Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Is there a luxury brand that ISN'T for vulgar new money, pimps, and rappers?

Inspired by the Louis Vuitton thread. Are there any that are still considered "acceptable" to high class society?

by Anonymousreply 51July 21, 2021 5:52 PM

They all sell clothing and accessories that are considered acceptable.

A Hermes bag. A Chanel Suit. Gucci shoes etc.

by Anonymousreply 1July 21, 2021 12:34 AM

Burberry?

Coach?

Prada ?

by Anonymousreply 2July 21, 2021 12:35 AM

r2 my first thought: "It's necessary we stays in Burberry" ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3July 21, 2021 12:37 AM

Alexander McQueen

by Anonymousreply 4July 21, 2021 12:40 AM

r2 I've seen Coach mainly sold at outlet stores, although it IS one of the few brands that hasn't been "tainted", but the bags are no longer quality from what I understand, just mass-produced leather items.

by Anonymousreply 5July 21, 2021 12:40 AM

Coach has always been shit, and it’s not a luxury brand.

I would focus on well tailored items made out of high quality materials and avoid everything with huge visible logos.

by Anonymousreply 6July 21, 2021 12:46 AM

r6 but what are those?

by Anonymousreply 7July 21, 2021 12:47 AM

You will never find Hermes at an outlet store. They destroy their excess merchandise rather than let it go down market.

John Lobb shoes. They are hand made, to order, for the most part.

Cire Trudon candles. New money ain't shilling out $115 for a fancy candle.

by Anonymousreply 8July 21, 2021 12:47 AM

High end education. It all flows from there.

by Anonymousreply 9July 21, 2021 12:48 AM

Translation: I, the OP, do not want to wear clothes that black celebrities have tainted with their blackness.

I want racist approved designs.

Perhaps you should consider finding some old Ivanka Trump swag, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10July 21, 2021 12:49 AM

[quote] You will never find Hermes at an outlet store. They destroy their excess merchandise rather than let it go down market.

I refuse to knowingly support businesses that do that.

by Anonymousreply 11July 21, 2021 12:51 AM

Van Cleef & Arpels?

by Anonymousreply 12July 21, 2021 12:52 AM

Oh, fuck off r10. There's a difference between a wealthy rapper lavishly covering themselves in Burberry everything, draping themselves in gun and luxury goods with visible logos, and then preening as a pimp on a music video from an everyday person of color wearing the items, which I couldn't care less about.

But you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 13July 21, 2021 12:55 AM

R7, materials? Silk, cashmere, linen, merino wool, etc. When you look at garments, check for good quality lining, straight and even stitching, finished hems, good quality buttons, and so on. The brand doesn’t matter as much when it’s not on display.

There’s nothing wrong with certain classic designer items, but the most important thing should always be quality, not the name.

by Anonymousreply 14July 21, 2021 12:57 AM

r14 I mean what brands/items are those that have good, quality-made items still. A lot of LV is mass-produced now and isn't comparable, quality-wise, to what they sold 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 15July 21, 2021 12:58 AM

Not any longer. It's a world where THE most vulgar and most notorious clients are the best advertisements.

by Anonymousreply 16July 21, 2021 12:59 AM

If cost is no object, ones choices for top of the range quality products are limitless; the superb bespoke John Lobb shoes R8 mentioned start at US$6,500 the pair.

by Anonymousreply 17July 21, 2021 1:03 AM

Why would anyone discuss such a thing on social media?

If you really need to know a good brand, search for wait lists. If your sheets require a four month wait, it's because they rock. Same with furniture and luggage.

by Anonymousreply 18July 21, 2021 1:07 AM

These are some brands that UES people wear every day, that haven’t been ghetto-ized: Belgian Shoes, Anne Fontaine, Wolford, St. John, Villebrequin, RobertaRollerrabbit, Tory Burch, Stubbs and Wootton.

by Anonymousreply 19July 21, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote]I mean what brands/items are those that have good, quality-made items still.

All of the Italian and French luxury brands still make fine high quality items.

A few weeks ago I was gifted an Armani polo shirt.

It's simple, plain, all black and nice enough.

But it was made in Cambodia and it's from Armani's lower priced line "Emporio Armani".

But that has nothing to do with his $4,000 Made-in-Italy suits.

Mercedes makes the S-Class Sedan, but it also makes the GLA.

by Anonymousreply 20July 21, 2021 1:09 AM

R15, and that’s why I’m saying not to worry about a particular fashion brand. You can walk into TJ Maxx and find a well made item there. It depends on what you’re buying.

Most of my coats are from Burberry and I’ve had them forever. Tom Ford is great, Hugo Boss, and Lanvin for suits.

But regardless, the way I shop now is by feeling the fabric and reading the labels. I don’t care about the brand as much anymore. And I can do that at any store.

by Anonymousreply 21July 21, 2021 1:10 AM

R15, T. Anthony for luggage. It’s incredibly durable and a subtle signifier. You’ll have it for life and those who know, recognize it.

by Anonymousreply 22July 21, 2021 1:11 AM

R21, I’m sorry, but TJ Maxx has hardly any well-made goods. In the “Fashionista” section, you can find some cashmere, silk or cotton. The vast majority of the clothing and shoes is plastic, rayon, polyester.

Sometimes there are nice handbags from unknown labels. I’m a fabric snob (also don’t care about labels), and have much better luck in the thrift shops (though they are dwindling, and the really good stuff is petering out).

by Anonymousreply 23July 21, 2021 1:15 AM

La Mer.

by Anonymousreply 24July 21, 2021 1:26 AM

Grey Poupon

by Anonymousreply 25July 21, 2021 1:27 AM

Aquascutum, Goyard

by Anonymousreply 26July 21, 2021 1:44 AM

Yes, there are many, but I am not going to name them unless they pay me a promotion fee. A Duchess has gotta eat, you know.

by Anonymousreply 27July 21, 2021 1:45 AM

I desperately want people to think that I am high-born and thus will opine on which brands "high society" types still "approve" of, as if it were 1963 again.

by Anonymousreply 28July 21, 2021 1:47 AM

Bottega Veneta... when your own initials are enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29July 21, 2021 1:53 AM

Out of high end known designers, I would say Prada. The color pallets at Prada to err on the side basic solids for men, the cut tends to be slim, and Prada clothing tends to be more subtle - less label whoring (yes, there are some labeled items). It's like a high end Theory. The models tend to be slim white boys.

I would also say Alexander McQueen for both men and women. Kate Middleton wears him a lot for ultra formal.

Bottega Veneta is another one.

The Olson twins line, The Row, is very expensive high end designer basics for upper class white women.

The luxury houses are catering a lot to foreign money - the middle eastern and Asian markets. The styles are not wearable in the US without looking like a clown or Edina Monsoon.

This is off topic, but shockingly, Versace is becoming more subtle and wearable for men than ever before. It used to be the tackiest shit ever, but I just watched their show and it was one of the most wearable collections for men. All the designers are into gender bending right now on the runway and it's not hot. Gucci has become hideous.

by Anonymousreply 30July 21, 2021 1:54 AM

Jinx - R29. Bottega - totally.

by Anonymousreply 31July 21, 2021 1:55 AM

r28 there's actually a lot of refined gays with taste who frequent this site. You don't seem to be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 32July 21, 2021 2:13 AM

r30 I see a lot of high-dollar Instawhore rentboy types wearing Versace, pajamas and shirts and trousers and things. The kind with the super gaudy pattern so you know it's Versace.

by Anonymousreply 33July 21, 2021 2:15 AM

[quote] I desperately want people to think that I am high-born and thus will opine on which brands "high society" types still "approve" of, as if it were 1963 again.

Datalounge is obsessed with social class.

[quote] R28] there's actually a lot of refined gays with taste who frequent this site. You don't seem to be one of them.

There’s actually not. Did you miss the thread where they posted pictures of their homes? Have you read their fashion advice? Dataloungers have terrible taste.

by Anonymousreply 34July 21, 2021 2:47 AM

I know, R33. I think I was going off on a tangent of wearability. While a lot of it is tacky, Versace gives us hot, semi-mas models. I watched a lot of the 2020/2021 shows and Versace was one of the few that stayed with more masculine clothing. You are right though, refined luxury or non label whore it is not.

by Anonymousreply 35July 21, 2021 2:50 AM

Here's a good example. Turnbull and Asser. Custom or bespoke clothing. The wealthy wear handmade clothing and keep it for a long time. The same for handmade shoes (often Italian). Good reason for maintaining your weight as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36July 21, 2021 2:55 AM

I'm so glad you asked, OP.

It's been an entire [italic]week[/italic] since we had a thread on old money vs. nouveau riche, and it was way past time for another.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37July 21, 2021 3:06 AM

Fauré Le Page is still prestigious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 21, 2021 3:13 AM

Facconable

Turnbull and Asser is getting a bit stodgy for your rich, everyday American who wears nice clothes.

by Anonymousreply 39July 21, 2021 3:38 AM

Coach is NOT a luxury brand. It's what's known as a transition brand.

Patek Phlippe is rarely worn by new money.

Bespoke men's suits from Savile Row (but not the Macy's brand "Savile Row").

Several bespoke shoe makers - John Lobb, Hiro Yanagimachi

by Anonymousreply 40July 21, 2021 4:03 AM

Dads-n-Lads

by Anonymousreply 41July 21, 2021 4:25 AM

r34, first you post this:

[quote] Datalounge is obsessed with social class.

Then you post this in regard to someone saying that there are "refined gays" on this site:

[quote]There’s actually not. Did you miss the thread where they posted pictures of their homes? Have you read their fashion advice? Dataloungers have terrible taste.

Clearly you're obsessed with class yourself.

by Anonymousreply 42July 21, 2021 4:28 AM

[quote] I would focus on well tailored items made out of high quality materials and avoid everything with huge visible logos.

Congratulations R6 you got all the Big 3 meaningless datalounge fashion buzzphrases into one sentence. A lifetime of fashion delusion is yours.

by Anonymousreply 43July 21, 2021 4:35 AM

[quote] Patek Phlippe is rarely worn by new money.

Most generational wealth is lost by the 2nd generation. There’s probably not enough “old money” to keep Patek Phillipe or any of these other brands in business.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2021 4:37 AM

Black Americans want the symbols of wealth. They don't seem to understand that material things don't bring true happiness.

by Anonymousreply 45July 21, 2021 4:40 AM

[quote] there's actually a lot of refined gays with taste who frequent this site.

😂😂😂 wow.

Anyone with eyes should be able to see those John Lobb shoes are fucking ugly. OP do yourself a favour, go on ssense and get yourself something cool in the sale, support an independent designer. Get a Jacquemus shirt, or a martine rose suit, or a telfar shirt, GMBH pants, an Aries sweater. Give all these “heritage” brands a miss, you’re wasting your money (and time) on misplaced aspirations. And quit the shameful new money / old money fantasies, rich people aren’t to be marveled at, they’re destroying the planet.

by Anonymousreply 46July 21, 2021 4:49 AM

Belinda Carlisle carried Goyard totes for an interview in Thailand.. She's old money so you should follow her lead. Start with the card carrier and move up to the knapsack.

by Anonymousreply 47July 21, 2021 5:07 AM

Material things bring momentary happiness and that's the most I can ask for.

by Anonymousreply 48July 21, 2021 5:39 AM

[quote] Coach is NOT a luxury brand. It's what's known as a transition brand.

Coach is for poor people trying to have an accessory or item of status. The same goes for Michael Kors.

[quote] Black Americans want the symbols of wealth. They don't seem to understand that material things don't bring true happiness.

Wearing garish labels diminishes the brand appeal for those who have the wealthy status they wish to emulate. Also, money does not equal class. Wearing a big logoed LV bag in coochie cutters on Rodeo is so, well, probably the opposite of what they are going for.

[quote] Belinda Carlisle carried Goyard totes for an interview in Thailand.. She's old money so you should follow her lead.

Belinda Carlisle is not old money. She's white trash from the valley and is proudly, admittedly so. She might have married old money, but she is definitely not. However, I do like Goyard and Belinda. It can be new money, old money, or young money. I like the small credit card holder. That's all you need.

by Anonymousreply 49July 21, 2021 6:40 AM

[quote] Black Americans want the symbols of wealth. They don't seem to understand that material things don't bring true happiness.

The 47 million black people that = the US black population are not what’s keeping those brands in business. Of course no thread, regardless of the subject, is not complete without negative generalizations about black people.

by Anonymousreply 50July 21, 2021 5:38 PM

[quote] A lot of gays will be voting Republican in 2024. The left is off the rails. It has become overly devoted to over correcting wrongs done to —well, no one born in this century— and is allowing diversity to trump unity. Fake news racism has been replaced with real racism toward white people.

[quote] If you don’t like being a minority, move to a country where you’re not. Fucking whiney bitches everywhere.

[quote] Teenage boy harassed by VisuWell CEO, Sam Johnson, for wearing a dress to prom The boy in the dress has a pathological need for attention.

[quote] Biden - “Don’t need wear a mask outdoors!” 😷 In West Hollywood, everyone is masked up outdoors, even if no one’s around. Fucking insanity.I am shocked! Reopen mental hospitals.

[quote] White people are scared. They’re being erased from film and tv and radio and commercials and print ads and magazine covers — even though they’re the majority population of this country. These. Are. Insane. Times. Fuck the diversity and representation naziis. Go live somewhere where you can be in the majority if you don’t like it here

[quote] SATC news: The Replacement for Kim Cattrall is..... I'm sorry, we were all in the middle of trying to survive a pandemic and a bunch of fucking lunatics are trying to redefine humanity? Shoot me. Sara is an unappealing, humorless, psychotic pawn in a pathetic scheme to force this non-binary/trans shit down our throats.

[quote] SATC news: The Replacement for Kim Cattrall is..... I went to an event at the Writers Guild where every writer was bending over backwards trying to figure out a way to include a trans/non-binary character in their potential storylines. IT WAS PURE FUCKING MADNESS. But this is where it starts: in Hollywood, which is so fucking out of touch with most Americans that nothing is doing that well. And no one DARES question the trans-insanity and be perceived as less-than-liberal and loving. So of course some asshole on the writing staff of this lame SATC reboot show is probably trans or non-binary and pushing this stupid storyline and MPK is bending over backwards to include it. (plus, Cynthia's whole life is a big genderfuck, between her butch life partner and trans child). The industry has gone off the fucking rails when it comes to "inclusion" and overcorrection in less than two years.

[quote] SATC news: The Replacement for Kim Cattrall is..... HBO was for rich white people. Now it’s going straight ghetto.

[quote] In the Heights disappoints with $11M opening weekend. The overemphasis on diversity in America -- especially everyone calming to be so special that's non-white -- has created too much division. People are actually losing interest in seeing something about another type of people -- It's like, oh, you wanna celebrate how different you are? great. Go do it But don't expect us to watch.

[quote] Gay man called homophobic slurs and then stabbed on NYC subway. But blacks are all innocent victims! Their great great great great great grandparents were slaves, after all! Meanwhile, they’re buying $500 sneakers on Melrose, texting on the newest iphone model, and driving leased Mercedes. But todays blacks are soooooo oppressed and victimized!

[quote] How Does Keegan-Michael Key Get So Much Work? I like him but the affirmative action boat is lifting many to higher levels than normal.

[quote] How Does Keegan-Michael Key Get So Much Work? Get Out was like a wayans brother watched The Stepford Wives, wrote a black satire of it that lazily matched it beat-4-beat, left out the humor, then won an original oscarfor it. So dumb. But only a discerning black person would get this. The rest still think OJ was innocent.

White supremacist Republican moron!

by Anonymousreply 51July 21, 2021 5:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!