Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #433. Beanie’s Beanie’s and nothing but BEANIE’S

Let the Beanie bitching continue......

by Anonymousreply 602August 26, 2021 11:31 PM

Shit Op. Utter shit.

Should have been something like 'Alice Ripley to star in 'Oleanna - The Musical.'

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2021 12:59 AM

Read it and weep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2021 1:10 AM

Wow, OP, what an amazing thread title. So glad you pulled the trigger. We could NOT have lived another moment without your wit, especially about a topic that everyone else stopped discussing days ago. Can we appoint you full time thread starter? Is there a vote happening?

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2021 1:15 AM

Not a single one of those apostrophes is correct. Not a one.

Writing - anything - is not for you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2021 1:16 AM

The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals' is a musical horror-comedy by StarKid Productions. It was funded through Kickstarter and had its premiere run in Los Angeles, CA in October, 2018. It features a book by Nick & Matt Lang, and music & lyrics by Jeff Blim.

Some fun facts for you guys:

-Starkid is an independent theater company founded by a group of friends at the University of Michigan in 2009. -Alongside this musical they have eleven others that are all on YouTube. -The Guy Who Didn’t Like Musicals has a sort of squeal called Black Friday (they also did a short story style thing called Nightmare time which also takes place in the hatchetfield universe). -A third musical set in the Hatchetfield universe called Nerdy Prudes Must Die is hopefully going to come out sometime in 2022. -The music and lyrics where written by Jeff Blim (who is the guy who plays Sam/Mr. Davidson) and the story was written by Nick and Matt Lang. -Robert Manion who plays Hidgens is Australian. -Lauren Lopez and Joey Richter who play Emma and Ted are engaged in real life. -Mariah Rose Faith who plays Alice/Zoey played Regina George in the national tour of Mean Girls the Musical. -Starkid has a sister company called The Tin Can Bros who have a fantastic musical called Spies are Forever which is also on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2021 1:27 AM

None of those facts were "fun," R5. You lied.

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2021 1:30 AM

Last thread...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2021 1:49 AM

Let's get started with some Miss Stritch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2021 2:17 AM

I just put this in the last thread, but this dress deserves double mention...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2021 2:19 AM

R8 Did she play Van Helsing?

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2021 2:22 AM

That's interesting ornamentation around Stritchie's nipples, R9.

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2021 2:22 AM

I give young Elaine points for her glamour and goofy sex appeal in the absence of actual looks. She really wasn't very pretty by conventional standards, but she turned herself into someone memorable looking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2021 2:29 AM

Did anyone consider Bonnie Milligan from "Head Over Heels" for Fanny Brice? I don't know how she'd handle the comedy, but she sure had a much more thrilling voice then Beanie Baby.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2021 2:44 AM

They've been going absolutely nuts on ATC the last week or so on both Alice Ripley and Laura Noses. People are name-calling (by their handles), being really nude (you'd think it was DL!) and some even told Ann over there to delete the threads, something she refuses to do; she doesn't see them as personal attacks. Even BroadwayWorld, with its younger posters generally, deleted the Ripley conversations. I notice that some of the nicer posters over at ATC have steered clear of these threads. Who needs extra stress in their lives to even read more than a sampling of them, at most?

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2021 2:49 AM

Belting Bonnie Milligan deserves a show built around her, not a retread.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2021 2:50 AM

"Funny Girl" with the right person and great reviews could mint a new star though.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2021 2:52 AM

Bonnie Milligan is a big girl with bigger talent and a bigger voice than the Beanie Baby.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2021 2:53 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2021 2:56 AM

Good lord, Bonnie is even bigger than Beanie.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2021 2:57 AM

[quote]being really nude

Wow things *have* gotten spicy over at ATC.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2021 3:03 AM

People threatening each other at ATC, being called "disgusting", telling them to apologize to Ann, insulting each other and Ann, and without her late co-owner Mike over there to help moderate, she doesn't know when to say enough. It's a real circus over there.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2021 3:11 AM

oops, "rude" not "nude" -- I might hang out there more often if, but still don't want to even imagine Mockingbirdgirl nekid. What a disagreeable... beyonce she is as a poster.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2021 3:15 AM

Ann deserves every bit of pain and suffering her evil minions can dish up over there. She is horrible.

by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2021 3:45 AM

R12 For someone so conscious of the camera, why did Stritch's face and complexion look so much better in later years than she looked in that documentary?

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2021 3:51 AM

Looking at Poor Little Person, Priscilla Lopez is in yellow with long hair. The girl in the red checked coat is Chris Bocchino who would replace Priscilla in ACL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2021 3:52 AM

Will the overenthusiastic reviews of Pass Over by Jesse Green and others get anyone to buy tickets to this disaster?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2021 3:54 AM

No. I don’t believe there is any appetite for Pass Over, despite the good notices. Further cementing the truth that there is a HUGE disconnect between the critics and the box office.

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2021 3:57 AM

So what do we think will next go into the August Wilson, assuming Broadway's still running in the winter-spring?

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2021 4:03 AM

Ultra-liberals are terrible businesspersons! They care more about promoting a leftist agenda than creating successful art. They also don't seem to get that theatergoers are overwhelmingly white and many won't want to sit through angry black play after angry black play, especially to be lectured and made to feel guilty. I honestly thought that post-pandemic, Broadway would return to cheerful escapism to lure audiences back, but they seem to have gone heavy with the angry black plays. This will NOT bring Broadway back.

by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2021 4:27 AM

R27 I don't trust theater/film critics anymore. They seem to give anything with a woke agenda a rave regardless of quality. Anything that veers from the status quo gets poor to bad reviews.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2021 4:28 AM

Bway will close again by late October.

Delta don’t play

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2021 5:25 AM

Ben Platt has a film out now, Broken Diamonds.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2021 5:28 AM

Never even heard of it.

As it should be.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2021 6:03 AM

Streisand owns Funny Girl. She peed all over those songs and they're so uniquely tied to the Streisand Creation Story that it can't be broken.

And, Merman did the same thing to a certain degree. Other actresses have played Annie Oakley and Mama Rose but it's Merman's voice I hear when any one mentions "There's No Business..." or "Everything's Coming Up Roses".

I think the difference is, "Annie Get Your Gun" and "Gypsy" are both strong shows with fully formed characters. As has already been mentioned on these threads, Funny Girl wasn't supposed to be a vehicle for Barbra but in order to save the show, they tailored the production to her strengths with the result it really is a show totally tied to the actress who created the role.

That said, I think the only actresses who can succeed playing Fanny are people who are unique talents themselves. Midler could have played it, when younger, but why would she have taken "Streisand leftovers"?

Beanie Feldmanstein just isn't unique enough to carry this show.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2021 6:39 AM

R34 I agree with a lot of what you say, but I think you left out one crucial point. Streisand made the movie. That’s true of two other iconic roles “owned” by actors: Rex Harrison for My Fair Lady and Robert Preston for The Music Man.

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2021 8:38 AM

Streisand had a truly magnificent voice. Probably unique. Beanie does not own a similar set of pipes.

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2021 8:55 AM

For the person in the previous thread who asked about the Titanic the Musical ad in Times Sq. It's on West 45th Street between 8th and 9th. Uptown side of the street. I think it's in a parking lot.

[quote]They've been going absolutely nuts on ATC the last week or so on both Alice Ripley and Laura Noses. People are name-calling (by their handles), being really nude (you'd think it was DL!) and some even told Ann over there to delete the threads, something she refuses to do; she doesn't see them as personal attacks. Even BroadwayWorld, with its younger posters generally, deleted the Ripley conversations.

ATC deleted two previous threads on Ripley before finally allowing the current one, r14. KingSpeed (who I think may have been C-list actor here?) had a bit of a meltdown then disappeared.

The whole thing is very weird.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2021 9:08 AM

I would add Yul Brunner in "The King and I" as another actor who *owns " his role and who also starred in the movie version, R35.

by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2021 9:38 AM

R38, very true. And a more recent example is Ellen Greene in Little Shop of Horrors.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2021 9:55 AM

And we all remember how great Betty Hutton was on Broadway when she created the role of Annie Oakley.

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2021 11:18 AM

She's not a household name, which is what Funny Girl really needs, but Jessie Mueller would have been a good Fanny.

And Lea Michelle saying this Funny Girl is going to be "epic" was a masterwork of shade.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2021 11:21 AM

Jessie Mueller is not Streisand either. And she wouldn't sell tickets.

by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2021 11:27 AM

Pause from Beanie a moment because someone mentioned Creel. Can anyone explain that career to me? Seems nice enough, good enough, tall enough, voice is good enough, but is there any personality or sound there at all? I know a couple of youngsters who say they [italic]love[/italic] Gavin, but I truly truly don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2021 11:56 AM

Well... it could be because of this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2021 12:11 PM

I think Patti LuPone owns Evita. No other actress has been able to create her electricity, although others have danced it better and sung it to where you could understand the lyrics. As we saw on the Grammys a few years ago, it was Patti they asked to come and sing from the Evita score.

These days we don’t talk much about signature songs, but I think those helped to cement legend status in a performer. In the 1960s and 70s, the song “People” was all over the place. We even sang it in our Junior High School Choral Concert. I think that was an element in cementing Barbra’s legend status. Every time someone heard the song, they would think of Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2021 12:26 PM

R45 in the world at large, Madonna is more associated with EVITA, sad to say.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2021 12:39 PM

Gavin's voice is a lot better than "good enough". Jessie Mueller is the definition of "good enough".

by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2021 12:45 PM

[quote]I think Patti LuPone owns Evita.

I beg to differ.

by Anonymousreply 48August 23, 2021 1:07 PM

Fuck all of you wannabes.

by Anonymousreply 49August 23, 2021 1:09 PM

Soy más original que cualquiera de ustedes. La canto en el español original.

by Anonymousreply 50August 23, 2021 1:11 PM

Thanks so much to whoever posted the link to the Menier MERRILY on the last thread. I stayed up way past my bed time to watch it all.

So many thoughts! Did this production have a re-worked script? I don't know the show all that well (only saw the 2000 Kennedy Ctr and recent Roundabout abomination) but I don't remember so many long extended book scenes or Gussie being such a major character, present throughout the entire show. Jenna Russell really allowed herself to look appropriately dumpy as Mary, a truly raw characterization. I kept thinking by the end (in her youth) she's strip off the body padding but it never happened. The fellow playing Charley Damian Humbley seemed a bit hampered by his wig, wish he'd been a bit more physically unleashed. I loved Mark Umbers as Franklin, what a character arc he accomplished. What else has he done in LOndon? Is he well-known there for musical comedy or more for drama? Handsome guy, wouldn't have guessed he's gay. The Beth was awful....and that Texas (or Southern?) accent that came and went!

This production used a lot of middle aged actors and it was clear to me why the original Broadway production could not succeed with 20-somethings. It's really only the final scene that requires that kind of naivete and innocence and the Menier actors acted it very believably.

by Anonymousreply 51August 23, 2021 2:13 PM

Creel’s career is a mystery to me. He’s the male Sutton Foster, but down a rung.

by Anonymousreply 52August 23, 2021 2:14 PM

How come the British can make American musicals work that Americans can’t make work? Follies and Merrily being two examples?

by Anonymousreply 53August 23, 2021 2:18 PM

FOLLIES worked just beautifully when it was first produced on Broadway in 1971. It worked well enough to make it theatrical legend.

MERRILY has been reworked, reimagined, rewritten, restaged, and generally sent through the wringer time and again. There is no consensus that it works yet.

by Anonymousreply 54August 23, 2021 2:24 PM

I don't think either of the British productions of FOLLIES or MERRILY WE ROLL ALONE can be described as improvements.

by Anonymousreply 55August 23, 2021 2:27 PM

[quote] I don't think either of the British productions of FOLLIES or MERRILY WE ROLL ALONE can be described as improvements.

You didn’t see Blythe Danner in Follies. Even in her ugly dress, Janie Dee was a million times better.

by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2021 2:42 PM

I've seen two productions of 'Merrily,' and after both I couldn't help but wonder what the show would be like if it were just done in order instead of reverse. It's not a favorite of mine by any stretch, but I know some people who adore it. When it comes to Sondheim shows about looking back, I prefer 'Follies.'

by Anonymousreply 57August 23, 2021 2:48 PM

Jesus, r56, you know what happens when you mention..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58August 23, 2021 2:48 PM

[quote]in the world at large, Madonna is more associated with EVITA, sad to say.

Not really accurate. Between US and Canadian box office, the movie didn't even break even , and then only made a slim profit internationally. By no means a popular hit, and definitely not a critical one.

As high-profile movie musicals go, it's mostly forgotten. It doesn't seem to have ever found an enthusiastic audience, even in the world of DVDs, streaming, etc. And I'm not a Madge hater: I think she has some decent moments in a pretty mediocre film.

by Anonymousreply 59August 23, 2021 2:58 PM

It took the Brits to reimagine Cabaret. Had they not, Broadway would have wheeled out Joel Grey and the big question would be if they hired a Sally like Liza or a Sally like Jill Haworth. But no matter which direction they went, it would have been a tired production because all directors working on Broadway today have zero imagination.

by Anonymousreply 60August 23, 2021 3:01 PM

R59 younger people who have discovered Madonna have also discovered her in scenes from EVITA. They are enthralled by her from a 21st century POV.

by Anonymousreply 61August 23, 2021 3:06 PM

Wow—that Blythe Danner clip is … atrocious ! She always seems excessively detached from what she’s doing but this!! It looks as if Phyllis Stone were an actual person who has been cast in a musical based on her own life. But she has no talent: can’t sing, has no sense of rhythm, can’t dance and hasn’t even any idea how to fake it! That production seems to have been a nightmare all round. But I bet Gregory Harrison was good or at least hot. Too bad his musical theatre ambitions never really worked out. He is a talented hot guy!

by Anonymousreply 62August 23, 2021 3:29 PM

Since this is supposed to be about gossip - does anyone have the details on what caused the split between Isaac Cole Powell and Wesley Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 63August 23, 2021 3:40 PM

Since this is supposed to be about gossip - why don't you tell us what you suspect r63?

by Anonymousreply 64August 23, 2021 3:46 PM

R63-How about, Isaac is talented and has a career, and Wes TAYTAY isn't and doesn't.

Also, Wes is a whore.

by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2021 3:54 PM

"Since this is supposed to be about gossip - does anyone have the details on what caused the split between Isaac Cole Powell and Wesley Taylor?"

Isaac was fresh out of college when Wesley, someone he admired from the same program, snatched him up. He was new, inexperienced in the temptations of Broadway, and easily manipulated. He needed to explore. We all go through it.

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2021 3:54 PM

Why is she Beanie Feldstein rather than Beanie Hill, like brother Jonah Hill? Is that so folks don't call her a hill of beans?

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2021 4:16 PM

Because she looks so much like Benny Hill she's afraid people would get mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2021 4:18 PM

Or Benny Hill r67.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2021 4:19 PM

Cue the Benny Hill music!

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2021 4:26 PM

And... go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2021 4:29 PM

Maybe Beanie could host Jeopardy instead.

by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2021 4:41 PM

I hated the addition of Franklin Shepard’s young son in Maria Friedman’s production.

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2021 4:52 PM

I agree, he did seem unnecessary with no pay-off that I could discern, r73.

I loved the production but (predictably) they really fucked up "Jackie and Bobby and Jack" (or whatever it's called). Clearly, Maria Friedman and the actors had no understanding of who they were singing about.

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2021 5:45 PM

where is the news about Wes and Isaac breakup?

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2021 6:13 PM

They deleted the photos of each other from their IGs and Wes posted a story with "a new chapter begins" or something similar

by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2021 6:20 PM

In the current political climate, it’s going to be a long time before we see a bad review of a black play.

by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2021 6:21 PM

R77 which means Broadway will go kaput?

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2021 6:25 PM

The most important review will be how many butts in the seats these shows get. Not too many will want to put up with white guilt shaming in countless plays.

by Anonymousreply 79August 23, 2021 6:27 PM

R79 Which we won't know given they aren't releasing grosses.

by Anonymousreply 80August 23, 2021 6:32 PM

Lol where is the news! It’s on NPR, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 81August 23, 2021 6:45 PM

The Color Purple

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82August 23, 2021 6:51 PM

Brokeback The Opera.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2021 6:54 PM

Megan Hilty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84August 23, 2021 6:56 PM

Did other Taylor Trensch and BLR also break up? Same premise on their Instas …

by Anonymousreply 85August 23, 2021 7:12 PM

I disagree about Jessie Mueller and Funny Girl. I think she's on par with Beanie Feldstein in terms of fanship, it's just a different demographic, and in Mueller's favor, it's a demo that actually buys tickets. Beautiful was a huge hit, and largely on the back of Mueller, who was the ONLY reason to see that terrible show. That thing would have closed in three months if not for her making it seem better than it was. By the time she left, its reputation was minted (much like Funny Girl after Streisand left) and people thought they were going to see a show that was much better than its leading lady.

Mueller also gained a lot of fans from Waitress, and in a different demographic. Again, she took a mediocre show and made it seem better with her performance. People know Jessie and she's got a great reputation. She can sing and she can act.

I'm not saying Mueller has a huge fan base that will see *anything* she does. Carousel proved that. I'm a fan of hers and even I wouldn't touch Carousel with a 10 foot pole. However, whatever fan base Beanie has, they don't buy tickets. And she already has bad buzz months before the show even starts rehearsals, which means the producers are going to have to work overtime with all sorts of Beanie press, trying to stem the flow of bad WOM.

No, Jessie isn't a star, per se, but the idea of her singing that score would have sold more tickets than Feldstein, and certainly would have garnered more anticipation.

by Anonymousreply 86August 23, 2021 7:23 PM

Jessie is doing The Minutes. Not available.

by Anonymousreply 87August 23, 2021 7:34 PM

she'll be available in a minute

by Anonymousreply 88August 23, 2021 7:36 PM

Mike Richards might be available for the Eve Harrington role in the next revival of "Applause" though.

by Anonymousreply 89August 23, 2021 7:37 PM

Curious to see if Waitress sells tix and if they’re fan base is eager to return.

by Anonymousreply 90August 23, 2021 7:37 PM

R74, The evening I saw it in Boston, Maria was standing on the sidewalk outside the theatre greeting audience members as they arrived.

by Anonymousreply 91August 23, 2021 7:41 PM

Please, if Jessie would have been offered Funny Girl, she would have left The Minutes in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 92August 23, 2021 7:52 PM

didn't hack Michael Mayer sort of 'discover' Jessie in that Clear Day monstrosity?

by Anonymousreply 93August 23, 2021 7:55 PM

"Did other Taylor Trensch and BLR also break up? Same premise on their Instas …"

After this number which really showed they were in love and not faked? And BLR has BDF.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 23, 2021 8:08 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1928, "The Lido Girl" opened at the Edyth Totten Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 95August 23, 2021 8:13 PM

[quote]THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1928, "The Lido Girl" opened at the Edyth Totten Theatre.

I was disappointed by it.

by Anonymousreply 96August 23, 2021 8:16 PM

R85 Intriguing, though they only ever seemed to use their social media to repost 'queer' people begging for/demanding money

by Anonymousreply 97August 23, 2021 8:30 PM

Who is BLR?

by Anonymousreply 98August 23, 2021 8:31 PM

Blanche Lyce Rabies

by Anonymousreply 99August 23, 2021 8:32 PM

Ben Levi Ross

by Anonymousreply 100August 23, 2021 8:32 PM

Trensch must have a huge cock, because he has no body to speak of and he's ugly as sin. Yet he ALWAYS has some cute little boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 101August 23, 2021 8:35 PM

I just got an email for $49 tix for Chicken n Biscuits at Circle in the Square. This is what passes for a Broadway play these days? It looks like something you'd find on the Chitlin Circuit 25 years ago, one of those plays like "God Don't Like Ugly," or "Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got," that would come into town for a week at some convention center.

by Anonymousreply 102August 23, 2021 9:05 PM

"THE LIDO GIRL" TAME.; One of the Merits of New Play at Totten Is That It Is Short.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103August 23, 2021 9:27 PM

Someone needs to step in next time. This is just the worst title ever. This OP’s creative juices are completely dried up.

by Anonymousreply 104August 23, 2021 9:49 PM

Who is BLR?

by Anonymousreply 105August 23, 2021 9:52 PM

[quote] They are enthralled by her from a 21st century POV.

You mean the point of view that mediocre or worse is acceptable as long as a few woke boxes are checked?

by Anonymousreply 106August 23, 2021 9:55 PM

Read the fucking thread, R105, that question was already asked and answered.

by Anonymousreply 107August 23, 2021 10:00 PM

BLR.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 23, 2021 10:01 PM

r86 =Jessie’s mom.

by Anonymousreply 109August 23, 2021 10:20 PM

I do not believe that Jessie Mueller would be okay with coming to Broadway repeatedly in failed revivals of Barbra Streisand's old movies. One is plenty.

by Anonymousreply 110August 23, 2021 11:25 PM

Jessie Mueller is competent. But she lacks the glamour and authority of a real Broadway star.

It's not about being pretty. Barbra projected glamour and star appeal even when she was a homely little thing right out of Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 111August 23, 2021 11:28 PM

Disagree about authority. Jessie holds the stage and helps elevate most of the material she's been given. Even the not very good On a Clear Day only came to life when she was on. She saved Beautiful, and she acted and sang Waitress wonderfully.

I'm not saying she's the perfect choice, or even the first choice, but the producers would have had something with her over Beanie, who has nothing to offer.

by Anonymousreply 112August 23, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote]I just got an email for $49 tix for Chicken n Biscuits at Circle in the Square. This is what passes for a Broadway play these days? It looks like something you'd find on the Chitlin Circuit 25 years ago, one of those plays like "God Don't Like Ugly," or "Ain't No Woman Like the One I Got," that would come into town for a week at some convention center.

Oh, fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 113August 23, 2021 11:36 PM

I respectfully suggest we change this chick's name to "Bini." Saving two key strokes every time someone bitches about her between now and when this show implodes is no small consideration.

by Anonymousreply 114August 23, 2021 11:37 PM

Clear Day...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 23, 2021 11:40 PM

Mueller does sound great in that clip. But the costumes and set are the ugliest, least flattering things I've seen in recent memory.

by Anonymousreply 116August 23, 2021 11:45 PM

Another clip of Mueller in Clear Day

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117August 23, 2021 11:48 PM

Mayer's production of On a Clear Day was not good (and it was especially hampered by a woefully miscast and bored Harry Connick Jr) but I liked that he took the chances he did. I thought Mayer's concept was fascinating and thought provoking. Unfortunately, it didn't work in the production he structured it around.

I would rather watch an interesting failure than a lifeless cruise ship version of a musical usually presented by the likes of Kathleen Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 118August 23, 2021 11:51 PM

Interesting to note that the original ON A CLEAR DAY only ran for 7 months--280 performances--back in 1965/66. I'd assumed because it was a bigger success, what with such high-caliber talent (Barbara Harris) and the movie adaptation.

It was not.

by Anonymousreply 119August 23, 2021 11:55 PM

The male Daisy was kind of lackluster, too.

by Anonymousreply 120August 23, 2021 11:56 PM

I wonder if ON A CLEAR DAY might have lasted longer with original lead Louis Jourdan, who was fired out of town, and replaced by little known at the time John Cullum. Jourdan had a contract where he still got paid, but apparently composer Burton Lane really wanted his music, and especially the beautiful title song, sung well. Also apparently Jourdan wasn't getting laughs, but he thought he was -- it was actually Barbara Harris getting them. Point is that Jourdan was the top-billed star at the time, and Harris had gotten a supporting Tony nomination for "From the Second City" prior to that, but was otherwise not that well-known. She was shifted to top-left star billing and unknown John Cullum to top right, but to the general public, they weren't yet proven to even carry the show yet. That changed after opening.

by Anonymousreply 121August 24, 2021 12:01 AM

R58. Good god! I generally like Danner (so much more than her untalented spawn), and I’ve always assumed people were exaggerating about the Follies debacle, but it’s truly awful—not even FUN awful.

by Anonymousreply 122August 24, 2021 12:01 AM

There was a CLEAR DAY revival at Irish Rep some years back with Melissa Errico and Stephen Bogardus. Really uneven but largely entertaining. I think they stuck pretty faithfully to the original script. ON A CLEAR DAY is one of the nuttier musicals ever, even for the sixties.

by Anonymousreply 123August 24, 2021 12:07 AM

And no, R122. There was nothing fun about that FOLLIES revival. I saw it as well. It was depressingly bad. Not a single really good performance in it (though some people really liked Polly Bergen).

by Anonymousreply 124August 24, 2021 12:09 AM

Polly Bergen was grotesque. But I don't blame her because I saw how the rest of it was directed. The director sent Bergen down a few rabbit holes that made impossible for her to be successful.

Gregory Harrison was hot. The two young couples were awfully good. Those roles often get lost in the shuffle, but they were quite good. I liked Judith Ivey, though I know many did not. They were all badly directed and I hate to blame them for that.

Loveland was entirely rendered in Pepto-Bismol Pink. And it was simply awful.

Say what you will about Blythe Danner. Her work was infinitely better than that of Matthew Warchus.

by Anonymousreply 125August 24, 2021 12:15 AM

This article by Robin Pogrebin gives you insight into what everyone was up against in that production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126August 24, 2021 12:16 AM

[quote] I’ve always assumed people were exaggerating about the Follies debacle,

Judith Ivey chose the Bette Davis does Jane Hudson interpretation of Sally. I guess they were so busy with La Blythe that they didn’t have time to direct Judith, or sew her a costume or build her a set. They just handed her the script and said, “See you on opening night.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127August 24, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote] Polly Bergen was grotesque.

The problem was Bergen was too dyke-y for the role. Carlotta is a sexpot. She brags that she’s sleeping with a younger man and may have a different one next year. No man wants Butch Bergen.

by Anonymousreply 128August 24, 2021 12:24 AM

Encores did “On A Clear Day” with DL fave Kristin Chenoweth. Peter Friedman was the doctor.

Fun fact about On A Clear Day, it’s one of the few musicals that is not based on a previous source.

by Anonymousreply 129August 24, 2021 12:28 AM

Carlotta is the ONLY person at the party who is still working it in show business. The only one. She should look like it. She should be the one thing that is not like the others on the stage.

Polly Bergen's Carlotta showed up looking like anyone or anything other than a working celebrity who has done it all. She looked like an alcoholic at a wake. She sang "I'm Still Here" like an alcoholic at a wake.

Had Warchus had a clue about this character and her importance to the structure of the play, he night have guided the very talented Polly Bergen to a character that meant something to the play. I don't blame her for it.

by Anonymousreply 130August 24, 2021 12:33 AM

If Jourdan had been kept Clear Day would have had a longer run. With his good looks and charisma and Harris's delightful performance it would have been an exciting event despite the uneven book. It had enough really good songs. And it would have sold big time to all those middle aged theater party ladies. Putting Cullum in was a big mistake and I wonder why the producer didn't fight Lane on this. He has very little charisma next to Harris. Jourdan would have even been better than Montand in the movie. Sinatra would have been best of all. I know their egos wouldn't have allowed it but Streisand and Sinatra singing in the same movie at that time would have been dream casting. Lane and Lerner could have added a couple of duets and they don't end up together so the age differential wouldn't have been such a big deal. But they probably hated each other.

by Anonymousreply 131August 24, 2021 12:41 AM

[quote] I know their egos wouldn't have allowed it but Streisand and Sinatra singing in the same movie at that time would have been dream casting.

Streisand and Sinatra were both Friends of Judy. If anyone could have brought them together, it would have been Miss Garland.

by Anonymousreply 132August 24, 2021 12:50 AM

Clear Day....there's also a full soundboard recording on Youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133August 24, 2021 12:52 AM

I saw the original ON A CLEAR DAY and it didn't matter who else was onstage with Barbara Harris. She was absolutely phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 134August 24, 2021 12:56 AM

I disagree about Beanie's fanbase.

She is HUGE (no pun intended) with the very same teen girls who've made WICKED a hit forever. Those girls do buy tickets, see the same show multiple times and love seeing an underdog singing her heart out in the lead. And they pay no attention to reviews. Or Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 135August 24, 2021 12:58 AM

Her fan base couldn't help Booksmart or How to Build a Girl. And those only cost $10 to get into.

by Anonymousreply 136August 24, 2021 1:02 AM

Booksmart was such shit. Beanie and other the lesbian girl were charming but the movie itself was painfully unfunny.

by Anonymousreply 137August 24, 2021 1:06 AM

I thought BOOKSMART was much ado about very little. Not terrible, but basically a teen coming-of-age/pop-the-cherry movie with girls instead of boys. Some critics treated it some visionary feminist treatise, though.

Beanie was good in it. Not great.

by Anonymousreply 138August 24, 2021 1:09 AM

Beanie's voice reminds me of a Disney princess, high and sweet voice which is probably why younger women like her.

by Anonymousreply 139August 24, 2021 1:48 AM

[quote]Streisand owns Funny Girl. She peed all over those songs and they're so uniquely tied to the Streisand Creation Story that it can't be broken.

Only for those old enough to remember Streisand from her best years. Younger audiences don't give a shit about Streisand, if you find the right person it could be a success. Hell I'm an elder gay and enough time has gone by that I could enjoy a new brilliant talent in that role. I'm just don't have the love for Streisand I used to and I'm ready to fall in love with someone new.

by Anonymousreply 140August 24, 2021 1:53 AM

I'm not sure how Sinatra felt about Streisand, but she's one of the only few people I recall on talk shows when asked about who her favorite male pop singers were, didn't automatically do the standard response ("and of course, Frank Sinatra"), but said she really liked Johnny Mathis -- I forget who else. People generally (and male singers especially) were afraid of Sinatra and his connections to not bow down to him in public (like on Carson or other talk shows).

Actually it was great seeing Joan Roberts, who still sounded almost exactly as she did on the OCR of "Oklahoma!" in very good voice indeed! I recall that Betty Garrett was fun, too. Bergen was pushing her voice throughout the whole song -- really very overpraised performance.

by Anonymousreply 141August 24, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote]Actually it was great seeing Joan Roberts, who still sounded almost exactly as she did on the OCR of "Oklahoma!"

EXACTLY. Heidi Schiller looked and sounded like she came from Oklahoma. Which is not good.

by Anonymousreply 142August 24, 2021 2:18 AM

Being able to say I saw the original Laurey was the high point for me, r141. I was a bit disappointed by Garrett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143August 24, 2021 2:21 AM

In no rational world, Beanie is not HUGE. How did her publicist get on Datalounge? Or is that you Ben, trolling for more comments on your movie hair (which according to rumor Daddy is having digitally altered...)

by Anonymousreply 144August 24, 2021 2:21 AM

Betty's still here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145August 24, 2021 2:25 AM

I was working with the great Broadway wig designer Paul Huntley when that Roundabout Follies was in previews and Paul would groan every few days when they would send back Judith Ivey's wig, requesting a new one in a different color. He said the same thing happened before they fired Carolyn Mignini form the Guys and Dolls revival.

They always blame the wig.

by Anonymousreply 146August 24, 2021 2:27 AM

I have to admit, I like Judith Ivey's take (acting more than singing, of course) on "Losing My Mind." Admittedly, it has to be seen to fully register.

by Anonymousreply 147August 24, 2021 2:45 AM

Good lord, I used "admit" twice as a qualifier. "I'm R147 and I'm a Judith Ivey in Follies fan!"

by Anonymousreply 148August 24, 2021 2:46 AM

It was such a tepid Follies.

by Anonymousreply 149August 24, 2021 2:51 AM

So um not to be accused of being a Republican but what exactly happens when the Broadway community keeps talking up diversity and putting up BIPOC offerings and no one buys tickets?

Pass Over is not selling and it's the only game in town right now. It's not just delta concerns keeping people away, concerts are full... is that Broadway audiences aren't interested in BIPOC shows?

by Anonymousreply 150August 24, 2021 2:54 AM

Yup. And it's going to take a season of flops for that to become apparent.

by Anonymousreply 151August 24, 2021 3:00 AM

But Jourdan in a musical had marquee value at that point. Cullum had none. Harris I have no doubt wiped him off the stage. A popular charismatic male lead might have helped the success of the show just to bring in ticket buyers.

by Anonymousreply 152August 24, 2021 3:32 AM

Go to sleep...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153August 24, 2021 3:41 AM

Revivals succeed on Broadway usually because it's a terrific new production helmed by a director able to breath some life into old material with a fresh young cast OR because there's a huge star attached that people want to go see.

The revival of Pippin from a few seasons back would be an example of the first type and the Bette Midler starring Hello, Dolly would be an example of the second.

A bland production with a middle of the road director and starring a badly cast minor new personality doesn't really bode well for success.

What kind of bullshit did they feed the investors for this one?

by Anonymousreply 154August 24, 2021 7:10 AM

No one is butcher than Karen Morrow, and she was a decent Carlotta.

by Anonymousreply 155August 24, 2021 10:43 AM

I thought Polly was the best part of that Follies. And Yvonne DeCarlo was a sexpot in those days? I missed that.

Best "I'm Still Here" belongs to Nancy Walker, but she's never be mistaken for a former sloe-eyed vamp.

by Anonymousreply 156August 24, 2021 11:41 AM

But she sure could sell the fuck out of that song R156.

Never done better.

by Anonymousreply 157August 24, 2021 11:44 AM

Yes! If she wouldn't have been a convincing Carlotta onstage, I would have loved to have seen her in one of these productions as Stella.

by Anonymousreply 158August 24, 2021 11:49 AM

[italic]Hélas, d'une manière ou d'une autre, nous discutons une fois de plus Le Follies.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 159August 24, 2021 11:58 AM

No "alas" about it r159, we should ALWAYS be discussing Follies.

by Anonymousreply 160August 24, 2021 12:17 PM

Wow I'd never heard this before!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 24, 2021 12:19 PM

When I saw Follies I only knew DeCarlo from the Munsters. I thought she had name value only because of that TV show.

by Anonymousreply 162August 24, 2021 12:26 PM

No comments about the NYT story today about the diversity changes on Broadway. I’m wondering about the pledge to ban all white creative times, Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 163August 24, 2021 12:43 PM

…teams. Also diversity seems to mean black. What about an all white group but a Pakistani is included. Is that ok?

by Anonymousreply 164August 24, 2021 12:44 PM

The irony is that, historically, the theater has looooooooong been welcoming of diversity. Except for a hair salon, there was no other place a gay person could go and work and be accepted and thrive.

by Anonymousreply 165August 24, 2021 12:49 PM

Actually the best thing in that FOLLIES production was Carol Woods as Stella.

by Anonymousreply 166August 24, 2021 12:58 PM

No.

Actually the best aspect of the Roundabout production was Joey Sorge. But when Young Buddy is the best part of the show, there's a big problem. But Mr. Sorge was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 167August 24, 2021 1:12 PM

[quote]I honestly thought that post-pandemic, Broadway would return to cheerful escapism to lure audiences back, but they seem to have gone heavy with the angry black plays.

Well, there will continue to be lots of escapism also. The production of ALL these angry black plays at the start of the post-COVID return is merely to fill that quota and check off those boxes. All of those plays will fail at the box office, but the producers will be able to say they did them and move on to produce other shows that people will actually pay to see.

by Anonymousreply 168August 24, 2021 1:20 PM

R163 And Shubert, Nederlander and Jujamcyn have all pledged to name a theatre each after a black person (it's unclear if the August Wilson counts for Jujamcyn)

R164 Reminds me of what happened at English National Opera recently - they opened a scheme to recruit five non-white instrumentalists, to help diversify their players. Those five spots went to two Koreans, two Japanese and one Turkish player. Asians being hardly represented at all amongst professional orchestras!

Oh and as for that representation - they're basing the demands for representation not on national figures, but local New York City demographic figures.

by Anonymousreply 169August 24, 2021 1:27 PM

Sure. Name a Broadway theater for Ellen Stewart.

That makes sense.

Right?

by Anonymousreply 170August 24, 2021 1:29 PM

[quote]Pause from Beanie a moment because someone mentioned Creel. Can anyone explain that career to me? Seems nice enough, good enough, tall enough, voice is good enough, but is there any personality or sound there at all? I know a couple of youngsters who say they love Gavin, but I truly truly don't get it.

His voice is gorgeous, he can sing very well in different styles of music from HAIR to HELLO, DOLLY!, his acting is fine, and he's very charming and appealing on stage. Sorry you don't "get it," but you don't have to.

by Anonymousreply 171August 24, 2021 1:30 PM

[quote]For the person in the previous thread who asked about the Titanic the Musical ad in Times Sq. It's on West 45th Street between 8th and 9th. Uptown side of the street. I think it's in a parking lot.

I don't remember exactly where it is, but I'm almost certain you've got the wrong block. Maybe it's on that street between 7th and 8th aves?

by Anonymousreply 172August 24, 2021 1:33 PM

Creel’s got zero charisma and a face which is unrelentingly nondescript. That’s a big problem for a leading man. Which is why he’ll never be a successful one.

by Anonymousreply 173August 24, 2021 1:33 PM

Creel has voice to burn. His instrument is absolutely top-drawer.

But like Josh Groban, also possessed of a splendid instrument, Creel often doesn't sing well. With both of them, there is often NOTHING going on to make the singing special. Just the voice.

by Anonymousreply 174August 24, 2021 1:34 PM

Speaking of On A Clear Day, Burton Lane, Barbara and Barbra, I remember reading a quote from Burton Lane (can't remember where I saw it) which I think he made about the time that the On a Clear Day movie was being made or was about to come out. It was something along the lines of "I'm sure Barbra Streisand will do a nice job in the movie, but there is no way she will hold a candle to Barbara Harris." I wonder what Streisand thought of that! I wish Barbara Harris had made more movies. She was so good in the few that she made.

by Anonymousreply 175August 24, 2021 1:37 PM

John Cullum was the Gavin Creel of his day. Good singing voice but boring as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 176August 24, 2021 1:40 PM

R165 that's not the diversity metric that's getting the public's primary concern, or institutional priority, these days. Here's the NYT article. If it is followed to the letter with tangible actions, it really will be a sweeping change from what has gone before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177August 24, 2021 1:44 PM

Those changes you saw in the Maria Friedman's MERRILY -- all those additional scenes for Gussie, the addition of Frank's son as a character -- were not original to that production. Sondheim, Furth, and the idiot James Lapine did a lot of tinkering with the show after the first epic-flop production.

by Anonymousreply 178August 24, 2021 1:45 PM

[quote]Curious to see if Waitress sells tix and if they’re fan base is eager to return.

"Waitress" is returning with Sara Bareilles in the lead, and somebody I know who's involved in the ticket resale market (what used to be called "scalping") told me there was great demand for tix to that show whenever she was in it. Of course, by this point, maybe everybody who wanted to see her in the show has already done so.

by Anonymousreply 179August 24, 2021 1:56 PM

[quote]I don't remember exactly where [the Titanic ad] is, but I'm almost certain you've got the wrong block. Maybe it's on that street between 7th and 8th aves?

Possible, I suppose, r172. It is, for sure, between the 8th and 9th Aves, not far off of 8th. It is on the north side of the street quite some distance from the sidewalk. In a parking lot.

It could be on 44th instead of 45th, though.

by Anonymousreply 180August 24, 2021 1:59 PM

Or has died of Covid.

by Anonymousreply 181August 24, 2021 2:00 PM

[quote]Bergen was pushing her voice throughout the whole song -- really very overpraised performance.

For me, it was her heavy back phrasing on EVERY SINGLE LINE that totally destroyed the song. Too bad, because if not for that, I think she might have been a great Carlotta.

by Anonymousreply 182August 24, 2021 2:36 PM

R178, the addition of the son to the Chocolate Factory’s production was Maria Friedman’s idea according to an interview she gave when it was opening in the West End.

by Anonymousreply 183August 24, 2021 2:45 PM

I don't like when they add mylar scenic elements to Who's That Woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184August 24, 2021 2:49 PM

How about Richard Kiley for "On a Clear Day?" Would he have been a possibility?

by Anonymousreply 185August 24, 2021 2:57 PM

r62 I saw that production; Danner was the weakest link. The guys, Harrison and Trent Williams, were sweet eye candy, and Judith Ivey, while miscast, did her best with Sally, especially in Losing My Mind. I recently saw a clip online of her version, and it is quite moving.

by Anonymousreply 186August 24, 2021 3:02 PM

I believe he was doing La Mancha at the time, r185.

by Anonymousreply 187August 24, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote] I [italic]recently[/italic] saw a clip online of her version, and it is quite moving.

Like exactly 60 posts up, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 188August 24, 2021 3:17 PM

[quote] John Cullum was the Gavin Creel of his day. Good singing voice but boring as fuck.

r176 there's no way Creel could be powerful enough to lead [italic]Shenandoah[/italic] or nail "Molasses to Run" with conviction.

by Anonymousreply 189August 24, 2021 3:18 PM

R189, well, gee, that’s a kind of dumb reaction to my post.

by Anonymousreply 190August 24, 2021 3:22 PM

John Cullum doing a fine John Barrymore-inspired performance with great singing in "On the 20th Century" was sure not boring. He was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 191August 24, 2021 3:25 PM

I don't think so, r190. Do you think he was boring in those shows or On the 20th Century?

by Anonymousreply 192August 24, 2021 3:26 PM

You owe me a Coke, r191.

by Anonymousreply 193August 24, 2021 3:26 PM

John Cullum is/was an excellent actor who shines when he has good material. Whether or not he possesses innate charisma is a matter of opinion, but he sure was charismatic in SHENANDOAH, ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY, and the movie of 1776.

by Anonymousreply 194August 24, 2021 3:31 PM

Exactly, r194. There isn't much to Dr. Bruckner to delineate his character. Maybe Cullum should have used a French accent.

by Anonymousreply 195August 24, 2021 3:40 PM

We got Annie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196August 24, 2021 3:45 PM

R182 also don't forget Polly's modulation DOWNWARD (so she could blast the high notes at the end). In the score and most productions of the show it's a half-step modulation up.

by Anonymousreply 197August 24, 2021 3:45 PM

[quote] that’s a kind of dumb reaction to my post.

why r190 (And that's definitively a dumb reaction to my supposedly dumb reaction, since all you say is it's dumb)?

by Anonymousreply 198August 24, 2021 4:00 PM

[quote]R95 THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1928, "The Lido Girl" opened at the Edyth Totten Theatre.

Wasn’t it originally titled “The Dildo Girl”?

Amazing they thought they could get away with that!

by Anonymousreply 199August 24, 2021 4:01 PM

So Jeremy O Harris will get a theater named after him before Oscar Hammerstein does? Makes sense to me.

by Anonymousreply 200August 24, 2021 4:02 PM

No...no, it wasn't, r199.

by Anonymousreply 201August 24, 2021 4:03 PM

[quote] John Cullum was the Gavin Creel of his day. Good singing voice but boring as fuck.

Poor John Cullum. In one of the Shenandoah reviews, the critic said, “You kept hoping for Robert Goulet.” That sort of missed the point because Goulet was very refined and Cullum could be believed as a Virginia farmer.

But John Cullum has had a great career. He was hilarious on Patty Heaton’s show “The Middle” as the grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 202August 24, 2021 4:14 PM

Cullum was also great on "Northern Exposure". One of the inside jokes was that the DJ character used to play recordings of Broadway stuff sometimes, occasionally featuring Cullum's singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 203August 24, 2021 4:16 PM

I find the decor of that awful r153 bedroom (and all the cutesy matching clothes) jarring for some reason. And yes, I have stated my boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 204August 24, 2021 4:21 PM

What did she have?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205August 24, 2021 4:25 PM

[quote]Wasn’t it originally titled “The Dildo Girl”?

Yes -- it was written for Helen Lawson. When she dropped out, the name became inappropriate since her replacement didn't have Helen's "skills."

by Anonymousreply 206August 24, 2021 4:27 PM

Someone has to do a comparison of Streisand’s freakishly loooong fingernails in different movies. I just can’t get past them in ON A CLEAR DAY… they’re horrific and sinister.

by Anonymousreply 207August 24, 2021 4:33 PM

I'll never understand all the hate Judith Ivey got for her performance in Follies. She handled the singing much better than expected and had some good moments. She might have been a little miscast. She strikes me more of a Stella, Hattie, or maybe Carlotta.

by Anonymousreply 208August 24, 2021 4:44 PM

She doesn't have the voice for those three roles, r208. As far as the hate for that production, I don't think the highest levels were directed at her.

by Anonymousreply 209August 24, 2021 4:47 PM

Ivey screamed the high note of "Losing My Mind" at the performance I went to. And no, that wasn't a good choice dramatically, whoever tries to use that as a thesis to cover her lack of vocal technique.

by Anonymousreply 210August 24, 2021 4:53 PM

and cullum was a hoot in Urinetown during something completely different, confirming that r176/r190 is the dumb one

by Anonymousreply 211August 24, 2021 4:54 PM

Treat Williams might have been all right if they didn't stage his number throwing around chairs. Blythe was detached throughout the show, so you really didn't care about her. Harrison didn't really register as memorable in this show, though he was very good in "Steel Pier".

by Anonymousreply 212August 24, 2021 4:55 PM

R210 He's the bunny!

by Anonymousreply 213August 24, 2021 4:56 PM

oops, I mean R211 !

by Anonymousreply 214August 24, 2021 4:57 PM

In all fairness to Harrison, Ben is easily the worst role to be saddled with in the show. There's nothing to play.

Phyllis is probably the most fleshed out and that's usually a fool proof role, but Danner botched it somehow.

by Anonymousreply 215August 24, 2021 4:59 PM

Ben has some lovely music to sing. I don't recall Harrison as being bad, just not memorable -- the ones most people talk about were bad. A few like Joan Roberts and Betty Garrett were fun.

by Anonymousreply 216August 24, 2021 5:06 PM

Blythe Danner on stage is kind of like ordering mole sauce at a Mexican restaurant. You usually think you'll be getting something really great that turns out to be disappointing in execution. Beside "Follies", saw her in "Philadelphia Story" and "Betrayal", among other things. Maybe she was great back when in "Butterflies are Free", and I do like her on tv and in films generally (though miscast as all out in "Brighton Beach Memoirs").

by Anonymousreply 217August 24, 2021 5:10 PM

Betty Garrett seemed so frail, I didn't find it at all fun. The problem with Blythe was she played the whole thing drunk, which was a terrible choice. Joan Roberts was fine, but I heard she was hell backstage. They couldn't wait to get rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 218August 24, 2021 5:11 PM

So the NBC Annie is going to be all black except for Warbucks?

by Anonymousreply 219August 24, 2021 5:13 PM

John Cullum was also excellent in Urinetown and Scottsboro Boys. I'm not sure I understand all the John Cullum hate, he's had an amazing career!

by Anonymousreply 220August 24, 2021 5:17 PM

The risk of kowtow-ing to writers of diversity in some of these subscription companies like MTC, Playwrights, and Roundabout, who could never be bothered to hire minorities before, will have subscribers dropping them in droves, because they always catered to the older, white crowd. On Broadway, these shows will just quickly close. The companies that have been diverse for years, such as The Public, Atlantic, and Signature, will do just fine.

by Anonymousreply 221August 24, 2021 5:18 PM

Blame the decision to cast Gene Nelson, r212. It never made sense for non-performer Buddy to have that spectacular dance number pre-Loveland. But it was Gene Nelson and what were they going to do? It's just made the role tricky to cast. Rarely do they cast an actual dancer and you've got to fill the dance break music with....something.

by Anonymousreply 222August 24, 2021 5:21 PM

I never understood why Elaine Stritch in later life abandoned her signature song “Ladies Who Lunch” in favor of butchering “I’m Still Here.” And why Sondheim didn’t stop her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 24, 2021 5:48 PM

Doubt SS would stop anyone from singing one of his songs in a tribute concert.

And I think he has said that Walker's version is his favorite.

by Anonymousreply 224August 24, 2021 6:01 PM

I’m watching Gigi on TCM right now. It’s clear Louis can’t sing so not sure why anyone thought he could handle the Clear Day score.

by Anonymousreply 225August 24, 2021 6:06 PM

[quote] And I think he has said that Walker's version is his favorite.

Steve always did have eclectic taste!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226August 24, 2021 6:11 PM

I think we can all agree that Mary's version is definitively ________

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 24, 2021 6:18 PM

Gene Nelson was superb, based on the video clips of him in the show. They could have changed some of the dance music, shortened it or just better choreographed it for a person who is more of a mover. Throwing chairs -- just a bad idea. Besides, Buddy could have picked up some steps from Sally and Phyllis when they went out dancing after a performance at the Follies. Michael Bennett knew he had the real deal in Nelson as a dancer, and he wasn't going to pass up giving him a great showcase. He was like 51 when doing those acrobatic moves as well! Incredible. No, subsequent performers playing Buddy can just be showcased doing moves they can do well and that show them to best advantage, and the choreographer failed to do so for Treat Williams.

by Anonymousreply 228August 24, 2021 6:18 PM

Louis Jourdan kind of spoke-sang the "Gigi" score, so perhaps Alan Jay Lerner, who wrote both that show and "On A Clear Day" thought he'd do the same thing and it would be accepted, liked Rex Harrison in his "My Fair Lady".

by Anonymousreply 229August 24, 2021 6:20 PM

Maybe Treat couldn't dance as well because of carrying that big dick

by Anonymousreply 230August 24, 2021 6:24 PM

John C.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231August 24, 2021 6:33 PM

Arthur Freed never came across an actor who he didn't want to have lip synced by a singer. Yet he had Jourdan sing the entire Gigi score and I believe the song Gigi won an Oscar. Nobody complains about Jourdan in Gigi. His handsome European good looks and skillful charm are undeniable. There is not hate for Cullum he just at the time of Clear Day did not have the wattage to star in a big expensive Broadway musical especially next to Harris. I certainly saw him develop an ability to command the stage as his career moved on.

And as much I would have loved to see Harris in the film of Clear Day there would be no film without Babs who does some of her best singing in it. And looks smashing in those Beaton gowns.

by Anonymousreply 232August 24, 2021 6:37 PM

[quote]John Cullum was also excellent in Urinetown and Scottsboro Boys. I'm not sure I understand all the John Cullum hate, he's had an amazing career!

"All" of that hate for Cullum is undoubtedly coming from one or two assholes who have no taste and no idea what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 233August 24, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote]I’m watching Gigi on TCM right now. It’s clear Louis can’t sing so not sure why anyone thought he could handle the Clear Day score.

Not true. He had a lovely singing voice that was fine for light ballads and patter songs, not power ballads. It is true that he talks many of the songs in GIGI, but that was a choice, and when he does actually sings, his voice is very pleasing.

by Anonymousreply 234August 24, 2021 6:54 PM

O/T, but I love this Dorothy Lyman interview...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235August 24, 2021 6:55 PM

What 'hate' did you come across? That at the time of Clear Day Harris wiped him off the stage? It was said by somebody who saw her in the show. He said you did not see anybody else when she was on stage. My god the fucking dickheads on this site who can't read.'

Like R233. The real asshole.

by Anonymousreply 236August 24, 2021 6:55 PM

R236, I was referring to idiotic posts like R176: "John Cullum was the Gavin Creel of his day. Good singing voice but boring as fuck."

So stuff it, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 237August 24, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote]R227 I think we can all agree that Mary's version is definitively ________

She really makes the melody come ALIVE!

by Anonymousreply 238August 24, 2021 7:03 PM

R235, Lyman now looks a lot like Ellen Burstyn in that clip.

You stuff it, R237/dickwad. I stand by my comment that both Gavin Creel and John Cullum have been boring as fuck. And yes, I have seem most of their stage work. Not so much film/TV because there is a good reason neither has done anything in that medium with any regularity or distinction.

Oooo, I just LOVE getting some of you useless queens riled up. Keep it going, gals.

by Anonymousreply 239August 24, 2021 7:05 PM

Except one is straight and butch and the other is gay and nelly.

by Anonymousreply 240August 24, 2021 7:06 PM

I heard you cackling when you posted that, r239...

by Anonymousreply 241August 24, 2021 7:08 PM

R237. Oh I thought you were talking to me. I was the one who said I saw him develop into a commanding stage performer. Ok I'm the asshole here. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 242August 24, 2021 7:11 PM

Right, R176 / R239. I would not want an actor ever to suffer screen or television career like John Cullum's.

What a pity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243August 24, 2021 7:13 PM

[quote]I stand by my comment that both Gavin Creel and John Cullum have been boring as fuck. And yes, I have seem most of their stage work.

Of course you stand by your comment. No one expected you to suddenly develop good taste and intelligence within the past hour. But, believe me, I really don't care about your stupid opinions enough to get "riled up" about them, I just find them mildly annoying.

by Anonymousreply 244August 24, 2021 7:15 PM

I seem to recall reading somewhere (maybe Hugh Fordin's book on the MGM musicals) that Louis Jordan's vocals for the song "Gigi" had to be pieced together in the recording studio note by note...much the same way Lucy's "singing" in Mame was produced. That obviously won't work for a stage production. Maybe that's why he was fired from On A Clear Day.

by Anonymousreply 245August 24, 2021 7:20 PM

Thanks, R243. You would think these assholes would be embarrassed to publish such bullshit opinions. But of course, they would never do so with their names attached.

by Anonymousreply 246August 24, 2021 7:23 PM

I go back far enough to have seen Cullum in Carousel at Jones Beach after which I was in a puddle of tears. And by the way the opening was far superior to the one everyone raves about in the Lincoln center production which to be fair I've only seen on video.

But it was certainly one of the greatest scene changes I've ever seen on stage comparable to Loveland in the original production of Follies. I believe it was directed by John Fearnley and it could only be done at the Jones Beach theater. It would be impossible to duplicate anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 247August 24, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote]that Louis Jordan's vocals for the song "Gigi" had to be pieced together in the recording studio note by note

"Louis Jordan" wasn't in "Gigi."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248August 24, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote] So um not to be accused of being a Republican but what exactly happens when the Broadway community keeps talking up diversity and putting up BIPOC offerings and no one buys tickets?

[quote] And it's going to take a season of flops for that to become apparent.

Broadway can and will survive a season flops just fine. Each show is a separate entity and commercial shows will never lack for investors. But after a year and a half of COVID, a season of woke flops could effectively kill a raft of regional theatres.

by Anonymousreply 249August 24, 2021 7:29 PM

[quote]I seem to recall reading somewhere (maybe Hugh Fordin's book on the MGM musicals) that Louis Jordan's vocals for the song "Gigi" had to be pieced together in the recording studio note by note...much the same way Lucy's "singing" in Mame was produced. That obviously won't work for a stage production. Maybe that's why he was fired from On A Clear Day.

I'm sure that's a wild exaggeration, but it does seem clear that Jourdan was doing a lot of experimenting when recording the GIGI songs as to how to best deliver them, how much to sing and how much to speak-sing. The evidence is that, if you listen to Jourdan's recording of the title song on the original mono release of the film soundtrack and the later stereo release, the performances (or most of them) are very different as to which sections he sings or speaks. It's quite fascinating to compare the two.

by Anonymousreply 250August 24, 2021 7:33 PM

Karen Morrow was spectacular as Carlotta in Follies. Not butch at all, she was quite slender and wore a black gown that clung to her and it had a sparkly dark blue jacket. She looked and sounded better than she had twenty years earlier in The Grass Harp.

by Anonymousreply 251August 24, 2021 7:33 PM

Did Cullum ever play Ben in Follies?

by Anonymousreply 252August 24, 2021 7:41 PM

When Jordan toured in Gigi many years later in the Chevallier role his vocals were pre recorded. It wasn’t a secret.

by Anonymousreply 253August 24, 2021 7:42 PM

A studio recording of GIGI was made in French with Maurice Chevalier. Louis Jourdan? No. His role was sung on the studio recording by Sacha Distel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254August 24, 2021 7:49 PM

[quote] Joan Roberts was fine, but I heard she was hell backstage. They couldn't wait to get rid of her.

That wasn't exactly the case, r218. She sometimes behaved a little erratically, and blurted inappropriate language at odd times. In retrospect, she was probably sundowning. I don't recall any senior moments onstage.

She wasn't a difficult woman, but it was an uncomfortable situation. Fair to say that Marni as a replacement was a welcome relief.

There was a Weissman replacement, whose name I don't recall. His very first performance, he froze up completely the second the spotlight hit him. As in, rendered speechless. Treat Williams stepped into the fray, put his arm around the poor man's shoulders, and walked him around the stage. delivering Weissman's lines in a "I remember when you told me" kind of way.. An understudy performed the rest of the musical.

It was Kelli O'Hara's 2nd Broadway show.

Blythe Danner and Polly Bergen were thick as thieves. Together and individually, they were a joy to work with. Funny as hell, too.

by Anonymousreply 255August 24, 2021 8:24 PM

Well, r255, Blythe's L&J *was* quite amusing!

by Anonymousreply 256August 24, 2021 8:46 PM

well done r255, good stuff

by Anonymousreply 257August 24, 2021 8:55 PM

So all of the geniuses behind GIGI—Lerner, Loewe, Freed, Minnelli, Previn, etc.—hired Jourdan without knowing that he couldn't sing?? Really?

by Anonymousreply 258August 24, 2021 9:04 PM

R196 but of course! 🙄

by Anonymousreply 259August 24, 2021 9:04 PM

R177 the SJWs are hellbent on destroying Broadway, aren't they? Or so it appears. Many of their decisions are boneheaded. And what exactly is wrong with a predominantly white creative team? Would they have the same problem with an all-black team? Whatever happened to finding the best person for the job? Hiring someone based simply on their skin color just breeds mediocrity, because talent/skill is not being considered. At all. No wonder the entertainment industry seems so hopeless and dire.

by Anonymousreply 260August 24, 2021 9:12 PM

R260. And what’s wrong with Muriel Puce?!

by Anonymousreply 261August 24, 2021 9:18 PM

[quote]Whatever happened to finding the best person for the job?

Didn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 262August 24, 2021 9:23 PM

R260 It's interesting (to me at least) how few Broadway types are tweeting and posting about this deal. Especially the SJW types - and let's face it there's a lot of them - have very little to say. You'd think they'd be shouting about this from the rooftops - unless even they have now realised how stupid a list of demands it was.

by Anonymousreply 263August 24, 2021 9:33 PM

O/T again....but it's a swell interview with Miss Archer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264August 24, 2021 9:37 PM

Whenever a quota system is established in order to try to achieve diversity and representation in terms of race, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, or whatever, it's a tragic mistake, regardless of the fact that the basuc intentions are so good. Quotas are the wrong solution to deep-seated problems that are extremely difficult to solve. But the fact that they are so difficult to solve doesn't mean that it helps to establish quotas, which are of course horribly unfair and tragically wrong in their own way. I should think any of these quotas would have to be judged illegal if it ever came to down to a Supreme Court case. If that ever happens, it will be REALLY interesting to see the result.

by Anonymousreply 265August 24, 2021 9:41 PM

R262 that's another thing. They don't take suitability into account, either. There is such a thing as miscasting, people! You can only suspend so much disbelief. People already do watching live theater. But to expect the audience to suspend ALL disbelief is just insane.

by Anonymousreply 266August 24, 2021 10:02 PM

In the '80s, Louis Jordan took on the Chevalier role in a national tour of "Gigi"; he pre-recorded his songs and lip-synched during performances. Betsy Palmer and Taina Elg co-starred.

by Anonymousreply 267August 24, 2021 10:02 PM

Sorry, didn't read previous posts.

by Anonymousreply 268August 24, 2021 10:03 PM

Judy didn't complain about his singing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269August 24, 2021 10:05 PM

r253 r267 see r248

J-O-U-R-D-A-N

by Anonymousreply 270August 24, 2021 10:22 PM

Assassins is being performed in my city, with four of the roles, including Hinkley and Lee Harvey Oswald being played by gentleman of colour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271August 24, 2021 10:25 PM

Archer might have been a good Gooch

by Anonymousreply 272August 24, 2021 10:26 PM

I love Dorothy Lyman and wonder why she never had much of a career on Broadway or off-Broadway. I think I've heard she's married or was formerly married to formerly successful director John Tillinger. But isn't he gay? Anyone know the story?

by Anonymousreply 273August 24, 2021 10:27 PM

R270, don't be such an insufferable prick.

On DataLounge, just type in the name Louis Jourdan and you will see the red underline under the last name, indicating that it is misspelled. Don't forget, it's 12 year olds in Silicon Valley who are creating these technologies. They can't spell. They can't punctuate. And they certainly no know history.

My phone corrects "Jourdan" to "Jordan."

Next time you your sick mind screams "Gotcha!" at a misspelled word, just take a breath and remember that it's YOU who do not get what's happening here.

by Anonymousreply 274August 24, 2021 10:28 PM

Nifty post, R255.

Can you elaborate?

Also, if the replacement Weismann was so unprepared to play, how come nobody knew about that before he was hired?

One of the ghost leads--the one who is the son of an actor who was in I Had a Ball--was really handsome. Got any dish?

by Anonymousreply 275August 24, 2021 10:33 PM

[quote] I love Dorothy Lyman and wonder why she never had much of a career on Broadway or off-Broadway.

She turned to directing. She directed 74 episodes of The Nanny.

by Anonymousreply 276August 24, 2021 10:35 PM

She directed A Coupla White Chicks..., r273.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277August 24, 2021 10:36 PM

Who did the replacement Weissmann replace, r255? Or did you mean the original Weissmann was quickly replaced after that embarrassing performance?

Sounds like you were personally involved in the Roundabout revival.....how thrilling! Please tell us more stories. How did the cast feel about Matthew Warchus' direction?

by Anonymousreply 278August 24, 2021 10:36 PM

You’d think with Cynthia Erivo getting ethnically diverse Broadway shows shut down that they would shy away from diversity demands.

by Anonymousreply 279August 24, 2021 10:38 PM

According to IBDB, they were married for five years and she only has one Broadway acting credit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280August 24, 2021 10:39 PM

[quote] Did Cullum ever play Ben in Follies?

He didn’t because he refused to throw chairs.

I would have liked to see him do one of the Jerry Herman musicals. He could have played Georges in La Cage,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281August 24, 2021 10:47 PM

r281, Ben isn't the chair thrower, you dolt!

by Anonymousreply 282August 24, 2021 10:50 PM

[quote] the one who is the son of an actor who was in I Had a Ball--was really handsome. Got any dish?

You’re talking about Richard Roland, the son of Steve Roland. Richard’s been out for years and years. He has a hubby and they live upstate, I think. He’s gotten kind of bearish with age.

by Anonymousreply 283August 24, 2021 10:53 PM

Actually, I guess he’s teaching in Indiana now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284August 24, 2021 10:55 PM

r274 But Louis Jordan is an equally well-known and completely different person.

by Anonymousreply 285August 24, 2021 10:59 PM

We get what's happening, r274. You can't spell so you have to depend on your phone....which can't spell either.

by Anonymousreply 286August 24, 2021 11:03 PM

according to this someone named Tom Brennan replace Louis Zurich as Weisman

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287August 24, 2021 11:03 PM

[quote]Who did the replacement Weissmann replace, [R255]? Or did you mean the original Weissmann was quickly replaced after that embarrassing performance?

The unfortunate gent replaced the original Weismann, Louis Zorich, r278. I don't recall his name, but it wasn't his understudy, and he never returned to the theater.

[quote]Can you elaborate? Also, if the replacement Weismann was so unprepared to play, how come nobody knew about that before he was hired?

Happy to elaborate, but can you be more specific, r275? I don't really have "dish". The replacement Weismann had been rehearsed, but had not had a put in, complete with lights, and obviously, an audience.

It wasn't Tom Brennan, r287, and thanks, r257

by Anonymousreply 288August 24, 2021 11:06 PM

R276 so she kind of did Broadway in a way, since Fran's boss (and love interest) was a Broadway producer. 😂

by Anonymousreply 289August 24, 2021 11:06 PM

Why not an all-black " Follies"? It couldn't be more boring than the revival.

by Anonymousreply 290August 24, 2021 11:09 PM

[quote] so she kind of did Broadway in a way, since Fran's boss (and love interest) was a Broadway producer.

Fran’s boss was going to be an airline pilot but Dorothy stamped her foot and said, “Broadway producer or I walk.” 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 291August 24, 2021 11:11 PM

My husband was an airline pilot in my eponymous sitcom from which I was unceremoniously fired.

by Anonymousreply 292August 24, 2021 11:16 PM

How did Richard Roland and his father get introduced into this thread?

by Anonymousreply 293August 24, 2021 11:18 PM

r292 - Indeed you were, Val...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294August 24, 2021 11:19 PM

One of the interesting things about Assassins is that they are all white. Taking that away is unfortunate.

by Anonymousreply 295August 24, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote]I should think any of these quotas would have to be judged illegal if it ever came to down to a Supreme Court case. If that ever happens, it will be REALLY interesting to see the result.

R265 basically, it's discrimination against whites. SJWs are such hypocrites!

by Anonymousreply 296August 24, 2021 11:32 PM

Louis Zorich was Mr. Olympia Dukakis

by Anonymousreply 297August 24, 2021 11:56 PM

Olympia Dukakis was Mr. Olympia Dukakis.

by Anonymousreply 298August 25, 2021 12:13 AM

R297, what an ignorant thing to say about Louis Zorich. He has 91 credits on IMDb, going back to 1958. He has 20 Broadway credits, going back to 1960.

He has a very fine career of his own making.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299August 25, 2021 12:25 AM

R237. John Cullum exuded masculinity on stage, Gavin Creel not so much.

by Anonymousreply 300August 25, 2021 12:55 AM

I saw Brian Stokes Mitchell on the recent commercial for Broadways reopening and I thought that it might be interesting, if they think of doing Dolly again to have him play Horace. I know I will get shit for this but I think Jane Krakowski could make a memorable Dolly and I'm not talking in the "it was a disaster" kind of memorable.

by Anonymousreply 301August 25, 2021 12:56 AM

Dorothy Lyman was said to be infatuated with Ken Berry when they did Mama's Place and I believe it because they had great chemistry and really seemed like a couple.

by Anonymousreply 302August 25, 2021 1:34 AM

Was Theoni ill at that time? The costumes were so subpar for her. I remember reading something in the Times and Sally Ann said she was late in getting the sketches to her.

by Anonymousreply 303August 25, 2021 1:40 AM

Stokes does not do comedy well at all.

by Anonymousreply 304August 25, 2021 1:41 AM

Neither did Bette Davis.

by Anonymousreply 305August 25, 2021 1:42 AM

Horace Vandergelder is funny?

by Anonymousreply 306August 25, 2021 1:44 AM

It was Theoni's first and only show at the Roundabout and she didn't believe them when they told her how tiny the budget would be.

Also, she was indeed quite old by then and was accustomed to having a fleet of assistants and Barbara Matera's super-expensive costume shop produce all the costumes, none of which Roundabout could accommodate.

by Anonymousreply 307August 25, 2021 1:47 AM

[quote]R290 Why not an all-black “Follies"? It couldn't be more boring than the revival.

That would be FABULOUS! Kind of with a Cotton Club vibe in the flashbacks!

The late Lena Horne as Carlotta —

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308August 25, 2021 1:56 AM

I just don’t see SS being as enthusiastic about this idea.

by Anonymousreply 309August 25, 2021 2:00 AM

Oh that's right, r307, it was Matera not Sally Ann Parson that said that about the late sketches.

by Anonymousreply 310August 25, 2021 2:00 AM

And of course, r307, the show in question had to be FOLLIES of all shows.

by Anonymousreply 311August 25, 2021 2:02 AM

r145

good god! Would Sondheim need to approve those horrible lyrics changes?

by Anonymousreply 312August 25, 2021 2:15 AM

Stokes could have been a good Ben

by Anonymousreply 313August 25, 2021 2:21 AM

Agreed, r313, he could really toss those chairs!

by Anonymousreply 314August 25, 2021 2:25 AM

[quote]Assassins is being performed in my city, with four of the roles, including Hinkley and Lee Harvey Oswald being played by gentleman of colour.

Aw, not Booth?

by Anonymousreply 315August 25, 2021 2:32 AM

I'll bet Gregory Hines would have been an excellent Buddy.

by Anonymousreply 316August 25, 2021 2:50 AM

[quote] How did Richard Roland and his father get introduced into this thread?

Roland was young Ben in the disastrous 2001 Follies revival (not to be confused with the disastrous 2011 Follies revival).

by Anonymousreply 317August 25, 2021 2:51 AM

'Horace Vandergelder is funny?'

I hate to have to say it but this is an anonymous board so I can. David Burns saying 'Chocolate covered peanuts. Unshelled.' brought down the St James. Even as a young boy I didn't think the line was funny. But the audience loved Burns. Of course I had no idea who he was.

by Anonymousreply 318August 25, 2021 2:55 AM

I believe Harry Groener and Harvey Evans were able to dance it, r316. Unfortunately, Tony Roberts and Treat were not. I don't remember what they had Burstein doing.

by Anonymousreply 319August 25, 2021 3:04 AM

[quote]I saw Brian Stokes Mitchell on the recent commercial for Broadways reopening and I thought that it might be interesting, if they think of doing Dolly again to have him play Horace. I know I will get shit for this but I think Jane Krakowski could make a memorable Dolly and I'm not talking in the "it was a disaster" kind of memorable.

I hope you're joking. If not, you're insane. Those are two of the worst casting ideas in history.

by Anonymousreply 320August 25, 2021 3:16 AM

[quote] I don't remember what they had Burstein doing.

Working way too hard for very little result.

by Anonymousreply 321August 25, 2021 3:17 AM

Yeah, r321, I really don't remember. I actually do remember thinking that at least it wasn't as forced as the chair throwing option.

by Anonymousreply 322August 25, 2021 3:21 AM

[quote]I just don’t see SS being as enthusiastic about this idea.

He might if he could get Young Buddy and Young Ben on the casting couch.

by Anonymousreply 323August 25, 2021 3:21 AM

I can see why they cut this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324August 25, 2021 3:46 AM

Why did The Roundabout do Follies if they couldn’t afford it? “Design For Living” was playing in their main stage and “Cabaret” was playing at Studio 54.

Were they not making any money off Cabaret? Gina Gershon was playing Sally followed by Kate Shindle and then Brooke Shields was just starting as Follies was closing so they didn’t have huge star salaries.

And why would they skimp on costumes? Follies can get away with a cheap set but the costumes need to be spectacular, particularly for the ghosts.

Were they a bit too ambitious?

by Anonymousreply 325August 25, 2021 3:50 AM

I saw Design for Living. It was a fucking snore.

by Anonymousreply 326August 25, 2021 3:51 AM

Pomposity, r325.

by Anonymousreply 327August 25, 2021 3:51 AM

"David Burns saying 'Chocolate covered peanuts. Unshelled.' brought down the St James"

Of course it would.

by Anonymousreply 328August 25, 2021 3:59 AM

[quote]Why did The Roundabout do Follies if they couldn’t afford it? “Design For Living” was playing in their main stage and “Cabaret” was playing at Studio 54.

They did it as part of a continuing effort to worm their way into Sondheim's good graces. Sadly, it worked, even though almost all of their Sondheim productions were lousy. And of course, they eventually wound up naming one of their theaters for SS -- after they ineptly renovated it. And now the company doesn't even do their own shows in that theater anymore, they use it only as a rental. (The last show of their own that played there was ANYTHING GOES in 2011.)

by Anonymousreply 329August 25, 2021 4:24 AM

[quote]I saw Brian Stokes Mitchell on the recent commercial for Broadways reopening and I thought that it might be interesting, if they think of doing Dolly again to have him play Horace. I know I will get shit for this but I think Jane Krakowski could make a memorable Dolly

You might as well propose Beanie to play Dolly. I'm sure it's going to be a long time before we see another Dolly revival on Broadway. In fact, by then, Beanie may be too old for it.

by Anonymousreply 330August 25, 2021 4:27 AM

R324, you had to see it. It was quite funny as it was staged.

Gower never like “Hit Em On the Head,” which is why he asked Jerry for something new. “Call the Kops” was only in the show briefly before they went back to “Hit Em On the Head.” But Gower still hated it and lost interest in doing a big splashy Kops number, so Jerry finally wrote My Heart Leaps Up, and that’s what played Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 331August 25, 2021 4:28 AM

Thought this was a thread about TY Beanie Babies! I was like "What the FUUUUCCCK!??!"

by Anonymousreply 332August 25, 2021 4:36 AM

Blame the dumb fuck OP

by Anonymousreply 333August 25, 2021 4:37 AM

[quote] And of course, they eventually wound up naming one of their theaters for SS -- after they ineptly renovated it. And now the company doesn't even do their own shows in that theater anymore, they use it only as a rental.

They don't own the Stephen Sondheim Theatre, they just program it. It is owned by Bank of America and the Durst Organization. Roundabout has a 20-year lease through 2029. They had no hand in the construction, which rather than a 'renovation' is an entirely new building behind the old facade of Henry Miller's Theatre. A few elements from the original theatre were preserved, but not a lot.

by Anonymousreply 334August 25, 2021 4:46 AM

I saw Yvonne De Carlo in a bus and truck tour of Dolly in the spring of 1969 and she was absolutely fabulous. And she was one of the few women who noticed the character's name was Dolly GALLAGHER Levi and played the part with an Irish brogue.

by Anonymousreply 335August 25, 2021 5:09 AM

"the Durst Organization."

You mean like that serial killer guy? The same Dursts?

by Anonymousreply 336August 25, 2021 5:23 AM

I think it’s run by Kirsten Durst. From “Interview with the Vampire”.

by Anonymousreply 337August 25, 2021 5:28 AM

No, it’s run by William Randolph Durst.

by Anonymousreply 338August 25, 2021 7:16 AM

Yes, son of Elizabeth the Durst.

by Anonymousreply 339August 25, 2021 7:44 AM

[quote] You mean like that serial killer guy? The same Dursts?

Yes, actually, it's the same family. Have fun on Broadway,

by Anonymousreply 340August 25, 2021 7:53 AM

[quote]Mama's Place

Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 341August 25, 2021 7:57 AM

[quote]You mean like that serial killer guy? The same Dursts?

Yes, she's an heiress and gets all her money for her lawyers from The Durst Organization. Kind of the Black Sheep of the family.

by Anonymousreply 342August 25, 2021 8:09 AM

Well, the rest of the family knows he's a serial killer and don't really like him all that much. But blood is thicker than water and all that.

by Anonymousreply 343August 25, 2021 8:16 AM

I don't think he's actually been found guilty in court. Yet.

by Anonymousreply 344August 25, 2021 8:28 AM

Roundabout's Design For Living was horrible. Left at intermission. I still don't know what happens. I should read the play. I heard a recent London revival was superb.

This was on the previous thread, but I had forgotten how awful Bill Irwin was in Bye, Bye Birdie until reminded. It's hard to describe how terrible he was in that show, and he can be very good. I thought he was excellent in WAOVW. But in BBB, damn, he was rock-bottom awful. Almost as bad as Parkey Posey in Taller Than A Dwarf. Or Aaron Tveit in Moulin Rouge. And yes, he's going to get a Tony for that performance, which is another Covid tragedy. The performance I saw two weeks before the shutdown he gave the most lackluster leading performance I've ever seen on a Broadway stage. Astonishingly shitty.

by Anonymousreply 345August 25, 2021 8:36 AM

There’s still a chance that Tveit won’t get enough votes to win his Tony even though he’s the only nominee.

by Anonymousreply 346August 25, 2021 8:49 AM

I didn't even know Roundabout was doing Design for Living. The pre-code film is quite astonishing for making making it clear that Gary Cooper and Fredric March are as much interested in each other as they are in Miriam Hopkins, although little of Coward's dialogue is left intact.

by Anonymousreply 347August 25, 2021 8:53 AM

It was a pre-code Lubitsch film, r347. Of course it was "adult."

by Anonymousreply 348August 25, 2021 9:10 AM

Wait, so that movie Kirsten Dunst was in with Ryan Gosling, All Good Things, which was about Robert Durst killing his first wife, they changed the characters names because Dunst and Durst were so close they didn’t want it get confused that she was related to him?

by Anonymousreply 349August 25, 2021 9:17 AM

R346, Weren't the votes cast long ago?

by Anonymousreply 350August 25, 2021 9:21 AM

It really is amazing to see Cooper and March cuddling up with each other. March was gay but deeply closeted and Cooper was known to play the casting couch game with either sex when he was young but never admitted to it later.

by Anonymousreply 351August 25, 2021 9:30 AM

R351, Gary and Fredric?

by Anonymousreply 352August 25, 2021 9:35 AM

Actors had such respect for Lubitsch they would do just about anything he asked. It was considered an honor to appear in one of his films. Really.

by Anonymousreply 353August 25, 2021 9:39 AM

Veronica Lake shits on Fredric March @ 10:20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354August 25, 2021 9:41 AM

And as hard to take

As Veronica Lake

Whoop, Whoop, Whoop, Whoop!

by Anonymousreply 355August 25, 2021 9:47 AM

[quote]Aaron Tveit in Moulin Rouge. And yes, he's going to get a Tony for that performance, which is another Covid tragedy.

I question your use of the term "tragedy". Especially in a Theatre thread.

by Anonymousreply 356August 25, 2021 10:22 AM

Vanessa Williams and LaChanze as Phyllis and Sally in Black Follies.

by Anonymousreply 357August 25, 2021 12:05 PM

R335, Tovah Feldshuh claimed she was the first actress to play the role with a brogue.

by Anonymousreply 358August 25, 2021 12:07 PM

Is Vanessa a credible actress?

by Anonymousreply 359August 25, 2021 12:09 PM

[quote]Tovah Feldshuh claimed she was the first actress to play the role with a brogue.

Exactly the sort of narcissistic shit you can expect from that vile cunt Tovah Feldshuh.

by Anonymousreply 360August 25, 2021 12:23 PM

R360, That cunt stole my Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 361August 25, 2021 12:48 PM

R358 discussion of Dolly backstory here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362August 25, 2021 1:02 PM

No r320 I'm not joking.

It's sad that Broadway may die because old queens cling to the past. Both those actors are skilled and could pull off those characters and bring something that is new yet familiar.

by Anonymousreply 363August 25, 2021 1:33 PM

Can't read it r362

by Anonymousreply 364August 25, 2021 1:34 PM

Jane Krakowski has just about everything needed to play Dolly, except the willingness to look her age. She's in her early 50's. That's the IDEAL age to play Dolly. But she refuses to give up looking like a Barbie doll. And that is the exact opposite of what is required.

The play is filled with young people eager to start their adult lives. They want the world, or as much of it as they can find. They are balanced by Horace and Dolly, the two older characters in the play. They have already been where Cornelius and Irene and Barnaby and Minnie are as the play unfolds. They aren't looking for the world, as young people do. They are looking for a less lonely life, some companionship, and for slightly easier circumstances. Exactly as they should be in their 50's. It's the way of the world.

But unless Jane Krakowski is willing to take a long, hard, look at Shirley Booth and go there whole heartedly, this is not the role for her. She can't play Dolly Gallagher Levi as if she was Joan Van Ark,

by Anonymousreply 365August 25, 2021 1:43 PM

The best Design For Living production I've ever seen remains the production at Williamsown back in '79. Patricia Elliot, Peter Evans, and Paxton Whitehead. All three were superb. The only other production to come close was the Circle In The Square production with Jill Clayburgh, Frank Langella, and Raul Julia.

by Anonymousreply 366August 25, 2021 1:49 PM

Lillias White as Carlotta, Norm Lewis as Buddy

by Anonymousreply 367August 25, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote] Lillias White as Carlotta

Part of Carlotta’s character is that she was once very desirable sexually. Ben still wants to have sex with her at the reunion. The most Miss White can hope for is Stella.

by Anonymousreply 368August 25, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote]There’s still a chance that Tveit won’t get enough votes to win his Tony even though he’s the only nominee.

I'm not a fan of his, but I hope that doesn't happen, because it would be so excruciatingly embarrassing. What percentage or number of votes does he have to get to win the Tony?

by Anonymousreply 369August 25, 2021 2:05 PM

Peter Evans!

What a wonderful young actor he was. Just so very special. Beautiful. So talented.

Goddamned fucking AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 370August 25, 2021 2:13 PM

Jane Krakowski thinks she can still play Minnie Fay.

by Anonymousreply 371August 25, 2021 2:14 PM

[quote]It's sad that Broadway may die because old queens cling to the past. Both those actors are skilled and could pull off those characters and bring something that is new yet familiar.

It's got nothing to do with that. Both Stokes and Krawkowski are all wrong for the roles of Horace and Dolly in terms of type. Also, why would Stokes, whose main talent is his singing voice, ever want to play a role that basically consists of one and a half songs?

[quote]Jane Krakowski has just about everything needed to play Dolly....

I love her, but I don't agree. There have been many successful Dollies (Dollys?) over the years, and each of them was quite different from all the others, BUT the one thing they all had in common was a very strong, outsized, unique, onstage personality and a talent for old-style vaudeville and Broadway comedy, from Channing to Bailey to Phyllis Diller to Ethel Merman, and so on and so on.

by Anonymousreply 372August 25, 2021 2:14 PM

[quote] I'm not a fan of his, but I hope that doesn't happen, because it would be so excruciatingly embarrassing.

You want to talk about embarrassing? 1995, Best Actress in a musical. There were only two nominees: Glenn Close in Sunset Boulevard and Rebecca Luker in Show Boat. Poor Rebecca knew she lost before the ceremony and had nobody to commiserate with. I hear she called up Patti LuPone and they got shit faced together at Joe Allen’s.

by Anonymousreply 373August 25, 2021 2:16 PM

R373, agreed, that was quite embarrassing -- but STILL not as embarrassing as it would be if someone who is the ONLY nominee for a Tony in his category fails to win because he doesn't get enough votes. Again I'll ask, does anyone know what number or percentage of votes Tveit needs to get in order to win?

by Anonymousreply 374August 25, 2021 2:19 PM

[quote} BUT the one thing they all had in common was a very strong, outsized, unique, onstage personality and a talent for old-style vaudeville and Broadway comedy

Jane is 52. She started on Broadway at 18. She has eight Broadway shows on her resume and probably more stage experience than any of her contemporaries. She didn't get those jobs, again and again, without a strong, outsized, unique onstage personality and the skills to back it up.

R371 nailed the problem.

by Anonymousreply 375August 25, 2021 2:20 PM

[quote]Jane is 52. She started on Broadway at 18. She has eight Broadway shows on her resume and probably more stage experience than any of her contemporaries. She didn't get those jobs, again and again, without a strong, outsized, unique onstage personality and the skills to back it up.

But she has never once in her career played the kind of character or the kind of comedy necessary for HELLO, DOLLY! Not everyone, no matter how talented, is suited for every role, and Jane would be no more well suited for Dolly than Carol Channing would have been for Flaemmchen in GRAND HOTEL. You can keep insisting that she would be perfect as Dolly, but I just don't agree. And I wouldn't describe Jane's stage personality as "outsized." On the contrary, I think one of her strengths is the ability to appear so natural on stage.

by Anonymousreply 376August 25, 2021 2:33 PM

Jane Krakiwski is more a Mame than a Dolly.

R273/280, John Tillinger isn’t gay, just British. It was a big scandale at the time (early 1980s) when Lyman walked out on him and their young daughter Emma to be with Vincent Malle, director Louis Malle’s brother. Emma is now an extremely successful producer, she started out as Martin Scorsese’s assistant.

by Anonymousreply 377August 25, 2021 2:40 PM

"And the winner for best actor in a musical is..." {Rips open envelope} "Nobody."

by Anonymousreply 378August 25, 2021 2:49 PM

I never wrote that she's the "perfect" Dolly. I stated she is as talented, skilled, and experienced as anyone, and more than most. I also expressed serious reservation about her willingness to take on the character and give it what it needs, i.e., a 52 year old woman and not a 52 year old girl.

How you get "perfect as Dolly" out of all that is only known to you.

by Anonymousreply 379August 25, 2021 2:49 PM

Jane Krawkowski natural onstage?? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 380August 25, 2021 2:51 PM

If Bernadette can play Dolly, r376, so can Jane.

by Anonymousreply 381August 25, 2021 2:55 PM

True, R380. Everything she does is calculated to a T. Everything.

by Anonymousreply 382August 25, 2021 2:55 PM

Who wants to bet Lin-Manuel will be the first celebrity on that fucking Times Square ferris wheel?

by Anonymousreply 383August 25, 2021 3:05 PM

He'll also rap about it.

by Anonymousreply 384August 25, 2021 3:08 PM

Jane Lynch as Dolly!

by Anonymousreply 385August 25, 2021 3:35 PM

Tillinger is quite gay.

by Anonymousreply 386August 25, 2021 3:36 PM

I apologize, R379. It's true, you did not use the word "perfect," but you did express the opinion that Jane would be right for the role of Dolly if she would act her age (my paraphrase of what you wrote). I disagree. But anyway, it's a moot point, as I'm sure she'll never play the role.

And, although they are similar in some ways, I think Bernadette Peters has quite a different skill set and onstage personality than Jane Krakowski does.

by Anonymousreply 387August 25, 2021 3:36 PM

[quote] Bernadette Peters has quite a different skill set and onstage personality than Jane Krakowski does.

God, yes. One is a Kewpie Doll. The other a Barbie Doll.

by Anonymousreply 388August 25, 2021 3:40 PM

Krakowski has a very small voice.

by Anonymousreply 389August 25, 2021 3:43 PM

[quote]Jane Krakowski thinks she can still play Minnie Fay.

Over my dead body!

by Anonymousreply 390August 25, 2021 3:44 PM

R351 I never heard that Fredric March was gay; on the contrary, I heard that he was a real womanizer even while married. First time I heard a friend use the word "cocksman".

by Anonymousreply 391August 25, 2021 3:48 PM

R374, Aaron has admitted that being the only N2N main cast member not Tony nominated sent him into a deep funk.

Should he lose a Tony when he's the only nominee would be devastating.

by Anonymousreply 392August 25, 2021 3:50 PM

R391, Fredric March was not gay.

by Anonymousreply 393August 25, 2021 3:51 PM

First I've heard about it, r351.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394August 25, 2021 3:55 PM

Frederic March was not a fag! And I’m the Dame who can prove it.

by Anonymousreply 395August 25, 2021 4:10 PM

[quote] "And the winner for best actor in a musical is..." {Rips open envelope} "Nobody."

I can guaran-damn-tee you that won’t happen. The Tony committee is notorious for bending to the will of the producers and they have their own method of working.

My guess is they will either give him the award or fold Best Actor Musical into Best Actor Play category.

The Tony Awards is foremost a marketing tool and with Broadway already questioning what COVID will do to their business and with black workers demanding quotas, they will not allow even the hint of an issue to come from their ranks.

by Anonymousreply 396August 25, 2021 4:11 PM

R376, Krakowski actually seems more a Lorelei Lee than Dolly or Mame, but those days have probably sailed on unless we're adding "Lookin' Back" to the show.

To bring it back to topic (FOLLIES!), Jane has the demeanor of a Carlotta, but I think a voice more suited to Sally. Of course, it's been a while since I listened to the Sarah Jessica Parker Once Upon a Mattress recording so maybe they fiddled with the keys, but Lady Larkin is usually cast with a soprano.

by Anonymousreply 397August 25, 2021 4:21 PM

[quote]My guess is they will either give him the award or fold Best Actor Musical into Best Actor Play category.

It's too late to do the latter, they have already set the nominees and the categories. So I'm sure he'll just get the award for Best Actor in a Musical.

by Anonymousreply 398August 25, 2021 4:25 PM

If Streisand could play Dolly at 27, I don't see how anyone can object to a Jane Krakowski "unwilling to look her age" in the part.

by Anonymousreply 399August 25, 2021 4:51 PM

Miss La Rue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400August 25, 2021 5:22 PM

Ginger Minj might be a good Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 401August 25, 2021 5:34 PM

r400 You rang?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402August 25, 2021 5:42 PM

Krakowski really would be perfect for Carlotta. She's the exact right type and I have the feeling she'd play "I'm Still Here" like a triumph instead of a bitter dirge. What the fuck does Carlotta have to be depressed about it? She went through some tough times, but she's in a much better place than the 4 leads.

She'd never be the first choice if there was a new revival, but she might make an interesting Rose in Gypsy. It might be nice to have a Rose who looks like she could have small children at the start of the show and she has a goofy charm and sexiness that could make her scenes with Herbie really interesting.

by Anonymousreply 403August 25, 2021 5:48 PM

I find Krakowski reptilian and repulsive and devoid of any talent, I never have understood the draw, especially from gay men. She stops dead anything she’s in becomes about her, she sucks all the life out of every scene.

by Anonymousreply 404August 25, 2021 5:55 PM

Carlotta is not world-weary. And I'm Still Here should be sung triumphantly and not regretfully. Did that begin with Nancy Walker's rendition? In any case, it's why Polly Bergen was not good in the role.

And Dolly has to be exasperating and pushy and more than a little off-putting to Horace. Even Streisand knew she had to play that. She's the last woman he'd want to marry at the top of the show....that's a MAJOR PLOT POINT. How would Jane K. ever convince of that? She may be in her 50s but onstage she looks 30. They'd have to cast a teenage Irene Molloy. And Stokes?? Frankly, Horace also has to be physically unappealing....that's the humor....but you just know she and Dolly are meant for each other.

by Anonymousreply 405August 25, 2021 5:58 PM

Channing was 45 when she originated the role of Dolly and DeCarlo was 49 when she did Carlotta. Krakowski is aging out of the roles.

by Anonymousreply 406August 25, 2021 6:08 PM

[quote]Krakowski has a very small voice.

And she doesn't have a "sound."

by Anonymousreply 407August 25, 2021 6:08 PM

No, Krakowski is wrong for Carlotta, who’s a full blooded, full bodied woman completely comfortable with her age. Krakowski is a wind up doll in her 50s still pretending to be in her20. NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 408August 25, 2021 6:08 PM

Harvey Fierstein as Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 409August 25, 2021 6:12 PM

I never knew Krakowski was so hated here. I've enjoyed her in everything I've seen her in and she always ends up stealing the show.

by Anonymousreply 410August 25, 2021 6:13 PM

Jane is one of the nice ones in show biz. She fights to stay young, but the business wants that.

The 'young' appearance she cultivates robs her of stature to do more interesting roles. She's getting long in the tooth for a sex kitten. She and her management have some hard decisions to make.

It won't be long before we see she's "Mrs. Lovett" in a regional theater in flyover land.

by Anonymousreply 411August 25, 2021 6:16 PM

Margaret Cho as Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 412August 25, 2021 6:17 PM

You know how bitchy fags can be, r410.

by Anonymousreply 413August 25, 2021 6:18 PM

Miss Verdun...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414August 25, 2021 6:18 PM

[quote]Harvey Fierstein as Dolly.

What a fresh and original idea. We've already seen that performance and really don't need to see it again. And I'm sure people are dying to pay Broadway prices to hear him croak his way through those songs.

by Anonymousreply 415August 25, 2021 6:20 PM

I could see this WSYWAT/SJW crusade to put Black artists first and foremost backfiring massively with other minority groups. It seems to have broken off from the BIPOC/AAPI/LGBT goals of broader inclusiveness to solely a Black centric agenda. I don't understand how quotas and demanding these outcomes is going to benefit anyone in the long or short run. Frankly, I could see it breeding a ton of resentment from everyone outside that realm -- and from people who would otherwise BE allies. The fact so few are speaking publicly about it at the moment says something...

There HAVE been past injustices, discrimination and inequities -- though on Broadway, I imagine still arguably less so than any other industry. But we're still talking about 14% of the population. It's not to say representation doesn't matter, or that equality of opportunity (especially at the most entry level) isn't important. It IS. But it's ridiculous to think it's going to be some overcorrection of 60/40 or 80/20 as some of the woke have suggested that rectifies past inequities.

It's also not actually representative of the population at large. And because that population at large are the ones buying tickets, theatre owners/producers/creatives need to naturally cater to the majority. And that's often not even based on ethnicity/sexuality as much as most commercially viable (read: easily digestible) properties. While they ARE discriminating in their choices, this is NOT actual discrimination. They're being savvy business people, catering to the largest group of people possible -- which can and often does include BIPOC/AAPI/LGBT people.

What most are advocating for here is actually over-representation. Which is well within anyone's right to champion for, but let's not lose the thread either. It's probably NEVER before been a more equitable, more inclusive time on Broadway or in Film/TV. There's always more work always to be done, but listening to the woke mob, you'd think we're still in 1965...or 1985...or even 2005! Progress IS happening. And at an exponential rate. But when you consider that WSYWAT manifesto is COMPLETELY insane and not rooted in any reality (or critical, rational or practical thought) it's not surprising we've wound up here. The illiberal, regressive far left are KILLING the arts with these marxist manifestos.

by Anonymousreply 416August 25, 2021 6:21 PM

R410 “She always ends up stealing the show.” Precisely, she doesn’t know how to be part of the ensemble and she plays everything to large, she comes off as a monster that I assume she is.

by Anonymousreply 417August 25, 2021 6:23 PM

You assume wrong, R417. Jane is the exact opposite of that. She's really one of the nice ones in show business.

by Anonymousreply 418August 25, 2021 6:29 PM

Cho-Dolly

BD Wong - Horace

Harry Shum Jr - Cornelius Hackl

Karan Brar - Barnaby Tucker

Priyanka Chopra - Irene Molloy

Awkwafina - Minnie Faye

Darren Criss- Ambrose Kemper

Jenna Ushkowitz - Ermengarde

by Anonymousreply 419August 25, 2021 6:31 PM

Jackie Chan as Horace

by Anonymousreply 420August 25, 2021 6:32 PM

R415 = serious about his ideal Follies cast.

by Anonymousreply 421August 25, 2021 6:32 PM

Ignore r417, r418. They think their obnoxious trashing is cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422August 25, 2021 6:33 PM

R411, Jane Krakowski belongs on that other thread about celebrities who aren’t as nice as they seem. Krakowski is “phony nice,” not genuinely nice. Her ex 30 Rock co-star Tina Fey also fits that description. Well, Fey is actually a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 423August 25, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote]Krakowski really would be perfect for Carlotta. She's the exact right type and I have the feeling she'd play "I'm Still Here" like a triumph instead of a bitter dirge.

I've seen many productions of FOLLIES and heard even more recordings and seen a lot of clips of various women performing "I'm Still Here," and offhand, I can't think of ONE who performed it as "a bitter dirge." Sure, some women stress the anger and bitterness in certain parts of the song, especially the middle, and that's a valid choice. But considering the way the song ends, I don't think it would be possible to play it as a bitter dirge even if the Carlotta in question was so foolish as to want to do that.

[quote]I never knew Krakowski was so hated here.

I'm sure she's not generally hated here, only by unhinged idiots like R417, who really should be institutionalized.

by Anonymousreply 424August 25, 2021 6:37 PM

Diana finally premieres on Netflix October 1st, a month before its Broadway premiere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425August 25, 2021 6:39 PM

Which character sings 'Broadway Baby'? Jane Krak could play that role.

by Anonymousreply 426August 25, 2021 6:39 PM

Excuse me-Diana: THE MUSICAL.

by Anonymousreply 427August 25, 2021 6:39 PM

She'd be perfect for Hattie, r426...in 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 428August 25, 2021 6:42 PM

[quote] Please ignore the 1969 movie starring Barbra Streisand.

Nope.

by Anonymousreply 429August 25, 2021 6:42 PM

R416, Either say the word gay and spell it out or you are no fucking progressive.

by Anonymousreply 430August 25, 2021 6:43 PM

Try 60 years, R428!

by Anonymousreply 431August 25, 2021 6:45 PM

[quote]r425 Diana: The Musical finally premieres on Netflix October 1st, a month before its Broadway premiere.

Had Princess Di lived, maybe she’d have swooped in and done Dolly?

by Anonymousreply 432August 25, 2021 6:50 PM

Krakowski could play Dolly while "touring in stock".

AND SHE'S HERE!

by Anonymousreply 433August 25, 2021 7:00 PM

Victor Garber worked as a good-looking Horace, as did David Hyde Pierce, a good-looking character guy.

by Anonymousreply 434August 25, 2021 7:05 PM

[quote] No, Krakowski is wrong for Carlotta, who’s a full blooded, full bodied woman

No r408 you're thinking of Yvonne DiCarlo. Absolutely nothing demands she be "full bodied." I agree that Krakowski -- still playing too young in her 50s -- is an interesting idea but that's besides the point.

by Anonymousreply 435August 25, 2021 7:32 PM

R419's casting idea is kind of cute for the few of us who watched [italic]All-American Girl[/italic] until ABC ruined it and turned it into [italic]Friends with an Asian Girl and No Guys[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 436August 25, 2021 7:34 PM

Back to Creel, now you can enjoy him singing songs about the Met Museum:

"Tony and Olivier Award-winner Gavin Creel was a museum novice for most of his 20 years living in New York City. Invited to create a program for MetLiveArts, he spent countless hours over the past year exploring the Museum’s galleries, finding inspiration, and falling in love with The Met. Experience Creel’s newfound passion and sense of wonder for The Met in his newly composed songs that make the art sing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437August 25, 2021 7:34 PM

R417 obviously got beaten out by Jane for the lead of their spring musical and is still bitter about it.

When has it ever been a crime to be a scene stealer? All the best actors are. Don't blame them for the audience liking them more than another, less interesting actor. Maybe this is why Broadway is filled with no one above competent and pleasant these days. Are people scared of rising to the occasion and delivering something memorable?

by Anonymousreply 438August 25, 2021 8:03 PM

[quote]I'm not a fan of his, but I hope that doesn't happen, because it would be so excruciatingly embarrassing. What percentage or number of votes does he have to get to win the Tony?

I think he would need to get 60% of the "yes" votes in order to win (or something like that). At least that's what I seem to recall hearing how it works.

And I agree -- I'm no Tveit fan (nothing against him, just not a fan particularly) but to lose as the only nominee would be horribly embarrassing and frankly a kick in the stomach he doesn't deserve.

by Anonymousreply 439August 25, 2021 8:13 PM

How about Margaret Cho as Madame Liang?

by Anonymousreply 440August 25, 2021 8:25 PM

It might have been one thing for Aaron to lose to no one in the deep days of Covid when the awards might have been given out quietly on line but now that the Tonys will take place at the Winter Garden with a live audience and be televised (somewhere) to millions, it will be beyond humiliating for him to lose the Tony.

I really think it was a mistake not to have simply declared him the unchallenged winner when the nominations were announced. Or if that was deemed impossible (why, I don't know), just cancel the category.

by Anonymousreply 441August 25, 2021 8:27 PM

[quote] he spent countless hours over the past year exploring the Museum’s galleries,

I wonder if he got hassled by the cashiers at the door to pay the full “suggested price” like everyone else does? The Metropolitan is the worst for advertising “pay what you can” and then giving you a hassle if you don’t pay what they expect, all the while sitting on borrowed public land belonging to Central Park.

by Anonymousreply 442August 25, 2021 8:29 PM

Thank you, 416. This hand has been very overplayed. And no one will say so.

by Anonymousreply 443August 25, 2021 8:34 PM

I read that the Met got rid of pay what you can and people outside of NY must pay the admission price.

Are you talking about New Yorkers who if they do not pay the full admission price are hassled?

by Anonymousreply 444August 25, 2021 8:38 PM

they brought up Jenna's(Jane's) age ALL the time on 30 rock and it never made Jenna look good

by Anonymousreply 445August 25, 2021 8:39 PM

It doesn’t take Miss Cleo to see that diversity quotas will lead to less Broadway productions which will lead to more empty theaters which will lead to more churches buying theaters. Hope you like the Wintergarden Church of Scientology, the Gershwin Jehovah’s Witness and the Marriott Marquis Church of Christ.

by Anonymousreply 446August 25, 2021 8:40 PM

The wrecking ball can have the Gershwin and Marriott Marquis.

by Anonymousreply 447August 25, 2021 8:42 PM

R446 still blames the movie version of [italic]A Chorus Line[/italic] for the Mark Hellinger Theater becoming a church when it was a flophouse for years before that.

by Anonymousreply 448August 25, 2021 8:51 PM

Legs Diamond is the reason for the loss of the Hellinger to the Xtianists.

The Nederlanders over invested in it. Way too much. The show tanked. The theater went on the block.

by Anonymousreply 449August 25, 2021 8:57 PM

Plus the elder Nederlander turned down an offer from another producer to buy the theater. He couldn’t bear to see anyone else make it a successful theater. That’s how we lost it to the Christians. Fuck him and his shortsighted pride.

by Anonymousreply 450August 25, 2021 9:11 PM

I would think the Shuberts would have wanted it, no?

by Anonymousreply 451August 25, 2021 9:16 PM

R451 I could be wrong about this but I think it may have been several producers. And I think that Andrew Lloyd Webber expressed interest in buying it, too.

by Anonymousreply 452August 25, 2021 9:19 PM

[quote]I think he would need to get 60% of the "yes" votes in order to win (or something like that). At least that's what I seem to recall hearing how it works.

So, tell me if I understand this correctly: Since none of the voters can vote for anyone else, as there are no other nominees, the only way Tveit would not get the award is if more than 40 percent of the voters abstain and don't vote (for him) at all?

[quote]Plus the elder Nederlander turned down an offer from another producer to buy the theater. He couldn’t bear to see anyone else make it a successful theater. That’s how we lost it to the Christians. Fuck him and his shortsighted pride.

Truly. His name should go down in infamy for that alone.

[quote]I really think it was a mistake not to have simply declared him the unchallenged winner when the nominations were announced. Or if that was deemed impossible (why, I don't know), just cancel the category.

Agreed, One of several epic mistakes made by those in charge as they planned how this year's Tony Awards would work. I think we all realize they were dealing with horrendous, unprecedented circumstances, but still -- holy shit, what a mess this is going to be (and already is).

by Anonymousreply 453August 25, 2021 9:31 PM

[quote] And I think that Andrew Lloyd Webber expressed interest in buying it, too.

Yes, ALW had made an offer. The original Jesus Christ Superstar had played the Hellinger so he knew the theater. When he brought Sunset Boulevard to Broadway, he expressed regret that he couldn’t use the Hellinger because he thought it perfect for Norma Desmond’s house.

by Anonymousreply 454August 25, 2021 9:35 PM

R441 The individual awards are being presented on the Paramount Plus section of the show, so Aaron can at least take solace in the idea that if he doesn't win barely anyone will be watching. Only Best Musical, Best Play and Best Revival of a Play will be on CBS. The CBS section is named "The Tony Awards Present: Broadway’s Back!" - which does sound like a title they'd come up for 30 Rock.

by Anonymousreply 455August 25, 2021 10:01 PM

r453

I'm assuming the ballot said something like

Aaron Tveit No award

by Anonymousreply 456August 25, 2021 10:03 PM

[quote] [R451] I could be wrong about this but I think it may have been several producers. And I think that Andrew Lloyd Webber expressed interest in buying it, too.

Cameron Mackintosh also tried to buy it. Pity he wasn’t successful. Say what you will about his talents as a producer, he’s an excellent landlord.

by Anonymousreply 457August 25, 2021 10:24 PM

Just out of screening of 9/11 families’ drama Worth. It’s in theaters on Friday and on Netflix September 3rd. Don’t be too surprised if next year we’ll be referring to Laura Benanti as Oscar nominee Laura Benanti. She’s excellent in it in a very showy role as a 9/11 widow. Definitely the kind of performance which gets Supporting Actress Oscar attention.

by Anonymousreply 458August 25, 2021 10:29 PM

Barring a miracle, I don't think we will ever get the Hellinger back. The current owners will likely never give it up.

by Anonymousreply 459August 25, 2021 10:29 PM

So there are no write-in votes allowed for the Tonys? I guess that means I have to abandon my campaign to get Andrew Cuomo back on track for his EGOT.

by Anonymousreply 460August 25, 2021 10:33 PM

I would rather there be something worth going into a Broadway theater for than getting back one more house where a POS musical no one wants to see will play.

by Anonymousreply 461August 25, 2021 10:34 PM

[quote]The individual awards are being presented on the Paramount Plus section of the show, so Aaron can at least take solace in the idea that if he doesn't win barely anyone will be watching. Only Best Musical, Best Play and Best Revival of a Play will be on CBS.

I hate to say it but I don't think Tveit losing the award on a streaming service is going to reduce the embarrassment for him very much. Even though we're talking about the Tonys here and not the Oscars, if he loses as the sole nominee, it will still be a major entertainment story with video of his loss getting replayed on news broadcasts all across the country for the next day or so. It will still be a very humiliating moment for him in front of the whole world, not just people who follow Broadway theater.

by Anonymousreply 462August 25, 2021 10:36 PM

[quote]So, tell me if I understand this correctly: Since none of the voters can vote for anyone else, as there are no other nominees, the only way Tveit would not get the award is if more than 40 percent of the voters abstain and don't vote (for him) at all?

Just a guess but this is how I'm thinking it works: if there are 100 voters and 60 of them vote yes, then Tveit wins. That's a majority right there, so it wouldn't really matter what the other 40 do -- vote no or say fuck it and not vote at all, it would still not be enough to overcome the 60, which is what he needs.

by Anonymousreply 463August 25, 2021 10:43 PM

THIS DAY IN BROADWAY HISTORY: In 1980, "42nd Street" opened at the Winter Garden Theatre.

by Anonymousreply 464August 25, 2021 11:05 PM

That opening night announcement of Gower Champion's death is still gut-wrenching.

by Anonymousreply 465August 25, 2021 11:30 PM

Merrick was an evil showman.

by Anonymousreply 466August 25, 2021 11:31 PM

What should Merrick have done? Announce it that afternoon and make it impossible to go through with the opening night?

by Anonymousreply 467August 25, 2021 11:40 PM

I know, r467.

by Anonymousreply 468August 25, 2021 11:44 PM

What was the backstage scene at 42nd Street like after David's little announcement? I wonder if one or two people felt like that was the last straw and knew they were going to get out when their contracts expired.

by Anonymousreply 469August 25, 2021 11:51 PM

R469, It took three people to revive Wanda Richert.

by Anonymousreply 470August 25, 2021 11:54 PM

You mean Rev Wanda, r470. She’s a self-ordained reverend and also a hardcore conservative loony now.

by Anonymousreply 471August 26, 2021 12:03 AM

I never thought she was *all that*.

by Anonymousreply 472August 26, 2021 12:13 AM

Richert was fucking Gower Champion and his son who was an assistant stage manager on the show. She was over-taxed.

by Anonymousreply 473August 26, 2021 12:22 AM

The whole story around Merrick holding back the news about Gower Champion's death until the curtain speech, and the rotten deal he made with Randy Skinner that very morning (getting him to sign a run-of-show contract to direct/choreograph any replacements and touring companies at scale) shows what a manipulative, scheming "showman" he really was. Randy had done all the work "in the style of Champion" plus he had choreographed all the tap numbers - something that Champion knew nothing about - just to keep the show on track until Champion returned from his sick leave. Opening night should have been Randy's last day of work, but no now knew the show like him and Merrick knew it. Thank good for good lawyers

by Anonymousreply 474August 26, 2021 12:23 AM

Randy Skinner did not choreograph 42ND STREET. All the numbers were choreographed before Gower went to the hospital. Gower Champion was not a tapper. Most Broadway choreographers have dance assistants. He hired Randy and Karin Baker because they were experts on tap of that era and could demonstrate steps to the cast. They showed him appropriate tap steps and he chose steps he could use in the numbers. Gower designed, constructed and programmed the numbers incorporating the tap combinations Randy and Karin showed him.

The contract thing is another matter.

by Anonymousreply 475August 26, 2021 12:43 AM

Gower & Marge

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 476August 26, 2021 12:54 AM

[quote]I hate to say it but I don't think Tveit losing the award on a streaming service is going to reduce the embarrassment for him very much. Even though we're talking about the Tonys here and not the Oscars, if he loses as the sole nominee, it will still be a major entertainment story with video of his loss getting replayed on news broadcasts all across the country for the next day or so. It will still be a very humiliating moment for him in front of the whole world, not just people who follow Broadway theater.

But, seriously, what are the chances that this will happen? Does anyone think SO MANY of the voters hated or were so unimpressed by Tveit's performance that they would actually abstain from voting and thereby cause him not to get the award due to a lack of enough votes? That seems extremely unlikely to me.

[quote]What should Merrick have done? Announce it that afternoon and make it impossible to go through with the opening night?

Others have suggested that Merrick could have waited till after the final curtain call, then announced Champion's death to the cast while they were all still onstage, and immediately have had the show's publicist issue a press release with news of the death. Or, for that matter, Merrick or someone else could have told the cast immediately after the final curtain, and at the same time, Merrick or someone else could have come onstage in front of the curtain and announced it to the audience, which would have at least prevented that awful moment of the audience watching the cast react in shock and horror to the announcement.

by Anonymousreply 477August 26, 2021 1:30 AM

Actually, the Neiderlanders offered to rent Cameron the Hellinger (taking it back from the church) for MISS SAIGON. Cameron wanted it, but in the end, felt a certain allegiance to the Shuberts and booked the Broadway instead.

by Anonymousreply 478August 26, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote]But, seriously, what are the chances that this will happen? Does anyone think SO MANY of the voters hated or were so unimpressed by Tveit's performance that they would actually abstain from voting and thereby cause him not to get the award due to a lack of enough votes? That seems extremely unlikely to me.

R477, my guess is that Tveit will not be denied the award. Even though I'm sure there were voters who didn't feel he actually gave the best leading musical performance by a male that season, I'm also sure not enough of them were willing to check "no" on the ballot and risk causing him any professional harm either, not to mention personal embarrassment. So yes, I predict he will get his Tony.

by Anonymousreply 479August 26, 2021 2:08 AM

"What a wonderful young actor he was. Just so very special. Beautiful. So talented.:

And I will never forget how he tsk-ed, tsk-ed during the second act of SITPWG 'cause he thought it was so awful (he was sitting behind me).

"Metropolitan is the worst for advertising “pay what you can” and then giving you a hassle if you don’t pay what they expect"

Never, not in my experience, and I've been several times since re-opening.

True artists subject to dictates as to whom they can select for their creative team? Laughable.

by Anonymousreply 480August 26, 2021 2:18 AM

Will there be a picture of Alice Ripley’s career in the In Memoriam presentation at the Tonys?

by Anonymousreply 481August 26, 2021 2:21 AM

R481, Yes, right next to Laura Osnes'.

by Anonymousreply 482August 26, 2021 2:25 AM

I have to say, I'm delighted by the idea of SUNSET BOULEVARD playing the Mark Hellinger ...

by Anonymousreply 483August 26, 2021 2:30 AM

I’ve read that people have horror stories about Wanda Richert yet no one ever posts anything. Anyone care to elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 484August 26, 2021 2:38 AM

She replaced Anita Morris in NINE. She took the sexiest role on Broadway and played it as a total ice princess.

Did not work.

by Anonymousreply 485August 26, 2021 2:50 AM

Wanda!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486August 26, 2021 2:52 AM

I saw her as Cassie in ACL on tour. She could dance peoples.

by Anonymousreply 487August 26, 2021 3:01 AM

Judging Blythe Danner and Judith Ivey's FOLLIES performances by YouTube videos of their final numbers is misguided.

I saw the production 3 times. Its faults were several, to say the least, but I found plenty to like -- particularly the acting by both Danner and Ivey. Both women gave detailed, fascinating performances.

Ivey never begged for your sympathy (you might say she was the anti-Peters in that regard) and revealed more about Sally each time she took the stage. Vocally she was passable at best, which in this of all roles was a real shame. (Hearing her struggle through the final bars of "Too Many Mornings" was sad.) But I've never seen another Sally land lines like "Since when?" with greater depth. So I'm glad I saw her.

Danner was superb. She looked stunning, and she flooded her lines with detail and color. The speech before "Leave You?" was particularly memorable, but in fact many of her imaginative line readings stick with me to this day, 20 years later. "Lucy and Jessie" looked less clumsy from the audience than through a merciless pirate camera, but I'll agree it still didn't work. What infuriates me are claims that she "couldn't sing." She couldn't manage the last syllable of "Sweetheart, I have to conFESS," but otherwise she was on pitch with an appealing, dusky color, and I really enjoyed her singing. (I'm guessing most of you know why her voice -- both speaking and singing -- has been so distinctively husky for so long. Doesn't mean she can't sing.)

Gregory Harrison looked OK (the goatee didn't do him any favors) and sang well, but nothing of Ben Stone came through. Treat Williams did what he could but was miscast. (Michael McGrath at Encores! and Danny Burstein in the later revival were much more right for it.)

Polly Bergen was pretty wonderful at the early preview I saw; subsequent performances found her backphrasing more and more and more, which I found maddening. Joan Roberts was worth the price of admission -- one great casting choice that caught the FOLLIES "thing" ideally. Betty Garrett was a whole lot of nothing. Carol Woods (consistently loathed by John Simon) sounded great and was a lot of fun.

The young quartet was absolutely superb -- hands down the best I've ever seen, and anyone who says Kathleen Marshall doesn't know how to stage a memorable musical number didn't pay attention to "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow"/"Love'll See Us Through," right down to the final bars.

By the 3rd time I saw it, Marni Nixon had replaced Joan Roberts; she was quite good, as was unknown Kelli O'Hara when she graduated from Young Hattie to Young Phyllis.

by Anonymousreply 488August 26, 2021 3:03 AM

Did John Simon pan Carol Woods in One Mo’ Time. He probably panned her in Follies because he thought she was a racially incorrect choice for Stella.

by Anonymousreply 489August 26, 2021 3:07 AM

Merrick made 20th Century-Fox pay another million to get the movie [italic]Hello, Dolly![/italic] out before it closed on Broadway. That ended up being the difference between profit and loss. This was after he had already led the backlash against them for not hiring him to do it.

Even Jerry Herman called him "the antichrist."

by Anonymousreply 490August 26, 2021 3:08 AM

Wanda left ACL on broadway to have a baby and when she returned it was as an understudy which must have been painful for her. She was a wonderful Cassie because, unlike some of the others who have played the role, she really did stand out and pulled focus so she was totally believable.

by Anonymousreply 491August 26, 2021 3:12 AM

I don't recall him saying she "would have to do as Stella", r489.

by Anonymousreply 492August 26, 2021 3:12 AM

Wanda's MatM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493August 26, 2021 3:16 AM

That was exceptional. She sang and danced it well enough but also really made you feel for her.

by Anonymousreply 494August 26, 2021 3:31 AM

She was the real deal. She could sing and dance and act.

by Anonymousreply 495August 26, 2021 3:35 AM

Why wouldn't Aaron Tveit win? Is he hugely disliked by the community?

Other than the usual cunts on here badmouthing him, I've never heard that Tveit is that unpopular. It seems very unlikely that he wouldn't win.

I think Jane Krakowski is great and she certainly could play Dolly...Dolly really isn't that uncastable. You just need someone who can carry a tune and play comedy and has some kind of Presence....you need a Star personality.

But, I don't really see her as Carlotta...Carlotta is dark and earthy and Krakowski is too airy.

by Anonymousreply 496August 26, 2021 3:36 AM

Why didn't Champion ever direct any movie musicals, maybe Mame? He only did one movie and it was a colossal flop but his background was in movies so he should have had the ability.

by Anonymousreply 497August 26, 2021 3:39 AM

Maybe it's me, r495, but I didn't find her particularly compelling in either 42nd Street or Chorus Line.

by Anonymousreply 498August 26, 2021 3:40 AM

Gene Saks directed LucyMAME after having done it on Broadway. He had had some successes in film, mostly of Neil Simon plays.

by Anonymousreply 499August 26, 2021 3:41 AM

Saks was a replacement for Cukor and also Mr. Bea Arthur. She suggests that he essentially forced her to do it because he wouldn't get the gig without her.

by Anonymousreply 500August 26, 2021 3:42 AM

It probably destroyed their marriage.

by Anonymousreply 501August 26, 2021 3:44 AM

Wanda at R486 is strenuously unsexy. And shout-y.

That number feels more like a pelvic exam in a woman's prison than a sexy romp.

by Anonymousreply 502August 26, 2021 3:49 AM

[quote]That number feels more like a pelvic exam in a woman's prison than a sexy romp.

Gee, R502, tell us how you *really* feel....

by Anonymousreply 503August 26, 2021 3:57 AM

He did, R503, so you wasted energy on a feeble stock retort.

by Anonymousreply 504August 26, 2021 3:58 AM

My brother-in-law is a Tony nominator. He did not vote for Tveit, opting instead that “no award in this category shall be given.”

by Anonymousreply 505August 26, 2021 4:48 AM

R505, Gee, he sounds like lots of fun.

by Anonymousreply 506August 26, 2021 4:53 AM

R485, Have to wonder how bad Jenna Elfman was to have been denied being Jane's replacement in the revival.

by Anonymousreply 507August 26, 2021 5:03 AM

Does Aaron Tveit have any baggage? Is he a Republican, or an anti-vaxxer?

by Anonymousreply 508August 26, 2021 5:04 AM

"Does Aaron Tveit have any baggage?"

Other than those premature jowls?

by Anonymousreply 509August 26, 2021 5:09 AM

Aaron’s baggage is he was the only major cast member not nominated for Next to Normal, and then couldn’t make Catch Me if You Can a Broadway hit.

by Anonymousreply 510August 26, 2021 5:17 AM

Tveit? Sounds Russian to me. No Tony for you.

by Anonymousreply 511August 26, 2021 5:28 AM

At one point Champion was going to direct the film of Birdie and a film of Carnival! but both projects fell through.

by Anonymousreply 512August 26, 2021 5:34 AM

r484 Richert has been behaving oddly for a while now. She had some public breakdown/argument with her daughter on twitter or facebook (which DL followed obsessively) She sounded really crazy.

Then she became religious and a Trump fanatic.

I followed her on twitter and she followed me back. I barely use twitter and have like 6 followers. I noticed she was removed from Twitter in that big sweep they did after Jan. 6th. They removed tons of people who endorsed the uprising and she was one of them.

by Anonymousreply 513August 26, 2021 5:39 AM

R508, Even if Aaron does win, the circumstances surrounding his win will always be remembered and cited in the future.

by Anonymousreply 514August 26, 2021 5:40 AM

[quote]Does Aaron Tveit have any baggage? Is he a Republican, or an anti-vaxxer?

Last year he was paired romantically in a Hallmark Channel Christmas movie with notorious anti-vaxxer Laura Osnes.

by Anonymousreply 515August 26, 2021 5:41 AM

Uh oh . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516August 26, 2021 5:47 AM

It premiers on fucking Halloween? Is that how early Christmas is beginning this year???

by Anonymousreply 517August 26, 2021 5:49 AM

That movie was from last year, R517, but I do think Hallmark rolls out their Christmas movies starting in October. Actually, it already showed some of this year's batch during its "Christmas in July" event last month.

by Anonymousreply 518August 26, 2021 5:53 AM

Why can’t we just judge people on merit?

by Anonymousreply 519August 26, 2021 6:06 AM

A few years ago, Aaron's hometown of Middletown, NY named a street after him, with a glitzy ceremony.

Several days later, the street sign was stolen and had to be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 520August 26, 2021 6:09 AM

[quote]R519 Why can’t we just judge people on merit?

Because that’s never been how it’s done. You think it would suddenly work all of a sudden?

Or are you saying people of color really aren’t as talented as whites and that’s what kept them out of most shows for so long? They lacked merit?

by Anonymousreply 521August 26, 2021 6:39 AM

r514 That's why they invented asterisks.

by Anonymousreply 522August 26, 2021 6:43 AM

R520 Aaron had his own set of teen stalkers from Next to Normal, luckily he knew better then to get involved with them.

by Anonymousreply 523August 26, 2021 6:47 AM

R523, I have it on good authority that some nights he did not leave the stage door area alone.

by Anonymousreply 524August 26, 2021 6:50 AM

How do we think Dilys felt on Tony night in 1970?

Nominee Nominated Work

Lauren Bacall Applause Katharine Hepburn Coco Dilys Watling Georgy

by Anonymousreply 525August 26, 2021 7:07 AM

r524

who did he leave with? a girl or guy?

by Anonymousreply 526August 26, 2021 11:18 AM

Or a r524?

by Anonymousreply 527August 26, 2021 11:22 AM

Jane K is the epitome of a second banana. Has she ever carried a show as a lead?

by Anonymousreply 528August 26, 2021 11:47 AM

I have to say that I loved Blythe Danner as an ingenue (She was a superb Nina in THE SEAGULL and as the lead in ECCENTRICITIES OF A NIGHTINGALE) but always disappointing as a leading lady. I always had high hopes for her, and was excited by seeing her in BLITHE SPIRIT, but she was, sadly, colorless. Ever since then, I expected so much more than I got. Certainly, FOLLIES was a good example of this. The poster above thought she was great in it, but I have to disagree, and I think most of the reviews said the same. I didn't even mind her dancing as much as her one note performance. Anyway, different strokes...

by Anonymousreply 529August 26, 2021 1:05 PM

Blythe Danner was an excellent type for Phyllis. At every moment, she looked like Phyllis. She had the studied elegance and refinement of Phyllis. But, being an actress, Blythe Danner had undoubtedly climbed that very same ladder. She knows it well.

What she lacked was some fire behind her ice.

No one is ever going to do it as well as Alexis Smith. All the polishing she got from the Hollywood studio system served her well in playing a woman who is always completely under control. Until she just can't be any longer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 530August 26, 2021 1:17 PM

Watched the Wanda Richert clip above and was unimpressed, except for the dancing itself. Obviously, no one is Donna MacKechnie, but I would love to see what Ann Reinking did with it.

by Anonymousreply 531August 26, 2021 1:25 PM

[quote]Jane K is the epitome of a second banana. Has she ever carried a show as a lead?

She was great in DAMN YANKEES at Encores! Too bad it was such a limited run.

[quote]I think Jane Krakowski is great and she certainly could play Dolly...Dolly really isn't that uncastable. You just need someone who can carry a tune and play comedy and has some kind of Presence....you need a Star personality.

Jane sings far better than just "carrying a tune," and she is a very talented comic actress, and she has brilliant stage presence -- but she's still the wrong type for Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 532August 26, 2021 1:25 PM

[quote]...but she's still the wrong type for Dolly.

That's okay. LOTS of women have played this role who were the wrong type. I would never dream of Martha Raye as Dolly, but the NY Times raved about her performance and the soundboard recordings of her on YouTube back that up. I would never expect Dolly to take off her skirt in the middle of the show, but Ann Miller did it and it was great. If an actress can play the scenes to Ephraim and win over the audience, then she's the right type for Dolly. If she can't play those scenes honestly and affectingly, then the last bit of Thornton Wilder is lost and the evening will sink.

[quote] I would love to see what Ann Reinking did with it.

She sang it like William Warfield and acted it like a slab of drywall. But if you liked her dancing, then she did that pretty well.

by Anonymousreply 533August 26, 2021 1:36 PM

R533, I guess you and I have very different ideas on what is or isn't required for the role of Dolly. And I can't imagine why you would never dream of Martha Raye in the role. To repeat, I think the MAIN requirement for the part is a an outsize, quirky personality, and she certainly had that.

To me, the one who sounds like questionable casting as Dolly is Ginger Rogers, and indeed, from all reports, she was not very good in the role.

by Anonymousreply 534August 26, 2021 1:44 PM

I'd never seen Wanda Richert until R493's clip (I'm not American), but I don't get the enthusiasm.

She seriously can't act, to the point where the dialogue sounds dated and melodramatic, and while she can certainly make the shapes when dancing (she has backward dips lower than McKechnie's), there isn't the balance and discipline that makes McKechnie so much better. Once she revs up, her dancing is like LuPone's lyric-singing - slurred with the steps not properly articulated one from the other. Maybe Richert was aiming to show that Cassie was carried away by desperation, but the point of the number is Cassie showing Zach again just what a great dancer she is, so being all over the place isn't going to achieve that.

by Anonymousreply 535August 26, 2021 1:44 PM

Like this, R531.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536August 26, 2021 1:47 PM

R532, That Encores! production of Damn Yankees was exceptionally good, shame it did not transfer to Broadway.

The entire cast was excellent, Jane, Sean, Cheyenne, etc.

Fortunately, there's a boot of nearly commercial quality in circulation to preserve it.

by Anonymousreply 537August 26, 2021 1:57 PM

[quote]BUSINESS INSIDER: "I'm a professional 'Hamilton' actor. This is what Broadway's 18-month shutdown — and return — has been like." by Business Insider's Iris Dorbian - ""There is so much to wonder about," [Fergie L.] Philippe said. "We're ready to perform again, but it's not the theater we left. People in the audience will be wearing masks. We're going into something new." As the reopening looms nearer, Philippe does have one fervent wish. "I told my family to wait until November [to come]," he laughed. "I'm scared I'm going to forget my lines, my choreography, I'm going to fall off the stage. I told them, 'Please come three months later when I'm used to it again.'"

I like the way he describes himself as a "professional 'Hamilton' actor" (is that different from other acting?) but then also says he's worried he'll forget how to do his job. Such a pro.

by Anonymousreply 538August 26, 2021 1:57 PM

R534, Merrick hired Ginger more for her name value than her talent, she was never a very good singer.

Martha had a beef with Jerry Herman because he never came to see her in the show, but I believe he was ill and even hospitalized during her run.

by Anonymousreply 539August 26, 2021 2:01 PM

Cheyenne Jackson was perfect casting for Superman/Clark Kent.

We used to talk about him all the time on these threads.

by Anonymousreply 540August 26, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote]the MAIN requirement for the part is a an outsize, quirky personality

I might have thought "damned fine stage actress" would be the MAIN requirement.

by Anonymousreply 541August 26, 2021 2:06 PM

Carol and Ginger @ 3:20.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542August 26, 2021 2:12 PM

" Dolly will never go away....." Why didn't anyone think of this surefire box office bonanza?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543August 26, 2021 2:12 PM

[quote]I like the way he describes himself as a "professional 'Hamilton' actor" (is that different from other acting?) but then also says he's worried he'll forget how to do his job. Such a pro.

I had the same reaction. I mean, the show HAS gone back into rehearsal in advance of its reopening. If this guy was in the show previously, it's not as if he has to remember all the lyrics and dance steps from a year and a half ago without lots of opportunity to brush up.

by Anonymousreply 544August 26, 2021 2:22 PM

[quote]Cheyenne Jackson was perfect casting for Superman/Clark Kent. We used to talk about him all the time on these threads.

He had magnificent thighs, but they couldn't last forever.

by Anonymousreply 545August 26, 2021 2:33 PM

Damn Yankees would have had the same "long" run that the Encores! Finian's Rainbow had. Meaning none. That trio in Yankees was not a BO winner either. Sean Hayes proved he wasn't a draw in Promises Promises. Same with Finian. No star power.

by Anonymousreply 546August 26, 2021 2:59 PM

Did Jerry Orbach take a swing at Merrick after the curtain came down? Somebody should have.

by Anonymousreply 547August 26, 2021 3:00 PM

Hello Ginge!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548August 26, 2021 3:03 PM

R526- As far as his romantic life, Tveit has never been associated with a person of the opposite sex. Does that answer your query, dearie?

by Anonymousreply 549August 26, 2021 3:05 PM

All I remember hearing was that the choreography didn't really fit Ann's body.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550August 26, 2021 3:15 PM

R529 Yes, Blythe Danner in a show is like ordering mole sauce at a Mexican restaurant -- most of the time you anticipate it being better than how it actually ends up being.

by Anonymousreply 551August 26, 2021 3:28 PM

R549, When he starred in Company at the Barrington in the Berkshires in 2017, he rented a house for 6 weeks next door to a friend of mine for himself and his dog. No visitors, kept to himself.

He may be asexual, a la Hugh Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 552August 26, 2021 3:31 PM

[quote]Blythe Danner in a show is like ordering mole sauce at a Mexican restaurant

Yes r551. So you told us at r217.

by Anonymousreply 553August 26, 2021 3:40 PM

Just seeing if you were paying attention. There's actually one little hole in the wall Mexican restaurant that does make a great mole sauce in Manhattan that doesn't disappoint. Maybe I'll the get the mole chicken enchiladas later this week. So how did Blythe get the husky voice -- always sounded like nodes to me at its worst years ago. Didn't she start off as a soprano many years ago?

by Anonymousreply 554August 26, 2021 4:00 PM

STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT MOLE!

by Anonymousreply 555August 26, 2021 4:02 PM

Fosca had a mole in "Passion", and it should have been removed.

by Anonymousreply 556August 26, 2021 4:06 PM

Blythe has that damaged voice from yelling at Gwyneth so much.

“You named your baby Apple? WTF kind of name is that? I raised you New England patrician. Do you see any Apples coming over on the Mayflower? You know I have a secret pact with Williamstown that they will always give me the roles I want to play. If they cancel that pact, you’re going to be Joan Crawforded right out of my will.”

by Anonymousreply 557August 26, 2021 4:12 PM

Blythe Danner has always been a much bigger star on DL than in any, ahem, more conventional universe.

I like the old broad, but there's a weird recurring notion on here that she was some supernova talent who was deterred only by her family and the fickle finger of fate. Or something.

by Anonymousreply 558August 26, 2021 4:21 PM

Danner made sure to do one very smart thing. She married within the business.

When one gets press, the other gets press. When one makes an appearance, the other makes an appearance. Openings. Charity galas. Picket lines. And on and on. The synergy is very valuable.

Marry someone who is not in the business, and you're on your own about publicity.

by Anonymousreply 559August 26, 2021 4:31 PM

[quote] Marry someone who is not in the business, and you're on your own about publicity.

OMG! Catherine Zeta Jones posts on DataLounge!

by Anonymousreply 560August 26, 2021 4:38 PM

[quote]He may be asexual, a la Hugh Jackman.

Please. Jackman is gay. Being in the closet and trying too hard to seem straight doesn't make someone asexual.

by Anonymousreply 561August 26, 2021 4:56 PM

As to who Aaron Tveit is or isn't dating, maybe he isn't.

Maybe he's too gassy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 562August 26, 2021 4:58 PM

CHICAGO revival back on Bway: 25 years young!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563August 26, 2021 5:24 PM

[quote]Fosca had a mole in "Passion", and it should have been removed.

Triggered.

by Anonymousreply 564August 26, 2021 5:31 PM

Weren't there rumors of Jean Smart and Sigourney Weaver being approached for Phyllis in that 2001 Follies? They turned them down, of course, but they'd have been so much better. Weaver even reminds me of Alexis Smith a bit.

by Anonymousreply 565August 26, 2021 5:34 PM

She woulda danced the hell outta L&J, r565!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566August 26, 2021 5:49 PM

R561, If one posts even a mildly negative comment for one of the endless Daily Mail stories on the idyllic Jackman marriage, it will be deleted within minutes due to complaints from his adoring frau fans.

by Anonymousreply 567August 26, 2021 5:51 PM

The one, the true Fosca...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568August 26, 2021 6:13 PM

What about Arlene Dahl’s mole? Or was that just a beauty mark?

by Anonymousreply 569August 26, 2021 6:18 PM

R416 has the most cogent statement I've read.

by Anonymousreply 570August 26, 2021 6:48 PM

Sorry, r570, tl:dr

by Anonymousreply 571August 26, 2021 7:08 PM

That's a fun scene at R566, but Hope Davis is a bit broad in the beam (shall we say) to be playing Slim Keith. Even my beloved Sigourney looks a little...ample as Babe Paley in that unflattering dress. They're Capote's swans, not Purdue oven-stuffer roasters.

And is that supposed to be.... me?

by Anonymousreply 572August 26, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote]CHICAGO revival back on Bway: 25 years young!

Feels like 50.

by Anonymousreply 573August 26, 2021 7:25 PM

Tveit has a really solid career for someone who's talented but not very special. He works all the time, big TV roles and theater.

by Anonymousreply 574August 26, 2021 7:28 PM

It’s because he has something else that’s big besides his TV roles, r574.

by Anonymousreply 575August 26, 2021 7:33 PM

His hair?

by Anonymousreply 576August 26, 2021 7:35 PM

[quote] Martha had a beef with Jerry Herman because he never came to see her in the show, but I believe he was ill and even hospitalized during her run.

Jerry did see her. He was indeed hospitalized when she opened, but got there about three weeks later. Raye treated him with contempt. “Oh, so now you show up. Where were you on my opening?” Jerry explained he had been in the hospital. “That’s no excuse,” Raye said.

She was the only one of the Broadway Dollys that he didn’t have anything good to say about.

by Anonymousreply 577August 26, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote]Arlene Dahl’s mole

My new band name

by Anonymousreply 578August 26, 2021 7:39 PM

Three new musicals getting staged readings at my local regional theater:

Angels of the Southern Accents

Music & Lyrics by Rus McCoy

MTW's "Raise Your Voice Playwright Competition" Winner! Margaret Mitchell, author of "Gone With The Wind" had a secret held for over 40 years after her death. She was married to two men, Red Upshaw and John Marsh, who were best friends in college and had a secret of their own. Her closest confidant was her maid, Bessie Jordan, who challenged her White privilege. Finally, there was Benjamin Mays, President of the prestigious Black university, Morehouse College that led Mitchell down a controversial path that could ruin her reputation. The only thing more dramatic than her novel, was her life...

The Importance of Being Earnest - A Wilde New Musical

Music by Bret Simmons

Book & Lyrics by David Howard

With mistaken identities, sudden engagements and outrageous coincidences, Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest has delighted audiences for over a century, and is undoubtedly one of the funniest plays ever written. And how best to bring this timeless comedy into its next century than by adding the one thing it lacks, music! This delightful musical illuminates Wilde’s play through songs filled with his biting, cynical wit; brilliant social commentary; and soaring heart-felt romance.

On This Side of the World

Music & Lyrics by Paulo K. Tiról

On This Side of the World gives voice to Filipino immigrants navigating old lives and new beginnings, as a one-way ticket sends them on a journey 8,000 miles from home. Through glorious harmony, touching lyrics, and hummable tunes, Paulo K Tiról’s sung-through love letter to the Filipino-American dream takes you on a journey and will have you longing for more!

I've never heard of any of these people.

by Anonymousreply 579August 26, 2021 7:44 PM

Suddenly everyone in the world is writing a musical, it seems. Good for your regional theatre for encouraging new work, at least.

[quote]Angels of the Southern Accents

The first one sounds potentially interesting, but OY. That title! The worst.

Hasn't ERNEST been musicalized several times without success? No matter.

by Anonymousreply 580August 26, 2021 8:05 PM

R577, I believe he expressed minor disappointment in Betty Grable's Dolly in his autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 581August 26, 2021 8:18 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582August 26, 2021 8:22 PM

Gee, if we still had summer stock circuits like the Kenley Players and the various Music Fairs and Civic Light Operas, we could perhaps see Jane K as Dolly. (I saw Eva Gabor in ALNM at Kenley. She was... Not Good -- and forgot the lyrics to Send In The Clowns halfway through. But Ethel Barrymore Colt was great as Madame Armfeldt. No memory of who else was in the cast.)

by Anonymousreply 583August 26, 2021 8:36 PM

For R583

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584August 26, 2021 8:40 PM

The role Eva Gabor was born to play! Ten years later, Kenley did ALNM again with Polaroid spokeswoman Mariette Hartley as Desiree. A step up? A step down? Hard to say.

by Anonymousreply 585August 26, 2021 9:45 PM

Why wasn’t this paywalled, usually it gets that way by the early 500 at least?

by Anonymousreply 586August 26, 2021 9:45 PM

Gimme a fucking minute r586, I'm in the middle of my mani-pedi.

That you assholes pay for.

by Anonymousreply 587August 26, 2021 9:47 PM

Paywalling is classist, racist, and elitist, R586. Paywalling merely enforces the socioeconomic status quo and social injustice.

by Anonymousreply 588August 26, 2021 9:48 PM

Let's create a title for the next thread NOW. So there will be less bitching later.

by Anonymousreply 589August 26, 2021 9:54 PM

Good luck with that, r589. And yes, r580, Earnest has been musicalized before.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590August 26, 2021 9:57 PM

"A Wicked Man" is also a fine number from "Ernest in Love" as well. It's a serviceable and fun score.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591August 26, 2021 10:06 PM

It really is, r591.

by Anonymousreply 592August 26, 2021 10:08 PM

RIP Broadway composer Micki Grant. Your songs were the best part of Working”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593August 26, 2021 10:19 PM

But her arms were too short to box with God. Where did she wind up?

by Anonymousreply 594August 26, 2021 10:20 PM

Wrestling with Bruno Sammartini?

by Anonymousreply 595August 26, 2021 10:25 PM

The end is nigh!

by Anonymousreply 596August 26, 2021 10:29 PM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597August 26, 2021 10:32 PM

Whoop-Up!

by Anonymousreply 598August 26, 2021 10:33 PM

Ginger Rogers had songs written for her by Vincent Youmans, Irving Berlin, Harry Warren and George Gershwin. Who the fuck wrote songs for you?

by Anonymousreply 599August 26, 2021 10:34 PM

Well, they were written adjacent to her is more like it.

by Anonymousreply 600August 26, 2021 10:35 PM

The one...the only...

𝓑𝓐𝓙𝓞𝓤𝓡!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 601August 26, 2021 10:39 PM

OP here. Have no fear! I will not be starting another thread.

by Anonymousreply 602August 26, 2021 11:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!