose their appetite.

by Anonymousreply 61October 24, 2021 12:32 AM

I am the petroleum lamp rewired for electricity in the 1920s. I am even less save.

by Anonymousreply 62October 24, 2021 12:33 AM

OMG r61 is that really a thing?

by Anonymousreply 63October 24, 2021 12:34 AM

I am the white shit that oozes from the finch bird cage in the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 64October 24, 2021 12:34 AM

I'm the heavy draperies that further block the light in the dim and gloomy rooms of this Victorian masterpiece!

by Anonymousreply 65October 24, 2021 12:34 AM

Yes it is R63. I have seen it in several places on SF. Think macrame made with human hair.

by Anonymousreply 66October 24, 2021 12:35 AM

Ugh r66 that is just creepy.

by Anonymousreply 67October 24, 2021 12:36 AM

I'm the bedbug infestation from the rough trade hustler one of the queens entertained for a long weekend when the other queen was visiting mother in Peoria.

by Anonymousreply 68October 24, 2021 12:36 AM

I'm Book of the Dead photograph books placed around the house (yes, photographing dead relatives was totally a thing in the Victorian era)....

of which the Queens are very proud

by Anonymousreply 69October 24, 2021 12:37 AM

I'm the doilies and the lace.

by Anonymousreply 70October 24, 2021 12:42 AM

I’m the collection of black widow’s weeds caftans for when mother dies.

by Anonymousreply 71October 24, 2021 12:42 AM

I'm the framed Victorian Dead person photographs hanging on the walls...

This one greets you in the Foyer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72October 24, 2021 12:43 AM

R50, Kaftan queens don’t have makeup sex.

by Anonymousreply 73October 24, 2021 12:45 AM

I’m the bell pull that was used to strangle Geoffrey in the property’s most recent restoration-sparked murder-suicide.

When Theo was done with me he took a slow walk through the house and sighed at every incomprehensible detail he had agreed to in hopes of placating Geoffrey after almost two decades of this shit.

Theo considered hanging himself at the top of the staircase and giving his ungrateful niece the shock of her life when she showed up for dinner later in the week, but quickly changed his mind when he imagined Mother’s reaction to crime-scene photos with the stairwell’s exposed framing in the background. Oh, the indignity.

He was found, as if asleep, on the fainting couch with a tiny pearl-handled Lady Derringer by his head and a note reading: “Geoffrey knows what he did” pinned to his Sunday caftan. They say he was smiling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 24, 2021 12:50 AM

I am the “Home Sweet Home” pillow was probably once used to smother unmarried and useless, yet thrifty, Aunt Violet.

by Anonymousreply 75October 24, 2021 12:52 AM

I’m fretwork.

I’ve been placed everywhere, reducing the entire place to resembling a 1970s Olde Tyme Ice Cream Parlor.

by Anonymousreply 76October 24, 2021 12:58 AM

I'm the humongous armoires in the bedrooms. There are no clothes closets in this house.

I'm the outlets. I can handle two-prong plugs.

I'm the downstairs bathroom that the guests use. This is also where we place the open litter box. We think that guests don't really mind the litter box, but in fact, they hate it and think it's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 77October 24, 2021 12:59 AM

I'm the rot, termites, and other insect infestation that are slowly and surely destroying the wood support beams and structural integrity of this Victorian monstrosity..,.

but these queens continue to focus and spend only on cosmetic issues

I'm also the creaking wood floors that indicate both the accelerating decay and the queens' increasing body weight

by Anonymousreply 78October 24, 2021 1:02 AM

[quote]I don’t want to be ormolu. I hate ormolu!

You’ll be what you’re told!

by Anonymousreply 79October 24, 2021 1:02 AM

Ormolu? Ormolu…

Didn’t she just buy the farm?

by Anonymousreply 80October 24, 2021 1:07 AM

I am the tiny meth crystals glinting between the creaking floor boards.

by Anonymousreply 81October 24, 2021 1:13 AM

I'm the mostly original windows and doors that rattle and shake in the slightest breeze - and causing the house to be alternately freezing or boiling, depending on the weather.

"We would not tarnish the integrity of our beautiful Victorian mansion with 'replacement windows and doors'."

Truth - they've spent so much money on decorating - they have no money for replacement windows and doors.

by Anonymousreply 82October 24, 2021 1:13 AM

I'm Queen Victoria, and I'm even less amused than usual.

by Anonymousreply 83October 24, 2021 1:14 AM

I'm the accordion bellows and other wood burning tools situated around the gas fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 84October 24, 2021 1:14 AM

I'm the cheap WalMart box fans that stay hidden in the attic until the hottest days and nights

when the queens set them up to blow directly up their caftans to relieve the oppressive heat

(and give their private parts a little tingle...)

by Anonymousreply 85October 24, 2021 1:17 AM

I am the blackened spots in the original mirrors . I make the owners look very old and sad.

by Anonymousreply 86October 24, 2021 1:18 AM

I'm Gus Stickley getting rich selling great-great granny and grandpa the antidote to cloying curlicues and turrets.

by Anonymousreply 87October 24, 2021 1:19 AM

[quote]I am the blackened spots in the original mirrors . I make the owners look very old and sad.

OTOH, they help the queens maintain the illusion they look 15-20 years younger than their actual ages

by Anonymousreply 88October 24, 2021 1:20 AM

I'm the surge protectors everywhere, because the number of electrical outlets is totally inadequate for a modern household full of electronic toys!

And I'm the credit card debt. I am a cloud looming on the horizon.

But I look like a sweet fluffy little bit of cumulus compared to the impending hurricane that is Quenton's aging mother, who keeps hinting that her house is too big for one person and too much trouble to clean, and that her rust-colored Barcalounger would fit right next to the delicate pink marbles of the living room fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 89October 24, 2021 1:21 AM

I am the knowledge that in 50 years I will be uninhabitable.

by Anonymousreply 90October 24, 2021 1:21 AM

Maybe R88. They make them look like they live behind a veil. But that’s a faded look, albeit a bit dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 91October 24, 2021 1:23 AM

[quote]and that her rust-colored Barcalounger would fit right next to the delicate pink marbles of the living room fireplace.

dear God...that is the sound of Victorian queens weeping from the depths of their superficial souls

by Anonymousreply 92October 24, 2021 1:23 AM

Yeah, Victorian hair art was a thing, some of it could be quite elaborate. Some of it was indeed made from the hair of loved ones who'd passed away.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93October 24, 2021 1:23 AM

I'm the fainting couch in the parlor bearing a small placard stating "Miss Lindsey caught a case of the vapors here."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 24, 2021 1:24 AM

Victorian hair jewelry was also a thing. Some of it was just loops of hair under a glass cabochon, but some of it was as elaborate as this!

A mourning ring would have hair of the deceased wrapped around a ring with a concave surface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95October 24, 2021 1:25 AM

I'm the word classy. The bottom used me at least fifteen times a day during the restoration, usually just prior to purchasing overpriced reproduction chintz on Etsy with his long-suffering top's credit card. He had to use the top's card for these purchases, partly because the his dreams of Victorian grandeur are more expensive than his retail job can support, but mostly because Etsy doesn't accept Discover cards or Diner's Club International.

by Anonymousreply 96October 24, 2021 1:26 AM

I’m the bubbly young design student (NOT invited back) who pointed out it was Elsie de Wolfe who first brought dark old Victorian interiors into the 20th Century by painting old furniture white and - -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97October 24, 2021 1:29 AM

I'm the imagined media attention, the queens believe they will get by spending their lives and their life savings to restore this old pile...

"Unlike most people, we could see the potential in this one-of-a-kind magnificent Victorian mansion..."

"Yes, it has been incredibly hard...but it was ultimately a labor of love..."

by Anonymousreply 98October 24, 2021 1:39 AM

I'm the treasure, shoplifted from the flea market, so my owners wouldn't have to deal with the nasty queen on the cash register.

by Anonymousreply 99October 24, 2021 1:40 AM

I'm the ghost of Queen Victoria rolling her eyes and this time actually amused that neither of these uncouth, classless bitches saw the entirely appropriate suitability of hanging my portrait on the wall somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 100October 24, 2021 1:40 AM

[quote]Victorian hair jewelry was also a thing. Some of it was just loops of hair under a glass cabochon, but some of it was as elaborate as this!

The Victorian culture was a culture that was obsessed with death.

by Anonymousreply 101October 24, 2021 1:41 AM

I'm the catch-all bedroom, the junk drawer of the house. Please don't open the door.

by Anonymousreply 102October 24, 2021 1:43 AM

I am the legion of tourists soon to be tromping all over everything, follow on the queens’ admission that either they make this thing pay for itself as a B&B or they’ll be forced to sell.

by Anonymousreply 103October 24, 2021 1:47 AM

I'm Halloween. The kids enjoy me (a Victorian mansion) because I naturally look like a haunted house.

by Anonymousreply 104October 24, 2021 1:53 AM

[quote]I am the legion of tourists soon to be tromping all over everything, follow on the queens’ admission that either they make this thing pay for itself as a B&B or they’ll be forced to sell.

I'm one of the Victorian queens practicing my response to these proposals in front of the mirror, in her best Julia Sugarbaker voice:

"But one thing we don't have to endure is a bunch of bored housewives turning historical homes into theme parks, not to mention ill-mannered tourists with their Big Gulps, Mistys, Slurpees, and Frosties, their dirty feet overflowing rubber thongs, and babies who sneeze Fudgesicle juice!"

"Out, out of my house! "

"As God is my witness, I will burn it down myself before I let you in again!"

by Anonymousreply 105October 24, 2021 1:57 AM

I'm the TV tuned-in to Fox News, and Sean Hannity is hosting Lindsey Graham. These two caftan-wearing queens who are watching are Republicans. Ewww!

by Anonymousreply 106October 24, 2021 2:01 AM

I'm soooooo many mouse skeletons in the old cellar. The boys once found a black rat snake down there and Melvin pissed his white linen plus fours while LeRoie screeched. They slept in a motel for three nights AFTER Melly's niece removed the laid-back, friendly snake.

by Anonymousreply 107October 24, 2021 2:15 AM

R106 defames the boys and should be ashamed of herself. They are both registered Democrats, although one did do a presidential write-in vote for Chuck Percy in 1968 because he thought he was cute and was so sorry about his daughter's murder. Plus he wouldn't vote for Humphrey because he didn't wear a toupee.

by Anonymousreply 108October 24, 2021 2:20 AM

I’m the elevator they’re going to have to install if they want to sell this pile.

by Anonymousreply 109October 24, 2021 2:22 AM

I’m the overgrown potted fern in the front parlor

by Anonymousreply 110October 24, 2021 2:30 AM

I'm the enormous circular tower, which distinguishes the American Queen Anne from the British version. I am a tip of the hat to French chateaux.

I have a little circular room at my top that serves no discernable function.

The queens use me for tantric massages.

by Anonymousreply 111October 24, 2021 2:47 AM

I'm the unexpected, at first, appearance of four chaise longes in the drawing room.

by Anonymousreply 112October 24, 2021 3:55 AM

Please, the word is "passementerie" : tassels are for strippers.

by Anonymousreply 113October 24, 2021 3:57 AM

[quote]Please, the word is "passementerie" : tassels are for strippers.

Spoken like a true Victorian mansion-restoring queen...

by Anonymousreply 114October 24, 2021 4:00 AM

[quote]I wanted to be tassels!

Fine, you can be the passementerie

by Anonymousreply 115October 24, 2021 4:41 AM

I'm the yards and yards of bullion fringe...on everything

by Anonymousreply 116October 24, 2021 4:43 AM

I'm the thermostat set at 55* to save money. Just bring a sweater, gaw!

by Anonymousreply 117October 24, 2021 4:55 AM

I’m the aspidistra.

by Anonymousreply 118October 24, 2021 7:26 AM

I'm the Laudanum. In this case, a genuine laudanum bottle from the time filled with crushed up Vicodin and spirits of alcohol.

The fucking bottle cost more than a two moth supply of the shitty Vicodin we get around here.

Luckily, we died of Fentanyl poisoning before too may funds were further spent.

by Anonymousreply 119October 24, 2021 7:55 AM

We're the fake antique books covering every electronic device in the house. God help Stéphane when he takes one of us off because it's 102° in his third-floor office and his MacBook's fan sounds like a jet engine.

"You're not committed to the vision, Stéphane! You're not! You make me feel like you're just going through the motions to please me, and I HATE it!!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120October 24, 2021 8:01 AM

r120 Mine was better.

Neyah.

by Anonymousreply 121October 24, 2021 8:04 AM

R15 for the win.

by Anonymousreply 122October 24, 2021 8:21 AM

I’m the uneven flooring caused by soft heart of pine flooring bulking up due to settling of the foundation. You’d be sinking too if you were bogged down by the weight of Harold’s 300 pounds as well as oppressive atmosphere.

by Anonymousreply 123October 24, 2021 8:21 AM

I'm the atmosphere that inspired so many deathless horror ghost, and Gothic literature and films.

You may mock me here, but without me, there would have have been no Jane Eyre, no The Haunting, no Rebecca, no The Uninvited, no countless Sherlock Holmes stories . . .

by Anonymousreply 124October 24, 2021 8:30 AM

I'm the servants' quarters at the top of the house. I'm shockingly small and bare, but secretly I make visitors long for the good old days of Gosford Park.

by Anonymousreply 125October 24, 2021 8:35 AM

I am one of five bowls of potpourri.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 24, 2021 8:58 AM

One of our better ones, bitches. Keep feeding the beast!

I'm the family (and to a more tasteful distance, the servant's) graveyard. Our Man was always too lazy to dig 6 feet deep, so during bigger storms, there have been some...unfortunate surprises.

by Anonymousreply 127October 24, 2021 9:44 AM

I'm the reason the Queens rarely leave the house on the weekends. Tea?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 24, 2021 12:35 PM

I am the period antimacassars on all of the chairs and sofas.

Unsurprisingly once you get a look at the owners and their friends, we serve a utilitarian purpose and are not just for show.

by Anonymousreply 129October 24, 2021 1:17 PM

The two love to gossip about their friend from bingo who has this next door neighbor and frequent visitor named Joel. They'd love for Joel to visit them, and pay him generously for yard work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 24, 2021 1:17 PM

I'm the Orientalism in the Smoking Room, in the Aesthetic Movement style but with some compound Moorish arches and some 19thC Iznik-inspired tiles. The little corner tower of a Smoking Room divided off by a cut velvet portiere that cost the owners way too much, promised it once hung in Morris' own Red House, but it didn't, and it's actually machine made a good decade at least after Morris' death. Oh, and don't dare get any ideas from the "Smoking Room" language and strike up a match, the owners, once chain-smokers, are now violently opposed to the evils of tobacco. The walls above the bit of tile wainscot are in Bradbury & Bradbury wallpapers. The owners watch for a knowing nod when they drop the brand name, when they find none, they tell you flat out that they spent $35,000 on the hand-printed papers. Too bad they cheaped out and replaced the damaged plaster with wallboard. You can tell straight away from the echoey quality of the room, not hushed by all that velvet, and by the fact that the paper seams in teh wallboard are now showing through their fancy wallpaper, with tiny rips and tears and folds following the seams of the wallboard.

It's all a little much for a railroad worker's cottage of 1220 square feet, but the owners do seem so pleased with themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131October 24, 2021 1:20 PM

I'm the hallway Christmas tree, left since 2019 when Melvin's back went out. As I am fourteen-feet tall and once was what is called a "real tree," I am a fire hazard.

LeRoie is concerned about the black bugs he has noticed living in the needle-drifts.

by Anonymousreply 132October 24, 2021 1:25 PM

I am the goth couple who are huge true crime fans, collect antique mortuary equipment and create disturbing avant garde art. We end up buying this house and everything in it for a low low price after the elderly couple who restored it go missing after hiring an escort who turns out to be a serial killer who is still at large.

by Anonymousreply 133October 24, 2021 1:27 PM

R133, please stop killing gay people while mixing verb tenses. That is not "Chaos." It is merely nasty.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 134October 24, 2021 1:48 PM

[quote] Kaftan queens don’t have makeup sex.

Yes, they do. It involves applying globs of foundation and concealer to each other like we were the last scene from DEATH BECOMES HER.

by Anonymousreply 135October 24, 2021 3:18 PM

r134 went into the basement and was never seen again.

by Anonymousreply 136October 24, 2021 3:23 PM

Ormolu is so formalu.

by Anonymousreply 137October 24, 2021 4:09 PM

Don't look inside the victorian steam trunk with the dark 2-inch stain perceptibly circling the bottom

by Anonymousreply 138October 24, 2021 4:14 PM

I'm the smell of douching that lingers around the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 139October 24, 2021 4:28 PM

I am Frank Furness.

None of this is my fault.

by Anonymousreply 140October 24, 2021 4:53 PM

I am the fake antique pendulum clock in the hallway. I was made in China in 2002 and run in electricity so nobody has to wind me up. My Big Ben chime prevents Melvin from falling asleep again at 4 AM.

by Anonymousreply 141October 24, 2021 4:58 PM

I am not Herter Brothers. Nothing in this house is Herter Brothers, I'm not even Pottier & Stymus, but oh how my owners will go on about how I *am* Herter Bros. and worth a small fortune.

by Anonymousreply 142October 24, 2021 5:18 PM

I'm the uninsulated walls which, combined with the oil furnace installed in 1928, make my winter heating bills equal the monthly mortgage payment. Unfortunately, my new owners spent so much on cosmetic renovations they can't afford new insulation or a new furnace.

by Anonymousreply 143October 24, 2021 5:24 PM

I’m the shearing in the foundation walls.

by Anonymousreply 144October 24, 2021 6:06 PM

I'm the laundry shoot, and I think the dumb waiter is one stupid bitch!

by Anonymousreply 145October 24, 2021 7:24 PM

It's a chute, R145, like the game Chutes and Ladders.

by Anonymousreply 146October 24, 2021 7:30 PM

Thank you, R146! I'll remember it!

- R145

by Anonymousreply 147October 24, 2021 7:35 PM

I'm the ornate, dark room one queen "particularly enjoys for late evening reading."

I'm also the home of his coke stash and am host to many nights of frenzied dancing to Cher's "Dark Lady" after the partner's Ambien kicks in.

by Anonymousreply 148October 24, 2021 7:47 PM

I am the Ottoman duvet cover that has not been cleaned since 1903.

by Anonymousreply 149October 24, 2021 7:54 PM

I am the smell of cat piss wafting across the “drawing room”.

by Anonymousreply 150October 24, 2021 7:55 PM

I'm the human skeleton that was discovered in the wall during renovations.

by Anonymousreply 151October 24, 2021 7:57 PM

I'm the house tours the caftan queens give to all guests to highlight their work and all the money they spent. The caftan-wearing queens get upset when guests are indifferent to me and just want a drink.

by Anonymousreply 152October 24, 2021 8:00 PM

Jeffrey Mundt and Joey Banis, gay male couple renting a Victorian house. Meth-fueled 3-some, 3rd party is killed and then buried in the house. IIRC, Mundt pointed finger at Banis (during trial). Mundt had a deal with DA, IIRC. Banis found guilty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153October 24, 2021 8:04 PM

I'm the Gen X/Millennial gay guys on the house tour who are all about modern, minimalist decor and think all this fussy, ugly shit should be hauled out to the backyard and torched. Is there a single surface in this dump that isn't cluttered with tchotckes? It's like an ancient old lady's house up in this bitch.

by Anonymousreply 154October 24, 2021 8:05 PM

I’m the two Hispanic guys hired from the Home Depot parking lot to haul the ginormous siding room table off of the U-Haul trailer and into the dining room. One of us is hoping we will be offered mucho dinero to let these guys go down on his 9.5” uncut cock.

by Anonymousreply 155October 24, 2021 8:21 PM

I’m the bars tucked INSIDE the basement windows so I don’t alert the new roommate of how dangerous this neighborhood.

I am the velvet ropes that appear at every house tour to keep prying eyes and hands from certain rooms.

I’m roll of the toilet paper you need to drag to the bathroom every morning- because between the other four gay men that live here there is NEVER any in the bathrooms.

I’m the passive aggressive owner that charges an ungodly amount for the tiniest, chilliest room.

by Anonymousreply 156October 24, 2021 8:22 PM

I'm the Queen Anne next door, feeling like a hybrid bastard child.

by Anonymousreply 157October 24, 2021 8:51 PM

[quote]I'm the Queen Anne next door, feeling like a hybrid bastard child.

You are a bastard child, only a pale-imitation of our gloriously-restored true Victorian mansion.

Just like the concrete rental house, the owners ignore you and pretend you don't even exist.

by Anonymousreply 158October 24, 2021 8:57 PM

I am the musical Fun Home.

by Anonymousreply 159October 24, 2021 8:57 PM

I'm the ruff trade purchased for a threesome. I ate the potpourri out of the bowls because I thought it was party mix, but everyone just averted their eyes cuz I'm packing 9 inches.

by Anonymousreply 160October 24, 2021 9:07 PM

[quote]I'm the Queen Anne next door, feeling like a hybrid bastard child.

I am the dismissive, mean-spirited laugh of the Victorian queens given when anyone dares to mention the Queen Anne-style house nearby.

"No dear, our house was said to be designed by Frank Heyling Furness (complete untrue). That is a cheap track house with some very bad Queen Anne additions masquerading as a Victorian."

by Anonymousreply 161October 24, 2021 9:09 PM

I'm the foundation. I laugh day and night at all the restoration while I crumble slowly.

by Anonymousreply 162October 24, 2021 9:17 PM

I am the faint smell of decay stemming from the meth dealer buried in a Container Store plastic box only 3 feet under.

by Anonymousreply 163October 24, 2021 9:29 PM

I'm the boxes of cake mix and cans of frosting in the pantry.

by Anonymousreply 164October 24, 2021 9:33 PM

I’m the fastidiously painted, contoured and carefully lit staircase that’s meant to showcase my fine Gothic woodwork burnished and fitted to perfection yet to the unjaded eye winds up looking like an overdone Carol Burnett stage set

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165October 24, 2021 9:38 PM

I am Anne Rice and I am NOT HAPPY. What have you done??

by Anonymousreply 166October 24, 2021 9:40 PM

R153 Meth.... not even once

by Anonymousreply 167October 24, 2021 9:45 PM

[quote]That is a cheap track house

Meaning it’s on the wrong side of the track?

by Anonymousreply 168October 24, 2021 9:53 PM

This thread is a fucking MASTERPIECE

by Anonymousreply 169October 24, 2021 10:15 PM

Do NOT go in the basement.

by Anonymousreply 170October 24, 2021 10:23 PM

I am the mummified rat behind the Butler's pantry.

by Anonymousreply 171October 24, 2021 11:04 PM

I am the Historic District. I contain a charming early Gothic Revival house dating to the 1840s; a sophisticated Colonial Revival house by Stanford White; a great stick/eastlake mishmash attributed in part to Frank Furness; and an amazing Japanese-inspired fantasy garden with an inventive shingle-style cottage designed by its owner, a lesbian suffragette. I am interspersed with Arts & Crafts, Tudor Revival and Neo-Classical houses and their attendant lawns and gardens; there is a minor work by Frank Lloyd Wright or a major one by one of his followers and a strikingly stark 1943 modernist house built as the home of the city's first African-American architect. Senators and scientists, novelists and neurosurgeons, theosophists and thespians have made me their address for 170 years.

I do not include the house of the two caftan-wearing queens, because it is a piece of ugly shit.

by Anonymousreply 172October 24, 2021 11:53 PM

I’m 400 gallons of heating oil in the basement at $3.27 a gallon. I will barley last 2 weeks in February

by Anonymousreply 173October 25, 2021 12:07 AM

I'm Mary, the ghost of the Irish servant girl who was impregnated and then murdered by the ne'er-do-well son of the original owner. Sometime after the WWII his former bedroom was remade into a modern bathroom so I am condemned for all eternity to frighten people who are on the toilet.,

by Anonymousreply 174October 25, 2021 12:07 AM

I'm Lorna, here to see the Judy Room.

In case you didn't hear, I was molested.

by Anonymousreply 175October 25, 2021 12:29 AM

That Lorna shit is so stupid and unfunny, just like the Susan Dey shit and the M/G shit. AIDS really did kill off the witty gays of that generation.

by Anonymousreply 176October 25, 2021 12:32 AM

I'm the Victorian costume party. Everyone is shloshed on "Mint" Juleps, and I say "Mint" because leRoi fucked up and bought Cilantro instead of Mint earlier that afternoon. Melvin is still livid.

by Anonymousreply 177October 25, 2021 12:43 AM

[quote]That Lorna shit is so stupid and unfunny, just like the Susan Dey shit and the M/G shit. AIDS really did kill off the witty gays of that generation.

Bad man hate blue.

by Anonymousreply 178October 25, 2021 12:45 AM

I’m the silk ivy garland that climbs over and around everything in the kitchen. I actually saw this on a Christmas house tour.

by Anonymousreply 179October 25, 2021 12:47 AM

"That Lorna shit is so stupid and unfunny, just like the Susan Dey shit and the M/G shit. AIDS really did kill off the witty gays of that generation. "

How witty!

by Anonymousreply 180October 25, 2021 12:49 AM

Not trying to be witty, just making a statement. Shit is unfunny and beyond tired.

by Anonymousreply 181October 25, 2021 12:55 AM

I’m the fancy wooden pedestal all you plants are sitting on

by Anonymousreply 182October 25, 2021 1:14 AM

[quote]Not trying to be witty, just making a statement. Shit is unfunny and beyond tired.

Thanks for that funny and un-tired post. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 183October 25, 2021 1:17 AM

The elder queens here love their tired memes. Too bad AIDS killed off all the good ones from that generation.

by Anonymousreply 184October 25, 2021 1:27 AM

I am the tastefully restored Victorian mansion in the Historic District owned by two attractive gay men, one a surgeon, the other a screenwriter.

I have had my best attributes exquisitely highlighted and my unfortunate details tastefully modified or sensitively replaced.

I am full of books and musical instruments (the screenwriter also composes) and intriguing works of art.

My stained glass window really is by Louis Comfort Tiffany.

My garden is a thing a beauty and repose.

i am in tip-top condition from spire to cellar.

I am occasionally on the house tour, when it serves as a fundraiser for the local hospital's children's ward (my owners couldn't care less, otherwise, and always leave the house for the day after preparing a few notes on its history for the volunteer docents).

The caftan-wearing queens walk through and HISS.

And HISS.

And HISS.

by Anonymousreply 185October 25, 2021 1:28 AM

I’m the coffered ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 186October 25, 2021 1:29 AM

I'm the door knocker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 25, 2021 1:45 AM

^ They must be made of brass

by Anonymousreply 188October 25, 2021 1:47 AM

I am a concrete gargoyle. I am positioned at the entrance to the fussy yet already overgrown "gardens".

I am twinned to the cement birdbath shaped like a sunflower.

by Anonymousreply 189October 25, 2021 2:34 AM

I'm the roof tiles and pots that keep falling off onto people just as they walk up to talk about a New Testament of Jesus Christ, the Watchtower, or Girl Scout Cookies.

That crawl space is getting mighty crowded.

by Anonymousreply 190October 25, 2021 3:30 AM

I’m the Madam Alexander collection in an out of the way spot within the house.

The owners don’t want any stolen, and the case doesn’t have a lock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191October 25, 2021 4:26 AM

Oh sure—I can be ormolu. As if those cheap bastards wouldn’t just use gold spray paint.

Thanks for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 192October 25, 2021 5:00 AM

I'm the must and mold. The queens didn't bother to repair the foundation and every spring water seeps in which goes unnoticed by the queens because they covered the concrete blocks with drywall which will eventually rot.

by Anonymousreply 193October 25, 2021 5:12 AM

Ah yes R193....another reason plaster is far superior to drywall. It is alkaline and does not support mold growth. Unfortunately it is hard to find competent plaster guys these days. Almost nobody knows what they're doing anymore because it's become a lost art.

by Anonymousreply 194October 25, 2021 5:19 AM

DO they still build new houses with plaster walls?

by Anonymousreply 195October 25, 2021 5:22 AM

I'm the five yappy little untrained dogs! Our coats are meticulously brushed out, but we aren't housetrained, and all the Turkish rugs have large brownish stains. But at least now that Nellie Melba has lost all her teeth, there are no new bite marks on the authentic reproduction chairs.

by Anonymousreply 196October 25, 2021 5:28 AM

I don't think so R195. Unfortunately. I had a condo in an old 1920s building with original plaster walls and the way that place was constructed was so far superior to anything built in "modern" years it's laughable. If there was a plumbing leak from somewhere the concrete and brick interior of the walls would hold onto water for a while but the plaster over metal lathe did not get moldy or disintegrate. The outer coating might "delaminate" a bit and paint would bubble, but easy fix. You just had to open up a dry hole and let it dry out for a month then patch the plaster back up and paint. Drywall would have been toxic mold within days. The key in old buildings is to upgrade the plumbing and electrical. But the structures themselves are so much better IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 197October 25, 2021 5:29 AM

Stay on topic.

by Anonymousreply 198October 25, 2021 5:35 AM

The mansion is known for a famous guest. Former President Rutherford B. Hayes once spent a night there.

by Anonymousreply 199October 25, 2021 5:45 AM

Pssst. That wasn’t his wife.

by Anonymousreply 200October 25, 2021 5:47 AM

You're not the boss of the thread R198. Mind your business.

by Anonymousreply 201October 25, 2021 6:06 AM

I'm the gardener who comes in a couple of times a week to mow, weed, and trim things. I'm talking to my lawyer about a sexual harassment suit.

by Anonymousreply 202October 25, 2021 6:07 AM

That was on topic R198. It was discussion about old construction techniques such as you would see in an old house. So chill.

by Anonymousreply 203October 25, 2021 6:10 AM

I’m the wallpaper that was originally in the bathroom when the owners bought the place. I almost gave them a heart attack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204October 25, 2021 6:30 AM

[quote]Too bad AIDS killed off all the good ones from that generation.

And left you.

by Anonymousreply 205October 25, 2021 12:12 PM

I am the vintage clothes found in the attic that one of the caftan queens will wear. You'll claim it's just to be "Karen Black" for Halloween, but you'll keep wearing my for months after...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 25, 2021 12:26 PM

R197 r201 r203 killed this thread.

by Anonymousreply 207October 25, 2021 4:12 PM

But I will never die!!!!

by Anonymousreply 208October 25, 2021 4:15 PM

I'm the MG with the fucked shift stick in the dilapidated garage. I was going to be Michael's retirement project but George wanted the chimneys repointed.

George gets what George wants.

by Anonymousreply 209October 25, 2021 4:19 PM

No R207 you did that yourself. Bye.

by Anonymousreply 210October 25, 2021 7:43 PM

I'm the basement. Brian wanted to turn me into a screening room, but Quenton's Christmas decorations were crowded out of the attic by the Halloween decorations and the Thanksgiving decorations, and now Q wants to find room for the Easter decorations in the sewing room.

The fight over whether to just rent a fucking storage space would have the last straw for them, if either had been willing to leave the house to the other.

by Anonymousreply 211October 26, 2021 4:32 AM

I'm the secret toom discovered when the renovation knocks a wall down to eliminate a dressing room to enlarge the master bedroom. I am filled with first editions of Victorian pornography and some very fine examples of early Grecian erotic pottery the original owner picked up on his honeymoon "abroad".

The collection turns out to be worth a good bit of money, especially the pottery. It ended up paying for the entire renovation.

I did miss those stolen evenings with the master of the 'ouse.

Now, those poufs have turned me into an alcove with a fucking divan.

by Anonymousreply 212October 26, 2021 10:05 AM

I am the river nearby the can bear so much rainfall. When I flood the basement, Quenton's Christmas decorations, the Halloween decorations and the Thanksgiving decorations, will be entangled with the sling, the chains, and the whips in the in "Play Room" to an inextricable mess.

by Anonymousreply 213October 26, 2021 11:39 AM

I'm the location scout who will offer you insufficient money for the honor of having your house appear in a remake of The Munsters.

by Anonymousreply 214October 26, 2021 11:43 AM

I am the tremendous damage that the film company will inflict during the shoot, as they invariably hire meth-soaked ex-rodeo clowns to break down the sets.

Kiss your flawlessly restored paneling goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 215October 26, 2021 11:50 AM

I’m the pet Capuchin monkey. I’m the smartest primate in this house.

by Anonymousreply 216October 26, 2021 1:29 PM

I'm the gin

and the regret

by Anonymousreply 217October 26, 2021 1:38 PM

I am the armoire containing pristinely folded linen with a sprig of lavender tucked away between each one. I am opened and admired each time guests are entertained at my owner’s soirees.

by Anonymousreply 218October 26, 2021 1:43 PM

I'm window weights. The Queens hear me bumping the window frames each time they raise and shut the windows, but they just can't figure me out. They've never heard of me.

by Anonymousreply 219October 26, 2021 3:10 PM

[quote]I'm the gin...

I'm the bromide.

by Anonymousreply 220October 26, 2021 3:21 PM

[quote]I'm window weights. The Queens hear me bumping the window frames each time they raise and shut the windows, but they just can't figure me out. They've never heard of me.

In an overly-restored house, they would've heard the tern "window weights" more than once. The chances of every rope being in perfect original condition is improbable.

by Anonymousreply 221October 26, 2021 3:23 PM

Just let it ride. There's no need to flaunt your superior reasoning through correction each opportunity you see, Poindexter!

by Anonymousreply 222October 26, 2021 3:31 PM

I'm the three happy months the couple spent living in the house before the bottom was unceremoniously evicted after the top found a younger replacement. The first thing they did was remove all the old lady crap and go minimalist.

by Anonymousreply 223October 26, 2021 4:45 PM

I'm the minefield of crap littering every horizontal surface, most which was manufactured in the 1920s for conservative lower-middle class households and is about as Victorian as Clara Bow's STD sheet. Despite this, the owners will refer to me as if I am the contents of the Metropolitan Museum's decorative arts collection.

by Anonymousreply 224October 26, 2021 6:21 PM

I am this thread. I started out pretty but I am as old and tired as a Victorian mansion now.

by Anonymousreply 225October 26, 2021 7:03 PM

I am the very large door leading elsewhere to which I am happy to direct R225.

Mind the step - oh God.

Paul, I think we may need an ambulance again.

We have to do something about that bannister.

by Anonymousreply 226October 26, 2021 7:13 PM

I'm the contractor that three days into the project (painting the exterior) I returned 100% of the deposit to the owner, packed up all the scaffolding, and left- because I was completely over 'something' trying to shove my employees off said scaffolding from nearly 30 feet up. (True story!)

by Anonymousreply 227October 26, 2021 7:26 PM

The piss-elegant Victoriana queens like Quenton and Melvin who are being roasted on this thread must be knocking on for 70. Those boys haven’t been in a sling surrounded by damask wallpaper and dubious wainscotting since the Bush administration. Their flabby middle-aged slap and tickle days are well and truly behind them.

Now as to the fiftysomethings with a bunch of bad Danish Modern sniggering about them on this thread….

by Anonymousreply 228October 26, 2021 7:49 PM

I'm the former owner of an Italianate inspired farmhouse. I got bored and fed up with the constant attention the house needed. I sold the house to a couple who couldn't afford the upkeep. The house was torn down 3 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 229October 26, 2021 7:50 PM

I'm Melvin and leRoi's nasty break-up. They argue and bicker about who owns what, and down to the last roll of toilet paper. leRoi finds a never updated 1960s ranch home to put his heart and soul into while Melvin, bitter beyond description, does a complete 180 and moves into a finished modern minimalist home.

The end.

by Anonymousreply 230October 27, 2021 12:22 AM

R230 - Actually, the imminent murder/suicide would be the end.

by Anonymousreply 231October 27, 2021 12:25 AM

I'm the meticulously planned out will. I go on for pages and pages divvying up every item in the house to husband, close friends, former co-workers and former lovers with whom I still friends, siblings I have a decent relationship with, nieces and nephews, and various service people (if they've been in my employ for over 10 years).

by Anonymousreply 232October 27, 2021 12:28 AM

I am the Boston fern on a pedestal. One day, I will fall over and smother Quentin’s left foot. He will never walk properly again.

by Anonymousreply 233October 27, 2021 2:20 AM

I’m the display Noritake. The Waterford gets used. I haven’t been yet.

by Anonymousreply 234October 27, 2021 2:23 AM

Isn't it the other way around, R234?

Plus we all know that Rheinhardt keeps vodka in that "jogging jug" and drinks from a Libby's tumbler when "relaxing."

by Anonymousreply 235October 27, 2021 2:30 AM

R234 Which Noritake though?

If its the "Hertford" I'd use the shit outta that its fucking cool. "Blooming Splendour is pretty nice too

Didnt know Noritake did such nice stuff actually

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236October 27, 2021 2:31 AM

I am a small flawlessly patinated yellow bowl of Chinese Dynastic origin. I was owned by a princess and bear her seal on my lip. I am the single most valuable thing in the house, but I was acquired as part of a lot sale, no one ever knew what I was.

I am currently full of sugar cubes.

by Anonymousreply 237October 27, 2021 2:32 AM

I'm the airbnb guest pushing the dresser against the bedroom door. Something creepy about those shovels when they showed me the garden.

by Anonymousreply 238October 27, 2021 3:04 AM

I'm Anna Madrigal and I've been living here for years and years and, Yes, I DO wear fucking caftans because they are comfortable. Now shut the fuck up, pull up a chair and let's get stoned.

by Anonymousreply 239October 27, 2021 3:29 AM

I'm the house's fascinating history.

I was built long ago by man named Hugh Crane...

by Anonymousreply 240October 27, 2021 3:43 AM

R240 - Melvin and leRoi will have you know THEIR house was built by H.H. Holmes!

by Anonymousreply 241October 27, 2021 4:21 AM

I'm the grand piano that no one knows how to play.

by Anonymousreply 242October 27, 2021 4:28 AM

I am the long forgotten 2000 gallon cistern in the attic that was original to the gravity feed indoor shower. I’m still full of rainwater. One day I will crash through the ceiling, killing at least one of the residents and at least one cat as I plummet through the floors on the way to the basement.

by Anonymousreply 243October 27, 2021 4:47 AM

I'm the spliced in bits of wood in the curly maple door to the old first floor front apartment. In the 1930s my owners moved to Hillsborough and I was converted to six large apartments of 2 bedrooms each in a division of space that was not always amicable. Everyone thought mine was the finest apartment in the building: high ceilings, huge windows and window seats broad and long enough for a comfortable nap, lovely large rooms, two working fireplaces, and loads of original details unspoiled. It's why the owners bought me, well, that and the snobby address.

The owners bought the house emptied out of all its occupants except me. They bought, in effect a rental business with me as their sole tenant. But I was a frail-looking 82-year-old woman when the negotiations started and almost 84 by the time the contractors arrived. I was a little prickly and resisted all overtures to move. This had been my home for decades, after all and I was old and didn't like the idea of change. The owners tiptoed around me for those couple of years, and used the back stairs so as not to interfere with my privacy so I had use of the grand reception room, too, while they entered through the basement garage and up to the kitchen, like servants in their own house. Sometimes they would make themselves known and be very direct and demanding of me. When was I moving? Showing me slips of paper with sums on them, watching my eyes for reaction. I could sense their growing contempt for me. One day when I was 85 they angrily sat me down and said what would it take? What would it take to make me move? I opened a drawer in my desk and took out a paper from my nephew, an important lawyer. It would take a one-time payment of $300,000 and monthly rent at my next apartment for however long I lived there. I was out, $300,000 richer, and in a very nice if charmless newer apartment but with a beautiful view. I lived there about 8 months and died there. The nephew got what was left of the $300,000 (nearly all after buying a few new pieces of furniture) and all my books and photo albums. The owners finally had their house back, three years of tiptoeing around me.

by Anonymousreply 244October 27, 2021 8:00 AM

I'm the realtor who neglected to mention the house was built over a sacred Indian burial ground. They moved the headstones but left the graves.

by Anonymousreply 245October 27, 2021 11:55 AM

That's not a house. It's tinder.

Anybody know when they'll be away for the weekend?

by Anonymousreply 246October 27, 2021 12:01 PM

I am the Pink Princess!

by Anonymousreply 247October 27, 2021 12:06 PM

[quote]I am the long forgotten 2000 gallon cistern in the attic.

Impossible.

by Anonymousreply 248October 27, 2021 1:10 PM

R248 Well, there is/was the long sewage tank next to the 11,000 sq ft house that finally collapsed, leading to a backup that led to a plumbing job that was a deposit on a 'normal' house. BTW, it was originally built in 1827, and the crane mechanism in the fireplace that was the original 'stove' was still completely in place and functional, wow.

by Anonymousreply 249October 27, 2021 1:20 PM

I'm the old Chinese ancestor painting hanging in the vestibule, even though neither of the owners actually has any Chinese ancestor.

by Anonymousreply 250October 27, 2021 8:59 PM

I am the Legionella colony in the 80 year old boiler. I am waiting for Melvin’s immune system to age a little more to become really noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 251October 27, 2021 10:05 PM

Anthony Legionella? Love him!

by Anonymousreply 252October 27, 2021 10:19 PM

Well, R249, in an over-restored house, somone would've found a 2000 gallon cistern in the attic. Realtor, workmen, inspectors, someone would've located a large container roughly 9 feet by 9 feet by 6 feet.

by Anonymousreply 253October 27, 2021 10:26 PM

I don’t get it R227. They were afraid of a ghost?

by Anonymousreply 254October 27, 2021 10:31 PM

I’m the basement that hosted a wonderful private disco all through the 70’s and a few Dominican orgies as well, hehe!

by Anonymousreply 255October 27, 2021 10:38 PM

We love you, Poindexter! **wink**

by Anonymousreply 256October 27, 2021 10:40 PM

'Fank you R256.

by Anonymousreply 257October 27, 2021 11:50 PM

I’m fainting couches that are indeed used for fainting. Melvin has a delicate constitution you see.

by Anonymousreply 258October 28, 2021 1:50 PM

This is one of my Top 10 Favourite DL Threads I've read, because I myself am slowly turning into the stereotypical caftan-wearing queen restoring a Victorian mansion. The posts--and pardon me for forgetting their R #s--were spot on re: the fighting over the overbudgetting, the plaster v drywall mold and wallpaper fiascos, and the one about stealing treasures from the flea market to avoid the other queen at the register. (Who--let's be honest--both the caftan-wearing queens have diddled with a double-headed dildo at some point.)

I would add a Caftan PSA on Safety re: sashaying around all the open fireplaces and flouncing around a roaring fire, especially whilst imbibing. This is--in all seriousness--why so many older homes have the fireplaces closed off. My own brother-in-law's mother witnessed her younger sister dancing in front a gas heater at the age of 3 or 4 and being burned alive when the poor little girl's nightgown caught on fire. It also concerns me that a few posts mentioned all the heating oil being stored in the queens' basement. Time to install some split Daikin HVACs, which would also be much more energy efficient. My parents actually installed Daikins last year and are saving thousands a year on the their heating and cooling costs.

Off my safety monitor soapbox...let the cattiness continue!

by Anonymousreply 259October 28, 2021 3:25 PM

I’m the sheer lace curtain panels gracing every window.

My quality descends on the upper floors.

by Anonymousreply 260October 28, 2021 3:56 PM

I’m the previous three lapdogs, Quentin, Lappers, and Noodle, immortalized by the finest taxidermist in the state. We’re in display in the music room! Albert wanted simple ashes in an urn but what does he know.

by Anonymousreply 261October 28, 2021 4:30 PM

I'm the antique Victorian dressing screen positioned at the big Victorian glass front door to obscure the living area from anyone who might come calling unexpectedly. I'm always there because it's always party time!

by Anonymousreply 262October 28, 2021 4:36 PM

R259 lucky you! You're right about the HVAC/ heatpumps though, we have Mitsubishis, fantastic, keep the place warm and dry in winter, cool and dry in summer.

I am not afraid of modern tech as long as it can be concealed. My dream home would be a High Victorian smart home - lots of tech can be hidden behind all the lace and frills, and an LED bulb under every tasselled and fringed chintz lightshade

by Anonymousreply 263October 28, 2021 6:51 PM

We're the photos of nieces and nephews casually placed here and there to remind straight intruders that we're normal and have family just like them.

by Anonymousreply 264October 28, 2021 8:20 PM

I'm the damask wallpaper... in every room... in every jewel tone.

by Anonymousreply 265October 28, 2021 8:23 PM

I’m the loaded stare one receives after mentioning the word “camp.” Hissssssss!

by Anonymousreply 266October 28, 2021 8:35 PM

I'm the lead pane windows with central stained glass motifs. I am everywhere. Have you lot any idea what it costs to repair or replicate me?

by Anonymousreply 267October 28, 2021 8:46 PM

I’m the staircase newel post finial that looks like a tig ol’ bitty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268October 28, 2021 9:00 PM

I’m the attached Addams family-esque conservatory. We’ve both tried unsuccessfully to grow orchids and ferns, but have ended up with succulents plunked into overly ornate Majolica Jardinieres. It’s creepy and it’s spooky.

by Anonymousreply 269October 28, 2021 9:04 PM

I'm the brand new leatherbound "literary classics" bought from a Barnes and Noble BOGO clearance sale a couple of years ago. They sit in a "study" that one of the queens hoped to turn into a "home office." No one has ever worked, read or studied in this room and not one of me will ever be cracked open.

by Anonymousreply 270October 28, 2021 9:28 PM

I am the ember blown off the fireplace through a sudden draft. I am slowly settling in the floor vase with the Peacock feathers and the dried Pampa grasses.

by Anonymousreply 271October 28, 2021 9:37 PM

I'm the speed with which the place subsequently burns down.

by Anonymousreply 272October 28, 2021 9:46 PM

No caftan-wearing queen would EVER put jewel-toned wallpaper in a Victorian restoration, you grease-fire-worthy bitch at R265!!!

Knowing that Victorian wallpapers were muted to the point of dinginess is on the Caftan Card eligibility test.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273October 28, 2021 10:42 PM

R273

[quote] Victorian wallpaper, much like many of this year’s runway styles, was brightly colored and often full of floral designs.

Do you know more than the Smithsonian, our greatest institution to be founded by an actual bastard?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274October 28, 2021 11:08 PM

I’m the dust.

by Anonymousreply 275October 28, 2021 11:23 PM

This thread has opened a portal to hell. And it looks like a Christmas tree designed by Bob Mackie, with background music on a harpsichord.

by Anonymousreply 276October 28, 2021 11:55 PM

I'm the chimney sweep.

At least that's what they like to call me.

by Anonymousreply 277October 29, 2021 1:33 AM

I am the leering goblin face you finally see in the wallpaper pattern.

Once you do see me you'll never stop seeing me.

And I'm everywhere...

by Anonymousreply 278October 29, 2021 1:43 AM

R273 they look dingy now because the colours have faded. As R274 points out, the colours would have been extremely vivid when new, so putting jewel-toned wallpaper in a Victorian restoration would be completely authentic if you want to make it look like it did back in 1875 which to me is the whole point - no "modern contemporary touches"!

by Anonymousreply 279October 29, 2021 1:50 AM

I am a large looking glass with a small crack in the center. The small crack is how the queens were able to afford me, as I am otherwise a handsome article of furniture.

Interesting story about the crack.

It was caused when the lady who once owned me turned to see what she thought was a man standing in her bedroom. She hurled a vase at the intruder. It stuck me, the mirror, for he was actually behind her...

Good night.

by Anonymousreply 280October 29, 2021 1:53 AM

We're the "persian" throw rugs they use to cover the old flooring they didn't have the money to refinish.

The owners don't understand that throw rugs and old people don't go together. Probably because they don't consider themselves old.

We're just lying here waiting the Mrs. Marcus moment.

by Anonymousreply 281October 29, 2021 2:07 AM

I'm buyer's remorse. It had set in a good while ago for them both though neither will admit it to the other. They don't know when to quit. Their latest acquisition....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282October 29, 2021 2:17 AM

We're the pre-caftaners waiting to get it for a song when they die.

by Anonymousreply 283October 29, 2021 2:28 AM

[quote]r273 Knowing that Victorian wallpapers were muted to the point of dinginess is on the Caftan Card eligibility test.

It just so happens you’re a [italic]lying sack of shit.[/italic]

Just so you know, Victorians loved bright, gaudy colors. New dying chemicals and printing techniques put vast hues of colors on the market that had never been possible before.

I imagine the plaids, especially, were quite terrifying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284October 29, 2021 2:30 AM

R284, the colors were intense in part because gaslight was coming into general use and it caused the pastels favored by the 18th century and early Romantic periods to seem sallow or browned-out. This was particularly true of greens and pinks.

The use of arsenic in green dresses and ornaments corrected this - and also led to the deaths of many seamstresses and the occasional socialite. It was finally brought to the public attention when a physician made a study of a ballroom carpet after a soiree of some 200 people and published a report that there had been enough arsenic left by the gowns and gentlemen's sashes to poison every single person present.

The comment in Gosford Park "Green...such a difficult color..." refers to the resultant scare.

by Anonymousreply 285October 29, 2021 2:45 AM

r285 is why I love DL. Such interesting historical knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 286October 29, 2021 2:48 AM

[quote]Victorians loved bright, gaudy colors

R284 I knew it - I'm a Victorian at heart

Oh and everything else you say is absolutely right too

by Anonymousreply 287October 29, 2021 2:54 AM

I’m the good friend that can get them a discount on the William Morris wallpaper. By the time this dump is papered, it’s gonna look like the set of My Fair Lady. So deliciously low indeed.

by Anonymousreply 288October 29, 2021 3:55 AM

I'm the 1970s horror film filmed here long before the queens knew the house existed. I am titled "The Hideous Mansion" and hoo-boy do I ever live up to the title.

The Queens finally see me over a Halloween weekend and practically shit a bright red brick when they realize what their master bedroom was once witness to.

by Anonymousreply 289October 29, 2021 4:01 AM

LOL - some time ago I posted a thread about let's be a middle aged gay couple in Embalm Springs and was eaten alive for being cruel to our own.

I guess it's literally all a question of taste.

by Anonymousreply 290October 29, 2021 4:08 AM

I’m the Voysey wallpaper Cecil fell in love with for the scullery, where the cats eat, and that Jerome said was much, much too expensive.

Cecil insisted he could stencil it, pointing out he did have two Art History degrees, but the project is a crude, drippy mess (shelves to work around) and has remained unfinished for four years.

Jerome brings this disaster up whenever Cecil blithely says he can “tackle anything.” If he’s really mad he’ll ask if the Arts & Crafts Movement truly is Victorian, adding, “But you’re the supposed Arts major.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291October 29, 2021 4:16 AM

^ Very well played. I'm going to bed chuckling. xo

by Anonymousreply 292October 29, 2021 4:18 AM

I'm the hydrangeas that have never been the desired color.

by Anonymousreply 293October 29, 2021 4:31 AM

R291 that wallpaper is called, get this "I Love Little Pussy"!! I shit you not.

Since I am not an Arts major and only have an engineering cert from trade school I wont fuck round trying to stencil that. I'll just get some good quality paper and use my colour printer to do the job, matching and correcting colours on the 4K monitor connected to my laptop using an open source graphics software package. No mess, no fuss, and once I've worked out exactly how to print and cut with a few dry runs using ordinary paper I'll have the lot done in a night

Not quite Victorian as you say, but still fucking cool

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294October 29, 2021 6:19 AM

I am the creaks and moans in the wooden frame that keep the queens terrified at night. The house is in a shady part of town, after all, that has failed to gentrify during the last decade. There is a baseball bat under the bed. Melvin insists “there will be no gun in our house”. It’s not really the home intruders he is worried about...

by Anonymousreply 295October 29, 2021 1:35 PM

Stealth Pete bashing thread!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 296October 29, 2021 3:16 PM

[quote]R294 I wont fuck round trying to stencil that. I'll just get some good quality paper and use my colour printer to do the job, matching and correcting colours on the 4K monitor connected to my laptop using an open source graphics software package.

You could order a sample of the original. That could help with the color matching, if needed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297October 29, 2021 3:17 PM

i DO love Little Pussy ! !

Might a stained glass panel be next ? ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298October 29, 2021 3:22 PM

I’m the grungy convenience store just around the corner, I know… can you believe it? This neighborhood.

They mostly sell lotto tickets and expired Goya. Alfred refuses to set foot in the place. I brave the din on occasion for late night Little Debbie binges. But always with a silk scarf over my mouth and sunglasses. I have to tap my rings loudly on the counter for two minutes just for counter service. I know, it’s ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 299October 29, 2021 3:33 PM

R298... more something along the lines of this, I think... it would be wasted on a wall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300October 29, 2021 4:22 PM

Yes, very bright colors for ladies' clothing came into style somewhere in the mid 19th century, as new dyes based on coal byproducts were invented, which produced the most vividly intense colors that anyone had ever seen, brighter than the dangerous "Arsenic green" of the early century.

That doesn't mean that luridly colored wallpapers were the fashion. Even as brilliant colors appeared on dresses, it was still fashionable to have dingy muted wallpaper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301October 30, 2021 12:16 AM

No, this is the Degas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302October 30, 2021 12:17 AM

Degas again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303October 30, 2021 12:18 AM

Dinge queen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304October 30, 2021 12:22 AM

[quote]Victorians loved bright, gaudy coloreds.

We especially loved it when they tap danced for us.

by Anonymousreply 305October 30, 2021 1:37 AM

L-O-fuckin'-L, R305

by Anonymousreply 306October 30, 2021 2:31 AM

I am twee embroidery work. I was invented so well-to-do young women would have something to do other than slash their own wrists in the face of how fucking boring their lives were.

by Anonymousreply 307October 30, 2021 2:32 AM

I am the porch swing.

I...don't want to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 308October 30, 2021 2:33 AM

I am an iron doorstop shaped like a locomotive.

I have broken four toes thus far.

Tee hee.

by Anonymousreply 309October 30, 2021 2:34 AM

I am the wiring.

Every now and again one of the queens will think of me at 3 AM and pass the rest of the night staring in horror at the ceiling.

by Anonymousreply 310October 30, 2021 2:35 AM

^Wouldn't they have restored the old wiring with new when they replaced the plumbing with copper pipes?

by Anonymousreply 311October 30, 2021 2:46 AM

[quote] pass the rest of the night staring in horror at the ceiling

This also happens after our monthly scheduled sex night.

by Anonymousreply 312October 30, 2021 2:51 AM

R308. I'm that other swing, the one down in the basement.

I don't want to talk about it, either.

by Anonymousreply 313October 30, 2021 2:52 AM

R310 They were cheap (copper is expensive these days). So they replaced the mains and boxes but left most of the internal wiring intact.

Which is a good reminder of something the mansion doesn't have: fire extinguishers.

by Anonymousreply 314October 30, 2021 3:01 AM

But they're so ugly, R314!

Ditto smoke alarms, sprinkler systems, a fire-escape for the fourth floor tower bedroom, etc.

by Anonymousreply 315October 30, 2021 3:06 AM

R315 Maybe it's intentional. They'd probably be happy to see the firemen come.

by Anonymousreply 316October 30, 2021 3:21 AM

Well, yeah, duh, R316. But there's online porn for that.

by Anonymousreply 317October 30, 2021 6:38 AM

[quote]Even as brilliant colors appeared on dresses, it was still fashionable to have dingy muted wallpaper.

Not exactly, R301. Through the whole of the 19thC taste in color changed rapidy, and not always in a neat succession but with simultaneously disparate tastes in color and pattern and design. This was even more pronounced in the seven decades of of the Victorian era. If you seek an example of "dingy muted wallpaper" colors you will find it. If you seek an example of eye-seeringly intense colors you will find those, too.

Your illustration is an 1883 painting by Edward Lamson Henry, a decade most often characterized by the peak popularity of William Morris all over stylized floral wallpapers in monochrome or muted color ranges, or in polychrome schemes with bright colors used as highlights against generally dark fields decorated with all over pattern. Morris' wallpapers were reasonably mainstream for middle class houses, and if they didn't make it in directly, the same taste was adapted by other designers of the period in cheaper, more accessible patterns that, then and today, are called generically Morris wallpapers though a good many are knock-offs or "in the taste of." Edward Lamson Henry was an American painter whose work often shows room interiors and nostalgic scenes of the Old South (he was from Charleston.) In your example from 1883 you see the subjects were upper middle class or rich, an "old family" by the look of the 18thC furniture mixed in with some mid-19thC furniture in the French taste. The chimneypiece is in the Federal style, but it could as easily be Federal in period as Colonial Revival, but the suggestion is that it is Federal (even if the proportions of the applied decoration are more 1880s) because of the gilt overmantle mirror that sits atop it. It looks like a room where, recognizing changing taste, some of the old family furniture was brought forward from the back rooms and put center stage; an informal hooked rug, a popular home craft thing of the 1880s and useful for catching sparks from the fire, is laid atop a geometric patterned wall-to-wall carpeting (in strips) from the 18020s-1840s, the gilt curtain rods with acanthus carving date to the same period. It's a room where things in and out of taste cohabit, and the most fashionable of these are the oldest: the sofa, the secretary desk, the Chippendale side chair of the younger woman, and the girandole mirror between the two front windows and the overmantle mirror each a bit later but still old, and now, since the 1870s, fashionably antique. Because there is no pattern, it's possible that the walls are not papered but possibly just painted plaster (the color extends up through the cornice), but either way it's an appropriate drab color scheme for the period. Whether it is meant to be seen as fresh or an old family house whose walls had not been painted in half a century we don't know; it could as easily be one as the other, and all the more so from a Charleston painter where rooms with ancestral furniture never quite went out of style (the portrait of an ancestor in outmoded clothing is perched up high, 1880s hanging style, in an 1830s-40s gilt frame, surveying the scene.

Yes, you can find examples of drab colored walls and wallpapers, from the 1820s, from the 1880s, not so much from the period in between, but it's just one example. You could as easily find an example typical of another taste from the 1880s that was muted in reds or greens most likely, overlaid with geometric patterns of gold or silver, or wild swirly flowers highly stylized or not, or a quite intense coral-red, or yellows on golds, or a decade earlier turquoise or robin's egg blue. Wallpaper was never one thing or one look or one style in the 19thC, it was a lot of things all at once.

Short answer: you can never pin down Victorian wallpaper to a few descriptive words because it was everything, sometimes all at once.

by Anonymousreply 318October 30, 2021 9:04 AM

I'm SO happy to have a place to fight over 19th century wallpaper! I love you all!

by Anonymousreply 319October 30, 2021 9:32 AM

I'm a copy of the portrait of Elizabeth Báthory. The residents bought me at an auction in Hamburg. I hang on the living room wall adjacent to the fireplace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320October 30, 2021 12:31 PM

I’m the overly formal dining room. The table is perennially set as if royalty will be arriving momentarily. Rumor has it the Bernardaud dinnerware is reproduction. Nasty queens! How very dare them.

by Anonymousreply 321October 30, 2021 1:18 PM

I am the sudden demise of this thread. I mirror the murder-suicide of the Caftan Queens that was predicted in it.

by Anonymousreply 322November 2, 2021 8:11 AM

I am the kitchen spiral staircase that was originally for the servants. I will assist in the demise of this couple when Jerome pushes Quinton down the steps. He will blame the Turkish silk slippers Quinton used to wear.

by Anonymousreply 323November 2, 2021 9:51 AM

I am the ambulance technician charged with extracting stiff, fat Quinton from the narrow and steep spiral staircase. He is upside down, so the caftan slid, covering his swollen face with its terrified expression but exposing his clean shaven privates and prominent Prince Albert.

by Anonymousreply 324November 2, 2021 12:41 PM

I'm the dog. Even I run from the sight of that.

by Anonymousreply 325November 2, 2021 1:43 PM

I'm the overpriced Christopher Dresser wallpaper by Bradbury & Bradbury.

by Anonymousreply 326November 2, 2021 2:17 PM

I'm chipped glass doorknobs.

I am PRICELESS!

by Anonymousreply 327November 2, 2021 2:20 PM

I am Hudson, NY. My streets are lined with these places.

Also, there's someone passing out plastic bags of cat hair cake at the corner of Warren and Third.

Sometimes I miss the crackhouse days.

by Anonymousreply 328November 2, 2021 2:21 PM

I’m the great idea we come up with to solve our massive, entirely reno-related financial woes: starting a B&B here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329November 2, 2021 2:26 PM

I'll raise R326's Christopher Dresser with a $16,000 collection of trashy gay Christopher Radko xmas ornaments.

"Quinton, please! How many times must I tell you? Unwrap these treasures from their original boxes only over the specially padded and blanketed Kimball & Cabus [i]japonisme[/i] center table!"

by Anonymousreply 330November 2, 2021 3:07 PM

I'm the tax assessor come to re-appraise your B&B as commercial premises.

And you thought you were going to get rich. The nerve.

by Anonymousreply 331November 2, 2021 3:24 PM

I'm the screws securing the signed Patty Duke photo to the wall in the downstairs bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 332November 2, 2021 3:27 PM

We are the nine boxes of Christmas decorations stashed in an upstairs closet at the end of the hallway. Only half of us have been re-used. Tacky, but expensive, new decorations are bought each year in early November.

by Anonymousreply 333November 2, 2021 4:35 PM

Hudson, NY is indeed the entirety of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 334November 2, 2021 4:56 PM

I am the creepy dolls

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335November 2, 2021 5:34 PM

I'm the ghost of Lizzie Borden... considering where to go on vacation.

by Anonymousreply 336November 2, 2021 9:05 PM

R335 I love Victorian decor, but I draw a hard line at dolls, yecch. That would actually be a nice place minus those things.

Fortunately my partner and flatmate are even more skeeved out by those things than I am.

by Anonymousreply 337November 2, 2021 9:26 PM

R337, I could not live with this wallpaper for more than a week. It makes me dizzy.

by Anonymousreply 338November 2, 2021 11:05 PM

Mmmmm, Kimball & Cabus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339November 3, 2021 3:26 AM

Oh, dearing myself: Kimbel, not Kimball.

by Anonymousreply 340November 3, 2021 3:27 AM

We're the fire-retardant caftans they wear specially at Christmas when the electric lights are all replaced by candles.

by Anonymousreply 341November 3, 2021 3:34 AM

R339 thats pretty cool, lots more here. Dont see this stuff down under mores the pity. We're pretty sorely deprived of rococo too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342November 3, 2021 4:16 AM

I'm the British version of this house.

I'm damper, draftier, and far more grim overall, being constructed of shit-brown brick or dull grey stone.

by Anonymousreply 343November 3, 2021 4:43 AM

[quote] I would add a Caftan PSA on Safety re: sashaying around all the open fireplaces and flouncing around a roaring fire, especially whilst imbibing.

Wasn't this how Jack Cassidy died? Shirley had to do some serious damage control.

by Anonymousreply 344November 5, 2021 3:19 PM

I'm the cobwebs.

by Anonymousreply 345November 5, 2021 3:35 PM

I'm the cob.

Discarded on the porch stair after the BBQ on the veranda.

Quentin is about to stand on me.

by Anonymousreply 346November 5, 2021 6:18 PM

R328 Oh honey. Miss the crackhouses? Just walk two blocks north-east from Warren Street.

by Anonymousreply 347November 5, 2021 6:31 PM

Turkish corner? Who said that?

Come over here and sit beside me. I want to show some my inspiration board for a redoing the tower guest room as a Turkish Corner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348November 5, 2021 6:32 PM

I am Miss Havisham. I feel right at home with these two caftan-earring queens.

by Anonymousreply 349November 6, 2021 2:17 AM

We're the long-simmering feud with Michal and Topher from the minimalist decor thread, because WE are the taste makers in this town!.

by Anonymousreply 350November 6, 2021 6:13 AM

Guess who is coming to dinner?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351November 6, 2021 9:26 AM

I'm the small I LOVE YOU THIS MUCH figurine on the mantle. Not counting these queens, I'm the oldest thing in the joint. GTFOH with your fake Regency Repos.

by Anonymousreply 352November 6, 2021 3:29 PM

I'm the wadded balls of excessive sani-wipes now wreaking havoc with the 110 year old plumbing.

by Anonymousreply 353November 6, 2021 5:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!