Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anybody watch Only Murders in the Building on Hulu yet?

First episode’s OK. Steve Martin and Martin Short are good. Selena Gomez is…pretty. Her flat line readings already drive me crazy. Short plays a Broadway director-a hetero one. Which is stupid. The costume department obviously didn’t get the memo.

by Anonymousreply 140September 16, 2021 7:10 PM

As I kid, I adored these guys. They were the epitome of hip comedy to my teenage self. Which is why it's so upsetting to see them become codgers.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2021 6:11 PM

I slogged thought the first episode, then went to sleep during the second.

There might be a good idea for a mystery comedy there, but it has been ruined by stretching it out into 10 episodes.

Martin and Short are their reliable selves, but Selena Gomez is godawful and makes the threesome getting together unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2021 6:20 PM

[quote]Selena Gomez is godawful and makes the threesome getting together unbelievable.

[quote]Selena Gomez is…pretty. Her flat line readings already drive me crazy.

All true, except the pretty part. Her delivery is just off as if she couldn't move her jaw.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2021 8:53 PM

What the fuck is up with the show’s opening sequence credits, which completely has nothing to do with where they actually live in the building, that made no sense and threw the whole thing off for me?

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2021 10:19 PM

Not enough Jackie Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2021 1:59 AM

I really liked the first episode, Selena Gomez I think is supposed to be really stiff and off-putting, hopefully that will change as the series goes on.

Not sure we can say for certain that Martin Short's character is straight.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2021 7:19 AM

[Quote] Selena Gomez is…pretty.

Lol i feel like this gets said alot in reviews for her movies/tv shows.

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2021 7:23 AM

Love the first episode. The no-nonsense detective's tantrum about true crime podcasts was hilarious.

I have not yet seen episode two and three (which are also available so far), but Mabel acts so incredibly shifty beyond the opening scene (and the final scene). Must be one epic misdirection if it's supposed to be a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2021 7:33 AM

I think Charles (Steve Martin) is the murderer. He noticed the guy in that flimsy protective gear running up the stairs while everybody else was running down (probably followed him) and him showing up in the courtyard is way later than the viewer assumes. I think he's some kind of sociopath like Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgley) in You where Charles is obsessed Mabel. The neighbor extra in episode one mentions a Lucy to Charles which could hint to a previous obsession of his.

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2021 8:10 AM

I watched the first three episodes and enjoyed them. It's such a fun show. Steve Martin and Martin Short are hilarious. Gomez and her clenched jaw are the weak links for me.

Not sure who the killer is yet. Maybe the cop from E01 was right -- it's just a suicide and the true crime fans are making things up. That said, Oscar going to prison for 10 years for a crime that he didn't commit -- who really pushed Zoe off the roof? I'm thinking it has to be Oscar's dad, the building super. Son doing time so his dad doesn't have to is the only thing that makes sense.

I also think Oliver might have planted some of the evidence that they think indicates murder. He is broke and needs a comeback. He's desperate to make this a podcast and more.

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2021 3:12 PM

I watched the first three episodes during last night's storm but it was raining so hard that I missed some of the dialogue.

[quote]The neighbor extra in episode one mentions a Lucy to Charles which could hint to a previous obsession of his.

I missed this, I guess I need to give episodes 1-3 a re-watch before episode 4 becomes available.

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2021 4:47 PM

The current obsession with true crime is fucking weird.

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2021 4:58 PM

I haven't watched the episode, but just from the trailer, Steve and Martin REALLY come across as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2021 6:20 PM

I first saw Selena in A Rainy Day In New York and she was quite excellent. (A boring film by the way) If she's bad in this it was likely her director. I won't go on Hulu because they won't accept gift cards and It's not clear if they will ever stop charging your credit card.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2021 7:56 PM

Hulu also accepts PayPal and Venmo.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2021 8:04 PM

[quote]I won't go on Hulu because they won't accept gift cards and It's not clear if they will ever stop charging your credit card.

I use a credit card and cancelled Hulu for a good year or so without problems.

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2021 11:46 AM

Is Mabel supposed to be on drugs or unknowingly being drugged?

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2021 11:53 AM

R14 she's not bad, just mediocre. She should be on a sitcom instead of trying to be a pop star.

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2021 3:29 PM

I was so excited for this. (100% on Rotten Tomatoes) Unfortunately I was underwhelmed. One episode in and I decided to abort.

by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2021 4:28 PM

I'm calling the TX Attorney General r19!

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2021 4:31 PM

R20 - Bravo my friend.

by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2021 4:39 PM

Don't forget the attorney's fees r21!

I sure won't.

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2021 6:28 PM

I know the brave new world of subscriptions is confusing and scary for the elders, so a good rule of thumb is to always use PAYPAL. If Paypal supports the company, they are legitimate. Paypal generally sides with customers in any dispute, even if they're wrong. My netflix and hulu are through paypal. I also have never had an issue subscribing or quickly unsubscribing from any streaming service. You can sign up, the payment goes through, and then immediately cancel before you watch a single show and still get your 30 days. if you get a free 30 days, you can cancel immediately so you arent rebilled and still get your 30 days

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2021 8:32 PM

[quote]Paypal generally sides with customers in any dispute, even if they're wrong.

They don't, at least not anymore. I had Paypal side with an eBay seller when I got scammed, and with DoorDash when I didn't actually receive my order. I wouldn't be recommending people use Paypal to make things easier or reduce potential overcharges.

by Anonymousreply 24September 4, 2021 10:57 AM

show must be really compelling if we're talking about PayPal

by Anonymousreply 25September 4, 2021 2:05 PM

Get a prepaid credit card and use that.

by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2021 2:22 PM

It's meh. Selena Gomez is a personality, not an actress. I can't believe they're still trying to make her happen. Too bad they didn't cast a real actress in the role.

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2021 3:58 PM

There was already another thread about this.

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2021 9:55 PM

What are you the fucking thread police? Get fucked.

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2021 9:56 PM

[quote] What are you the fucking thread police? Get fucked. [quote]

You have no right to talk to me that way. Maybe I am the thread police. Maybe I should detain you. How would you like that?

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2021 10:16 PM

Two threads on this show and folks at each directing people to the other one. I love DL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2021 12:29 PM

It’s cute. I’m enjoying it. Woody Allen lite. Fun to see an old-ish NY without the Covid nightmare and hurricanes using a setting that’s a combo of the Apthorp and Ansonia buildings. Steve seems a bit checked out, and Selena is good one second and not the next. Martin is great, he seems really into it. I’ll follow through with it. It’s nice little slice of comfort cake.

by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2021 1:09 PM

I’m enjoying this even more than White Lotus!

Steve Martin is 76 but I’d still fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2021 5:27 PM

Selena Gomez reminds me of a young Madonna in that she's incapable of reading one line correctly.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2021 5:32 PM

R34 that’s a problem with most millennial actresses

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2021 7:42 PM

The show meanders, as do so many nowadays or they roll at breakneck methhead speed.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2021 7:43 PM

Can we talk about the episodes that have aired so far?

Charles makes omelettes for someone named Lucy and immediately throws them away, who is Lucy?

In episode 3, when Oliver talks about losing his family Charles says something like “it happens, believe me I know,” could Lucy be an ex-wife or daughter? More likely a daughter because a neighbor asks about her says to tell her hello.

Where is Mabel’s aunt?

Does anyone in Zoe’s family still live on the 11th floor?

Oliver lights the fireplace before he sits down to listen to the podcast despite there being a rule against using fireplaces.

Charles’ nose bleeds when he’s anxious remind me of Niles Crane’s nose bleeds when he lies, maybe Charles’ bleeding is cause by lying and not anxiety?

What’s going on with Nathan Lane’s son (I don’t remember his name)?

Given how long Charles & Oliver have lived in the building, do you think Mabel has been inside their apartments before? Did Mable & her friends steal from everyone or only certain people?

Charles moves the picture of Sting and puts it on top of another picture, who was in the picture he covered?

Tim was fired from an investment firm for losing a client a lot of money… Oliver?

Was the handwriting on the note on Oliver’s door the same as one of the “suicide notes” in the trash?

In the preview after episode 3 you can see tie dye hoodie guy has a mustache.

I like the Police and I like Sting’s music but I don’t like Sting.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2021 8:25 PM

Glad they did the Steve Martin tv show flashback

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2021 9:19 PM

My theory: Steve Martin’s character is deranged and wants to relive his glory days so he commits the murder to lead the “investigation”

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2021 9:23 PM

I've watched through episode 3 and so far it's pretty good! The New York Who's Who's among the building tenants is hilarious.

I'm curious about who cocained the dog - he mentioned cocaine to another tenant in an earlier episode, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 40September 5, 2021 9:25 PM

I'm curious about Nathan Lane's son too. They keep introducing these characters that all have something Different about them and it's pretty fun to find out.

Why was the murdered guy storing obviously stolen jewelry in the Hardy Boy's books?

by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2021 9:27 PM

Also, Steve Martin's character said the cat guy was clearly acting when he fainted from the sight of blood, I wonder what's up with that :-o

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2021 9:29 PM

I'm really curious why they had Selena Gomez playing the Mysterious Woman and taking up so much screentime - she's not the best actress. Does she have lockjaw?

by Anonymousreply 43September 5, 2021 9:30 PM

Selena should be credited as ‘Dissociative Millennial Cunt’

by Anonymousreply 44September 5, 2021 9:31 PM

r4 they evoke a somewhat updated-mood version of the opening credits (sort of) for PBS's Mystery! series. Animated and flat.

by Anonymousreply 45September 5, 2021 9:34 PM

Is Selena botoxed and Lexapro’d? She’s so dead and non-emotive.

by Anonymousreply 46September 5, 2021 9:34 PM

Who is this mysterious Aunt of Selena's? Why do we never see construction people working in the apartment if it's being remodeled? And where is all the furniture?

by Anonymousreply 47September 5, 2021 9:38 PM

This show is a great example of how Millennials have no personality and Baby Boomers are still interesting

by Anonymousreply 48September 5, 2021 9:42 PM

Martin and Short have great chemistry together. They even do well with Gomez, despite her various issues.

I love Shorts' character's apartment decor - it's so elaborate and theatrical and cozy. Martins' is cold and functional and masculine, and Selena's is a barren mess, which are pretty good reflections of their characters.

by Anonymousreply 49September 5, 2021 9:46 PM

That was an electric fireplace in Martin's apartment. Maybe Lucy is Steve Martin's ex. He murdered her and told people she left him.

by Anonymousreply 50September 5, 2021 9:48 PM

Fun fact I found out from someone on the crew (don’t ask me who the murderer is because she won’t tell me):

In the third episode there’s a scene where Martin and Gomez’ character meet with the tenant whose cat just died. The actor playing the tenant had just recovered from a second bout with Covid and had tested negative so was no longer considered infectious. Gomez was still very uncomfortable being near him in a scene, though. So what happened was a photo double was hired to “play” the scene with Martin and Gomez when the camera was on them. As this was happening the actual actor sat in a cubicle thirty feet away with a monitor and would say his lines to them. When the camera turned around to the tenant character the actor stepped in and they used two photo doubles to play Martin and Gomez’ characters in the scene. They, of course, did the dialogue with him, not Martin and Gomez. If they’re ever in the same frame together that’s because they used a split screen (like the bit when the tenant fainted).

by Anonymousreply 51September 5, 2021 9:48 PM

Too bad Woody Allen is canceled, he would have excelled at directing this and probably pulled a decent performance out of Selena the wooden board.

by Anonymousreply 52September 5, 2021 9:49 PM

It does feel like a Woody Allen movie, but I think they're doing better than they would have with him directing. His films tend to get bogged down in character dialogue, whereas the dialogue in this one feels natural and not like you're watching a play.

by Anonymousreply 53September 5, 2021 9:51 PM

r51

[quote]The actor playing the tenant had just recovered from a second bout with Covid

So we now know that the actor was a total whore!

by Anonymousreply 54September 5, 2021 10:14 PM

I just can't with Selena Gomez. She is talentless, her line reading are flat and she's a void of charisma. They needed to cast that role with an actress who can actually act.

by Anonymousreply 55September 5, 2021 11:14 PM

Can't believe that anyone is getting into this beyond the first episode which was somewhat amusing and promising. Second episode was boring and the third was outrageously awful. I'm old so Selena is new to me and I'm SHOCKED at how utterly charmless and amateurish she is. She doesn't seem to me to believe in the dialogue she's being asked to spout, so maybe she's not so stupid. But if she's what the kids love these days than maybe Beanie Feldstein IS the new Barbra Streisand.

Oh, but I do love the opening credits and wish the series had the wit and charm they have.

by Anonymousreply 56September 5, 2021 11:29 PM

I'm also very skeptical of these various "clues" some of you are chatting about. I'll be surprised if the solution to this has any logic or reason.

I believe the actor playing Nathan's son is actually deaf, as is his character, FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 57September 5, 2021 11:32 PM

I don't mind Gomez, I haven't seen her in anything else and for me, the way she's playing it fits perfectly of what you think of when you think Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 58September 5, 2021 11:43 PM

R56 ummm is that supposed to be a compliment to Beano?

From the Let’s Be The Mirror Has Two Faces Thread:

I'm the corny, unfunny dialog intended to make Barbra's character plucky, self-deprecating, endearing and adorable.

Hannah: "Why don't you wear some makeup?"

Rose: "What's the point? I'd still look like me, only in color."

by Anonymousreply 59September 5, 2021 11:54 PM

No, not a compliment. I guess I'm just saying I don't get what turns these millennials on.

by Anonymousreply 60September 6, 2021 12:00 AM

R60 being Borderline is what they like. Playing like they’re detached and cool, but ready to have a breakdown and become a histrionic victim at any moment. Empty vessels.

by Anonymousreply 61September 6, 2021 12:04 AM

Can't help compare but I just watched the first 2 episodes of GUILT tonight on PBS Masterpiece Mystery and it was a delightfully funny and suspenseful Scottish murder mystery with a darker edge (starring the fab Mark Bonnar!) that puts ONLY MURDERS... to shame. The Brits always do these series better IMHO. This one deserves its own thread.

by Anonymousreply 62September 6, 2021 3:23 AM

The Brits are fantastic at crime drama.

by Anonymousreply 63September 6, 2021 3:25 AM

They should replace Gomez with Jackie Hoffman and rewrite the last 5 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 64September 6, 2021 3:48 AM

[quote]Steve seems a bit checked out, and Selena is good one second and not the next. Martin is great, he seems really into it.

Selena is a Disney starlet and it shows. That's all she can do. Steve is also not putting in the best performance at times. Given how sloppy the continuity is with wardrobe, hair and makeup, I think this was shot a bit too quickly. Martin Short however is absolutely sensational and I'm going to be angry if he doesn't get nominated for SOMETHING for this.

Overall it's so inoffensive that I cannot figure out how anyone can be violently angry about this series like at least one person apparently is, but I guess some Dataloungers will always find a way to get murderously unhinged over nothing.

by Anonymousreply 65September 6, 2021 6:35 AM

I'm enjoying it so far!

by Anonymousreply 66September 6, 2021 9:04 AM

[Quote] Is Selena botoxed and Lexapro’d? She’s so dead and non-emotive.

She's been fucking with her face for years. And she's a drug addict. But if you ask Selena it's because of her lupus and the fact that she's bipolar.

[Quote] Too bad Woody Allen is canceled, he would have excelled at directing this and probably pulled a decent performance out of Selena the wooden board.

Selena's worked with Woody before. Don't know if she was any good though.

by Anonymousreply 67September 6, 2021 10:40 AM

R67 I made a very disparaging remark about Selena’s acting on the very first trailer that came out of Umbrellas in New York or whatever that film is called, and years later every few weeks I get a Selena Superfan telling me the fuck off for saying she’s a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 68September 6, 2021 11:34 AM

R68 lucky you 😆 Hope you told them to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 69September 6, 2021 11:45 AM

The audience for this is too old to know who the fuck Selena Gomez is.

by Anonymousreply 70September 6, 2021 3:31 PM

Selena Gomez - beautiful gowns.

by Anonymousreply 71September 6, 2021 3:35 PM

Steve Martin and Martin Short were on Bill Maher a few weeks ago (sans Selena...quelle surprise) and they were all waxing sentimental about the current dearth of good comedy duos à la Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Nichols and May et. al. and said that this show is an attempt to revive that tradition. I agree with them to some extent, but Selena doesn't have any comic instincts or training, so we just get an awkward trio that never takes off. Even on Bill Maher all they could say about her was that she introduced them to current pop culture/social media trends of which they'd otherwise be unaware. Her casting thus strikes me as cynical because you know Hulu execs told them they needed someone young, preferably a woman, who is somehow "of color" (even if it just means being tan or having ethnic grandparents) to garner an audience. I get that Martin and Short on their own wouldn't attract a demographic interesting to advertisers, but Gomez just does not add anything to the proceedings.

by Anonymousreply 72September 6, 2021 4:03 PM

It would been much better with just Short and Martin, but yes they needed a young person for the demographic they wanted to attract.

by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2021 4:08 PM

Rosie Perez would find the laughs in that role even if she's too old for the HULU demographic.

by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2021 4:13 PM

At this point Selena has done extensive TV and film, as I like to point out Beezus was NOT Latina, how is it that she’s still such an awkward actress looking like it’s her first time? Hell, even Addison Rae did better first time out leading a movie?

by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2021 4:21 PM

It's not just that she's awkward, she comes off as being very disinterested, like she's slumming and would rather be anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2021 4:27 PM

r70 hardly, it's for Millennials, Gen Xers, and Boomers, but not Gen Z because they smell

by Anonymousreply 77September 6, 2021 7:39 PM

r72 We said Duos, not Trios!

by Anonymousreply 78September 6, 2021 7:39 PM

Gen Xers are too old for Selena Gomez.

by Anonymousreply 79September 6, 2021 8:07 PM

Luckily there's two other main actors in the show!

by Anonymousreply 80September 6, 2021 8:08 PM

The "disinterested" part is obviously on purpose, she's supposed to be sullen and uncooperative. She's just not a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 81September 7, 2021 1:09 AM

That smell is new...

by Anonymousreply 82September 7, 2021 1:30 AM

I just can't with the brutal cat humor. I know objectively it's funny but as a cat owner I get very sensitive about that. I know it's kind of MARY! of me but as soon as he opened the freezer I knew what he would he looking at and covered my eyes for the next minute while that all played out.

The cat foot caught me off guard 🤢🥺

by Anonymousreply 83September 7, 2021 2:39 AM

Plus, the frozen cat wasn't remotely funny.

by Anonymousreply 84September 7, 2021 3:48 AM

I laughed so hard at the frozen cat I was crying

by Anonymousreply 85September 7, 2021 6:33 AM

I didn’t know Warner Brothers had a cruise line?

by Anonymousreply 86September 7, 2021 4:07 PM

One would have hoped Sting had squeezed in some acting lessons since Dune, but I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 87September 7, 2021 4:08 PM

The cat owner is hysterically funny.

by Anonymousreply 88September 7, 2021 4:10 PM

r87 Sting was hot in Dune, and that's about all I remember of his acting.

by Anonymousreply 89September 7, 2021 5:04 PM

Oliver 100% poisoned his own dog. He's a sick man!

by Anonymousreply 90September 7, 2021 5:55 PM

The bassoonist is homely and a bore. I can't understand why Martin's character is so infatuated with her.

by Anonymousreply 91September 7, 2021 8:20 PM

Oliver's son looks nothing like him, even if he's biracial. Oliver's wig changes with each scene.

by Anonymousreply 92September 7, 2021 8:23 PM

Oliver took the cat’s leg out of Charles’ hand when they were sitting in the couch in Oliver’s apartment, what did Oliver do with it? Maybe the cat really was poisoned and Oliver’s dog at her leg and got sick?

by Anonymousreply 93September 7, 2021 9:20 PM

What the hell does the title mean?

by Anonymousreply 94September 7, 2021 9:32 PM

It's the title of the trio's podcast because they only investigate murders in the Arconia.

by Anonymousreply 95September 7, 2021 9:37 PM

Don't new episodes drop today? Has no one watched them?

I'm reluctant to waste more time on this series.

by Anonymousreply 96September 8, 2021 12:11 AM

It's one episode released each week now.

E04: Martin Short called his son about his poisoned dog--the son is a vet. The dog is fine. Steve Martin goes on a date with Amy Ryan. He lies to her about his romantic past, she is aware of it, the date ends badly. He eventually tells her the truth: he had a live-in girlfriend of several years (Emma) who had a young daughter that he doted on (Lucy). He made Lucy an omelette every morning. They broke up after a Caribbean cruise, a story that sounded like total BS, but Amy Ryan bought it. They are going to have a second date. Martin Short, Steve Martin and Selena Gomez visit Sting because they think he's a suspect in the dog poisoning and the murder. Sting says that he confronted Tim Kono over money that Tim had lost/misinvested and he apparently told him to kill himself. Sting has felt guilty since that is apparently what TK actually did. The trio tell him that they believe Tim was murdered and Sting is relieved. They don't consider him a suspect anymore.

The episode ends with Martin Short's vet son telling him that Selena was friends with Tim Kono and is bad news. Selena is shown walking down the street and the guy in the tie-dye hoodie is following her.

by Anonymousreply 97September 8, 2021 12:33 AM

Seriously we don't need the spoilers :-o The new episode JUST came out.

by Anonymousreply 98September 8, 2021 1:09 AM

This episode was fun, but I wish I had just waited and binged the whole thing. I don’t like waiting a week to see what happens next.

by Anonymousreply 99September 8, 2021 1:45 AM

Episode 4 was the best so far, mainly because Gomez's role was diminished.

by Anonymousreply 100September 8, 2021 2:11 AM

Tina Fey also appeared in this episode. She's the top dog podcaster who nudged the trio in Sting's direction.

Also, Steve Martin's character hallucinated a lot. Something's not right with that man.

by Anonymousreply 101September 8, 2021 3:51 AM

I’m no Selena fan but think she’s doing fine. I like this weird unlikely trio. The fondness Steve Martin’s character has for her was explained in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 102September 9, 2021 2:16 PM

Early on Selena said that they were the Hardy Boys, is it possible instead of being the girl from that group she was the other boy and is Trans and came back as a boy, you know like “Come to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean? That would explain her masculine looking puffy face? I’m assuming she looks that way from the steroids and anti rejection drugs she needs to take, but then if it works for the role, why not?

by Anonymousreply 103September 9, 2021 4:40 PM

r101 Tina Fey was in the first episode, too!

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2021 5:30 PM

r103 the other boy from the group was the super's son, who was in prison and who just got released.

by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote]Oliver's wig changes with each scene.

I'm only on the third episode so I'm skipping some posts here to avoid spoilers, but wanted to say that even though the performances are really improving, whoever is doing the hair on this show needs HELP. In the third episode Selena's hair is five inches longer when she's in Howard's apartment than it is in the rest of the show. Maybe her curls just fell, but it was really obvious.

by Anonymousreply 106September 11, 2021 8:09 AM

Don't think so r103, we've seen flashbacks and her screen saver.

by Anonymousreply 107September 11, 2021 8:10 AM

Not only Selena's hair length, but there's just a general sloppiness and carelessness to the way this thing was produced and shot. I imagine the Covid restrictions didn't make it any easier.

by Anonymousreply 108September 11, 2021 1:04 PM

I'm finding I have no interest in going back and watching the new episodes (I've watched the first 3). There are no posts here encouraging me either,

by Anonymousreply 109September 11, 2021 1:05 PM

Just realized who would have been better in the Selena Gomez role: Zendaya. She’s the only actress that age that has the presence to compete with the other two.

by Anonymousreply 110September 11, 2021 1:09 PM

Worth watching Steve Martin and Martin Short. They look like they had fun doing it.

by Anonymousreply 111September 11, 2021 1:13 PM

Was that really Tina Fey or a someone doing a bad impression of her? Either way, I was not impressed. I’d rather have more Jackie Hoffman. She better get a good dramatic arc on this show.

by Anonymousreply 112September 11, 2021 1:55 PM

That was Tina Fey.

by Anonymousreply 113September 11, 2021 1:56 PM

Tina Fey has aged in dog years...

by Anonymousreply 114September 11, 2021 5:43 PM

It has a very white, straight male twee tone reminiscent of Wes Anderson, but not as insufferable. It's fine but feels extremely unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 115September 11, 2021 5:57 PM

I’m kind of hoping one of the three gets killed before the end, that would add an original twist to this tale, which is much needed, and would be a dark twist undermining the humor.

by Anonymousreply 116September 11, 2021 6:03 PM

Martin Short should finally get that facelift that he's been asked about for at least a decade.

by Anonymousreply 117September 11, 2021 6:04 PM

I know he was married to a woman and all…but are we sure Martin Short is straight???

by Anonymousreply 118September 11, 2021 6:10 PM

I thought we might find out that Oliver wasn't straight, but after the flashback in the 3rd episode, I think he is.

by Anonymousreply 119September 11, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote]I'm finding I have no interest in going back and watching the new episodes (I've watched the first 3). There are no posts here encouraging me either,

People are talking more about the actor's appearances than they are about the show.

by Anonymousreply 120September 11, 2021 7:37 PM

Martin Short has played a swishy straight man in every performance I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 121September 11, 2021 7:51 PM

[quote]It has a very white, straight male twee tone

Are you familiar with the UWS?

by Anonymousreply 122September 11, 2021 8:57 PM

Just speaking for myself, I'm only talking about appearances and surface-level things because I don't want to give away any spoilers, and I don't want to GET any spoilers, I'm only on the third episode. I'm trying to space these episodes out. I wish they were released more often, this is a very binge-able show.

It's also not really my job to make people want to watch the show. I really like it, but I'm also tired of every thread on DL turning into a fight, so if a dozen people want to scream about how the show sucks and Selena is history's greatest monster, I'm not gonna bother responding.

by Anonymousreply 123September 12, 2021 9:10 AM

Here’s a theory I just saw on Reddit:

[quote][bold]Zoe’s Ring & The Dimas Style[/bold]

[quote]The ring is an emerald, very large carat size, and fits on Zoe’s index finger, meaning it was likely made for someone with larger hands than her. So who could be its rightful owner? Let’s look at people’s personal style.

[…]

[quote]Otherwise, there is a noticeable lack of rings on the female characters.

[…]

[quote]Teddy Dimas is shown wearing multiple rings both in 2005 and in the present day. He has two, on his right ring finger and pinky, in the Splash flashback. In the present day, he wears one on his right pinky and left ring finger. All of these rings are pretty large. I didn’t notice any other male characters with rings, except Oliver with a wedding band in the flashback.

[quote]Additonally, the Dimas apartment color scheme is green + metallic. The logo for their company has green. And, side note, is there a bunch of oranges in that apartment too? (Godfather reference)

[quote]So stylistically, of the characters shown so far, it seems that the most plausible origin for the ring is the Dimas family. My personal theory is it belonged to Teddy’s wife (it is a style of ring Teddy would choose but still small enough to fit on Zoe at all). Theo, at the party, saw Zoe wearing it and became upset, causing the confrontation Tim saw. And since he is deaf, it could have started with a communication gap between them.

[quote]Seems like he can wear a big ring on his pinky, so theoretically Zoe’s ring could be his.

COMMENTS:

[quote]Teddy has been my guess for Tim’s killer as Nathan Lane isn’t just there for the paycheck or as a favor, he is going to get to shine AND I buy that Tim was poisoned potentially by takeout food from Dimas Deli. That said, I totally missed these visual cues.

[quote]Ooh, that could also explain how Evelyn (Evelyn? -the cat; what’s-her-name) was killed - there was leftover poisoned food from the Deli, & Evelyn came in (after Tim’s murder) & ate it.

Any thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 12, 2021 11:12 PM

and another:

[quote]I hope the twist is that the detective was right, it was a textbook suicide. But because of all their melding, they got tie dye guy actually murdered (but not by Mabel).

[quote]we may be able to get the best of both worlds--the mystery of Zoe's murder (assuming it wasn't an accident) and a suicide ending. Also, I think the whole "Tim was poisoned before he was shot" idea is a really interesting one, it could have been attempted murder that ended in suicide.

[quote]I think its suicide but the three have stumbled onto something big that did involve Tim Kono

[quote]When Mabel confronts Tim at his apartment, present day, and they get into the argument where he tells her to act like she doesn’t know him his body language as she walks away doesn’t look angry it looks worried and sad. I think he was trying to protect her from something or someone. Maybe Mabel was right all these years to have faith in Tim and he really was afraid of someone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 12, 2021 11:15 PM

I’m sorry, but that was ridiculous having them head towards the George Washington Bridge by driving through Central Park and taking the FDR, and even the most casual New Yorker would know that. They are on the west side already, they wouldn’t have traveled east. It only made sense in that they could then easily switch to the new location of Long Island. If it would have been a minute scene it might have been OK, but they spent so much time during the episode on the firsts part of the drive.

by Anonymousreply 126September 14, 2021 4:21 PM

I like the new actor they added, he seems to have a spark and heart. Short really is the MVP in this, which is interesting, usually he does short sketches better, but he’s really been great at sustaining a long term character and growing that personality in completely believable ways, even when it’s ridiculous. Like you can completely believe he’d keep a car, yet not have a license.

by Anonymousreply 127September 14, 2021 4:25 PM

Have to admit, I’m surprised this came so early, right now I’m up in the air about another season, but maybe the end really sticks the landing or Martin is strong producer to secure this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 14, 2021 5:08 PM

What does the title mean?

It is unwieldy.

by Anonymousreply 129September 14, 2021 7:52 PM

R129, it means the three “detectives” will only investigate murders in the apartment building they live in. It’s also the title of the podcast they’re involved in.

by Anonymousreply 130September 14, 2021 7:54 PM

[quote]R91 The bassoonist is homely and a bore. I can't understand why Martin's character is so infatuated with her.

That actress’ name is Amy Ryan. She’s not glamorous, but she does classy projects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 14, 2021 8:15 PM

I liked her on “In Treatment.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 14, 2021 8:22 PM

Episode 5 taught me pressing your thumb against the roof of your mouth stops brain freeze.

I wish we didn’t have to wait a week for episode 6, I hope they finally show how Theo Dimas relates to all of this and give us more details about things that happened in 2010 when Charles was on prednisone.

Charles doesn’t remember Zoe’s murder because of the prednisone, could he have met Mable in 2010 and just doesn’t remember that either?

Knowing that I Lucien & Vaughn (the horticulture podcast guys) know Cinda Canning suggests this wasn’t just a one-off appearance.

Was Oscar cheating on Zoe with Mabel or was that wishful thinking?

[quote]You're lying to your boyfriend 'cause you feel like even the way you're thinking about me is cheating?

There is a couple kissing in the dark during one of the full season previews and it’s clearly not Charles or Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 133September 14, 2021 8:52 PM

Sorry, Mable should be Mabel ^

by Anonymousreply 134September 14, 2021 8:54 PM

I love the show, but not gonna lie the dead cat has me triggered. :(

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2021 4:01 PM

Just binged this. I agree that Martin Short is fantastic, he is carrying this on his shoulders. They could have cast someone stronger than Selena Gomez, she isn't terrible, but there are other twenty somethings that could do so much more with this role.

This isn't anything great, but it is a pleasant watch.

by Anonymousreply 136September 16, 2021 12:09 AM

[quote]What does the title mean?

In the first episode, Martin Short mentions that there was a murder committed in Central Park that the trio should consider investigating for their podcast. Steve Martin's character exclaims, "only murders in the building!"

Selena isn't bringing anything interesting to the role. Someone else would have been better. She's very wooden at times and talks as though she's clenching her jaw.

by Anonymousreply 137September 16, 2021 12:53 AM

Imagine a young Marisa Tomei in this.

Would have totally killed it, stolen the show, etc.

by Anonymousreply 138September 16, 2021 12:57 AM

I agree with the person who said it should’ve been Zendaya. They should kill Mabel and bring her in as the new main character to replace her.

by Anonymousreply 139September 16, 2021 1:42 AM

Sarah Steele would have been hilarious in Gomez’ re if this was done five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 140September 16, 2021 7:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!