Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anybody watch Only Murders in the Building on Hulu yet?

First episode’s OK. Steve Martin and Martin Short are good. Selena Gomez is…pretty. Her flat line readings already drive me crazy. Short plays a Broadway director-a hetero one. Which is stupid. The costume department obviously didn’t get the memo.

by Anonymousreply 463November 4, 2023 6:13 PM

As I kid, I adored these guys. They were the epitome of hip comedy to my teenage self. Which is why it's so upsetting to see them become codgers.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2021 6:11 PM

I slogged thought the first episode, then went to sleep during the second.

There might be a good idea for a mystery comedy there, but it has been ruined by stretching it out into 10 episodes.

Martin and Short are their reliable selves, but Selena Gomez is godawful and makes the threesome getting together unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2021 6:20 PM

[quote]Selena Gomez is godawful and makes the threesome getting together unbelievable.

[quote]Selena Gomez is…pretty. Her flat line readings already drive me crazy.

All true, except the pretty part. Her delivery is just off as if she couldn't move her jaw.

by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2021 8:53 PM

What the fuck is up with the show’s opening sequence credits, which completely has nothing to do with where they actually live in the building, that made no sense and threw the whole thing off for me?

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2021 10:19 PM

Not enough Jackie Hoffman.

by Anonymousreply 5September 1, 2021 1:59 AM

I really liked the first episode, Selena Gomez I think is supposed to be really stiff and off-putting, hopefully that will change as the series goes on.

Not sure we can say for certain that Martin Short's character is straight.

by Anonymousreply 6September 1, 2021 7:19 AM

[Quote] Selena Gomez is…pretty.

Lol i feel like this gets said alot in reviews for her movies/tv shows.

by Anonymousreply 7September 1, 2021 7:23 AM

Love the first episode. The no-nonsense detective's tantrum about true crime podcasts was hilarious.

I have not yet seen episode two and three (which are also available so far), but Mabel acts so incredibly shifty beyond the opening scene (and the final scene). Must be one epic misdirection if it's supposed to be a mystery.

by Anonymousreply 8September 1, 2021 7:33 AM

I think Charles (Steve Martin) is the murderer. He noticed the guy in that flimsy protective gear running up the stairs while everybody else was running down (probably followed him) and him showing up in the courtyard is way later than the viewer assumes. I think he's some kind of sociopath like Joe Goldberg (Penn Badgley) in You where Charles is obsessed Mabel. The neighbor extra in episode one mentions a Lucy to Charles which could hint to a previous obsession of his.

by Anonymousreply 9September 1, 2021 8:10 AM

I watched the first three episodes and enjoyed them. It's such a fun show. Steve Martin and Martin Short are hilarious. Gomez and her clenched jaw are the weak links for me.

Not sure who the killer is yet. Maybe the cop from E01 was right -- it's just a suicide and the true crime fans are making things up. That said, Oscar going to prison for 10 years for a crime that he didn't commit -- who really pushed Zoe off the roof? I'm thinking it has to be Oscar's dad, the building super. Son doing time so his dad doesn't have to is the only thing that makes sense.

I also think Oliver might have planted some of the evidence that they think indicates murder. He is broke and needs a comeback. He's desperate to make this a podcast and more.

by Anonymousreply 10September 1, 2021 3:12 PM

I watched the first three episodes during last night's storm but it was raining so hard that I missed some of the dialogue.

[quote]The neighbor extra in episode one mentions a Lucy to Charles which could hint to a previous obsession of his.

I missed this, I guess I need to give episodes 1-3 a re-watch before episode 4 becomes available.

by Anonymousreply 11September 2, 2021 4:47 PM

The current obsession with true crime is fucking weird.

by Anonymousreply 12September 2, 2021 4:58 PM

I haven't watched the episode, but just from the trailer, Steve and Martin REALLY come across as a couple.

by Anonymousreply 13September 2, 2021 6:20 PM

I first saw Selena in A Rainy Day In New York and she was quite excellent. (A boring film by the way) If she's bad in this it was likely her director. I won't go on Hulu because they won't accept gift cards and It's not clear if they will ever stop charging your credit card.

by Anonymousreply 14September 2, 2021 7:56 PM

Hulu also accepts PayPal and Venmo.

by Anonymousreply 15September 2, 2021 8:04 PM

[quote]I won't go on Hulu because they won't accept gift cards and It's not clear if they will ever stop charging your credit card.

I use a credit card and cancelled Hulu for a good year or so without problems.

by Anonymousreply 16September 3, 2021 11:46 AM

Is Mabel supposed to be on drugs or unknowingly being drugged?

by Anonymousreply 17September 3, 2021 11:53 AM

R14 she's not bad, just mediocre. She should be on a sitcom instead of trying to be a pop star.

by Anonymousreply 18September 3, 2021 3:29 PM

I was so excited for this. (100% on Rotten Tomatoes) Unfortunately I was underwhelmed. One episode in and I decided to abort.

by Anonymousreply 19September 3, 2021 4:28 PM

I'm calling the TX Attorney General r19!

by Anonymousreply 20September 3, 2021 4:31 PM

R20 - Bravo my friend.

by Anonymousreply 21September 3, 2021 4:39 PM

Don't forget the attorney's fees r21!

I sure won't.

by Anonymousreply 22September 3, 2021 6:28 PM

I know the brave new world of subscriptions is confusing and scary for the elders, so a good rule of thumb is to always use PAYPAL. If Paypal supports the company, they are legitimate. Paypal generally sides with customers in any dispute, even if they're wrong. My netflix and hulu are through paypal. I also have never had an issue subscribing or quickly unsubscribing from any streaming service. You can sign up, the payment goes through, and then immediately cancel before you watch a single show and still get your 30 days. if you get a free 30 days, you can cancel immediately so you arent rebilled and still get your 30 days

by Anonymousreply 23September 3, 2021 8:32 PM

[quote]Paypal generally sides with customers in any dispute, even if they're wrong.

They don't, at least not anymore. I had Paypal side with an eBay seller when I got scammed, and with DoorDash when I didn't actually receive my order. I wouldn't be recommending people use Paypal to make things easier or reduce potential overcharges.

by Anonymousreply 24September 4, 2021 10:57 AM

show must be really compelling if we're talking about PayPal

by Anonymousreply 25September 4, 2021 2:05 PM

Get a prepaid credit card and use that.

by Anonymousreply 26September 4, 2021 2:22 PM

It's meh. Selena Gomez is a personality, not an actress. I can't believe they're still trying to make her happen. Too bad they didn't cast a real actress in the role.

by Anonymousreply 27September 4, 2021 3:58 PM

There was already another thread about this.

by Anonymousreply 28September 4, 2021 9:55 PM

What are you the fucking thread police? Get fucked.

by Anonymousreply 29September 4, 2021 9:56 PM

[quote] What are you the fucking thread police? Get fucked. [quote]

You have no right to talk to me that way. Maybe I am the thread police. Maybe I should detain you. How would you like that?

by Anonymousreply 30September 4, 2021 10:16 PM

Two threads on this show and folks at each directing people to the other one. I love DL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2021 12:29 PM

It’s cute. I’m enjoying it. Woody Allen lite. Fun to see an old-ish NY without the Covid nightmare and hurricanes using a setting that’s a combo of the Apthorp and Ansonia buildings. Steve seems a bit checked out, and Selena is good one second and not the next. Martin is great, he seems really into it. I’ll follow through with it. It’s nice little slice of comfort cake.

by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2021 1:09 PM

I’m enjoying this even more than White Lotus!

Steve Martin is 76 but I’d still fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2021 5:27 PM

Selena Gomez reminds me of a young Madonna in that she's incapable of reading one line correctly.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2021 5:32 PM

R34 that’s a problem with most millennial actresses

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2021 7:42 PM

The show meanders, as do so many nowadays or they roll at breakneck methhead speed.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2021 7:43 PM

Can we talk about the episodes that have aired so far?

Charles makes omelettes for someone named Lucy and immediately throws them away, who is Lucy?

In episode 3, when Oliver talks about losing his family Charles says something like “it happens, believe me I know,” could Lucy be an ex-wife or daughter? More likely a daughter because a neighbor asks about her says to tell her hello.

Where is Mabel’s aunt?

Does anyone in Zoe’s family still live on the 11th floor?

Oliver lights the fireplace before he sits down to listen to the podcast despite there being a rule against using fireplaces.

Charles’ nose bleeds when he’s anxious remind me of Niles Crane’s nose bleeds when he lies, maybe Charles’ bleeding is cause by lying and not anxiety?

What’s going on with Nathan Lane’s son (I don’t remember his name)?

Given how long Charles & Oliver have lived in the building, do you think Mabel has been inside their apartments before? Did Mable & her friends steal from everyone or only certain people?

Charles moves the picture of Sting and puts it on top of another picture, who was in the picture he covered?

Tim was fired from an investment firm for losing a client a lot of money… Oliver?

Was the handwriting on the note on Oliver’s door the same as one of the “suicide notes” in the trash?

In the preview after episode 3 you can see tie dye hoodie guy has a mustache.

I like the Police and I like Sting’s music but I don’t like Sting.

by Anonymousreply 37September 5, 2021 8:25 PM

Glad they did the Steve Martin tv show flashback

by Anonymousreply 38September 5, 2021 9:19 PM

My theory: Steve Martin’s character is deranged and wants to relive his glory days so he commits the murder to lead the “investigation”

by Anonymousreply 39September 5, 2021 9:23 PM

I've watched through episode 3 and so far it's pretty good! The New York Who's Who's among the building tenants is hilarious.

I'm curious about who cocained the dog - he mentioned cocaine to another tenant in an earlier episode, didn't he?

by Anonymousreply 40September 5, 2021 9:25 PM

I'm curious about Nathan Lane's son too. They keep introducing these characters that all have something Different about them and it's pretty fun to find out.

Why was the murdered guy storing obviously stolen jewelry in the Hardy Boy's books?

by Anonymousreply 41September 5, 2021 9:27 PM

Also, Steve Martin's character said the cat guy was clearly acting when he fainted from the sight of blood, I wonder what's up with that :-o

by Anonymousreply 42September 5, 2021 9:29 PM

I'm really curious why they had Selena Gomez playing the Mysterious Woman and taking up so much screentime - she's not the best actress. Does she have lockjaw?

by Anonymousreply 43September 5, 2021 9:30 PM

Selena should be credited as ‘Dissociative Millennial Cunt’

by Anonymousreply 44September 5, 2021 9:31 PM

r4 they evoke a somewhat updated-mood version of the opening credits (sort of) for PBS's Mystery! series. Animated and flat.

by Anonymousreply 45September 5, 2021 9:34 PM

Is Selena botoxed and Lexapro’d? She’s so dead and non-emotive.

by Anonymousreply 46September 5, 2021 9:34 PM

Who is this mysterious Aunt of Selena's? Why do we never see construction people working in the apartment if it's being remodeled? And where is all the furniture?

by Anonymousreply 47September 5, 2021 9:38 PM

This show is a great example of how Millennials have no personality and Baby Boomers are still interesting

by Anonymousreply 48September 5, 2021 9:42 PM

Martin and Short have great chemistry together. They even do well with Gomez, despite her various issues.

I love Shorts' character's apartment decor - it's so elaborate and theatrical and cozy. Martins' is cold and functional and masculine, and Selena's is a barren mess, which are pretty good reflections of their characters.

by Anonymousreply 49September 5, 2021 9:46 PM

That was an electric fireplace in Martin's apartment. Maybe Lucy is Steve Martin's ex. He murdered her and told people she left him.

by Anonymousreply 50September 5, 2021 9:48 PM

Fun fact I found out from someone on the crew (don’t ask me who the murderer is because she won’t tell me):

In the third episode there’s a scene where Martin and Gomez’ character meet with the tenant whose cat just died. The actor playing the tenant had just recovered from a second bout with Covid and had tested negative so was no longer considered infectious. Gomez was still very uncomfortable being near him in a scene, though. So what happened was a photo double was hired to “play” the scene with Martin and Gomez when the camera was on them. As this was happening the actual actor sat in a cubicle thirty feet away with a monitor and would say his lines to them. When the camera turned around to the tenant character the actor stepped in and they used two photo doubles to play Martin and Gomez’ characters in the scene. They, of course, did the dialogue with him, not Martin and Gomez. If they’re ever in the same frame together that’s because they used a split screen (like the bit when the tenant fainted).

by Anonymousreply 51September 5, 2021 9:48 PM

Too bad Woody Allen is canceled, he would have excelled at directing this and probably pulled a decent performance out of Selena the wooden board.

by Anonymousreply 52September 5, 2021 9:49 PM

It does feel like a Woody Allen movie, but I think they're doing better than they would have with him directing. His films tend to get bogged down in character dialogue, whereas the dialogue in this one feels natural and not like you're watching a play.

by Anonymousreply 53September 5, 2021 9:51 PM

r51

[quote]The actor playing the tenant had just recovered from a second bout with Covid

So we now know that the actor was a total whore!

by Anonymousreply 54September 5, 2021 10:14 PM

I just can't with Selena Gomez. She is talentless, her line reading are flat and she's a void of charisma. They needed to cast that role with an actress who can actually act.

by Anonymousreply 55September 5, 2021 11:14 PM

Can't believe that anyone is getting into this beyond the first episode which was somewhat amusing and promising. Second episode was boring and the third was outrageously awful. I'm old so Selena is new to me and I'm SHOCKED at how utterly charmless and amateurish she is. She doesn't seem to me to believe in the dialogue she's being asked to spout, so maybe she's not so stupid. But if she's what the kids love these days than maybe Beanie Feldstein IS the new Barbra Streisand.

Oh, but I do love the opening credits and wish the series had the wit and charm they have.

by Anonymousreply 56September 5, 2021 11:29 PM

I'm also very skeptical of these various "clues" some of you are chatting about. I'll be surprised if the solution to this has any logic or reason.

I believe the actor playing Nathan's son is actually deaf, as is his character, FWIW.

by Anonymousreply 57September 5, 2021 11:32 PM

I don't mind Gomez, I haven't seen her in anything else and for me, the way she's playing it fits perfectly of what you think of when you think Millennial.

by Anonymousreply 58September 5, 2021 11:43 PM

R56 ummm is that supposed to be a compliment to Beano?

From the Let’s Be The Mirror Has Two Faces Thread:

I'm the corny, unfunny dialog intended to make Barbra's character plucky, self-deprecating, endearing and adorable.

Hannah: "Why don't you wear some makeup?"

Rose: "What's the point? I'd still look like me, only in color."

by Anonymousreply 59September 5, 2021 11:54 PM

No, not a compliment. I guess I'm just saying I don't get what turns these millennials on.

by Anonymousreply 60September 6, 2021 12:00 AM

R60 being Borderline is what they like. Playing like they’re detached and cool, but ready to have a breakdown and become a histrionic victim at any moment. Empty vessels.

by Anonymousreply 61September 6, 2021 12:04 AM

Can't help compare but I just watched the first 2 episodes of GUILT tonight on PBS Masterpiece Mystery and it was a delightfully funny and suspenseful Scottish murder mystery with a darker edge (starring the fab Mark Bonnar!) that puts ONLY MURDERS... to shame. The Brits always do these series better IMHO. This one deserves its own thread.

by Anonymousreply 62September 6, 2021 3:23 AM

The Brits are fantastic at crime drama.

by Anonymousreply 63September 6, 2021 3:25 AM

They should replace Gomez with Jackie Hoffman and rewrite the last 5 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 64September 6, 2021 3:48 AM

[quote]Steve seems a bit checked out, and Selena is good one second and not the next. Martin is great, he seems really into it.

Selena is a Disney starlet and it shows. That's all she can do. Steve is also not putting in the best performance at times. Given how sloppy the continuity is with wardrobe, hair and makeup, I think this was shot a bit too quickly. Martin Short however is absolutely sensational and I'm going to be angry if he doesn't get nominated for SOMETHING for this.

Overall it's so inoffensive that I cannot figure out how anyone can be violently angry about this series like at least one person apparently is, but I guess some Dataloungers will always find a way to get murderously unhinged over nothing.

by Anonymousreply 65September 6, 2021 6:35 AM

I'm enjoying it so far!

by Anonymousreply 66September 6, 2021 9:04 AM

[Quote] Is Selena botoxed and Lexapro’d? She’s so dead and non-emotive.

She's been fucking with her face for years. And she's a drug addict. But if you ask Selena it's because of her lupus and the fact that she's bipolar.

[Quote] Too bad Woody Allen is canceled, he would have excelled at directing this and probably pulled a decent performance out of Selena the wooden board.

Selena's worked with Woody before. Don't know if she was any good though.

by Anonymousreply 67September 6, 2021 10:40 AM

R67 I made a very disparaging remark about Selena’s acting on the very first trailer that came out of Umbrellas in New York or whatever that film is called, and years later every few weeks I get a Selena Superfan telling me the fuck off for saying she’s a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 68September 6, 2021 11:34 AM

R68 lucky you 😆 Hope you told them to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 69September 6, 2021 11:45 AM

The audience for this is too old to know who the fuck Selena Gomez is.

by Anonymousreply 70September 6, 2021 3:31 PM

Selena Gomez - beautiful gowns.

by Anonymousreply 71September 6, 2021 3:35 PM

Steve Martin and Martin Short were on Bill Maher a few weeks ago (sans Selena...quelle surprise) and they were all waxing sentimental about the current dearth of good comedy duos à la Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, Nichols and May et. al. and said that this show is an attempt to revive that tradition. I agree with them to some extent, but Selena doesn't have any comic instincts or training, so we just get an awkward trio that never takes off. Even on Bill Maher all they could say about her was that she introduced them to current pop culture/social media trends of which they'd otherwise be unaware. Her casting thus strikes me as cynical because you know Hulu execs told them they needed someone young, preferably a woman, who is somehow "of color" (even if it just means being tan or having ethnic grandparents) to garner an audience. I get that Martin and Short on their own wouldn't attract a demographic interesting to advertisers, but Gomez just does not add anything to the proceedings.

by Anonymousreply 72September 6, 2021 4:03 PM

It would been much better with just Short and Martin, but yes they needed a young person for the demographic they wanted to attract.

by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2021 4:08 PM

Rosie Perez would find the laughs in that role even if she's too old for the HULU demographic.

by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2021 4:13 PM

At this point Selena has done extensive TV and film, as I like to point out Beezus was NOT Latina, how is it that she’s still such an awkward actress looking like it’s her first time? Hell, even Addison Rae did better first time out leading a movie?

by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2021 4:21 PM

It's not just that she's awkward, she comes off as being very disinterested, like she's slumming and would rather be anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2021 4:27 PM

r70 hardly, it's for Millennials, Gen Xers, and Boomers, but not Gen Z because they smell

by Anonymousreply 77September 6, 2021 7:39 PM

r72 We said Duos, not Trios!

by Anonymousreply 78September 6, 2021 7:39 PM

Gen Xers are too old for Selena Gomez.

by Anonymousreply 79September 6, 2021 8:07 PM

Luckily there's two other main actors in the show!

by Anonymousreply 80September 6, 2021 8:08 PM

The "disinterested" part is obviously on purpose, she's supposed to be sullen and uncooperative. She's just not a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 81September 7, 2021 1:09 AM

That smell is new...

by Anonymousreply 82September 7, 2021 1:30 AM

I just can't with the brutal cat humor. I know objectively it's funny but as a cat owner I get very sensitive about that. I know it's kind of MARY! of me but as soon as he opened the freezer I knew what he would he looking at and covered my eyes for the next minute while that all played out.

The cat foot caught me off guard 🤢🥺

by Anonymousreply 83September 7, 2021 2:39 AM

Plus, the frozen cat wasn't remotely funny.

by Anonymousreply 84September 7, 2021 3:48 AM

I laughed so hard at the frozen cat I was crying

by Anonymousreply 85September 7, 2021 6:33 AM

I didn’t know Warner Brothers had a cruise line?

by Anonymousreply 86September 7, 2021 4:07 PM

One would have hoped Sting had squeezed in some acting lessons since Dune, but I guess not.

by Anonymousreply 87September 7, 2021 4:08 PM

The cat owner is hysterically funny.

by Anonymousreply 88September 7, 2021 4:10 PM

r87 Sting was hot in Dune, and that's about all I remember of his acting.

by Anonymousreply 89September 7, 2021 5:04 PM

Oliver 100% poisoned his own dog. He's a sick man!

by Anonymousreply 90September 7, 2021 5:55 PM

The bassoonist is homely and a bore. I can't understand why Martin's character is so infatuated with her.

by Anonymousreply 91September 7, 2021 8:20 PM

Oliver's son looks nothing like him, even if he's biracial. Oliver's wig changes with each scene.

by Anonymousreply 92September 7, 2021 8:23 PM

Oliver took the cat’s leg out of Charles’ hand when they were sitting in the couch in Oliver’s apartment, what did Oliver do with it? Maybe the cat really was poisoned and Oliver’s dog at her leg and got sick?

by Anonymousreply 93September 7, 2021 9:20 PM

What the hell does the title mean?

by Anonymousreply 94September 7, 2021 9:32 PM

It's the title of the trio's podcast because they only investigate murders in the Arconia.

by Anonymousreply 95September 7, 2021 9:37 PM

Don't new episodes drop today? Has no one watched them?

I'm reluctant to waste more time on this series.

by Anonymousreply 96September 8, 2021 12:11 AM

It's one episode released each week now.

E04: Martin Short called his son about his poisoned dog--the son is a vet. The dog is fine. Steve Martin goes on a date with Amy Ryan. He lies to her about his romantic past, she is aware of it, the date ends badly. He eventually tells her the truth: he had a live-in girlfriend of several years (Emma) who had a young daughter that he doted on (Lucy). He made Lucy an omelette every morning. They broke up after a Caribbean cruise, a story that sounded like total BS, but Amy Ryan bought it. They are going to have a second date. Martin Short, Steve Martin and Selena Gomez visit Sting because they think he's a suspect in the dog poisoning and the murder. Sting says that he confronted Tim Kono over money that Tim had lost/misinvested and he apparently told him to kill himself. Sting has felt guilty since that is apparently what TK actually did. The trio tell him that they believe Tim was murdered and Sting is relieved. They don't consider him a suspect anymore.

The episode ends with Martin Short's vet son telling him that Selena was friends with Tim Kono and is bad news. Selena is shown walking down the street and the guy in the tie-dye hoodie is following her.

by Anonymousreply 97September 8, 2021 12:33 AM

Seriously we don't need the spoilers :-o The new episode JUST came out.

by Anonymousreply 98September 8, 2021 1:09 AM

This episode was fun, but I wish I had just waited and binged the whole thing. I don’t like waiting a week to see what happens next.

by Anonymousreply 99September 8, 2021 1:45 AM

Episode 4 was the best so far, mainly because Gomez's role was diminished.

by Anonymousreply 100September 8, 2021 2:11 AM

Tina Fey also appeared in this episode. She's the top dog podcaster who nudged the trio in Sting's direction.

Also, Steve Martin's character hallucinated a lot. Something's not right with that man.

by Anonymousreply 101September 8, 2021 3:51 AM

I’m no Selena fan but think she’s doing fine. I like this weird unlikely trio. The fondness Steve Martin’s character has for her was explained in this episode.

by Anonymousreply 102September 9, 2021 2:16 PM

Early on Selena said that they were the Hardy Boys, is it possible instead of being the girl from that group she was the other boy and is Trans and came back as a boy, you know like “Come to the Five and Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean? That would explain her masculine looking puffy face? I’m assuming she looks that way from the steroids and anti rejection drugs she needs to take, but then if it works for the role, why not?

by Anonymousreply 103September 9, 2021 4:40 PM

r101 Tina Fey was in the first episode, too!

by Anonymousreply 104September 10, 2021 5:30 PM

r103 the other boy from the group was the super's son, who was in prison and who just got released.

by Anonymousreply 105September 10, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote]Oliver's wig changes with each scene.

I'm only on the third episode so I'm skipping some posts here to avoid spoilers, but wanted to say that even though the performances are really improving, whoever is doing the hair on this show needs HELP. In the third episode Selena's hair is five inches longer when she's in Howard's apartment than it is in the rest of the show. Maybe her curls just fell, but it was really obvious.

by Anonymousreply 106September 11, 2021 8:09 AM

Don't think so r103, we've seen flashbacks and her screen saver.

by Anonymousreply 107September 11, 2021 8:10 AM

Not only Selena's hair length, but there's just a general sloppiness and carelessness to the way this thing was produced and shot. I imagine the Covid restrictions didn't make it any easier.

by Anonymousreply 108September 11, 2021 1:04 PM

I'm finding I have no interest in going back and watching the new episodes (I've watched the first 3). There are no posts here encouraging me either,

by Anonymousreply 109September 11, 2021 1:05 PM

Just realized who would have been better in the Selena Gomez role: Zendaya. She’s the only actress that age that has the presence to compete with the other two.

by Anonymousreply 110September 11, 2021 1:09 PM

Worth watching Steve Martin and Martin Short. They look like they had fun doing it.

by Anonymousreply 111September 11, 2021 1:13 PM

Was that really Tina Fey or a someone doing a bad impression of her? Either way, I was not impressed. I’d rather have more Jackie Hoffman. She better get a good dramatic arc on this show.

by Anonymousreply 112September 11, 2021 1:55 PM

That was Tina Fey.

by Anonymousreply 113September 11, 2021 1:56 PM

Tina Fey has aged in dog years...

by Anonymousreply 114September 11, 2021 5:43 PM

It has a very white, straight male twee tone reminiscent of Wes Anderson, but not as insufferable. It's fine but feels extremely unrealistic.

by Anonymousreply 115September 11, 2021 5:57 PM

I’m kind of hoping one of the three gets killed before the end, that would add an original twist to this tale, which is much needed, and would be a dark twist undermining the humor.

by Anonymousreply 116September 11, 2021 6:03 PM

Martin Short should finally get that facelift that he's been asked about for at least a decade.

by Anonymousreply 117September 11, 2021 6:04 PM

I know he was married to a woman and all…but are we sure Martin Short is straight???

by Anonymousreply 118September 11, 2021 6:10 PM

I thought we might find out that Oliver wasn't straight, but after the flashback in the 3rd episode, I think he is.

by Anonymousreply 119September 11, 2021 6:19 PM

[quote]I'm finding I have no interest in going back and watching the new episodes (I've watched the first 3). There are no posts here encouraging me either,

People are talking more about the actor's appearances than they are about the show.

by Anonymousreply 120September 11, 2021 7:37 PM

Martin Short has played a swishy straight man in every performance I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 121September 11, 2021 7:51 PM

[quote]It has a very white, straight male twee tone

Are you familiar with the UWS?

by Anonymousreply 122September 11, 2021 8:57 PM

Just speaking for myself, I'm only talking about appearances and surface-level things because I don't want to give away any spoilers, and I don't want to GET any spoilers, I'm only on the third episode. I'm trying to space these episodes out. I wish they were released more often, this is a very binge-able show.

It's also not really my job to make people want to watch the show. I really like it, but I'm also tired of every thread on DL turning into a fight, so if a dozen people want to scream about how the show sucks and Selena is history's greatest monster, I'm not gonna bother responding.

by Anonymousreply 123September 12, 2021 9:10 AM

Here’s a theory I just saw on Reddit:

[quote][bold]Zoe’s Ring & The Dimas Style[/bold]

[quote]The ring is an emerald, very large carat size, and fits on Zoe’s index finger, meaning it was likely made for someone with larger hands than her. So who could be its rightful owner? Let’s look at people’s personal style.

[…]

[quote]Otherwise, there is a noticeable lack of rings on the female characters.

[…]

[quote]Teddy Dimas is shown wearing multiple rings both in 2005 and in the present day. He has two, on his right ring finger and pinky, in the Splash flashback. In the present day, he wears one on his right pinky and left ring finger. All of these rings are pretty large. I didn’t notice any other male characters with rings, except Oliver with a wedding band in the flashback.

[quote]Additonally, the Dimas apartment color scheme is green + metallic. The logo for their company has green. And, side note, is there a bunch of oranges in that apartment too? (Godfather reference)

[quote]So stylistically, of the characters shown so far, it seems that the most plausible origin for the ring is the Dimas family. My personal theory is it belonged to Teddy’s wife (it is a style of ring Teddy would choose but still small enough to fit on Zoe at all). Theo, at the party, saw Zoe wearing it and became upset, causing the confrontation Tim saw. And since he is deaf, it could have started with a communication gap between them.

[quote]Seems like he can wear a big ring on his pinky, so theoretically Zoe’s ring could be his.

COMMENTS:

[quote]Teddy has been my guess for Tim’s killer as Nathan Lane isn’t just there for the paycheck or as a favor, he is going to get to shine AND I buy that Tim was poisoned potentially by takeout food from Dimas Deli. That said, I totally missed these visual cues.

[quote]Ooh, that could also explain how Evelyn (Evelyn? -the cat; what’s-her-name) was killed - there was leftover poisoned food from the Deli, & Evelyn came in (after Tim’s murder) & ate it.

Any thoughts?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124September 12, 2021 11:12 PM

and another:

[quote]I hope the twist is that the detective was right, it was a textbook suicide. But because of all their melding, they got tie dye guy actually murdered (but not by Mabel).

[quote]we may be able to get the best of both worlds--the mystery of Zoe's murder (assuming it wasn't an accident) and a suicide ending. Also, I think the whole "Tim was poisoned before he was shot" idea is a really interesting one, it could have been attempted murder that ended in suicide.

[quote]I think its suicide but the three have stumbled onto something big that did involve Tim Kono

[quote]When Mabel confronts Tim at his apartment, present day, and they get into the argument where he tells her to act like she doesn’t know him his body language as she walks away doesn’t look angry it looks worried and sad. I think he was trying to protect her from something or someone. Maybe Mabel was right all these years to have faith in Tim and he really was afraid of someone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125September 12, 2021 11:15 PM

I’m sorry, but that was ridiculous having them head towards the George Washington Bridge by driving through Central Park and taking the FDR, and even the most casual New Yorker would know that. They are on the west side already, they wouldn’t have traveled east. It only made sense in that they could then easily switch to the new location of Long Island. If it would have been a minute scene it might have been OK, but they spent so much time during the episode on the firsts part of the drive.

by Anonymousreply 126September 14, 2021 4:21 PM

I like the new actor they added, he seems to have a spark and heart. Short really is the MVP in this, which is interesting, usually he does short sketches better, but he’s really been great at sustaining a long term character and growing that personality in completely believable ways, even when it’s ridiculous. Like you can completely believe he’d keep a car, yet not have a license.

by Anonymousreply 127September 14, 2021 4:25 PM

Have to admit, I’m surprised this came so early, right now I’m up in the air about another season, but maybe the end really sticks the landing or Martin is strong producer to secure this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128September 14, 2021 5:08 PM

What does the title mean?

It is unwieldy.

by Anonymousreply 129September 14, 2021 7:52 PM

R129, it means the three “detectives” will only investigate murders in the apartment building they live in. It’s also the title of the podcast they’re involved in.

by Anonymousreply 130September 14, 2021 7:54 PM

[quote]R91 The bassoonist is homely and a bore. I can't understand why Martin's character is so infatuated with her.

That actress’ name is Amy Ryan. She’s not glamorous, but she does classy projects.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131September 14, 2021 8:15 PM

I liked her on “In Treatment.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132September 14, 2021 8:22 PM

Episode 5 taught me pressing your thumb against the roof of your mouth stops brain freeze.

I wish we didn’t have to wait a week for episode 6, I hope they finally show how Theo Dimas relates to all of this and give us more details about things that happened in 2010 when Charles was on prednisone.

Charles doesn’t remember Zoe’s murder because of the prednisone, could he have met Mable in 2010 and just doesn’t remember that either?

Knowing that I Lucien & Vaughn (the horticulture podcast guys) know Cinda Canning suggests this wasn’t just a one-off appearance.

Was Oscar cheating on Zoe with Mabel or was that wishful thinking?

[quote]You're lying to your boyfriend 'cause you feel like even the way you're thinking about me is cheating?

There is a couple kissing in the dark during one of the full season previews and it’s clearly not Charles or Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 133September 14, 2021 8:52 PM

Sorry, Mable should be Mabel ^

by Anonymousreply 134September 14, 2021 8:54 PM

I love the show, but not gonna lie the dead cat has me triggered. :(

by Anonymousreply 135September 15, 2021 4:01 PM

Just binged this. I agree that Martin Short is fantastic, he is carrying this on his shoulders. They could have cast someone stronger than Selena Gomez, she isn't terrible, but there are other twenty somethings that could do so much more with this role.

This isn't anything great, but it is a pleasant watch.

by Anonymousreply 136September 16, 2021 12:09 AM

[quote]What does the title mean?

In the first episode, Martin Short mentions that there was a murder committed in Central Park that the trio should consider investigating for their podcast. Steve Martin's character exclaims, "only murders in the building!"

Selena isn't bringing anything interesting to the role. Someone else would have been better. She's very wooden at times and talks as though she's clenching her jaw.

by Anonymousreply 137September 16, 2021 12:53 AM

Imagine a young Marisa Tomei in this.

Would have totally killed it, stolen the show, etc.

by Anonymousreply 138September 16, 2021 12:57 AM

I agree with the person who said it should’ve been Zendaya. They should kill Mabel and bring her in as the new main character to replace her.

by Anonymousreply 139September 16, 2021 1:42 AM

Sarah Steele would have been hilarious in Gomez’ re if this was done five years ago.

by Anonymousreply 140September 16, 2021 7:10 PM

Is there another thread for this show? Or is nobody watching?

by Anonymousreply 141September 19, 2021 4:58 PM

Why is Selena talking like she has marshmallows in her mouth?

Someone should cast her in an Anna Nicole Smith biopic, btw - their faces are very similar!

by Anonymousreply 142September 19, 2021 11:20 PM

[quote]Is there another thread for this show? Or is nobody watching?

I have given up on trying to get people to talk about something other than complaining about Selena and stick with Reddit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143September 19, 2021 11:35 PM

Thanks r143

by Anonymousreply 144September 19, 2021 11:47 PM

R142 Does the Reddit keep them from saying bad things about Selena?

by Anonymousreply 145September 19, 2021 11:58 PM

It’s a cute show and a nice break from all the somber shows I’ve been watching lately

by Anonymousreply 146September 20, 2021 12:01 AM

I’m watching it now. I was having problems with my Roku months ago and accidentally turned on the Roku robot voice. It’s female. It drives me crazy. I can’t figure out how to turn it off.

Selena Gomez in this show sounds exactly like the annoying Roku robo voice. I want to murder her. How is she an employable actor?

The show is annoying. Everything about it. The look, eg, doesn’t look anything like Manhattan. Sure, they do outdoor shots with the iconic Freedom Tower in the distance. But the interior shots just don’t look like NY. They’re like an “It’s Complicated” version of NY, where everything is perfect and clean and everyone is dressed fantastically and has great jobs, interesting lives and is some kind of formulaic stereotype with a “kooky” trait. It’s sterile, has no spark and doesn’t remotely resemble anything real. And Martin Short is reminding me of Bob Durst

by Anonymousreply 147September 20, 2021 1:10 AM

r143 Selena is a giant turd on this show of course people are going to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 148September 20, 2021 1:12 AM

Let’s hope Selena’s character makes a sacrifice at the end and dies protecting someone and they just continue with the hot jailbird actor a s the third lead.

by Anonymousreply 149September 20, 2021 1:18 AM

Martin Short surely can't actually be straight? Being married with kids doesn't actually mean he's straight (and the kids were adopted).

by Anonymousreply 150September 20, 2021 7:46 AM

I do not get the Selena hate here. She actually behaves onscreen like a recognizable human being.

Short and Martin cannot act. With every episode their performances move further and further into sketch comedy.

by Anonymousreply 151September 20, 2021 11:38 AM

[Quote] Someone should cast her in an Anna Nicole Smith biopic, btw - their faces are very similar!

That would be an absolute trainwreck. Lifetime or bust lol

by Anonymousreply 152September 20, 2021 12:47 PM

I'm only familiar with Selena in Woody Allen's 'A Rainy Day in New York' and I thought her performance was seamless. But that might have been because of her director. If she's not good in this (I've only seen clips) it had to be because of the way she was directed. Directors do more than tell an actor where to stand.

by Anonymousreply 153September 20, 2021 1:14 PM

[Quote]where everything is perfect and clean and everyone is dressed fantastically and has great jobs

It does take place in a expensive co-op in the UWS, so of course the people have to be wealthy r147.

by Anonymousreply 154September 20, 2021 1:19 PM

R153 you just reminded me of the blind item about Selena sleeping with Woody for that role...

by Anonymousreply 155September 20, 2021 1:26 PM

I HATE Martin Short's schtick whenever I see him on talk shows and stuff, but he's pretty funny on this show.

by Anonymousreply 156September 20, 2021 5:32 PM

Selena is a better fit for Barney & Friends. The three were on Steven Colbert recently, the old codgers trying to make Selena happen, but she was awkward and stiff. Very weird interview that put me off actually watching the series.

by Anonymousreply 157September 20, 2021 5:57 PM

Selena has an executive producer credit on this show which can mean just about anything.

by Anonymousreply 158September 20, 2021 11:07 PM

IMBD and Reddit are full of phony reviews. They all gush over Selena Gomez’s marbly monotone and parkinsonian face as “a flawless performance.” Reddit is rather hilarious for 2 seconds before you have to close it in disgust.

by Anonymousreply 159September 20, 2021 11:25 PM

I don’t think they’re phony, just Selena Gomez stans.

by Anonymousreply 160September 20, 2021 11:27 PM

Deeply flawed more like it.

by Anonymousreply 161September 20, 2021 11:27 PM

So Gabby and Brian went to Bayport Long Island high school, coincidence, maybe not?

by Anonymousreply 162September 20, 2021 11:29 PM

Is still don’t understand, they have a comic genius like Jackie Hoffman on your show and other then a few background scenes you don’t use her?

by Anonymousreply 163September 21, 2021 2:07 PM

They missed the opportunity for a big joke there- Nathan’s grandmother’s secret account for giving out money could have been called the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.

by Anonymousreply 164September 21, 2021 2:10 PM

Jimmy Fallon is a complete whore and will do anything for a paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 165September 21, 2021 2:11 PM

Is Lorne Michaels producing this, why are there so many Saturday Night Live people on this? Thankfully that loud Black lady that was most recently fired didn’t play the cop. Was Steve Martin ever a host after the first initial run, I can’t think of him being on the show after Gilda left?

by Anonymousreply 166September 21, 2021 2:13 PM

If two of the four “Hardy Boys” are dead, one in the last week, shouldn’t the other two be worried about their safety?

by Anonymousreply 167September 21, 2021 2:19 PM

Nah, they’ll be too busy fucking.

No Amy Ryan in this last episode so that was good.

I liked whoever played Mabel’s mama.

by Anonymousreply 168September 26, 2021 4:30 AM

Ep 6 was a snoozer. After two slow episodes in a row, we are losing faith in the show, which started with good pace and lots of frequent New York humor.

by Anonymousreply 169September 26, 2021 10:50 AM

I don’t mind Selena Gomez in this. She plays the straight man to the wackiness of the other two. Too much personality would make it unbalanced

by Anonymousreply 170September 26, 2021 12:47 PM

I agree r169. Show is starting to lose me, recent eps haven't been as entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 171September 26, 2021 1:49 PM

Agree recent eps haven't been great. The actual murder plot isn't very interesting. They need to get back to the building and the New York types like Jackie Hoffman who live there. In fact, she should be the murderer. Half of the show for me is the apartment porn . I still like the show and hope they return to form in season 2.

by Anonymousreply 172September 26, 2021 2:04 PM

R147

When activated, Audio Guide will read out text, menus and other onscreen items. Audio Guide can be turned on or off by pressing the Options button on the Roku remote four times consecutively. The Options button is located just below the directional pad and at the right hand side of the Roku remote.

I like this show because it's a fun and light-hearted way to spend 30 minutes. I think I will like it even more once it's finished and I can binge the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 173September 26, 2021 2:55 PM

The show was at its best when they showcased the eccentrics who live in the building. Don’t give a damn about Mabel’s boring mother.

by Anonymousreply 174September 26, 2021 4:21 PM

She’s only in this episode, R174, lighten up.

by Anonymousreply 175September 26, 2021 8:16 PM

This is the first time I've seen Selena Gomez in anything. I like her.

by Anonymousreply 176September 28, 2021 2:38 AM

She was in a Paul Rudd comedy essentially playing the same character.

by Anonymousreply 177September 28, 2021 3:12 AM

Ugh, in these PC times making a plot device out of someone’s disability and then making them the villian is pretty cringe.

by Anonymousreply 178September 28, 2021 9:27 AM

Are murder walls real things police use or is that just a visual device invented by Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 179September 28, 2021 9:28 AM

I wish most of the additional cast were primarily NY stage actors like Nathan Lane and Jackie Hoffman, and they gave Jackie more to do. Maybe they can make her more front and center next season. Perhaps she becomes a competing Miss Marplesque crime podcaster? Nathan has a handsome head of hair.

by Anonymousreply 180September 28, 2021 9:32 AM

Jackie can only look sour and toss off nasty asides. She’s fun when she does that (in very small doses) but I wouldn’t expect anything more.

by Anonymousreply 181September 28, 2021 3:21 PM

Does this mean that Steve Martin was a fan of “Herman’s Head”?

by Anonymousreply 182September 28, 2021 4:36 PM

That escalated fast. Wow

by Anonymousreply 183September 28, 2021 5:24 PM

That opening 5 minutes though. Great TV.

by Anonymousreply 184September 28, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote]Ugh, in these PC times making a plot device out of someone’s disability and then making them the villian is pretty cringe.

Zoe was an accident. Yes, he is a villain but he isn't the mastermind (that we know of), he's his father's puppet.

Also, the actor is deaf and the episode was from Theo's perspective.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185September 28, 2021 10:20 PM

This episode was kind of creepy. How many episodes are there going to be?

by Anonymousreply 186September 29, 2021 1:02 AM

I kinda wish I didn’t read the Reddit theories, because that spoiled the mystery for me.

by Anonymousreply 187September 29, 2021 1:17 AM

I'm watching the episodes on 1.5x and they still feel long.

by Anonymousreply 188September 29, 2021 1:34 AM

I’m fast forwarding through anything Amy Ryan is in. She’s not a bad actress but this thing with her and Steve Martin’s character is ridiculous and also boring as hell.

by Anonymousreply 189September 29, 2021 1:35 AM

Amy Ryan is no beauty or spring chicken but she's 23 years younger than Martin. Kinda gross. I guess Betty White wasn't available?

by Anonymousreply 190September 29, 2021 1:40 AM

Even though she's 23 years younger than Martin she look his age or older. There are 10 episodes total.

by Anonymousreply 191September 29, 2021 1:43 AM

I really enjoyed the last episode. Alot was explained and it moved along at a great pace.

by Anonymousreply 192September 29, 2021 6:30 PM

I've never seen (or recall) Amy Ryan in anything else. In fact when you all were talking about Amy Ryan, my brain kept thinking you were mentioning Amy Adams. So every episode I was looking for Amy Adams.

by Anonymousreply 193September 29, 2021 6:32 PM

Amy Ryan was fantastic as a lowlife in the Boston-set Gone Baby Gone. She’s worked a lot over the years but lacks whatever it takes to become a star.

by Anonymousreply 194September 29, 2021 6:43 PM

I believe that's called "Star Quality"

by Anonymousreply 195September 29, 2021 6:55 PM

Amy Ryan played the woman who stole Michael Scott’s heart on The Office and took him away from the show. The audience knew it was true love and not lust on his part because she is neither beautiful nor sexy.

by Anonymousreply 196September 29, 2021 7:28 PM

I'm surprised they pulled off the no talking for pretty much all of episode seven. Very "Hush" (Buffy The Vampire Slayer). Nice reveal, even though it was figured out early on by Reddit posters.

by Anonymousreply 197September 30, 2021 12:41 PM

I have trouble watching no talking shows (and subtitles) because I tend do something else while I watch tv.

by Anonymousreply 198September 30, 2021 11:26 PM

Yeah it was an interesting idea but honestly didn't need to be the entire episode.

by Anonymousreply 199October 1, 2021 1:37 AM

All I know is that the final episode will end with Steve Martin making Selena Gomez an omlet. Maybe Amy Ryan, but he will be making someone an omlet.

by Anonymousreply 200October 2, 2021 4:35 AM

Dang. Twist at episode eight.

But then, Only Murder in the Building is about two murders (or one murder and an accidental manslaughter and its cover up).

by Anonymousreply 201October 5, 2021 9:35 AM

Surprised there isn’t more discussion on this. I found this weeks episode….frustrating. So much going on. It seemed like nobody took a second to think. This could have been two episodes. It was all rushed.

by Anonymousreply 202October 5, 2021 2:47 PM

Honestly, I was into this show for the first couple episodes but I’ve totally lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 203October 6, 2021 10:48 AM

Given that the episodes are only about half an hour it's a rather quick binge to catch up on. I binged on another show the last few weeks and was up to speed with OMitB in less than two hours.

by Anonymousreply 204October 6, 2021 10:50 AM

The last episode did confuse me. I thought they already knew about the poison? It was off to me that it wasn’t brought up in that group meeting.

by Anonymousreply 205October 6, 2021 11:13 AM

r205, the inner circle was so focussed on the Dimas family that they lost the plot so-to-speak. Oliver even mentions it when he brings the fans along to help them see something they might have overlooked, but hisses at Jan when she dares to open her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 206October 6, 2021 3:47 PM

I enjoy the show. The episodes are short, the old guard are great.

Gomez though is a very mediocre actress. Her speaking voice is unbearable, and the total lack of diction inexcusable.

by Anonymousreply 207October 6, 2021 4:09 PM

Did Oliver's dog ever drink any of the Gut Milk? Was there any evidence that Tim had Gut Milk in his possession?

Gut Milk has to play some part as it is mentioned in just about every episode.

by Anonymousreply 208October 7, 2021 12:58 AM

So who poisoned Tim Kono? This is very confusing.

by Anonymousreply 209October 7, 2021 1:02 AM

It does seem like it’s coming together at the seams.

by Anonymousreply 210October 7, 2021 1:04 AM

Maybe Jan took Tim some (dry) pizza rolls?

This show paints the NYPD in a hilariously inept light, and I'm not mad about it. They've bungled the whole thing since minute one.

by Anonymousreply 211October 7, 2021 2:06 AM

Why would they put out the podcast without getting all the facts if they knew that if they were wrong (or even if they were right) it would paint a target on the backs?

by Anonymousreply 212October 7, 2021 4:06 AM

R212 yeah seems like they are setting themselves up for a huge lawsuit without a whole lot of caveats and “allegedly”s

by Anonymousreply 213October 7, 2021 11:00 AM

It's a TV show, not real life, folks.

by Anonymousreply 214October 7, 2021 12:50 PM

Amy Ryan isn't getting an omlet now.

by Anonymousreply 215October 7, 2021 3:24 PM

The super's son should be the murderer. He has the most obvious motive and knew Jan was on to something. But I'm sure they won't go there. I like the show when they're in the building.

by Anonymousreply 216October 7, 2021 3:31 PM

I never trusted Jan.

by Anonymousreply 217October 7, 2021 9:56 PM

Yeah, she kept pushing the dead cat guy as the suspect. Anc her pizza rolls were dry as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 218October 7, 2021 11:35 PM

There are theories for almost every character on Reddit. It’s interesting.

by Anonymousreply 219October 8, 2021 12:29 AM

I enjoyed Tony winner Ali Stroker as the fan in the wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 220October 8, 2021 1:51 PM

She’s always going to be the fan in the wheelchair.

by Anonymousreply 221October 8, 2021 2:18 PM

The fans in front tried to cover as many minorities as possible: Asian, wheelchair, old. Did they have a Black guy?

by Anonymousreply 222October 8, 2021 4:15 PM

The kid was certainly POC but not black.

by Anonymousreply 223October 8, 2021 5:03 PM

The young POC guy, Jaboukie Young-White, is black.

by Anonymousreply 224October 8, 2021 8:20 PM

I think horndog Oscar is closeted bi and secretly dating/fucking Howard, AKA his sugar daddy (the first murderer). Howard poisoned Tim Kono (who he already despised) because he found out Oscar had a thing with him as well and he was jealous. Evelyn followed him into the room, and accidentally consumed the poison, which freaked him out so he hid Evelyn in the freezer thinking no one would find her and test her for poison.

Howard told Oscar what he did, so Oscar took the opportunity to run up to collect the jewelry. But when he heard the gunshot (from the second “murderer”) he ran.

Jan pointing out Howard triggered Oscar and so he killed her (or he informed Howard who killed her).

by Anonymousreply 225October 8, 2021 9:40 PM

This was crying out for a better actress than Gomez. IF they had got that right it would've been much better, although she does have some chemistry with the two older leads. Being in the podcasting game, I did find it odd that Oliver was supposed to be a bumbling technophobe who still manged to string together and publish a podcast from random recordings made on hos phone. Also, Steve Martin's apartment was way too nice to match his character.

by Anonymousreply 226October 8, 2021 9:47 PM

Gomez is an executive producer on the show, so I don't think they could have gotten another actress.

by Anonymousreply 227October 10, 2021 2:53 PM

R227, she was made an executive producer after she was already cast. This kind of thing happens all the time now. It’s not a power position, more of a figurehead with percentage points.

by Anonymousreply 228October 10, 2021 5:00 PM

Yeah, it was probably negotiated with her salary.

by Anonymousreply 229October 10, 2021 5:22 PM

Gomez is branching her career out. She’s producing here. I walked by a Sephora yesterday and saw she has a line of cosmetics.

by Anonymousreply 230October 10, 2021 6:41 PM

Selena Gomez was also a co-producer of 13 Reasons Why without playing any role in it.

She is doing stuff behind the camera and has business ventures outside Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 231October 10, 2021 7:19 PM

Isn’t she the one who got a kidney transplant?

by Anonymousreply 232October 10, 2021 9:29 PM

R230 Rare Beauty has been out for a while now. Rumour is she started it to pay back her record label.

by Anonymousreply 233October 11, 2021 11:21 AM

Wow. The show is good at throwing you some amazing curve balls. Jane Lynch? A female love interest of Charles leaving him for a woman? And later leaving that woman for a man? Wow. Of course, the twist at the end of the latest episode was kind of foreshadowed the moment Jan got stabbed. It's a common trope for a murderer to throw off suspicion by staging an attack on himself.

by Anonymousreply 234October 12, 2021 11:10 AM

I wonder if that was a subtle jab at Anne Heche leaving Steve Martin for Ellen, then leaving her for a man.

by Anonymousreply 235October 12, 2021 11:18 AM

I don't know if that has been mentioned before, but during the opening credits. Doesn't the woman in the final window look like Bea Arthur?

by Anonymousreply 236October 12, 2021 11:44 AM

I thought this was going to be the finale, but I guess there’s at least one more? It’s beginning to feel like a Ryan Murphy show, falling apart plot wise in the late episodes and going over the top to hide try an hide it.

by Anonymousreply 237October 12, 2021 2:48 PM

Why did Jan poison and shoot Tim Kono?

by Anonymousreply 238October 12, 2021 4:52 PM

Tim Kono hated noise and Jan played that fucking bassoon every night. Perhaps she only did the poisoning and someone else did the shooting?

by Anonymousreply 239October 12, 2021 7:49 PM

One Reddit theory/conversation:

[quote]Jan, as we saw throughout the ep, has issues with being second. My theory is that the prodigy bassoonist was Tim’s girlfriend as we see her new boyfriend and he’s Asian so obviously that is her type. Jan hates being second so she tried to poison the prodigy as we know there were two people at Tim’s place that night and instead of getting the bassoonist she got Tim. That explains the bassoon cleaner being in the apartment and then why there were two glasses from the night of the murder. The motive is there but that would explain the shot to the head. Sorry if this was already said before but I just watched the episode. Let me know what you think!

[quote]If Jan tried to poison the prodigy bassoonist, it was because she was jealous of her taking her place in the symphony, not because she had a thing for Tim. Tim may have accidentally ingested what was meant for the girl (this is assuming that Tim and the prodigy were together). But then, where was the girl when Tim was shot? And I have questions about the timing - in the elevator, Tim says it will be 12 minutes until he is killed. Does that mean 12 minutes until he is poisoned or 12 minutes until he is shot? If it was 12 minutes until he was poisoned (which is the actual cause of death) then someone could have been waiting for him in his apartment, known or unknown to him. Death from poisoning doesn't happen instantaneously - it takes several minutes at least. But we also hear the sound of the gunshot when Oscar stands in front of the door with the alarm still going off. Which means there wasn't all that much time between the poisoning and the gunshot. So, now I'm thinking it was one person who did both, but I don't think it's Jan. Mainly because her secrets seem pretty understandable and there is a pattern so far in the series to portray secrets that seem more sinister than they end up being. People lie for all kinds of reasons.

[quote]There's no evidence Tim knew her. It's more likely he had a thing with Jan. They live in the same building, and he got on the elevator on floor 6. A girl that young drinking bourbon? I think Jan is more likely to drink that.

[quote]Jan would also fit Sazz's theory that the suicide notes in the garbage bag from floor 6 belonged to Tim's lover and that the notes talked about how lonely they were. Tim could've stolen Jan's trash, or maybe the therapist's (both on floor 6), if Jan was seeing the therapist and he had her journal her feelings. Interesting that Jan is never in the frame while Sazz is talking about the lover's motive and premeditation. The next time we see her is only when Charles goes to her and hurts her by accident while saying they were in a passionate relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240October 12, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote] If Jan tried to poison the prodigy bassoonist

This would only make sense if the prodigy bassoonist also lives in the building, and it was her trash Tim was carrying. A bassoonist who doesn't rehearse as much as Jan, or at all (or she has a soundproof room?). Unless the show manages to separate Tim's secret lover, the original owner of the trash Tim was carrying, Tim getting poisoned, and Tim getting shot and matches an individual to each mystery, which would be completely bonkers in a final episode.

by Anonymousreply 241October 12, 2021 9:04 PM

It's a fun show.

But Selena and Nathan Lane's son should've switched roles. Listening to her drone is like water torture.

by Anonymousreply 242October 12, 2021 9:25 PM

Martin Short’s character is getting on my nerves. I hate when they tell comedians to ad-lib to fill the air. Reminds me of the quote “Don’t just do something, stand there.”

by Anonymousreply 243October 12, 2021 9:52 PM

r242

she has this weird affect to her voice... it's kinda like vocal fry but different

by Anonymousreply 244October 12, 2021 10:05 PM

It's vocal fry that lives in her nasal passage.

My three cousins - all sisters - have the same affect and it drives me nuts.

by Anonymousreply 245October 12, 2021 11:32 PM

I tried with the first episode. It was too hokey and slapstick and I hated Selena's humorless and unrealistic character.

by Anonymousreply 246October 12, 2021 11:33 PM

Someone on another board said that Selena's speech is affected by her lupus. She also has arthritis already.

by Anonymousreply 247October 13, 2021 12:40 AM

R245, the woman from Better Call Saul has the same thing. It's very distracting. Clenched jaw, nasal fry. It's hard to understand their words.

by Anonymousreply 248October 13, 2021 1:28 PM

So much depends upon

A bassoon cleaner

To propel the plot

Forward to the finale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249October 13, 2021 1:44 PM

This was a really accomplished episode, with Jane Lynch taking it down a notch in her conversation with her doppelganger, she, the physical firebrand, and Steve Martin with his flaccid caution. She could have delivered her lines in that scene as a reproach, but she did it beautifully, as if she's talking to herself in the mirror and giving him the push to go to the concert. (Never mind what ensued, I'm talking about how that exchange made the most of the whole bit about her being his stunt double.)

by Anonymousreply 250October 13, 2021 4:43 PM

^ taking it UP a notch then?

by Anonymousreply 251October 13, 2021 4:54 PM

Well, taking it down a notch in that she's often over the top, relying on her big personality. I thought she forwent the opportunity to rip into Steve Martin's character, and instead was rather loving. I see what you mean, though; I could also have said she took it up a notch in the quality of her performance--but then, I really love her.

by Anonymousreply 252October 13, 2021 5:01 PM

Jane was fantastic. Apart from Selena's part, the show is really well executed.

by Anonymousreply 253October 13, 2021 5:37 PM

Jan might be in the revenge game , thinking her daughter is the dead girl Zoe. She’s pissed about the young girl being first chair over her , somehow that plays into a Tim Kono storyline (she has a thing for Asian men , her date sat next to Charles at the concert). I think MANY people tried to kill Tim, something about the GUT MILK plays into it.

by Anonymousreply 254October 17, 2021 3:17 AM

Episode 9 was the best and funniest yet. I didn’t laugh that much with other episodes.

by Anonymousreply 255October 17, 2021 7:35 AM

Jane Lynch was vicious to Martin Short when he was on that TV game show she hosted. It wasn't just humorous banter between them. She was nasty. I think it's interesting they are in this show together.

by Anonymousreply 256October 17, 2021 8:06 AM

Is Jane Lynch just a hateful cunt or is that an act?

by Anonymousreply 257October 17, 2021 2:12 PM

r256

any clip of said cuntiness?

by Anonymousreply 258October 17, 2021 2:15 PM

She’s not a cunt, she just plays one on TV. I work on the set of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and she’s very warm, charming and self-depracating. She does screw up on her lines, though. It gets so bad the lovely Rachel Brosnihan even fucks up on purpose so it won’t make Jane look so bad.

by Anonymousreply 259October 17, 2021 5:50 PM

[quote]It gets so bad the lovely Rachel Brosnihan even fucks up on purpose so it won’t make Jane look so bad.

You work there but you can't spell the star's name correctly?

by Anonymousreply 260October 17, 2021 5:57 PM

Oh, so sorry, R260, haven’t had a look at a call sheet recently. (roll eyes)

by Anonymousreply 261October 17, 2021 6:03 PM

Are all the episodes up now? I want to binge the whole thing but except for here, it gets no attention anymore.

by Anonymousreply 262October 18, 2021 5:23 PM

R262 Last episode is tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 263October 18, 2021 5:28 PM

Thanks R263

by Anonymousreply 264October 19, 2021 1:54 AM

Eh, anticlimactic.

by Anonymousreply 265October 19, 2021 6:40 AM

Loved the reveal who got murdered in the tye dye hoodie. The rest was rather meh, turning the bassoonist into a crazy bitch who was able to keep it hidden the whole time. However, Steve still got it when it comes to physical comedy (the elevator scene and the mumbling while under the influence of the poison).

by Anonymousreply 266October 19, 2021 8:21 AM

Users from homicide threads on DL, especially when they are attracted to the killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267October 19, 2021 10:02 AM

I thought the finale was fantastic, until the very end when they had to create new drama for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 268October 19, 2021 11:38 AM

I agree, R268. Didn’t love that.

by Anonymousreply 269October 20, 2021 1:05 AM

Excellent finale! And Steve Martin is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 270October 20, 2021 1:06 AM

She’s on TikTok live with 35,000 viewers answering questions. She’s just as flat and as unanimated as her character, talking about how she doesn’t like to listen to actual podcasts or knit. She has this air about her like she has a terminal illness and is in pain or drugged up that I’ve experienced working in a hospital.

by Anonymousreply 271October 20, 2021 1:39 AM

If Jackie Hoffman isn’t bumped up to a main character in Only Murders in the Building season two I’m not watching. Please someone make sure this gets to Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 272October 20, 2021 2:18 AM

She's probably the murderer r272, she's the only other big star.

by Anonymousreply 273October 20, 2021 3:27 AM

What am I, chopped souvlaki?

by Anonymousreply 274October 20, 2021 3:31 AM

That wasn’t very realistic. Jan would’ve made sure to kill Charles because she knows he’s an actor.

And then she’s stopped by such an idiotic way. She would’ve killed all 3 of them before they had the chance to touch her.

by Anonymousreply 275October 20, 2021 2:57 PM

Whimper, not a bang.

by Anonymousreply 276October 20, 2021 2:59 PM

Have they started on Season 2 yet?

by Anonymousreply 277October 20, 2021 5:38 PM

It’s being written,, but haven’t started filming. I am assuming they’ll wait til spring to film since season one ended in March and if they’re picking up where they left off, it would make sense.

by Anonymousreply 278October 20, 2021 6:44 PM

I've never heard Selena Gomez sing, but her speaking voice sounds like she has a sinus condition.

by Anonymousreply 279October 20, 2021 8:30 PM

^^ I was unaware of her Lupus.

by Anonymousreply 280October 20, 2021 8:39 PM

Just wrapped - I thoroughly enjoyed this. Short and Martin are just perfect together.

by Anonymousreply 281October 21, 2021 2:29 AM

Knew it was Jan and her F***ing Tim Kono was weird. She should’ve been out for revenge for the death of Zoe (maybe her daughter? Niece?) but the ending wasn’t as satisfying as I thought. Also, she’s a murderer so she’s not letting Charles off that easily, she would’ve made it look like someone else did it. The fact is too many loose ends TBH. Oliver’s Veterinarian son is sketchy as hell, so is Oscar the jailbird with way too nice of a disposition and Cinda (Tina Fey). Something is odd about her being at the Arconia when they barely got the cops there, it’s like she has an inside track at NYPD to know when a murder occurs to get ahead of it for her pod. Oh and WTFuck with the weird drink stuff Oscar has way too much of (Gut Milk) ? There’s something about that as well. Then there’s the knows it all Doorman who is chatty and gossipy. Still wish it was Sting.

by Anonymousreply 282October 21, 2021 2:38 AM

I liked it. It was cozy.

by Anonymousreply 283October 21, 2021 2:45 AM

I laughed out loud at Martin's expression while being wheeled around on the dolly.

by Anonymousreply 284October 21, 2021 7:04 AM

It’s not really the kind of show you watch for the mystery. Or the plotting. Or the characters. Or the humor. Or the… why do we watch it?

by Anonymousreply 285October 21, 2021 7:38 AM

I watched it for Martin Short and Steve Martin. I didn't expect much more from the show other than just watching them do their thing. I was not disappointed. Martin Short made me laugh out loud at least once per episode, and honestly these days anything that can make me laugh is ok by me.

by Anonymousreply 286October 21, 2021 9:05 AM

Basically revealing the killer at the end of episode 9 was really dumb. They could have made it a total red herring. Perhaps the young bassoon player could have been the actual killer.

by Anonymousreply 287October 21, 2021 9:25 AM

Jan was oddly ok with admitting the whole crime, almost too ok with it. She’s either a schizophrenic with multiple personality disorder or she’s covering for the real killer knowing her mental disorder will get her off on charges because she isn’t the true real murderer. I can’t buy her and Tim Kono having an affair. He was a kid even though he acted older, their age gap was huge. She is weird and has issues but I think she has a revenge plot against Tim yet she didn’t shoot him as she claimed. She poisoned him but I don’t think she was alone doing it. Or I just don’t like how neatly this was packaged for the final episode. Somethings odd. Cindra (Tina Fey playing nasty girl is always a favorite) showing up while they just had a new murder in the building ? We need more Nathan Lane so that can’t be over. The building super seems to be suspicious since his son was framed for a murder yet he kept his job there? Why didn’t Charles and Oliver press Mable on her BNAs as a teen? She was going into peoples apartments, very uncool, and she lied to them since day one. Also wouldn’t they ask her where her Aunt is?

by Anonymousreply 288October 21, 2021 12:03 PM

Let's also ask why Mabel's aunt would want that horrendous "art" painted on the wall of her apartment.

by Anonymousreply 289October 21, 2021 1:21 PM

Well, at least the American Horror Story finale made this one seem quite palatable by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 290October 21, 2021 1:22 PM

My favorite Martin Short lines:

When Steve Martin says, when they start recording their first episode, "And why are we doing this in a closet?" "Oh now you sound like Patti Lupone."

Another: "As I said to Paula Abdul during our production of Hedda Gabler: We gotta start thinking outside the box here."

by Anonymousreply 291October 21, 2021 3:52 PM

That Patti LuPone line made me giggle because I was on set of Law & Order when LuPone whined about having to carry a briefcase. The tough as nails prop gal said “You’re playing an attorney. You get a briefcase. At least I didn’t fill it with rocks.”

by Anonymousreply 292October 22, 2021 12:32 AM

Do you think we’ll find out more about Jan in season 2? Or is she a done character?

by Anonymousreply 293October 22, 2021 1:05 AM

The creator/showrunner hinted that we might not have seen the last of her but who knows.

Why wasn’t Jane Lynch in the finale?

by Anonymousreply 294October 22, 2021 2:30 AM

Selena talks like she has new teeth or her jaws are clenched, she is not a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 295October 22, 2021 4:01 AM

Finally, a Reddit theory that I can get behind:

[quote]Fact: Jan has serious unchecked mental issues.

[quote]Fact: Jan has a serious deep rooted hatred for being number two.

[quote]Fact: Even in tense situations she cracks campy jokes.

[quote]Fact: Jan is in her 50s, meaning she grew up in the 70s.

[quote]Fact: Jan has blond hair.

[quote]Theory: Given the evidence I am forced to the assumption that Jan is actually middle child and fellow psychopath Jan Brady. Perhaps she changed her last name to distance herself from her family and more successful sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296October 22, 2021 4:07 AM

Great ending. Great show.

by Anonymousreply 297October 22, 2021 6:08 AM

Is Jackie Hoffman related to John Hoffman who wrote it with Martin?

by Anonymousreply 298October 23, 2021 11:27 AM

The woman who made them buy the gut milk for info on Tim Kono, maybe she is the one who did Babs in?

by Anonymousreply 299October 23, 2021 11:32 AM

[quote]Is Jackie Hoffman related to John Hoffman who wrote it with Martin?

I wondered as well, but it doesn't appear so. She needs MUCH more to do for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 300October 23, 2021 2:53 PM

R300

I wonder if she’s the murderer. She seemed the closest to Bunny. I wonder if there’s more there.

by Anonymousreply 301October 23, 2021 4:21 PM

I love the concept of this show. I think it’s one that could continue for many years. They could even pass the torch to a new trio of fans.

by Anonymousreply 302October 23, 2021 4:22 PM

[quote]The woman who made them buy the gut milk for info on Tim Kono, maybe she is the one who did Babs in?

Who is Babs?

by Anonymousreply 303October 23, 2021 4:36 PM

So many people on Reddit are so desperate to pin everything on Oscar. I really doubt it was him.

by Anonymousreply 304October 23, 2021 4:52 PM

They should give the cat man a boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 305October 23, 2021 5:02 PM

Wait, I just realized, the cat paw in the freeze was just a red herring, nothing became of it?

by Anonymousreply 306October 23, 2021 5:08 PM

I love the show, but I get that odd sensation of someone screaming "don't make it too jewish!". There are these moments where the show gets this Woody Allen kind of deep or quirky, only to turn around so quickly that you suffer a whiplash.

by Anonymousreply 307October 23, 2021 5:11 PM

[quote]Wait, I just realized, the cat paw in the freeze was just a red herring, nothing became of it?

Except at least call-back jokes. The best: "and that smell is new..."

by Anonymousreply 308October 23, 2021 5:45 PM

Lot of stuff was just red herrings. Like, Gut Milk.

by Anonymousreply 309October 23, 2021 7:20 PM

The show needs to be more Jewish. That's actually the best part of the show but I guess only the Martin Short character is actually Jewish (and Bunny and Jackie Hoffman of course.)

by Anonymousreply 310October 23, 2021 8:00 PM

Are you serious? The season is over and they don’t say who the murderer is?

by Anonymousreply 311October 23, 2021 8:04 PM

R311, they do say who the murderer is.

Then they introduce a new killing to be solved in the second season.

by Anonymousreply 312October 23, 2021 8:25 PM

It was cute but I have no desire to watch a second season

by Anonymousreply 313October 24, 2021 12:47 AM

r303 oops sorry I meant Bunny.

by Anonymousreply 314October 24, 2021 2:33 AM

I will say they are not afraid to hire ugly actors, almost everyone on that show is below average looking.

by Anonymousreply 315October 24, 2021 2:35 AM

Jan spilling her guts was too easy an out. And Tim Kono was weird looking. Oscar is shady. Oliver’s son is shady. Where’s Mabel’s aunt?

by Anonymousreply 316October 24, 2021 2:53 AM

The aunt will appear in Season 2 and be played by Rosie Perez.

by Anonymousreply 317October 24, 2021 1:49 PM

[Quote] I will say they are not afraid to hire ugly actors, almost everyone on that show is below average looking.

They’re all character actors—each gave a finely edged performance

by Anonymousreply 318October 24, 2021 2:45 PM

I want Aaron Dominguez inside of me.

by Anonymousreply 319October 24, 2021 2:48 PM

Am I wrong in thinking that at the beginning of the series Martin was playing his character too over the top but toned it down after about the 3 third episode. The rest of the series he was just right and I wanted to see more of him and his bad theater director bits.

by Anonymousreply 320October 24, 2021 9:00 PM

R319, he can fuck you after I’ve had my way with his nipples.

by Anonymousreply 321October 24, 2021 9:12 PM

r320 are you talking about Martin Short? Confusing when they both have Martin in their name.

by Anonymousreply 322October 24, 2021 10:39 PM

Yes 322 Martin Short but I would also say that both seemed to relax into their roles as the episodes went on.

by Anonymousreply 323October 24, 2021 10:42 PM

I want Martin Short's son in my shower.

by Anonymousreply 324October 25, 2021 3:34 AM

If any of you haven’t seen Amy Ryan’s performance in Gone Baby Gone, you should. She is a real actress, in that she can actually change her behavior for different roles.

Most actors can’t do that - they have a particular persona and act out variations of that. But she can actually become different people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325October 25, 2021 4:47 AM

Crew friend told me Season 2 starts shooting the middle of next month and goes until late March.

by Anonymousreply 326October 25, 2021 7:09 PM

Selena Gomez is perfectly fine in this. She has been great at moments.

by Anonymousreply 327October 29, 2021 1:59 AM

^^ Yes, when she wasn't speaking.

by Anonymousreply 328October 29, 2021 10:07 PM

Maybe they can incorporate Selena's leaked videos for season 2.

by Anonymousreply 329October 30, 2021 2:28 AM

Loving every moment but I think I missed something. Mabel says she's going to Teaneck New Jersey but they go to Long Island..Whadda I miss?

by Anonymousreply 330November 6, 2021 1:45 AM

Just finished the show, loved it, Martin Short was the best but most of the character actors were fantastic too.

Some of the "red herrings" in season one will probably be mentioned in season two, since the current murderer is clearly upset about the podcast, meaning that it probably has something to do with Tim's murder, even tangentially. We also never found out who the engagement ring Tim bought was for. Jan said he was seeing someone else so that's a loose end that was never tied up.

by Anonymousreply 331November 7, 2021 10:20 AM

Tim Kono was FUG , glad they offered him.

by Anonymousreply 332November 7, 2021 11:35 AM

[quote]Amy Ryan is no beauty or spring chicken but she's 23 years younger than Martin. Kinda gross.

At least they mentioned it a LOT, really dunking on Martin about it. She also looked a decade older than she is, I didn't even recognize her at first, it was kind of jarring.

by Anonymousreply 333November 7, 2021 12:13 PM

Playing the bassoon must take years off of your life.

by Anonymousreply 334November 7, 2021 1:02 PM

I’m still wondering about the murder in the park. Was that ever explained?

by Anonymousreply 335November 7, 2021 1:07 PM

I think there was something more between Tim and Bunny. Because, why didn’t she evict him with all those complaints? Hm.

by Anonymousreply 336November 7, 2021 1:16 PM

Right? When she said anyone with 8 complaints is subject to a vote from the other tenants as to whether they can still live there or not, I wondered how Tim was never even voted on.

They did make sure to always put Bunny in those big statement necklaces so maybe that was a clue that she was in on the jewelry thing with Tim or the Dimas'.

by Anonymousreply 337November 7, 2021 2:58 PM

I wish they would've revealed that he was bisexual, after they mentioned the possibility that Tim's lover could've been a man.

by Anonymousreply 338November 7, 2021 3:35 PM

I thought they were going to make him gay and Oscar bi and make them lovers (meaning Oscar actually had a thing with each of the Hardy Boys). I thought they were hinting at Oscar cheating on Zoe with Tim. But I was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 339November 7, 2021 3:44 PM

I thought Tim was closeted gay at first because it was bizarre how Mabel knew nothing about his love life.

by Anonymousreply 340November 7, 2021 4:19 PM

Bunny in on the scam with Tim and the Dimases to steal and sell jewelry? Tim F***ing old Coots in the building like an escort so he kept his apartment buy being a kept man for the old building hags?

by Anonymousreply 341November 9, 2021 12:45 PM

Jackie Hoffman wasn't put to much use, maybe she will be involved in the murder?

by Anonymousreply 342November 9, 2021 4:32 PM

Can I ask about a scene? Steve and Martin are in the car and they do this whole bit about towns on Long Island. Being from there I got the humor, but to people who know nothing about LI, or from the rest of the country, did you find it funny or just some ramblings? To me it seemed like such an inside joke.

by Anonymousreply 343November 9, 2021 9:02 PM

It just sounded dumb to me. And I come from LI.

by Anonymousreply 344November 9, 2021 9:04 PM

It’s too easy for Oscar to come out of prison for ten years and assimilate right back into his life with the girl he thought was a friend but never visited him. Now they’re automatically a couple?? He can go live in the building that he was arrested for killing his ex in? Fishy as fuck. Mabel just fucks him like this was normal? Then Kono, clearly playing on our team, is with a woman twice his age having loud noisy Hetero sex? Not buying it. If he and Teddy Dimases’ deaf twink son were secret lovers, I’m all in. Also, Oliver’s half breed, veterinarian son is shady. He harbors resentment toward his dad for using his hard earned money to invest into his career but the son feels it was his money for college? No parent owes you a college fund. Where’s Oliver’s ex wife? I can’t buy the one killer only and it’s the bassoon playing middle aged white woman. Where’s Michael Scarn (the office Michael Scotts alter ego crime fighting super agent) when we need him.

by Anonymousreply 345November 10, 2021 11:46 AM

Stop trolling with your racist nonsense, r345. You didn't even bother to get main plot points right, but maybe you're hoping you'll get attention from people who will correct you.

by Anonymousreply 346November 10, 2021 11:49 AM

Oscar staying with his dad, who is the maintenance guy of the building, makes perfect sense. His dad can provide him with a steady residency that is required for released former inmates.

by Anonymousreply 347November 10, 2021 11:54 AM

Crew friend told me first shoot day for S2 has been pushed to early December. And for some reason some of it will be set in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 348November 12, 2021 3:39 AM

I enjoyed watching the show and much of it was cute and clever but it had so many damn plot holes in it.

1) Why would Teddy sponsor/encourage a podcast that could find out about his own shady shit? Also: why the fuck did the King of Delis also own funeral homes?

2) The stuff with the cop was idiotic. Detectives don't just show up and declare "Case closed! It was a suicide!" before an autopsy is done. Also: was that cop on the take? Cause how else could she afford that hugeass apartment she had?

3) The bit with Bunny evicting people right and left, from a co-op, was also ridiculous and stupid. Not how eviction works, not even in a rental.

4) Why is Serena Gomez's mom middle class and the aunt (is it her sister?) rich enough to be able to live in that building? Where is the aunt anyway?

5) Why did Oscar get such a great credit in the show, listed in the opening credits? He really wasn't that important of a character. Also, the actor seems hella gay....not that there's anything wrong with that.

6) Charles was a big TV star in the NINETIES?!?!? So, he's 70something now so 40something when he had his hit show...what was he BEFORE he became a star?

7) Why did they make Martin Short's character straight? He seemed RAAAAL gay. But, Martin Short seems pretty gay in everything he does...

The plot was rushed along too fast, too. It really should have been longer...12 to 16 episodes would have given them the right amount of time to structure the story better.

by Anonymousreply 349November 12, 2021 6:45 AM

[quote]Also: why the fuck did the King of Delis also own funeral homes?

Where do you think he gets the meat for his salamis?

by Anonymousreply 350November 12, 2021 6:46 PM

Has anyone asked what Martin Short's lovely wife thinks about the program?

by Anonymousreply 351November 12, 2021 6:46 PM

[quote]Her casting thus strikes me as cynical because you know Hulu execs told them they needed someone young, preferably a woman, who is somehow "of color" (even if it just means being tan or having ethnic grandparents) to garner an audience. I get that Martin and Short on their own wouldn't attract a demographic interesting to advertisers, but Gomez just does not add anything to the proceedings.

How could Selena not be in the series? She's one of the producers. 😂 🤣

by Anonymousreply 352November 23, 2021 6:07 AM

[quote]The bit with Bunny evicting people right and left, from a co-op, was also ridiculous and stupid. Not how eviction works, not even in a rental.

Bunny was thoroughly ridiculous. A co-op board president, if that's what she was supposed to be, doesn't have the sole power to evict people. Nor would they use such vulgar laugh when talking to a cooperator.

The entire co-op board usually gets together to discuss a problematic tenant, then there's a period of warnings. If the tenant continues their terrible behavior, then their are fines for whatever reason a cooperator might considered for eviction.

The lobby scenes with the other tenants present, when Bunny was embarrassing and yelling at Martin Short's character, were especially ridiculous, that would never happen, especially in that sort of co-op.

Co-op meetings, between the board and the tenants, usually don't take place in the building's lobby. Talk about ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 353November 23, 2021 6:25 AM

Apparently some here think it's a documentary and not a situation comedy.

by Anonymousreply 354November 23, 2021 9:14 AM

Amen R354. Imagine the scintillating television that would emerge from filming co-op board meetings as they occur in real life. Sign me up.

by Anonymousreply 355November 23, 2021 9:29 AM

r349

1) Teddy said he was sponsoring them as a "keep your enemies closer" move. Also, WHY he owns funeral homes isn't a plot hole, it's so he can steal the jewelry, which honestly didn't make a lot of sense but I think we're going to hear more about that in the second season.

2) The cop said they didn't know for sure it was suicide. She said what she did because she was angry about true crime nuts getting in the way again and was trying to shoo them off. And no one in the show realistically could have afforded the apartment they were in, except Teddy and Tim.

3) I agree the eviction stuff was flimsy, all three of them would have gotten an attorney within moments and fought the eviction and probably won.

4) Again, not a plot hole. The aunt not being shown or explained is almost certainly so there's more information to reveal in the second series. Remember, Mabel said there were loose ends that they didn't get to. This is more of a loose end than a plot hole.

5) Oscar is, for some reason, listed in every episode when he's not actually in about half of them. Not sure why that is.

6) Charles' show "Brazzos" was probably late 80s to early 90s, but they're vague about the dates. I think the reason the show looks so bad on the YouTube clips is on purpose and meant to indicate it was never on cable in reruns, because it wasn't ever that popular. That means the only copies of the show online are old VHS copies taped during its original run.

7) I still think we might find out Martin Short's character was gay and closeted.

by Anonymousreply 356November 23, 2021 11:37 AM

The aunt wasn't around because the apartment was gutted for renovation. Many rich people rent another place so they don't have to live there during the mess.

by Anonymousreply 357November 23, 2021 12:42 PM

But where are the renovators?

by Anonymousreply 358November 23, 2021 12:47 PM

Mabel was fucking it up and shouldn't have been in charge.

by Anonymousreply 359November 23, 2021 3:24 PM

There's something to the name Theo Dimas, right? God + The People? Or just a very nice name?

by Anonymousreply 360November 23, 2021 4:54 PM

[quote]Amen [R354]. Imagine the scintillating television that would emerge from filming co-op board meetings as they occur in real life. Sign me up.

What's your problem? You cannot afford to live in one of those fabulous grand and very large NYC co-ops?

Don't be so ignorant, there should have been some semblance of reality. Besides, someone as tacky as Bunny wouldn't even be living in such an expensive co-op.

by Anonymousreply 361November 23, 2021 6:24 PM

Part of the series was filmed at The Belnord, a Manhattan condo. The Belnord is located at 225 W 86th Street, its 13 stories high with over 200 multi-million dollar apartment units.

Among the condo's amenities are a club lounge, concierge, children's playroom, teen room, sports court, and a private residential elevator. The landmarked, Italian Renaissance building boasts six residential lobbies, a grand, open staircase and a courtyard with over 20,000 square feet of lush gardens.

Some viewers assumed the series was filmed at the Apthorp, another grand condo on the UWS. The Apthorp is the building where Cyndi Lauper was subletting for an extremely low amount, about $650 a month and actually accused the owner of ripping her off. Unbelievable.

One six room apartment at the Apthorp now rents for $35,000 a MONTH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362November 23, 2021 6:30 PM

Isn't Selena Gomez the former Disney 'star' who got a kidney from a friend?

I noticed how yellowish her skin looked, she didn't look healthy at all.

No, I'm not the Yellow Skin troll.

by Anonymousreply 363November 23, 2021 6:46 PM

Apparently you are A if not The Yellow Skin Troll.

by Anonymousreply 364November 23, 2021 7:21 PM

[quote]Don't be so ignorant, there should have been some semblance of reality. Besides, someone as tacky as Bunny wouldn't even be living in such an expensive co-op.

Your head must explode when re-runs of "Bewitched" and "I Dream Of Jeannie" come on.

by Anonymousreply 365November 23, 2021 7:30 PM

Tomorrow’s the first day of shooting on Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 366November 29, 2021 9:59 PM

Yeah!

by Anonymousreply 367November 29, 2021 10:24 PM

Selena is the weakest link

by Anonymousreply 368December 3, 2021 1:16 PM

I hated the black detective who cursed up a storm. So unrealistic to have her talk that way to the rich people In the building. I guess that was to show NY is gritty. DItto for coarse Bunny. FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 369December 3, 2021 1:50 PM

[quote]Your head must explode when re-runs of "Bewitched" and "I Dream Of Jeannie" come on.

Not, you c'mon! Don't be absurd, the way Bunnie acted has nothing to do with fantastical TV shows. There's no comparison whatsoever.

I guess you'd have to be a native New Yorker, and live in a co-op, or at least know people who live in one, to understand how the insanity of thinking a co-op board meeting, with the residents, would not happen in a building's lobby, especially the type of high end building depicted in the series.

Bunnie was a ridiculous caricature, the way she talked to certain residents also would not happen, especially in front of other residents. Bunnie's behavior wouldn't be acceptable from the co-op board president or even an on premises co-op manager. If there's a problem with a cooperators, letters are sent to them, things are done discretely. Not by some crass loudmouth in a building lobby.

The Black woman stating she wanted the dead resident's larger apartment? That's not how a co-op works, you cannot simply take over another resident's apartment, you can try to buy another available apartment, not simply move into it because you desire a larger space or like the view better. Unless the co-op also rents apartments in the building, that wouldn't happen either. Some co-ops don't even allow a person to own more than one unit.

by Anonymousreply 370December 3, 2021 7:00 PM

[quote]I hated the black detective who cursed up a storm. So unrealistic to have her talk that way to the rich people In the building. I guess that was to show NY is gritty. DItto for coarse Bunny. FAIL.

The Black woman detective was yet another ridiculous caricature which also does not exist. Why such foul language?

Her GF was also unrealistic, the GF was much too good looking and normal to be involved with that foul mouth crass cow. I could picture the Black woman working at the post office , sweeping the subway platform or in a Rite Aid, not be a detective. EPIC FAIL!

by Anonymousreply 371December 3, 2021 7:05 PM

Filming on Season 2 started this week.

by Anonymousreply 372December 3, 2021 7:20 PM

They adding Cara Delevine (I know I misspelled that) to season 2. Another bad actress.

by Anonymousreply 373December 3, 2021 9:08 PM

My co-op has the annual shareholders meeting in the lobby. It's the only space big enough for us all. Do you really think we're going to have a separate room for a meeting held once a year?

The problem is some of our units are rentals and we had renters (ewww) walking through...some stuck around to try to listen and the super (who also owns a unit separately) was asked to chase them away.

by Anonymousreply 374December 4, 2021 2:08 PM

[quote]I guess you'd have to be a native New Yorker, and live in a co-op, or at least know people who live in one, to understand how the insanity of thinking a co-op board meeting, with the residents, would not happen in a building's lobby, especially the type of high end building depicted in the series.

Wow. I am a native New Yorker, but never lived in a co-op, upper west side and Noho, but really now. It's a situation comedy, nothing more. How many murders have been in your building? We are up to two in a matter of days because it's a TV show. I just want you open your mind and think real hard... why did Ginger bring six years worth of formal gowns on a three hour cruise?

by Anonymousreply 375December 5, 2021 3:45 PM

Let's start a Go Fund Me for R370 which can then fund their hyper-real documentary on NY co-op board meetings.

by Anonymousreply 376December 5, 2021 4:37 PM

[quote]My co-op has the annual shareholders meeting in the lobby. It's the only space big enough for us all. Do you really think we're going to have a separate room for a meeting held once a year?

That's your co-op. Not all co-ops consist of just one building, especially in NYC, there are actual co-op complexes, in Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn. I grew up in one. The co-op I currently reside in holds their Board meetings once a month and never in the lobby.

The co-op where I grew up was a complex, each building had a large rec room on each lobby level, this room was used for Board meetings as well as rented on to the cooperators for Birthday parties, after-funeral family dinners etc. The co-op, of course, charged a rental fee which helped with co-op expenses. This co-op still exists and is thriving, as soon as an apartment is for sale, it sells quickly, especially as the apartments feature spectacular views of Manhattan. While not as expensive as some co-ops. one apartment recently sold for $800,000.

Obviously, one size does not fit all.

Some of you are completely ridiculous arguing about things you know nothing or little about. A woman as rude and nasty as Bunnie would never be picked to run a co-op Board. A co-op president, must be neutral and they certainly would not scream at a cooperator in front of other residents.

Sure, it's fun seeing crazy characters in a TV series, but Bunnie was not real on any level. Some viewers actually do notice such things, there is nothing wrong with noticing glaring mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 377December 6, 2021 12:46 AM

Seek help, R377.

by Anonymousreply 378December 6, 2021 4:16 AM

Typical lame totally unimaginative DL response when someone wants to bring some reality into a silly TV series situation.

R378, kindly FUCK OFF!

by Anonymousreply 379December 6, 2021 8:23 AM

R379, do you realize your point is exactly as absurd as arguing that Sgt. Schultz on Hogan's Hero's wasn't anything like real prison guards in Nazi Germany, right?

by Anonymousreply 380December 6, 2021 8:45 AM

R379, kindly link to a video of your recorded co-op meetings so we can submit to the Emmys!

by Anonymousreply 381December 6, 2021 8:51 AM

They were shooting today outside the Belnord (?) on West 86th St today where the fictitious Arconia is set.

by Anonymousreply 382December 7, 2021 9:29 PM

Shirley MacLaine and Amy Schumer join the show for S2. Cara Delevingne is also apparently going to be in the show.

MacLaine - YES, perfect.

The others? Meh. Big, big meh.

by Anonymousreply 383January 13, 2022 4:06 PM

R363, I thought she didn’t look well. I’m glad she’s working, though. Lupus is a real bitch of a disease.

I love this show, despite its flaws.

And I am the last person to cheer for PC/ affirmative action shit, but the inclusive casting warms my heart. There are all kinds of characters and actors in this show, and it doesn’t feel terribly forced.

by Anonymousreply 384January 13, 2022 4:16 PM

Glad to hear from crew guy that Jackie Hoffman will be used more for this season.

Half the crew tested positive a few weeks ago so the start date after the holiday break got pushed to this Tuesday.

by Anonymousreply 385January 13, 2022 4:51 PM

R384 give it a rest! Every show you see is darker than the next, it’s “inclusion” overload! Every commercial voice over is a POC, there’s “black voices” categories to watch “black only” films, it’s being shoved so far down our throats, we’re shutting out wokeness. Sometimes people of different races don’t live near each other or have different shades of friends but it doesn’t make them racists, it’s called reality.

by Anonymousreply 386January 14, 2022 12:25 PM

SEASON 2 STARTS TODAY!

by Anonymousreply 387June 29, 2022 3:20 AM

Oh brother, Amy Schumer alert

by Anonymousreply 388June 29, 2022 3:31 AM

I WANT MY COCOTINI…NOW!!!”

by Anonymousreply 389June 29, 2022 3:54 AM

"That's my father" did make me laugh

by Anonymousreply 390June 29, 2022 4:16 AM

Cara Delevingne makes Selena Gomez look huge. One scene Cara has a midriff baring wife beater on and Selena has a full length coat with huge sweat on underneath.

by Anonymousreply 391June 29, 2022 5:45 AM

^^^ sweater on, but she probably was sweating

by Anonymousreply 392June 29, 2022 5:45 AM

Why does Selena speak like her jaw is wired shut?

by Anonymousreply 393June 30, 2022 3:02 AM

It’s almost perfect but Amy the joke stealing pig face Schumer had to ruin it.

by Anonymousreply 394June 30, 2022 3:05 AM

I loved seeing Shirley. There are so many older stars and NY friends they could have cast, Schumer was a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 395June 30, 2022 3:14 AM

Wow. The third episode of the second season is so wonderful by fleshing out the Bonnie character, who was quite the character. Dare I say that Jayne Houdyshell deserves at least an Emmy nomination for that episode?

Why did Bunny give the waiter such a huge tip? Is he some secret son she had? Did she know she's going to die?

Loving the show.

by Anonymousreply 396July 5, 2022 3:07 PM

Dang it, ... The third episode of the second season is so wonderful by fleshing out the BUNNY character, ...

by Anonymousreply 397July 5, 2022 3:08 PM

Jayne Houdyshell is always fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 398July 5, 2022 3:17 PM

My cat was really watching Bunny's bird, he crept up near the tv. HA!

by Anonymousreply 399July 6, 2022 2:30 AM

I wasn’t crazy about the first season, but this round it’s either wearing me down or it’s started to find it’s groove because I’ve found it to be a very cozy watch so far.

I do hope the mystery is a bit more satisfying this time, though.

by Anonymousreply 400July 7, 2022 9:01 AM

I am enjoying it as well loved Shirley and Jayne.

by Anonymousreply 401July 7, 2022 6:45 PM

Team Bunny after this last episode. Those ungrateful cunts!

by Anonymousreply 402July 7, 2022 7:44 PM

The ageist jokes are getting tired

by Anonymousreply 403July 7, 2022 8:45 PM

Selena is puffy and speaks like she has lockjaw.

by Anonymousreply 404July 8, 2022 3:53 AM

We have never seen Mabel’s aunt right? Is she dead? Next seasons ‘murder in the building’? I hate Amy Shumer she’s fugly , talentless and steals jokes . I wish she was the killer or better yet just kill the pig face off.

by Anonymousreply 405July 8, 2022 10:20 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 406July 8, 2022 11:15 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 407July 8, 2022 11:18 PM

R405

Amy is barely on the show. Her haters sure do have problems.

by Anonymousreply 408July 9, 2022 1:06 AM

R408 ask Patrice ONeals wife and the other comedians she blatantly stole from.

by Anonymousreply 409July 9, 2022 1:41 AM

Officially renewed for Season 3

by Anonymousreply 410July 11, 2022 7:21 PM

Congratulations to season 3!

by Anonymousreply 411July 11, 2022 7:22 PM

Wondering why they put a no talent joke stealer in Stings apartment. How about nyc centric Eddie Murphy, Seinfeld , Chris Rock, or LIZA! But Shumer? Did Chuck call in a favor for her? It’s a useless part and added nothing. Thankfully Martin Shorts wit and talent saved the scenes but still I was not into seeing her at the Arconia. When is Oscar back? I feel there’s some unfinished business with him and he has an ax to grind since he was imprisoned from lies told at that building. Teddys son has major rage issues , Rapist vibes , but is he the killer? It’s someone who had a major issue with Bunny OR wanted to frame the trio because they had the issue with them so they used hated Bunny as the fall guy? Theories on the killer? I noticed the seasons have an arch that focuses on one of the three: Mable season one, Charles season two and Oliver will be season 3. After that, how can this premise continue?

by Anonymousreply 412July 14, 2022 3:26 PM

I've watched it though. There were a few scattered laughs but taken as a body of work it wasn't worth the time.

Not certain if more episodes are in the pipeline.

It's sad to see Steve as such an old man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413July 14, 2022 4:02 PM

I love this show and I like that they have “opened up” The Arconia…secret passageways and doors..it’s fun.

by Anonymousreply 414July 15, 2022 2:08 AM

Just finished the first season and I found it very engaging

by Anonymousreply 415July 18, 2022 3:46 PM

r413, I read somewhere that Season 3 has been greenlit.

by Anonymousreply 416July 18, 2022 8:18 PM

Love the show but there are a few things that bother me. Amy Unfunny Shumer has no business being there. She is a Amber Heard supporter and a known joke stealer. Also, the fact Charles lamented about his exes daughter and how much he missed her but when she finally reached out, he was dismissive and even when she was at his foot, he wasn’t crying or happy he was almost annoyed. Oliver’s son said in season one Mabel was “bad news”. What does he know about her?

by Anonymousreply 417July 19, 2022 4:05 AM

Tonight's episode was not terribly good, except for Short, who is really doing all the heavy lifting this season so far. Martin and Gomez have practically faded into the woodwork (which is where I hope both Michael Cyril Creighton and Jackie Hoffman go so I never have to look at their ugly faces and see their shitty acting again).

by Anonymousreply 418July 19, 2022 6:29 AM

This latest episode was definitely the worst one so far. Cara whatsername is awful-and she’s not even pretty. I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 419July 20, 2022 2:06 AM

Cynda’s assistant was really annoying-and obviously Canadian. It was nice to see Andrea Martin, though. I bet she’s Bunny’s sister/murderer.

by Anonymousreply 420July 27, 2022 1:19 AM

Enjoying Steve Martin's wife's subtle appearances.

by Anonymousreply 421July 27, 2022 10:33 PM

Mark Conseulos plays Mabel's father

by Anonymousreply 422August 3, 2022 4:18 AM

The little girl playing young Mabel was very good. I ended up FFing through the scenes with Mabel and the deaf guy-they were moving too slowly. The actor who plays the deaf guy is excellent but not deserving of an Emmy nomination for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy because none of the stuff he gets to play are comic. The Gold Derby pundits needs to realize that.

by Anonymousreply 423August 3, 2022 12:48 PM

Another lousy episode just dropped. Who gives a fuck about the gay virgin neighbor? Or the doorman and the building manager?

by Anonymousreply 424August 9, 2022 11:32 PM

Maybe they are the murderers?

by Anonymousreply 425August 10, 2022 12:11 AM

I like Oliver's dips

by Anonymousreply 426August 10, 2022 4:56 AM

Did the cop do it?

by Anonymousreply 427August 12, 2022 1:41 AM

Wow. What a second season finale / cliffhanger! Great guest star in the final scenes and a great set-up for the next season.

Amy Schumer was apparently a one time only thing.

by Anonymousreply 428August 23, 2022 9:11 AM

Not just a cameo, apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429August 23, 2022 2:19 PM

Great ending of season 2!

by Anonymousreply 430August 24, 2022 8:40 AM

I liked how they brought in the supporting characters in that scene of the big reveal. Howard, the cat guy, was hilarious and the “slow motion” sequence had me cracking up.

by Anonymousreply 431August 24, 2022 2:00 PM

R424 the group scene made those plots more relevant now

by Anonymousreply 432August 24, 2022 2:26 PM

[quote]Amy Schumer was apparently a one time only thing.

My prayers were answered!

by Anonymousreply 433August 24, 2022 2:36 PM

I laughed out loud at Howard breaking into his Joseph audition song ...

by Anonymousreply 434August 24, 2022 2:37 PM

This season is boring. Selena got messed up from her Lupus. I think that is why she talks so bizarre now.

by Anonymousreply 435August 24, 2022 2:41 PM

I used to enjoy both Martin and Short but I tried watching several episodes when it first came out and it was boring to me, and not particularly funny. I may try again but I'm not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 436August 24, 2022 2:45 PM

I love it, flat line readings and all.

by Anonymousreply 437August 24, 2022 3:05 PM

Howard and Marvin got way too much camera time. Both are fug.

by Anonymousreply 438August 27, 2022 4:12 PM

r438, "Marv" has a great agent. He's also on L&O: Organized Crime.

by Anonymousreply 439August 27, 2022 5:03 PM

People are watching this show for the hot guys?

by Anonymousreply 440August 27, 2022 5:32 PM

Liked the second season a lot! The only part that really annoyed me was Mabel facing off with the cop at the gym: all she did was hurl insults at him, why wouldn't he walk away instead stick around to spar with her and letting her agitated him into slipping up?

Otherwise, I thought it was tight season, and we learned a lot about all three of the main characters. The "killer reveal party" was indeed killer! I burst out laughing twice: when Howard gave his best middle school line reading, and when Charles turns dramatically to point at the killer but gets disoriented.

I'm excited for more focus on Oliver's theater world next season.

by Anonymousreply 441August 27, 2022 5:35 PM

No Oscar was a bummer, it made no sense that he and his dad (the superintendent of the Arconia) vanished. Completely out of character.

by Anonymousreply 442August 27, 2022 5:37 PM

Because they wanted to explore Mabel’s sapphic side, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 443August 28, 2022 4:08 PM

Was anyone a bit let down with it being Poppy? I knew it would but I also hoped there was a twist. She had a shitty life and escaped, why risk being caught and jailed to keep a podcast going? It’s odd behavior unless she was sinister and we don’t know the real Becky/Poppy’s origin story. Oscar and his Dad just being gone from this season was weird. Howard breaking into song during the interrogation was hysterical and gave some nyc show biz wannabe vibes we needed. Sazz needs to come back, I feel she’ll be featured in next season OMFG I WANT HER AND OLIVER TO BECOME A COUPLE!!!!!! Imagine that for Charles? Hahaha Adding Paul Rudd has elevated an almost perfect show to perfection! The man is sexy as fuck , never ages and has such a like ability factor, he’s golden! I wonder if Cinda is back next season and where the hell is Mabel’s rich aunt hiding ?

by Anonymousreply 444August 30, 2022 2:21 PM

I really like the actor who's playing Howard and noticed him in a couple of things: that episode of 30 Rock where he plays a gay Republican owner of a Brooklyn hipster clothing store and as one of the pub owners on the Dexter reboot.

by Anonymousreply 445August 30, 2022 2:25 PM

No Arnav and no introduction of his daughter while Lucy is around and talking about the tunnels was a shame.

by Anonymousreply 446August 30, 2022 2:57 PM

[quote] Was anyone a bit let down with it being Poppy? I knew it would but I also hoped there was a twist. She had a shitty life and escaped, why risk being caught and jailed to keep a podcast going? It’s odd behavior unless she was sinister and we don’t know the real Becky/Poppy’s origin story.

I think she is just a stupid bitch with low self esteem issues. She thought she could start her own career by latching herself to Cinda Canning and her podcast, only to get herself from one abusive relationship to the next (but this time it's work and career related). She thought she's a total badass manipulating the cop and getting credit for reviving Cinda's podcast with a new murder mystery.

by Anonymousreply 447August 30, 2022 5:30 PM

I had to laugh out loud when it was revealed what Bunny meant with her last words. I know it's supposed to be a mystery, but not blurting out her murderers' actual name in cases like this one is pretty ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 448August 30, 2022 5:32 PM

I really hope the new murderer isn’t Jonathan. That’s too obvious.

by Anonymousreply 449August 30, 2022 5:38 PM

Will this series run long enough so that Jaboukie Young-White turns into Jaboukie Old-Black?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 450August 30, 2022 6:32 PM

[quote] I really hope the new murderer isn’t Jonathan. That’s too obvious.

I think it's going to be Andrea Martin's character (or Jane Lynch?). She seems quite fond of Charles who seems to have quite the tense relationship with the murder victim for season three. I'm guessing she will make Charles' hair and make-up for the play and gets involved in the murder mystery that way.

by Anonymousreply 451August 30, 2022 7:04 PM

R450 Jaboukie looks so fat on the show, but I just checked his insta and he seems pretty fit still?

by Anonymousreply 452August 31, 2022 7:03 AM

R452

He’s very short and looks like a child clothed. I don’t think he looks “fat” on the show.

by Anonymousreply 453September 2, 2022 2:57 PM

R453

*also without the facial hair

by Anonymousreply 454September 2, 2022 2:59 PM

You know, when I was a kid, and I was in the bathroom too long, my grammy would knock on the door and say, “Oliver? Would you like me to come in there and rub some Vaseline on your rectum?”

by Anonymousreply 455September 3, 2022 4:36 PM

[quote]when I was a kid, and I was in the bathroom too long, my grammy would knock on the door and say, “Oliver? Would you like me to come in there and rub some Vaseline on your rectum?”

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 456September 3, 2022 4:39 PM

[quote]I had to laugh out loud when it was revealed what Bunny meant with her last words. I know it's supposed to be a mystery, but not blurting out her murderers' actual name in cases like this one is pretty ridiculous.

Did she even know her?

by Anonymousreply 457September 3, 2022 4:39 PM

[quote] Did she even know her?

They met. She pressed Bunny for details about the painting and Shirley MacLaine's character at the diner.

by Anonymousreply 458September 3, 2022 5:28 PM

They met but she may not have remembered her name..

by Anonymousreply 459September 3, 2022 7:54 PM

The more I think about it, the more pissed I am about Oscar. He was an important character to Mabel’s story and (his dad too) the Arconia.

by Anonymousreply 460September 6, 2022 1:53 PM

R460 Right? Mabel had waited 10 years for Oscar to be released from prison. And he had been thinking about her the entire time as well. They had chemistry during their Hardy Boys days. It just seems like they were destined to be together. Then they get together. Nothing dramatic happens between them. And then he just...disappears. They explain it away with Mabel saying "Yeah, we just decided we were better as friends" or something. For me, it wasn't a big deal, but I do wonder if the actor was no longer available or what? If he got another gig, they would have no choice but to write the character out.

Maybe they just wanted him out of the way so they could make room for new story lines in season two.

I don't overthink this show because I like it a lot and I am willing to go along for the ride.

by Anonymousreply 461November 4, 2023 5:50 PM

Season 3 is a bit boring so far.

by Anonymousreply 462November 4, 2023 6:05 PM

Aww come on. It's charming as fuck. I love Oliver's stage in his apartment. And I love how crazy his Broadway show concept is. It's very funny. You will see how it all comes together. You just have to be patient. Part of the charm of this show is that it isn't super fast-paced. It's relaxing and it allows for the story and the clues to unfold in a leisurely fashion. This way you get to really absorb the information and participate as an observer without breaking your brain or having to keep a pen and paper handy to take notes. There are plenty of surprises to come in the next six episodes.

Admittedly, Season One was so good, so well-paced, so clever and creative, that you'd never be able to top it. But if you don't expect them to top it, and you just go along for the ride, each season has it's own charm. And you get to continue to get to know the three main characters and spend time with them in their amazing pre-war apartments and deepen your relationship to their wallpapers.

by Anonymousreply 463November 4, 2023 6:13 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!