Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actor Tim Daly OUTS His Father As Gay!

Just on CBS Sunday Morning saying that his father actor James Daly left him as a young boy to seek treatment on his homosexuality, Worked very very hard. Tim said he loved his father deeply and was devastated when his father died just when they were starting to get to know one another again,

I had no idea actor James Daly was gay,

by Anonymousreply 69February 9, 2017 2:08 PM

I had no idea either, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1June 19, 2016 2:10 PM

Just saw that myself OP, I was shocked. Most probably remember him as the boss on Medical Center.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2June 19, 2016 2:12 PM

Tim said his father stayed away because back then Jim Daly thought he would pass the gay disease to his son, just by being around him,

Very sad story, but important as today is fathers day.

by Anonymousreply 3June 19, 2016 2:18 PM

in 1978 James Daly live-in lover, male model Randal G. Jones, files a “palimony” suit against the estate after being evicted from Daly’s Marina Del Rey condominium by the family.

by Anonymousreply 4June 19, 2016 2:23 PM

It's old news. Real old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 19, 2016 2:24 PM

The only people who didn't know James Daly was gay are the people who didn't know who James Daly was.

by Anonymousreply 6June 19, 2016 2:25 PM

I was just watching Planet of the Apes this weekend and thinking that Daly had a pretty tight body but that he looked a lot younger than most of the photos I remembered seeing of him from his television work. (He was 49 when he shot POTA.) It's like he hit 50 and overnight turned into a senior citizen.

by Anonymousreply 7June 19, 2016 2:28 PM

I'm more shocked that I just realized that Tim Daly is Tyne Daly's brother.

by Anonymousreply 8June 19, 2016 2:29 PM

Any pics of the model, Randal Jones? Was he hot?

by Anonymousreply 9June 19, 2016 2:30 PM

R5 at the time people didn't believe it because the family said (and remember this was 1978) Randal was a housekeeper, who was paid a salary and both men slept in separate bedrooms.

by Anonymousreply 10June 19, 2016 2:31 PM

[quote]I had no idea actor James Daly was gay,

Gee...color me shocked too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11June 19, 2016 2:31 PM

R5 & R6 if that is the case why is there NOTHING on James Daly wiki page about him being gay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12June 19, 2016 2:36 PM

As someone said, Tim didn't out him but it was a moving interview on that point. You can see the restrained pain in his face about this most personal issue. BTW, Tim looks very good.

by Anonymousreply 13June 19, 2016 2:38 PM

r10, I just read the appeals court decision and the (successful) legal argument made by the family was that the cohabitation agreement was invalid because it was supported by illegal meretricious consideration, i.e. the relationship was sexual and Jones was asking the court to support a prostitution contract. It's a sad read, gay men couldn't win.

by Anonymousreply 14June 19, 2016 2:38 PM

Tim Daly just tweeted this

"My Dad. Love you."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15June 19, 2016 2:39 PM

For those who have not seen this moving interview here is the transcript

And although his parents divorced when he was nine, there was one secret he found out about years later that still affects him:

"My dad left when I was a very young man, a young boy, and I didn't see him very much. You know, my parents had a long and difficult marriage, mostly because my father was gay. Not many people know this.

"But given the wisdom of that era -- the medical, psychological and societal wisdom of that time, which was all false -- being homosexual was a disease, right, that could be cured," Daly said. "My father worked very hard to try to 'cure' himself of something that was incurable, and so did my mom. And it was very sad.

"So when he left, my parents made a mutual decision based on all this false information that they would limit my exposure to my father so that I would not contract this 'disease.' And it was a tragedy, as I look back on it, because my father had the means and the desire to see me, and I loved him desperately. And I saw him maybe a couple weeks a year."

It wasn't until he was 19, Daly says, that his father told him the truth. And just two years later --

"We were about to do a play together, a summer stock tour. And my father died on the day we were going to begin rehearsals. So it felt like this momentous point in my life where I was about to really get to know him as a man, and the universe intervened, and there was this moment where the torch was passed, and I was now the man. So, you know, I was sort of robbed of the opportunity to really get to know my dad."

by Anonymousreply 16June 19, 2016 2:41 PM

I found out James Daly was the gay the day he died because it was reported that he lived with his houseboy or something.

by Anonymousreply 17June 19, 2016 2:41 PM

I would've gotten with him during his "Wings" years, and I would get with him today. He is still looking good, and he's full of character, charisma, and grace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18June 19, 2016 2:43 PM

I think this is the first time someone in the Daly family has spoken openly about James Daly sexuality. Even in all of Tyne Daly interviews about her father, she has never spoken about it,

So I would say this is the first public declaration about it from the Daly family,

by Anonymousreply 19June 19, 2016 2:43 PM

Yes, and the daughters went to Daly's house to throw out his boyfriend pretty much the day after the funeral. This has all been reported many times. If you can't make it past Wikipedia, then I'm guessing you're just not that interested.

by Anonymousreply 20June 19, 2016 2:44 PM

R29 i'm just saying that this is the first time it has been confirmed by the Daly family, I'm sure everyone knew he was gay, just like everyone knows Daniel J. Travanti is gay.

by Anonymousreply 21June 19, 2016 2:46 PM

Very old news. His BF sued to get part of his estate after he died.

by Anonymousreply 22June 19, 2016 2:49 PM

In fact Daniel J. Travanti was James Daly former lover and live-in boyfriend, I wonder if that came up in conversation when years later Tim daly did a guest spot opposite Travanti on Hill Street Blues

by Anonymousreply 23June 19, 2016 2:49 PM

Someone on an old DL thread claimed the family was split on the palimony lawsuit, with Tim and Tyne saying the boyfriend should get some of the estate. Any validity to that?

by Anonymousreply 24June 19, 2016 2:49 PM

R22 if it is such old news why is it not on his wiki page?

by Anonymousreply 25June 19, 2016 2:50 PM

Yes, Tim's story is sweet and heart-breaking, but I wonder where he stood when the family tried to have Daddy's Roommate evicted after Daddy died. It was a shameful story even for its time and, frankly, the Daly family, being in show business (I.e. Not unaware of gay people around them) are not to be excused because "it was a different time"--particularly as Tyne seems airways to married black men and should have understood stigma and prejudice about those you love.

by Anonymousreply 26June 19, 2016 2:50 PM

R24, if you're so concerned about his wikipedia page, then by all means, add the information. I'd be more concerned about your pathological need to rely on Wikipedia as the be all end all of encyclopedic information.

by Anonymousreply 27June 19, 2016 2:52 PM

Just curious, did R22 and R17 not read R4 and R5? It's not like this thread is that long that its so much trouble to read it.

by Anonymousreply 28June 19, 2016 2:52 PM

Sorry, I meant R25

by Anonymousreply 29June 19, 2016 2:53 PM

R28 = Pretzel

by Anonymousreply 30June 19, 2016 2:54 PM

R27 if it is such old news why is James Daly imdb page have any info on this?

My point is not everyone knew, so its not old news for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 31June 19, 2016 2:56 PM

The lawsuit.

In those days, it was called "palimony." Daly left a will and his BF wasn't in it. The BF sued claiming "oral cohabitors agreement." He didn't win.

It made the newspapers, which was quite shocking at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 19, 2016 3:02 PM

Look, the palimony suit made the news for quite a while (you can still find dozens of articles on it from the 1970s in the Google news archives) and anyone with half a brain knew he was gay, especially after the family used his sexual relationship with his boyfriend as a lawsuit defense.

Had there been some unmistakable announcement that he was gay gay gay? No. That doesn't mean it wasn't widely known that he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 33June 19, 2016 3:03 PM

[quote] Had there been some unmistakable announcement that he was gay gay gay? No. That doesn't mean it wasn't widely known that he was gay.

Which is my point. This was the first time it has been confirmed by the Daly family. So let's move on, we can agree to disagree,

by Anonymousreply 34June 19, 2016 3:04 PM

It was confirmed in newspapers and TV that Daly was gay. The family never denied the same sex relationship. Their legal claim was that sexual services didn't constitute the equivalent of marriage or family.

It was the first same sex palimony case ever covered by the media.

by Anonymousreply 35June 19, 2016 3:07 PM

Jesus but this Wikipedia troll is a stupid bint.

by Anonymousreply 36June 19, 2016 3:10 PM

What Pretzel mean, R30?

by Anonymousreply 37June 19, 2016 3:34 PM

R13, I think Tim Daly got every good gene in that entire family. Tyne Daly has looked old since she was 40 and his father aged pretty quickly as well. Tim looks amazing on Secretary.

by Anonymousreply 38June 19, 2016 3:49 PM

R26, they understood golddigger, too. The estate wasn't that large, $1-2 million for the wife and 4 children.

by Anonymousreply 39June 19, 2016 3:52 PM

The ex-wife

by Anonymousreply 40June 19, 2016 3:55 PM

As to the live in boyfriend, live in girlfriends get kicked to the curb by the deceased' family too. I realize they couldn't get married at the time, but just because you are having sex with your roommate doesn't men you get $ when they die.

by Anonymousreply 41June 19, 2016 4:06 PM

/men = mean

by Anonymousreply 42June 19, 2016 4:08 PM

I thought Tyne was Tim's mother.

by Anonymousreply 43June 19, 2016 4:13 PM

So, did Tim catch his father's disease or not?

I know Tyne did

by Anonymousreply 44June 19, 2016 4:38 PM

Tim's actor son Sam is hot and has played gay a couple of times. They have some semi funny videos on YouTube called The Daly Show.

by Anonymousreply 45June 19, 2016 4:41 PM

[quote]It was the first same sex palimony case ever covered by the media.

What about Liberace and Scott Thorson?

by Anonymousreply 46June 19, 2016 4:53 PM

That was 4 years later

by Anonymousreply 47June 19, 2016 4:54 PM

Tim Daly just tweeted

HUMANS!!! Thanks for watching @CBSSunday - and Happy Father’s Day to all of you, too!

by Anonymousreply 48June 19, 2016 5:06 PM

I knew Tyne was his sister but I had no idea their father was an actor.

by Anonymousreply 49June 19, 2016 5:34 PM

If he's not gay in Wikipedia, it's rumor.

by Anonymousreply 50June 19, 2016 8:44 PM

Did he get it on with Robert Reed when Bob played a tranny on "Medical Center?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51June 19, 2016 9:13 PM

R14 And still there are gays who scoff at the right to get married. They'd sooner side with straights: That being gay is just sex and whoring. No love, emotional bonds, relationships like straights can have feelings - as humans do?!

by Anonymousreply 52June 19, 2016 9:24 PM

Tim looks good on Madam Secretary, but I didn’t know his dad was an actor. His mom looks like she could be a lesbian, were James and Tyne two gays married in a "Hollywood marriage" for job reasons?

by Anonymousreply 53June 19, 2016 9:25 PM

Tyne is his sister, not his mother.

by Anonymousreply 54June 19, 2016 9:29 PM

Article about palimony cases which mentions the Daly/Jones lawsuit.

There appear to be a couple questions / mistakes in the article. It reads that they lived in Jones' condominium, but that Daly's family through out his belongings. Does not compute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55June 19, 2016 9:47 PM

Another bit about the case stating the condo belonged to Daly which makes more sense than the bit in the article above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56June 19, 2016 9:51 PM

[quote] What about Liberace and Scott Thorson?

That came later.

by Anonymousreply 57June 20, 2016 12:57 AM

R57 is worse than Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 58June 20, 2016 2:51 AM

No photos of the long time boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 59October 10, 2016 10:51 PM

Fascinating how many big names of yore were gay men. Not that that's a shock - cinema and theater are a natural soil for gay male talent to bloom. What is more shocking is that so few actors of today are gay. AIDS did half the work to root us out, and the greater efficiency of Hollywood's conservative vetting did the other.

by Anonymousreply 60October 10, 2016 10:56 PM

"Tim Daly got every good gene in that entire family. "

AFTER plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 61October 11, 2016 12:51 AM

Son has bdf

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62October 11, 2016 2:45 AM

R10 The family was clearly being disingenuous given that Daly told his wife he was going into treatment to be 'cured' of his homosexuality. And their defense against the father's partner was that he was just a prostitute, but they didn't know the father was gay?? huh??

The kids were able to throw the boyfriend out of the father's condo because the father left everything to the ex-wife and kids, and gay people had ZERO rights back then.

It's really disingenuous for Tim to say he was so desperate to get to know his dad...he couldn't have tried to befriend the guy who was his father's husband, for all intents and purposes?

R41 Fuck you, homophobic cunt. Get off the gay board, bitch.

So did Tim make any effort to ever help his father's partner? I notice he doesn't mention him.

As for Wiki, it also pisses me off that it's so unbelievably homophobic. A lot of people rely on it for info (I know) and they go to lengths to keep Gay-lesbian info off of it., It's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 63October 11, 2016 3:30 AM

I like black men.

by Anonymousreply 64October 11, 2016 3:33 AM

I didn't know that O.J. Simpson's father was gay either! A drag queen too!

by Anonymousreply 65October 11, 2016 3:51 AM

Of course his father is dead

by Anonymousreply 66February 9, 2017 11:23 AM

Tom always pinged to me for some reason. Probably because he's always been ridiculously pretty and kind of soft spoken.

by Anonymousreply 67February 9, 2017 11:35 AM

I remember DL discussing Daly's orientation way back in the early 2000s, and immediately flashed back to his brilliant, heartbreaking performance on [italic]The Twilight Zone[/italic] episode "Last Stop at Willoughby." The boss from Hell, the bitter shrew-wife from Hell, the straitjacket of a life that overwhelmed Daly's character and led him to that fantasy land, Willoughby--where he could be his true self at last, and be welcomed.

What a tragic metaphor for his own life.

(And damn, did he have some gorgeous dick-sucking lips!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 9, 2017 2:07 PM

[quote] Tim said his father stayed away because back then Jim Daly thought he would pass the gay disease to his son, just by being around him,

Too bad he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 69February 9, 2017 2:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!