Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ocean to Ocean: New Tori Amos album drops Oct. 29

The album description translated from an Italian website:

[quote] This is the most personal work of Tori Amos: a profound album that has its roots in his first compositions. Written between March and the summer of this year in Cornwall surrounded by family, Ocean to Ocean is a universal story that is the path of when you touch the bottom and then renew yourself.For a record written in an intimate setting, the rich stylistic variation amazes , from tango to romanticism, and the expansive force of the songs that flow like a series of love letters to nearby people both present and absent. A sense of displacement, both geographical and emotional, is present in the title track, the drama of which takes place on the coasts of the United Kingdom and the United States: a song of union and love, about clinging to each other in difficult times such as those caused by the loss of a loved one (his mother) and the pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 2, 2021 7:41 AM

She’s still alive?

by Anonymousreply 1September 17, 2021 9:26 PM

Did she do more to her face?

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2021 9:33 PM

Looking forward to hearing this. Not so keen on the artwork (she looks so much better when she's dressed in the casual, leather and jeans look), but after the last two albums being a wonderful return to form AND developing her sound too, I'm interested to hear what she'll be doing next.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2021 9:35 PM

R2 This is her during the pandemic. Her old surgeries seem to have settled in well and she's got to be doing fillers still because she is wrinkle free, but she looks a lot like her mother and so I don't think the cosmetic stuff has changed her face radically. She did have to replace all her teeth years ago because of major problems with her bite damaging her teeth. I miss the originals. They gave her so much unusual character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2021 9:36 PM

This is her mother in her 60s or 70s for comparison. She really looks just like her if she had been glammed up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2021 9:38 PM

And this is her sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2021 9:39 PM

R3 I actually like the photo a lot. I loved the Night of Hunters artwork because it was real art and not just a portrait, but among all the album covers of Tori just standing there and grandly gesturing, this is my favorite. She looks a lot less awkwardly stiff as compared with Midwinter Graces and Night of Hunters.

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2021 9:42 PM

That is true, R7, and I think it was a great idea to have her seated, looks much less awkward.

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2021 9:57 PM

R8 I still find the Tales of a Librarian portrait a little awkward. Her stiff posing and dancing is honestly one of those things I just have to love about her. She's so free with her music and her words and her spirit and her body is so controlled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 17, 2021 10:04 PM

Excited for the album. Tori is so prolific that four years must be her longest-ever gap between albums. Hope there will be actual instruments this time!

by Anonymousreply 10September 17, 2021 10:28 PM

Well, R10, she did release a four-track EP called Christmastide and a book in between. So not a total wash! Even though her book tour had to be canceled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 17, 2021 10:32 PM

Speaking With Trees

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12September 30, 2021 2:39 PM

I'm not listening to any singles until the album is released. I don't usually do that, but this time I want to hear the full album for the first time at once.

by Anonymousreply 13September 30, 2021 3:45 PM

Listening to Trees is out. Spies has leaked.

R13 I don't think it will ruin your listening to tell you that both are surprisingly up-tempo. They're not the languid, droning Tori that everyone associates with her.

by Anonymousreply 14September 30, 2021 4:17 PM

Ooh, I like that one R12! Going to be interesting to hear the whole album :)

by Anonymousreply 15September 30, 2021 8:44 PM

Spies is great, too, R15. Her voice has thinned a lot but her music and lyrics are as great as ever. Speaking with Trees has kind of trite lyrics for a Tori song, but the song is to her deceased mother, about burying her ashes under a tree and the tree experiencing grief with her. The lyrics of Spies are almost like Under the Pink/Pele era.

by Anonymousreply 16September 30, 2021 9:50 PM

Just listening to Spies now, R16. Wow, this is really great - and sounds both like Tori and yet also like something she hasn't done before too. Really looking forward to this album. Enjoy the uptempo nature of what I've heard so far too.

by Anonymousreply 17October 1, 2021 10:22 PM

Will she pronounce 'here' as 'hee-uhh', over and over?

by Anonymousreply 18October 1, 2021 11:37 PM

Yes... I said... yes, said... I said... yes... said... yes... I said... yes, said...

by Anonymousreply 19October 1, 2021 11:41 PM

Speaking With Trees is a great song! It has a hook and is catchy. I dig the depth of the song but its done in a hopeful upbeat way. Nice job-

by Anonymousreply 20October 2, 2021 12:22 PM

R20 R18

by Anonymousreply 21October 2, 2021 12:29 PM

Knowing this may help you make, make it through the night on lullabies

Knowing this may help you to open up your eyes

Spies!

Everywhere from here to London Town

Tracking the thieving meanies below and above ground

Spies, that’s right, spies

You see an aardvark on the underground

Then on the bridge, under the tower

It’s spatterdashes with a plaid umbrella

It seems he’s just a well dressed fella

But the hippopotamus must stay anonymous for now

Yes, the hippopotamus must stay anonymous for now

Here from London up to Aberdeen

Ferry to Dublin, all the way down to Skibbereen

Spies! don’t think that it’s absurd

(No spy that I know does not)

Scary men dipped in mustard (English mixed with Dijon)

Mrs Crabby Apple won’t get custard, won’t get crumble

Spies, we love spies

Knowing this may help you make, make it through the night on lullabies

Knowing this may help you to open up your eyes with lullabies

Knowing this may help you to, help you close your eyes, get some shut eye

by Anonymousreply 22October 2, 2021 6:00 PM

I'm really enjoying listening to "Spies" since the full track has been released. Some very cute lyrics in there too. I like the mention of the "coquelicot beret" - made me think immediately of the "Red Beret" song she sang on for Al Stewart. And "Here from London up to Aberdeen / Ferry to Dublin all the way down to Skibbereen" is fun too.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2021 12:33 AM

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 24October 31, 2021 6:10 AM

Thanks for the WARNING op. Tori Amos - YUK.

by Anonymousreply 25October 31, 2021 6:16 AM

It's a great album. Metal, Water, Wood is one of her best songs in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 26October 31, 2021 1:01 PM

Is R25 one of those people here that was once found breaking into Retirement Homes and eating dirty diapers?

I think that's the creature!

Now get the fuck out of here R25!

by Anonymousreply 27October 31, 2021 4:04 PM

^ Hi Miss Warwick!! Back to your scat references again?

by Anonymousreply 28October 31, 2021 5:13 PM

Even one of her simplest and loveliest sounding songs, Flowers Burn to Gold, has an unsettling but also spiritually uplifting aspect.

In an old song, Ribbons Undone, from 16 years ago, that she wrote after jer mother came close to death, she refers to her mother as "a rose in a lily's cloak"—she thought of her mother in terms of flowers.

In Speaking with Trees, she sings about hiding her mother's ashes under a treehouse and communing with the trees about the loss, feeling that the trees are supporting her.

So she can't let go of her mother's remains and feels a need to protect them.

In Flowers Burn to Gold, she sings "Death is not the end/And flowers burn to gold." She's singing about the literal cremation of her mother and the alchemical and spiritual transfiguration of her into a higher state.

Immediately after that song, she is trying to will herself to "be like water" and let the tide wash away pieces that no longer serve any purpose.

In the end, there's a rebirth with "Birthday Baby," and she sings "Sometimes a girl has to tango alone/Don't be afraid to tango alone." She ostensibly wrote this for her niece after a breakup, but I think this song also is about herself letting go of her mother and learning to live alone. She describes the loss as "You survived/A cosmic apocalypse," and that's how it felt to me to live through the death of my mother four years ago. Like all Tori's albums post-Scarlet, I think this album can be read in different ways, as individual songs with discrete themes and also cohesively about a general theme of loss and isolation related to the pandemic and a specific theme of loss and isolation related to her mother.

by Anonymousreply 29November 2, 2021 11:51 AM

I listened to this album for the first time yesterday. The only songs I'd heard before that were "Speaking with Trees" and "Spies". I'm looking forward to getting deeper into this album. I saw on one of the other threads that people were saying "29 Years" was the only song they didn't know if they liked... I have to say it was the first one I've been on a relistening spree with. I like it! It's a very 80s track, but in an interesting way - anchored to a reggae/ska beat (very late 70s/early 80s) but with instrumentation from 87-88 over the top, and a lovely melody.

Can't wait to listen more!

by Anonymousreply 30November 2, 2021 7:33 PM

R30 29 Years isn't my favorite because of the 'piecing myself together' lyrics at the end. It feels almost like a self-parody lyrically. But yes, musically it's adventurous for this era and interesting. Everyone has compared it to YKTR and I don't get that at all.

by Anonymousreply 31November 2, 2021 7:40 PM

R29 Wonderful observations. I’ve listened to this album a few times a day since Thursday, when the videos dropped on YouTube in Australia. It’s been comforting, cathartic, and galvanizing. This and Native Invader are my favorite albums of hers this millennium and, for me, make me feel the way her first five albums did.

by Anonymousreply 32November 3, 2021 2:05 AM

I know I really shouldn't care, but I am annoyed that neither Rolling Stone nor Pitchfork has reviewed the album. They reviewed Lana Del Rey's, which came out on the same day, Meghan Thee Stallion's and even Shania Twain's new album. Cmon.

Tori's new album has an average 82 rating ("universal acclaim") on Metacritic right now. Lana's has a 79 ("generally favorable").

by Anonymousreply 33November 3, 2021 7:14 AM

Hey, you an Australian too, R32?

By the way, are you also the poster on here 'Mercurial Pianist'?

by Anonymousreply 34November 3, 2021 10:49 AM

What is she complaining about now?

by Anonymousreply 35November 3, 2021 10:55 AM

R34 Nope and Yep ;)

by Anonymousreply 36November 3, 2021 11:45 AM

R33 Mojo gave it a great review, too. A scan of their review is included her along with other reviews.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 3, 2021 11:47 AM

[quote][R34] Nope and Yep ;)

Ahh, for a moment I thought we might live in the same country, MP :)

by Anonymousreply 38November 3, 2021 11:48 AM

R38 Hey, you! Long time no see. I haven’t been on DL in months. Really came back on just to chat about this album.

Also, for those who haven’t seen this review, check it out. It’s pretty amazing. It’s by the channel Classic Album Review, which has a bit of a following. The reviewer had a great voice, is extremely knowledgeable, and totally gets this album and her work in general.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39November 3, 2021 11:55 AM

Mojo Review

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 3, 2021 12:07 PM

And, finally, my over-the-top review, lol:

After scrapping the album she had intended to release this fall, Tori Amos wrote and recorded OCEAN TO OCEAN in a winter-to-summer flurry earlier this year, producing her most cohesive, accessible, and resplendent work in over two decades. If Amos' NATIVE INVADER (2017) was a moody and masterful, albeit less accessible, return to form centered on coming to terms with change and loss (at the time, Amos' mother was on the precipice of death), OCEAN TO OCEAN is a startlingly kaleidoscopic burst of sonic light, color, and energy focused on hope and resilience. Of course, this is not to say that the album lacks somber moments; after all, the catalyst for this batch of songs was a debilitating depression that followed, amongst other things, the death of her mother and a third lockdown brought on by the global pandemic. However, while Amos flirts with heartbreak here, she never succumbs to it. Instead, she serves up an evocative, reflective, and, ultimately, uplifting album that manages to sidestep the trite and treacly in favor of the terse and tenacious.

From the equally pensive and propulsive opening track, "Addition of Light Divided," to the haunting and reassuring closer, "Birthday Baby," Amos' latest songs range from wistful to exuberant. Together, they occupy the liminal space between sorrow and celebration, comprising an album that is at once iridescent and salubrious. The singles "Speaking with Trees" and "Spies" are invigorating and jaunty ruminations on loss and fear-induced insomnia, while "Devil's Bane" is a bluesy, tequila-spiked, country-inspired retaliation against guilt and shame. "Swim to New York State" starts like a shimmering dirge before expanding into a dazzling orchestral affirmation. The title track makes the political personal, serving up one of the album’s best chorus melodies, which manages to turn too-obvious lyrics into something unexpectedly rousing. "Flowers Burn to Gold" is an achingly hopeful ballad, both searching and resolute, sung to Amos' mother's ghost, while "Metal Water Wood" - the album's standout track - is by turns wise and whimsical, effervescent and cathartic. "29 Years" strikes an undulating balance between steamy and poignant, and the lull of the delicate penultimate track, "How Glass Is Made," is charged by a stirring bridge that links the chaotic to the crystalline.

OCEAN TO OCEAN emanates an infectious warmth, spontaneity, and effulgence that make it both comforting and galvanizing. Its distillation and transmutation of tragedy and despondency into a refreshingly poppy, sanative, and palpably resilient sonic landscape is striking. Amos' vocal deliveries are by turns subdued and confident, fragile and textured. While, occasionally, her lyrics veer close to being on the nose, it's clear that these songs are not calculated messages stemming from self-righteousness but rather off-the-cuff confessions born from a yearning to burst free and resurface from the dark waters of grief. Concurrently, her signature piano-playing is rich and resonant and, along with her keyboard work, acts as the fulcrum upon which the entire production spins. She is brilliantly accompanied by longtime collaborators Matt Chamberlain on drums, Jon Evans on bass, John Philip Shenale on strings and keyboards, and Mark Hawley (Amos' husband) on guitars. Their buoyant flourishes and adornments contribute significantly to making this an intricate, dynamic, and prismatic late-career effort by Amos.

by Anonymousreply 41November 3, 2021 12:11 PM

Pull that horizon down.

Line that horizon up like the captain does with his instruments.

You tell me, "be like water."

I feel like an imposter should as you shapeshift through the earth. You knew me as fire. You have always been metal, water, wood.

Take my shattered dreams. Wash them away out with the tide. These unwanted pieces, wash them away with the tide: metal, water, wood.

Show me how to be like water.

by Anonymousreply 42November 3, 2021 8:42 PM

Recommended playlist:

Native Invader (replace Chocolate Song, which I love, with Upside Down 2 for an utterly perfect listening experience), followed by -

Ocean to Ocean, capped off with -

Holly and Circle of Seasons (in that order), as a sort of encore.

🤌🏼

by Anonymousreply 43November 3, 2021 10:37 PM

sing something happy 😃, that I can tap my feet to

by Anonymousreply 44November 4, 2021 11:23 AM

I've listened to the new album in its entirety a few times and I really like the vibe. It is relaxing.

by Anonymousreply 45November 4, 2021 8:20 PM

Yes, this one is a keeper.

I love all the songs but these 3- They are my bottom 3 in order-

(And they are STILL solid songs)

How Glass Is Made- But when that little bridge hits near the end- I DIG it!!!

29 Years- No longer the bottom- and it is so elegantly produced that it still feel bad that I don't LOVE it.

Ocean To Ocean- This one just does not work for me. And I am sad because its the album title. I just don't vibe with the song. The lyrics I do like-

The rest? Perfection. I have never liked so many songs on her albums so fast. And honestly, 10-15 years ago in a different climate, half of this album could be a single. Great melodies and gorgeous production.

by Anonymousreply 46November 6, 2021 9:03 PM

"How Glass is Made" is at the bottom for me too.

by Anonymousreply 47November 6, 2021 9:12 PM

R46 No. ALL OF IT is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 48November 7, 2021 5:00 AM

Tori’s 10th Top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49November 8, 2021 9:54 PM

R48 R49

by Anonymousreply 50November 8, 2021 10:43 PM

I'm thrilled Tori made the top 10 again after all these years! I can't believe selling 9,000 albums gets an artist into the top 10, though.

by Anonymousreply 51November 9, 2021 11:29 AM

Tori performed Ocean to Ocean and 29 Years solo on BBC Radio. Fucking amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 11, 2021 9:47 PM

There are touches on this album, most notable on "Ocean to Ocean" but also "Birthday Baby" that have this 80s guitar that puts me in mind of something like Suzanne Vega's Solitude Standing album.

by Anonymousreply 53November 12, 2021 6:17 PM

R53 Her husband plays the guitar on the album.

by Anonymousreply 54November 12, 2021 6:53 PM

Yeah, I believe he's been playing on her albums since Scarlet's Walk? I know it's been a controversial choice among Tori fans.

by Anonymousreply 55November 12, 2021 7:00 PM

The consensus seems to be that this is Mark's (husband) most successful guitar contribution so far. Her daughter's vocals are also used to great effect this time.

by Anonymousreply 56November 12, 2021 7:07 PM

I loooove the way she sings "TAKE these shattered dreams, wash them away, out with the tide, THESE shattered dreams of mine, wash them away with the tide."

by Anonymousreply 57November 13, 2021 4:27 PM

I have posted a few times here and was not feeling Ocean To Ocean or How Glass Is Made (until the cool bridge at the end). I initially hated 29 years.

I have to say that 29 Years has grown on me!! And it has the BEST line on the album- My witch isn't always benevolent.

Really great album.

6 of songs cycle in and out of being my FAVORITES. Right now Devil's Bane is an ear worm!

Just great melodies and hooks in these songs-

I don't mean this as a put down, but it really is Tori's most "accessible" work to date- but its still Tori.

by Anonymousreply 58November 13, 2021 5:25 PM

Slowly making my way through the album, and enjoying the songs I am getting "stuck" on at the moment. So far really am only familiar with "Speaking with Trees", "Spies", "Metal, Water, Wood" and "29 Years". Oh, and I suppose "How Glass is Made" because it comes right after "29 Years" so I keep hearing it.

There are little touches in these songs I really like. In "Speaking with Trees", that moment that goes from "Since you left..." to "I've been, hiding your ashes..." etc, I LOVE it. The way the piano sort of thunders along there is great.

Usually every Tori album has at least one song with a section that I replay over and over again. Examples of what I mean include the "Rushing rivers thread so thin..." part of "Girl", the layered vocals towards the end of "Flying Dutchman", the piano break in "Caught a Lite Sneeze", the "I got Big Bird on the fishing line..." part of Talula, the chorus on "Virginia", the "She may be dead to you..." part of "Abnormally Attracted to Sin", when the piano comes in on "Up the Creek", the recitation of the elements on "Bang..." and so many more. I haven't found that part on this album yet, but am looking forward to finding it.

by Anonymousreply 59November 15, 2021 9:20 AM

R59 I think those little moments for me are when she sings "the tide...[drums] metal, water, wood [instruments] pull that horizon down, pull that pull that horizon down [instruments]...like the captain does with his...in-stru-ments" and "your soul he's seekin' all while he's preachin' SHAME SHAME!"

I also think Speaking with Trees sounds perfect from beginning to end, and it's such a weird thing that she made a lively, catchy pop song about her mother's ashes.

And my heart breaks when she sings "death is not the end and flowers burn to gold" because the melody is beautiful (the piano reminds me of Gold Dust and Toast and it's fascinating to me that her most personal songs about family have similar sounds) and because I know she's singing about her mother ("she's a rose in a lily's cloak" from "Ribbon's Undone") burning (reference to her ashes from Speaking with Trees) and transfiguring into something precious.

by Anonymousreply 60November 15, 2021 10:17 AM

I bought this album - only Tori Amos album I’ve ever bought. I’m liking it.

by Anonymousreply 61November 15, 2021 10:48 AM

That's great, R61. I hope it wins her some new fans. If you're not familiar with her music, you may be pleasantly surprised by her voice on her first six albums.

by Anonymousreply 62November 15, 2021 2:04 PM

Ha- You guys are all feeling the same little things I am feeling- "the hooks" of these songs-

Pull that horizon down, pull that horizon down- Perfection.

That brief pause- Since you left. Pause. I've been. Pause (this is my favorite moment on the album). Hiding Your Ashes... Speaking With Trees is her BEST pop song to date and its so tricky as its an upbeat song about death. Its absolutely perfect and unexpected for Tori to make an upbeat and inspirational song about something so personal Its like Speaking With Trees and Flowers Burn To Gold are two sides of grief.

Devil's Bane- there is a part near the end when Tori's voice goes really low on the melody at 3:37- Its after the "bride of christ-you'll never be" I believe she is saying 'Bride, Bride" (in the same way she sings Shame, Shame). Its not in the official lyrics either- It gives me goosebumps every time.

And THE song of the album for me is Birthday Baby. Its just the most perfect closer she has ever done. It's filled with sadness, wistfulness, humor, and hope. When I read the tracklist I was like what a STUPID NAME for a song, and for some reason I thought it was some kind of Sweet The Sting drivel about having sex with Mark on his birthday. lollll I really love it. But I particularly love it as the closer of the album with the context of the other songs.

And the sleep hit of the album is Addition Of Light Divided- It has one of her prettiest choruses ever. Ever. Kind of like Fairytale.

by Anonymousreply 63November 15, 2021 3:48 PM

^^Sleeper Hit.

Amongst all of my grammar mistakes above

by Anonymousreply 64November 15, 2021 4:13 PM

R59 likes all my favorite little moments- Its bizarre- Especially that part in the song Abnromally Attracted To Sin. Bizarre- THat's the best part of that entire album!!

by Anonymousreply 65November 15, 2021 5:34 PM

R65, I absolutely agree. I remember when I discovered it and was like: "god this is back to the Tori I love on an album that isn't that great" - though I don't hate AAtS as much as others, but it is a very wearying album trying to listen to it all at once).

Other favourite moments? How could I have forgotten "Precious Things" - "With their Nine Inch Nails and little fascist panties tucked inside the heart of every nice girl". I nearly wore my CD out on rewinding and replaying that bit when I was younger, haha.

by Anonymousreply 66November 15, 2021 6:48 PM

Thanks R59- now I am listening to Abnormally Attracted To Sin (the song) on repeat. Its actually a fucking damn good song. And all of those haunting layered synths. Its fantastic!!!

This album is loaded with some of Tori's worst songs. Even some of the worst- 500 Miles- have that little hooky/earworm part- Its at the end - Its the layered part where the guitar kicks in - Will we break --even break..... eveeeeen breaaaaak...

Maybe California is unsalveagable.

Tori's voice seems very strained or something. The entire effort seems unnatural and strange.

However, I am the only fan who possibly loves Ophelia. I really love this song. Everyone makes fun of the lyrics. Its GREAT.

Its a very distanced effort. Its like Tori has no personal connection to most of the songs.

And Oscar's Theme is dreamy and pretty. But again- its all disconnected or something..

And Lady In Blue and Welcome To England were wonderful live. She played these in Boston and it was great.

by Anonymousreply 67November 15, 2021 7:43 PM

"Oscar's Theme" is a beautiful little tune. I don't really listen to the lyrics as much (it's about her dog, yes?), but I play it on the piano and people always compliment it.

I think "Fast Horse" is one of the best on the album. Funnily enough, I never really understood what people meant when talking about her "baby voice", but I can see it on this song. Still, it's enjoyable, probably because it sounds like something that could've been on Scarlet's Walk.

I got an appreciation for "Welcome to England" years after the fact, seeing her perform it live on some show on YouTube. It's not a favourite, but I could hear her expressing what, at that time, must've been such a painful part of her life in that song. I think "Give" is ok, "Flavor" is a lovely little song too, "Abnormally Attracted to Sin" is smashing, and I'll be honest, the weirdness of "Police Me" means I've listened to it more than most (can't stand the line about the "slutty goth" though, wish that had been taken out).

But yeah, I can like some of the songs, but they're too much to take all at once. Some of the others I could barely tell you what they sounded like now ("Fire to Your Plain") despite listening to the album a number of times over the years.

by Anonymousreply 68November 16, 2021 9:08 AM

I agree about AATS. I like many of the songs—Flavor, Starling, Fast Horse, Curtain Call, Strong Black Vine, all for different reasons—but I never listen all the way through. Other albums like Scarlet and Night of Hunters practically demand to be heard in sequence.

by Anonymousreply 69November 16, 2021 9:52 AM

[quote]now I am listening to Abnormally Attracted To Sin (the song) on repeat.

The bridge on that song at 1:48 is phenomenal. It gives me goosebumps.

[quote] She may be dead to you /But her hips sway a natural /Kind of faith that could give /Your lost heart a warm chapel /You'll sleep in her bell tower /And you will simply wake

As for this album, I’m in love. It’s become my workout and driving soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 70November 19, 2021 11:17 PM

And I think, R70, that bridge is one of the last times* she's done the overlapping lyric/vocal thing she was a big fan of back in the 90s. It's not quite as complex as the ones in "Flying Dutchman", "Take to the Sky", "Cornflake Girl" or "Father Lucifer" (among many others), but it's reminiscent. That was always something I loved of hers and I love it in this song.

*I could be very wrong though.

by Anonymousreply 71November 20, 2021 2:07 AM

R71 Me, too. Tori's overlapping verses, whether they built tension like in Father Lucifer or added almost subconscious pathos like in Spark, were so distinctive and magical. Some songs like Smokey Joe are thrilling mainly because of that kind of treatment. I really wonder why she stoppes doing that.

by Anonymousreply 72November 20, 2021 4:29 AM

This thread inspired me to dig out "Flying Dutchman" again, my GOD it's a beautiful song, and all that building and building from 4.30 onwards makes me so happy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 26, 2021 8:03 PM

FANTASTIC interview by Noah.

A 9-minute song called Chiron got kicked off the record. I bet you it was akin to Reindeer King…😭

Lady Jane didn’t make it into Boys for Pele and turned into Snow Cherries from France.

So many more goodies in this Q&A!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 1, 2021 2:36 AM

Those lyrics to “Ballerina” though…

by Anonymousreply 75December 1, 2021 2:52 AM

She needed to have included fucking “Ballerina” goddammit! After that fucking story…

by Anonymousreply 76December 1, 2021 2:57 AM

R74 R75 R76

by Anonymousreply 77December 1, 2021 6:57 AM

"Martha's Foolish Ginger" and "Snow Angel" also had their origins in the Pele era. I'm sure there are more that I can't think of right now.

by Anonymousreply 78December 1, 2021 10:55 PM

Pele was such a prosperous time for her re: song creation. I know the B-Sides that ended up on From the Choirgirl Hotel - "Cooling", "Never Seen Blue" and "Beulah Land" were all Pele songs. And "To the Fair Motor Maids of Japan" and "Walk to Dublin". But I wasn't aware of so many others. Thanks for sharing, I love this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 79December 2, 2021 6:54 AM

She makes a lot of little digs at herself when Boys for Pele comes up in interviews, saying things like "What was I on at the time?!" And she has undermined the album a lot with explanations about various difficulties. I was glad to hear her talk with Noah M about how the critics' responses adversely affected her confidence because that has been clear to me for decades. But it seems like her fans and many critics alike regard Pele as one of her most inspired albums now, and I don't think she is able to see its merits.

by Anonymousreply 80December 2, 2021 7:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!