Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Season 3 of "Succession"

We're nearly a week away, and I'm excited. Apparently this whole season will be about the Roys in trouble and spinning out of control in the wake of Kendall's big press revelation that his father has committed all kinds of improprieties.

New regulars this season include Alexander Skarsgård as "a tech founder and CEO." Adrien Brody as "a billionaire activist investor who becomes involved in the ownership of Waystar," and Hope Davis as the daughter of Sandy Furness, Logan Roy's arch-enemy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573December 13, 2021 4:20 AM

I’ve been binging season 2 on HBO Max and I can’t get the theme song out of my head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 10, 2021 1:13 PM

R1, I love the song! It is my ring tone. I need to re watch in prep for Season 3.

by Anonymousreply 2October 10, 2021 1:43 PM

I’d get on my knees for Cousin Greg (Nicholas Braun). I love that fall, dark and goofy type.

by Anonymousreply 3October 10, 2021 1:55 PM

What’s the date?

by Anonymousreply 4October 10, 2021 1:58 PM

I find Adrian Brodie insufferable and Saarsgard over rated but love the show

by Anonymousreply 5October 10, 2021 3:01 PM

Yeah I was not happy to hear about the cast additions. You know these shows start to fall apart after three or four seasons, so who knows if this is the end of the road or not.

by Anonymousreply 6October 10, 2021 9:08 PM

I just watched the season 2 finale.

Ho lee shit.

by Anonymousreply 7October 11, 2021 12:20 AM

I think the show encourages a negative image of wealthy New Yorkers. We're not like that at all. Well, maybe a little. OK, more than a little.

by Anonymousreply 8October 11, 2021 1:48 AM

Oh yes, it's all about YOU, r8.

by Anonymousreply 9October 11, 2021 1:53 AM

Correction: Skarsgard and Brody will appear this season, but will not be regulars.

by Anonymousreply 10October 11, 2021 1:54 AM

I love how vulgar and low-rent and unprofessional the Roys they are and how their opponents respond in a bemused, quietly disgusted, “real world” way. Kendall is always “let’s fuck”, “you’re the shiz”, “dude” and “fuck off!” and people are “er, ok”.

by Anonymousreply 11October 12, 2021 9:53 AM

So is the gay Asian tech founder off the show now, being replace with Skarsgaard and Brody? I never understood why he was a regular when he was only in like 2 episodes a season yet his name is in the opening credits.

by Anonymousreply 12October 12, 2021 10:05 AM

One thing I find really intriguing about the series is that there's a lot of backstory to the Roy family we don;t know--the characters will refer obliquely to things in the family history, but they've left much yet unclear. for example:

1) Connor's mother, Logan's first wife, has never been named. She seems to have spent some time in a mental hospital, but we don't know if she's still alive or dead, and if she's dead, whether she died while still married to Logan.

2) Logan and Ewan had a sister in Scotland named Rose, and we are told the Roy children know never to bring her up in conversation with their father because he has always blamed himself for her death. What happened?

3) Ewan and Logan grew up very poor in Scotland, and were sent to Quebec as children to be raised by their aunt and abusive uncle. At some point the brothers had a big quarrel, but we don't know over what. Ewan is now very wealthy, but not nearly as wealthy as Logan. Did they go in business together? What did they fight over?

3) Connor has no interest in running Waystar Royco, unlike his three half-siblings, and seems to stqy out entirely of the cometition to succeed his father as its CEO. Why? Is it just because he's more interested in politics?

4). No one in the family or at Waystar seems to know what the backstory is of Marcia, Logan's Lebanese third wife, who seems to have sprung up form nowhere in her thirties. We do know she used to work in publishing and that she has a son named Amir from a previous marriage, but we know nothing else. (The series pretty much forgot about her last season, although she did separate from Logan when she discovered he was carrying on an affair with Rhea Jarrell.)

5) Lady Caroline Collingwood, Logan's second wife, hates him and wants to make his life miserable. She is very distant from all three of their children together, Kendall, Shiv, and Roman. Why did they break up? Why did she have three children with him if she is so uninterested in them?

I don't know that we'll necessarily find the answers to any of these questions this season, or any other season, or if we even should--it's kind of interesting that it's like real life, where a family will make reference to their dark secrets but never fully explain them to outsiders.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2021 8:54 PM

Is this a sci-fi show? It takes place in another dimension or alternate universe or timeline? Trump doesn’t exist and was never President. Their President is someone else. Bernie Sanders doesn’t exist but there’s an Earth 2 version of him. FOX News and CNN don’t exist but there’s RoyCo’s ACN and CDN News. What kind of alternate fantasy reality are they living in? It’s not this Earth.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2021 10:16 PM

[quote]It takes place in another dimension or alternate universe or timeline?

No, it's on HBO.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2021 1:37 AM

Am I the only one who things the acting is overrated? Jeremy Strong and Sarah Snook are very hard to watch because they overdo it in every damn scene.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2021 1:41 AM

I’m also rewatching Season 2 in preparation. I would love a spin-off version about the Pierce clan (“stay and have a drink, you never treat yourself!”).

Another mystery is how the children were raised when little. I just watched the scene of Logan backhanding Roman, and the way the other kids spring into action makes clear this isn’t new.

I love the comparatively uncomplicated relationship between Logan and Cousin Greg. Logan always seems relieved talking to him, like his simple-mindedness makes everything easier.

R16, I couldn’t disagree more, at least about Jeremy Strong.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2021 1:48 AM

when does this air?

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2021 1:53 AM

It airs tomorrow, r18. Does it air at a certain time or does it become available for streaming after midnight? I torrent everything and don't really know how HBO works.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2021 2:05 AM

With HBO, they add it to streaming at the time it’s airing live (so this will probably be up at 9 Eastern?).

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2021 2:08 AM

Yep it premieres and will be on HBOMax at 9pm EST r20.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2021 2:09 AM

I also wish i understood how the children's finances worked. They all seem to be highly wealthy apart from the money their father makes--Connor doesn't even work for Waystar Royco and has that gigantic gorgeous ranch in New Mexico. he bankrupted himself with Willa's play, but re-couped $100 million (are plays on Broadway really THAT expensive to put up?) from his father for agreeing to drop his presidential bid. So how did he get that money in the first place? Logan is still alive, and we know Logan's parents were extremely poor.

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2021 2:44 AM

Because their father is a multibillionaire r22? Of course his kids have been given a lot of money to play with.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2021 2:49 AM

I think the money discussions are unrealistic, to be honest. Logan was content to give his ex wife up to $50 million in exchange for her votes. They were willing to settle with that whistleblower for insane amounts, over $20 million. Logan was determined to buy the Pierce's company for over $20 billion. Even a billionaire would wince at those sums.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2021 2:52 AM

The company would buy the Pierce's company r24, that's very different than Logan personally doing it.

Rupert Murdoch is the main inspiration and is worth 23+ billion, assuming Logan is similar wealthy 20 million is not a lot of money to people that rich.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2021 2:57 AM

when is the premier date?

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2021 3:20 AM

A week from tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2021 3:27 AM

Oops--no sorry: it's actually tomorrow, Oct. 17th.

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2021 3:27 AM

IT's tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2021 4:25 AM

it's tomorrow. I looked it up myself bc you bitches were too slow.

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2021 4:26 AM

Hell I thought it was last week. But yeah it’s tonight.

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2021 10:16 AM

Do I still have time to binge the first two seasons before the premiere?

by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2021 11:07 AM

R32 it’s a good enough show that it’s worth watching the first couple seasons and then catching up on the current season, at least to me.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2021 1:19 PM

No R32 wtf. It will be on in like 12 hours. You should however watch them anyway, and just catch up with season 3 afterward.

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2021 2:24 PM

[quote] I’m also rewatching Season 2 in preparation. I would love a spin-off version about the Pierce clan (“stay and have a drink, you never treat yourself!”).

I love how the Pierces are a different kind of vulgar, rude and phony to the Roys - a preppy, intellectual, Datalounge friendly family - but are just as hideous in their own way.

by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2021 3:54 PM

[quote] are plays on Broadway really THAT expensive to put up

The play is making zero in sales and has a large cast that needs paying weekly. Connor an idiot so I guess he spent $50 million by the time of rehearsals.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2021 4:03 PM

Most shows have a production budget of closer to 10 mil or so, but Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark was the most expensive broadway production at $75 million. Like r36 said, I think the ballooned budget was meant to show how incompetent Connor is.

by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2021 4:09 PM

Connor couldn't even competently produce the RECNY ball in season 1.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2021 4:11 PM

Also, he was staying in a hotel suite. More like a hotel penthouse. For what, 6 months? Put very conservatively at $10k/night? He’s spending millions on accomodation, room service and laundry.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2021 4:39 PM

The one thing Connor has been right about is how awful it is to be served frozen-cold butter with rolls at a dinner.

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2021 4:42 PM

Connor is the most interesting of the kids. The others are a bit shrill and one-note.

by Anonymousreply 41October 17, 2021 4:54 PM

I think Connor is the most one note really r41. He exists to be the butt of jokes about how incompetent and annoying he is.

by Anonymousreply 42October 17, 2021 4:57 PM

Connor is kind of sweet and dim. His siblings and set mother mock him and his whore to his face and he kind of laughs it off.

Even Logan is bemused as opposed to enraged by him, 90% of the time.

Shiv is a bulletproof snide bitch, Roman is a worm and Kendall is incompetent but genuinely thinks he isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 43October 17, 2021 5:26 PM

I did think Rhea was correct that Shiv thinks she’s smarter than she is. That doesn’t mean Shiv isn’t smart or even the smartest of the children, but she overestimates herself.

Of all of them, I would put my money on the team of Gerri and Roman, if they can stick together.

by Anonymousreply 44October 17, 2021 6:48 PM

I quit watching halfway through season 2 when it originally aired. I just couldn't take these people any longer. I tried to start in again today, but I can't make it through the "Argestes" episode. I think I'll skip season 3. The only enjoyable parts are the scenes cousin Greg is in.

by Anonymousreply 45October 17, 2021 8:30 PM

When does this premier?

by Anonymousreply 46October 18, 2021 12:19 AM

The best show on TV in years, I can't wait until it premieres in about an hour! Greg is my favorite, but I LOVE Gerri as well.

by Anonymousreply 47October 18, 2021 12:22 AM

[Quote]The best show on TV in years

Is Better Call Saul back ;) ?

by Anonymousreply 48October 18, 2021 12:43 AM

If Sarah Snook dyed her hair black, she could play Jackie O. She has very compelling eyes.

by Anonymousreply 49October 18, 2021 1:03 AM

Is “action stations” a real thing or did this show make it up?

by Anonymousreply 50October 18, 2021 1:17 AM

Loved that premiere. It moved at a breakneck pace, couldn't believe it was over already. It's been two years but the show didn't miss a beat in picking right up where we left off in Season 2.

So obviously implication is Shiv is going to join Team Kendell, but wonder if they will swerve there.

Also man Kendall seemed on a manic coke high all episode, love how Jemerry Strong plays this character. Have a feeling this season is not going to end well for him.

by Anonymousreply 51October 18, 2021 2:18 AM

I just finished torrenting it and will watch it now!

by Anonymousreply 52October 18, 2021 2:19 AM

Just give me another hour of Roman and Gerri trapped in that hotel room together!

Kendall’s ex needs to kick him out. I want him to succeed (if only for Greg’s sake), but it was delicious watching his ex puncture his high for just a moment.

by Anonymousreply 53October 18, 2021 2:22 AM

Kendall's little quip about "I don't pay you enough to get gender approate razors?" R53. Him reminding her that he finances her lifestyle, the power dynamics at play while she ""let's him" take over her apartment.

by Anonymousreply 54October 18, 2021 2:31 AM

So who is the ex sleeping with that she wouldn’t admit? The guy who tried to do the takeover with Kendall in Season 1?

by Anonymousreply 55October 18, 2021 2:33 AM

Kendall is riding a big enough adrenaline (and maybe actual) high to joke about him killing that guy, but Logan has that death as his trump card. If things get brutal, he can destroy Kendall at any time.

by Anonymousreply 56October 18, 2021 2:47 AM

Are the documents Kendall is referencing the same documents that Greg saved from the bonfire in Season 2?

by Anonymousreply 57October 18, 2021 3:01 AM

[quote] but I LOVE Gerri as well.

Who’s Gerri? The redhead? Don’t they call her Snookie or something or am I thinking Jersey Shore?

by Anonymousreply 58October 18, 2021 3:08 AM

I hated Shiv’s clothing this week—she is off her game!

Sanaa Lathan’s character seems promising, but everytime I see her, all I can think is that she bit Beyoncé.

by Anonymousreply 59October 18, 2021 3:25 AM

“It ain’t Romey time, maybe it’s Croney time.”

I laughed for 10 minutes straight.

by Anonymousreply 60October 18, 2021 3:33 AM

R57 I don’t think he gave allll the papers to Tom in the first place. There were likely some not in the folder marked SECRET.

by Anonymousreply 61October 18, 2021 3:36 AM

[quote] Sanaa Lathan’s character seems promising, but everytime I see her, all I can think is that she bit Beyoncé.

Jeez, they don’t all look alike.

by Anonymousreply 62October 18, 2021 4:06 AM

I think I’m going to shelve it for later. Tired of watching shows where everyone is a POS and ratfuckng each other. After four years of Trump and the GOP, I’m burned out on shitty people.

by Anonymousreply 63October 18, 2021 4:13 AM

R62, you can turn down the outrage. R59 wasn't saying Lathan and Beyonce look alike. They were referring to the rumor that Lathan is the actress who bit Beyonce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64October 18, 2021 4:16 AM

[quote] Kendall's little quip about "I don't pay you enough to get gender approate razors?" [R53]. Him reminding her that he finances her lifestyle, the power dynamics at play while she ""let's him" take over her apartment.

That doesn't wash. i doubt he would have the ability to take that money away from her without suffering enormous public disapproval, especially in this moment of incredible vulnerability in front of the press. The money he gives her has been all worked out in the divorce settlement, and she's still the custodial parent of both his children, who must need quite a bit of child support (given their social position) which Kendall does not dare withhold.

by Anonymousreply 65October 18, 2021 4:18 AM

Who was the woman ("Michelle-Anne") at the White House Gerri was talking to on her cellphone in the limo? Was that supposed iot be the Attorney general, or the WH chief of staff?

by Anonymousreply 66October 18, 2021 4:21 AM

Logan does not have the waiter’s death over Kendall. Logan is an accessory after the fact.

Kendall is spinning out of control.

by Anonymousreply 67October 18, 2021 4:22 AM

It's so weird looking at Fisher Stevens--one of the homeliest men in films--and realizing he was with Michelle Pfeiffer at the height of her career.

by Anonymousreply 68October 18, 2021 4:28 AM

R68, he’s so unusual looking it’s almost a distraction. That’s all I think about when he’s on.

by Anonymousreply 69October 18, 2021 5:05 AM

It was clever of them not to show that Kendall was high for most of the episode, even though it was clear from his actions he was: tipping his hand to Greg and Jess in the limousine that he had killed someone; not letting the two high-powered PR women he had hired to protect him get a word in edgewise about their game plan when they tried to explain it to him; obviously lying to Rava that he ratted on his father for her and the children (you could tell by her pained look that she knew immediately he was lying).

I would bet Naomi Pierce was coked up too, which would explain why she neither apologized for asking Greg to open Rava's prized bottle of wine nor offered to buy her a replacement (which she could easily afford) when Rava became upset.

by Anonymousreply 70October 18, 2021 5:06 AM

[quote]I would bet Naomi Pierce was coked up too, which would explain why she neither apologized for asking Greg to open Rava's prized bottle of wine nor offered to buy her a replacement (which she could easily afford) when Rava became upset.

Which is why he told Rava she's good for him - he loves that Naomi is a functional fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 71October 18, 2021 5:19 AM

I loved the nicknames for the alternate-universe politicians - “the raisin” and “the presidential barnacle.” Exactly how confusing it would be to listen to casual political chatter about Trump if you parachuted in from another world.

by Anonymousreply 72October 18, 2021 12:19 PM

Rava's apartment was identified. It's on the market and you can buy it for 23 million.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73October 18, 2021 2:42 PM

R13, love your post about the little backstory details. Did you know that in Season 2 Shiv said to Logan that Marcia was apparently visiting her daughter (I picture Freida Pinto)?

R44, Shiv is well educated but not “smart” where it counts. Her business instincts aren’t developed at all. I loved her line over the phone to Tom (paraphrasing) “I don’t want to be buried like Miss Havisham under a bonnet of strategems.”

by Anonymousreply 74October 18, 2021 2:50 PM

Clarifying that now we know Marcia has a son (Amir) and an unnamed daughter.

by Anonymousreply 75October 18, 2021 2:56 PM

R66, Michelle-Anne is some sort of liaison officer, not the AG who she mentioned in the phone call.

by Anonymousreply 76October 18, 2021 3:01 PM

Yeah we don't have her exact role, but she is some sort of white house advisor. Logan referred to her as the President's babysitter.

by Anonymousreply 77October 18, 2021 3:06 PM

I love Cherry Jones and how much she obviously loves playing the Pierce matriarch. Like she knows that kind of asshole and knows that they'll watch the show and still not understand that they're assholes.

by Anonymousreply 78October 18, 2021 3:07 PM

I’ve always been intrigued by the blonde lounging in the opening credits. I doubt she’s Lady Caroline, she’s more of a Sharon Stone type. Maybe she’s the mysterious Sally-Anne who’s been mentioned twice so far, first by Roman last season (“Sally-Anne and the summer of the horses”) and by Karl last night (“the black cloud after Sally-Anne”). My casting for her would be Hannah Waddingham.

by Anonymousreply 79October 18, 2021 3:15 PM

R68-Fisher was with Pfeiffer because, as one of his exes told me, "He's got the biggest dick I've ever seen".

by Anonymousreply 80October 18, 2021 3:15 PM

That must be why his neck is so scrawny, it all went south...

by Anonymousreply 81October 18, 2021 3:19 PM

Thank you R13. You confirmed my quesionts about Marcia--I had thought I must have missed some sort of explanation but I guess there was none.

One slight clue is that she is named Marcia and her son is named Amir.

Lebanese Christians generally have Western first names. Amir is an Arabic name, so perhaps his father was Muslim? (They might also just have liked the name or, more likely, the writers were unaware of that nuance.)

Also unclear who raised Shiv, Kendall and Roman and where--were they always at boarding school? Did they live with their father who dispatched a series of nannies to deal with them? There are overtones there of the Trump children who, despite being raised by Ivana and Don Jr having major issues with his father post-divorce, now seem firmly embedded up their father's orange anus and don't seem to have much to do with their mother at all. (Or she keeps the press away because she wants nothing to do with Donald)

Other Random Thoughts:

I like that Shiv is not anorexic like so many actresses on American TV

Kieran Culkin is a pear shaped man--he's got a big butt and thighs

Cousin Gregg still has the best lines "The internet is very big, so I can't get it all down" though at times last night it seemed like he was on a different show.

R73 - that is definitely the interior of the apartment, but I was pretty sure that Kendall got out of the limo on the corner of Lex and 22nd, as that appeared to be Grammercy Park in the background.

by Anonymousreply 82October 18, 2021 3:19 PM

^^Amir is also a common enough name in Israel, for Israeli Jews, but it is not a name commonly found among Christian Arabs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 18, 2021 3:22 PM

I loved Connor turning the Broadway flop into a hate watching experience to get some money back.

by Anonymousreply 84October 18, 2021 3:43 PM

Maybe I missed it. But did they ever explain who the second PR person was who got in the car when Kendall kicked out the first PR person? I saw her hop in very quickly during a long shot, but they didn't seem to say much about her other than throwing her into the fire.

by Anonymousreply 85October 18, 2021 3:49 PM

[quote] Also unclear who raised Shiv, Kendall and Roman and where--were they always at boarding school? Did they live with their father who dispatched a series of nannies to deal with them?

In one of the episodes set at their mother's castle, it was mentioned Roman used to lock Roman up in the dog kennels, so I would assume they spent at least some time there, though she does not seem like the kind of aristocrat at all who would willingly have children underfoot.

The credits suggest the children spent summers on their father's estate, mostly taking tennis lessons, and Roman has made reference to that in the dialogue ("the summer of the white horses," for example, which echoes an image in the credits).

I would assume given Logan's and Lady Caroline's personalities, the children were all sent to boarding school for most of the year. That was probably in the States since none of the children seems to use a British accent even when they're in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 86October 18, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote] Maybe I missed it. But did they ever explain who the second PR person was who got in the car when Kendall kicked out the first PR person? I saw her hop in very quickly during a long shot, but they didn't seem to say much about her other than throwing her into the fire.

The first woman was Carolina, who has been an executive at Waystar-Royco since season 1. The second woman was named Jess.

by Anonymousreply 87October 18, 2021 3:51 PM

The second woman who gets in the car with them is Jess like r87 said. She has been working for Kendall since Season 1, I assume she is his executive assistant.

by Anonymousreply 88October 18, 2021 4:00 PM

The Limo definitely stopped at Park Place and Broadway—opposite City Hall Park.

by Anonymousreply 89October 18, 2021 4:04 PM

R73 R82 From the exterior shot it looked like Kendell was entering the lobby of the Gramercy Hotel when he was going to Rava’s apartment.

by Anonymousreply 90October 18, 2021 4:43 PM

Thanks R90--that was the exact location I was thinking of as well.

by Anonymousreply 91October 18, 2021 4:48 PM

Just re-checked and we were wrong R90 - while the canopy looks like the hotel, the location definitely was Park Place and Broadway -- you can see the Broadway sign in the shot.

by Anonymousreply 92October 18, 2021 4:55 PM

I loved how incredibly tense last night's episode was, and yet it felt a bit different in some ways. It was also a bit jarring to see the kids turn on each other so quickly. Roman's vicious take-down of his brother as they planned their response was so hard to watch considering that in the show's timeline, the yacht scene is meant to be a few days prior, where Roman was visibly shocked and upset that Kendall was selected to take the fall. Even Shiv is put off by it, but of course she quickly reverts to her own interests. Roman seemed a lot sharper in that scene, as well, feeling a bit more secure perhaps with his anointed status as full COO, but then he turns to goo when he calls up his dad to plead for the CEO role - and then quickly tips his hand by suggesting Gerri as the best choice. Kieran Culkin was absolutely excellent in that scene by the way. Logan's curt "Roman's out" when he gets off the phone was kind of heartbreaking.

Also, one thing I loved about last night's episode was the expansion of the characters. We got some choice scenes with tertiary and secondary characters suggesting these were people with their own lives and motivations. Aside from the excellent conversations with Karolina and Kendall, and then Jess as the middleman on the call with Logan, were great, but I adored the scene with Frank and Karl, too. I really hope they bring back Danny Huston as Laird this season.

by Anonymousreply 93October 18, 2021 4:59 PM

To discuss the apartment, tasteful friends. We wouldn’t want to digress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94October 18, 2021 5:00 PM

I hope they let some time pass this season in future episodes so it's not all as compressed time-wise as it seemed for much of last season. I'm always curious what the kids do when they're not huddled in the private jets with their father being in crisis mode.

I've heard we'll see more of Rava and Kendall's children this season, which is good because it's very hard to imagine Kendall as a father and I'd like to see more of how he interacts with them.

by Anonymousreply 95October 18, 2021 5:09 PM

If Greg has also left Waystar-Royco (I assume he is barred from entering the building just as Kendall is), will Kendall pay him a salary? I'm a little confused about his motivations in all this. previously we have sen him willing even to piss off his grandfather and stand to be disinherited by him because of the opportunities he has at W-R, so I'm not entirely clear why he would have given up W-R to help Kendall.

by Anonymousreply 96October 18, 2021 6:23 PM

We still need to see a flashback to Kendall and Greg's trip from the yacht to the press conference. As R96 wrote, it seems surprising that Greg would separate himself from his rich grandfather but not from his cousin?

by Anonymousreply 97October 18, 2021 6:24 PM

I don’t think Greg quite realizes what he’s gotten himself into. Last season he started to get very concerned about being stuck beneath Tom’s thumb (haha) and involved in the Fox News type bullshit. He leveraged the documents to get out of that, but still got pulled in front of Congress and humiliated (I assume, given the start of the testimony we saw) and then took great offense to being considered “Greg sprinkles” as a potential layoff. But he’s cut himself off from his grandfather’s pot of money so he’s probably feeling a bit stressed. He now gets to coast in the high of Kendall’s wake, probably mistaking Kendall’s cocaine/adrenaline high for the certainty of success.

He would be a good candidate for Logan to pick off and bring back inside his camp.

by Anonymousreply 98October 18, 2021 6:45 PM

It’s also unclear whether Greg gave Kendall the cruise documents. In the press conference scene, Greg is shown holding an envelope. Does that mean Greg knew what Kendall was about to pull (suggesting he may have told Kendall about the documents during the plane ride?)?

by Anonymousreply 99October 18, 2021 6:46 PM

R82, I live near Park Place downtown and that’s where the exteriors of Rava’s apartment are shot.

by Anonymousreply 100October 18, 2021 6:53 PM

Oops, sorry, hadn’t read previous posts confirming it’s Park Place.

R97, this show seems to eschew flashbacks, which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 101October 18, 2021 6:55 PM

But hasn't Greg always thought those documents would be his golden ticket, that's why he saved them in the first place. I think he feels he is on the winning team, Kendall will use them to take down Logan and Greg will be handsomely rewarded by the new king.

by Anonymousreply 102October 18, 2021 8:14 PM

Greg can probably get back in Ewan's good graces and reclaim his inheritance by selling that he's helping Kendall reform Waystar.

by Anonymousreply 103October 18, 2021 8:33 PM

R103, reading between the lines in the reviews for the first seven episodes tells me that won’t be happening. In fact it could be the exact opposite.

by Anonymousreply 104October 18, 2021 10:07 PM

I think Michelle-Ann “the pantsuit barnacle” is supposed to be the Kellyanne Conway in this world.

by Anonymousreply 105October 18, 2021 10:43 PM

I’m rewatching, and Kendall’s assistant lists off Ewan, Laird (?), Kendall’s mom, Greg’s mom, and Marsha as people they’ve “got.” But I wonder if that just meant the people Kendall’s aiming to convince over to their side?

by Anonymousreply 106October 18, 2021 10:46 PM

that would make sense r105, especially if she's also the babysitter.

by Anonymousreply 107October 18, 2021 10:47 PM

R105 - if so, that's perfection.

by Anonymousreply 108October 18, 2021 11:15 PM

I've read in reviews that "The Raisin" is a Republican, so that would make sense if Michelle-Anne is Kellyanne. But what a weird name to give her.

by Anonymousreply 109October 18, 2021 11:17 PM

Kendall winning or Logan losing would be contrary to the fabric of the show.

by Anonymousreply 110October 18, 2021 11:18 PM

Or Hope Hicks.

by Anonymousreply 111October 18, 2021 11:23 PM

R111 - Hope Hicks was at least somewhat attractive. "Barnacle" (pantsuit or no) definitely fits KAC in more ways than one!

by Anonymousreply 112October 18, 2021 11:31 PM

What about Sarah Huckabee Sanders? She looks like a barnacle if I ever saw one!

by Anonymousreply 113October 18, 2021 11:38 PM

Michelle-Anne is being played by Linda Emond, an actress in her mid 50s. So no, she won’t be a Kellyanne Conway or Hope Hicks type.

by Anonymousreply 114October 19, 2021 12:54 AM

R113 - oh, yes, another good option. So many barnacles in that former administration!

by Anonymousreply 115October 19, 2021 12:56 AM

Kellyanne Conway is 54. Bring on the barnacle!

by Anonymousreply 116October 19, 2021 12:58 AM

But Linda Emond will look nothing like Kellyanne. Or sound like her. Michelle-Anne will be a Republican but I doubt she’ll be loopy. Going by the phone conversation she’s already being established as somewhat sane and “reasonable.”

by Anonymousreply 117October 19, 2021 1:04 AM

[quote] What about Sarah Huckabee Sanders? She looks like a barnacle if I ever saw one!

More like a manatee.

by Anonymousreply 118October 19, 2021 1:06 AM

Given the way 'Succession" has been written so far, I would doubt EXTREMELY if either Michelle-Anne or any part of "The Raisin's" administration is supposed to evoke Trump. They're not that obvious or ham-handed.

by Anonymousreply 119October 19, 2021 1:07 AM

I don't know why people think there is a one to one comparison. Logan Roy is inspired by Rupert Murdoch but still plenty different and his own character rather than a carbon copy. This show isn't trying to do a simple parody.

by Anonymousreply 120October 19, 2021 1:08 AM

Heh, you beat me to it r119.

by Anonymousreply 121October 19, 2021 1:10 AM

[quote] I don't know why people think there is a one to one comparison.

There are some Dataloungers (not all) who genuinely want and expect everything to be super-obvious and cheesy.

These were the same Dataloungers who kept insisting Meghan Draper on "Mad Men" was going to jump off her penthouse balcony (and then, when she moved to LA, insisted she was instead going to be murdered by the Manson Family)

by Anonymousreply 122October 19, 2021 1:12 AM

If anything, the Connor character evokes Trump, not Washington as portrayed in the show.

by Anonymousreply 123October 19, 2021 1:12 AM

Connor is more like Steve Forbes than Trump; but again, he's not supposed to be just one single person. This isn't a Harold Robbins roman à clef.

by Anonymousreply 124October 19, 2021 1:14 AM

this show is great. It is so brillantanly written, and unbelievably funny.

by Anonymousreply 125October 19, 2021 1:54 AM

Here her gals are hanging out, again. At least they aren't smushed against her chest, like in the OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 19, 2021 2:00 AM

^ Pardon me, I will put Kyrsten Sinema's lumpy boobs in the proper thread.

by Anonymousreply 127October 19, 2021 2:01 AM

Krysten's boobs need to be written into the storyline.

by Anonymousreply 128October 19, 2021 3:13 AM

[quote] this show is great. It is so brillantanly written, and unbelievably funny.

Except nothing of significance ever happens. Blah blah blah CRISIS; resolution, back to status quo.

by Anonymousreply 129October 19, 2021 4:01 AM

Yes but it’s all the little details that make it so funny.

by Anonymousreply 130October 19, 2021 4:27 AM

It could be funny and go somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 131October 19, 2021 4:47 AM

The writers must have a lot of fun finding ways to quickly pass the promise of power around to every single character.

by Anonymousreply 132October 19, 2021 8:38 AM

I honestly won’t be surprised if Connor becomes president (maybe “the raisin” will suddenly step down). This show is a satire. And this will be the closest thing Armstrong will ever do to rub it in our noses that we elected Trump.

by Anonymousreply 133October 19, 2021 1:08 PM

Greg will absolutely have a ding dong with one of Kendall’s PR minions. Her name’s Comfry. Yes, Comfry.

Also the Hope Hicks type character will apparently be Logan’s assistant Kerry, played by theater actress Zoe Winters. She was on a bit in Season 2 but her role has reportedly been substantially beefed up.

by Anonymousreply 134October 19, 2021 1:50 PM

Do you suppose Connor is still holding down Croatia?

by Anonymousreply 135October 19, 2021 6:08 PM

Are there ANY gays in this show?

by Anonymousreply 136October 19, 2021 6:18 PM

Only the Vaulter founder played by Rob Yang in S1 and 2. (He had a boyfriend, too, but I don't think the latter had any lines.)

by Anonymousreply 137October 19, 2021 6:26 PM

What r137 said. There was Lawrence, but even though the pilot set him up to be a decently major character he ended up disappearing and playing a very minor role.

This show is very straight (and very white, though clearly trying to work on the latter with Sanaa Lathan's character)

by Anonymousreply 138October 19, 2021 6:29 PM

Lawrence's boyfriend had a few lines when Lawrence went to dinner with Roman and took his boyfriend along.

by Anonymousreply 139October 19, 2021 6:30 PM

Was Cherry Jones’ character a lesbian, I mean can she even not play one anymore at this point?

by Anonymousreply 140October 19, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote] absolutely have a ding dong

Datalounge. Where I guess it is now always 1887

by Anonymousreply 141October 19, 2021 7:06 PM

Fuck off, R141.

by Anonymousreply 142October 19, 2021 9:47 PM

In the hotel room, Roman says to Geri he’s a “young fighter in his prime—technically raw, but…” Is he saying he’s a virgin?

by Anonymousreply 143October 19, 2021 11:39 PM

R143, remember Grace, the boring blonde in Season 1 who I think was actually Roman’s wife? He no doubt fucked her but maybe she did a number on him sexually. I still think he had a ding dong with his trainer.

Yes, R141, a DING DONG.

by Anonymousreply 144October 19, 2021 11:43 PM

Tabitha flat out said she and Roman had never had sex r144. Grace was the other girlfriend, harder to remember but as far as I can recall we only saw Roman turn her down when she tried to get sexual.

Given what we have seen its not impossible that Roman has never actually penetrated someone with his dick.

by Anonymousreply 145October 19, 2021 11:48 PM

I think he put his winkie in her hoo-hah too R144

So deliciously naughty!!!

by Anonymousreply 146October 19, 2021 11:49 PM

I bet R141 says "died" and "pregnant"!

by Anonymousreply 147October 19, 2021 11:52 PM

How could Roman have lived in LA for several years (he was a film producer) and still be a virgin? Not possible.

by Anonymousreply 148October 19, 2021 11:52 PM

I mean we saw this in all his interactions with girls pre-Gerri r148. He would hang with them but did not want to fuck him. His sexual hang ups were a defining characteristic.

by Anonymousreply 149October 19, 2021 11:55 PM

Because he’s super messed up about sex, and his issues seem to stem from some kind of abusive childhood with the dog kennel issue. It’s not something that changed for him as an adult…

Pop his cherry Geri!!

by Anonymousreply 150October 19, 2021 11:56 PM

Yes but we still have no idea what he was up to in his LA years, R149. I doubt he’d just stay at home watching Nick at Nite.

by Anonymousreply 151October 19, 2021 11:57 PM

Have we ever seen Roman drunk or messed up on drugs? Maybe he does just stay at home watching cartoons, lol.

by Anonymousreply 152October 19, 2021 11:59 PM

If Gerri does succumb to temptation and get with Roman (I’m sorry, “ding-dong”), someone will obviously find out and use it to toss her out as CEO, maybe clearing a path for Logan to come back or even for Roman to step up.

I just want to see Shiv finding out about rock star and mole woman - hahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2021 12:03 AM

Yeah, Conner is holding down the fort at the airport in Croatia. I hope we hear from him again this season.

by Anonymousreply 154October 20, 2021 12:07 AM

[quote] (and very white, though clearly trying to work on the latter with Sanaa Lathan's character)

There's a new character in the last episode played by an East Asian-American actress, Kendall's new high-powered PR woman.

And of course Lawrence was also East Asian. And Marcia and Stewie are Middle Eastern.

by Anonymousreply 155October 20, 2021 12:08 AM

We don’t need more character development via everyone bouncing off everyone else to become CEO.

We need more plot.

by Anonymousreply 156October 20, 2021 12:09 AM

Wait, is everyone inferring Roman was molested as a child?

by Anonymousreply 157October 20, 2021 12:28 AM

Speak just for yourself, r155--this "we" business you're using is complete bullshit.

I'm very happy with the writing on the show, and so are the critics.

by Anonymousreply 158October 20, 2021 12:30 AM

R157, I don’t think he was sexually abused, more like emotionally or physically abused. We’ve heard the story about the dog kennel, seen how the kids’ mom refuses to engage with them, and seen Logan backhanding Roman and knocking his tooth out then pretending it was just a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 159October 20, 2021 12:33 AM

The children all acted when Logan hit Roman that they had seen him do that before.

Another back story question I do;;t understand: Roman's full name is "Romulus" (the other children and the executives call him "Roman" as a nickname, although Logan call him "Romulus" sometimes). Why did he get an odd Latin name when all three of the other children have Celtic names (to go with Logan's Scottish background)? Again, they may never explain this, but it does seem like the sort of thing people do in real life.

by Anonymousreply 160October 20, 2021 12:37 AM

Maybe Roman had a twin who died at birth or when younger who has been alluded to?

by Anonymousreply 161October 20, 2021 12:42 AM

[quote]Wait, is everyone inferring Roman was molested as a child?

There is a segment of fans who believe that Roman's S1 joke about being molested by Connor and his sexual behavior (possibly blackmailing his trainer for handjobs, jacking off while standing in front of the office window, not being able to have sex with Tabitha) is indication that he was sexually abused. They use this as a reason to hate whatever he is doing with Gerri because they feel she is taking advantage of his trauma. Of course these fans who feel this way reside on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 162October 20, 2021 12:47 AM

I think Marcia will show up on Sunday’s episode and will side with Logan with strings attached. This would probably a huge financial incentive and also include provisions for her son Amir and daughter (we don’t know her name yet).

by Anonymousreply 163October 20, 2021 12:51 AM

Is his real name Romulus?

I thought that was just a nickname his father uses--googling it looks like fans are not sure either

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 20, 2021 12:55 AM

Have you all never known someone like Roman, a guy who goes out all the time but never seems to go home with anyone--either he's too drunk or he shuts them down or he does go home but nothing happens.

Provides much gossip for his friend group as to what his deal really is

by Anonymousreply 165October 20, 2021 12:57 AM

I don’t think his birth name is Romulus.

I wonder if we’ll ever see Lady Caroline’s partner Rory.

by Anonymousreply 166October 20, 2021 1:04 AM

I loved the dialogue on Peep Show and The Thick of It, other shows by Jesse Armstrong. Succession is certainly watchable but something about it grates on my nerves. There's a lot of hackneyed delivery. Every character says 'uh huh' in the same way, and Sarah Snook makes extreme facial contortions whenever she delivers a line or reacts to another person. The executives don't seem believable-- Geri does not seem like a killer, Karl and Frank are meek and not at all ruthless. The banker seemed about right. I hope they bring him back. It does keep my interest but it's a very superficial show. What does it say other than "really rich people are unlikable and miserably insecure."

by Anonymousreply 167October 20, 2021 1:05 AM

Thank you, R161, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one who thinks maybe Roman was a twin. However, Logan is, I believe, the only one who calls him Romulus and that’s only when he wants something from him (similar to the way he calls Shiv “Pinky” when he wants to butter her up). We’ll probably never know, since the show holds the backstories very close to its vest.

by Anonymousreply 168October 20, 2021 1:32 AM

I would guess Logan calls Shiv "Pinky" when he wants to endear himself to her because it was her childhood nickname--I assume her mother dressed her up in pink often when Shiv was a child to go with her red hair.

by Anonymousreply 169October 20, 2021 1:52 AM

I think Mark Mylod is referring to Lawrence and Grace here when he says some characters fell by the wayside in Season 1 because they either didn’t have enough meat for the writers to work with:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170October 20, 2021 1:58 AM

r170, that's behind a paywall. Would you please paste-and-cut the article? Many thanks.

by Anonymousreply 171October 20, 2021 2:59 AM

Sorry, R171, I don’t seem to be able to do that on my iPad. Anybody with more tech savvy than I able to do it?

by Anonymousreply 172October 20, 2021 3:29 AM

Shiv got fat.

by Anonymousreply 173October 20, 2021 3:31 AM

The outfit they made Shiv wear the entire episode was particularly unflattering (that shirt especially). I think they wanted to show her looking uncomfortable, going from the boat to a plane to a van to a law firm etc etc all in that same itchy-looking suit.

by Anonymousreply 174October 20, 2021 3:39 AM

None of them is a plausible CEO.

by Anonymousreply 175October 20, 2021 6:11 AM

[quote]None of them is a plausible CEO.

Which is nearly always the case in family companies. Yet one family member succeeds another, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 176October 20, 2021 11:38 AM

I can see Tom and Gerri being named co-CEOs in the final episode. Tom and Gerri-get it? That would be apt.

by Anonymousreply 177October 20, 2021 12:37 PM

R153, Gerri will be CEO in name only, from what Logan was saying when deciding who it would be. Logan will still be pulling the strings.

by Anonymousreply 178October 20, 2021 1:51 PM

Mariska Hargitay was just on with Kelly and Ryan raving about Succession, even praising its background actors.

by Anonymousreply 179October 20, 2021 1:56 PM

And given what a tough critic and arbiter of taste Mariska Hargitay is, R179, that's really an accomplishment if they've won her over.

by Anonymousreply 180October 20, 2021 1:57 PM

That scene with Kendall and the PR women was soooooooo cringey. He puts out such a Don Jr. energy sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 181October 20, 2021 2:00 PM

[quote] such a Don Jr. energy

You mean he's obviously coked up?

by Anonymousreply 182October 20, 2021 2:05 PM

Greta Lee would have been so much better for the PR lady Berry.

by Anonymousreply 183October 20, 2021 2:35 PM

Shiv seems to have five words in her vocabulary:

Fuck Yeah No Ok! Uhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 184October 20, 2021 4:39 PM

Here’s Hargitay, Ryan and Kelly kvelling over Succession:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 20, 2021 5:39 PM

It’s in the first few minutes, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 186October 20, 2021 5:40 PM

R150 - yes, please! I'd fuck Roman senseless on the regular if I were her and had the opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 187October 20, 2021 6:59 PM

You know Roman is just one good fuck away from being an absolute sex pig. Sign me up.

by Anonymousreply 188October 20, 2021 7:02 PM

Culkin and Skarsgard have the same overbite. Just sayin’.

by Anonymousreply 189October 20, 2021 8:25 PM

One of the PR ladies, R181, hosts a podcast I listen to, called The Red Scare podcast. She also directed a horror movie about Jeffrey Epstein truthers.

by Anonymousreply 190October 20, 2021 8:39 PM

R188 Well he IS a slime puppy

by Anonymousreply 191October 20, 2021 8:40 PM

The woman in the car (sorry, can't remember her character's name) with Kendall and Greg looks like/resembles Zoe Kravitz.

by Anonymousreply 192October 22, 2021 1:09 PM

I just started watching this show; I couldn't watch it during the last administration due to the resemblance of this family to He Who Cannot Be Named and his devil spawn. Now that I'm actually watching the show, this bunch isn't as Trump-like as I thought. Logan is way too smart & dignified compared to Trump. And it is very funny - that scene with Shiv & Roman fighting the hospital meeting room and Tom running out was hysterical.

So what's the deal with the step-mother? Obviously her role is Logan's protector/guard dog against his children, but she seems to have designs of her own, particularly given Logan's efforts in the first episode to give her all this power upon his death.

by Anonymousreply 193October 22, 2021 1:22 PM

They are modeled on the Murdochs not the Trumps R193

Though Kendall definitely has Junior Mint vibes

by Anonymousreply 194October 22, 2021 1:52 PM

Kendall has a lot in common with both James and Lachlan Murdoch. Definitely a blend of those two. He isn't dumb enough to be a Trump kid.

by Anonymousreply 195October 22, 2021 2:39 PM

The stepmother is a great character whose motivations remain unknown but she practically disappeared in the second season, her story took a backseat to all the other drama. She’s mentioned every so often so I hope they bring her back. At the moment I think she and Logan are “separated “.

by Anonymousreply 196October 22, 2021 2:55 PM

I loved when the stepmom asked Jane whether she was regularly tested for STDs.

by Anonymousreply 197October 22, 2021 2:57 PM

The scene on the boat at the end of the second season where they all started throwing first themselves and then each other under the bus was some of the best writing and acting since The Sopranos at its peak. It all started out so friendly and businesslike and then, almost imperceptibly, it slid into carnage.

by Anonymousreply 198October 22, 2021 3:40 PM

"Jane"?

by Anonymousreply 199October 22, 2021 3:54 PM

[quote] It all started out so friendly and businesslike and then, almost imperceptibly, it slid into carnage.

I loved Karl's indignation. "Roman, come on! We're real people here!"

Also, the stepmother is Marcia (and "Jane" is Rhea Jarrell), and I do hope she appears again this season because I lover her. Even though she was scaled back in S2 she still had some standout moments, like in Tern Haven. Speaking of another taut and amazing scene, I loved the dinner with the Pierces. The conversation was so realistic and vivid.

by Anonymousreply 200October 22, 2021 5:29 PM

Marcia will definitely be in the next two episodes, according to imdb. (They don't have information about the cast beyond the next two episodes.)

by Anonymousreply 201October 22, 2021 5:36 PM

I just don’t buy anyone on this show as people who even know each other, let alone family.

by Anonymousreply 202October 22, 2021 6:50 PM

Someone in the know has told me Marcia’s in the next two episodes and in the one airing a week from Sunday her terms re : Logan are highly amusing.

by Anonymousreply 203October 22, 2021 9:05 PM

There’s another gay character besides Lawrence that everyone seemingly forgot, that is Greg’s father!

Also, many people, either characters or audience as someone upthread, thought Rhea had an affair with Logan, but I happened to read a Holly Hunter interview in which she said that was exactly the point they wanted to make, that people just assumed she had slept with Logan, even though there was probably nothing between them.

by Anonymousreply 204October 23, 2021 5:53 PM

Wait--Greg's father is gay? When did we find that out?

by Anonymousreply 205October 23, 2021 6:04 PM

Greg's father's homosexuality is mentioned in passing by Logan's second wife in season 1.

by Anonymousreply 206October 23, 2021 6:10 PM

I believe she said something like he fucked every man in Sausalito. (If you're looking for the episode I think she said it at the pre-wedding party for Shiv and Tom.)

by Anonymousreply 207October 23, 2021 6:32 PM

We haven’t met Cousin Greg’s father though, just his grandfather.

I sure thought Rhea slept with Logan.

by Anonymousreply 208October 23, 2021 8:00 PM

It’s a good point that that was never actually confirmed, although Marcia’s comment to Rhea to get an STD check might have been confirmation by Rhea not denying it. The implication of Rhea throwing Logan that party is they were intimately involved.

by Anonymousreply 209October 23, 2021 8:04 PM

I think one of the kids said that daddy was mostly into blowjobs so maybe that was the extent of it. And yes, unlike a former president, I consider that to be sexual activity.

by Anonymousreply 210October 23, 2021 10:05 PM

Marcia returns tonight and I’m way too excited about that.

Kieran Culkin’s hosting SNL on Nov 6th. I guess there will be a Succession spoof on it.

by Anonymousreply 211October 24, 2021 1:59 PM

I haven’t watched SNL in years, but I actually might tune in for that. I wonder if his brother will show up in a cameo?

by Anonymousreply 212October 24, 2021 2:00 PM

Not surprising that R1 and R2 find the “theme song” so catchy and irresistible. It’s been around for quite awhile: note for note, it’s the closing theme of the exposition of the first movement of Beethoven’s Pathetique piano sonata. Yes, it’s very striking but poor old Ludwig should be given a little credit for it.

by Anonymousreply 213October 24, 2021 2:15 PM

It’s the discordant notes that are so striking.

by Anonymousreply 214October 24, 2021 3:51 PM

My one trouble with the show is believing that the other siblings put up with Roman's consistently cruel mouthiness. I can see why the higher-ups at Logan's company have to put up with it, but it seems unbelievable to me the siblings would take it given that he has nothing over him.

Why would Shiv put up with Roman saying those nasty mocking things he said to her on the phone last week about not getting the temporary CEO position? I'm from an extended family where there was overt cruel teasing like that in adolescence, but it had to stop (at least at the overt level) at a certain age--people either confronted people directly about it and shamed them into stopping, or they stopped speaking to them altogether. Adults usually don't put up with that kind of shit unless they are forced to (as Frank and Tom would be from Roman, since he could get them fired), but in my experience it's rare to have to put up with it from a sibling beyond a certain age. It's not that the overt competitive mockery goes away, but it goes "underground"--it's less overt.

by Anonymousreply 215October 24, 2021 3:53 PM

Because they pity Roman. Of the three kids, he’s viewed as the runt and the loser, so his insults don’t sting that much.

by Anonymousreply 216October 24, 2021 3:54 PM

Check out Nicholas Braun on SNL last night during the always brilliant "What's Up With That"

(Stay to the very end to catch him dancing)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217October 24, 2021 4:11 PM

Roman is the Succession character I would most like to punch in the face (Kendall is No 2). I don't see why ANYone on the show puts up with him. To his (and KCulkin's) credit, he does get 90% of the good laugh lines. And whatever weirdo sex thing he's got going on with Gerri makes my flesh crawl. Yet the show wouldn't be nearly as good without him, so there's that. I hope he gets a spectacularly awful comeuppance, though.

by Anonymousreply 218October 24, 2021 8:39 PM

I've taken to talking like Shiv and Roman. "Uhhhhh.....yep?"

by Anonymousreply 219October 24, 2021 9:14 PM

All those homely children in the intro. The girl doesn't look like Shiv at all.

by Anonymousreply 220October 24, 2021 9:23 PM

[quote]Roman is the Succession character I would most like to punch in the face

I think Roman is the most self-aware - if he was oblivious, he'd be insufferable, but I think that's what makes him - not necessarily likable, but human, maybe - is that he's aware of what a waste he is, how he was born on third base, that he has no real redeeming qualities, but he's going to cash in anyway. Shiv thinks her shit doesn't stink & Kendall...well, where do you begin? But Roman is a genuinely damaged & sad guy and he knows it.

by Anonymousreply 221October 24, 2021 11:23 PM

It really does make you wonder what could possibly make for a satisfying conclusion to this series. Logan's death, definitely. The more humiliating, the better. But realistically, one of those three kids has to come out ahead. And it wouldn’t be realistic for any of them to end up in public housing or witness protection living the Henry Hill schnook lifestyle. I guess my best hope is for them all to be deeply, deeply unhappy and broken in the end. But even that feels like a reach.

by Anonymousreply 222October 24, 2021 11:38 PM

Cousin Greg. He’ll beat out the sibs. It will take a couple seasons to set it up though.

by Anonymousreply 223October 25, 2021 12:59 AM

I loved the scene with Marcia telling Hugo her terms (I also loved how beautifully she was put together to come back to Logan).

I liked how the children all turned on each other at the end and said unforgivable things to each other. it's interesting how Roman made it all up in the end to the Shiv by paying her in the only currency they care about: putting in a good word with their dad.

Why did Logan turn down Gerri's extended hand in front of the news cameras?

by Anonymousreply 224October 25, 2021 2:07 AM

^^Oh wait, never mind--I posted that before the show's final lines. Logan's going to turn Gerri into the fall guy.

by Anonymousreply 225October 25, 2021 2:08 AM

I was excited to see Peter Reinart! Poor Greg is going to get run over and sliced into pieces like a girl tied to the train tracks, though.

by Anonymousreply 226October 25, 2021 2:34 AM

The scene when Ken, Shiv, and Roman finally reunite in Rava’s living room was the first time I bought the three of them as siblings. Underlying all the tension and mess, they had that vibe of happiness to be together in the same room that you get with grown-up siblings.

I don’t know if Kendall is on coke or what, but he sounded like a glitching imitation Obama in his pitches to the siblings of what the company could be. He tried to hurt and insult each of them when they walked out, and not one of them turned to hurt him back, which they could have—they just wanted to get away from him.

by Anonymousreply 227October 25, 2021 2:39 AM

My line of the night goes to Roman's joke about Kendall managing to remember the name of one of his kids.

Of course the kids don't have the balls to publicly stand against their father. Logan can treat them like crap but they all still want his approval.

by Anonymousreply 228October 25, 2021 2:41 AM

Kendall contributed to his own downfall here. He started crumbling like sand as soon as Con opted out. His anger showed how weak his position actually is.

by Anonymousreply 229October 25, 2021 2:48 AM

[Quote]The scene when Ken, Shiv, and Roman finally reunite in Rava’s living room was the first time I bought the three of them as siblings

How close would they have even been growing up? I imagine there has always been some distance between them compared to "normal siblings", probably each was primarily raised by their own nanny.

by Anonymousreply 230October 25, 2021 2:51 AM

By the end of the season, Roman and Gerri will have consummated their affair (ending Roman’s virginity streak), Gerri will let her guard down against her own judgment, Shiv will find out somehow and tell Logan, and Logan will manipulate and force Roman to be the one who pulls the trigger that makes Gerri the fall woman for the company dirt. It will be the Roman version of Kendall’s bargain with the devil at the end of season 1.

by Anonymousreply 231October 25, 2021 3:11 AM

There’s too much dialogue using buzz words with nothing really being said. All we hear about is who will be the one to take over yet nothing changes. Is this going to be another season of the same? Sorry, but I just don’t get the hype, yet I keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 232October 25, 2021 3:50 AM

It's only your teats that give you any value!

Just cause you got them big udders don't mean you're somethin' special!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233October 25, 2021 4:04 AM

Jess Jordan, Kendall’s majordomo, seems like the most competent person on the show. She could’ve been the figurehead CEO in Kendall’s scheme!

by Anonymousreply 234October 25, 2021 4:14 AM

[quote]I don’t know if Kendall is on coke or what, but he sounded like a glitching imitation Obama in his pitches to the siblings of what the company could be.

I'm pretty sure he's been coked up for all of the last two episodes. He was clearly high when he was talking to the new PR experts, not letting them get a word in edgewise; and of course he's now with Naomi Pierce, who has previously enjoyed doing coke with him

by Anonymousreply 235October 25, 2021 4:36 AM

Siobhan is, as Rhea said, not as smart as she thinks, since she doesn’t seem to realize that her father is using her.

by Anonymousreply 236October 25, 2021 4:40 AM

Is it just me or has Jeremy Strong spent a lot of time working out since the last season? Despite the dead eyes he affects for his character, he was looking HOT in that crisp white shirt and those black pants. He looked even much better than he did even in season 2 when we saw him shirtless at the Pierce family estate.

by Anonymousreply 237October 25, 2021 4:52 AM

Nicholas Braun is so convincing playing stupid that I’m not sure whether he’s a great actor or really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 238October 25, 2021 4:57 AM

The funniest line was when Roman expressed surprise Kendall actually knew his daughter's name.

Where are Kendall's kids, and where was Rava tonight?

by Anonymousreply 239October 25, 2021 5:01 AM

Will the whole season affect this feeling as if it’s all taking place in real time and only last a few days story wise line?

by Anonymousreply 240October 25, 2021 7:28 AM

Interesting dissection of the box of doughnuts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241October 25, 2021 7:46 AM

[quote] And whatever weirdo sex thing he's got going on with Gerri makes my flesh crawl

Unsurprisingly, the women of Media Twitter - ie, white, verbal, middle-aged, chunky, Gerri-lookalikes - are simply LIVING for this subplot

by Anonymousreply 242October 25, 2021 9:19 AM

Here's my prediction: for all this fighting between the siblings, Marcia pushes Logan to put her son in charge as the new face of WR using the accident as leverage; Logan balks at this and cuts off both of them only to have Marcia leak the story, putting Logan in the dubious position of siding with Kendall (and presumably his other kids, who hate Marcia) since he's at the very least complicit by covering up a crime. The one person who can actually connect Kendall to the waiter is...Greg, making him even more central to things.

I have a feeling Tom is going to be sorry he was mean to Greg

by Anonymousreply 243October 25, 2021 9:37 AM

And yet Greg deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 244October 25, 2021 9:42 AM

To destroy their father is to destroy themselves. Their power is entirely derivative. The rest of the world is not going to turn to them to run his company If he is destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 245October 25, 2021 9:54 AM

^ Gerri was right about that.

by Anonymousreply 246October 25, 2021 9:56 AM

Marcia know about Kendall and the cater-waiter? I don’t remember that bit.

by Anonymousreply 247October 25, 2021 10:39 AM

[quote] There’s too much dialogue using buzz words with nothing really being said. All we hear about is who will be the one to take over yet nothing changes. Is this going to be another season of the same? Sorry, but I just don’t get the hype, yet I keep watching.

I could have written this comment. Jesse Armstrong's other two shows, Peep Show and the Thick of It, had brilliant dialogue. There's a lot being said in Succession but none of it is as clever as the actors delivering it seem to think it is.

by Anonymousreply 248October 25, 2021 10:48 AM

[quote] Marcia know about Kendall and the cater-waiter? I don’t remember that bit.

She and her son were in the room when Kendall met with his dad and Colin at the wedding to discuss the cleanup, if I recall correctly. Her son saw Kendall with the waiter.

by Anonymousreply 249October 25, 2021 10:51 AM

No, Marcia’s son saw Kendall return to the accomodation soaking wet.

As Logan implied to Marcia, they are all accessories after the fact so what they can do with the information is limited.

I assume when Logan is on his death bed and Kendall/Marcia’s son has finally wrested away control of the company, he’ll release the information as a fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 250October 25, 2021 11:02 AM

[quote]No, Marcia’s son saw Kendall return to the accomodation soaking wet.

He said that, but it was raining & given what Kendall was up to, he could reasonably make the argument he went out for a walk due to the stress of it all. But Greg is the only one that could connect why Kendall to the waiter.

Maybe I'm wrong, but given how she keeps pushing her son forward & what a force she is, I just think she's back to try & put Kendall & Logan into a box. And it would be an ironic way to the end the season -joining forces to fight against Marcia rather than fighting each other

by Anonymousreply 251October 25, 2021 11:07 AM

Nope, what connected Kendall to the waiter are Logan’s security finding Kendall’s room key next to the bridge where they crashed.

by Anonymousreply 252October 25, 2021 11:13 AM

Shiv will probably prove to be incompetent at her new position.

by Anonymousreply 253October 25, 2021 3:17 PM

I was fascinated that yet again Marcia did not give her daughter a name (though she referred to her). The writers are clearly doing this on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 254October 25, 2021 3:33 PM

R254, it would really make the story interesting if we find out Jess Jordan is Marcia's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 255October 25, 2021 3:49 PM

That would be a bad soap opera plot twist r255.

Marcia's daughter hasn't been nameed just like Gerri's daughters haven't been named. They haven't been introduced as characters on the show so its irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 256October 25, 2021 3:58 PM

Nothing on Succession is ever irrelevant. Every detail is a cog in the machine.

by Anonymousreply 257October 25, 2021 4:11 PM

Where the fuck did they dig up Peter Riegert? I turned to my husband and said, "If that's Peter Riegert, we'll all be dead soon."

by Anonymousreply 258October 25, 2021 4:12 PM

A machine that goes nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 259October 25, 2021 4:13 PM

Marcia’s daughter wasn’t at the Roys’ Thanksgiving dinner in Season 1. She’s a bad mother.

by Anonymousreply 260October 25, 2021 4:25 PM

Did anyone else catch that when Logan calls Shiv, a photo of Sadam Hussein pops up on her phone? LOL.

by Anonymousreply 261October 25, 2021 4:26 PM

All of Kendall's meaningless corp-speak makes me both cringe and laugh. How many leadership conferences has he sat through, furiously writing down empty buzzwords?

by Anonymousreply 262October 25, 2021 4:29 PM

You know, I just finished watching the first 5 episodes of Season 1. Everyone had said I must watch it. I'm trying. But in all honestly, I find some of the characters, like Kendall's sister annoying, and in general, I just don't care about these people. I really don't. They don't shock or amuse me at all. I'm going to try to get though the rest of Season 1, but I really don't think I can do this.

by Anonymousreply 263October 25, 2021 4:41 PM

The first half of season 1 is pretty slow-going. I thought the show started to find itself in the latter half of season 1 and really hit its stride in the third episode of season 2.

(I am an enormous fan of the show and have probably seen each episode at least four or five times!)

by Anonymousreply 264October 25, 2021 4:58 PM

[quote]Why would Shiv put up with Roman saying those nasty mocking things he said to her on the phone last week about not getting the temporary CEO position? I'm from an extended family where there was overt cruel teasing like that in adolescence, but it had to stop (at least at the overt level) at a certain age--people either confronted people directly about it and shamed them into stopping, or they stopped speaking to them altogether. Adults usually don't put up with that kind of shit unless they are forced to (as Frank and Tom would be from Roman, since he could get them fired), but in my experience it's rare to have to put up with it from a sibling beyond a certain age. It's not that the overt competitive mockery goes away, but it goes "underground"--it's less overt.

I think she puts up with it because is just as snide and obnoxious as Roman; it’s just not her sole mode of communicating. She’s a lot more vain, where as he knows what he is. People who are 24/7 trolls like Roman all hate themselves. Connor isn’t cruel like them, he’s just genuinely dim. Kendall can be cruel, usually when he’s angry or high.

Also isn’t it interesting that Shiv is the Roy it’s ok to like, the liberal conscience of the family, but her values are apparent absolutely nowhere in her behaviour.

Agree with the person upthread who says Roman will be the undoing of Gerri.

Also r255, it’s not Melrose Place.

by Anonymousreply 265October 25, 2021 5:12 PM

Damn right this is no Melrose Place, they’d eat Amanda and Alison alive if they showed up in that board room!

by Anonymousreply 266October 25, 2021 5:19 PM

I think S1hit its stride with the Waystar vote episode-the sixth one?

We still have the Waystar Shareholders Meeting to look forward to.

by Anonymousreply 267October 25, 2021 5:23 PM

Just found out there’s a real company called Waystar which is probably why they added the hyphenated “Royco”

by Anonymousreply 268October 25, 2021 5:31 PM

If Logan were to cut any of the children off, they'd all still be wealthy, no? Maybe not Connor since he lives so high on the hog, but the others don;t seem to spend as much as he does.

Greg would be broke if they fired him though.

by Anonymousreply 269October 25, 2021 6:55 PM

I realize it's just a TV show, but it makes me wonder why anyone would put up with this abuse; as wacko as he is, I think Connor has the right idea by living out in the desert & mostly staying out of the family machinations. Granted, he does this because he's a dimwit, but still...

by Anonymousreply 270October 25, 2021 7:07 PM

I bet Shiv gets roped into managing Connor’s presidential campaign.

by Anonymousreply 271October 25, 2021 7:10 PM

How did Shiv get a nickname from a weapon made by prisoners out of ordinary objects, there’s got to be a story behind that which I missed?

by Anonymousreply 272October 25, 2021 7:48 PM

Her real name is Siobhan - pronounced “Shivawn”.

by Anonymousreply 273October 25, 2021 8:00 PM

But is Shiv a standard Irish nickname for that name?

by Anonymousreply 274October 25, 2021 9:02 PM

I don’t think the people running this show have any fucking idea where it’s going. They are making it up as they go along.

It’s an interesting show that holds your attention but let’s stop pretending like this is high art. It’s an ad libbed soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 275October 25, 2021 9:04 PM

Well duh. That's how TV shows work, you are always making it up as you go along r275. Even if you have a good idea of where you want the story to go it changes as as the writers watch things play out.

by Anonymousreply 276October 25, 2021 9:30 PM

Aside from the awesome production value of the show, the writers are doing a good job of making Rich People Do Things compelling TV. If you ever watched Billions on Showtime, you know that the problems of rich white people running big companies & shitting all over everyone gets old fast. The "King Lear meets Rupert Murdoch" angle is actually pretty interesting viewing.

by Anonymousreply 277October 25, 2021 9:43 PM

I think the reason Succession works on such a higher level than Billions is because it has a family at its center and Billions doesn’t have a family in it at all.

by Anonymousreply 278October 25, 2021 10:37 PM

[quote]I think S1hit its stride with the Waystar vote episode-the sixth one?

I agree with this. It was the gamechanger for me. Hang in there, R263!

by Anonymousreply 279October 25, 2021 11:36 PM

[quote] But is Shiv a standard Irish nickname for that name?

Why would it matter? Her father is Scottish, not Irish; and she was raised in the UK and the US, not Ireland.

by Anonymousreply 280October 26, 2021 3:31 AM

I assumed the writers named her Siobhan so the Shiv nickname could be used.

Her mother is an aristocrat. And they tend to consider the Irish as trash.

Rupert Murdoch gave his children Scottish names.

by Anonymousreply 281October 26, 2021 3:50 AM

R255 = Ryan Murphy. Who also thinks the story would be made really interesting if Roman is revealed as intersex and was raped by Connor as a child; also that Shiv is the daughter of Uncle Euan.

by Anonymousreply 282October 26, 2021 6:56 AM

To our pre-episode question, Marcia said to Hugh (?) about Rhea something like, “it’s not my fault if she couldn’t finish him.” So maybe Rhea and Logan didn’t consummate the affair.

by Anonymousreply 283October 26, 2021 9:58 AM

I wonder if step monster Marcia mirrors Wendy Deng. By all accounts, Murdoch's kids hated her and was glad when she was gone

by Anonymousreply 284October 26, 2021 10:03 AM

When I was a kid, I knew a black girl named Siobhan. It was many years until I learned it was an Irish/Celtic name.

by Anonymousreply 285October 26, 2021 10:25 AM

And they were all really happy when he married Jerry.

by Anonymousreply 286October 26, 2021 10:43 AM

R242 Ha, verbal and chunky, so true.

by Anonymousreply 287October 26, 2021 12:10 PM

R255, here. I didn't mean to imply or make Succession into a soap opera. I just meant it would be interesting since Jess is working for Kendall.

Marcia would just be making sure Jess is taken care of because Logan is out to destroy Logan. No matter what happens, with Marcia making sure her daughter is taken care of, she would not go down with Kendall. That was all. We know that Amir and Marcia's daughter are not Logan's by birth and I'm sure Logan has met both kids.

by Anonymousreply 288October 26, 2021 12:18 PM

From a story standpoint, I think Marcia's kids are a device to get Connor, Kendall, Shiv & Roman to work together against a common enemy rather than just tear each other apart. Logan might be powerless to get in the middle since Marcia has his balls in her purse

by Anonymousreply 289October 26, 2021 12:27 PM

Logan shouldn’t have messed with Marcia. She’s the tender trap.

by Anonymousreply 290October 26, 2021 1:34 PM

I want to see them do a musical episode to the show based on “Fiddler on the Roof,” where Logan has a fever dream trying to match them all up and marry them off.

by Anonymousreply 291October 26, 2021 3:01 PM

If you've watched interview with Nicholas Braun r238 there is not much difference between his real personality and Greg's.

by Anonymousreply 292October 26, 2021 3:40 PM

I realize it's the whole point of the show, it's called Succession after all, but all the kid's allegiance flip flopping, second guessing, back and forth nonsense is getting tedious. And for fucks sake I want to smother Roman with a pillow. He might possibly be the most annoying character on TV.

by Anonymousreply 293October 26, 2021 3:50 PM

Then stop watching, r293. No one is forcing you.

by Anonymousreply 294October 26, 2021 3:56 PM

The plot of this episode hinging on those "fucking relevant donuts" was a masterstroke.

On a macro-level, I love that NONE of these kids could actually run the company. They’re all, essentially, incompetent. It makes perfect sense that Logan's raging narcissism would ensure that his children would never be given the chance to actually obtain the tools to replace him.

by Anonymousreply 295October 26, 2021 3:56 PM

It will be interesting to see if Logan really lets Shiv be president for a while (as he promised at the end of the last week's episode), since we have no idea if she can run the company or not. Unlike Kendall, who's a depressed junkie, and Roman, who's immature and sadistic, she's much more functional as a human being; and also unlike the two of them she's untried in the job, and so could potentially run it.

I'm not entirely clear in corporations what's the difference between the CEO and the president: I know only that the CEO outranks the president. Would anyone care to explain, please?

by Anonymousreply 296October 26, 2021 4:00 PM

If I were entirely dependent on Daddy for my lavish lifestyle, I’d be terrified by a that box of donuts.

by Anonymousreply 297October 26, 2021 4:45 PM

The way Tom and Kendall speak to and relate to Greg is all the gay I need on tis show.

Tom getting upset with Greg then quickly retracting, saying everything will be OK and it's time to put on the Stetson and ride 'em high Cowboy. Bet that's a visual Tom enjoys.

And Kendall's tenderness with Greg, the way he pulls him aside and lowers his voice to bedroom levels as he assures Greg he'll hire him a lawyer, and seemingly genuinely expresses concern that he's OK.

Somebody must have given Greg a bottle of Creed Aventus for Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 298October 26, 2021 4:48 PM

R298 after that scene I had to google how tall Nicholas Braun is.

by Anonymousreply 299October 26, 2021 6:24 PM

Maybe Marcia or Amir will take over the company in the end.

by Anonymousreply 300October 26, 2021 6:45 PM

Or the unnamed daughter.

I still want it to be Tom and Gerri, for shits and giggles. After Tom betrays Shiv and Gerri betrays Roman.

by Anonymousreply 301October 26, 2021 7:17 PM

My GOD last night's episode was good.

It's like watching a play.

And the music is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 302October 26, 2021 10:31 PM

I didn’t understand the last bit in the car between Logan and Shiv. He calls her Pinky so he’s feeling benevolent. Then he says she’d be President (of what?) She says “mascot?”. Then he starts talking about “someone” who is biologically armored up and that person is Gerri. I read what you’ve posted here about making Gerri the fall guy and Roman being the one to do it and while that sounds plausible, I don’t see how you get that from the car conversation.

Anyway, I’d hate to see Gerri go.

by Anonymousreply 303October 26, 2021 10:31 PM

R303 - I had to rewind that back. It sounded like he wants Shiv to watch and observe everything that goes down so she is ready to take over once they ultimately make Gerri the scapegoat. That was my read on it. Whether or not he meant it - that's another story.

by Anonymousreply 304October 26, 2021 10:36 PM

I really wanna fuck cousin Greg. None of the other male characters do it for me. Except the stoner waiter dude that Kendall killed that night. He was kinda hot.

by Anonymousreply 305October 26, 2021 10:39 PM

Also, Logan ignoring Gerri’s outstretched hand when he got off the plane. That seems significant.

He hugged Roman, then turfed Tom out of the back seat next to Shiv so he keeping his idiot kids close.

by Anonymousreply 306October 26, 2021 10:49 PM

R215 - just finished the second ep of Season 3, and they all get some bitter and cruel digs in at each other. I've seen it before in other families too. I think the high stakes money (inheritance? control of the family business?) is adding extra motivation to take each other down if not literally, then with words.

by Anonymousreply 307October 26, 2021 10:49 PM

R226 - I think Greg is putting on his naive and stupid act for the most part so that people brush him off as the village idot of the family. They'll reveal anything in front of him because they look down on him. That's his ace.

by Anonymousreply 308October 26, 2021 10:53 PM

Jesse Armstrong is really a talent. His writing is incredible.

by Anonymousreply 309October 26, 2021 10:54 PM

R303 He said something like Shiv would be the President and Gerri would be her human hazmat suit to wade through the nuclear waste. I think he meant they will use Gerri to take the fall for whatever scandal / legal trouble Ken is drumming up (cruises, etc), then when Gerri is destroyed, Shiv can emerge with clean hands the run the company.

The big questions there are - was he lying to Shiv about that plan, like he’s lied to her repeatedly? Wouldn’t Gerri figure this out, and have her own cards to play? How will Gerri’s relationship with Roman play into this?

His snub of Gerri on the tarmac supports this if you think he wanted to avoid being photographed shaking hands with her (he had called photographers).

by Anonymousreply 310October 26, 2021 10:54 PM

The scenes between the 4 siblings this past episode was like watching theater. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 311October 26, 2021 11:02 PM

R311 - agree. It was a riveting back and forth, around and around. I hate having to wait a week until the next episode, but that works better for this discussion thread.

by Anonymousreply 312October 26, 2021 11:07 PM

Well, it’s the best show since “House of Cards.” I binged all episodes in just a week, and I’m not the typical pathetic “binge watcher.”

by Anonymousreply 313October 26, 2021 11:11 PM

[quote]Then he says she’d be President (of what?)

OF AFGHANISTAN, ROSE!

by Anonymousreply 314October 26, 2021 11:14 PM

I just don't believe he'll ever actually make Shiv president; he's using her to hurt/turn against Kendall & when she's shanked him - and maybe even driven away Tom in the process - he'll have no use for her. That said, I think Gerri is in a for a world of hurt too & that won't be something glib, smarmy Roman can laugh off

by Anonymousreply 315October 26, 2021 11:17 PM

Logan knows Shiv went right to see Kendall after she would have heard that she was denied the CEO position, and he's worried about her turning--he knows Roman won;t leave him at this time, and since Connor is out of the company entirely he could not do serious damage to Logan. But Shiv could if she defected to Kendall's side.

by Anonymousreply 316October 26, 2021 11:24 PM

One of my favorite scenes was Logan refusing to actually apologize to Marcia for humiliating her by seeming to hook up with Rhea, even though he knows he should--he is so sociopathic that he sees apologies as "eating shit" even when he knows he's in the wrong. But, he also knew she understands him well enough she would understand that.

I would guess he also knows this lack of apologizing would cost him a fortune in terms of the financial deal she's going to swing for herself and her children (I doubt he'll play hardball with her on this), but even losing millions to Marcia is better than apologizing according to the twisted way he views the world. He's like Trump, who also refuses to apologize and will always double down if pressed.

by Anonymousreply 317October 26, 2021 11:29 PM

The CEO is always the highest ranked executive of a company r296. Thats pretty straight forward, the meaning of a President is not and varies from company to company.

With a company the size of this one you'd think there would be a President of each separate business. Ie President of News, President of Cruises, and whatever else.

However based on Logan's dialogue it seemed to imply a number 2 position behind the CEO, which is how some businesses are structured.

But really it, like the ENDLESS amount of VP titles doesn't have a strict meaning.

Things like CEO, CFO, those have universal meaning.

by Anonymousreply 318October 26, 2021 11:33 PM

This is my fear -

On the boat, Roman defended Gerri in front of the whole family. In the first episode this season, Roman proposed Gerri to Logan as the potential President. In the second episode, Roman wigged out when Shiv made a (mean but generic) joke about him having to fuck someone eventually, so much so that Shiv was surprised. Those are enough clues for someone in this highly suspicious family to wonder what’s going on with Roman. (Now that I think of it, Roman’s wife/gf/whatever wasn’t on the boat with them and hasn’t been mentioned yet this season, maybe another clue?)

Logan may already sense something. I winced a little when he told Roman not to let Gerri out of his sight. He enjoys making remarks like that and letting others think he hasn’t caught onto their schemes.

by Anonymousreply 319October 26, 2021 11:35 PM

[quote] I really wanna fuck cousin Greg. None of the other male characters do it for me. Except the stoner waiter dude that Kendall killed that night. He was kinda hot.

Agreed on both counts. You and I have the exact same taste in geeky-cute guys.

I searched like mad for the name of the cater waiter boy and never found it.

by Anonymousreply 320October 26, 2021 11:44 PM

[quote] I searched like mad for the name of the cater waiter boy and never found it.

I think the character's name was Andrew Dodds.

If that's the case, the actor's name is Tom Morley

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321October 26, 2021 11:52 PM

I would like a reveal this season that cousin Greg has some very serious sex kinks.

by Anonymousreply 322October 26, 2021 11:58 PM

I know people have said that Greg is not as dumb as he wants everyone to think (the I, Claudius gambit) but no, he really is that dumb because we’ve seen it when he’s with non-family like his law student friend in this episode or in the very first episode in the first season when he shows up at the amusement park training session.

by Anonymousreply 323October 27, 2021 12:01 AM

They aren't going to be completely dependent on Logan r297. When they were trying to buy him out Kendall's share of stocks in Waystar were worth around 500 million for instance. The kids probably also have some sort of trust fund set up which wouldn't be easy to change.

Though still, they would go down from insanely rich to just very rich.

Greg is the only one who has no assets or real money in his name. He would be screwed without help.

by Anonymousreply 324October 27, 2021 12:23 AM

I agree with those proposing a Logan is positioning Gerri to take the fall, but I wouldn't count her out. She's worked for the asshole for a while and she knows he can't be trusted, that he plays people off one another including his kids, and that he makes grand promises he later reverses. She's privvy to a lot of inside information too.

I can't wait to see how this season develops!

by Anonymousreply 325October 27, 2021 12:33 AM

This show is so satisfying to watch. I feel like a fly on the inside walls of the Roy castle. But I can’t decide if the actress who plays Shiv is either ugly as sin, or an exotic beauty. I vacillate between the two.

by Anonymousreply 326October 27, 2021 12:55 AM

[quote] I think the high stakes money (inheritance? control of the family business?) is adding extra motivation to take each other down if not literally, then with words.

Interesting take.

by Anonymousreply 327October 27, 2021 12:56 AM

Cousin Greg is Chauncey Gardiner.

by Anonymousreply 328October 27, 2021 1:00 AM

R326 I feel the same way lol

by Anonymousreply 329October 27, 2021 1:01 AM

Greg is exceedingly ignorant and not book smart, but he has some kind of strong instinctive sense — maybe he can read people well? — so that he knows when something is off, he’s just not sure why and he doesn’t really trust himself. The situation with the lawyer is a good example, as is his repeated saving of the incriminating documents.

by Anonymousreply 330October 27, 2021 1:05 AM

I couldn’t believe Shiv was stuck in that ugly suit for a whole second episode. She did a good job of portraying that travel day / jet lag feeling when your clothes feel gross and stale, your hair is greasy, and you just want to go take a shower.

by Anonymousreply 331October 27, 2021 1:12 AM

Why is Shiv always wearing suits? She’s not an executive.

by Anonymousreply 332October 27, 2021 1:15 AM

Dress for the job you want, r332.

by Anonymousreply 333October 27, 2021 1:18 AM

It must be related to her sense of insecurity/inferiority within the family, either as the one girl or the one child not part of the business. But it’s interesting thay usually her suits look great on her, while this whole getup was unflattering. She was noticeably uncomfortable and kept stretching and fidgeting. The character feels very anxious and off.

by Anonymousreply 334October 27, 2021 1:19 AM

I hope Gerri fucks them all up AND over.

by Anonymousreply 335October 27, 2021 1:21 AM

I want the yacht featured in Season 3…..and I love the epic play Logan’s wife and her attorney made to stay around and support him. She’s a smart one.

by Anonymousreply 336October 27, 2021 1:23 AM

Shiv is fat now. That’s the problem.

by Anonymousreply 337October 27, 2021 1:24 AM

I love when Gerri talks dirty to Roman, but I want to see her in full black leather dominatrix garb this season, standing over him with a whip, while he holds his micropeen.

by Anonymousreply 338October 27, 2021 1:24 AM

She has never been super slim r337. The casting of this show was noticeable. They didn't cast some sexy hunks for the sons, and they didn't cast thin model for daughter

by Anonymousreply 339October 27, 2021 1:28 AM

Shiv isn’t fat. They put her in a shirt style that would make Karen Carpenter look porky.

by Anonymousreply 340October 27, 2021 1:28 AM

Sarah Snook's big ass is apparently much fetishized among straight men.

by Anonymousreply 341October 27, 2021 1:29 AM

R336 I want that black helicopter that Logan and Ken took to Greece to meet the potential investor in the finals. That was crazy looking.

by Anonymousreply 342October 27, 2021 1:29 AM

She’s fat. Check out her recent tonight show appearance. The one hosted by Seth.

by Anonymousreply 343October 27, 2021 1:36 AM

BIG AS A HOUSE!

by Anonymousreply 344October 27, 2021 2:03 AM

The older brother is an odd character. (And maybe inconsistently, or incompletely developed by the writers). A libertarian thinker with political ambitions? A new aged health and wellness crackpot? A dull henpecked romance addict? Or is he sly and overlooked?

Why is he not in the "succession"... he had another mother, right? Is he overlooked because it is his choice or does Logan think he's a fool?

by Anonymousreply 345October 27, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote] A new aged health and wellness crackpot?

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 346October 27, 2021 2:33 AM

Typos aren't oh dear material, r346. "Oh dear" yourself for misunderstanding the difference between a typo and a usage error.

by Anonymousreply 347October 27, 2021 2:37 AM

R347 In fact, it could be argued it was a clever play on the reader's assumptions.

The "oh dears" are much too common on DL these days. It cheapens it.

by Anonymousreply 348October 27, 2021 2:40 AM

Bitch, typos are BY DEFINITION oh dear material.

by Anonymousreply 349October 27, 2021 2:46 AM

Oh, dears shouldn’t be argued about, it’s a sign of weakness to dispute them. Be proud of your oh, dears.

by Anonymousreply 350October 27, 2021 2:47 AM

Ladies, please.

Now, what about the older brother? What is up with him?

by Anonymousreply 351October 27, 2021 2:50 AM

Con is an enigma. He clearly loves his dad, maybe the most of all the kids. When his dad lied and said “you’re #1” (implying Con was his favorite), you could see the tiredness on Con’s face of knowing this wasn’t true and that his dad is embarrassed of him or (worse) finds him useless. Of all the siblings, he seems to have by far the healthiest attitude about enjoying his money and not trying to involve himself in the business affairs. The flip side is he gets involved in all kinds of other stupid businesses, because he’s bored, rich, idle, not that smart, and still craving his dad’s love.

by Anonymousreply 352October 27, 2021 2:54 AM

[quote]Sarah Snook's big ass is apparently much fetishized among straight men.

With good reason. I'm a woman and I fetishize that sweet ass, too. Her body is banging.

by Anonymousreply 353October 27, 2021 2:57 AM

r352, I think Connor is the most interesting of the siblings. He's not overwritten and not overacted like the others. The other three say a lot but it's quite repetitive. I keep coming back for the plot and the minor characters. The interplay between the three other siblings is beyond tiresome at this point.

by Anonymousreply 354October 27, 2021 2:57 AM

R352 Well observed. So, bottom line, he isn't that smart, right? It isn't "wisdom", it is shallowness that makes him chill. (relative to the savage siblings)

by Anonymousreply 355October 27, 2021 2:58 AM

There are so many different kinds smart. He has no business instinct whatsoever. He spends money like water. But I think he’s the best of all the siblings at human relationships…it’s like he’s the only one of the kids who’s been to therapy or something. Although he can be really oblivious at times, especially to his girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 356October 27, 2021 3:01 AM

Shiv no doubt wore those pants suits in her previous career as a political consultant.

I forgot that Roman introduced Willa to Connor. Shouldn’t we assume he fucked her first?

by Anonymousreply 357October 27, 2021 3:07 AM

I subscribe to the new theory that Roman is a virgin. He made a comment in the first episode, and then Shiv’s comment in this episode also supports it. It’s going to be super painful if he loses his virginity to Gerri and then Logan forces Roman to screw her over business-wise.

by Anonymousreply 358October 27, 2021 3:09 AM

R358 - you do realize this is a fictional television show, don’t you?

by Anonymousreply 359October 27, 2021 3:23 AM

Way back in season one, Roman’s girlfriend mentions they only have sex “every six months or so” implying they have had sex, so I don’t actually think Roman is a virgin.

by Anonymousreply 360October 27, 2021 4:19 AM

I hope Sarah Snook doesn't take the ridiculous comments about her weight to heart, pull an Adele and go on a diet. In a world of stick-thin clone actresses, her figure is very pleasing and gives her a strong presence.

by Anonymousreply 361October 27, 2021 12:40 PM

R361 - Agreed. I like a thick woman in a position power. It tells me she’s working on her career, not on her physique at the gym.

by Anonymousreply 362October 27, 2021 12:46 PM

Snook is Australian and has kids - right? Hopefully she doesn’t give a fuck?

Also straight men are wild for her ass (even women on twitter are commenting about how hot her body is) so I think she will be okay?

by Anonymousreply 363October 27, 2021 12:50 PM

Shiv's dialogue is a bunch of, umm's, hmm's, well's, I don't know's and what do you think. She never has an independent thought or makes a complete sentence. She's pretty vapid. She does have a great side eye, though.

by Anonymousreply 364October 27, 2021 12:51 PM

She just got married during Covid - I don’t think she has kids yet. Aussies seem less likely to be cowed by public critique of their bodies, so I’m guessing she’ll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 365October 27, 2021 12:52 PM

Oh snook doesn’t have kids nevermind. She just married some guy she met a year ago.

Yeah she might lose the weight and appear rail thin next season.

Also she’s only 33. For some reason I assumed older.

by Anonymousreply 366October 27, 2021 12:52 PM

R365 Ummmmm…..

by Anonymousreply 367October 27, 2021 1:52 PM

I always imagine the problem being not just online comments but their management and the people who style them telling them they have to be thin.

by Anonymousreply 368October 27, 2021 1:55 PM

R366, Snook was apparently friends with this guy for many years and then they spent lockdown together and fell in love.

I wonder if Shiv will get banged by Alexander Skarsgard’s character.

by Anonymousreply 369October 27, 2021 2:19 PM

[quote]The interplay between the three other siblings is beyond tiresome at this point.

It's like hearing the same horrible people have the same conversation over and over again.

The only thing that saves it for me is Shiv's side-eye.

And the way Kendall personally attacked anyone the second they seemed to be going with their dad, just seemed like bad writing. The show loves insults (something Veep did, but to better effect), but it seems as if the writers were sacrificing that character's credibility to make them. It would have been a really stupid to be so quick to alienate the people you needs as allies.

by Anonymousreply 370October 27, 2021 2:45 PM

I really disagree on your last point r370.

I think showing how Kendall turned so petty and immature once he was rejected was crucial. Kendall can pretend to be high minded like he did this ep but he is full of shit. Just like the premiere his comment about being surrounded by smart women and then not letting them speak and do their PR pitch.

That is who Kendall is, it's always been who Kendall is.

by Anonymousreply 371October 27, 2021 2:55 PM

Yes I agree with R371, I thought it was great how Kendall immediately flipped into a rage-filled asshole when he realized none of the siblings were joining him. Showed exactly who he is.

Loved the Roman line about how Kendall remembered his kid's name - did anyone else catch that? Kendall suggests they go to his daughter's room to talk but hesitates before saying her name and Roman mutters oh wow he remembered his kid's name. I wonder if that was improvised.

by Anonymousreply 372October 27, 2021 2:58 PM

The writer’s room collaboration for this show would be so fun to be a part of. There’s an infinite way things could go story wise.

by Anonymousreply 373October 27, 2021 3:32 PM

Kendell raging at his siblings is just the flipside of his manic, upbeat, coked-up self. This is how cokeheads behave—he’s headed for another crash.

by Anonymousreply 374October 27, 2021 3:36 PM

Is anyone else a fan of the theme song by Nicholas Britell?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375October 27, 2021 3:38 PM

R375 - yes I do. I sometimes find myself not skipping the intro to the next episode so I can listen! I’ve done this with no other shows.

by Anonymousreply 376October 27, 2021 3:40 PM

[quote]Is anyone else a fan of the theme song by Nicholas Britell?

R1 and R2 are.

by Anonymousreply 377October 27, 2021 3:40 PM

I agree with this tweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378October 27, 2021 3:53 PM

I just season 2 finale last night. Did I miss something? The were at the Piersons, who turned them down, Logan gets a call and all of a sudden the cousin is the golden boy? What happened?

by Anonymousreply 379October 27, 2021 5:03 PM

That was not the finale of season 2 R379. Might watch to check your episodes again.

by Anonymousreply 380October 27, 2021 5:15 PM

ok R380. I thought it was but it was late too. I've been binging while I'm in bed at night.

by Anonymousreply 381October 27, 2021 5:17 PM

Binging in bed is DANGEROUS.

by Anonymousreply 382October 27, 2021 5:56 PM

They're not the Piersons. They're the Pierces.

by Anonymousreply 383October 27, 2021 5:59 PM

And PMG stands for? Pierce blank blank?

by Anonymousreply 384October 27, 2021 7:18 PM

Pierce Media Group, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 385October 27, 2021 7:18 PM

Pierce Media Group

by Anonymousreply 386October 27, 2021 7:19 PM

This family is a total shitshow. Contrast them to the Pierce family and the Roys come off as uncouth savages. The only ones with a semblance of decorum are Kendall and Shiv.

by Anonymousreply 387October 27, 2021 7:26 PM

What is ATN short for?

by Anonymousreply 388October 27, 2021 7:32 PM

R388 - ATN - American Television Network

by Anonymousreply 389October 27, 2021 7:34 PM

Kendall's assessments of his siblings were actually what their father thinks of each of them -- Connor is irrelevant, Roman's a moron (Logan said so himself in the third episode of the season season), Siobhan is only important because she's the only girl.

by Anonymousreply 390October 27, 2021 7:40 PM

I don’t think we know exactly what ATN stands for but maybe American television news?

by Anonymousreply 391October 27, 2021 7:45 PM

Roman cracks me up. He's not stupid, he's just selfish and spoiled. I'm not sure what issues cause his not being able to have sex but his relationship with the older woman is funny as hell. "You filthy little pig" as he's jerking off and you can tell she's secretly titillated and not disgusted at all.

by Anonymousreply 392October 27, 2021 7:51 PM

R300 - Yes, I agree with you. And I think the siblings know this as well. But Daddy holds the keys to the kingdom, so they'll side with him. Kendall doesn't inspire much confidence in his business acumen either.

by Anonymousreply 393October 27, 2021 8:03 PM

[quote] Kendall's assessments of his siblings were actually what their father thinks of each of them -- Connor is irrelevant, Roman's a moron (Logan said so himself in the third episode of the season season), Siobhan is only important because she's the only girl.

All of which is true in some way (though not in all ways). But it means Kendall should have been able to take over by himself, and the fact that he hasn't been able to do so means his worst fear is true: he's an incompetent junkie,a nd had the whole thing nearly handed to him and was unable to keep it going because of his own weaknesses.

by Anonymousreply 394October 27, 2021 8:14 PM

What's also sad is that if the siblings just did not need so much favoritism from their dad they would have all had what they wanted in the end: Connor and Shiv could have been rich and pursued different kinds of careers (although Connor would never be able to be elected to high office because he's an idiot), and Roman and Kendall could have split the company together when their father died. And they all would have inherited a fortune each.

but because Logan has inculcated this ruthless winner-take-all approach in them, they cannot be happy unless they're the favorite marked to be the sole winner.

by Anonymousreply 395October 27, 2021 8:16 PM

Totally out of left field but Shiv's wedding dress was beautiful. Very elegant as well as her hair with the flowers.

How long before she totally fucks that marriage up?

by Anonymousreply 396October 27, 2021 9:06 PM

Alan Ruck has improved with age too.

by Anonymousreply 397October 27, 2021 9:08 PM

Agree about Shiv’s wedding dress, R396. It was stunning. She fucked that marriage on the wedding night!

by Anonymousreply 398October 27, 2021 9:28 PM

R397 In looks or acting, as I see neither?

by Anonymousreply 399October 27, 2021 10:34 PM

Hasn’t she already totally fucked up her marriage?

by Anonymousreply 400October 27, 2021 11:31 PM

She was sleeping with other guys without Tom's knowledge/consent before they got married. I mean there isn't much more to say than that.

Shiv looks at Tom as a safe choice who is not a threat to her. She wouldn't want to marry someone who she didn't feel superior to IMO.

She cares about Tom, but truly loves him? Eh.

by Anonymousreply 401October 27, 2021 11:51 PM

It seems like Tom has been reduced to a walk-on this season.

by Anonymousreply 402October 28, 2021 12:29 AM

Tom is just biding his time. Never count him out!

by Anonymousreply 403October 28, 2021 12:30 AM

I wish they would make a spin-off about the Pierce family, who are disgustingly sanctimonious hypocrites in their own way.

Nan Pierce yelling “Come have a drink! You never relax!” to her maid, and then serving up the roast as if she cooked it, has been one of my favorite moments of the series (that whole dinner party, really).

by Anonymousreply 404October 28, 2021 12:32 AM

I was going to mention that, R404. The Pierce family (especially the matriarch played by the incomparable Cherry Jones) are just as fascinating as the Roys.

And I noticed in all the threads about Succession many have complained that there isn't enough eye candy. I have to disagree. Not only is Nicholas Braun cute, but I'm always hoping that Stewie makes an appearance; I find Arian Moayed incredibly sexy. He does a good job playing the slimy, backstabbing Stewie, and he comes off more believable in his role than the other actors.

Maybe it's just me that finds him attractive because I'm into Middle-Eastern men, and my boyfriend is one.

by Anonymousreply 405October 28, 2021 2:34 AM

I think Stewie is very handsome, but his frat bro voice kind of ruins it.

I have a soft spot for Con / Alan Ruck. I always thought he was cute.

by Anonymousreply 406October 28, 2021 2:37 AM

I think Stewie is attractive too. The hottest guy in the cast

by Anonymousreply 407October 28, 2021 3:28 AM

Interestingly, Brian Cox is only 10 years older than Alan Ruck.

by Anonymousreply 408October 28, 2021 4:57 AM

R408 - how could he have fathered him then? Generally a parent is 18-30 years older than their child.

by Anonymousreply 409October 28, 2021 9:32 AM

I hate to break this to you, R409, but it's all make believe.

by Anonymousreply 410October 28, 2021 12:05 PM

I'm getting close to the end of season 2 and Logan is a monster. The outbursts of temper, boar on the floor game, throwing shit and hitting Roman. I hope his kids kill him.

by Anonymousreply 411October 28, 2021 12:49 PM

Laurence Olivier was 11 years older than Eileen Herlie, who played his mother in Hamlet.

by Anonymousreply 412October 28, 2021 12:51 PM

What about that time Sally Fields played Tom Hanks’ lover in a movie, only then to be his mother in Forrest Gump!

by Anonymousreply 413October 28, 2021 1:16 PM

I’m predicting now that Logan will die instantly of a massive heart attack in a very public setting or while on TV during a congressional hearing.

by Anonymousreply 414October 28, 2021 1:24 PM

R414, well, if it happens it isn’t happening until next season, which will be the final season.

by Anonymousreply 415October 28, 2021 1:49 PM

I think if they kill Logan, they will end him in the most mundane, un-special way possible, like slumping over on a city street. These titans think power will make them live forever, but eventually they die just like the rest of us peons.

by Anonymousreply 416October 28, 2021 1:51 PM

Wasn’t he supposed to die early on in the first season? but they liked the character so much they kept him on.

by Anonymousreply 417October 28, 2021 3:16 PM

Jesse Royce Landis played Cary Grant's mother in "North by Northwest," yet was three years younger than he was in real life.

by Anonymousreply 418October 28, 2021 3:39 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if Tom catches Shiv fucking some piece of Eurotrash, and then gets it on with cousin Greg.

by Anonymousreply 419October 28, 2021 3:47 PM

Logan is mesmerizing to watch. His character is so well written and acted. I couldn’t imagine the show without him.

by Anonymousreply 420October 28, 2021 3:52 PM

I do I’ve that Shivs character gets some damn hot men. That brown man she met in the bar and then went to his squalid, dirty apartment was hot!

by Anonymousreply 421October 28, 2021 3:53 PM

Shiv's lover in season one, the guy who worked for faux-Bernie Sanders, was delectable.

by Anonymousreply 422October 28, 2021 8:02 PM

People are not meant to be eaten, Mr. Hammer at r422.

by Anonymousreply 423October 28, 2021 8:15 PM

I do buy Alan Ruck as Brian Cox's son but Alan really should shave that straggly gray beard, it ages him more than necessary.

by Anonymousreply 424October 28, 2021 8:19 PM

[quote]Shiv's lover in season one, the guy who worked for faux-Bernie Sanders, was delectable.

Those two were so annoying together. Two sanctimonious, cheating jerks. I almost passed on watching his Peacock series DAN BROWN'S THE LOST SYMBOL because his SUCCESSION character grated on me.

He and Sarah Snook are still friends. He was in her wedding.

by Anonymousreply 425October 28, 2021 8:35 PM

I’m rewatching, and I forgot that during Ken’s pitch to the siblings, he says “in the next hundred” instead of “in the next hundred years.” 😂

by Anonymousreply 426October 29, 2021 1:11 AM

I'm someone that came late into Succession. I finished binge-watching the first two seasons and finally caught up with this season. The show is undeniably enjoyable. And one of the things that I find striking about the series is its mix of American and British irony and wit. Without the humor, the show could've easily veered into sanctimonious claptrap. Structurally, the show operates like a soap opera, and in many cases, it is. But it's a soap that has a lot of fun "taking the piss" out of the American ruling class, right-wing and left-wing.

It would be like Mad Men if it were written by Paddy Chayefsky.

by Anonymousreply 427October 29, 2021 3:42 AM

The actor who played Shiv’s political fuck buddy is Ashley Zukerman. And yes, he is delectable.

by Anonymousreply 428October 29, 2021 7:06 PM

I'm almost done with season 2. Loved the last ep I watched where Kendall totally fucks over his father. Fab yacht btw.

by Anonymousreply 429October 29, 2021 7:37 PM

Agreed R429. Jeremy Strong was phenomenal in that episode, as was Brian Cox.

This may have been addressed previously but good grief, who thought it was a good idea to film closeups of Jeannie Berlin’s face?

by Anonymousreply 430October 29, 2021 9:29 PM

R430, isn’t the wreckage on her face natural, at least? Or is it artificial. I’m hopeless at ascertaining plastic surgery shit, it has to be very obvious.

by Anonymousreply 431October 30, 2021 2:08 AM

Excellent discussion gents (and ladies). This is what makes DL so great.

A few random thoughts:

> While the family is based on the Murdochs, the similarity to the Trumps is also part of the appeal--kids who are treated like shit all jockeying for status as Daddy's favorite. Shivvanka as the favorite because "she has teats", Coked up Junior Mint, the SNL version of Eric as Con. And 6'7" Cousin Greg has a twin in Barron. And the Marcia/Melania comparison--foreign women who seemingly came from out of nowhere.

> Curious about Amir. Not sure if the writer's are this fine tuned to the nuances of the Middle East, but in Lebanon, which had a sizable Christian population, Christians all have Western names (like Marcia) while Muslims have Arabic names (like Amir)--this is generally true throughout the region

> Kieran Culkin's ass is about as big as Sarah Snook's. THey seem to dress him in tight flat front pants that accentuate how fat and flat his ass is.

> Billions did sort of fall apart/get run into the ground because the initial conceit--"Ha! You are rooting for the sleazy hedge fund guy because he's much more likeable than the earnest but creepy prosecutor guy!" was not all that sustainable. Succession S3 is in danger of becoming a boring season about Kendall vs Logan unless they do something to shake it up-- Season 2 worked so well because they introduced the Pierces and so you got to see the Roys as fish out of water and bouncing off of other characters. Ditto the UK scenes at Shiv's wedding.

> I would not be surprised if Roman was an actual virgin and "sex" meant oral sex or similar.

> While Greg would be short term broke, I thought they'd set it up that he will eventually inherit a lot of money from his grandfather.

> They've never quite explained what made Tom such a psychopath--at the wedding his parents seemed perfectly normal and far from poor.

> It will be interesting to learn Gerri's back story-- how long she was married for, who her ex-husband is, how old her daughters are and what her relationship to them is.

by Anonymousreply 432October 31, 2021 2:20 PM

I’m also curious what drives Tom. I didn’t rewatch Season 1 this year, but my memory is we are introduced to him when he’s already established with Shiv. Which came first, his interest in the family or his interest in Shiv—is he a Becky Sharp or someone who fell for Shiv and so is trying to win and keep her attention?

by Anonymousreply 433October 31, 2021 2:27 PM

Exactly R433 - I forget whether Tom was already working at ATN when he met Shiv (falling for the boss's daughter) or if she got him the job there and what he was supposed to have done before ATN.

Any DLers remembering how they met, please chime in.

by Anonymousreply 434October 31, 2021 2:30 PM

Tom and Greg got their jobs at ATN at the beginning of Season 1. Before that he was just a non descript executive at Waystar.

by Anonymousreply 435October 31, 2021 2:45 PM

I also get Trump vibes. The Roy's are fairly despised and it appears that other billionaires find them uncultured louts just as NY society found the Trump creatures. They were tolerated but never fully welcomed into the club and that society.

by Anonymousreply 436October 31, 2021 2:46 PM

Thanks R435 - now that you say it, it's starting to come back to me.

So we can assume he was working for Waystar when he met Shiv though how he met her (she was a political consultant) has not been explained?

by Anonymousreply 437October 31, 2021 2:54 PM

[quote]Tom and Greg got their jobs at ATN at the beginning of Season 1.

Nope. Tom got promoted to ATN only after Logan offered Shiv the CEO position in episode 1 of S2. He brought Greg along with him. Before that, Tom was working in the Cruises division of Waystar. He got promoted to that role presumably because he was marrying Shiv. Remember the episode when Bill has to pass off all the most lurid details of Cruises to Tom? Who then spends several episodes working with Greg to get rid of incriminating documents? Tom then gives Shiv the information right before their wedding so she had leverage to make a deal for her Senator.

by Anonymousreply 438October 31, 2021 3:47 PM

I am not sure the Tom/Shiv relationship works. It's presented as "quirky, mutually-beneficial, a modern kind of love through deceptions and compromise"....

I suppose I can see how an ambitious Tom wants to "create" a monumental love relationship with the powerful boss's daughter. But as stated above, the actor is great at giving us guffaws and surprising line-readings, but his psychology, needs, motivations seem all over the map. And as good an actress as Sarah Snook is, her own motives for the relationship seem unformed, or too ambiguous. A woman of her strength wouldn't accept "a safe harbor" in a storm relationship... she wants to feel the storms. And her wedding night declaration of her infidelity and desire to have an open marriage just didn't play true.

by Anonymousreply 439October 31, 2021 4:37 PM

While I agree with you R439, I think they just wanted to show that she was a sociopath deep down, that she got off on having a guy she could push around and that she was often just trying to see how much she could get away with--how much fucked up stuff she could do to Tom before he walked away.

The answer seems to be "a whole lot" but we never understand why Tom is like that. His parents seem normal and loving, his college frat brothers seem to like him and are supportive. So not sure what his damage is or if that is the point--even a solid guy like Tom can get swept up in the madness of the Roys. Though his odd relationship with Greg, which I guess is supposed to offer comic relief, is a sign that Tom is not as normcore as he seems.

by Anonymousreply 440October 31, 2021 5:29 PM

I think Tom's abusive relationship with Greg is supposed to be like the kid who gets picked on at school and then goes home and kicks the dog.

by Anonymousreply 441October 31, 2021 5:33 PM

[quote]Succession S3 is in danger of becoming a boring season about Kendall vs Logan unless they do something to shake it up-- Season 2 worked so well because they introduced the Pierces and so you got to see the Roys as fish out of water and bouncing off of other characters.

Agreed, this is why I think that the return of Marcia will result in a powerplay in which she uses Kendall's accident to push her kids to the head of WR . Logan will find himself in joining forces with his kids to hold onto control against Marcia

by Anonymousreply 442October 31, 2021 5:37 PM

Did no one watch it tonight? I am in the process of torrenting it, so I am about an hour behind the rest of you.

by Anonymousreply 443November 1, 2021 2:12 AM

Thanks R443. I always forget that a new episode is available on Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 444November 1, 2021 2:23 AM

Probably the first really disappointing episode all season.

It didn't make sense to me Kendall would be so broken up about Shiv's letter when he knows she's president of Waystar-Royco now and of course is going to push back, and also knows he said really horrible things to her (albeit in private) when the siblings gathered in Sofie's room.

I also thought Ziwe's cameo was bizarre. Is her talk show on Showtime really like that? If so, it must have miniscule ratings. Who is going to watch a hyperwoke comedienne's talk show, especially on cable TV (which Gen Zers cannot afford)? How could she pose any sort of problem for Kendall?

Why would Kendall not buy a $40K watch for Greg given how much he owes Greg for his loyalty and for the papers? Kendall is worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 445November 1, 2021 2:23 AM

That was one savage episode. I am still recuperating. I think this was the first time that I ever felt Tom might be a good boss.

by Anonymousreply 446November 1, 2021 2:24 AM

I had no idea that either Matthew Macfadyen is so tall or Jeremy Strong is so short.

by Anonymousreply 447November 1, 2021 2:52 AM

I’m not sure why, after all I’ve seen Logan do in this series, but something about his behavior in tonight’s episode disgusted me more than any other tv character I’ve seen. A worthless shell of a human being.

Shiv is a terrible wife and sister. Kendall increasingly seems to be headed for the end of mania and beginning of depression in a bipolar episode. Connor and Roman are still redeemable.

I enjoyed the Nirvana.

by Anonymousreply 448November 1, 2021 3:03 AM

I’m annoyed at the preview for the next episode, which seems like an interruption of the plot finally going somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 449November 1, 2021 3:04 AM

Jeremy Strong (Kendall) is 5’9” so not all that short but standing next to Matthew McFadyen and Nicholas Braun he appears to be.

by Anonymousreply 450November 1, 2021 3:19 AM

That’s a little too “Dynasty,” r442. I don’t disagree this show shares some DNA with classic nighttime soaps but I just don’t see this building to Logan vs Marcia in the boardroom. If you’re right I’ll buy you a Coke.

Re, Shiv and Tom. She wanted someone she could control and who wasn’t a threat. He wanted access to one of the most rich, powerful families in the world. I can see Shiv liking his goofy charm as a contrast to her caustic brothers.

by Anonymousreply 451November 1, 2021 3:27 AM

Yes, R451, Jesse Armstrong isn’t writing a soap in the vein of Dynasty or Days of our Lives. Marcia will probably play a role in the company’s future but not to the extent that R442 described.

by Anonymousreply 452November 1, 2021 3:36 AM

Loved this episode, though the watch thing was illogical.

by Anonymousreply 453November 1, 2021 3:41 AM

Lots of talk of dick waving on this show.

by Anonymousreply 454November 1, 2021 3:43 AM

Marcia will walk into Waysta Royco wearing a turban and demand control of the corporation for herself and her children. Logan will offer her caviar, but she will recoil in horror, because he offers Osetrava and she prefers Petrossian beluga.

by Anonymousreply 455November 1, 2021 3:45 AM

Finally, the plot inched forward!

by Anonymousreply 456November 1, 2021 3:50 AM

That navy gown that Shiv wore did her no favors. It made her look fatter instead of accentuating her curvy figure.

by Anonymousreply 457November 1, 2021 3:57 AM

Why did Kendall think he was going to get away with humiliating Shiv at her first speech in public as company president--ever--with no repercussions? What was he thinking with the "Rape Me" stunt?

by Anonymousreply 458November 1, 2021 4:14 AM

My favorite subtle joke this episode: the same ATV anchor who was in huge trouble last season for being a Nazi memorabilia enthusiast is now hosting a political TV show for the network called "The Bunker."

by Anonymousreply 459November 1, 2021 4:34 AM

Jesus, even Ziwe's jokes on tonight's episode, which I'm sure she didn't write herself, were just as unfunny as those on her Showtime series. Embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 460November 1, 2021 4:59 AM

A problem I have with the show is the family members do terrible things to each other, and then forgive one another or forget all about it by the next episode. Now I can understand why the kids and Marcia would do this with Logan's behavior because they're so dependent on his money, and because the children are so desperate for his approval. But I would have trouble believing it if Kendall and Shiv forgave each other for humiliating each other in public the way they did this episode. That always seems to be a line the Roys never cross (they will say horrible things to one another privately but never embarrass one another in public the way the siblings did tonight).

I would be really disappointed if after this episode it's just business as usual for the two of them.

by Anonymousreply 461November 1, 2021 5:21 AM

Interesting stuff this season. A few interesting decisions surrounding kendall

--He's on drugs but they don't tell us that. His behavior suggests it but I honestly hadnt thought about it until i read it here. --There's that line Kendall says about not wanting to shit in the same toilet as his employees. he does see himself as better than everyone else. --He's kind of an idiot. His failings and shortcomings are even more obvious now that he's divorced from his family and job.

by Anonymousreply 462November 1, 2021 5:36 AM

[quote] He's kind of an idiot.

Ya think?

by Anonymousreply 463November 1, 2021 5:39 AM

It’s the genius of this show: you want to root for Kendall because Logan is clearly a monster, yet Kendall is a clueless rich prick, a poseur, an addict and not that bright (his knowledge of business seems largely comprised of an ability to parrot buzzwords).

I had no idea that talk show host is a real cultural figure. She was terrible!

by Anonymousreply 464November 1, 2021 2:05 PM

Glad Michelle-Ann didn’t turn out to be a batshit crazy Kellyanne stereotype as some of you predicted she’d be. She’s reasonable. For a Republican.

My two favorite lines-

“I always come”-Shiv’s double barrelled response to her former political fuck buddy.

“I know you”-Logan’s henchman Colin reminding Kendall that he’s the one who did the “clean up” after the drowning death of that waiter in England.

by Anonymousreply 465November 1, 2021 2:26 PM

Colin was very good at leaning menacingly!

by Anonymousreply 466November 1, 2021 3:13 PM

They don’t make this up as they go along. The network always sees an outline of each season episode by episode with budgets and expenses.

by Anonymousreply 467November 1, 2021 4:23 PM

Colin's kind of hot in a middle-aged daddy sort of way.

by Anonymousreply 468November 1, 2021 4:29 PM

A critic friend who’s seen the first seven out of the nine episodes for this season told me that Marcia won’t appear in any of the next four but going by previews it looks like she’ll at least be in the Italian episodes (the eighth and ninth).

by Anonymousreply 469November 1, 2021 4:32 PM

I think Marcia’s character is there to show how these marriages are really negotiations and similar to the children’s relationships and partners. I don’t see her character exerting and control. Logan will keep her boxed in.

by Anonymousreply 470November 1, 2021 4:36 PM

I do think Marcia will be quite useful down the road when the shit really hits the fan. As well as Mrs. Roy #2 aka Lady Caroline of Stoke Cuntington.

by Anonymousreply 471November 1, 2021 8:55 PM

I really hope they bring Harriet Walter back.

by Anonymousreply 472November 1, 2021 9:01 PM

I bet they will, probably toward the end of the season. Maybe she pops up in Italy?

by Anonymousreply 473November 2, 2021 1:04 AM

Thank you R465-- could not place Colin until your post.

Who was the young guy in the limo with Cousin Greg? He was also wearing black tie and looked very young.

by Anonymousreply 474November 2, 2021 1:35 AM

We've so far really seen Lady Caroline interact with all the children together 9at the weding) and individually with just with Kendall (whom she pointedly ducked out from when he needed her most). I would like to see her horrible relationships in more detail with both Shiv and Roman.

You know she's screwed up Roman the most given his constant undermining of himself (he's got the smartest mouth of her three children but he is the least confident), given that they sent him to military school, and given his sexual obsession with a woman her age (Gerri).

by Anonymousreply 475November 2, 2021 1:35 AM

R448? If you think this behavior is evil, you need to watch Kevin Spacey in House of Cards. Just the first 10 minutes of the very first episode will be enough to keep you up at night.

by Anonymousreply 476November 2, 2021 1:43 AM

If you are looking for a good recapper with excellent analysis of shows, this guy’s channel is one of the best. He always does a great job of dissection, noticing details and making predictions. I always come away in awe of the discoveries and connections he makes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477November 2, 2021 1:52 AM

Roman having use a memory of fishing with Connor because he couldn't think of a single appropriate memory to tell with Logan said it all about how these kids became who they are.

by Anonymousreply 478November 2, 2021 1:52 AM

House of Cards doesn't do it for me (and that final season was a disaster). It had some good moments in the first season, but it lacked the satirical humor of the BBC version with Ian Richardson. The Spacey version took itself too seriously, and as the late Molly Ivins once said, when you write about politics or people in power, it's best to lampoon the individuals involved.

Succession is better at doing this.

by Anonymousreply 479November 2, 2021 1:52 AM

Are Kendall's kids adopted? They look very ethnic but it's never explained.

by Anonymousreply 480November 2, 2021 1:57 AM

R476 I’ve seen all kinds of evil or sad tv characters, from Ralphie Cifaretto to Dukie Weems, but Logan’s total lack of emotion when confronted with the truth that Roman remembers nothing about his father during his childhood just got to me. I really, really hate Logan Roy.

by Anonymousreply 481November 2, 2021 1:58 AM

And then Logan calling Roman a faggot, even jokingly, was cruel. Logan has always been a homophobe. I think it was last season when he told Greg to keep an eye on Kendall because he doesn't want Ken to be found at the bottom of some French fag's pool.

He's a cold-hearted bastard.

by Anonymousreply 482November 2, 2021 2:02 AM

And Kendall is just as absent a presence in his own kids life, apple really doesn't fall far from the tree.

by Anonymousreply 483November 2, 2021 2:02 AM

R482 Especially after we saw Roman melt down last week at Shiv’s joke about Roman not having sex. So you know exactly how upset Roman would be by his father’s “joke,” and the fact that he stood there and took it shows he still cares what his piece of shit father thinks of him.

by Anonymousreply 484November 2, 2021 2:05 AM

Was this the first time Kendall wore a pinky ring?

by Anonymousreply 485November 2, 2021 2:06 AM

r484, I would be surprised if Logan knows about Roman's impotence and possible virginity.

I think his comments to Roman's referred to the fact that he thought Roman talking about his love of his father to the interviewer was effeminate.

by Anonymousreply 486November 2, 2021 2:24 AM

Logan spent no quality time with Roman as a child because he is incapable of interacting with children on their own terms, as we saw the first season when he hit Kendall's son for accusing him of cheating. he is incapable of interacting with children as children (and of course Iverson is not just a child but is also autistic--even then Logan cannot make allowances).

by Anonymousreply 487November 2, 2021 2:30 AM

[quote]Nan Pierce yelling “Come have a drink! You never relax!” to her maid, and then serving up the roast as if she cooked it, has been one of my favorite moments of the series (that whole dinner party, really).

The undisputed best episode (so far) of the series. Cherry Jones, especially, is iconic. It would be a mistake not to somehow build on it. And the rest of Pierces look like they have enough material to fill up their own show, let alone this one.

by Anonymousreply 488November 2, 2021 5:53 AM

R476 House of Cards is a cartoon compared to Succession. It was a very entertaining cartoon. Succession has characters who are far more human and there's no puppet master, just an attempt to stay on top of the pile of shit in a world of escalating chaos.

by Anonymousreply 489November 2, 2021 7:01 AM

I've noted this before, but it's still unclear why Tom gets off on being the tissue Shiv uses to clean the dog poop off her shoes.

His parents seemed normal and caring and his college frat buddies seemed to like and respect him. His parents, while not at a Roy level of wealth, are affluent enough that he's always been able to live a very comfortable life.

What flipped the switch?

by Anonymousreply 490November 2, 2021 11:32 AM

[quote]but it's still unclear why Tom gets off on being the tissue Shiv uses to clean the dog poop off her shoes.

Maybe we'll learn more about Tom, but I think the dinner he had with Greg when they ate the rare bird gave a lot of insight into the kind of guy Tom is. He goes on & on to Greg about how awesome it is to be rich & do whatever you want (including eating a rare bird) and be this kind of demi-god...meanwhile, Shiv is fucking another guy. So he seems to get off on not just being rich, but living this super elite/rarified air existence

by Anonymousreply 491November 2, 2021 11:51 AM

Does anyone know who Tom called after he told Logan he'd take the fall in episode 3? He ran back to his office and called someone--looking around to make sure no one was spying on him--and was interrupted when Greg called to tell him he had info that team Logan would like to hear (I suspect that news was that Kendall was on his way into the office).

No recaps have mentioned Tom's phone call. Also, digging the Greg/Tom alliance of necessity. They are each getting screwed over by people they love (Shiv for Tom and Kendall for Greg) and seem to be starting to join forces.

by Anonymousreply 492November 2, 2021 4:00 PM

r492, I thought he was calling to arrange an attorney for himself, independent of the company attorney.

by Anonymousreply 493November 2, 2021 4:06 PM

R493 that makes sense. Shiv supported Tom's Hail Mary idea of being the fall guy, even though it's clearly not in his best interests. Tom did so and then immediately called an attorney to protect himself because he can't stand up to Shiv.

The scene between Shiv and Tom in the last episode of Season 2 was one of the most powerful moments of TV I've ever seen. When Tom tells Shiv that he loves her but wonders if the pain he'd feel from a divorce would be worse than the pain he feels married to her. I've been in that situation and it rang uncomfortably true.

Also, love how this season didn't pick up with Kendall being triumphant after the press conference and easily assuming the Way/Star mantle of power. The writers are doing a magnificent job of showing the aftermath of that announcement--both in how broken and insecure Kendall is (and in no way ready to assume power); how more confident and in command the other kids are (especially Roman and--surprisingly--Connor--though Roman is still desperately seeking his father's approval; how ambivalent Shiv is about assuming control of Way/Star even while reveling the power; and how Logan realizes that he's on very thin ice, but can sideline his bluster when faced with an unsurmountable threat--the FBI--and know when it's time to acquiesce to higher power.

Also admire how they did not elevate Kendall to the "good guy" or a hero. Roman seems to be the only sibling on solid ground (though love that Connor leveraged Logan's loss of power to stand up to him a bit) and making pretty good decisions.

It's truly a magnificently written and plotted show.

by Anonymousreply 494November 2, 2021 4:18 PM

It's unclear r490?

Tom went from a nobody to an incredibly powerful and wealthy person through Shiv.

What more motivation do you need?

by Anonymousreply 495November 2, 2021 4:29 PM

I think it's strongly implied that Tom called a defense attorney who'd been recommended to him as part of his friend's objective assessment of his situation (which happened offscreen).

by Anonymousreply 496November 2, 2021 5:00 PM

R496 Yes, he asked the office assistant for "a consultation".... it was an attorney. You don't ask a new therapist, doctor for a "consulation"....

As said upthread... there is a lot of pathology in this show. The "kick me hard, I deserve your scorn" food chain as an example... Shiv belittles Tom, who belittles Greg... who probably goes home and teases his dog.

by Anonymousreply 497November 2, 2021 5:05 PM

Wonder if Roman has a breaking point with Logan’s abuse—he did flinch when Logan called him the f-word.

by Anonymousreply 498November 2, 2021 7:04 PM

The show is fun, but I’m mystified by those who consider it great television. We don’t really like any of the characters so it doesn’t really matter to us what happens to them, which is good because nothing ever does.

by Anonymousreply 499November 2, 2021 7:06 PM

Asked critic friend who’s watched the first seven episodes to describe them in one word or sentence (I knew better than to ask him for details). He said he’d describe them as (in order) Aftermath #1, Aftermath #2, Return to Waystar, Father/Son Showdown, Shareholders Meeting Mayhem, Republican Coffee Klatsch and Kendall’s Vulgar 40th Birthday Bash.

None of the above are really spoilers because critics have mentioned bits of each in passing in their reviews. My critic friend said some of them revealed too much, like at Kendall’s birthday party he has the entrance designed to symbolize his mother’s vagina (it’s described as the “birth canal” in the review).

by Anonymousreply 500November 2, 2021 7:06 PM

"Logan’s total lack of emotion when confronted with the truth that Roman remembers nothing about his father during his childhood just got to me."

Oh, I'm sure Roman remembers *plenty* about Logan during his (Roman's) childhood. He just chose not to talk about any of it during a puff piece extolling his father and his company.

by Anonymousreply 501November 2, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote] I love how vulgar and low-rent and unprofessional the Roys they are and how their opponents respond in a bemused, quietly disgusted, “real world” way. Kendall is always “let’s fuck”, “you’re the shiz”, “dude” and “fuck off!” and people are “er, ok”.

Kendall especially is fascinated by hip-hop culture. I think in part it has to do with the fact that he lives in an upper-class world in which he feels like he doesn't belong, because he's new money and his father behaves so crudely.

The other kids talk crudely to make an impression (because they know their dad does when he speaks this way), and because no one will look down at them if they do because they're surrounded by sycophants.

by Anonymousreply 502November 2, 2021 7:14 PM

I love the way Brian Cox plays Logan’s facial expressions when he overhears Roman or Shiv using their weird vulgar slang. It’s like Logan is torn between being embarrassed of them, having second-hand embarrassment for them, and not caring enough to actually react.

by Anonymousreply 503November 2, 2021 7:19 PM

I think Kendall uses hip hop slang / AAVE because he’s middle-aged and that’s what was cool in the 90s-00s for basic white teenagers. He’s the Richie Rich male version of a mug-cradler.

by Anonymousreply 504November 2, 2021 7:21 PM

[quote] Tom went from a nobody to an incredibly powerful and wealthy person through Shiv. What more motivation do you need?

That's just not true--he wasn't a nobody before he married her. He was already before their marriage a top corporate executive at Waystar-Royco, and wealthy enough that before the wedding (and the merger of their bank accounts) he was able to bring Greg to one of the fanciest restaurants in NYC and teach him how to eat ortolans (which he had clearly done before). I doubt Shiv would have married him ahd he not by the time he proposed not already become wealthy on his own(though no where near the level of the Roys' wealth).

It's been established that his mother is a high-powered lawyer in the Twin Cities, which is how he was able to afford to attend good enough schools that he was able to secure a job at the company and raise through the ranks. (He's also said that his mother remains his lawyer--she checked out the pre-nuptial agreement.)Obviously though the Wambsganses were affluent by Twin Cities standards, they were still not wealthy enough to be at the same table as the Roys. He talked in season 1 about how he read his mother's copies of [italic]Vanity Fair[/italic] as a child and dreamed of someday being in the highest of high societies pictured there.

I would guess Tom's parents are millionaires, but not multi-multi-millionaires the way the Roys are. And they live in Minneapolis/St. Paul, which to the Roys is a backwater city.

by Anonymousreply 505November 2, 2021 7:23 PM

[quote] He talked in season 1 about how he read his mother's copies of Vanity Fair as a child and dreamed of someday being in the highest of high societies pictured there.

I wonder if this was an allusion to Thackeray as well. I can’t help for root for Tom to get himself out of this mess even if it looks like he’s not.

by Anonymousreply 506November 2, 2021 7:26 PM

I not only think he will but he’ll also shiv Shiv in the process. Offering himself up to Logan as prison fodder scored big points with the old fart.

by Anonymousreply 507November 2, 2021 7:37 PM

Anybody else think that there will be a big death of a major player this season?

by Anonymousreply 508November 2, 2021 7:47 PM

My wish list -

Logan dies in an agonizing and undignified way, unexpectedly leaving…

Gerri and Roman in charge of the company,

Shiv floundering and without any backers, because…

Tom has jumped loose with Greg, backed by money from Owain’s will and with the assistance of commie lawyer Peter Reigert,

And Kendall is eaten up by his drug or mental health problem and left without his father to fight with. Maybe Con swoops in to help him somehow.

by Anonymousreply 509November 2, 2021 7:51 PM

No r505.

When we meet Tom he is already in a very serious relationship with Shiv, I mean they get engaged in what the second episode of the show. I think it's fairly obviously the only reason he was head of cruises is because he was the boyfriend of the bosses daughter. And again he has a lot of money and is telling Greg that being rich is great...because he is connected to Shiv so now he gets gets be rich.

And the Roys are not multimillionaires, they are multiBILLIONAIRES.

You don't seem to be grasping the difference in wealth and status between someone who is a "normal" upper middle class or even higher successful lawyer and people who are members of the top .01%.

A millionaire is closer in wealth to you or me then they are to someone like the Roys. The billionaire class has a level of wealth and power that is hard for us to comprehend.

Shiv has made an immeasurably difference in the life of Tom, that is why he was able to bond with Greg. Tom also came from a normal background and didn't grow up in the weird rich bubble the Roys did.

by Anonymousreply 510November 2, 2021 7:55 PM

R508, I don’t think there will be a major death this season. Maybe next season which could be its last. And I think it could be someone like Connor, not Logan.

by Anonymousreply 511November 2, 2021 8:11 PM

I could see Kendall dying, actually.

by Anonymousreply 512November 2, 2021 8:14 PM

After the amazing climax of S2, this season is not grabbing me that much (yet.) It just seems like a lot of idling in place of the actual plot.

by Anonymousreply 513November 2, 2021 8:39 PM

This is an instance where I am glad the episodes are released weekly.

Not sure I could take binge watching it given the personalities.

by Anonymousreply 514November 2, 2021 8:41 PM

As a former NYC private school kid R502, it's not about that.

It was about all of us being hopelessly uncool in a city where we encountered what uncool stiff white boys we were on a daily basis.

Most of us didn't care because that's who we were but there were plenty of Kendalls who tried to be much cooler than they were by knowing all about hip hop or becoming sneaker heads or going to clubs at age 15 and all that.

And like Kendall, they never quite realized just how lame and hopeless they came off.

by Anonymousreply 515November 2, 2021 8:45 PM

Kendall does seem headed for a mental collapse.

by Anonymousreply 516November 2, 2021 9:33 PM

R516 Headed? He's in full collapse right in front of our eyes.

by Anonymousreply 517November 2, 2021 9:40 PM

[quote]You don't seem to be grasping the difference in wealth and status between someone who is a "normal" upper middle class or even higher successful lawyer and people who are members of the top .01%.

Oh but honey, I do, despite your pompous condescension.

Even so, a top executive at the corporation would not fit Logan's definition of "no real person involved"--he does not qualify as "nobody," as you argued earlier.

by Anonymousreply 518November 2, 2021 10:09 PM

p.s.--I do not think all the Roys (other than Logan) are multi-billionaires in their own right. Logan certainly is a multi-billionaire, but I am not sure the kids are, which is why i made that distinction. Conner certainly seems to be well under a billion, given his need for a hundred million from his father last season.

[bold]That's[/bold] why I made the distinction. Of course understand Logan Roy is a multi-billionaire: but the children (the other Roys) are adults now, and while their father is alive, they do not yet share in the fullness of his wealth. But they all seem to be multi-multi-millionaires in their own right now.

by Anonymousreply 519November 2, 2021 10:21 PM

Are we going to find out that Roman was diddled as a kid? Maybe even by Logan?

by Anonymousreply 520November 2, 2021 10:23 PM

Or by Caroline?

by Anonymousreply 521November 2, 2021 10:25 PM

Re Kendall and Shiv -

I think Kendall would forgive Shiv for that statement, especially if he gets clean and gets mental health help. It’s but one thing among all the other shit he’s in.

But I don’t think Shiv will ever forgive Kendall for the “teats” comment plus publicly wrecking her debut as President of the company. I think the public statement was just the start for her.

by Anonymousreply 522November 2, 2021 10:49 PM

I just want to see Roman, Tom, and Greg naked. Maybe even at the same time. In the same bed. Is that too much to ask?

by Anonymousreply 523November 2, 2021 10:57 PM

I think it's very possible, r520. When you combine the scene where Roman treated the kid at the softball game (S1-Ep3) so shitty, and when he asks Greg to bring a worn sweater of his father's to the hospital, and his weird hang ups with sex, it all adds up to childhood trauma.

by Anonymousreply 524November 2, 2021 11:02 PM

We've learned that Roman was left in the dog kennels by Kendall or something to that effect, right?

by Anonymousreply 525November 2, 2021 11:08 PM

Roman and Ken fought over whether Roman wanted to play the dog pound game or not, but Roman ties it to him being sent away to military school. Con says it was related to a Logan theory about how you should pit two dogs against each other to see who’s stronger (very Trumpy).

by Anonymousreply 526November 2, 2021 11:18 PM

The acting on the show is so strong. Shiv’s reaction when he played the nirvana song and then Kendall’s reaction when he saw the letter she released. They barely had dialogue but they were both so expressive you knew exactly how they were feeling.

I love this show. The performances plus the writing plus the music. Masterful.

by Anonymousreply 527November 2, 2021 11:28 PM

I am a big Shiv booster. But I thought it was very telling that she couldn’t find a smooth way to handle the “musical interlude” and ran offstage instead. She isn’t ready yet.

by Anonymousreply 528November 2, 2021 11:31 PM

It’s a brilliant series. Not laying out any backstory and deriving tension from that and from the threat or tease of any of these people being humanized.

by Anonymousreply 529November 2, 2021 11:38 PM

I have wondered if Connor molested Roman. In the episode Sunday before last, in the scene when Logan tried to recruit his siblings to his side, Roman acted very weird when Connor first entered the room. He seemed to bristle as Connor got in his space; Roman immediately put distance between them by bolting into the closet. I might be reading too much but watch that scene; it looked intentional. And then how quick Connor was to agree with Logan that "Uncle Mo" and his crowd were molesters. He was almost offended at the idea that not everyone knew.

And then this week we learn Connor took Roman on a camping trip. The pieces are there ...

by Anonymousreply 530November 2, 2021 11:42 PM

Roman jokes about Con molesting him in Season 1, Ep 7, saying he’s going to tell a therapist. But Con seems to react as though it’s a genuine joke.

by Anonymousreply 531November 2, 2021 11:53 PM

I'd forgotten that, r531 ... good pull.

by Anonymousreply 532November 2, 2021 11:57 PM

I can see Kendall and Naomi overdosing with her dying, and Kendall being held responsible for or trying to cover up her death.

by Anonymousreply 533November 2, 2021 11:59 PM

Naomi was fucked up all episode, I don’t remember if she even spoke a word.

by Anonymousreply 534November 3, 2021 12:05 AM

I loved the score this episode. It was different than usual, especially in the ending scenes with the FBI. Haunting.

by Anonymousreply 535November 3, 2021 2:19 AM

R524, a gentle correction. Kendall treated the kid at the softball game like shit in the pilot (ripping up a million dollar check in his face), not S1-Ep3. Interesting that, in light of this past episode, Kendall ended up giving the kid’s family an expensive watch along with an NDA, though.

by Anonymousreply 536November 3, 2021 3:18 AM

That was Roman who did that, R536, not Kendall. And it was in the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 537November 3, 2021 3:24 AM

Oops, yes, R537, it was Roman, not Kendall. And wasn’t the watch one that Tom bought Logan for his birthday?

by Anonymousreply 538November 3, 2021 3:29 AM

Correct, R538. No sign of Connor’s sourdough starter.

by Anonymousreply 539November 3, 2021 3:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 540November 3, 2021 4:57 AM

Obviously, Cherry Jones shone the episode where the Roys visited the Pierce's, but I found the following episode just as good. The one where they with the Davos-like billionaire retreat that ended with her telling Logan Roy to go fuck himself. Her fake folksiness and the way she was complaining about the snack and beverage prices at the resort as if they mattered to her.

by Anonymousreply 541November 3, 2021 1:41 PM

Right, the Puritan image of thrift must be upheld in public, even though I’m sure Nan spends indulgently on whatever interests her—antique needlepoint pillows or something, likely not salaries for her “beloved” help.

by Anonymousreply 542November 3, 2021 1:53 PM

I wonder how much Brian Cox is making on those McDonald's v.o. tv spots. He can certainly live quite comfortable were he written off the show. Ba Da Bum Bum Bum.

by Anonymousreply 543November 3, 2021 6:08 PM

[quote] The acting on the show is so strong. Shiv’s reaction when he played the nirvana song and then Kendall’s reaction when he saw the letter she released.

The woman who plays Shiv overacts in every damn scene. I don't get why these actors get so much praise. It took them half of the first season to stop with the stammering and then the second season was marked by "uh huhs." I can't think of any other show, much less prestige tv show, where the acting was so noticeable, for lack of a better word.

by Anonymousreply 544November 3, 2021 9:49 PM

Then why do you keep watching R544? I don’t watch 3 seasons of a show where I think the actors are shit.

by Anonymousreply 545November 3, 2021 11:14 PM

Because I am curious about what happens next, r545. I almost bailed after the second episode of Season 3 but it looks like things might start happening now.

by Anonymousreply 546November 4, 2021 12:50 AM

I actually don't think Sarah Snook is that great at Shiv, she is fine.

Jeremy Strong and Matthew McFadyen are people who are really acting their ass off.

by Anonymousreply 547November 4, 2021 12:56 AM

I do agree that there is some overacting/hamminess. But I blame the script much more than the actors. This season so far is maybe a C+/B-. But it’s still high quality, even at its weakest, I’ll take this show any day. Also, I do have faith that this season is taking us on an interesting journey. I suspect it won’t really hit that sweet spot for another two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 548November 4, 2021 1:11 AM

[quote] Jeremy Strong and Matthew McFadyen are people who are really acting their ass off.

I agree with you about Matthew McFadyen. He is very believable in his role. Alan Ruck is also good as a rich dork.

by Anonymousreply 549November 4, 2021 1:20 AM

As I watch Matthew MacFadyen, I keep wishing he had played Halston in that Netflix series. He looks so perfect and being English could have nailed the affectation well.

by Anonymousreply 550November 4, 2021 1:53 AM

New thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 551November 4, 2021 3:22 AM

But it ain’t even BAJOUR! time.

by Anonymousreply 552November 4, 2021 9:20 PM

Good point, but wrong thread R522.

by Anonymousreply 553November 4, 2021 9:23 PM

OK, R553, but still.

by Anonymousreply 554November 4, 2021 10:13 PM

"I'd castrate you and marry you in a heartbeat."

by Anonymousreply 555November 8, 2021 11:55 AM

r555 I think that comment was right before he suggested wrestling each other to the ground. There's clearly a highly sexual component to Tom's threat/compliments. To a young person like Greg, he might buy that Tom is being honest when he says "just kidding!" but adults can see he only says that after he went too far.

I also think Adrien Brody's character was trying to cause Logan to collapse or worse on purpose. Maybe he thought creating a health event would make it easier for the other team to take over, as they are days away from a stockholders meeting

by Anonymousreply 556November 8, 2021 3:58 PM

Adrien Brody was very good as the "nice guy" who isn't nice, who likes to toy with people.

I am getting a bit bored by the show. Just how many episodes can be about the same goddamn thing?

by Anonymousreply 557November 9, 2021 2:59 PM

The power matrons that were Cherry Jones and Holly Hunter are missed but Adrien Brody was really good. I loved his faux-affability and taking revenge on Logan’s racism by taking him home the long way knowing the old fucker wouldn’t ask for a cart.

by Anonymousreply 558November 9, 2021 3:17 PM

Any idea where Joshua's private island compound was supposed to be? It was never mentioned, but Kendall and Logan had to take both helicopters and airplanes to get there. If the island was somewhere off Long Island, they wouldn't have needed the planes to get there. The island looked nothing like Maine, and the Bahamas/Bermuda are probably too far off for the Roys to get back in daylight. So maybe one of the Carolina coasts? (I suspect it was actually filmed on Long Island or nearby.)

Also, I had to laugh/wince. At the Joshua's beachside staff-catered lunch, he ate *one* bite of something, and the Roys ate nothing. No food even touched their plates. I hope the staff had a nice late-afternoon lunch once it was all carted back to the house. Rich people are the WORST.

Glad to see the shareholders meeting is next. While I wouldn't miss an episode, this season has been spinning its wheels more than a little.

by Anonymousreply 559November 9, 2021 6:40 PM

[quote] I also think Adrien Brody's character was trying to cause Logan to collapse or worse on purpose. Maybe he thought creating a health event would make it easier for the other team to take over, as they are days away from a stockholders meeting

I don't think that.

Josh was clearly on Logan's side when the whole thing started, as he made clear when he agreed with Logan the Beatles were a "good band" rather than the "great band" Kendall said they were. He wanted to see (genuinely) if Logan and Kendall were on the same side deep down and just acting out, or if it was such an irreconciliable split that it would be bad for him as a Waystar-Royco investor to stay with him, and he should support the Stewy-Sandy takeover. It's not clear whether he was fooled by the act Logan was putting on that he and Kendall were just acting out and really planned deep down to be on the same side (which at this point does not seem to be the actual case).

I think like all health nuts he assumed everyone else loves strenuous outdoor exercise, and since he seems pretty self-involved he didn't think about how hard the walk through the dunes would be for Logan. But once he realized Logan's health was in danger, his clear priority became getting Logan medical help, and he was clearly appalled when Kendall selfishly wanted to keep talking business with him. That's when he decided to go over to work with Stewy and Sandy--he knows Kendall is only out for himself, and he does not see Kendall alone as able to keep W-R afloat. Kendall lost sight of the big picture--he is so eager to bring his father down that he forgot he could lose W-R entirely.

by Anonymousreply 560November 9, 2021 7:01 PM

Per Adrien Brody:

"... he's toying with them. These are tests, right? It's pretty apparent that he is letting this meeting unfold and has a plan to, I guess, flush out the nonsense and see if this is just a charade or if there is a bond that exists. He's trying to break through by ratcheting up all the stakes.

...[But] even if Josh is alluding to being lost I'm sure he's very well versed with his property. He's not someone who can't get his way out of his own sprawling ranch. So I do feel like it's ratcheting up the stakes for them and seeing how things fall."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561November 9, 2021 7:05 PM

R559, it was supposed to be Montauk/East Hampton, where it was shot.

by Anonymousreply 562November 9, 2021 8:32 PM

The helicopters went to Westchester where the jets are parked/stored. The planes landed/took off from Montauk where there’s a landing strip.

by Anonymousreply 563November 9, 2021 8:33 PM

[bold]The Real Price of ‘Succession’: Kendall Roy’s War Room Apartment Now Selling for $23.3 Million[/bold]

HBO’s Emmy-winning drama series “Succession” centers on the family in charge of one of the world’s biggest media and entertainment conglomerates, but just how deep do the Roy family members’ pockets run? Robb Report confirms that Kendall Roy’s war room apartment is now on the market for a whopping $23.3 million, and that’s not even the apartment where Kendall (Jeremy Strong) lives. The war room belongs to Kendall’s ex-wife, Rava (Natalie Gold), and is one of the primary locations for the show’s current third season. It’s in this apartment where Kendall goes to evade the media and meet with lawyers and others to strategize against his father, Logan (Brian Cox).

Kendall’s war room is actually a 6,711-square-foot apartment titled Pavilion A that’s located in New York City’s Woolworth Building. Per Robb Report: “The property was built back in 1910, but was recently treated to a meticulous restoration. Located on the 29th floor, it comprises five bedrooms, four baths, and two powder rooms, making it perfect for a family of media moguls.”

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564November 9, 2021 8:53 PM

Shiv was quite beautiful in this episode. All her arch, coy facial expressions, very sexay.

by Anonymousreply 565November 10, 2021 1:45 AM

Is Tom going to fuck Cousin Greg???

by Anonymousreply 566November 10, 2021 1:56 AM

No, R566.

by Anonymousreply 567November 10, 2021 2:16 AM

[quote] It took them half of the first season to stop with the stammering and then the second season was marked by "uh huhs."

And at no point it did occur to you that it's by design to create a more naturalistic style?

by Anonymousreply 568November 10, 2021 4:15 AM

I loved it when Shiv spat into Kendall’s notebook. So unexpected.

by Anonymousreply 569November 10, 2021 2:31 PM

Thanks, R563, for the transit logistics lessons!

by Anonymousreply 570November 10, 2021 7:04 PM

I remember they were shooting the Shareholder Meeting stuff at the Marriott Marquis back in February. That will be fun to watch.

by Anonymousreply 571November 10, 2021 9:04 PM

[QUOTE] And at no point it did occur to you that it's by design to create a more naturalistic style?

If the "naturalistic style" is so obvious to be distracting, then it's not naturalistic. The dialogue on Peep Show and The Thick of It was far more natural and revealed more about the characters.

by Anonymousreply 572December 4, 2021 8:27 AM

What a large ass that redhead has.

by Anonymousreply 573December 13, 2021 4:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!