Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Gay And Tennis - Wimbledon Week 2 (Possible) Part 2

Just started this as the previous thread appears to have been deleted (again!) Ignore if it's still active!

by Anonymousreply 415July 10, 2021 1:06 AM

Yay! I’m so happy. Thank you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1July 5, 2021 5:03 PM

Why the hell was the previous thread deleted?

by Anonymousreply 2July 5, 2021 5:09 PM

OP here. No idea. But Muriel's done this twice to recent threads. It's getting annoying. There should at least be a way of alerting regular andor paying posters what the problem is IMHO. I think by and large the Gays And Tennis community is light on trolls and the exchanges are usually respectful - no idea why there seems to be a problem.

Anyway back to the tennis. Hoping that Felix isn't going to let this one slide.

by Anonymousreply 3July 5, 2021 5:18 PM

At least, Coco is out. I wonder what Mary Joe is saying now....

by Anonymousreply 4July 5, 2021 5:51 PM

Is anybody still watching this?

I lost interest when Rafa said he wouldn’t participate. Then when Serena lost….

by Anonymousreply 5July 5, 2021 5:58 PM

Federer wins first set against Sonego. 7-5.

by Anonymousreply 6July 5, 2021 6:03 PM

Yeah, lots of people are are still watching this. Newsflash: not everyone only likes the players you like.

by Anonymousreply 7July 5, 2021 6:05 PM

No reason to watch now that I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 8July 5, 2021 6:06 PM

Bitch please! I'm playing later. Love and kisses, Emma (the NuGOAT)

by Anonymousreply 9July 5, 2021 6:08 PM

And Federer just broke Sonego (second set).

by Anonymousreply 10July 5, 2021 6:25 PM

Felix pulls it off! Just like in my fantasies...

by Anonymousreply 11July 5, 2021 6:48 PM

Hahaha R11, I have a feeling you are not the only one. Medvedev will finish his match tomorrow. This is pretty unfair for him, but ratings matter, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 12July 5, 2021 6:51 PM

So great to see Felix beat the beater!

by Anonymousreply 13July 5, 2021 6:52 PM

The poster who's always criticizing Felix has become mysteriously silent lately...

by Anonymousreply 14July 5, 2021 7:16 PM

Has Patrick Mouratoglou started coaching Raducanu yet?

by Anonymousreply 15July 5, 2021 7:26 PM

Radacanu and the fist pumps... gag

by Anonymousreply 16July 5, 2021 7:33 PM

thank you OP for the new thread.

really bizarre that the mods are deleting tennis threads now! Of all the threads on here, these are the least offensive on the whole site

by Anonymousreply 17July 5, 2021 7:36 PM

Radacanu has no game, she's a pusher. Tomljanovic is making enough errors to keep it interesting.

by Anonymousreply 18July 5, 2021 7:37 PM

Haha! Suck it Sascha!

Félix is only getting more confident.

by Anonymousreply 19July 5, 2021 7:38 PM

R18 = Coco

by Anonymousreply 20July 5, 2021 7:40 PM

Yay for Felix! I commented in the last thread - rooting Felix on and it almost immediately was deleted. Weird.

LOVED seeing Felix hold it together and finish the match.

by Anonymousreply 21July 5, 2021 7:41 PM

really unfair to Medvedev and Hurkacz that they won't let them finish on centre court. They're going to be the only match from rd16 not completed

So happy for FAA! I thought he was a goner after losing the third and fourth sets. I thought this was going to be an AO repeat like when he let Karatsev back into the match

I did think Sonego would have given Federer more of a challenge and would have won at least 1 set so it's surprising it only went 3

Fucsovics over Rublev was a surprise as they've met a few other times this year and all went Rublev's way comfortably.

I am shocked that Pliskova lived up to her seeding given her form this year.

Khachanov over Korda 10-8 in the 5th wow. I thought Khachanov would win in 4

The biggest surprise to me is Keys inexplicable loss to Golubic. This was a real chance for Madison to maybe win a slam.

by Anonymousreply 22July 5, 2021 7:41 PM

Are these cunts handcuffed to the baseline? Go in, do something at the net. FFS, so boring.

by Anonymousreply 23July 5, 2021 7:44 PM

Does it get any easier on the eyes than Felix and Matteo in the quarters?

by Anonymousreply 24July 5, 2021 7:45 PM

Barty looking good to get the final. She will definitely beat either of these girls.

by Anonymousreply 25July 5, 2021 7:48 PM

I want Federer to win.

by Anonymousreply 26July 5, 2021 7:51 PM

Who do we see making the final from the bottom half of the ladies draw? I haven't been watching as many matches this year.

by Anonymousreply 27July 5, 2021 7:53 PM

I think the winner of Sabalenka and Jabeur makes the final.

by Anonymousreply 28July 5, 2021 7:55 PM

just announced tomorrow's schedule. Medvedev and Hurkacz will open centre court while the other guys are resting!

I hope the winner of Sabalenka/Jabeur reaches the final and not awful Pliskova.

Jabeur has defeated 3 slam champs in a row-Venus, Muguruza and Swiatek

by Anonymousreply 29July 5, 2021 8:01 PM

I'm hoping Barty and Kerber reach the SF so we'll have an established champ in the final

by Anonymousreply 30July 5, 2021 8:01 PM

This girl is hyperventilating now.

by Anonymousreply 31July 5, 2021 8:04 PM

It would be better for Radacanu to lose now than to have Barty clean the court with her.

by Anonymousreply 32July 5, 2021 8:06 PM

What if the final is Muchova vs Golubic? Lol

by Anonymousreply 33July 5, 2021 8:08 PM

Zverev collapse is complete. All that is left to do is for him to lose in the first round of the USA Open and he will fall apart even more.

Is Mary Joseph Fernandez God Sick on suicide watch after Coco 🐐 lost today? If Gramps Fed loses in the quarters MJ will break down on air and Mirka will kill herself by suffocating herself with giant donuts.

by Anonymousreply 34July 5, 2021 8:09 PM

Take a Xanax, this isn't Juniors!

by Anonymousreply 35July 5, 2021 8:13 PM

She started losing and couldn't take it. She's somewhere bawling. Not ready for the tour, that's certain.

by Anonymousreply 36July 5, 2021 8:15 PM

LOSER

by Anonymousreply 37July 5, 2021 8:18 PM

R33 omg please don't lol

by Anonymousreply 38July 5, 2021 8:18 PM

We all poke at Coco because the media hypes her up BUT she's never hyperventilated herself out of a Slam like this. She's tough for her age, let's at least give her credit for that.

by Anonymousreply 39July 5, 2021 8:21 PM

Coco is too busy smashing her rackets in rage and crying after her losses to hyperventilate.

by Anonymousreply 40July 5, 2021 8:43 PM

ICoco is very talented. She's already had a better career than most tennis pros and she's not even 18. I think in the next 2 years she'll win a slam but Kerber is a good loss. Kerber has suddenly found her form again which is nice to see

by Anonymousreply 41July 5, 2021 8:44 PM

Why the fuck are the useless Brit media acting as if Raducanu actually had a shot at winning Wimbledon? How is it "a great tournament" for her after a lame ass loss like that in the fourth round?

by Anonymousreply 42July 5, 2021 8:44 PM

Surprised nobody's mentioned what a pompous ass Becker is as a commentator.

by Anonymousreply 43July 5, 2021 8:53 PM

Rather listen to Becker than Chris Fowler

by Anonymousreply 44July 5, 2021 8:55 PM

Yeah. I was pissed when Becker let out a little snicker when Felix hit the net and lost his first serve at match point. Fucker.

by Anonymousreply 45July 5, 2021 8:57 PM

That's the faintest of praise, R44.

by Anonymousreply 46July 5, 2021 8:59 PM

How many brats is Becker paying child support for? Wasn't he bankrupt a few years ago?

by Anonymousreply 47July 5, 2021 9:08 PM

clearly Becker had a bias for Zverev

so glad FAA knocked him out

by Anonymousreply 48July 5, 2021 9:12 PM

becker is not really broke, he hid his money but not very well...he was found out. dumb cunt.

by Anonymousreply 49July 5, 2021 9:30 PM

Shapo v Karen is pretty easy on the eye, too

by Anonymousreply 50July 5, 2021 9:34 PM

what is wrong with that girl? stomach pains? breathing problems...the kids today are so weak!

by Anonymousreply 51July 5, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote]Why the fuck are the useless Brit media acting as if Raducanu actually had a shot at winning Wimbledon? How is it "a great tournament" for her after a lame ass loss like that in the fourth round?

The Brits are that desperate for someone to cheer for. They thought they had a new, pretty pony in Radacanu but she's a total headcase. Back to the drawing board

by Anonymousreply 52July 5, 2021 9:36 PM

Does Emma have COVID? I wonder, with those symptons.

Fed's opponent in the QF having to play tomorrow when they could finished on CC smacks of another Tony Gosdick visit to the scheduling office with a bag of cash.

by Anonymousreply 53July 5, 2021 9:37 PM

Well there are days that I can't find the court but I've never hyperventilated on it.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 54July 5, 2021 9:40 PM

Poor kid. The stomach issue could be psychosomatic? I don't know much about these things - are stomach injuries a thing in tennis?

by Anonymousreply 55July 5, 2021 10:42 PM

Fed at the USO when Felix was just a few weeks old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56July 6, 2021 1:51 AM

3 key stats of the day:

Zverev served 20 double faults!

Khachanov broke Korda 10 times and Korda broke Khachanov 9 times! That never happens in a men's match

Golubic had a 28-9 winner-unforced errors deferential. Very surprising but her lack of errors explains how keys managed to lose to her

by Anonymousreply 57July 6, 2021 3:46 AM

I’ll perform the duties here given that no one beyond Ben and Courtney care:

Ova, Plisk team or Golubic team?

Ova, Much team or Kerber team?

Jabeur team or Sabalenka team?

Barty team or Tomljanovic team?

by Anonymousreply 58July 6, 2021 3:53 AM

I'll "oh, dear" myself

that should be differential haha

by Anonymousreply 59July 6, 2021 4:13 AM

Yay Felix over wifebeater (even though he can't wear one at Wimbledon). They aired a nice lingering shot of him changing his shirt between games, too. Woof.

by Anonymousreply 60July 6, 2021 4:27 AM

I iz happy. Look at goldun leg hair, the gays!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61July 6, 2021 4:33 AM

I'm Canadian and find Shapo's game entertaining and he has a certain youthful charisma. But even though the new haircut is a revelation, he's still pretty average looking (though fitness and youth is attractive). (Also I might be a bit squeamish about skin tags.) Also, he's a bit thick around the middle.

by Anonymousreply 62July 6, 2021 4:39 AM

(and sure, just thick in general, but really, what do you want from athletes?)

by Anonymousreply 63July 6, 2021 4:40 AM

Itz spelled thicc.

by Anonymousreply 64July 6, 2021 4:42 AM

Shapo only looks good with the headband, he looks weird with it off, he is getting strange tan line from it

by Anonymousreply 65July 6, 2021 5:08 AM

very interesting question in Shapovalov's presser today. He said some of his motivation comes from people not believing in him and then referenced a range of doubters from comments he reads on social media to the claim that he didn't get enough support from the Canadian tennis federation and instead most of training was funded by whatever money his parents could make. He sounded like he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. I had no idea about his feelings towards Canadian tennis officials. All I remember is when he first came on tour he was highly touted as a contender for big titles

by Anonymousreply 66July 6, 2021 7:40 AM

I am so happy Zverev. He will inevitably will a GS but I hope Tsitsipas or the Russians will do it before him.

by Anonymousreply 67July 6, 2021 7:43 AM

^Zverev lost*

by Anonymousreply 68July 6, 2021 7:44 AM

Sasha will not win any Grand Slam unless he come out of the closet

Closet is ruining Sasha and Domi mental health.

by Anonymousreply 69July 6, 2021 9:24 AM

Shapo was zoning against RBA yesterday. When he's on his game is a thing of beauty like Stan's. His shots are so precise, flowing and beautiful. Very happy for FAA who showed grit and will yesterday. He also has GREAT legs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70July 6, 2021 10:44 AM

GolumBitch, KerbCrawler, JabHappy and BartyParty Teams, thanks for asking!

by Anonymousreply 71July 6, 2021 11:54 AM

Pliskbot will likely get to the semis. Ugh, hate her game. Hard to see Golubic beating her. How the hell did Golubic get this far?

by Anonymousreply 72July 6, 2021 12:25 PM

please dont compare shapo to stan

by Anonymousreply 73July 6, 2021 12:35 PM

Hubie takes Medvedev into a 5th and goes a break up. My heart wants Hurcacz, but head tells me Medvvedev progressing would be better to prevent another NoVaxxx vs Gramps final.

by Anonymousreply 74July 6, 2021 12:56 PM

How much is Danil being paid to throw this match?

by Anonymousreply 75July 6, 2021 12:57 PM

I’ve never been a big Pliskophile, but given the remains of the draw, I’d be pleased to see her finally notch a championship win here.

by Anonymousreply 76July 6, 2021 1:09 PM

Yes, Hurkacz takes out Medvedev in 5! Not a Medvedev fan, but Medvedev didn't play that well today whereas Hurkacz took very good care of his serve.

by Anonymousreply 77July 6, 2021 1:16 PM

Well, Roger just orgasmed.

by Anonymousreply 78July 6, 2021 1:17 PM

Med out. I hope FAA or Berrettini take out Gramps in the semi. The AELTC will try their best to somehow ensure a win for Gramps though.

by Anonymousreply 79July 6, 2021 1:18 PM

Federer must be so happy right now: Medvedev lost to Hurkacz and Hurkacz will have to play tomorrow after having played five sets over two days. So in essence Federer is going to meet someone on the edge of physical and mental burn-out.

by Anonymousreply 80July 6, 2021 1:18 PM

Mary Berry sighting at Wimbledon during Hubie's interview. He basically admitted he has no strategy to play Federer, so Fed must be thrilled.

by Anonymousreply 81July 6, 2021 1:21 PM

Hubie is so Goddamn Nice in interviews he could almost be taking in a mild whiff of cookies...

by Anonymousreply 82July 6, 2021 1:22 PM

I wish the match hadn’t been fucked up by the scheduling. I wanted Med but can’t be disappointed because Hubie is so damn likable.

by Anonymousreply 83July 6, 2021 1:23 PM

Hubie is like the very tall, very nice, boy next door. He's cute.

by Anonymousreply 84July 6, 2021 1:32 PM

Will Pliskobot finally win a slam? Her game works great on grass.

by Anonymousreply 85July 6, 2021 1:34 PM

The AELTC must be regretting having the roof on Court One. Otherwise they would have deliberately put the Djoko and FAA matches on that court to force delays and give Gramps the advantage.

by Anonymousreply 86July 6, 2021 1:38 PM

[quote] Will Pliskobot finally win a slam? Her game works great on grass.

When Krejcikova came out of nowhere to win Roland Garros I did wonder if that would inspire Pliskbot to get her act together and win Wimbledon or the USA Open this year.

by Anonymousreply 87July 6, 2021 1:41 PM

They'll probably schedule Gramps and Hubie first to give Hubie as little rest as possible.

by Anonymousreply 88July 6, 2021 1:57 PM

True that. Nothing is too low or petty for the AELTC.

by Anonymousreply 89July 6, 2021 2:05 PM

Mons Jabeur is looking exhausted already. Hard to imagine she’s got enough gas to win it in three sets.

by Anonymousreply 90July 6, 2021 2:21 PM

Sabalenka is a she-beast. Not a fan of her mindless ball bashing, but damn, it's effective.

by Anonymousreply 91July 6, 2021 2:21 PM

There's such a frantic quality to Sabalenka's tennis that makes it hard to get behind her. That and the screaming.

by Anonymousreply 92July 6, 2021 2:24 PM

Medvedev says he was asked by the referee if he was ok to finish the match today instead of being moved after Federer's match, and he said yes. Didn't want to wait as RF was only in the first set. About today: just says he played really bad.

So we can not blame AELTC.

It is all on Danil

by Anonymousreply 93July 6, 2021 2:25 PM

Loving this Wimbledon on the men's side more than most in the last decade--great to see FAA, Hurkacz and Berrettini reaching their best Wimby results while ousting some ATP villains.

by Anonymousreply 94July 6, 2021 2:34 PM

Good on Med for not making excuses. He did seem off.

by Anonymousreply 95July 6, 2021 2:35 PM

I thought the Jabeur Sabalenka match would be more competitive

by Anonymousreply 96July 6, 2021 3:01 PM

The Kerber-Muchova match was terrible. Complete unforced error-fest with Kerber winning in straights. At least with Sabalenka-Jabeur, it was filled with winners, mostly coming off Sabalenka's racket.

by Anonymousreply 97July 6, 2021 3:12 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98July 6, 2021 4:05 PM

It was later revealed the Bromley teenager had suffered issues with her breathing during the match. But her father, Ian Raducanu, later suggested that the competitiveness of the tournament may have been in a factor.

Raducanu tweeted today: 'Hi guys, I wanted to let everyone know that I'm feeling much better this morning. First up I want to congratulate Ajla on an incredible performance and I'm sorry our match ended the way it did.

'I was playing the best tennis of my life in front of an amazing crowd this week and I think the whole experience caught up with me. At the end of the first set, after some super intense rallies, I started to breathe heavily and felt dizzy.

by Anonymousreply 99July 6, 2021 4:06 PM

'The medical team advised me not to continue and, although it felt like the hardest thing in the world not to be able to finish my Wimbledon on the court, I was not well enough to carry on.

'I want to thank the people who have cheered me on every single match, I wanted to win so badly for you! I also want to thank the All England CLub, my team, the LTA, my parents and friends.

'Last night will go a long way to helping me learn what it takes to perform at the top. I will cherish everything we have achieved together this week and come back stronger. Can't wait to see what's next on my journey.'

Speaking to the BBC today, Raducanu said: 'I'm doing well thank you for asking.

'I'm feeling a lot better this morning so I'm just glad to have recovered this quickly.

'I think in the moment on Court One the atmosphere was once again incredible to play in front of, I'm obviously very disappointed to not finish the match.

'I really really wanted to compete and try my best but the medical advice was to pull out and yes I followed it because I think their advice was the best in the end.

'I found it very difficult to regulate my breathing. It was emphasised by some very long rallies that we had towards the end of the first set which made it tough for me to keep my composure and the breathing in check.

'And then at the beginning of the second set was when I struggled with it the most and I called the trainer on and made the decision at the end of the changeover.

'I don't know what caused it. I think it was a combination of everything that has gone on behind the scenes in the last week and an accumulation of the excitement, the buzz, and I think it's a great learning experience for me going forward, it's a great step forward.

'Now next time hopefully I will be better prepared.'

Raducanu revealed that prior to her Court One appearance, she had only played in front of about 100 people, as she dubbed her Wimbledon experience 'the best week of my life'.

She added: 'I think it was a new experience playing under the roof with the lights.

'It was definitely louder, it was a bit hotter. So just to settle in at the beginning, I think both of us had a bit of a nervy start but I think we started to play our way in.

'And there was a close game, four all, I had a couple of break points. Once again the crowd was amazing. They were completely behind me and I'm so so grateful.

by Anonymousreply 100July 6, 2021 4:07 PM

The player went on: 'I've had the best time of my life. This whole week has just been absolutely incredible. I've never felt support like it.

'I'm just so so grateful for every single person who cheered me on during the matches and all of the messages I have received via social media.

'I just would just like to thank absolutely everyone who got in touch and supported me in the last week.'

Mr Harris, head of tennis at the Bromley Tennis Centre, who coached Raducanu for a year of her remarkable rise, said he and her family are confident she would overcome this hurdle and rise above the current furore.

He told MailOnline: 'Emma's aware that in professional sport there will be times when you encounter things that are unexpected and uncomfortable and it's how you deal with them.

'I think this was a 'sideways step' and she will come back stronger.'

Mr Harris, who had watched the last 16 game with her parents, said: 'Both Ian and and Renee were disappointed with what happened last night but disappointed for her more than anything because they know how hard she worked to go on this amazing run.

'But talking to her father at Wimbledon last night, he was confident that she would bounce back.'

Ranked 338th in the world at the start of the tournament, Raducanu, who only recently completed her A-level exams, exceeded expectations as she became the youngest British female to make it into the second week at Wimbledon since Christine Truman in 1959.

Yet Mr Harris said she would have been 'desperately keen' to carry on her second set if she could have done so.

He said he did not believe pressure was a major factor in her pulling out but did concede that her big tournament inexperience and fatigue may have played a part.

by Anonymousreply 101July 6, 2021 4:08 PM

He said: 'Her stamina and agility are second to none and she would have been mortified to have to throw the towel in but it's a decision she would've taken with her team.

'I texted Ian this morning and asked how things were. He's a guy who keeps things close to his chest and all he said was 'everything's ok, she's fine.

'Personally I don't think it was that she couldn't handle the pressure, she's extremely tough mentally as well as physically.

'But she did look a little pale when she came on to court, she did appear to be off-colour from where I was sitting.

'You have to remember, though, that yesterday was the third top-50 player she has played in succession and to maintain that level of tennis both physically and mentally is exhausting. And she isn't used to that yet.

'Also there was a big delay in when her match was due to start. We thought she'd be on about 4.30pm but it wasn't until 8pm that she got started. That's a lot of time and the anxiety grows and grows.

'What does she do nutrition-wise in that time? Does she have a snack, does she have a larger meal? These are all decisions that she hasn't had to make yet at this level.

'Was it indigestion? I can't say for sure, it would be totally speculative. She was hyperventilating at one point and also holding her stomach so it could have also been an abdominal muscle strain or tear but I'm not convinced of that to be honest.'

MailOnline revealed yesterday how Raducanu and her father, who works in finance, would often play tennis in the quiet cul-de-sac outside their home in the leafy South London suburb of Bromley.

They were seen by neighbours knocking balls back and forth during lockdown to keep her concentration levels up for Wimbledon.

Paying tribute to her parents, Mr Harris said: 'Her father doesn't play tennis but his depth of knowledge of the sport is incredible and I think Emma has inherited her parents intellect, which has enabled her to keep in perspective what is going on around her.

'When Emma was training here, Ian would actually be courtside and that's something I'd actively encourage. He wanted to understand the psychology, the technical development it takes to play tennis at this level.

'That's why he goes out into their cul-de-sac with her to knock some balls about. There isn't anything he can really do technically but he knows that by having a few rallies with her it helps maintain her eye and hand co-ordination.

'Both Ian and Renee have devoted so much to their daughter's career and they've been key to keeping her grounded and aware of the pitfalls that professional sport at the highest level can bring.

'What happens to Emma from now on? Who knows. But this is a great step. You don't get to where Emma is at the moment overnight, she's been playing since she was six-years-old and has honed her raw talent with hours and hours of hard work and determination. We are all fully behind her.'

There was no reply at Raducanu's semi-detached home today, although neighbour Dave Moore, 74, added: 'It was such a shame about how she went out the way she did but she can hold her head up high. She's done everyone in the cul-de-sac proud.'

Mr Raducanu, who along with Emma's mother, Renee, appeared visibly disappointed as he watched from the stands yesterday, told the Telegraph: 'I think it's the level.'

The father did not clarify if he meant mental or physical, though when asked if it was nerves, he replied: 'Who knows?' But he said he was 'proud, as many people are' of his daughter's Wimbledon run.

by Anonymousreply 102July 6, 2021 4:09 PM

Raducanu had become the nation's last hope of success at Wimbledon after British superstar Sir Andy Murray crashed out last week.

US tennis legend John McEnroe suggested 'it got a bit too much' for Raducanu after he told presenter Clare Balding that she buckled under the pressure and got 'emotional'.

He was facing a Twitter backlash for making 'completely inappropriate' comments about Raducanu's health yesterday.

McEnroe said: 'I feel bad for Emma, I mean obviously it got - it appears it got a bit too much, as is understandable, particularly what we've been talking about for the last six weeks.

'How much can players handle? It makes you look at the guys that have been around and the girls for so long, how well they can handle it.

'These guys that can keep their composure and the girls out there are absolutely amazing - so we have to appreciate the players that are able to do it so well and hopefully she will learn from this experience.'

Sitting beside McEnroe, ex-British No1 Annabel Croft said: 'I think she will cope with it very well, and I think it's about not reading anything, not looking too much at your phone.

'I hear (Rafael) Nadal talking about it time and time again when he refers to youngsters coming through.

'He always says... it's about the team keeping her feet on the ground and just working every day as she has since she was a little girl to try to be a better tennis player every day.'

Laura Robson, the ex-British No1 who reached the fourth round at the age of 19 in 2013, added: 'Perhaps the pressure has caught up with her. It's part of being a Brit at Wimbledon.'

The surprise retirement may also now spark a backlash towards Wimbledon, who controversially abandoned its usual policy of scheduling all the women's fourth rounds no later than second on the programme.

This has been done in the past on the second Monday to ensure fairness in terms of rest, as the female quarter finals are played on Tuesday.

Instead, Raducanu's game was put in the prime early evening slot, giving more fans and viewers the chance to watch someone who has enchanted the All England Club as the fresh new face of British tennis.

Such a prime-time match is a big step-up for Raducanu, who has played sparingly in the professional game.

Her relatively sparse outings have mostly come in remote outposts of the sport in small tournaments with a smattering of spectators.

by Anonymousreply 103July 6, 2021 4:12 PM

Is Coco a budding baby lez? I get a butchy vibe and that Barry White baritone voice is a dead giveaway.

by Anonymousreply 104July 6, 2021 4:24 PM

The Brit players are such weak, whiny little things.

by Anonymousreply 105July 6, 2021 4:25 PM

If the ladies final is Barty v Plishkova, I wouldn't be mad about it. Those two are playing the best.

This is a rather sad showing by Tomljanovic.

by Anonymousreply 106July 6, 2021 4:32 PM

Barty Team

by Anonymousreply 107July 6, 2021 4:52 PM

It's crazy Kerber is so good right now. She has struggled so much the past year I thought her best days were done.

by Anonymousreply 108July 6, 2021 5:22 PM

R108, they were talking about that on the latest episode of the Tennis Podcast. They said there’d been rumors swirling that Kerber was going to retire and now she’s playing some of the best tennis at Wimbledon.

by Anonymousreply 109July 6, 2021 5:26 PM

Cause she is also 33 and her game relies on really good movement. I've noticed she looks trimmer and fitter than she has in awhile. Near the fitness she had in 2016 which is probably making the biggest difference for her.

by Anonymousreply 110July 6, 2021 5:31 PM

These were fairly comfortable wins. Hope the semis are 3 set battles. It seems close. Not sure who makes the final. Kerber wont make it easy for Barty and Pliskova/Sabalenka seem evenly matched.

by Anonymousreply 111July 6, 2021 5:34 PM

Am I so wrong to be day-dreaming about being spit roasted (spat roast?) by Mektic and Pavic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112July 6, 2021 5:38 PM

How Naomi Osaka will handle the press for her tennis return at Olympics

After pulling out of several tournaments citing her battle with depression and anxiety, tennis star Naomi Osaka said she wants to compete at the Tokyo Olympics and plans to participate in press conferences.

Osaka recently told Japan’s national broadcaster NHK that she was gearing up to play on her home turf at the 2021 Olympics. In the message published by the broadcaster, Osaka said she would take part in news conferences while giving consideration to her mental health.

“I am preparing myself little by little so I can be at the top of my game for the Olympics,” she wrote, per AFP.

“Since getting the attention of the world, I’ve always had bouts of anxiety. This is especially the case in the lead up to big competitions.”

The world No. 2 withdrew from the French Open after controversy erupted following her announcement to not attend press conferences after matches. The 23-year-old then pulled out of Wimbledon as well. Osaka said post-match media availabilities were detrimental to her mental health before later announcing on social media that she needed to step away from the game to focus on her battle with depression and anxiety.

Stuart Duguid, Osaka’s agent, said his client had withdrawn from the Berlin WTA 500, a tournament that is seen as a tune-up for Wimbledon, to spend time with friends and family. But he assured Osaka was “excited to play in front of her home fans” at the Tokyo Olympics.

Osaka, who was fined $15,000 and threatened with disqualification from Roland Garros for not honoring her media commitment, ignited a debate about mental health. French Open officials claimed they had treated Osaka with “care and respect” after they were accused of being too harsh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113July 6, 2021 5:47 PM

McEnroe says it’s stress and emotions getting the best of her and people freak the fuck out. Will they all apologize now that she has admitted it was just that? Somehow I do not think so…

I’m on Team Barty - Go Ash!

Also - Mate and Nikola = 🔥🔥🔥 You are not alone r112

by Anonymousreply 114July 6, 2021 5:59 PM

I know, that useless cunt Tomljanovic said Johnny Mac's comments were too "harsh"

Sad, little weaklings...

by Anonymousreply 115July 6, 2021 6:06 PM

When I read what Ajla said I was like - You suck up! Trying to make the Brits like u…

by Anonymousreply 116July 6, 2021 6:11 PM

That Peloton Angie got has really paid off.

by Anonymousreply 117July 6, 2021 6:12 PM

Taking a breather between sets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118July 6, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote] I've noticed she looks trimmer and fitter than she has in awhile.

Those words mean nothing to me. In addition has anyone considered that I had a baby?

by Anonymousreply 119July 6, 2021 6:49 PM

If Sabalenka can keep her nerves under control, Pluskova will have a very hard time of it to win their semi. Barty and Kerber seems to be the more interesting semi, though. They can both bring nerves of steel to the court on a good day, which would make for some fantastic, strategy-based cat-and-mouse rallies. Just the sort of tennis that used to be the norm on the WTA tour before lazy coaches worked out that the quickest way to a fat bank account was to turn any bright young thing into a mindless ball-bashing metronome.

I’m actually looking forward to these semis.

by Anonymousreply 120July 6, 2021 6:55 PM

R120 yeah it's two craftier players vs 2 big hitters

by Anonymousreply 121July 6, 2021 7:07 PM

Wednesday eye candy match - K. Hemsworth team or Shapo team?

Nole team or Fucksovics team?

Eye candy match II: Berreteami or FAA team?

Gramps team or Hurkacz team?

by Anonymousreply 122July 6, 2021 7:08 PM

Karen, Fucks, HoobieDoo Teams.

Totally split down the middle between Matteo and Felix.

by Anonymousreply 123July 6, 2021 7:12 PM

Shapo, Nole and FAA are not eye candies

by Anonymousreply 124July 6, 2021 7:14 PM

OH NO NO~! Coco out in doubs. She gave the stink eye to McNally, while CoCo missed 2 easy volleys in the last game. CoCo will be dumping the white girl, mark my word. Her glum parents sat in the friends box, totally unmoved by the match. I guess Patrick Morgabooboo can't be bothered to watch CC play doubles.

by Anonymousreply 125July 6, 2021 7:23 PM

R124, I don’t think anyone has indicated Nole is eye candy. Many here consider Shapo and FAA eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 126July 6, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote]Many here consider Shapo and FAA eye candy.

Absolutely. I'm in.

by Anonymousreply 127July 6, 2021 7:34 PM

Condolences on your lack of taste, R124.

by Anonymousreply 128July 6, 2021 7:41 PM

'not eye-candy'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129July 6, 2021 7:44 PM

Does anyone think Fed is hot? Waaaayyy too Fem.

by Anonymousreply 130July 6, 2021 7:45 PM

A boy can dream, R123...

by Anonymousreply 131July 6, 2021 7:58 PM

Shapo, Fucks, Hubie Team.

I'll be happy with either FAA or Matteo.

by Anonymousreply 132July 6, 2021 9:09 PM

[quote]Does anyone think Fed is hot? Waaaayyy too Fem.

Gifted tennis player, but typical emasculated married straight male.

by Anonymousreply 133July 6, 2021 11:02 PM

jezz, kubot melo had 4 break points in 3rd set and they had to win their serve only to win it all. they are fucked up

by Anonymousreply 134July 6, 2021 11:10 PM

Can the deranged anti-Coco loon take a chill pill please?

by Anonymousreply 135July 6, 2021 11:11 PM

I'd prefer if the Barty/Kerber winner wins the title. Anyone but Pliskova though. She's so dull

interesting how the men's QF matches, each has 1 player who went 5 sets and 1 who won in straights

by Anonymousreply 136July 7, 2021 1:07 AM

R133 'practice partners' in Saudi Arabia would disagree.

by Anonymousreply 137July 7, 2021 1:45 AM

R93, that’s the problem with Medvedev, though: he has his tantrums, but he accepts things. There’s something wrong with that: there’s just no fire there, none whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 138July 7, 2021 2:21 AM

Mary Joe at R135, why don't you go and polish your Grand Slam winner trophies for a bit? Oh wait.

by Anonymousreply 139July 7, 2021 6:12 AM

Emma hasn't got that hard core like me. She never learned to roll with the punches. And, believe me, at Wimbledon they come left, right and below the belt.

by Anonymousreply 140July 7, 2021 10:46 AM

lovely interview with lovely Matteo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141July 7, 2021 10:53 AM

I watched all the Berrettini matches and he's been in a Djokovic-like zen state, very focused and not expending any extra energy. If he gets to the final he'll be tough to beat. He saw Tittypass and Mussetti take 2 sets off Novak , I'm sure he thinks he could take 3. I think he's the only player who really believes he can win.

OTOH if Djokovic wins the final, the GOAT discussion is all but over.

Here's an 18yo Brazilian Junior that we can look forward to seeing in the future.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142July 7, 2021 11:34 AM

I sort of get the love/lust for Berrettini (even though I think he’s got a weird, box-like body, and no calves to speak of), but the real Italian lust-machine is Simone Bolelli (who’s playing in the doubles quarters on court 12 right now).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143July 7, 2021 12:05 PM

Marton is going to get shellacked by Novaxx, but, God, he has an unbelievable body. At least he'll have that to console himself.

by Anonymousreply 144July 7, 2021 12:57 PM

Karen's released The Kraken in Set 2!

by Anonymousreply 145July 7, 2021 1:07 PM

Team Berrettini, team Shap O’Valov

by Anonymousreply 146July 7, 2021 1:07 PM

Fucsovics is so fit. body is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 147July 7, 2021 1:19 PM

R147 yes, fit and nice not too big butt

by Anonymousreply 148July 7, 2021 1:25 PM

Nice to see big audience without masks. I will try to go and see next year.

by Anonymousreply 149July 7, 2021 1:26 PM

Pavic & Mektic hug

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150July 7, 2021 1:37 PM

Shapo is going to win QF.

He is way too strong and a bit more consistent than Keren Hemsworth.

by Anonymousreply 151July 7, 2021 1:39 PM

Good to see Fucks making a match of this.

by Anonymousreply 152July 7, 2021 1:45 PM

Can't stand Shapovalov with his CONSTANT "come on!" and fist pumping on every damn point. Settle down, moron.

by Anonymousreply 153July 7, 2021 1:50 PM

R147 = Cames Jourier

by Anonymousreply 154July 7, 2021 1:50 PM

he has a fiancee, stop dreaming

by Anonymousreply 155July 7, 2021 2:04 PM

I really want to eat Shapovalov’s ass.

by Anonymousreply 156July 7, 2021 2:10 PM

I’m sure there are plenty of dingleberries for you to enjoy

by Anonymousreply 157July 7, 2021 2:50 PM

Fucsovics is out, and so are Novak's boobs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158July 7, 2021 3:03 PM

Berrittini has a beautiful face his lower body needs work tho

by Anonymousreply 159July 7, 2021 3:23 PM

Denis looking extra furry and cute today.

by Anonymousreply 160July 7, 2021 3:30 PM

R155 = frau

by Anonymousreply 161July 7, 2021 3:30 PM

Denis' nips poking through just now.

by Anonymousreply 162July 7, 2021 3:38 PM

Shapo advances.

by Anonymousreply 163July 7, 2021 3:39 PM

God. Could they have chosen a worse duo than Gilbert and Fowler to call the Fed match?

by Anonymousreply 164July 7, 2021 3:43 PM

I have a feeling Fed will lose this; he's just slower now. But it really bugs me that Hurkacz keeps hitting his shoes with his racquet - this is grass, not clay!

by Anonymousreply 165July 7, 2021 3:47 PM

I am watching some mixed double.....Bopanna has aged a lot. I haven't seen him in a long time

by Anonymousreply 166July 7, 2021 3:55 PM

Well, Gramps is going to have to play at least four sets.

by Anonymousreply 167July 7, 2021 3:56 PM

I hope Gramps loses just so that it will piss off the shameless, biased, racist cunts at the AELTC who are openly showing favoritism towards Gramps.

by Anonymousreply 168July 7, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote] , biased, racist cunts at the AELTC who are openly showing favoritism towards Gramps.

Biased I can see, but racist? By favoring Federer they’re being racist against Djokovic, Shapo, Hurkacz who are European or of European descent?

by Anonymousreply 169July 7, 2021 4:15 PM

Federer shanks backhand after backhand. Sad. Or maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 170July 7, 2021 4:24 PM

Gramps does not have any kind of backhand today. The backhand volley has especially let him down.

by Anonymousreply 171July 7, 2021 4:39 PM

Wimbleton

by Anonymousreply 172July 7, 2021 4:43 PM

Yes, Hubie! Foot on Gramps's neck. Now squeeze!

by Anonymousreply 173July 7, 2021 4:44 PM

Hurkacz BELIEVES

Impressive that he fought his way back into that set and then won it.

by Anonymousreply 174July 7, 2021 4:44 PM

Gramps has to do it in 5 now to win. Not sure he can.

by Anonymousreply 175July 7, 2021 4:47 PM

Guys, this could be the last Fed match at Wimbledon.

by Anonymousreply 176July 7, 2021 4:48 PM

Fed is toast. No way is he coming back from two sets to none down. And Hurkacz is playing within himself.

by Anonymousreply 177July 7, 2021 4:50 PM

[quote] And Hurkacz is playing within himself.

I misread that.

by Anonymousreply 178July 7, 2021 4:53 PM

Have they had to resuscitate Mary Joe?

by Anonymousreply 179July 7, 2021 4:56 PM

oooh, and Hurkacz breaks. Federer has precious few chances left.

by Anonymousreply 180July 7, 2021 5:00 PM

Bagel Gramps back into oblivion!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181July 7, 2021 5:01 PM

This is his penance for punking out on the French.

by Anonymousreply 182July 7, 2021 5:03 PM

serves him right

by Anonymousreply 183July 7, 2021 5:04 PM

He's actually going to get bageled, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 184July 7, 2021 5:07 PM

Oh, that that idiot Shapo would behave more like Hubie. Watching Hubie, you can't even tell he is winning. Love him.

by Anonymousreply 185July 7, 2021 5:08 PM

I think he might, R184. He's not moving well this set.

by Anonymousreply 186July 7, 2021 5:08 PM

Federer has a Hubert voodoo doll ready to stick pins in afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 187July 7, 2021 5:10 PM

verdammt, no dessert tonight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188July 7, 2021 5:11 PM

DING DONG THE WITCH IS DEAD!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 189July 7, 2021 5:12 PM

WOW

Good for this Pole

by Anonymousreply 190July 7, 2021 5:12 PM

Fed fan here, but this is how it should be. These younger guys should be beating a nearly 40-year old guy who has been out due to two knee surgeries for over a year. If only the young guys can start taking out Nadal and Djokovic more routinely as well.

by Anonymousreply 191July 7, 2021 5:14 PM

Hubie would be like The Nicest Boyfriend Ever!

by Anonymousreply 192July 7, 2021 5:16 PM

Hubi is so cute.

by Anonymousreply 193July 7, 2021 5:16 PM

I want Hubie to make it into the final.

by Anonymousreply 194July 7, 2021 5:16 PM

R191 Djokovic's time will come. This will be him in about 3 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 195July 7, 2021 5:17 PM

Hubert seems sweet, I like him.

by Anonymousreply 196July 7, 2021 5:17 PM

Yeah! A bagel to close out prissy, pissy Gramps. Is Mary Joe on suicide watch? First Coco GOAT gets bundled out in straight sets by Angie Kerber who is on the brink of retirement. And now Grampy Priss gets thrashed in straight sets including a bagel!

by Anonymousreply 197July 7, 2021 5:18 PM

I wonder if Nole will retire before he starts getting beat like this.

by Anonymousreply 198July 7, 2021 5:18 PM

If Djokovic keeps playing like he has been he will probably surpass Federer's record.

by Anonymousreply 199July 7, 2021 5:23 PM

Huber seems so sweet and humble…I love him

by Anonymousreply 200July 7, 2021 5:27 PM

Obviously he is 1 away from equaling it. I think Djokovic ends up with 25 slams.

by Anonymousreply 201July 7, 2021 5:29 PM

So glad the egomaniac lost. Now get those Rolex commercials off the air, with the pretentious British announcer acting breathless as he calls Fed the most beloved player of all time. As Hubie and Rog were coming on court, Hubie stood outside the doors with a huge grin on his face, while Rog fixed his headband and stood at the mirror. I kinda had the feeling Hubert believed and Rog looked afraid.

by Anonymousreply 202July 7, 2021 5:31 PM

[quote] So glad the egomaniac lost. Now get those Rolex commercials off the air, with the pretentious British announcer acting breathless as he calls Fed the most beloved player of all time.

Oh yeah, those are awful.

by Anonymousreply 203July 7, 2021 5:34 PM

R198, I think both Nadal and Djokovic are silently vowing to leave before this happens to them. But it must be incredibly hard. Federer did have that one additional slam in him when he was 38.

by Anonymousreply 204July 7, 2021 5:37 PM

Nole could have #20 right now if he hadn't been thrown out of the US Open last year. I wonder how much he thinks about that.

by Anonymousreply 205July 7, 2021 5:38 PM

Wrong about that, sorry, he was 35.

by Anonymousreply 206July 7, 2021 5:39 PM

Not today Satan

by Anonymousreply 207July 7, 2021 5:43 PM

We're guaranteed that three of the four semi-finalists are 25 or under. We need to start seeing more and more of this.

by Anonymousreply 208July 7, 2021 5:45 PM

Also, there's no way that Nole retires before Rafa unless he has some career-ending injury.

But I see him make one last gallant run at his "home" Slam (AO) and then retiring on his own terms a la Sampras.

by Anonymousreply 209July 7, 2021 5:46 PM

Wow, Djokovic is two matches away from being the one and only GOAT.

by Anonymousreply 210July 7, 2021 5:51 PM

he wil have 20 just like nadal and fed. UO will be 21th

by Anonymousreply 211July 7, 2021 5:59 PM

FAA has real chance to win this match as Matteo looks tentative on his serves. Matter is needing lot of time to hold his serve.

FAA OTOH playing freely.

He should not let this golden opportunity slip.

Not only for this match but for reaching final too.

by Anonymousreply 212July 7, 2021 6:07 PM

[quote] But I see him make one last gallant run at his "home" Slam (AO)

Why is that his “‘home’ Slam”?

by Anonymousreply 213July 7, 2021 6:09 PM

It's not only the US Open that should give Djokovic some thinking, it's the fact that for two years and a half he totally lost his way and blindly followed the precepts of a self-proclaimed guru, Pepe. It was all about [italic]love[/italic] and tennis was just an afterthought.

by Anonymousreply 214July 7, 2021 6:27 PM

Court central after Federer loses any point...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215July 7, 2021 6:39 PM

Novaxx could have won number 20 already if Wimbledon hadn't been canceled last year. That and his deserved disqualification from last year's USA Open must really piss him off.

by Anonymousreply 216July 7, 2021 6:47 PM

Fun fact: Berrentini's girlfriend and FAA's girlfriend are cousins

by Anonymousreply 217July 7, 2021 6:52 PM

THANK FUCKING GOD FED IS OUT!

His ego is out of control { for the past ten years } retire already!

by Anonymousreply 218July 7, 2021 6:52 PM

I want to service Hubi between service games. He's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 219July 7, 2021 6:54 PM

Poor FAA. If he had drawn Gramps he could have kicked Fed's ass again for the second time in three weeks. Happy for Hurkacz though. Gramps and his supporters have been really obnoxious with all the GOAT bullshit for the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 220July 7, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote] Djokovic is two matches away from being the one and only GOAT.

I am GOAT, the one and only.

by Anonymousreply 221July 7, 2021 7:10 PM

It'll be a competition for GOAT we most love to hate.

by Anonymousreply 222July 7, 2021 7:13 PM

Mrs Court at R221. You misread that. That poster was talking about GOAT as in "Greatest Of All Time". We all recognize that you are a goat, as in 🐐. Your face practically screams "old goat" and your dulcet tones certainly sound like bleating.

You are a 🐐 . Chrissy Evert with her leathery skin is obviously an 🐊. And Lindsay Davenpork is a 🐽.

by Anonymousreply 223July 7, 2021 7:15 PM

By the way why does the thread title only allow one gay? Is this "the only gay in Wimbledon village"?

by Anonymousreply 224July 7, 2021 7:19 PM

So happy for Matteo. Well deserved win

by Anonymousreply 225July 7, 2021 7:23 PM

Barteam or Kerber team?

Ova, Plisk team or Sabalenka team?

by Anonymousreply 226July 7, 2021 7:26 PM

[quote]So glad the egomaniac lost. Now get those Rolex commercials off the air, with the pretentious British announcer acting breathless as he calls Fed the most beloved player of all time.

haha! Rolex must still have a number of years left in their contract with Roger. How do you market a losing player?

by Anonymousreply 227July 7, 2021 7:27 PM

Tough call now for Federer: either his last set @ Wimbledon will be a bagel or he comes back next year but then will probably crash and burn in one of the early rounds.

by Anonymousreply 228July 7, 2021 7:31 PM

novaxx's diet is clearing working for him.

by Anonymousreply 229July 7, 2021 7:42 PM

Some people are VERY invested in Novak not becoming the clear GOAT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230July 7, 2021 7:44 PM

i think she was insulted the amount was too low.

by Anonymousreply 231July 7, 2021 7:54 PM

Your mother would have done it for free.

by Anonymousreply 232July 7, 2021 8:02 PM

Boris Becker is in hot soup for saying Fucsovic's fiancee is "very pretty", they call him sexist.

by Anonymousreply 233July 7, 2021 8:08 PM

A commentator pointed out yesterday that Sampras, Federer and Nadal all stumbled a bit when they were going for their own history making slam. Honestly, it could take another year. Everyone's talking like he already has it based on form but he's going to have 75 percent of the crowd against him at best and he'll need to be superman to pull it off here or in NY.

The entire History of the sport of tennis all comes down to one day, that's a lot of pressure.

by Anonymousreply 234July 7, 2021 8:18 PM

[quote]Boris Becker is in hot soup for saying Fucsovic's fiancee is "very pretty", they call him sexist

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235July 7, 2021 8:22 PM

she is ok, she is NOT very pretty

by Anonymousreply 236July 7, 2021 9:01 PM

She looks like man

by Anonymousreply 237July 7, 2021 10:03 PM

Becker is a horny old man.

by Anonymousreply 238July 7, 2021 10:53 PM

I like Angie and Ashleigh but ima say Team Ashleigh.

And even though Sabalenka totally deserves it on form ima say Team Pliskbot, dunno why.

by Anonymousreply 239July 7, 2021 11:13 PM

great shot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240July 7, 2021 11:42 PM

nuther one

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241July 7, 2021 11:49 PM

[quote]Dennis Shapovalov of Canada hits a forehand

I don't think the people at Getty know what a forehand is (also, it's Denis)

by Anonymousreply 242July 7, 2021 11:52 PM

lol, I noticed that, too R240

I guess in a way the serve is FH

by Anonymousreply 243July 7, 2021 11:55 PM

I’m quite pleased with the ladies’ semis draw. It’s an interesting turn of events with Serena, Osaka, and Halep out of contention, plus most of the top seeds losing in like 1R.

I guess I’m rooting for Pliskbot overall, despite her complete absence of charisma. She’s playing great, and I’d honestly love to see her to finally get a Slam to cap off her career. Feels deserved, honestly, after watching her play close to the top for the past decade.

Apart from Plisky, I’m mostly indifferent. It would be cool to see Kerber nab one more before her career fully peters out. Barty is likable and has a stylish game, so I’d be fine with her too. Sabalenka is in constant beast mode — it’s off putting as a viewer, but her drive is admirable so I’m not actually rooting against her.

I’m just thankful the champ won’t be some bratty, rich American blonde like Kenin or Collins or Anisimova.

by Anonymousreply 244July 8, 2021 1:31 AM

Kerber all the way.

On the men's side, would LOVE to have Hubie win but it is highly unlikely. Shapo would be the worst one to win. He is so insufferable, he makes Novaxx look tame by comparison. Matteo is "eh." Novaxx winning would be a nice come-uppance to Federer and Nadal, so that's a benefit.

by Anonymousreply 245July 8, 2021 1:35 AM

From a looks perspective rather than tennis skills: Shapo team or K. Hemsworth (Karen Khachanov) team?

by Anonymousreply 246July 8, 2021 2:02 AM

Khachanov on both looks AND skills over Shapo.

by Anonymousreply 247July 8, 2021 2:03 AM

I'd love for Shapovalov to play the match of his life to take out Djokovic and then self-implode in the final

I want the winner of Barty/Kerber to win the ladies' title. Anyone but Pliskova though.

by Anonymousreply 248July 8, 2021 2:28 AM

Domicakes is sorely missed at Wimbledon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249July 8, 2021 2:47 AM

Not sure about Collins or Anisimova, but Kenin is definitely not from a wealthy background.

by Anonymousreply 250July 8, 2021 3:19 AM

Pegula is the one who is from a seriously wealthy background - her dad is a billionaire and owns the Buffalo Bills. I like her though, she seems real and takes tennis seriously.

by Anonymousreply 251July 8, 2021 3:34 AM

Pliskova is the Susan Lucci of Slams. She’s an icon, she’s a legend, and she IS the moment. This should be her moment, godammit.

Kerber has had her day in the sun.

by Anonymousreply 252July 8, 2021 3:37 AM

Collins' dad mows lawns for a living. She grew up playing on public courts. Basically trailer trash.

Pegula, Cici Bellis, Keys, Vandeweghe and Stephens grew up with money.

by Anonymousreply 253July 8, 2021 3:39 AM

R252 it's not like she's almost won slams numerous times. She briefly was a threat. This run is quite fluke-like given her recent form

by Anonymousreply 254July 8, 2021 3:42 AM

Love that for Collins. Come on, trailer trash!

by Anonymousreply 255July 8, 2021 3:43 AM

I'm glad Federer lost but have to say he was absolute garbage today. He made so many uncharacteristic errors even on his forehand. Hurkacz was solid but nothing outstanding. It'll take more than today's level to beat Djokovic if he gets that far

by Anonymousreply 256July 8, 2021 4:09 AM

Shapo blond leg hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257July 8, 2021 5:07 AM

I would love to see Shapo zone and takeout Djokobitch. Unforch I don't think it will happen.

Hubie seems like a great guy, and he's very talented, but Matteo has a great game for grass and really is brimming with confidence now. He's one of those guys like Ivanesavic or Krajicek who could surprise everyone and win a Wimby.

by Anonymousreply 258July 8, 2021 10:41 AM

HeartyBartyParty Team or Angels Team?

by Anonymousreply 259July 8, 2021 12:33 PM

I like Angie but Barty also seems very chilled, professional and likeable. Plus Barty would get to honor Evonne Goolahong's win 50 years ago if she became only the second player of Australian Aboriginal descent after Evonne to win.

Poor Pliskbot gets a lot of stick on DL for being a dull, unimaginative bot, so I kinda feel sorry for her. The only one from the group I can't stand is Sabalenka. She is "too much". Too intense, too "on", too obnoxious, too in-everyone's-face.

As long as Pliskbot takes out the beast Sabalenka I'll be happy with any of other three winning.

by Anonymousreply 260July 8, 2021 12:40 PM

Team Ash.

Team Shapo in his semi.

Team Matteo for the win though.

by Anonymousreply 261July 8, 2021 1:07 PM

Pliskbot will need a software update to win vs Sabelinka… girl is fierce

by Anonymousreply 262July 8, 2021 1:34 PM

Kerber's so darned gracious. You can tell she just enjoyed the occasion, and left the court with a beaming smile. Really enjoyed that semi-final.

by Anonymousreply 263July 8, 2021 2:06 PM

YAY! Barry beats Kerber! Love, love, love seeing Kerber lose.

Now, c’mon Sabalenka.

by Anonymousreply 264July 8, 2021 2:07 PM

omg, Chris Fowler got dressed in the dark. that suit color is disgusting. color of puke.

by Anonymousreply 265July 8, 2021 2:11 PM

Does Barry have a tattoo on her earlobe? What was that?

by Anonymousreply 266July 8, 2021 2:11 PM

BARTY.

by Anonymousreply 267July 8, 2021 2:12 PM

Hot DAMN Barty played well.

by Anonymousreply 268July 8, 2021 2:20 PM

Pam Shriver....this woman needs a makeover.

by Anonymousreply 269July 8, 2021 2:26 PM

The Barty–Kerber semi was a great match. There was barely a single shot that didn’t have a purpose or intention behind it.

Tennis like that makes me feel that not all is lost for the WTA. I just hope the next semifinal doesn’t put paid to my newfound enthusiasm.

by Anonymousreply 270July 8, 2021 2:30 PM

Sabalenka pings

by Anonymousreply 271July 8, 2021 2:33 PM

I root for the fatty line judge

by Anonymousreply 272July 8, 2021 3:13 PM

Yes, Sabalenka! So many break points saved. Sweet first set for her. Pliskbot has to be pissed.

by Anonymousreply 273July 8, 2021 3:20 PM

Is Sabalenka trans?

by Anonymousreply 274July 8, 2021 3:21 PM

sabalenka is fucking annoying

by Anonymousreply 275July 8, 2021 3:22 PM

Sabalenka used to annoy but I’ve grown to enjoy “The Warrior Princess”. She’s intense but she’s committed and fierce.

Pliskova is so flat, robotic and boring by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 276July 8, 2021 3:27 PM

My mother would call Sabalenka “a handsome woman.”

by Anonymousreply 277July 8, 2021 3:28 PM

Billie Jean looks great!

by Anonymousreply 278July 8, 2021 3:34 PM

and sabalenks is not boring because she screams?

by Anonymousreply 279July 8, 2021 3:34 PM

I think sabalenka is quite striking. She has bone structure that will age really well.

by Anonymousreply 280July 8, 2021 3:52 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281July 8, 2021 4:10 PM

However, the 23-year-old said 'the press-conference format itself is out of date and in great need of a refresh' and that 'we can make it better, more interesting and more enjoyable for each side'.

Osaka acknowledged that her opinion is not shared by 'the majority' of tennis writers who she said feared she would 'set a dangerous precedent' leading other stars to follow suit.

She insisted she was not attempting to start a 'revolt' and is 'naturally introverted' but said she hopes 'we can enact measures to protect athletes, especially the fragile ones.'

'There can be moments for any of us where we are dealing with issues behind the scenes,' the 23-year-old said.

'Each of us as humans is going through something on some level.'

'It has become apparent to me that literally everyone either suffers from issues related to their mental health or knows someone who does,' Osaka wrote.

'I do hope that people can relate and understand it's OK to not be OK, and it´s OK to talk about it.'

Osaka hit headlines in May when she announced she would not speak to the media during the French Open.

She tweeted on May 26 that she found the post-match press briefings like 'kicking a person while they're down' and hit out at organizations for continuing 'to ignore the mental health of the athletes.'

She then failed to appear at a press briefing following her first-round match on May 30 and officials slapped her with a $15,000 fine.

by Anonymousreply 282July 8, 2021 4:11 PM

Just fuck off Osaka!!!

by Anonymousreply 283July 8, 2021 4:12 PM

I want Pliskova to win solely because she can actually hit the ball without screaming all of the time. Can't stand that with any of the women, and Sabalenka is especially horrid.

by Anonymousreply 284July 8, 2021 4:13 PM

Agree ^

by Anonymousreply 285July 8, 2021 4:18 PM

LOL at Osaka comparing herself to ordinary folks who get sick days. Bitch conveniently forgets that the same ordinary folks don't have the luxury of sitting out half the year without showing up at work. Nor do they earn $60M a year.

The only affliction that ails this entitled cunt is a First World strain of the Regina Drama virus.

by Anonymousreply 286July 8, 2021 4:19 PM

If Pliskova can keep that form it could be a great, entertaining final.

by Anonymousreply 287July 8, 2021 4:26 PM

I fucking hate Megan Markle. What a pandering climber. Hop on to any-and-all pity-parties to get herself in the news. Osaka should just quit tennis, she's easily replaced.

by Anonymousreply 288July 8, 2021 4:30 PM

I really wasn't sure whether Pliskova was going to hold her nerve toward the end of the match but she did so beautifully. Kudos to her.

by Anonymousreply 289July 8, 2021 4:30 PM

yay Pliskbot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290July 8, 2021 4:46 PM

I love that Barty's idol is Goolagong and not Cunt Court.

by Anonymousreply 291July 8, 2021 6:43 PM

K. Pliskova has an awfully wide stance.

by Anonymousreply 292July 8, 2021 6:53 PM

What's that supposed to mean?

by Anonymousreply 293July 8, 2021 7:04 PM

Gosh, Peschke is still playing

by Anonymousreply 294July 8, 2021 7:30 PM

Berreteami or Hubie team?

Nole team or Shapo team?

by Anonymousreply 295July 8, 2021 7:56 PM

Bestest Boyfriend Hubie Team

Shapo Team (AKA AnyoneButNoVaxx Team)

by Anonymousreply 296July 8, 2021 8:01 PM

New DL Fave Hubie Team for me.

by Anonymousreply 297July 8, 2021 8:02 PM

Anyone but Putin-loving Shapo team

by Anonymousreply 298July 8, 2021 8:04 PM

Barty and Pliskova have made it an all-Fila final on the women's side. What happened to Nike? I thought they had a monopoly on the top players.

by Anonymousreply 299July 8, 2021 8:15 PM

Loathe Novaxx but the obnoxious and overbearing worship and ass-kissing of Gramps by the AELTC and his fans makes me want Novaxx and Pedal to both overtake Grampy Priss just to see what kind of excuses and explanations his fans come up with to keep calling him the goat.

Novaxx winning on Sunday followed by a Pedal vs Novaxx final at the US Open would shut Gramps and his cheering squad up. Yes, we're looking at you, Mary Ho "Ms Conflict of Interest" Fernández God Sick.

by Anonymousreply 300July 8, 2021 8:20 PM

Titsy in a lavender field

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301July 8, 2021 8:20 PM

Novak all the way.

by Anonymousreply 302July 8, 2021 8:23 PM

Its Novaxx

by Anonymousreply 303July 8, 2021 8:40 PM

Delighted Sabalenka went out. Her screaming is damnable. Commentators are still calling this grunting but few seem willing to call out this form of gamesmanship. A million years ago Seles was piled on for her shrieking and rightly so. The WTA need to grow a set of balls.

by Anonymousreply 304July 8, 2021 8:45 PM

[quote] The WTA need to grow a set of balls.

They tried but I grabbed those fucking balls and shoved them down a fucking lineswoman's fucking throat.

by Anonymousreply 305July 8, 2021 8:49 PM

I think Berretini will beat Hurkacz and Djoker will beat Shapo. I think Djoker will take down Berretini in the final to tie Fed and Nadal at 20 Slams.

I really hope Barty beats Pliskbot. Can't stand her mindless hitting. She's such a poor mover, too. Not much of a Barty fan here, but I'd rather see her win another Slam. Then she could finally justify being at #1.

by Anonymousreply 306July 8, 2021 8:55 PM

R300, get some help.

by Anonymousreply 307July 8, 2021 8:58 PM

Hoping for the winner of HH v. Berrettini to take the championship after the Center Court roof collapses on Shapvaxx.

by Anonymousreply 308July 8, 2021 9:05 PM

Shapo Team. Matteo Team, though this one's a tough call. I like them both.

Barty Team just because she played that semi so fucking wonderfully.

by Anonymousreply 309July 8, 2021 9:14 PM

I am still:

Team Ash

Team Shapo in his semi (Please! For the love of God!)

Team Matteo to win the championship

by Anonymousreply 310July 8, 2021 9:14 PM

In other news, Wikipedia has outed Jan-Michael Gambill. I don't think he officially came out, did he?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311July 8, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote]just to see what kind of excuses and explanations his fans come up with to keep calling him the goat.

obviously you have been muting the Rolex commercials advising us how to address the GOAT argument in the future .... apparently we are now to look upon Roger as 'perpetual' or something ...

by Anonymousreply 312July 8, 2021 9:46 PM

I want Plishkova to win on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 313July 9, 2021 12:24 AM

hopefully Barty gets her 2nd slam on Saturday

by Anonymousreply 314July 9, 2021 1:02 AM

I’ll be happy for either of the ladies’ finalists to win all the marbles. I’d love to see Serena win at least one more major before she retires, but in the meantime it will be nice to have a champ who isn’t some random journeywoman in the vein of Ostapenko, Krejcikova, et al.

And as I’ve already said upthread, I’m strongly onboard for Pliskova to cap her career with an overdue major trophy. She’s an icon, she’s a legend, and she IS the moment.

by Anonymousreply 315July 9, 2021 1:13 AM

Pliskova and Hurkacz look like siblings

by Anonymousreply 316July 9, 2021 1:34 AM

Just don’t see Serena winning another and, at this point, her level of play would make it embarrassing. The field would have to collapse.

I’d like to be proven wrong, but feel like she’s been left in the dust, whether because the field caught up, her aura of invincibility is gone or her conditioning is eroded/she’s dealing with injuries.

by Anonymousreply 317July 9, 2021 1:40 AM

Like Roger, many of her competitors are no longer intimidated by her. They're both entirely beat-able by competent players.

by Anonymousreply 318July 9, 2021 2:06 AM

That is accurate. She used to be very intimidating.

by Anonymousreply 319July 9, 2021 2:12 AM

they're 40 years old. They had long, incredible careers. It's not surprising that they've lost some of their potency

It's not that the fields are better than them. It's that they declined.

by Anonymousreply 320July 9, 2021 2:15 AM

Field collapse is complete at USA Open.

by Anonymousreply 321July 9, 2021 2:16 AM

It’s a combo. Serena is no longer a spring chicken, but Osaka today could’ve probably crushed Sharapova or Clijsters or Davenport or Henin when they were at their prime. Serena is clearly waning with age, but she herself raised the game. The fact that there are now crafty, accurate bashers like Osaka, Sabalenka etc. is a response to Serena’s style and dominance. And now Serena has to try to contend with those folks as she nears 40 years old. She probably won’t grab another major title, but it will be bittersweet to watch her exit stage right.

by Anonymousreply 322July 9, 2021 3:24 AM

R322 I don't think so. I think Serena, Clijsters, Henin, Venus, Davenport and Capriati would all crush Osaka. I don't see anything particularly special in her game Im sorry. And I don't think she could've out hit any of them.

by Anonymousreply 323July 9, 2021 4:34 AM

I think Osaka could take Davenport and Capriati on hardcourts but she'd lose to both on clay and grass. Osaka is a more dialed in and less choking version of Keys. Keys is THE hardest ground stroker in the women's game. Her average groundstroke speed is faster than some of the men but she just can't keep it together mentally on a consistent basis. Davenport was an even worse mover than Pliskova. Capriati's backhand and serve could break down when under pressure

by Anonymousreply 324July 9, 2021 4:51 AM

peak Osaka vs. peak Sharapova would be fun to watch actually. I did so enjoy seeing Osaka take her out in their lone meeting when Naomi won Indian Wells a few years ago

by Anonymousreply 325July 9, 2021 4:53 AM

Serena will have a chance at the USO especially after a lot of top players are coming off of either Olympic glory or heartbreak. They'll be mentally and physically fatigued. She'll have to be perfect health though. If she can't play either Rogers Cup or Cincinnati for a warmup then I won't expect much from her though. Who knows how bad her injury is this time

by Anonymousreply 326July 9, 2021 4:55 AM

[quote] Davenport was an even worse mover than Pliskova.

That's because she was a big girl.

by Anonymousreply 327July 9, 2021 4:58 AM

speaking of Clijsters I wonder if she'll be ready to go for the USO hardcourt swing. She was going to play this past spring but had an injury

by Anonymousreply 328July 9, 2021 5:04 AM

I had completely forgotten about Clijsters, R328. When you mentioned her I wondered whether she'd retired.

by Anonymousreply 329July 9, 2021 5:05 AM

Serena should be embarrassed. I don't know that many over weight professional athletes. She has given up.

She will never win anything again

by Anonymousreply 330July 9, 2021 5:16 AM

[quote] obviously you have been muting the Rolex commercials advising us how to address the GOAT argument in the future .... apparently we are now to look upon Roger as 'perpetual' or something ...

I hope the commercial shows the time on the Rolex watch as 6:00. As a tribute to the 6-0 score of the set Gramps played as his last ever on Center Court..

Will Gramps be triggered if Mirka accidentally orders a bag of bagels for breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 331July 9, 2021 5:58 AM

I am ok with any of the four men winning Wimbledon

by Anonymousreply 332July 9, 2021 6:00 AM

it'll be interesting to see how Shapovalov recovers mentally and physically from his long 5 set match

by Anonymousreply 333July 9, 2021 6:25 AM

Peak Pierce > Osaka

by Anonymousreply 334July 9, 2021 6:39 AM

If Pliskbot wins the final poor Borety will be mocked again for being a joke number one.

by Anonymousreply 335July 9, 2021 6:40 AM

The poster who wrote Osaka would crush Clijsters or Henin must be joking. She might beat Henin on hard courts but Juju would humiliate and thrash fragile flower Naomi on clay and beat her on grass too. And Kimmie would hold her own against Naomi.

Osaka is being overrated simply because she manhandled Serena at the Aussie Open this year. A 39-year-old, slower, past-her-prime Serena. The Serena of 2002-03 could have easily handled Osaka who has no variety or intelligence in her play. By 21 Serena had already completed her career Slam and had a year and a half of Martina/Graf levels of dominance. Osaka is a part-timer who is unable to do anything outside hard courts and then whines about how mean the press are.

by Anonymousreply 336July 9, 2021 6:49 AM

I heard that Mirka punished Roger by sitting on his face for 1 hour and 49 minutes (the duration of the match).

by Anonymousreply 337July 9, 2021 10:54 AM

I read that Mirka and Serena got together yesterday and consoled themselves with these.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338July 9, 2021 11:08 AM

r333, He's 22, he should be fine physically. I expect him to come out swinging and go for broke. I'll also be looking for gamesmanship to try and throw off Novak a al Molfils or Kyrgios.

Fognini took a MTO at a very opportune time against Rubelev. He didn't look injured before or after but he sat and got a leg massage while Rubelev argued with the chair AND an official. It was on a side court so we couldn't hear what was said.

Now that players know that pissing and changing his kit makes Novak stronger they'll have to counter that with some antics of their own.

Remember Rosol against Nadal? This was 2 years after Rosol played the match of his career to beat Rafa at Wimbledon. He lost the next 4 times they played.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339July 9, 2021 11:54 AM

In March someone was willing to pay a girl 70k to set up Novak? The model said it was someone in England who she considered to be a serious person.(I wonder if he was wearing a ROLEX). Did she go to police? Was it confirmed? I have know idea. In 2017 when he had marital problems he went off his game for a year.

It's funny that this has never, to my knowledge been discussed by the tennis world. Who would most benefit if Novak went off his game and allowed Roger to stand alone?

Roger's sponsors.

by Anonymousreply 340July 9, 2021 12:15 PM

I still can't believe Roger got bageled in what is probably his last match at Wimbledon. SAD!

by Anonymousreply 341July 9, 2021 12:29 PM

Yum, bagels. With lots of cream cheese. And bacon. And sausages.

Sorry, what were you saying, R341?

by Anonymousreply 342July 9, 2021 12:33 PM

Berettini and Hurkacz both listed at 6’5” but HH looks a couple inches taller.

by Anonymousreply 343July 9, 2021 12:33 PM

Here they come! Hercules Hercules!

Here's to hoping for lot's of shirt changing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344July 9, 2021 12:34 PM

No way does Serena win USO, unless she’s miraculously able to turn her fitness around between now and then. Can you picture her lumbering to retrieve balls on the hard court? I guess is she’s serving out of her mind, but it’s been a while.

by Anonymousreply 345July 9, 2021 12:37 PM

she hurt her ankle...I don't think she's play USO. she's busy baking cakes and cookies and stuffing her face. she is over.

by Anonymousreply 346July 9, 2021 1:14 PM

Berrettini looks good, he's gonna be in the final!

by Anonymousreply 347July 9, 2021 1:19 PM

Berreteami!

by Anonymousreply 348July 9, 2021 1:27 PM

Hurkacz seems a bit overwhelmed by the occasion. Too many errors coming from his side at the worst times. He's donated at least two service games, possibly three. Berretini for his part is living up to the occasion and keeps serving himself out of trouble. I called a Djokovic-Berretini final at the beginning of the tournament. I'll stick with that.

by Anonymousreply 349July 9, 2021 1:33 PM

Berretini is wearing 2 chains.

by Anonymousreply 350July 9, 2021 1:39 PM

just saw pat cash in the stands. wearing an earring.

by Anonymousreply 351July 9, 2021 1:41 PM

I wonder what the psychological repercussions will be for Hurkacz if he loses this semi as severely as it appears he will after the first two sets (6-3 6-0 in about 60 minutes!). Berrettini has now won something like 12 games in a row, and doesn't look like he much feels like letting Hurkacz back into the match.

To someone up-thread—yes, I too think that Hurkacz might be family.

by Anonymousreply 352July 9, 2021 1:51 PM

Berretini's fist clench after every point he wins is annoying AF.

by Anonymousreply 353July 9, 2021 2:15 PM

HH seems like a great guy. He was adorable waiting to go on court, smiling and talking and laughing.

by Anonymousreply 354July 9, 2021 2:21 PM

Poor Hubie. He really needs me to comfort him after the match. I can feel it!

by Anonymousreply 355July 9, 2021 2:22 PM

He's clawed a set back in a tie-breaker.

by Anonymousreply 356July 9, 2021 2:33 PM

Matteo giving some nice nipple action.

by Anonymousreply 357July 9, 2021 2:36 PM

R353, if you hate that, stupid, overbearing Shapo will push you over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 358July 9, 2021 2:39 PM

Hate when Patrick McEnroe says, “Great tennis,” as though we don’t know what sport they’re playing. Have you ever watched a basketball game and, following a great play, the announcer needs to remind viewers what sport they’re watching?

by Anonymousreply 359July 9, 2021 2:42 PM

DL feets trolls probably caught the vapors watching Hubie changing his socks.

by Anonymousreply 360July 9, 2021 2:58 PM

Matteo coming off like a bit of a jerk.

by Anonymousreply 361July 9, 2021 3:01 PM

R361 how so? Cant watch today. Just checking scores when I can.

by Anonymousreply 362July 9, 2021 3:09 PM

they keep showing a woman in blue with curly hair, is that his mom? I'm watching with sound off.

by Anonymousreply 363July 9, 2021 3:10 PM

italian won.

by Anonymousreply 364July 9, 2021 3:14 PM

Berrettini through in 4. Hope he makes it at least a little tough for Djokovic.

by Anonymousreply 365July 9, 2021 3:15 PM

Where does Matteo get his looks? Neither parent is that attractive.

by Anonymousreply 366July 9, 2021 3:20 PM

little tough, tsitsipas made a little tough for djoko and so what? he did win anyway

by Anonymousreply 367July 9, 2021 3:20 PM

Berrettini is good looking but I'd like to see him without the beard.

by Anonymousreply 368July 9, 2021 3:21 PM

R366 and his brother isnt nearly as handsome. Genetics are weird.

by Anonymousreply 369July 9, 2021 3:23 PM

So, Shapo first set, then Novaxx takes over for the match.

by Anonymousreply 370July 9, 2021 3:26 PM

Shapo first set, then NoVaxxx feigns some sort of injury andor manufactures some kind of drama-slash-mindfuckery and takes over the match.

by Anonymousreply 371July 9, 2021 3:47 PM

So far, Djokovic looks so tight and passive. He really needs to kick it into a higher gear.

by Anonymousreply 372July 9, 2021 3:58 PM

I do hope Shapo is able to manufacture at least one Novaxx temper tantrum. Always hilarious to see Novaxx go full hissy.

by Anonymousreply 373July 9, 2021 4:07 PM

Sloppy game for Shapo. Disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 374July 9, 2021 4:21 PM

Of course Djokovic breaks when this kid is serving for the set. Typical. Hand this asshole the trophy now. Its inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 375July 9, 2021 4:22 PM

Ugh, here we go again. The young guns blow it when they should be closing out a set.

by Anonymousreply 376July 9, 2021 4:23 PM

I’m team Matteo BUT if Shapo could just win this - I would become a lifelong fan. I would write odes to his blond leg hair…

by Anonymousreply 377July 9, 2021 4:27 PM

[quote] and his brother isnt nearly as handsome. Genetics are weird.

His brother and him look nothing alike. On another thread someone said one looks like the father and the other the mother.

by Anonymousreply 378July 9, 2021 4:33 PM

Should we refer to Shapo as Golden Boy?

by Anonymousreply 379July 9, 2021 4:34 PM

maybe he takes after a grand parent.

by Anonymousreply 380July 9, 2021 4:40 PM

shapo is weaker, mentally

by Anonymousreply 381July 9, 2021 4:41 PM

Here's Matteo's brother (Jacopo). He plays tennis professionally as well and is ranked #448

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382July 9, 2021 4:47 PM

re Berretini, a beard can sometimes change everything. Conversely, look at his brother and imagine a beard.

by Anonymousreply 383July 9, 2021 4:50 PM

ShapoFLOPOS!

by Anonymousreply 384July 9, 2021 4:57 PM

Jacopo is decent looking but they really dont look much alike. I think a lot has to do with Matteo's darker features though.

by Anonymousreply 385July 9, 2021 5:07 PM

R14 Oh, i was ill, so i couldn't be here to being negative to Felix. Some of his fans are overly sensitive because i said a lot of positive things about him too but it seems if you are not praising 24/7 you are a hater.

He did a good tournament, maybe it's the beginning of what everybody was expecting of him.

And Shapo, when you only use your brain to fill the crane is impossible to win against Djokovic. He should have won the first set.

The awful truth is a sub par version of Nole will probably win this (unless Matteo's serve will be on fire in the final)

by Anonymousreply 386July 9, 2021 5:22 PM

In the very least I was hoping Shapo could take Novxaxx to 4 or 5 sets.

by Anonymousreply 387July 9, 2021 5:45 PM

The linesperson clothes are so unflattering. A lot of them are chunky and straight up fat. They look terrible on them especially, but they don't even look good on the thinner ones.

by Anonymousreply 388July 9, 2021 5:56 PM

I think caftans would be more appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 389July 9, 2021 5:58 PM

Pants like that especially dont look flattering on most bodies.

by Anonymousreply 390July 9, 2021 5:58 PM

But it's Ralph Lauren!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391July 9, 2021 6:03 PM

okay bump

by Anonymousreply 392July 9, 2021 6:05 PM

Shapo's physio is kinda hot.

by Anonymousreply 393July 9, 2021 6:10 PM

R391, those hideous, ill-fitting outfits should be under his real name, Ralph Lifshitz.

by Anonymousreply 394July 9, 2021 6:16 PM

Beckham looking on from the Royal box, wishing his sons were as merch-able as Denis.

by Anonymousreply 395July 9, 2021 6:18 PM

Shapo writing his eulogy now

by Anonymousreply 396July 9, 2021 6:22 PM

Dude holds comfortably until 5-5 in both 2 and 3rd then bam. Was up a break in 1st till bam needs to hold gets broken.

by Anonymousreply 397July 9, 2021 6:24 PM

Very disappointing. All NoVaxxx had to do was be solid and watch Shapo self-destruct as soon as the pressure was on.

by Anonymousreply 398July 9, 2021 6:25 PM

No surprise.

by Anonymousreply 399July 9, 2021 6:27 PM

Shapo could be a player with several GS but i doubt he'll win any unless he is able to find some maturita (Wawrinka's style).

His game is too risky, he needs to use strategy instead of only overhit his rival. It's a pity because he has the power to make winners left and right, but power without control doesn't mean a thing

by Anonymousreply 400July 9, 2021 6:31 PM

Poor Shapo but he's only 22.

by Anonymousreply 401July 9, 2021 6:32 PM

Shapo kept it pretty close, though. He's still learning. He needs to work on the mental side of his game. He mentally lapsed when up a break in the first, in the second set tiebreak and at 5-5 in the third. These guys start peaking around their mid-20s now. Even Djokovic didn't go on his tear until he was 24. Although he won the Australian in 2008, he didn't really start taking Slams again until 2011. Shapo has 2-3 years before he'll start to get up to his best level. I think Tsitsipas is the rare one who is starting to get there in his early 20s.

Berretini is playing better than Shapo. I think that's going to be a tighter contest, but Djokovic is still favored. I hope it's a good, close match no matter who wins.

by Anonymousreply 402July 9, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote] He needs to work on the mental side of his game.

He’s dumb as his golden leg hair though.

by Anonymousreply 403July 9, 2021 6:34 PM

Who is best of Net Gen?

by Anonymousreply 404July 9, 2021 6:35 PM

r404, I prefer Shapovalov and Tsitsipas over Zverev and Thiem. That bullshit USOpen 2020 where Zverev had to force the title on Thiem has made me hate the both.

This is the first I've heard of Matteo. I will be rooting for him. He is quite a looker.

by Anonymousreply 405July 9, 2021 6:44 PM

R405 You are obviously not a tennis fan. Berrettini is a top 10 for two years and Thiem is not a next gen

by Anonymousreply 406July 9, 2021 6:56 PM

But, in my opinion, R405 summarized the US Open 2020 accurately: Thiem happened to be on the court when Zverev lost the match.

by Anonymousreply 407July 9, 2021 7:04 PM

Matteo has so much confidence right now. I truly hope he makes it a match.

by Anonymousreply 408July 9, 2021 9:23 PM

Ash Team or Pliskbot Team?

by Anonymousreply 409July 9, 2021 9:41 PM

Ash team, R509, but I’m rather indifferent though.

by Anonymousreply 410July 9, 2021 10:02 PM

Shapo was extra handsome today. Such a great kid.

Excited for Novak to get 3/4 of the Slam--wow, what an achievement in this era. Unreal competitor and athlete.

by Anonymousreply 411July 9, 2021 10:04 PM

It's interesting they're both so low-drama but with very different styles of play. I kinda like them both, but I just LOVE Barty's game.

by Anonymousreply 412July 9, 2021 10:06 PM

Shapo isn't handsome so much as hawt, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 413July 9, 2021 10:07 PM

not even his legs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414July 9, 2021 10:11 PM

The thread has been paywalled. We have new though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415July 10, 2021 1:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!