Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jeopardy #25 -- New Thread for New Season

With the new season starting -- season 38 -- its time to start a new thread to discuss the daily Jeopardy episodes.

Share your opinion of the various contestants. Did you get Final Jeopardy correct? What about the Daily Doubles?

by Anonymousreply 192September 23, 2021 12:44 AM

Will Matt Amodio continue his winning streak after months of down time between taping episodes? We'll find out on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 1September 11, 2021 10:39 PM

I like Mayim, but would be fine with Buzzy if she can't do a longterm fulltime commitment.

I'd forgotten how totes adorbs Sam was (as the saying goes) until the TOC reruns. Nabir is cute and funny, ditto Veronica. I know I trash Jennifer a lot, but she gave off that bored, "Oh, just let me [italic]win[/italic] already!" vibe regularly.

by Anonymousreply 2September 12, 2021 1:24 PM

Maybe replaying the Tournament of Champions was a good idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 12, 2021 1:39 PM

I've said all along I would be happy with Buzzy or Mayim as host. Could live with Ken too.

Also, David Faber did a great job during his week. I could live with him too.

by Anonymousreply 4September 12, 2021 1:55 PM

I’d love to live with David Faber!

by Anonymousreply 5September 12, 2021 5:47 PM

Yes!!

Buzzy, Buzzy, Buzzy

🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

by Anonymousreply 6September 12, 2021 8:23 PM

NO to Buzzy!! He’s so fugly.

by Anonymousreply 7September 13, 2021 5:41 AM

Yes to Buzzy!!!! He did a great job.

by Anonymousreply 8September 13, 2021 12:50 PM

Have the Burton fanatics and SJWs calmed down yet?

by Anonymousreply 9September 13, 2021 12:55 PM

So does Mikey Richards week air this week? Awkward.

by Anonymousreply 10September 13, 2021 1:58 PM

Yes, with Mayim taking over a week from today. It will be especially awkward if he starts with a gushing entrance about how honored he is to replace Alex. Things should be edgy enough as at the time he said he was incredibly nervous.

by Anonymousreply 11September 13, 2021 2:01 PM

It will be interesting to see if the producers cut out all of Mike Richards nonsensical blather about being honored to have the job (for 24 hours).

by Anonymousreply 12September 13, 2021 4:05 PM

They've got to edit out any kind of speech Mike may have made, and hopefully they also have Mayim or the new (temp?) producers give a short intro to episode 1, along the lines of "thank you for watching as we continue to look for a full-time host although no one can ever truly replace Alex," yadda yada.

by Anonymousreply 13September 13, 2021 4:28 PM

They just edited it out and moved on. Good choice.

by Anonymousreply 14September 13, 2021 11:37 PM

It's a shame because he's good at this.

by Anonymousreply 15September 13, 2021 11:50 PM

What's … Matt … A … mo … di … o … is … so … a … noy … ing … ?

by Anonymousreply 16September 13, 2021 11:51 PM

That's too many syllables, R16. He was keeping track of the 7.

by Anonymousreply 17September 13, 2021 11:56 PM

Is it him, or just that the opponents weren't enough of a challenge?

by Anonymousreply 18September 14, 2021 12:14 AM

Mike has a wonky eye.

by Anonymousreply 19September 14, 2021 12:18 AM

I kept thinking his butt plug was shorting out......

by Anonymousreply 20September 14, 2021 12:37 AM

It's him. Both opponents were good. Meanwhile, I guessed Pennsylvania for FJ.

Did they crank up the blue neon in the set? I reached for my sunglasses.

by Anonymousreply 21September 14, 2021 3:05 AM

I knew that FJ was Rhode Island because the colony was founded by Roger Williams based on religious freedom. Which is why it was strange to see Matt puzzling over his answer — which ultimately he got right anyway.

His opponents did a very credible job, but they just couldn’t overcome Matt’s strategy of building up a huge lead early. Plus, he benefitted greatly from uncovering all three DJ answers. Plus, he had weeks to rest up from the 18-game run.

by Anonymousreply 22September 14, 2021 3:23 AM

Buzzy is pretty cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23September 14, 2021 3:42 AM

The new Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune sets are God fucking awful. The last tacky remnants from Mike Richards' time as executive producer before he was unceremoniously kicked out of his job.

by Anonymousreply 24September 14, 2021 4:25 AM

Yes. Sets are awful.

Matt seemed so much more relaxed. Liking him.

by Anonymousreply 25September 14, 2021 6:34 AM

The new set looks like they're standing in front of a curtain.

Mike was fawning over Matt like a stage door fan.

Guessed Rhode Island for FJ.

Alex's son is hot.

by Anonymousreply 26September 14, 2021 7:01 AM

Matt is still annoying as fuck and I cannot wait until the day when someone finally beats him.

by Anonymousreply 27September 14, 2021 7:19 AM

I hate how Matt blows when the announcer says how much money he’s won so far. That’s just one of his many annoyances.

by Anonymousreply 28September 14, 2021 7:23 AM

Yes, new set is not good, but the new Wheel of Fortune set is much worse.

I guessed Maryland for Final.

Looks like Matt actually did buy some new clothes during the break from taping. Glad he's spending some of his winnings.

Mike is quite good as host. I was reminded of why I liked him so much during his earlier two-week stint. Seemed completely calm and in control of the game without dominating the game. And he didn't have to use cards to bring up topics to talk about with the contestants.

Wonder how nervous Mike was during this taping on Aug. 19, knowing The Ringer story came out less than 24 hours before.

by Anonymousreply 29September 14, 2021 9:20 AM

Variety TV critic discusses Mike's first episode as host and the way the didn't discuss this changing of the guard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 14, 2021 9:25 AM

Men's Health columnist (!?!?) discusses the awkwardness of having Mike hosting for a week

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 14, 2021 9:30 AM

I don’t feel any on air explanation to Jeopardy! viewers is necessary.

Regular viewers certainly don't require one and occasional viewers surely are aware of all the drama this summer since it was heavily covered by television newscasts and social media.

by Anonymousreply 32September 14, 2021 12:39 PM

Besides—what could they say?

by Anonymousreply 33September 14, 2021 12:49 PM

I was reminded how much I loathe Matt.

by Anonymousreply 34September 14, 2021 12:59 PM

It's funny that Maryland kept repeating in my head for FJ, even though I knew Roger Williams' story of going down to Rhode Island after having been expelled from Massachusetts.

I'm one of those who hadn't minded Matt, but the counting to seven each time he answered that one set of questions was [italic]really[/italic] weird. I'm also not a fan of his new poodle-like haircut he has - or perhaps he had it before and I simply forgot about it.

As for Mike: he previously was my favorite guest host (with my runners up being Mayim, Robin Roberts & Buzzy). This was partly it was because of his looks (because, after all, I am shallow), but it was also because of his ease & comfort with the guests. During his original run, I remarked I was impressed that he didn't need to have cards when interviewing any of the contestants. And last but not least, I found his lisp charming.

by Anonymousreply 35September 14, 2021 1:18 PM

Sorry for not editing that post @ R35 before posting.

When I'm half awake, I sound like DL's poster from North.

by Anonymousreply 36September 14, 2021 1:22 PM

I could understand Maryland, being originally a haven for a disliked religious minority. I've been to the synagogue at Newport, RI.

by Anonymousreply 37September 14, 2021 3:04 PM

R33 Trigger warning: Mike Richards' episodes were prerecorded, so we have to air them for continuity sake. If you are offended by Howard Stern type shock jocks, a new host will be on next week.

R29 The Wheel of Fortune set isn't the only problem. So is the cheesy, tacky music and sound effects. It sounded canned and corny. The glass on the set was also smudged and dirty. Mike really did degrade the shows he was producing to low rent trash like The Price is Right. I felt his performance last night was worse than during his initial run, so in hindsight, I'm glad he won't be the permanent host.

by Anonymousreply 38September 14, 2021 5:21 PM

I meant to ask about WOF earlier... did they change the final spin because Pat's daughter was afraid of his being too close to the contestants (who might kill him)?

by Anonymousreply 39September 14, 2021 5:47 PM

can't watch WoF anymore knowing Sajak is a psycho right winger

by Anonymousreply 40September 14, 2021 6:56 PM

Daniel started off weak but came on strong in DJ.

When Matt lost out on both DDs in DJ, I thought he might be vulnerable.

FJ was an easy one, 1969 made it obvious.

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2021 1:33 AM

Oh, god, the WOF music is absolutely awful!

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2021 2:01 AM

Matt's poodle haircut was inspired by Lucy Ricardo.

by Anonymousreply 43September 15, 2021 2:19 AM

Damn, I was really hoping Daniel would stay close in the DJ round, but Matt still managed to pull away . Daniel was sexy and smart.

by Anonymousreply 44September 15, 2021 2:30 AM

I really like how they're now showing the Final Jeopardy category with the clue while the contestants are writing. No more having to rewind to remind!

by Anonymousreply 45September 15, 2021 5:09 AM

"what's Parton" FUCK OFF Matt. He's so damn annoying. There's no excuse why he can't phrase questions properly at this point

by Anonymousreply 46September 15, 2021 6:47 AM

He doesn't want to and he doesn't have to, so you should probably just get over it.

by Anonymousreply 47September 15, 2021 8:44 AM

I also like the fact they're showing the Final category along with the clue.

Was rooting for Daniel to pull off an upset and oust Matt.

Had no clue on Final but it hindsight it was quite obvious due to the 1969 clue.

Really liking Mike as host. Comes off as warm and congenial. He does an especially good job chatting with the contestants. Too bad he didn't think to delete those RanDumb podcasts.

Agree the new music on Wheel of Fortune is awful.

by Anonymousreply 48September 15, 2021 9:00 AM

That dude beside Matt tonight was weird as shit.

by Anonymousreply 49September 15, 2021 9:48 AM

I dislike it, too, R42.

Here's hoping yesterday was a canary in the coal mine that Matt is vulnerable. I missed a bit of the interview, did the guy say he read the entire Bible in both English and Korean?

My issue with Mike, R48, is that he arrived on the scene telling the audience that he was "helping out" with the rotation when he had set himself up (lobbied) to be included. Also, his saying he wasn't at all interested in that trivia stuff (paraphrased) doesn't reflect well either. Agree that he does a decent job on screen as a host.

by Anonymousreply 50September 15, 2021 12:13 PM

I believed that he transcribed the Bible in two languages, r50, to give his parents a Korean translation. I couldn't believe that he didn't do better in the Old Testament category.

by Anonymousreply 51September 15, 2021 7:08 PM

That's even wierder - the Bible has been around in Korean for a very long time. Agreed he should've blasted through that category.

by Anonymousreply 52September 15, 2021 7:33 PM

So I just spotted a rebel thread about Matt. How can this happen?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 15, 2021 8:22 PM

He did it as a punishment, I think, he did not seem very happy about it, even when prodded by Mike, he would not admit that he was glad he did it

by Anonymousreply 54September 15, 2021 9:32 PM

OK, transcribed from existing text as a demand from his fundie dad makes sense, rather than translated. If it was such a painful experience, is there nothing else he could've discussed instead?

Just once... I want to see Matt time out rather than those beat-the-buzzer always-right "guesses"!

by Anonymousreply 55September 15, 2021 9:47 PM

Matt's shirt and tie today look like they came in a box together from the Geoffrey Beene Collection.

by Anonymousreply 56September 15, 2021 9:53 PM

Is Nick trans?

by Anonymousreply 57September 15, 2021 11:40 PM

Matt spelled Tolkien wrong as well, but Mike did not mention it

by Anonymousreply 58September 15, 2021 11:43 PM

Wow Nick's voice was the most feminine man's voice I've ever heard.

by Anonymousreply 59September 15, 2021 11:52 PM

R59, Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2021 12:16 AM

Whatever Nick was, it was alluringly sensual. I wonder how many women change sex knowing they may experience male pattern baldness? That’s probably a “sign me up!” Attribute.

by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2021 12:40 AM

I was thinking along the same lines, R57.

I seem to recall that James' downfall had to do with finally not being able to build up a huge lead via daily doubles. Seems as though that's the only way Matt might not make it.

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2021 2:09 AM

I got my hopes up again with Maureen, who like Daniel yesterday, started out great but got steamrolled by Matt in the second round. I agree with R62 that Matt can be dethroned if one of his opponents can keep those daily doubles out of his hands.

I have to give it to Matt though. Three quarters of a million dollars and twenty games won is really impressive. He'll most likely surpass Julia Collins' record tomorrow and has a good shot at beating James' record as well.

I wonder what he's gonna do with all that money.

by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2021 2:53 AM

I guessed Anthony Burgess. Lots of hard questions for me tonight. Matt's opponents were both pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2021 3:24 AM

Yes R63, his opponents need to get those Daily Doubles before he does. Maybe it’s me, but it seems like the DDs have all been incredibly easy during Matt’s run....almost unfairly so. For example, the Mayo Clinic one today. Way too easy.

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2021 3:30 AM

Wow! Matt bought a tie with some of his winnings. I believe this is the first time we've seen him wearing one.

I was rooting for Maureen to stay neck and neck with Matt and then beat him in the end. Nick was also quite good. Shame that Matt got all the Daily Doubles.

Yes, the game that James Holzhauer finally lost was one where he did not find the Daily Doubles.

I knew Tolkien for Final even before Mike finished reading it.

I'm continually impressed at how seamlessly Mike has fallen into the host role and what a good job he's doing with it. Shame those podcasts were his downfall.

New Wheel of Fortune music is so awful, I couldn't even watch the full episode. Ended up fast forwarding through everything to get to the end of the episode to watch the Bonus Round.

by Anonymousreply 66September 16, 2021 8:57 AM

R66, The brightness of the WOF set is more annoying than the music.

by Anonymousreply 67September 16, 2021 11:10 AM

I thought the James River question was a giveaway as well, R65. He wore a tie once before, R66, a purple one. A several day champ a while back wore a tie after not wearing one for a long time, and promptly lost; I was hoping that'd rub off on Matt. My wish was granted that he did finally not come through just once on a delayed guess.

Agreed that the new WOF is just "off" in general, R66.

by Anonymousreply 68September 16, 2021 1:39 PM

C.S. Lewis was the first name that came to mind for FJ and then I quickly changed it to Tolkien when I read the question more carefully.

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2021 2:42 PM

I don't think the Jeopardy folks get their money until after they play and lose their last game.

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2021 3:25 PM

R70 but would certainly feel more free with the resources they had... or, like, running up the credit cards.

Also, what is going on with Matt's hair? It seems like he's almost bald in the back, but not male-pattern bald. Chemotherapy? Trichotillomania?

by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2021 3:36 PM

"Matt, here at Sony we love how you're playing the game. We're certainly not going to tell you how to do it. But we just wanted to remind you that our viewers tune into Jeopardy to see some competition. They like a bit of a tussle. So a little excitement early on would really help draw them in. Wakarimasu ka?"

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2021 3:49 PM

R71 - I noticed yesterday at the end of the show that the hair on his right side looked funny as compared with his left side.

I think during the credits he may have turned to one of the contestants and that's when I noticed it.

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2021 5:14 PM

I get to go first with the Team Ken update!

Wonder if Matt'll still be there by then?

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2021 6:58 PM

Just a reminder that the reason the WOF and Jeopardy sets and music are so awful this season is because of Mike Richards. He [italic] was [/italic] executive producer on both shows. He made the mess that Sony will have to clean up, aesthetic wise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2021 7:05 PM

Ken and Mayim for the rest of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2021 7:25 PM

Good R76. Now let's get on with the game and put this hosting business on the backburner for a while. I'm so over it.

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2021 7:29 PM

Shoulda been Buzzy.

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2021 7:38 PM

Maybe Buzzy will step in for next year?

by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2021 7:51 PM

The ad for tonight’s game that ran on WJLA in DC, makes it seem as if Matt could lose tonight. He was apparently in the red at some point during the game.

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2021 10:51 PM

In the red? Heavens!

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2021 11:03 PM

Eventually, Matt is going to blow a heavily wagered DD.

by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2021 11:06 PM

Yeah, well, he came close tonight — but won in the end.

by Anonymousreply 83September 16, 2021 11:59 PM

Or get shut out of them by bad luck, R82.

by Anonymousreply 84September 17, 2021 12:00 AM

Hosting update

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 17, 2021 12:19 AM

I would never have recognized Ken from that picture - especially in a pink sweater.

by Anonymousreply 86September 17, 2021 12:43 AM

Ken Jennings owes Mike Richards, big time.

by Anonymousreply 87September 17, 2021 1:02 AM

wow Matt really died and lived by the daily doubles today. He started the second round in the red but of course he drew both double jeopardys and got them right which padded his score out of reach. He might have lost otherwise. So sick of him

by Anonymousreply 88September 17, 2021 7:23 AM

When Matt bet it all and lost on the first Daily Double, I was screaming, "YES, YES!"

When he finished the first round in the red, I was praying one of the others could pull ahead and defeat him.

Alas, it was not to be. But it give us hope that someday soon, he will do down.

Had no idea on Final. Have never heard of Malala.

by Anonymousreply 89September 17, 2021 9:25 AM

r86, yes, between the pink sweater and slicked back hair, that does not look like Ken Jennings.

And yes, r87, Ken definitely owes Mike a lot.

Hopefully when Michael Davies takes over as the interim EP, the firs thing he'll do is change the WOF music and lighting back to the way it was last season. Once again, I could not watch the full WOF episode due to the horrid music, so I FFed to the end to watch the Bonus Round.

by Anonymousreply 90September 17, 2021 9:30 AM

I've decided that WOF set and music now resembles something from a third rate "live action" video game. Not sure they would change it anytime soon.

I had heard of Malala, but was thrown because I associate Urdu with Pakistan rather than Afghanistan. I'm good at geography, frustrating that the challengers couldn't buzz in with easy answers like the capital of Hungary.

I think it's a mutual thing for Matt and Mike - definite "get a room" chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 91September 17, 2021 12:32 PM

By the time of Mike's fifth and final show, does anyone think he had any idea it would be his last?

From show #1 to show #5, Mike's drama would have been trending on social media all that day.

by Anonymousreply 92September 17, 2021 1:20 PM

He must've had an idea by then "Just let me get through today..."

by Anonymousreply 93September 17, 2021 1:28 PM

Mom and I were in a panic 😱 when Matt was in the red 😧

It was a great game. Glad Matt won again.

Let him get his million, then he can lose.

by Anonymousreply 94September 17, 2021 3:50 PM

FJ was easy.

She was everywhere for a while.

by Anonymousreply 95September 17, 2021 3:54 PM

Team Matt.💪

by Anonymousreply 96September 17, 2021 4:13 PM

I've realized that now at 70 I am beyond a Jeopardy contender. I knew the figure, the history, the importance of Malala immediately, but could not retrieve her name.

I think proper nouns, names, are becoming hardest to recall. On the other hand it could just be the debilitating impact of Google and just-in-time searching have on the brain.

I sense that Matt is getting more and more reckless with his DDs - why not? He has enough $ already, I'm guessing he's gone within a week.

by Anonymousreply 97September 17, 2021 4:28 PM

Matt must be single. 20 something shows in and he never talks about any Significant other.

by Anonymousreply 98September 17, 2021 4:57 PM

Is Matt the one who loved it being light all night on Sweden?

by Anonymousreply 99September 17, 2021 5:21 PM

Rapscallion Matt Amodio would be an ideal Billy Bigelow for the musical Carousel.

by Anonymousreply 100September 17, 2021 11:11 PM

So, Matt made it through the Mike Rogers extremely abbreviated era. On to Mayim.

FJ seemed pretty easy. Jackson was the obvious choice. The Federalists had long since faded away, the Democrat-Republicans split during JQ Adams’ term, and there was little organized opposition to the Jacksonian Democrats, hence the rise of the Whigs.

by Anonymousreply 101September 18, 2021 12:08 AM

So... Matt's quite the theater maven! What'll he buy grandpa with his winnings?

by Anonymousreply 102September 18, 2021 1:13 AM

Maybe his fans will shut up now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 18, 2021 1:21 AM

Mike's goodbye on Friday where he thanked the Jeopardy! team for continuing the legacy may have been recorded later and spliced in.

by Anonymousreply 104September 18, 2021 1:46 AM

Wish-washy piece of shit, after his deluded, crazed fans caused as much trouble as they possibly could.

Damn, what is is about crazy fans and their sense of entitlement.

by Anonymousreply 105September 18, 2021 3:40 AM

^^wishy-washy^^

by Anonymousreply 106September 18, 2021 3:42 AM

Amazing how tired I have become of Matt. It's happened just in the past few days, I was liking him for a long time, but now I'm ready to see him retired. Now I find myself rooting for Matt to lose big on the Daily Doubles.

Fingers crossed that next week will be his last. Let him win $1 million and then get bumped off.

Final was super easy.

by Anonymousreply 107September 18, 2021 8:37 AM

Matt isn't going to lose until he draws an opponent who gets to the daily doubles first. The other day when he bombed out in the first round was a fluke. I'm rooting for anyone over him at this point.

by Anonymousreply 108September 18, 2021 9:06 AM

Oh Levar, are we finally done hearing from you??? Thank god. You sucked as guest host.

by Anonymousreply 109September 18, 2021 9:49 AM

Surprised they went with Ken Jennings. At this point, were they looking for the least controversial possibility? Doesn't Ken have some social media baggage in his past?

by Anonymousreply 110September 18, 2021 11:20 AM

Ken's only there for three months, not a permanent replacement.

by Anonymousreply 111September 18, 2021 12:04 PM

Does anyone watch The Chase? Jennings, Rutter, et al are encouraged to be super obnoxious. Not looking forward to Jennings taking over.

by Anonymousreply 112September 18, 2021 12:04 PM

He was fine while he hosted briefly earlier, R112.

by Anonymousreply 113September 18, 2021 12:08 PM

^This

by Anonymousreply 114September 18, 2021 12:23 PM

R112 - when was Rutter ever obnoxious?

by Anonymousreply 115September 18, 2021 12:29 PM

R103 It was obvious after hearing the rumors of agents telling their clients to avoid the show like the plague that Levar wasn't going to jockey for the job anymore. Frankly, if they don't go with Buzzy, Miyam or Ken at this point, I don't see how they can get anyone take the job. Too much controversy and baggage for it to be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 116September 18, 2021 1:43 PM

I think Aaron would be interested.

by Anonymousreply 117September 18, 2021 1:45 PM

That's a shame R116, that Sony screwed this up so badly that now the show is anathema. What a way to honor Alex's legacy.

As for Matt, I wonder who would win in a showdown between him and James. My money is on James.

by Anonymousreply 118September 18, 2021 3:45 PM

Since he carried over to this season, we won't see Matt for an extra year of TOC after his eventual loss (which happened to Jason Z. a while back).

by Anonymousreply 119September 18, 2021 4:09 PM

I want to know more about Grandpa, who took Matt to see Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 120September 18, 2021 5:25 PM

Take him, or just pay for it?

by Anonymousreply 121September 18, 2021 5:50 PM

why does Matt always get the Daily Doubles. I suspect cheating.

by Anonymousreply 122September 19, 2021 1:52 AM

R122 He runs the board, i.e. he gets answers right and answers quickly and always choses the "geography" where DDs lurk. He has a strategy and it's been working.

by Anonymousreply 123September 19, 2021 1:54 AM

It's because he starts the game picking clues at the bottom of the board and goes hunting for the DDs. By the time he uncovers the DD, he's akready amassed a sizable chunk of money which he then doubles and effectively ends the game in the first half of the second round. Plus, he's fast on the buzzard. It's the same strategy James Holzhauer used to win, but James was more of a robotic assassin than Matt.

by Anonymousreply 124September 19, 2021 1:58 AM

Matt usually has amassed $10K before the first commercial break. And forget this BS about the buzzers being rigged, etc. His control of the board increases his odds of hitting the DJs. They all start from the same place.

He's just a very very smart guy; some of his answers are astonishing. He deserves his winnings.

by Anonymousreply 125September 19, 2021 2:04 AM

Good lord, he’s not cheating. The DDs are most often toward the bottom of the board. He starts down there (1) to amass a large amount of money to bet on the DD, and (2) because that is where he has the best chance of finding the DD. In the first round he makes it a true DD, and in the second round he bets between $2,000 to $4,000 on the DD. His strategy has paid off thus far.

His great strength is in things related to geography, but the breadth of his knowledge is pretty amazing. He recalls some very obscure facts.

In the early days of his run, he steamrolled over his two competitors, who were pretty much blindsided by what he was doing. It now seems that they’ve given him a few tougher competitors so that the games are not total blowouts.

And, yes, at some point his good fortune will run out.

by Anonymousreply 126September 19, 2021 2:13 AM

I meant to say he ends the game in the first half of the first round ( brain fart).

You're right R125. He's a really great player and absolutely deserves his winnings. I don't enjoy him though and the "what is?* phrasing for a person is like nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 127September 19, 2021 2:15 AM

R127, Notice that he writes "Who is" in FJ, at least he did on Friday.

by Anonymousreply 128September 19, 2021 2:25 AM

It's debatable but I think term limits should come back. Maybe cap it at 12 games with a $100,000 bonus thrown in.

These long runs just change the nature of the program too much.

by Anonymousreply 129September 19, 2021 2:55 AM

I bet they increase ratings.

by Anonymousreply 130September 19, 2021 2:57 AM

Well, to date they've been lucky that the long-term winners have had personalities that, even if they don't particularly engage viewers, don't drive them away, either.

But there's a risk that at some point Jeopardy will get stuck with a long-term winner viewers will actively dislike, and ratings will fall. A term limit is good insurance against that possibility.

by Anonymousreply 131September 19, 2021 3:09 AM

Merv Griffin died years ago, but his former wife Julann is still alive at 92.

Merv always credited her with coming up with the idea for the Jeopardy! game.

It would be interesting to know her reaction to what's been transpiring since Alex's death.

by Anonymousreply 132September 19, 2021 3:10 AM

Anyine know when and what caused term limits to be removed?

by Anonymousreply 133September 19, 2021 3:12 AM

There are definitely pros to term limits, but one thing I like about the existing rules is the opportunity for players to set and shatter all sorts of records which is pretty exciting. There would be no Ken Jennings, Julia Collins or Jadon Zuffranieri if there were limits. It's pretty cool to see how much people can accomplish and how much money they can win just based off their knowledge and strategy. It also makes the Jeopardy! Hall of Fame more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 134September 19, 2021 3:41 AM

I wish they'd go back to paying the 2nd and 3rd place contestants what they earned rather than the $2000 and $1000 prizes. It's not like the show can't afford it, and FJ wagering would be much more interesting.

by Anonymousreply 135September 19, 2021 3:56 AM

R135, Totally agree. They should be given what they earned.

by Anonymousreply 136September 19, 2021 4:00 AM

R134 Only seven contestants have gone past 12 games. I liked Julia and Jason, but 12 games of them were enough.

by Anonymousreply 137September 19, 2021 4:00 AM

I think contestants that lose to trivia titans should be allowed to compete again after the titans fall. How many trivia nuts are there in America anyway?

by Anonymousreply 138September 19, 2021 4:10 AM

I think that everyone should win equal amounts of money and get the same number of chances to compete so that it's more fair!

by Anonymousreply 139September 19, 2021 4:15 AM

I'd think that the possibility of retiring as a winner not condemned to ultimately walking off as a loser would help attract strong contestants.

by Anonymousreply 140September 19, 2021 4:40 AM

The first episode of Mayim's two week stint is airing tonight for the Saturday night reruns. Sigh, we'll miss you Alex.

by Anonymousreply 141September 19, 2021 5:08 AM

I had a bit of a crush on Jason, R137, and I found Julia to be a really cool person that I might actually like to know in real life. But, I grew to dislike James, and am thoroughly sick of Matt.

Seeing Mayim's show last night reminded me of what a normal game is supposed to look like.

by Anonymousreply 142September 19, 2021 9:38 AM

R131 champion Austin almost made me stop watching until he was beaten.....it was painful.

by Anonymousreply 143September 19, 2021 4:36 PM

Funny, I really liked Austin and appreciated his good sportsmanship during his initial run and in his tournament appearances. Nevertheless, I can totally understand how his personality grates on some people's nerves. It's really an acquired taste, LOL.

It sounds like most of you guys are in favor of term limits.

by Anonymousreply 144September 19, 2021 4:53 PM

His area of expertise is artificial intelligence, so maybe he’s created an Alexa chip that can be planted in your ear that feeds him the correct answers. He often looks like he’s straining to hear something when stalling with his answers.

by Anonymousreply 145September 19, 2021 8:15 PM

[quote]I had a bit of a crush on Jason, [R137], and I found Julia to be a really cool person that I might actually like to know in real life. But, I grew to dislike James, and am thoroughly sick of Matt.

I was in awe of James, watching him so expertly clear the board and win game after game. Even though he clearly lacked some social skills, I was rooting for him the whole time. Was very disappointed when he was defeated.

I was turned off by Jason almost from the start, but didn't dislike him. I was not rooting for him lose, but was not upset when he was defeated.

After initially admiring Matt, I have now come to dislike him. He's just annoying with his "Aw shucks" expressions at the beginning and end of each game. And the long pauses to come up with the answer definitely give the appearance of waiting for someone to feed him the answers, as r145 suggests. I am actively rooting for him to lose. Will be so happy to see him go down.

by Anonymousreply 146September 19, 2021 11:13 PM

America is waiting for this!

What's Matt losing?

by Anonymousreply 147September 20, 2021 5:14 PM

R146, What turned you off about Jason? He seemed a pretty unassuming guy.

by Anonymousreply 148September 20, 2021 6:35 PM

so glad Mike's run is over on the show

by Anonymousreply 149September 20, 2021 6:47 PM

It bothers me that a 46-year-old man's career and reputation are destroyed by some silly remarks he made on a podcast years ago.

by Anonymousreply 150September 20, 2021 8:05 PM

Mike’s pussy stinks! End.

by Anonymousreply 151September 20, 2021 11:21 PM

Matt got reallllly lucky that the female contestant also didn't know Who Framed Roger Rabbit was the answer for FJ - otherwise he would have actually lost tonight. As a kid of the 80's, I knew the answer right away.

by Anonymousreply 152September 21, 2021 12:00 AM

Yes, R150, the cancel culture - which has enforcers on both the right & the left - is seemingly incapable of not painting with a full brush.

by Anonymousreply 153September 21, 2021 12:05 AM

Anyone else laugh out loud when Carlo said Mozart composed Send in the Clowns?

by Anonymousreply 154September 21, 2021 12:15 AM

Yes, R154!

Kind of obvious Matt's tiring, all we need is someone good in his stronger categories like geography.

by Anonymousreply 155September 21, 2021 12:22 AM

Anyone catch Mayim saying “Correct. WHO IS…” after Matt’s typical “What’s…”? LOL

by Anonymousreply 156September 21, 2021 12:31 AM

Why was Mike Richards still listed as Executive Producer on tonight's first show with Mayim?

I like Mayim, but I think Brad Rutter should be given a chance to host. He is quite personable and huge former winner on the show as well. I also liked Buzzy. Ken is all right, but I really recall getting bored with him as I am with Matt for just being there for a long time. "Oh, him again?"

I do like Johnny Gilbert's now starting off every show with "From the Alex Trebek stage", now that they've stopped with the memoriam card at the end of the show.

by Anonymousreply 157September 21, 2021 12:52 AM

So, we’re getting Mayim & Ken the rest of the season and that’s it?

by Anonymousreply 158September 21, 2021 12:58 AM

I think Brad, for whatever reason, is unavailable.

R158: Mayim will be on for the next three weeks, and then Ken through the end of 2021. January 2022 onward = To Be Determined.

R157: I seem to recall that there's a small window between his quitting as host and losing EP job not long after that.

by Anonymousreply 159September 21, 2021 2:29 AM

To be fair, Mozart did write Eine kleine Nachtmusik, but he did not write Send in the Clowns...

by Anonymousreply 160September 21, 2021 3:06 AM

I thought sure that it was Vivaldi that wrote Senda In Da Clowns.

by Anonymousreply 161September 21, 2021 3:25 AM

Unlike Carlos, I couldn't get FJ, so I can't mock him for any of his wrong answers.

by Anonymousreply 162September 21, 2021 5:49 AM

Feels quite comfortable with Mayim as host.

Matt was smiling at her quite often. This was the first time Matt has had a female host, so I guess the smiling was a male socialization thing making him smile at females. Or maybe he was flirting with her (although I doubt he knows how to flirt).

Was really rooting for the woman to take Matt down. If only she'd known Roger Rabbit, she would have won.

I instantly knew Final was Roger Rabbit. Acetone, benzene & turpentine are the ingredients in the chemical solution which dissolves film. Thus, the Dip was what they threatened to use to kill various Toon characters in the movie.

Mike is still listed as EP because he was still EP for the three days worth of taping that Mayim did. He was fired immediately after she taped those three days.

by Anonymousreply 163September 21, 2021 9:20 AM

I could have thought for days on end and not remembered Roger Rabbit.

by Anonymousreply 164September 21, 2021 11:59 AM

I didn't know Final either, R162 and R164.

I inferred that she hinted at the challengers at the outset not to be intimidated by the champ.

by Anonymousreply 165September 21, 2021 12:02 PM

I had no idea re FJ either - but then I watched only about a half hour of Roger Rabbit when I saw it on cable back in the '80s. (I gave up on seeing the rest because I found it exhausting.)

Someone on the Matt Amodio thread said Carlos would need to move to Albuquerque and forge a new identity in order to live down the ordeal of the Mozart and Ricky Martin answers.

And I thought, "Albuquerque? Nothing less than Liechtenstein or Andorra is what he deserves."

Mayim's outfit made me think of the secular teachers from my Catholic grade school years - right down to the flat shoes.

My first thought on seeing her was, "OMG, it's Miss Delmonico!"

BTW, when you go to the Jeopardy website, you can see pics of the week's contestants.

For the first time that I can remember, there is no image for one of them - Melissa John Giusti, appearing tonight.

by Anonymousreply 166September 21, 2021 1:15 PM

R166, And if Carlo is looking for a roommate, he could give a call to the infamous "filibuster/calzone" contestant.

by Anonymousreply 167September 21, 2021 1:38 PM

R166, Here she is . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168September 21, 2021 1:49 PM

I thought Carlo was kinda cute.

by Anonymousreply 169September 21, 2021 4:32 PM

I sort-of knew the answer, but I would have written “Who Killed Roger Rabbit?

by Anonymousreply 170September 21, 2021 5:16 PM

In my mind, I was so sure Who Framed Roger Rabbit was released in the summer of 87.

by Anonymousreply 171September 21, 2021 6:59 PM

Matt needs to be cancelled for that shirt and tie combo. Horrible.

by Anonymousreply 172September 21, 2021 7:31 PM

The previous tie, which Mike gushed over, was wide enough I wondered if Grandpa had loaned it to him?

by Anonymousreply 173September 21, 2021 8:36 PM

Tonight, for the first time I was utterly bored watching Matt steamroll the other two players and felt like changing the channel.

by Anonymousreply 174September 22, 2021 1:22 AM

Anyone else wonder if the challenger had a funeral to attend that day?

I almost wonder if Matt is thinking "Won't someone just bear me already?" Interesting that he blew the computer science question like that.

by Anonymousreply 175September 22, 2021 1:27 AM

Yeah, very surprised that Matt didn’t recall Alan Turing.

These two challengers reminded me some of the early ones that Matt steamrolled over.

Mayim is doing a great job.

by Anonymousreply 176September 22, 2021 2:48 AM

Yep, he's a PhD student in computer science, how could he have missed the Turing question?

He's so inherently annoying one forgets that what's he's doing is quite remarkable.

by Anonymousreply 177September 22, 2021 3:07 AM

Second day in a row I missed a rabbity FJ.

Mayim already seems bored with steamroller Matt.

by Anonymousreply 178September 22, 2021 3:21 AM

Mike and Matt had a little romance going. Mayim is not having it.

by Anonymousreply 179September 22, 2021 4:55 AM

Final Jeopardy missed opportunity:

The dip used to kill characters in this 1988 film consisted of acetone, benzene & turpentine, ingredients of paint thinner.

What is Beaches?

by Anonymousreply 180September 22, 2021 5:26 AM

Yawn! Boring game. I'm so ready for Matt to be defeated.

Tonight was the first time after 25 games that they've specifically mentioned he's at Yale. I think its also the first time that they've said he was in computer science.

Weird that he is now smiling after giving each answer, sort of like the smile will help get his response ruled correct. He did NOT do that with the male hosts. Must be something about male socialization causing him to smile hopefully at the female host.

Even though I've never read the books, Beatrix Potter was what instantly came to mind for Final.

by Anonymousreply 181September 22, 2021 9:54 AM

[quote]Final Jeopardy missed opportunity: The dip used to kill characters in this 1988 film consisted of acetone, benzene & turpentine, ingredients of paint thinner. What is Beaches?

Mayim would have cracked up over that. But I doubt most people would have made the connection.

by Anonymousreply 182September 22, 2021 9:56 AM

[quote]He's so inherently annoying one forgets that what's he's doing is quite remarkable.

So true. Only other people to get this far have been Ken Jennings and James Holzhauer.

And he's fast approaching James' 32 game record. I sure hope Matt's gone before he hits game 32. I really don't want to see him surpass James record.

by Anonymousreply 183September 22, 2021 10:30 AM

Matt is not receiving anywhere near the same media attention that James Holzhauer and other longtime Jeopardy! contestants have.

When James was on his streak, David Muir was featuring it on the ABC Evening News nearly every evening.

by Anonymousreply 184September 22, 2021 10:36 AM

The challengers barely buzzed in at all, seemed fairly lifeless in general.

by Anonymousreply 185September 22, 2021 12:33 PM

Well, a subjective, unlikely observation: the challengers during this run seem really weak. Some with astonishingly clueless answers. There have been only a couple that seem really prepared to be good jeopardy players. Again, it's likely that many of these less-than-stellar players haven't been able to blossom and show their smarts because Matt just is quick and runs to board.

But... James would beat Matt 88% of the time.

by Anonymousreply 186September 22, 2021 3:09 PM

I still enjoy watching him.

by Anonymousreply 187September 22, 2021 4:24 PM

He's grown a bit more likeable, but it's high time for my suspenseful games.

WOF OT: If it came on after Jeopardy here (as I understand it does in NYC), absent a cute contestant, I'd switch it off. Was it really Rogers who came up with the new look - like something out of a really cheesy ancient video game graphic?

by Anonymousreply 188September 22, 2021 5:55 PM

R188, Forgotten already.

by Anonymousreply 189September 22, 2021 8:01 PM

James Holzhauer was getting lots of media attention in 2019 because of his long run as champ AND because he was breaking records for largest amounts scored each day.

James H has all 10 of the highest scoring days in Jeopardy history. See link below. James was often winning over $100,000 a game. That's was extremely newsworthy.

That's also why when James was defeated after 32 games, he left with $2.46 million.

Meanwhile, Matt at 25 games, hasn't even broken $1 million. He's at $893,000 currently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 22, 2021 10:25 PM

It may be that I'm just soooooooo tired of him, but now it seems like Matt smirks with each correct answer. Probably a nervous thing, but I kinda take it that way.

All I could think of for Final was something to do with World Trade Center.

by Anonymousreply 191September 23, 2021 12:06 AM

"Atlas Shrugged"?

by Anonymousreply 192September 23, 2021 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!