Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ANL Granted Right to Appeal the Summary Judgement of High Court in Favour of Meghan Markle!

This is more bad news for what is turning out to be, since the first Oprah interview, increasingly bad PR for the Sussexes.

Bear in mind, this means that ANL (the parent company of the Mail on Sunday, which published Markle Sr.'s letter (not in full, though), has been granted the right to challenge and try to overturn the Summary Judgement that Mr Justice Warby handed down so suddenly, without allowing the Defendant to present the expanded Defence he permitted them to include just a couple of months earlier.

Only if the Court of Appeal overturn's Warby's judgement does the case go back to the High Court for (finally) a trial. So, a trial is still nowhere in view.

Just the same, this is bad news for Meghan Duchess of Sussex, who thought it was done and dusted and she could just collect her damages.

It was also somewhat unexpected. The CoA must have found some reason in ANL's argument even to grant the right to appeal - the Appeals court is usually loathe to challenge a standing decision.

Should the unexpected happen, and the judgement be overturned, then a full trial will not be in doubt, and the PEOPLE Five can kiss their anonymity goodbye, the Palace Four (Knauf, Latham, Cohen, and Jones - that staff that Meghan's PR rep just called "incompetent and not up to the standard she demanded for her 'work') will be able to come forward with their version of events.

And as Meghan was stupid enough to call experienced, successful staff "incompetent" to excuse her treatment of them, they'll probably be only too delighted to appear as witnesses for ANL.

Really - they keep aiming for the Palace turrets, and instead the grenades just keep coming back through the windows of Casa Montecito.

The Oprah interview whilst Philip was dying and the Queen grieving, Harry's poorly received whingeing about his childhood and his parents and his grandparents, then the stupidity of the baby name debacle which left him branded as a liar including the registering of the domain names before he even called the Queen (how stupid can you get?), her book flopping, the nasty story about why Meghan left the Fiji Food Market event, Lacey's "re-editing" book making it clear the bullying story has legs, and now ANL, against all odds, granted the right to appeal Warby's suspiciously sudden Summary Judgement.

Not a good couple of months. I predict more grenades re titles and race conversations and victimhood and smearing of the poor girl . . . until they've built the Queen so solid a case for taking the titles and/or amending the 1917 Titles Act to restrict HRHs to children and grandchildren of direct heirs only that no one will do anything but applaud when she does.

by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2021 2:07 AM

It's normal for them to get appeals. What's abnormal is people who know nothing about the legal system trying to say this is somehow "bad news" for Meghan and Harry. It was expected.

by Anonymousreply 1June 23, 2021 3:13 PM

"... the Appeals court is usually loathe"

Oh, dear...

by Anonymousreply 2June 23, 2021 3:22 PM

R2 my phone likes Olde Olde English.

by Anonymousreply 3June 23, 2021 3:49 PM

Original ANL thread, one of them anyway

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4June 23, 2021 4:05 PM

Sun article

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5June 23, 2021 4:09 PM

What ever happened re: the issue that Oprah used doctored headlines in the interview? DM among others objected.

by Anonymousreply 6June 23, 2021 4:11 PM

I officially dispute r2's "oh dear" of r1. What's wrong with that sentence? "Loathe to" is correct usage.

by Anonymousreply 7June 23, 2021 4:13 PM

R7, “loath” would he correct here. “loathe” is a verb.

by Anonymousreply 8June 23, 2021 4:33 PM

Ahhhhhh - thank you, r8. I learned something today.

by Anonymousreply 9June 23, 2021 4:45 PM

R1 Not true. The CoA only hear cases that they consider arguable so they evidently feel that this one is. Of course that’s bad news for Markle, moron.

Remember, they are not deciding on the merits, only on whether there should have been a trial - a lower bar.

by Anonymousreply 10June 23, 2021 7:22 PM

r1, obviously it's bad news for the Harkles. They scraped by on this one previously only because Jason Knauf was refusing to testify. Perhaps that has changed...

by Anonymousreply 11June 23, 2021 8:48 PM

R10 - You're correct, the appeal is to overturn the lower court's judgement, which cut off the possibility of a trial, not to refight the original case. But it's not as low a bar as all that. ANL will have to demonstrate that Warby's judgement contained an error of law. ANL's argument, so far as I understand it, is that after giving ANL permission to expand its defence, the Court indicated that it believed ANL had an arguable case. Then, suddenly, turned around and refused to hear that same defence, instead announcing (and here is where I felt Warby was unwise) that anyone who thought [her] privacy hadn't been breached was being "fanciful". That statement is incongruous with, two months earlier, the same judge allowing ANL to include "Finding Freedom" in its defence.

There was a distinct aroma in the air of "practical considerations" suddenly making a full trial something to be avoided at all costs.

As you say, the CoA doesn't accept such applications just because they've been submitted, but only if it believes the appellant has an argument to make.

And, it also means that the original complainant will be asked to hand over the documents that Meghan's legal team kept stalling at the first court's level. By rights, they should have been held in contempt, but the sudden Summary Judgement ruling let them off for that, as well.

If they try fucking around with the CoA like that, they'll swiftly find themselves in deep legal shit.

And, the success of the appeal application means they didn't get paid the damages, so they are still out the legal fees they paid AND there will be more of same coming their way now.

by Anonymousreply 12June 23, 2021 10:15 PM

R11 - I don't think Knauf refused to testify. He submitted a Witness Statement outlining how much he had and had not contributed to the text of Meghan's letter to her father, which was deemed insufficient to expand copyright to him.

The Palace Four, of which Knauf was one, were never called to testify or put on a witness list submitted to the court. He has moved to Australia to be with his husband, who apparently got some sort of great job Down Under, or was transferred there to an important position from his current employer. You don't "refuse to testify" without a very, very good reason. You can be held in contempt of court. If this appeal succeeds and there is a trial, and he's put on the witness list, he'll have to testify.

Knauf is of more interest in the bullying investigation, really.

by Anonymousreply 13June 23, 2021 10:23 PM

Its all just too delightful my dears!

by Anonymousreply 14June 23, 2021 11:56 PM

YOU'RE MENTALLY ILL OP.!!! DON'T WALK, RUN TO YOUR NEAREST SHRINK!!!

by Anonymousreply 15June 24, 2021 12:04 AM

OR WE'LL KILL YOUR CHILDREN!

by Anonymousreply 16June 24, 2021 12:06 AM

AND YOUR LITTLE DOG TOO!!!

by Anonymousreply 17June 24, 2021 12:28 AM

r15 & r16, Post-partum rage?

by Anonymousreply 18June 24, 2021 12:33 AM

Just block the trolls.

by Anonymousreply 19June 24, 2021 12:45 AM

Some of you have been following this case more carefully than I have so you might know about this.

Wasn't there something about MM's side claiming that they could not provide emails that had been requested by the court because the emails had been destroyed, but another MM story had been reported where MM was claiming that she "had all the receipts" as proof of some other claim.

I seem to remember comments here wondering if her later comments were a contradiction to what had been reported to the court.

by Anonymousreply 20June 24, 2021 12:57 AM

Thank you r13. I didn’t understand that Knauf’s writing contribution or lack of it had to do with expanding the copyright to include him.

From the beginning I thought the copyright issue depended on how much of the letter was quoted. MM owns the copyright but part of the letter could be printed, just not all of it? So how did the MoS lawyers screw it up? Seems like it’s a mathematical formula, 33% of the content can be published or something. Did I get this wrong?

(Not r11)

by Anonymousreply 21June 24, 2021 1:02 AM

I'm not sure if there is a formula about how much of such a letter could be used and still claim protection under the Fair Use clause. The MoS did print quite large portions of it. They appear to have been advised that as long as they didn't print all of it or change or edit what they printed, they were on safe ground.

As far as the emails go, I don't remember what was stated by Meghan's side. That is, stated in court papers as opposed to rumoured.

She could have been held in contempt for doing so, and that may be why Summary Judgement to make it all go away was thought, er, prudent.

Despite Warby's occasional concessions to the MoS, it does seem that when it really came DC own to it, Meghan was handled with kid gloves.

I'm still curious as to whether pressure from BP occurred once Meghan mentioned that she had taken advice on the letter from "senior royals", which could only have been Charles and Camilla.

by Anonymousreply 22June 24, 2021 8:25 AM

^* down to it

Can we get an edit button one day to combat the fucking autocorrect?

by Anonymousreply 23June 24, 2021 8:27 AM

The DM also acknowledged the granting of permission to appeal today. It got overshadowed by the revelations of yet another lie by Harry about being cut off financially in the first quarter by his family (meaning his father).

If by some chance the appeal wins and that Summary Judgement is overturned, it will be a major, major blow for Meghan. It will this time mean a trial with all the shit coming out that she had hoped to ward off with the Summary Judgement. The PEOPLE Five and the Palace Four will again be lawyering up, and if she thought the last month or so was bad, wait till that trial starts.

The date for the appeal to be concluded is July 2022. That, I suppose, gives Meghan time get up the duff again and give herself another potential time out, especially as this time she will be expected to travel to appear in court as the lockdown will be over.

"I know, I know, we were only going to have two for the sake of the planet, but, well, you know how those moments of passion are!"

by Anonymousreply 24June 24, 2021 1:55 PM

R24– There’s already talk that she wants to drop the suit and concentrate on her US ventures

by Anonymousreply 25June 25, 2021 2:37 AM

R25 She can't now. She could have dropped it when she was the Complainant, but I don't think she can stop the Appeal, because it's the other party who has filed the suit this time.

Her suit already received a judgement. There's no longer anything she can drop. The Appeal is in ANL's ballpark. The time to withdraw the suit was before judgement.

How could she do the suit without dropping her favourable outcome?

If the judgement gets overturned on Appeal, and goes back to the lower court for trial, I suppose she could then withdraw it.

Bit she can't drop what she didn't file.

Besides, there's a quite good chance the verdict won't be overturned. Then she'll be twice vindicated.

But she will have spent a good deal more money that she'd probably rather have spent on other things.

Like more PR staff.

by Anonymousreply 26June 25, 2021 10:05 AM

R21, the primary claim in Markle's suit wasn't copyright, it was an "invasion of privacy" claim that would never be recognized under U.S. law. ANL raised a question of fact as to whether Markle had intended the contents of the letter to her father to become public. In the face of that, the judge granted summary judgment. His decision seemed poorly reasoned to me.

by Anonymousreply 27June 30, 2021 2:26 AM

I would hope you could appeal a summary judgment for pity's sake.

And why should the Appellee be allowed to offer more evidence at this point? The challenge is to the granting of the summary judgment and not allowing the case to proceed to trial on whatever evidence was before the court at that point. Additional evidence is not for an appellate court, it's for the trial court where it can be presented and challenged properly.

I'm saying all that not really knowing UK law. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 28June 30, 2021 5:25 AM

[quote] Besides, there's a quite good chance the verdict won't be overturned. Then she'll be twice vindicated.

There hasn't been a "verdict". The case was essentially dismissed. before trial. It was not allowed to go to trial. No trial, no verdict.

by Anonymousreply 29June 30, 2021 5:28 AM

Invasion of privacy? She wrote a private [sic] letter to her father using that clumsy calligraphy instead of normal handwriting. When I saw a photo of an except in the DM, my first thought was, she intended this to be publicized. She wanted her side to be heard and to gain sympathy, without actually having to release the letter herself. Her father was a pawn.

by Anonymousreply 30June 30, 2021 3:29 PM

And when HE did not leak it, she had "friends" bring it to People magazine and trash him to provoke him to do so, R30.

by Anonymousreply 31June 30, 2021 4:28 PM

"The first amendment is bonkers!" Poor old Harry must have run to a dozen pricey lawyers to try to sue US publications and been told he wasn't going to get rich playing Donald Trump's game.

by Anonymousreply 32June 30, 2021 4:32 PM

R29 - Ah, yes - reflexive but incorrect use of term. There was a Judgement, not a verdict.

by Anonymousreply 33July 1, 2021 1:47 PM

^ excerpt

by Anonymousreply 34July 1, 2021 2:26 PM

Isn’t she suing some other publication? Or it was just a complaint?

The lawyers must love her. They’re making out like bandits in all directions.

by Anonymousreply 35July 2, 2021 10:57 AM

Aren’t you tired Miss Hilly?

by Anonymousreply 36July 2, 2021 11:00 AM

Only of you, Cinesnatch.

by Anonymousreply 37July 2, 2021 11:50 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38July 14, 2021 2:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!