Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Years and Years new HBO show with Emma Thompson

Trump gets re-elected in 2020 and launches a nuclear missile

by Anonymousreply 53September 12, 2019 9:55 PM

Sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2019 4:39 AM

Anybody else watch this?

by Anonymousreply 2July 2, 2019 5:50 AM

I'm watching it right now. I'm at the end of the first episode. It seems like a spectacular idea, although I kinda wish an American version had been made, like the office and shameless had done.

by Anonymousreply 3July 3, 2019 4:14 AM

I just watched the first 2 episodes. Sickening yet amazing. Love seeing it from the European/UK point of view. Funny, scary, disturbing...really great so far. America has really become a stain on humanity.

by Anonymousreply 4July 3, 2019 5:03 AM

How many flops does Emma Thompson need? It's like she collects flops for fun... Men In Black Int'l , Late Night and now this mess. Nobody likes horsefaced Emma..

by Anonymousreply 5July 3, 2019 5:19 AM

It's really interesting and really makes you feel like life *could* end up like this (shortly!).

I am a massive Russell Tovey fan as well, so I love it. The end of the first episode where they all of sudden cut to him fucking that guy gave me immediate wood.

by Anonymousreply 6July 3, 2019 5:32 AM

Dino Fetscher needs more screentime in this.

by Anonymousreply 7July 3, 2019 5:37 AM

I’m digging this show. I like all of this family, and it’s scary as hell how this big world stuff suddenly affects everyday normal people....which is the point I guess.

by Anonymousreply 8July 3, 2019 6:26 AM

Being a bigoted cunt hasn't hurt Thompson's career. But that's part and parcel, innit?

by Anonymousreply 9July 3, 2019 6:29 AM

Already a thread or two.

by Anonymousreply 10July 3, 2019 6:47 AM

Dino NEVER gets enough screentime!

I want to make a film called "Dino Fetcher Tries on Shirts for Three Hours."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2019 7:05 AM

The first 2 episodes are riveting. Brilliant, scary and depressing but so watchable.

And the gayness and granny Anne Reid are additional pluses.

by Anonymousreply 12July 4, 2019 2:52 AM

When did Russell Tovey grow up? He is such a man in this.

I just love how out he's always been and how he continues to score the smartest best projects.

by Anonymousreply 13July 4, 2019 2:53 AM

Russell tovey’s french bulldog face is the worst part of an otherwise good show.

by Anonymousreply 14July 4, 2019 3:02 AM

Great show. Tasteful friends, who wants the grandmother’s home?

by Anonymousreply 15July 4, 2019 3:04 AM

Me, r15! Damn that’s a nice house. I predict the entire family has to live there over the years as the economy tanks and more and more jobs get replaced by AI.

by Anonymousreply 16July 4, 2019 3:17 AM

I agree with R14. There’s a smugness about Russell Tovey’s work now that he didn’t have when he was starting out. Plus he’s a bit of a wanker. I watched the first episode here in the UK, but the whole thing was too annoying.

by Anonymousreply 17July 4, 2019 4:24 AM

Tovey's "smugness" (on a face that's not conventionally handsome) is why I think he's so fucking hot. It all works for me.

by Anonymousreply 18July 4, 2019 5:21 AM

I see no smugness on Tovey's face, An out hot gay star who's never had to lie about himself.

by Anonymousreply 19July 4, 2019 2:56 PM

I love that most of Tovey's parts lately have been gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 20July 4, 2019 2:57 PM

And the "gayness" of the roles is taken for granted. That's the best thing.

by Anonymousreply 21July 4, 2019 3:17 PM

His jug ears TURN ME ON!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2019 11:03 PM

This show is great. It is definitely the scariest thing I've ever seen on television.

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2019 7:02 PM

Here's the main thread if you're interested in seeing more discussion, r23.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2019 7:06 PM

Thanks, R24. I appreciate it. I did a search and made it to a thread that took me to this current thread.

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2019 7:10 PM

Only SJWs (who act like they hate America, anyway) get off on shit like this. *eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2019 7:26 PM

I was really enjoying it but ep 4 just completely gutted me. I was snot crying and it wasn't pretty. I ended up reading about the last two episodes because I'm not sure I want to finish it now. Also, I HATE Russell Tovey as a human being but he was just wonderful in this.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2019 7:37 PM

I was crying too. I can't believe this series. I can't recommend this enough. I'm watching episode 5 now.

by Anonymousreply 28July 23, 2019 5:19 PM

Oops, I forgot this was on, I guess I have to go back and catch up on the episodes I missed. Thanks for the reminder DL.

by Anonymousreply 29July 23, 2019 5:37 PM

It's a brilliant premise: How do the crazy things going on right now affect a regular family? Climate change, Trump, immigration, a financial crisis, technology in your day to day life, jumping ahead in five-year increments.

I love how trusting the writer is of the audience to notice the little details. Macular degeneration? a thing of the past--but the same goes for chocolate and bananas and privacy.

And as much as politicians are casually ruining our lives (SPOILER FOR EPISODES 3 on), it's still down to individuals ruining one another's lives (I'm thinking of decisions made by an ex-husband and a brother that affected the asylum seeker). We still have so much space in which to be loving or shitty and often we pick shitty.

FUCKING love this series. I can think of very few other shows or movies that have reverberated after to this extent. Hope you give it a watch.

by Anonymousreply 30July 24, 2019 1:43 PM

I just watched the finale on HBO. I know there are problems with the show, but even so, I really loved it.

Biggest surprise for me was how much I didn't care for the rabble-rousing sister, Edith, in episode one, and how much I loved her by the finale. Great performance by actress Jessica Hynes as Edith.

by Anonymousreply 31July 30, 2019 2:18 AM

Loved it. It did bug me a bit how much they fast-forwarded through some story lines, esp. since it was clear they wanted to dig into the emotional dirt of the family. But that nuclear war alert culminating in terror sex - oh sweet Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 32July 30, 2019 4:41 AM

Russell T. Davies is simply brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 33July 30, 2019 10:46 AM

It was a very satisfying ending, I was expecting more tragedy, but glad that it left us with uplifting instead.

by Anonymousreply 34July 30, 2019 4:15 PM

Somewhat sappy ending, but I have rewatched the seires a couple more times and notice more and more each time. For example the crawl under the BBC announcers who deliver some of the establishing recent events after the episode skips forward some years; wild shit crammed into the details. Or how unpredictable the siblings voted in the election.

Someone upthread wrote: "Great performance by actress Jessica Hynes as Edith." Agreed. Edith's story was the most interesting to me and the least explored except obliquely, as when she lets her sister's new boyfriend Jonjo (a great name) know she's watching him because there are many fucked up men out there who would target a family with two small boys at the heart of it. What a great character, flawed and complex and reserved and yet very emotionally demostrative. How dare she embroil her niece and nephew to carry out her shenanigans? I love her.

I am in awe of Russell T. Davies's talents. I recommend Cucumber if you haven't watched it.

by Anonymousreply 35July 31, 2019 6:56 PM

The actor who played Viktor is not a good actor. The others were excellent, though.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2019 8:40 PM

The Ex husband was sex on a stick. He was stupid, but appears loyal. Daniel was an idiot. He should have simply asked for a get out jail free card or an open marriage. The Ukrainian twink was sexy, but Daniel was going home to that hot piece of ass below, child please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 4, 2019 8:14 AM

He was very attractive (if you likee that type), and a terrible actor. The character was also very one-dimensional.

Still loved the show and it was super-addictive. I'm rewatching it now with my partner.

Anyone know who did the theme music? That aaaah-aaaaah-aaaaah choir-thing with the drums? Loved it. Perfect for the concept of the show.

by Anonymousreply 38August 4, 2019 9:51 AM

My favourite storyline was Bethany, transhumanism being something that really freaks me out. The whole approach was really well done, showing both what's freaky and appealing about it - loved the storyline!

That said, I loved all storylines except maybe Daniel & Viktor, although I did find it interesting to have a refugee or migrant's plights be at the centre of a drama with a lot of other stuff, just mixed in with almost-everyday lives. Truly loved this show.

by Anonymousreply 39August 4, 2019 9:55 AM

Emma Thompson did an incredible job portraying that character. I thought it was spot-on.

by Anonymousreply 40August 4, 2019 9:56 AM

I've seen the whole series and loved it. I could totally see some of the events happening. And by the way, I thought that Emma did a super job along with the rest of the cast. For me, the grandmother was the star of the show.

by Anonymousreply 41August 4, 2019 9:58 AM

If you like Ann Reid as the grandmother, check out Last Tango in Halifax. Once you get past the cutesy first episode it is a sharp study of class differences. And she is one of the four central characters.

by Anonymousreply 42August 4, 2019 12:45 PM

I love her tremulous voice. Comforting despite the bleakness of what she's saying.

by Anonymousreply 43August 4, 2019 2:23 PM

The ratings on the HBO finale -

265,000 viewers watched it live.

Comparison- VEEP finale live-

1,097,000 viewers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 4, 2019 3:29 PM

It'll find its audience. It's a one-and-done series, so there's no threat of being canceled. This is fine series and as more and more of what's depicted as a cautionary tale comes to pass, the audience will grow.

by Anonymousreply 45August 4, 2019 3:32 PM

SPOILERS (ish): Fantastic show. Over on Twitter they were comparing the final shot of Vivienne getting into the car with the photo of Maggie T resigning and in her car where she looks like a psychotic. This made me curious about MT. Can’t find anything about it that isn’t sanitized.

“Beware the jokers and the clowns, they’ll laugh us into hell” is one of the best lines I have ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2019 3:47 PM

Exceptional show. I've watched it twice in 5 days.

by Anonymousreply 47August 4, 2019 7:16 PM

BTW T'Nia Miller was fierce as fuck. She and the grandmother stole every scene. I felt that the development of their relationship was very real, I've seen relationships out of necessity turn into trie affection. Something about having someone willing to spend their time with you, really breaks down perceived barriers. Plus she rocked the hell out of short hear and wonderful earnings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48August 4, 2019 7:27 PM

Amazing development between the beautiful T'Nia Miller and Ann Reid. I've seen that so often, two family members starting out hating one another and then becoming fierce allies.

I also loved how much was crammed in every scene. The older daughter, Bethany, asking her father "What color is she?" OOF.

by Anonymousreply 49August 4, 2019 11:39 PM

Depressing as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 50August 5, 2019 5:40 AM

I'm only two in but I can't understand a word T'Nia Miller says.

I'm also really into the music.

by Anonymousreply 51August 27, 2019 8:33 PM

[quote]Amazing development between the beautiful T'Nia Miller

If you like T'Nia Miller, she makes a few appearances on the comedy "Witless" and she's great there as well.

by Anonymousreply 52August 27, 2019 8:47 PM

Apologies for cross posting, but it appears someone in the White House was inspired by the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 12, 2019 9:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!