Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gossip Girl Part Deux

Since the other thread is locked to subscribers so the poors can't post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166December 23, 2022 12:20 PM

Link to previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1July 23, 2021 5:42 PM

Thomas’s body is exceptionally ripped. It’s much hotter than his face. Was he an athlete or something?

by Anonymousreply 2July 24, 2021 1:19 AM

Episode 3 was much better. Although I just want someone to point out: ITS FUCKED TO DATE YOUR EX'S SISTER

by Anonymousreply 3July 24, 2021 1:25 AM

It's blow my mind how no character has called Obie out on that r3. Did the writers not realize immediately going back and forth between sisters is weird?

He has been pretty toned for a while, but he put on a lot of muscle for this show r2. In older pics his body doesn't look like that.

by Anonymousreply 4July 24, 2021 1:31 AM

Episode 3 was really good. I totally got emotional when Max starting crying with his dads. They raised the both factor. Finally we have drugs, sex, Scruff, throuple tension. I liked how the OG GG was able to weave in relatively interesting parental characters into the plot. I hope to see more of JC and Max's parents. Audrey's mom looks like a hot mess. I love hot the teachers framed the indian chick in the firewall. I knew it would get better if they just stuck with the original formula.

by Anonymousreply 5July 24, 2021 2:57 AM

Great body but the face…

by Anonymousreply 6July 24, 2021 3:01 AM

Chuck Bass was hotter but Thomas Doherty *might* be a better actor. He can act circles around the guys. Little Z is annoying as fuck. Little J would have mopped the floor with her and her acting isn't great.

by Anonymousreply 7July 24, 2021 3:03 AM

What was the play where black men run around naked covered in blood shaking their big cocks in your face and screaming at you? Is that still happening?

by Anonymousreply 8July 24, 2021 7:46 AM

It is supposed to be a Jeremy O Harris play, looked like a riff on his "Black Exhibition" r8.

by Anonymousreply 9July 24, 2021 11:56 AM

R7 what? Chuck’s body has always been a bloated mess…..

by Anonymousreply 10July 24, 2021 4:35 PM

I forgot that Blair had a gay dad and stepdad. Unlike Max who had gay dads since birth, Blair did not like her new stepdad. I remember her hiring a male model that he might have had a fling with and had him show up at her mom's holiday party. Blair was never afraid to hire sex workers in various capacities, including pretending that they were her new group of friends at NYU, when she was friendless.

by Anonymousreply 11July 24, 2021 5:06 PM

Was there any gay content in episode 3? Don't know if I should watch or not.

by Anonymousreply 12July 24, 2021 5:12 PM

Episode 3 is going to back to the OG formula. There is a lot of gay content including possible infidelities with Max's dad via scruff, the fallout of Max trying to do a takedown of his dad, and the throuple continues to evolve. Definitely the best episode so far and the most focused on the gay family dynamics.

by Anonymousreply 13July 24, 2021 5:15 PM

We also see the black lesbian mean girl french kissing another chick while plotting with the trans girl. I think they just needed to find their groove.

by Anonymousreply 14July 24, 2021 5:17 PM

Does Lukas Gage have a role in the reboot? Just asking because he was in New York, hanging with Thomas Doherty. Zachary Quinto too...

by Anonymousreply 15July 24, 2021 5:18 PM

Not that I am aware of R15. He's on Euphoria which is on HBO - maybe they are friends through association.

by Anonymousreply 16July 24, 2021 5:30 PM

R15 I think they gathered for a friend of a friend’s birthday three days ago and that’s it

by Anonymousreply 17July 24, 2021 7:15 PM

I liked this episode, but I'm so over the Lukas Haas-esque henchwomen. They keep acting like Zoya is this major threat when, aside from the boyfriend, nobody seems to care much about her. And their entire lives revolve around Julien's brand. You're boring, fuck off.

The gay teacher has a sweet ass, but he's very dumb. Yes, I'm gonna constantly hang around this student who wants to bang me. Nothing will happen ;)

by Anonymousreply 18July 29, 2021 8:40 AM

[Quote]The gay teacher has a sweet ass, but he's very dumb. Yes, I'm gonna constantly hang around this student who wants to bang me. Nothing will happen ;)

The point is the character obviously was into Max r18. He was trying to "do the right thing", he wanted to do this the whole time.

Max giving a shout out to the Cock made me laugh, was there last weekend. Though it's basement, not a backroom.

Also the drama between Julien/Zoya is just not interesting to me. Whenever there is so much focus on that I'm bored. That's why I think last weeks episode worked better, that plotline took a backseat.

by Anonymousreply 19July 29, 2021 12:54 PM

R19 he was very bad at "trying to do the right thing" is my point. Tissues are firmer.

Yeah, the J/Z drama is dumb because it's the henchwomen pushing it...for reasons. Blair was always jealous of Serena because people naturally gravitated towards her and propped her up. With the exception of Obie, and the attention she gets for being on his arm, nobody seems to give a shit about Z. But the henchwomen act like she's a massive threat to their lives and popularity.

by Anonymousreply 20July 29, 2021 4:08 PM

That is a big problem with the plotline r20. They are trying to make sure Julien and Zoya both stay likable so it's just just the henchmen characters trying to create drama for no real reason. That makes it not that interesting.

[Quote]he was very bad at "trying to do the right thing" is my point. Tissues are firmer.

Fair. I mean Max has treated him like shit and he can't stay away from him. The only way you can really make sense of it is that is that he really is into Max. I mean the only thing we really know about the guy is he has a thirst trap instagram and threads about him on male general. He is presumably a whore at heart and sees a kindred spirit in Max's wild ways. Idk, I am probably thinking about this more than the writers.

by Anonymousreply 21July 29, 2021 5:22 PM

R21 "yeah, I used your pics to catfish my dad and I've basically stalked you for weeks. You know you want me"

Everytime the henchwomen are plotting, I want to fastforward. It would've made MUCH more sense if they were afraid of Zoya, as Julien's sister, taking their place as her confidante. But no, they're afraid that Give No Fucks About Popularity Zoya will take the place of Queen Bee Julien. That would be like being afraid Vanessa would replace Blair. Which the writers might've tried if the original lasted much longer.

[quote] I am probably thinking about this more than the writers.

100%

by Anonymousreply 22July 29, 2021 5:29 PM

That blonde teacher is an embarrassingly terrible actor.

by Anonymousreply 23July 29, 2021 6:23 PM

Yes she is r23.

by Anonymousreply 24July 29, 2021 6:57 PM

r23, Really? I think she's ok.

by Anonymousreply 25July 29, 2021 7:21 PM

Their plot against Zoya didn't even make sense. The big bad thing she did was graffiti the school? What teenager gives a fuck about that. And the video showing her getting bullied would obviously make people feel bad for her.

It was all really dumb.

by Anonymousreply 26July 29, 2021 7:29 PM

I quit episode 4 after 10 minutes and swore there's too much streaming content to devote time watching a show I don't really like. However, I also hate leaving shows halfway watched, so I just resumed the episode...

Glad I stuck with it. Although it took a second, once the weird boy said his name was Milo, I figured he was Georgina's son!

by Anonymousreply 27July 31, 2021 6:27 PM

I suspect a hand towel would have sufficed.

by Anonymousreply 28July 31, 2021 6:37 PM

I don't think the show requires a lot of good acting from the cast. However, I think Thomas Doherty manages to rise above it at times. The rest? Not so much. But then the show doesn't give most of them anything to work with anyway. And in some cases, like Evan Mock that's a blessing.

by Anonymousreply 29July 31, 2021 8:31 PM

Are we supposed to be rooting for Max and the Not Hot Teacher with Too Much Foundation? Not only is their relationship creepy, they have zero chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 30August 1, 2021 12:25 AM

I think they are both hot (Max and the teacher). And one of the gay daddy & son fantasies is teacher and student just like coach and jock.

by Anonymousreply 31August 1, 2021 1:54 AM

I'm 100% confident a later storyline will involve shrill blonde teacher throwing gay teacher under the bus and posting about his relationship with Max.

by Anonymousreply 32August 1, 2021 2:24 AM

I'll take a break from shitting on the show to point out a legitimately funny joke from the last episode:

When Julien was in the process of being cancelled for past Tweets, in order to convey how bad the situation was, Audrey said something like, "And Jameela Jamil just defended you!"

by Anonymousreply 33August 1, 2021 2:29 AM

I actually agree they don't have a ton of chemistry r30, I didn't think the big kissing scene was as hot as it was supposed to be. Though maybe that was Thomas Doherty's heteroness poking through.

And yeah I did like that line r33.

by Anonymousreply 34August 1, 2021 2:45 AM

AHHH!!!!! I am so frustrated with this show! I thought they were going in the right direction in the last episode and now I feel like we are back at the pilot with episode 4. They need to let the characters off their leash.

[quote] That is a big problem with the plotline [R20]. They are trying to make sure Julien and Zoya both stay likable so it's just just the henchmen characters trying to create drama for no real reason. That makes it not that interesting.

THIS! While I like Julien and Zoya, their plot and these girls can't carry the show along with Obie. Audrey, Max and Aki are what make it hot and I like Julien when her plot line isn't around her boring sister. She should have tried to destroy her dad's girlfriend. I feel like Monet and Luna set up the chess pieces for a good take down and then the two sisters like it fizzle. The writers need to decide on a direction. It's

by Anonymousreply 35August 1, 2021 4:57 AM

Max has an unattractive face and has been around the block several times. I find it hard to believe that gay teacher would risk it all for that used up hole.

by Anonymousreply 36August 1, 2021 5:31 AM

[quote] She should have tried to destroy her dad's girlfriend.

Please, it's so obvious that she's in this relationship to help her failed singing career (dad's a music producer, remember?). The scene where she drills Julien about how she got so popular on social media made it quite clear. That relationship will implode on its own.

by Anonymousreply 37August 1, 2021 7:32 AM

How many times will Julien let herself be manipulated by her toxic minions? That bit got old fast.

I like the other gay teacher, the blonde one's sidekick. He acts like he cares about blondie (cutting her off Gossip Girl until she has written her novel she can present to some publisher), but you can bet he jerks off to imagining Max and other gay teacher having hot, forbidden sex.

by Anonymousreply 38August 1, 2021 7:37 AM

Do we know the sidekick to GG teacher is gay? I thought maybe he had a crush? THANK GOD she's not heading into a romance with Z's dad. I though that is where they were heading earlier

by Anonymousreply 39August 1, 2021 3:06 PM

Episode 4 was awful. It makes no sense why anyone would think video of Zoya spray painting a wall would ruin her. And what happened to the “splash zone”? I was expecting Julien to puke her guts out. Instead even the random reversing of words (the stupidest portrayal of being high I’ve ever seen) seemed to vanish as soon as she set foot on stage. Also, Julien saying she’d tell her minions to put their weapons down made no sense since they’d started the whole war against her wishes to begin with. And then of course there’s the teacher rejecting Max in a bathhouse and naked in the shower, but deciding that Max showing up crying on his door was when he was just overcome with lust? Wtf.

by Anonymousreply 40August 1, 2021 4:07 PM

Can someone please explain the "splash zone" and why J was binging on all the baked goods? Was she high? I heard Milo Sparks mentions something, but it didn't compute. I know it's a bad episode or movie when I grab my phone and start scrolling. I must have missed something by not paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 41August 1, 2021 4:18 PM

The Max and the teacher scene was hot. They have great chemistry. I know he and Aki are probably endgame, which is a shame. I think he has more chemistry with the teacher than Aki.

by Anonymousreply 42August 1, 2021 8:20 PM

R30 Really? I think they have great chemistry. They have more chemistry than Max does with Aki. Which is nothing. Maybe it's the actor's fault. He has gay panic and can't act for shit. That's why it works better between Max and the teacher.

by Anonymousreply 43August 1, 2021 8:23 PM

I don't think Aki and Max are endgame at all. Given the show's attempt to be less about cat fights and more woke (and I use that word positively) I think it's likely that Aki and Audrey, after some drama, make their open relationship work where both can have flings on the side.

by Anonymousreply 44August 1, 2021 8:49 PM

R39 Hard to say. It could just be because Adam Chanler-Berat is gay, so he can't really play straight.

by Anonymousreply 45August 3, 2021 3:50 AM

Did I see a glimpse of side peen from the teacher?

by Anonymousreply 46August 4, 2021 2:41 AM

Episode 5 - It was OK. So far I think episode 3 has been by far the best. The gay teacher's make up really bothers me. He would be so much hotter without it.

by Anonymousreply 47August 6, 2021 4:31 AM

Episode 5 was the worst yet. The kid playing Aki seriously cannot act and the girl playing Julien is pretty but has zero charisma whatsoever. The plot lines are either boring as hell (the feud was never interesting and now we're supposed to care about stolen Halloween costumes? Seriously?) or are completely ridiculous—and not in a fun, soapy way, but in a "who the hell writes this shit?" kind of way. Are we supposed to think the Raffa/Max affair is sexy and fun or are we supposed to think Raffa is a creep and a predator? I legitimately have no idea what they're going for. Also, the idea that a teacher would show up with a Halloween mask on and think he wouldn't be recognized is fucking absurd—and they couldn't even be bothered to have him keep it on the whole time. So stupid. I think I'm gonna watch the next episode since it's the midseason finale and then I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 48August 6, 2021 4:54 AM

Oh and I forgot to mention that having Zoya and Obie's relationship (which is sleep inducing) threatened by a third party after only 4 episodes is the laziest writing ever. And perhaps made even lazier by the storyline ending in one episode. God, this show is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 49August 6, 2021 5:04 PM

What a waste of Laura Benanti

by Anonymousreply 50August 6, 2021 5:10 PM

The girl playing Julien cannot act.

Zoya is not likable. Same with Obie.

Audrey girl is trying way too hard, and failing, to be Blaire 2.0

Rafa and Max together is just disgusting. I cringed when they showed Max swallowing. Was that supposed to be sexy?

by Anonymousreply 51August 6, 2021 7:44 PM

Not only Max swallowing, R51, but swallowing right next to an open door just steps from a busy school hallway.

by Anonymousreply 52August 6, 2021 8:07 PM

I love the way Max just had to inform everybody that he is a top.

by Anonymousreply 53August 6, 2021 8:32 PM

I just realized one thing that’s seriously missing from the show: Humor. Despite the rapid fire bitchy quips, there’s no Darota or Georgina types to lighten things up a little. Everyone’s so angst ridden.

by Anonymousreply 54August 6, 2021 9:05 PM

We are supposed to believe that a successful playwright would stop everything at a party to listen to Zoya's musings? Or that her father would be okay with letting his 14 year old date Obie? Z turning bitch overnight is also a hard sell.

by Anonymousreply 55August 6, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote] The kid playing Aki seriously cannot act and the girl playing Julien is pretty but has zero charisma whatsoever.

Agreed. These bitches are doomed to toil in obscurity. It's not even so bad it's good - it's just bad and boring.

by Anonymousreply 56August 7, 2021 6:35 AM

I think episode 3 showed there could be chemistry and interesting plot lines. Julien works well with Max and Audrey without the rest of the cast, who are dead weight. I wonder if they are going to write in the rival girls from Dalton or wherever who dressed as Serena and Blair for the episodes released in the fall. After 5 episodes, the structuring of the cast doesn't work and new alliances need to be made.

by Anonymousreply 57August 7, 2021 6:52 AM

Shockingly bad acting all over the place. I swear irs the worst on all of television right now. They cast for looks and style, and that’s it. The actor playing Aki is so physically right for the role, but just the worst actor I’ve seen in forever.

Compounding that is the terrible writing others have mentioned. Just so much wrong with it. Zoya is a different person in every episode. In this last one, she ignored Obie completely. Huh? And why would Obie put up with her for even a minute?

Getting lost in a fantasy world is one thing, but this show is just wretched.

by Anonymousreply 58August 7, 2021 7:22 AM

Audrey (Blair wannabe) tried to lick her boyfriend's asshole. She should have started with a finger at least!

by Anonymousreply 59August 7, 2021 7:55 AM

Eli Brown is so criminally underused in this (He's basically just a plot device in the Zoya / Julien / Obie love triange). He can do a lot better with a decent script. He showed that in the Pretty Little Liars spinoff and The Fuck-It List.

At least Thomas Doherty gets something to do on the show. Even when it's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 60August 7, 2021 8:40 AM

I love Thomas Doherty, but he looked old in the BJ scene in the opening. Maybe it was the lighting, but he looked older than the teacher. Regardless, he's the breakout performer. With Aki, I think they were trying to go the Chace Crawford route. Stand and look pretty, while delivering minimal lines. I watched some of the OG season 1-2 episodes and Nate wasn't as terrible an actor as everyone said, at least compared to this cast. Nate was good in his sex scenes with all the cougars he is into and he can act enough that it's believable.

BTW, I knew the teacher had a crush on the blonde GG - I can't even remember her name. Did someone say he was a gay actor in real life?

by Anonymousreply 61August 7, 2021 5:00 PM

R61 - it looks like the teacher is dipped in wax and then packed with foundation.

by Anonymousreply 62August 7, 2021 5:01 PM

I really do hate that they take what looks like an attractive man with the teacher and paint him with all that makeup. He would look so much better without it.

by Anonymousreply 63August 7, 2021 5:11 PM

I’ve looked at Jason Gotay’s Instagram and I don’t think it’s makeup—I think that’s just how he looks. It reminds me of everyone thinking Nestor Carbonell was wearing eyeliner on Lost when he wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 64August 8, 2021 5:52 AM

Another problem is that the show overuses characters that should only appear every 2 or 3 episodes. Julien's minions and Julien's and Zoya's dads don't need to appear in every episode. Hell, if it weren't for the current socio-political climate, I would like to see Julien's minions really get what's coming to them (but the optics wouldn't be the best...so they'll probably end up becoming BFFs with Zoya in some lame redemption arc).

by Anonymousreply 65August 8, 2021 6:32 AM

Jason Gotay *strongly* reminds me of Terri Griffith from Just One of the Guys when she was in male drag. Is Leigh McCloskey going to appear and beat up Max?

by Anonymousreply 66August 8, 2021 7:37 AM

Jason Gotay is supposedly 5'10", which means his fiance is a midget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67August 8, 2021 7:43 AM

I still can't believe that Adam Chanler-Berat's character isn't gay.

I guess having 2 gay teachers on one show would've been too much.

by Anonymousreply 68August 8, 2021 9:56 PM

Same r68. It blew my mind when I realized his character was supposed supposed be straight, sorry, but that actor does not do a good job of presenting as straight.

The one good thing about this episode is we all complained the gay teachers inability to stay away from Max made no sense, at least that was purposeful by the writers.

Yep r54. This show needs way more humor, way more of a sense of fun. It's far too self-serious for what should be a campy good time.

by Anonymousreply 69August 9, 2021 7:04 PM

The basic issue is, if you don't want catfight drama in your show what other drama will you use that keeps people watching? Love triangles without catfights over the third person aren't that captivating. Drama needs conflict, it needs tragedy, and it needs people betraying and bastabbing other people and getting confrontational about it, aka catfight.

by Anonymousreply 70August 9, 2021 7:15 PM

Sorry, backstabbing other people.

by Anonymousreply 71August 9, 2021 7:16 PM

Thomas Doherty trying to earn himself some gay cred.

"I'm straight, but its so much cooler to be ambiguous queer!"

Sit down Doherty, either you suck dick or not.

[Quote]Like many of his age-group peers, Doherty says he doesn’t believe in labels. “I think it is very limiting, and I think as I get older and experience life a little bit more, you constantly evolve and you’re constantly growing,” he says. “I feel like labels limit you. They’re almost walls to your growth.” Asked later about how he identifies, Doherty — who is reportedly dating model Yasmin Wijnaldum — says that he wouldn’t use a label to describe himself. “It’s just been girls,” he says of his romantic relationships. “That’s a preference. But 26, living in New York …” He trails off as he gives a devilish smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 11, 2021 6:28 PM

Oh fuck off Mr Doherty

by Anonymousreply 73August 11, 2021 6:45 PM

Keep on like that, TD, and you’ll be cancelled for queer-baiting.

by Anonymousreply 74August 11, 2021 6:50 PM

Yeah unless you are saying "yes I've had sex with men", no one wants your queerbaiting. Saying "I totally might...one day" is just dumb.

by Anonymousreply 75August 11, 2021 7:14 PM

Everyone thought Chase Crawford and Ed Westwick were gay back in the day. They weren't so overt as TD, but they played up their bromance. I think they shared an apartment in the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 76August 12, 2021 2:39 AM

These days there are a ton of 20 somethings like Doherty who live in hipster enclaves and think because they wear nail polish and know drag race they are queer. While they continue to only chase after girls who will let their guard down because they totally don't present with "toxic masculinity".

If you've met one you've met them all.

by Anonymousreply 77August 12, 2021 2:53 AM

Just finished the finale. Yikes, that was bad. It really emphasized how poorly developed most of the characters and relationships are and, my god, Julien and Aki cannot fucking act. I gave it 6 episodes, which I think was more than enough to decide I'm done with this crapfest.

by Anonymousreply 78August 12, 2021 3:31 PM

I'm in the middle of the 5th episode, and somehow Audrey has managed to take the title of Queen Cunt. Her mother is flat broke and she wants to continue loving in Manhattan and attending an exclusive private school? If she doesn't end this season as a hooker, I'm done.

by Anonymousreply 79August 12, 2021 3:39 PM

When you bring in the guy playing Aki-s dad who can actually act, it does remind you how amateurish a lot of the rest of the cast around him is

Were we supposed to be cheering on Zoya? Her behavior at the dinner was absurd.

I don't know, I don't even know why I am watching this. It has gay sex and has some nice New York footage? I feel like that's pretty much all that is keeping me going.

by Anonymousreply 80August 13, 2021 12:24 AM

None of the main kids can act well.

by Anonymousreply 81August 13, 2021 12:38 AM

The blonde teacher talks weird.

by Anonymousreply 82August 14, 2021 7:05 AM

Terrible 6th episode. It was again extremely boring. Z and her dad just doesn't work. They should have ended this on some kind of major cliffhanger. It starts back up in November. No previews, nothing! Hopefully they will retool the show. The only good episode was the 3rd one.

by Anonymousreply 83August 14, 2021 7:10 AM

The gay teacher is a petty little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 84August 14, 2021 7:20 AM

Why the fuck would Zoya be mouthing off like that? That was way over the top.

by Anonymousreply 85August 14, 2021 7:24 AM

Aki's parents are supposed to be the Murdochs?

by Anonymousreply 86August 14, 2021 7:40 AM

Yep r86, it wasn't subtle, his Dad is supposed to be Rupert Murdoch.

by Anonymousreply 87August 14, 2021 7:45 AM

What is with Luna's voice?

by Anonymousreply 88August 14, 2021 8:36 AM

I hope Helena Bergmann—Obie’s mother (Lyn Renee, Dutch actress)—is a big character. She provides some much-needed Euro-fabulousness. I also hope she moves on from doing tiny YouTube interviews like she did for Fort Salem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 14, 2021 1:54 PM

Luna’s voice was how I realized the actress is trans.

by Anonymousreply 90August 14, 2021 3:42 PM

I have actually grown to like Luna. She's the only one who seems like she has a sense of humor and seems like she is having some fun with her role. Sh has some good one liners. For trans, it must be a huge accomplishment to have made it as one of the beautiful bitches of Gossip Girl. That's that like Mt. Olympus territory. If we are going to bring a trans girl on, I would like to know more about her and her family life. She probably has the most interesting story to tell.

Is Monet gone officially now? I loved the way they styled her - her clothing, mostly Chanel, was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 91August 14, 2021 4:21 PM

Zoya was so completely insufferable in the last 2 episodes that I ended up preferring her bald sister. Her behavior at the dinner was so fucking grating. I wanted that German mother to throw her ass out of the restaurant.

Lol’d when that kid sent the sex video of him fucking the gay teacher to GG. Convenient he casually had that on his phone with perfect angles of both him and the teacher getting pounded. And lol that they made him the top. That hot gay teacher just loved getting pounded by a 17 year old.

Aki was the only one who seemed like a real kid to me. Quiet and awkward and not well spoken. The rest of them spoke like the millennials writing the show. The behavior of the blonde anorexic at the hospital was so absurd. Like a 17 year old would (a) speak like that and (b) not get reprimanded immediately. Her screaming at the staff and making a scene was just so fake and stupid.

Anthony Rapp’s ex-boyfriend really thinks he is something but the show is garbage. Garbage that I WILL continue to watch though. So I guess he wins.

Are any kids actually watching this? I wonder what the “ratings” are - if that’s still a thing with streaming.

Surprisingly good soundtrack. Whoever the music supervisor is - nicely done.

by Anonymousreply 92August 14, 2021 4:31 PM

I like episode three and six the best. It started to come together by episode six with Eli Brown getting more to do. Obviously, the Max & Rafa storyline is the standout so far. Nice turn around at episode four. Malcolm McDowell was pretty great as Rupert Murdoch stand in, Obi's mom was great, too.

With a few tweaks, the show could get amazing. Hope the showrunners use the time well.

by Anonymousreply 93August 14, 2021 4:35 PM

[quote] The behavior of the blonde anorexic at the hospital was so absurd. Like a 17 year old would (a) speak like that and (b) not get reprimanded immediately. Her screaming at the staff and making a scene was just so fake and stupid.

I think they were trying to put her into neurotic Blair Waldorf territory. This is how Blair would have handled a hospitalization but in a much more nuanced and comedic way in her micromanaging. I don't know who this actress is, but Gen Z seems to like her. She came off of another show.

by Anonymousreply 94August 14, 2021 5:14 PM

Yes R94 - I actually like the actress - it was more the writing was so silly for a teenager. Teenagers are sophisticated sure but that level of hysteria and nonsense with doctors and nurses at a hospital was so grating. That and the Zoya behavior at the dinner was too much. But maybe kids think it’s great. I’m way outside their target demographic.

by Anonymousreply 95August 14, 2021 5:32 PM

Really don't like this bisexual love triangle storyline. Why is it so hard to portray gay people, in particular gay men? Now they have to be bisexual. Fuck this shit.

by Anonymousreply 96August 14, 2021 9:07 PM

The problem I have with this show is that they don't act like real people. Say what you want about Rafa, he might be a predator, pervert... whatever, but he's not dumb. Hitting back at Max when he's at his weakest is not something he would ever do. It just doesn't make sense. The revenge plot is so fucking stupid. What he should have done is grovel and ask for forgiveness and make a grand romantic gesture to show he cares about him. That's how you win him back, not by plotting revenge.

by Anonymousreply 97August 14, 2021 9:11 PM

R92 Literally what I was thinking. No way is Max a top. Wtf?! The way they're making the teacher out to be some predator makes no sense if he is the bottom. A predator would always be the top.

by Anonymousreply 98August 14, 2021 9:14 PM

R72 He is gay baiting.

by Anonymousreply 99August 14, 2021 9:18 PM

The show lost all sense of reality when they had the 17 year old top kid blowing the predatory bottom teacher AT SCHOOL next to an open door while 2 feet away from them crowds of kids were walking in the hallways.

That was just stupid. And I’m not even mentioning the exaggerated SWALLOWING the top kid did before getting up off his knees.

by Anonymousreply 100August 14, 2021 9:30 PM

R100 Which episode was that?

by Anonymousreply 101August 14, 2021 9:34 PM

I *think* episode 5 - happens in the very beginning of the episode. If you don’t see it within the first 10 minutes then it’s episode 4.

by Anonymousreply 102August 14, 2021 9:39 PM

Does Malcolm McDowell need work so bad that he's doing this show?

by Anonymousreply 103August 14, 2021 11:40 PM

r97, Rafa turned out to be a bit of a sleaze who has a habit of hitting on his students in the past. All the mind games at the start with Max was just an act, and Max wasn't such a predator after all. As the fictional teenager he is, he just fell for Rafa's game. And in that context the "blowing the teacher at school with the door open" makes sense since Rafa has some experience with dating students on the downlow in this small and easy accessible recording devices era of social media.

His idea of a big, romantic gesture (their relationship is still supposed to be a secret) was to corner Max right at the school entrance (is that extra coffee for me?). I think that was his attempt to ignite that forbidden love spark again. But that is no longer working for Max.

by Anonymousreply 104August 15, 2021 2:43 AM

I was really disappointed when they turned the 'Max tries to seduce the older teacher but gets turned down' subplot into yet another 'predatory gay teacher sleeps with several students' subplot.

by Anonymousreply 105August 15, 2021 2:46 AM

r105, yet another? How many gay themed ones are there?

by Anonymousreply 106August 15, 2021 2:54 AM

My bad. I probably should've left out the 'yet another' part. Still didn't like how they basically changed his character for no real reason.

by Anonymousreply 107August 15, 2021 3:07 AM

R104 - true but it is extremely risky to let a student blow you next to an open door while tons of kids are in the hall. Regardless of any history fucking underage students.

Kind of a shitty way to portray a gay teacher. Not only does he have sex with the underage student, he has a history of fucking underage students and he does it at the actual school with no shame.

by Anonymousreply 108August 15, 2021 3:49 AM

r108, Gays can be creeps, too. Not all Gays can be as nice and wholesome as us on DL. *trying to type that with a straight face*

by Anonymousreply 109August 15, 2021 4:05 AM

I mean you need more creeps in a show like this. There is supposed to be drama, if everyone is nice what the hell is the point of the show.

by Anonymousreply 110August 15, 2021 6:05 AM

R90 What? Luna looks like a sex doll. Very generic, very artificial.

by Anonymousreply 111August 16, 2021 6:21 PM

Was there no new episode yesterday?

by Anonymousreply 112August 20, 2021 2:45 PM

No new episodes until November

by Anonymousreply 113August 20, 2021 3:02 PM

You know this show is bad when the hottest actor is playing bald girl's dad.

by Anonymousreply 114August 20, 2021 5:02 PM

You don't fancy the 40 year old-looking Max? How about the bitchy foundation queen?

by Anonymousreply 115August 20, 2021 6:24 PM

No. But Luke Kirby is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 116August 20, 2021 7:51 PM

[quote] Luna’s voice was how I realized the actress is trans.

Not the fact that she’s 6’5 with Leno chin?

by Anonymousreply 117August 21, 2021 5:52 PM

[quote] Yep [R86], it wasn't subtle, his Dad is supposed to be Rupert Murdoch.

Malcolm McDowell has played Rupert Murdoch avatars in at least 3 shows including Law And Order: Criminal Intent and even played the man himself in Bombshell.

by Anonymousreply 118August 21, 2021 6:00 PM

A lot of these comments are coming from one poster one two accounts…. Just FYI.

Explains the repetitive posts and lack of interactions. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 119August 21, 2021 10:55 PM

R114 I found Dan’s dad the hottest guy on the OG show.

To the people bitching about the bad acting, it’s not even that bad. What are you crying about? I’m so sick of the weird rose tinted lenses mentality when it comes to the OG show.

They had TERRIBLE writing, TERRIBLE storyline, TERRIBLE acting, some useless characters etc.

Nate was awful and it’s why they always gave him the least to do. Aki is far more sweet and charming at least.

You all (mostly one poster on more than one account. Hey boo) would not be bitching about this if it were all white characters. Also, this show has been following season 1 of the OG show, rewatch it. Even episode 1 followed a similar format, so I don’t understand the never ending bitching.

The bitchfest we think of with GG didn’t take off fully until season 2. Season 1 was more tame.

This show has a lot of the same writers as the OG show and the producers etc. all came back.

by Anonymousreply 120August 21, 2021 11:00 PM

It's also 14 years since the original series premiered, so that carryover audience is older and more likely to have higher expectations in TV show r120. This is also on HBO(max) so it comes with higher expectations, especially off the heels of their first highschool drama Euphoria.

by Anonymousreply 121August 21, 2021 11:04 PM

Jesus fucking Christ, R120, stop policing opinions and trying to make this show happen. It sucks. It sucks so hard nobody even wants to talk about it in it's so bad it's good sort of way. This show is worse then bad, it's boring. It's coma inducing. And it has nothing to do with the show not being 100% white.

Was the original GG perfect? No. But it was memorable at least.

by Anonymousreply 122August 21, 2021 11:38 PM

It is happening r122, HBOMax’s most successful show so far. You can sit and bitch all day, but people are watching.

R121 the show is for a newer audience. The OG watchers can watch too, but this is for young people, not 50 year olds who watched the OG show in their 30s (and they were too old for that one too).

by Anonymousreply 123August 21, 2021 11:49 PM

I hope you're being paid for this R123. Because nobody else gives a flying fuck.

by Anonymousreply 124August 22, 2021 12:09 AM

R124 if that were the case you wouldn’t have as many posts on this thread as you do.

by Anonymousreply 125August 22, 2021 12:13 AM

R122 If you don't like this show maybe unfollow this thread

by Anonymousreply 126August 22, 2021 12:31 AM

R126 exactly. But he’s the main one all over it! Yet all he does is bitch about it.

by Anonymousreply 127August 22, 2021 12:34 AM

I've posted like 4 times on this thread, you dumb fuck. I leave you to your echo chamber. You seem to only enjoy your own thoughts and opinions spit back at you, so have at it.

by Anonymousreply 128August 22, 2021 4:43 AM

I love Jason Gotay and have since I first saw him in Bring It On on Broadway. While the show has its flaws, happy to see him getting TV work. Happy his TV work includes numerous views of his bare ass.

by Anonymousreply 129August 22, 2021 11:17 AM

Every show has its flaws. Especially the original.

by Anonymousreply 130August 22, 2021 11:31 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131August 22, 2021 11:32 AM

IT SUCKS!!!!!! I went in with excitement and an open mind. Yes, I will probably watch the next 6 episodes in November with the hope the producers have read the comment cards and reviews. Gossip Girl is bitchy, nasty, campy fun.

Go hard or go home - xoxo, GG

by Anonymousreply 132August 22, 2021 4:05 PM

R132 And yet, you've posted several times alone in this thread

by Anonymousreply 133August 22, 2021 4:08 PM

Hon r133, if you think DL threads for a show are just going to be some cheerleadfest I don't know what corner of the internet you stumbled here because that is not this board and it has never been this board.

Yes people are going to post here about the problems they have with it and if you can't handle that (do you work on it or something, sound so offended) then you should go elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 134August 22, 2021 4:17 PM

It's pretty obvious that the new GG show wasn't made to please the old fans of the original show. This show is all about the new young teen demographic and its point of view. Things like acting don't matter much to them. This is about them and if they think of these teen characters as interesting enough to watch the show. It's easy to find significant flaws if the show doesn't cater or pander to your demographic in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 135August 22, 2021 4:24 PM

Again, the acting is no worse than the original show.

by Anonymousreply 136August 22, 2021 4:26 PM

R135 Acting always matters. But then again, this show is kind of flopping overall and doesn’t compare to the original show at al….

by Anonymousreply 137August 22, 2021 4:46 PM

[quote] This show is all about the new young teen demographic and its point of view.

Do young people even like this show? My niece is in high school and loved the original but described the reboot as "weird." I feel like stories about teachers fucking students and cruising in bathhouses aren't being written for kids today who are prudish and deeply offended by everything.

by Anonymousreply 138August 22, 2021 5:00 PM

[quote] [R135] Acting always matters.

For style over substance teens who keep up with the Kardashians? Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 139August 22, 2021 5:01 PM

R139 This is a show for Gen Z. Authenticity is very important to them. Kardashians are for millennials.

by Anonymousreply 140August 22, 2021 5:18 PM

r140, Social media authenticity. Even the show made a point of that, with Julien no longer using filters for her Instagram posts.

by Anonymousreply 141August 22, 2021 5:25 PM

I think it seems very clearly written by a bunch of 30 somethings.

by Anonymousreply 142August 22, 2021 5:30 PM

I have posted maybe 9-10 times on the thread, so fuck off to the person who has been monitoring the thread for the last couple of days. If you are part of the GG team, what I have said multiple times is that I WANT to like this. I'm continually giving it chances because I thing the OG GG was a cultural moment and was fun. I want to see how that has evolved for this new generation. I'm even fine with the casting aesthetically, although the acting is mostly subpar. Even so, you need DRAMA as the engine to make this go. Report back to Josh Schwartz that this needs drama or a strong lead. Leighton Meester/Blair carried the show, even when it started getting shitty by the end of season 3. I am not saying she is some Oscar/Emmy actress, but she was the perfect Blair and that made the show work. OG GG found the strongest characters/actors and then built the plot points around them. You all need to figure out that formula with the reboots. I want you to succeed!

by Anonymousreply 143August 22, 2021 5:31 PM

Good acting can cover for bad writing. Good writing can cover for bad acting. But this show has both bad writing and bad acting.

by Anonymousreply 144August 22, 2021 5:32 PM

One more thing (post 12), Gen Z doesn't take themselves as seriously as millennials do. Many Gen Z have seen the OG and like the campy, bitchy over the top antics. Gen Z wants and deserves the opportunity to be mean girls as well. Give this generation the chance to vamp it up in all their gender/sexuality bending glory. Send them to the undercover sex brothel Bart Bass was involved in.

by Anonymousreply 145August 22, 2021 5:36 PM

I don’t even find the acting that bad. Please show me a scene where the acting is so bad…

by Anonymousreply 146August 22, 2021 5:41 PM

I read the cast consists of two openly gay actors. Who are they and who do they play?

by Anonymousreply 147August 22, 2021 6:45 PM

R146 Aki is horrible. His girlfriend is not much better. Everyone else is ok.

by Anonymousreply 148August 22, 2021 6:45 PM

Aki is perfectly fine at doing what he does. His character is having a sexuality crisis. He’s soft spoken and sweet. Some people actually are like that. Not everyone is loud and awful like DLers.

by Anonymousreply 149August 22, 2021 6:49 PM

R147 Jason Gotay and Adam Chanler-Berat, both teachers

by Anonymousreply 150August 22, 2021 8:15 PM

I know the girl plays Monet said she is bisexual as well.

by Anonymousreply 151August 22, 2021 8:24 PM

Oh yeah, and Max's dads are both played by openly gay actors. Though they are far from major characters.

by Anonymousreply 152August 22, 2021 8:32 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153September 6, 2021 5:27 PM

Looks like filming for a future episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 6, 2021 5:39 PM

They are a beautiful couple. I hope they have read the comments and make the second half better.

by Anonymousreply 155September 6, 2021 5:56 PM

HBO has gone ahead and renewed this for a season 2. I can only hope the show will improve as the writers see what works and doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 156September 9, 2021 7:38 PM

As for me, I'll be letting my tan fade and will be getting my teeth whitened for the fall episodes!

by Anonymousreply 157September 10, 2021 5:12 AM

Does anybody care that this show is coming back next week? I don't.

by Anonymousreply 158November 19, 2021 12:49 PM

So HBOmax reminded me this show is back. Watching it now and the first thing which stands out post hiatus is Evan Mock's acting has gotten a lot better. I mean he had nowhere to go but up, but glad to see he put in the work of getting better.

by Anonymousreply 159November 26, 2021 3:47 AM

Wow, this show lost all its buzz. HBO isn't even bothering to promote it and they're dumping 3 episodes instead of the weekly schedule all of their other shows are on.

by Anonymousreply 160November 27, 2021 2:48 PM

This show made zero impact.

by Anonymousreply 161November 28, 2021 10:30 AM

The writing on Gossip Girl is TERRIBLE and the acting is worse than that. What a BOMB.

by Anonymousreply 162December 12, 2021 11:34 PM

I know I am way late, but I finally finished this. I was an avid watcher of the original and didn’t expect to like this one, but I actually kind of did. I think this is a show that will probably get better as it goes on, and I’m surprised I liked the characters as much as I did.

However, something was missing for me and I realized: they are missing an irritant/villain/love to hate character. Someone along the lines of Jenny, Vanessa, Georgina etc. To me Gossip Girl was best when they had someone to takedown or someone was fucking the group up from the inside. If you think about it, Blair and Serena very rarely truly got along but they always came together at the end. All of these characters seem to really be friends, where’s the jealousy and the backstabbing?

Monet seems like the true successor to Blair, I don’t understand why Julien and Zoya get the top spot. Obie and Aki obviously took a page from Dan and Nate and I don’t mind it, and I think I actually like Max *more* than Chuck, he’s fun (and also has a bit of a Sebastian Stan thing going on) and doesn’t have the darkness.

Also, I know Constance Jude is supposed to be a spin from Spence/Dalton/Trinity but these particular kids seem like they would be attending Saint Ann’s in Brooklyn

by Anonymousreply 163May 7, 2022 7:16 PM

Adam Chanler Beret is gay, right?

by Anonymousreply 164December 23, 2022 11:10 AM

Wish season 2 was gayer than it is. They should have explored Aki and Max's relationship more than they have, even if the conclusion was still a poliamory relationship. Audrey said they were gaga over each other, yet it all happened off-screen.

by Anonymousreply 165December 23, 2022 11:12 AM

[quote]I think this is a show that will probably get better as it goes on

Well, that didn't pan out.

by Anonymousreply 166December 23, 2022 12:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!