Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

He's back bitches: Russell T Davies returns as Doctor Who showrunner

This really makes my day. Of the modern Who showrunners he was my favorite. Now I'm really looking forward to the new seasons. Icing on the cake would be to bring back Eccleston (if they reconciled) or convince Whittaker to stay on (just to show how it's done.)

Looking forward to more emotions and farting aliens!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 31, 2022 6:19 PM

WTF! Hard pass on this shit thread!

by Anonymousreply 1September 25, 2021 12:28 AM

Two unwatchable Doctors in a row is enough. Raise the Titanic !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 25, 2021 12:32 AM

I am very excited that he's returning, and I agree that it would be great to have Whittaker stay on so she could have a chance to play the character with a decent show runner. I am hoping that the serialized upcoming season will give Whittaker better opportunities with the character, but I'm not optimistic. I do hope that Davies will avoid some of his tendencies toward cheesiness that sometimes came to the fore during his original run. The farting Slitheen, come to mind. I do love the name of their planet, though, Raxacoricofallapatorius

R2, I didn't love Twelve, but I think Heaven Sent was one of the best episodes of the modern series.

by Anonymousreply 3September 25, 2021 12:39 AM

Sure, why not. Maybe they can get Billie to come back too.

by Anonymousreply 4September 25, 2021 12:40 AM

I’m not a fan of the show but I know someone who is and he’s absolutely over the moon about this news.

by Anonymousreply 5September 25, 2021 12:47 AM

[quote]Looking forward to more emotions and farting aliens!

I miss Blon Fel-Fotch Passameer-Day Slitheen.

She should have rehatched by now...

by Anonymousreply 6September 25, 2021 12:56 AM

Yawn

by Anonymousreply 7September 25, 2021 1:03 AM

As someone else tweeted, we aren’t getting the guy who wrote doctor who series 1-4, we are getting the guy who wrote Its A Sin, Years and Years.

Also Bad Wolf Productions are the team behind new The Golden Compass tv series which is cinematically beautiful.

This should be epic.

by Anonymousreply 8September 25, 2021 5:16 AM

I liked Years and Years, and I like His Dark Materials. I haven't watched It's a Sin.

by Anonymousreply 9September 25, 2021 2:39 PM

The next Doctor MUST be a Black Trans Person!

Casting a white actor will be LITERAL VIOLENCE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 25, 2021 2:56 PM

Team Eccleston

by Anonymousreply 11September 25, 2021 2:59 PM

RTD made entertaining, interesting episodes. He gave people reason to keep watching. Chinball was only interested in fucking up Who canon.

by Anonymousreply 12September 25, 2021 4:06 PM

Since Russel is coming back can we find a way to bring back Donna Noble? Let's shoot the dreary Yaz into a star somewhere and get Donna back on the Tardis. Also, more River Song, please.

by Anonymousreply 13September 25, 2021 4:19 PM

r13, YES!

by Anonymousreply 14September 25, 2021 4:20 PM

A year or two after Steven Moffat had taken over he mentioned something to the effect that the BBC was looking into making a DW movie, but "they did not consider the show be ready for it yet". I want to say the show is less ready than ever to branch out to a movie at this point. Maybe that's why they get RTD back, to get the franchise back on track for more. I am sure RTD had high demands to come back and the BBC probably grudgingly gave him whatever he wanted.

by Anonymousreply 15September 25, 2021 4:45 PM

R10 I think Rebecca Root would make a great transgender Doctor.

She's already part of the 'Whoniverse' after playing companion Tania Bell in the 'Big Finish' audio broadcasts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 25, 2021 5:07 PM

For the 50th Ani they did theatrical releasesof the big event.

by Anonymousreply 17September 25, 2021 7:49 PM

Davies is a real fan so it's good he is taking over. He tends to pull from past episodes.I hope he gives us the first black doctor or why not the first black gay doctor. I think Idris Elba would be good as the doctor.

by Anonymousreply 18September 25, 2021 9:42 PM

Idris Elba would be absolutely terrible (not that he'd do it). Totally the wrong sort of actor.

by Anonymousreply 19September 25, 2021 9:55 PM

Showrunner is a millennial word.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 25, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote] Idris Elba would be absolutely terrible (not that he'd do it). Totally the wrong sort of actor.

What do you mean by 'wrong'?

by Anonymousreply 21September 25, 2021 10:17 PM

The salary for playing The Doctor is under £250,000 ($340,000) per year. That includes 12/13 episodes and Christmas/New Year specials, It's less than £20,000 ($27,000) per episode with a pretty long shoot.

That pretty much excludes getting an established movie actor to take over the role. Idris Elba is out of the running.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 25, 2021 10:54 PM

Don't forget, R22, in addition to the fairly low pay, production is based in Wales. Various cast members over the years have talked about the difficulty of spending a large part of the year in Cardiff while filming.

by Anonymousreply 23September 25, 2021 10:59 PM

R23 If you live anywhere North of Birmingham it'd be quicker to fly to Italy or Spain than travel by car/train to Cardiff.

by Anonymousreply 24September 25, 2021 11:04 PM

This show is written down for children.

There's nothing sexy. There's NO sexy men showing flesh.

It's all done according the BBC Prisspot Rules.

This show's for children.

by Anonymousreply 25September 25, 2021 11:43 PM

"But Grandmother! What Big Teeth You Have"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26September 25, 2021 11:50 PM

I don’t think you realise how big of a shake up this will be. BBC Wales is no longer making the show now that Bad Wolf is taking it over. Chances are this will mean it’s no longer made in Wales. Bad Wolf Productions was founded by Julie Garner and Jane Trantor who were also executive producers of Who during the RTD era. RTD worked with Murray Gold as composer on Years and Years and Bad Wolf worked with Euros Lyn as director on His Dark Materials both of whom worked extensively on Who. So it’s extremely likely that all the original people will be bought back to Who. It will be interesting to see if Phil Collinson will be brought back on board. He worked with RTD on Who and Y&Y as a Producer.

I Think this will be the start of a fully fledged expanded universe of Who. That has always been Russel’s dream and often said he was 10 years too early during his original Who run. When you see what Disney are doing with Marvel and Star Wars, Russel has always wanted that for Who. That’s where the TV landscape is at now. BBC were never going to be able to match that sort of vision in house so hence why it’s been given back to RTD and Bad Wolf. He must have a HUGE vision for the show /franchise for BBC to agree to out source the show.

by Anonymousreply 27September 26, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote] a fully fledged expanded universe

Sufficiently expanded to include sexy men?

by Anonymousreply 28September 26, 2021 12:47 AM

Not every show needs nudity and sex. Just because a show is written to be enjoyed by all ages (though there have been quite a few episodes not suitable for small children) doesn't mean it is written for children. I love the show, it has never occurred to me while watching that it would be better if the Doctor got his kit off. That's what Torchwood was for - and let's bring that back too, though Barrowman's free willy might prevent that.

Most of the actors who stay clothed on Doctor Who have appeared on other shows in various stages of undress.

by Anonymousreply 29September 26, 2021 12:52 AM

Lyn and Collinson are both gay, right? Are Gardner and Tranter, too? I know, Gardner is married with a kid. But she is giving me a pretty solid lesbian vibe. And the husband screams gay to me. Am I just stereotyping? This new/old Doctor Who production looks like an enormous queer powerhouse. How can the show not be anything but fabulous?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 26, 2021 12:52 AM

Collinson is gay yes. He’s daddy af.

I think this is the dawn of a new golden era for the Who Universe.

by Anonymousreply 31September 26, 2021 5:40 AM

I hope so. Jodie, love ya girl, but nah.

Not your fault though.

by Anonymousreply 32September 26, 2021 5:55 AM

Even my 12 and 13 years old niece and nephew have grown out of this show.

by Anonymousreply 33September 26, 2021 8:24 AM

R10 excuse you, BIPOC trans! Literal violence! Do better!

by Anonymousreply 34September 26, 2021 9:20 AM

FANTASTIC NEWS. Chibnall has been a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 35September 26, 2021 10:27 AM

I wish I could believe that they are going to knock off all the woke shit that has taken over DW as well as discard the shitty Timelord origin, but I don't see that happening.

The next Doctor will be trans or gay or some other thing.

by Anonymousreply 36September 26, 2021 10:38 AM

[quote]The next Doctor will be trans or gay or some other thing.

You're a gay man on a gay board and you'd have a problem if Doctor Who were ... gay?

[quote]I wish I could believe that they are going to knock off all the woke shit that has take

Don't bother answering.

by Anonymousreply 37September 26, 2021 11:01 AM

R37 I'd have a problem if the new DW were gay JUST BECAUSE of being gay.

Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 38September 26, 2021 11:05 AM

[quote] The next Doctor will be trans or gay or some other thing.

The new Doctor must be super-Woke. They must be Conjoined-Twins-of-Color. Or perhaps Conjoined-Twins-from-Hungary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 26, 2021 11:28 AM

[quote] He's back bitches: Russell T Davies returns as Doctor Who showrunner

Please don't address me as a 'bitch', OP.

by Anonymousreply 40September 26, 2021 12:52 PM

The Doctor never has relationships, so whether s/he's gay or straight isn't really an issue. The closest it ever got was with David Tennant and Billie Piper, who were also the most attractive doctor/companion combo in history, and they didn't even kiss. During the Tennant era both Captain Jack and Shakespeare came on to the Doctor, who was flattered but noncommittal, as he also would be if a woman came on to him. It is, as has been pointed out, fundamentally a kids' show.

Davies always has little "you should be tolerant of everybody" messages embedded everywhere, though. No reason to suppose that will stop.

by Anonymousreply 41September 26, 2021 1:18 PM

[quote] Please don't address me as a 'bitch', OP.

If the shoe doesn't fit get the fuck out of my thread. This thread is just for bitches.

by Anonymousreply 42September 26, 2021 1:28 PM

This is great news. They should do a reboot, a la the ending of "Newhart," by means of which the Moffatt era becomes a temporal anomaly or dead end that never really existed.

by Anonymousreply 43September 26, 2021 3:02 PM

I don't actually hate the Timeless Child story. Maybe it is just that without it Chibnall's era is just aimless wandering with no real point to it. Earlier incarnations wrangled with the Time Lords, The Master, the Time Lords, Cybermen, etc... Daleks have barely appeared with the 13th Doctor, and the only reason the Master has appeared is the Timeless Child storyline. Nothing is canon on Doctor Who, so the Timeless Child can be undone if needed, it was The Master who revealed it, after all, so it could all just be an elaborate deception. I am willing to ride out the story in series 13 to see where it goes. Hopefully it will give Whittaker something to define her era aside from being a woman. She deserves better than what she has gotten so far during her tenure as the Doctor. Hopefully, with the departure of two of her companions she will stop referring to them as Fam - that was really irritating.

by Anonymousreply 44September 26, 2021 3:23 PM

I don't mind the Timeless Child story either. My two gripes with it: I hate the option that they now can pull a Doctor-of-the-week out of the hat. It would be so arbitrary. The way I understand the story, there is an unknown number of previous Doctors now. I may have misunderstood. That's my second gripe: I am not sure I fully understand the story. I feel like it wasn't explained right. (Or maybe I am just stupid. That's always possible...)

Both of my gripes could be fixed with an episode that clarifies it for me. And going forward it's just about how you handle this background. A good story is a good story if you tell it well. The premise can be ludicrous as long as you make it somehow relatable to me.

by Anonymousreply 45September 26, 2021 4:17 PM

[quote] Hopefully, with the departure of two of her companions she will stop referring to them as Fam - that was really irritating.

I’ve mentioned that on DL before. That annoyed me to no end.

by Anonymousreply 46September 26, 2021 4:17 PM

[quote] They should do a reboot, a la the ending of "Newhart,"

Actually that is a great idea. Bob Newhart would make a very interesting Doctor. He'd be fumbling with the thingie all the time and need his Gen Zer companion's help. Think of the hijinks - or should that be hijinx? Just nicking out of their pickle their before the Daleks and Cybermen break down the door.

We Seniors demand our representation.

by Anonymousreply 47September 26, 2021 4:32 PM

Just erase the whole Timeless Child bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 48September 26, 2021 4:34 PM

That actually leads me to my other complaint with the 13th Doctor - she has too many companions, and they aren't interesting. I think one companion works best, a maximum of two companions. Amy and Rory were a decent pair. Occasional drop ins like Captain Jack and River Song definitely add to the story, without being regular companions. Maybe they could have focused on an interesting, developed companion for 13, rather than three drippy companions. I know that Chibnall wanted a clean slate, but they should have kept Bill around. She was more interesting, and could have used a longer run as a companion.

by Anonymousreply 49September 26, 2021 4:38 PM

They'll just have Clara Oswald turn out to have been the 14th Doctor all along. She and River Song can have a baby named Stream Diddy who will grow up to be Susan Foreman.

by Anonymousreply 50September 26, 2021 4:43 PM

[quote]The Doctor never has relationships, so whether s/he's gay or straight isn't really an issue. The closest it ever got was with David Tennant and Billie Piper, who were also the most attractive doctor/companion combo in history, and they didn't even kiss.

You must have missed the River Song era.

Not only did they kiss multiple times, not only was she in multiple episodes across multiple eras but she has definitely been established as, "The Doctor's Wife" and they were married in, "The Wedding of River Song."

But every Doctor is slightly different. They all have different mannerisms, tastes, moods. There's no reason to think it wouldn't extend elsewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 26, 2021 7:11 PM

Actually the Doctor and Rose did get together, just with a clone of the Doctor who aged normally and Rose in another universe. It was the same Doctor, same mind, same feelings, just one life to live, which is why the Doctor could never be with Rose because he would out live her. The odd thing is , the Library. That was Tennant's Doctor meeting River Song, who ended up dying, being kept alive in the library with her fellow archeologists...but when would that have been in the Doctor's timleine. If River married Capaldi's Doctor - when wuld this have been - after Jodi became the doctor?

by Anonymousreply 52September 26, 2021 10:54 PM

Jodi was never the Doctor, just another repeat of "The Next Doctor", the same for The Master, who is of course still actually Missy.

Since we're going to have a gay Doctor, let's have him be an underwear model with low-rise cargo pants as his outfit - got to have plenty of pockets. I'd say go shirtless, but we can give him a tight sheer shirt if it will make everyone happy.

Let's see if we can make the sonic more obviously a vibrating sex toy.

by Anonymousreply 53September 26, 2021 10:59 PM

r53 is in an entirely different universe already.

by Anonymousreply 54September 26, 2021 11:54 PM

R54 Better than the shitshow in ours.

by Anonymousreply 55September 26, 2021 11:56 PM

[quote]It was the same Doctor, same mind, same feelings, just one life to live, which is why the Doctor could never be with Rose because he would out live her.

Technically, it's not the Doctor who is currently *THE* Doctor. On the surface, it was just a way to appease fans who wouldn't move on without Rose being with the Doctor in some form.

[quote]The odd thing is , the Library. That was Tennant's Doctor meeting River Song, who ended up dying, being kept alive in the library with her fellow archeologists...but when would that have been in the Doctor's timeline.

You had to watch Moffat's entire run to see their story played out.

River Song/Melody Pond told us that the problem was they were meeting backwards. She's moving in one direction. He's moving in the other.

The relationship ends when she meets Tennant's Doctor (10) and she ends up in the Library.

The relationship's middle was when she met Matt Smith's Doctor (11). That was when they actually got married.

The relationship started when she met Capaldi's Doctor (12).

[quote]If River married Capaldi's Doctor - when wuld this have been - after Jodi became the doctor?

She dated Capaldi's, she married Matt Smith's, she dies with Tennant's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56September 27, 2021 12:41 AM

That River Song concept was better on paper than in execution. To me it became a convoluted mess. Moffat didn't know when to stop milking this story. Same with the weeping angels. Better just watch the Blink episode and skip the Amy Pond sequel.

by Anonymousreply 57September 27, 2021 12:55 AM

You're so wrong R57. The convoluted arcs are a lot of what I love from the Davies and Moffat eras.

by Anonymousreply 58September 27, 2021 12:58 AM

[quote] If the shoe doesn't fit get the fuck out of my thread. This thread is just for bitches.

I judge this thread to be insufficiently bitchy

by Anonymousreply 59September 27, 2021 12:59 AM

R57 I recall despising River Song early on, she seemed like such a Mary Sue. She grew on me, though. I agree that the idea basically became and excuse to go back to the well over and over, perhaps a little longer than would have been best. On the whole, though, I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 60September 27, 2021 1:04 AM

[quote] skip the Amy Pond sequel

No. Watch that episode for River's escape from the Starship and Amy's teasing the Doctor's behavior towards River. 𝑂𝑜ℎ, 𝐷𝑜𝑐𝑡𝑜𝑟, 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑠𝑜𝑛𝑖𝑐𝑘𝑒𝑑 ℎ𝑒𝑟! Then you can skip the rest.

by Anonymousreply 61September 27, 2021 1:07 AM

Amy Williams

by Anonymousreply 62September 27, 2021 1:12 AM

R62 Sounds like a geography teacher.

by Anonymousreply 63September 27, 2021 1:14 AM

Are any of you friends of Oodkind?

by Anonymousreply 64September 27, 2021 1:20 AM

R64, this sounds like a bizarre kind of furry cult.

by Anonymousreply 65September 27, 2021 3:55 AM

They need to bring back those scary cybermen. Almost as scary as cylons though not quite.

If I watch sci fi I want to be scared.

by Anonymousreply 66September 27, 2021 4:06 AM

If I watch sci fi I want to think and be amused. Real life is scary enough.

by Anonymousreply 67September 27, 2021 4:08 AM

R25: Torchwood was the adult equivalent (but they screwed that up with the Gwen show later😒).

I want another male doctor. My favorites were Tennant and Smith.

by Anonymousreply 68September 27, 2021 4:26 AM

That whole River Song storyline was just awful.

by Anonymousreply 69September 27, 2021 4:26 AM

Yes R65 this is a cult. Anoraks and Whovians are both cults.

by Anonymousreply 70September 27, 2021 4:34 AM

Tennant is the runner-up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71September 27, 2021 5:37 AM

Smith or Tennant were both ok. I was surprised to find myself liking Capaldi by the end.

Companions, eh. I didn't like the whole "escalation" thing that seemed to be happening. I didn't have anything against Rose, but the idea of a human companion actually being in a relationship with TD just didn't work for me. Rose, of course, became a god, so after her we had Donna who of course had to become the Doctor Donna and then get erased so that TD could grieve over her. Then of course there were the Ponds, who were the closest companions EVER to TD, who then gets so bitter over their loss that he withdraws. Here comes Clara, she'll be even more dear to the TD, to the point where he is willing to endanger all of time to resurrect her, not to mention hanging out through billions of torturous deaths. Clara, of course, existed in countless fragments along TD's whole timeline, seeing all his versions. Except the War Doctor of course, who apparently never needed saving from the GI (?), and apparently the unknown number of "previous" incarnations given to us by Jackass Chibnall.

I wonder who the next BEST MOST MISSED COMPANION EVER will be?

by Anonymousreply 72September 27, 2021 6:10 AM

[quote] BEST MOST MISSED COMPANION EVER

Roses' jealousy and insecurity shows she instinctively recognizes the champion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73September 27, 2021 6:22 AM

[quote]Companions, eh. I didn't like the whole "escalation" thing that seemed to be happening.

I remember the series used to have that whole thing where every companion had to have a nick name.

Rose Tyler: The Bad Wolf

Martha Jones: The Girl Who Walked the Earth

Donna Noble: The Most Important Woman in the Universe

Amy Pond: The Girl Who Waited

Rory Williams: The Last Centurion

Clara Oswald: The Impossible Girl

Bill Potts: The First Cyberman

Now it's just, those random people that the Doctor travels around with whose names I just learned after multiple seasons?

by Anonymousreply 74September 27, 2021 6:35 AM

I really liked Martha as a companion. Wish they would bring her back.

by Anonymousreply 75September 27, 2021 6:42 AM

She's got a hit US tv show!

by Anonymousreply 76September 27, 2021 6:44 AM

[quote] they screwed that up with the Gwen show later

Did I miss a spin off? Or do you mean that Gwen became overexposed in later seasons (which I may agree with. It didn't bother me much though.)?

by Anonymousreply 77September 27, 2021 12:04 PM

R73 Yes, indeed. It was amusing the see Tennant talking about how starstruck he was to work with her. Yes, they gadgetted her up for her own show, but Sarah was never some grand cosmic thing. She was smart, strong, and full of human frailties.

She did meet Tegan in The Five Doctors - I always thought they'd get on well.

by Anonymousreply 78September 27, 2021 9:50 PM

David Tennant and Catherine Tate reunited . . . and it feels so goooood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79September 27, 2021 10:19 PM

Remember David Tennant as the Dr., then saw a nude pic of him, not very impressive.

by Anonymousreply 80September 27, 2021 10:28 PM

I hope Tennant/Tate fans have seen them in Much Ado About Nothing. It's available on digitaltheatre.com. It's very funny.

by Anonymousreply 81September 28, 2021 1:16 AM

More people should see the Tate, Barrowman and Tennant goodbye tribute when Davies left Doctor Who

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82September 28, 2021 1:27 AM

That's hilarious, r82. Do you know who wrote this?

by Anonymousreply 83September 28, 2021 1:46 AM

No clue who wrote this version but "Let's Do It" was a big part of Catherine's act before Doctor Who.

by Anonymousreply 84September 28, 2021 1:51 AM

It says on the link who wrote it.

by Anonymousreply 85September 28, 2021 1:58 AM

Have Eccleston and RTD buried the hatchet by now?

I remember vaguely that Eccleston felt that Davies didn't protect him as a showrunner as he should have. Not really sure what that means. Maybe he had Barrowman in his pants and Davies didn't do anything about it. And then I think Davies acknowledged that something went wrong. Does anybody have more about this? Tennant gets most of the credit for making New Who the success it became. But Eccleston was really fantastic in his one year. I still cannot make up my mind if he is my favorite Doctor or Tennant.

by Anonymousreply 86September 28, 2021 1:59 AM

Eccleston was the Doctor Who who has looked most like he might have been an actual alien. The earlier ones who went for "weird" just looked like the eccentric leaders of tiny British political parties.

by Anonymousreply 87September 28, 2021 2:15 AM

I liked Eccleston. He was appropriately weird but likable. I never saw Doctor Who before that reincarnation. I thought it was a lot of campy fun.

by Anonymousreply 88September 28, 2021 2:18 AM

[quote]I remember vaguely that Eccleston felt that Davies didn't protect him as a showrunner as he should have.

He said the first season was horribly produced and chaotic. They worked insane hours and after a certain point he'd just quit working so everyone could go home. Then they changed things up and they'd start shooting Billie Piper's scenes then.

He said the directors and producers were abusive and the problem was from the top down. There were also issues with safety. He was allegedly in negotiations to come back for an appearance in the 50th special but he bailed.

But he's still proud to have played the role.

by Anonymousreply 89September 28, 2021 2:56 AM

Olly Alexander has stated that he won't be the next Doctor. Even though I'm sure Russell would love him to do it. He's obsessed with Olly (named one of his shows after Olly's band Years & Years and cast him as lead in It's A Sin). I wonder if Callum Scott Howells is available?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90September 28, 2021 9:45 AM

Russell T Davies said back in 2010 if he was carrying on he would have cast Russell Tovey to replace David Tennant.

But I don't think there's any way it's going to be a white man though.

Chibnall has been a total disaster, uninteresting characters and whole Timeless Child bullshit was nearly the end for me, and I've been a fan since the 1970s. One of the best things about the Rose episode was it looked at things that went wrong with the Paul McGann TV Movie and avoided them. I hope Russell does the same with Chibnall's crap and either ignores it or reverses it.

by Anonymousreply 91September 29, 2021 3:00 PM

If its going to be a female again for the next doctor, Id be happy with TNia Miller as the Doctor but who ever the next Doctor is, id like Lydia West as the companion

by Anonymousreply 92September 29, 2021 9:19 PM

Oh, man, yes! T'Nia Miller would be an incredible Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 93September 29, 2021 11:08 PM

Nikki Amuka-Bird would also make a great Doctor

by Anonymousreply 94September 29, 2021 11:12 PM

Could T'Nia Miller even be the Doctor if she already is another Time Lord?

by Anonymousreply 95September 30, 2021 12:07 AM

It didn't stop Maxil looking like the 6th Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 96September 30, 2021 9:49 AM

I still want the sonic as a stylus in Sumer, a wand in Arthur's court, and a pencil for our next blatino musclebear doctor.

We'd have random tricks of the week asking stupid questions to set up exposition before exiting stage right. We'd have a fluffy CGI K-9 for poop jokes. We'd have sniffy old queens passing judgement, but forgiving all because of those bulging thighs and plump ass.

by Anonymousreply 97October 2, 2021 2:33 AM

he bite the bullti with "years and Years'

by Anonymousreply 98October 2, 2021 2:34 AM

[quote] Actually the Doctor and Rose did get together, just with a clone of the Doctor who aged normally and Rose in another universe. It was the same Doctor, same mind, same feelings, just one life to live

Wasn’t it a human/Time Lord hybrid (part Doctor, part Donna), rather than a clone of the Doctor? So technically, not the same Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 99October 3, 2021 6:30 AM

R99 is right, Rose wound up with the Human/Time Lord Meta-Crisis Doctor, who was created when Donna Noble touched the 10th Doctor's severed hand. It was a two-way Human/Time Lord Meta-Crisis, though, and also gave Donna some Time Lord DNA, causing her to become the DoctorDonna. It would have killed her, and that is why the Doctor had to wipe her memory.

I am very excited for RTD to return.

by Anonymousreply 100October 3, 2021 1:02 PM

I knew that, but it's still not the actual Doctor. The actual Doctor did not have any kind of physical relationship with Rose, much as he loved her.

I stopped watching two episodes into Steven Moffat's reign out of disgust, so yes, I did miss the River Song arc.

by Anonymousreply 101October 3, 2021 1:07 PM

The transition when Moffat took over was rough, but in the long run I found the Eleventh Doctor's tenure really enjoyable with the serialized elements revolving around The Silence, River Song, and the crack in the universe all tying his series together with The Name of the Doctor, The Day of the Doctor, and The Time of the Doctor.

I find the transitions between show runners more difficult that the transition between Doctors and companions. When the show-runner leaves we tend to lose both The Doctor and his companions at the same time. It is difficult to come back to the show, and none of the characters are there. Sure, it's still the Doctor, but not the same Doctor. At least when the 10th and 12th Doctors arrived their companions were still around, and were able to reflect the viewers feeling that it was difficult to adjust to the change. When Rose and Martha left 10 was still around, and he even hung around for a bit after losing Donna Noble. After Clara left 12 was still there, and found Bill. When it was time for 11 and 13 their companions left too, so the viewer is left feeling - who are these people, and why am I watching this when every character has left? I can't think of another non-anthology show where the new season starts and every character is new.

by Anonymousreply 102October 3, 2021 2:40 PM

I really, really, really wanted to enjoy Jodi as The Doctor. I loved the beginning of the series, but then nothin seemed to 'click'... I do hope there's a retcon of sorts and Jodi can shine... but never utter the word "fam" again, please - far too twee by half.

David Tenant was my favorite Doctor. The endless special storylines for Rory and Clara became so convoluted, I never understood the point (and Matt Smith? gag). Capaldi's storylines were exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 103October 3, 2021 3:14 PM

R103 The "retcon" needs to toss Jodi out with the rest of it.

by Anonymousreply 104October 4, 2021 1:05 AM

[quote] ITV confirms John Barrowman axed from Dancing on Ice after sexual misconduct claims resurfaced

If ITV won't take him back I doubt woke BBC will either. So I guess no more Captain Jack

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105October 4, 2021 3:42 AM

If he hasn't grown up by 54, it's high time he got some comeuppance.

by Anonymousreply 106October 4, 2021 3:45 AM

I hate looking at this thread. I’m like ‘So fucking what?’ Some ugly middle-aged flamer

by Anonymousreply 107October 4, 2021 3:48 AM

R77: Yep! Gwen became too overexposed. Captain Jack was sidelined. No need for a spinoff since TW became her show.

I love the Doctor Who weeping angel episodes! They were creepy AF (esp. Blink!) and I am reminded of them every time I see a statue.

I enjoy the quirky "Santa" in Last Christmas with Cipaldi also. I watch it every December.

by Anonymousreply 108October 4, 2021 11:55 PM

Blink has been voted the best Who episode of all time, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 109October 5, 2021 1:00 AM

R109 I'd have gone for 'The Empty Child' in season 1 over that, even though Steven Moffat wrote it.

Probably because it brings Capt. Jack in though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 5, 2021 2:18 AM

Sarah Jane coming back.

by Anonymousreply 111October 5, 2021 3:07 AM

Do you think Sarah Jane still has adventures in some time line if you know what I mean? (Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.)

by Anonymousreply 112October 5, 2021 3:17 AM

[quote] Actually that is a great idea. Bob Newhart would make a very interesting Doctor. He'd be fumbling with the thingie all the time and need his Gen Zer companion's help. Think of the hijinks - or should that be hijinx? Just nicking out of their pickle their before the Daleks and Cybermen break down the door.

Bob Newhart of course is now too old for this shit, but let’s say… Martin Short? He could pull it off. He even already has the wardrobe down pat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113October 5, 2021 11:58 AM

Also I can’t be the only one hoping they bring back Murray Gold to score the soundtrack for the next series?

by Anonymousreply 114October 5, 2021 11:59 AM

I'd love to hear Murray Gold back - if they can afford him. I think the show suffered a lot from budget cuts and poor writing. It lost a lot of cachet. In the RTD years and the first Moffat years it had no problem to lure in big actor names. They are no longer interested being part of the show. Same is probably true behind the camera. Russell Davies may have enough cachet to lure them back to the show, including Gold. That man is really a genius.

by Anonymousreply 115October 5, 2021 12:21 PM

The posters suggesting Bob Newhart and Martin Short need to stop. The Doctor may be male, female, gay, a person of color, trans, etc. But above all, he/she/they must be British!

by Anonymousreply 116October 5, 2021 4:02 PM

Season 13 premieres on Halloween

by Anonymousreply 117October 10, 2021 12:00 PM

In the later part of the Moffatt run, they couldn’t afford new scores from Gold so they reused a LOT of his older stuff they already had the rights to.

With RTD back I fully expect the return of Gold.

by Anonymousreply 118October 10, 2021 7:05 PM

[quote]When it was time for 11 and 13 their companions left too, so the viewer is left feeling - who are these people, and why am I watching this when every character has left? I can't think of another non-anthology show where the new season starts and every character is new.

This is what I liked about the Moffat years. There was always a chance you could see the old companions again, living their lives. (Especially with Martha and Jack.) After those ended they pretty much perma wrote everyone out. Sure, Donna couldn't remember the Doctor but they did at least bring her back again as herself because the show remembered they were best friends.

Rory and Amy were timelocked and could never return and the Doctor could NEVER rescue them for some reason.

Then they pulled the reverse with Clara wiping The Doctor's memory so that he can never remember her. Since she was "made to save The Doctor" in every timeline and in every incarnation throughout all of history he can now never see her coming but knows he had a friend who existed at some point.

The Doctor thinks Bill is dead while she's flying around the universe as lesbian galactic water.

by Anonymousreply 119October 10, 2021 7:41 PM

*I meant Davies. WOW.

by Anonymousreply 120October 10, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote] lesbian galactic water

To be used where Astroglide won't work.

by Anonymousreply 121October 10, 2021 9:46 PM

Yup, and other than River Song, it is like 11 and 12 forget anyone they ever interacted with. Well, I guess Missy, but she's a Timelord as well. At least 13 recognized Jack. Not only that, but everyone on earth also forgot about the invasions, the Cybermen, the Daleks, and everything 10 did for them.

One of my favorite moments in all of NuWho is a throw away moment during The Poison Sky when The Doctor puts on a gas mask and says, "Are you my Mummy?" Calling back to The Empty Child with the 9th Doctor. With 11 through 13 it is like Rose, Martha, Donna, and everyone the Doctor knew other than River Song never existed.

by Anonymousreply 122October 10, 2021 11:00 PM

Callum Scott Howells at the recent Attitude Magazine Awards, demonstrating that he can wear any flashy and colorful outfit they design for the new Doctor quite well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123October 12, 2021 5:29 PM

[quote] I Think this will be the start of a fully fledged expanded universe of Who. That has always been Russel’s dream and often said he was 10 years too early during his original Who run. When you see what Disney are doing with Marvel and Star Wars, Russel has always wanted that for Who. That’s where the TV landscape is at now. BBC were never going to be able to match that sort of vision in house so hence why it’s been given back to RTD and Bad Wolf. He must have a HUGE vision for the show /franchise for BBC to agree to out source the show.

Sony is buying a majority stake in Bad Wolf with Sky/HBO keeping a minority stake. Sounds like DW is getting ready for big budget territory. The construction sounds a bit like the James Bond Franchise where the studio does not own the IP but serves as a provider for production and distribution.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124October 13, 2021 11:57 AM

Seeing what's happening in the world right now, I think it's time to rewatch RTD's "Years and Years". Brilliant, depressing and real.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 31, 2022 8:27 AM

TOO LATE. Damage is done. It's been so bad for too fucking long.

by Anonymousreply 126March 31, 2022 9:50 AM

Hard pass on Whittaker. Let's get away from the woke crap too and get back to how the show was before.

by Anonymousreply 127March 31, 2022 11:36 AM

No offense, but that sounds like Make America Great Again. Not in a political sense. But when you think back to the show's history I have to ask which 'years before' you want to go back to. All showrunners had such different takes on the concept. Personally, I love the RTD years, but others prefer Moffat. And when RTD was running it, so many preferred some of the classic seasons.

by Anonymousreply 128March 31, 2022 2:40 PM

I also hope that the Hugh Grant rumor is just that, a rumor. I get it that the BBC and RTD want to build the DW universe to a TV and movie franchise, so a big name makes sense. And yet, Hugh Grant as the Doctor doesn't really get me the chills.

by Anonymousreply 129March 31, 2022 2:42 PM

Sacha Diwan would have made a great Doctor, but they ruined that forever by horribly miscasting him as the Master.

The Doctor needs to be someone who can convincingly play someone who's a humanoid extraterrestrial who's thousands of years old, vastly more intelligent than any human, a fearless adventurer through time and space, a really fun person to hang out with, and someone you'd absolutely trust with anyone's life. Christopher Eccleston didn't quite fit the bill but he was likable and had Billie Piper boosting his ratings. I personally don't like David Tennant but he really owned the role, as did Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi. Jodie Whittaker was a failure of both her imagination and Chris Chibnall's. She was just Peter Pan in a Northern Soul costume.

by Anonymousreply 130March 31, 2022 4:02 PM

Perhaps it's time to put Doctor Who to rest for a while. The concept of a Who-verse was started (and failed) with Torchwood.

The Doctor had a good run and my opinion is that the best years were Eccelston and Tennant. After that, the series just became a convoluted mess with Clara, Amy, River Song and their even more complicated back stories.

by Anonymousreply 131March 31, 2022 4:32 PM

[quote] The concept of a Who-verse was started (and failed) with Torchwood.

I didn't think it failed. I liked Torchwood. It was a bit uneven, and taking it to the US in its last season didn't work at all. But I liked Children of Time a lot. And from what I heard, The Sarah Jane Adventures were quite successful within its target audience.

by Anonymousreply 132March 31, 2022 5:44 PM

For the most part, I enjoy the Doctor Who series. Chibnall's first season should've been "business as usual" with a female Doctor saving the day in the already established Who-Universe. Jodie Whittaker is fine. Every leading actor brings something different to the leading character.

by Anonymousreply 133March 31, 2022 6:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!