Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Piedmont Murder, Part 3

Part 2 has been paywalled. Continue talking about the murder of Katie Janness and her pitbull, Bowie here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 18, 2023 4:35 PM

Link to part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1August 14, 2021 1:28 PM

I saw that it had been paywalled.

OP already grayed out? Why?

by Anonymousreply 2August 14, 2021 2:03 PM

What in the hot buttered fuck is going on with these threads?

by Anonymousreply 3August 14, 2021 2:10 PM

This may have been mentioned already:

[quote]According to a post on the app NextDoor, "A mentally ill man hacked another up with a machete a few weeks ago in the park." Our 11Alive VERIFY team took that claim to the Atlanta Police to find out more.

[quote]"Other than the recent murder in the park there was one recent (aggravated) assault with a knife in early July," a Public Information Officer with Atlanta Police said.

[quote]He went on to explain that the aggravated assault on July 4 was someone with a knife and the attack was described as a "poke". The suspect in that case was arrested on scene.

[quote]So, according to Atlanta Police, there has not been a machete attack in Piedmont Park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4August 14, 2021 4:37 PM

I think the threads get paywalled when they get popular. M probably thinks they’ll generate a few bucks.

As for getting greyed out, I’ll never understand why some people care enough to downvote that much. I leave the obsessive threads alone if I don’t care about the topic.

by Anonymousreply 5August 15, 2021 11:17 AM

[quote]The lack of new information coming out in the stabbing of Midtown resident Katie Janness is frustrating some residents, especially females who worry the attacker may still be in the Piedmont Park area.

[quote]"Atlanta has never seen a case quite like this one," said Vincent Velazquez, a former homicide detective. "People have to understand the detectives, and I know many of them personally, are hard at work trying to check everything out."

[quote]Velazquez believes the silence from investigators is due in part because they have not progressed far enough in the investigation to put additional information out, such as a composite.

[quote]"I would have expected one to be released by now if they had a hard description," Velazquez added.

[quote]The former detective investigated and closed a similar case, a cold case, back in 2004.

[quote]Velazquez urges patience. He said he is confident police will ultimately be able to find the Piedmont Park killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 16, 2021 12:14 AM

This reminds me of the Karina Vetrano case. She was sexually assaulted and murdered while on a run in a wooded area near her home. Her father was expecting her home at a certain time and went looking for her when she was half an hour late. He pulled some local strings to get cops out looking for her. He was there when her body was discovered. I thought it was very fishy the way it all happened.

A mentally disturbed weirdo was convicted of her murder, but there were calls for an appeal because some people thought the murder was pinned on him because he was black in an Italian neighborhood.

I still think there was weird stuff with the father (in photos they look like lovers, not father/daughter) and why he went looking for her immediately, just as Katie’s gf did.

You can’t imagine that they’re the murderers, but it’s just weird. They are immediately alarmed and go looking and are the ones to find their dead loved ones in a park.

by Anonymousreply 7August 16, 2021 12:39 AM

Sounds like my mom…

She literally texted my brother and told him if he didn’t call her she would assume he died of covid (he was pretty sick and hadn’t responded in a day) and get a welfare check.

Some people have loved ones that are overprotective worriers.

by Anonymousreply 8August 16, 2021 12:45 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9August 17, 2021 11:42 PM

[quote]Atlanta residents are working to ensure the murder of Katie Janness doesn’t go cold and her name isn’t forgotten.

[quote]Chris McKinley didn’t know Janness but he told CBS46 that he’s thought about the 40-year-old daily since her gruesome murder nearly a month ago.

[quote]“I’ve been counting the number of days she hasn’t been in the news and it’s getting a little stagnant,” McKinley said. “We have to stand up for her because she is no longer with us.”

[quote]Janness and her dog, Bowie, were found stabbed to death inside Piedmont Park on July 28. As of Wednesday, the Atlanta Police Department had no new leads to share with the public. The last update the department issued on the case was two weeks ago when a jogger in released surveillance images came forward.

[quote]“The point is you should be able to walk in your park and not worry and feel safe, and that’s just not the case right now,” McKinley said. “There’s not one person I’ve talked to that feels safe walking in the park.”

[quote]Wanting to add some community pressure, McKinley created signs that people have been putting in their yards to make sure Janness isn’t forgotten.

[quote]“I felt yard signs would be the best solutions because if they’re on private property they cannot be removed,” he explained.

[quote]The message behind the signs is two-fold: To show love and support for Janness’ family and to let APD and city leaders know that the community not only wants answers in this case, but real solutions to the overall crime in Atlanta.

[quote]“We shouldn’t be reacting to crime,” McKinley said. “We should actually prevent the crime. So, we need solutions that are actually effective and going to work, and are utilizing our tax dollars in the most economically, but functionally and useful way for community safety.”

[quote]Janness’ family released the following statement to CBS46 in response the community-led awareness campaign:

[italic]“We are deeply moved by the continued effort of the community to keep this tragic senseless murder of our beautiful kind Katie on the news as much as possible. Solving this crime will take a monster off the street leading to a safer Atlanta.[/italic]

[italic]We also want to thank the Atlanta Police Department and the FBI and other law enforcement agencies who are working tirelessly to bring justice in this horrific crime.”[/italic]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 20, 2021 7:12 PM

Did police find and speak with the guy with the cane?

Thank you to OP for thread.

by Anonymousreply 11August 20, 2021 7:18 PM

I think she died of heatstroke.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2021 5:19 AM

That’s genuinely funny, R12.

Why is the OP grayed out? Jesus, there are some loser freaks on this site.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2021 5:58 AM

Not heatstroke, algae.

Not sorry about the pit bull though.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2021 6:12 AM

August 24, 2021

[quote]Katie Janness and her dog were killed inside the Midtown park on July 27. Her partner found her body by the Charles Allen entrance off 10th Street. She was stabbed to death, police said. But the attack went beyond even that. It was what police refer to as an overkill.

[quote]The assailant used an instrument to carve a message on the torso of Jahnness.

[quote]In the potential message killing of Ms. Janness, police sources have told FOX 5 what was carved into her torso. Police do not want that information revealed because deputy chief Charles Hampton, said, "there are details that only the killer would know about."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15August 24, 2021 9:42 PM

Can someone explain this to me... how is the decades old murder they're comparing Katie to a cold case if the killer is in prison?

[quote]The action brought to mind an old case involving a different female victim investigated by former homicide detective Vincent Velazquez. That body was discovered in east Atlanta along Flat Shoals Road.

[quote]"The killer carved an initial ‘V’ on the forehead of the woman," Velazquez said. "He demonstrated a hatred of women and was diagnosed with a mental illness."

[quote]The former detective said the victim's first name was Valerie. That killer is locked up and was in prison on the night that Katie was killed.

by Anonymousreply 16August 24, 2021 9:44 PM

This mean the original reports of having something carved into her body were correct. Were there any other details reported that police had the media retract?

by Anonymousreply 17August 24, 2021 10:39 PM

R15/16 — did you misread the thing you quoted? They call it an “old case” not a “cold case”.

by Anonymousreply 18August 25, 2021 1:41 AM

That detail is utterly horrifying. The whole thing is. I have felt all along that it may not be solved, at least for years.

by Anonymousreply 19August 25, 2021 2:07 AM

Wow, yes, I did read it wrong, R18., thank you.

by Anonymousreply 20August 25, 2021 10:40 AM

I just looked at the headline again and I didn’t read it wrong, it says “cold case.” Weird.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 25, 2021 12:29 PM

Who is Sandra Rose?

This have been so quiet, yesterday I searched for updated information and found what's posted at R15 and this quote at the end of an article about a difference bartender that was killed but there is no source provided and the page looks like a gossip blog.

[quote]Janness' girlfriend, Emma Clark, has since left Atlanta.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 25, 2021 3:21 PM

Sandra Rose is a blogger, mostly a gossip blogger. Who knows where she got the info on Emma leaving. Maybe she tried to contact her and was told she'd left Atlanta. I probably would, too.

by Anonymousreply 23August 25, 2021 3:26 PM

Wow, I just noticed all of my typos at R22.

by Anonymousreply 24August 25, 2021 3:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 30, 2021 1:19 AM

I have a terrible feeling this won't be solved.

by Anonymousreply 26August 30, 2021 4:16 AM

Thank god.

by Anonymousreply 27September 7, 2021 2:39 AM

Why is the OP greyed out?

by Anonymousreply 28September 7, 2021 2:41 AM

Any updates on this case? Why haven’t they arrested the clearly guilty girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 29September 7, 2021 2:42 AM

Welp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30September 7, 2021 2:48 AM

^Music Midtown [>>SHUDDER<<]...30,000 girls, wandering around Midtown in gangs, all dressed alike (e.g. for Coachella), drums pounding until 11 pm, loud enough to rattle the windows of every house within half a mile of the Park, NOWHERE to park a car for 3 fucking days. And the City gets NOTHING out of it, not a damn thing. Anyone in the neighborhood with sense will be far, far away that weekend. I am so glad I moved out of that fucking place over a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 31September 7, 2021 12:49 PM

LE has said no one has been ruled out, what could they mean by that one wonders?

by Anonymousreply 32September 7, 2021 2:59 PM

"We're on to you, butchie!"

by Anonymousreply 33September 7, 2021 3:10 PM

I'm glad they brought the FBI in early. Atlanta doesn't really fuck around with white people getting murdered. And yes, this weekend had like 4 super spreader events. The only one that seemed to make even an effort at safety was DragonCon, the nerdfest and let's be honest, most of those people have been quarantining all of their lives already,

by Anonymousreply 34September 7, 2021 3:18 PM

R32, it means the gf is looking to flee the country.

by Anonymousreply 35September 10, 2021 12:11 AM

Maybe so, R35. Reportedly, her father had been posting she had been cleared. but the LE statement was pretty direct. I hope they have evidence, I fear this is not going to be solved.

by Anonymousreply 36September 10, 2021 11:25 PM

A Vincent Velasquez conveniently solved a cold case where the victim had a “V” carved on her? And now interested in this new case?

DL Sleuths, assemble!

by Anonymousreply 37September 13, 2021 6:22 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2021 1:12 PM

I’m sure the girlfriend has already moved on.

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2021 2:00 PM

She has!

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2021 4:02 PM

She has?

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2021 4:18 PM

Moved on as in she moved out of Atlanta. Understandably.

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2021 5:52 PM

I wonder if this will ever be solved...

by Anonymousreply 43September 18, 2021 2:48 PM

It still baffles me. One would expect the killer to be dripping in blood. Did they bring a large plastic bag with a change of clothes?

by Anonymousreply 44September 18, 2021 8:42 PM

Any updates on this case?!

by Anonymousreply 45October 11, 2021 3:29 AM

From September 2, 2021:

[quote]Atlanta police held a private chat with a few select journalists to update them on the Piedmont Park murder case on Thursday.

[quote]According to CBS46 reporter Hayley Mason, Atlanta police dropped hints that someone close to Katherine Janness may be her killer.

[quote]”Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant tells me no one has been ruled out as a suspect in the Piedmont Park murder case. He says the case is still wide open and active. The department has faced challenges accessing video from park cameras and is still working to recover images."

[quote]More details have emerged since the 40-year-old bartender was brutally stabbed while walking her dog, Bowie, in Piedmont Park on July 28.

[quote]Police confirmed rumors that a slur was carved into Janness' body and her head was nearly severed during the attack.

[quote]Audio of the 911 call placed by Janness' partner, Emma Clark, cast suspicion on her.

[quote]Twitter users noted how "calm" Clark sounded during the phone call. Clark told a bystander, "Did you just see that? That's my f***ing girlfriend." A GoFundMe account raised more than $70,000 for Clark who has since left Atlanta.

[quote]PETA offered $10,000 for information leading to the killer(s), in addition to the $10,000 already offered by the Atlanta Police Department.

Note: this is a blog, not a news source. R22 also mentions this blog.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46October 11, 2021 7:29 PM

Emma Clark’s father is a Fayetteville City Councilman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 11, 2021 7:30 PM

So either bring a gun on your walks or a big fat heavy baseball bat. The knife you they have to get close enough. Swing away!

Time to start assembling CYA baseball leagues.

by Anonymousreply 48October 11, 2021 7:36 PM

A nearly severed head suggests a pretty strong killer, no?

by Anonymousreply 49October 11, 2021 10:33 PM

I would think so, R49. The girlfriend just does not look like she is physically capable of it. I am not ruling out she had someone else do it.

by Anonymousreply 50October 11, 2021 10:54 PM

Rage is a powerful thing. Dykes are full of rage.

by Anonymousreply 51October 13, 2021 7:39 AM

I don’t think she’s physically capable but the girlfriend leaving town with GoFundMe money is suspect. Having a father involved in local politics could be beneficial if she’s involved.

by Anonymousreply 52October 13, 2021 12:40 PM

Dyke drama.

by Anonymousreply 53October 14, 2021 3:21 AM

Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 54November 4, 2021 8:07 AM

Not really.

by Anonymousreply 55November 4, 2021 8:47 AM

[quote] PHOTOS: Remembering Katie Janness

Does this remembrance include a vacuum and tasteful Autumnal decor that telegraphs a respectful mourning period is occuring?

by Anonymousreply 56November 5, 2021 4:00 AM

Girlfriend has problem already replaced her and us living with another dyke.

by Anonymousreply 57November 5, 2021 5:24 PM

Go home, you're drunk.

by Anonymousreply 58November 5, 2021 5:46 PM

From October 28:

[quote]Officials have kept the investigation very quiet, saying only that they have identified possible witnesses to her death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59November 5, 2021 10:31 PM

She looked kinda like a man.

by Anonymousreply 60November 6, 2021 9:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 14, 2021 1:42 AM

[Quote] At least 15 of the cuts were on Janness' face

It was personal.

by Anonymousreply 62November 14, 2021 1:47 AM

[Quote] The letters "F," "A" and "T" were also found etched onto her chest

No wonder someone kept greying out the OP's of these threads. The killer is a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 63November 14, 2021 1:48 AM

Horrifying

by Anonymousreply 64November 14, 2021 1:55 AM

I still think that dude with the cane had blood on his tank top. Maybe he’s the witness?

It sounds like it was personal. If it wasn’t the girlfriend, it was the third in a love triangle.

by Anonymousreply 65November 14, 2021 2:04 AM

Wow. Thank you for posting that, R61.

There are more details in the article below:

[quote]The report reveled disturbing details as to the manner of Janness' injuries. [...] as well as significant mutilation to her upper torso.

[…]

[quote]Investigators believe it is almost a certainty Janness' dog, Bowie, engaged with the killer to protect his owner. Authorities were examining the animal for potential DNA that may have ended up on, or in the dog's mouth.

[quote]Since that night, police have identified potential witnesses and ruled out persons of interest, but they haven't released any information about a suspect or possible motive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66November 14, 2021 2:18 AM

Here's the full autopsy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67November 14, 2021 2:19 AM

Another article with lots of local discussion in the comments. The timeline as set forth by the girlfriend's account seems way too short to have done this.

I was just thinking about this case this past week, have a bad feeling it won't be solved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68November 14, 2021 2:23 AM

^Never mind re: comments, I had only read a few before posting, many appear to be loons.

Have there been any other crimes in the park since this happened?

I saw a post upthread that the girlfriend is living with another woman? What is that info based on? That is hard to believe. There is moving on and then there is that. GF seemed cold and possibly autistic, to be living with another woman already?

by Anonymousreply 69November 14, 2021 2:27 AM

[quote] The letters "F," "A" and "T" were also found etched onto her chest

Geeze. I don’t why it’s that detail that makes me so furious. I guess I didn’t expect a murderer to pause and judge her for not having a bikini body.

by Anonymousreply 70November 14, 2021 2:28 AM

That’s not true. She’s living with her dad

by Anonymousreply 71November 14, 2021 2:44 AM

That seems much more plausible, R71. Thank you.

I cannot bring myself to read that report.

by Anonymousreply 72November 14, 2021 2:54 AM

Her dad is gay, too? It say "he lives with his spouse, Harry."

by Anonymousreply 73November 14, 2021 2:55 AM

Per this article, she used some of the GFM to buy a condo.

Also in this article, she says she went to look for her on her bike. Earlier stories had her driving around.

Anyone know more about the tattoo on Katie's back that had so many stab wounds around it? The park was pretty dark, was it someone who knew her and knew of the tattoo? Are the are there any photos of it that anyone has seen or a description in the report? Why carve FAT on her? It all seems SO personal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74November 14, 2021 3:15 AM

Apparently FA was some distance from the letter T.

Some speculation is that it might reference FA as a part of a Tinder profile.

The tattoo thing is so specific and so unlikely to be clearly visible in the dark and it was on her back, covered by a shirt initially. Seems very personal.

Does anyone else remember initial stories of the GF driving around looking for her? This bike detail is new to me.

by Anonymousreply 75November 14, 2021 3:29 AM

"Blue denim jeans with a black belt in the loops and blue underwear with a red and white heart pattern are at the level of the knees." I hadn't heard that detail before.

by Anonymousreply 76November 14, 2021 3:31 AM

[Quote] Apparently FA was some distance from the letter T.

I can fill in the blanks.

by Anonymousreply 77November 14, 2021 3:35 AM

FA was described as on one side of her torso, the T some distance, on the other side of her torso.

Was the tattoo known to the murderer?

Emma's father said KJ had been sexually assaulted, APD say no. Many of the facts seem to not match up.

by Anonymousreply 78November 14, 2021 3:58 AM

[quote]Apparently FA was some distance from the letter T.

With smaller letters, 2 1/2” would have been a big space, but they were 3 3/4” to 4 5/8” wide and the “T” at least was 4” tall.

The poor woman was butchered. Between the face, the breast, and the 13” laparotomy incision, it sounds like a left-handed Jack the Ripper.

FA:

[quote]These wounds are centered 20” from the top of the head, extend 3-1/4” right of the anterior midline to 3-1/2” left of the anterior midline.

T:

[quote]This wound complex is centered 18” from the top of the head and 6” left of the anterior midline of the torso.

by Anonymousreply 79November 14, 2021 9:44 PM

I guess the question is if the letters indicated multiple words, FA on a T profile, or one word. Beyond horrific.

The video where EC goes on about wanting police to clear her name is chilling.

by Anonymousreply 80November 14, 2021 10:33 PM

Doesn't it seem like it would have taken a bit of time for all that was described? This was not a 2 minute encounter. Plus it was pretty dark. Seems you would have to know about the tattoo on the back covered by a shirt to target it so specifically and repeatedly. Who was that tattoo special to?

by Anonymousreply 81November 15, 2021 12:07 AM

I’m waiting to see if the forensics on Bowie help them crack the case. This was a brutal murder

by Anonymousreply 82November 18, 2021 7:13 AM

R81, that’s what I can’t reconcile. It takes time to kill someone with a knife. Not to mention the dog. And it does seem personal, very personal.

by Anonymousreply 83November 18, 2021 11:41 PM

And the killer could have been discovered at any time. If she got involved with drug dealers or something, she'd have been kidnapped and the body would be dumped afterwards, or she'd have been taken out with one or two gunshots...

by Anonymousreply 84November 18, 2021 11:46 PM

It seems someone would have had to know about the tattoo on her back that was so targeted. It was dark and covered by a shirt and would be in most circumstances. Seems it was someone who knew her, perhaps with a connection to the tattoo.

by Anonymousreply 85November 19, 2021 1:16 AM

Last night I was watching one of those Dateline murder shows and it was about this hetero love triangle. This slutty bimbo was fucking this older married man on and off for years and then dumped him to be with this young cute guy. The older guy was convicted of killing the young one. The bimbo made a big show of grief but the defense showed several videos of her canoodling with the old guy even after she had supposedly fallen in love with the victim. She was playing them against each other.

I immediately thought of this case as I was watching it

by Anonymousreply 86November 19, 2021 1:41 AM

Do you envisage a trio of lesbians triangle? Or the lesbian couple with a man?

by Anonymousreply 87November 19, 2021 1:42 AM

Fat? Must be a Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 88November 19, 2021 2:53 AM

I still think the killer was spelling out F A g g o T.

by Anonymousreply 89November 19, 2021 2:56 AM

[quote] Some speculation is that it might reference FA as a part of a Tinder profile.

Huh? Where’s this coming from?

by Anonymousreply 90November 19, 2021 2:57 AM

In interviews the gf comes off very poorly. Several things her father said in the press have proven to be untrue.

by Anonymousreply 91November 19, 2021 3:46 AM

R87, I’m not sure. But just that, despite appearances and postmortem protestations, there could be cheating going on, and the duped partner can be in danger. And they might not know it. “Oh my jealous ex is out to get you” and meanwhile they’re fucking that jealous ex.

In the case I saw, the bimbo claimed that she was trying to pacify the jealous ex so he’d leave the new guy alone. Pffft.

Play stupid head games, people get killed.

by Anonymousreply 92November 19, 2021 3:46 AM

Damn she was butchered. That was brutal. It was a blitz of stabbings. She tried to defend herself.

by Anonymousreply 93November 19, 2021 4:13 AM

[quote]Former medical examiner and forensics investigator JoScott Morgan tells me according to the autopsy, Katie was alive while these letters are being carved into her body! She was still alive while this killer tortured her which Morgan says, “is indicative of the hemorrhage is Antemortem meaning these injuries occurred before death.”

[quote]JoScott Morgan has worked thousands of homicides from domestics to serial killers. This case is more sinister than most.

[quote]“This killer took extra time to write on this live victim. Pull her pants down. Stab her more than 50 times. They had some skill with instrumentation,” Morgan said. “Was this killer using a medical tool or multiple edge weapons”?

[quote]Morgan goes on to say this killer would have been “saturated in blood.” He went further into the details of the wounds and asked, “was this killer using a medical tool or multiple edge weapons”?

[quote]This murderer took extra time, unnecessary time with the victim. According to adjunct professor of forensic psychology, Stephanie Scott-Snyder, there were “obvious signs of overkill with sexual targeting and mutilation which is common in attacks committed by (sexual) sadists.

[quote]“These killers are motivated by their victim’s pain; That’s what excites them.”

[quote]Scott-Snyder has spent the last decade evaluating and treating violent offenders. She is the author of two books: “Introduction to Forensic Psychology: Essentials for Law Enforcement,” and “When Women Offend: Crime and the Female Perpetrator.”

[quote]“The act of carving the letters F-A-T into Katie’s abdomen wasn’t necessary to kill her, rather it fulfilled an emotional need for her murderer,” she added.

[quote]“The fact that Katie was alive when this happened likely reflects the killer’s need to inflict not only physical torture but psychological torture as well.”

[...]

[quote]Karyn Greer and I walked the scene at the exact time the murder would have occurred. It was dark but the illumination from the street lights provided enough light to see clearly as you navigate your way through the park. Any witness that would have come along could’ve easily seen this murder.

[quote]Karen Greer said, “You can hear people at a nearby restaurant talking and laughing but no one reported hearing screams that night!”

[quote]Does this mean her throat was cut first? Was she fighting for her life and could not scream? Did she know her killer? Is there a serial killer on the loose?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94November 19, 2021 3:30 PM

That sounds like the crazy girlfriend had another girlfriend who is fucking crazier

by Anonymousreply 95November 19, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote]I still think that dude with the cane had blood on his tank top.

That was a red and white rectangular item he was holding under his arm, the white part blended into his tank top and created kind of an optical illusion.

You can see it wobbling at about 1:30 in this video, which makes the white part of it move away from the tank top and stand out. I think it's a small purse-like bag, maybe a laptop bag, but it's hard to tell.

by Anonymousreply 96November 19, 2021 4:24 PM

Forgot the link at r96, sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97November 19, 2021 4:31 PM

Dear God, that is beyond horrifying. The gf has such a strange affect. In that vid exhorting the cops to clear her name the narcissism and use of the word "I" were overwhelming.

I wish I did not know she was still alive for much of it. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 98November 19, 2021 6:28 PM

It seems almost impossible for that savage a crime to have happened where and when it did. A strangling,shooting, bludgeoning, sure; that could happen at the edge of a dark park with lots of people nearby.

Stabbing someone - and a pit Bull! - and carving actual letters into a living body during a very short timeline? How on earth is that even possible under those conditions/physical parameters? I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 99November 20, 2021 9:01 AM

I don't either, r99. What blows my mind is that the perpetrator had to be soaked in blood. How did he manage to escape unseen? Maybe he wore a a plastic raincoat and took it off, rolled it up and put it in a backpack...

by Anonymousreply 100November 20, 2021 4:09 PM

Or she, R100...

by Anonymousreply 101November 20, 2021 4:38 PM

Doesn’t that clear the girlfriend, because she arrived on the scene quickly and didn’t have blood on her?

by Anonymousreply 102November 20, 2021 4:41 PM

Not if she's an accomplice.

by Anonymousreply 103November 20, 2021 4:52 PM

I wonder if there investigating the girlfriend's coworkers. That's where a new relationship is most likely to have blossomed.

by Anonymousreply 104November 20, 2021 4:52 PM

*they're investigating

by Anonymousreply 105November 20, 2021 4:53 PM

Very few women have the physical strength needed to commit this crime and subdue and kill a pit bull. And they rarely commit crimes of this nature. Just thinking base rates, r101.

by Anonymousreply 106November 20, 2021 4:53 PM

That said. I expect it would be easier to slit a pitbull's throat if the pitbull knows you and sees you as no threat.

by Anonymousreply 107November 20, 2021 4:56 PM

If the girlfriend killed the pitbull and someone else killed Katie... that would explain why the killer(s) felt emboldened to commit such an elaborate, drawn out in terms of actions, murder. For all the frenzy element, there had to be detailed planning, even just to escape unnoticed, change clothes etc.

by Anonymousreply 108November 20, 2021 4:58 PM

The back tattoo that was such a focus and that would almost always be covered by clothing is likely a clue. What was it significant to? Who had seen it?

by Anonymousreply 109November 20, 2021 9:59 PM

I find the idea that the reference is to "FA" on a "T"inder profile plausible. The father made several untrue statements to the media. How in love and devoted and exclusive each were may be a whopper like him saying the victim had been sexually assaulted with male DNA found. Police refuted and have not cleared EC despite her creepy disconnected interview demanding them do so.

by Anonymousreply 110November 20, 2021 10:00 PM

^ demanding that they do so

It is hard to rank her interviews in order of most creepy / eerie. That one might top for most uses of the word "I" and "me" however.

by Anonymousreply 111November 20, 2021 10:56 PM

I’d love to see this solved.

by Anonymousreply 112November 21, 2021 12:17 AM

I saw only one interview of the girlfriend and she struck me as being on the spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 113November 21, 2021 4:51 PM

Watch the one where she demands the police clear her name. Think it was linked here. Very strange affect, not sure it is autism. That would be a very strange fit for a career as a bartender. She does seem quite off.

by Anonymousreply 114November 21, 2021 4:57 PM

To be fair, a lot of us would be acting quite off if our partner was brutally murdered.

by Anonymousreply 115November 21, 2021 4:59 PM

Especially if we murdered them, R115.

by Anonymousreply 116January 3, 2022 12:57 AM

Did she take out a life insurance policy on her?

by Anonymousreply 117January 9, 2022 5:46 PM

Why is this being ignored. She needs justice!

by Anonymousreply 118January 9, 2022 6:21 PM

Ugh, I have feared that this would become a cold case. Several things that the gf and her father said did not line up with evidence. I hope the authorities will be able to pursue charges, what a horrific way to die, and the poor dog too.

by Anonymousreply 119January 9, 2022 10:07 PM

January 4, 2022

[quote]There aren't many updates on Katie Janness' murder investigation, but it's still "very active." Investigators are still assessing biological, physical and electronic evidence.

[quote]On Tuesday at Atlanta Police Headquarters, Deputy Chief Charles Hampton Jr. said there aren't many updates on Katie Janness' murder investigation, but it's still "very active."

[quote]Hampton Jr. said they are receiving leads on a weekly basis and meeting regularly with the FBI.

[quote]"We are getting close in, my opinion," Hampton Jr. said.

[quote]Homicide Commander Ralph Woolfolk said investigators are still assessing biological, physical and electronic evidence.

[quote]"We do believe this investigation is moving in the right direction," Woolfolk said.

[...]

[quote]Authorities are examining the dog that belonged to the woman stabbed to death in Piedmont Park.

[quote]A retired investigator said some valuable evidence could have been gathered from Bowie's corpse.

[quote]APD ordered an examination looking for potential DNA that may have ended up on, or in the mouth of Bowie.

[quote]So far, police have not released information on the necropsy.

[...]

[quote]Investigators will have to rely on a possible profile and good old-fashion police work in solving the murder of Katie Janness who was found dead in Piedmont Park at the end of July 2021.

[quote]Velazquez said right now there doesn't seem to be an intimate connection between Janness and the killer.

[quote]"The other element that a lot of people don't understand...people with mental illness. We've had cases like this. In their mind, whatever voices their hearing or whatever demons, they're fighting, it's transferred into that object. It could be that person and there really isn't an intimate connection," Velazquez said.

[quote]He said any small lead can be the thing to break this case and anyone who may have witnessed something that night out of place, out of the ordinary, no matter how big or small, should come forward. It might be the difference between letting a potentially violent predator go free and justice for Janness, not to mention the peace of mind for an entire city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 9, 2022 11:01 PM

Not the girlfriend

by Anonymousreply 121January 10, 2022 2:52 AM

No new information but this is the most recent article I could find

January 10, 2022

[quote]Law enforcement sources and a former prosecutor say elements of the Katherine Janness murder at Piedmont Park in Midtown suggest there may be "a familiarity" between the victim and the killer.

[quote]there are elements of the crime -- including some evidence which is public -- that a former Fulton County prosecutor says makes a "stranger-to-stranger" profile unlikely.

[quote]Ash Joshi believes the reaction of the victim's dog is noteworthy. The assailant killed the pet as well.

[quote]Joshi, who is currently a criminal defense attorney, says a characteristic of a pit bull breed is to be "very protective" of the owner.

[quote]And yet, the killer apparently was able to get close enough to disable the dog before killing Janness. "It suggests a familiarity," Joshi said.

[quote]The former prosecutor also makes an assessment about what police commonly call overkill. There were dozens of wounds on the body. Joshi said the park murder indicates "high emotions".

[quote]And a derogatory word, confirmed by the medical examiner, was carved into the torso of the victim. The fact, Joshi said, may suggest something personal.

[quote]"It could also be an example of a dispassionate act, like what you see in a serial killing but I doubt it," Joshi said. He added police would expect to see that type of killer try again and that has not happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 24, 2022 1:37 AM

Girlfriend!!

by Anonymousreply 123January 24, 2022 1:52 AM

Wow.... I feel there is some 3rd woman- someone was fucking around OR its that girlfriend..

Pretty horrifying-

by Anonymousreply 124January 24, 2022 3:16 PM

Whoever did this is pure evil no excuse!!

by Anonymousreply 125January 24, 2022 10:55 PM

R125- Yes. The cops would not be saying this shit and they have someone pinned to the wall, and don't care if they know.

by Anonymousreply 126January 24, 2022 11:19 PM

There was also stabbing of a back tattoo that would have been covered by clothing and also not visible in the dark, again, suggesting overkill and familiarity.

by Anonymousreply 127January 26, 2022 3:27 AM

So what was the tattoo?

by Anonymousreply 128January 26, 2022 4:00 AM

I told you bitches back in August it was the girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 129January 26, 2022 4:09 AM

Bump for justice

by Anonymousreply 130January 27, 2022 7:53 PM

I was just thinking of Katie Janness the other day. A giant pit bull was sitting in front of the supermarket.

It would be great if they got the freak who did that to her.

by Anonymousreply 131January 27, 2022 8:06 PM

Told ya.

by Anonymousreply 132January 27, 2022 9:40 PM

Girlfriend gives off bad mojo

by Anonymousreply 133January 27, 2022 10:27 PM

Details re: the tattoo have not yet been released, however there was a suggestion that it may have been familiar to the killer.

I do hope they get the killer but have gotten a cold case vibe all along.

by Anonymousreply 134January 29, 2022 10:15 PM

Dog did it, then killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 135January 30, 2022 4:06 AM

This new case in Florida has a similar feel. So chilling.

There’s a person of interest recorded on multiple cameras. Are there any similarities to the guys caught on camera around Piedmont Park?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 9, 2022 1:20 PM

I mean, Little Rock last spring—>Atlanta last summer—>Daytona Beach now…

All seem to be thrill kills with no robbery. Compare the surveillance footage that’s available; Little Rock and Daytona guys have similarities. That guy in the wife beater leaving Piedmont Park has similarities to both.

by Anonymousreply 137March 9, 2022 2:02 PM

It's Fox, but here's the latest. The details of what they did to her are gruesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 9, 2022 3:04 PM

I find it hard to believe there was no DNA in the dogs’ mouth but maybe LE is saying that so they don’t reveal their cards.

by Anonymousreply 139March 9, 2022 5:05 PM

When I see this thread update I always hope there has been a solid arrest. That FL case was also horrifying and did seem like a thrill kill. Atlanta seemed really personal to me.

by Anonymousreply 140March 10, 2022 5:32 AM

The killer(s) carved ‘F’ “A” “T” on her stomach. I know DLs will have a distinct spin on this tid bit. But the murder was extremely brutal and I don’t think it was committed by a lone woman. I’m new to this case so sorry if this was already revealed and the few facts around it are intriguing.

by Anonymousreply 141March 10, 2022 7:17 AM

One day people will learn that a local broadcast Fox affiliate is not Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 142March 10, 2022 8:45 AM

She had ‘fat’ carved into her? What’s up, y’all think her gay lover did it?

by Anonymousreply 143March 10, 2022 9:21 AM

[quote] There are nine security cameras inside Piedmont Park, but none are operational due to outdated technology.

and

[quote] Investigators tried to determine if there is any information to extract from the cameras,

Now, I know I’m not a trained investigator, but I have a strong hunch that the cameras aren’t going to be much help. Just a guess.

But in all seriousness, the article goes on for entire paragraphs, justifying the presence of the inoperable cameras.

by Anonymousreply 144March 10, 2022 10:29 AM

One theory, given the spacing of FA on one side of torso and T on other was that it stood for "fat accepting" on Tinder. No idea.

There was also a lot of stabbing to a tattoo on her back that would have been covered by a shirt. I think the whole thing seems very personal.

Things said by the girlfriend and her father turned out not to be true. She has a very strange affect.

by Anonymousreply 145March 10, 2022 4:23 PM

What did the girlfriend and her father say that wasn't true?

by Anonymousreply 146March 10, 2022 4:51 PM

I told you bitches it was the girlfriend from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 147March 11, 2022 12:30 AM

Googling her name this is the most recent thing in the search results

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 11, 2022 2:01 AM

Police have arrested a man for the double murder in Daytona Beach. Presumably they will see if he has any connection to Katie's murder.

by Anonymousreply 149March 11, 2022 3:15 AM

Aggressive Fruit? Obviously a DLer.

by Anonymousreply 150March 12, 2022 11:30 PM

From March 15, 2022

[quote]Atlanta police announced Tuesday that the murder of a woman in Piedmont Park last year has now turned into a forensic investigation.

[quote]During the news conference, Channel 2′s Audrey Washington asked Atlanta Deputy Police Chief Charles Hampton about the status of the case.

[quote]“We are relying on the science and the technology,” Hampton said. “Investigations take time. We’ve been fortunate to get some of these high-profile cases solved in days and weeks. And then there are other cases that our team continues to work diligently to bring the people responsible to justice.”

[quote]Hampton said APD is continuing to meet with the FBI weekly about the case and that it is still an active investigation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 29, 2022 12:37 AM

Thanks for the article, r158. I have not forgotten about this one.

by Anonymousreply 152March 29, 2022 12:53 AM

I mean r151.

by Anonymousreply 153March 29, 2022 12:54 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154June 9, 2022 11:49 PM

I can’t believe there are no leads and no news on this case.

by Anonymousreply 155June 10, 2022 2:11 AM

It’s Atlanta. Believe it.

by Anonymousreply 156June 10, 2022 2:33 AM

I wonder if they're still investigating. Somehow I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 157June 10, 2022 1:57 PM

Any updates?

by Anonymousreply 158August 23, 2022 5:02 PM

Still nothing.

by Anonymousreply 159September 2, 2022 9:55 PM

Dyke drama.

by Anonymousreply 160September 2, 2022 9:56 PM

No updates but people think police know who killed her but lack sufficient evidence to make an arrest.

From July 27:

[quote]Powell is hopeful an arrest will be announced soon but laments that closure may remain elusive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161September 4, 2022 1:34 AM

[quote]My understanding (and I'm not an insider :) is that they know who did it but they have not been able to produce enough evidence to indict this person.

[quote]You can kind of read between the lines in the AJC article from yesterday where they say.. they hope to announce an arrest soon, but closure might remain elusive.

[quote]That’s pretty much exactly what they’re saying right now during the press conference.

[quote][bold]I heard from an APD insider they do know who he is and he’s in custody for other reasons. He was an ex-lover of hers and couldn’t stand she was a lesbian.[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162September 4, 2022 1:35 AM

☝🏼 So it’s not the girlfriend? And ex lover man 👨

by Anonymousreply 163September 4, 2022 1:41 AM

No, it’s another dyke who did it. We’re not buying the hate crime crap that someone just dreamt up.

by Anonymousreply 164September 4, 2022 1:51 AM

Her girlfriend found her at the park and then called 911…

by Anonymousreply 165September 4, 2022 1:59 AM

Girlfriend pinged her phone - alibi. Sounds like she was set up.

by Anonymousreply 166September 4, 2022 2:00 AM

I hope it’s not the girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 167September 4, 2022 2:02 AM

If it really was an ex-boyfriend, a spurned male lover that couldn’t reconcile that she was in a happy serious relationship with a woman…

Dude has the worst gaydar of all time. Just a completely non-functioning, useless ‘dar, an inability to read any non-verbal cues from other humans. This is probably co-morbid with other serious personality or mental disorders suffused with an undercurrent of rage and privilege.

I have never understood the “if I can’t have her, no one else can” psychosis. Just start fucking other people and get over it, pick up a hobby or read some god damned books. There are millions of hot sexy funny smart people on the planet and billions of average people with moderate IQs and decent grooming habits, Atlanta is brimming with talent. This was about his slightly bruised ego. I hope his momentary feeling of vindication was worth the prison he has put himself in now just waiting to be caught and actually sent to prison

by Anonymousreply 168September 4, 2022 6:57 PM

Was it really her ex-boyfriend?

by Anonymousreply 169September 4, 2022 7:38 PM

No.

by Anonymousreply 170September 4, 2022 9:41 PM

February 6, 2023:

[quote]Internet sleuths believe they know who the suspect is: Bryan Kohberger.

[quote]They say a man who was jogging near the scene of the crime bears a striking resemblance to Kohberger. But that jogger came forward in 2021 and was cleared as a suspect.

[quote]The amateur sleuths say a company that is affiliated with Kohberger has ties to Atlanta, and that puts him in the Atlanta area around the time of the Piedmont Park murders.

[quote]Kohberger’s link to the company is very weak at best. In fact, he didn’t work for the company or own the company. But he is linked to someone who did — and even that link is weak. But that’s all they need to connect him to the Piedmont Park stabbings.

[quote]The Internet sleuths contacted the Atlanta Police Department with their evidence. So far, there has been no word from the APD about the case.

I want this case to be solved too but this is a real stretch.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171February 12, 2023 10:04 PM

What’s the girlfriend doing now?

by Anonymousreply 172December 18, 2023 4:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!