Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

July Fourth Party Planning

Hi Guys. As you know, my post-Covid dinner party was a huge success and now I am beginning to plan my annual Independence Day party. Nothing to share just yet, but just want to whet your appetite.

by Anonymousreply 221August 5, 2021 12:55 PM

After all the buildup, your post about the party itself in the other thread was a real letdown. Everyone ate everything and had a good time? That's it? I fear you're as boring a host as your critics were contending.

by Anonymousreply 1June 15, 2021 1:46 PM

[quote] After all the buildup, your post about the party itself in the other thread was a real letdown. Everyone ate everything and had a good time? That's it? I fear you're as boring a host as your critics were contending.

What would you like me to say? It's quite a leap to say that I'm a boring host because I didn't offer an Internet forum a minute-by-minute accounting of a party I had. What would you like to know?

by Anonymousreply 2June 15, 2021 1:52 PM

I'm not your writing coach, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 3June 15, 2021 1:53 PM

Greg, will you be serving haricots rouges, blanches, et bleux?

by Anonymousreply 4June 15, 2021 1:54 PM

Pictures would make all the difference, Greg. You know...presentation is [italic]everything[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 5June 15, 2021 1:56 PM

Red,White and Blue Owsley with a couple of glasses of vintage champagne to start the festivities! I'll wash the dishes.

by Anonymousreply 6June 15, 2021 1:58 PM

Dear Greg.. no one gives a fuck. You, like your parties, are a huge bore.

by Anonymousreply 7June 15, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote] Greg, will you be serving haricots rouges, blanches, et bleux?

No, but I appreciate the question!

by Anonymousreply 8June 15, 2021 1:59 PM

[quote] Dear Greg.. no one gives a fuck. You, like your parties, are a huge bore.

Oh my! Someone woke up fat and underachieving. The truth is, lots of people give a fuck. And my parties are the exact opposite of boorish.

Have a good day!

by Anonymousreply 9June 15, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote] with a couple of glasses of vintage champagne to start the festivities!

On Independence Day I try to have an all American menu.

by Anonymousreply 10June 15, 2021 2:03 PM

Oh Honey, I wish you'd find some friends.

by Anonymousreply 11June 15, 2021 2:04 PM

I have more than I can keep up with. But it makes for a fun Christmas party!

by Anonymousreply 12June 15, 2021 2:08 PM

Greg/R9, "bore" and "boorish" are not synonymous. Of course your parties are not boorish, since your food has French names, but they may very well be boring, especially if the host drones on and on about the menu.

by Anonymousreply 13June 15, 2021 2:09 PM

It's Fourth of July. You better have beer and BBQ. Nothing more, nothing less.

Save duck a l'orange for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 14June 15, 2021 2:09 PM

Keep stomping your foot, dear.

by Anonymousreply 15June 15, 2021 2:11 PM

[quote] Nothing to share just yet, but just want to whet your appetite

Based on the responses you get here, what makes you think that would even be possible? The consensus here seems to be rather indifferent.

by Anonymousreply 16June 15, 2021 2:14 PM

[quote] "bore" and "boorish" are not synonymous. Of course your parties are not boorish, since your food has French names, but they may very well be boring, especially if the host drones on and on about the menu.

"Bore" and "boorish" are synonymous. "Boorish" means behaving as a "boor;" rough in manners; rude; and uncultured.

I've never experienced so many people fixating on the use of French. Some of you need to get out more.

by Anonymousreply 17June 15, 2021 2:17 PM

[quote] It's Fourth of July. You better have beer and BBQ. Nothing more, nothing less. Save duck a l'orange for Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Wow, what good advice! And coming from Texas no less. Thank you so much for saving me the work of planning a menu. So let me get this straight, duck for Thanksgiving or Christmas and BBQ for the Fourth of July. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 18June 15, 2021 2:19 PM

R18 just sayin' no need to be rude about it.

by Anonymousreply 19June 15, 2021 2:21 PM

[quote] Based on the responses you get here, what makes you think that would even be possible? The consensus here seems to be rather indifferent.

Well, I don't think that 468 replies from my last post indicates indifference. But you must know.

by Anonymousreply 20June 15, 2021 2:22 PM

I think OP likes to lick ass of bottom male prostitutes

by Anonymousreply 21June 15, 2021 2:23 PM

[quote] I think OP likes to lick ass of bottom male prostitutes

I prefer tops.

by Anonymousreply 22June 15, 2021 2:26 PM

[quote] I prefer tops.

I don't think there was ever any doubt about that.

by Anonymousreply 23June 15, 2021 2:31 PM

No r20, I don't know. Share the link so those of us who missed out can enjoy that wonderful thread.

by Anonymousreply 24June 15, 2021 2:33 PM

[quote] Share the link so those of us who missed out can enjoy that wonderful thread.

You can find it yourself. It's not hard. Promise.

by Anonymousreply 25June 15, 2021 2:36 PM

R22 still you lick well-used ass

by Anonymousreply 26June 15, 2021 2:38 PM

skewered, eh r25?

by Anonymousreply 27June 15, 2021 2:42 PM

[quote] skewered, eh [R25]?

Not sure what you mean.

by Anonymousreply 28June 15, 2021 2:43 PM

Post Vaccine Dinner Party

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29June 15, 2021 2:43 PM

[quote] still you lick well-used ass

Oh, okay. What a class act you must be.

by Anonymousreply 30June 15, 2021 2:44 PM

Oh Greg, shut up and get back in the kitchen.

I'd add barefoot and pregnant, but honestly, who in the world would fuck you?

by Anonymousreply 31June 15, 2021 2:45 PM

[quote] skewered, eh [[R25]]?

Does anyone know what this means?

by Anonymousreply 32June 15, 2021 2:46 PM

Maybe you can do a tea party complete with macaron, hors d'oeuvres, and ceremonial matcha. Kinda cheeky, don't you think?

by Anonymousreply 33June 15, 2021 2:49 PM

You simply MUST make Ina's flag cake! Your imaginary guests will be tickled red, white AND blue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34June 15, 2021 2:49 PM

[quote] Your imaginary guests

So interesting that many people here have to convince themselves that no one could possibly have great parties with friends. Anyway, I'm not opposed to Ina's cake and I've made it in the past. But not this year. My imaginary guests will be getting something else for dessert. I'm thinking blueberry pies and homemade ice cream.

by Anonymousreply 35June 15, 2021 2:53 PM

R30 Oh, okay. What a class act you must be.

Those pretentious "classy" guys always end up getting oral gonorrhea from licking your boys rented-out ass.

by Anonymousreply 36June 15, 2021 3:02 PM

Blueberry pie w/homemade ice cream >>>>> flag cake. Even Ina's flag cake.

by Anonymousreply 37June 15, 2021 3:50 PM

[quote] "Bore" and "boorish" are synonymous. "Boorish" means behaving as a "boor;" rough in manners; rude; and uncultured.

Yes, R17, that is what "boorish" means -- which is why it's not synonymous with "bore" and "boring". A bore* (a dull, tiresome person) is someone who bores* (to weary by dullness, tedious repetition) and is therefore boring* -- a boor may be obnoxious but is unlikely to be boring, if only because he's so uncouth as to be intriguing.

* not to be confused with the homophone that refers to piercing or drilling (e.g., boring a hole) and the results thereof (e.g., diameter of a hole)

by Anonymousreply 38June 15, 2021 4:13 PM

I'm all atingle with anticipation of the formal announcement of details.

by Anonymousreply 39June 15, 2021 4:51 PM

I have a feeling that dessert will consist of ... fruit.

by Anonymousreply 40June 15, 2021 5:02 PM

So here are my first thoughts for the Fourth:

Grilled Latin-spice rubbed flank steak -or- tenderloin served with two sauces: a lime-chipotle aioli and a Béarnaise mayonnaise

Grilled chicken thighs—tossed (post grilling) in lemon juice and fresh herbs

Blueberry Pies, Peach Cobblers, and homemade vanilla ice cream

I obviously have to round this out with other things, but these are my preliminary thoughts.

by Anonymousreply 41June 15, 2021 5:42 PM

You said you were going to have an all-american menu and now you're throwing latin and mexican spices at us. It's not cinco de mayo GREG!

by Anonymousreply 42June 15, 2021 6:23 PM

[quote] a lime-chipotle aioli and a Béarnaise mayonnaise

I doubt Greg will take this advice, but why serve two mayonnaise sauces. (Aioli is basically a mayonnaise.) I'm sure Greg can explain how these two sauces are different and will remain steadfast to his summer menu involving two mayonnaise sauces.

by Anonymousreply 43June 15, 2021 6:28 PM

[quote] I doubt Greg will take this advice, but why serve two mayonnaise sauces. (Aioli is basically a mayonnaise.) I'm sure Greg can explain how these two sauces are different and will remain steadfast to his summer menu involving two mayonnaise sauces.

Yes, you are correct. I just like them both. But I may change one to a chimichurri sauce. This menu is still in its earliest stages.

And I was waiting for someone to point out what R42 observed. And he's right. I have to give some consideration to my earlier plan to have only American food and drink.

by Anonymousreply 44June 15, 2021 6:34 PM

Béarnaise sauce for the 4th of July! Quelle horreur!

by Anonymousreply 45June 15, 2021 7:33 PM

Don't get yourself in a twist. It's a chilled mayonnaise not the traditional hot Béarnaise sauce.

by Anonymousreply 46June 15, 2021 7:41 PM

Oh, Greg. I had a little get together and was asking the Dl if coconut cream pie was outmoded, and I got all sorts of "imaginary friends" comments. People come here because they're bored and don't have many friends, so why should you have any? You wouldn't be here if you had friends, is the idea around here. Plus it's fun to be bitchy to people who can't hold it against you irl. I think you would feel more welcome on a cooking forum where spatula fraus abound.

by Anonymousreply 47June 15, 2021 7:46 PM

[quote] You wouldn't be here if you had friends

yeah, you can stop right there.

by Anonymousreply 48June 15, 2021 8:00 PM

Hello, R47. Yes, I saw your post about coconut cream pie. I can't say if it's outmoded, but I think it's a great idea in the right setting (summer party/cookout/beach dinner/etc). Someone said, and I think it's true, that people have very strong opinions about coconut, so as much as I hate to say this, if I were serving it, I'd probably have another dessert in addition to it. I have a dear friend who detests coconut, so at an outdoor summer gathering, I'd probably also serve something different but compatible—like a passionfruit mousse or lemon mousse with blackberries.

Having said that, if anyone wants a dead simple recipe for passionfruit mousse, let me know.

by Anonymousreply 49June 15, 2021 8:01 PM

R44 and R42, America is a melting pot -- supposed to be, anyhow -- where all cultures and cuisines are welcome. There are few "American" foods that didn't originate somewhere else and many people might not enjoy them very much anyhow (pemmican?). There's enough jingoism in the air lately without using it to celebrate American Independence Day.

by Anonymousreply 50June 15, 2021 9:09 PM

Thank you for pointing that out, R50. So-called American food should probably be inclusive of food from other cultures. I remember that during the Kennedy administration, Mrs. Kennedy was committed to bringing culture and class to a dowdy White House. In addition to opening the White House to some of the day's best artists and musicians, she hired French chef René Verdon to run run the White House kitchen. He was the very first "Executive Chef" in the White House. Dishes served during this period included poached salmon, rack of lamb, and yes—haricots vert aux amandes (young green beans with almonds for those of you who still take umbrage at the use of French to describe food). The First Lady wanted to show the sophistication of the US to the rest of the world and at that time, French cuisine was considered the best there was.

Jacqueline Kennedy had first visited the White House as a tourist with her mother and sister in 1941. She was dismayed to see so few historical furnishings on display and frustrated by the lack of a booklet to inform visitors about the history of the great house. Twenty years later, as first lady, she sought to change things and make the White House "the most perfect house in the United States."

Before her husband's inauguration, Mrs. Kennedy visited the White House as the guest of First Lady Mamie Eisenhower. Disappointed with its appearance, Mrs. Kennedy referred to the White House as "that dreary Maison Blanche" (for those of you offended by French, that means "White House") Calling it an "18th-century house," she believed that it should be furnished with antiques in the style of past presidents. It was, she thought, a museum that should reflect the artistic history of the United States.

"All these people come to see the White House and they see practically nothing that dates back before 1948," Mrs. Kennedy said in a September 1, 1961 interview with Hugh Sidey of Life magazine. "Everything in the White House must have a reason for being there. It would be sacrilege merely to "redecorate" it—a word I hate. It must be restored—and that has nothing to do with decoration. That is a question of scholarship."

In retrospect it's easy to criticize Mrs. Kennedy's preference for all things French in the White House, but she did what at the time was considered best. This, of course, is different from what Mrs. Obama's emphasis on American cuisine and culture.

So, I guess I needn't shy away from a Latin rubbed flank steak or a lime-chipotle aioli and a Béarnaise mayonnaise (or chimichurri sauce).

by Anonymousreply 51June 16, 2021 1:02 PM

j'adore le cordonnier aux pêches!

Hahahahhahahahahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 52June 16, 2021 1:48 PM

Greg - we discussed your proposed menu on a zoom call last night. We'd like you to go back to the drawing board and come back with new options. General consensus is that no one likes flank steak (too chewy and a few also mentioned you are cheap for serving that cut of meat) and there is some concern about food poisoning should your cold bernaise sit out in the hot July sun too long.

Please keep in mind our dietary restrictions as well when you come back with your update. Currently we have: vegan, halal, dairy free, keto and pescatarian.

-the gang

by Anonymousreply 53June 16, 2021 1:51 PM

The Gang - much appreciated. Everyone loves my flank steak. It's cooked rare and thinly sliced. Flank steak has a wonderfully beefy flavor. I sometimes have done beef tenderloin, but truly, flank steak (or skirt steak or beef bavette) has such good flavor. But, I could be tempted to serve beef tenderloin. No need to worry about the chilled béarnaise, it won't be out a day—this is a sit down event. The sauces will be put on the table moments before people are seated. They will only be out for the duration of that course.

I pay no attention to dietary restrictions. I'm not running a restaurant. If people can't find something they can eat, they shouldn't come.

by Anonymousreply 54June 16, 2021 2:03 PM

Guess you'll be sitting this one out Ahmad.

by Anonymousreply 55June 16, 2021 2:32 PM

Oh, and in terms of being out in "the hot July sun" — that won't happen because this is an evening event. People will be invited to arrive at 7:00 p.m. for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. The Boston Pops concert will begin at 8:00. Dinner will be served at 8:45. The fireworks will happen at 10:30, just in time for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 56June 16, 2021 3:05 PM

We're having a small get together for the 4th. Of course there will be hot dogs on the grill as well as some sauerkraut and other standard condiments. One of my friends loves his baked beans with bacon and pineapple, so that will be there.

In lieu of burgers, I'm kind of thinking hoagie steak sandwiches this year instead. They're not cheesesteaks, but rather the frozen hoagie steak patties like you would get at a festival or fair. I don't own an electric deep fryer but I do have a french fry cutter. I'm sure one of my friends do, so we can make fresh fries. I'm thinking festival food in general since I didn't get to go to any this year or last year. Maybe even offer festival style lemon shakes as well.

by Anonymousreply 57June 16, 2021 3:07 PM

R57, that sounds like fun.

Hot Dogs with lots of condiments for people.

Grilled Italian Sausages with great rolls, and sautéed peppers and onions.

Potato Saad and Cole Slaw

Italian Lemon Slush (with a bottle of Absolut Citron or some other lemon-flavored vodka nearby.) Make sure you get those small flexible plastic cups and the straws that have a small spoon-like thing at the end.

Make-your-own-Sundaes with plenty of toppings and very good ice cream.

French fries seem like a lot of work. But, you could do something easier than making homemade FF: Ore-Ida Extra Crispy Fast Food Fries. The trouble is keeping them hot. French fries that aren't piping hot are not worth eating.

If you have access to a deep fryer, perhaps make deep fried Oreos for the festival feel. You can also rent or buy a popcorn machine so people can have popcorn in those little bags during drinks.

Just some thoughts...

by Anonymousreply 58June 16, 2021 3:17 PM

[quote]a Béarnaise mayonnaise

What in tarnation?

by Anonymousreply 59June 16, 2021 3:34 PM

Yes, it's delicious, R59.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60June 16, 2021 3:47 PM

[quote] If you have access to a deep fryer, perhaps make deep fried Oreos for the festival feel.

This doesn't sound good.

by Anonymousreply 61June 16, 2021 3:51 PM

I've never had one, but I know they are popular at fairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62June 16, 2021 3:56 PM

Gregory, consider a duo of dipping sauces for your filet. Our dear friend Ina's basil and parmesan mayo is also delicious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63June 16, 2021 4:27 PM

I'm guessing that Greg's flanken will be prepared on his Viking range rather than on an outdoor grill, and he's not going to be serving the meal outdoors because he doesn't want cicadas floating in his boats of bernaise. So it would be a little bizarre to include traditional American dishes like potato salad, corn on the cob, watermelon and pie. So I'm thinking braised Romaine lettuce with a vinaigrette drizzle, gluten free savory pizzelles, and a currant and quince trifle followed by espresso and poppers.

by Anonymousreply 64June 16, 2021 4:38 PM

Don't forget to fill a watermelon with tequila!

by Anonymousreply 65June 16, 2021 4:54 PM

Stop trying to make yourself happen, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 66June 16, 2021 4:59 PM

What's that smell? Oh, Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 67June 16, 2021 5:41 PM

[quote] I'm guessing that Greg's flanken will be prepared on his Viking range rather than on an outdoor grill, and he's not going to be serving the meal outdoors because he doesn't want cicadas floating in his boats of bernaise. So it would be a little bizarre to include traditional American dishes like potato salad, corn on the cob, watermelon and pie. So I'm thinking braised Romaine lettuce with a vinaigrette drizzle, gluten free savory pizzelles, and a currant and quince trifle followed by espresso and poppers.

My flanked will be grilled on my Weber gas grill.

Dinner will be served on my roof deck, with clear view of the Boston fireworks. Though rather than being done on the Charles River (which is perfect from my vantage point, they are being done from the Boston Common this year, so I hope we'll still be able to see them).

I love how misinformed but opinionated people are here.

Oh, and most won't believe this and some will but will see fit to use it to ridicule me, but I will have a bartender and two waiters at this dinner. I will do all the cooking, but it's a lot to get everything up and then down from the roof and I have friends who used to be waitstaff for me when I did catering.

by Anonymousreply 68June 16, 2021 5:48 PM

You’re going to watch the Boston Pops and time desert to coincide with the fireworks?

My god, Greg, you are a fussy old queen who tries way too hard. Your friends must be as insufferable and boring (not booring) as you.

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2021 6:06 PM

I've been doing this party for years. Here's an earlier menu:

Roasted Vegetable Crostini

Radishes, Butter, and Sea Salt

Nuts and Olives

------------------

Vitello Tonnato New Potato Salad Asparagus with Soft-Cooked Eggs and Shavings of Grana Padano

-----------------

Summer Pudding Honey-Almond Macaroons

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2021 6:07 PM

radishes and butter? like sautéed?

by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2021 6:20 PM

They're "French Breakfast Radishes," r71. The items on Greg's menus are easy to find online, it seems. Even the loin of cod!

by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2021 6:32 PM

[quote] You’re going to watch the Boston Pops and time desert to coincide with the fireworks?

We will not be "watching" the Boston Pops. How could we? I'll have it on my Sonos system from the radio station. Dessert will naturally coincide with the fireworks. I'm curious why you find such an evening insufferable. You wouldn't want to be invited to someone's roof deck in Back Bay where you are catered to and are with good friends, up far and away from the crowds below, eating delicious food and drinking cocktails and wine? Yeah, that sounds like such an insufferable evening. Too funny!

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2021 6:36 PM

The radishes are not cooked, but are served raw.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2021 6:38 PM

I like radishes, and I like butter, this doesn't sound good

by Anonymousreply 75June 16, 2021 6:39 PM

R69, 'Dessert' has two s's. If you need a trick to remember 'desert' from 'dessert' just think, "strawberry shortcake - ss"

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2021 6:39 PM

[quote]nI like radishes, and I like butter, this doesn't sound good

Well, maybe you don't like sea salt.

They are delicious if you have really good butter and really good salt (not to mention really fine radishes).

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2021 6:41 PM

thanks, no thanks. I'm making mexican instead.

by Anonymousreply 78June 16, 2021 6:43 PM

I hardly think it would be an imposition to be on the roof of a Boston brownstone, listening to the Boston Pops and then watching the fireworks while having a delicious and carefully executed dinner with friends. Some of you are really inscrutable.

by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2021 6:47 PM

it would be horror and a nightmare

by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2021 7:00 PM

[quote] it would be horror and a nightmare

Yes, I can imagine it would be for a common prole like you.

by Anonymousreply 81June 16, 2021 7:05 PM

You're still going to get cicadas in your sauce boats.

by Anonymousreply 82June 16, 2021 7:05 PM

Actually, what am I thinking? Just scoop up a few dozen cicadas and cook them up as scampi. Perfect for starters. Or you could go old school and make chilled cicada cocktails with chili sauce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83June 16, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote] You're still going to get cicadas in your sauce boats.

I really doubt that. I don't use sauce boats.

by Anonymousreply 84June 16, 2021 7:09 PM

Just be sure there are cloth napkins and real china and flatware.

by Anonymousreply 85June 16, 2021 7:11 PM

You guys think I'm making this stuff up, but I'm not. I will have three round tables (rented) with 8 people seated at each table.

There will be white tablecloths, white damask napkins (24" x 24"), white bistro plates, and silver flatware. Candles in hurricanes on the tables and peonies in small vases so as to not interrupt the view looking across the table.

I also assign seats and separate couples. This makes for a much more interesting time.

by Anonymousreply 86June 16, 2021 7:15 PM

Being able to pull this off on the roof of a building makes it such a fun and special evening.

Among the guests will be both family members and friends.

by Anonymousreply 87June 16, 2021 7:17 PM

I certainly hope the waiters and bartender will be male and dressed for a hot summer evening.

by Anonymousreply 88June 16, 2021 7:29 PM

[quote]You guys think I'm making this stuff up, but I'm not.

nope, just a garden variety troll

by Anonymousreply 89June 16, 2021 7:30 PM

[quote] Being able to pull this off on the roof of a building makes it such a fun and special evening.

The roof? [sniff]. Too bad your home lacks a suitable terrace.

by Anonymousreply 90June 16, 2021 7:31 PM

[quote] I certainly hope the waiters and bartender will be male and dressed for a hot summer evening.

I'm glad you mentioned that. I learned from two good friends of mine that you always want very sexy bartenders and waiters. Mine are hot Brazilian guys who have been asked to wear tight black pants and tight white t-shirts.

When my friends have their annual Christmas party, they hire male bartenders and servers and when asked if they should be in black pants, white shirts, and black neckties, my friend says, "No, no, no. We want you in very tight pants and a super tight sweater. People love their party in large part because of the sexy and hot staff.

by Anonymousreply 91June 16, 2021 7:36 PM

[quote] The roof? [sniff]. Too bad your home lacks a suitable terrace.

I do have a terrace but it's not possible to see fireworks from the terrace. Nor is my terrace large enough to accommodate 25 guests, three tables, 25 chairs, and a bar. The roof is ideal and the views of the Boston skyline are glorious.

by Anonymousreply 92June 16, 2021 7:40 PM

When I was younger 4th of July meant blowing shit up. Now of course other people are lighting off all manner of fireworks. It's sort of annoying.

by Anonymousreply 93June 16, 2021 7:56 PM

I said a “suitable” terrace.

by Anonymousreply 94June 16, 2021 8:06 PM

What is the attire Greg? I need to plan my outfit.

by Anonymousreply 95June 16, 2021 10:20 PM

Yes, R95 -- you don't want to dress like the New Year's Baby by mistake, only to find everyone else in stars & stripes stovepipe hats with Uncle Sam beards!

by Anonymousreply 96June 16, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote] What is the attire Greg? I need to plan my outfit.

I don't involve myself in the attire of my guests—except for my annual White Party held in January or February.

If it's hot out, I'd say some shorts and a shirt. What will I wear? Probably shorts and a long sleeved white linen button-down shirt with a pair of TOMS or Allen Edmonds penny loafers. Oh, and a grosgrain Vineyard Vines belt.

by Anonymousreply 97June 17, 2021 1:23 PM

a delight for the mind and eye

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98June 17, 2021 1:44 PM

the guests have arrivata!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99June 17, 2021 1:45 PM

R98 — Seriously? No offense meant to those gentlemen, but that is very unfortunate.

Bad colors, fabric looks eh, and the tailoring is bad (note how the collar doesn't lay flat).

by Anonymousreply 100June 17, 2021 1:50 PM

Tip: aim any fireworks directly at yourself. The guests will be entertained and we will be freed.

by Anonymousreply 101June 17, 2021 1:51 PM

R99: If you're going to wear a pink suit, for the love of God don't wear socks and lace-up shoes!

These outfits would look so much better without socks and with loafers.

by Anonymousreply 102June 17, 2021 1:52 PM

Why Greg, you are without a doubt the gay, caucasian Smoove-B!

by Anonymousreply 103June 17, 2021 1:53 PM

greg, you're boy toy is demanding payment, shall i send him out?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104June 17, 2021 1:53 PM

R9 Someone woke up fat and underachieving is going to be my new go to insult. Thank you, Greg.

As for food, Forth of July needs to be BBQ. You can make it classy, as you should, but there are some normals that need to be followed. Thanksgiving needs a Turkey, Christmas needs a Tree, and the Forth of July needs BBQ.

by Anonymousreply 105June 17, 2021 2:04 PM

Thank you, R105.

I don't agree. First of all, I can grill but I am in no position to barbecue. I have a gas grill but am not inclined to do what is required for authentic barbecue. So grilled flank steak or beef tenderloin and grilled chicken thighs may not qualify as barbecue, but I don't see anything wrong with serving these things at a Fourth of July dinner.

by Anonymousreply 106June 17, 2021 2:12 PM

And, as I said in an earlier post, one year I served the classic warm weather Italian dish vitello tonnato. What could be nicer than that on a summer's evening?

Another year I served poached salmon with a dill mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 107June 17, 2021 2:20 PM

[quote] I can grill but I am in no position to barbecue.

I can see which position you prefer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108June 17, 2021 3:01 PM

Does anything tawdry ever happen at these soiree's of yours Greg? Guests caught doing coke in the bathroom? A friend banging one of the cater waiters in the guest bedroom, destroying the Frette linens? Maybe a pair of your treasured Tiffany cufflinks mysteriously went missing?

by Anonymousreply 109June 17, 2021 4:30 PM

Funny you should ask, R109. I once hosted a political fundraiser and the Maverick Men were guests. I have reason to believe that they stole something (not my Tiffany cufflinks). I have a good friend who has parties that wind up with certain guests doing coke at the end of the night, but at my parties aside from some people smoking weed, nothing else is done.

by Anonymousreply 110June 17, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote]. . . note how the collar doesn't lay flat

Time to review the usage of lay vs lie, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 111June 17, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote] Time to review the usage of lay vs lie, Greg.

Yes, you are quite right.

by Anonymousreply 112June 17, 2021 6:23 PM

I think your grill meats count as BBQ. I would just have some sort of “artisanal” BBQ sauce to go with it on the side, if your guest so desire.

by Anonymousreply 113June 18, 2021 12:04 AM

[quote] I think your grill meats count as BBQ. I would just have some sort of “artisanal” BBQ sauce to go with it on the side, if your guest so desire.

Thank you for the suggestion. But, I am planning to serve a delicious lime-chipotle aioli alongside the beef and maybe a chimichurri sauce. And the chicken will be tossed in lemon juice and fresh herbs. I like my own homemade BBQ sauce (store bought ones are usually too sweet for me) and I use it with ribs, etc. But for this menu, I think it would be out of place.

by Anonymousreply 114June 18, 2021 12:58 AM

my pussy is quite wet, so any sauce for the guests, as per a menu item, will be quite necessary. I'm in NO position to do otherwise

by Anonymousreply 115June 18, 2021 1:42 AM

R42, must you yell? Greg knows it isn't Cinco de Mayo (please capitalize).

I wish I had somewhere to go on July 4th. I've been sidelined for a solid week, bedrest for sinusitis, and would love something to look forward to. I haven't been able to work, do housework, or walk--my mainstays. Now I'm guilty of hijacking the thread--should start my own: The Menu for My Fabulous Pity Party.

by Anonymousreply 116June 18, 2021 1:54 AM

I wish i had someone to slap on the Holiday

by Anonymousreply 117June 18, 2021 2:01 AM

[quote] I wish i had someone to slap on the Holiday

Obviously, not really me.

by Anonymousreply 118June 18, 2021 4:47 PM

It's a beautiful day here in the Boston area.

by Anonymousreply 119June 18, 2021 6:16 PM

Perhaps take a stroll down Newbury and pick up some fresh flowers at Winston, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 120June 18, 2021 6:49 PM

Too expensive!

by Anonymousreply 121June 18, 2021 6:53 PM

Bend over and pull your pants down then stick 2 lit sparklers up your ass. Guests will love it.

by Anonymousreply 122June 18, 2021 6:54 PM

[quote] Bend over and pull your pants down then stick 2 lit sparklers up your ass. Guests will love it.

I love when the overweight underachievers wake up!.

by Anonymousreply 123June 18, 2021 7:01 PM

Greg just described herself.

by Anonymousreply 124June 18, 2021 7:10 PM

[quote] Greg just described herself.

Not really. I'm not overweight (164 pounds with a 32" waist) and I'm definitely not an underachiever.

And you?

by Anonymousreply 125June 18, 2021 7:17 PM

I hope that the Brazilian bartenders lace your drinks with acid.

by Anonymousreply 126June 18, 2021 7:30 PM

[quote] I hope that the Brazilian bartenders lace your drinks with acid.

Thank you! Why so cranky?

by Anonymousreply 127June 18, 2021 7:37 PM

Do you do a signature cocktail for your parties Greg? Here is a great list! I might whip up that dark and stormy slushy this evening since it's hot as balls out here in CA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128June 18, 2021 7:46 PM

[quote] Do you do a signature cocktail for your parties Greg?

I normally do not. Though a few years ago I had the ingredients for Aperol Spritzes because I like them, they're light, and I love the refreshing orange color. I also one time had a pre-made pitcher of margaritas.

In any case, even if I have a pitcher of margaritas or the ingredients for Aperol Spritz, I always have white and rosé wine available as well as gin, vodka, rum, tequila, rye, and scotch available with mixers and dry and sweet vermouth.

Thank you for sharing that link!

by Anonymousreply 129June 18, 2021 8:46 PM

Sometimes I like to have a tray passed signature cocktail upon guest arrival... just so they have something nice in their hand right when they walk in the door. Afterwards, they can collect the drink of their choice from the bar.

by Anonymousreply 130June 18, 2021 8:56 PM

[quote] Sometimes I like to have a tray passed signature cocktail upon guest arrival... just so they have something nice in their hand right when they walk in the door. Afterwards, they can collect the drink of their choice from the bar.

Yes, that's a lovely idea. Sometimes that happens at charitable galas...you are greeted by a waiter with a signature cocktail and then can go to the bar and get whatever you like afterwards. I like that very much and it shows a nice level of caring.

by Anonymousreply 131June 18, 2021 9:05 PM

How many people have RSVPed so far, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 132June 18, 2021 9:23 PM

Greg is a perfect host, always thinking of others:

"I pay no attention to dietary restrictions. I'm not running a restaurant. If people can't find something they can eat, they shouldn't come." (R54);

"You can find [the link] yourself. It's not hard. Promise." (R25).

by Anonymousreply 133June 18, 2021 11:11 PM

R153, you have to admit some of the beeotches on this thread have been tiresome, and Greg is not Jesus--that we know of, although Jesus was generally kind and sometimes annoyed.

by Anonymousreply 134June 18, 2021 11:16 PM

I’ll be home comforting my two little dogs. The 4th is torture for my sweet Boston.

by Anonymousreply 135June 18, 2021 11:19 PM

R134, somehow I can't picture Jesus saying "Listen, beeotch, if you don't like loaves OR fishes OR wine instead of water, then just don't come!!"

by Anonymousreply 136June 18, 2021 11:21 PM

R133 Goes to dinner parties and asks for two chicken breast even though they are having spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 137June 18, 2021 11:34 PM

[quote] How many people have RSVPed so far, Greg.

Everyone has. I do this every year, so people expect it.

by Anonymousreply 138June 18, 2021 11:36 PM

R138 Then what is the head count.

by Anonymousreply 139June 18, 2021 11:40 PM

4th of July get togethers make me think of potato salad, corn on the cob, bbq chicken or hamburgers, watermelon, blueberry pie and vanilla ice-cream. Now I am hungry.

by Anonymousreply 140June 19, 2021 12:09 AM

I was thinking of a variety of mini sliders (bison, pulled pork, maybe some kind of veggie or seafood patties), grilled elotes seasoned with lime and salt, a decent potato salad with dill, another fresh kind of salad (maybe a greek style veggie/feta salad), and grilled asparagus tossed in EVOO. Or you could also, instead of doing sliders, do a nice smoked rack of ribs with your homemade bbq sauce (but would have to come up w/something for veggies). Dessert should include fresh, local, sun-ripened strawberries in some form or another (strawberry shortcake w/home-whipped cream sweetened with honey, something along those lines) and maybe some homemade sorbet with fresh blueberries.

Although I do love a grilled italian sausage with peppers and onions on a soft and sweet roll, so that's a good option too. Easy enough to find tasty veggie/vegan sausages as well.

by Anonymousreply 141June 19, 2021 1:07 AM

Or (another gasp!) throw caution to the wind and provide the meats/main and a major side and let the guests bring things a la good old fashioned potluck!

by Anonymousreply 142June 19, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote] Greg is a perfect host, always thinking of others: "I pay no attention to dietary restrictions. I'm not running a restaurant. If people can't find something they can eat, they shouldn't come." ([R54]); "You can find [the link] yourself. It's not hard. Promise." ([R25]).

Seriously? Some of the people out here must never entertain. It's really interesting to me. My response about not paying attention to dietary restrictions was sarcasm. I am not entertaining people I hardly know. Most of the people I am having over have been friends for over twenty years. Don't you think I know if my friends have dietary restrictions? We go out to dinner together often or eat in each other's homes. Some of these friends I've gone to Italy with (some even twice). I've rented summer homes with some of them. Which is only to say, I do try to be the "perfect host" and I do "think of others."

Dumb people out here have said things like, "What if one of your guests doesn't like fish? I think you're setting yourself up here for a problem." What a stupid thing to say.

And my saying to someone that he could "find the link yourself" was well-deserved. It was some jerk who doubted that there was such a link and that there were actually 484 responses.

There are lots of pathetic people out here. Glad the good ones probably outnumber them.

by Anonymousreply 143June 19, 2021 1:46 AM

Perhaps take a troll down Exeter and pick up some fresh flowers at Moodey’s, Greggie

by Anonymousreply 144June 19, 2021 2:01 AM

[quote] There are lots of pathetic people out here. Glad the good ones probably outnumber them

Go take a stroll around Pi alley and bend the fuck over and take it, queen bee

by Anonymousreply 145June 19, 2021 2:02 AM

Greg is the Barbara Thorndyke ruining your dinner with pretension.

[quote] Can you believe she asked for the salt in latin?

by Anonymousreply 146June 19, 2021 2:18 AM

[quote]throw caution to the wind and

. . . and light your farts on fire!

by Anonymousreply 147June 19, 2021 11:43 AM

[quote] Perhaps take a troll down Exeter and pick up some fresh flowers at Moodey’s, Greggie

Sorry—never heard of it. It can't be any good.

by Anonymousreply 148June 19, 2021 12:58 PM

sorry about that, but I think you have heard of trolls before. . . .

by Anonymousreply 149June 19, 2021 12:59 PM

I'll have a turkey sandwich on catcher in the rye bread with a side order of George Bernard slaw.

by Anonymousreply 150June 19, 2021 1:11 PM

You’re more of a Tennessee Williams on toast I think

by Anonymousreply 151June 19, 2021 1:35 PM

Greg, please look at R141, this is the best menu so fat. Stylish but still 4th of July like.

by Anonymousreply 152June 19, 2021 2:40 PM

[quote]I know, most of what i posted is too low brow for your event

Especially, r141, the use of "veggies" not once, not twice, but four times, setting what must be a new DL record for word abuse in a single post.

by Anonymousreply 153June 19, 2021 2:55 PM

Greg invited me over but he never served enough veggies! Fuck that queen!

by Anonymousreply 154June 19, 2021 3:56 PM

Indeed, R153. What do people have against the real word? Try it -- vegetables -- there, that wasn't so hard, was it? And it doesn't turn my stomach like the v---ies word does, so I have an appetite left for eating (even vegetables)!

by Anonymousreply 155June 19, 2021 5:10 PM

Greg is clearly a raging carnivore who gives little thought to the noble vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 156June 19, 2021 5:16 PM

Greg force fed me foie gras and rilletes and rolletjes when he told me there would be vegetarian fare. I’ll never forgive him

by Anonymousreply 157June 19, 2021 5:59 PM

You people are really something.

by Anonymousreply 158June 19, 2021 10:45 PM

I was once royally fucked on Greg’s terrace. And believe me, it wasn’t by some vegetable or cucumber!

by Anonymousreply 159June 19, 2021 10:55 PM

R140, how much do you weigh?

by Anonymousreply 160June 19, 2021 11:01 PM

[quote] I was once royally fucked on Greg’s terrace. And believe me, it wasn’t by some vegetable or cucumber!

I heard you were a great (if not nelly) bottom. Next time I hope to be able to be there.

by Anonymousreply 161June 20, 2021 12:06 AM

I wasn’t too nelly to get the meat!

by Anonymousreply 162June 20, 2021 1:16 AM

Was it by a royal, R159? Was it Prince Philip?

by Anonymousreply 163June 20, 2021 3:30 AM

It was sexceptional

by Anonymousreply 164June 20, 2021 1:26 PM

Good morning, everyone! How was your weekend?

by Anonymousreply 165June 22, 2021 12:57 PM

I had a lovely Father's Day celebration. Tell us about yours.

by Anonymousreply 166June 22, 2021 12:57 PM

Are you a father Greg?

by Anonymousreply 167June 22, 2021 1:21 PM

No, I am not.

by Anonymousreply 168June 22, 2021 1:24 PM

Did you father get a blowjob?

by Anonymousreply 169June 22, 2021 2:03 PM

I couldn't say. But I doubt it.

Was your father's present wrapped?

by Anonymousreply 170June 22, 2021 3:18 PM

Clear and present danger

by Anonymousreply 171June 22, 2021 3:34 PM

What did you serve Greg?

by Anonymousreply 172June 22, 2021 5:21 PM

I went to my brother's house and they served a really nice charcuterie board and cups of New England Clam Chowder. We sat outside and it was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 173June 22, 2021 5:24 PM

R173 That doesn’t seem nearly good enough for Greg’s father. You are clearly the favorite.

by Anonymousreply 174June 22, 2021 5:43 PM

[quote] That doesn’t seem nearly good enough for Greg’s father. You are clearly the favorite.

Nice of you to say, but everyone seems to be watching his/her weight. :-)

by Anonymousreply 175June 22, 2021 5:56 PM

Is your brother hot or what?

by Anonymousreply 176June 22, 2021 6:10 PM

[quote] Is your brother hot or what?

I suppose. Hard for me to say.

by Anonymousreply 177June 22, 2021 6:31 PM

Did he get a blowjob?

by Anonymousreply 178June 22, 2021 9:18 PM

Gregory.. have you fine tuned your 4th menu or are you sticking with the original plan?

by Anonymousreply 179June 22, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote] Did he get a blowjob?

I really don't know.

by Anonymousreply 180June 23, 2021 12:32 PM

[quote] Gregory.. have you fine tuned your 4th menu or are you sticking with the original plan?

I've been fine tuning it for a while, but it is likely to be something similar to:

Grilled Latin-spice rubbed flank steak served with a lime-chipotle aioli and a chimichurri sauce

Grilled chicken thighs—marinated in olive oil, Dijon, fresh thyme and rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, and crushed red pepper flakes and then tossed (post grilling) in lemon juice and fresh parsley and thyme and sprinkled with Maldon Sea Salt

Some sort of couscous or grain salad

Cherry tomatoes with burrata and torn basil lightly dressed with a drizzle of good EVOO and a just a soupçon of a very good syrupy balsamic

Blueberry pies, peach cobblers, and homemade vanilla ice cream

by Anonymousreply 181June 23, 2021 12:44 PM

Hogs at the trough

by Anonymousreply 182June 23, 2021 3:48 PM

[quote] Hogs at the trough

Such a lovely thing for you to say. What a nice person you must be.

by Anonymousreply 183June 23, 2021 3:53 PM

Gregory.. have you tried this wheatberry salad from Ina? It's interesting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184June 23, 2021 7:37 PM

He doesn’t but he does know her cocktails

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185June 23, 2021 8:33 PM

Sounds wonderful, Greg. I'm particularly enthusiastic about the flank steak w/chimichurri. And the pies!

by Anonymousreply 186June 23, 2021 8:54 PM

Cream pie

by Anonymousreply 187June 23, 2021 9:53 PM

Planning for the party...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188June 23, 2021 10:55 PM

[quote] Gregory.. have you tried this wheatberry salad from Ina? It's interesting.

I have not tried that but I definitely will. I think it looks good! Thank you for the recommendation!

by Anonymousreply 189June 24, 2021 11:52 PM

[quote] Cream pie

Another lowbrow Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 190June 24, 2021 11:53 PM

If mammary serves, I think the Fourth of July should be a hotdogs and hamburgers type of meal.

by Anonymousreply 191June 25, 2021 1:05 AM

Greg, what kind of ice cream maker do you have? The summer before covid (what the hell year was that?) I tried a couple (my library system had two kinds to check out) and read up on a bunch more. It seemed incredibly difficult to me to get good results. Or am I just a klutz?

by Anonymousreply 192June 25, 2021 1:11 AM

[quote] If mammary serves, I think the Fourth of July should be a hotdogs and hamburgers type of meal.

Mammary glands are tits. I think you meant “memory.”

by Anonymousreply 193June 25, 2021 1:32 AM

[quote] Mammary glands are tits. I think you meant “memory.”

No, I meant "mammary."

by Anonymousreply 194June 25, 2021 1:54 AM

Tits AHOY

by Anonymousreply 195June 25, 2021 11:58 AM

I love Tits Ahoy. Especially with a cold glass of milk.

by Anonymousreply 196June 27, 2021 4:06 PM

Gregory! The countdown has begun! Are you making your to-do lists and checking them twice?

by Anonymousreply 197June 29, 2021 5:13 PM

Greg I thought you were going to ditch the aioli for a substitute. Otherwise everything sounds lovely. Like the poster above said “the count down has begun.”

I’m anxious to hear any last minute changes. 😃

by Anonymousreply 198June 29, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] Gregory! The countdown has begun! Are you making your to-do lists and checking them twice?

Yes, of course! I have my to-do list written and I'm hoping for agreeable weather. I may make my pie crusts tonight.

by Anonymousreply 199June 30, 2021 5:12 PM

Greg and his parties may not even exist but damn I find it engaging. I wish I knew people who threw parties like this

by Anonymousreply 200June 30, 2021 10:09 PM

Greg, your friends will be happy with several jugs of Mountain Dew and whatever comes out of the deep fryer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 30, 2021 10:34 PM

Looks like a lovely day out for you and gal pals r201

by Anonymousreply 202July 1, 2021 5:30 PM

[quote] Greg and his parties may not even exist but damn I find it engaging. I wish I knew people who threw parties like this

Well, this is Greg and I and my parties do indeed exist! And, if you were in Boston, maybe I'd invite you to one.

:-)

by Anonymousreply 203July 1, 2021 7:01 PM

Raise your hand if you don’t care about Greg or his party?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204July 1, 2021 7:41 PM

It all depends if there will be anal at Greg’s fête.

by Anonymousreply 205July 1, 2021 7:50 PM

It's now 8:30 a.m. on Monday, July 5 in Boston. I hope that Greg and his guests are able to sleep in after last night's big bash.

by Anonymousreply 206July 5, 2021 12:35 PM

Oh shit, did Greg die???

by Anonymousreply 207July 5, 2021 9:45 PM

Maybe one of his guests pushed him off the roof during the fireworks-watching portion of the carefully planned and strictly scheduled party, to protest the pretentious lime-chipotle aioli and Béarnaise mayonnaise but no patriotic flag cake.

by Anonymousreply 208July 5, 2021 11:09 PM

Sweet Jesus. Gregory! Give us a sign. Thoughts and prayers.

by Anonymousreply 209July 6, 2021 12:44 AM

Nobody listens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210July 6, 2021 1:14 AM

Greg was drugged with GHB and woke up the next morning with no food in his stomach but buckets of cum in his capacious hole. Boner Appétit, everyone.

by Anonymousreply 211July 6, 2021 6:04 AM

You people are crazy. And what is so pretentious about lime-chipotle aioli?

by Anonymousreply 212July 6, 2021 4:15 PM

Greg, if you have to ask . . .

by Anonymousreply 213July 6, 2021 4:46 PM

No recap of the big day Greg? Quite anti climatic for those of us not invited.

by Anonymousreply 214July 6, 2021 8:35 PM

R212 Greg, did you chop some cilantro at the last minute and stir it in?

by Anonymousreply 215July 6, 2021 8:37 PM

[quote] Greg, did you chop some cilantro at the last minute and stir it in?

No, I'm afraid I did not. Sounds like it might be good, however.

by Anonymousreply 216August 3, 2021 2:01 AM

Labor Day is right around the corner Greg! What you got planned?

by Anonymousreply 217August 3, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote] Labor Day is right around the corner Greg! What you got planned?

Good question! I will give that some thought and share my plans here. It likely be New England themed.

by Anonymousreply 218August 4, 2021 2:17 PM

New England Clam Chowder Steamers

That's all I have so far...but I'm working on it.

by Anonymousreply 219August 5, 2021 12:45 PM

The clams made people sick, but who cares? It’s the best recipe the world has ever seen!!

by Anonymousreply 220August 5, 2021 12:52 PM

[quote] The clams made people sick, but who cares? It’s the best recipe the world has ever seen!!

Not past tense. We're talking about Labor Day. Labor Day occurs in September. Get with it.

And they won't make people sick. They will be simple and delicious.

by Anonymousreply 221August 5, 2021 12:55 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!