Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

One of DL's favorite murder cases gets new podcast: The Murder of Robert Wone

I don't think anyone's mentioned this. Audible released a podcast a couple weeks ago about the case.

EXCLUSIVE: Amazon’s Audible is launching a podcast documentary series about the unsolved murder of Washington D.C. attorney Robert Wone.

AYR Media, founded by veteran producer and development executive Aliza Rosen, is producing eight-part series The Murder of Robert Wone as part of its overall deal with the audio service.

The series, which launches on September 23, is narrated by writer and true crime junkie H. Alan Scott and executive produced by Rosen.

On August 2, 2006, when EMTs and police arrive at a townhouse in D.C.’s affluent Dupont Circle neighborhood, they walk into an eerie scene. Three men in white bathrobes – prominent D.C. attorney and LGBTQ activist Joseph Price; his partner, marketing executive Victor Zaborsky; and a third man involved in their relationship, Dylan Ward – sit calmly together, all appearing to be freshly showered. Their visitor for the evening, a close friend named Robert Wone – who is straight, newly married and not part of the aforementioned relationship – lies stabbed to death in their guest bedroom. A knife, allegedly used to kill Wone, is on the nightstand. The bedsheets beneath him are bizarrely clean.

All three robe-clad residents claim an intruder broke into their townhouse, took one of their kitchen knives, went upstairs, stabbed Wone to death, and then ran off without stealing any valuables from Wone or their home. The investigation that follows sparks questions of sexual assault and uncovers evidence of BDSM.

In 2006, at a time when gay marriage is illegal and polyamory is taboo, the intimate details of Price, Zaborsky and Ward’s relationship dominate headlines for weeks, as law enforcement, the media and the general public perpetuate a social stigma that may have skewed the investigation and prevented justice from being served.

“This is the type of case that the term ‘stranger than fiction’ was created for,” said Rosen. “The setting and characters couldn’t be more striking, and at every turn the story gets weirder, and the stakes get higher, while the investigation becomes more opaque. It’s a cold case that deserves more attention, and Robert Wone’s family deserves answers. We look forward to bringing it to Audible.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2023 7:01 AM

Amazon link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 7, 2021 12:20 AM

[quote]On May 17, 2010, three Dupont Circle residents will go on trial in connection with the stabbing murder of their longtime friend, Robert Wone.

[quote]At midnight on August 2, 2006, Robert was found stabbed to death in their home at 1509 Swann Street, NW.

The bozo who thinks 17th Street isn't in Dupont Circle is really going to lose his shit. The Swann Street address is farther both east and west than the Corcoran Street Safeway.

by Anonymousreply 2October 7, 2021 12:34 AM

Are they going to finally admit that Robert Wone was deep in the closet after all these years?

by Anonymousreply 3October 7, 2021 1:23 AM

Why does that matter, R3?

by Anonymousreply 4October 8, 2021 2:43 PM

Thanks OP. Podcast sounds interesting. Is there already a thread on this crime? Could someone please post related thread so we can catch up? I'm curious but don't want to pay for podcast or take the time to listen to it.

by Anonymousreply 5October 9, 2021 1:59 AM

There are many, and I'd forgotten that DL threads used to be 900 posts long.

From when it happened:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 9, 2021 2:03 AM

Continued

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 9, 2021 2:04 AM

R6 and R7 Thank you! That should be some good reading. Much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 8October 9, 2021 2:05 AM

And more

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 9, 2021 2:05 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 9, 2021 2:05 AM

A blog that tracked the case

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 9, 2021 2:06 AM

I can't find it on the Audible App.

by Anonymousreply 12October 9, 2021 2:29 AM

That's weird. I don't have the app, but it is listed on the Audible website.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 9, 2021 2:56 AM

R4: it matters because *truth* matters.

Also: it would help shed light on the whole murky situation, and that maybe Robert was the victim of a voluntary BDSM sex game gone horribly wrong

by Anonymousreply 14October 9, 2021 8:58 AM

R3/R14, The truth is, Wone had to be up early the next day and didn't want to backtrack all the way back home. He asked to spend that night at a (female) friend's place, but she declined. The DuPont circle trio were his second option.

I was obsessed with this case back in the day (on Towleroad). I wish his wife peace. I wish Hell for the fucker(s) who murdered him and their enablers who were all there that night and know exactly what happened.

by Anonymousreply 15October 9, 2021 9:18 AM

We had a couple of really good threads on this that got deleted back in the day, not sure that we ever knew WHY they got deleted, but they did. The ones that were finally left alone are good and have all the same info, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 16October 9, 2021 9:57 AM

Wone was not a closet case r3. He was drugged, raped, and murdered by three sick fucks.

by Anonymousreply 17October 9, 2021 11:01 AM

[quote]We had a couple of really good threads on this that got deleted back in the day, not sure that we ever knew WHY they got deleted, but they did.

Probably the same reason the Luka Magnotta thread did. Someone knew something.

by Anonymousreply 18October 9, 2021 12:41 PM

[quote]He asked to spend that night at a (female) friend's place, but she declined. The DuPont circle trio were his second option.

She didn't decline. Wone emailed the woman and Price at the same time and Price replied first.

by Anonymousreply 19October 9, 2021 2:01 PM

R3, R14, R19, that's not true.

[quote]He knew that the class and meetings would run into the late night hours, so to avoid driving home that evening (he and Katherine lived roughly 17 to 18 miles from his work office) he thought it would be a better idea to stay the night at a friend’s house within the city. He first contacted a female friend to ask her if he could stay the night, but she said he could not. He then emailed his college friend Joe Price. Robert had never stayed at Joe’s home before but they had kept in contact over the years and remained friends

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 9, 2021 2:15 PM

That's wrong. He lived an hour out of town and didn't want his wife to have to drive to the train station to pick him up pick him up at 1 or 2 in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 21October 9, 2021 2:20 PM

Yet another source, R3, R14, R19, that relays he asked female friend first if he could spend the night and she declined:

[quote]After talking it over with Katherine, he concludes it would be better for him to stay the night in D.C. First, he asks a female friend if he can stay the night with her. She declines. Then he asks Joseph, who readily agrees to let him stay the night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 9, 2021 2:26 PM

I thought Joseph was out of town at an advertising conference and showed up late that afternoon, having come home a day early without telling anybody.

by Anonymousreply 23October 9, 2021 2:29 PM

This looks interesting but it’s behind the Audible paywall. The problem with podcasts is they’re getting into exclusive content you have to subscribe to hear. Audible is $8. I’ve downloaded and paid for the Stitcher and Spotify apps previously for other podcasts. Irritating. I’d be fine with commercials if the content were free.

by Anonymousreply 24October 9, 2021 2:38 PM

It's not a very good podcast. The story is of course DL catnip, but the presentation isn't great.

by Anonymousreply 25October 9, 2021 10:53 PM

I really hope this case gets more attention. It's the type of case that I can imagine sending an audience down rabbit holes and getting invested in finding out what happened. Maybe the extra attention will get some answers? I know we don't KNOW what happened exactly, but I guess I feel so strongly that it had to have been the guys in the house (even if all didn't kill him, all would know what happened, I imagine) and it is upsetting knowing they got away with it if so.

by Anonymousreply 26January 9, 2022 5:56 AM

Did the FBI check small, foreign factions? They can be up to some kinky shit.

by Anonymousreply 27January 9, 2022 6:54 AM

He was in the house for such a short time before it happened. It's such a weird story! Really makes me feel sad for him though. I was listening to a podcast on this and they played the audio of the 911 call that Victor made. He seemed to be vacillating between hysteria and almost emotionless calm.

by Anonymousreply 28January 9, 2022 7:00 AM

Advertisement...

by Anonymousreply 29January 9, 2022 9:06 AM

so did anyone watch the podcast? what was it like? any good? is it free?

by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2022 10:11 AM

Here is a free podcast. FF to the 8 minute mark to get past the initial blather between hosts. It's unreal that the monsters to tortured and murdered Wone are still walking around free. There had to be some sort of payoff to cover up this crime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 23, 2022 4:30 PM

I wonder where they are now. Shocking that three people have slipped up. Was it consensual BDSM gone wrong? The cops were idiots.

by Anonymousreply 32November 26, 2023 6:57 AM

I mean - how much do hotels cost?

by Anonymousreply 33November 26, 2023 7:01 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!