Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Update on Markle-ANL Lawsuit

Good God. During the NO TROLL week I check back and there are 10,000 threads on Meghan and Harry that are totally idiotic.

Well, this one is solely dedicated to the progress of Meghan's lawsuit against Association Newspapers Ltd (ANL) in her ongoing vendetta against PR she doesn't like.

Yesterday and today, we finally had the hearing on Meghan's application for Summary Judgement (i.e., the judge hands down a ruling on the case without a trial, because the other side doesn't have contestable issues or a hope of prevailing and it would be a waste of the Court's time and taxpayers' money to go forward with a trial).

During the hearings, ANL submitted a claim to have royal sources willing to testify regarding their involvement in helping Meghan draft the letter to her father that is at the heart of the case.

Two of the hour aides used to work for the Sussexes. One is Sarah Latham, their former Communications Chief. She now works for the Queen. It is alleged that Latham "fact-checked the now notorious "Finding Freedom", which calls into question Meghan's claim that she had nothing whatever to do with the book - in which case, why her personal Communications Chief told to "fact-check" it? Meghan amended her papers recently to acknowledge that she channeled information to the authors, strictly to ensure "accuracy". Her honesty, therefore, has already taken a couple of hits.

One of the other aides now works for the Cambridges - I think that wou.d be Christopher Jones, and the other two are Jason Knauf and Samantha Cohen.

The four submitted a letter through their joint legal representative (yes, they've lawyered up already) stating that while reluctant to become involved in the matter, they are prepared to testify to establish the truth and ensure "a level playing field".

ANL made an application to have this letter available to the public (the hearing was live-streamed to the public, by the way), which the Court agreed to, although stating as it did so that the letter means nothing more nor less than it says.

The hearing closed today, and Mr Justice Warby is expected to hand down his ruling on Meghan's application for Summary Judgement sometime later this week or next week.

It is clear that once the Court gave ANL permission to amend its defence to include "Finding Freedom", and denied permission to appeal that ruling, Meghan became desperate to avoid trial.

Whether or not ANL has sufficiently contestable issues re copyright infringement isn't something I have expertise to predict. Personally, I'd give it 50-50 either way.

By the way, when asked if he'd read "Finding Freedom", Warby said he had, but refused further comment on it.

If he denies Summary Judgement, ANL plans to call Meghan's PEOPLE FIVE, the four Palace staffers, and there is always the possibility that Charles and Camilla will be dragged in, as well.

So - predictions, thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 212May 5, 2021 6:46 PM

^*Associated (not Association) Newspapers

"Two of the four" (not hour)

by Anonymousreply 1January 20, 2021 10:39 PM

My word, I've never seen a poll take off so quickly!

by Anonymousreply 2January 20, 2021 10:40 PM

The advent of the Biden administration will make her new life that much harder. She’s surplus in her blathering.

by Anonymousreply 3January 20, 2021 10:44 PM

Two weeks of Prime Time and not a Klan Granny thread in sight, but as soon as it ends you rancid bitches are back.

by Anonymousreply 4January 21, 2021 7:20 AM

During the summary judgment hearing in Meghan Markle’s case against the Mail on Sunday and its publisher Associated Newspapers, new details about the extent to which Palace staff intervened were revealed.

Associated’s lawyers are arguing against the Duchess of Sussex’s team, who say that publishing the letter she sent her father Thomas Markle solicited unwanted intrusion into her private life and access to private information.

According to the publisher, the “Palace Four” played a part in the letter. Those four included the previously revealed Jason Knauf, former communications secretary, as well as former private secretary Samantha Cohen, former deputy communications secretary Christian Jones and former communications secretary Sara Latham.

Jones’ departure as Prince William’s private secretary and head of the royal household was announced Tuesday; he will join the private equity group Bridgepoint as a partner.

Associated’s lawyers hope to bring those four to testify should the case go to trial as they believe they have related information. They say a “senior member of the royal household” has provided them information on how Kensington Palace staff helped.

RELATED: Prince Harry And Meghan Markle Donate Lunch Ahead Of MLK Day

Their argument has attempted to prove that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle collaborated with the Finding Freedom authors by providing a copy of the letter but have still failed to bring substantial information.

Mail on Sunday editor Ted Verity claimed in a witness statement, Latham “was essentially fact-checking, to make sure the authors got nothing wrong” and that a rep from Sunshine Sachs “was responsible for making calls to ‘open doors’ to the authors of Finding Freedom.”

In reference to the Palace source who leaked the information, Verity added, “This was not gossip or tittle-tattle: it was what I considered to be high-grade information from a serious individual in a position of authority and responsibility who knew the implications of what they were telling me.”

Associated’s team are trying to argue that the letter was leaked to certain press members to help share Meghan’s narrative.

While Meghan’s lawyers have acknowledged the claim and said “a person” did give the author’s information about the letter, co-author Omid Scobie has provided witness testimony, clarifying that he was not provided with a copy of the letter, but instead used passages from the Mail on Sunday.

Meghan’s lawyers previously dismissed the claims in the biography, calling some of the details “inaccurate.”

In a statement to ET Canada at the time of publication, Prince Harry and Meghan’s rep said, “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were not interviewed and did not contribute to ‘Finding Freedom’. This book is based on the authors’ own experiences as members of the royal press corps and their own independent reporting.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 21, 2021 7:35 AM

Meghan Markle’s father testified in U.K. High Court on Tuesday in her privacy case against the Daily Mail.

In documents obtained by ET Canada, Thomas Markle testified what was his motivation for leaking a handwritten letter from his daughter to the Mail.

In a witness statement, Markle said that he released extracts of the 2018 letter to push back against “lies” that were being stated about him by anonymous friends of the Duchess of Sussex in a People report.

“I believe (and still believe) that Meghan wanted her account of the letter to be published,” stated Markle, 76.

He chose to release extracts rather than the full letter, he said, “because I thought the letter as a whole made Meg look terrible.”

According to Markle, he was “shocked” by the People article, which, he said, “vilified me by making out that I was dishonest, exploitative, publicity-seeking, uncaring and cold-hearted, leaving a loyal and dutiful daughter devastated”.

He had no choice, he said, but “to defend myself against that attack.”

Furthermore, he stated that People‘s report — that she had told him “that she loved me and that she wanted to repair our relationship” — was “false.”

“The letter was not an attempt at a reconciliation. It was a criticism of me. The letter didn’t say she loved me. It did not even ask how I was. It showed no concern about the fact I had suffered a heart attack and asked no questions about my health. It actually signalled the end of our relationship, not a reconciliation,” his statement continued.

“It was wrong for People magazine to say I had lied about Meg shutting me out — she had shut me out, as the letter from her showed.”

His decision to release those excerpts was so people could “read what it said in its own words” because “I did not think anyone would believe me”.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 21, 2021 7:37 AM

It's typical of Meghan to ignore the advice of all those who warned her that even if she won the case her public image would take major hits, and to assume that it would be a slam dunk and she'd look like a martyred saint heroine.

Now, she's desperate to avoid trial because of what else will come out.

I doubt ANL cares much of it wins ot loses. The money is chump change for them, it's Cost of Doing Business. Charles won a suit against them years ago, in which ANL was represented by none other than Mr Justice Warby himself.

But ANL will win its own case: throwing enough shade on Meghan's dishonesty, in public statements and her initial court papers, to damage her public image and reveal her for the nasty hypocrite she is.

But

by Anonymousreply 7January 21, 2021 10:31 AM

Today no one remembers that Charles won a privacy against the Mail, let alone that the Mail was represented by then barrister, now High Court justice Warby.

But what Charles said about the way the Chinese leadership looked after a visit in the part of his journal that was leaked to the Mail, is unfortunately now a matter of public record.

Charles won the case, no one cared, least of all the Chinese, who instead remember what he said about them.

If the Court denies Summary Judgement, any bets on whether Meghan will try to settle?

by Anonymousreply 8January 21, 2021 11:46 AM

The headline is misleading: Meghan's father did NOT "testify in court". He submitted a Witness Statement, as did Omid Scobie, Meghan herself, and at least one or two of the PEOPLE Magazine FIVE, that became part of the public record.

IF the case goes to trial, THEN Thomas Markle will be called upon to "testify in court", as will Omid Scobie, the PEOPLE Magazine FIVE, and the Palace Four.

The Witness Statement he submitted makes clear that he held on to the letter for six months after receiving it, and only gave it to the Mail when he saw himself defamed in PEOPLE Magazine by Meghan's dear friends who referenced it in their slavering article about her.

The copyright portion of the case is muddied by the "fair use" clause, in which journalism may replicate portions of a copyrighted work as long as they do not replicate all of it, or in a way which changes the entire meaning of the work, which the Mail emphatically claims it did not, and has the full text to prove it. The more recent muddying comes from the sudden appearance of the Palace Four, and whether and how much they contributed to the drafting of the letter.

by Anonymousreply 9January 21, 2021 12:35 PM

>> He chose to release extracts rather than the full letter, he said, “because I thought the letter as a whole made Meg look terrible.”

Since the copyright claim hinges on the full letter vs excerpts, this is very neatly put.

by Anonymousreply 10January 21, 2021 1:02 PM

Klan Granny WHORES shut the fuck up

by Anonymousreply 11January 22, 2021 12:14 AM

Why is it wrong to want to discuss this? It’s facts, not opinions, and it’s a legal case. And if you don’t like it, you don’t have to talk about it.

If the Mountbatten-Windsors lose this case, do they pay ANL’s legal fees?

by Anonymousreply 12January 22, 2021 12:48 AM

What a stupid waste of time and money.

by Anonymousreply 13January 22, 2021 3:52 AM

R13 - Agreed, but at least it's entertaining and somewhat instructive on the legal front.

I wonder how long it will take Warby to release his ruling?

Meghan probably undertook this in a frenzy of rage and is only now living through the wearisome tangle of hearings, astronomical legal fees, tortuous analyses of what the other side might have or does have, endless phone calls with legal counsel . . . but probably by now, especially after the events of the last 18 months or so, the initial rage has cooled but now she's stuck with seeing it through, instead of enjoying her her life, expanding family, and existence far away from Old Blighty and its tabloids in the very style and enviornment that was her real goal all along.

I can't imagine that it hasn't gotten tiresome rather than urgent. Why doesn't she just end and get on with her new life?

Legally, I'm not sure whether she can unilaterally withdraw the suit at this point without having to pay ANL's seven-figure bills as well as her own. That's as opposed to settling the suit, as ANL clearly isn't willing to settle, it has too much to gain by not doing so.

Any UK legal eagles about who can answer the question about unilateral withdrawal? I did find the CPLR for civil cases but my elderly eyes glazed over . . . .

by Anonymousreply 14January 22, 2021 1:38 PM

I have just discovered that it is possible for the Court to grant Summary Judgement on one part of the lawsuit but not the other.

That would be interesting.

It really would be too bad of Mr Justice Warby to deprive us all of the hugely entertaining spectacle of Palace aides, Omid Scobie, Thomas Markle, and whichever of the PEOPLE Five (hopefully amongst them, Jessica Mulroney) testifying and being cross-examined in open court. Not to mention La Markle herself.

Warby looks very butch. He probably reads this thread and will grant SJ just to spite the homos.

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2021 10:02 PM

I’m surprised Harry married someone who doesn’t like ANL.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2021 10:11 PM

Nothing juicy will happen. Nothing juicy ever happens.

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2021 10:32 PM

[quote]Nothing juicy will happen. Nothing juicy ever happens.

True. If anything starts to look lurid one of the Senior Royals will 'suddenly' remember something and the entire proceeding will dissipate immediately. They've done it before, as we all know.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2021 10:59 PM

Looks like interest is waning on this train wreck.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2021 4:07 PM

If she unilaterally withdraws she becomes liable for ANL's costs (incl 20% VAT). Said costs may be assessed by the court. She also has to pay her own costs.

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2021 4:26 PM

The hatred this girl generates is just breathtaking. And it says a lot more about the haters than the girl.

Hatred usually is grounded in fear. Fear in this case of non-Britons and people of color. (Colour?)

She weighs a hundred pounds and you’ll never meet her. Stop being afraid of her.

by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2021 4:32 PM

So let's see. The palace aides did editing and made suggestions for this supposedly private letter in their capacity as employees of the BRF. Seems to me Sparkles doesn't "own" it at all, it belongs to the Firm. Additionally, at Firm expense, she directed Latham to fact check a book she previously claimed she knew nothing about. Sparkles lying.

Go take a walk and try to get your breath R21. This lawsuit was instigated by poor widdle helpless female Markle. Awwwww

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2021 4:45 PM

Projecting much, r22? I just feel pity for xenophobe brits who are terrified of foreigners and POC.

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2021 4:46 PM

Huh? The topic is a lawsuit that Markle filed. Did you get your breath back yet?

by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote]I just feel pity for xenophobe brits who are terrified of foreigners and POC.

r23, now you just run along and work through your own neuroses in your own time.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2021 4:57 PM

Yes, MY neuroses, because I’m obsessed with and consumed by hatred fo a person I’ve never met and ever will.

Let me give you a little advice. When you find yourself in a hole, don’t try to dig your way out.

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2021 5:03 PM

Awww poor dumb Sparkles and her even stupider dumbass husband. Nobody should ever comment on their legal doings, sob. SO UNFAIR

Why should the BRF lift a finger for these two again? They tried to help them with her family pre-wedding, contrary to Markle claiming they never "protected" her. I don't think they will here.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2021 5:09 PM

R23 The Markle/Harry obsessives are NOT British. They're middle-aged American women.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2021 5:14 PM

On another thread they are saying that Melania had an 'Einstein' green card. If they gave one to her, did they give one to Dim?

by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2021 9:55 PM

"Nothing juicy will happen. Nothing juicy ever happens."

Well, you're hard to please! Beg to differ: senior royals and senior aides in the Palace being dragged in? Meghan revising her papers several times and backtracking on earlier assertions (I had nothing to do with the book! I had nothing to do with the book! I had nothing to do with the book . . . er, well, I DID feed them information through third parties, and I DID have my then Communications Director "fact check" the book . . . but just for "accuracy" [my version of accuracy])

That bottom feeder Scobie now sweating it out? The PEOPLE FIVE now sweating it out?

Come, come - what did you want? Photos of Scobie and Markus Anderson going at it?

That said, I do wonder if the Palace will do Meghan a favour and apply, shall we say, a bit of "pressure" on Mr Justice Warby to grant SJ to keep the Palace Four from testifying . . .

Which in itself would be quite juicy - because it would surely get out at some point and leave egg all over the Monarchy's face.

Why, there no end of juicy possibilities!

The juice hasn't "run out" on this train wreck: we're waiting for the next installment, which, perforce, cannot occur until Mr Justice Warby renders his judgement.

by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2021 10:12 PM

Haha that's a funny thought about Einstein. Harry couldn't get out of high school or get promoted in the army without cheating/getting gran to help. But yeah, he deserves an Einstein hall pass.

by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2021 10:15 PM

"I just feel pity for xenophobe brits who are terrified of foreigners and POC."

Sweetie, it's Meghan who launched the lawsuit on a major press agency that grabs headlines whenever a chapter closes, not DL.

I can just hear you if Warby doesn't grant SJ, or only grants it to one of the issues and the rest have to to trial . . .

"I JUST FEEL PITY FOR THE XENOPHOBIC ENGLIGH HIGH COURT WHOSE JUDGES ARE TERRIFIED OF FOREIGNERS AND POC, BECAUSE OTHERWISE HE'D HAVE DONE EXACTLY WHAT MEGHAN WANTED HIM TO DO!"

Cheer up, Pet: he may yet come through!

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2021 10:19 PM

And, speaking of quirky intersections . . .

It hasn't gotten much play in the press that Mr Justice Warby was a member 5RB chambers for 32 years. 5RB is Justin Rushbrooke's chambers, as well (he is representing Meghan).

I don't think that means much, but there it is.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote] Harry couldn't get out of high school or get promoted in the army without cheating/getting gran to help. But yeah, he deserves an Einstein hall pass.

People worry about immigrants to this country, fair enough, within reason. Why is Hal allowed to come here and live here without all the fuss and bother that even Melania had to put up with, green cards etc? Being married to a US citizen doesn't do it, as a rule.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2021 11:53 PM

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of wealth and its influence, r34? That's how Poalo Zamppolli trafficked women, not just Melania. Mel got "lucky" and married Trumo. I'd like to know how the rest of his escorts failed and where they are now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 25, 2021 1:05 AM

R30 I want dramatic courtroom testimony, surprise witnesses, shocking twists!

by Anonymousreply 36January 25, 2021 1:11 AM

I want Ben Miller to play Mr. Justice Warby in the made for tv movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 25, 2021 1:42 AM

R30 - As do we all.

The Queen, in case anyone forgot, brought the Burrell (speaking of bottom feeders) trial to a stop by suddenly "remembering" that Burrell had, indeed, been informed that he could keep some of Diana's possessions, in order to prevent other really ugly stuff that Burrell had been privy to re Charles and Diana from coming out.

In this case, however, the royal in question isn't a future King widowed from a hugely popular charismatic dead saint, but a sixth in line who abandoned his country in one of its darkest hour married to a woman hugely disliked by the UK populace (when they stop to think about her at all in these surreal days).

I'm interested in the sudden appearance of the Palace Four in the case. Their immediate lawyering up and public statement about being willing to testify could be seen as either a threat by the Palace (it's absurd to believe the four didn't consult with HM's advisors on this before making the statement) to pressure the Court into bringing this all to a close with Summary Judgement . . .

Or, alternatively, a threat to Meghan that the Palace no longer cares what becomes of her reputation and has given the four aides permission to allow the course of British justice to take its course without, er, interference from the Palace.

Sara Latham is one of the four. She was once the Sussex's Communications Director, and her very large salary was shared between the Queen and the Prince of Wales. When the Sussexes bailed screaming about their victimisation, the Queen took on Ms Latham.

But while working for Meghan, Latham was told to "fact-check" "Finding Freedom" - the book Meghan swears she had absolutely NOTHING to do with.

It's a safe bet that Latham knows far more about Meghan than Meghan is comfortable with, given that Latham now works for the Queen whom Meghan so unceremoniously betrayed.

So, what's the guessing? Will the sudden appearance of the Palace Four force an end to the trial and pressure Warby into granting Summary Judgement?

Or does their appearance signal that the Palace has no objection to their involvement, and leave Mr Justice Warby (who was elevated to the Court of Appeal this in 2020 - ANL could easily appeal Summary Judgement if it wishes) free to render judgement without extra pressure from the Palace?

I think either view could be the case. Judgement should be forthcoming end of next week, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 38January 25, 2021 1:12 PM

All of this, over the most trivial nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 39January 25, 2021 1:15 PM

R39 - Tell it to the Complainant.

Meanwhile, trivial nonsense is the lifeblood of DL.

At least it brings up issues of a free press and what constitutes privacy by famewhore celebrities.

How does it compare, say, to the thread open about a rentboy who farted whilst being rimmed and whether the renter should still tip him?

by Anonymousreply 40January 25, 2021 1:20 PM

Whatever happens, one thing is certain: the Sussexs have shot their reputations to pieces through idiocy and have sunk to that Dail Mail C-celebrity netherworld inhabited by Fergie and trout-lipped WAGS, where, to gain any interest from the public at all, they must resort to ‘Look At Moi!’ antics & frantics. They don’t understand they’re OVAH.

by Anonymousreply 41January 25, 2021 1:25 PM

R40 I wasn't complaining! I was marveling over the triviality of the original complaint. I for one love hot messes and ridiculous drama.

by Anonymousreply 42January 25, 2021 1:55 PM

From a story in the NYTimes Style Magazine on Edith Wharton's Undine Spragg character printed on 1/20/21: But perhaps the present-day celebrity who most readily recalls Undine Spragg is Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, or Rachel Meghan Markle of Woodland Hills, Calif., as she once was. The daughter of a yoga teacher and a veteran lighting director and DP on daytime soaps and sitcoms (he won awards for his work on “General Hospital”), Meghan was seemingly always ambitious, both as an actress (her first role was on a TV show where her father worked) and in her romantic life. She married her longtime beau, a film producer named Trevor Engelson, in 2011, only to divorce him within three years (“Trevor went from cherishing Meghan to, as one friend observed, ‘feeling like he was a piece of something stuck to the bottom of her shoe,’” according to the controversial royal biographer Andrew Morton’s 2018 book “Meghan: A Hollywood Princess”). Then, having moved to Toronto for an acting role, she reportedly had a relationship with a celebrity chef, Cory Vitiello, originally of Brantford, Ontario. But the young man voted “Best New Chef in Toronto” in 2009 by Air Canada’s in-flight magazine enRoute could never have been a match for the then fifth-in-line to the royal throne of the United Kingdom, and in the summer of 2016, she abruptly parted company with Cory and took up with Harry, Duke of Sussex, whom, as we all know, she married and with whom she currently has one son, Archie.

Along the way, Meghan became estranged from her father and from her half-siblings. Undine, on the other hand, manages to retain ties to — and to remain to some degree financially supported by — her endlessly faithful and indulgent parents until the novel’s end. It’s impossible to know what really happens within the confines of a couple or a family, including (or perhaps especially) the British royal family, but one might recognize Meghan’s unhappy experience in Wharton’s explanation of Undine’s disenchantment with Ralph Marvell: “During the three years since her marriage she had learned to make distinctions unknown to her girlish categories. She had found out that she had given herself to the exclusive and the dowdy when the future belonged to the showy and the promiscuous; that she was in the case of those who have cast in their lot with a fallen cause, or — to use an analogy more within her range — who have hired an opera box on the wrong night.”

by Anonymousreply 43January 25, 2021 3:43 PM

Part 2 from the NYTimes: Meghan — Morton’s book includes the claim that she was “always fascinated by the royal family” — may have believed when she met Harry that the British royal family was the acme of glamour and achievement, but she seems to have discovered, upon her arrival at court, a stifling, rule-bound prison where she could not be herself. Just like Undine, trapped with de Chelles’s tiresome relatives in the country seat of the wonderfully named (and actual) Saint-Désert, in France’s Bourgogne region, Meghan appears to have longed for freedom and excitement. And perhaps like Undine, “she wanted, passionately and persistently, two things which she believed should subsist together in any well-ordered life: amusement and respectability; and despite her surface-sophistication her notion of amusement was hardly less innocent than when she had hung on the plumber’s fence with Indiana Frusk.” In the case of Meghan, the “plumber’s fence” wasn’t in Apex City but in Los Angeles, where her notions of amusement (and allure) were likely formed by childhood visits to the sets of the television shows on which her father worked.

So Meghan has returned, apparently indomitable, and certainly now much richer, to the city of her birth, with husband and son in tow. When, while married to de Chelles and living in France, Undine again meets her adolescent love, Elmer Moffatt, now a self-made billionaire, she has a profound realization: “His face, his voice, the very words he used, were like so many hammer-strokes demolishing the unrealities that imprisoned her. Here was someone who spoke her language, who knew her meanings, who understood instinctively all the deep-seated wants for which her acquired vocabulary had no terms; and as she talked she once more seemed to herself intelligent, eloquent and interesting.” This perception, one assumes, is akin to the exhilaration and blossoming that Meghan may have felt when she returned to her homeland, and more than that, to her native L.A. celebrity culture. After all, the language of neighbors such as Nicole Kidman, Jennifer Lawrence and Jennifer Aniston is one that we can imagine she speaks fluently, that she has grown up speaking, and in which she feels fully understood. Like Undine, indeed like countless American girls, Meghan grew up with a fairy-tale (dare one say anti-feminist) fantasy, nurtured by the shimmering, largely fictional, narratives of gossip columns (in Undine’s day) or glossy magazines, films and, now, social media. Both women, with businesslike dedication, appear to have pursued a mirage that, when attained, could only disappoint. But both women — unconquerable, conceiving of themselves as heroines — seem to confront the challenge with their own best interests firmly in view and find a positive way forward. They make lemonade out of lemons; they reinvent themselves; they keep on climbing. Spare a thought, however, for Meghan’s consort, whose native customs and country are so very far removed from where he now finds himself, and who must discover within, in order to thrive, the adaptability and resilience of an Undine or a Meghan. Were Wharton writing their story — or rather, chiefly the story of the indefatigable social-climbing (anti)heroine — one fears the prince might not fare well.

by Anonymousreply 44January 25, 2021 3:44 PM

Sparkles not gonna be happy with THAT.

by Anonymousreply 45January 25, 2021 4:45 PM

R42 - Apologies.

R40

Meanwhile, that NYT article on "The Custom of the Country" is astonishing in the shade it is throwing at Meghan. The TIMES, as One knows, is so very supportive of One when One is mixed race and Oppressed by the Establishment . . . (the same Establishment that put her where her own talents couldn't get her).

I wonder if Meghan will now sue the TIMES for suggesting she's [gasp!], just a . . . just a . . . well . . . just a social climbing goldigger famewhore opportunist whose only measure of a thing or person is, Does It Enhance One's Vision of Oneself?

I suppose the TIMES Editorial Board is also a pathetic group of xenophobes afraid of foreigner and POC.

Humour aside, this kind of upfront shade in America's "paper of record" (translation: not the UK tabloids) is really, um, huge.

I'm surprised they ran it.

by Anonymousreply 46January 25, 2021 7:29 PM

Thanks, r43. I missed that article when it came out.

You know who probably didn't miss it? Oprah. And Michelle. I'll bet they both have [italic]The Custom of the Country[/italic] on their reading list now. Claire Messud's portrayal of Meghan Markle as a latter-day Undine Spragg is dead accurate, and absolutely devastating.

by Anonymousreply 47January 26, 2021 12:16 AM

I see her also as Becky Sharp in Vanity Fair. With Harry as her aristocratic, adoring galoot of a husband.

by Anonymousreply 48January 26, 2021 1:39 AM

Ugh. I am so tired of the California bashing.

And furious with her for reinforcing it.

by Anonymousreply 49January 26, 2021 2:16 AM

What do we prefer?

Undine Markle

Or

Meghan Spragg?

We owe the TIMES one for priceless inspiration.

I'm team Meghan Spragg.

by Anonymousreply 50January 26, 2021 10:28 AM

It appears that in the print edition of the Messud's article that appeared in the Sunday TIMES Magazine "Style" section - all mention of Markle was edited out.

I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 51January 26, 2021 5:37 PM

Which Times? Rupert's London Sunday paper or the NY Times?

by Anonymousreply 52January 26, 2021 7:31 PM

This is not being reported in the media because it did not happen.

by Anonymousreply 53January 26, 2021 7:40 PM

R52 - NY TIMES

by Anonymousreply 54January 27, 2021 12:05 AM

I was hoping the reports that Klan leader the Titles Troll had perished were true, but the putrid bitch seem to have re-emerged on this thread. The pandemic rages on so there's still time for her and the Pet Troll to die lingering deaths on ventilators, and hopefully they will.

by Anonymousreply 55January 28, 2021 12:44 PM

I'm surprised they haven't said anything about r/wall street bets and the GME trades. This is getting all the headlines in all the news now. A new bandwagon for them to jump on.

by Anonymousreply 56January 28, 2021 6:15 PM

R56 - The TIMES is covering that story today.

by Anonymousreply 57January 29, 2021 12:45 PM

R47 - I'd agree with you re Mrs Obama, but my guess is that Edith Wharton is way out of Oprah's trendy, superficial, Meme of the Moment comfort zone.

Mrs Obama, on the other hand . . .

by Anonymousreply 58January 29, 2021 12:48 PM

Harry should have known Meghan was dishonest and false the moment he took off her push-up wonder bra and those two sad little titties fell out. Talk about disappointment!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 29, 2021 2:25 PM

The Maul says he’s going home in June and Julybut she’s staying in California

by Anonymousreply 60January 30, 2021 1:43 AM

Oh what a shame. Why would Sparkles miss the Saint Diana statue unveiling?

by Anonymousreply 61January 30, 2021 3:22 AM

I compared Markle to Undine Spragg in a DL thread months ago. Should I sue the NYT for stealing my idea? Markles would say yes.

by Anonymousreply 62January 30, 2021 4:29 AM

I thought we agreed on Undine Markle. ?? Well, I did so pls keep up with me...

by Anonymousreply 63January 30, 2021 4:40 AM

Can Meghan go on about Jewish Space Lasers ever again?

by Anonymousreply 64January 30, 2021 6:30 AM

[quote] Humour aside, this kind of upfront shade in America's "paper of record" (translation: not the UK tabloids) is really, um, huge.

Yes, R46, the US tide is slowly starting to turn also.

People are are weary and tired of the hypocritical preaching. And the grifting.

There was an unfavorable article today also in another US print that was equally trenchant.

Think it was Spiked....or something.

by Anonymousreply 65January 30, 2021 6:43 AM

I also think people just don't have time for Harry and Meghan's dumb legal dramas and endless self-promotion when we're all trying to weather the godawful shitstorm left by the last administration. Plagues and financial depressions tend to put things in perspective.

Harry and Meghan would have done well to spurn the Sussex title and head for America right after the wedding. They were riding high in the public's opinion then, and they could have spun it as giving up inherited privilege to do good in the world. They would have had a good 2 years before COVID hit to establish themselves.

by Anonymousreply 66January 30, 2021 6:47 AM

Their timing really sucked, although that was bad luck in the main (or perhaps karmic intervention.) It will be interesting to see if they can regain the momentum or they outsmarted themselves.

After COVID is resolved there will be a crazy roaring twenties 2.0. Does Meghan's - um - contribution to the the zeitgeist - still resonate in that? For me it feels like we're going more for an 80s Dynasty feel than Kumbaya reimagined and redux. Their brand seems so weighted down and blame and shame... is that going to work in a world that wants to party?

I think there's a good chance their production deals will be fraught with behind the scenes drama (stubbornness, lack of talent, lack of experience), received poorly by the critics and when it is all done and dusted they'll be left with the wreckage, divorce and go their separate ways. Hopefully the kid doesn't turn into a Kennedy type mess. She strikes me as the type who just loves the attention and the money, so she's probably got what she wants no matter how it turns out (unless they overspend.) He's vulnerable to being loved so he'll probably go home, find a decent woman to sort him out, and return to the fold wondering WTF happened there?

by Anonymousreply 67January 30, 2021 12:44 PM

Even Wallis Simpson went back to the UK a couple times... at least once officially when they unveiled the Queen Mary memorial. She sucked it up. MM avoiding the Queen's and Duke's birthdays and the Diana statue unveiling so as not to distract... bullshit. She's got a track record of moving on and not looking back. Here it is again.

And I'd bet $20 she suddenly materializes for the Diana statue.

by Anonymousreply 68January 30, 2021 12:46 PM

[QUOTE] Their brand seems so weighted down and blame and shame... is that going to work in a world that wants to party?

You have read the zeitgeist wrongly. People have broken the routines of centuries - like expensive drinks with friends after work - and realised they don't miss them at all. Those who went out to eat three times a week have now decided that they prefer eating in. They're not going to return to their financially ruinous habits so we have a decade of excess. People are now ultra cautious about infection and mask wearing is here to stay.

by Anonymousreply 69January 31, 2021 10:29 AM

[QUOTE] Hopefully the kid doesn't turn into a Kennedy type mess.

If he has Harry's brains there is no chance of that. All the Kennedys were academic.

by Anonymousreply 70January 31, 2021 10:31 AM

They're 40. They're too old, it's over. Nobody listens techno...

Don't worry about them. They needed the Crown. They'll fade away.

by Anonymousreply 71January 31, 2021 10:43 AM

Well, we should be hearing from Mr Justice Warby by mid-week or so.

I agree with R66. Their timing was disastrous. They either should have stayed in till they had two kids and more of a track record inside the BRF, especially given how bad it looks that Harry abandoned his country in one of its darkest hours, leaving the field to the Cambridges, Cornwalls, and Wessexes as the dutiful royals doing their bit - or ditched their titles as soon as they left and put their money where their mouths were.

But they knew that without the titles and their connection to royalty, no one would care what they said or did, so they tried to have their Well We Are But We're Pretending Not To Be cake despite the Queen's fist coming down on that, at least, within the UK.

COVID dealt the Harkles a really bad card.

Back to topic here: Meghan has two options if the Court denies Summary Judgement:

Take her chances at trial

Withdraw the case, pleading a new life, new baby, new home, putting negativity behind them, and sparing friends and family all that press intrusion and "media circus" - even if it does cost her a few million in legal fees.

Settling would have been a third option, but we all know that ANL won't settle now, it smells blood in the water with the Palace Four coming forward and Omid Scumbie and Abigail Spencer and Jessica Mulroney et al. looking forward to being skewered by Antony White QC, and finding themselves with a choice between sticking by the Lying Duchess or perjuring themselves under oath.

Any guesses as to which Meghan will opt for if the Court denied Summary Judgement?

by Anonymousreply 72January 31, 2021 4:04 PM

R69 I think people will be well and truly sick of that dreary way of life. I look forward to some irrational exuberance.

by Anonymousreply 73January 31, 2021 4:27 PM

R55 is a cunt. Just sayin'

They don't like people to drag Meghan but here happily wish anyone who doesn't adore her dead.

We're dealing with sick fucks here. Or Meghan's PR.

by Anonymousreply 74January 31, 2021 4:38 PM

R69 Just like the Roaring Twenties...

by Anonymousreply 75January 31, 2021 4:40 PM

[Quote]They're not going to return to their financially ruinous habits so we have a decade of excess. People are now ultra cautious about infection and mask wearing is here to stay.

Clearly, you're not an American.

by Anonymousreply 76January 31, 2021 4:46 PM

I think the Summary Judgment will be denied, and considering that stubborness and delusion are her natural places, Duchess Sparkles will press on with the lawsuit. Glorious days ahead for all gossips.

by Anonymousreply 77January 31, 2021 9:22 PM

R55 - ooohhhhhhh look, Pet is upset again! You can always tell as she pulls out all the gas fire and ventilator shit when she's REALLY angry!

How did all the, er, flagging, reporting, database shit and stuff being sent to the FBI, a "powerful black lobbying group", legal authorities, police, etc., go?

Not well? Thought not - checked in at LSA and see the Unpopular Opinions Part 2 and it's up to more than 6,400 pages. Harry Markle Wordpress doing well, too.

Note to Pet: must try harder!

by Anonymousreply 78February 1, 2021 2:22 PM

Back to thread topic: with nothing to do but muse on legal and other issues . . .

I see that the majority opinion in the poll is that the Court will not grant Summary Judgement, I'm assuming because ANL opened too many, er, holes, with Finding Freedom and the sudden appearance of the Palace Four.

I only give it 50-50 either way. What the public sees as "obvious" may not rise to a legal threshold of "contestable".

The only reason I might give a NO from the Court slightly more weight, is that Warby probably knows full well that with the issues it has raised, ANL will feel on safe ground appealing the decision if he does grant Summary Judgement, and the thing will just drag on.

Which is rather like saying he believes ANL does have an arguable case, I suppose.

I do find the legal issues interesting, because in the era of social media and pervasive, 24/7 media presence, freedom of speech and press are coming up against "social responsibility" and who gets to define the boundaries.

So I will be interested beyond Meghan specifically to hear what Warby says in his decision as he will also explain why he arrived at whatever decision he arrives at.

by Anonymousreply 79February 1, 2021 2:31 PM

I was over at the Gawker thread and saw that Caity Weaver is now writing for the NY Times. And she was reporting for the Times as a spectator in the crowds that gathered at Windsor for the Sussex wedding. She threw some not-so-subtle shade even before Markle's antics became known.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80February 4, 2021 10:20 AM

Markle was such an unattractive bride. I laughed so hard when I saw the wedding pics.

by Anonymousreply 81February 4, 2021 10:37 AM

^^she looks heinous in the pic just above your post, huge in that awful fitting scotch taped dress with the worst makeup. Oh well, the wedding is just a happy memory now

by Anonymousreply 82February 4, 2021 7:32 PM

She looked perfect in the second dress, with the turtleneck, at the reception. But the first was so bad! Why? How did that happen?

by Anonymousreply 83February 4, 2021 8:15 PM

R80 - What an unfortunate angle for Harry's head in that photo.

She was rather underwhelming as a royal bride.

by Anonymousreply 84February 4, 2021 11:47 PM

I believe we are to hear some time tomorrow about the judge's decision on Summary Judgement.

If he shuts the case down, there's an end of it.

If he doesn't, the next poll will be, whether Meghan will fight to the bitter end, or withdraw on the basis of her newly expanded family, sparing her friends the media circus, and looking forward rather than backward to the Sussexes happy new life in America, free of negativity and full of compassion and kindness.

by Anonymousreply 85February 4, 2021 11:51 PM

If the judge doesn't dismiss, it will definitely be the latter. Even if the decision costs her several million in legal expenses.

I wonder if that and their recent legal victory with the tabs will even out the field and keep them from launching frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 86February 5, 2021 2:07 PM

What a stupid bitch to take on the British press. She has been laying very low. I hope she is very worried because she damn sure should be. Who is paying for all of these lawsuits? Prince Charles? Between all of the PR and lawyers, it must be an astrological sum! Just think of the people who need help right now. It is a sickening waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 87February 6, 2021 12:44 AM

Puh-leeze, R87: it is sickening but the Duchess of Woke - Lady Bountiful to the lawyers - could care less about the poors: they exist as background for her oh-so-spontaneous pap shots. And as recipients of her bananagrams.

She has to go to LA for her staged charity photo ops. There aren't enough poors in Montecito.

by Anonymousreply 88February 6, 2021 1:11 AM

(R88) You are right, of course. Above all she is a snob, desiring to be elite. Too bad for her that the elite want nothing to do with her. I have the popcorn ready for the court case and the reveal of her six months of texts and emails!

by Anonymousreply 89February 6, 2021 1:38 AM

R86 - It was a minor legal victory. The judge slapped Harry's hands, forced him to amend his "statement", and knocked down Harry's demand for 35,000 in damages (which were in fact the amount of his legal costs) to 2,500, and as the case was settled, each side had to pay its own legal fees, which means for this rather insignificant "victory", Harry had to pay 32,500 quid.

I wonder what's take the court so long to rule on the Summary Judgement application. In trials, usually when the jury comes back within an hour, one can draw some conclusions about that means before the verdict is read out.

It's when the jury is out for days that the sides get nervous.

In this case, I'm not sure what it means. Either it's a complex ruling (say, Summary Judgement on one issue but not the other), or he's simply very busy, or he has to write up a very long, explicit outline of the basis for his ruling.

The ruling is provided to both sides before being made public, so that each side has time to craft a public response. Then the ruling and the response are made public.

by Anonymousreply 90February 7, 2021 1:41 PM

"Who is paying for all of these lawsuits? Prince Charles?"

They have insisted from the start that they are standing the cost of all these lawsuits themselves, and that Charles no longer supports them. Of course, "no longer" means after this year - he agreed to float them for one more year when they threw their toys out of the pram and left.

They bought a $14 million dollar home for which they are carrying a $9 million mortgage (that is, the company in Meghan's name that bought it is). The property taxes and maintenance for a 9-berdroom, 16 bathroom home with a large swimming pool, a guest house, and extensive grounds requiring extensive security must be mammoth.

They certainly received a retainer from Netflix and Spotify - that's how those contracts work, it's a "first look and if we buy then you get more money). But if they received $10 million between Netflix and Spotify, they're probably just keeping ahead. The problem is, it costs money to produce programming, so they have to spend on that, too.

They had about half a dozen lawsuits working. Harry lost one, they settled two (the military appointments farce and the photos of Archie pap one), and so far as I know the two major ones that remain are Harry's phone hacking suit (that goes back to the now dead News of the World scandal, I believe) and Meghan's suit that is the subject of this thread.

You'd think people pushing positivity would just want to move on with their lives. But they feed on drama, which is counter-productive to contentment, maturing, and ceasing to put anger at the core of all their efforts.

by Anonymousreply 91February 7, 2021 1:51 PM

Harry may also be blowing through the trust fund that Diana left each son.

by Anonymousreply 92February 7, 2021 1:52 PM

[Quote]it must be an astrological sum!

All together now: Oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 93February 7, 2021 1:57 PM

R93 - LOL. Guilty as charged - typing too fast.

by Anonymousreply 94February 7, 2021 2:03 PM

It was a good laugh, r94.

by Anonymousreply 95February 7, 2021 2:27 PM

What newly expanded family, R85? Had not seen she is expecting again?

by Anonymousreply 96February 7, 2021 8:52 PM

The ladies on LSA believe she is pregnant and this is why she hasn't been seen. I do not . I hope not.

by Anonymousreply 97February 8, 2021 3:13 PM

Now she is keeping the pregnancy secret??

by Anonymousreply 98February 8, 2021 9:17 PM

That is what some people think. That or she is using a surrogate, thus the hiding. Again, no one knows, just guessing.

by Anonymousreply 99February 8, 2021 9:19 PM

I think the assumption that she's pregnant again (which I also think likely) is that she successfully applied for such a long delay in the trial, getting it put off from early January to late October. Having publicly acknowledged her miscarriage the prior July, it is likely that as she turns 40 this year, Meghan tried to get pregnant again as quickly as possible, and with a recent miscarriage, did not want to take chances with extensive travel (she was expected to be in London for the trial) or undue stress or, of course. the risk of COVID. The fact that ANL did not raise a single objection and the Court immediately granted the long delay suggests that she is indeed pregnant again.

If she is, she probably did not announce it in order to be sure things were safely on track again. My guess is that she is probably due in early summer, which would make it possible for her to travel in late October.

Alternatively, she could also have been undergoing fertility treatments in California that also mandated staying at home. Obviously, there was some reason compelling enough to raise no objection from the other side, hence the assumption that she's pregnant.

The Court is now a week later than it initially stated as the time frame for releasing its ruling on Summary Judgement. What that means, only someone with a crystal ball or a mole in chambers of either side can tell us.

by Anonymousreply 100February 9, 2021 2:43 PM

I think she will do anything, including faking her own death, to avoid 6 having 6 months of her SM exposed.

by Anonymousreply 101February 9, 2021 2:48 PM

I do wonder what it taking Mr Justice Warby so long to announce his ruling.

by Anonymousreply 102February 9, 2021 6:21 PM

According to The SUN and some other outlets, the Court's ruling on Meghan's request for Summary Judgement will be published tomorrow at 4PM.

This means that the parties have already received drafts of the judgement in order to make corrections, so they already know the outcome.

Here's my betting: although I would love a juicy trial with lots of gossip, it is my belief the Court will grant SJ on at least one if not both issues.

I've asked around amongst some legal types, and their feeling is that although ANL has done a good job with what it has, the bar as to what rises to the legal threshold of a "contestable" issue in court is quite a bit higher than it is in the minds of the general public.

There is also the issue of whether, if the Court grants SJ, ANL will request permission to appeal. Mind, I was also told that in the appeal process, the real aim is to conclude that there was an error of law on the part of the lower court. I'm not sure ANL will be able to do that, either.

Call me cautious, but if cold hard cash were on the line, I'd be laying it on the Court granting Summary Judgement. It would be delicious if I'm wrong as the trial would have been fun, but I'd not part with money on it.

Another reason I wouldn't put cash on it, is the DM is about the only outlet that does NOT have it up that the ruling will be announced tomorrow - it seems to me that if they already knew the ruling went in their favour, they'd be letting the public know in big letters that the ruling was coming down tomorrow.

That's my analysis, legal eagles.

At any rate, we shall have found out by tomorrow at this time.

by Anonymousreply 103February 10, 2021 7:59 PM

Just to clarify: the ruling tomorrow is not the Court's ruling on the case itself if it grants Summary Judgement, but its agreement to rule on the case without a full trial. It's unlikely that even if he grants the request to forego a trial, he's also already made a decision on the actual merits of the case. That would probably come later. Tomorrow's ruling should be on my on whether or not a trial will be required.

by Anonymousreply 104February 10, 2021 9:07 PM

The Palace has probably stepped in at this point since the case threatened to pull in senior Royals. They just want the whole thing to go away.

by Anonymousreply 105February 10, 2021 9:10 PM

If Summary Judgment is granted to her she'll be more insufferable and will probably publish another opinion piece in the NY Times or some other media outlet. Part of me enjoys the snark on their inanities and part of me wishes the Harkles would go silent for several months.

by Anonymousreply 106February 10, 2021 9:12 PM

She would do that even if the case went on, though. She'd whine to the press about being persecuted by the tabloids while pregnant or a 'new mother.' She really deifies the whole mommy thing.

by Anonymousreply 107February 10, 2021 9:21 PM

R105 - That thought has, of course, occurred to many: did the Palace quietly put its thumb on the scales of justice to make the whole thing go away so that the Palace would not in any way become involved?

No way to know, but if true, then fair play to Meghan for being savvy enough to threaten the Palace with dragging C&C into it, betting privately that the Palace would rather do her a favour and put a stop to it, than risk being dragged into it.

I wonder if Warby knows that that's a risk he'd be taking if he grants full SJ? Looking like he's helping the Palace with a cover-up?

Well, as they say, if there's no proof, there's no problem.

Every time I see Mr Justice's full name (Mark Warby) I want to call him Marcus Welby.

Perhaps, for Meghan, he will indeed turn out to be the Good Doctor who fixes everything.

by Anonymousreply 108February 10, 2021 10:41 PM

I tell you, if the Court grants Summary Judgement, the Harry Markle Word Press and LSA Unpopular Opinions folk are going to go nuclear. I'm not sure which blogs will be more indicative of the lunacy Meghan generates: those two, or the SussexSquad.

Will it ever end? One hopes, and then again, one hopes not . . .

by Anonymousreply 109February 10, 2021 10:44 PM

This is a great article on the Harkles general situation now, including where the lawsuit stands at present.

Forbes is turning out to have some of the most informative and least hyperbolic coverage on these two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110February 10, 2021 10:46 PM

Good story, R110. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 111February 10, 2021 11:41 PM

Forbes is really decimating them.

by Anonymousreply 112February 11, 2021 5:41 AM

After that takedown, Justice Warmby's articulations might be the most benign-ever juror's prudence, Evah.

by Anonymousreply 113February 11, 2021 5:45 AM

R10. Thank you. It has occurred to me that this may be shut down, so to speak, to protect their child. Exposing six months of her SM may reveal private information about their baby or his birth. Just a thought .

by Anonymousreply 114February 11, 2021 10:00 AM

Well, blow me down, if it wasn't a split decision!

Frankly, I'm surprised Warby didn't shut it all down - as I said above, I would never have put hard cash down on ANL winning this one. I was mistaken, however, in that Warby actually produced a judgement on one issue today, not just a granting of a Summary Judgement after further consideration.

I'm sure Meghan and Co., including her bottom-feeder lapdog, Scobie, and Meghan's hysterical stans on CB and the SussexSquad are ecstatic, but I do think ANL managed to sow enough doubt in the public mind to land a few blows on Meghan's public image.

I doubt the Palace intervened in this in any way, because the issue still to be resolved is the copyright issue, and that's precisely the one that involves the four Palace aides, and, potentially, Charles and Camilla.

I also doubt ANL will get anywhere on appeal. First, they have to get permission, and second, the Appeal Court would have to find a serious error in law in Warby's ruling, and I doubt that is the case.

Well, it's too bad about the privacy issue as it would have been beyond juicy

All that said, the War Between Markle and Mail is far from over. The Mail don't scare easily, and they'll just be more careful from now on about how they put the boot in where she's concerned. I'm also still certain they have more on her that they are storing for future use, as well as paid moles in her orbit.

Until the copyright issue unfolds at trial, then, children - I suppose we may say on this thread: case closed.

by Anonymousreply 115February 11, 2021 6:01 PM

I wonder if finally getting some of these lawsuits settled (or half settled) will convince the Sussexes to move on from the litigation phase of their public career. It seems like a lot of trouble and expense for every little payoff.

by Anonymousreply 116February 11, 2021 6:06 PM

Sparkle's word salad on the verdict. She really is insufferable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117February 11, 2021 6:14 PM

No - this will encourage them to file more lawsuits, r116

by Anonymousreply 118February 11, 2021 6:15 PM

What is she talking about when she says the MOS printing excerpts of letter give by her father is illegal? I don't recall Justice Warmby stating this was illegal. Such a drama queen.

by Anonymousreply 119February 11, 2021 7:28 PM

Yes, she's acting like she won the entire case, but she didn't. The copyright issue has yet to be decided.

by Anonymousreply 120February 11, 2021 7:44 PM

So she won the invasion of privacy part, but the copyright issue - the central issue in the case - is still undecided?

by Anonymousreply 121February 11, 2021 7:47 PM

Yep, according to The Express, Warby said:

[quote] . . the issue of whether Meghan was "the sole author" of the letter or Jason Knauf, formerly communications secretary to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, was a "co-author" should be determined at a trial.

He said: "The Court is persuaded, however, that there should be a trial limited to issues relating to the ownership of copyright."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 11, 2021 8:02 PM

Oh good grief! Can you just imagine how much more insufferable this narcissist will become now! 🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 123February 11, 2021 8:29 PM

[quote]Oh good grief! Can you just imagine how much more insufferable this narcissist will become now!

Suck it, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 124February 11, 2021 8:32 PM

The Lipstick Alley ladies will be in tears! Tears I say!!!! 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

by Anonymousreply 125February 11, 2021 8:50 PM

I think one of the issues was that the Mail printed more than 40% of the letter in its excerpts. If the excerpts had been fewer or lesser, the Mail might have been able to depend upon the "fair use" clause. This is always a dicey issue, as it pits the public's right to know against the expectation of privacy.

by Anonymousreply 126February 11, 2021 9:36 PM

Meghan's statement is typical of her grandiosity. To say that we all need high-quality, fact-checked news is to pretend to deliberate blindness of the reality of the media, and not just the modern media: you have your broadsheets and you have your fun stuff, and they often overlap. Yes, the tabs have been doing this for a century and more, and they're going to go on doing it, despite frequently losing cases like this. For them, this is chump change.

And, I notice, she made no mention of the fact that she only won half the case, the judge declined to offer her protection from trial re the copyright issue, which is likely to bring in her dear friend and former Communications Director, Sarah Latham.

It is a good day for Meghan, I won't say that it isn't, but the grandstanding re the media and the tabloids is vomit-inducing. They are who they are, and a world with only high-quality, fact-checked news would be unbearable.

It would be like eating spinach every night for dinner.

And if, dear Meghan, you hadn't gone out of your way to pick a fight with the UK press a year before you had even hooked Harry, perhaps they'd have been just a little - bit - kinder.

They won't be any kinder now, dear. They are going to be on your fat ass like ducks on a June bug.

by Anonymousreply 127February 11, 2021 9:43 PM

I told you bitches it wouldn’t get juicy. It never gets juicy.

by Anonymousreply 128February 11, 2021 9:43 PM

We've kind of slid over the free press issue here, which several media outlets have, understandably, been clearly unhappy about. Mark Stephens, of Howard Kennedy, said that this ruling essentially manacles the press and makes them unable to debunk celebrities' self-curated images, allowing them to deceive the public at will, as it were. Here is a link to The SUN article with his quotes in it.

I always thought this the more interesting underlying issue, and if Stephens is right, than Meghan certainly has put the boot in in a way she was clearly aiming to do. I think this is far more disturbing than not getting juicy gossip about her petty lies about collusion with that stupid book or the PEOPLE article.

I think in that sense this case was more complex than it first appeared. Where is the line between privacy and the public's right to know they're being snookered by a clever celebrity?

I wonder in what way the Mail could have published the letter that didn't overstep the privacy line.

Re the copyright issue, apparently the judge's ruling is not so much that Meghan might not have copyright, but that others may have a share in that same copyright, and she didn't have FULL copyright. What that would actually mean in terms of damages, etc., I don't know. Even if Palace aides do have some share of copyright, they aren't suing ANL, so what, in effect, does that actually mean? If there is no Complaint from others with potential copyright on the letter, how is there a breach of copyright?

I would guess that this outcome will engender some hard feelings toward Meghan in press well beyond the tabloids. After all, the media at large know when one of them are attacked, the rest are, as well.

Sooner or later, the moment for revenge will arise, and the media will seize it with gusto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 11, 2021 10:21 PM

The NY Times seems to like her. They wrote a very sympathetic story on the summary judgment decision.

by Anonymousreply 130February 11, 2021 10:56 PM

The New York Times is a trash tabloid to me at this point. R129- nails the heart of this issue, center ship. Imo it also illustrated that the rich and entitled are never held accountable for their actions Very unfair and disturbing verict, imo.

by Anonymousreply 131February 11, 2021 11:52 PM

Meghan won! I thought the Klan Granny cunts were keeping very quiet. They never thought this would happen. Meg was supposed to be disgraced and bankrupt, lose her title and her Netflix and Spotify deals.

by Anonymousreply 132February 12, 2021 12:42 AM

Meghan won nothing. The world saw her cold blooded treatment of her father. And it was all so the sick bitch could look like a maytr. She is a disgusting piece of trash . The female Trump. Garbage person. 🗑️🗑️🗑️🗑️🗑️🗑️

by Anonymousreply 133February 12, 2021 12:58 AM

I assume Meghzy was awarded costs against the Sunday Fail. Why can't Warby J publish his judgment online?

by Anonymousreply 134February 12, 2021 1:24 AM

I would have forgotten all about how badly she treated her father if this ridiculous case hadn't been brought to remind me of it.

r133 is right. Meghan is nothing short of a scumbag.

by Anonymousreply 135February 12, 2021 1:31 AM

Meghan is worse than ....

by Anonymousreply 136February 12, 2021 1:39 AM

Another one who agrees that the case just reminds the public of how shabbily she has treated her father.

by Anonymousreply 137February 12, 2021 4:05 AM

R130 Of course, the NY TIMES likes her. She's a biracial ill done by victim of racist Britain and its racist monarchy and in America to show the world how to live a progressive life whilst holding on to unearned medieval titles and privileges. The fact that she's a hustler without an iota of talent who played bad faith with a family and country that actually welcomed her, who wakes up every morning thinking about her next Look How Great I Am! move, is of absolutely no interest to the TIMES.

And certainly not to its black Executive Editor.

Even if she did put Caucasian on her CV, never dated men who looked like him, cultivated a nearly all-white circle of friends, refuses to wear the hair that would nail her blackness to the mast, is on her second white husband, and made sure to breed with a man who would nearly guarantee a child do white no one would guess from looking at him that his Gran looks like Doria Ragland.

by Anonymousreply 138February 12, 2021 9:38 AM

The discussion about what this means for a free press in the UK is beginning to surface. One would think the TIMES would be somewhat invested in the concept.

What the Mail should have done is set up an interview with Markle, Sr., and quoted him writing portions of the letter to show she wasn't quite the loving but heartbroken daughter her friends suggested.

I also think the judge played fast and loose with the public by rhrowing what appeared to be some juicy bones to ANL. And then at crunch time ruled as if those bones didn't exist, no need to follow where they might lead, and did what he'd probably intended to do all along. I think he simply created a record that couldn't be challenged on the basis of total bias against the Defendant.

I hope ANL tries to appeal just for form"s sake, partly for that reason: that the judge allowed them to expand their defence and then refused to allow them a trial at which that expanded defence could be used.

Warby called the idea that her privacy hadn't been breached "fanciful". If that were the case, why allow ANL to include that stupid book in its defence? Why bother with all the hoop la around that? Why didn't the Complainant ask for Summary Judgement long ago instead of so late in the case?

Something about this from the bench's side smells of panto. Which, often, is the case in litigation.

by Anonymousreply 139February 12, 2021 9:55 AM

^* quoted him reading (not writing) portions of the letter.

by Anonymousreply 140February 12, 2021 9:57 AM

On to the next drama....

by Anonymousreply 141February 12, 2021 10:15 AM

Great to see Meghan triumphant. Thomas Markle is an obese, low life scumbag who will be dead soon. Of course the elderly Klan fuckers on here identify with the poor and old rather than the young, ambitious and thriving.

by Anonymousreply 142February 12, 2021 10:15 AM

R142 - yes, he's such a scum he held onto her letter for months until she got her friends to bad mouth him in People mag. If he's a scum, his daughter learned her lessons well.

by Anonymousreply 143February 12, 2021 12:28 PM

R142 - Ah, there you are, Pet. We knew you'd surface.

Meghan ghosted that scumbag, who took care of her whilst her Mum disappeared, put her through an expensive university so she wouldn't get out burdened with debt, and spoiled and doted on her. The moment she began dating royalty, she ditched him. Then she encouraged her friends and her bottom feeder lapdog, Omid Scobie, to badmouth him publicly, and only THEN did he release the letter - six months after receiving it.

Meghan's a chip off the old scumbag, all right.

Listen, Pet: don't think for a moment the UK press will forget this or treat Meghan with kid gloves from now on. She won one battle, but there are lots of others down the road. The press here have very long memories. They'll wait for their chance and when it comes, they will crucify her ever so carefully.

Meanwhile, us Klan fuckers will be waiting patiently.

Don't forget to take your meds, Sweetie Pie.

by Anonymousreply 144February 12, 2021 12:49 PM

I think the news should stop reporting on her and Harry as most of what they do is not newsworthy. The court case is of course an exception. These two breathe media attention. How successful will they be if they just have zoom and the social media they claim to despise? Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the comments on these two on DL but at some point they fail to entertain because it's the same old same old with them. Meghan turned out to be a big disappointment to lot of people. Because on one had heard of her we all though she was low key and private. Boy were we wrong!

by Anonymousreply 145February 12, 2021 2:12 PM

I just adore you, R144! 😘 Very well said. When you ghost all of your friends, 3 families, all of your ex-husbands, boyfriends, the problem isn't all of them, it is you. As another observed, she is and never will be happy because nothing is ever enough. Who gives up a life of ultimate luxury and privilege to fail backward and end up a LA hustler?! She thought she would become Hollywood royalty, instead she became a Hollywood joke. She lost what little reputation she had left with this case. It only proved what a disgusting person she is, not to mention a pathological liar. She markled herself.

by Anonymousreply 146February 12, 2021 2:26 PM

I wonder what kind of an exit plan she is crafting for the end of her relationship with Harry? DL predicted a retreat to. L.A. about halfway through her pregnancy. We only erred in timeframe; I recall they were given 3-5 years.

by Anonymousreply 147February 12, 2021 7:19 PM

She will accuse him of horrible abuse. She will of course play the long suffering victim who soldered on despite hideous abuse. She left because of the child she can't bare to touch because she is the best mother ever to mother. It will be as sickening and phoney as she is. Her heart she does not have is broken to pieces. No one has ever been as abused as she was. Hapless Harry deserves it all. Vomit inducing. Cancel her, please

by Anonymousreply 148February 12, 2021 7:28 PM

Very comical to see the elderly Pet Troll come out sparring. Of course Meghan rejected her grotesque father after he and Wheelchair Samantha sold story after story to the press. Meghan and Harry left him to rot in Mexico and they left the zombie queen and bully William to rot too.

Wrinkly Kate is looking her age, but you Klan crones worship the old so you all probably admire her more and can't wait until she's in her 70s like your idols Charles, Camilla and Thomas Markle.

by Anonymousreply 149February 12, 2021 9:25 PM

What a shame. They are a shameful family.

by Anonymousreply 150February 12, 2021 9:49 PM

Aren't you just precious, R149. Making fun of an elderly father and a disabled women. You are putrid, just like your revolting fantasy lover. That fugky bitch markle would not spit on you if you in flames. Idiot. FF and ignore.

by Anonymousreply 151February 12, 2021 10:16 PM

R149 Who cares. Kate is going to be QUEEN, and get to wear ALL the jewels.

by Anonymousreply 152February 12, 2021 11:30 PM

Kate will be Queen and look like the current queen does in her 50s and beyond - a raddled, floppy necked mess. Meghan will get the best surgery money can buy and stay looking permanently 40.

by Anonymousreply 153February 13, 2021 2:05 AM

'Making fun of an elderly father and a disabled women.'

It's 'woman', you illiterate racist cunt. Let's hope the mutant strain of covid gets you while you're queuing for the bus and you die slowly and horribly on a ventilator.

by Anonymousreply 154February 13, 2021 2:07 AM

Absolutely hilarious watching all the Thomas Markle stans on here crying.

by Anonymousreply 155February 13, 2021 2:08 AM

Great to see Meghan triumphant. Thomas Markle is an obese, low life scumbag who will be dead soon. Of course the elderly Klan fuckers on here identify with the poor and old rather than the young, ambitious and thriving.

by Anonymousreply 156February 13, 2021 2:15 AM

R156- We know who the racist cunt is, CUNT. You . It is so pathetic that the only come back you and that fucking ugly hag have to any criticism is too scream: RACIST! IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THE UGLY FAILURE AT LIFE YOU HAVE TO BE A RACIST!!!!!!!! As if fugly is sooooo special (needs) that one MUST be a racist to find her repulsive, lmao! Yet the unpopular, untalented, unattractive failure at life married a man who wears a Nazi uniform for fun. She can even spell the word irony. She is trash and so are you. She went from royalty to cheap hustler in one year. One year! She has no looks , charm, talent, friends, family . Her jealously of Kate is hilarious because Kate has everything this ugly bitch will never have and would KILL for. She is stuck with an ugly, balding red head who is almost as stupid as she is. She not only failed, she failed spectacularly. But you keep your delusions, they are amusing. 🤡

by Anonymousreply 157February 13, 2021 4:46 AM

Triumphant? They are still going to trial for the copyright dumbass. She's been mocked and rejected publicly and ignored by Hollywood. She's a global laughingstock yet you r156 think that 40 year old hag is "young" and "thriving"

by Anonymousreply 158February 13, 2021 9:21 AM

R158- It isn't fair!!! She has only been biracial for 3 years!! It's hard, sob!! If only she had the means to disappear from public life and live in peace and not leak five stories a day in the tabloids she supposedly loathes. Oh, snap.

by Anonymousreply 159February 13, 2021 12:02 PM

Next in the Daily Fail: New leaked pictures of Meghan Markle , unfortunate looking wife of the even more unfortunate looking Prince Harry, HANGING FROM CROSS!! In this exclusive, non- existent friends of Meghan leaked these stunning pictures of Duchess Dumbbell cosplaying Jesus Christ himself at the crucifixion. Her hands and stunningly large, bunion filled feet tied with rope on a large cross, purchase tags from her puke green dress showing. " Well, I would be afraid of pissing Jesus off" said one shocked source. Apparently Meghan is determined to be worshipped as Lord and Savior to the peasents she feels are beneath her. When asked for a statement, Buckingham palace replied " We don't know her." No word on Harry or Archie, as Meghan has refused to acknowledge their existence.

by Anonymousreply 160February 13, 2021 12:45 PM

Editorials and analysis of the decision are beginning to appear now, and the gist of them is mostly the same: the decision, without benefit of trial to explore the evidence, sets a precedent without a trial by a judge that effectively privileges one set of people, i.e., wealthy and powerful celebrities who can afford expensive PR organisations and control what the public knows about them.

Attached is a link from The Guardian's latest on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161February 13, 2021 12:51 PM

R157 - I agree with most of your post with the exception of the phrase "almost as stupid as she is".

Come now: Harry is much stupider than Meghan. He's dumber than a box of rocks. She's shallow, hypocritical, dishonest, calculating, and manipulative. But she is gifted with some savvy street smarts.

Credit where due and all that.

by Anonymousreply 162February 13, 2021 12:54 PM

R162- Very true, lol! Her unentitled ego trips her up everytime. She thinks the world sees her as her father did, perfect.

by Anonymousreply 163February 13, 2021 12:59 PM

R156 thinks 40 is "young". Her math is quite as bad as her grammar and judgement re people.

Darling Pet: average life span is about 78. Forty is middle-aged. As far as the medical community is concerned, her first pregnancy (let alone the second on now likely in progress) is professionally termed "geriatric".

I don't doubt she's thriving - after all, the former Suitcase Girl on Deal or No Deal is far richer than she used to be and having married up so brilliantly, has the kind of home she's always wanted in the place she's always wanted, and all it took was three years of having to blow Harry often enough to keep him compliant.

The BRF is thriving, too - well rid of her and him, with Willian, the Queen, and Kate occupying the top three spots in royal popularity in Britain. Because it's only Britain that matters in terms of their royalty.

In fact, Meghan's done the BRF a favour with this lawsuit: they have no more love for the tabloids, which have brutalised them over the years, than she does.

So the BRF got two birds killed with one stone: they're rid of the Sussexes, Meghan got the UK press muffled, and the RF itself is tootling along just find without them.

I'm imagining a secret meeting amongst the editors of the Mail, SUN, Mirror, Express, and Standard at which they set up a lawsuit-proof strategy for going after Meghan no matter how long it takes.

Don't kid yourself, Pet, for a moment, that this isn't a realistic possibility.

Stay tuned, dear.

by Anonymousreply 164February 13, 2021 1:01 PM

I do not think the press feel as if they have a choice at this point. This is about censorship. I agree it is also about the different treatment the rich and entitled recieve as well. However, imo, the real danger is a slippery slope of losing freedom of the press. The rich would like it to be impossible to report any negative coverage of them. That is why this case is so dangerous, again in my opinion only.

by Anonymousreply 165February 13, 2021 1:13 PM

R165 - I agree, and this issue is what was more compelling about this case, in my opinion, in anything we found out about Meghan, because most of us got her number long ago.

Britain has never had a free press in the sense Americans understand the term. In fact, press freedom is one of those things that is rated periodically, and the country that always comes out on top is (wait for it) Denmark.

Battles between the royals and the press have been going on for decades, and the BRF has quietly pushed for laws that make it not only difficult, but financially extremely dangerous for all but the most powerful media outlets to risk litigation.

So, as mentioned above, the BRF are likely high-fiving each other at this outcome, which not only appears to shield Meghan from further bad press, but the rest of the core family: the Queen, Charles, Camilla, William, and Kate - and, possibly, Andrew, as well.

The real question is, when is bad press based on public information v. privately leaked information? Bad press will keep occurring, it's what kind of bad press and where and how obtained that is the question.

I agree that the UK press have no choice but to band together at this point and start taking seriously the fight for their freedom to inform the public when a celebrity is lying to it.

Hence, the need, for the sake of that fight, to lodge an appeal against this decision, and to make sure the public knows exactly why.

There is a limited time frame to lodge an appeal. I don't for a moment expect an appeal to succeed, but it needs to be lodged, anyway, so that the public know that this decision is about further privileging the already rich and privileged, and that the judge set a precedent without benefit of trial to explore evidence that he himself allowed the Defendant to include in its defence.

At the very least, this would further stain Meghan's image, enhancing one a recently entitled twat throwing her weight around in a country she is no longer even pretending to seek citizenship in.

The next "event" on the horizon is the end of March, when the public expects the Palace to clarify issues around Harry and his military appointments (which have been vacant for a year: they have to fill those posts and cannot wait any longer for Harry to "come home" to do so, nor can they, without looking like perfect fools, allow him to retain them whilst dropping in from Santa Barbara once in a while), the Sussex's royal patronages, and their Commonwealth positions, in all of which they represent the Crown. How can they represent the Crown from Santa Barbara?

This may seem unrelated to the legal decision just taken, but it will give us some idea of where the Sussexes stand and just how much power the BRF are allowing them, and whether, after hoping a delay will blunt the appearance of caving in, the Queen is, in fact, allowing the Sussexes to have their cake and eat it, too, and cherry pick how much work they want to do, whilst other core members of the family do the heavy lifting.

by Anonymousreply 166February 13, 2021 1:37 PM

Of course it is only a guess, but I feel TRF forced them to leave from the very beginning. Her actions were dangerous to William and his family. My feeling is the big backers are celebrities and possibly Russian. M&H rented at least two homes with Russian ties. The elites and possible Russian agents did a bang up job of decimating our media, and I do not feel it is out of the realm of possibility the same ppl are trying to do the same in the UK. They may be using the thin-skinned narcs to accomplish this. With the absurdly expensive lawsuits and PR they employ, some big money is backing these two nit-wits. They do not rate this amount of backing unless it is for some nefarious purpose. Just a thought.

by Anonymousreply 167February 13, 2021 1:51 PM

Airmail, Graydon Carter's latest effort has an story on the Sussexes. I could only copy the title but you get the jist:

Days of Whine and Rosés Harry and Meghan have landed the American Dream. But they just can’t stop complaining about it

I think this sums up what most people besides rabid stans and haters think of the couple. My feeling the trial was their last big effort of major media coverage. Harry throwing a major tantrum over loss of military titles has already been covered. Unless they start producing some quality content for Netflix and/or Spotify they have to do something really dramatic to stay newsworthy. You can already see the declining interest in them on sites such as DL. On to the next celebrity soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 168February 13, 2021 3:02 PM

R168- Lipstick Alley used to have about 20-40 new pages of posts a day. I check the unpopular opinion thread about twice a week. The last time I checked they only had maybe 5 new pages a day. That for me indicated just how over those 2 really are .

by Anonymousreply 169February 13, 2021 3:09 PM

Wouldn't it have been possible for the Sussexes to exit the monarchy without throwing a huge tantrum about it and stomping all the way across the Atlantic, and then North America? I mean, every new royal couple gets huge exposure and are media darlings for a time (Wessexes, Yorks, etc.), but this glamour fades within a year or two - they breed, it's news, but not like there's a new heir apparent; they appear for events, it's news, but gradually off the front page. With each passing year the Sussexes would have grown less and less important and could have quietly done charity work, etc. within the royal structure. But no. Everything has to be a huuuuge huff complete with cries of victimization!! By the Press, the Palace, the Common Man! Let's face it, there was initially a plan for Sussexes to be a larger part of royal machine, with the military, Commonwealth, theatre, women, racial inequity, etc. The "Firm" and the Sussexes were all aligned with this strategy. Then, something changed. (I would LOVE to know what, exactly.) And pretty quickly. Instead of being respectful and considerate of Harry's heritage and the British People, and forming an exit plan, it was like Nope, we are OUT leaving cooler heads to figure out how to manage the mess. I mean, this is what a 12 yr old does. Is it easy to live within the Palace structure? Absolutely not. NOTHING is EASY. But it works, and it shields those within it and there are other benefits besides. And there is a way to make your own place, defined as you like, over time. Immature cunts and narcissists have no ability to play the game when they are triggered at a certain point. So - we take our ball and go home! It's exasperating for all the big people and nothing can assuage the ego bruising these pablum lapping fucktards inflicted on themselves.

by Anonymousreply 170February 13, 2021 8:05 PM

If only they'd stayed. They would still have the worldwide fame and influence, but by working hard and steadily as team players, they'd have earned respect and been widely, genuinely admired by the public. Plus a more glamorous profile than the one they've got now. So one can fairly conclude it was about money and immediate gratification.

by Anonymousreply 171February 13, 2021 8:55 PM

Immediate gratification takes too long.

by Anonymousreply 172February 14, 2021 12:15 AM

I they are both mentally ill and on a bunch of drugs. Oh yes, and both are repulsive. One does not exclude the other. They appear to have the maturity level of 12 year olds. I also believe they never volunteered to leave TRF. they were kicked out. Jmo

by Anonymousreply 173February 14, 2021 3:39 AM

I think, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 174February 14, 2021 3:49 AM

If they had delayed the flounce by even a few months, they would have been much better off. Leaving right before COVID hit made them look like bolters AND torched a lot of their LA plans. If they'd holed up at Frogmore and done encouraging Zoom calls for the last 12 months, their reputations and their finances would be much more stable.

by Anonymousreply 175February 14, 2021 4:07 AM

Well, for those who think MM won this case, the proverbial shit is hitting the fan. It is open season with a vengeance on her shady behavior, lies, moving bump during her "pregnancy", and the DNA of what many are openly stating is the non-existent Archie. Topics previously only wispered about are getting louder. The talk now is the people of the UK are entitled to the truth, a sentiment I agree with. Unless M&H give up all titles and eligibility to royalty and to the throne, including 6th or 7th in line Archie, all three are fair game. The fact that Archie did not receive a title at birth is further evidence in the minds of some people that something shady happened with her suspposed pregnancy and his birth. No one with a working pulse believes this elitist snot would refuse Archie a title of any kind, they think none was offered due to doubts of his parentage or her possible use of a surrogate. There is anger building against TRF as a whole, including QE, for possibly lying and hiding the truth, a one rule for TRF, another for the rest of the UK sentiment. Ppl are resentful and angry over the amount of their dollars spent on the wedding as well as her hideous wardrobe expense. (And hideous wardrobe choices in general. (Ok, I added that part myself) This is gearing up to be one hell of a show. It isn't my country and I have no right or say in any of this except to state that I am on the side of our friends across the pond, and I do not mean TRF if they in anyway allowed such deceit of the UK citizens. Meghan is a monster for putting her innocent child in this line of fire. Harry especially as he knows the pain of ppl questioning who his father was. Winning indeed. Buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy night. *Bette Davis, cackling gleefully from the great beyond*

by Anonymousreply 176February 14, 2021 12:17 PM

What real proof is there that Meghan fake her pregnancy? Sounds like a crackpot theory considering how thick she was months after the birth of Archie. Meghan is thirsty for fame and adoration for doing nothing but marrying well. That should be enough for a lot of people to be turned off by her without conspiracy theories.

by Anonymousreply 177February 14, 2021 2:51 PM

In any Meghan thread, the fake pregnancy loons will alight like a bunch of confused idiot birds. It's expected at this point.

by Anonymousreply 178February 14, 2021 3:26 PM

Oh FFS we managed a reasonably adult thread on a highly publicized lawsuit, please take the ridiculous fake pregnancy shit elsewhere.

And, for the record, the Kate haters are also still spreading the surrogacy shit, too.

Go play on the Looney Tunes sites. This one is for the grownup gossips.

by Anonymousreply 179February 14, 2021 3:57 PM

FFS, the kid didn't get an HRH at birth because he wasn't entitled to one, and as ot happens he is entitled to his father's subsidiary title, Earl Dumbarton but his parents declined to use it. He's the fucking 7th in line and the web aim is to stop cluttering the BRF with useless HRHs, AND the Queen already knew his parents had one foor out the door and weren't going to stay the course.

William's kids got them because they're now the direct line.

Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 180February 14, 2021 4:03 PM

^*the whole aim

by Anonymousreply 181February 14, 2021 4:04 PM

Not my belief, as she looked exactly like a PP mother. It is that damn moon bump and her being so secretive about his birth. In doing that she has opened up these tin foil hatters. That baby looked just like her father last time we saw him. This what I meant by her behavior opening up that poor child to these loony rumours. We saw what happened to Harry regarding Hewitt. I feel pity for Archie. He had enough to deal with without this following the poor little guy.

by Anonymousreply 182February 14, 2021 4:09 PM

What drives me round the bend on these conspiracies is the assumption that whole swaths of the legal and medical and governmental agencies agrees to participate: the hospitals, the registrar's office, the Head of State, Parliament.

Enty on CDAN, who will post anything any whack job sends him, has yet another blind up (doubtless sent in by one of Meghan's psychotic stans) about Kate having used surrogates for her three kids. I mean, really? After she was hospitalised with extreme morning sickness and then stood at the hospital door going home whilst the entire OB/GYN staff colluded in a massive defrauding of the public, the government, the royal line . . . she was also wearing moon bumps and a fake swollen uterus when she left with each kid a day after giving birht?

I mean, really?! REALLY?!

by Anonymousreply 183February 14, 2021 5:00 PM

Back to the topic of this thread . . .

More not terribly positive PR is arising over Mr Justice Warby's somewhat suspiciously swift judgement without benefit of trial, given his indications last October.

The TIMES today has a rather scathing Op Ed up about the obvious privilege the ruling grants to wealthy, influential celebrities, which, as Camilla Long points out, isn't available to the plebs. This is precisely what Mark Stephens of Howard Kennedy pointed out, and that other pieces began pointing to, including The GUARDIAN.

The TIMES also has a piece up about how shocked the Palace Four were at the judgement, as they were fully expecting to be called to testify. They read the judge's prior rulings exactly as so many others did.

Somewhat predictably, far from a complete vindication, this ruling contains the seeds of doubt about fairness and partiality, and of the Palace's thumbs on the scales of justice, that will not to Meghan the favours she thought it would in terms of public image. I doubt she cares, but this decision, which surprised many in the informed legal community, casts another could over her persona, called, Entitled Twat Gets Cover From People She Hates And Who Hate Her But Who Had An Interest In It Going Away.

One begins to wonder if there's more to this story than meets the eye, after all, and if the "shock" expressed by the Palace Four was deliberately channeled to the TIMES to make it clear that this ruling may cover Meghan's and her friends' arses legally, but ethically . . . there is more to come.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184February 14, 2021 5:33 PM

R183- That site is a joke. I can not believe anyone takes it seriously but then again, I am still stunned at QLoons. However, children should be off limits. That angers most decent ppl. My theory is that she was being petulant about Archie not getting the same titles as W&K's children, as absurd as that is.

by Anonymousreply 185February 14, 2021 5:35 PM

Here's the other TIMES article about the surprise of the Palace Four.

Notice the wording of the title: ". . . denied their day in court . . ."

I call that "shade". And from the TIMES, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186February 14, 2021 5:37 PM

R185 - I agree, and Meghan more or less stated that - that without an HRH she saw no reason to "serve my child up on a silver platter". I think her petulance was absurd and spoke volumes about her ego and hypocrisy ("linked not ranked, you have no idea how much that means to me on so many levels!") and obliviousness to the position Harry and Harry's children occupied as opposed to William's and Kate's. She really thought that the seventh in line was entitled to what the third in line was.

Meghan is, shall we say, disingenuous about everything. Archie has a title. He doesn't have the style of HRH. The fact that she clearly wanted that HRH for him badly but pretends to have despised the whole system tells you everything you need to know about her.

By the time Archie was born, it was an open secret inside the BRF that they were planning to leave, and that's partly the reason they declined to allow Archie to use the title he WAS entitled to, Earl Dumbarton. Earl Dumbarton wouldn't go down well in primary school in California, would it?

They've been dishonest about everything from the start. Meghan isn't good with "system" that isn't completely under her control.

But as it is said, The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

We shall see.

by Anonymousreply 187February 14, 2021 5:45 PM

Yes, very surprised at the reaction from so many news outlets. Agree this is far from over. A post on another site is of the opinion that Meghan may have to pay ANL's court costs. If correct, that most certainly is not a win. As everyone stated when she started this , even if she wins, she loses. It totally appears to be a one rule for them, another for the masses. As you stated, this is far from over, that is my opinion as well.

by Anonymousreply 188February 14, 2021 5:46 PM

R183 - Now that Meghan has announced her pregnancy there will be more of those insane conspiracy theories!

by Anonymousreply 189February 14, 2021 6:54 PM

Has she? Glad Archie will have a sibling, sorry for both children.

by Anonymousreply 190February 14, 2021 8:06 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191February 14, 2021 8:08 PM

Here we go--every photo of her for the next several months will feature the belly clutch.

by Anonymousreply 192February 14, 2021 9:19 PM

And someone upthread was moaning about how it never gets juicy.

H&M are permanently out of the BRF. They've clearly already been told it's over with the royal patronages, military shit, and Commonwealth position. And Meghan is airing a "tell-all" interview with Oprah on 7 March. Something she wouldn't be doing if she didn't know it was all over with the BRF.

The Queen will leave them their titles, the issue is too troublesome to make it worth the headache although at some point I still believe Harry will give up the now pointless UK ghost and apply for IS citizenship and the title will die a natural death.

True to form, the 90-minute I interview will have .Meghan on Aline first, speaking her truth, moaning about what a victim she is, and bleating about feminism and, of course, skewering the people who got her onto Oprah while talking about kindness. Harry, as usual, will walk on later like the appendage he is, and we'll be treated to excessive PDAs and belly-rubbing.

There are already more threads up on this pair of hypocritical hyenas than one can count, so nothing to do but fasten the seatbelts.

It's going to be a bumpy March.

by Anonymousreply 193February 16, 2021 10:54 AM

^*US citizenship

Meghan on alone (not Aline)

by Anonymousreply 194February 16, 2021 10:56 AM

As the upthread never-juicy moaner, I concede it took a VERY juicy turn! However, I meant it never gets juicy when left up to traditional means and institutions. Meghan is the one who personally keeps it juicy. You have to admire her flair for the dramatic twist. She is a disruptor, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 195February 16, 2021 12:12 PM

She is a heartless count.

by Anonymousreply 196February 16, 2021 12:21 PM

Cuny. Ugly cunt.

by Anonymousreply 197February 16, 2021 12:22 PM

I don't understand what huge revelations this interview could contain. They already spilled everything in Finding Freedom. It's just going to be more variations on the victim theme.

Oh well, Meghan should enjoy this year as much as she can--once she's done her version of the Panorama interview and sold the pictures of baby Di to the highest bidder, that's about it as far as big Sussex stories go until she's ready to file for divorce. Maybe that's her plan for 2022.

by Anonymousreply 198February 16, 2021 12:45 PM

It'll be all pure emotion. That's what people are into these days.

by Anonymousreply 199February 16, 2021 12:51 PM

Whinging, bragging, preaching. Rinse and repeat.

by Anonymousreply 200February 16, 2021 2:18 PM

Lol if Haz becomes a US citizen he has to renounce his titles. They would then become Mr Henry Mountbatten-Windsor and HRH the Duchess of Sussex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201February 16, 2021 8:53 PM

He can have dual US UK I believe.

by Anonymousreply 202February 17, 2021 2:17 AM

He can have dual but if he wants US he has to renounce his titles for naturalization purposes. She gets to keep hers, even when running for the US Senate.

by Anonymousreply 203February 17, 2021 2:32 AM

Nah, if Harry becomes a US citizen the Palace will yank Meghan's title quicker than you can say "God Save the Queen."

by Anonymousreply 204February 17, 2021 3:44 AM

Removing a peerage might be difficult, more difficult than removing prince/princess and HRH status. Parliament may have to be involved.

by Anonymousreply 205February 17, 2021 3:48 AM

Meghan, as an American citizen, only has a title because her husband does. Besides, it would be absurd for Harry to be Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor and for his wife to try to go by the Duchess of Sussex.

I don't think Harry will take American citizenship, though. He'll get the green card and call it a day. Even he can't be stupid enough to completely blow up any possibility of being a British citizen living in Britain again. Even the Duke of Windsor never gave up his citizenship--or his title. That would be well and truly burning the already frayed and swaying rope bridge that might take Harry back home one day.

by Anonymousreply 206February 17, 2021 4:01 AM

Bump. Any news on the appeal?

by Anonymousreply 207March 20, 2021 3:32 PM

She won today. Here is some interesting background.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208May 5, 2021 6:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209May 5, 2021 6:33 PM

I've not really been following this case closely - is ANL's appeal off now? Or is that a separate issue?

by Anonymousreply 210May 5, 2021 6:36 PM

From the atricle

Knauf’s lawyers told the court: “Mr Knauf did not draft, and has never claimed to have drafted, any parts of the electronic draft or the letter and would never have asserted copyright over any of their content. In our client’s view, it was the duchess’s letter alone.”

Representing Markle, Ian Mill, QC, told the court: “This unequivocal statement of Mr Knauf’s position also gives the lie to the defendant’s inferential case, in its defence to both the privacy and copyright claims, that the claimant considered using the letter ‘as part of a media strategy.’”

Acting upon this, Lord Justice Warby granted summary judgement, meaning a final judgement in Markle’s favor that avoids a trial.

by Anonymousreply 211May 5, 2021 6:44 PM

Summary judgment was granted on that last issue in question, the appeal is still pending on other issues, I understand, but the appeal has never had a strong chance.

by Anonymousreply 212May 5, 2021 6:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!