Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Benedict Cumberbatch discusses straight actors playing gay roles

The British actor is being tipped for awards for playing a sadistic, 1920s U.S. farmer drawn to a younger man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163February 22, 2022 4:53 AM

Why would it matter? Are we expecting gay actors to perform in a "gay" way? Seriously?

Nothing insultingly stereotypical about that. Despite the idiotic media pimping the likes of Billy Porter most gay men are just men who are gay - they are not performatively gay.

by Anonymousreply 1September 7, 2021 8:40 PM

Interesting this should come up, as years ago Cumberbatch's sexuality was a topic. But he's long past being the Internet Boyfriend, married and the father of two sons.

Rumours, as the Queen has phrased it, like recollections, may vary as to his actual inclinations.

I've just always thought him a pompous twat.

by Anonymousreply 2September 7, 2021 8:51 PM

Acting=pretending to be a character in a performance.

by Anonymousreply 3September 7, 2021 8:53 PM

More on this topic on this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 7, 2021 8:55 PM

He’s so ugly

by Anonymousreply 5September 7, 2021 8:55 PM

His parents sent him to a private English upper class boarding school. We all know what that means.

by Anonymousreply 6September 7, 2021 8:56 PM

Another brit I don't give a shit about.

His family also has some dark racist history.

Fuck him.

And why is he playing an American? Fuck him again!

by Anonymousreply 7September 7, 2021 9:40 PM

He looks like a bowling pin

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8September 7, 2021 9:49 PM

He is also rumored to be gay and one of the reason why he has to beard and have kids. I remembered the fugly ex girlfriend before he became famous here in the states. She looked like a faghag and his fake pr relationship with liv Tyler was laughable. His team initially wanted to sell him as this heartthrob who dated or was linked to different actress but he had zero chemistry with none of them.

by Anonymousreply 9September 7, 2021 9:58 PM

You usually have to be a pretty hot looking gay guy to get a pretty hot beard. Otherwise you just get the dregs. Even quality beards have their standards.

by Anonymousreply 10September 7, 2021 10:03 PM

He was awful as Alan Turing, just played him like he did his other famous character.

Miscast in August:Oscage County, how did he get that role?!

by Anonymousreply 11September 7, 2021 10:05 PM

The Brits and the Aussies always get on my fucking nerves. Why can't they stay in their own damn countries?

They're like cockroaches, they just keep coming back over here.

Fuck them!

by Anonymousreply 12September 7, 2021 10:13 PM

The only way to get a gay themed film made is to cast straight actors.

Gay actors get turned down for straight roles and gay roles.

And honestly, how many gay men have been given awards and accolades for playing straight? It's always hets getting nods of approval for their "acting" gay.

by Anonymousreply 13September 7, 2021 10:20 PM

Straight people make gay movies for awards, not because they care about us, our lives or our stories.

by Anonymousreply 14September 7, 2021 10:21 PM

Only murderers can play murderers...

by Anonymousreply 15September 7, 2021 10:23 PM

[quote]“One of the appeals of the job was the idea that in this world, with this specific character, there was a lot that was private, hidden from view.” “It wasn’t done without thought,” he continued. “I also feel slightly like, is this a thing where our dance card has to be public? Do we have to explain all our private moments in our sexual history? I don’t think so.”

In other words, he didn't want to do any icky gay stuff on camera.

by Anonymousreply 16September 7, 2021 10:24 PM

[quote]“I would say that there’s a lot in Peter that I relate to,” said Smit-McPhee. “Sure, I’m a straight man, but I’m extremely in touch with my feminine side. I was raised by my mother and my sister.

Someone please slap that boy.

by Anonymousreply 17September 7, 2021 10:25 PM

The logical definition of acting has gone out the window in the era of the whiney little representation Bitches, who should be pushed down a long flight of stairs.

by Anonymousreply 18September 7, 2021 10:26 PM

[quote] Only murderers can play murderers...

Call me... I'm available!

by Anonymousreply 19September 7, 2021 10:28 PM

[quote] He’s so ugly

He looks like a guy who was reasonably attractive before being hit in the face with a shovel repeatedly.

by Anonymousreply 20September 7, 2021 10:29 PM

R18 black actors play black characters, Asians, Asian; women, women. etc. Why can't gay actors occasionally get really good gay roles instead of just "nellie pet of straight character" roles?

by Anonymousreply 21September 7, 2021 10:31 PM

R21 Occasionally they do, and then there is nothing to complain about.

by Anonymousreply 22September 7, 2021 10:41 PM

Of course a gay actor playing a gay character would have to be out, comfortable with being out and willing to stay out. Some may calculate there is no percentage in that if they are also, already regularly playing straight roles. There are a few actors that are out and get cast in both roles, but right off hand I can think of maybe five, but I don't think the list is that long.

by Anonymousreply 23September 7, 2021 10:42 PM

R18 is the kind of guy who says he can't watch gay actors play straight roles because it's not believable.

by Anonymousreply 24September 7, 2021 10:43 PM

People who love Benedict (me!) probably were completely won over because of the first 2 seasons of the television show, "Sherlock Holmes." His work with Andrew Scott was better than what you would find in most feature films at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25September 7, 2021 10:48 PM

The overwhelming majority of actors (and people) are not gay. The problem is gay actors being seen as box office draws, not straight actors getting cast in gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 26September 7, 2021 11:30 PM

Hasn't NPH played straight roles since coming out? He's about the only example I can think of. Alan Cumming played a straight character on "The Good Wife" but he claims to be bisexual in real life, not gay, so not sure how much that counts.

by Anonymousreply 27September 8, 2021 1:40 AM

Matt Bomer has played lots of straight characters. He’s best known for being Neal Caffrey in White Collar.

by Anonymousreply 28September 8, 2021 12:25 PM

R12 talk about first world problems.

by Anonymousreply 29September 8, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote]Matt Bomer has played lots of straight characters. He’s best known for being Neal Caffrey in White Collar.

He was on WHITE COLLAR before he came out. Post coming out he's seemingly done largely gay/bi roles: Doom Patrol, The SInner, Papi Chulo, Boys in the Band, The Normal Heart, Will & Grace.

by Anonymousreply 30September 10, 2021 12:47 AM

Richard Armitage mostly play straight roles, no?

by Anonymousreply 31September 10, 2021 12:52 AM

I thought it was known in London theatre circles that Cumberbatch was bi.

by Anonymousreply 32September 10, 2021 12:54 AM

Luke Evans definitely plays more straight roles.

by Anonymousreply 33September 10, 2021 12:56 AM

I don't know why you're all ragging on Ben's looks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34September 10, 2021 12:56 AM

Jesus, R34. Trigger warning, please!

by Anonymousreply 35September 10, 2021 12:59 AM

At school they called him Bendydick Cumonmebaps.

by Anonymousreply 36September 10, 2021 1:01 AM

He pings. Always has.

And can’t keep track of whether he has 2 kids or 3.

He probably visits “home” quarterly, for IG and pap pics.

by Anonymousreply 37September 10, 2021 1:03 AM

As a gay man it doesn’t bother me one bit to see straight men and women playing gay, anymore than it should bother straights to see gay actors paying straight. It is ACTING. What the duck is wrong with these far far leftists??

by Anonymousreply 38September 10, 2021 1:12 AM

[quote]I don't know why you're all ragging on Ben's looks.

Kodi Smit-McPhee was in Bryan Singer's last X-Men film as Nightcrawler. I bet even Singer didn't want to touch him.

by Anonymousreply 39September 10, 2021 1:15 AM

Cumberbatch isn't classically handsome, but I've always found him handsome in an intriguing way.

No way he's never had a dick in his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 40September 10, 2021 1:16 AM

It bothers me that gay actors see a dip in their auditions and bookings when they come out. I won't see this Cumber movie, just like I didn't see Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci in their movie. It doesn't make me spitting mad. That said, I would like to see openly gay actors play gay roles.

by Anonymousreply 41September 10, 2021 1:31 AM

Like Hiddleston, what makes Cumberbatch sexy is that voice. Neither of them is what you'd call classically handsome, but their speaking voice makes up for what they lack in the looks department.

by Anonymousreply 42September 10, 2021 1:37 AM

I wouldn't say Hiddleston is bad-looking, he's just not model-esque and has to rely mainly on his charisma. Cumberbatch has the Innsmouth Look.

by Anonymousreply 43September 10, 2021 1:42 AM

R33 exactly. Luke Evans and Neil Patrick Harris mostly play straight.

by Anonymousreply 44September 10, 2021 1:48 AM

r25 Sherlock Is Garbage, And Here's Why

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45September 10, 2021 2:06 AM

Neil Patrick has a cameo in Gone Girl. That's his only significant str8 role after HIMYM.

by Anonymousreply 46September 10, 2021 2:07 AM

[quote] The British actor is being tipped for awards for playing a sadistic, 1920s U.S. farmer drawn to a younger man.

Is there any role they won't give this man?

by Anonymousreply 47September 10, 2021 2:10 AM

Caitlyn?

by Anonymousreply 48September 10, 2021 2:12 AM

Kodi apparently looks like r34 in his free time, but this is how he appears in the movie with Cumberbatch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49September 10, 2021 5:25 AM

R39, he was much too old!

by Anonymousreply 50September 10, 2021 7:48 AM

I am CLOSETED GAY. But play a gay role and then pretend to be a straight actor "bravely" taking the role"...Okay, Benny, Taron, Rami, etc etc. ....Talk about a GAY MINSTREL SHOW.

by Anonymousreply 51September 10, 2021 8:27 AM

I would see a provocative movie called “Gay Minstrel Show” about Hollywood Gays, but it might work bettter as a Broadway show.

by Anonymousreply 52September 10, 2021 12:10 PM

Wall eyed?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 10, 2021 3:03 PM

And they're not playing father and son?

by Anonymousreply 54September 10, 2021 7:53 PM

R53 i= Kodi s another Bryan Singer throw away.....No Thanks. People who protect the predators with their silence should not get any sympathy or "rave reviews".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 11, 2021 2:05 AM

He looks like a giant alien from outer space.

by Anonymousreply 56September 11, 2021 2:37 AM

[quote] anymore than it should bother straights to see gay actors paying straight

But straight people [bold]do not like watching gay men as leading men[/bold]. It is the reason Hollywood is closeted.

by Anonymousreply 57September 11, 2021 4:16 AM

"The Power of The Dog" is a brutal story, and I wonder if it inspired Annie Proulx to write Brokeback Mountain years later after writing the afterword for the book.

by Anonymousreply 58September 11, 2021 4:29 AM

I think no one can better play a gay role than a gay actor, and I'm sure there are plenty in tinsel town. But I'm also not for barring straight guys from getting the roles. All these closet cases want their oscar bait roles, and you can't get that unless your character is gay and the ending is tragic. Benedict already has a big gay role under his belt though. Greedy, much?

by Anonymousreply 59September 11, 2021 4:31 AM

[Quote] But straight people do not like watching gay men as leading men. It is the reason Hollywood is closeted.

Things change.

by Anonymousreply 60September 11, 2021 4:34 AM

[quote]There are a few actors that are out and get cast in both roles, but right off hand I can think of maybe five, but I don't think the list is that long.

And none of them could have played this character, who *presents* as uber macho and what a rancher in 1920s Montana would act like. No fucking way Bomer would have been able to do a credible job.

I saw the film tonight at TIFF and Cumberbatch and Kodi took questions afterwards. Kodi is very tall and so langly he seems unreal. Coltish is used too often, but the way he moves is much more graceful. I came away obsessed with the score by Johnny Greenwood. Its gorgeous. The cinematography and the locations were gorgeous. But the sound design is something else. I felt like I was in the room with them.

Cumberbatch was very good and magnetic, but the performance that really wowed me was Kirsten Dunst. She was utterly heartbreaking and incredible to watch. I mean, I know I should have expected it - Dunst has been delivering for a while now and her performance in Melancholia is an all-time great, but I am willing to bet that Campion was happy enough to have Moss leave the project. I really hope Dunst is remembered at awards time. There was something about watching another person be made to feel small and stupid that was really devastating to watch. Lol I almost felt triggered.

And Kodi was wonderful. It's a beautiful performance and the ending just really - I can't rave enough about it. I fucking LOVED it.

by Anonymousreply 61September 11, 2021 4:53 AM

^ *gangly, oops.

by Anonymousreply 62September 11, 2021 4:55 AM

[quote] I came away obsessed with the score by Johnny Greenwood.

Jonny Greenwood did the score? That alone makes me want to see this.

by Anonymousreply 63September 11, 2021 5:01 AM

Macho? Call Cumberbatch!

by Anonymousreply 64September 11, 2021 5:04 AM

R17 You have stated your boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 65September 11, 2021 5:09 AM

Both Cumberbach and Kodi Smit-McPhee's chracters could have been played by gay actors and it would have been fine.

Evan Todd or Zachary Quinto would've been wonderful as Phil. Cody Fern is a better actor than Smit-McPhee.

by Anonymousreply 66September 11, 2021 5:13 AM

I'm not familiar with this movie but I was impressed with Jonathan Groff in Mindhunter.

by Anonymousreply 67September 11, 2021 5:20 AM

Actually, any of the DL twinks could have done justice to Peter. Hazier, Froy, Jessup or even Flynn can play vulnerable better. Smit-McPhee is so bland.

by Anonymousreply 68September 11, 2021 5:33 AM

[quote]Evan Todd or Zachary Quinto would've been wonderful as Phil.

That's a joke, right? Evan Todd??? This guy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69September 11, 2021 5:38 AM

This thing is being done by Jane Campion.

So we know it will be pretentious, vague and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 70September 11, 2021 5:39 AM

If gayface is still tolerated then Blackface should be, too.

by Anonymousreply 71September 11, 2021 5:43 AM

[quote] This guy?

Fuuuck! Thanks for reminding us Evan is still hot. At least he's not another smarmy Brit who looks ridiculous playing cowboy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 11, 2021 5:48 AM

Yes, I am sure that EVAN TODD is a better actor than Benedict Cumberbatch and would definitely be a draw.

You're an idiot, Oracle.

by Anonymousreply 73September 11, 2021 6:38 AM

Heterosexuality should have died with the last episode of [italic]Small Wonder[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 74September 11, 2021 6:42 AM

Rather unfortunate Benedict Cumberbatch almost wholly favors his father. Wanda Ventham (the mother) was a great beauty in her day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75September 11, 2021 9:20 AM

Happy family...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76September 11, 2021 9:21 AM

He's got his mother's face.

by Anonymousreply 77September 11, 2021 9:26 AM

Not to derail a thread about her son, but anyone up for a film camp fest check out "Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter". It stars Wanda Ventham, and Horst Janson. Latter spends much of film in tight trousers that leave little to imagination.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 11, 2021 9:28 AM

What happens at the end of the film/story please?

by Anonymousreply 79September 11, 2021 10:17 AM

I used to really like Benedict Cumberbatch before he became famous. But I do believe any actor can play any role and it will turn out somewhere between great great and downright awful.

As for this Jane Campion film - she is a spent force. And how the fuck is she (she lives in Australia) and other filmmakers able to come and leave Australia without any problem but people who apply to leave for a dying relative (like a dying mother or father) can't leave the fucking country.

Hope Jane doesn't bring COVID back with her, the filthy privileged cunt.

by Anonymousreply 80September 11, 2021 10:21 AM

R34 Is that Kodi-Shit McPhee?

by Anonymousreply 81September 11, 2021 10:28 AM

R68 there's no way Froy could score a role like this.

by Anonymousreply 82September 11, 2021 11:42 AM

I figured he was gay, but it seems obvious that his wife used the old pregnancy trap on him.

by Anonymousreply 83September 11, 2021 11:51 AM

You do have to wonder why American gay directors have such a low appetite for gay storytelling. There is an abundance of gay American literature waiting to be made into a film or streaming series.

by Anonymousreply 84September 11, 2021 4:15 PM

At best, Wanda Ventham was a bootleg Honor Blackman.

by Anonymousreply 85September 11, 2021 4:19 PM

Interesting info about how Campion prepped him for the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86September 12, 2021 3:11 AM

Benedict looks like he's been eating good.

by Anonymousreply 87September 12, 2021 3:18 AM

Haha glad he didn't win the Volpi Cup as he was desperate for. He's such a try-hard desperado

by Anonymousreply 88September 12, 2021 12:08 PM

What is it about Venice and abortion?

Vera Drake won the Golden Lion back in 2004. Now this French film. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 89September 12, 2021 12:14 PM

I just watched him in The Courier on Prime. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 90September 12, 2021 12:18 PM

R86 Jesus Christ is that Dionne Warwick in there?

by Anonymousreply 91September 12, 2021 12:19 PM

So, conversely, no gay actors allowed to play bi, straight, trans. EVERYBODY stay in your lane. Got it. Funny, I thought it was acting. Part of which was stretching, growing, learning. .I am so dumb. Times change. Everybody needs to just play a version of themselves. Got it! Thanks acting gestapo. Think I'll watch something from the past where actors & actresses(imagine using this word, gestapo will be at my door any minute to arrest me) are Allowed to really act..as in be someone who they aren't.

In this age of stay in your lane..Question is how are we going to handle characters from the past. Are wegoing to have to dig up dead people to play 18th century characters?

by Anonymousreply 92September 12, 2021 12:32 PM

This man looks like a praying mantis. How is he a thing?

by Anonymousreply 93September 12, 2021 12:39 PM

[Quote] So, conversely, no gay actors allowed to play bi, straight, trans. EVERYBODY stay in your lane.

Nonsense. Gay actors are discriminated against. That's the point. It makes the "bravery" of straight actors (or "straight" actors) playing gay roles even more offensive.

by Anonymousreply 94September 12, 2021 1:26 PM

For poster upthread, he has two kids. His wife got pregnant a third time and they lost the baby. She was past the first trimester, too, with real bump, so something obviously went very wrong. No public announcement was ever made, so as she was 40 at the time and would have had amniocentesis, they may have aborted a Down's baby. Just a guess.

by Anonymousreply 95September 12, 2021 3:11 PM

R92 It's only stay in your lanw6if you're white and hetero.

It's a testament to the commitment to inclusivity that they let a Muggle play Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 96September 12, 2021 3:14 PM

What a crock. "Str8 Whites Are UNDER ATTACK!?11!?"

by Anonymousreply 97September 12, 2021 3:15 PM

From r86's post:

Cumberbatch admitted to being this year’s “it girl,” with multiple releases including producing and starring in “The Electrical Life of Louis Wain” at the festival. To prepare for the role of Phil Burbank in “The Power of the Dog,” he went to a dude camp in Montana to learn such ranching skills as working with animals, horse-riding, horseshoe hammering, rope-braiding, and castrating a bull calf. He also had to master whittling wood, whistling, and playing the banjo.

“I felt secure and emboldened,” said Cumberbatch. “Campion gave me that dance floor, and left the camera on me to let things come up. I got full rein to be [Phil Burbank], that freedom opened up our creativity. It’s a unique lens on toxic masculinity.”

by Anonymousreply 98September 12, 2021 3:27 PM

Isn't there a running joke about how a lot of the actors who play the straight love interest in those Hallmark holiday movies gay in real life? Of course, the point would be that they're not out, which was the only way they could get those jobs (Luke McFarlane excepted).

by Anonymousreply 99September 12, 2021 4:29 PM

[quote]Everybody needs to just play a version of themselves.

Yet gay actors are not even allowed to play themselves, or be themselves out in public.

by Anonymousreply 100September 12, 2021 4:42 PM

R34 Is that the new version of Mr. Potato Head?

by Anonymousreply 101September 12, 2021 8:11 PM

Just watched the movie. It was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 102September 13, 2021 11:41 PM

Screener?

by Anonymousreply 103September 14, 2021 12:02 AM

R98, there's that trademark Cumberbatch insufferability. Speechifying, boring, and ever-so-slightly superior.

by Anonymousreply 104September 14, 2021 12:06 AM

I’m fine with him and any straight actor playing gay (as long as they’re hot and as long as there are BELIEVABLE rumors about them being gay or bi in real life).

But he lost me with that “I’m in touch with my feminine side” comment. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 105September 14, 2021 12:14 AM

That's how straight people see gay people. That's news to you?

by Anonymousreply 106September 14, 2021 12:15 AM

Oh dear. This looks like two hours of mountain scenery.

But Jane Campion doesn't know how to do human characters. They're all either wordless, mute and dumb.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107September 14, 2021 12:17 AM

I guess we have Dan Levy to thank for perpetuating that, R106.

by Anonymousreply 108September 14, 2021 12:17 AM

Not speaking makes you less human?

by Anonymousreply 109September 14, 2021 12:18 AM

The interwebs r103

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2021 12:19 AM

The joke was that Campion specializes in those characters because they’re simpler to present, R109. Don’t take offense.

by Anonymousreply 111September 14, 2021 12:19 AM

I don't think non speaking characters are easier to present. They're certainly harder to act.

by Anonymousreply 112September 14, 2021 12:23 AM

Cumberbatch's character sexuality was so subtle that it was almost non-existent. For the majority of the film he's just a petulant, cruel asshole.

by Anonymousreply 113September 14, 2021 12:26 AM

Jane Campion's characters stand in front of the camera and the audience is expected to fill in all the blanks.

Campion seems to want to replicate Brokeback Mountain which is a lot more refined with nuances.

by Anonymousreply 114September 14, 2021 12:27 AM

[quote] Cumberbatch's character sexuality

Was there any flesh or erotic moments?

by Anonymousreply 115September 14, 2021 12:30 AM

[quote]Was there any flesh or erotic moments?

Cumberbatch's ass a few times, a quick glimpse of a bit of his dick while bathing. There is a scene that is supposed to be erotic where he's masturbating (you don't see anything, just him with his hand down his pants).

by Anonymousreply 116September 14, 2021 12:34 AM

He has a womanly ass.

by Anonymousreply 117September 14, 2021 12:40 AM

R114, I don't have a problem with filling in the blanks. it makes for a better conversation after the movie when talking with your friends. Everybody will have a different view on things...but hey that's just me. Imagination is a good thing right? Haven't seen the movie yet, looking forward to it

by Anonymousreply 118September 14, 2021 12:48 AM

[quote] tight trousers that leave little to imagination.

R78 I heard those kind of penis-displayng trousers were invented by Beau Brummell. I could be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 119September 14, 2021 1:06 AM

We’ve already seen the whole magilla from Benedict, haven’t we? In one of those cloud hacking naked photo leaks? “The Fappening” or whatever retarded name it was given.

by Anonymousreply 120September 14, 2021 1:09 AM

No, he wasn't one of the leaked phone pics.

by Anonymousreply 121September 14, 2021 1:17 AM

R53 That pay-walled article claims this young, able-bodied, International movie star who stars in multi-million dollar movies has "Real-Life Battles".

I wonder what those battles could be?

by Anonymousreply 122September 14, 2021 1:19 AM

Yes, R12, they force Americans to cast them.

Is it tough being a genius?

by Anonymousreply 123September 14, 2021 1:25 AM

He only had one long-term girlfriend before his wife, the actress Olivia Poulet, who gained a ton of weight while they were together and always looked miserable. The only other woman he was seen in the company of was his mother. They frequently attended flower shows in London together (see link). He had a house in Mykonos that he called "my secret place." Draw your own conclusions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 14, 2021 1:29 AM

R46, that is not a cameo. A cameo is more of a brief, surprise appearance, like Carrie Fisher in Scream 3 or Sarah Michelle Gellar in She's All That. NPH had a significant supporting role in Gone Girl.

As for his straight role in HIMYM, that is a CARICATURE he is playing. It's not evidence that people buy him as a straight romantic lead. His character is so campy that arguably, him being gay is what makes the character work.

by Anonymousreply 125September 14, 2021 2:06 AM

Watching the movie, I was reminded of what a beautiful ass Cumberbatch has.

by Anonymousreply 126September 14, 2021 2:26 AM

Can someone confirm if Cumberbatch’s nudes were hacked and leaked, or was it the similarly odd looking Matt Smith?

by Anonymousreply 127September 14, 2021 2:32 AM

[quote] "The Power of The Dog"

What part does the dog play in this supposedly gay movie?

by Anonymousreply 128September 14, 2021 2:36 AM

I've never heard about it either, R127. The only detail I know about his equipment is from this blog post reviewing the National Theatre (Cumberbatch/Jonny Lee Miller) Frankenstein, in which the actors alternately playing the Monster were completely nude during the first 10 minutes of the play. The phrase "baby carrot" was employed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129September 14, 2021 2:37 AM

Pardon me, "Creature," not "Monster."

by Anonymousreply 130September 14, 2021 2:42 AM

[quote] The phrase "baby carrot" was employed.

How cruel!

by Anonymousreply 131September 14, 2021 2:44 AM

I think it was Matt Smith I was thinking of. There don’t seem to be any nudes of Cumberbund online.

by Anonymousreply 132September 14, 2021 2:52 AM

It was Matt Smith. Not a bad dick at all. I'd ride it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133September 14, 2021 3:15 AM

R108 Dan is a doll. And I like my men hairy. I'd like to engage in some enthusiastic frottage with him. Come for me. I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 134September 14, 2021 4:19 AM

[quote]] That pay-walled article claims this young, able-bodied, International movie star who stars in multi-million dollar movies has "Real-Life Battles". I wonder what those battles could be?

He has ankylosing spondylitis/chronic arthritis. He was diagnosed in his teens. It causes mobility issues and fatigue. He said, not knowing any better, he once called in sick while doing a film and caused issues for the production. He says Fox was very helpful when he did X-Men and got him a stunt man and a massage therapist; but because he has flares up when he's nervous (and he's nervous when he starts a new job), on his first day the stunt man had to double for him just walking down stairs.

by Anonymousreply 135September 14, 2021 5:57 AM

[quote]how many gay men have been given awards and accolades for playing straight?

For one, David Hyde Pierce won Emmy and SAG for playing Dr. Niles Crane on Frasier, R13.

by Anonymousreply 136September 14, 2021 2:49 PM

Jim Parsons won Emmy and the Globe for playing Sheldon on Big Bang Theory, for another.

by Anonymousreply 137September 14, 2021 2:53 PM

If Frasier were made today, Niles would be gay. Times were different back then. Even characters who were huge flamers had to be written as straight.

by Anonymousreply 138September 14, 2021 2:55 PM

[quote]If Frasier were made today, Niles would be gay.

Poor Daphne. She ends up with Donny.

by Anonymousreply 139September 14, 2021 2:59 PM

Watched the film today. It's not bad but actually not much gay stuff there, much less than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 140September 14, 2021 4:00 PM

[quote] much less than I expected.

You should expect nothing when you pay to go and see a Campion film.

by Anonymousreply 141September 14, 2021 4:03 PM

Cumberbatch is a really good actor and I think his work is always worth checking out, but yeah, Campion films are not pleasant experiences.

by Anonymousreply 142September 14, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote] Cumberbatch is a really good actor and I think his work is always worth checking out....

I love his acting, too, but you don't need to check out his performance in "August: Osage County." It was a very small part, but he shouldn't have done it, and that goes for a lot of the people in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 143September 14, 2021 4:46 PM

[quote]It was a very small part, but he shouldn't have done it, and that goes for a lot of the people in the cast.

One of the biggest problems with August : Osage County" was that it was a package deal and the writer/producers/majority of the cast were repped by the same agency. The casting suffered due to trying to keep everything in-house.

by Anonymousreply 144September 14, 2021 4:50 PM

Cumberbatch was the weakest link in August Osage County. The main characters were are well cast.

The film's biggest problem was that the short screenplay diluted the characters, removed important scenes and generally didn't have a long enough running time to do the story justice.

by Anonymousreply 145September 14, 2021 4:59 PM

R119

Cannot say who invented what when, but Horst Janson parading about in tight trousers was largely only reason why didn't change channel. Hammer vampire films tend to be hilarious camp fests, and "Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter", didn't fall short on that score.

Usually it's all heaving bosoms and great expanses of cleavage, that does nothing for one at all....

by Anonymousreply 146September 15, 2021 3:29 AM

Cheers to both posters who have likened him to a bowling pin, AND a preying mantis. Hilarious, and spot on!

I'd be lying if I said I had no interest in seeiing this film, and probably will see it, yet I've had more than sufficient time gazing upon Cumonmebitch's alien face. Surely they could have found a much better looking actor [italic] who just so happenned to be gay [/italic]. Someone apparently didn't bother with looking hard enough.

by Anonymousreply 147September 17, 2021 2:47 AM

Here we go again..Only gay actors can play gay characters shit. Now for fair play Only straight actors can play straight characters. Only dead actors can play characters from historical times.

by Anonymousreply 148September 17, 2021 2:53 AM

R148 Please note I didn't say that. I generally find it wise to avoid never, always, all, every, etc. I'm as keen on any sweeping generalisations as I am on absolutes and non-absolutes.

What I do find a bit more than disconcerting however is just how many gay characters, especially those from real life stories ARE played by straight actors... Trés fatigué!

Surely there are gay actors available. Shouldn't we support them, and at least insist on some consideration? It would be refreshing to hear someone say we looked for a gay actor, but... or we really envisioned so-and-so for the role, but he was inavailable due to scheduling or prior commitment. I think many say there are so few roles for obviously gay, or "out" gay actors; let them have consideration for actual gay roles then. I would be more interested if the actor was actually gay. The chemistry for one is much more believable to me.

by Anonymousreply 149September 17, 2021 11:12 PM

^unavailable

by Anonymousreply 150September 17, 2021 11:16 PM

[quote] I would be more interested if the actor was actually gay. The chemistry for one is much more believable to me.

What's interesting is when you have a closeted gay or bi actor the chemistry is off the charts. Even when they're playing a straight character and have a male friend. Chris Pine and Tom Hardy in that stupid Reese Witherspoon movie come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 151September 17, 2021 11:21 PM

R151 I can't disagree with you there. (especially with your examples) Even if there's just a bit of latent bisexual tendency, it's still something, dare I say "natural" to them. Both cases certainly aid in the chemistry.

If the role features no sex, or the character is somewhat sexless, I suppose it matters less to me. Same as some hetties claim trés gay are not always convincing enough as leading men in say a romance, or Rom-Com.

I can think of some older gay actors who would be great in such sexual roles. I'm not being an activist really, but parity seems like a good idea, when believable. I think it's fair to wish for more representation, as other minorties do.

by Anonymousreply 152September 17, 2021 11:34 PM

The reviews of This Means War said that Pine and Hardy had really hot chemistry with each other, and none with Reese.

by Anonymousreply 153September 17, 2021 11:53 PM

R153 It could have been that pointy chin, or....

by Anonymousreply 154September 17, 2021 11:59 PM

Cumberbatch has already appeared nude onstage, in "Frankenstein". He traded off the part of the doctor and the monster with Jonny Lee. So his ass (which seemed quite appealing in photos) and a bit of his manhood have already been on view. Scroll down the photos for his nude scene in "Frankenstein".

Like most actors, he's a thorough-going exhibitionist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155September 18, 2021 12:41 AM

Harry Styles is playing the lead in My Policeman and he isn't lgbt.

by Anonymousreply 156September 18, 2021 12:43 AM

There's a couple ass shots and a brief flash of his cock in this movie, the screencaps should be online soon.

by Anonymousreply 157September 18, 2021 1:17 AM

R156 Is that the movie about E. M. Forester and his younger lover who was a married policeman and they are were basically in a throuple?

by Anonymousreply 158September 18, 2021 1:25 AM

R156 Styles should just go back to his Sara Lee job.

by Anonymousreply 159September 19, 2021 4:33 AM

Unless he is getting bottomed on camera he's just another bullshitting low-talent English export

by Anonymousreply 160September 19, 2021 4:40 AM

so what's the sizemeat situation here? cut or uncut?

by Anonymousreply 161February 22, 2022 4:07 AM

R28 When they were casting 50 Shades of Gray, the book's fans wanted him to play the main guy and he was out then, and played straight in Magic Mike.

Oh and in that interview, Cumberbitch comes across as gaybaiting and thirsty for an Oscar. He reminds me of James Franco.

by Anonymousreply 162February 22, 2022 4:34 AM

any pictures of his family? his parents? he looks quite weird.

by Anonymousreply 163February 22, 2022 4:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!