Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

HBOmax GOSSIP GIRL

Y'all, I was hoping not to like this, but it's not only good, it is fucking GREAT. Just comparing the first episode of the update to the first episode of the refresh, and I am here to tell you, it is even BETTER. It improved on the original in every way. More expensive, more sexy, way more gay, more everything.

by Anonymousreply 456July 23, 2021 5:42 PM

[quote]way more gay

Gay or LGBTQ?

by Anonymousreply 1July 8, 2021 12:51 PM

OP I am excited! Like everyone else who enjoyed the original, I was resistant. (Even though Thomas Doherty looks very hot on IG and I thought Emily Alyn Lind was superb in Doctor Sleep.) Then I spent a lot of time over the weekend with my friend's daughter. She is entering sophomore year at an upper east side private school. So many of these kids identify as non-binary that I think the reflection of that on the reboot is less of a gimmick and more authentic...at least when it comes to reflecting an elite segment of GenZ.

by Anonymousreply 2July 8, 2021 12:53 PM

It's getting AWFUL reviews. Like 33% on Rotten Tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 3July 8, 2021 2:03 PM

"comparing the first episode of the update to the first episode of the refresh"

Huh?

This PR is not good at their job.

by Anonymousreply 4July 8, 2021 2:48 PM

R4, sorry, I meant "comparing the first episode of the original to the first episode of the refresh." Obviously.

R3, whatever reviews you are reading, DO NOT LISTEN TO THEM,

Listen to this review. It's spot on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5July 8, 2021 4:09 PM

[Quote]Y'all, I was hoping not to like this,

So much so that you rushed to watch it as soon as it was available...? C'mon OP.

by Anonymousreply 6July 8, 2021 5:55 PM

It's ok. The boys are hot, but none of the characters have the "It" factor from the original. So far.

by Anonymousreply 7July 8, 2021 7:35 PM

R7 is probably just pissed that the whole cast isn't white. Because whatever "it" is, the original cast did not have it..

by Anonymousreply 8July 8, 2021 8:29 PM

It's called Chemistry R8. Granted, we've only seen 1 episode and I'll watch more, but there was no one on a Blair or Serena level. The two harpies whispering in the Queen Bee's ear are a complete sack of eh. The bisexual love triangle might be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 9July 8, 2021 8:31 PM

bye shill

by Anonymousreply 10July 8, 2021 8:32 PM

They should've dropped 2 episodes for the premiere

by Anonymousreply 11July 8, 2021 8:32 PM

Bye, R10!

by Anonymousreply 12July 8, 2021 10:03 PM

I agree that there is not "it" factor with any of the leads.

Plus, they are such assholes.

by Anonymousreply 13July 9, 2021 12:45 AM

Andy Cohen is not going to be pleased with the line "________ is as declasse as an Andy Cohen show."

That's going to hurt, as it will underscore that he is passe.

by Anonymousreply 14July 9, 2021 1:13 AM

Thomas Doherty's character is pansexual and supposedly according to Joshua Safran there won't be any slut shaming or cat fights in this show unlike in the original.

by Anonymousreply 15July 9, 2021 2:35 AM

Thomas Doherty looks 40.

by Anonymousreply 16July 9, 2021 2:39 AM

I enjoyed it fine enough. I agree with r9 that I am more interested in what's happening with that bisexual threesome plotline than the main plotline between the two sisters. I guess Chuck was the most interesting character on the OG and this is basically Chuck but gayer.

It is interesting having the teachers as important characters and playing gossip girl, nice switch that rather than a mystery and we get to follow them as they figure out how to do it.

by Anonymousreply 17July 9, 2021 2:42 AM

R15 no catfights? Where's the fun? And wasn't Sarfran in charge when the OG was AWFUL towards the end?

by Anonymousreply 18July 9, 2021 2:43 AM

[Quote]Thomas Doherty looks 40.

Yeah that he is supposed to be 16 is pretty fun r16..

Of course really none of them look like highschoolers. I see the person who plays the blonde teacher who runs gossip girl is actually younger than both bald girl lead and gayer Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 19July 9, 2021 2:49 AM

As usual, I agree with LaFergs. The characters are mostly super thin sketches and the sister plot isn't very interesting yet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20July 9, 2021 2:49 AM

[Quote]The characters are mostly super thin sketches

I don't disagree, but this is a big cast of characters and it's been one episode. I do think HBO should have released 2 or 3 at once to kick it off.

by Anonymousreply 21July 9, 2021 2:51 AM

Exactly R21. The sisters took up a lot of the spotlight of this episode and...I don't care much. And the henchwomen...big ole bag of shrug.

by Anonymousreply 22July 9, 2021 2:55 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23July 9, 2021 2:57 AM

Also the funniest line is they have the Asian guy afraid to try on some flashier clothes because "doesn't want to stand out", when his hair is dyed pink! I don't see how that line survived, I'm sure it made sense early on in the writers room but you have to adapt.

by Anonymousreply 24July 9, 2021 3:03 AM

R18 I think supposedly Joshua doesn't think things like cat fights would be consider appropriate for the current times and the reboot. Joshua and the others running the show in an interview have emphasized about how the reboot is a lot more diverse with queer and poc characters than the original.

by Anonymousreply 25July 9, 2021 3:52 AM

[quote] Joshua and the others running the show in an interview have emphasized about how the reboot is a lot more diverse with queer and poc characters than the original.

What is interesting to see is how modern day entertainment is supposed to work without old-fashioned cat fight drama while still using love triangle tropes. I mean, younger sister is already set up to date her big sister's ex-boyfriend when theyjust broke up in the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 26July 9, 2021 4:01 AM

It was fun. GG is totally different - they make big reveals up front, which adds an interesting twist. I found the scene between Doherty and Monk to have real sexual chemistry changing together. In an opening 3 way with Doherty, a guy, and a girl, the guy is explicitly stroking his bulge. He also has 2 gay men for parents and they are the richest of the bunch. He is the Chuck Bass - Max Wolfe.

The only problem is there isn't that cat fight, villainess tension that Blair and her cronies provided. The trans girl looks good, there is no discussion of it. For those who watched Cruel Summer, this feels like it will be a fun summer show although Cruel Summer was more clever. I don't think it will be the phenomenon of the original. It's a little clunky, but I have hope.

by Anonymousreply 27July 9, 2021 4:31 AM

Bored.

by Anonymousreply 28July 9, 2021 4:34 AM

He is the Chuck Bass - Max Wolfe.

[quote] r27, I'm afraid you're mistaken. Eli Brown's Obie is supposed to be the "Chuck Bass" of the group. In the stairs scene, he's introduced as the richest of them all. His apartment follows the Chuck Bass' apartment layout. However they soften him up quite a bit by rebelling against his family and fighting for the little guy and gave Thomas Doherty's Max the more predatory and hedonistic character traits of Chuck Bass.

by Anonymousreply 29July 9, 2021 4:42 AM

No - Obi is Dan Humphry only the twist is that he is rich. He even lives in Brookyn and they have a shot of him and the Z outside Dan's old building in the rain. Instead of the Humphry loft, Obi's family lives in the entire building.

by Anonymousreply 30July 9, 2021 4:46 AM

Which one is trans?

by Anonymousreply 31July 9, 2021 4:49 AM

Luna - the tall hispanic girl. She is one of the mean girls/minions.

by Anonymousreply 32July 9, 2021 4:52 AM

I’m so glad that Hollywood is finally acknowledging the 0.3% of the population that are Trans and 12% that are black!!! The diversity feels so authentic and not forced!!! Sqeeeeeeee!!!!

by Anonymousreply 33July 9, 2021 4:54 AM

This show is so fucking tiresome. It is not fun at all.

by Anonymousreply 34July 9, 2021 4:57 AM

I know I'm getting old - I enjoyed the teachers! They provide a campy relief. Jordan, the bald headed Serena, is 27.

by Anonymousreply 35July 9, 2021 4:59 AM

The Net-A-Porter plug was a full commercial

by Anonymousreply 36July 9, 2021 5:01 AM

This generation are all soulless monsters who just spend all their time stating their boundaries, correcting others and saying how politically correct & empathetic they are, without any self awareness.

by Anonymousreply 37July 9, 2021 5:07 AM

[quote] No - Obi is Dan Humphry only the twist is that he is rich.

So, you confirm that Max isn't the richest of the group?

[quote] He also has 2 gay men for parents and [bold] they are the richest of the bunch[/bold]. He is the Chuck Bass - Max Wolfe.

I agree in terms of character traits that Max is closer to Chuck Bass than Obie.

by Anonymousreply 38July 9, 2021 5:08 AM

A black girl walking in the rain and getting her hair wet… talk about suspension of disbelief.

by Anonymousreply 39July 9, 2021 5:13 AM

The tranny’s brows are ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 40July 9, 2021 5:21 AM

Are the Wokes going to try to force us to let straight girls into our hookups now? This MMF Bi push is not appealing.

by Anonymousreply 41July 9, 2021 5:26 AM

[quote] So, you confirm that Max isn't the richest of the group?

No - Obie isn't the richest of the group just because he lives in a building. Max is the richest, they say it in the dialogue. Everyone is obscenely wealthy, more extravagant than the original.

by Anonymousreply 42July 9, 2021 5:29 AM

[quote] No - Obie isn't the richest of the group just because he lives in a building. Max is the richest, they say it in the dialogue.

Max himself says that Obie is the richest.

Julien: You ever heard of the guilty rich? *looking at Obie* This one's the guiltiest.

Max: And the richest.

by Anonymousreply 43July 9, 2021 5:37 AM

Take it to Stormfront, R33. No one gives a shit what you and your neighbors in Oklahoma think about increased representation in the media. Productive members of society, the ones who pay for your social security disability checks, obviously have no problem with it. We aren't going back.

by Anonymousreply 44July 9, 2021 5:52 AM

I was thinking while I was watching this how much more I enjoy programming like this when a Democrat is in the White House and I am not necessarily worrying about whether our country is going to survive. This show would not have worked during the Trump years for the same reason the original would not have worked.

by Anonymousreply 45July 9, 2021 5:56 AM

R44 no one cares what your food stamp collecting ass thinks either, as you type on your iPhone 5 from a rat-infested one bedroom Section 8 in the Bronx.

by Anonymousreply 46July 9, 2021 6:12 AM

Imdb doesn't agree with you, OP: 6.1/10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47July 9, 2021 6:16 AM

.....while the original has 7.4/10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48July 9, 2021 6:17 AM

There's more to life than IMDb, sweetie. And I think most fans would agree that waterboarding is more enjoyable than watching the last few seasons of the original. Talk about going out with a whimper...

Who will be the first to show up? I say Kelly Rutherford. She needs a check. Hopefully Vanessa is namechecked as dead.

by Anonymousreply 49July 9, 2021 8:35 AM

[Quote] Plus, they are such assholes.

So were Blair, Chuck and Serena.

by Anonymousreply 50July 9, 2021 1:18 PM

Yes, but Blair, Chuck, and Serena were written to be more than just assholes. These people are just assholes.

by Anonymousreply 51July 9, 2021 2:56 PM

Mary, it's been one episode r51.

Go watch the Gossip Girl pilot again, Chuck was a big shithead.

by Anonymousreply 52July 9, 2021 3:05 PM

The original GG pilot was Shakespeare compared this garbage.

by Anonymousreply 53July 9, 2021 3:25 PM

New York Times: thumbs up!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54July 9, 2021 3:29 PM

Variety: More please!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55July 9, 2021 3:31 PM

Glamour: Oh my God, yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 9, 2021 3:34 PM

The reviews are mostly based on 4 episodes given to critics

by Anonymousreply 57July 9, 2021 3:50 PM

This show is terrible!

by Anonymousreply 58July 9, 2021 3:53 PM

I liked it, but I have a boring life anyway.

by Anonymousreply 59July 9, 2021 3:57 PM

Baldy is no Blair Waldorf, but it's got 9 more episodes to find its footing

by Anonymousreply 60July 9, 2021 4:01 PM

I believe this season is 12 episodes r60.

by Anonymousreply 61July 9, 2021 4:18 PM

I went to a school with a uniform.

You weren't allowed to deviate from it in any way.

So why does baldy get to show up in a man's shirt, looking as if she just got out of bed, no school shirt or tie, and expensive boots?

by Anonymousreply 62July 9, 2021 4:22 PM

Uh, R62, because the rich kids and their parents rule the school. I thought that was made perfectly clear. Baldy can’t have some school dress code mess with her “brand”.

by Anonymousreply 63July 9, 2021 4:24 PM

That's addressed in the dialog though r62. The entire concept is they are able to get away with everything because they come from rich and powerful families that the school wants to keep happy.

by Anonymousreply 64July 9, 2021 4:25 PM

You gays watch terrible shows!

by Anonymousreply 65July 9, 2021 4:41 PM

R63 & R64 I get that, but anyone who has been to an elite school knows that's not how it would ever happen.

It's silly.

by Anonymousreply 66July 9, 2021 4:41 PM

r62 this is a theme in every show that features prep schools since the original Gossip Girl aired. Blair and her friends all changed the look and rules of the uniform code every single episode. Serena always had her blouse unbuttoned and tie undone as if she had just been fucked in the alley before class.

Now shows like Elite and GG 2.0 are doing the same. This season of Netflix' ELITE had the head master's daughter walking around with a black leather choker under her uniform. Uniforms started consistent in S1 due to them making a muslim girl on ELITE remove her head scarf, then the uniform code changed to wear whatever you damn well please as long as it's within the school's color palette and no head coverings, lol. Everyone is hot so who cares.

I'll have to check out the new GG to see if the people are at least hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67July 9, 2021 5:01 PM

Some of the girls are hot, if you care. The main guys are..okay. The gay/bi/pan whatever dude looks 40. The socially conscious rich one is sort of cute. The pink haired guy has a beautiful face, okay body. He reminds me of that guy from Araki films and Independence Day…James Duvall?

by Anonymousreply 68July 9, 2021 5:08 PM

[quote] I get that, but anyone who has been to an elite school knows that's not how it would ever happen.

Call me crazy, but I don't think the show is specifically made for elite school students who want to watch a documentary about their lives.

by Anonymousreply 69July 9, 2021 5:11 PM

I mean r66 is no doubt right but it's a TV show man! No one wants uber-realism in entertainment, that's boring.

by Anonymousreply 70July 9, 2021 5:19 PM

The pink haired guy who is very obviously ASIAN? R68

by Anonymousreply 71July 9, 2021 6:57 PM

Obi has Chuck-like money but Max has some of Chuck’s personality traits, but the pan sexual version.

by Anonymousreply 72July 9, 2021 7:05 PM

Though now we have the wild bisexual sex addict being raised by two gay men, which maybe isn't necessarily the best implication.

by Anonymousreply 73July 9, 2021 7:27 PM

I do like the GG reveal is figured out in the beginning and that the show is more aware. They listened to some of the things that people complained about from the original. As a young Millennial, I love seeing my generation fighting back against Gen-Z on this show. Team teachers!!

by Anonymousreply 74July 9, 2021 8:41 PM

The if we get the floors wet crap was stupid. People that rich have staff on hand that can clean up the floors before his mother wakes in the morning, or he could have wiped it with a towel.

by Anonymousreply 75July 9, 2021 8:46 PM

Yeah I laughed at that line r75. It was a very weak justification for getting the characters naked together.

I mean it only makes sense if the he was trying to get her naked in front of him, but I think we are supposed to believe he is a "good guy".

by Anonymousreply 76July 9, 2021 8:51 PM

Ummm not everyone, even the rich, have live-in staff, especially in NYC where space, even for the rich, is limited.

by Anonymousreply 77July 9, 2021 9:15 PM

The fashion show sequence is what really drew me in. I thought that was fucking hype.

by Anonymousreply 78July 9, 2021 9:16 PM

Why do teen shows where the characters are rich always have them going to clubs etc and drinking? And always in NYC? Do bars and clubs on the UES not card?

by Anonymousreply 79July 9, 2021 9:18 PM

This isn't normal rich r77, we are talking about someone who is obviously meant to be a multi-billionaire. The wealthiest one in a sea of rich people.

by Anonymousreply 80July 9, 2021 9:22 PM

R80 billionaire? No. I don’t think any of them are meant to be billionaires.

If I have $100 million and you have $90 million, that makes me the richer one. Just because his family is the wealthiest doesn’t mean they’re up in the billions.

A boy raised like that wouldn’t know how to use a napkin to clean lol. However, he’s far more humble and wanting to be a good person than his peers.

by Anonymousreply 81July 9, 2021 9:29 PM

Chuck Bass was the richest character on the original series and he was a billionaire r81. I doubt this series is any different, I would assume he is a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 82July 9, 2021 9:31 PM

He isn’t Chuck Bass though r82

Maybe you should see this is a reboot where Chuck Bass still exists and these are new characters.

by Anonymousreply 83July 9, 2021 9:32 PM

Max is a whore.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84July 9, 2021 9:33 PM

I find Aki's face beautiful

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85July 9, 2021 9:33 PM

Loved the fashion show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86July 9, 2021 9:37 PM

So they were supposed to have sent Max's dick pic out at the fashion show? Where was this made clear? Because I only even got that from reading recaps online.

by Anonymousreply 87July 9, 2021 10:16 PM

Aki is Hawaiian, or at least the actor is. The two henchwomen bore me.

by Anonymousreply 88July 9, 2021 10:52 PM

Who's Who

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89July 9, 2021 10:53 PM

We didn't ask for this reboot!

by Anonymousreply 90July 9, 2021 10:55 PM

R54 Regarding the NY Times, there is neither one thumb nor two being offered, as you suggest. There is quite a difference between pre-airdate PR puff piece publicity and a review. The Times (and most major and minor outlets) always publish a quasi-journalistic promotional piece prior to an airdate...then a week or so later they let the hammer drop with a legitimate review. The former is how they keep advertisers happy.

As far as the reboot, Vox said it well:

“That’s a problem the original Gossip Girl ran into over and over again, too. Except in that case, the show had a secret weapon: Leighton Meester. Meester was cast as Blair, original Gossip Girl’s ice queen, but she developed into the beating heart of the show, memorably described by another character as a “95-pound, doe-eyed, bon-mot-tossing, designer-label-whoring package of girly evil.” The exhaustive Gossip Girl recappers at Daily Intel used to joke that Blair had access to another, better writers’ room than the rest of the characters did, but what they meant was that Meester was capable of making even bad jokes sound clever. She could make you cry or make you cringe in delicious sympathy with whichever of Blair’s minions she was cutting down to size for buying her shoes at a discount, and it’s thanks to Meester’s efforts that the show ever worked as well as it managed to. So really, did anyone ever want more Gossip Girl? Or did they just want more of Leighton Meester saying bitchy things in a variety of fetching headbands?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 9, 2021 10:55 PM

Blondie was little Amanda on Revenge (another show that started great and went to shit) and the mind control teen in Doctor Sleep. She's the daughter of the drunk mom from One Tree Hill. Basically, she was born for this show.

by Anonymousreply 92July 9, 2021 10:59 PM

If anyone wants to discuss the original

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93July 9, 2021 11:00 PM

That Vox article nailed it. I saw an interview with Josh Safran where he talked about how the new show was funnier than the original. Which, based on the first episode, is weird because I didn’t laugh once. I actually found the original fairly humorous and it’s definitely due to Leighton Meester being a gifted comedic actress. None of the actors in the reboot seem particularly good at comedy and the one playing Monet has one of the worst cases of resting bitch face I’ve ever seen. I can’t imagine any of them making a joke land.

by Anonymousreply 94July 9, 2021 11:10 PM

It's been said before, but they really should've released more than one episode to kick it off. Looking forward to Max seducing a teacher in the showers, whenever that happens

by Anonymousreply 95July 9, 2021 11:17 PM

Oh who cares R91. I guarantee this show will be a hit. If you don’t like it, don’t watch.

by Anonymousreply 96July 9, 2021 11:20 PM

R92 She was also positively terrifying in a supporting role in Dr. Sleep. She played an evil 15 year old who glamours/hypnotizes pervy men, steals their money, then carves an X in their cheeks with a switchblade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97July 9, 2021 11:23 PM

I absolutely loved the premiere. I expected to hate it, but found it great and chic.

I actually find the original show overrated past season 2 or 3. It became ridiculous, and I like that this new one seems more self-aware and almost acknowledges how ridiculous certain storylines were on the original show (like Blaire becoming Princess of Monaco for 6 months or a senior in HS writing a piece for the NYTimes).

by Anonymousreply 98July 9, 2021 11:30 PM

Forced Diversity

by Anonymousreply 99July 9, 2021 11:37 PM

Diversity is a beautiful thing 😊

by Anonymousreply 100July 9, 2021 11:39 PM

Inauthentic Diversity

by Anonymousreply 101July 9, 2021 11:43 PM

Beautiful diversity

by Anonymousreply 102July 9, 2021 11:44 PM

12% Population! 100% Representation NOW!!!

by Anonymousreply 103July 9, 2021 11:44 PM

Some psychotic Yasss Kween is living on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 104July 9, 2021 11:45 PM

The bald chick has a pretty face.

by Anonymousreply 105July 10, 2021 12:07 AM

LOVED episode 1.

by Anonymousreply 106July 10, 2021 12:08 AM

The actor playing Aki U believe is half White and half Filipino.

by Anonymousreply 107July 10, 2021 12:15 AM

R107 yes. He’s gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 108July 10, 2021 12:26 AM

R96 Sure, Jan. It will definitely be a hit. You're right.

by Anonymousreply 109July 10, 2021 12:29 AM

I don't get the shilling on this thread.

Legit critics, with a couple interesting exceptions, are panning this show in ways that I've never seen before. I've never read a review as bad as the USA Today one. And the critic doubled down on Twitter that she knew she was coming across as harsh and was like, Yup, it sucked

So I watched the show. She's right. It's trash about trash by trash and not in a good or fun way and whatever the writer says, HBOMAX isn't streaming the show he thinks he wrote and shot.

There's still hope though the avg critic score on Rotten Tomatoes is now up to a 38%. That's almost 40! lollll

Actually, the funniest part is that the USA Today review is way better written than the show she's panning...

by Anonymousreply 110July 10, 2021 12:29 AM

The USA Today review stands alone...

(Part 1)

Review: HBO Max's 'Gossip Girl' reboot is a stunning failure through an Instagram filter. XOXO.

Updated 12:18 pm EDT Jul. 8, 2021

"Gossip Girl" should have stayed dead.

From 2007-12, CW's drama starring Blake Lively, Leighton Meester and Penn Badgley detailed the lifestyles of the rich and famous among Manhattan's upper echelon of teens. It was decadent, sexy, ridiculous and juicy, the kind of series that helped build CW's reputation as a youth network and turned Lively into a star.

It is also the kind of series that is nearly impossible to replicate successfully.

But that's not stopping HBO Max from its latest remake out of the Warner Bros. library, with a new crop of privileged students at an elite New York high school (streaming Thursdays, ★ out of four). Based on the books by Cecily von Ziegesar and the CW series from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, the new version, from original writer Joshua Safran, captures none of its predecessor's essence. Unlike similar sequels such as CW's "90210" or Peacock's "Saved by the Bell," none of the original cast members are involved in the new series, although it never misses a chance to name-drop former characters.

While CW's "Gossip" wasn't always well written, it was unfailingly entertaining; HBO Max's version rarely falls into that second category. It's a cringe-worthy slog, full of unappealing acting, atrocious writing and plot twists that verge on the sociopathic.

On paper, a Generation Z reboot of the millennial classic seems like a very good idea. After all, "Gossip" was a prescient story about the dangers and complications of living our lives online, something that has only become more true in nearly a decade since the CW series went off the air. But not even the return of Kristen Bell's lilting narration as Gossip Girl can save the bad dialogue she's forced to spew.

The series focuses on Julien Calloway (Jordan Alexander) the Queen Bee of not just the school but of New York itself and her wealthy friends. Julien is the daughter of a famous musician and an Instagram influencer. Her social circle includes Luna (Zión Moreno) and Monet (Savannah Smith), Julien's unofficial publicist and agent; Obie (Eli Brown), her well-intentioned boyfriend; Aki (Evan Mock) and Audrey (Emily Alyn Lynd), an insecure couple; and Max (Thomas Doherty) the smarmy stand-in for Chuck Bass (Ed Westwick) of the original series.

by Anonymousreply 111July 10, 2021 12:31 AM

(Part 2)

Everything is peachy keen in the lives of the teens until Zoya (Whitney Peak) enrolls at school. Zoya is Julien's estranged half-sister; their mother left Julien's father for Zoya's and then died while giving birth to Zoya. Unbeknownst to their friends or families, Zoya and Julien connected on social media and conspired to go to the same school. What should be a sweet reunion sparks unending drama. And it's all documented, and at times orchestrated, by the seemingly omniscient "Gossip Girl," now an Instagram user copying the antics of the onetime blogger, this time sharing snaps of the teens in compromising situations.

What makes this "Gossip" stand out from the original – other than stealing a bit of the "One Tree Hill" plot when it comes to half-siblings – is its inclusion of the teachers as major characters, particularly Kate Keller (Tavi Gevinson, an influencer turned actress), who are inappropriately entangled in the lives of their students. HBO Max has asked critics to refrain from spoiling too much of this plot, but it is the most bafflingly terrible part of the series.

The biggest sin of this "Gossip" is that the writers seem to understand little of their subjects. The characters don't act or sound like teenagers ("don't straight-shame me" is among the most asinine lines). The use of social media doesn't feel particularly hip, and even the adult characters are stiff and nonsensical rather than fully formed humans. Except for the sex-crazed Max, played by Doherty with a bit of charm and allure, none of the characters have romantic or platonic chemistry. They are akin to the fake robot influencers created by crafty coders – automatons that say what their puppet masters think are all the right things but are very wrong indeed.

There is something so pathologically deranged about the reboot that it inevitably will win some fans. They'll come for its flaws, for the messy narrative, humorously bad acting and absurd plot twists. But this is not the kind of show that deserves acclaim for its inanity. It should not be rewarded for a plot in which adults' behavior verges on child abuse, for acting that's so terrible that community theaters would be appalled, nor for being one more mismanaged attempt to portray Generation Z as entitled, overly woke brats who get what's coming to them.

We are living in the age of reboots and remakes, as the ever-increasing number of streaming services compete for subscribers nostalgic for stories they've seen before. So maybe the return of "Gossip" was inevitable. But if there was a better way to update this story for 2021 as insightful, fun and steamy, and maybe even besting the original, this certainly isn't it.

This is the laziest kind of reboot, one that hopes you'll be too distracted by a familiar title to realize the actual end product is terrible. But it's an abject failure, no matter how many times Gossip Girl says "XOXO."

by Anonymousreply 112July 10, 2021 12:31 AM

It was fucking horrible. I don't know anybody who liked it. The best word to describe it is soulless.

by Anonymousreply 113July 10, 2021 12:32 AM

It was terrific. I feel people who are criticizing it so harshly are just not willing to accept it because they liked the original. Many people have even admitted that.

Or they’re upset non white straight people are there too. Some people are criticizing how gay it is. Others that it’s so diverse etc.

I love it.

by Anonymousreply 114July 10, 2021 12:34 AM

GG can be a fun fantasy, but it is far detached from the UES prep school kid experience. What these kids are, before anything else, is driven. They have hours of homework a night, plus tutors and extracurriculars. They “compete” much more through their accomplishments than their social schemes, and actually the richest ones are the ones who are the most committed, since they have names and reputations to uphold.

by Anonymousreply 115July 10, 2021 12:40 AM

The richest aren’t always the best, we just won’t ever know that because mom and dad pay off the school.

by Anonymousreply 116July 10, 2021 12:58 AM

R114. No, it's just that it's bad bad television and the writer has ratfucked multiple shows now and they also go off the rails and crash and burn. he's in an article comparing this to Billions (what) and Succession. Is that a joke? Didn't like the original GGthat much, it turned into a joke after the Times called it the Best show in the world or whatever and they were not being serious and the show you could tell thought they were kinda serious

I totally want lots more representation on screen, but not mindless plot robots who hug it out at the end of each week's party , who just happen to be brown but not too dark and deal with their racial experience ever?

I definitely want more gay more bi more everything, naked naked naked. Does that have to happen mostly via a bi identified sex addict and with gay dads? Great another bi/gay psycho.

by Anonymousreply 117July 10, 2021 1:02 AM

Evan's parents R107 and R108.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 10, 2021 1:29 AM

I worked on the show and I can tell you it was a very relaxed, happy set and they are not all like that. It was one of the most pleasant working experiences I’ve ever had.

by Anonymousreply 119July 10, 2021 1:38 AM

They're all twinks. Not a single hunky guy or sexy dad/teacher. The original had a variety of hotties. Also in the new show, the implied threesome/throuple would have made a bigger impact if the 'straight' guy was more straight seeming, not a twink with pink hair.

by Anonymousreply 120July 10, 2021 1:39 AM

r114 Terrific? Thats a stretch. It was lacking charisma, fun or even a spark. I would describe it as tepid.

by Anonymousreply 121July 10, 2021 1:41 AM

Thomas Doherty

[Quote]“That was definitely interesting…Obviously my character, Max, is pansexual and for me it’s always amazing when you play a part to see what you can kind of draw from that and what you can compare it with in your own life, your own beliefs,” Thomas told Variety.

[Quote]He continued, “And it definitely did make me question how I was brought up and have been conditioned to think in terms of gender and gender identity and sexual preferences stuff. That kind of threw that all up in the air and it was kind of very liberating. It’s been an amazing experience for me, definitely.”

by Anonymousreply 122July 10, 2021 2:09 AM

Loved it.

The original set was not a happy place. It’s documented how by season 5 Leighton and Blake weren’t even on speaking terms and requested they have almost no scenes together.

The guys were pervs and many extras have spoken about how awful the cast were to them on that set, minus Leighton it seems.

Supposedly Blake was a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 123July 10, 2021 2:14 AM

It was fine. The problem is that everything has to be so careful. I did find the show dark and heavy, but it does take place in a post covid world and life is not what is was in 2007. It was widely panned by all the major critics, but that might be a good thing. They are doing 6 episodes this summer and the next 6 in the fall. They might realize that viewers want them to be trashier and bitchier, so hopefully they will up that in the fall. Blair and Chuck were iconic. I'm willing to give this cast a chance. None of the characters have have chemistry with the exception of Monk, Doherty, and Audrey. I wish Obi was dating Audrey and he was having the fling with Max. Jordan needs to let her cunt flag fly. Blair would eat for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 124July 10, 2021 2:28 AM

R114 Sure, Jan. It's about all the cisgender racists who surely miss the madcap camp of the original Gossip Girl so terribly much (I hear the Proud Boys lowered their flag in a day of mourning)...it couldn't possibly be the lazy writing, self conscious performances, and canned, miss-the-mark glamour.

by Anonymousreply 125July 10, 2021 2:50 AM

"Y'all" OP: who the fuck watches something "hoping not to like it?" So fake.

by Anonymousreply 126July 10, 2021 2:52 AM

My god there is some strange anger on this thread. I thought it was a fun watch - why are some of you acting like this is a remake of Citizen Kane? It’s an escapist melodrama reboot about rich NYC high schoolers. Who the hell is watching it for the beautiful writing and profound social commentary? It’s essentially a soap opera.

And if some of us liked it, who are you furious bitches to say otherwise? Calm the fuck down! What did Josh Safran do to you??

(Side note - is Josh Safran the ex-bf of Anthony Rapp who used to frequent the RENT aol chat rooms in the 90s? Because if so - that guy was a hot mess)

by Anonymousreply 127July 10, 2021 4:30 AM

[quote] "Y'all" OP: who the fuck watches something "hoping not to like it?" So fake.

I do. I’m a fan of the original (at least the first three seasons) and I thought it was mistake to reboot this show. But I also wasn’t going to miss it because … as I said, I’m a fan of OG Gossip Girl.

And it is as I said: I was very very surprised by how the reboot takes the self-awareness of the original series and turns it on its head, mainly by operation of the casting of black people, brown people, and trans people in the lead roles.

It was also much better written than I ever recall the original show being.

I genuinely loved the whole thing from start to finish. I guess that does make me a shill because I want people watch.

And it looks like I succeeded.

You know you love me. xoxo

by Anonymousreply 128July 10, 2021 4:58 AM

I kinda liked, the girls are pretty but seems like they got chin implants in the same surgeon. The pansexual dude is cringy.

by Anonymousreply 129July 10, 2021 5:01 AM

And there are indeed some VERY angry people on this thread. It makes no sense that this reboot would provoke such profound rage in anyone.

Critical of the show? Fine. Apoplectic with rage about anyone who enjoyed the show? Unhinged.

Unless, of course, you are offended by some of the changes that the reboot made. Like the casting. Now, THAT would explain the rage.

Well, rage on, Klan Grannies.

by Anonymousreply 130July 10, 2021 5:02 AM

Why don't we talk about (new) Dynasty in instead? Long-lost, secretive daughter Amanda is about to arrive on the show!

by Anonymousreply 131July 10, 2021 5:12 AM

^^instead

by Anonymousreply 132July 10, 2021 5:13 AM

I blocked R125 and the removal of his 11 posts instantly restores balance and sanity to this thread.

R131, I could not get into the Dynasty reboot.

by Anonymousreply 133July 10, 2021 5:14 AM

Did anyone notice that the gay dads' house was a little busy in the decor? Are they are in a UES townhouse similar to what Nate lived in.

by Anonymousreply 134July 10, 2021 5:14 AM

It’s like all the other overrated junk out there with an ethnic cast that were supposed to bow down to and never criticize or we’re labeled “racists”. The show is fucking horrible. The writing is shit and the acting is shit. The worst is that little scenery-chewing blonde bitch teacher.

by Anonymousreply 135July 10, 2021 5:22 AM

R135, when your only criticism of the show is the fact that it has an “ethnic” cast, then yes, you have outed yourself as a racist.

In this case, you are the author of your own discontent.

Fret not, I’m sure your Oxy dealer will call you back SOMETIME this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 136July 10, 2021 5:28 AM

R136 choke on your father’s cock, I’m sure it wouldn’t be the first time.

by Anonymousreply 137July 10, 2021 5:38 AM

Withering, R137.

Absolutely devastating retort.

by Anonymousreply 138July 10, 2021 5:42 AM

I'm just baffled by OP saying the pilot was better than anything in the original series. When it was good in the early years, it was GOOD. This pilot was...fine. It has potential, but they should've dropped 2 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 139July 10, 2021 5:44 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140July 10, 2021 5:45 AM

Whoever said "soulless" pretty much sums it up. Also, the lack of sexual chemistry makes the show uncomfortable to watch. The love interest of the two sisters does not seem to be attracted to either one of them. Finally, none of the characters is remotely sympathetic. They are all so confident and full of attitude they sort of blur together as a single tiresome character. Your sister buys you a place at an elite school and your reaction is outrage? Because you had it so good in Buffalo? I cannot relate to these troubles.

by Anonymousreply 141July 10, 2021 5:45 AM

We need a cunt! I'm hoping that blond will emerge. The trans character is actually pretty funny. She delivers her lines deadpan. The black mean girl is absolutely terrible.

by Anonymousreply 142July 10, 2021 5:48 AM

R139, I said the pilot of the reboot was better than the pilot of the original.

And yes, it was better written and more clever than anything written for the original, in my opinion.

I thought the way they resurrected Gossip Girl was extremely clever and well done. I squealed when the teachers clicked to post and immediately, Kristen Bell cranks back to life!

I just really loved it.

by Anonymousreply 143July 10, 2021 5:56 AM

[quote] The black mean girl is absolutely terrible.

Her outfit at the fashion was a definite misfire for me although I know boxy shoulder pads are in right now.

by Anonymousreply 144July 10, 2021 5:57 AM

She's gorgeous, she's just a terrible actress.

by Anonymousreply 145July 10, 2021 5:59 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146July 10, 2021 6:04 AM

This season on Gossip Girl...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147July 10, 2021 6:07 AM

The better give Baldy's henchwomen personalities STAT

by Anonymousreply 148July 10, 2021 6:13 AM

Baldi needs to take her sister down. She needs a better enemy. Serena and Blair could go there b/c they were friends.

by Anonymousreply 149July 10, 2021 6:25 AM

I liked it a lot more than I expected to like it. Based on the trailer I dogged it the hell out. But, my rule with TV, outside of limited series, which this is not, is that you can’t accurately judge a show based on a pilot. Pilots can be the only episode shot before the studio execs and writing team get a handle on the story.

Also, I have never given a flying fuck about a critic’s opinion on a show or movie. Same for my friends and family. Their taste isn’t my taste. Everyone is free to bring up the reviews, but for me I don’t really care what some stranger thinks. I like to view a show on my owns and go as far as my interest lies. If I’m not liking it I’ll tell my friends and vice versa. They can do with that info what they please. I’ll be damn if I let a complete stranger dictate what I decide to view or skip.

by Anonymousreply 150July 10, 2021 6:59 AM

r141 yeah the sister's love interest, he played a gay character on the PLL spin off, and just seems like a better fit for him. Not believeable as a straight guy that they all want to hook up with.

"They are all so confident and full of attitude they sort of blur together as a single tiresome character. "

I think that's it in a nutshell. Most of the clique are too one-note, nothing to make them different and stand out. And none of them have the charisma to make them pop either so it just comes off as soulless. No nuance or charm or relatability.

by Anonymousreply 151July 10, 2021 7:26 AM

[quote]The better give Baldy's henchwomen personalities STAT

The main problem is none of the characters have any personality. Beyond that, there is zero sexual chemistry with any of the leads. These kind of shows make or break on having at least one major fan favorite couple. I don't see that happening here. And there's no platonic chemistry with the kids either. It's just a soulless, one note mess with nobody to root for.

by Anonymousreply 152July 10, 2021 12:26 PM

I don’t know, it seems terribly bland to me considering it has none of the restrictions of network TV. It should be a lot more “dangerous” like Euphoria, and it just seems dull. The dialogue is not sharp at all. It took me the entire episode to figure out what the (lame) central conceit was supposed to be. None of the actors have any charisma and all look to be well into their thirties. The styling is WAY OFF. They need to fire their entire wardrobe department STAT. No teenager dresses like a forty five year old lady. No kid today would be caught dead on Instagram, lol. That’s for old people. They’re on TikTok, Snap, and Signal.

The three things this show needs immediately are better clothes, better writers and much more appealing actors.

GOOD LUCK!

by Anonymousreply 153July 10, 2021 12:55 PM

You all keep speaking as if we just watched the season finale and nothing happened. You saw ONE EPISODE. ONE. Of course there isn’t deep character development yet etc. you have to let the show play out before you make that criticism. I have yet to see the wannabe critics on here say “it is just the pilot, I hope as the season progresses we see…” whatever.

Instead you’re speaking of one episode as if it’s an entire season.

Also, stop comparing it to a show we saw 6 seasons of. Rewatch the originals pilot and this ones pilot. This was the better one. And there was no deep character development in episode 1 of the original.

Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 154July 10, 2021 1:19 PM

R153 ummmmm you don’t know rich kids? It shows.

Kids are on Instagram lmao. They just don’t use it how they do others. But they use it.

by Anonymousreply 155July 10, 2021 1:21 PM

R154 - yeah, I did watch the original pilot. And it was leagues better than this trash. Sorry. Get better taste.

by Anonymousreply 156July 10, 2021 1:23 PM

Nice try R155. You’re terribly invested in this show aren’t you?

I know the UES better than you could ever hope to.

by Anonymousreply 157July 10, 2021 1:28 PM

[Quote]Grow the fuck up

Oh dear. This is rich r154 after your immature temper tantrum that some people dare to have a different opinion than you.

by Anonymousreply 158July 10, 2021 1:29 PM

R157 sure you do. Aren’t you a native West Virginian? Lmao

by Anonymousreply 159July 10, 2021 1:34 PM

Sounds boring! No cat fights? No bitchy white cunts?

by Anonymousreply 160July 10, 2021 1:43 PM

Why does a bitchy cunt need to be white for it to be enjoyable?

by Anonymousreply 161July 10, 2021 1:53 PM

R161 because it’s more believable especially on a show about rich kids on the UES.

by Anonymousreply 162July 10, 2021 1:59 PM

There are some black/interracial families on the UES these days r162

by Anonymousreply 163July 10, 2021 2:03 PM

It’s totally unbelievable that Fred Flintstone has only four fingers and makes his car go with his feet, too!!

by Anonymousreply 164July 10, 2021 2:09 PM

[quote] Sorry. Get better taste.

The reboot literally has the same producers and the same writers as the original series. That’s how we know what the REAL issue here.

by Anonymousreply 165July 10, 2021 2:27 PM

153 I loved season 1 Euphoria. Pilot was a little shaky, as they are prone to be, but they really nailed a lot of things, including ennui. I expect nothing good from Season 2.

by Anonymousreply 166July 10, 2021 2:35 PM

So I’ve watched Euphoria, Grand Army, and Generation recently. All high school shows with diverse casts that I really enjoyed and where the diversity felt organic. Unfortunately, it does feel kind of forced here. I think part of the issue is that we’ve learned so much over the last few years about how hard it is for people of color, how differently they’re treated, how many structural and social impediments they face, etc. So for this show to have all of the leads be POC and queer kids who are privileged and snobby and rule the school feels like a disconnect from reality. Sure, people like that exist in real life, but to this extent? UES schools are constantly being criticized as super elitist and super insular. In the original show Dan and Jenny were outsiders because they lived in Brooklyn! Now the leads include a bald black girl, a pink haired Filipino, and a trans girl? And they seemingly exist without a hint of having been bullied or ever having been outsiders? Is that progress? Or—even admitting the show can obviously be seen as fantasy—completely ignoring the reality of how tough the world can be for kids like this no matter how much money they have? And is ignoring versus acknowledging that reality really progress? I honestly don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 167July 10, 2021 2:37 PM

OMG. Baldie is half white and lives with her widower rich white dad. Her half sister isn’t and lives elsewhere but won a scholarship to that school, which happens. Kerry Washington went to Spence on a scholarship she won. The other black chick we know nothing about.

Everyone else is white and an Asian.

3 black people isn’t that far fetched.

by Anonymousreply 168July 10, 2021 2:41 PM

[quote] Sure, people like that exist in real life, but to this extent? UES schools are constantly being criticized as super elitist and super insular.

Some shows rely on hyperbole drama. I think some viewers and critics don't get that a show taking place in a real city like New York is still a fictional drama series closer to fantasy than real life. It's like they need a really obvious supernatural element (like blood sucking unicorns and sparkling werewolf hybrids) to go "Oh, I can relax now, it's just a fantasy show! Not real! But wait! Blood sucking unicorns? Who came up with that? Unicorns don't suck blood!".

by Anonymousreply 169July 10, 2021 2:51 PM

Well, then what is the point of setting it in NYC or the UES? Might as well move it to California if there is supposed to be no ties at all the setting its placed in.

by Anonymousreply 170July 10, 2021 3:05 PM

I thought the Blacks & the tranny on the show were superb.

by Anonymousreply 171July 10, 2021 3:19 PM

I thought the trans girl was good. Baldie was decent, but the massive real life age difference between her (27) and her sister (18) really showed itself in the close up shots, especially in the ending when the battle lines are drawn. Girl, drink some water and put some chapstick on. You look your age. The boys are really bland with the exception of Max. Obi has zero chemistry with either of the sisters.

I agree, let's give it a chance. They were filming in the winter during the middle of the Holiday season Covid wave, so things might be a little off.

Though this friend group is supposed to be the "Samari 7", so far it seems like the POC/Trans are in involved in one drama/friend group and the white girl and the boys are involved in a totally different one. Also, this is the UES at an elite private school. Where is the Jewish representation in either series?. Jewish girls would definitely be part of this clique. Maybe St. Judes is Catholic or definitely Christian, so that might explain that. Would there really be only one hot blond girl amongst all POC girls? I don't think so, but I can go with it.

I'm neutral and I want the show to work. With that said, the pilot of the original was much better This has the HBO sheen and looks more expensive, but you can't discount the acting. Aside from the drama, they set up a ton a unknowns in the pilot that take a seasons to work out. Why did Serena leave suddenly and why did she come back? Will she try to take the Queen Been status away from Blair as well as her man? Why is Nate's dad so invested in Blair and Nate's relationship? And who is Gossip Girl?

The pilot of the new version answered all these questions within the first 10 minutes. It might have been better to have not revealed who the little sister was, keep GG a mystery, and then build up to all these reveals. Back in the day though, there were 18+ episodes per season vs. 12.

At the end of the day, who is the show for? It's very gen z so that is the audience. Those of us who watched the original are thrown a bone by making the teachers and even the parents our age now. The teachers acting is horrible, but it's the pilot. Just looking on youtube, the gen z kids seem to like it and if that is the audience, that's what matters. We had our moment with a better, hotter cast.

by Anonymousreply 172July 10, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote] Some shows rely on hyperbole drama.

Well, sure. As they noted in the pilot, Dan Humphrey was published in the New Yorker as a high school student. And Blair was Princess of Monaco for like 6 months. The plots were ridiculous. The difference, though, was that the characters seemed like people who might really exist. None of the characters on this show seem like they would really exist in an actual UES prep school.

by Anonymousreply 173July 10, 2021 4:11 PM

[quote] None of the characters on this show seem like they would really exist in an actual UES prep school.

It is a different world but this is new money vs. generational, American royalty. 2.0 represents someone like Blue Ivy Carter or North West's world.

by Anonymousreply 174July 10, 2021 4:17 PM

Tavi Gevinson is a terrrrrrible actress. I understand why she was cast, for the irony of a former child style blogger becoming Gossip Girl 2.0 but her lack of acting ability rankles, and the teachers seem like a bunch of losers.

Who gives a fuck about your bitchy students? Putting up with their shit and guiding their choices is your job.

by Anonymousreply 175July 10, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote] It is a different world but this is new money vs. generational, American royalty. 2.0 represents someone like Blue Ivy Carter or North West's world.

That makes sense. Though I'm also not sure it's a world I'm as interested. Old money is so insular and secretive, it seems fun to peek behind the curtain. New money is already so in our faces anyway that it seems less fun to me somehow.

by Anonymousreply 176July 10, 2021 5:34 PM

You all must be on drugs when you say the original characters felt like real people lmaooooooooo. Have you watched that atrocity recently? Serena feels like anything but a real teenage female.

You wanna speak about the way these teens act? Go on TikTok, this is how modern teens are, even when they aren’t rich. Serena and Chuck and Blair felt like caricatures. Nate was a non-entity and stiff, Dan and Vanessa felt the most “real”.

The stories were ridiculous on the original series, and don’t get me started on the outfits Serena would wear while out and about as a 16 year old.

Every criticism you’ve made about this one can be said about the original, and it’s no shock, as it has the same people behind it.

I get youre all butt-hurt POC are being represented now, but that doesn’t mean the original was this work of art. The characters felt like plastic dolls.

by Anonymousreply 177July 10, 2021 6:47 PM

R177 thank you for mentioning Serena’s clothing. I rolled my eyes at the person upthread who mentioned the clothing on the new show being too mature while defending the original shows clothing.

Spare me the bullshit. Serena looked like a housewife to a billionaire half the times.

by Anonymousreply 178July 10, 2021 7:03 PM

R176 is correct, all these new money whores get colonoscopies on Instagram. Where’s the nuance and mystery?

by Anonymousreply 179July 10, 2021 7:23 PM

I agree R177, but in the old money, almost American aristocratic society, there was still slut shaming, and a set of rules in terms of what it meant to be a proper women or well educated man that was reinforced by older gen x parents and their boomer grandparents who were still holding on to that way of thinking. Blair was still a virgin in the and Serena was the coke snorting party slut, the Paris Hilton. It was also pre insta. before people were living their own lives so their was a secrecy behind that world. Although Blair would stop at nothing to get what she wants and it would some times epically blow up in her face which was half the fun.

Gens Z parents are old millennials or young Gen Xers, these kids have been using Facebook their whole lives. It's a different time. If you aren't going to slut shame, they don't "peer pressure", or looks shame, than where is the drama going to come from. That seems to be the consistent criticism in all the reviews.

by Anonymousreply 180July 10, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote] Serena was the coke snorting party slut, the Paris Hilton.

Please, never ever compare Serena with Paris Hilton ever again. Serena lashed out, because she had daddy issues. It was her attempt to get his attention (to the point the show brought him on, played by Billy Baldwin). She cleaned up her act, and interned in Hollywood for a producer (or was it director?). Then the show decided to fuck everything up at the end and let her marry the one who stalked her and her friends during the entire run. The show's ending is right up there with the LOST (and Game of Thrones final season) of terrible, legacy destroying TV show endings.

by Anonymousreply 181July 10, 2021 7:50 PM

Serena isn’t likable and I heard Blake is a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 182July 10, 2021 7:52 PM

R181 - Serena was always going back and forth with drugs/drinking throughout the series. The it girls of NYC in the late 90's early aughts were Paris, Bijou Phillips, Casey Johnson. Surprisingly, Ivanka kept her distance but she would be in that orbit and age bracket. Paris has cleaned up her act. Serena could never hold down a job and bounced from one situation to the next. These women are more similar than they are different, with Paris probably being more driven than Serena b/c she was disinherited after the sex tape and had to hustle her own money.

by Anonymousreply 183July 10, 2021 7:55 PM

I really like that Blair and Chuck, especially Chuck, got the happy ending and the family he always wanted. I thought them having a little boy, a mini Chuck, was cute. They both needed love more than anything and I think they got it. Yeah, I don't know about Serena and Dan ending up together, it seems like a Lili and Rufus, although Rufus didn't want (or want to admit that he wanted) that world where as Dan very much did, so there might be less issues.

by Anonymousreply 184July 10, 2021 7:59 PM

Paris Hilton is a useless waste of space from real life. Serena is a fictional character going through emotional hell like any other leading character in a show. Remember Kelly Taylor in 90210 and all the shit she went through? FICTIONAL Kelly is a better comparison to FICTIONAL Serena than some real life soicialite bimbo like Paris.

by Anonymousreply 185July 10, 2021 8:02 PM

Not enough guy on guy action in the first episode. I'm actually a bit disappointed. And that pink haired Asian dude who said "I'm not gay!!!" in an interview can't act for shit. Clearly the weakest link of the entire cast. How did he even get the role? Especially since he doesn't even want to play a gay character. It's mind boggling.

by Anonymousreply 186July 10, 2021 8:08 PM

OP is clearly a shill. The first episode sucked and it wasn't very gay at all. I don't know what the fuck OP is on about.

by Anonymousreply 187July 10, 2021 8:11 PM

Basic thing is I watched the first episode and I didn’t buy the characters or care if they lived or died. Won’t be watching another episode.

by Anonymousreply 188July 10, 2021 8:13 PM

How are there minorities anywhere near these people? I loved the original gossip girl and watched one episode and will not watch anymore. Bring back the old group.

by Anonymousreply 189July 10, 2021 8:14 PM

OP is a studio shill, who seems to think she can shame us with threats of being saddled with charges of “racism” if we don’t like, love and recommend this show to everyone we know, on every social media account we have.

by Anonymousreply 190July 10, 2021 8:15 PM

R24 I was like wtf at that line. He has pink hair! At least Chuck 2.0 saved it by saying he already sticks out.

by Anonymousreply 191July 10, 2021 8:16 PM

The entire cast acts like they popped 4 Valiums before the cameras rolled.

by Anonymousreply 192July 10, 2021 8:21 PM

Just watch (new) Dynasty, gays!

by Anonymousreply 193July 10, 2021 8:30 PM

This might blow your mind r189, but there are rich minorities.

by Anonymousreply 194July 10, 2021 9:25 PM

Yes I’m sure OP is a shill tasked with coming to datalounge to convince the eldergays to watch gossip girl.

We are THAT relevant.

Gurl please. Some of us liked it. Chalk it up to bad taste.

by Anonymousreply 195July 10, 2021 9:34 PM

R194 they think every minority is in the projects

by Anonymousreply 196July 10, 2021 9:37 PM

The lead girl, the bald one, was terribly miscast.

by Anonymousreply 197July 10, 2021 9:39 PM

There were rich minorities in the original series, r189

by Anonymousreply 198July 10, 2021 11:23 PM

Needed more Luke Kirby. Who looked all of 10 years older than his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 199July 10, 2021 11:26 PM

Only 8% of millionaires are black, so definitely some over representation here.

by Anonymousreply 200July 10, 2021 11:36 PM

Watched the pilot and really had to push myself to finish it.

Also, it's nice that they had a guy who wasn't straight but hate the fact that the first time we see him making out with a guy was in a threesome with a woman. God forbid we have a guy in an actual relationship with another guy.

Nice that they have two gay actors playing teachers (Jason Gotay and Adam Chanler-Berat) but so far they're pretty damn boring and pointless.

by Anonymousreply 201July 11, 2021 3:22 AM

Serena and Blair were great because they were polar opposites:

Serena was just natural, had an ease about her, great with people, and was generally unpretentious. Her flaws were she was a bit flaky and a bit of a manic pixie girl.

Blair was determined, meticulous, and SMART. Yes, she banked on her privilege a lot but unlike Serena, she knew how to put in work when needed. Blair was the opposite of natural: she was all try, try, try. She wasn’t very good with people and was extremely insecure

by Anonymousreply 202July 11, 2021 3:29 AM

Enough with the ridiculous Serena worship. She was an awful character and hardly even a character. She was a caricature

by Anonymousreply 203July 11, 2021 3:31 AM

I loved Serena and Dan.

by Anonymousreply 204July 11, 2021 3:57 AM

R204 of course you did.

by Anonymousreply 205July 11, 2021 4:09 AM

R186 I believe this is his first acting project. Previously he was just a skateboarder until he was "discovered" by Frank Ocean.

Thomas Doherty awhile back had put out a photo on instagram that was taken down several times. I guess instagram thought it was inappropriate or violated their rules.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206July 11, 2021 6:36 AM

That's what made Blair the best character is that she did work her ass off and try to be the best at everything she did. I loved her take downs, which were so meticulous. I also loved her initiations like the slumber parties. 2.0 would not force Jenny to drink a martini, make out with an older partnered guy, and then shoplift from her mom's boutique. Nothing feels urgent or scandalous. I would have made the blond actress, who seems the most veteran out of the cast, the lead character. We need a little more white representation to flesh this group out.

by Anonymousreply 207July 11, 2021 6:46 AM

[quote]We need a little more white representation to flesh this group out.

We are never going back.

Get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 208July 11, 2021 7:32 AM

Diversity brings its own crazy drama. Just look at the Heather reboot that turned the "woke" kids into mean Heathers who rule and terrorize the high school and then get murdered one by one.

by Anonymousreply 209July 11, 2021 7:44 AM

GG might be all POC, but at least they are hottish, rich, and music industry/real estate developer new money. I buy these characters, maybe not at Constance, but still. If they went Bridgeton and tried to make us believe these were Vanderbilts or UES old money, that would be harder. In the old GG, you got major points subtracted if you did not live on the UES of Manhattan. Brooklyn was considered a no go and the characters made Brooklyn comments constantly.

Heather, OTOH, was completely unbelievable and really went for broke. . An overweight, unattractive girl as Heather Chandler, a ultra femme non-binary male as Heather Duke, and a black lesbian as Heather McNamara were the school leaders in Ohio? I don't think so. Even Gen Z isn't that woke. And this launched a few summers ago and bombed. I couldn't even watch it.

by Anonymousreply 210July 11, 2021 4:35 PM

Yeah some of these characters probably wouldn't live on the UES r210. Like baldies dad is in the music industry? He would probably find UES stuffy. Maybe be in Tribeca/Soho.

by Anonymousreply 211July 11, 2021 4:48 PM

The Asian dude is a model. His career is model. He was asked to audition because they felt his look was perfect for what they wanted and gave it to him. He is new to acting. Hopefully they have him taking lessons to get better, not that it always helps. Some people just aren’t actors.

by Anonymousreply 212July 11, 2021 5:16 PM

They go to school on the UES. We don’t know where all of them live.

Teens travel to school in NYC all the time. I assume most of you commenting didn’t grow up in NYC. It would make sense on why you know so little about us.

There are musicians on the UES.

by Anonymousreply 213July 11, 2021 5:19 PM

R183 Ah, the early to mid aughts!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214July 12, 2021 12:09 AM

I loved Heathers and Insatiable. They weren't perfect but they were definitely a lot of fun and way more interesting that this GG reboot. But it's only the first ep, so maybe it will improve.

by Anonymousreply 215July 12, 2021 1:23 AM

r215, I like all three. For me, Heather is an underrated gem the way the story unfolds. It probably has the most satisfying end of a teen drama / horror show.

by Anonymousreply 216July 12, 2021 1:26 AM

[quote] They go to school on the UES. We don’t know where all of them live.

Now they all live all over the city, but in the original that all lived on the UES. In the original series it was "hey upper east siders, your one and only source into Manhattan's elite". Now they just say New York elite.

by Anonymousreply 217July 12, 2021 1:30 AM

R217 which actually fits into 2021 more, as a lot of those schools take more people from all over the city (including other boroughs) now. They used to be mostly for people from that certain area, while UWS has their elite school and so on. Not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 218July 12, 2021 1:35 AM

Yes, the original show had all of them from the UES, and all were generational, minus Dan, who was from Brooklyn.

Now they’re from all over Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 219July 12, 2021 1:37 AM

R218 - They go to private school so they will take anyone who can pay.

by Anonymousreply 220July 12, 2021 1:37 AM

R220 in the past NYC “elite” schools only took certain types from certain places. Look into it.

by Anonymousreply 221July 12, 2021 1:47 AM

Which has changed r221.

It makes sense the show has evolved. In the original Chuck was the only new money character, Serena, Blair and Nate were all meant to be from old money families.

Now the dynamic is different, I imagine most of these characters are meant to be new money.

by Anonymousreply 222July 12, 2021 2:10 AM

r222, I think the stuffy blonde, who gets off watching her boyfriend and Max undress, comes off like she's coming from old money.

And what was up with that line where her boyfriend encourages her to think of Max while he fucks her? That seemed so out of place and way too early for the show's run.

by Anonymousreply 223July 12, 2021 2:13 AM

[quote]Only 8% of millionaires are black, so definitely some over representation here.

You're dumb. Where exactly is the overrepresentation ? Lead's dad is white. Her sister is a scholarship kid. The only probable black millionaire we've seen is the side kick('s parents). Stupid fucks are so ready to cry "woke" they cant even stop to think if it actually applies.

by Anonymousreply 224July 12, 2021 2:13 AM

[Quote]And what was up with that line where her boyfriend encourages her to think of Max while he fucks her? That seemed so out of place and way too early for the show's run.

I assume it's meant to plant the seed how asian guy is into Max also r223. He doesn't begrudge his gf for being horny for him because he is guilty of the same. Though it is moving fast.

by Anonymousreply 225July 12, 2021 2:23 AM

R223 clearly the Asian guy is into Max too, and knows she is into him. It’s a budding throuple. Stop over analyzing every detail. Jesus. It’s been one episode to a show. Clearly we are gonna see the building of their relationship as the season plays out.

I think all 3 white characters feel old money, while the others feel more new money.

by Anonymousreply 226July 12, 2021 2:26 AM

Max is questionable, but Audrey and Obi are definitely old money.

by Anonymousreply 227July 12, 2021 2:26 AM

Baldie is biracial and her white father is the rich parent. So they don’t fit within the 8%.

Zoya isn’t rich and won a scholarship. Her father can’t afford that school. So they aren’t a part of the 8%.

We don’t know about the other black girl.

So what is the racist upset about?

by Anonymousreply 228July 12, 2021 2:32 AM

I just find this article. Turns out the characters really aren't meant to live on the UES.

Apparently Baldie does live in Tribeca, Max lives in West Village, and Obie lives in Dumbo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229July 12, 2021 2:41 AM

R229 yes, as said upthread, this fits in more with modern times, where a lot of those elite schools offer more scholarships and accept people from all over the city vs. the past where it was meant for its locals on the UES.

by Anonymousreply 230July 12, 2021 2:47 AM

The richest character living in Brooklyn is quite a change from the original where Dan living in Brooklyn was treated as a punchline.

by Anonymousreply 231July 12, 2021 2:49 AM

Gentrification has made Brooklyn the “it” place for young people r231 and Brooklyn is becoming more expensive than Manhattan slowly.

by Anonymousreply 232July 12, 2021 2:54 AM

I bet some of these posters were the type to lose their shit when the Hampton's replaced Newport as the they place to be for new and some old money. They probably still make a trek to RI to rent a 3 bedroom cottage a few blocks from a Vanderbilt Cottage (gay-gasp).

Times change and what's hip is always changing. Remember a wonderful DL thread about new wealthy buyers, not just new money, were expansing their horizon beyond the UES for buildings offering modern amenities and modern floor plans. Things change, but the UES will also have cache just like Newport is still a scene, but nothing like the Hamptons, Nantucket, or MV these days.

Old money in the US isn't even that old. NYC and LA will always be cool but the UES suffers from stuffy boards that make applicants jump through so many hoops to reside in their ancient pile of bricks. For many, its not worth the hassle when you can get a renovated or recently built place with everything a family in 2021 could want with spectacular views or brownstone in some other area.

I was in high school when the original aired and remember the buzz from female classmates. If anything this show makes me feel old (now 30) but it's fine because it was serving fashion and beautiful leads. I think this has potential.

by Anonymousreply 233July 12, 2021 3:09 AM

UES is a safe haven for Republicans

by Anonymousreply 234July 12, 2021 3:12 AM

I remember that picture r206. I think Instagram deleted it because of the VPL in the photo.

by Anonymousreply 235July 12, 2021 5:09 AM

We don't know for sure if any of the white characters are from old money. Audrey is supposed to have a dramatic back story that we don't know yet,. We haven't the trans girls family home.

Even though Obi is the richest, I don't think he is old money. His family are developers who live in Brooklyn. That feels more new money than Bart Bass. Old money and dynastic families don't live in Brooklyn. Their kids might, but not the parents. But then again, I am assuming the parents are young gen x or old millennial, so I guess it's possible that they are living off their parents.

by Anonymousreply 236July 12, 2021 6:37 AM

They’re playing minors r236, of course they’re living off their parents.

A lot of old money have bought buildings in Brooklyn

by Anonymousreply 237July 12, 2021 11:42 AM

And you’d wonder why Hollywood’s is facing a downward spiral.

I mean the show was hot in its formative years. Why bring that back.

I mean couldn’t they have come up with something more original instead of regurgitating this show that was of its moment at the time but certainly not now IMO.

Stop bringing back shows that don’t deserve a comeback.

by Anonymousreply 238July 12, 2021 11:56 AM

Serena and her family actually lived in Midtown, minus the couple of seasons where they lived at Bart Bass’s penthouse in the Palace. The building for the van Der Woodseen penthouse is at 500 East 55th Street as the Milan Condominiums. That’s not the UES. This is a building that Serena’s grandmother purchased for her parents as a wedding present.

So, even the original wasn’t about UES residents so much as people in that orbit. The new shown maintains that idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239July 12, 2021 12:46 PM

No r239.

Yes the real life building is not on the upper east side, but in the world of the show Serena's penthouse was located in UES.

by Anonymousreply 240July 12, 2021 1:14 PM

r240 we never get anyone that confirmation that their family home is on the UES. In S1 it was under construction, then they briefly moved there before moving to the Palace Hotel (Lotte New York Palace) which is also not in the UES. Anyway we cut it, Serena’s family might have kept a fictional home in the UES but for half of the show her family lived in Midtown(?). We never get to know which side of town she’s on so I’m going to assume it’s based on the real building’s location since they were very specific about the homes and locations they chose.

by Anonymousreply 241July 12, 2021 1:20 PM

Wasn’t the school building also the old Palace hotel?

by Anonymousreply 242July 12, 2021 1:35 PM

The school is shot at the The Museum of the History of New York. I don’t know NYC so I can’t tell if 1230 5th Ave is Carnegie Hill or Called some other area.

It does not look like the UES but north of it next to Central Park.

by Anonymousreply 243July 12, 2021 1:51 PM

Serena traveled to school and I always got that impression because she would run into Dan on her way at times

by Anonymousreply 244July 12, 2021 3:35 PM

[quote] Serena traveled to school and I always got that impression because she would run into Dan on her way at times

Well, there was a reason she managed to bump into Dan that way.

by Anonymousreply 245July 12, 2021 4:44 PM

When they were giving the new girl advice on where to hang, all of the references (e.g. Yura for coffee, Mezzaluna rather than Serafina, J.G. Mellon) were specifically UES. So clearly the UES is meant to be their world, regardless of where they live.

by Anonymousreply 246July 12, 2021 4:56 PM

R243, the museum is just north of Carnegie Hill. The UES “technically” ends at 96th street, although over on 5th Ave, where the museum is located, it extends up a little further, up to around the Mount Sinai area.

Also, that isn’t the only location they use for the school. They also use a Russian church on E 93rd st, which was also used as the school in The Undoing.

by Anonymousreply 247July 12, 2021 4:59 PM

Obie living in Brooklyn was a very purposeful joke to reference Dan in the original

[Quote]Elsewhere, the show’s richest character, Obie Bergmann (played by Eli Brown), lives in the tony Brooklyn neighborhood Dumbo, an inside joke according to Safran. “In the original, Dan was the poor kid and he lived in Brooklyn, which was ridiculous then, of course,” he says. “And now the richest character of our show lives in Dumbo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248July 12, 2021 5:34 PM

The Asian kid has a beautiful face

by Anonymousreply 249July 12, 2021 6:26 PM

Are there any hot guys?

by Anonymousreply 250July 12, 2021 9:23 PM

R236 Plenty of old money in Brooklyn Heights

by Anonymousreply 251July 12, 2021 9:42 PM

R232 How is the weather in 2007? It's quite wet and humid in the present.

by Anonymousreply 252July 12, 2021 9:53 PM

R251 not the same type of money on UES

by Anonymousreply 253July 12, 2021 10:25 PM

I'd say season 2 is happening

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254July 12, 2021 10:50 PM

Yes. It was trending on TikTok the day it debuted.

by Anonymousreply 255July 12, 2021 11:00 PM

[quote] When they were giving the new girl advice on where to hang, all of the references (e.g. Yura for coffee, Mezzaluna rather than Serafina, J.G. Mellon) were specifically UES. So clearly the UES is meant to be their world, regardless of where they live.

The writer said that he absolutely obsessed about all of these details to make sure they were 100% spot on. He didn't reference the UES, but he did exhaustive research into every hot spot that would be in their orbit.

by Anonymousreply 256July 13, 2021 3:28 AM

R256 I don't know why i find that so funny. Wonder if their research was equally as thorough with the original series.

by Anonymousreply 257July 13, 2021 4:02 AM

I'm sure, R257. The devil is in the details. Bender's, Bergdorfs, The Waverly, The Oak Room, etc.

by Anonymousreply 258July 13, 2021 5:07 AM

Thomas Doherty who plays Max in an interview says he once worked as a maid and also at a TJMaxx. Thomas also tried to work at bar but they wouldn't hire him citing a lack of experience. So Thomas thought of a place he could get a job was at a gay bar and they quickly hired him. Thomas says that working at the gay bar was great and that he loved it plus the music and the loads of tips.

by Anonymousreply 259July 13, 2021 11:55 PM

I knew a homophobe who was a bartender at a gay bar in NJ. If any of the guys would touch him he would beat them up and have them kicked out. He was never fired.

But he admitted gay bars are where a male bartender can make tips. Straight men don’t tip male bartenders well and women don’t either.

by Anonymousreply 260July 13, 2021 11:58 PM

Thomas Doherty was the only actor that actually caught my attention in the first episode. He was having fun and has some charisma. More than you can say about a lot of this cast so far.

by Anonymousreply 261July 14, 2021 1:30 AM

I never watched the original, just snippets and same with this re-boot. But I WILL say that the cast in the original was far more attractive than this new bunch.

by Anonymousreply 262July 14, 2021 1:45 AM

I am looking forward to seeing Thomas Doherty seduce the swim team coach and I am also excited to see more of his gay family dynamics. Agree that he so far is the only one with any spark or charisma. I like his dads West Village town house aesthetic based on the set photos upthread.

by Anonymousreply 263July 14, 2021 4:23 AM

The whole premise of the original show was people being mean and bitchy towards one another. Now this freak show reboot is supposed to be all woke and nice? Whatever!

by Anonymousreply 264July 14, 2021 11:51 AM

What the hell are you talking about, R264?

Anyway, new episode tomorrow!!

by Anonymousreply 265July 14, 2021 7:31 PM

The new episode is out, I watched it this morning. This show is awful but I can't look away.

Though the most unrealistic thing is this show trying to convince the audience that Dumbo, which is largely a quiet family friendly neighborhood is the hottest neighborhood in NY that everyone is hanging out in.

A lot of th acting in this show is amateurish but the guy playing Aki particularly can't act, I guess this is his first acting job.

Max continues to be the most entertaining character, though that he is supposed to be a highschool junior who is bored because he has already fucked so many people is a bit much. Of course Thomas Doherty looks nothing like a highschool junior.

Also the shout out to male general, man the writing staff wants to make sure they show they are internet savvy. Now I want Max's dads to make a DL reference when we meet them.

Also the sisters, still don't care. Though that Obie who is supposed to be the nice guy is completely cool with immediately moving onto his exs sister as if they isn't creepy is hilarious to me.

by Anonymousreply 266July 15, 2021 12:48 PM

Thomas Doherty looks like a hybrid of John Barrowman and Cheyenne Jackson.

It might have all been more believable if they made these college kids at some elite college. Especially if they were going to do things like the bathhouse thing. It’s a bit creepy having high school kids at bathhouses.

by Anonymousreply 267July 15, 2021 1:02 PM

LAME!!!

I finally got around to watching the GG re-boot, and it none of what made the original so entertaining.

I will say I was surprised by how much I actually liked Julien and Zola, as well as the main teacher. But the friend group is so aggressively unlikable, I'm hoping this version of GG involves some suicides and accidents amongst them. The lead mean girls lack the cool bitchiness of Penelope and Hazel...they're just straight up cunts. Then there's the boring blonde girl whose personality consists of having sex and...that's it. Bitchy gay BFF...check. Boring ass boyfriend (who happens to be played by a horrible actor)...yikes.

by Anonymousreply 268July 15, 2021 1:12 PM

Yeah, R268, it’s a bit of a mess… and a miss. The acting all around is pretty consistently bad.

by Anonymousreply 269July 15, 2021 1:19 PM

R266 DUMBO is neither quiet (always teeming with tourists) nor really that family-friendly. Are you confusing it with another neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 270July 15, 2021 1:20 PM

Yeah r270 the last time I was there it was like hipster heaven. Packed with bars and young people.

by Anonymousreply 271July 15, 2021 1:24 PM

Packed with bars?! There are tons of neighborhoods in Brooklyn with far more nightlife. Sure you get lots of tourist by the bridge taking their selfies of course but that's a different animal.

It's super expensive, the only people I know who live there are wealthy families who like that Dumbo has lofts with nice amenities, greenspace, with a quick commute to Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 272July 15, 2021 1:47 PM

R272 I don’t live in NYC so I was just visiting friends and we went there. This was pre-Covid. It didn’t seem like a quiet neighborhood at all to me. We had drinks at some rooftop bar that was full of young pretty things.

by Anonymousreply 273July 15, 2021 2:43 PM

I mean it's New York not suburbia r273, quiet is a relative term but when you think of neighborhoods known for their nightlife Dumbo is not going to the one that comes to mind.

Just thought it was funny that the students, the teachers, everyone goes to Dumbo to hang out apparently.

by Anonymousreply 274July 15, 2021 2:49 PM

So a teacher at this very prestigious highschool is a popular manwhore on social media and has gossip threads about his sex life online and that's just not an issue?

by Anonymousreply 275July 15, 2021 3:08 PM

Someone please explain "Dumbo". Where exactly is it? Is it a new name? What's the origin of the name? Should we all care?

by Anonymousreply 276July 15, 2021 4:15 PM

Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass r276. Because if they didn't tack on the overpass part it would just be "Dumb".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277July 15, 2021 5:16 PM

R127 yea that's him he's a fucking head case

This ep has a minor (the dumb one) going to a bathhouse with the "h.s. junior" who looks 35 and helps him stalk a teacher who is also grooming his students to fuck after graduation

wtf

by Anonymousreply 278July 15, 2021 6:08 PM

R278 Is the teacher Jason Gotay's character? If so I wouldn't blame them.

by Anonymousreply 279July 15, 2021 6:17 PM

Yes this episode has Max throwing himself at Jason Gotay's character over and over r279.

Grooming his student r278? Please. The show went out of the way to keep it where Max was the aggressor so the teacher didn't seem like a creep.

by Anonymousreply 280July 15, 2021 6:37 PM

R279 it is and i guess im just not getting past the real harsh eyebrows on him but i understand lol

The Storyline is just creepy and weird and not hot at all and the characters are like molestation bots who will keep asking for consent until the other character is worn down

its like watching ppl do math problems

by Anonymousreply 281July 15, 2021 6:38 PM

R261 it’s because of the character he’s playing. It’s easy to have fun playing a bisexual whore who loves seducing people.

I’m sure it’s a lot more fun than a character like Zoya or Obi.

by Anonymousreply 282July 15, 2021 6:45 PM

It's hard for me to see their interactions as creepy when Thomas Doherty and Jason Gotay are only 5 years apart in real life and that's what it looks like on screen r281, just two guys talking.

And that's a fair point on r282, even on paper his character is the most fun, not surprising it translates to being more fun to watch on screen.

by Anonymousreply 283July 15, 2021 6:50 PM

I wonder what went on behind the scenes of HBO Max? The first two episodes feel like a two-parter, as in being aired back-to-back on the same night.

And I love Thomas Doherty's character (booo for the small towel covering his dick in the bath house scenes). He's such a charming devil.

by Anonymousreply 284July 15, 2021 7:53 PM

So much of the acting really is terrible. Thomas Doherty is good and I think the girl playing Audrey is good, but is being given horrible material. They really need to giver her character a personality. I agree the sidekicks are just cunts and not clever or funny. I'm still shocked that Josh Safran thinks this is more comedic than the original because it is totally devoid of laughs.

by Anonymousreply 285July 15, 2021 8:19 PM

Agreed that the two sidekicks are awful. They just seem dour and subservient to the famous girl. Plus the trans actress is really bad at acting.

by Anonymousreply 286July 15, 2021 8:28 PM

The problem with the sidekicks is that they clearly give Julien bad advice that causes bad drama. The show is pretty obvious with its anti-social media stance.

by Anonymousreply 287July 15, 2021 8:36 PM

[Quote]So much of the acting really is terrible.

You expect it with the young cast somewhat, but I'm surprised how many of the adults cast in this also can't act. The guy that plays Zoya's dad is surprisingly bad.

by Anonymousreply 288July 15, 2021 9:33 PM

I don’t think the acting is bad. And it no worse than the original shows. Have you watched it? Blake Lively can’t act. Penn is good because he’s interesting but he’s limited too.

And don’t get me started on Chase Crawford. He’s atrocious.

The two sidekicks on this one are being given more to say/do than the two on the original show.

I think your memories are clogged, it’s been so long.

by Anonymousreply 289July 15, 2021 10:08 PM

Episode 2 was such a choir to get through. Who knew a teen show about kids going to a gay bathhouse could be dull. They are clearly trying to capture the attention of younger viewers in a way that Netflix ELITE as able to do a few years ago. ELITE had good actors, this show has primarily weak actors. The bisexual guy is the only interesting character. The rich boy with the heart of gold is so basic looking. Where are the Chance Crawfords?

Some actors need to be fired before the shoot the second half of this season. Don't even make an excuse, just cut the cord on their contract.

1. The asian, cute but can't act worth a damn. He's taking up valuable space from another Asian actors that could fill the role.

2. The male teacher (GG's sidekick). he's not pleasant to look at on screen and he's a rather pointless character. Cut him and the ugly chick woking as an Admin secretary.

3. The black father. His line readings seem more appropriate for the theater not TV. Thought he was going to break out into a Hamilton tune by the way he delivers his lines and stands. His character seems like such an asshole. PS, I hate his hair. A fro is great but a messy fro is not it, baby. (Yes, I'm also black so it's not a racial thing)

E2 Storyline: What's with this 2 second gap between relationship 1 and relationship 2 for rich boy, Opie (hat's what I'm calling him)? You don't break up with someone you've been with for years, then kiss her sister the next day. The human interactions on this show are very odd., and even more unrealistic that the original GG. I had fun with E1, but E2 feels like a mess. If it continues on this show may end up being just on season. Speaking of, where the hell is all of the fun? This episode and it's pacing felt so low energy. The stakes are always low and I don't see where they are going to get any drama out of this.

Also, we can see from a mile away that the teacher and the black father will end up together. Her GG night job will become an issue, blah. What does that father do that allows him to just jump up and move to NYC? Can't even hate watch this episode because it was just so damn bad.

by Anonymousreply 290July 15, 2021 10:49 PM

Also, the uniforms are pissing me off. E1 Julien tells Zoya that the cool/rich kids mess around with their uniform to flex their power over the administration. Zoya is a scholarship kid with only one friend. How does she get away with ignoring the uniform to show up in a tank top with her jumper pulled down like the town slut? Her father saw her wearing that and didn't say a damn thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291July 15, 2021 11:00 PM

I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 292July 15, 2021 11:03 PM

R290, I thought I was the only one who didn’t like Zola’s dad. He gives off the vibe that he doesn’t like Z as a person, or something. Julien’s dad was a dick, too, but he at least acknowledged the fact.

I also agree with r291 regarding Z’s “uniform”.

by Anonymousreply 293July 15, 2021 11:14 PM

The original was funny because we laughed at the ridiculous storyline and characters. This is a woke shitfest, not funny and very little eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 294July 15, 2021 11:17 PM

What is so woke about it?

by Anonymousreply 295July 15, 2021 11:20 PM

[Quote]And don’t get me started on Chase Crawford. He’s atrocious

Yes Chase Crawford was a really bad actor in Gossip Girl too, but at least he was freakin gorgeous! You understood why he was cast.

Let's be real, the guys in this show are not that hot.

by Anonymousreply 296July 15, 2021 11:23 PM

You only use woke because it has POC. But to straight people it’s woke because it has a bi guy making out with dudes.

Drop the word.

by Anonymousreply 297July 15, 2021 11:23 PM

I don’t find Chase sexually attractive at all. He looks like a Ken Doll. Penn is way sexier.

by Anonymousreply 298July 15, 2021 11:24 PM

I wouldn't say GG21 is woke per se, but it is heavy-handed in its inclusivity. They literally checked all the boxes: pansexual with gay dads, transgender girl, bi-racial Queen Bees, bi-curious Asian, and the two main white characters are in interracial relationships. I appreciate the diversity, but it felt really forced.

by Anonymousreply 299July 15, 2021 11:47 PM

The teacher that Thomas Doherty is throwing himself at is NOT hot. His face is too gay.

Gays, if you have gayface, please consider facial reconstruction surgery.

by Anonymousreply 300July 16, 2021 12:07 AM

The second episode is a CHORE to get through.

by Anonymousreply 301July 16, 2021 12:10 AM

That teacher’s overplucked eyebrows and prissy attitude are total dick wilters.

by Anonymousreply 302July 16, 2021 12:19 AM

Josh Safran dated the odious Anthony Rapp? Bruh, no wonder he is pushing the fey, gay leaning bisexual trope - seems to be his type.....

by Anonymousreply 303July 16, 2021 12:33 AM

It's woke in the way they talk about GG being cancelled, the only funny part of the episode. It's also woke having Max asking Aki for his consent before they did anything. They are in a gay bathhouse, why was that necessary? If they wanted to add that line they should have made Aki appreciative of Max asking, then have Max mention that his family's lawyer told him to he always ask. It would have reminded us that he's still a rich kid and added a little bite to the show. Instead, it became this awkward scene of underage kids somehow in a bathhouse.

by Anonymousreply 304July 16, 2021 1:15 AM

[Quote]It's also woke having Max asking Aki for his consent before they did anything. They are in a gay bathhouse, why was that necessary?

Why was it necessary for Max to make sure his "straight" friend in a serious relationship with his other friend would be okay if they got physical?! Seriously man, you are scaring me.

Now I agree it was awkwardly handled, could have felt more natural. But it would have been very predatory if Max just started jumping his bones.

by Anonymousreply 305July 16, 2021 1:25 AM

r305 he knows his friend isn't straight or he wouldn't have been in a gay bathhouse with him. HIs friend is curious, obviously. Also, we have all either been in a bathhouse or found a way to gauge someone's consent without saying those cringy words. It's so freaking weird and something I heard on Love Victor as well. Must be the new "D.A.R.E." type of messaging they are pushing on kids these days.

He could have just said, "Can I kiss you to make him jealous." His friend would have given his consent when he kissed back and did whatever else they got up to.

by Anonymousreply 306July 16, 2021 1:35 AM

I imagine at some point, the teachers turn on each other to be the one in charge of the Gossip Girl brand. The outcome of that fight might bump a few of the teachers off the show.

While I love the show, my biggest complaint is that the group members lack a certain familiar dynamic considering they are supposed to be longtime friends. Like, is Max making a move on Aki and Audrey only now (after being friends for several years)? I mean, at first Audrey seems to be well aware of Max being a player, and yet she falls for Max's game even harder than Aki.

by Anonymousreply 307July 16, 2021 1:42 AM

Okay, the second episode is not as compelling as the first.

by Anonymousreply 308July 16, 2021 7:50 AM

The ugly blonde looks like a Hamptons housewife.

Baldy looks like a 30 year old arts administrator.

The bitchy transwoman looks like a restaurant hostess.

Max and Obie are astonishingly bad actors.

Tavi Gevinson should stick to writing love letters to Jon Hamm and Grimes.

by Anonymousreply 309July 16, 2021 11:25 AM

This reboot just makes me appreciate the original more.

by Anonymousreply 310July 16, 2021 11:26 AM

R310 sums up my thoughts.

The 2 sisters are charismatic and I'd love them as side characters, but they can't carry the show on their own.

Blake Lively and Chace Crawford were horrible actors, but they had charisma....and they were nowhere near as bad as the guy playing Aki. Also, what is the point of characters who are bargain bin versions of original characters if they all exist in the same world. Max is no Chuck and Obie is no Dan. And the parents on the original were soooooo much better (even Blairs gay dads were cooler).

The show's biggest sin is that it is NOT CLEVER. Think of Georgina's and Blair's best lines...they still resonate. This show lobs out supposedly funny lines every scene and they all fall flat.

Gossip Girl will be my The Undoing of this summer, so I'll hate watch it until the end (but even that show had the benefit of good acting and an interesting plot).

by Anonymousreply 311July 16, 2021 11:51 AM

R36 hes straight. He’s been working on seducing him for a while now. Aki will be resentful of him later on when he realizes he’s being kind fucked.

by Anonymousreply 312July 16, 2021 12:48 PM

Today I learned OG/GG had a cheesy, very 00's intro for the first season when originally broadcast. I started watching in early 2009 after downloading season 1 on iTunes. There, and eventually in following seasons, the intro was the short, "Where has she been, Serena? And who am I? That's not a secret I'll ever tell..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313July 16, 2021 1:08 PM

I’m watching episode 2 and loving it. I’m not getting the crying on here.

by Anonymousreply 314July 16, 2021 2:12 PM

OMG 313 the shot of Ed Westwick in that opening!

by Anonymousreply 315July 16, 2021 2:13 PM

R314, did you watch the original version? With zero context I can see how the reboot could be viewed as decent. However, when you compare the two it's easy to see how lacking in charm the 2021 version is.

I mean, the love interests alone...Armie Hammer (when he wasn't a psycho)...Sebastian Stan...Timothy Olyphant, Hugo Becker, Kevin Zegers...

In this version the most attractive guy is forced to chase around some troll teacher wearing an inch of makeup and eyeliner.

by Anonymousreply 316July 16, 2021 2:21 PM

That opening credits video is a fan made thing. The opening on the actual show was always the same short intro with Gossip Girl's voiceover.

by Anonymousreply 317July 16, 2021 2:45 PM

R316 I watched the original during its original run and then rewatched it during Quarantine. You’re an old white man viewing the show through rose tinted lenses. It wasn’t the charming show you claim past season 2. 3 was fun and then it went downhill fast.

Those love interests you mention all came and went through a 6 year course. This show is on its 2nd episode. You’re comparing 6 full seasons to 2 episodes. Think about that. You’re a bit old to be playing naive ingenue.

Most of the originals cast had no charm or charisma and the storylines were absolutely ridiculous. Again, take off the rose tinted lenses.

by Anonymousreply 318July 16, 2021 3:18 PM

A show can have bad writing and acting, but if you have characters with charisma or a certain appeal, that can overcome the bad. I can’t really feel myself warming up to anyone on this show.

by Anonymousreply 319July 16, 2021 6:10 PM

No one on this show has any redeeming qualities. They could all die and I wouldn't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 320July 16, 2021 6:12 PM

R318, you raise some valid points. I think a lot of my OG/GG love has more to do with Blair, Georgina and Chuck more than the overall quality of the show itself. But I also remember being primed and ready to hate the show until I saw Blake Lively on the cover of Vogue magazine during Season 1. Then it was like, “This show isn’t going anywhere…you need to watch it.” When I did, I was pleasantly surprised.

The 2nd episode of GG/21 has me more invested in Julien, who I find gorgeous and charismatic, as well as Zola. However, the plots and the dialogue just seem stale. Think about it: The big dramatic moment in episode 2 has to do with Zola…gasp…buying school supplies when she’s supposed to be grounded!

I guess it just sucks to see potential wasted.

by Anonymousreply 321July 16, 2021 6:16 PM

Julien seems like a nice girl, but her minions seem to be more interested in her social media brand than Julien herself.

The concept (teachers trying to control their students through social media) is interesting. So far, only two episodes have aired, and it will take some time to show the main characters' backstory and some character development.

You would think the cock thirsty NY elite would've noticed popular Max's dick shared from Zoya's smartphone. Or maybe they did and I missed it?

by Anonymousreply 322July 16, 2021 6:52 PM

I like but don't love it. The teachers are creepy and the only younger cast with an ounce of charisma is Thomas Doherty, but it's kind of fun and the production values are top notch.

by Anonymousreply 323July 16, 2021 7:07 PM

Julien's dad is supposed to be a major DJ/producer. How much money do they typically make? I'm not familiar. I just think of Paris Hilton at turn tables in some European club. Not very glamorous.

by Anonymousreply 324July 16, 2021 9:51 PM

R324: One of the characters mentioned Julien's dad is more successful than Diplo, who's worth almost $100M.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 325July 16, 2021 9:59 PM

R324 Diplo, Zedd, Calvin Harris etc are all DJs gone huge and very rich.

Even DJ Pauly D made a fortune from DJing after Jersey Shore. He charged ) figures per DJ gig. He’s worth many millions now.

by Anonymousreply 326July 16, 2021 10:08 PM

In the aughts, club gigs were huge. DJ, club appearances, etc. Even gay porn stars made a mint from showing up at club events (like the White Party) dancing as go-go boys and then hustling for money, coke, or meth.

by Anonymousreply 327July 16, 2021 10:11 PM

DJs can make a killing. Someone I knew from HS became a DJ post college and was bringing in 6 figures once he gained a reputation and word of mouth etc.

by Anonymousreply 328July 16, 2021 10:14 PM

At least in the original, the minions werent main characters and they stayed in the background for the most part. Julien's minions are being pushed front and center, have ZERO character and are just weirdly obsessed with Julien.

The teacher plotline is ridiculous. An underage student is aggressively pursuing you and shows up at a bath house? Tell management!

by Anonymousreply 329July 16, 2021 10:20 PM

R329 the minions in the original would jump off a building if Blaire said to. You wanna speak of obsessed? Lmao.

And upthread it was said how it was wrong how they didn’t flesh out the minions more and give them more to do and I agree with that. The original show was trash after season 3.

Seasons 4 and 5 are a chore to sit through and ridiculous. The Princess storyline, Serena becoming this respected person overnight in the field that seemed to discover her, as well as her being Tyra’s muse etc. a joke. The guys were almost always given lame storylines.

Chuck and Blaire’s up and down and back and forth became repetitive too.

Someone mentioned Arnie Hammer, and his brief stint on here sucked, and he couldn’t act.

by Anonymousreply 330July 16, 2021 10:29 PM

Georgina was the only saving Grace for GG post season 2. Her episodes always added a new life to the show. She should have been used more.

by Anonymousreply 331July 16, 2021 10:30 PM

R330 I mention frequently how the original show went downhill after they left high school. Kati and Iz were background characters. The new minions are MAIN characters. Yeah, they should have more to them than obsessing over Julien 24/7 or stay in the background. The black one is a lesbian apparently, but who would know??

by Anonymousreply 332July 16, 2021 10:32 PM

Nothing says "I really want to get to know my sister" like dating her ex 5 minutes after they break up. Even with her blessing, you'd think it would make things unnecessarily awkward between them. There are a couple million dicks in New York City, Z, and you have one sister (for now).

Are they gonna bond at the spa talking about his pussy eating skills?

by Anonymousreply 333July 16, 2021 10:34 PM

R332 thats something we will probably see eventually

by Anonymousreply 334July 16, 2021 10:34 PM

[Quote]The teacher plotline is ridiculous. An underage student is aggressively pursuing you and shows up at a bath house? Tell management!

I mean in the world the show projects, these kids are rich and therefore can get away with anything. I mean that's how they are at this bathhouse and every other adult only space in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 335July 16, 2021 10:50 PM

Eli Brown is cute, but not "Yeah, I'll throw away the relationship with the sister I've always wanted to meet" cute. None of this cast are

by Anonymousreply 336July 16, 2021 11:19 PM

R336 I don’t think it’s about looks. He was the one who was nice to her, and they had that night they spent together, and he looks out for her etc. sometimes that makes someone very attractive to you even if they aren’t physically great.

by Anonymousreply 337July 16, 2021 11:21 PM

R337 nice enough to throw away your chance to get to know the sister you've been dreaming of? It just seems so fucked.

by Anonymousreply 338July 16, 2021 11:23 PM

R338 her sister drew the lines in episode 1. Zoya said she would take her down.

by Anonymousreply 339July 16, 2021 11:25 PM

Is there some sort of rule against hot diversity? Can't believe the main cast is so fug.

by Anonymousreply 340July 16, 2021 11:26 PM

Was there some sort of casting couch situation between Josh Shwartz (EP on both GGs and The OC) and Evan Mock (asian kid)?

Evan is just some skateboarder that got a shout out from Frank Ocean, who liked his pink hair (his trademark) and his body. Since then, he's landed some modeling contracts as influencers do these days. Josh saw him and insisted on creating this Aki character just for him.

Evan's and Josh claim that he didn't want to do the part but they begged him to join. His acting in E1 & E2 was outright horrendous. It's insulting that we have hundred of trained actors fighting for parts, and this kid with zero acting skills (not even a damn high school drama class) gets begged to be the co-lead on an HBO series.

I've checked his socials. He's not even that well known or followed. Half a million followers on Instagram. So I don't see what he bring to the series unless he sucks a mean dick behind the scenes.

They did the casting early during the pandemic. Cast didn't meet each other until on set so it was virtual. But what gets me is that almost every actor, at least theater boys, in NYC was available last year. But this kid walks in a butchers the part? Shame.

Final Points:

1. Does this story about begging him to join sound like bullshit to anyone else?

2. How often does Hollywood "beg" no-named models to lead TV shows.

3. Anyone else getting a casting couch vibe or just me?

by Anonymousreply 341July 16, 2021 11:28 PM

r336 he is, i'll put a hole in a condom to snag a baby rich though. Not that Z is looking for that but he's got mad money. The sister is family. but she's not sharing her daddy's DJ millions.

by Anonymousreply 342July 16, 2021 11:29 PM

R341 do you mean gay producer Josh Safran? Safran had nothing to do with The OC and took over OG GG towards the end.

Schwartz is straight and doesn't SEEM to have much to do with GG 2.0

by Anonymousreply 343July 16, 2021 11:31 PM

I doubt Josh Safran and Evan Mock have done anything, but does Safran have a crush? Of course, there is clearly something about Evan that appeals to him which is why he put him in this show. Just like Frank Ocean who liked what he saw of Evan and promoted him on his social media which made him famous.

Really, Evan owes his entire career to gay dudes being into him.

by Anonymousreply 344July 16, 2021 11:38 PM

Which ever Josh r343. Some guy moved a mountain to get this kid on the show. I'd love to know why because it makes little to know sense. If he had Noah Beck or Cameron Dallas. Speaking off, Cameron Dallas would actually be a perfect fit on this show since everyone can't act worth a damn. He'd be cuter than any of the tired male actors they hires.

Give him that bi-three-way storyline and the show would be on fire with buzz. HIs desperate ass would have taken the role in a NY minute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345July 16, 2021 11:38 PM

^I meant it'd make more sense if they had someone big like Beck or Dallas or an Asian influencer if needed.

by Anonymousreply 346July 16, 2021 11:39 PM

[quote] Some guy moved a mountain to get this kid on the show.

Isn't he Insta-famous or something? Some producers believe that having influencers and social media stars appear on a show gives it better ratings these days.

by Anonymousreply 347July 16, 2021 11:43 PM

r347 he only has 500k IG followers and no TikTok. So no, he's not big on social media. is follower count matches some basic Insta-gays.

by Anonymousreply 348July 16, 2021 11:51 PM

Can we acknowledge how Thomas Doherty doesn't just play a slut on TV, clearly he is channeling his own sluttiness.

Posing with the bulge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349July 16, 2021 11:57 PM

Sharing his dick on instagram.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350July 16, 2021 11:58 PM

R341 clearly it’s because of his look. It’s been said already, he’s not an actor but they wanted him on the show because they loved his look. And they’re right.

by Anonymousreply 351July 17, 2021 12:00 AM

He's handsome, but his look doesn't mean shit if he can't act. He literally struggles through his scenes...it's painful to watch.

Just think how hot the bathhouse scene wouldve been if Aki were played by a real actor.

by Anonymousreply 352July 17, 2021 12:08 AM

He doesn’t struggle. So far his scenes are simple. You’re acting like they’re asking him to recite Shakespeare. He’s been fine.

And this is hardly the first time a non-actor is recruited to act. It’s happened many times and usually they have them in acting classes while filming and they keep going to hopefully improve by the next season

by Anonymousreply 353July 17, 2021 12:25 AM

Evan is incredibly photogenic. The camera loves his face

by Anonymousreply 354July 17, 2021 12:27 AM

That's a hot pic at R350. Nice hard dick.

by Anonymousreply 355July 17, 2021 2:30 AM

R341 there was a blind item on CDAN saying all of the mains did the casting couch for this show.

by Anonymousreply 356July 17, 2021 4:47 AM

Do people still go to bathhouses? Every person in that scene was under 30 and hot, that's the most unbelievable part of the show so far.

by Anonymousreply 357July 17, 2021 5:44 AM

The modesty towels were funny. As if a hedonist like Max wouldn't be wagging it EVERYWHERE

by Anonymousreply 358July 17, 2021 7:38 AM

It’s missing camp. Safran said no slut-shaming or catfights... how fun is that? He then went on and on about spending money to rent out real locations. He’s more interested in style over substance.

This is the same guy who took over season 2 of Smash after the creator was forcibly removed. Whatever your thoughts on that show, it was agreed that season two was even more of a mess.

by Anonymousreply 359July 17, 2021 8:28 AM

R359 the ridiculous teachers plot is a little campy but otherwise you're completely right.

by Anonymousreply 360July 17, 2021 8:41 AM

.. ..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361July 17, 2021 11:13 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362July 17, 2021 11:14 AM

The trans “girl” has bitchy queen voice for dayysssssss. Bad actor, does not pass.

by Anonymousreply 363July 17, 2021 11:32 AM

R356 Casting couch for actors and assistants both Safran is famous in NY mostly for banging his asistant on Smash + then moving him in now they tell people/on social that their married, i guess like dont ask how they met lol

by Anonymousreply 364July 17, 2021 4:43 PM

You all speak as if the casting couch is anything new. It’s been a thing since the beginning of showbiz.

by Anonymousreply 365July 17, 2021 4:46 PM

R364 whats the story on the lovebirds?

by Anonymousreply 366July 17, 2021 4:50 PM

By the way, Evan Mock is NOT Asian, he is Hawaiian.

Hawaiians are Pacific Islanders, not Asian. Although it's possible that Hawaiians can have some Asian ancestry.

Evan Mock is basically kind of like a pink haired Keanu Reeves (who is also Hawaiian).

by Anonymousreply 367July 17, 2021 9:19 PM

Keanu Reeves is Asian.

by Anonymousreply 368July 17, 2021 9:22 PM

Pacific Islanders aren’t white dear.

by Anonymousreply 369July 17, 2021 9:23 PM

Is that really his dick at R350?

by Anonymousreply 370July 18, 2021 3:25 AM

Evan Mock is half Filipino just like closet case Darren Criss.

by Anonymousreply 371July 18, 2021 5:37 AM

Both seem to be closet cases R371

by Anonymousreply 372July 18, 2021 5:46 AM

No Rose r570, he has a pet snake.

by Anonymousreply 373July 18, 2021 6:21 AM

Fuck Pacific Islanders!

by Anonymousreply 374July 18, 2021 6:34 AM

R365 what gave you that impression??

by Anonymousreply 375July 18, 2021 8:44 AM

The second episode was much better than the first. Finally some ass. Still don't think this show is gay enough, though the teacher and student gay storyline was kinda hot. I was hoping they would go there, because it would be very hot, but I'm also glad they didn't. Not all gays are only out for sex, some actually value their careers. And sone have morals. With that said, it made NO sense that Max spent the entire evening chasing dick then ended up sleeping with Audrey🤢🤮 What a load of bullshit. Yes, I know he's bi or pan or whatever, but once your in the mood for dick you don't choose fish. Not even bisexuals do that. And once again we have a straight sex scene (granted, it was only alluded to, but still), before a gay sex scene. All we have so far is kissing and some ass. Max is supposedly borderline a sex addict yet we have never seen him have sex with a guy. Make it make sense.

by Anonymousreply 376July 18, 2021 9:58 AM

Of course they only tease the gay sex. I'll be shocked if we have an actual gay sex scene in this show.

by Anonymousreply 377July 18, 2021 3:37 PM

Is it just me or is Julien kind of not hot enough to be a believable queen? I mean Serena’s body was just flawless. It’s easy to see that all straight boys would want to fuck her and all girls would want to look like her. Blair wasn’t hot, either, but she was extremely cunning and intimidating at least.

by Anonymousreply 378July 18, 2021 5:19 PM

But her "Queen B" status is apparently based her being famous on social media r378, so it's a different dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 379July 18, 2021 5:25 PM

R367 Even Mock wishes. He doesn't have 1/10 of Keanu's appeal. He leaves no impression whatsoever. Thus, the need to dye his hair pink, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 380July 18, 2021 5:29 PM

R379 And why is she a social media queen? She is neither hot nor interesting enough. Nepotism doesn’t take you that far on IG….

by Anonymousreply 381July 18, 2021 5:30 PM

I think Julien looks perfect for playing a modern day socialite, model, and successful social media influencer. And what brings it home is that she is being managed and pushed around by her minions while basically doing nothing, other than looking pretty.

by Anonymousreply 382July 18, 2021 5:31 PM

R382 But Julien’s girlfriends are all prettier than her. Especially Zoya who also looks much better with Obie. Julien doesn’t have a nice body, either, so the fashion doesn’t look good on her.

by Anonymousreply 383July 18, 2021 5:33 PM

r381. Social media is all hype. The Kardashians only got famous because Kris Jenner bought her family members' followers and then convinced companies to throw money at the Kardashian family to endorse their products on the Kardashian social media accounts.

by Anonymousreply 384July 18, 2021 5:33 PM

r383, there's always a prettier one. What matters is the hype, the push that insists people like Julien are the ones to follow. And let's not forget: In both reality and fiction, most people are sheep and follow whoever they are being told to follow.

by Anonymousreply 385July 18, 2021 5:36 PM

R384 Say what you want but the Kardashians just stand out. They have crazy bodies and aesthetic, big personalities and do outrageous things. And they are a group, so they profit from one another. But there is nothing outstanding about Julien if she wasn’t bald.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386July 18, 2021 5:38 PM

r386,

Julien = two episodes on the new Gossip Girl Reboot

Kardashians = Around for, like, forever with plenty of opportunities to stand out with their publicity stunts.

by Anonymousreply 387July 18, 2021 5:40 PM

R385 Alright, then I hope to witness Julien’s downfall within this season ;-)

by Anonymousreply 388July 18, 2021 5:40 PM

R387 I don’t know, I just thought Serena had an aura right from that beginning which made her the center of attention in every very scene she was in. This aura also transcended into real life for Blake as she landed Vogue covers and campaigns for Chanel and Gucci. I just can’t see this with Julien/Jordan at all, but let’s see what will happen….

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389July 18, 2021 5:46 PM

She is bald though, thats unique and you know plenty of girls would scream how it's empowering. Plus she is half-black which would work to her favor to make her different than a normal rich girl. It's not hard for me to see how she would have attracted fans on social media.

One detail I noticed was when they showed Aki at home. He lives overlooking the southern end of Central Park, aka "billionaires row".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390July 18, 2021 5:54 PM

I watched the original but I'm too old for this shit now. I apologize that I can't see the bald girl having such a following and the "wokeness" is just too much. The pink-haired guy is not even remotely hot, either.

by Anonymousreply 391July 18, 2021 7:51 PM

R391, I disagree. I generally don't find Asians or Pacific Islanders hot, but this pink-haired guy I actually do find hot.

by Anonymousreply 392July 18, 2021 8:05 PM

The Zoya actress is incredibly beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 393July 18, 2021 8:42 PM

R393 The Zoya actress also has a nice-sounding voice.

by Anonymousreply 394July 18, 2021 9:24 PM

Is the Zoya actress the transsexual?

by Anonymousreply 395July 18, 2021 9:30 PM

R395 No, the trans girl is neither as pretty nor as nice-sounding as Zoya.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 396July 18, 2021 10:08 PM

[quote]Bad actor, does not pass

I had no idea Zion was trans until I read this thread, so I disagree about the passing, but the acting is very very bad - she's easily the weakest link out of an already very weak cast.

I couldn't put my finger on who Evan Mock reminded me of and then it hit me - he looks EXACTLY like former Greg Arakis protege James Duval, who is also mixed Asian/Pacific Islander/European.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397July 19, 2021 12:39 AM

I agree r397. When I first saw pictures of her I didn't suspect she was trans, she is pretty.

Anyway, this thread should include Thomas Doherty's butt from the episode. He has a surprising nice butt on his slim frame.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398July 19, 2021 1:03 AM

[Quote]Do people still go to bathhouses? Every person in that scene was under 30 and hot, that's the most unbelievable part of the show so far.

Yes, that bathhouse full of hot young men cruising was fantasy. That doesn't exist in New York. We just had a recent reread on here talking about the sad state of New York bathhouse scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399July 19, 2021 1:08 AM

What r371 said. Evan Mock is not of native Hawaiin ancestry. His mom is Filipino and his Dad is white.

There are a lot more Asian people in Hawaii than there are people with indigenous Hawaiian ancestry.

by Anonymousreply 400July 19, 2021 3:14 AM

[Quote] I mean Serena’s body was just flawless. It’s easy to see that all straight boys would want to fuck her and all girls would want to look like her.

Plastic surgery will do that.

by Anonymousreply 401July 19, 2021 1:30 PM

Blake really did have BDF. Maybe that’s what attracted Ryan Reynolds to her.

by Anonymousreply 402July 19, 2021 2:16 PM

I know the show can't be TOO risque, but don't have an unabashed whore go to a bathhouse if you're going to have him do the towel dance. That scene was so laughable, the way the characters strategically placed their small towels.

by Anonymousreply 403July 19, 2021 2:20 PM

They might as well have been wearing underwear. But at least we got some ass R403

by Anonymousreply 404July 19, 2021 2:21 PM

Call me a prude, but it seems in 2021, the last thing you want to do is depict underage nudity in a bathhouse, even if the actors are adults. There seems to be a bias in how males, especially gay ones, are depicted this way because they’d never show any of the females flashing ass in a locker room - that would get so much backlash. Not a condemnation, just an observation.

by Anonymousreply 405July 19, 2021 2:31 PM

No, it'd be tits.

by Anonymousreply 406July 19, 2021 2:35 PM

Tits or ass, R406, they’d never go there if the depiction is an underage female.

by Anonymousreply 407July 19, 2021 3:05 PM

Euphoria did show breasts of some its characters who were girls in highschool r407.

by Anonymousreply 408July 19, 2021 3:29 PM

Please, if this reboot is making it a point to not depict catfights or slut shaming, attracting "the male gaze" is a no-no (and no means no!)

by Anonymousreply 409July 19, 2021 3:38 PM

Yes, it is less controversial these days to objectify male characters than female ones. Which I am quite happy about.

by Anonymousreply 410July 19, 2021 3:41 PM

It’s garbage. We deserve better looking actors who can act or at least try. How many fucking trans can there be at an UES school? And they would not be popular there either. I know, it’s fictional but it’s also poorly made and way too “woke”.

by Anonymousreply 411July 19, 2021 10:14 PM

Euphoria stars a trans character and it really good. Arguing about something being "woke" is dumb. Is it good or is it not good. That's what matters.

by Anonymousreply 412July 19, 2021 10:29 PM

I like the diversity, but I think I would have liked to see the uber rich characters as spoiled saudi princes, kid of a south american plantation owner/drug lord, daughter from a korean chaebol or chinese newly minted billionaires. That would be more interesting than the fake lives of instagrammers.

by Anonymousreply 413July 20, 2021 2:12 AM

In all fairness, New York rich kids don't care about rich Asians, South Americans, or Arabs. Nobody would gossip about them.

by Anonymousreply 414July 20, 2021 2:49 AM

I just watched episode 2 and was a big OG GG fan. I WANT to like this, but the pilot and this episode feels like trying to cum, but not being able to get there. If they dropped the woke bullshit and let the characters get nasty, it would be so much more fun. By woke, in the pilot they say they don't peer pressure and in this episode they make a note to say they don't believe in pointing out hierarchies, it just is what it is. Writers?!?!? The GG orbit is all about pressure, manipulation, scandal. and queen bee's minions. Gen Z is so serious for being so sexually open, but then again they were born into ta shitty post 9/11 America. You can't even enjoy or flaunt your wealth anymore without getting cancelled.

Chuck practically raped 2 girls in the first 2 episodes or maybe the pilot. This gets close to being interesting but no climax, no juicy reveal, no cliff hangers. I agree that I like Julian and Zoya, but as side characters. Unfortunately, I don't know who of the main cast should be shifted into the A slot. In the pilot I thought Audrey had potential to be a cunt, but I'm let down in this episode. I kind of like the idea of someone upthread - scrap the dead weight, keep some of the core, and then bring in a rival or villanesse for the batch of episodes coming in the fall. I hope Saffron is reading the reviews and comments. I think even Roxane Gay would agree that we would all like a break and would enjoy a sexy, soapy, stylish escape. Julien needs a "Nair-tini| stat to throw into Zoya's hair and utter some line like about looking like sisters now.

The parents are terrible with the exception of Julien's dad. He seems more guido gangaster than music mogul/DJ, but he's decent. I HATE Zoya's dad's hair. It's not the fro, but he has a massive receding hairline - it doesn't work and it's distracting..

The throuple should be interesting. Max is the best character and actor, but he can't carry the entire show. What was up with the teacher? He was hot but he was wearing pancake makeup and the eyebrows. Oh - Max does say that he is of age to the teacher, but is 18 way too old for the beginning class of juniors.

The cast has no chemistry between them like the OG, They need to remind us constantly that they knew each other since kindergarten, something GG didn't need to know. You could feel the depths of their relationships by their actions.

by Anonymousreply 415July 20, 2021 4:42 AM

The age of consent in NY state is 17.

That guy looks more like 37 than 17, though.

by Anonymousreply 416July 20, 2021 10:52 AM

R416 oh just STOP 🛑

by Anonymousreply 417July 20, 2021 11:32 AM

No gay sex scene yet. Why do I have a feeling they will only tease the gay stuff. Hope I'm wrong though.

by Anonymousreply 418July 20, 2021 11:33 AM

Yeah that was meant to say Max was 17 not 18, Doherty has referred to him as 17 in interviews. Still a little old for a junior at the beginning of the school year, but the right move as it avoids statutory rape concerns when he sleeps with adults.

by Anonymousreply 419July 20, 2021 11:40 AM

R412 no, it's not. Euphoria is overrated.

by Anonymousreply 420July 20, 2021 12:56 PM

Euphoria is edgy, because it's a teen soap dealing with gritty issues, like drug addiction, online prostitution, catfishing, abusive relationships, queer relationships, etc. The other show that comes closest to that is Generation, which is from HBO Max.

The original Gossip Girl was on CW, they can't do HBO level of edgy (the closest they got was Dan having a threesome with Vanessa and Hillary Duff).

by Anonymousreply 421July 20, 2021 1:04 PM

Thomas Doherty's character explicitly says he's not underage in the second episode when he's trying to seduce the gay teacher.

by Anonymousreply 422July 20, 2021 11:02 PM

We just went through this r422.

He said he is "of age" because he is. The age of consent in New York is 17, and Max is meant to be 17.

by Anonymousreply 423July 20, 2021 11:11 PM

R398 You must be blind. That trans girl looks like a sex doll.

by Anonymousreply 424July 20, 2021 11:41 PM

R424 she looks like she's had a lot of plastic surgery, but so do a lot of non trans girls her age these days. Look up Alexis Ren, Madison Beer, Addison Rae and a bunch of other young "it" girls right now. They all have head to toe plastic surgery.

by Anonymousreply 425July 20, 2021 11:58 PM

“Still a little old for a junior at the beginning of the school year”

Actually, a seventeen year old junior is accurate for NYC private schools. The cutoff dates are different than public school, and most of the kids start kindergarten at or nearly at six, either because of their birthday or because their type A parents “redshirted” them to give them an educational advantage. ‘

by Anonymousreply 426July 21, 2021 1:29 AM

Most people are 16/17 in their junior year, but I know people who hold their kids back if they are on the cusp. They don't want them to be the youngest ones in the class or at a disadvantage, to R426 point. Still, he looks late 20's. There is not a whiff a high school junior on him. Obi, I buy.

Zoya is so babyfaced that she makes JC look old just by proxy, forget the massive age difference. The actresses are 18 and 27.

by Anonymousreply 427July 21, 2021 2:15 AM

The casting is wonky across the board. I don’t get why they would make such odd choices, particularly in terms of age, when there are plenty of capable actors who could have handled these roles.

by Anonymousreply 428July 21, 2021 2:28 AM

Eh, it's common to cast actors in their 20s to play highschoolers though r428.

I agree Doherty looks the oldest, but honestly given how sexual of a character Max is, it's probably better not to have an actor that looks like a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 429July 21, 2021 2:33 AM

Good call - R428. A GG reboot on HBO should be epic. The ratings for the pilot and anticipation were certainly there. I would imagine every young actor in Hollywood would want this gig based on the original GG success, built in fan base, and the elevation to HBO. There are no other talented black actresses who could bring it? Someone like Keke Palmer would have been fabulous in this if we need diversity. I loved her in Hustlers.

by Anonymousreply 430July 21, 2021 2:34 AM

Well a Woke version of GG, without a character as charismatic and strong as Blair Waldorf or Chuck Bass, for me it's tasteless. This permanent feeling that it was absolutely necessary to have more diversity to the point where it is no longer credible for the show is felt at every second. I don't feel any chemistry, any of the things that I liked in the original. No magic, zero stunning outfits, no palpable tensions, no really tasty plot that keep the viewer in suspense and the actors aren't as good-looking as in the OG. Too many ingredients needed by a show like GG are missing. It's a no for me. Sorry. Xoxo

by Anonymousreply 431July 21, 2021 3:05 AM

[Quote]Zoya is so babyfaced that she makes JC look old just by proxy, forget the massive age difference. The actresses are 18 and 27.

Zoya is a freshman while the rest are juniors. I think she is only meant to be like 14.

by Anonymousreply 432July 21, 2021 3:55 AM

Who the duck are these idiots who keep calling this “woke?’

You’re either stupid or you’re a Trumptard. Or both.

There is nothing woke about this show. Stop whining because you need to see more fucking white people in order to feel validated. The landscape has changed. Get used to it. If it wasn’t working, the media would not do it. But it is working. So we won’t be going back.

Grow the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 433July 21, 2021 11:29 AM

I can’t get over the difference in quality between the pilot and last week’s show.

by Anonymousreply 434July 21, 2021 11:30 AM

R433 You are the perfect caricature of the so-called left-wing dumbass, who, as soon as he has to deal with different opinion from his own, allows himself to call others racists, Trumpdard. Of course yes, this GG there is 100% Woke. It is not because there is diversity, it is just that it is forced and in a number that no longer makes it credible in this elite. Go and educate yourself, and close your mouth polluted with ignorance. On the other hand, you are clearly refering to this post r431, and all you got from it is "diversity" that you then added to racist. Diversity is not only the POC you poor uneducated brainless ! Who needs to grow up now?

by Anonymousreply 435July 21, 2021 11:46 AM

[Quote] The original Gossip Girl was on CW, they can't do HBO level of edgy (the closest they got was Dan having a threesome with Vanessa and Hillary Duff).

Cracks me up that it was seen as scandalous. Hilary and Jessica put in the bare minimum with that scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436July 21, 2021 12:01 PM

R431 hits it on the head for me. I can absolutely feel the diversity mandate. Which is weird because I absolutely think the show should have been diversified. The way they did it just makes it feel hamfisted.

by Anonymousreply 437July 21, 2021 12:13 PM

Agree with R437. It feels totally forced. Julien isn't just half black, she's also bald. And her best friends aren't just latina and black, they're also trans and a lesbian. Max isn't just pansexual, he also has two gay dads. Aki isn't just half filipino, he also has pink hair. The original show was way too white, but this show feels like it's central group is made up of checkboxes and not a group of actual private school kids.

by Anonymousreply 438July 21, 2021 1:24 PM

[quote] The original show was way too white, but this show feels like it's central group is made up of checkboxes and not a group of actual private school kids.

Covering all possible demographics isn't a new thing that is "forced" upon the viewer. Viewers didn't notice certain things. Like Dan wasn't just an outsider (aka poor), he was also raised by a single dad, a bit of an intellectual nerd, etc. "Woke" hysteria is what makes people aware of characters having more characteristics. Critics notice more and then complain that they see more things, like WTF?

by Anonymousreply 439July 21, 2021 2:05 PM

Nerdiness and single dads aren't diversity. And they weren't reasons he would have normally been considered an outsider. But, sure, when the tattooed two spirit Native American character with nonbinary parents shows up, I'm sure that'll just be another typical day at an UES prep school.

by Anonymousreply 440July 21, 2021 3:22 PM

R435, please repost when you’re sober and can string more than one sentence together in a coherent manner. If you’re having trouble getting off the Oxy, help is available.

by Anonymousreply 441July 21, 2021 4:48 PM

R441 When you'll be able to argue with adults you will be able to comment on an adult website. Until this day, try to stop being so ricudiculous, kid.

Breathe, next time you tackle people, for no other reason that they don't share your opinion, check on a dictionary look for the word "democracy", then try to enrich your culture and your poor limited vocabulary, so maybe you'll understand what you are reading.

by Anonymousreply 442July 21, 2021 5:31 PM

^ ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 443July 21, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] Nerdiness and single dads aren't diversity.

Back in the old days, it was a stigma to come from a "broken" home where parents had divorced. Of course, from a present point of view, it's no longer a big deal. Same with mixed race parents (which was a big deal once upon a time).

These were all social issues that caused problems and conflicts. Of course, in those times social media wasn't a thing, but you could still get reports about people being outraged that such problematic issues (like homosexuality) are being promoted and pushed down people's throats. "Woke" hysteria is just a modern version of it. Just like the One Million Moms bullshit (which turned out to be just one angry bigot Karen).

by Anonymousreply 444July 21, 2021 5:53 PM

R442, what does Gossip Girl, and your knee jerk racist reaction to its latest iteration, have to do with democracy?

Are you sure you’re not confusing democracy with the concept of freedom of speech?

You know, they are not the same thing, Jethro.

by Anonymousreply 445July 21, 2021 6:39 PM

No, democracy is about not muzzling opinions different from yours. Example: your extremely childish behavior when you are calling people racist becuase they talk about diversity, you clown! Freedom of speech is my freedom and my right to tell you this. I repeat: Diversity is not just about skin color. But it's a waste of time trying to explain basic things to a mentally retarded brainless, who still needs text explanation. Now, that you insist so much like the psycho you are tell us what was racist, make us laugh for a change. R445

by Anonymousreply 446July 21, 2021 6:49 PM

R441 Sit your fat ass down, sis

by Anonymousreply 447July 21, 2021 6:52 PM

Well, whatever you want to call it, it sucks. I will hate watch and hope for better, retooled episodes when it continues in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 448July 22, 2021 2:33 AM

Are they still filming this season or have they finished production r448?

by Anonymousreply 449July 22, 2021 2:47 AM

[Quote]And her best friends aren't just latina and black, they're also trans and a lesbian

I didn't even realize that character was going to be lesbian, but some googling tells me you are right.

by Anonymousreply 450July 22, 2021 3:35 AM

This episode I thought was at least a big step up from the first two, of course that's a low bar. But it was just a lot more fun to watch, I notice it is a different director from the first two.

by Anonymousreply 451July 22, 2021 2:17 PM

Third episode is infinitely better. Although I know I’m not the target audience, as I sympathized with Jon Benjamin Hickey’s character, not the other one.

by Anonymousreply 452July 22, 2021 3:21 PM

Max's Dads are two wealthy NY gays who have been monogamous their whole relationship? Heh, that's rich.

[Quote]Although I know I’m not the target audience, as I sympathized with Jon Benjamin Hickey’s character, not the other one.

Well of course DL is going to take the side of the handsome more masculine one.

And after forcing his teacher into all this drama, the episode ends with that teacher letting Max crash at his place?Man, they are trying building those two up into an actual relationship aren't they.

by Anonymousreply 453July 22, 2021 3:57 PM

R453, not that hickey is more handsome or even more masculine necessarily. It’s that the other partner had gone basically full trans, or perhaps non-binary. If I had married a man and that’s how he later transitioned, then I can absolutely understand being turned off and no longer being sexually attracted or fulfilled. Because I like men.

by Anonymousreply 454July 22, 2021 4:21 PM

Max's flamboyant theater dad is clearly based on real life flamboyant theater power gay Jordan Roth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455July 22, 2021 4:47 PM

Started a new thread for unwashed masses who can't post in this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456July 23, 2021 5:42 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!