Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Debra Winger backed out of "A League Of Their Own" because?

They cast Madonna.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460August 29, 2021 11:08 AM

She was fired

by Anonymousreply 1August 13, 2021 11:02 PM

Her loss--Madonna was actually a great fit for her role. It's one of her few roles that is remembered positively.

by Anonymousreply 2August 13, 2021 11:06 PM

Debra is a bully to co-stars. I know someone she made miserable.

by Anonymousreply 3August 13, 2021 11:07 PM

R3, that doesn't surprise me. I don't like Andy Cohen but how she acted on Watch What Happens Live was ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 4August 13, 2021 11:07 PM

R3 = Shirley MacLaine

by Anonymousreply 5August 13, 2021 11:09 PM

According to the article, she and Shirley McClaine are friends? Didn't know that. Also, Shirley claims Winger farted in her face which caused Winger to say...

[quote] “Well, I have never known Shirley to tell the truth about anything,”

by Anonymousreply 6August 13, 2021 11:10 PM

This is another thread with the exact same title because this Mariah loon was KO’d in another thread about how terrible Mariah’s touring numbers are. He went MENTAL. Go check it out.

by Anonymousreply 7August 13, 2021 11:11 PM

I remember the scenes where Madonna catches the ball and it looked they just dropped the ball from a ladder. But she looked so proud of herself.

by Anonymousreply 8August 13, 2021 11:14 PM

R8 Of course that is what happened,cunt. Do you not understand how movies are made?

Hint: Those weren’t real dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. People don’t really fall out windows 30 floors.

by Anonymousreply 9August 13, 2021 11:19 PM

Everything about that interview tells me Debra Winger is an asshole (not exactly news; hasn't that been widely reported for years?). She really does not come off well.

by Anonymousreply 10August 13, 2021 11:19 PM

R10 She goes out of her way, almost 30 years later, to get in a dig at Madonna and Penny Marshall by implying her movie didn’t do the women baseball players justice. It’s not a fucking documentary, Debra. It is a widely acclaimed movie that is beloved.

by Anonymousreply 11August 13, 2021 11:21 PM

Yeah, attack Madonna for Shanghai Surprise. ALOTO is a strange project to bash.

by Anonymousreply 12August 13, 2021 11:24 PM

A League of their OWn was one of Madonna's few successful acting roles.

by Anonymousreply 13August 13, 2021 11:26 PM

r11, it's that, plus the MacLaine comments, and the #MeToo comments. All of it is just like...yeah, she's an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 14August 13, 2021 11:32 PM

Madonna did great to good in:

Desperately Seeking Susan

Who’s That Girl (yes, she did)

Dick Tracy

ALOTO

Dangerous Game (her best by miles. Really great)

Evita

Shadows and Fog

Girl 6

Four Rooms

She did terrible in:

S Surprise

Body of Evidence

The Next Best Thing(it wasn’t)

Swept Away (except the last 1/3 where she actually did a fine job)

She needs a strong director and she’s fine.

by Anonymousreply 15August 13, 2021 11:32 PM

Madonna actually has a pretty successful movie career which she killed dead cold after Evita with two horrific performances and movies.

She was passable and possibly could have been really good with the right directors. Her reputation in movies was largely made negative by conservative media and certain record companies trying to bring her down. Like below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 13, 2021 11:40 PM

Madonna was very funny in Girl 6.

by Anonymousreply 17August 13, 2021 11:47 PM

"Base Ball"(1963)- Elvis Presley plays a fella just out of the Navy who gets a job coaching a bevy of beauties. Songs include: "va Va VA VOOM"; "Homerun!"; "Babes Are Loaded". Also starring Don Rickles, Paul Lynde, Zasu Pitts and introducing Joey Heatherton.

by Anonymousreply 18August 13, 2021 11:48 PM

I've never seen "A League of Their Own" and I don't think I want to. I've seen a few film clips of it, though. It looks like a stupid movie. And Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell seem unbearable in it. Madonna plays a slut; what an acting stretch that must have been for her! I guess it was thought that it would be a cute idea to cast slutty Madonna as a slut. And Rosie O'Donnell's voice is enough to make you want to kill her. She says her lines like this: "A caw couda came by... Whut? Whuddeh he say? Iz dat Englush?"

by Anonymousreply 19August 13, 2021 11:59 PM

R19, Rosie and Madonna were great in it honestly. Madonna does amazingly well in supporting roles. She can't handle taking direction though which is why she can't act as the main actress. Abel Ferrara must have verbally abused the shit out of her to get the performance she gave in Dangerous Game.

by Anonymousreply 20August 14, 2021 12:09 AM

She was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 21August 14, 2021 12:11 AM

R20 He did. He said he had to get in her head because she was so strong willed. He wrote in her actual rape into the movie. Well, he telling Harvey Keitel’s character about it. He actually used her own rape story, which she told him, in the movie. He said to her credit, she did it.

R19 But she wasn’t necessarily acting like a slut in it. Her character had some really funny lines.

by Anonymousreply 22August 14, 2021 12:38 AM

There’s going to be a streaming service series of A League of their Own starring Ilana Glazer from Broad City. It’s apparently more about the ladies working in the WW2 munitions factory. It’s shooting outside Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 23August 14, 2021 12:48 AM

[quote]she and Shirley McClaine are friends?

Perhaps. She and Shirley MacLAINE - no fucking chance.

by Anonymousreply 24August 14, 2021 1:11 AM

[quote] It's one of her few roles that is remembered positively.

It's the only of her roles that is remembered positively.

by Anonymousreply 25August 14, 2021 1:36 AM

R25 You WISH troll. Ahahahaaha I know who you Stan.

by Anonymousreply 26August 14, 2021 1:38 AM

The Rolling Stone did a puff piece on Madonna that declared her "one of the most bankable actresses of the eighties." HAHAHAHA! Whoever wrote that sure had to eat crow.

by Anonymousreply 27August 14, 2021 1:43 AM

R26, Janet was no better. Unclench.

by Anonymousreply 28August 14, 2021 1:45 AM

R27 No way they did. She wasn’t successful in the 80s movie-wise.

Though, she had quite a few in the 90s. If she had never had three movies- BOE, TNBT and SA- out of over a dozen, she would be seen as a very successful actress. She threw herself into Evita and it worked. She rarely did that. She expected it to be as natural to her as performing her songs and she was very wrong. She rarely learned from that.

by Anonymousreply 29August 14, 2021 1:48 AM

She obviously has a problem with Madonna. Unsure why she’s comparing it to an Elvis film, considering Elvis was the star of his films and Debra would’ve been star of this one along with Tom Hanks, and Madonnas was just a supporting role. I think Debra would’ve been great in it, but she got paid her full salary to do nothing oh well.

by Anonymousreply 30August 14, 2021 1:50 AM

R25, not true. Desperately Seeking Susan, Evita, A League of Their Own and many critics love her role in Dangerous Game.

by Anonymousreply 31August 14, 2021 1:53 AM

R30 She has a problem with just about everybody.

by Anonymousreply 32August 14, 2021 1:53 AM

I agree with her about the metoo stuff, but she really is a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 33August 14, 2021 1:54 AM

She was amazing in Dangerous Game. Amazing. That last scene was searing. It was a very raw movie.

by Anonymousreply 34August 14, 2021 1:54 AM

1992 was also the year Winger's career started to decline. After she cashed the "League" check, I wonder if she was black-balled?

What followed was a series of forgettable films: Leap Of Faith; Wilder Napalm; A Dangerous Woman; Shadowlands; Forget Paris...

Then a six-year hiatus from film.

by Anonymousreply 35August 14, 2021 1:59 AM

Were any other actresses considered for Mae?

by Anonymousreply 36August 14, 2021 1:59 AM

Debra is such a cunt. She needs to be slapped.

by Anonymousreply 37August 14, 2021 2:03 AM

R36 the article said Lindsay frost was set to play Mae but had to drop out because a pilot she did made it to series. I thought Madonna was fine and most of her arc was her and Rosie O’Donnell’s friendship but not a main part of the movie. Odd that winger is also shitting on some of the other actresses for not being trained enough in a film she dropped out of 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 38August 14, 2021 2:04 AM

Also winger said O’Donnell was one of the ones who she felt had trained enough. O’Donnell and Lori petty were the best ball players and both could actually play before training. Penny said Madonna was fine during the shoot and there were no issues on set.

by Anonymousreply 39August 14, 2021 2:18 AM

"What followed was a series of forgettable films: Leap Of Faith; Wilder Napalm; A Dangerous Woman; Shadowlands..."

A Dangerous Woman is a good film. Shadowlands is a great film. Neither are remotely "forgettable".

by Anonymousreply 40August 14, 2021 2:21 AM

#40, make sure you have the right one of the 27 films with the same title. I remember working in a video store that year and no one ever rented her "Shadowlands".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41August 14, 2021 2:26 AM

R19, A League of Their Own contains one of Tom Hanks' best performances, and certainly one of his funniest. It was also a comeback for him - after the Oscar nomination for Big, he starred in a string of flops, including the notorious bomb The Bonfire of the Vanities; his role in League was essentially supporting, but was a fantastic part, he played it brilliantly and rescued his career.

by Anonymousreply 42August 14, 2021 3:33 AM

If true, it is yet another in a lifetime of stupid choices.

No one has hurt her career more than she has. She has the talent, but she's mean and has some sort of personality disorder.

by Anonymousreply 43August 14, 2021 3:56 AM

"No way they did. "

Oh yes they did. I remember distinctly that declaration, because I thought it was so ludicrous. The article kissed her ass from here to kingdom come. The Rolling Stone would do that, do puff piece articles about particular acts that were favorites of the magazine. I remember another article about Linda Ronstadt's CLOTHES entitled "Just One Look." It burbled on about her supposed "style" which was no style at all. Linda Ronstadt was not known for her fashion sense. But the Rolling Stone loved her back then, so they some silly article about stuff she wore.

by Anonymousreply 44August 14, 2021 4:20 AM

Her performance as the cold, grieving mother in Rachel Getting Married is, I think, her best work.

by Anonymousreply 45August 14, 2021 4:36 AM

Article is a great example of how actors often dont understand their own contracts. She probably had casting approval of her co-stars which is why the studio paid her pay or play fee. Also, guessing her fee was under $1 million so it wasn't a huge deal to pay out and be done with her.

Or maybe she just forgets the details. It was 29 years ago and its not like she was in the studio offices as part of the decision. Columbia wanted Madonna and it's entirely possible Geena Davis had already said yes before they let Winger go.

by Anonymousreply 46August 14, 2021 4:37 AM

R44 You remember? LMAO

by Anonymousreply 47August 14, 2021 4:57 AM

Yes, I do remember, R47. I remember a lot of things I've read. I guess you don't understand that because you don't read. You don't seem very bright.

by Anonymousreply 48August 14, 2021 5:03 AM

Suuuuure, Janet

by Anonymousreply 49August 14, 2021 5:05 AM

[quote]The Rolling Stone did a puff piece on Madonna that declared her "one of the most bankable actresses of the eighties." HAHAHAHA! Whoever wrote that sure had to eat crow.

[quote]R27 No way they did. She wasn’t successful in the 80s movie-wise.

[quote]Oh yes they did. I remember distinctly that declaration, because I thought it was so ludicrous. The article kissed her ass from here to kingdom come.

[quote]R44 You remember? LMAO

[quote]Yes, I do remember, R47. I remember a lot of things I've read. I guess you don't understand that because you don't read. You don't seem very bright.

[quote]Suuuuure, Janet

R27, R44, R48 is right about the Rolling Stone piece about Madonna.

I did a search because I can’t imagine anyone lying about something that could so be easily proven false.

RS508, September, 10 1987:

[quote][italic]Besides the tour, Madonna is currently appearing in her third feature film, a neo-screwball romp titled (what else?) Who’s That Girl?. It borrows heavily from the spirit and plots of some of the singer’s favorite classic comedies, principally Howard Hawk’s Bringing Up Baby and Preston Sturges’s The Lady Eve. The film may be a bit too modern-manic to live up to its sources, but as Nikki Finn – a streetwise woman wrongly convicted of murder and hell-bent on vindication – Madonna turns into a cunningly dizzy, often affecting portrayal that not only works as an homage to her favorite actress, Judy Holliday ("She could really come off as being dumb," Madonna says, "but she knew exactly what was going on"), but also has inspired speculation in Hollywood that Madonna may become one of the most bankable new actresses of the decade.[/italic]

I’m not an obsessive Madonna fan but R29, R47, R49’s assholery was getting annoying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50August 14, 2021 12:36 PM

^ also mentioned in the LA Times

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51August 14, 2021 12:37 PM

The only think I have seen Debra Winger in is “Rachel Getting Married” with AnnE Hathaway.

Well, and E.T. but I don’t actually remember her in that.

I’ve only seen Madonna in “Desparately Seeking Susan” which I loved thanks partially to Aidan Quinn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52August 14, 2021 12:40 PM

R52 Can’t believe you haven’t seen Terms, Officer and A Gentleman, and Urban Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 53August 14, 2021 12:48 PM

LOVE "who's that girl"... cracks me up...

course seeing the GORGEOUS MUSCLEBOUND character Buck (dumb and full of cum) shirtless in the movie is a great highlight!....

by Anonymousreply 54August 14, 2021 12:49 PM

Psssh, this troublemaker cunt again...

by Anonymousreply 55August 14, 2021 12:54 PM

Not very graceful (although Marshall is deceased and Madonna has the hide of a rhino). And I thought this was one of Madonna’s better film outings. Winger is a very good actor, but not very nice even in a casual interview which makes you think her rep is accurate. On the other hand, this is interesting.

by Anonymousreply 56August 14, 2021 12:55 PM

Debra Winger is mentally ill, bi-polar or something as severe. When she was acting out of her mind, she probably was.

Debra was also on one of those Absolutely Queer posters all over New York in the early 90s. Below, left column, second row under Jodie Foster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57August 14, 2021 2:17 PM

The animosity most likely stems from when Winger did the movie The Sheltering Sky. Madonna had expressed interest in doing the movie, she might have even met with Bertolucci, but in the end he went with Winger.

After the movie was released, Madonna made some bitchy comments in the press about how Winger's performance wasn't any good, and how about how she had to change her nickname (she was going around calling herself the character's name) because she didn't want to be associated with THAT movie.

by Anonymousreply 58August 14, 2021 2:30 PM

I remember when they were doing The Wizard of Oz in Concert. Winger played the Wicked Witch and she was a major bitch during the dress rehearsal. I wish I could have been sitting next to Nathan Lane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59August 14, 2021 2:46 PM

[quote] I remember the scenes where Madonna catches the ball and it looked they just dropped the ball from a ladder. But she looked so proud of herself.

[quote] Of course that is what happened, cunt. Do you not understand how movies are made? Hint: Those weren’t real dinosaurs in Jurassic Park. People don’t really fall out windows 30 floors

Those are special effects. Catching a baseball doesn't require special effects, it should look real. If it doesn't, it looks stupid.

by Anonymousreply 60August 14, 2021 3:13 PM

I found a copy of Penny Marshall’s book, here are some excerpts:

[quote]as I put together a cast, I had an unusual requirement: The girls had to be able to play. I couldn’t double them in the movie. They were going to be in little skirts. It wasn’t like making a football movie where you could hide athletes inside a helmet and pads. Any girl I cast had to be able to throw, catch, hit, run, and slide. So I had longtime USC baseball coach Rod Dedeaux run the girls through the paces. It was probably the toughest tryout any of them had ever had for a movie. Some of the actual AAGPBL women who lived locally also judged them. I heard batting cages around the city were packed with actresses learning how to hit.

[quote]Anspaugh had wanted Sean Young in the lead. Demi Moore had been my first choice for Dottie. I had run into her prior to Awakenings and asked if she could play ball. It turned out she could. She was coordinated — and a strong actress. Perfect. But she was pregnant when the role came around again. She literally got fucked out of the part.

[quote]I was able to choose anyone in the world, but great actresses don’t necessarily make for great athletes. One showed up in ballet slippers. Sorry, not right. Marisa Tomei sent me a tape of herself playing ball. I saw that Joe Pesci had been teaching her as they made My Cousin Vinny. As much as I loved Marisa, though, she wasn’t a ballplayer. Farrah Fawcett, an excellent athlete, wanted in; unfortunately she was a little too old. Lori Singer was an excellent actress who could play, but she wanted a bigger part. The list of buts went on.

[quote]Finally, [bold]I gave the lead to Debra Winger, who signed up with a great deal of enthusiasm — and she could play.[/bold] She was a tough girl. We were eager to work together, too. Nearly a decade had passed since we talked about Peggy Sue. [bold]Because of her, I cast Lori Petty as her sister, Kit Keller[/bold], a part that I was thinking about Moira Kelly for, until she hurt her ankle while making The Cutting Edge. [bold]Lori was perfect, though. Scrappy, athletic, confident, she was the only actress who stood up to Debra Winger when they read together. It ain’t easy to read with Debra, either. She’ll fuck with you. She’ll throw in extra lines or add asides. It flusters some people. Which is why she does it. You have to stay together, and Lori did. She was also a hell of a player.[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 61August 14, 2021 3:16 PM

[quote]Then Tom Hanks asked for that role of Jimmy Dugan, a former star player (based on slugger Jimmie Foxx) whose drinking problem had driven him out of the big leagues and into a last-chance job as manager of the Rockford Peaches. Tom had done a handful of notso-hot pictures, which happens when you work as often as he did, and he was reading scripts, looking for a movie that would get him back on track.

[quote]He wanted a part where he wasn’t the lead, but audiences would be happy every time he came on screen. League was perfect. “Can I have it?” he asked. I thought he was wrong for the part. But he’s a great guy and gets along with everyone. I just couldn’t let him look the way he looks. He would seem like a distraction to the girls. They would be thinking he was cute. So I tried him in glasses, messed with his hair, and finally I said, “Eat! You’ve got to eat. Get fat.” Tom ate his way through our locations in Chicago and Indiana. He lived on pork, “the other white meat,” as numerous signs in Indiana claimed, and Dairy Queen.

[quote]Rosie O’Donnell was at the other end of the spectrum. I told her not to eat. To this day, she says that I’m the only director that ever told her to lose weight. Well, I say those things if they need to be said. Lindsay Frost, a tall, blond, pretty actress, was all set for the role of “All the Way” Mae, a character originally written as a California hottie. But then her TV pilot got picked up and all of a sudden I had to find another girl who could play ball and dance.

[quote][bold]I went to Madonna after reading a magazine article in which she mentioned she wanted to act in more movies. When I met with her, she asked if I wanted to see her pitch. I said, “No, I already have a pitcher. But I do have to see if you can play.” She was on her way to Cannes for a screening of her documentary Truth or Dare, but she stopped in New York and worked out for three hours with the coaches at St. John’s University. They gave her a thumbs-up. She was trainable. And that’s all I needed: trainable. So she was in.[/bold]

[quote][bold]But that pissed off Debra. “You’re making an Elvis movie!” she said. I didn’t understand what that meant, and I suppose my lack of understanding frustrated her even more because she dropped out of the picture.[/bold] I wasn’t going to look for another “All the Way” Mae. Lowell and Babaloo were rewriting the role to fit Madonna, turning Mae into a sassy, cigarette-smoking centerfielder. Rosie was enamored of the superstar singer. I knew their chemistry could work onscreen.

[quote]I helped that friendship along, too. At our first meeting, I began referring to them in a single breath as Ro and Mo (I couldn’t get the word Madonna out), and I issued them marching orders: “You’re going to be best friends. Mo, you teach her how to set her hair, and Ro, you teach her how to play ball.” Geena Davis slipped into the lead. She had read League but wanted to meet with Lowell and Babaloo about them writing another script for her. She ended up at my house. Her agent said not to play ball with her, but I took her out in the backyard anyway and discovered she was a natural. I had my new Dottie.

[quote]Obviously Geena and Lori Petty didn’t look like sisters, but I wasn’t going to recast Lori, who was a sensational player, one of the best natural athletes of all the girls. Instead, I matched their hair color. Suddenly they were sisters.

[quote]As for the rest of the cast, Megan Cavanagh, an actress, was waitressing at Ed Debevic’s, a ’50s-style hamburger joint, when she was cast as Marla; she learned to switch hit. Like her, Anne Ramsay and Bitty Schram could really play, and Freddie Simpson was so skilled, Tom joked that “she dipped Skoal.” Renée Coleman and Annie Cusack were trainable. Robin Knight, another excellent athlete, showed up after we were already cast. However, she refused to take no for an answer. She got herself to Chicago, talked her way in, and slept in another girl’s room every night. How do you say no to that kind of effort?

by Anonymousreply 62August 14, 2021 3:17 PM

I don't understand the animosity towards Winger on this site. She represents everything gays love about female movie stars: troublemaker, sexy, great actress, spunky, honest, crazy, diva-like, has been in classic and beloved movies, has three Best Actress Oscar nominations, causes problems, fights co-stars etc. Does all this hatred have to do with antisemitism?

by Anonymousreply 63August 14, 2021 3:34 PM

^ The newly crowned anti-semitism troll

by Anonymousreply 64August 14, 2021 3:36 PM

R63, she’s not glamorous. Her persona is a bit tomboyish. DL likes its divas dressed to the nines while imperiously dismissing the lessers in the world.

by Anonymousreply 65August 14, 2021 3:40 PM

I love tomboyish.

by Anonymousreply 66August 14, 2021 3:45 PM

Poor Debs has never been the same since splitting her head open in the back of that wardrobe trailer at Magic Mountain.

by Anonymousreply 67August 14, 2021 3:48 PM

DL has become more middle class housewife, frauish in its taste in recent years. Look at the recent thread effusively praising Julia Roberts as some great diva, or the constant over the top Streep worship. Two steps away from scrapbooking and breastfeeding threads.

by Anonymousreply 68August 14, 2021 3:53 PM

Didn't Penny Marshall want Demi Moore, but couldn't since she was pregnant

by Anonymousreply 69August 14, 2021 3:56 PM

[quote]Didn't Penny Marshall want Demi Moore, but couldn't since she was pregnant

Yes, R69, see R61.

[quote]Demi Moore had been my first choice for Dottie. I had run into her prior to Awakenings and asked if she could play ball. It turned out she could. She was coordinated — and a strong actress. Perfect. But she was pregnant when the role came around again. She literally got fucked out of the part.

by Anonymousreply 70August 14, 2021 4:04 PM

I can't see Debra Winger playing Dottie

by Anonymousreply 71August 14, 2021 4:05 PM

I want to see Debra Winger and Sean Young star in a film together. The project would need a massive umbrella insurance policy, but it would be amazing.

by Anonymousreply 72August 14, 2021 4:07 PM

R65, Debra's earthy. That's one of the reasons I like her over the run-of-the-mill glamor chick.

by Anonymousreply 73August 14, 2021 4:08 PM

Debra is great in bed

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74August 14, 2021 5:06 PM

Why do I think Madonna could whup this stank ho's ass and then mop up the floor with her?

by Anonymousreply 75August 14, 2021 5:11 PM

I just learned that it’s Lynn Cartwright and NOT Geena Davis in makeup appearing as the old lady version of Dottie at the end ALOTO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 14, 2021 5:45 PM

Bless your heart R76. That isn't Lori Petty as Kit either. However, Madonna just went without make for the contemporary scenes.

by Anonymousreply 77August 14, 2021 6:49 PM

[quote]It ain’t easy to read with Debra, either. She’ll fuck with you. She’ll throw in extra lines or add asides.

Wow, she sounds like a real treat. Working actors are nervous enough about doing a good job lest they get canned and replaced, and this tool fucks with you and gets in your head. I think Debra takes delight in being ornery.

by Anonymousreply 78August 14, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote]She’ll throw in extra lines or add asides.

Which is why she wasn't asked back to Wonder Woman.

by Anonymousreply 79August 14, 2021 7:33 PM

Debra's a complete wacko. I like it!

by Anonymousreply 80August 14, 2021 7:36 PM

Shirley Maclaine, in her Oscar speech, described Winger as “turbulent.” That’s Hollywood-ese for “cunt.”

by Anonymousreply 81August 14, 2021 7:48 PM

Shirley MacLaine is not one to judge crazy, turbulent or cunt.

by Anonymousreply 82August 14, 2021 7:51 PM

The interesting thing is Tim Hutton and Sean Penn were good friends back when Hutton was married to Debra Winger, while Penn was married to Madonna, but I highly doubt that the wives ever got together for brunch and Sunday cookouts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83August 14, 2021 8:11 PM

Debra Winger on Madonna acting abilities

“I think [her] acting career has spoken for itself,”

by Anonymousreply 84August 14, 2021 8:17 PM

[quote] I remember the scenes where Madonna catches the ball and it looked they just dropped the ball from a ladder. But she looked so proud of herself.

Same way she "plays guitar." Puts her fingers on a very basic cord (fretboard), strums, then poses like she's really playing guitar. Guitar is a prop for her.

by Anonymousreply 85August 14, 2021 8:18 PM

Debra Winger pings to me. She should just write a damn book, already. I'd love to hear all the dirt on this era of actors.

I do believe she farted in Shirley MacLaine's face.

by Anonymousreply 86August 14, 2021 8:28 PM

Debra Winger's career didn't dry up because she's a treat to work with.

She's difficult, creates drama, and has a problem with everybody.

by Anonymousreply 87August 14, 2021 8:36 PM

The Daisies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 14, 2021 8:40 PM

I hate her guts.

by Anonymousreply 89August 14, 2021 8:56 PM

I was an extra in Everybody Wins. We're at this bowling alley at some goddam early hour. I'm drinking coffee and just zoned out. When my eyes came back into focus, I realized I'd been staring straight at Debra...and she was staring straight back at me. I couldn't read the look on her face. I hoped she wasn't one of those who you were not supposed to look in the eye. If you're reading this, Debra, I wasn't looking at you...really.

by Anonymousreply 90August 14, 2021 9:05 PM

R85 Jealous cunt. Same with the person who posted the line you quoted. Oh, you’re the same person!

R84 We read that back in the article, hon. You highlighting it shows your obvious motives. Like we care what Debra fucking Winger thinks about Madonna’s acting ability. Do you go around letting others tell you what to think? Probably.

R50 No, you didn’t accurately say what they said. They said HW was thinking she would be a bankable actress, and they did before WTG was released, but they themselves didn’t say it. Obvious at your motives, Janbot.

R58 You made that up. Jesus the fans of other divas just go BPD at Madonna nonstop. I agree the assessment that DL is now flyover frau like.

by Anonymousreply 91August 14, 2021 9:10 PM

[quote]R50 No, you didn’t accurately say what they said. They said HW was thinking she would be a bankable actress, and they did before WTG was released, but they themselves didn’t say it. Obvious at your motives, Janbot.

I'm not the person you were arguing with and I'm not a Janbot, I'm someone who wanted you to stop derailing the thread so I looked it up. I don't know what you're talking about right now or what HW and WTG mean but let's stay on topic.

by Anonymousreply 92August 14, 2021 9:19 PM

Her two sons.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93August 14, 2021 9:21 PM

R92 Hw= Hollywood and WTG is Who’s That Girl. You’re right. It is frustrating when the rabid Madonna hater (OP talking to itself) makes shit up or bashes her nonstop.

by Anonymousreply 94August 14, 2021 9:25 PM

"I wanted to work with the turbulent flatulence of Debra Winger."

by Anonymousreply 95August 14, 2021 9:38 PM

R91= unhinged cunt

by Anonymousreply 96August 14, 2021 9:40 PM

I remember the League of their Own Thing playing out in the trades. They gave her until 5pm Friday to show up to the set. She didn't so they put Geena Davis on a plane. It sounded like it was about money.

by Anonymousreply 97August 14, 2021 9:44 PM

She's just fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 98August 14, 2021 9:48 PM

I liked Geena Davis in that role. Maybe things turned out for the best.

by Anonymousreply 99August 14, 2021 10:00 PM

A League Of Their Own is Madonna's only memorable acting role because it was a hit movie--and that had zero to do with her. Her acting is still stiff as a board & as deep as a coat of paint. Patti Lupone had it right when she declared Madonna a movie killer. Her desire to be seen on screen is far greater than the talent she possesses to justify her being there. Sure, she was passable in Desperately Seeking Susan, but still Madonna could muster just enough craft to play Madonna. I'll take her the only way she's intended to be taken--on record.

by Anonymousreply 100August 14, 2021 10:15 PM

Winger has a very strong willed persona, she rubs certain people the wrong way but she’s no nonsense and I’ve always had decent interactions with her. She did not like a certain person on the last show she was on (although her chemistry with anyone is palpable) and he was axed for his off set behaviours against women so she felt vindicated. She isn’t typical Hollywood but cast her and you will never be disappointed with her performance.

by Anonymousreply 101August 14, 2021 10:26 PM

[quote]She isn’t typical Hollywood but cast her and you will never be disappointed with her performance.

The problem is that nobody will cast her anymore because of all the bullshit you'll have to put up with from her. You could cast Meryl Streep and you'll also get a good performance and she's pleasant to work with.

by Anonymousreply 102August 14, 2021 10:36 PM

I never understood Debra Winger's success.

by Anonymousreply 103August 14, 2021 10:36 PM

THIS is acting...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104August 14, 2021 10:47 PM

As is this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105August 14, 2021 10:48 PM

and this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106August 14, 2021 10:48 PM

and this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107August 14, 2021 10:49 PM

What was her part? The one with the dead husband or the one with the fat obnoxious son?

by Anonymousreply 108August 14, 2021 10:49 PM

and this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 14, 2021 10:49 PM

From drama to comedy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110August 14, 2021 10:51 PM

Oh look a Janet Jackson Troll has entered and ruined it. She’s not lighting the acting world on fire, she played typical black girl roles , yawn, bitch please. Play Michael acting like he didn’t diddle little boys for decades and then we’ll talk.

by Anonymousreply 111August 14, 2021 10:52 PM

Cork Soakers Classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112August 14, 2021 10:53 PM

Janbot is on a meth bender.

by Anonymousreply 113August 14, 2021 10:54 PM

"It's not the men in my life but the life in my men..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114August 14, 2021 10:56 PM

[quote]she played typical black girl roles

Spoken like a true racist. Her roles in For Colored Girls, Why Did I Get Married and Nutty Professor II were not stereotypical "black girl" roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115August 14, 2021 10:58 PM

R100 Unhinged cunt.

by Anonymousreply 116August 14, 2021 10:59 PM

Janbot is here! Ultimate derailer. Always going off unhinged on Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 117August 14, 2021 11:00 PM

Janet has a different nose in every clip posted.

by Anonymousreply 118August 14, 2021 11:03 PM

She named her son Gideon Babe Ruth Howard? Bitch IS nuts.

by Anonymousreply 119August 14, 2021 11:12 PM

Nothing from Janet's FAME days?

by Anonymousreply 120August 14, 2021 11:47 PM

Janet got a role on Fame but Madonna couldn't snag one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121August 15, 2021 12:02 AM

[quote]The problem is that nobody will cast her anymore because of all the bullshit you'll have to put up with from her.

The problem for Debra Winger is that she's 66 years old.

by Anonymousreply 122August 15, 2021 12:34 AM

"I'm not the person you were arguing with and I'm not a Janbot, I'm someone who wanted you to stop derailing the thread so I looked it up."

"I'm not a "JanBot (whatever that is)" either, but the loony at R91 called me one too. That is one crazy fuckhead.

by Anonymousreply 123August 15, 2021 12:39 AM

Debi Wingz is a miraculous talent. We should be thankful she shares her talentz with us.

by Anonymousreply 124August 15, 2021 12:50 AM

She a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 125August 15, 2021 12:55 AM

Debra Winger was at the top of her game in the early 80s with Urban Cowboy, An Officer and a Gentleman, and Terms of Endearment. She’s a natural, no bullshit actress and I’ve mostly admired her early work when she was on the A list.

After Terms Of Endearment in 83, all of her films were big flops. By the time they made A League of their Own in the early 90s, she was not a bankable Hollywood lead actress. Geena Davis had won an Oscar and was coming straight from the Zeitgeist moment that was Thelma and Louise in the early 90s. This has nothing to do with Madonna. Columbia wanted a stronger name to anchor the movie. They realized they made a mistake casting Winger and paid her full salary to get fix it.

by Anonymousreply 126August 15, 2021 1:07 AM

Debra should get an honorary oscar for her cinematic output:

Urban Cowboy

Officer and a Gentleman

Terms of Endearment

Mike's Murder

Betrayed

Black Widow

Shadowlands

A Dangerous Woman

Forget Paris

Rachel Getting Married

by Anonymousreply 127August 15, 2021 1:14 AM

She was truly funny in Forget Paris.

Did she get along with Billy Crystal?

by Anonymousreply 128August 15, 2021 1:23 AM

You forgot Legal Eagles @r128. She had a applaudable career high with those first three movies. All three were massive.

by Anonymousreply 129August 15, 2021 1:24 AM

Good in comedy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130August 15, 2021 1:25 AM

Forget Paris was no When Harry Met Sally. They both looked over the hill and had no chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 131August 15, 2021 1:27 AM

It happens, R126. There doesn't have to be a weighty explanation.

by Anonymousreply 132August 15, 2021 1:30 AM

I remember that period for several years in the 90s when awful Forget Paris was constantly aired on cable.

by Anonymousreply 133August 15, 2021 1:32 AM

You asked for it.

You got it.

by Anonymousreply 134August 15, 2021 1:35 AM

Never liked Debra Winger or found her more compelling than any other actress in her age group. I think she was good in the roles that made her a star (especially Terms) but I think a lot of people could have done them just as well. If she were a Faye Dunaway level talent, I'd understand excuses made for her cunty behavior, but she's at most above average.

by Anonymousreply 135August 15, 2021 1:35 AM

Joseph Gordon-Levitt cast her as his mother in Mr. Corman, his new Apple Tv series. This is what he has to say about her:

When I told my mom that Debra Winger was going to play my mom, she was, I'm not exaggerating, she was moved. Because Debra Winger is a meaningful artist. You know what I mean? Let's face it, the history of Hollywood's portrayal of female characters is not great. And Debra Winger decades ago was already saying, "I'm not going to be reduced to a plot device or a pretty thing. I'm going to play a full human being." And she does it so brilliantly. And I just think she's such a wonderful artist and I'm honored and delighted that she played my mom in Mr. Corman.

by Anonymousreply 136August 15, 2021 1:42 AM

Lynda Carter was another one who exposed her as being one of the worst people in Hollywood. No one will put up with her. She’s the worst.

by Anonymousreply 137August 15, 2021 1:50 AM

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is dumb as a rock.

by Anonymousreply 138August 15, 2021 1:51 AM

Winger has locked the comments on her last two photos on her Instagram account. I think Madonna (or A League of Their Own) stans weren't happy with the comments Debbie made...

by Anonymousreply 139August 15, 2021 1:56 AM

She and John Travolta were probably at peak beauty in "Urban Cowboy." Scott Glen was also sexy as released prisoner in mesh shirt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140August 15, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote]Let's face it, the history of Hollywood's portrayal of female characters is not great.

I've played some great female characters, thank you very much!

by Anonymousreply 141August 15, 2021 1:57 AM

R57 Can you name everyone in those old posters?

by Anonymousreply 142August 15, 2021 1:58 AM

My fave is the slick thriller "Black Widow". I just saw her in "Kajillionaire" and she gave a solid performance as the distant mother in the black comedy.

by Anonymousreply 143August 15, 2021 2:03 AM

R139 Are there really still madonna or a league of there own stans? They must be awfully pathetic and old.

by Anonymousreply 144August 15, 2021 2:05 AM

... and you also said that Debra Winger was one of your favorite actresses, Miss Davis - only for her to shit on you on The View after you died, saying that if she got to old age behaving like you did, she'd kill herself LOL.

by Anonymousreply 145August 15, 2021 2:09 AM

She was going to be in Peggy Sue Got Married with Penny Marshall directing:

[quote]In March, producer Larry Gordon called and asked me to go to the Academy Awards with him. He had produced Terms of Endearment with Jim, and he needed a date for Hollywood’s biggest night. I accepted. I had visited Jim on the set of Terms. Even though I can’t think of anything more boring than being on someone else’s set, I was interested in watching Jim work. It was his first movie, and he was on his game. I knew that I’d learn something. At night we went to Jack Nicholson’s, and [bold]Debra Winger[/bold] was there.

[quote]Jack was always entertaining. After a few hours, some cheerleaders for the Houston Rockets basketball team came over, which pissed off [bold]Debra[/bold], who in turn pissed off Jack, and it ended as one of those nights. Terms of Endearment dominated the Academy Awards, winning five Oscars, including Jack for Best Actor, Shirley for Best Actress, and Jim for Best Director, Best Picture, and Best Adapted Screenplay. It was extraordinary and well deserved, especially for Jim. Later, following the Governor’s Ball, I went to a party at On the Rox, the private club above the Roxy on Sunset, and I saw Debra there. She had been nominated for Best Supporting Actress but didn’t win. Others from Terms had also been nominated and not won, including John Lithgow and Polly Platt. But you’re only human, you know?

[quote][bold]I sat down with Debra, knowing she must have felt like shit, and we talked and smoked for what seemed like the rest of the night. She told me about the next movie she was going to make, a romance called Peggy Sue Got Married. Somehow I had already read the script about this woman who goes back in time and falls in love with her husband again. I liked movies with themes that gave them universal appeal like Peggy Sue’s main question: “If only I could go back in time, would I do the same things?” People could easily identify with those kind of stories. “Why don’t you direct it?” Debra said. Her question surprised me. “I don’t direct,” I said. “Well, maybe you will,” she said.[/bold]

[quote][bold]Debra went to Ray Stark, whose company was producing the movie, and said she wanted me to direct. They were a group of hard-nosed movie veterans with their own definite views, but because they wanted Debra, they agreed to let me direct. But make no mistake about it, they never wanted me. Unfortunately I was too unsophisticated about the business to know that.[/bold]

[quote]I started to work up ideas. I got out pictures from my junior high reunion and compared them to those in the yearbook. Some people looked similar. Others were totally different. I entertained the idea of double casting to make the stars stand out even more. I spoke to Tom Hanks and Sean Penn. I had access to practically everyone thanks to the joint birthday parties that Carrie and I had started to host a few years earlier. We had done two or three of them by this time and they quickly became A-list events.

[quote]I also had deep contacts with the people who worked behind the camera. I spoke with Oscar-winning cinematographer Gordon Wills, who was shooting Perfect. I’d heard he sometimes took over for the director, which was fine by me. I was going to need help. I also talked to production designer Dean Tavoularis, whom I knew through Francis. He’d won an Oscar for The Godfather II and received four other nominations. Not too shabby.

by Anonymousreply 146August 15, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote]Like a coach, I began to put together a team, and as I did a vision began to emerge. I read the script with actors and met with the writers. Debra was there with her dog, who she loved very much. I remember they kissed each other and were very affectionate. I don’t ask. But three weeks into pre-production I was summoned to a meeting with the producers at the studio. I had no idea why, and it turned into an unfriendly inquisition. I was completely unprepared for such a turn. It was like being in front of the KGB. Did you talk to Dean? Did you talk to Gordon? Did you have a meeting with so-and-so? Did you let Debra kiss her dog? The questions went on and on. I felt like I was being accused of a crime. I had no idea what was happening.

[quote]I was officially fired a few days later. I met Howard Koch at his office. He was a large man with a long face and silver hair combed to the side. He got straight to the point. They thought the movie was too big for a first-time director. They would find me another movie, he said. Something family-friendly, like Annie.

[quote]I didn’t want another movie. “You knew I was a first-time director three weeks ago,” I said. “What changed?”

[quote]I went home and retreated to my bedroom. David Geffen and a few other influential friends called on my behalf. My brother sat on the edge of my bed and tried to cheer me up, but as he said, “There’s nothing to cheer about. I can’t even say you’ll get even. You were fired.”

[quote]I did get paid, though I didn’t understand why. “I didn’t do anything,” I told my brother’s partner, Jerry Belson.

[quote]He told me to stop complaining. “That’s my dream in show business,” he said. “To get hired, fired, and paid for doing nothing.”

[quote][bold]In the aftermath Debra Winger dropped out, Kathleen Turner stepped in, and Francis Ford Coppola took over[/bold] and used Dean Tavoularis as his production designer after I’d been given the third degree for merely talking to him.

[quote]“What happened?” Francis asked later. “I don’t know,” I said. And I didn’t. The whole thing just hurt.

[quote]At the end of December, I went to see A Passage to India with Jack Nicholson and Anjelica Huston. The state of California had just passed a law prohibiting smoking in movie theaters. Jack and I smoked anyway.

[quote]Jack and Anjelica and I decided we wanted to have a New Year’s party. None of us, it turned out, had plans, though actually organizing it was a careful negotiation as we were all a little territorial. Jack wanted it at his house, Anjelica wanted it at hers, and I wanted it at mine.

[quote]Finally, Jack got producer Lou Adler to open his Sunset Strip nightclub, On the Rox, and we had a party there. It quickly became the party. Jim Brooks, Deborah Winters, Warren Beatty, [bold]Debra Winger[/bold], Harry Dean Stanton, Tim Hutton . . . everyone came.

by Anonymousreply 147August 15, 2021 2:10 AM

Madonna didn’t like “Barbie doll” Geena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148August 15, 2021 2:33 AM

Debra's threads are always popular. The one about her behavior on Watch What Happens Live made almost 600 comments. She's a certified DL Fave.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149August 15, 2021 2:42 AM

Madonna expressed what her feelings were at that time in a private letter but didn’t bring that to the set. I would say she was pretty professional. Penny’s instincts to pair her with Rosie were pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 150August 15, 2021 2:47 AM

Madonna didn’t have a significant part in the movie. Much ado about nothing.

Debra Winger was fired for being Debra Winger.

by Anonymousreply 151August 15, 2021 2:49 AM

Wow, Penny thinks she's Scorcese. She had one big hit: Big (never saw it, don't like Tom Hanks) and one minor hit (League). That's all.

And she cast Madge because it needed some star power (Geena who?).

by Anonymousreply 152August 15, 2021 2:58 AM

Madonna is well established as box office poison. She was third billed and not a reason for the film’s success.

by Anonymousreply 153August 15, 2021 3:12 AM

Madonna's letter while filming League of the Own:

"Dear Steven

For some reason I thought you were angry with me – because I finked out as a judge at the “Lone Ball”? Because I’m still nice to Herb Ritts?? Because my hair is the wrong color? I hope you will forgive me for all of the above. Because I cannot suffer any more than I have in the past month learning how to play baseball with a bunch of girls (yuk) in Chicago (double yuk) I have a tan, I am dirty all day and I hardly ever wear make-up. Penny Marshall is Lavern – Geena Davis is a Barbie doll and when God decided where the beautiful men were going to live in the world, he did not choose Chicago. I have made a few friends but they are athletes, not actresses. I hate actresses, they have nothing on the house of extravaganza."

Debra sure missed out!

by Anonymousreply 154August 15, 2021 3:43 AM

[quote]A Dangerous Woman is a good film. Shadowlands is a great film. Neither are remotely "forgettable".

A Dangerous Woman is ridiculous. It's basically "retards are scary" packaged in a made-for-TV movie plot.

by Anonymousreply 155August 15, 2021 3:52 AM

I'm surprised Madge is permitted in Chicago after that.

by Anonymousreply 156August 15, 2021 3:52 AM

Winger was miscast in Shadowlands although the character was an American Jew of a certain age. She had zero chemistry with Anthony Hopkins and zero warmth. Plus we’d already seen her character die in Terms of Endearment. Well, at least Anne Bancroft was too fucking old to play the role by 1993. Although she would have been good for it ten years earlier.

by Anonymousreply 157August 15, 2021 3:56 AM

R151 and R153 trolldar why their (should be singular) faves are. Speaks volumes.

Who cares what a private letter says? Madonna didn’t bring it to the set. Everybody describes her as very professional. Madonna absolutely brought box office appeal. Nobody was going to see her in a clunker. But with good reviews, it definitely helped the movie.

by Anonymousreply 158August 15, 2021 6:00 AM

R152 Geena has a career still while hagdonna makes weird instagram videos?

by Anonymousreply 159August 15, 2021 6:04 AM

R159 Oh cunt just stop. We know who you stan for.

by Anonymousreply 160August 15, 2021 6:05 AM

[quote]Winger said she feels the actresses in the film — also including Rosie O'Donnell, Ann Cusack, Tracy Reiner and Anne Ramsay — didn’t train long enough to look convincing. Lori Petty was cited as a possible exception.

Winger sounds like a huge bitch. It's a fun film to watch as a TBS rerun on Sunday afternoons. It's not Shakespeare. It doesn't need to look convincing.

by Anonymousreply 161August 15, 2021 6:07 AM

Debra was great in Urban Cowboy. Filmed in Pasadena and Houston, Texas, she was believable as a southern working class woman. The fact she is a huge snobby cunt shows just how great an actress she is.

by Anonymousreply 162August 15, 2021 6:17 AM

I love Debi Wingz!!!

by Anonymousreply 163August 15, 2021 1:55 PM

[quote]You forgot Legal Eagles

Legal Eagles? You must be kidding. Debra tries and tries, but that movie is weighed down by an over bleached old man of the past trying to be twenty years younger: Robert Redford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164August 15, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote]but that movie is weighed down by an over bleached old man of the past trying to be twenty years younger

No need to bring Darryl Hannah into this.

by Anonymousreply 165August 15, 2021 2:23 PM

Was Debra a cunt when she was recording the E.T. voice?

by Anonymousreply 166August 15, 2021 3:00 PM

She was offered the role in Broadcast News which then went to Holly Hunter. Thank god she didn’t do it, Jane would have come off as a hateful Jewish shrew. At least Hunter’s Southern charm softened her up a bit.

by Anonymousreply 167August 15, 2021 3:11 PM

[quote]It's basically "retards are scary" packaged in a made-for-TV movie plot.

They made that. It was called "Riding the Bus with My Sister."

by Anonymousreply 168August 15, 2021 3:36 PM

ONLY janet jackson movie worth seeing (and only for 15 minutes or so I might add!) is "why did i get married too" and ONLY for that great muscular oiled body (those pecs!) of actor Michael Jai White in the beach scene!...

by Anonymousreply 169August 15, 2021 3:45 PM

Lenz Dunham is signed to play Debi Wingz in the biopic “My Life -your struggle” coming to Netflix this fall.

by Anonymousreply 170August 15, 2021 7:52 PM

DEBRA IS BITCH.

by Anonymousreply 171August 15, 2021 8:01 PM

Now I understand why Scott Glenn slapped TF out of her in Urban Cowboy. I bet that wasn’t in the script.

by Anonymousreply 172August 16, 2021 12:09 AM

I don't like so much of these raisins in my tuna salad.

by Anonymousreply 173August 16, 2021 1:15 AM

"Now I understand why Scott Glenn slapped TF out of her in Urban Cowboy."

Actually John Travolta slapped her too in that movie. "Urban Cowboy" was a love story about two people, Bud and Sissy, who had the mentalities and maturity of middle schoolers. Was the movie audience supposed to LIKE them? I thought they were both total assholes. I wouldn't have given a damn if Bad had fallen off the scaffolding at work and got splattered and I didn't give a shit about Wes slapping Sissy around. They were both so stupid and unlikable I didn't care what happened to them.

The best performance in the film was by Scott Glenn. Madolyn Smith was also very good as Pam. She was so beautiful and elegant. Shows you how dumb Bud was that he would leave her for crazy Sissy.

by Anonymousreply 174August 16, 2021 1:25 AM

What made Penny Marshall such a A list scenster? She was a 70 sitcom star for God’s sake - what made her so tight with these heavyweights (even before directing) - was she their drug supplier?

Yes, I know her brother....but he was just a “TV guy” too. I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 175August 16, 2021 2:41 AM

She backed out because

SHE IS AN THESPIAN

and would not TOLERATE gimmick casting

by Anonymousreply 176August 16, 2021 2:44 AM

Debra has always been bitchy. I think she got this one wrong. I agree with her about the metoo stuff though.

by Anonymousreply 177August 16, 2021 2:57 AM

She was pretty heavily into cocaine back in the day. That, coupled with her her mental issues (she obviously had quite a few problems in that area) made her very hard to work with. Not unlike Marilyn Monroe, who also had a drug problem and in addition was mentally ill. People like that are always "difficult."

by Anonymousreply 178August 16, 2021 4:06 AM

r165 She got pregnant and had to drop out. She was first choice for two other big movies that year Nuts....and Fatal Attraction.

James L. Brooks said at an screening I attended that he auditioned women like crazy for the part and almost settled on one. I wasn't totally happy with her so someone said watch Raising Arizona and he found Holly.

Someone said the woman who almost got the part was Catherine O'Hara. Wow would have really changed her career.

by Anonymousreply 179August 16, 2021 5:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180August 16, 2021 6:20 AM

Oh wow r180 thanks. I just got my info from another poster so I didn't know if it was true. Looks like they knew what they were talking about.

by Anonymousreply 181August 16, 2021 6:39 AM

Could someone cut and paste r180 for non-subscribers? TIA

by Anonymousreply 182August 16, 2021 6:42 AM

I love Debra Winger as an actress. She's fantastic in many of her films.

But she is so unlikeable in interviews and all the stories I've read about her. Insulting A League of Their Own was very disrespectful to Penny Marshall and what she accomplished in that film. The film is turning 30 years old next year, and I'm sure there will be lots of retrospectives about it. I think Winger is still bitter that she was not part of such a beloved box office film. Her career desperately needed a film like A League of Their Own in 1992.

I had no idea that she still got paid for it, though.

I'll have to read Penny Marshall's book. Really interesting stuff. I had no idea she was originally going to direct Peggy Sue Got Married. As much as I love Debra Winger, I think Kathleen Turner was perfect in that film.

by Anonymousreply 183August 16, 2021 6:52 AM

SUBSCRIBE MOIRA WOULD'VE NAILED IT MAY 21, 2020 Catherine O’Hara Almost Played the Holly Hunter Role in Broadcast News By Rebecca Alter

What could’ve been? Photo: Getty Images Moira Rose wouldn’t be caught dead admitting to having flubbed an audition or lost a role, but Catherine O’Hara in real life is a much more open book. In a recent Vanity Fair interview, which features an O’Hara photoshoot by drone, O’Hara reflects on her career in Hollywood, including passing up some more two-dimensional “wife” roles, like the Beverly D’Angelo part in the National Lampoon movies. But one role that she was “desperate” to play, and that she was in the running for, too, was the part of producer Jane Craig in Broadcast News, which ended up earning Holly Hunter a Best Actress Oscar nomination.

O’Hara recalls how director James L. Brooks “called her after her first audition to tell her how amazing she was,” but that she “blew it” so bad with the second audition that she wrote Brooks a letter asking to go in again. The third audition earned her a fourth: a chemistry test with Albert Brooks, which she describes as “a disastrous chemical misfire. On the way out the door, O’Hara remembers James Brooks stopping her and asking, ‘What happened to you?’” Hunter is perfect in Broadcast News and we wouldn’t have it any other way, but it’s definitely fun to imagine the heightened energy O’Hara could have brought to it. She’s no stranger to broadcast TV satire, after all. O’Hara also discusses how both of her sons worked as a set dresser and set constructor on Schitt’s Creek, which is such delightful, adorable knowledge.

My Week In New York

by Anonymousreply 184August 16, 2021 6:58 AM

Before settling on Kathleen Turner for "Romancing the Stone," producer Michael Douglas first considered Jessica Lange, who flatly refused because she was more interested in doing "serious work," and then Debra Winger, but Douglas "was concerned that she might be so crazy--that I just couldn't take a gamble with her in the jungles in Mexico." Apparently, when they met at a Mexican restaurant to discuss the role, Winger bit him.

by Anonymousreply 185August 16, 2021 7:22 AM

I love Debra as an actress, her performance in Terms is one of my all-time faves, and then I fell in love with her again in Rachel, Getting Married. Such a talent, but she sounds like her own worst enemy. She wrote a book maybe ten years ago and I was considering buying it, but then I glanced through it at the bookstore and of course it was just random musings with no coherence and no gossip so I took a pass.

by Anonymousreply 186August 16, 2021 10:14 AM

So John Travolta and Scott Glenn were able to slap tf out of Debra? I bet neither slap were scripted and I bet they begged for multiple takes.

by Anonymousreply 187August 16, 2021 10:58 AM

R185 - what in the f?? And where did you read that?

by Anonymousreply 188August 16, 2021 1:14 PM

She apparently bit Michael Douglas and he mentions it somewhere, r188. I can't find the original source but found mentions of it going back to the early 2000s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189August 16, 2021 1:39 PM

Hmmm, R178. I think I'LL start using that!

by Anonymousreply 190August 16, 2021 2:17 PM

I don't think "ALOTO" would have been a hit had Winger stayed and they didn't cast Madonna. Winger had not been in a hit movie since 1983 (in fact, she hasn't been in one since). Audience didn't like her. Tom Hanks was coming off Bonfire, a huge bomb. I think it would have just faded away. Geena Davis was coming off the success of Thelma and Louise plus she looked beautiful in the film, something Winger would not. Madonna brought attention plus the hit song. Rosie O'Donnell's role was beefed up to play off Madonna and their relationship was one of the highlights of the film.

by Anonymousreply 191August 16, 2021 3:16 PM

Plus Gena had a rich retro Rita Hayworth type look. And looked athletic. She was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 192August 16, 2021 3:52 PM

[quote] Madonna brought attention plus the hit song.

Love that song!

by Anonymousreply 193August 16, 2021 3:56 PM

Kathleen wrote about Debra biting him iin Send Yourself Roses.

by Anonymousreply 194August 16, 2021 4:26 PM

You're right, r194, I just found it on Google Books.

I am never going to forget the fact that Debra Winger bit Michael Douglas at a Mexican restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 195August 16, 2021 4:28 PM

I love Google Books.

by Anonymousreply 196August 16, 2021 4:46 PM

Maybe Deb acts that way because of her head injury.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197August 16, 2021 4:51 PM

A female softball playing friend of mine told me that it was pretty clear Geena Davis was a last-minute replacement since the character was a catcher and a catcher would never be as tall as she is.

by Anonymousreply 198August 16, 2021 4:53 PM

IMO, Debra Winger would have been good in "Peggy Sue." However, the movie would still have Nic Cage in the other role. I like Kathleen Turner, but she and Cage were simply too old and mature to play those roles. Yes, I realize KT was supposed to be older and pretending to be in HS, but still.

by Anonymousreply 199August 16, 2021 4:59 PM

Kathleen really went after Cage in her book. He sued her for libel. I think she claimed he stole a dog or something.

by Anonymousreply 200August 16, 2021 5:05 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201August 16, 2021 5:35 PM

Cage ruins Peggy Sue with that horrible voice he does

by Anonymousreply 202August 16, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote] But she is so unlikeable in interviews and all the stories I've read about her. Insulting A League of Their Own was very disrespectful to Penny Marshall and what she accomplished in that film. The film is turning 30 years old next year, and I'm sure there will be lots of retrospectives about it. I think Winger is still bitter that she was not part of such a beloved box office film. Her career desperately needed a film like A League of Their Own in 1992.

I also think she is bitter about it. She knows next year there will be retrospects and probably some anniversary screenings in some cities. Also, there's the Amazon show which only highlight the 1992 film.

by Anonymousreply 203August 17, 2021 12:01 AM

I'd be surprised if there were "retrospectives" and "anniversary screenings" of "A League of Their Own." That movie wasn't all that, but to hear some on this thread tell it it's on a par with "The Wizard of Oz" and "It's A Wonderful Life." and "Gone With The Wind." But it most certainly isn't. A movie with Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell in it? Oh, please.

by Anonymousreply 204August 17, 2021 1:34 AM

R204 yeah it was a solid bit but far from legendary. And I agree if winger (sans Madonna) had been in it it probably wouldn’t have even been a hit. Given she was well past her prime I was surprised she was cast to begin with, tbh.

by Anonymousreply 205August 17, 2021 1:40 AM

R204 Just STFU. No one was comparing it in that way. Some of you stans of other divas just cannot STAND for anything remotely positive said about Madonna. ATOTO was critically praised and was a box office smash. It has one of the most quoted lines in movie history. It was a good, solid movie which is, yes, beloved by many. Madonna and Rosie really could have had their roles beefed up more. They were funny.

by Anonymousreply 206August 17, 2021 1:42 AM

[quote] I'd be surprised if there were "retrospectives" and "anniversary screenings" of "A League of Their Own." That movie wasn't all that, but to hear some on this thread tell it it's on a par with "The Wizard of Oz" and "It's A Wonderful Life." and "Gone With The Wind." But it most certainly isn't. A movie with Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell in it? Oh, please.

Hi, Debra!!!

Next year when think pieces and essays are written to commemorate the 30th anniversary of a film that dramatized female ballplayers during WWII, they're going to talk about the accomplishments of those women, plus the women who were part of this film - one that you were NOT part of (remember??). They'll talk about the achievements of Penny Marshall and how ACAMEDY AWARD-WINNING actress Geena Davis stepped in for you, and Madonna's theme song for the film became her TENTH number one song.

What will they say about you? They'll basically say that you were let go from the film and that you were and still are a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 207August 17, 2021 2:05 AM

R207 oh come off it really. I’m not that poster and I’m not Debs — it was definitely a hit, and the career it helped most actually was Tom Hanks — but it’s not a legendary movie that’s even on the level of When Harry Met Sally that’s gonna get Godfather level retrospectives.

That said, Pennys book...maybe I should get it finally it sounds dishy unlike most autobios. She should have done an autotape that would have been hilarious. Maybe Fred Armisen can finally step in her place.

by Anonymousreply 208August 17, 2021 2:22 AM

R206 and R207 are idiots in love with that dumb movie. They think just because they love it and worship it everyone else does or should. Silly twats.

by Anonymousreply 209August 17, 2021 2:40 AM

Rosie and Madonna were kind of amateurish. Too much schtick.

by Anonymousreply 210August 17, 2021 6:46 AM

Madonna's film career was so brief. Sensation in 1985 in Desperately Seeking Susan. Over in 1986 with the bomb of Shanghi Surprise. Really over with Who's That Girl.

She should have waited to see what offers Susan brought in and not put together "vehicles" for herself.

by Anonymousreply 211August 17, 2021 6:49 AM

R209-R211 trying too hard.

In love? Cunt, you’re an amateur.

Amateurish schtick? It worked. Try harder.

You WISH. Revisionist history. Do some of you not understand the rest of us having brains and understand facts? We have eyes and ears. Madonna’s 90s movie career was very successful. Two $100 million movie back to back( Dick Tracy and ALOTO). Critical acclaim in ToD, Dangerous Game, Girl 6, Evita (financially successful as well), Four Rooms. You’re such an amateur jealous fraud.

by Anonymousreply 212August 17, 2021 10:57 AM

[quote]What made Penny Marshall such a A list scenster? She was a 70 sitcom star for God’s sake - what made her so tight with these heavyweights (even before directing) - was she their drug supplier? Yes, I know her brother....but he was just a “TV guy” too. I don’t get it.

Her brother wasn't "just a TV guy" though, he wrote for and created some pretty big shows [bold]+[/bold] she was married to Rob Reiner and one of her best friends was Carrie Fisher.

[quote]As the stable couple, our house became a hangout for comedy’s elite. In addition to Albert [Brooks], Phil [Mishkin], and Ricky [Dreyfuss], regulars included Harvey Miller, Jerry Belson, Charles Grodin, Billy Crystal, Ted Bessell, and Jim Brooks. These were the pot-smoking years, and a lot of it was smoked at our house. I cleaned the seeds and stems in a shoebox top. It was a skill, and I was good at it. Some of the guys occasionally brought a girlfriend, but this was mostly a guys-only atmosphere, as was comedy in general, and they didn’t care what women had to say. If a woman tried to make conversation, they just glared at her. They were a bit hostile. The only woman they were sort of impressed with was Louise Lasser, but only because she’d been married to Woody Allen and starred in Take the Money and Run and Bananas, movies they respected. I was also allowed to talk.

[...]

[quote]Back in New York, Lorne arranged for me to meet Carrie Fisher at her place in the Eldorado on Central Park West. He was pals with singer-songwriter Paul Simon, who was dating Carrie, and they thought we’d hit it off. They were right. We’ve been best friends ever since.

Someone create a Penny Marshall thread.

by Anonymousreply 213August 17, 2021 1:13 PM

What was the big memorable line from the movie, referenced upthread?

by Anonymousreply 214August 17, 2021 1:28 PM

There's no crying in baseball! ⚾

by Anonymousreply 215August 17, 2021 1:36 PM

I eat old people’s (Shirley MacLaine’s) excrement!

by Anonymousreply 216August 17, 2021 1:43 PM

R212, you poor twat...it is you who is "trying too hard.." So Madonna was in a few hit movies. So what? A lot of untalented people have finagled their way into a high profile film. Madonna got movie roles because she was Madonna, not because she had any acting talent. I'd say her film career was a failure because she never became the big deal movie star she so devoutly wanted to be. She was just a novelty item in films. But I'm sure you'll just continue to tongue Madonna's asshole and insist she was one of the biggest, brightest movie stars every to grace a screen. You're silly.

by Anonymousreply 217August 17, 2021 1:48 PM

Penny and Rob used to have big dinners at their house when they were married that had the A list of television. Mary Tyler Moore, Carol Burnett, Carl Reiner and Garry Marshall of course.

by Anonymousreply 218August 17, 2021 2:32 PM

The only memorable line related to A League of Their Own came courtesy of Miss Deb Winger herself r214:

"Madonna's movie career speaks for itself."

by Anonymousreply 219August 17, 2021 5:05 PM

Trust me, Fathom Events will have screenings of A League of Their Own next year. They're having 30th Anniversary showings of Backdraft and that movie is far less beloved than League.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220August 17, 2021 5:21 PM

They’re also going kooky this year for Field of Dreams.

by Anonymousreply 221August 17, 2021 6:35 PM

R204: And I'd be surprised if there weren't. I think you underestimate how beloved it is.

I have no doubt there will be little retrospectives & mini-cast reunions (sans Madge, of course) on shows like Good Morning America or The Today Show. (GMA really loves that shit) Especially since it will be the first notable anniversary since Penny Marshall's death. Not to mention, there's ALOTO t.v. series in production that will drop next year.

Netflix has a fun & interesting series titled "The Movies That Made Us" about the production of beloved '80s & '90s films. I bet they make one about ALOTO for S3 (in 2022).

by Anonymousreply 222August 17, 2021 7:40 PM

I've never heard anything, anywhere, that would suggest "A League of Their Own" was a "beloved" film. I don't think it's even that well remembered. Of course the rabid nutcase fans of it on this thread would beg, REALLY beg, to differ. But I think they're just delusional.

by Anonymousreply 223August 17, 2021 7:44 PM

[quote] in production that will drop next year.

🙄

by Anonymousreply 224August 17, 2021 7:49 PM

Sure.....right.

She's such a miserable hag, that's why her career ended early.

by Anonymousreply 225August 17, 2021 7:57 PM

#2 on this guy's list.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226August 17, 2021 7:57 PM

#8 on this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227August 17, 2021 7:58 PM

When I did have cable TV, ALOTO was probably one of the movies I'd watch (multi-task) if it was on.

by Anonymousreply 228August 17, 2021 8:00 PM

And there's Marla Hooch.

by Anonymousreply 229August 17, 2021 9:04 PM

The dog who played opposite Tom Hanks in that detective movie?

by Anonymousreply 230August 17, 2021 9:06 PM

R117, R119, R223 are all the same person who stans for a certain “rival” diva of Madonna so they cannot STAND anything positive associated with her. Twat, no amount of revisionist history will change the facts surrounding this film or Madonna’s film career. It was more successful than most want to admit. It is just her flops were endlessly dragged unlike any other star’s flops. Oh well, she’s a big target for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 231August 17, 2021 9:50 PM

No, A League of Their Own is just not THAT memorable, and Madonna is even less memorable in it. And I'm a fan of both her and the film. It's a sweet film, but in terms of cultural staying power its right up there with 'Mermaids'. It just wasn't the cultural event some are trying to make it out to be.

by Anonymousreply 232August 17, 2021 10:15 PM

R232 It is a very well referenced movie. It is always on cable. Most people like it. Madonna was supporting and was funny.

by Anonymousreply 233August 17, 2021 10:39 PM

R232: And yet, in 2012 was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

by Anonymousreply 234August 17, 2021 10:43 PM

I barely remember Madonna in the movie. She was wallpaper to Tom and Geena.

by Anonymousreply 235August 17, 2021 11:07 PM

R235 If you say so. *Snicker*

by Anonymousreply 236August 17, 2021 11:23 PM

Tom Hanks needs to throw a baseball glove at this A League of Their Own Troll. They are beyond insufferable and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 237August 18, 2021 12:18 AM

Madonna made Rosie O’Donnell look comparatively talented.

by Anonymousreply 238August 18, 2021 1:01 AM

R238 Give it UP. You’re deranged and are in a mental meltdown due to Gaga getting dragged in multiple threads for her looks and acting.

by Anonymousreply 239August 18, 2021 1:04 AM

Lady Gaga is overrated and just as narcissistic as Madge, but at least she has an Oscar nomination, a box office hit with a film she’s a lead in, and buzz for that upcoming Gucci film where she’s top billed.

Madonna never achieved that in Hollywood. Capiche?

by Anonymousreply 240August 18, 2021 1:13 AM

R240 i notice what you did. You really didn’t say anything negative about Gaga. You think you’re so smart. Trolldar doesn’t lie.

by Anonymousreply 241August 18, 2021 1:35 AM

I don't know why all of you are so upset over Debra Winger. Yeah, she's a dysfunctional jealous old bitch. So?

Unlike 99.9% of current and has-been Hollywood stars, DEBRA TALKS. She's not protecting anyone or anything, she lets it all hang out. I miss the days when actors ratted each other out daily. When actors would go on talk shows and rip the latest hot shot director a new one, or reveal an old beloved actor or director was a perv. It was SO entertaining!

by Anonymousreply 242August 18, 2021 3:12 PM

R242, Debra’s bitching isn’t entertaining or revealing. She’s just a miserable old crow who reeks of desperation and regret that she cunted away her career.

by Anonymousreply 243August 18, 2021 5:07 PM

[quote]Madonna did great to good in: Desperately Seeking Susan

Seriously? Anyone who knew Madonna when she first came to NYC and was trying to get famous, absolutely knew she was playing version of herself in this film. Don't be ridiculous, that wasn't a character Madonna played in this film, she was playing 'Madonna'.

by Anonymousreply 244August 18, 2021 5:38 PM

DEBRA TALKS because DEBRA has NO FRIENDS.

by Anonymousreply 245August 18, 2021 6:47 PM

[quote] Don't be ridiculous, that wasn't a character Madonna played in this film, she was playing 'Madonna'.

So, she was doing "The Method."

by Anonymousreply 246August 18, 2021 7:58 PM

R244 Dear, most actors are simply playing themselves. Julia Roberts is Julia Roberts in every fucking movie, for example. Madonna ate the screen in DSS. She turned a supporting role and made it seem it was the starring role with her charisma and screen presence.

by Anonymousreply 247August 18, 2021 11:57 PM

Julia Roberts could play Bill Clinton and she’d still laugh that annoying laugh she does for every movie.

by Anonymousreply 248August 18, 2021 11:58 PM

I actually like quite a few of Madonna's films - and performances. Desperately Seeking Susan and Who's That Girl? are endlessly entertaining and quintessentially '80s.

She's decent in Dick Tracy, charming in A League of Their Own, absolutely great in Dangerous Game and effective in Evita.

Her truly bad films are Shanghai Surprise and The Next Best Thing, which is just a vanity project and poorly written. Body of Evidence at least has some campy appeal. SS and TNBT are unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 249August 19, 2021 1:01 AM

Madonna’s mistake may have been to not just play herself. Tarantino has actually said he thinks Madonna is one of the few in her movies who actually tries to get into a character. He thinks she’s been largely successful.

by Anonymousreply 250August 19, 2021 1:05 AM

"Madonna ate the screen in DSS. She turned a supporting role and made it seem it was the starring role with her charisma and screen presence."

Shut up Madge, you delusional old hag.

by Anonymousreply 251August 19, 2021 1:26 AM

"Tarantino has actually said he thinks Madonna is one of the few in her movies who actually tries to get into a character. He thinks she’s been largely successful."

Who cares what he thinks? He's an insane asshole. And really stupid, too, judging by that comment.

by Anonymousreply 252August 19, 2021 1:29 AM

[quote][R244] Dear, most actors are simply playing themselves. Julia Roberts is Julia Roberts in every fucking movie, for example. Madonna ate the screen in DSS. She turned a supporting role and made it seem it was the starring role with her charisma and screen presence.

Of course, that's an utter load of bollocks. Versatile actors and actresses, mostly character performers (who actually have more longevity than 'movie stars' whose careers are based on charisma and their looks), never play the same characters over and over again.

I cannot stand Julia Roberts, you are giving me an incredibly poor example. I'm not a huge Meryl Streep fan, but she's amazing, she plays all sorts of characters, always gets the accents right, she becomes the person and that's not about mimicry. You don't see her, you see the character, that's essentially what acting is about, the performer transcending their own public image. MS is million times better than Julia R.

I won't even put Madonna into the category of actress, she isn't. She's a dancer who ended up a 'singer' and not a very good one. I've seen better acting in school plays and Off Off Off Broadway! I've seen better acting by porn actresses in the scenes where they are not fucking. 😂 🤣 Madonna was horrendous in the Broadway play David Mamet's Speed the Plow.

WTF does charisma have to do with the actual craft of acting. Acting is about much more than charisma and presence. Damn, you don't know shit about what acting entails. Fashion models have tons of charisma and presence., very few translate from posing in magazines and strutting the runways, to the screen, few have succeeded as actresses.

by Anonymousreply 253August 19, 2021 1:34 AM

Madonna is irritating and obnoxious in Who's That Girl. I wanted the tiger to eat her character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254August 19, 2021 1:42 AM

I am loving the meltdown from the one anti-Madonna loon. Trolldar shows who you stan and it is no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 255August 19, 2021 1:49 AM

A big problem of Madonnas acting career was you could never see anyone onscreen but her…Madonna. She was wise to give it up instead of continually beating her head up against a brick wall over it.

by Anonymousreply 256August 19, 2021 2:18 AM

With the right roles she would have been fine. Though her charisma is leading lady, she did best in supporting.

by Anonymousreply 257August 19, 2021 2:34 AM

I think I speak for many when I say to R255, R256 and R257: SHUT UP YOU ASSHOLE FUCKTARD MADONNA FANGURL! Your insane love for Madge is vomit inducing.

by Anonymousreply 258August 19, 2021 2:45 AM

R258 Trolldar this and see who it stans. All makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 259August 19, 2021 2:47 AM

Only on the DL would someone consider Madonna a credible film star.

QT is an ass kisser.

by Anonymousreply 260August 19, 2021 4:35 PM

Madonna was not the star of A League of Their Own! Now where near it. She had a forgettable dance number and farted around in the field background with Rosie O’Donnell while Geena Davis was front and center with Lori Petty and Tom Hanks.

by Anonymousreply 261August 19, 2021 7:42 PM

A bit off topic - I was thinking of the 1980s Madonna bomb Who's That Girl, I saw it on HBO a bazillion years ago. A major laugh for me was a spoiled WASP rich girl named Wendy Worthington from Scarsdale. In reality, a character like that from Scarsdale would be a JAP called Lisa Finkelstein. It would have made the movie far better if they went with that.

by Anonymousreply 262August 19, 2021 9:17 PM

R261 and yet she was on the movie poster and listed above the title.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263August 19, 2021 9:38 PM

R261 Oh cunt keep dreaming.

by Anonymousreply 264August 19, 2021 10:18 PM

[quote]She had a forgettable dance number.

With the Big Ragu. And I bet you couldn't do what she did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265August 19, 2021 11:07 PM

I would have loved to have seen Debra and Madonna in a scene.

The cunt-wattage would have been off the charts!!

by Anonymousreply 266August 20, 2021 12:55 AM

The Madonna troll has too much time on his hands. Small dick energy.

by Anonymousreply 267August 20, 2021 2:23 AM

R267 For real. Its meltdown over people saying nice things about Madonna reads mental basket case and lonely power bottom.

by Anonymousreply 268August 20, 2021 2:53 AM

Madonna's bad acting is so strange. She was great in music videos but so tense when acting.

You'd think she could have had the best coaches help her. I took acting classes in college and people got better just with our teachers. Madonna could afford the best.

by Anonymousreply 269August 20, 2021 3:46 AM

R269 She quit acting classes after DSS. Granted, she was busy. Madonna’s problem is she never stopped doing stuff long enough to do somethings she needed like attend acting classes. Still, she was more than passable in plenty of films. It’s so odd how bad she was in just 4 movies. I agree with the upthread post about the last parts of Swept Away. Her acting strangely drastically improved.

by Anonymousreply 270August 20, 2021 4:03 AM

But big stars sometimes have onset coaches who plan the whole thing with them.

Madonna is like that when she talks. She's overly cautious like she is so busy trying to say the right thing. I think that affected her acting.

(and if she had never done Shanghai Surprise with Sean she might have been given the chance to grow. They were too public a couple and people wanted to see them fail.)

by Anonymousreply 271August 20, 2021 4:06 AM

She didn't capitalize on the success of Evita and that the public warmed to her in that film. She chose to do The Next Worst Thing that came out about three or four years later.

She should have done another musical for the brief period they were in vogue again with Moulin Rouge and Chicago (which she was in the running to do).

by Anonymousreply 272August 20, 2021 4:08 AM

She wasn’t like that in interviews early on. Once the media was out to destroy her, especially conservative media, she started getting very cautious. However, her Nightline interview was one of the best interviews ever. She was sharp, witty, and gave the interviewer no room. She made smart, cogent points to every question. The SEX backlash really fucked her up. Having a baby healed her which lead to her having great interviews during the Evita/ROL era. Then Guy Fucking Ritchie did a number on her.

by Anonymousreply 273August 20, 2021 4:13 AM

We didn't she do Chicago? Was she up for Velma? I could see her doing well in that part. CZJ was probably better but Madge could have handled it.

Roxie not so much.

by Anonymousreply 274August 20, 2021 4:14 AM

She was fucking fantastic in Dangerous Game. If she could give performances like this, she would have had a very happy movie career. She was also great hosting SNL and in her few guest spots.

by Anonymousreply 275August 20, 2021 4:14 AM

R274 She was upset they fired Goldie Hawn for her age. So Madonna quit. Big mistake.

by Anonymousreply 276August 20, 2021 4:15 AM

“ Both The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times praised Dangerous Game, with Janet Maslin of the former complimenting both Keitel and Madonna for their acting, and admiring the film's "raw, corrosive" quality: "Shot in a grainy, urgent style with occasional lapses into video, it has a fury that goes well beyond the story at hand, and an energy level that transcends the story's self-indulgence. This tough, abrasive film maker is seldom without his deadly serious side. 'Dangerous Game' is angry and painful, and the pain feels real."[4] Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times found it "compelling and explosive", saying, "[I]t's a film of no-holds-barred language, passion and rage, but it's a move away from genre, more a chamber drama than action movie in which violence is more psychic than physical." He called Keitel "the ideal Ferrara star, his control, volcanic emotions and endless capacity for expressiveness and revelation matching up with those very qualities in Ferrara himself." Madonna, he said, "reveals the vulnerability as well as the strength of both the actress and the character she is playing."

by Anonymousreply 277August 20, 2021 4:17 AM

Yeah, I remember seeing a picture of Goldie and Madonna leaving a restaurant in Us Magazine or another magazine whose name I cannot recall. They were obviously in talks about doing Chicago.

Too bad, that would have been really interesting to see them together onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 278August 20, 2021 4:18 AM

278 Janbot?

by Anonymousreply 279August 20, 2021 4:24 AM

I will never tire of Deb Winger's shitstirring drama. Bitch is a gonna be a cunt to her dying day. She is grade A drama and always spills the goods. I fucking love thus crazy bitch.

by Anonymousreply 280August 20, 2021 4:25 AM

She caused a big scandal when she did that play on Broadway with LuPone and David Mamet.

Hated Mamet. Don't know how she felt about LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 281August 20, 2021 4:27 AM

Debra didn’t spill anything here. She just showed what an idiot she is and reminded us how glad we are she didn’t play that part.

by Anonymousreply 282August 20, 2021 4:27 AM

R280 she lives such a drama free life these days though (Catskills, married to the same guy for 25 or so years, aged into looking like a UWS Jewish Women’s Study prof), so on the one hand it looks like she reallt grew up and grew out of whatever bullshit she was going through (and putting everyone else through). But then she opens her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 283August 20, 2021 4:31 AM

Punch both of their D list obnoxious mouths!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284August 20, 2021 6:24 PM

[quote]She didn't capitalize on the success of Evita and that the public warmed to her in that film. She chose to do The Next Worst Thing that came out about three or four years later.

She was going to do that Meryl Streep movie where she played the music teacher. I think she had even started rehearsing for it, learning the violin when all of a sudden it was announced she was out.

The Next Best Thing was supposedly a different story before she got attached to it. She requested changes like having the character be a yoga teacher, because Madonna was big into yoga at that time.

by Anonymousreply 285August 20, 2021 6:31 PM

R285 TNBT was her worst mistake. I don’t know anyone who likes that movie, but I know a good number of non or casual fans who enjoyed Swept Away. It killed her momentum and enabled her critics to go for blood.

by Anonymousreply 286August 20, 2021 9:56 PM

Swept Away is worse. Not that TNBT wasn’t horrible, it was. But it wasn’t like watching paint dry the way SA was.

by Anonymousreply 287August 20, 2021 10:01 PM

R287 I know people who liked Swept Away. I don’t know a soul who liked TNBT.

I’d have loved to have seen what David Fincher could do with Madonna in a movie. He adored her.

by Anonymousreply 288August 20, 2021 10:05 PM

R288 a guy I used to know liked NBT, but he was a Madonna fanatic who thought she could do no wrong. Interesting that after she had some momentum in the 90s, including her globe win for Evita, with her acting, she killed it off once and for all with these two stupid vanity projects. I’ll give her credit for pulling the plug on it instead of continuing to embarrass herself.

by Anonymousreply 289August 20, 2021 10:20 PM

R289 She didn’t pick the right projects. She should have done Chicago, but quit in a huff over Goldie being fired. She should have done supporting roles. She was so good on SNL hosting and when she did guest spots. She needed a strong director and/or no pressure. Movie-wise, she could not handle the pressure with Evita being a huge exception. Her various dying scenes were superb. TNBT is hard to watch. Well, I’d never put myself through that again.

by Anonymousreply 290August 20, 2021 10:26 PM

Madonna was on her best behavior with Evita and A League of Their Own because she was determined to do a good job and prove she was the right choice for the roles. She listened to her directors and did what they asked. She got messy with The Next Best Thing, and with her buddies Rupert and Ryan Murphy on hand to support her, she tried to throw her weight around, and poor 74-year-old John Schlesinger, freshly recovered from quadruple heart surgery, couldn't control her and spent months in hospital ruing the day he ever met Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 291August 20, 2021 10:35 PM

Yes, such a mistake. Schlesinger couldn’t handle her. She’s always been described as very professional and polite on her films. She’s never had diva behavior. She only ever acted out with Abel Ferrara (but he got a fantastic performance from her), and Schlesinger. And with the latter, it was just about the script. Michael Vartan said she was very pleasant and professional.

by Anonymousreply 292August 20, 2021 10:39 PM

Lori Petty won the part of kid sister, Kit, over all others, partly because she had the same coloring as Debra Winger--dark hair, blues eyes. I definitely see a resemblance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293August 20, 2021 11:55 PM

Madonna behaved on the film sets of League and Evita because Penny Marshall and Alan Parker were the directors and they were in charge. They were not going to take her shit, and she knew that. She had to beg Parker for the role so she knew she had to be nice to him.

I hate The Next Best Thing because it is a vanity project. She plays a yoga teacher was stupid because we all knew she was into yoga at the time. If she had branched out and actually played a school teacher, that would have been interesting.

The only interesting scene in TNBT is when Madonna's character laments that she is aging.

by Anonymousreply 294August 21, 2021 12:27 AM

Good that they fired her. She was obviously going to make it a miserable shoot which would have gone against the whole "female solidarity" feel of the picture.

Winger really seemed to be threatened by other women. This article also mentions she was a cunt to Daryl Hannah on the set of Legal Eagles. WTF is wrong with her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295August 21, 2021 7:25 AM

Didn't she get fired from Music of the Heart for a fight with Wes Craven about script changes or something. Madonna must have been so humiliated when they hired Streep of all people and Streep even got nominated for it. (the one nomination of hers I don't think she deserved.)

by Anonymousreply 296August 21, 2021 7:37 AM

R296 No, she quit. She didn’t clash at all with Wes Craven. He said she was very easy to work with. I’m not completely sure if it was to make TNBT, but I think it was.

by Anonymousreply 297August 21, 2021 6:52 PM

There was no way she could pull off Music of the Heart. But I would have been interested in seeing her try.

by Anonymousreply 298August 21, 2021 7:06 PM

R297, They hadn't even started shooting when Madonna and Wes parted ways over "creative differences." Madge kept demanding re-writes up to the shooting date, and Craven refused to give in. He wanted to make HIS movie, not Madonna's.

by Anonymousreply 299August 21, 2021 7:07 PM

R299 That’s not what happened.

by Anonymousreply 300August 21, 2021 7:16 PM

There were creative differences, but Wes Craven said it was amicable. Also, the movie was not good and was a flop.

by Anonymousreply 301August 21, 2021 7:20 PM

R269 not really strange or surprising. Same reason most models can’t act. They confuse image and attitude with acting. It’s not.

Same reason why Demi Moore, though neither of the above, has always been a shit actress.

by Anonymousreply 302August 21, 2021 8:48 PM

[quote][R299] That’s not what happened.

《 Soon Madonna was rapidly learning the violin – and very well. There was just one tiny problem. “I wanted to shoot the script,” Craven says, “and she wanted to rewrite it.”

Exit Madonna. 》

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303August 21, 2021 9:30 PM

Deb Winger is my favorite trouble maker.

by Anonymousreply 304August 22, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote]She caused a big scandal when she did that play on Broadway with LuPone and David Mamet. Hated Mamet. Don't know how she felt about LuPone.

Yes, the play was "Speed the Plow", I saw it, Madonna was awful in it. Big scandal? More like bad reviews. I sure didn't go to play to see Madonna, I got a few free tickets and went.

She "hated' David Mamet huh? One of America's most important playwrights. This woman is tone-deaf and clueless, she's not very bright either. Laughable. Madonna is such a tedious hack. When will she finally go away, enjoy her money and spend time with all her kids.

Who actually cares what she thinks? Obviously, a lot of drooling fans at DL sure do, lol

by Anonymousreply 305August 22, 2021 1:11 AM

I think they were talking about a Mamet play Winger did with LuPone a few years ago r305

I was confused at first, too, when I read it because Madonna was in Speed the Plow in 1988 but not with LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 306August 22, 2021 1:13 AM

Madonna was mad jealous of Whitney Houston, who achieved a level of Hollywood success that Madonna didn’t.

She was paid $10 million for The Preacher’s Wife.

by Anonymousreply 307August 22, 2021 1:56 AM

[quote]She was going to do that Meryl Streep movie where she played the music teacher. I think she had even started rehearsing for it, learning the violin when all of a sudden it was announced she was out.

Yeah, I’m sure the producers were HUGELY disappointed when Madonna dropped out and they had to replace her with Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 308August 22, 2021 2:13 AM

R306 and R307 and R308 Trolldar it. You’ll see why its a frothing at the mouth Madonna hater.

by Anonymousreply 309August 22, 2021 2:14 AM

R309 = Janbot

by Anonymousreply 310August 22, 2021 2:15 AM

306/7/8 is Janbot? Figures

by Anonymousreply 311August 22, 2021 2:18 AM

[Quote] Madonna was mad jealous of Whitney Houston, who achieved a level of Hollywood success that Madonna didn’t. She was paid $10 million for The Preacher’s Wife.

I don't think anyone could be jealous of Whitney once Bobby Brown began to bring her down. Whitney OD'd on the set of one of those mid 1990s movies.

by Anonymousreply 312August 22, 2021 2:25 AM

I'm r306. How am I Janbot when I am pointing out that r305 made a mistake about which Broadway show they were referencing?

I was correcting them on the play. The play they thought the poster was referring to was Speed the Plow but the play they were referring to was The Anarchist.

Frankly, someone who keeps tracking and following someone's posts is just as creepy as Janbot. Probably creepier because you're actually stalking people. Get a life.

by Anonymousreply 313August 22, 2021 2:47 AM

For some reason I have r306 blocked. I meant to trolldar 305/7/8.

by Anonymousreply 314August 22, 2021 3:11 AM

There is no way in DL hell that Miss Debra Winger is not a a DL icon. She's everything the DL loves in a female movie star.

by Anonymousreply 315August 22, 2021 5:31 AM

R315 Not really.

by Anonymousreply 316August 22, 2021 5:36 AM

She's dead to DL ever since her Lynda Carter treachery.

by Anonymousreply 317August 22, 2021 5:50 AM

After Deb who are among the most universally known difficult actresses?

by Anonymousreply 318August 22, 2021 5:52 AM

Jason Patric.

by Anonymousreply 319August 22, 2021 5:52 AM

R315 she difficult, she's bitchy to a cunt degree, she never met drama she couldn't start, she has an issue and bad mouths almost every costar, fights with almost every director and never gives a fuck what she says? The only thing she's missing is a level of glamour that she makes up for in unwavering cuntitude.

by Anonymousreply 320August 22, 2021 5:55 AM

Every co-star? What did she say about Anthony Hopkins?

by Anonymousreply 321August 22, 2021 5:57 AM

ALOMST hon

by Anonymousreply 322August 22, 2021 5:59 AM

[quote] Suuuuure, Janet

That's Academy Award-nominee Janet to you! These are good times for poetic justice, but you're just nutty!

by Anonymousreply 323August 22, 2021 6:02 AM

Yes, I assumed the person who said Madonna "hated" Mamet, was referencing when she worked with Mamet on his play Speed the Plow.. If that was the case, that Madonna had bad things to say about Mamet, I would not be surprised. She's always seemed so bitter, angry and mean, does she like anyone? Is she ever happy? Her smiles are so fake. She seems downright miserable, she reminds me of Trump. It's as if she can never be out of the limelight, because that's all she lives for.

It would be laughable putting down Mamet, especially as people will remember him years from now, his plays will still be deemed important.

Madonna and her 'music' won't be as memorable as Mamet or up there with most classic pop music, the type of pop which stands the test of time. Madonna will be remembered for her silly controversies than her actual musical talent. Besides,, she steals so many of 'her' ideas. Someone has an entire blog dedicated to proving everything that Madonna steals, from her imagery, to her music and well, pretty much everything.

I did see Speed the Plow and Madonna sucked. It was obvious, the only reason she was chosen to appear, she was extremely popular at the time, the producers wanted to fill the seats. I cannot believe they truly thought she could act. The producers figured Madonna fans would buy anything with her name attached to it.

by Anonymousreply 324August 22, 2021 6:35 AM

Madonna's past obsession never made any sense to me in that she actually never seemed to make an effort to get better or lose the Madonna in any role. She is and has always been a novelty in any role she's attempted. Evita, the 3 hour music video included.

by Anonymousreply 325August 22, 2021 6:38 AM

R324 and 325 trying too hard.

by Anonymousreply 326August 22, 2021 6:40 AM

I was the one who brought up Mamet. I meant Winger hated him and bad mouthed him to the press.

Madonna I don't think had any problems with him except she thought doing the same play every night was boring.

by Anonymousreply 327August 22, 2021 6:42 AM

The two male leads in Speed The Plow said Madonna was great to work with.

by Anonymousreply 328August 22, 2021 6:46 AM

They must have plowed her.

by Anonymousreply 329August 22, 2021 6:48 AM

329 blocked hmmmm

by Anonymousreply 330August 22, 2021 6:50 AM

Her career went downhill since she was Wonder Girl.

by Anonymousreply 331August 22, 2021 6:52 AM

R330 is a racist who rapes little boys.

by Anonymousreply 332August 22, 2021 6:52 AM

Frank Rich actually praised Madonna's work in Speed the Plow

by Anonymousreply 333August 22, 2021 6:53 AM

Then he's a shill and a bad critic. How has one man managed to hold Broadway hostage for so long?

by Anonymousreply 334August 22, 2021 6:57 AM

He stopped reviewing Broadway like 20 years ago r334.

by Anonymousreply 335August 22, 2021 7:08 AM

We're still paying for the damage he did today. Him and John Simon.

by Anonymousreply 336August 22, 2021 7:09 AM

How r336?

by Anonymousreply 337August 22, 2021 7:12 AM

Look at how bad Broadway got after the end of the Golden Age. I don't mean just mediocre and disappointing, I mean just plain bad.

by Anonymousreply 338August 22, 2021 7:13 AM

Her acting career speaks for itself

by Anonymousreply 339August 22, 2021 7:15 AM

Let me tell you about Debra Winger.

by Anonymousreply 340August 22, 2021 7:20 AM

[quote][R324] and 325 trying too hard.

Not trying too hard at all, dear. Just telling you and the other Madonna fans, the cold hard facts.

Madonna fans will never admit, she's mediocre musically and nothing more than a plagiarist. She's definitely not an actress.

Madonna is basically a dancer, not an actual music artist. If I wanted to see a stage show, I'd go see a Broadway musical. If I wanted to see dance, I'd go to the ballet or to see an avant-garde dance troupe, like Merce Cunningham, or Twyla Tharp, dancing to the music of Phillip Glass.

I totally blame MTV for Madonna's success, they made artifice and spectacle more important than the actual music.

by Anonymousreply 341August 22, 2021 7:49 AM

[quote]I totally blame MTV for Madonna's success, they made artifice and spectacle more important than the actual music.

Agreed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342August 22, 2021 7:51 AM

I like Debra. She sounds exhausting AF, but I love her performances.

by Anonymousreply 343August 22, 2021 9:50 AM

[quote] Lori Petty won the part of kid sister, Kit, over all others, partly because she had the same coloring as Debra Winger--dark hair, blues eyes. I definitely see a resemblance.

Moira Kelly was signed on to play Kit. But, she had injured her ankle filming The Cutting Edge and dropped out of A League of Their own. Lori Petty replaced Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 344August 22, 2021 2:34 PM

R320 Shirley MacLaine

by Anonymousreply 345August 22, 2021 2:42 PM

Weird but Moria Kelly would look more likely to be Geena Davis' sister than Lori Petty. And Winger and Petty definitely look alike.

by Anonymousreply 346August 22, 2021 4:20 PM

Winger reminds me of Barbara Stanwyck in the sense that while she’s not a classic beauty, she projects an honest, hard edged sex appeal mixed in with a little bit of vulnerability and neurosis. But unlike Stanwyck, she lacks professionalism. Too bad because she’s mesmerizing onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 347August 22, 2021 4:23 PM

It's easy to say someone lacks professionalism when you're not party to the abuse endemic in show business.

by Anonymousreply 348August 23, 2021 1:57 AM

[quote] It's easy to say someone lacks professionalism when you're not party to the abuse endemic in show business.

Hi Debra!!

Yes, so farting in someone's face, acting unprofessional, trashing co-stars in interviews decades later are all as a result of Debra's abuse which is inherent in show business.

This cunt had a whole film made about her by Rosanna Arquette.

She's had opportunity after opportunity to redeem her career and be A-List again and keeps sabotaging them with her shitty attitude. She still gets work despite her horrible reputation. She's rude to fans on public television.

The only abuse in her case is the abuse she inflicts on others because of her shitty attitude.

And I say all this as a fan.

by Anonymousreply 349August 23, 2021 2:10 AM

Wait... we're taking Shirley MacLaine's transcendental self as gospel?

by Anonymousreply 350August 23, 2021 2:11 AM

Winger's greatest sin is that she's taken kitchen table talk into print?

by Anonymousreply 351August 23, 2021 2:13 AM

[Quote] She's had opportunity after opportunity to redeem her career and be A-List again

She left the A List as middle age approached. She has opportunities to get back on it? Doubtful. In film, there's Streep over 40 and then everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 352August 23, 2021 2:14 AM

[quote]She left the A List as middle age approached. She has opportunities to get back on it? Doubtful. In film, there's Streep over 40 and then everyone else.

Streep is a good actress, but she continually gets offered roles because she’s professional and easy to work with. Neither of which applies to mega-cunt Winger.

by Anonymousreply 353August 23, 2021 7:54 PM

DEBRA IS BITCH

by Anonymousreply 354August 23, 2021 7:58 PM

[quote]so farting in someone's face

Why was Shirley's head so close to Winger's asshole?

by Anonymousreply 355August 23, 2021 11:49 PM

She was sitting down?

by Anonymousreply 356August 23, 2021 11:50 PM

Deb is a mental nut job.

by Anonymousreply 357August 23, 2021 11:52 PM

Debra Winger will be remembered for THREE roles- in Urban Cowboy, Terms Of Endearment and as WONDER GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 358August 24, 2021 12:05 AM

Her best was URBAN COWBOY of which my mom had an extra role and met all of them. I wasn’t born until ‘85. Filmed in Pasadena, Texas.

by Anonymousreply 359August 24, 2021 12:13 AM

What am I, r358? Shopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 360August 24, 2021 1:03 AM

^^^^^chopped liver.

by Anonymousreply 361August 24, 2021 1:04 AM

R360- You're right. I forgot to mention that movie. She will be remembered for FOUR roles- Urban Cowboy, Officer And A Gentleman, Terms Of Endearment and WONDER GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 362August 24, 2021 1:05 AM

OH DEAR it's the

oh dear troll

by Anonymousreply 363August 24, 2021 1:06 AM

r148, this was one of the few tolerable Madonna performances. Does she now realize that if it weren't for her Geena wouldn't have had the role. IRONIC.

I liked Geena in the role and I think Winger could have pulled it off also. Debra Winger took herself too seriously

by Anonymousreply 364August 24, 2021 1:10 AM

Sissy didn’t look like a Pasadena girl from 1980. She read more 1980 Channelview or Texas City. Pasadena of 1980 was middle class frau housewife hell.

by Anonymousreply 365August 24, 2021 1:14 AM

a League of Their Own did next to nothing to Geena's career. Davis' success unexpectedly plummeted with two flops, Angie and Hero. Then she made two back-to-back movies with her then-husband, Renny Harlin. The first was the jaw-droppingly bad Cutthroat Island (1995), which bombed so hard at the box office, it remains one of Hollywood's most unsuccessful movies. Then came another underwhelming action thriller, The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996). After this shitfest, she was absent from the screen during three years, only to return with a mom role in Stuart Little. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 366August 24, 2021 1:37 AM

The Long Kiss Goodnight is great though. The Renny association didn't help and the fart smell from Cutthroat Island still lingered strongly when it was released. But Geena and Samuel Jackson are great in it.

by Anonymousreply 367August 24, 2021 1:46 AM

ALOTO did a lot for her career. She squandered it.

by Anonymousreply 368August 24, 2021 1:54 AM

Maybe, Geena's tooth to gum ratio was a negative issue for her career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369August 24, 2021 4:21 AM

Debra doesn't suffer fools but she takes it too far publicly. I don't think she seems remotely crazy.

And the people she's shit talked - egomaniacs like Shirley MacLaine or Richard Gere (anyone who saw the humorless Gere on Graham Norton several years ago knows), nonactors like Lynda Carter, Darryl Hannah and Madonna... There's noting controversial about her assessment of those people.

by Anonymousreply 370August 24, 2021 6:01 AM

David Mamet is a weird schticky playwright. Straight white men find his plays revelatory, but they really stink once you see he has but the one flavor and leaves you, the audience to do all the work! He's also an insane Trumper with a completely addled brain. I'd say he's already well on the road to being forgotten, which Madge will never be.

Madonna was robotic and barely passable in "Speed-the-Plow", but the play is so sterile and she was so famous, it actually worked fine. She looked absolutely gorgeous in it too. Her character's name was "Karen" as I recall, lol. Joe Mantegna and Ron Silver thought they were doing a VERY IMPORTANT PLAY, and since both were good actors, so they made a lot more of it than they were given on the page to play.

I've posted this before, but around this time, late 80s-early 80s, I used to wait on Debra and her small son Noah Hutton all the time. She was a grim sourpuss who sucked the air out of any interaction and I could see she was trying hard to not be even more unpleasant during the simple interaction. I saw her quite a few times and she always seemed mildly hostile. An unpleasant person, but at least it seemed innate and not put on.

by Anonymousreply 371August 24, 2021 6:54 AM

R370 Quit excusing her abhorrent behavior. She literally didn’t get along with anyone. She is a huge, EGOMANIAC herself.

I can see you going around life, everyone hating you, you being a huge cunt, but thinking, “I just don’t suffer fools” justifying your existence. Her attacking the nice Lynda, Darrell and yes, Madonna (on films and videos she’s always been known to be very pleasant and professional) shows what an absolute egotistical cunt she is. There is no defending her. None of those people deserved her bashing them. She brings up ALOTO 30 years later and decides, on Madonna’s birthday, to let it be known SHE, Deboreah Wing-ier (not a typo) just couldn’t star with a mere musical star.

She sounds like the worst person to be around. Insufferable. No wonder she had slapped around in Urban Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 372August 24, 2021 10:56 AM

Lyle Waggoner didn't think Lynda was so nice...

by Anonymousreply 373August 24, 2021 11:34 AM

[Quote] and yes, Madonna (on films and videos she’s always been known to be very pleasant and professional)

You must be smoking some shit.

by Anonymousreply 374August 24, 2021 11:34 AM

R373, details…

by Anonymousreply 375August 24, 2021 12:33 PM

[quote]She was a grim sourpuss who sucked the air out of any interaction and I could see she was trying hard to not be even more unpleasant during the simple interaction. I saw her quite a few times and she always seemed mildly hostile.

This is exactly how she comes across in every interview.

by Anonymousreply 376August 24, 2021 2:07 PM

Nick Nolte, Jack Nicholson, Anthony Hopkins, Tom Berenger, John Travolta and Bertolucci enjoyed working with Debra and said nice things about her in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 377August 24, 2021 3:58 PM

R377 that’s why I’m thinking she mainly has a problem with female co stars and Gere of course. Debra has said people have mistaken her insecurity for hostility. All the actors r377 cited probably just ignored her bullshit and got the filming done. The rest like MacLaine, Gere, maybe Redford got in her face and wouldn’t take any of her gunk. Nolte is nuts too. Interesting Winger and him got along when he detested Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 378August 24, 2021 4:09 PM

[Quote] female co stars

[Quote] Gere

Same difference.

by Anonymousreply 379August 24, 2021 5:54 PM

Mamet has just done a hard right turn like most old men do when their brains start short circuiting. Like many American Jews, most of his politics lie in whoever is shilling Israel the strongest. He used to be brilliant, though.

by Anonymousreply 380August 24, 2021 5:58 PM

"Nick Nolte, Jack Nicholson, Anthony Hopkins, Tom Berenger, John Travolta and Bertolucci enjoyed working with Debra and said nice things about her in interviews."

That's probably because she sucked all their dicks. No kidding, in a Vanity Fair article it actually said that she made a point to "sleep with" every man she worked with. Supposedly that's why she loathed Richard Gere. He wasn't interested in fucking her. sl

by Anonymousreply 381August 24, 2021 9:15 PM

I thought Madonna's casting in Speed the Plow actually worked for the play. The character is a subject of fascination to the two men who spend a lot of time discussing her. Having a huge star like Madonna off stage gave it another layer as to why the character was so interesting to them.

I can't picture how the production with Elisabeth Moss in the role would have played out. Who'd be fascinated with her? (not Jeremy Piven who quit unsurprisingly.)

by Anonymousreply 382August 24, 2021 9:51 PM

Julia Roberts said Nick Nolte was disgusting. And he said everyone knows she's not a very nice person. Take that for what its worth from two crazy assholes.

by Anonymousreply 383August 25, 2021 4:56 AM

Most celebrities are not nice. For one, they’re mostly type A. They are very driven. Most are great at faking being nice. I always say, the nicer they appear the nastier they are behind the scenes with few exceptions. On the other hand, most who seem rude end up being the ones who do charity without announcing it to the world. Debra, though, is a true cunt.

by Anonymousreply 384August 25, 2021 10:37 AM

Debra is an in-your-face cunt, not a scheming vindictive one like Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 385August 25, 2021 12:32 PM

[quote] Debra Winger

Fetid shit eating retard COVID infested diseased sociopathic shit encrusted loathsome Nazi pedo freeper MAGA cunt fuck

Debra Winger is scum

by Anonymousreply 386August 25, 2021 1:02 PM

Seriously? HOW does this thread have 386 replies?

by Anonymousreply 387August 25, 2021 1:05 PM

Debra is a true DL icon, r386.

by Anonymousreply 388August 25, 2021 1:37 PM

R386 is Madonna…

by Anonymousreply 389August 25, 2021 4:07 PM

Winger and Madonna always guarantee a near 600 thread.

by Anonymousreply 390August 25, 2021 6:19 PM

R389 Like Madonna would give 1/270000000 of fuck about Debra fucking Winger.

by Anonymousreply 391August 25, 2021 9:36 PM

This lady has the sense of humor of a rock.

by Anonymousreply 392August 25, 2021 9:39 PM

Shirley should have sued Debra for assault. Farting in someone's face IS assault.

The trauma must have been devastating for Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 393August 25, 2021 11:55 PM

She gave enough of a fuck when Winger was cast by Bernardo Bertolucci as Kit Moresby in The Sheltering Sky. Madonna always coveted that part and got so consumed with jealousy that when she gave an interview for Rolling Stone magazine she decided to criticize Debra's fine performance in the movie . Imagine an actress of Winger's level being criticized by the woman who won the Golden Raspberry award for the worst actress of the CENTURY. That's where the bad blood between them started. Winger wasn't wrong to react like she did. Who crossed the line was Madonna, who committed the worst sin an "actress" can commit: deride another actress' performance in an interview. And here we are; in DL with people accusing Debra of being an anti-professional cunt! If she's that, then Madonna is worse- and a bad actress too, something La Winger will never be...

by Anonymousreply 394August 26, 2021 12:34 AM

R394 No one cares to read that long unhinged screed.

by Anonymousreply 395August 26, 2021 12:41 AM

Just like no one cares to watch any movie starring the Cunt of Pop, Oldonna r395.

by Anonymousreply 396August 26, 2021 12:44 AM

R396 Oh the wit of a 3rd grader. Scorcher.

by Anonymousreply 397August 26, 2021 12:46 AM

Well, r394 makes a point.

It was a bit rich of Madonna to criticize the Academy-award nominated Winger's performance when she already had a mantle of Razzies.

Fine, Madonna loved the book of Sheltering Sky and didn't like the film adaptation, but there is nothing wrong with Winger's performance. It always makes me laugh that Madonna who always cries misogyny, has a history of putting down other women. I say this as a fan but she is a complete hypocrite.

And as if Madonna could have pulled off playing Kit. The only thing she would have handled was the full-frontal scene (which Winger did).

by Anonymousreply 398August 26, 2021 1:40 AM

R398 It sure likes to talk to itself. Trolldar it.

by Anonymousreply 399August 26, 2021 1:52 AM

Somehow I think Winger would have found a reason to have a snit fit about Madonna anyway. She was already getting more attention by virtue of signing on to the movie and that was never going to sit well. Winger’s career was already well on the decline by that point.

by Anonymousreply 400August 26, 2021 2:12 AM

[quote]Carrie Fisher: She was a lesbian and insane. Kit was based on the writer Jane Bowles.

[quote]Madonna: So they say. Anyways, I loved the book, but after I saw the movie, I didn't want to be Kit Moresby anymore, because it was so disappointing. I didn't want people to think that I was Debra Winger.

That's all Madonna ever said about Debra in Rolling Stone. No big deal.

by Anonymousreply 401August 26, 2021 2:12 AM

R401 That was a great interview. Madonna had said she loved Debra in Urban Cowboy. Madonna was a huge Travolta fan and would mention his movies, including UC, a lot.

by Anonymousreply 402August 26, 2021 2:53 AM

Frank Rich on Madonna:

Although her role is the smallest, Madonna is the axis on which "Speed-the-Plow" turns - an enigma within an enigma, in the manner of the Lindsay Crouse heroine in 'House of Games.' It's a relief to report that this rock star's performance is safely removed from her own Hollywood persona. Madonna serves Mr. Mamet's play much as she did the Susan Seidelman film 'Desperately Seeking Susan,' with intelligent, scrupulously disciplined comic acting. She delivers the shocking transitions essential to the action and needs only more confidence to relax a bit and fully command her speaking voice.

by Anonymousreply 403August 26, 2021 3:15 AM

R403 Then you see her in Dangerous Game and realize she could act given the right circumstances. She was phenomenal in that movie. She’s so awful in Shanghai Surprise and Body of Evidence. When she missed, she missed. When she hit, she hit.

by Anonymousreply 404August 26, 2021 3:28 AM

Pauline Kael hailed Debra Winger as “a major reason to go on seeing movies in the eighties." Madonna is considered the worst actress alive. Debra has Academy Award nominations. Madonna has Razzies. There's nothing much to add, except that Deb is a talented crazy cunt who's still hired as an actress at 66 years of age while Madonna is a has been who is seen by most of humanity as and who will never be hired to act again (unless she produces a movie herself).

by Anonymousreply 405August 26, 2021 3:33 AM

R405 Trolldar this poster. Illuminating.

by Anonymousreply 406August 26, 2021 3:46 AM

Trolldar r406. You 'll see Madonna's wrinkles and desperate tears.

by Anonymousreply 407August 26, 2021 3:56 AM

R407 At least try to elevate your feeble attempts at put downs.

by Anonymousreply 408August 26, 2021 3:57 AM

Both of them are cunts. One has critical acclaim and the other one is rich AF.

by Anonymousreply 409August 26, 2021 2:08 PM

R400 she received one more Oscar mom after SS. That’s not a career in decline. That came after Shadowlands. Either she quit voluntarily or no studio wanted to hire her and her drama. May be a bit of both.

by Anonymousreply 410August 26, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote]Who crossed the line was Madonna, who committed the worst sin an "actress" can commit: deride another actress' performance in an interview.

Madonna isn’t an actress. And someone like Debra Winger’s performances aren’t above criticism.

by Anonymousreply 411August 26, 2021 4:39 PM

Madonna's comment was an attack on Winger, though. It went beyond a comment on the performance.

by Anonymousreply 412August 26, 2021 4:42 PM

It was Madonna sounding bitter. That was something that a nonentity like JLo would have said.

by Anonymousreply 413August 26, 2021 6:09 PM

Debra Winger is a nonentity who hasn’t had any career relevance in decades. The only reason people even remember her is when she cunts out in an interview.

by Anonymousreply 414August 26, 2021 7:56 PM

[quote] she received one more Oscar mom after SS.

What is SS r410

by Anonymousreply 415August 27, 2021 4:03 AM

R415 If you have to ask, Debra’s career really was over at that point.

by Anonymousreply 416August 27, 2021 4:05 AM

Sheltering Sky

by Anonymousreply 417August 27, 2021 4:06 AM

Oh I thought SS was referring to another nominated film of hers.

by Anonymousreply 418August 27, 2021 4:08 AM

SS= Stupid Slut? Oh you answered. Sheltering Sky. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 419August 27, 2021 4:09 AM

We really need our Faye, Babs Streisand, Jane Fonda, Deb Winger, Julia Roberts and like a Jennifer Lawrence all on a set together before one of them dies. The behind the scenes might documentary would maybe be better than any film they can make together.

by Anonymousreply 420August 27, 2021 4:11 AM

Let's throw a Sharon Stone int here just for fun too.

by Anonymousreply 421August 27, 2021 4:22 AM

Did Debra ever attend a Prince Azim party?

by Anonymousreply 422August 27, 2021 5:41 AM

BTW Debra didn't get along with John Malkovitch on Sheltering Sky either. (don't think that has been mentioned.)

by Anonymousreply 423August 27, 2021 5:43 AM

But she did get along with Bertolucci.

by Anonymousreply 424August 27, 2021 5:47 AM

She loved everyone involved with Urban Cowboy and fell into a deep depression when it was over and they were all gone.

She should have been nominated for that. It really is a star making performance. (and some obscure people in small films got in ahead of her. Diana Scarwid, Inside Moves; Eva LeGalline, Resurrection.) Although without that Oscar nod Scarwid probably would have never got Mommie Dearest so we should be thankful for that.

by Anonymousreply 425August 27, 2021 5:51 AM

Any 80's actress is an non-entity nowadays, with the exception of Meryl and Glenn, r414. That's the rule of the game. And most of the male actors from that era are forgotten too...

by Anonymousreply 426August 27, 2021 2:35 PM

Good for her. Stunt casting does nothing but erode the quality of a project.

by Anonymousreply 427August 27, 2021 2:59 PM

[quote]Janet got a role on Fame but Madonna couldn't snag one.

Because Janet was the little sister of Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five (i.e., nepotism), whereas Madonna was a nobody when she auditioned in '81.

by Anonymousreply 428August 28, 2021 5:54 AM

Debra outcunted Madonna. Do you think she could out cunt Julia Roberts?

by Anonymousreply 429August 28, 2021 6:18 AM

Madonna was a cunt INO. There is no way she out cunted a true cunt like Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 430August 28, 2021 6:22 AM

[quote]A League Of Their Own is Madonna's only memorable acting role because it was a hit movie--and that had zero to do with her.

R100 That's not true. Madonna's popularity had something to do with the film's success. My friends and I (who were huge fans) went to see it just for her even though we didn't like sports. Madonna was a global sensation at the time, coming off her most successful album THE IMMACULATE COLLECTION and the Blonde Ambition Tour. TRUTH OR DARE was also a box office hit, lauded by critics. At one point, it was the highest-grossing documentary until BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE overtook it a decade later.

Anyway, though she only had a supporting role, Madonna was third-billed in the film and on movie posters worldwide only hers, Tom Hanks', and Geena Davis' names were displayed. Here's a French one below. Obviously, Madonna was cast for her star power in hopes that she would draw in her fanbase. Also, the film spawned a #1 single "This Used to Be My Playground." Madonna ended the summer of '92 with a lot of goodwill. Then in October she simultaneously released EROTICA and the SEX book and by year's end the film BODY OF EVIDENCE, all of which really tarnished her image for a bit; she was on the verge of becoming persona non grata in the U.S. Thankfully, she bounced back two years later with BEDTIME STORIES.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431August 28, 2021 6:26 AM

R432 That’s true

by Anonymousreply 432August 28, 2021 6:31 AM

R383 I'm intrigued. What the fuck does that mean? Everyone knows she not a very nice person? Is that just shade? I mean we all know she's difficult but what the fuck?

by Anonymousreply 433August 28, 2021 6:32 AM

That guy who plays Larry David's friend on Curb Your Enthusiasm had a run in with Roberts on a film which he talked about a lot.

somebody may want to google

by Anonymousreply 434August 28, 2021 6:34 AM

What happened to being America's Sweetheart?

by Anonymousreply 435August 28, 2021 6:38 AM

Wasn't Shirley one of Julia Roberts' biggest defenders on Steel Magnolias. Wasn't that where she went to cry every night?

by Anonymousreply 436August 28, 2021 7:04 AM

I think Shirley and Sally both tried to help Julia through the film. Shirley with anger and Sally with trying to use Actor's Studio techniques and telling her to use the pain she is feeling from the director for the pain Shelby is feeling about her life.

by Anonymousreply 437August 28, 2021 7:07 AM

I know I read she would go crying to Shirley every night.

by Anonymousreply 438August 28, 2021 7:11 AM

How did Deb handle James Brooks?

by Anonymousreply 439August 28, 2021 7:12 AM

I think the coldness between McClaine and Deb helped both performances. AS both performances felt to me like they wanted more from the other. It really worked.

by Anonymousreply 440August 28, 2021 7:17 AM

Winger was in constant warfare with Brooks. (big surprise)

ONe of Shirley's books theorized that she could only work that way. If she was playing a beleaguered character like Emma she had to believe everyone was out to get her..

by Anonymousreply 441August 28, 2021 7:54 AM

Winger sounds fucking exhausting. Most people on set probably couldn’t stand her after one day.

by Anonymousreply 442August 28, 2021 2:04 PM

She participated in a benefit reading with M, Viggo and Julianne Moore (seriously) back in 2010.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443August 28, 2021 2:40 PM

She looks great there. Deb would have been better cast in Postcards than Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 444August 28, 2021 2:43 PM

[quote]Deb would have been better cast in Postcards than Meryl.

Again, directors don’t want to work with a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 445August 28, 2021 4:03 PM

Take a look at Mandy Patinkin's imdb...

by Anonymousreply 446August 28, 2021 4:07 PM

R152 were you even alive at the time? A League of Their Own was not a minor hit. It was the 7th highest grossing film domestically and was among the Top 10 grossers worldwide.

Also, Geena Davis was a huge star in her own right. She had recently won an Oscar in 1989 and was nominated for another in 1992. ALOTO was her follow-up to the big success of Thelma & Louise. In the early '90s, Davis was a bona fide movie star.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447August 28, 2021 4:26 PM

Also, A League of Their Own became only the second movie directed by a woman to cross the $100 million mark at the box office, which was a huge deal at the time. The first was Big, also directed by Penny Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 448August 28, 2021 4:32 PM

Debra had no problems working with Donna Summer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 449August 28, 2021 7:02 PM

It is bad when you have to search for people she got along with.

by Anonymousreply 450August 28, 2021 7:41 PM

What did Debra have to say about DL Fave Theresa Russell?

by Anonymousreply 451August 28, 2021 7:47 PM

Actually I think Debra and Theresa got along. In an interview from a few years back, Theresa said Debra was supportive of Theresa's acting choices and the way she was approaching her character.

Which is interesting because it seems Debra has a problem with other women, and Theresa had a showier role in BW. But I have never heard of friction between them.

by Anonymousreply 452August 28, 2021 7:57 PM

[Quote] Winger has always spoken her mind. Even an Oscar nomination for the 1982 film, An Officer and a Gentleman, did not stop her calling co-star Richard Gere "a brick wall" and its director, Taylor Hackford, "an animal." In 1993, she walked off the set of A League of Their Own, a film about an all-woman baseball team, furious that director Penny Marshall had hired Madonna. In 1990, John Malkovich, her co-star in The Sheltering Sky, was derided by her as nothing more than a "catwalk model".

[Quote] Once filming was over, she lived for a time with Tuareg tribesmen, deep in the Sahara desert, because, she said, she needed to "recover from the experience". Winger, who won her second Oscar nomination on the 1983 film, Terms of Endearment, moved co-star Shirley MacLaine - not always known for her tact - to declare: "She marches to the beat of a different drummer than the rest of us."

[Quote] Winger is unmoved at the memories of such blunt verdicts. "The only remarks that ever made print were those that ruffled a few feathers," she says, not looking in the least concerned. "I run in to Richard Gere quite a lot and he half jokes: 'Are you still saying terrible things about me?' We had a moment in our life which was not good, but everyone has to get it into perspective.

[Quote] "I had this reputation for being 'difficult'. But would a man have suffered the same accusation? He would probably have been admired for speaking his mind and be called a 'perfectionist'. There have been several men who have been able to appreciate the difference. Richard Attenborough, who directed me in Shadowlands, springs to mind. He is not a sexist and treated myself and Tony Hopkins as equals.

[Quote] "As for Tony, he's a friend. He has become even more American than I am now and lives permanently in Los Angeles. He loves the place. I am sure you guys make fun of him all the time. He's nuts, but he's great. You need more people like that. He does not mind what he says, knows his way around a film set and has such charm and talent that people always like working with him."

[Quote] It seems almost ungallant to say this now, since Winger is being so very open, but I recall meeting her 10 years ago on a summer's afternoon in Oxford, on the set of Shadowlands, when she insisted on doing her interview standing up and in the open air. This meant, I was told, that she could walk away at any time should she be offended by any of the questions. It did not make for the easiest of conversations.

[Quote] "This is what the business can turn you into," she says."It can make us all so neurotic about what is written about us and what is being said. You live by your image and what others think of you. I never considered myself falling into that trap very often, but obviously I did.

[Quote] "An actress in a film starts every day with an hour and a half in front of a mirror, with hair and make-up and costumes. That is unnatural - too much unnatural attention. I was never too confident about my beauty, to tell the truth, and that puts you on edge. As a result, I would not do many interviews and would always seem to regret them when I read the result. It made me very cautious."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453August 28, 2021 7:59 PM

She does seem exhausting. She tries to justify her being a cunt. She makes some good points, but she is a huge snob.

by Anonymousreply 454August 28, 2021 8:05 PM

What the fuck is that on his head? A yarmulke?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455August 28, 2021 8:06 PM

Deb said in a Movieline interview that Theresa Russell was one of her favorite actresses r451

by Anonymousreply 456August 28, 2021 11:59 PM

[quote]"I run in to Richard Gere quite a lot and he half jokes: 'Are you still saying terrible things about me?' We had a moment in our life which was not good, but everyone has to get it into perspective.

Honey, everyone has gotten it into perspective. Everyone understands that you’re an enormous cunt.

by Anonymousreply 457August 29, 2021 12:12 AM

Never heard of Gere giving issues with his co stars. He's very good friends with Julia Roberts.

by Anonymousreply 458August 29, 2021 3:04 AM

Gere has admitted to being kind of a jerk on An Officer and a Gentleman.

There's a youtube video I watched where he talks about annoying and acting like such a jerk that Lou Gossett got in his car and left. (he doesn't bring up Debra though.)

by Anonymousreply 459August 29, 2021 6:52 AM

Gere is a phony.

[Quote] In May, Gere and Crawford took out a full-page ad in the London Times, affirming their love, their commitment and their heterosexuality. By December they had announced their official split.

by Anonymousreply 460August 29, 2021 11:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!