Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sopranos Prequel Trailer - The Many Saints of Newark

Looks good. Guess I’ll be signing up for HBO Max this fall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128October 6, 2021 10:07 PM

I saw them filming a few blocks from my house at the same location as the Sopranos final scene.

by Anonymousreply 1June 29, 2021 5:42 PM

David Chase is an old fucking hack. I'm sure he figured out plenty of ways to fuck this up.

by Anonymousreply 2June 29, 2021 5:43 PM

Jimmy's son has all the moves of his father down pat.

by Anonymousreply 3June 29, 2021 5:44 PM

Where is that, r1, on Bloomfield Ave in Montclair?

by Anonymousreply 4June 29, 2021 5:46 PM

No reason to sign up for HBO Looks like a tired retread and Michael Gandolfini doesn't have a compelling screen presence. Meh!

by Anonymousreply 5June 29, 2021 5:48 PM

I can just tell that this will be one of those movies where the lead actor makes or breaks the movie and things aren't looking good in that department. Of course I hope I'm wrong. You need to hire an actor who has the charisma to carry the movie, not just someone who looks like his father.

by Anonymousreply 6June 29, 2021 6:02 PM

No, R4. At Holsten’s.

by Anonymousreply 7June 29, 2021 6:10 PM

Those were huge shoes to fill (James Gandolfini). Just from the trailer, it doesn't look compelling. Vera Farmiga looks good, but actually looks like Edie Falco (more than Nancy Marchand).

Smart to go backwards (prequel) rather than forward.

I didn't really like the first season on the Sopranos. I liked it a lot by the 3rd season. Point is, even James Gandolfini needed time to fully step into the character of Tony Soprano. IMO.

by Anonymousreply 8June 29, 2021 6:11 PM

^ Agree. Jersey native Farmiga does resemble Edie Falco

by Anonymousreply 9June 29, 2021 6:34 PM

I've seen Michael Gandolfini in two smallish roles in other films and he comes off as super gay. I can't see how this is gonna work.

by Anonymousreply 10June 29, 2021 6:38 PM

[quote] I've seen Michael Gandolfini in two smallish roles in other films and he comes off as super gay. I can't see how this is gonna work.

It's obviously going to focus on young Tony Soprano sowing his disco diva oats and heading over to the Baths.

by Anonymousreply 11June 29, 2021 6:48 PM

Loved Vera’s snort.

by Anonymousreply 12June 29, 2021 6:49 PM

R8, looking at the trailer I was astonished that they made Edie Falco look so young as Livia.

by Anonymousreply 13June 29, 2021 7:03 PM

I think the younger Gandolfini has presence for days. Smart not to show him too much in the trailer... keep 'em wanting to see more.

by Anonymousreply 14June 29, 2021 7:42 PM

I’m thrilled to see Ray Liotta in the cast. I’ve read that he turned down a role in The Sopranos because he wanted to focus on his career in films and didn’t want to make a two-year commitment.

Poor bastard wound up on a tv show with JLo.

by Anonymousreply 15June 29, 2021 9:40 PM

I’ll risk it R5.

I initially got HBO because of The Sopranos and canceled my subscription after the show ran it’s course.

I never missed an episode and I’m not missing this.

by Anonymousreply 16June 29, 2021 9:45 PM

I’ll just watch goodfellas.

by Anonymousreply 17June 29, 2021 10:04 PM

That was probably more like Tony in 3rd grade.

by Anonymousreply 18June 29, 2021 10:05 PM

The son looks a little like John Cusack?

Vera F looks great!

by Anonymousreply 19June 29, 2021 10:36 PM

I adored his father so I'll give it a shot.

by Anonymousreply 20June 29, 2021 10:47 PM

Me too R20.

It’s hard to believe that he’s been dead 8 years this month.

by Anonymousreply 21June 29, 2021 11:11 PM

R21 TBH it seems longer than 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 22June 29, 2021 11:25 PM

I thought that was a fat Tye Sheridan in the OP pic. Glad it’s not.

by Anonymousreply 23June 29, 2021 11:36 PM

I'm good with any Gandolfini.

by Anonymousreply 24June 29, 2021 11:42 PM

Seems more like A Bronx Tale II

by Anonymousreply 25June 30, 2021 12:09 AM

So, what is this saying? Tony married a woman who looked like his mother?

by Anonymousreply 26June 30, 2021 12:20 AM

I'm not loving the title - it seems kind of clunky. That said....all during the original series I always wished they would do more flashbacks. Yes, they did Livia and Johnny Boy, but I always wanted to see how Tony and Carmela met, courted, fell in love, etc. And now they can't - maybe we'll see a young Rosalie Aprile....or maybe Charmaine Bucco, who Tony dated before she married Artie?

We can only hope -

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2021 12:21 AM

I think they’re selling it as something it isn’t. My understanding is that the film is about the NJ race riots and how they intersected with the mob and that Tony isn’t actually in it that much. The main characters are supposed to be Johnny Boy and Dickie Moltisano.

by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2021 12:27 AM

That would explain a lot R26.

by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2021 12:29 AM

R27, Moltisanti means many saints.

The film features Dickie Moltisanti, father of Christopher.

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2021 12:31 AM

David Chase is a twisted soul. I'm sure casting and making up an actress to look like Edie Falco was no accident.

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2021 12:32 AM

Aida Turturro was perfectly cast as cunty Janice. I’m curious to see how young Janice is portrayed.

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2021 12:35 AM

She’ll spend most of the movie under the boardwalk…with a schlong in her mouth.

by Anonymousreply 33June 30, 2021 12:50 AM

Before, after or during her Communion, R33?

by Anonymousreply 34June 30, 2021 12:51 AM

This is Tony as a teenager, so he's not supposed to be as menacing as his future mob boss self. What Michael Gandolfini needs to capture is the potential menace lurking under that teenage surface. We'll see.

If this is a hit, they'll probably do more Sopranos movies set in the late 70s and early 80s. They could certainly show us Tony's story at least through 1982 when he 'made his bones' and became a father.

One idea I think Chase will hit hard is the source of Tony's complicated attitude towards Christopher. He loved his Uncle Dickie, but this trailer makes it seem like Dickie was instrumental in sucking Tony into the mob. Years later, Tony would make sure that Dickie's son was doomed to be a mobster, too. He then murdered Christopher once he became a threat, but some of his homicidal rage towards Christopher could also be displaced anger at long-dead Dickie.

by Anonymousreply 35June 30, 2021 2:46 AM

Not going to be a hit IMHO. Interest in the Sopranos peaked some years ago even if I think it's one of the best, most compelling TV series ever. Not feeling it.

by Anonymousreply 36June 30, 2021 3:45 AM

The resemblance is uncanny.

by Anonymousreply 37June 30, 2021 3:48 AM

Michael does seem very gay but if he butches it up he’ll meet his father in the middle (who was so emo).

by Anonymousreply 38June 30, 2021 3:55 AM

Michael has his father's eyes, nose, and smile. He didn't get James's high cheekbones and strong chin, but that's okay because the Tony we knew was always pretty fat, so his bone structure was hidden, anyway. He's smaller than his father overall, but with the right costumes and camera work, he can look as big as they need.

The real test is if he can bring Tony's unique blend of menace and vulnerability. Even a young Tony Soprano would have both, and if Michael can't capture the dichotomy he won't be Tony Soprano, however much he resembles his father.

by Anonymousreply 39June 30, 2021 4:23 AM

I was offered the lead in The Sopranos but I turned it down. I am sick of the Edie Falco worship.

by Anonymousreply 40June 30, 2021 4:29 AM

A younger, thinner James.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41June 30, 2021 4:50 AM

Between this and the new SATC coming, it's going to be the HBO 2000 line up all over again.

by Anonymousreply 42June 30, 2021 5:20 AM

[quote] Not going to be a hit IMHO. Interest in the Sopranos peaked some years ago even if I think it's one of the best, most compelling TV series ever. Not feeling it.

Actually, HBO reported that during the first few months of the pandemic, The Sopranos was its most watched series.

by Anonymousreply 43June 30, 2021 6:00 AM

There are also plenty of folks who are now going the rewatch the original in the time leading up to this film.

by Anonymousreply 44June 30, 2021 6:12 AM

I feel like The Sopranos is still a big part of the cultural landscape. As opposed to Game Of Thrones, which kinda disappeared the week after its finale.

by Anonymousreply 45June 30, 2021 11:06 AM

Why do trailers reveal so much nowadays?

It's as if they don't trust the audience to be intrigued by what they don't fully understand yet.

by Anonymousreply 46June 30, 2021 12:21 PM

And he doesn’t even really look convincingly like his father on screen R6. I’m fairly sure he doesn’t have his father’s charisma, talent or acting ability as well. This will most likely be his one foray into acting and then, bye.

by Anonymousreply 47June 30, 2021 12:34 PM

R1 / R7 - There are a couple of restaurants in that area I like (Stamna, Boonsong & Cafe Mobay)

by Anonymousreply 48June 30, 2021 12:44 PM

If it is, so be it R47. As a fan of James Gandolfini and a fan of The Sopranos, I am thrilled that Michael has been given the opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 49June 30, 2021 3:50 PM

Michael Gandolfini already had a part in The Deuce and the Russo brothers' Cherry, and he's also been cast in their upcoming film, The Gray Man. He may not have his father's career, but Tony Soprano won't be the only role he plays.

by Anonymousreply 50June 30, 2021 4:19 PM

I’d like to see a Moltisanti v. Pentangeli death match.

by Anonymousreply 51June 30, 2021 4:26 PM

R43 Looks like a retread of Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale and Jersey Boys and though I'm a fan of the series and have re-watched it again over the years, the trailer doesn't make it look good and I'm not interested in seeing The Sopranos: The Early Years.

by Anonymousreply 52June 30, 2021 4:31 PM

You’re not curious at all, r52 even though you liked the series and obviously watched other mob related movies? I find that weird.

by Anonymousreply 53June 30, 2021 4:45 PM

I'm not interested in Butch and Sundance: The Early Days, Bonnie and Clyde the prequel . . . U get the point. Coppola's The Godfather II might be an exception even if physically Robert De Niro doesn't look like a young Brando and that film was a prequel and a sequel with the actors from the original continuing their characters' arc. And Goodfellas, The Irishman, Donny Brasco, The Soprano's are all first-rate, but the rest are pale imitations.

by Anonymousreply 54June 30, 2021 5:06 PM

R54 wears blinders when in the Louvre until he reaches the Mona Lisa.

by Anonymousreply 55June 30, 2021 5:43 PM

^ tone deaf

by Anonymousreply 56June 30, 2021 5:53 PM

R35 Uncle Dickie sucking Tony. Sounds promising

by Anonymousreply 57June 30, 2021 7:41 PM

I couldn’t get into The Sopranos, too violent.

by Anonymousreply 58June 30, 2021 9:45 PM

[quote] One idea I think Chase will hit hard is the source of Tony's complicated attitude towards Christopher.

Actually, that was one relationship that wasn't really clear, not explained in a satisfying manner on the Sopranos. It never made sense why Tony felt so familial with Christopher. Carmela supposedly had a closer family relationship to Christopher.

Yes, I realize Italians take family relationships seriously, but Tony and Christopher's relationship just seemed out of proportion for how closely (not very) they were related (by blood).

I could more easily understand Tony's relationship to Tony Blundetto (Steve Buscemi). With just a little bit of exposition, it became clear. They grew up as kids together. Tony fainted / crapped out the night they were supposed to do a job together. Tony B. ended up doing the job alone and ended up serving lots of time in prison.

Even David Chase said that Christopher, in reality, would have been killed much earlier. Due to him being a drug addict, a liability, etc.

by Anonymousreply 59June 30, 2021 9:47 PM

I didn’t realize Christafuh wasn’t actually Tony’s nephew.

by Anonymousreply 60June 30, 2021 9:51 PM

There is no blood connection between Tony & Christopher. Here's the breakdown.

[quote] Rather than being uncle and nephew, Tony and Christopher are actually cousins. On top of that, while Tony again frequently says that Christopher is not only his nephew, but his blood, that also isn't accurate. Dickie Moltisanti, Christopher's father, is the first cousin of Carmela Soprano (Edie Falco), whose last name before marriage was DeAngelis. So, Christopher is really Carmela's first cousin once-removed, and only a cousin through marriage to Tony. However, since Tony was close to Dickie and has acted like a father to Christopher for most of his life, Tony calls him his uncle - as Adrianna (Drea de Matteo) explains all of this to the FBI in The Sopranos season 5, it's "an Italian thing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61June 30, 2021 9:55 PM

Tony needed a mob heir and right-hand man, and he knew it couldn't be AJ for many reasons. He decided on Christopher, but later in the series it's clear that's not a secure position. If things had gone differently, Tony could have chosen Tony Blundetto or Bobbie Bacala instead. They were much more closely related via blood or marriage than Chris ever was.

by Anonymousreply 62June 30, 2021 10:38 PM

This movie gives Tony's mentorship of Chris a really nasty edge. Dickie pulled Tony into the mob and ruined him, so Tony did the same thing to Dickie's son.

It could have gone differently. The job Tony casually hands AJ at the end of the series could have easily been given to Chris. It would have been Chris's dream job: Easy, well-paid, adjacent to the mob but not right there in it, part of the entertainment industry but requiring far less ambition than most industry jobs. With a job like that, he could have been secure, successful, and sober. The job might have saved him.

AJ could have been given any of a dozen easy jobs and been fine, Chris's only chance was this one job, and Tony denied it to him. There has to be a deep rage at the core of that decision, and it's now clear the rage goes back to Dickie Moltisanti.

by Anonymousreply 63June 30, 2021 10:44 PM

Tony was a better husband and father than Dickie Moltisanti. Dickie did something stupid and got himself killed--he wasn't around to protect Christopher growing up. His widow Joanne was left an impoverished alcoholic.

Tony's death before the sealed indictments are handed down, and his careful stowing of assets in offshore accounts, means that Carmela will be left the richest widow in Essex county while still in her mid-40s. She'll marry again, probably to some clueless civilian like Vic Musso, and live a pampered, stress-free life. She won't live in genteel poverty like so many mob widows.

Tony's smarts and ruthlessness allowed him to live just long enough to see his family free of the mob life. According to David Chase, Meadow will marry a mob lawyer and AJ will be a low-level movie producer with mob ties, but neither will really be in the life. Their grandkids will be free of the mob entirely, and Grandpa Tony's exploits will be nothing more than colorful family legends, especially since Tony died before he could be convicted of anything serious.

Tony couldn't save himself, but he saved his wife and kids. That's the biggest fuck-you he could have given to Dickie, Livia, Johnny Boy, Junior, and all the rest. It's also something none of his contemporaries managed to pull off.

by Anonymousreply 64June 30, 2021 10:57 PM

This is what I loved about the Sopranos; you could discuss it endlessly like a great novel.

I always thought Tony genuinely loved Christopher; yes, he used him, treated him badly and of course ultimately killed him. But I always thought he had trouble seeing Christopher with the cool mercenary eye he used on others because he genuinely loved him. When Christopher challenged him, like the after the Jackie Jr. card game heist, you got the sense that Christopher's insubordination genuinely hurt him, more than just a boss dealing with an out of line employee

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2021 11:04 PM

[quote] There has to be a deep rage at the core of that decision, and it's now clear the rage goes back to Dickie Moltisanti.

This is the kind of stuff Chase does brilliantly. Does he have a formal education in psychology?

by Anonymousreply 66June 30, 2021 11:15 PM

Love and hate were always twisted up in Tony's mind, though: His relationships with his parents, all of his friends (except perhaps Silvio), and even his wife had elements of tenderness and brutality. He even admitted to having moments of hating AJ late in the series. The only person he treated with total love and affection--minus a few yelling matches--was Meadow.

Meadow may have thought that AJ, being the son in the family, was more important to his parents, but I honestly don't think that was true in Tony's case.

by Anonymousreply 67June 30, 2021 11:16 PM

Notice that Meadow had the same dark coloring as all of Tony's mistresses and the young Livia, as well as his idealized dream woman Isabella.

I'm not suggesting incestuous feelings towards Meadow. Rather, I'm suggesting that Meadow represented the pure and loving female ideal to Tony, the one he sought in all his other women and never quite found. The woman he wanted to please and the woman he wanted to protect and care for. Hence, his heartbreak when he finds out she's giving up being a pediatrician (the modern suburban version of the caring madonna) to marry a mob lawyer and perhaps becoming one herself. This was his final and most bitter disappointment.

Come to think of it, Meadow kind of sounds like Madonna, doesn't it? Clever Chase.

by Anonymousreply 68June 30, 2021 11:22 PM

Madonna really sounds like Meadow if you say it in the North Jersey dialect: Madon'.

by Anonymousreply 69June 30, 2021 11:27 PM

I heard this interesting interview with Chase on NPR where he talked about his mother leaving her first marriage & running away with this guy (Chase was some made up name), Chase's father. So it was like she gave up everything to be with this guy and her son was...something less than she hoped. Very Livia. I think that's why the Sopranos touches a nerve with people: under all of that mob stuff was a story about how the people we love most disappoint us, our disappointment in ourselves & who we've become and our love & anger at the people closest to us.

That's kind of why I wonder if show will be any good because the Sopranos at it's core was really Chase's story about his own family, specifically his mother.

by Anonymousreply 70June 30, 2021 11:45 PM

[quote] Tony's death before the sealed indictments are handed down, and his careful stowing of assets in offshore accounts, means that Carmela will be left the richest widow in Essex county while still in her mid-40s.

I don’t think so. Tony seemed like he hid most of his money from Carmela. Who would tell her how to access all the money? The attorney? The attorney seemed like a criminal himself. I don’t think Tony even had that much money saved for Carmela. He refused to sign the trust.

No, I don’t think Carmela would be broke like Angie was at first, after Pussy got killed. But she would have to watch her money.

by Anonymousreply 71July 1, 2021 12:08 AM

[quote]And now they can't - maybe we'll see a young Rosalie Aprile

I could watch an entire series based on Rosalie Aprile and Ginny Sack going to the beauty parlor, gossiping, bitching about their families, etc.

by Anonymousreply 72July 1, 2021 1:54 AM

YES, R72!

Chrissy Metz would make a great Ginny

by Anonymousreply 73July 1, 2021 2:02 AM

I loved the Rosalie Aprile character. I don't think she and Ginny Sacramoni would have been hanging out together, though.

by Anonymousreply 74July 1, 2021 2:09 AM

Ginny Sack is so fat, she had to have a 90lb mole removed from her ass.

by Anonymousreply 75July 1, 2021 2:15 AM

^Ralphie

by Anonymousreply 76July 1, 2021 2:15 AM

Coming soon a new movie from Chase--

Tony and Ralphie Meet Frankenstein

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 1, 2021 2:51 AM

[quote] Notice that Meadow had the same dark coloring as all of Tony's mistresses and the young Livia, as well as his idealized dream woman Isabella.

You know this is a show about southern Italians?

by Anonymousreply 78July 1, 2021 3:18 AM

They’re descended from Naples, right?

by Anonymousreply 79July 1, 2021 10:51 AM

As funny as it seems, Chrissy Metz as Ginny Sack in a prequel about John and their whole life would be fascinating… another “Sopranos Story” (as this film is subtitled).

by Anonymousreply 80July 1, 2021 10:53 AM

I do, R78, but Meadow could have been blonde: In fact, HBO wanted Jamie-Lynn Sigler replaced after the pilot with a blonde young actress. Chase fought to keep the dark-haired girl.

Also, Tony could have chosen any woman he wanted as a mistress. Chase had him repeatedly choose dark-haired women. He and Melfi even discuss it in his therapy sessions.

Chase specifically had Tony fixate on dark, traditionally Southern Italian-looking women (even when they were Russian like Irina or half-Cuban like Valentina) because he was making a point about Tony's obsession with the Italian Madonna ideal. An ideal his beloved daughter (whose name even sounds like Madonna in the Jersey dialect) also resembled. A daughter Tony desperately wanted to become a pediatrician, a doctor who specifically helps children lead healthy, happy lives. The type of life he wished his own mother had given him as a child.

This was not a coincidence. This was deliberate on Chase's part.

by Anonymousreply 81July 1, 2021 1:12 PM

I'm Italian (mob-adjacent Bronx family) and worked in advertising (gay art director like Sal Romano). Knowing both worlds very, very well, why is the Sopranos so compelling and authentic and Mad Men so pretentious and inauthentic? How does Chase get one so very right and the other, while successful, not so much?

by Anonymousreply 82July 1, 2021 1:25 PM

Mad Men isn't Chase's baby, it's Matthew Weiner's.

by Anonymousreply 83July 1, 2021 1:27 PM

Ah, I conflated Weiner's supporting contribution on Sopranos with lead on MM. Thanks for clarifying R83.

by Anonymousreply 84July 1, 2021 2:13 PM

Ginny Sack was thin and beautiful when John Sacramoni first saw her in the fur department at Wanamaker's.

by Anonymousreply 85July 1, 2021 2:50 PM

Didn’t she used to be a hoofer?

by Anonymousreply 86July 1, 2021 3:01 PM

Ever notice that when Tony gets involved with blondes, the women never try to fuck up his life: Carmela, the Icelandic Airlines stewardess, the chippy he fucked down in Miami in "Remember This," the stripper he got a blowjob from in "Cold Stones"?

The one time an encounter with a blonde woman boomeranged on him was when he fucked Svetlana, and that was Irina's fault. Svetlana would have happily taken the diamond horseshoe pin and never said a word.

It's the dark-haired women who always cause him trouble, even the ones he doesn't fuck: His mother, his brunette mistresses, Tracy the Stripper, his father's old mistress Fran. The exceptions to this might be Melfi and Meadow, but otherwise, Tony repeats the same destructive patterns over and over again with all of these LIvia stand-ins.

What the series never explains is WHY Tony married Carmela instead of a Livia clone. Melfi points out that he made one good decision in his life vis-a-vis women, but we've never really gotten insight into why he made that decision. Maybe the prequel film will clarify it.

by Anonymousreply 87July 1, 2021 4:14 PM

[quote] What the series never explains is WHY Tony married Carmela instead of a Livia clone.

Watch the trailer again.

by Anonymousreply 88July 1, 2021 4:32 PM

Yeah, I get that Vera Farmiga looks like Edie Falco. Maybe that was the point in casting her. The resemblance wasn't there in the original series, though: Nancy Marchand looks nothing like Edie Falco.

by Anonymousreply 89July 1, 2021 4:50 PM

[quote] Didn’t she used to be a hoofer?

No, it's that she has hooves.

by Anonymousreply 90July 1, 2021 5:18 PM

Oh no! The actress who played Ginny Sack died not long after the show ended, from liver cancer. She was only 46.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91July 1, 2021 10:08 PM

She had a hot 90 pound mole on her ass, but she couldn’t live forever.

by Anonymousreply 92July 1, 2021 10:10 PM

I always wondered if she was an actress. She seemed a little amateurish to me.

To answer the poster, I think Sopranos came across as more authentic because so much of the cast was from NJ and was Italian--they knew guys like this in the neighborhood and had heard the accent their whole lives.

by Anonymousreply 93July 2, 2021 1:44 AM

[quote] What the series never explains is WHY Tony married Carmela instead of a Livia clone.

I know we're talking about a TV show and not real life, but Sammy the Bull (on his youtube channel) talks about how they all married their friends' (goombas) sisters. The mafia families (even in New York) are not huge, and they're all inter-related. If you are of a certain age, you probably have a limited knowledge of girls your age whom you know and can date (and whose families are okay with being related to the mafia).

by Anonymousreply 94July 2, 2021 1:48 AM

No posts in 2 weeks?

by Anonymousreply 95July 15, 2021 5:03 AM

Funny you should post R95. I just finished reading this who’s who in the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96July 15, 2021 5:21 AM

The trailer is really highlighting Tony even though he only has a supporting role. If Mike Gandolfini pulls this off, he'll get another film where he IS the main character for sure. Maybe a limited series on HBO. I'd like to see one that shows Tony in the early 80s, newly wed to Carmela and just starting his mob career.

by Anonymousreply 97July 15, 2021 8:13 PM

First, Michael Gandolfini in this, then Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son Cooper is the star of the new Paul Thomas Anderson film coming out this year.

Let's see who's better!

by Anonymousreply 98July 15, 2021 8:39 PM

This could go either way, but since they’ve had an entire year more to edit or tweak it - and of course, the new “a Sopranos story” subtitle seems to indicate there is sequel/series potential - I’m cautiously optimistic. Certainly David Chase gives no fucks so it will be what he wants either way.

by Anonymousreply 99July 16, 2021 2:04 AM

New trailer up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 20, 2021 2:32 AM

Damn I saw the title and opened the thread just to post the SNL skit and R100 beat me by an hour.

by Anonymousreply 101August 20, 2021 3:37 AM

The trailer in the OP looks very… uncharismatic.

As if this is a sad cash grab with little other reason to exist, dramatically.

by Anonymousreply 102August 20, 2021 3:58 AM

REAL new trailer up. The best part is the scene with Tony and baby Christopher at the end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103September 8, 2021 5:10 PM

New trailer is sexier, more violent, better music.

Still on the fence whether I'll watch or not.

by Anonymousreply 104September 8, 2021 8:28 PM

DL Fav Billy Magnussen definitely seems to be “embodying” Pauly Walnuts… it seemed like a stretch casting someone so hot for such a specific character role, but apparently it works. David Chase did an interview last week and said Tony Sirico recorded an audio for all Billy’s lines so he could mimic the inflections, etc.. Either way, new trailer looks great!

by Anonymousreply 105September 8, 2021 10:39 PM

I'm definitely watching it!

by Anonymousreply 106September 8, 2021 10:41 PM

They did a story on this on CBS This Morning yesterday. Chase says it is not a Tony Soprano "origin story", it's a gangster movie. The younger Gandolfini is interviewed, and he gives off cookie-smeller vibes.

by Anonymousreply 107September 13, 2021 6:27 PM

Fam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 14, 2021 8:17 AM

Purses flying every where.

by Anonymousreply 109September 14, 2021 9:06 AM

I’ve watched the series episodes back to back a couple of times. I’ll watch the movie because of it, not because of the son being in it. I mean, why would Gandolfini Jr even bother? He inherited all his daddys’ loot. I don’t anticipate great things from him, because he’s lived large his whole life. And wasn’t this movie finished filming three years ago? Its sat there a long time. Viewers will be sentimental, but truth was, in real life JG was a drunken obese drug user, yes? A couple of former Sopranos actors have a podcast talking about the show. I don’t think the son has anu life experience to draw on, aside from finding his fathers bloated corpse.

by Anonymousreply 110September 14, 2021 9:38 AM

I assumed that this was going to be a series when I read about it years ago. Not feeling this as a movie. How much character development can we get in two hours with a character like Tony Soprano?

by Anonymousreply 111September 14, 2021 12:45 PM

R8/r9, they put a prosthetic nose on Vera.

by Anonymousreply 112September 22, 2021 3:11 PM

School days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113September 22, 2021 3:21 PM

Can someone explain to me why this ‘Tony Soprano is one of the greatest characters of all-time’ legend sprung up? Yes, the characterisation was well-done, but I think it’s going a little far to say GOAT status. Bear in mind we’re including ancient texts, ecclesiastical works, and the writings of great poets & playwrights in this metric.

by Anonymousreply 114October 1, 2021 10:33 PM

Would I be confused watching this if I never watched the original series?

by Anonymousreply 115October 1, 2021 10:40 PM

R114 I think it's true in terms of broadcast television.

by Anonymousreply 116October 1, 2021 10:45 PM

I Love Lucy is still a popular reference point, almost 70 years later. I feel the same way about The Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 117October 1, 2021 10:58 PM

Get real - young Gandolfini is repulsive looking. He has a giant misshapen head and a face that’s best described by the word “splat.” He’s also abnormally white, like he has leukemia or something.

by Anonymousreply 118October 1, 2021 11:54 PM

[quote] r118 young Gandolfini is repulsive looking. He has a giant misshapen head

He looks like a serial killer. Which I guess is appropriate for someone who found fame playing a mob boss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119October 2, 2021 12:44 AM

He has some of the same mannerisms as his dad which could help

by Anonymousreply 120October 2, 2021 12:45 AM

I just watched 1/2 hour of it.

It SUCKS

by Anonymousreply 121October 2, 2021 12:51 AM

I just streamed this on 123movies. It's quite violent. Ray Liotta was the most compelling character for me.

by Anonymousreply 122October 2, 2021 6:59 PM

I liked it. Not to give away any spoilers, but the main character is Dickie Moltisonti.

by Anonymousreply 123October 3, 2021 3:55 AM

I really enjoyed it. It wasn’t the same as the show and didn’t feature young Tony too much but it was interesting seeing young Paulie, Junior and Silvio. I loved Chris as the narrator.

by Anonymousreply 124October 3, 2021 4:04 AM

[quote]Get real - young Gandolfini is repulsive looking. He has a giant misshapen head and a face that’s best described by the word “splat.” He’s also abnormally white, like he has leukemia or something.

Actually, he grew up to be a handsome young man - he was pretty chunky as a kid & not that cute.

by Anonymousreply 125October 3, 2021 11:03 AM

[quote] Actually, he grew up to be a handsome young man - he was pretty chunky as a kid & not that cute.

He is not handsome. He looks like Miranda Hart

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126October 3, 2021 4:14 PM

Ray Liotta walks off with this thing. Badly written. But Alan Taylor could always make shit walk.

Dear David Chase, you're not up to it anymore. Retire.

by Anonymousreply 127October 3, 2021 4:40 PM

I really liked it. I am a Sopranos fan and went with a friend who has never seen the series and they loved it too. And I thought Michael was pretty good. Vera was incredible. I would love to spend time in this world.

by Anonymousreply 128October 6, 2021 10:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!