Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The new regime in Montega

How is the new regime doing? Since Sierra isn't president any longer, does this mean Tonio Reyes and his big Montegan pinga are in charge?

No wonder Mary Ellen Walters made her way down to Montega. All those hot men down there. DARLING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218August 24, 2021 2:57 AM

Mmmm...he was hot. Yet I completely forgot he existed before this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1August 8, 2021 8:14 PM

He wasn't a very good actor. Hot yes, but not very believable as a villain.

by Anonymousreply 2August 8, 2021 8:23 PM

Mary Beth Evans did NOT look as if she could be the daughter of a Central American revolutionary. Finn Carter sort of did.

by Anonymousreply 3August 8, 2021 8:30 PM

It was a Girls From Brazil situation.

by Anonymousreply 4August 8, 2021 8:32 PM

Haha, R4. That would have been a great backstory for Lucinda.

In flashbacks we’d see a young, financially strapped Mary Ellen Walters finding herself participating in a Lebensborn type project in Montega. James Stenbeck is actually a stud for hire in the program and he’s Sierra’s true bio dad helped along with some of Hitler’s DNA.. Mary Ellen then murders Dr. Bettelheim (special guest star Jack Betts) with special help from Nazi hunter Amos Weiss (special guest star A. Larry Haines), godfather to Martin Walsh.

by Anonymousreply 5August 8, 2021 8:41 PM

We should have had a Montegan Kelly Nelson walking around in just a Speedo.

Nancy Hughes' dusty muffin would have been in a TIZZY!

by Anonymousreply 6August 8, 2021 8:53 PM

I never understood Lucinda’s backstory.

How did she go from living in squalor with Gloria, to Montega and having Sierra, to adopting Lily with Martin Guest, to inheriting Walsh Enterprises and leaving a, Connor and Evan disinherited? Doug Marland should have had a Walsh fight with Lucinda.

by Anonymousreply 7August 8, 2021 8:56 PM

Sorry autocorrect-“a” and “A Walsh” above were supposed to be A.

Also, how did James Stenbeck and their baby fit in? This all seemed to happen in a very short period of time, since Sierra was not that much older than Lily and David Stenbeck was about the same age as Sierra.

by Anonymousreply 8August 8, 2021 9:03 PM

OMG “ A” not “A”

by Anonymousreply 9August 8, 2021 9:05 PM

"You must take Bryant to the farm for Thanksgiving! And he should only know happiness! But I can not go with you! I can not!"

Lucy's reading a book and then she looks up, sees Sierra, imagines it must be a fantasy, goes back to her book.

"Mother."

When soaps were soaps.

by Anonymousreply 10August 8, 2021 9:12 PM

Apparently you can’t the name of Connor Walsh’s mother here. I didn’t know that . Probably because there used to be an advice column here with her name.

by Anonymousreply 11August 8, 2021 9:12 PM

Oh how I’d love to sit down and dish with some leading ladies like Kim Z.

by Anonymousreply 12August 8, 2021 9:27 PM

Is Montega some South American country I never heard of?

by Anonymousreply 13August 8, 2021 9:41 PM

Go to 1:50 to hear Jackee talk about her first encounter with Connie Ford

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 8, 2021 10:11 PM

I was watching a few episodes of The Edge of Night from 1980 on YouTube. I was watching the storyline where Draper Scott (who had amnesia) thought he was Kirk Michaels. In one episode, Kirk and his "new" wife, Emily, went to look at a house in Oakdale. In a few episodes later, Dr. Gault, Emily's father, went to visit a newspaper company that was located in Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 15August 8, 2021 10:42 PM

Looking back, it felt like Doug had a plan the whole time.

Criag doesn't fess up with Sierra about her being Lucinda's daughter OR that he and Lucinda had had an affair (when he thought she was dead?)

ALone, she runs off and enters a marriage of convenience with Tonio; then, Lucinda coerces Tonio to work in Oakdale to force a relationship with Sierra. She realizes she really does love Craig but she's trapped in this marriage; Tonio cheats. Craig and Sierra have one night together; she's pregnant but Craig is told the operation to reverse his sterility didn't work (we learn later that it DID work but getting beat up in prison undid the operation).

Craig accepts little Bryant, still thinking he's Tonio's kid; Sierra tells him that he's his -- Craig and Sierra marry; he's presumed dead while Scott Bryce tries his luck in Hollywood; he comes back a year later on this time Sierra's presumed dead; Craig bounces around to other women and we accept them into his life provided nobody plays Billy Ocean's Suddenly.

Craig prepares to propose to Ellie just as Bryce prepares to leave the show a second time...sooooooo, Sierra comes back alive; she goes back to - wait for it! WAIT FOR IT!! -- back to 'free' Montega so Craig can decide. He chooses Sierra; shows up with Bryant. Cue Suddenly. Happily ever after; well, at least for a few years. This is when Soaps were SOAPS!

Today, we have four unscrupulous characters sit in judgement of sullen Tara on Y&R and we're supposed to be excited over this storyline. Groan.

by Anonymousreply 16August 8, 2021 10:44 PM

R13 It's right beside Andorra.

by Anonymousreply 17August 8, 2021 10:44 PM

[quote] Also, how did James Stenbeck and their baby fit in?

A terrible retcon that made no sense. Who the hell knows exactly when that was supposed to have happened. I think after Sierra was born but before she landed with Martin Guest.

Was Martin Guest ever seen, or was he like Maris on Frasier?

by Anonymousreply 18August 8, 2021 10:46 PM

Martin was maybe seen in flashback. related to his suicide or talking to that lawyer who got him and Lucy Lily.

by Anonymousreply 19August 8, 2021 10:47 PM

Thanks Jackee for confirming what dozens of others have said. Dyke Connie was a nasty, unhappy old cunt.

by Anonymousreply 20August 8, 2021 10:54 PM

Good catch r15. Nice shout out to the P&G shows. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 21August 8, 2021 11:05 PM

On GL, if a character was on the highway, you’d she a sign that said how many miles away were Bay City, Oakdale, and maybe another town. Anyone know the actual miles and towns shown?

by Anonymousreply 22August 8, 2021 11:25 PM

Okay, this is sorta kinda a tangent but it's funny.

Cameron Mathison is on GH now and apparently he's playing a recast Drew, as in, the Jason twin that Billy Miller used to play.

I find this funny because of the troll we had here that insisted Cam should have been cast on ATWT as a reimagined Andy Dixon, now called....Drew.

LMAO

by Anonymousreply 23August 8, 2021 11:54 PM

R17, Andorra is actually a real country whereas Mendorra (on OLTL) was not.

by Anonymousreply 24August 8, 2021 11:55 PM

R24 They were asking about Montega, not Mendorra, but I was joking. I do know Andorra is real, thanks.

by Anonymousreply 25August 8, 2021 11:57 PM

Soap Opera Digest used to refer to Montega in their synopses as a “war torn banana republic.”

by Anonymousreply 26August 9, 2021 12:06 AM

And Mendorra was a “war torn J C Penney.”

Try the veal.

by Anonymousreply 27August 9, 2021 12:07 AM

Oh, I've sampled the bananas in Montega.

I know why the caged bird sings!

by Anonymousreply 28August 9, 2021 12:08 AM

SOD should have did a mock map explaining where all these countries, islands and republics were.

by Anonymousreply 29August 9, 2021 12:10 AM

[quote]SOD should have did

Oh, Dear!

by Anonymousreply 30August 9, 2021 12:11 AM

Was San Cristobal a British protectorate? And if so was the royal family there Windor cast-offs?

by Anonymousreply 31August 9, 2021 12:12 AM

Sorry, WINDSOR.

by Anonymousreply 32August 9, 2021 12:12 AM

Lucinda’s Timeline (I think). 3-5 all happened within a span of 5 years or so. Lucinda was busy before she got to Oakdale:

1.) Mary Ellen Walters escapes her mother.

2.) According to the bio on soap central, Mary Ellen worked briefly for the Chicago mob.

3.) Lucinda ends up in Montega with Jacobo Esteban. She marries him, has Sierra, then flees Montega without Sierra to escape Jacobo.

4.) Mary Ellen changes her name to Lucinda and meets James Stenbeck. She has a stillborn child with him.

5.) Lucinda meets Martin Guest. They marry and adopt Lily.

6.) Martin commits suicide.

7.) Lucinda marries James Walsh, Connor and Evan’s grandfather.

8.) James dies and Lucinda steals control of Walsh Enterprises from Connor and Evan’s father.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33August 9, 2021 12:18 AM

Jesus, that's a whole weekend worth of "women's movies" ...

by Anonymousreply 34August 9, 2021 12:41 AM

Hey lady, you lady ...

I've been to Montega but I've never been to me ...

by Anonymousreply 35August 9, 2021 1:40 AM

so many great ad libs but Lucinda/Hubbard

"Jane...get out! Out!................Damned spot!"

My favorite was Craig coming over to get her to lay off Steve's business by giving jobs to Tad Channing; he asks to speak to her alone. Lucinda asks Jane to leave but tells Tonio to say.

"there isn't ANYTHING that you can't say to me that you can't say in front of my new soninlaw Tonio!"

Takes a beat, stares him right in the eyes.

"Unless of course it's something VERY personal."

by Anonymousreply 36August 9, 2021 3:04 AM

I'm sure Liz adlibbed at least half that dialogue!

by Anonymousreply 37August 9, 2021 4:01 AM

Craig to new Mona Lisa night manager Seth Snyder: "Seth is this Lucinda Walsh, her daughter Sierra and her son in law Tonio Reyes...see to it they get our best table."

Lucinda to Craig: "ANOTHER Synder?"

Craig: "He's working here to try to keep the farm afloat."

Lucinda: "Oh, so it's a floating farm now, is it?"

another time....

Craig to Lucinda after watching her snipe with Iva: "What's the deal with you and Iva Snyder?"

Lucinda: (Looking him up and down.) "I might ask you the same thing."

by Anonymousreply 38August 9, 2021 4:19 AM

My favorite Lucinda line ever was when she was at Lisa's wedding (I can't even remember who the groom was, thinking it was Earl Mitchell)

All is quiet as the music plays and Lisa walks by.

Lucinda: "She's wearing WHITE??!???"

by Anonymousreply 39August 9, 2021 5:25 PM

It was Earl Mitchell, r39, and I think she said it to James Stenbeck. The wedding was at The Mona Lisa.

The Mona Lisa was such a tacky looking set. Especially if you compared it to Tops on Another World.

by Anonymousreply 40August 9, 2021 5:27 PM

Or the Top of the World Club on Texas.

by Anonymousreply 41August 9, 2021 5:37 PM

Thank you R40. I know the clip was on YT at one time.

by Anonymousreply 42August 9, 2021 5:40 PM

How interesting. Never thought to compare these two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43August 9, 2021 10:18 PM

What were the most opulent sets on each of the shows? The ones that looked like they cost some money and/or were permanent sets

And yes, some shows have a few permanent sets such as the GH hospital set.

by Anonymousreply 44August 9, 2021 11:45 PM

The Quartermaine mansion in the 80s into early 90s looked fancy. Now it looks like they live in a McMansion.

by Anonymousreply 45August 9, 2021 11:47 PM

ATWT never really seemed to have an opulent set. They were big on bricks. I remember reading in Digest or Weekly at some point they actually won an award from a brick company.

by Anonymousreply 46August 9, 2021 11:47 PM

When the Cory living room set debuted on AW in 1975, it was certainly the most expensive looking set that show had ever had. The room had wood paneling and antique furniture. This was certainly step up from the other sets the show used at that point.

by Anonymousreply 47August 9, 2021 11:48 PM

The 80s country club and the Spaulding mansion always looked opulent to me.

No matter how many times they changed those sets, the 80s versions will be seared in my brain.

by Anonymousreply 48August 9, 2021 11:50 PM

Another World in the 80s and early 90s always looked more opulent than ATWT. The Cory Mansion, Cory Publishing, Iris’ penthouse, Tops, Donna’s apartment, Vicky’s house all looked expensive. I always thought Vicky’shouse (the one used when Anne Heche played her) was so cool looking. Even the Frame farm looked nicer than the Snyder farm.

by Anonymousreply 49August 9, 2021 11:50 PM

I rarely watched YR unless I was babysitting over the summer, but they did have amazing sets.

by Anonymousreply 50August 9, 2021 11:53 PM

The Cory mansion renovation in the mid-80s was part of the whole "Mitch Blake returns" story (with the transitional Matthew, who was replaced by DL fave Matt Crane), which allowed them to brighten the living room up a little. To be honest, I might've liked it better after - it looked more like an artist lived there.

by Anonymousreply 51August 10, 2021 12:06 AM

Colleen at her finest. Before the dui’s

by Anonymousreply 52August 10, 2021 1:20 AM

Ah, gotta love the tourists.

Towers had a lovely set.

by Anonymousreply 53August 10, 2021 2:03 AM

I watched The Edge of Night in the early 1980s. I think the Whitney mansion and Margo Dorn's penthouse were the most opulent sets on the show. The Whitney mansion had a foyer, a set of stairs to the second floor, and a spacious living room. To the left of the foyer, there was an office that led to a patio. It was such a nice, spacious set. For Sky and Raven's first wedding, the entire episode was taped on that one set, where they made use of all the spaces for the various scenes. Margo Dorn's penthouse was my favorite set. Characters stepped off the elevator and straight into the spacious living room that had floor-to-ceiling windows, a bar, a terrace, a winding staircase that led to the second floor, and a dining area to the right of the terrace. I had wished that I could live in a place like that. Both sets looked like real homes.

by Anonymousreply 54August 10, 2021 8:49 PM

Darling!

by Anonymousreply 55August 10, 2021 9:58 PM

I think this is the least animated I've ever seen Liz!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56August 10, 2021 10:00 PM

Yes, Margo's penthouse set on Edge of Night really was fabulous. Show really went all out on that one and made it one of the main sets. After Margo was killed off, then April and Draper lived there. When they left town, Miles and Nicole moved in. The final episode of the show primarily took place on that set.

The Whitney living room and foyer set also looked fantastic. It was a good sized set and must have taken up a huge amount of space on Edge of Night sound stage. It was an interesting contrast to Mike and Nancy Karr's house which was tiny.

by Anonymousreply 57August 11, 2021 10:36 AM

Ummmm the best, most opulent set was Grant A’s body. End of. Next.

by Anonymousreply 58August 11, 2021 11:41 AM

R56, Liz’s acting was also restrained in an episode of Law & Order which aired a few weeks ago during one of those cable station’s marathons. If she didn’t feel the need to tie herself up doing her hambone thing on ATWT she might have had an interesting career a la Susan Sullivan.

by Anonymousreply 59August 11, 2021 4:07 PM

R58 I love when that set was....erected

by Anonymousreply 60August 11, 2021 5:44 PM

Remember when Doug Marland and Calhoun were fucking and Miss Granger walked in? Not pretty.

by Anonymousreply 61August 11, 2021 8:42 PM

Grant's cock should be a designated national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 62August 11, 2021 8:50 PM

I'm surprised Fleshjack has never done a second run of their Grant Aleksander limited edition.

by Anonymousreply 63August 11, 2021 9:15 PM

R63 They sure couldn’t do Grant dildos. The deaths caused from that would surpass COVID-19.

by Anonymousreply 64August 11, 2021 9:55 PM

Grant’s wife Sherri is one fucking lucky woman!

by Anonymousreply 65August 11, 2021 10:11 PM

Where’s the toilet?

by Anonymousreply 66August 11, 2021 11:48 PM

Are we still at only 2 DUI’s for CZP?

by Anonymousreply 67August 12, 2021 12:46 AM

Does Colleen have more ex-husbands or more DUIs?

by Anonymousreply 68August 12, 2021 1:15 AM

CBS Broadcast Center by day, Falcon Studios by night......

by Anonymousreply 69August 12, 2021 1:35 AM

A few weeks back I saw, "I Never Sand For My Father", Elizabeth Hubbard character was quite subdued. I never liked the character of Tonio Reyes.

by Anonymousreply 70August 12, 2021 1:57 AM

Now I wish Liz had gone full Lucinda during her brief appearance in Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 71August 12, 2021 2:05 AM

“Oh, darling, darling, Beth, you were in love with Conrad, you were in love your OWN SON, darling, YOUR OWN SON, but now, listen, darling, now listen, now YOU LISTEN TO ME, DARLING, we’ll get you off to some fabulous therapy with that short Jewish man, and he’ll help you, darling, he’ll HELP YOU, he’ll help you and you’ll be back with us bright as a button, am I clear, darling, AM I CLEAR?”

by Anonymousreply 72August 12, 2021 2:50 AM

Barbara's change from victim to bitch was probably ATWT's best move in ages.

by Anonymousreply 73August 12, 2021 3:13 AM

R72 that almost sounded like India speaking to Beth.

by Anonymousreply 74August 12, 2021 3:14 AM

Good job R72! Sounds just like ole Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 75August 12, 2021 12:09 PM

I left Ole Lucy a surprise in her master bedroom’s bathroom!

by Anonymousreply 76August 12, 2021 1:26 PM

Darling!

by Anonymousreply 77August 12, 2021 1:38 PM

R40, Earl and Lisa got married in a double ceremony with Brian and Shannon at Duncan's Castle; not the Mona Lisa.

Earl and Lisa actually tied the knot but Shannon called it off after seeing that Brian had feelings for Beatrice.

by Anonymousreply 78August 12, 2021 2:18 PM

R72, wait. Mom was in love with Connie?

by Anonymousreply 79August 12, 2021 2:19 PM

R57 a few years ago Sharon Gabet (Raven) sold prints of that portrait of Raven that hung over the fireplace and sent the proceeds to autism research. I bought one but haven't opened it; need to get it framed and hung up.

by Anonymousreply 80August 12, 2021 2:22 PM

Did Viv and Goutman budget for the good toilet paper?

by Anonymousreply 81August 12, 2021 2:36 PM

Oops, R79, DARLING, I can’t believe it, I got the kids mixed up, I GOT THE KIDS MIXED UP, I mean YES, it was BUCK, Beth was in love with BUCK, her eldest son, her first born, her progeny, the love from her loins, HIM, yes, she WAS IN LOVE WITH HIM, she was in love with THAT kid, she was in love with him, she doesn’t give a fuck about Conrad, he made all that stink about the family photo and stalked off, oh yes he did, but Buck was DARLING, that kid was DARLING, he’d never create a scene like that, never never NEVER! But he’s dead now so who knows, darling, who knows, who KNOWS?” (shrugs)

by Anonymousreply 82August 12, 2021 2:52 PM

[quote] Earl and Lisa actually tied the knot but Shannon called it off after seeing that Brian had feelings for Beatrice.

There were a few times during Marland's regime that CBS or P&G made him clean house. The whole Beatrice story was one of them. It was so slowwwww. I know Beatrice was Duncan's sister who he then learned was his daughter (or was it vicey versey?) Anyway, it dragged and then suddenly bing bang boom - Brian and Beatrice get married and off they went.

by Anonymousreply 83August 12, 2021 2:55 PM

I thought I read that Pinter wanting to leave is what wrapped up that storyline so quickly.

by Anonymousreply 84August 12, 2021 3:17 PM

Shannon called off the wedding to Brian on New Year's Eve 1986; and Brian and Beatrice wed and exited Oakdale in March 87; that was fast for back then, but now? we see characters simply disappear off the canvas with no explanation and stories wrap up off screen.

I'm still laughing and shaking my head over Phyllis (run 'em over) Summers taking down Tara for insider money stealing or whatever she did and Jack just supporting her; rather than the Abbotts saying Tara you're Harrison's mother and you're under our protection no matter what you did.

by Anonymousreply 85August 13, 2021 1:54 PM

When Shannon returned from the dead after having her head shrunk, it was the last time I was truly surprised by a character's return.

by Anonymousreply 86August 14, 2021 12:27 AM

R86 yes, that was a surprise for sure.

I could usually guess a Marland story a weeeee tiny bit before the twist.

by Anonymousreply 87August 14, 2021 12:36 AM

R86 Wait, what? Head shrunk? Was he writing for Reva? That sounds awful. Story wise. Cartoonish.

by Anonymousreply 88August 14, 2021 12:39 AM

R88, one of the great camp moments of ATWT was when Duncan picked up the tiny head of Shannon and sobbed "Oh, my wee lass!"

by Anonymousreply 89August 14, 2021 12:42 AM

And then he set it on his banquet table at the castle whilst enjoying his haggis.

by Anonymousreply 90August 14, 2021 12:44 AM

R89 That sounds horrific. I’m being serious.

by Anonymousreply 91August 14, 2021 12:50 AM

Shannon's return was a great surprise. But her story after that was awful. Shannon was supposed to be a fun Holly Golightly, not another mopey Iva Snyder.

by Anonymousreply 92August 14, 2021 12:52 AM

R88 It does sound odd but within context it sort of made sense. Duncan's ex wife Lilith was an archeologist or something, and claimed that she'd shrunken Shannon's head.

Shannon was alive but injured and had amnesia. Duncan got a call at the airport saying his wife was in custody - he thought it was Lilith but was shocked to learn it was Shannon, alive.

She got her memory back but they didn't do much with then as he was married to Jessica. They briefly tried to pair Tom and Shannon and then she was off again.

by Anonymousreply 93August 14, 2021 12:52 AM

Shannon and Tom had been chemistry tested before, when it wasn't clear whether HBS would return, and it went well. Shannon really lightened Tom up.

Returning Shannon was too depressing to help make Scott Holmes' angry Tom tolerable.

by Anonymousreply 94August 14, 2021 12:55 AM

I did love Shannon in her early years. And Harriet her friend was a hilarious blast. They were very Lucy and Ethel. And sometimes Lisa would be involved.

For those that didn't watch, think Felicia, Cass and Wallingford from AW.

by Anonymousreply 95August 14, 2021 1:50 PM

Lisa couldn’t be involved all the time. Eileen held up taping due to her, um, “issue.”

by Anonymousreply 96August 14, 2021 2:37 PM

Plugging up the shitter. lol

by Anonymousreply 97August 14, 2021 5:21 PM

anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 98August 14, 2021 5:45 PM

Duncan was told "Mrs. McKechnie" had been arrested out at the airport, he thought it was his wife Jessica (not Lilith).

The soap mags spoiled it (the show's thought a COVER! YAY!) but if you didn't read Soap Opera Weekly, it was a secret.

I watched it a while back on YouTube; it's freaking Masterpiece Theater compared to Y&R today.

But without Doug, it was a bust. The shrunken head thing was horrific, but Shannon was so entrenched in the canvas we had to believe she was gone for good. I think the shrunken head had even little Shannon hair.

I think Doug's death was the greatest blow to soaps in the 1990s. I would have been okay with him either going to OLTL -- watch Viki on the witness stand playing different alters or to AW and bring back the Matthews clan.

ATWT late 1985 through 90-91 and even into 92 is the best.

by Anonymousreply 99August 14, 2021 5:45 PM

DAMN IT MIMI TORCHIN!!!!

by Anonymousreply 100August 14, 2021 6:31 PM

He wasn't letter perfect at ATWT. There was a really dull period from early 89 until sometime in 1990. He lost quite a few lead actresses and the stories he had (Shannon and the Harrington brothers!) just didn't really gel.

But he got his mojo back once Ellen Dolan settled in as Margo, for sure. I know not everyone is a fan but she did fill a huge gap on the show nicely. Margo pulling Casey's plug was a great umbrella story that jumpstarted the whole show, and things started to really improve after that.

Doug knew getting Martha back was a good thing. Apparently that story, and Emily and Royce, were among the last of his to make it to air.

by Anonymousreply 101August 14, 2021 6:36 PM

I think approving Paolo Seganti as Damien Grimaldi could have been his final casting decision, no?

by Anonymousreply 102August 14, 2021 7:51 PM

R102 Among them, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 103August 14, 2021 8:03 PM

I hope she never reads this but Kelley Menighan (Hensley) was a miscast; she was so freaking external and Melanie almost played down her sexiness.

Kelley's Emily yelled a lot.

She said once Douglas Marland called her his 'muse.' I'm thinking wasn't that your husband?

by Anonymousreply 104August 14, 2021 8:22 PM

R101, I agree; he lost a LOT Of people and that didn't help the stories

I think Gregg and Hillary were the best Tom and Margo; even tho Ellen grew in the role she was always Maureen to me.

Losing Gregg, Hillary, Scott Bryce, Melanie, Martha (tho I liked Rattray and she played Lily well given what she went through with Derek), Julianne (tho I liked Mary Ellen). Even tho the story of his death was powerful and felt like someone really had died (those actors were so freaking great) Casey was a loss. Casey and Lyla were such a great couple.

by Anonymousreply 105August 14, 2021 8:25 PM

Marland had a sweeping story planned for Lisa that would cement her as the center of the show. Eileen had an emergency in Doug’s office. As they say, the story went to the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 106August 14, 2021 8:36 PM

Doug could have gone back to GL in the mid to late 90s since it was having a lot of HW changes.

I realize they needed Shannon “dead” but a shrunken head? It was ridiculous looking.

Which characters were killed off more than once but came back? Reva, Beth on GL. Obviously the most ridiculous was James Steinbeck. I mean, come ON.

by Anonymousreply 107August 14, 2021 9:23 PM

From what I’ve seen, the Duncan storylines were all pretty stupid.

He was hot, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108August 14, 2021 9:26 PM

R108 He's definitely a hot fuck.

However, he knows it.

And sadly, he's also a deplorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109August 14, 2021 9:38 PM

I loved the character of Shannon when she came on. She was a lot of fun, and her original interactions with John Dixon were a hoot. When they teamed her up with Harriet, they became the Lucy-and-Ethel of the show. It was an inspired move to make Barbara her nemesis. Who doesn't remember the moment Shannon dumped Babs head in a toilet?

As stated before, her return to the show was one of the last great surprises I had , before the internet gave all surprises away. It was a great moment, but unfortunately they squandered the story afterwards. Margaret Reed and Michael Swan had wonderful FUN chemistry, but they kept him with Jessica, who seemed more like his sister.

Margaret was in a Seinfeld episode as a pissed-off ex girlfriend of Jerry's. Melanie Smith (Emily) was also one of Jerry's girls.

by Anonymousreply 110August 14, 2021 11:56 PM

R109 that makes him even hotter to me.

Call me if you’re reading this, Michael!!!!

by Anonymousreply 111August 14, 2021 11:59 PM

Michael and Maggie's chemistry was due, in part, to the fact that they were fucking off screen on and off for a number of years. Get the good D, Maggie!

Something was in the water at ATWT in those years. So many actors involved with others on the show, many with their own screen partners. Renee Props (Ellie) dated her on screen brother Jon Hensley at some point prior to his marriage to Kelley.

by Anonymousreply 112August 15, 2021 12:05 AM

r112

I did not know about Renee and Jon... I wonder if that was part of the reason Ellie never really returned

by Anonymousreply 113August 15, 2021 12:30 AM

The Snyders were the best soap family. They were introduced one at a time, not cannibalizing the show. And their characters were all connected to established families (the Walshes, the Hughes).

by Anonymousreply 114August 15, 2021 12:35 AM

When I watched Downton - and Lady Mary got her short hairdo, she suddently reminded me so much of Ellie Snyder.

by Anonymousreply 115August 15, 2021 1:49 AM

don't quote me R114 but I think it was Jerry verDorn who once said that by the time Iva got invited to a party in Oakdale, fans were like, yeah, she deserves a night out; she wasn't shoved down viewers throats but rather slowly introduced.

by Anonymousreply 116August 15, 2021 4:05 AM

I've started watching Another World from 1980. Pat is a drunk, Rachel is pregnant by Mitch Blake and lying to Mac, Miranda Bishop is the new Iris and Leslie Brooks from Young & Restless is stinking up the show with her singing. The bitch won't shut up. Poor Russ had awful taste in women.

Jamie Frame is too skinny, but Mitch Blake and Larry Ewing just ooze sex appeal.

by Anonymousreply 117August 15, 2021 4:12 AM

Was it still Bekins as Jamie or did we get Daisy Dukes Jamie by 1980?

by Anonymousreply 118August 15, 2021 4:29 AM

Ewww, Larry Ewing always looked creepy to me. Just as creepy as Blaine’s tormentor Buzz.

by Anonymousreply 119August 15, 2021 5:02 AM

It was Bekins R118. Buzz was creepy R119, but there was something sexy about Larry. Too bad he was shackled to Clarice.

by Anonymousreply 120August 15, 2021 5:36 AM

I forgot to mention that Jamie is dating Sally Frame. Even though they aren't related, it seems strange to me. However, Jamie is starting to sniff around Cecile. Oh and Joey Perrini is so hot.

by Anonymousreply 121August 15, 2021 5:39 AM

My grandma stopped watching ATWT because of the Snyders. She especially hated Duncan McKkkkenie.

by Anonymousreply 122August 15, 2021 6:05 AM

I still remember my reaction to the first time I ever clicked on ATWT.

"Why is Nola blond?"

by Anonymousreply 123August 15, 2021 2:10 PM

The Snyders stunk up the show.

by Anonymousreply 124August 15, 2021 2:20 PM

Doug Marland trained under Harding Lemay. The Snyders were ATWT's Frames. While they, eventually, did eat the show, there is nothing wrong with having a poor family in the mix. That was Marland's thing. The Dancys, The Spencers, The Reardons, (was it the Rescott's on loving) and The Snyders. They all have a thing. Bill Bell's thing was two brothers in love with the same woman and almost incest. Name a headwriter and you can probably name "their thing".

by Anonymousreply 125August 15, 2021 2:29 PM

Agnes was also about the haves and have nots.

Most soaps lost that with the glam 80s and it wasn't a good change for any of them.

by Anonymousreply 126August 15, 2021 2:33 PM

What was Pam Long’s “thing”?

by Anonymousreply 127August 15, 2021 3:12 PM

When will someone finally ban that terrorist Vee from SON? He’s pushing two newbies out of that board this week with his regular antics. Vee is in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 128August 15, 2021 4:14 PM

R127 Heart. Hokey but lovelyheart, served up hot with grits on the side!

by Anonymousreply 129August 15, 2021 4:20 PM

I would say that Long's "thing" was schmaltz.

by Anonymousreply 130August 15, 2021 4:26 PM

Irna's thing was the good will eventually be rewarded and the bad punished. Villains did not get redeemed and good people do not turn bad.

by Anonymousreply 131August 15, 2021 5:59 PM

R127 great stories without the endless recap that even Bell and Marland fell prey to.

I suppose she told 'daddy issue' stories: Beth/Bradley; Phillip/Alan; Sonni and Solita/Their Dad

by Anonymousreply 132August 15, 2021 7:01 PM

Vee, who’s in the biz, banned Pam Long talk aged ago! Keep up!

by Anonymousreply 133August 15, 2021 7:18 PM

Is Vee the same person who posed as an Abercrombie and Fitch model on SON for years until he was found out?

by Anonymousreply 134August 15, 2021 7:30 PM

I have daddy issues. Only Phillip's pendulousness can solve them.

Well, Phillip with a side of Josh's hairy daddy balls.

by Anonymousreply 135August 15, 2021 8:50 PM

Pam did relationships exceptionally well. She would delve very deep into them.

by Anonymousreply 136August 15, 2021 9:28 PM

Wear a mask, you fat whores!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 15, 2021 11:58 PM

R134 Vee tries to sound important, but he’s not.

by Anonymousreply 138August 16, 2021 12:58 AM

Auch wie immer.....

by Anonymousreply 139August 16, 2021 1:08 AM

Vee, who is in the biz, will only stop terrorizing every breathing person when Errol grows a pair and bans him for good.

by Anonymousreply 140August 16, 2021 1:24 AM

[quote] Vee, who is in the biz, will only stop terrorizing every breathing person when Errol grows a pair and bans him for good.

Pot?

Kettle is calling on line one, two, three, four, five.......

Irony is dead, children.

by Anonymousreply 141August 16, 2021 3:51 AM

The SON troll will get soap threads banned at DL again.

by Anonymousreply 142August 16, 2021 3:53 AM

R142 It needs to be banned. I don’t understand why it hasn’t been. Did anybody trolldar it to see what else it posts?

by Anonymousreply 143August 16, 2021 3:55 AM

Unless everyone simply blocks and ignores her, as most of us do.

R143 It has several sockpuppets - but it's almost always the same two or three insane things it says, thinking it's hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 144August 16, 2021 3:57 AM

R143 Yeah. It seems to have at least two accounts, maybe more, and can talk to itself.

by Anonymousreply 145August 16, 2021 3:58 AM

Vee, whos in the biz, blocks everything! He’s in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 146August 16, 2021 4:08 AM

James E. Reilly's "thing" seemed to be "ain't no fury like a woman scorned," married to Roman Catholicism pre-Vatican II.

by Anonymousreply 147August 16, 2021 4:15 AM

SON is the center of the Internet! Vee runs everything everywhere and knows everything about everything. He’s in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 148August 16, 2021 4:23 AM

Fulton, plugged up the shitter at the studio.

by Anonymousreply 149August 16, 2021 4:28 AM

R147 James E. Reilly is also very big on couples being meant for each other and once it has been declared that a couple is meant for each other, it cannot be undone.

by Anonymousreply 150August 16, 2021 4:29 AM

R144 maybe that is the problem. So many people have her blocked that nobody is F/Fing her, so no ban.

by Anonymousreply 151August 16, 2021 4:30 AM

Claire Labine's thing was "quirky". Even though I've never seen a single episode from all the descriptions, Where the Heart Is seems to be Claire Labine unfiltered. Lots of quirk.

by Anonymousreply 152August 16, 2021 4:33 AM

Have I told you my secret for looking young for all of these years?

by Anonymousreply 153August 16, 2021 4:40 AM

I think the definitive Claire Labine experience would come from RYAN'S HOPE, R152. She recreated it, plus did realistic and brilliant (but downer) medical stories, when she wrote GENERAL HOSPITAL.

by Anonymousreply 154August 16, 2021 4:59 AM

R154 Ryan’s Hope? General Hospital?

I’m not familiar.

by Anonymousreply 155August 16, 2021 5:10 AM

I rode Claire Labine’s coat tails.

by Anonymousreply 156August 16, 2021 5:31 AM

OP, thanks for the Tonio pic. I didn't appreciate him back in the day (I was besotted with Holden and Dusty), but have changed my thinking since I'm older.

EH had a great career, playing two completely different characters on two different soaps over a 40 year period (she did take some hiatuses/time off). I enjoyed that Brim commercial....I don't recall it (and I usually remember most since I was glued to the tube every day and those ads played daily). I loved her as Lucinda, but am really appreciating her nuances in portraying Althea (right now we're in 1969,,,,Liz looks fabulous....probably the best looking woman in daytime during that era as well as best actress).

by Anonymousreply 157August 16, 2021 6:33 AM

Claire Labine was closest to all the American writers to the British Eastenders/Coronation Street kitchen sink drama. She wrote for character more than for plot.

It worked beautifully on RH, because she had Paul Avila Meyer there to balance her and to provide plot. and on GH, where she could pair with other writers and Wendy Riche.

She was a bomb at GL, because GL immediately went from all plot to all character, which happened again years later when the new production model happened at the same time as the writers' strike. In both cases, the storyline came to a screeching halt and nothing happened for a long stretch. Never a good idea for a *continuing* story.

Mixed reviews for her work at OLTL. She had some good characters/ideas but I think she took some things too far.

by Anonymousreply 158August 16, 2021 1:50 PM

R157 I was surprised how timely so much of the Rita Lakin stories from the DOCTORS still play today. And yes, she's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 159August 16, 2021 1:52 PM

In the "would you like to feel old" department.....

Peter Boynton is 65 years old. Here's how he looks today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160August 16, 2021 1:53 PM

I did not remember that Tonio was killed off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161August 16, 2021 2:06 PM

Montega is for lovers, darling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162August 16, 2021 2:11 PM

Does Boyton still have that ugly mole on his face????? Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 163August 16, 2021 3:23 PM

Peter Boynton played sleazy and fuckable very well.

But he was perhaps the least believable Latin man ever cast in such a role. And his terrible unspecified Latin accent was in competition with Michael Swan's "wee lass" Scottish accent for worst accent in daytime for many of those years.

by Anonymousreply 164August 16, 2021 4:22 PM

Liz Hubbard was a cunt to me.

by Anonymousreply 165August 16, 2021 4:46 PM

Was just reading about Lindsay Frost and her husband, Rick Giolito (?), who briefly played Nick Costello on the show.

Their son Lucas Giolito is now a big time MLB player for the White Sox. And based on his Twitter, Rick seems like a decent human (anti fascist/Trump), so, yay.

In the same old article I read that Jon Hensley and Hunter Tylo dated....must have been before she had work done.

by Anonymousreply 166August 16, 2021 5:44 PM

R164, Joseph Breen on GL holds the title as the least believable Latin male on a soap. He was way less convincing than Boynton was on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 167August 16, 2021 6:26 PM

R167 True, though that was a retcon of sorts to what Will was supposed to have originally been.

by Anonymousreply 168August 16, 2021 6:28 PM

After Lathag killed off patriarch "John Abbott" on Y&R, MAB came in and tried to bring Jerry Douglas back as a character named "Alistair Wallingford" who gave viewers a really really BAD Scottish accent.

by Anonymousreply 169August 16, 2021 6:56 PM

Yes, this is the P&G board but I'll say this quickly -

John Abbott was Y&R's Maureen Bauer. He was never a great actor and the character was not dynamic, but like Maureen, he was a linchpin. It was dumb to kill him off. Just like it was dumb to kill Alan Quartermaine off.

by Anonymousreply 170August 16, 2021 7:00 PM

Maureen Bauer was so fucking boring. No wonder the focus group wanted her gone.

by Anonymousreply 171August 16, 2021 7:53 PM

But R168, how was it a retcon of sorts? Wasn’t Will always meant to be revealed as Guillermo from Venezuela?

by Anonymousreply 172August 16, 2021 8:45 PM

Losing lazy Bev McKinsey, who never wanted to work, and frumpy Maureen Bauer, who never had a good story until the end, was a weight off of GL’s shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 173August 16, 2021 9:03 PM

R172 Not sure, but I don't think so.

So much of that story was just pulled out of someone's ass. I think the main points were mapped out but so much had to be spackled in over the writer's strike. Which is when I suspect "Guillermo" emerged.

by Anonymousreply 174August 16, 2021 9:52 PM

R174 And it was glorious! What a super soapy, fun story. It had everything, it shouldn’t have worked, yet it worked beautifully. Plus, we got to see Michelle Forbes and Kim Zimmer at their best as enemies. Kim almost didn’t know what to do with Forbes, but she rose to the occasion. Damn!

by Anonymousreply 175August 16, 2021 10:02 PM

That story was a hot mess. But a HOT mess!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176August 16, 2021 11:06 PM

The Maureen Bauer stans are the same people who love Fat Ed and TGL.

by Anonymousreply 177August 16, 2021 11:08 PM

Bev wanted to work 1 day a week. Anything over that was excessive.

by Anonymousreply 178August 16, 2021 11:08 PM

Sonni/Solita was hands down the most fun storyline I’ve ever seen. It had it all in spades. It was confusing, and super twisty, but it all made sense in the end, yet left you with questions. That is a great storyline. It’s a shame (for GL fans) Forbes went on the have a great career. Had she stayed around, she could have been one of those characters that endless story could be built around.

by Anonymousreply 179August 16, 2021 11:13 PM

Eileen made a big doo doo in the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 180August 16, 2021 11:14 PM

Serial Psycho is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 181August 16, 2021 11:15 PM

When is Queen Locher joint interviewing Helen Wagner and Margaret McLarty?

by Anonymousreply 182August 16, 2021 11:58 PM

Bev had no friends on the set because she only knew how to complain about EVERYTHING. JFP was glad to see her go.

by Anonymousreply 183August 17, 2021 12:00 AM

Bev hated working. She left Texas because she was over worked. She left GL because she was over worked. She had friggin 12 weeks off a year. What was so hard about it?

by Anonymousreply 184August 17, 2021 12:30 AM

Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 185August 17, 2021 12:34 AM

Has anyone found Zimmer’s DUI mugshot? Or did she pay to have it sealed?

by Anonymousreply 186August 17, 2021 12:57 AM

R186 She paid to have the mugshot show up under, DUI Cynthia Watros.”

by Anonymousreply 187August 17, 2021 1:00 AM

Someone's severe mental health issues and obsessions seem to include actors who have had DUIs.

by Anonymousreply 188August 17, 2021 1:41 AM

There's maybe seven of us who actually give a damn about soaps and one troll with seven talking points (DUIs, Eileen Fulton shitting, Doug Marland' having a foot fetish, what a supposed lazy bitch Beverlee McKinsey was, the goings on at SON, Spicen vs. Serial, Soche Martin -- did I miss any?).

by Anonymousreply 189August 17, 2021 1:46 AM

R150, except Sheridan and Luis; he declared they were star-crossed lovers throughout time -- he had the chance to put them together in the finale and said nah! A slap in the face to those fans who stuck with them for 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 190August 17, 2021 1:49 AM

R189 you got them, I think.

by Anonymousreply 191August 17, 2021 1:52 AM

I’m R187. I did respond to the DUI thing, but I thought I was being funny. Sorry!

Seriously, the Scoche and Vee troll needs to be banned.

by Anonymousreply 192August 17, 2021 1:54 AM

Everybody hated Colleen Z!

by Anonymousreply 193August 17, 2021 2:11 AM

He is nothing compared to Carlos Marcello David Escobar Rodriguez “El Puerco” Valdez!

by Anonymousreply 194August 17, 2021 2:38 AM

Ah, it's okay R192. That one actually was pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 195August 17, 2021 2:58 AM

Martha Byrne laughed when she found out that Eileen left a BIG doo doo in Goutman’s office one day while he was out directing in Studio 1.

by Anonymousreply 196August 17, 2021 6:54 AM

The problem with trying to get a certain "tourist" blocked is that Muriel is not known for her subtlety. It's an all or nothing scenario. So either we limp along as is or the entire thread(s) get shut down.

by Anonymousreply 197August 17, 2021 1:59 PM

Perhaps the thing to do to get rid of our Psycho is for all those who have him blocked to UNBLOCK him long enough to Freaks ad Flame him. After that you can BLOCK him again.

by Anonymousreply 198August 17, 2021 9:52 PM

I want Alan to interview Felisha Mini Bear and Leah Laymen!

by Anonymousreply 199August 17, 2021 10:18 PM

Muriel’s gonna shut down ALL soap threads, idiots.

by Anonymousreply 200August 17, 2021 10:34 PM

Am I the only one who loved the dark and disturbing Brent/Marion story on GL? It was so interesting and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 201August 17, 2021 10:42 PM

I love when you old queens talk about Sonni/Solita. Before my time but from the clips I've seen, it was amazing. I can only imagine how exciting that was to watch in real time without spoilers. Michelle Forbes is a goddess who should have had a bigger career.

by Anonymousreply 202August 17, 2021 10:48 PM

R201 It was exciting at the time, though I rewatched a few of the scenes and I think it was kinda gross about trans people. I know Brent wasn't trans and that wasn't the point of the story but it went to a little bit of an ugly place.

Unsurprising that Frank Beaty lost his shit in the middle of it.

by Anonymousreply 203August 17, 2021 11:35 PM

When will Alan interview AMC, GL, and OLTL legend Megan McTavish?

by Anonymousreply 204August 18, 2021 12:54 AM

R203 It had nothing to do with trans. It was about a psychopath who everyone thought was dead so he dressed as a woman to get close to his obsession. It didn’t even come close to anything sexuality-wise. Nothing. It was meant to be unsettling and it was one of the best storylines in the 90s on any show.

by Anonymousreply 205August 18, 2021 12:59 AM

Frank Beatty lost his shit for many reasons. Like Michelle Forbes, the role was extremely demanding. He also had some issues with a costar (allegedly) which left him in a bad mental place.

by Anonymousreply 206August 18, 2021 1:00 AM

The "issue" was that Rick Hearst was fucking him on the regular and he fell in love with his costar.

by Anonymousreply 207August 18, 2021 1:01 AM

R207 Was he really, though?

by Anonymousreply 208August 18, 2021 1:03 AM

R207 hot.

by Anonymousreply 209August 18, 2021 1:06 AM

R208 there's been persistent smoke around that rumor for years. I remember that one from way back in the RATSC days.

by Anonymousreply 210August 18, 2021 4:29 AM

Have we already been M'd?

by Anonymousreply 211August 18, 2021 8:57 PM

Ah, yes. So peaceful.

Like the lighthouse in the morning!

by Anonymousreply 212August 19, 2021 2:59 PM

Anybody watch the Cullitons on the Locher Room?

by Anonymousreply 213August 19, 2021 8:27 PM

Interesting - never saw this before.

The kid that was Ashley's son on Texas and briefly on GL and ATWT - his mom apparently stole his earnings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214August 19, 2021 8:30 PM

Damion Scheller is a paralegal now. We worked together at a real estate company a few years ago. I had no idea who he was until I came across that blog post above.

by Anonymousreply 215August 19, 2021 8:50 PM

that's horrible that his mother stole his money; no mention of her now? is she alive?

some people just shouldn't be parents.

by Anonymousreply 216August 20, 2021 4:18 PM

[quote] some people just shouldn't be parents.

I feel honored. This is my first time in a Marvelous Midwestern thread!

by Anonymousreply 217August 21, 2021 6:03 PM

Susan Stewart, mother of the year!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218August 24, 2021 2:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!