Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

James Daly, Father of Tyne Daly

After watching an old episode of Cagney and Lacey, I read this about Tyne Daly's father James Daly, who I remember from watching Medical Center. This is truly tragic.

From Wikipedia: According to his son Tim Daly during an interview on CBS News Sunday Morning, James Daly came out to Tim as gay a decade after divorcing his wife Hope. His struggle to come to terms with his sexual orientation nearly put a rift between him and his family. As homosexuality was still considered a mental illness until the early 1970s, he and his wife tried and failed at "curing" him. After their divorce, Daly decided to limit his contact with his children out of fear that they would end up mentally ill themselves.[5]

Anyone know anything else about this poor man? I mean, we really have come a long way since then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 21, 2021 10:24 PM

Bump for daytime posters.

by Anonymousreply 1October 12, 2021 3:24 PM

That's how it was in the early 70's. If you went to a therapist and told them you were "a homosexual" they would start trying to figure out how your relationship with your mother went wrong so that you started to "reject" women. The medical and psychiatric fields treated you as if you were a child molester. Most parents looked at you as their own failure in life and people sometimes recoiled when they found out you were gay.

That's a really sad story about James Daly. Tyne pings like crazy to me.

by Anonymousreply 2October 12, 2021 3:55 PM

Tyne Daly is NOT a lez, and I'm the fella who can prove it!

by Anonymousreply 3October 12, 2021 4:02 PM

Tyne is a LESBO and Tim is a HOMO

by Anonymousreply 4October 12, 2021 4:03 PM

Tyne always pinged to me, too -- but it was Sharon Glass the other lesbians always lusted over. I could never figure out why.

by Anonymousreply 5October 12, 2021 4:06 PM

r5, Sharon was cuter IMO.

by Anonymousreply 6October 12, 2021 4:14 PM

R6- YEARS ago there was a lesbian fan of Sharon Gless who was stalking her.

by Anonymousreply 7October 12, 2021 4:16 PM

Sam Daly is handsome in a very quirky way, almost old timey Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 12, 2021 4:19 PM

r3 - Thanks, Haav!

by Anonymousreply 9October 12, 2021 4:20 PM

Tim was hot.

by Anonymousreply 10October 12, 2021 5:50 PM

He screwed his partner over by not amending his will. When Daly died his ex evicted his partner, who sued and lost.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 6:05 PM

He was fugly like Tyne now if he was even half as hot as Tim, that would be different.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 6:12 PM

Now Haav....stay off the high steel!

by Anonymousreply 13October 12, 2021 6:17 PM

They look exactly alike!

by Anonymousreply 14October 12, 2021 6:21 PM

That’s a sad story. Tim was so cute as the gay brother in “I’ll Take Manhattan” with Valerie Bertinelli. I also saw him on stage in Coastal Disturbances a year or so before.

by Anonymousreply 15October 12, 2021 6:27 PM

What does Chad Everett have to say? I wonder if he is still sore about losing the role of Steve Austin to Lee Majors.

by Anonymousreply 16October 12, 2021 6:30 PM

Tim Daly and Steven Weber seemed like the perfect gay couple in WINGS. I could never get over the erotic energy between them.

Weber looked so hot back in the day, but he's aged terribly.

by Anonymousreply 17October 12, 2021 6:33 PM

Steven Weber today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 12, 2021 6:34 PM

egad, yes indeed

by Anonymousreply 19October 12, 2021 6:41 PM

I thought James Daly and Daniel J. Travanti were a couple.

by Anonymousreply 20October 12, 2021 6:52 PM

Tim Daly made me gay

by Anonymousreply 21October 12, 2021 6:53 PM

Here's Tim Daly, recently on Talking Sopranos. IIRC, he said something about spending time with a girlfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 12, 2021 6:57 PM

Hasn't Daly been with Tea Leoni for years?

by Anonymousreply 23October 12, 2021 6:58 PM

From WIKI: Daly married actress Amy Van Nostrand in 1982. They have two children, Sam and Emelyn. His daughter played as the niece of his character in Madam Secretary. She graduated from Barnard College in 2011 and was a Fulbright scholar to Brazil. In 2010, Daly and Van Nostrand divorced. He has been dating his Madam Secretary co-star Téa Leoni since December 2014.

Tyne was married to The Rookies actor Georg Stanford Brown from 1966 to 1990. They have three daughters, including actress Kathryne Dora Brown. Tyne dated the late Clarence Williams III, best know as Linc in The Mod Squad TV series. His co-stars were the late Peggy Lipton and Michael Cole. Michael is still alive.

Wow, Tyne's actress daughter Kathryn is really attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 12, 2021 7:08 PM

What the hell kind of a name is Tyne anyway?

by Anonymousreply 25October 12, 2021 7:13 PM

What other white celeb can say they were on the cover of Jet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 12, 2021 7:16 PM

John Frankenheimer's 1957 film debut, THE YOUNG STRANGER features Daly as James MacArthur's frustrated father. Worth a look for the layers of ambiguity in the father-son relationship.

On Amazon Prime video.

by Anonymousreply 27October 12, 2021 7:55 PM

Carol O'Connor (Archie Bunker) made it onto the cover of Ebony.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 12, 2021 8:00 PM

R20 Daly and Daniel J. Travanti were involved back when Daly was on Medical Center, and Travanti went by "Danny" or "Dan Travanty."

Back in 1969, Los Angeles Times entertainment columnist, Cecil Smith, did an interview with the then 51-year old Daly, wherein he talked about how "sick" he was of doing Medical Center and how constricted he felt being under contract. The interview was done at Daly's home in Encino, and it mentioned that his Springer Spanel had just given birth to puppies, and that there was a "twin litter" (17 puppies in total) that belonged to actor "Dan Travanty" who was there, on the premises, at the same time. "Danny" would have been about 29 at the time.

Later in the interview, it mentioned that Daly's wife phoned during the interview. It went on to say that she was staying across the country in New York with their daughter who was pregnant with twins at the time.

While the cat's away the dogs will play?

by Anonymousreply 29October 12, 2021 8:12 PM

^^^ Meant to add that Travanti's long term partner was actor, Edward Penn (John Penn), who died in February 2020 at age 93. After leaving L.A., they made their home in Lake Forest, IL.

by Anonymousreply 30October 12, 2021 8:22 PM

Are they related to John Daly?

by Anonymousreply 31October 12, 2021 8:26 PM

[quote]What does Chad Everett have to say? I wonder if he is still sore about losing the role of Steve Austin to Lee Majors.

I doubt Chad has much to say these days, nor do I think he's sore about anything anymore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 12, 2021 8:37 PM

I don't think Tyne pings at all. It was surreal that Mary Beth Lacy did since she was married with children. Maybe Tyne naively played the role as soft butch since the character was a cop?! Such a thing is open to interpretation and I truly mean no harm.

Tyne wouldn't have as her ex husband a man with BDF and later on down the line be in a relationship with a man who also just so happened to have BDF if she was a Lesbian. If anything Tyne is a size Queen.

This whole story with her dad is heartbreaking. Poor man thought he was unworthy to his children because he was gay? Jesus Christ! He thought his being gay was a mental illness which could have adversely affected his children so he kept his distance? I'm sincerely grateful that psychology has evolved but still feel like crying a bit just all the same.

by Anonymousreply 33October 12, 2021 9:02 PM

I must have been under a rock because I never realized that Tyne Daly and Tim Daly were siblings. But I see it now.

I think Tyne is a handsome woman. Never cared for square jawed Gless who somehow seemed more butch even though Tyne was the larger one.

by Anonymousreply 34October 12, 2021 9:11 PM

Good looking guy in his prime I'd imagine, still not bad looking in OP's pic, got the silver fox thing going on

Pity he had such a shit life, as so many gay men did back then.

We got a ways to go, but damn this makes me appreciate how far we already come

by Anonymousreply 35October 12, 2021 9:47 PM

I saw Tyne 3 times on Broadway as Mama Rose in Gypsy. But I'm still questioning my sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 36October 12, 2021 9:58 PM

[quote] I must have been under a rock because I never realized that Tyne Daly and Tim Daly were siblings. But I see it now.

I didn't realize it for a long time. I think Tim had been on Wings for a long time before I learned that fact.

by Anonymousreply 37October 13, 2021 1:53 AM

He reminds me of Ted Knight.

by Anonymousreply 38October 13, 2021 1:54 AM

"When the closeted Daly died, his three daughters, including Tyne ("Cagney & Lacey"), invaded the seaside condo shared by James and his longtime male partner Randal Jones, and evicted him from the home. Jones sued, and the case was quietly settled out of court (not a word about the episode in The Advocate's interview with Tyne Daly; why make anyone uncomfortable about the injustices to gay people?).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 13, 2021 5:41 AM

"It was an open and notorious relationship," Ross said. "They traveled together. There was no closeted relationship. Except for their gender, they were married."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 13, 2021 5:45 AM

[quote] What the hell kind of a name is Tyne anyway?

R25 It's a river in Northeast England

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 13, 2021 6:12 AM

[quote] This is truly tragic.

I reckon Tim was exaggerating the tragedy. Most people would envy being a well-employed person living in La La Land.

by Anonymousreply 42October 13, 2021 6:19 AM

[quote] Tim was so cute as the gay brother in “I’ll Take Manhattan” with Valerie Bertinelli. I also saw him on stage in Coastal Disturbances a year or so before.

Adam Storke was the gay brother, not Tim Daly. Tim played the blind brother.

by Anonymousreply 43October 13, 2021 6:21 AM

R25

Tyne is an Irish or English name....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44October 13, 2021 6:29 AM

[quote] and the case was quietly settled out of court

After hearing the boyfriend's case, the court dismissed his claims, and that decision was upheld on appeal.

I'm not sure why they would have to settle something out of court. Did they offer him something to shut up and go away?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 13, 2021 6:32 AM

Tyne his hear middle name. Her first name is actually ELLEN.

by Anonymousreply 46October 13, 2021 6:34 AM

Notes On People, NYT 11 November 1978

When James Daly, the actor, died last July at the age of 58, he left a 1964 will by which his former wife and their four children are heirs to an estate of be$1 million to $2 million. But now, Randal Jones, who says he lived with the actor for two years, has filed suit in Santa Monica, Calif., maintaining that the two had a homosexual relationship and asking for half of the actor's estate. The 39-year-old Mr. Jones's suit cites the legal precedent of the so‐called Lee Marvin decision, in which a woman who had lived with Mr. Marvin, the actor, for several years was awarded financial settlement rights normally given to a legal wife in a divorce. Mr. Jones's lawyer said that Mr. Daly and Mr. Jones had “an open and notorious relationship, they traveled together. Except for their gender, they were married.” Mr. Daly was the co‐star for seven years of the “Medical Center” television series.

by Anonymousreply 47October 13, 2021 6:38 AM

Forgot link....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 13, 2021 6:39 AM

"1978: Actor James Daly, father of actors Tyne Daly and Timothy Daly, dies at the age of 59. His live-in lover, male model Randal G. Jones, files a “palimony” suit against the estate after being evicted from Daly’s Marina Del Rey condominium by the family."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 13, 2021 6:43 AM

I was named "Tyne" because when I was born, my mom said, "More kids? I'm done--you can stick a fork in it."

by Anonymousreply 50October 13, 2021 6:45 AM

DL has been down this road before....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2021 6:46 AM

Daly family likely settled with Randal G. Jones just to see the back of him...

The estate wasn't very large and continued legal proceedings simply would have been a drain. This was 1978, no court was going to award a gay man who basically admitted he was cohabitating in exchange for sex (to wit prostitution) , any portion of deceased estate or other monies.

Randal Jones must have saw sense, finally took what he was going to get and left.

by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2021 6:51 AM

He was quite handsome especially in OPs pic. Hopefully he got d like crazy to make up for the years of mental turmoil.

by Anonymousreply 53October 13, 2021 10:49 AM

Died age 58 in 1978? Early secret AIDS death?

by Anonymousreply 54October 13, 2021 10:52 AM

I wouldn't be able to distinguish him from John Saxon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 13, 2021 11:21 AM

James Daley has a thicker bottom lip. And possibly a thicker bottom.

by Anonymousreply 56October 13, 2021 12:11 PM

Is this the evicted model?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 13, 2021 12:42 PM

R52: "Randal Jones must have saw sense..."

by Anonymousreply 58October 13, 2021 7:04 PM

Could be R58. Under 'Special Interests', it lists "Songwriter, Singer, Performer."

by Anonymousreply 59October 13, 2021 7:09 PM

I'd dally with Daly, père et fils.

Maybe together.

by Anonymousreply 60October 13, 2021 7:28 PM

Travanti must've had a type. He's LTP, Edward Penn, was also older (by 14 years) and already turning silver when they hooked up in 1987 (both part of the touring company of "I Never Sang for My Father").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61October 13, 2021 7:55 PM

R54 More likely he smoked his way to that early heart attack.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 13, 2021 8:29 PM

God, can you imagine performing the play, "I Never Sang for My Father" over and over? I'd be so depressed at curtain call and would start drinking.

Some dramas are like that for me.

by Anonymousreply 63October 13, 2021 9:27 PM

Before Tyne played Mary Beth Lacey she was Dirty Harry’s sidekick. Good film, especially if you’re a fan of Tyne’s!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 13, 2021 9:45 PM

[quote] What the hell kind of a name is Tyne anyway?

Tyne is an old English verb.

As in TYNE it and WEAR it.

by Anonymousreply 65October 13, 2021 9:53 PM

Is this the fella whose death caused his champion diver son to fall into the arms of Dustin Lance Black?

by Anonymousreply 66October 13, 2021 10:11 PM

Dear R66, you are too young for this thread.

This thread is about someone who was popular there decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 67October 13, 2021 10:14 PM

IIRC, Adam Storke looked a bit like Patrick Swayze.

Adam Storke was on one of the soaps I watched. Can't remember which one.

by Anonymousreply 68October 14, 2021 2:06 PM

Suggest everyone read the NYT review of Tim Daly’s performance in Coastal Disturbances. The reviewer went overboard hailing his attributes as well as co- star Annette Bening, predicting accurately that both would head to Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 69October 14, 2021 7:21 PM

R67, uh R66 was joking.

by Anonymousreply 70October 15, 2021 2:39 AM

Speaking of Adam Storke, I just rewatched MYSTIC PIZZA the other noght on TCM. My God, it was painful. It looked and felt like it was a million years ago....Julia's eyebrows alone gave me nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 71October 15, 2021 2:51 AM

Tyne Daly and Zohla Lampert look like twins.

by Anonymousreply 72October 15, 2021 4:11 AM

But only one of them shilled for Goya.

by Anonymousreply 73October 15, 2021 3:56 PM

So besides Daniel J. Travanti and Randal G. Jones, who were some of Daly's other boyfriends? He probably had some when he did stage work in NYC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 15, 2021 8:45 PM

^ Look at those enormous dimple creases!

by Anonymousreply 75October 15, 2021 8:48 PM

Daly probably had a hard on for Van Williams when they were in "Saint Joan" on Broadway (ca. 1951-52). .. Daly played the young squire, "Robert de Baudricourt," who supports Joan (Uta Hagen). A very young Van was part of the ensemble cast and turned 18 three weeks after the play closed in February 1952.

by Anonymousreply 76October 15, 2021 10:10 PM

Sadly, unlike Tom Daley, Tim didn't opt for a Speedo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77October 15, 2021 10:18 PM

Van Williams

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 15, 2021 10:19 PM

R78, that looks nothing like the actor Van Williams, who was already a looker when he was playing varsity football in 1952.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79October 15, 2021 10:27 PM

I believe the Van Williams in r78's link is actually the name of the photographer who took the photo on sale, not the actor Van Williams. IIRC he had lots of photos that would appear in the old After Dark magazine.

But was the actor Van Williams really on Broadway in Saint Joan? I have a feeling it's another Van as the Surfside Six actor was a pure Hollywood product as far I've ever known.

by Anonymousreply 80October 15, 2021 10:47 PM

R80, Van Williams from Fort Worth, TX is listed in the opening night cast of Saint Joan. Same Van in Surfside Six.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 15, 2021 10:56 PM

Wow, r81, I had no idea one of my early crushes Van Williams had ever appeared on Broadway. I believe he made his film debut (naked and wet in a locker room shower!) in a Joshua Logan film TALL STORY (starring Jane Fonda and Tony Perkins) and perhaps Josh saw Van on Broadway and brought him to Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 82October 15, 2021 11:07 PM

Yes, R81 ... And you can even find Van listed in the 1955 Playbill for that production of "No Time for Sergeants" where it mentions that he was in Saint Joan, and an earlier production of Richard II.

So it would appear that young Van was actually discovered by our very own Maurice Evans .. lol! .. Love the part about Van's hobby of composing incidental harp music for Broadway productions.

The link below let's you Zoom in to the part about Van in the Playbill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 15, 2021 11:07 PM

Who was Tim’s father?

by Anonymousreply 84October 15, 2021 11:13 PM

[quote] Josh saw Van on Broadway and brought him to Hollywood

Wiki says Mike Todd found this young beauty while in Hawaii.

by Anonymousreply 85October 15, 2021 11:15 PM

James Daly and Van would have had Maurice Evans in common to talk about, since James starred with Maurice in the latter's production of "Man and Superman" in Chicago (1948), then they went to Broadway with it in 1949.

by Anonymousreply 86October 15, 2021 11:18 PM

Uh, somehow IBDB has screwed up their Van Williams.

I just read his wiki entry and it says he was discovered in Hawaii when he was a deep sea diver by producer Mike Todd in 1957. Which makes more sense as Van, born in 1934, would have been all of 17 in 1951 in that Saint Joan. Not impossible but not highly likely for an untrained boy from Ft. Worth. And the Playbill bio linked by IBDB has Van attending Yale School of Drama. When would the Surfside 6 actor have had time for grad school in New Haven?

by Anonymousreply 87October 15, 2021 11:26 PM

R86 I doubt James Daly would have any idea what 'Man and Superman' was about.

Bernard Shaw was playing with the ideas of Nietsche and sterilising people with faulty genes.

by Anonymousreply 88October 15, 2021 11:28 PM

R88 I'm sure Maurice would have schooled Daly on his 'vision' of the play .. lol. .. And it's not like Daly was an idiot. He studied both music and drama and obtained a college degree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89October 15, 2021 11:54 PM

I wish Tim Daly were gay (at least when he was young)

by Anonymousreply 90October 15, 2021 11:57 PM

R77 Looks like Timmy boy might have the Irish curse. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 91October 16, 2021 12:08 AM

Aside from "Gypsy," ever character Tyne plays is the same. I can tell when she's going to pause in a sentence.

by Anonymousreply 92October 16, 2021 12:18 AM

[quote] Uh, somehow IBDB has screwed up their Van Williams.

Yet, Van's very first TV-Film credit at IMDb also shows him appearing in Maurice Evan's television movie production of "King Richard II". This was done in 1954, a few years after the theatre production of the play mentioned in the Playbill. So if IBDB made a mistake, then IMDB made one too?

by Anonymousreply 93October 16, 2021 12:22 AM

It's quite simple. There were two actors named Van Williams.

And IBDB is mistakenly mixing up the two and assigning the non-Surfside 6 actor the Surfside 6 actor's birth and death details.

by Anonymousreply 94October 16, 2021 1:03 AM

And yes, IMDB is making the same mistake.

by Anonymousreply 95October 16, 2021 1:04 AM

Perhaps the kid was rich and Daddy paid him to cross the country and go to Hawaii for holidays.

The name Van sounds like a name a rich man would give to an entitled son.

by Anonymousreply 96October 16, 2021 1:07 AM

R86, supposedly Maurice Evans was a big chickenhawk

by Anonymousreply 97October 16, 2021 1:10 AM

[quote] supposedly

Is your 'supposition' just as wacky as the other supposition that Minnelli was supposedly sodomising Kelly on the back of the MGM backlot?

by Anonymousreply 98October 16, 2021 1:14 AM

Interesting that one of Mike Todd's big hits on Broadway was Maurice Evans' starring in Hamlet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99October 16, 2021 1:14 AM

^ Maurice must have been 60 by then.

by Anonymousreply 100October 16, 2021 1:17 AM

Hamlet as Eldergay

by Anonymousreply 101October 16, 2021 1:31 AM

I bet Maurice loved going to all those military bases to present his "streamlined" version of the play to soldiers during the war. It became known as "G.I. Hamlet."

by Anonymousreply 102October 16, 2021 1:35 AM

I love his epi of Twilight Zone. His wife is such a bitch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103October 16, 2021 1:47 AM

^ Love that episode

by Anonymousreply 104October 16, 2021 3:44 AM

R83, wrong Van Williams.

Williams was "discovered" by the infamous lech Henry Willson, whose most famous client was Rock Hudson. Not sure if Williams had to go down on one or two knees, but it wouldn't be surprising, even if he wasn't gay. Others in Willson's stable were Tab Hunter, Rory Calhoun, Troy Donahue, Robert Wagner, John Saxon, Guy Madison, etc.

"Rock's sex drive was enormous," Van Williams, another Willson client, told Hofler."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 16, 2021 4:51 AM

[quote] the infamous lech Henry Willson

Are you saying he dreamed up the fake name 'Van' just like the fake 'Tab' and the fake 'Rock' and the fake 'Rip'?

by Anonymousreply 106October 16, 2021 5:15 AM

Hunt Slonem and his fucking rabbits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107October 16, 2021 5:55 AM

I guess, Naive Annie as I am, that I always thought Van was short for Donovan.

by Anonymousreply 108October 16, 2021 5:55 AM

Sorry, wrong thread, But at least it's a break from Van Williams invading the James Day thread.

by Anonymousreply 109October 16, 2021 6:00 AM

Between 1970 and 1975 Tyne got four separate gigs on "Medical Center." Thanks dad!

"Dan Travanty" showed up on "Medical Center" in 1970 as a guest doctor. The cute guy in this episode was Geoffrey Deuel, Pete Duel's brother, wearing tons of Coppertone QT as a Native American medic. (Link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 16, 2021 10:10 PM

How is Daniel J. Travanti doing these days? I haven't seen him in anything in awhile

by Anonymousreply 111October 16, 2021 10:41 PM

R111, Dan's last credit, according to imdb, is NCIS LA in 2019, and he was barely recognizable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112October 16, 2021 10:49 PM

Travanti was gorgeous back in the day. He used to do the Battle of the Network Stars shows wearing nothing but a speedo.

But apparently he was very difficult to work with.

by Anonymousreply 113October 16, 2021 11:00 PM

A long time ago-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 16, 2021 11:15 PM

He's proud of being the same weight he was when he was in college.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 16, 2021 11:45 PM

That's such a sweet interview with Travanti, r115. Thanks for posting. He seems like a very low-key, modest honest guy.

by Anonymousreply 116October 17, 2021 12:44 AM

He looks great for 79 (in 2019) in that clip.

Weird that there's absolutely no mention of his personal life on his wiki page.

by Anonymousreply 117October 17, 2021 4:59 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 17, 2021 5:09 AM

R116 If you'd like to hear more from Daniel about his career, I'd recommend his Television Academy iterview from 2004. It's nine parts in 4 1/2 hours. As he says, the two things he's good at are acting and TALKING .. lol. Same impression there; low-key, modest, honest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 18, 2021 12:20 AM

Did he get with George Maharis when he guest starred on Route 66? Maybe they took a trip onto Route 69!

by Anonymousreply 120October 18, 2021 1:24 AM

Travanti did a guest spot on The Patty Duke show where he played a football player in love with Cathy. He was cute as hell back then

by Anonymousreply 121October 18, 2021 1:25 AM

R120 Probably not. Travanti's guest spot on "Route 66" was after Maharis was gone from the show. In the interview above, he mentions working with Sylvia Sydney who was also in the episode.

What I'd like to know is if he hooked up with Sal Mineo during the making of "Who Shot Teddy Bear?" Travanti played the mute bouncer at the discotheque where Sal and Juliet Prowse's characters worked. And yeah, R121, he was really hot. That film was done about a year after his appearance on "Patty Duke."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122October 18, 2021 3:34 AM

Can you all start a Daniel Travanti thread and get back to ME?!

by Anonymousreply 123October 18, 2021 11:18 AM

[quote] get back to ME?!

We have exhausted you.

by Anonymousreply 124October 18, 2021 1:30 PM

DJT (when he was still "Dan Travanty") with Our Sally on "Gidget."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 18, 2021 1:32 PM

While I love how sweet and self-effacing Daniel Travanti is in those interviews, but my god, can he go on and on and on and on....

The TV Academy interviews could easily be cut down to an entire 45 minutes for all he says. But I'm glad to see and hear how sane and apparently happy he is. For so many years I've had the impression he long went over the deep end in alcoholism and dementia though I don't know where I would have heard that.

by Anonymousreply 126October 18, 2021 1:43 PM

I want to be the filling in a Tim and Sam Daly sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 127October 18, 2021 1:58 PM

[quote] Can you all start a Daniel Travanti thread and get back to ME?!

We're discussing YOUR boyfriend.

I'm wondering how that worked?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 18, 2021 4:47 PM

Goodness! What was the photo taken for, r128? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 129October 18, 2021 5:33 PM

Damn, that DJT photo is hot

by Anonymousreply 130October 18, 2021 5:45 PM

R129 I saw that photo for sale on eBay, and I've been trying to find the original source, but no luck.

On another note, I forgot all about terrycloth briefs in the 80s!

by Anonymousreply 131October 18, 2021 7:04 PM

[quote]Damn, that DJT photo is hot

No one has EVER said that.

by Anonymousreply 132October 18, 2021 7:05 PM

R128's photo looks like an underwear ad from the 80s but Google didn't turn up anything useful. Although I did find out Travanti's birth name is Danielo Giovanni Travanti as well as the pic below from People.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 19, 2021 12:32 AM

I thought about ordering that photo from eBay but the seller is suspicious to me.

by Anonymousreply 134October 19, 2021 4:20 PM

Nice and toned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135October 19, 2021 4:34 PM

In that photo at r135, it looks like they photoshopped Dan's tummy hair out and added abs.

by Anonymousreply 136October 19, 2021 7:03 PM

Danny liked to walk around in his undies for magazine interviews. The photo below is from a People magazine.

There was a snippet in Academy interview above where he said that, when he gave up alcohol in '73, he lived in Venice, California, but would drive all the way to Laguna Beach to go to an AA meeting. .. Laguna in the 70s? What a gay enclave! .. I bet he had fun while working on his sobriety.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 19, 2021 7:05 PM

r34, Tyne is what I term "character actress pretty". On film they can achieve *pretty* and on stage they can achieve *beautiful* ...if the role calls for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138October 19, 2021 7:19 PM

^^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139October 19, 2021 7:20 PM

I remember Tyne looked gorgeous in MOTHERS AND SONS on Broadway about 7 years ago. Not sexy young thing but regal matron gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2021 7:44 PM

Travanti was very clever with all of those scantily clad casual PR photos because they so much went against his suited and buttoned up image on Hill Street Blues. IIRC even in those occasional final shots of the episode where he'd be sharing a bath or bed with Veronica Hamel, the camera never allowed you to see his full gorgeous body.

by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2021 7:47 PM

I devised my own hairdo. It's a wedge with a peekaboo bang. I call it a Veronica Hamill.

by Anonymousreply 142October 19, 2021 7:58 PM

When Travanti hosted SNL in 1982 they did a parody of Hiil Street Blues, and he gave the audience some manspread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143October 19, 2021 8:00 PM

It seems like Travanti couldn't keep his clothes on when he wasn't on Hill Street Blues.

by Anonymousreply 144October 19, 2021 9:10 PM

Joan Van Ark tries to dunk Travanti in this BATTLE OF THE NETWORK STARS episode. The action starts at 39:40. He strips down to blue speedos. 😀 Sorry for the poor quality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145October 19, 2021 11:41 PM

R144 It seems like Travanti couldn't keep his clothes on when he wasn't on Hill Street Blues.

I remember a Rolling Stone interviewer back in the 80s who visited Richard Gere's LA house and conducted the interview nude at the swimming pool.

He wore underpants in this one—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 19, 2021 11:48 PM

danny travanty makes me tingle

by Anonymousreply 147October 20, 2021 3:45 AM

So we hear, R147.

by Anonymousreply 148October 20, 2021 4:24 AM

Surely Travanti got quality and quantity dick back in the day when HIV was silently spreading. How did he and others escape HIV?

by Anonymousreply 149October 20, 2021 4:41 AM

Are we sure Travanti is gay, or is that more of you boys' wishful thinking? Didn't he have a bit of a torrid romance with Veronica Hamil?

by Anonymousreply 150October 20, 2021 4:44 AM

I remember a "Rolling Stone" interview with Treat Williams where he suddenly started dancing around and pulled his dick out. Tragically, there were no photos.

by Anonymousreply 151October 20, 2021 5:42 AM

In 1988's "Midnight Crossing" (done with Faye Dunaway, Kim Cattrall, and John Laughlin) there are several scenes of Danny in a Speedo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152October 20, 2021 5:59 AM

I tried to watch "Midnight Crossing" and knew very quickly that it would not be the hit of all Europe and Cannes.

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2021 6:02 AM

COME ON. This is getting ridiculous. Someone should really start a separate thread on Travanti, if they really want to spread the love. No one's gonna see it here at the end of a thread on Daly...

by Anonymousreply 154October 20, 2021 6:43 AM

[R71]: I remember Adam Storke on "Search For Tomorrow".

by Anonymousreply 155October 20, 2021 7:02 AM

R154 Don't worry. Danny already gets his own thread on DL about every other year. The last one was put up just this past March to wish him a happy birthday.

Is there much more to say about Daly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156October 20, 2021 8:29 AM

Tim played the father of a closeted young man on SVU years ago. I wonder if he found that role cathartic vis a vis his relationship with his dad.

by Anonymousreply 157October 20, 2021 2:00 PM

Dr. Paul Lochner to Dr. Joe Gannon:

[quote] Joe, I knew Ben Teverly was a homosexual when I hired him.

Guest Star, Paul Burke, as homosexual Dr. Ben Teverly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158October 20, 2021 8:55 PM

I'm Ben Teverly and I'm a sex pig.

by Anonymousreply 159October 20, 2021 8:58 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 160October 20, 2021 9:31 PM

When Joe told Paul all the places that he'd looked for Ben without luck, Paul should have suggested that Joe try someplace like The Rusty Nail or Spike bar or maybe the Melrose Spa.

by Anonymousreply 161October 20, 2021 9:32 PM

R158, wonder how Daly felt when they were filming that...

by Anonymousreply 162October 20, 2021 11:26 PM

Lyon Burke is not a homosexual!!

by Anonymousreply 163October 21, 2021 12:35 PM

I was not eating!

by Anonymousreply 164October 21, 2021 10:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!