Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Many Saints of Newark (2021)

This is the Sopranos sequel with James Gandolfini's real life son in the starring role. He figures prominently in the trailer, too. And yet he is barely noticeable.

I don't know about this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2021 7:52 PM

I think pinning this film on a largely unknown, green young actor only because of his heritage is not the wisest choice.

Judging from the trailer, the story does nothing to widen the scope of what we already know about the Sopranos and their origins.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2021 10:53 PM

[quote]I think pinning this film on a largely unknown, green young actor only because of his heritage is not the wisest choice.

I was kind of thinking that too; yes, they could've given him a role (Tony's cousin?) but to rest a prequel based on one of the most -if not the most - iconic TV shows is a history is a pretty big deal.

Though I do kind of look forward to the return of Livia (It's all big nothing!)

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2021 11:01 PM

It’s going to be a disaster. David Chase had his moment of brilliance.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2021 11:04 PM

Already a thread....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2021 11:06 PM

Ahhh. No. I love The Sopranos and I think it looks good. It also feels different. Going dramatic and dark works. And the kid looks amazing in it! What are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2021 11:11 PM

I dunno...this kid seems like he lacks the charm and raw sexuality of Tony Soprano. Yes, I said raw sexuality...Tony was fucking hot.

by Anonymousreply 6June 30, 2021 1:53 AM

Went to a screening last night. It’s fine but not great. Gandolfini is good but the kid playing little Tony Soprano is terrific. Vera Farmiga (Livia) and John Magaro (Silvio) were stand outs. Leslie Odom Jr is just OK, I really don’t get why he’s getting cast in major roles. He has zero sex appeal. The lead, Alessandro Nivola, is good but there’s a blandness to him which I guess accounts for him never becoming a star. Ray Liotta’s very good as twin brothers. I think anyone who wants to see it will watch it on HBO Max and box office will not be good. I can see the cast getting a SAG nomination and maybe Magaro and/or Farmiga could sneak into the Supporting category at awards time.

by Anonymousreply 7September 22, 2021 1:23 PM

This was...mediocre at best. It was sort of all over the place. The casting was good. Agree about Farmiga and Magaro.

by Anonymousreply 8October 1, 2021 10:08 PM

Ahhh. Your take away is Ray Liotta was playing twin brothers? No spoilers but don't listen to the above reviewer. It was superb.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote] It was superb.

No it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 10October 7, 2021 7:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!