Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Post Vaccine Dinner Party

I am inviting several vaccinated friends to my house for a spring dinner party, in two weeks. Here is the menu I'm considering but welcome any ideas from all of you.

7:30: Cocktails with Smoked Salmon Canapes and Gougeres

8:30: Dinner

I. Seared Loin of Cod atop House-made Creamed Farmers Market Corn with Sliced Baby Fingerlings and Pancetta, Sautéed Asparagus Tips, and Veal Demi-Glace

II. Salad with Aged-Sherry Vinaigrette served with a platter of three cheeses (cow, sheep, goat), and Baguette

III. Pavlova

Mignardises, Candied Ginger, Chocolate served following dinner with coffee, brandy, port, and Madeira

by Anonymousreply 499June 27, 2021 4:53 AM

[quote]Mignardises, Candied Ginger, Chocolate served following dinner with coffee, brandy, port, and Madeira

Are your guests all over 90, OP? Or will you be tele-transporting them all in from a Season 1 episode of DOWNTOWN ABBEY?

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2021 9:09 PM

IV Mild headache, cough, fatigue, loss of taste and smell.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2021 9:09 PM

Replace the canapés with Spaghetti-O’s.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2021 9:09 PM

Veal Demi-Glace on the asparagus? On the cod? I'm baffled.

Also, whatever you serve I would still make sure everyone gets his/her own portion rather than serving off a platter/sharing or whatever. Just a psychological thing still at this point in the world order, vaccine or no.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2021 9:09 PM

Cod have loins?

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2021 9:09 PM

V Trouble breathing, chest pain, blue lips.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2021 9:10 PM

I survived for this?

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2021 9:12 PM

VI Intubation, chest compressions, body bag.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2021 9:12 PM

So fancy!

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2021 9:13 PM

I always imagine these OPs are written by Paul Lynde, but more Uncle Arthur Paul Lynde than Hollywood Squares Paul Lynde.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2021 9:14 PM

The only thing you seem to be missing there is a good helping of Veal Prince Orloff.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2021 9:14 PM

Will you have hired help in to help serve, prep, and clear this elaborate, multi-course, fussy menu? (I'd never dream of a serving a dinner like this without help.)

Will you be able to ascertain that they are vaccinated as well?

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2021 9:15 PM

[quote] Veal Demi-Glace on the asparagus? On the cod? I'm baffled.

Good question. Here's how I will plate it on my large white shallow soup-plates:

Spoon some of the Demi-glace on the bottom of the soup plate to just cover the bottom. Put a small mound of the creamed corn on top of that, dead center. Put the seared cod right on top of the corn. Drop several asparagus tips, some of the sliced fingerlings, and the small cubes of crispy pancetta in the demi-glace surrounding the corn and cod. And I'll put a tiny bit of micro greens on top of the cod.

It's delicious.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2021 9:17 PM

Did we really need to know that the corn came from a farmer's market? Will your guests refuse it if it doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2021 9:17 PM

If one more Ostrich feathers flies off that cunt's caftan and into my aspic...

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2021 9:17 PM

No offense, but it sounds kinda disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2021 9:18 PM

Where are the first two courses? You're serving half a dinner.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2021 9:18 PM

It's nice your menu is something people will remember.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2021 9:19 PM

[quote] Will you have hired help in to help serve, prep, and clear this elaborate, multi-course, fussy menu? (I'd never dream of a serving a dinner like this without help.)

Will you be able to ascertain that they are vaccinated as well?

Yes, they are very good friends, so I know that they have all been vaccinated and have waited the appropriate number of weeks.

No hired help. This is quite easy. I never serve a starter course at home. So, the creamed corn will be made a day ahead. The potatoes, pancetta, and asparagus tips will also be made ahead. The Demi-glace will be made several days in advance. So, all I will have to do last minute is sear the cod.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2021 9:20 PM

This thing's gonna need a palate flamethrower.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2021 9:20 PM

It sounds like the kind of meal you would make when you've invited over Arlene Francis.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote] No offense, but it sounds kinda disgusting.

No offense taken. It's not at all disgusting. Cod is so light and clean tasting and it goes very well with the sweetness of the corn and the richness of the Demi-glace. The salt of the pancetta is amazing with it. And asparagus tips....who doesn't like asparagus tips.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2021 9:22 PM

Oh c'mon Greg, we know it's just going to be you, a meatball sub and a side of fries..

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2021 9:23 PM

How does one sear a loin of cod? To sear something implies that it should be served rare on the inside OR charred on the outside, or some combo of both. Searing is a quick-cooking method best used on heartier cuts of meat and seafood, like tuna for example. Cod is a delicate white fish that completely flakes apart upon cooking. How does one handle an entire loin of cod, sear it, and then serve it, without it looking like shit?

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2021 9:27 PM

There’s a good old Polari word for this:

Naff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2021 9:29 PM

A dinner party for Fat Whores.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2021 9:31 PM

R24, I have an excellent fish monger and I ask for thick 6-ounce portions.

Then I get a pan screaming hot, add a small amount of canola oil and once that's smoking, I add the cod and DO NOT TOUCH IT for a full five minutes, until the fish is able to be flipped without using a spatula or needing to pry it loose. When it's ready to be lifted, it will come right up. Once it's flipped, I add some knobs of butter to the pan and then reduce the heat to low/med low. Then I continually baste the cod pieces with the hot butter until they are cooked through. Then they are plated with the golden brown side up.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2021 9:33 PM

Yes, see this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2021 9:35 PM

To ease your burden a bit, Mary OP, Walmart has Del Monte creamed corn on sale this week for 89 cents/can.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2021 9:36 PM

What? No calf's brains?

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2021 9:36 PM

So many negative people here. That menu sounds lovely and I would order it in a restaurant without thinking twice.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2021 9:37 PM

R24, have you never had seared foie gras? Lots of things can be seared. And, you can do what the OP will do and baste the second side with butter, or you can sear it and then once it's flipped, finish it in the oven. Easy peasy.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2021 9:38 PM

R24 must not eat out very often if he's never had a beautiful presentation of seared cod.

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2021 9:39 PM

[quote] A dinner party for Fat Whores.

Class act.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2021 9:51 PM

So many things on that plate, I wouldn’t remember what I ate.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2021 10:16 PM

You'll remember the corn... you'll be able to see it for days.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2021 10:20 PM

I hate cod.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2021 10:24 PM

Cod hates fags. Womp womp.

by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2021 10:25 PM

[quote]Creamed Farmers Market Corn

I agree that this detail is a bit de trop, OP. Unless you're prepared to share the sourcing/provenance of all of your menu items, this just sounds pretentious. And silly.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2021 10:28 PM

I don’t know what everybody is complaining about. Sounds like the perfect dinner for a bingo party to me.

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2021 10:47 PM

This menu looks prissy and like you’re more focused on trying to look fancy rather than have good food.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2021 10:53 PM

Pizza, calzone, fresh garlic knots, a salad and key lime pie...no foo foo here

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2021 10:54 PM

“Screaming hot” pans? “Knobs” of butter? Are you that blogger slob Gluten-Free Girl?

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2021 11:07 PM

It'll be great. I'll be praying for low humidity for your Pavlova. I made one for the first time 2 weeks ago, for an indoor dinner party with some friends, and was surprised how good it was. There was one piece left and I took it home with me, had it for breakfast - the meringue *still* retained some crunch even after being in a plastic container overnight in the fridge. Worth making again. I did it with strawberries. Delicious. The rest of the meal sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2021 11:13 PM

Rethink this. You can’t serve corn until mid-July. Anything earlier is tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2021 11:19 PM

The food sounds good, the boring conversation would make me skip it.

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2021 11:21 PM

^This DOES NOT violate The Unwritten Code in any way. Corn may CERTAINLY be served on Memorial Day Weekend with NO fear of shame or shade. You KNOW that...

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2021 11:22 PM

Fanny Craddock lives!

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2021 11:27 PM

What are fingerlings?

When I googled the term, I get this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2021 11:38 PM

I would lose the fingerlings if you have corn and find a substitute for the veal stock. Even people who eat beef may draw the line at veal. I would make my opener fresher and lighter. I would make sure that fresh fruit played some part

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2021 11:40 PM

Okay, I solved the puzzle of how you get veal demi-glace without veal, but I still don't get the culinary logic of bringing veal into this menu.

Of course veal farming is notoriously inhumane, but there are also lots of reasons you shouldn't be eating an overfished fish like cod.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2021 11:47 PM

“Farmer’s market corn” in May?

Do you live in Ecuador?

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2021 11:48 PM

May I have a cigar with my brandy?

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2021 11:49 PM

I'm sorry, I don't think I'd want to eat anything the way it is prepared on this menu. Would it be more embarrassing to pick at the food or decline it entirely?

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2021 11:54 PM

[quote] I'm sorry, I don't think I'd want to eat anything the way it is prepared on this menu. Would it be more embarrassing to pick at the food or decline it entirely?

Why not? It sounds delicious. And you know it would be. No one goes to this trouble without making sure dinner is pretty amazing.

by Anonymousreply 55May 25, 2021 12:23 AM

It would be rather low class to serve this menu by yourself. You need servers. Can you not drum up a couple Filipinos or something?

by Anonymousreply 56May 25, 2021 1:07 AM

[quote] I am inviting several vaccinated friends to my house for a spring dinner party

Will watching reruns of The Rachel Maddow Show be on the agenda?

by Anonymousreply 57May 25, 2021 1:12 AM

Ma's makin' sloppy Joes over at our house tonight. Whyncha c'mon over?

by Anonymousreply 58May 25, 2021 1:18 AM

Nothing could be more appropriate than a........

Festa del Redentore (Venice's annual remembrance of delivery from the plague)

REDENTORE MENU

Prawn, confit duck and borlotti beans *** Bigoli in Salsa *** Stuffed duck *** Peach Bellini

And end it all with an amazing fireworks display

by Anonymousreply 59May 25, 2021 1:18 AM

What the fuck is a gouger and should your guests be afraid!?

by Anonymousreply 60May 25, 2021 1:22 AM

😝 Yuckity-Yuck-Yuck-Yuck !

A Little Caesar's Hot 'n' Ready with a two liter bottle of Coca Cola, please. And some of those cinnamon thingies.

by Anonymousreply 61May 25, 2021 1:30 AM

😜 Shouldn't you wait until after dinner to sear your loins ?

by Anonymousreply 62May 25, 2021 1:34 AM

OP is typing from a basement apartment somewhere. Saw this silly menu someplace and is living out his fantasy here

by Anonymousreply 63May 25, 2021 1:34 AM

I really don't care. I just hope that you know the difference between cilantro and parsley, because if not then it's about to go down!

by Anonymousreply 64May 25, 2021 1:36 AM

If you're forcing cod on your guests just serve them a plate of baccala. They'll stink for days.

by Anonymousreply 65May 25, 2021 1:44 AM

Here's the OP preparing dessert for his guests.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66May 25, 2021 1:59 AM

We had our post-vaccine dinner party this past weekend. Marijuana laced gummy bears were served with the Aperol Spritzers. It was my job to bring dessert- I brought a Dairy Queen Oreo Blizzard cake. We all got high and forgot to put the cake in the freezer. It was almost soup by the time it was served, but it was delicious. We all ate two slices.

by Anonymousreply 67May 25, 2021 2:26 AM

Have your guests take the Surströmming challenge. Skip the finger bowls for vomit buckets.

by Anonymousreply 68May 25, 2021 2:28 AM

I had gougeres once. It took two months and several visits to the clinic to get rid of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 69May 25, 2021 2:34 AM

The Imaginary Dinner Party Troll had been waiting more than a year to detail her next imaginary dinner party. Admire her persistence.

by Anonymousreply 70May 25, 2021 2:39 AM

OP is Miss Haversham. Dinner guests include Pip and one haughty Estella. Dessert to be served by the fire.

by Anonymousreply 71May 25, 2021 2:49 AM

Cocktails: what kind? I would do something citrus-y.

Cod: I think of this as boring. I'd rather have another type of fish or meat.

Salad: What will be in your salad? Mixed greens can be boring. I think people are more interested in vegetables these days.

Cow, sheep, and goat cheeses: What kinds of cheeses? Cheddar? I think of sheep and goat cheeses as similar.

Pavlova: sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 72May 25, 2021 2:57 AM

What absurdity.

No one craps out a pasted "menu" on the DL and gets away with it.

Schmuck.

by Anonymousreply 73May 25, 2021 2:58 AM

OP, your efforts are lovely. DL's posters are largely unsophisticated about food and are threatened by the prospect of eating meatloaf which Mom used to make with saltines and ketchup. As I posted earlier, I would lighten and freshen things up. Incorporate as much farmer's market produce and fruit as you can. When you originally said gougeres, I thought you meant a giant one in a ring mold but little individual cheese puffs are delicious. I wouldn't do a salmon if you're already serving cod. I would do watermelon with Caprese if you can get a ripe melon this early. It's a lovely menu and I would be flattered if anyone went to that much effort for me.

by Anonymousreply 74May 25, 2021 3:30 AM

I've noticed that gay men are obsessed with pavlovas. Why is that? It's like every gay man's favorite dessert, along with carrot cake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 25, 2021 3:38 AM

[quote] Pizza, calzone, fresh garlic knots, a salad and key lime pie

I know most of the items will come from Pizza Hut, but where are you getting the Key Lime Pie? A Marie Callendar's frozen pie, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 76May 25, 2021 4:08 AM

OP I absolutely love your choices. I would suggest even more sophisticated, refined, delectable fare for your savvy and discerning guests, but it’s late and I’m too tired to whip up a menu for you.

by Anonymousreply 77May 25, 2021 4:17 AM

No one under 40 gives a shit about your bougie elder gay menu. What is it with you old gays and food?

by Anonymousreply 78May 25, 2021 4:22 AM

I can't believe someone would invite me to a fancy sit-down dinner and serve a main course of codfish.

You can tart it up however you like. It's freaking codfish.

by Anonymousreply 79May 25, 2021 4:31 AM

Comfort food and the best wines you can afford should be served at a post vaccine party.

by Anonymousreply 80May 25, 2021 4:39 AM

And he's starting the meal with cod fish! He should just serve the entire thing in an aspic and see the smiles of anticipation on his guests' faces. It will look like it's still swimming but frozen in time. Like something prehistoric.

by Anonymousreply 81May 25, 2021 5:39 AM

I think you have too many conflicting flavors and the foods are too heavy for a spring dinner. I'd skip the veal demi glace and let the cod stand on its own. Then, I'd replace the creamed corn with a fresh "relish" of fresh corn, tomatoes, watermelon, onions, beans (garbanzo or green beans) served cold, with the cod on top. Watermelon and tomatoes are great together. Garnish the fish with a bit of the relish mixture. Toss it with just a bit of olive oil, S&P and some thyme or mint .

You're serving two seafood dishes right next to each other- the salmon and the cod. I'd switch the salmon mousse for something else. Maybe a mushroom/puff pastry something?

Good luck with your dinner. I'm sure that whatever you serve, your guests will enjoy it.

Yhen, I'd just serve the salad with the baguette, and save the cheeses for after dinner, along with the Pavlova. Some people don't like sweets after dinner, and cheeses are usually served after a dinner such as this.

I'm somewhat changing your menu from French to Mediterranean, but that's lighter for a Spring dinner.

by Anonymousreply 82May 25, 2021 5:58 AM

Seafood is kind of something you either love or hate. I would can (drop) the Cod and veal both are too specific and old farty. Go safe with a light summer (non-cream) pasta dish, fresh bread (you can never go wrong), a veggie and garden salad or Fatoush.

by Anonymousreply 83May 25, 2021 6:04 AM

[quote]OP is Miss Haversham.

Oh, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 84May 25, 2021 6:16 AM

Sounds inedible!

by Anonymousreply 85May 25, 2021 6:22 AM

I like R82's menu better. And I don't like Pavlova; how about some nice berry tarts, or something lemony?

by Anonymousreply 86May 25, 2021 11:40 AM

[quote] Will watching reruns of The Rachel Maddow Show be on the agenda?

Ah no. No television will be watched. I'm having a local chamber group come over to play out on the sunporch during the cocktail hour, when, once everyone has drink in hand, I'll conduct a tour of my perennial border and cutting garden.

by Anonymousreply 87May 25, 2021 12:28 PM

[quote] You're serving two seafood dishes right next to each other- the salmon and the cod. I'd switch the salmon mousse for something else. Maybe a mushroom/puff pastry something?

No—the smoked salmon is not a "dish" it's an hors d'oeuvre served during the cocktail hour. Smoked salmon atop tiny brioche toasts (spread with a bit of cream cheese combined with lemon zest and chives) and topped with a sprig of baby dill.

by Anonymousreply 88May 25, 2021 12:38 PM

R83 — I'll take abuse for this, but most of my friends don't tend to eat bread. Too many carbs.

by Anonymousreply 89May 25, 2021 12:39 PM

Don’t know why there’s such negativity. Your menu sounds gorgeous. I love it when friends care enough to push the boat out like that.

I would add peppermint tea to the after dinner drinks options, personally. Very refreshing after a rich meal.

I hate having to ask this, but what’s a fingerling? I googled but all I’ve come up with is a kids toy.

by Anonymousreply 90May 25, 2021 12:40 PM

[quote] I think you have too many conflicting flavors

This comment surprises me. Cod is so mild so there is not much flavor there to conflict with. Corn is lovely and sweet, the pancetta is salty (and the pieces of pancetta are the size of a pencil eraser and there are just some tucked in as a lovely surprising and salty burst of flavor to balance the rich sweetness of the corn). Potatoes are not particularly flavorful, and the asparagus is nice but as I said, only the tips which I'll sauté in butter. I don't think there are conflicting flavors. And cod is very often served with a combination of bacon and corn.

by Anonymousreply 91May 25, 2021 12:43 PM

R90, thank you!

Fingerlings are small finger-shaped potatoes. For this meal, I keep it simple and will just boil them and slice them in quarter-sized rounds. The creamed corn with the tucked in fingerlings and pancetta beneath the cod gives this dish a sort of deconstructed chowder favor profile.

by Anonymousreply 92May 25, 2021 12:47 PM

R90, see this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93May 25, 2021 12:48 PM

[quote] I can't believe someone would invite me to a fancy sit-down dinner and serve a main course of codfish.

[quote] You can tart it up however you like. It's freaking codfish.

I guess you don't go out to nice restaurants that often. Around here, one can go to an upscale seafood restaurant and pay big money for a lovely cod dish. I guess I get your point, but I suspect it comes from a limited experience.

by Anonymousreply 94May 25, 2021 12:53 PM

Well....I've enjoyed the banter, I'm off down the chippie to order my cod and chips...with a slash of vinegar

by Anonymousreply 95May 25, 2021 1:13 PM

I'll see cod on a menu in a restaurant and I'll think not in a million years. It's what we got every Friday when I was growing up. I don't give a damn how light and flakey it is. That's how my mother served it. Of course if a host held a gun to my head then I'll politely smile and suffer it.

by Anonymousreply 96May 25, 2021 1:23 PM

R96, When your mother used to serve me her fish it was always dry and fishy tasting.

by Anonymousreply 97May 25, 2021 1:37 PM

It was what you deserved.

by Anonymousreply 98May 25, 2021 1:41 PM

I'm just curious but what are you making with your leftover yolks?

by Anonymousreply 99May 25, 2021 1:52 PM

[quote] I'm just curious but what are you making with your leftover yolks?

I use the leftover yolks to make either hollandaise sauce, lemon curd, or sabayon (zabaglione).

by Anonymousreply 100May 25, 2021 2:05 PM

Oh....sometimes I'll use them in a Caesar salad as well.

by Anonymousreply 101May 25, 2021 2:05 PM

Why salad and cheese as a second course? And why have a Pavlova AND more dessert after?

by Anonymousreply 102May 25, 2021 2:09 PM

Because after a Pavlova, people want to eat a real dessert.

by Anonymousreply 103May 25, 2021 2:13 PM

[quote]Then I get a pan screaming hot, add a small amount of canola oil and once that's smoking, I add the cod and DO NOT TOUCH IT for a full five minutes

You're pulling our legs, I'm sure of it. Charred cod reduced down to bits of carbon, basted in butter and served over veal demi-glace. Nightmare fuel!

by Anonymousreply 104May 25, 2021 3:20 PM

[quote] You're pulling our legs, I'm sure of it. Charred cod reduced down to bits of carbon, basted in butter and served over veal demi-glace. Nightmare fuel!

Ah, no I'm not. The cod will not even be close to charred and will look like the photo in the link. This is a delicious way to serve cod. Cod is so mild and sweet that it works really well with a Demi-glace. If you don't like veal, you can successfully make a brown chicken stock and turn that into a Demi-glace.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 25, 2021 4:18 PM

No sardines?

by Anonymousreply 106May 25, 2021 4:20 PM

[quote] Why salad and cheese as a second course? And why have a Pavlova AND more dessert after?

I don't like to serve a starter course at home. It's too restaurant like and without help, your guests are eating a first course with the entree getting cold in the kitchen. So, my approach to a dinner party is:

I offer my guests beer, wine, or cocktails before dinner. For cocktails I am always sure to have gin, vodka, tequila, rum, rye, Scotch, Campari, and mixers. Most of my friends will drink wine, a martini, a Manhattan, an Old Fashioned, or tequila with a squeeze of lime juice in it.

Simple, easy hors d'oeuvres. I don't want people arriving at the table full. So I often put out nuts, olives, and something simple like some smoked salmon or gougeres which are cheese puffs but are completely hollow. They are made with the same pastry (Pâte à Choux) one uses to make cream puffs and eclairs but to make them savory, grated Gruyere and a pinch of cayenne pepper is added. These are delicious and light just out of the oven. People are mad for them.

Entree at the table served with wine.

I prefer having salad, a baguette, and cheese in between the entree and dessert. This is not the time to add all sorts of things to the salad. Just the most perfect greens you can find and a good vinaigrette, used in moderation, some good Fleur de sel and some cracked pepper. A wonderful crusty baguette (no butter), and a platter of three cheeses (or sometimes I serve just one perfect cheese). This is a delicious interlude that if done with the best products, is perfect.

Dessert at the table. I never serve coffee at the table.

Then we move to another room and I always have decaf coffee available, herbal tea for anyone who wants that, brandy, Madeira, and port are offered. And just small amounts of things like candied ginger and lemon peel, and some small but beautiful chocolates.

That's my recipe for a successful and wonderful dinner party.

by Anonymousreply 107May 25, 2021 4:33 PM

And music. Jazz or something from Buddha Bar or Hotel Costes. Lots of soft, non-overhead lighting. Candles. Flowers and plants. I like to keep it casual despite how this might read. Guests are encouraged to mix their own drinks after the first one.

by Anonymousreply 108May 25, 2021 4:45 PM

Mary OP is clearly a woman not only of high culinary refinement but also of great wealth.

by Anonymousreply 109May 25, 2021 5:44 PM

I guess OP wanted to tell everybody about his menu plans. He wasn't looking for any suggestions to do something different.

by Anonymousreply 110May 25, 2021 5:48 PM

Is this for a Dynasty viewing party?

by Anonymousreply 111May 25, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote] Is this for a Dynasty viewing party?

No. OP says:

[quote] I'm having a local chamber group come over to play out on the sunporch during the cocktail hour, when, once everyone has drink in hand, I'll conduct a tour of my perennial border and cutting garden.

by Anonymousreply 112May 25, 2021 5:53 PM

It's kind of early for the perennial border to look like much...

by Anonymousreply 113May 25, 2021 5:56 PM

[quote] It's kind of early for the perennial border to look like much...

Oh no it isn't. I have beautiful Hosta, bleeding hearts, peonies (lots), irises, creeping phlox, lots of alliums, snow in summer, salvia, Solomon's ladder. And pots of geraniums.

by Anonymousreply 114May 25, 2021 6:13 PM

^. I love some fingerling!

by Anonymousreply 115May 25, 2021 6:18 PM

You know, except for the veal demi-glacé, that sounds like a really delicious dinner! I say make it and enjoy with friends. Who cleans up is another matter, but my husband and I have the deal that whoever cooks doesn’t have to scrub pots. Because I can burn boiled water, my scrubbing skills are legendary!

by Anonymousreply 116May 25, 2021 6:22 PM

At what point during the dinner will you be reading out the minutes of the Maiden Aunt Brigade?

by Anonymousreply 117May 25, 2021 6:23 PM

How bout a lil fingerlingus?

by Anonymousreply 118May 25, 2021 6:23 PM

And like any of you fat fucks knew what "Gougeres" were!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119May 25, 2021 6:24 PM

R119, what are you talking about?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120May 25, 2021 6:28 PM

Thanks, R116. Believe it or not, a meat Demi-glace is sometimes so nice with fish.

by Anonymousreply 121May 25, 2021 6:31 PM

I expect you'll have an embossed menu and you'll announce each course with a detailed explanation of how each was prepared. And if there is anybody there who truly cares about you they will then tell you to shut the fuck up they would have preferred a good hamburger from the grill.

by Anonymousreply 122May 25, 2021 6:43 PM

R122—why so rude?

I already said that this is a casual evening with close friends. So you might consider getting over yourself.

So, no menu cards. And I think it's incredibly boring to talk about the food at a dinner with friends, so at the risk of disappointing you, there will be no detailed explanations or any sort of explanations about the food. We all have careers, interests, children, grandchildren, and politics to talk about.

I love hamburgers from the grill, but I don't have to have them all the time.

Any more questions or observations?

by Anonymousreply 123May 25, 2021 7:05 PM

For R122, anything nice must be putting on airs.

by Anonymousreply 124May 25, 2021 7:06 PM

I'd skip the salmon if you're going with fish as the main course. I would also suggest splurging on some Chilean Sea Bass if there's a place near you that sells it fresh. Super easy to broil with a little oil, s&p.

by Anonymousreply 125May 25, 2021 7:15 PM

R125, it's endangered.

by Anonymousreply 126May 25, 2021 7:18 PM

Because you seem fussy beyond belief and it sounds anything but relaxed.

by Anonymousreply 127May 25, 2021 7:20 PM

Well, it will be relaxed. We are good friends who get together often. And we love to drink.

Plus, I've hired a mime.

by Anonymousreply 128May 25, 2021 7:22 PM

How long will it take to conduct the tour of the perennial border and cutting garden? Is the tour optional or mandatory?

by Anonymousreply 129May 25, 2021 7:27 PM

I'm inviting my trumpster neighbors over for a truce meal. I'll be serving the very elegantly prepared Salmon Ella.

by Anonymousreply 130May 25, 2021 7:30 PM

Will Miss Andi Cohen be there with film crew to use the footage on her next Bravo special?

by Anonymousreply 131May 25, 2021 7:30 PM

R128 Ouch! Well at least you have a sense of humor about it.

by Anonymousreply 132May 25, 2021 7:32 PM

[quote] casual evening with close friends

I'd hate to see what a formal dinner looked like at Chez Greg

by Anonymousreply 133May 25, 2021 7:35 PM

You'd love it, R133.

by Anonymousreply 134May 25, 2021 7:37 PM

[quote] How long will it take to conduct the tour of the perennial border and cutting garden? Is the tour optional or mandatory?

It will probably take 20 minutes. My guests will be overflowing with questions and praise.

You bet your ass the tour is mandatory. I haven't done all this work to not show it off.

I forgot to mention that after dinner drinks will served in my moon garden.

by Anonymousreply 135May 25, 2021 7:40 PM

Oh, and I'm planning this party around the time that my blackberry bushes will be resplendent with blackberries.

Everyone will be sent home with a jar of my homemade blackberry sage jam (last year's batch of berries) and a cellophane bag of my homemade miniature Madeleines.

by Anonymousreply 136May 25, 2021 7:53 PM

I have friends like OP so I find this believable enough, and somewhat charming, although it doesn't sound as laid-back as you seem to think it does, Greg ...

Also, where do you live that you can get decent farmer's market corn at this time of year? Serious question.

by Anonymousreply 137May 25, 2021 7:55 PM

Is there any penalty for showing up, say, 20 minutes late?

by Anonymousreply 138May 25, 2021 7:56 PM

[quote] Also, where do you live that you can get decent farmer's market corn at this time of year? Serious question.

It's true, the corn won't be abe to come from a farmer's market this time of year. I was thinking that I could go to my favorite market for corn, and didn't consider that it's too early. I'll just get corn on the cob from the supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 139May 25, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote] Is there any penalty for showing up, say, 20 minutes late?

No, I count on people showing up 20 minutes late. One of my great pet peeves it people who show up at the precise time of the party. I actually had friends once who showed up a little early. I was not amused at all.

Being 15 or 20 minutes late is being polite.

by Anonymousreply 140May 25, 2021 7:59 PM

OK, how about 40 minutes late, then?

by Anonymousreply 141May 25, 2021 8:00 PM

Arriving 40-minutes late is an affront. Anyone who did that would only have time for one cocktail.

by Anonymousreply 142May 25, 2021 8:01 PM

Precisely describe your table setting, is it as formal as your menu?

by Anonymousreply 143May 25, 2021 8:04 PM

I'm no psychic but I think I can safely say that after that huge, heavy meal, your guests will be struggling to suppress a tidal; wave of belches and farts.

by Anonymousreply 144May 25, 2021 8:11 PM

R143:

I have a nice table and so rather than cover it up (which I sometimes do with a white linen tablecloth), I am likely to use some taupe linen hemstitched placemats, and 22" white Irish damask napkins, my everyday silver, white bistro soup plates for the entree, wine and water glasses. Probably two candles on the table (tall ivory tapers in antique pewter candlesticks). I decorate the table this time of year with ferns from my garden—just laid down the center of the table. Small vases (egg cups even) with pink and white peonies down the center of the table. Small pewter salt cellars filled with Maldon Salt and cracked pepper.

For silver: to the left of the plate (working in): large dinner fork, small salad fork. To the right of the plate (working in): large dinner knife, salad/cheese knife. Above the plate: A dessert fork and spoon

by Anonymousreply 145May 25, 2021 8:15 PM

Thank god I didn't receive an invite to this prissy mess

by Anonymousreply 146May 25, 2021 8:17 PM

This is an EST, right?

by Anonymousreply 147May 25, 2021 8:17 PM

[quote] I'm no psychic but I think I can safely say that after that huge, heavy meal, your guests will be struggling to suppress a tidal; wave of belches and farts.

You are crass. The meal will be neither huge nor heavy. The fish entree will be portioned out appropriately: 6 oz of fish, about 3/4 cup of creamed corn, the equivalent of two fingerlings sliced, some small pieces of crispy pancetta (a garnish really), and maybe ten asparagus tips.

The salad is not heavy. Cheese could be for someone who overindulges.

The dessert will be just the right size.

Everything in moderation. And no heavy hors d'oeuvres!

by Anonymousreply 148May 25, 2021 8:20 PM

This is definitely NOT an EST.

by Anonymousreply 149May 25, 2021 8:22 PM

[quote] Thank god I didn't receive an invite to this prissy mess

Jealousy is so unattractive.

by Anonymousreply 150May 25, 2021 8:23 PM

Will your young neighbor Joel be joining? Also, don't give Mitzi and of the cod scraps, it will give her the shits.

by Anonymousreply 151May 25, 2021 8:51 PM

[quote] Simple, easy hors d'oeuvres. I don't want people arriving at the table full. So I often put out nuts, olives, and something simple like some smoked salmon or gougeres which are cheese puffs but are completely hollow.

I don't know how nuts have a reputation of being light hors d'oeuvres. They are, in fact, calorie-dense and very filling.

by Anonymousreply 152May 25, 2021 9:01 PM

I'd be thrilled to be served a dinner like this. My friends and I never cook for each other. We just go out to restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 153May 25, 2021 9:10 PM

Thanks, R153. I wish you were nearby!

by Anonymousreply 154May 25, 2021 9:23 PM

Here’s my post-COVID menu:

Cocktail: “Death in the Afternoon” (Hemingway’s favorite mix of absinthe and champagne)

First course: Homemade chicken soup - cures everything

Main course: Alice B Toklas’ famous “Gigot a la Clinique” - a leg of lamb injected (via hypodermic needle) with tangerine juice and brandy

Dessert: cereal-milk soufflé (made with milk that has soaked with Kellogg’s corn flakes - the original health food straight from Battle Creek Michigan

After dinner, we all do hits of nitrous oxide and pretend we’re on a ventilator.

by Anonymousreply 155May 25, 2021 9:25 PM

Here’s my post COVID menu: 5 bags of chips, 5 bottles of Bacardi Rum, 10 bottles of coke, and 5 gallons of bleach for the post party clean up!

by Anonymousreply 156May 25, 2021 9:27 PM

Alain Ducasse has a good recipe for gougeres. His recipe says you can thaw and reheat any that are leftover but I don’t think they taste the same.

by Anonymousreply 157May 25, 2021 9:40 PM

Interesting, R157. I can't imagine reheating them but he would know.

by Anonymousreply 158May 25, 2021 9:51 PM

Just looked up Ducasse's recipe and it's basically the same one I use. I've only used water, not milk.

by Anonymousreply 159May 25, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote] ... who doesn't like asparagus tips.

Me, R22 -- no offence intended when I discreetly remove them to the edge of the plate. I'll make a tidy pile there with the pancetta bits because I don't eat meat. Not sure what I'll do with the dead baby cow demi glace all over the fish (and presumably dripping onto the fingerlings and corn) -- no way to remove that discreetly without rinsing the fish off in my water goblet and blotting the vegetables with my napkin, so maybe I'll just push it all around but not eat it. Which leaves me with the appetizer, salad, cheese, bread, and dessert -- maybe I'm entitled to extra cocktails and brandy to make up for having to skip dinner?

by Anonymousreply 160May 25, 2021 10:06 PM

I cooked a meal last Friday night for my husband's birthday, we had our best friends over. It was our first dinner party since the start of the pandemic, we're all fully vaxxed now.

At the b-day boy's request I made an antipasto platter, "Olive Garden"-style dinner salad, and chicken parmigiana with spaghetti and homemade tomato sauce. Our neighbors brought an orange and cardamom pound cake they made. We all had a great time.

by Anonymousreply 161May 25, 2021 11:40 PM

I am rather enjoying this prissy thread.

The OP still has not answered on his dinnerware and place settings, these are just as important as the meal itself.

by Anonymousreply 162May 26, 2021 12:17 AM

I certainly did explain my dinnerware and place settings. Can't you read, R162?

by Anonymousreply 163May 26, 2021 12:18 AM

[quote] Not sure what I'll do with the dead baby cow demi glace all over the fish (and presumably dripping onto the fingerlings and corn)

If you read my menu, you would know that the sauce is put on the bottom of the soup plate. You never put sauce all over your meat or fish. It would ruin the crisped golden side and look like shit.

by Anonymousreply 164May 26, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote] The OP still has not answered on his dinnerware and place settings, these are just as important as the meal itself.

R145, dumbass.

by Anonymousreply 165May 26, 2021 12:22 AM

OP seems to be growing testy. Maybe he needs to eat something.

by Anonymousreply 166May 26, 2021 12:38 AM

r164, No need to be vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 167May 26, 2021 12:43 AM

The OP must be hangry and most certainly did not explain to my satisfaction, what exactly is everyday silver?

I fear this meal will be total bust with chinet and flatware from the Oneida factory outlet. I see no fine China or proper flatware listed.

What will the guests think 🧐.

by Anonymousreply 168May 26, 2021 12:47 AM

Sliced baby fingers seems a bit outre.

by Anonymousreply 169May 26, 2021 12:50 AM

It's a casual night with friends. White bistro plates and everyday silver means just that. NOT stainless steel but true silver. Just not the special occasion silver.

by Anonymousreply 170May 26, 2021 12:50 AM

R169, no worse than dead baby cow juice.

by Anonymousreply 171May 26, 2021 1:08 AM

OP, it's not a fussy meal, just a sophisticated one. Don't mind the unwashed DLers who obviously don't appreciate the finer things.

by Anonymousreply 172May 26, 2021 1:13 AM

Thanks, R172. I think you're right.

Where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 173May 26, 2021 1:21 AM

I just had to throw away the thawed salmon I left in its vacuum pack while thawing. The warning is so tiny and was skewed so it was just the end of the sentence--"VACUUM PACK BEFORE THAWING". So I read about listeria and botulism when I could have been eating salmon. Not quite as expensive as fresh, but what a drag. It doesn't seem like I can get a good celebration off the ground--but what would really be great is going into a restaurant, and having a nice meal.

by Anonymousreply 174May 26, 2021 2:12 AM

🐔Why not just order The KFC Post Vaccine Dinner Party Complete Meal, in sizes to accommodate 25-100 people. Choice of baked, fried, or extra crispy with a complete assortment of our famous sides. Beverages and disposable facemasks available at additional cost.

by Anonymousreply 175May 26, 2021 2:49 AM

Out of curiosity, OP, how much will this elaborate feast cost, and how long will it take to prepare?

And will your guests be expected to reciprocate in similar fashion? if so, I'd have to regretfully decline.

by Anonymousreply 176May 26, 2021 3:24 AM

[quote]Spoon some of the Demi-glace on the bottom of the soup plate to just cover the bottom. Put a small mound of the creamed corn on top of that, dead center

Um...

So you're going to have a puddle of yellow surrounded by a puddle of brown.

Also, pavlova? Are you Australian or something?

by Anonymousreply 177May 26, 2021 6:47 AM

^ oi...it's Kiwi cobber

by Anonymousreply 178May 26, 2021 9:15 AM

Creamed corn is disgusting, as is creamed spinach and any creamed meat dish.

Like vomit on a plate.

by Anonymousreply 179May 26, 2021 9:19 AM

What do you do if someone's a vegetarian or do you know in advance that none of the guests are one?

What's the dress code?

by Anonymousreply 180May 26, 2021 9:24 AM

[quote] What do you do if someone's a vegetarian or do you know in advance that none of the guests are one? What's the dress code?

As I've said, these are close friends and so I would know if a good friend was a vegetarian. We are friends who go out to restaurants and often entertain each other at home.

There's no dress code! I'll wear shorts, a button down white shirt, and driving mocs.

by Anonymousreply 181May 26, 2021 3:02 PM

[quote] Creamed corn is disgusting

I would agree that canned creamed corn is not very nice. But if you take fresh corn and sauté it in butter with fresh thyme and add a small amount of heavy cream, you wind up with something altogether different and, in my opinion, delicious. What could be wrong with fresh corn, butter, thyme, and heavy cream? It is not gloppy or pureed in any way. The cream and the starch from the corn provide just the right amount of thickening so it's not soupy.

by Anonymousreply 182May 26, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote] So you're going to have a puddle of yellow surrounded by a puddle of brown. Also, pavlova? Are you Australian or something?

No puddle of yellow. A beautiful dark demi-glace with a mound of corn on top. The corn will not run or be a puddle in any way. If done properly, there's actually no liquid but the corn holds together and has an ambrosial taste.

I really don't understand your question about pavlova. Do you only approve of serving specifically American desserts? Would you never serve a dessert that originated in France or Spain or England or Turkey? I may not be French, but I love making the French classic Reine de Saba (Queen of Sheba) cake. I also love soufflés, etc. I may not be English, but I love making Eton Mess and lots of other classic English desserts. I'm sorry I'm not serving apple pie.

[quote] Are you Australian or something?

I am not Australian. I am something.

by Anonymousreply 183May 26, 2021 3:18 PM

[quote] This menu types OLD. Where's the cherries jubilee made at the table?

This just shows how little you know. I don't think that this entree or the dessert is old fashioned in any way. Your lack of knowledge and taste is exceeded only by your interest in sharing your ignorance..

by Anonymousreply 184May 26, 2021 3:23 PM

Greg,

I think this sounds lovely! You will pull it off because, while it sounds to some people fussy and contrived, your casual friendliness and attitude will just make it an easy and fun time for all.

I'm sure by the everyday silver, you probably mean a rather restrained pattern, not the Francis I that you reserve for formal entertaining. What china are you using? Perhaps a more modern one than grandma's Rosenthal, I suspect.

I would advise against the pewter candlesticks, though. Sterling are much nicer.

Are you plating in the kitchen and having someone bring out each plate, or is there some family-style service going on (I hope not). Or perhaps you can have the butler going around at table and each guest can serve himself. The presentation doesn't seem like it would lend itself to a buffet....

I'm sending you my email separately in case you are short an extra man....

Have fun.

by Anonymousreply 185May 26, 2021 4:27 PM

[italic]Mignardises [/italic]sounds like a joint disease.

I’d be wary.

by Anonymousreply 186May 26, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote]R19 all I will have to do last minute is sear the cod.

And don your finest caftan!

(Be sure to give it a good airing to get the scent of mothballs out.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187May 26, 2021 4:57 PM

[quote]Mignardises sounds like a joint disease.

One of its alternate definitions is "mincing mannerism."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188May 26, 2021 5:16 PM

[quote] What china are you using?

White bistro plates.

by Anonymousreply 189May 26, 2021 5:23 PM

[quote] I would advise against the pewter candlesticks, though. Sterling are much nicer.

I have steering candlesticks but once I moved from the city (where I always used and decorated with sterling silver because I think it's so beautiful) to a more country-like setting, I started collecting pewter since it seems more appropriate to the setting (the farmhouse feel, as opposed to the city). I actually love the pewter in this place.

by Anonymousreply 190May 26, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote] Are you plating in the kitchen and having someone bring out each plate, or is there some family-style service going on (I hope not). Or perhaps you can have the butler going around at table and each guest can serve himself. The presentation doesn't seem like it would lend itself to a buffet....

I am going to plate in the kitchen. For this type of meal, if people made their own plates it would look terrible, but by my doing it, it will look like I envision it. And, I will of course use warmed plates.

Sadly, there is no butler. I keep ringing that little floor buzzer next to my dining room chair and no one comes. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 191May 26, 2021 5:29 PM

Eldergay69:

[quote] I'm sending you my email separately in case you are short an extra man....

How are you going to do that? Where do you live?

by Anonymousreply 192May 26, 2021 5:31 PM

I think DL’s first joint venture of this year should be crashing this event. Very drunk, trailing McDonalds wrappers.

by Anonymousreply 193May 26, 2021 5:34 PM

Not in love with all the antagonism shown here but you shouldn't say you'd welcome any suggestions when you don't. You should have said "Jealous, bitches?"

by Anonymousreply 194May 26, 2021 5:39 PM

I love all the hard work that went into this. Nice job! It's Datalounge though, so I have to be at least a little snarky:

1. I'm an eldergay who eats at 5pm and goes to bed at 9pm. I'm typically starving by 5pm, so it would be literal torture to make me wait until 8:30pm. 2. Seriously, has anyone ever gotten excited about cod? 3. The excessive pretention made my eyes roll SO hard. We get it, you're fancy, but you're trying a little too hard. It almost sounds like a satirical exaggeration of putting on airs. Dial it back just a tiny bit and you'll come across a bit less annoying.

by Anonymousreply 195May 26, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote] ...but you shouldn't say you'd welcome any suggestions when you don't.

Oh, but I do. There have been a few good suggestions here, but mostly just crap from people who like to tear things down to make themselves feel better about their sad lives.

by Anonymousreply 196May 26, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] 1. I'm an eldergay who eats at 5pm and goes to bed at 9pm. I'm typically starving by 5pm, so it would be literal torture to make me wait until 8:30pm. 2. Seriously, has anyone ever gotten excited about cod? 3. The excessive pretention made my eyes roll SO hard. We get it, you're fancy, but you're trying a little too hard. It almost sounds like a satirical exaggeration of putting on airs. Dial it back just a tiny bit and you'll come across a bit less annoying.

Just what is an "eldergay?" Some of my friends are in their late 60s and are perfectly fine eating dinner at 8:30. In fact, when we sometimes go to the theater or opera, we eat dinner at 10:30/11:00 in a restaurant. This isn't a nursing home here.

Has anyone ever gotten excited about cod? I have no idea. My goal isn't to excite people, but to have a nice meal where the food is delicious and the conversation even more delicious.

Some of the excessive pretension you mention is to provoke people here. It's so easy to do! And it's fun!

There is no mime.

by Anonymousreply 197May 26, 2021 6:56 PM

But the mime is what I was most excited about! And the tour! And the chamber orchestra.

by Anonymousreply 198May 26, 2021 7:18 PM

[quote] people who like to tear things down to make themselves feel better about their sad lives.

You are so above it all.

[quote] the excessive pretension you mention is to provoke people here.

Or maybe just an ordinary troll.

by Anonymousreply 199May 26, 2021 7:32 PM

[quote] But the mime is what I was most excited about! And the tour! And the chamber orchestra.

Understandably. But, to be honest, there will be no chamber ensemble (and certainly no chamber orchestra—my house is not nearly big enough for an orchestra of any sort).

The tour just naturally happens because people love seeing the garden here and if it's agreeable weather, we can have drinks in the garden.

And I just mentioned a mime for those readers who possess a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 200May 26, 2021 7:38 PM

[quote] You are so above it all.

blah, blah, blah

[quote] Or maybe just an ordinary troll.

blah, blah, blah

by Anonymousreply 201May 26, 2021 7:41 PM

I love the Fussy Menu Troll so, so much. he always reminds me of the episode of "Mad Men" where Betty makes the "round the world" dinner for Don's clients and their wives, and then flips out when she finds don has manipulated her into buying Heineken beer for it 9an exotic treat in the early 1960s in the US).

I love particularly how always one or two items on his fussy menus is/are completely out of season. I used to not realize this was intentional.

by Anonymousreply 202May 26, 2021 7:45 PM

[quote] I love particularly how always one or two items on his fussy menus is/are completely out of season. I used to not realize this was intentional.

huh?

by Anonymousreply 203May 26, 2021 7:47 PM

[quote] There's no dress code! I'll wear shorts, a button down white shirt, and driving mocs.

Will your shorts be ironed? How long will your shorts be? Like John Wayne (short shorts) or Bermuda length?

Will your white shirt be tucked into your shorts? Will there be a belt used on your shorts? If so, what kind of belt?

Will your driving mocs be Tod's?

by Anonymousreply 204May 26, 2021 7:52 PM

I like how people here determine what is fussy and what is not. For some people, keeping a clean and beautiful home would be considered fussy. For some people here, maintaining a beautiful garden and spending money on it would be considered fussy. For some people here, using anything but paper/plastic plates and drinking beer from a bottle would be considered fussy. To some people, showering every day would be considered fussy. To some people here, growing berries and making fruit preserves would be considered fussy. To some people, having good manners would be considered fussy.

I don't judge. To each his own.

by Anonymousreply 205May 26, 2021 7:53 PM

[quote] Will your shorts be ironed? How long will your shorts be? Like John Wayne (short shorts) or Bermuda length?

My shorts are typically an inch or two above the knee. No need to iron them. I fold them just as soon as they leave the dryer and that's fine.

[quote] Will your white shirt be tucked into your shorts?

Most likely, yes. It shows off my flat stomach this way.

[quote] Will there be a belt used on your shorts? If so, what kind of belt?

Yes, most likely a grosgrain ribbon belt from Vineyard Vines.

[quote] Will your driving mocs be Tod's?

What else is there? I suppose I could wear a pair from Dapper Lane. I have grown to love purchasing shoes from them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206May 26, 2021 8:01 PM

www.dapperlane.com

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207May 26, 2021 8:03 PM

I hope that Dorinda doesn't lose her shit at my party.

by Anonymousreply 208May 26, 2021 8:04 PM

OP Is preparing Babette’s Feast when all her guests really want is a Domino’s Pizza, a six-pack of Hamm’s and to share a blunt.

by Anonymousreply 209May 26, 2021 8:12 PM

[quote] OP Is preparing Babette’s Feast when all her guests really want is a Domino’s Pizza, a six-pack of Hamm’s and to share a blunt.

I think it's pretty safe to say that my guests do not want pizza, least of all Domino's Pizza. Nor do they want beer. Some of us will smoke a bit after dinner though and I have a fresh batch of Durban Poison for that.

by Anonymousreply 210May 26, 2021 8:27 PM

I should edit my last comment. If I were serving pizza and beer my friends would be happy (though I'm sure a few would find their way to my bar and mix a martini or pour a scotch/vodka/tequilla).

But I wouldn't dream of eating, let alone serving, Domino's Pizza. And I've never even heard of Hamm's beer.

by Anonymousreply 211May 26, 2021 8:45 PM

Well, I never in all my life!

by Anonymousreply 212May 26, 2021 8:53 PM

I love a clam pizza.

by Anonymousreply 213May 26, 2021 8:54 PM

I;'m hoping each of these various dishes and amuse-bouches are served in aspic.

by Anonymousreply 214May 26, 2021 9:10 PM

I'm guessing OP's guests would rather this meal:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215May 26, 2021 10:05 PM

I'm taking 5 guests to Restaurant de l'Hôtel de Ville de Crissier with money I grifted from a dirty multinational's community covid relief funds.

by Anonymousreply 216May 26, 2021 10:15 PM

Shorts, shirt and driving shoes? I'm disappointed to hear it isn't a white tie event. Greg, you're slacking.

by Anonymousreply 217May 27, 2021 12:20 AM

Wait until I describe my annual February White Party. Now that is a good time.

by Anonymousreply 218May 27, 2021 12:38 AM

Or my summer breakfast on the beach party.

by Anonymousreply 219May 27, 2021 12:41 AM

Don't forget my famous candlelight suppers!

by Anonymousreply 220May 27, 2021 12:44 AM

OP is Nathan Lane, here for our amusement reprising his Pepper Saltzman role on Modern Family.

by Anonymousreply 221May 27, 2021 12:46 AM

Shouldn’t there be some kind of spring brunch where everyone brings their pugs, too?

by Anonymousreply 222May 27, 2021 12:50 AM

Speaking of Gougeres I've made those, also made goat cheese mini puffs and profiteroles. They're pretty simple to make too. All based on pate au chouf.

by Anonymousreply 223May 27, 2021 1:00 AM

I'm hosting my cocktail dinatoire – dégustation plein air on my city terrace. Do you like my tablescape? The theme is "half dozen stacked plates" and "forever green" real "boules de buis" I unearthed in a crap store 15 years ago. Still green! Must be the mercury treatment.

the dégustation is catered from the soul food and dim sum restaurants in the hood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224May 27, 2021 1:11 AM

Greg, you sound adorable and I don't even care if this is a put-on or for real. The meal is simple, light and most of the expense would be the drinks, I imagine. Yet it takes some work and shows your affection for your friends. I'd love to hear about the other events, esp. Breakfast on the Beach. I have special memories of great meals, like the first time I had hot German potato salad, or when I made three different flavors of Petit Pots du Creme for my (ungrateful) bf from the Time-Life French Cooking volume. Celebrate life!

by Anonymousreply 225May 27, 2021 1:23 AM

That is a cool-looking table, R224. The only thing I'd change is that I'd make all the boules de buis (topiary-looking things) low. I hate when I'm at a dinner and something's blocking me from seeing who's across the table. Not so bad if it's a huge, round table. But when it's a small, rectangular table, I like the centerpieces to be low.

by Anonymousreply 226May 27, 2021 1:23 AM

I thank the goddess no friend has ever made me sit before a tablescape.

Someone trying really hard is awkward.

by Anonymousreply 227May 27, 2021 1:28 AM

Why do you assume everyone at your table will enjoy this food? Not everyone is partial to gourmet cooking. How would you react if half of your guests didn't eat even a quarter of it?

I think you've put yourself in a very uncomfortable spot.

by Anonymousreply 228May 27, 2021 1:50 AM

I think OP sounds like fun!

by Anonymousreply 229May 27, 2021 4:49 AM

[quote] Why do you assume everyone at your table will enjoy this food? Not everyone is partial to gourmet cooking. How would you react if half of your guests didn't eat even a quarter of it? I think you've put yourself in a very uncomfortable spot.

Seriously? I think these questions are really dumb. Why would I assume everyone will enjoy this food? Because these are my friends and one usually knows what his friends will like. I'm not inviting strangers over. I'm sorry to say, but this menu is not what I would consider gourmet or esoteric. This is basically a piece of well-cooked fish, a sauce that is delicious, and some corn and asparagus. Honestly, you make it sound like I'm serving people kidneys, tripe, or sweetbreads (though I can say that half the people coming love my frisee salad with lardons, hazelnuts, and sweetbreads—no kidding). Despite your limited perspective, this is really not that unusual.

"Not everyone is partial to gourmet cooking." So funny. We all live in or near a major city and dine out often.

So rest assured, in now way have I put myself in an uncomfortable spot. This is nothing more than dinner with a close group of good friends.

Does anyone else out here agree with me?

by Anonymousreply 230May 27, 2021 2:19 PM

What a lovely table, R224! Here's what I'd change:

I don't like stacked plates. They rattle around and seem a bit much.

I don't like salt and pepper shakers. I prefer either salt cellars or very, very small white porcelain dishes filled half with a good salt and the other half with pepper. This way you can use a good sea salt. I prefer Maldon.

The little boxes with the pearl is a bit de trop. Where do people put these after they are seated? Same thing with the chive blossom.

Having napkins beneath two plates, a box, a place card, and a chive is very fussy and complicates things in a way I don't like. The napkin is the first thing people need once they are seated. It should be readily accessible (i.e., not under the silver, not under the plates).

Those little glass containers containing what appear to be Ferrero Rocher chocolates looks strange to me.

Now, tell us about those topiaries.

by Anonymousreply 231May 27, 2021 2:27 PM

R225, you are very kind. Nice to hear from someone who isn't cynical and angry. You seem like a lovely person.

by Anonymousreply 232May 27, 2021 2:29 PM

I agree with you Greg that there's not actually anything that fancy or "gourmet" (what an archaic term!) about your meal. I posted earlier about making chicken parmigiana with homemade sauce for my husband's birthday last week -- well, my husband was describing the meal to his sister that day and when he mentioned homemade sauce to her, she called us "food snobs"! There was truly nothing fancy about this sauce, it was just pureed canned tomatoes with olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, tomato paste and basil. There's just a lot of people who think anything besides Ragu or a Domino's Pizza or Kraft Mac and Cheese is somehow "fancy."

by Anonymousreply 233May 27, 2021 4:17 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234May 27, 2021 4:23 PM

They need to open the gift boxes on the stacked plates, because each one contains a bottle of bespoke poppers that I had made by a celebrated nose at Givaudin.

by Anonymousreply 235May 27, 2021 4:26 PM

OP seems to have a lot of time on his hands.

by Anonymousreply 236May 27, 2021 4:49 PM

R233, Thanks!

I agree with you about the old fashioned word "gourmet." And I remember reading your post about your husband's birthday and thinking that was a meal I would totally serve friends and enjoy. I love chicken parmigiana. One of my favorite nights to entertain used to be Academy Awards night. After cocktails, I'd serve meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and haricots verts—all plated and in the living room with very large linen napkins ("napkins"). This was a great meal because it required no knife and is easy to eat on one's lap. But you're right—some people are very defensive if you talk about anything more than Domino's Pizza. Bottom line: I enjoy cooking (I used to be a private caterer) and I enjoy eating out in both upscale restaurants as well as places like Chinatown and I like good pub food and really good pizza. And my friends have similar interests. This is not about putting on airs but just having a good time. If I'm not having fun, I don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 237May 27, 2021 5:21 PM

First of all, I don't even like the word 'tablescape'

I keep things simple and don't usually detour from the tried and true. Which is why I don't get involved with crystal and usually don't take out china for dinners at home with friends (unless it's a very special occasion). I stick to white: white dishes and white linens. I always have candles in either pewter or silver candlesticks. I like some low and simple flowers. I have plain glass wine and water glasses. But everything looks good and is sparkling. Simplicity doesn't have to look like crap.

by Anonymousreply 238May 27, 2021 5:24 PM

[quote] They need to open the gift boxes on the stacked plates, because each one contains a bottle of bespoke poppers that I had made by a celebrated nose at Givaudin.

I get my bespoke poppers from Guerlain.

by Anonymousreply 239May 27, 2021 5:28 PM

In R237, autocorrect changed the word I have in quotation marks from "lapkins" to "napkins."

It should say "lapkins."

by Anonymousreply 240May 27, 2021 5:29 PM

[quote] OP seems to have a lot of time on his hands.

Well, I guess maybe I do. And in my free time I read, watch Netflix, cook, bake, garden, am restoring an 1830 home, and I love to go out to dinner and also have friends in for dinner.

Guilty as charged.

by Anonymousreply 241May 27, 2021 5:33 PM

[quote] Does anyone else out here agree with me?

Oh, Greg. You were so much cooler when you weren't asking for approval.

by Anonymousreply 242May 27, 2021 5:40 PM

And, by the way, it's spelled 'Givaudan'

by Anonymousreply 243May 27, 2021 5:41 PM

What are haricots verts?

by Anonymousreply 244May 27, 2021 6:49 PM

^^ green beans, Rose

by Anonymousreply 245May 27, 2021 6:59 PM

Lovely, small, thin green beans. Much nicer than ordinary green beans.

by Anonymousreply 246May 27, 2021 8:24 PM

R245 and Rose: haricots verts are the sort of green beans that people like OP/Greg would serve even though the rest of the meal is meatloaf and mashed spuds.

by Anonymousreply 247May 27, 2021 8:31 PM

R241 That certainly answered that uncomfortable question: "Who's the woman?"

by Anonymousreply 248May 27, 2021 8:34 PM

Greg is laying it on thickly now.

by Anonymousreply 249May 27, 2021 8:36 PM

When hasn't she been laying it on thick, R249?

by Anonymousreply 250May 27, 2021 8:42 PM

r249, He's our very own Pepper Saltzman.

by Anonymousreply 251May 27, 2021 10:18 PM

[quote] He's our very own Pepper Saltzman.

Yes, I believe you've already shared that observation.

by Anonymousreply 252May 27, 2021 10:34 PM

I would love to be a guest at this dinner. It’s a little different to how I would cook for friends, and isn’t that part of the fun? It’s a pleasure being a guest of a confident, generous and relaxed host with a style of their own.

by Anonymousreply 253May 27, 2021 10:36 PM

[quote] haricots verts are the sort of green beans that people like OP/Greg would serve even though the rest of the meal is meatloaf and mashed spuds.

I'm curious why this seems to bother you? They are nicer and tastier. I'm so sorry if you disapprove of nice vegetables served alongside a humble meatloaf and mashed potatoes. I hope you'll forgive my offense.

by Anonymousreply 254May 27, 2021 10:36 PM

Who am I again?

Oh, yes! Pepper Saltzman.

by Anonymousreply 255May 27, 2021 10:37 PM

If you're half the hôtesse you claim, Gregoire, you should be able to whip up a soup course from a tin of consomé, a tin of water chestnuts, some condiments, and some greens growing behind the pool house.

by Anonymousreply 256May 27, 2021 10:42 PM

I love cod and make it often. It's actually on tomorrow night's menu. However, count me in as another who questions the choice of demi-glace. It just doesn't seem right.

by Anonymousreply 257May 27, 2021 11:00 PM

[quote] count me in as another who questions the choice of demi-glace. It just doesn't seem right.

And yet, it is delicious. Trust me.

I do realize, however, that almost no one is going to make Demi-glace at home.

by Anonymousreply 258May 27, 2021 11:12 PM

My wife and I are having a bbq on Friday. Here is our menu:

Grapes

regular ceasar salad and vegan ceasar salad

chicken wings

grilled ribs

cheese burgers

tofu hotdogs

quinoa salad

watermelon and or key lime pie

Beverages:

La Croix

gin/scotch/crown royal

beer

red/white wine

by Anonymousreply 259May 27, 2021 11:39 PM

R259, that sounds great! I love all that you're serving except for anything made of tofu.

How do you make your ribs?

No vodka or tequila?

Hope you have a fun time!

by Anonymousreply 260May 27, 2021 11:53 PM

I found a frozen hot dog in the back of the freezer and microwaved it till it exploded. Scraped the bits out of the microwave and put it on stale crackers and called it canapes.

by Anonymousreply 261May 28, 2021 12:03 AM

[quote] I found a frozen hot dog in the back of the freezer and microwaved it till it exploded. Scraped the bits out of the microwave and put it on stale crackers and called it canapes.

Sounds lovely.

by Anonymousreply 262May 28, 2021 12:08 AM

"regular ceasar salad and vegan ceasar salad"

Oh, dear x2!

by Anonymousreply 263May 28, 2021 12:33 AM

I would say that a so-called vegan Caesar salad is simply not a Caesar salad—so why call it one?

How do you make this faux Caesar?

by Anonymousreply 264May 28, 2021 12:35 AM

Like saying vegan Hollandaise.

That bitch ain't Hollandaise.

by Anonymousreply 265May 28, 2021 12:38 AM

By now, I'm a little in love with Greg.

by Anonymousreply 266May 28, 2021 1:14 AM

r260,

[quote]How do you make your ribs?

My wife is the meat eater. She cooked them today in the oven and will grill them tomorrow. I don't know the details of what she does though.

[quote]How do you make this faux Caesar?

I'm the only vegan so I bought a vegan Caesar salad kit from Trader Joe's

[quote]No vodka or tequila?

I think one person will drink whiskey and/or scotch. The remaining that drink will drink red or white wine. I will mix a small amount of gin with La Croix and suck those down.

We do have vodka and tequila, but I don't think anyone will want it. We stopped at Costco on the way home from Palm Springs and loaded up on hard alcohol - it's cheap in CA!!! If we had been in a fender bender the car just may have blown sky high..

by Anonymousreply 267May 28, 2021 1:24 AM

What's loin of cod? Do cod have loins?

by Anonymousreply 268May 28, 2021 1:24 AM

[quote] By now, I'm a little in love with Greg.

Mwah!

by Anonymousreply 269May 28, 2021 1:33 AM

R268, I recently saw a sign on a freezer case at Grocery Outlet advertising "Cod Lion".

by Anonymousreply 270May 28, 2021 1:35 AM

Cod loin is cut from the middle section or fattest part of the fillet. Succulent loins are short and fat compared to longer cod fillets and they are considered the prime cut. Think of a nice restaurant portion of cod—square and quite thick, not tapering off, therefore it cooks evenly and doesn't fall apart. It is nicer even than the so-called "Captain's Cut" that you often see in fish markets.

by Anonymousreply 271May 28, 2021 2:23 AM

Cod Loins are the Fillet Mignon prime cut of a cod fish. Cod tends to be a large fish and the fillet is often too big for a single portion. ... The pearly white loins are the thickest part of the fillet, and it offers the most moist and succulent texture that gets flaky after being baked.

by Anonymousreply 272May 28, 2021 2:25 AM

I want an invitation to one of your parties!

by Anonymousreply 273May 28, 2021 2:40 AM

Cripes. So many Frauen here. We're all choking on the 15 clashing perfumes, colognes and toilet waters the main posters on their thread have marinated into their seldom-cleaned polyester "hugger" pants.

by Anonymousreply 274May 28, 2021 2:49 AM

R254/Greg: I'm not bothered, just amused. And possibly biased because I hate green beans no matter what they're called, but I still know pretension when I see it.

by Anonymousreply 275May 28, 2021 3:08 AM

How come Greg doesn't call himself "Gregory"? Or even "Gregoire"?

by Anonymousreply 276May 28, 2021 3:11 AM

[quote] How come Greg doesn't call himself "Gregory"? Or even "Gregoire"?

Because his full first name is "Greg."

by Anonymousreply 277May 28, 2021 3:13 AM

Not "Gregg"?

by Anonymousreply 278May 28, 2021 3:14 AM

No, just "Greg."

by Anonymousreply 279May 28, 2021 3:15 AM

Cindy, how did you escape the trend of replacing your "y" with an "i"? I respect you for doing so, there are so few like you.

by Anonymousreply 280May 28, 2021 3:19 AM

[quote] [R254]/Greg: I'm not bothered, just amused. And possibly biased because I hate green beans no matter what they're called, but I still know pretension when I see it.

I have no trouble believing that you are well acquainted with pretension.

Haricots verts (or tender young baby green beans if your prefer), are so delicious. You've never had them, I'm guessing.

by Anonymousreply 281May 28, 2021 4:13 AM

Lizzie-Lez-Lez, despite being a vegan, you're my kind of lesbian. I have a good friend who feels as though she is a gay male in a gay female body. She likes dogs (not cats), loves proper dinner parties (not potlucks), likes coffee (not herbal tea), and enjoys a good steak & a gin martini (not kale soup and tofu & black beans enchiladas).

by Anonymousreply 282May 28, 2021 4:43 AM

Greg, don’t you think it’s a bit rude to invite only vaccinated friends? Why not invite an as-yet-unvaccinated slob to test everyone’s immunity?

by Anonymousreply 283May 28, 2021 4:46 AM

I can't think of any friends who are not fully vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 284May 28, 2021 4:53 AM

R281, of course I've eaten haricots verts -- how else would I know that I hate them? All green beans are foul!

by Anonymousreply 285May 28, 2021 11:54 AM

the fact that you can't call a spade by a spade makes me laugh. There's this weird mix of 50% French pretentious language and 50% disgusting and bullshit American 'farmer's market creamed corn' shit. Lol.

by Anonymousreply 286May 28, 2021 1:20 PM

[quote] the fact that you can't call a spade by a spade makes me laugh. There's this weird mix of 50% French pretentious language and 50% disgusting and bullshit American 'farmer's market creamed corn' shit. Lol.

Hmmmm....not sure what you mean. French pretentious language? So, gougeres should be called something else? Haricots verts should be called something else? Demi-glace should be called something else? Please advise. I suppose you'd be less critical if I said cheese puffs, green beans, and gravy? The thing is, I'm calling these items what they're called. Oh, I guess baguette should be on the pretentious list as well.

Good thing I'm not serving pâté de foie gras. Or steak au poivre. Or beurre blanc. Or boeuf bourguignon. Or brioche.

Out of curiosity, does your limited world view extend to countries other than France? You must really dislike food from Mexico, Italy, and China. Too bad.

You sound really nice. Thanks for coming.

by Anonymousreply 287May 28, 2021 11:09 PM

When I have people over, it will be for a Thai steak salad or Ina's cross between carbonara and pasta primavera. One big dish, crusty bread and a dessert I buy somewhere is all the work I want to put into a meal. The more things I have to get ready at the same time, the more pressured I feel.

by Anonymousreply 288May 29, 2021 4:45 AM

I had a dream tonight someone wanted me to make hundreds of gougeres, something I hadn't thought of in decades before reading this thread the other day. If I didn't make them for him, he wasn't going to tell me where his brother lives. Only the guy I wanted to find isn't actually the guy who wanted the gougeres' brother. They don't even know each other IRL. Dream logic.

Thanks, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 289May 29, 2021 5:03 AM

R286 Yeah, 'Greg', haricots verts are green beans. Demi-glace is gravy. Baguette is bread.. French bread if you like. I mean, you said it yourself. You already know what the plain English for this stuff is. What's up with this 'sauteed' instead of 'fried' stuff? I wouldn't really care but you don't even do it well, you do it like 50/50 French and English which comes off like you're inauthentic and trying too hard.

by Anonymousreply 290May 29, 2021 1:46 PM

Haricots verts is simply French for green beans. Every kind of "green bean" is "haricots verts" if a French person is speaking. It does not refer only to the thin ones. The thin ones are "vert" in the sense that "vert" is also used to describe young and fresh - and the thin ones are green beans that are picked early. The French like them that way, but they eat fully mature green beans as well.

"Greg" is a performance.

Haricot verts are not fancy. They are green beans. Voila.

by Anonymousreply 291May 29, 2021 2:07 PM

The only reason 'Greg' uses all of this French is because the plain English makes it sound common. It's indeed the same thing though.

by Anonymousreply 292May 29, 2021 2:12 PM

Same reason why 'Greg' specified 'farmer's market' for his creamed corn even though multiple posters pointed out that you normally can't even get farmer's market corn at the moment. Farmer's market is a lame attempt to make it sound fancy when it's just basic corn.

by Anonymousreply 293May 29, 2021 2:16 PM

[quote] Yeah, 'Greg', haricots verts are green beans. Demi-glace is gravy. Baguette is bread.. French bread if you like. I mean, you said it yourself. You already know what the plain English for this stuff is. What's up with this 'sauteed' instead of 'fried' stuff? I wouldn't really care but you don't even do it well, you do it like 50/50 French and English which comes off like you're inauthentic and trying too hard.

In the United States, haricots verts refers to small, tender baby green beans. Walk into any Whole Foods and you'll find haricots verts in one bin and green beans in another. Demi-glace is not gravy. Gravy is made with pan drippings and a thickener like flour or cornstarch. Demi-glace is made by browning bones in the oven and then barely simmering them with aromatics for about 12 hours, resulting in a rich stock, after which is is strained and chilled. Then the risen fat on the stock is removed. The stock is then turned into Demi-glace by more reduction and some wine and herbs, after which the whole thing is strained through cheesecloth. So, demi-glace is most definitely not gravy. If you think of what you have with pot roast or roast turkey—THAT is gravy. Pan drippings into which flour and water are added. Gravy is something done at the last minute while the meat is resting. Demi-glace is altogether different and no thickeners are ever used. It is dark and almost syrupy, not creamy like gravy. There are many types of bread. A baguette is a specific type.

Sauteing and frying are two very different methods of cooking. Sauteing is to cook something in a small quantity of fat (no more than 2 tablespoons). And it's done gently. Pan-frying, a.k.a. shallow-frying, calls for filling a skillet to a certain depth (generally around 1/3 full) with oil heated to a specific temperature—often between 325°F and 400°F. For example, when you fry chicken in a pan with oil that comes halfway up the sides of the pieces, then turning them partway through cooking, then you’re pan-frying.'

You are simply ignorant and don't know much about food or cooking.

by Anonymousreply 294May 29, 2021 5:41 PM

PS: To make just 2 cups of authentic Demi-glace, you start with 12 pounds of bones. Yes, 12 pounds. The roasting, followed by barely simmering (a lazy bubble), straining, reducing, result in something sublime. But not gravy.

by Anonymousreply 295May 29, 2021 5:43 PM

[quote] The only reason 'Greg' uses all of this French is because the plain English makes it sound common. It's indeed the same thing though.

Ah, no dumb person, it is indeed not the same at all.

And why are people putting my name in quotation marks?

by Anonymousreply 296May 29, 2021 5:45 PM

[quote] Haricot verts are not fancy. They are green beans. Voila.

I never recall saying they are "fancy" (so funny). But they are a particular type of green beans.

They must not serve them a Applebee's or Olive Garden. Some of you should save your pennies and get out a bit more.

by Anonymousreply 297May 29, 2021 5:48 PM

Greg, will you be making the demi glace? Sounds involved and I wouldn't blame you if you purchased it already made.

Yes, sautéeing is not the same as frying.

Haricot verts? Have never seen it in the store. I'd just look for small green beans.

by Anonymousreply 298May 29, 2021 5:57 PM

Greg is right, R290. You get gravy at KFC. not at an upscale restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 299May 29, 2021 5:59 PM

I see them in little bags like this at Whole Foods. They also sell frozen haricot verts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300May 29, 2021 6:00 PM

[quote} Greg, will you be making the demi glace? Sounds involved and I wouldn't blame you if you purchased it already made.Haricot verts? Have never seen it in the store. I'd just look for small green beans.

I've never seen demi-glace in a store. It takes a few days to do it properly, but a little goes a long way. And it's not labor intensive—most of it happens unattended. So, yes, I always make it and then freeze it in plastic ice cube trays. Two or three ice cube sized portions of Demi-glace can then get turned into a lovely sauce. When I make roast chicken, I just put a few cubes of it in a saucepan, add a good splash of wine, some fresh thyme, a clove of crushed garlic, some parsley stems, and maybe some mushroom stems if I have any. Then I simmer if (oh, sorry, I bet R290 would say, "What's with 'simmer' — you're boiling it) for about 20 minutes or so, strain it in a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, put it back in the saucepan (that's a 'pot' R290), add a knob of butter to further enrich it and then serve it with my chicken.

Certain stores carry haricots verts, like Whole Foods or any good green grocer.

by Anonymousreply 301May 29, 2021 6:10 PM

French green beans (also called Haricots Verts) are slightly longer and skinnier than regular green beans and may be a little bit more expensive. They are harvested earlier then regular green beans, so they are thought to be more tender and more flavorful. You can find them in good grocery stores as well, just look for the label “french green beans” or “haricots verts.” Many nicer restaurants use French green beans instead of regular green beans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302May 29, 2021 6:17 PM

Gravy is simply meat juices thickened with flour in a sort of one-step roux mixture. It is easy for anyone to make quickly without much chance of failure. Demi glace is a careful reduction with carrots, onion, celery, herbs and often other minor ingredients (such as being deglazed with white wine). The mixture is simmered slowly for many hours — sometimes as much as 2 days with sieving and replenishing of the aromatic ingredients. The mixture needs to be skimmed during this process to remove scum on the top, too. Comparing gravy to demi glace is about like comparing a skateboard to a Ferrari.

by Anonymousreply 303May 29, 2021 6:19 PM

Read this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304May 29, 2021 6:20 PM

Thanks, BostonPete. This just proves what I've long known, those with the most vociferous opinions are typically also the most ill informed.

I find it very amusing. People are very class conscious, aren't they?

by Anonymousreply 305May 29, 2021 6:26 PM

Greg is absolutely correct. I want to be his boyfriend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306May 29, 2021 7:04 PM

Could you be any more pretentious, OP?

by Anonymousreply 307May 29, 2021 7:55 PM

Greg, I think you are an interesting fellow. Your friends are lucky to have you, as you are thoughtful and take special care when you entertain them.

I see you as someone who appreciates elegance, but who isn't fastidious about it.

Carry on with your gracious ways!

by Anonymousreply 308May 29, 2021 7:56 PM

Greg, I bet you're thinking now....this dinner party can't come along fast enough to get rid of the plebs commenting on what is a fabulous menu. I'm worn out reading all this crap!!

by Anonymousreply 309May 29, 2021 7:57 PM

R297 "Greg" yeah try again. I live in Genève and Cairo with a summer place in Antibes and winter in Zermatt.

by Anonymousreply 310May 29, 2021 8:04 PM

You just know "Greg" goes into the local Outback Steakhouse, orders "Steak Frites", and is HORRIFIED and APPALLED by what Outback serves as "frites". I love this "Greg" character and we mustn't get too too snarky or he'll shut it down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311May 29, 2021 8:10 PM

Remember to take the thawed Sara Lee cake out of the tray before you serve it.

by Anonymousreply 312May 29, 2021 8:59 PM

May as well get a Viennetta as well. (It's back, you know.)

by Anonymousreply 313May 29, 2021 9:03 PM

Some people enjoy cooking because it teaches them about different cultures, foods and techniques and the science behind them as well as allowing them to make something delicious at home. They also enjoy learning and do not feel threatened when they discover something new because it's not meant to insult them. It doesn't threaten their world view because they know there's more to the world than their little corner of it. if you find haricot vert pretentious, imagine what life is like beyond your red state, small town or subdivision. On the other hand, you have provided an excellent explanation of why Food Network started out as a show about cooking technique and is now about eating massive amounts of burgers and fries.

I'm not trying to fight with the naysayers but just explain that there is another way to be. It's not pretentious to use words that aren't English or borrow cooking techniques from other countries. I think Greg wanted to be admired for the creativity and work he is putting in on this dinner but that's not pretension. That's pride in his achievement. We all have that. We all do something really good every day that our boss or whoever has no interest in. Why not crow about it?

Tell us how the dinner went.

by Anonymousreply 314May 29, 2021 9:37 PM

What a nice post, R314. There are many nice, generous, civilized people on here who can look beyond themselves and their circumstances without feeling threatened by others who are different. Thank goodness. And then there are others who feel the need to label people and criticize what they themselves don't value. This is a narrow-minded and parochial world view. We have ample evidence that there are many people in our country who aren't interested in diversity and who don't want to be exposed to other experiences. As you say, they aren't willing to open themselves up to new ideas, experiences, and the interests of others. It's very sad and limiting.

My feelings aren't at all hurt. I have found so many of these comments pathetic but amusing. It also makes me grateful that I live in a progressive and liberal area where people tend to value others and things that are different from themselves.

I wish I could post photos of this dinner and my friends and me having a good time and toasting the Datalounge community.

by Anonymousreply 315May 29, 2021 10:47 PM

[quote] Remember to take the thawed Sara Lee cake out of the tray before you serve it.

I don't understand the point of this comment. I'm not serving a Sara Lee cake. You have a peculiar sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 316May 29, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote] You just know "Greg" goes into the local Outback Steakhouse....

No, I can't say that I have ever been to an Outback Steakhouse. There aren't any in the city where I used to live. Nor is there one in the more country setting where I spend most of my time now.

by Anonymousreply 317May 29, 2021 10:50 PM

And you seem to have none, R316. R314 may be right that "pretentious" is the wrong word -- try "pompous" instead.

by Anonymousreply 318May 29, 2021 10:51 PM

[quote] "Greg" yeah try again. I live in Genève and Cairo with a summer place in Antibes and winter in Zermatt.

Frankly, I doubt it. But whatever you say. If you do spend time in these places, it's unfortunate that they haven't made you a more interesting and cosmopolitan person.

by Anonymousreply 319May 29, 2021 10:52 PM

Greg, our host

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320May 29, 2021 10:53 PM

Don't worry, R318, I have a wonderful sense of humor. I think others would agree.

by Anonymousreply 321May 29, 2021 10:53 PM

R308, thanks!

by Anonymousreply 322May 29, 2021 10:55 PM

[quote] Could you be any more pretentious, OP?

Yes, I am quite certain that I could. I'll give it a try when I report on my July Fourth party.

by Anonymousreply 323May 29, 2021 10:56 PM

Are dykes invited?

by Anonymousreply 324May 29, 2021 11:04 PM

[quote] [R314] may be right that "pretentious" is the wrong word -- try "pompous" instead.

Or maybe another "P" word: "patronizing".

by Anonymousreply 325May 29, 2021 11:10 PM

[quote] Or maybe another "P" word: "patronizing".

You'll have to provide an example. I don't believe I've been at all patronizing.

How about 'punctilious'?

by Anonymousreply 326May 29, 2021 11:20 PM

[quote] Are dykes invited?

Dykes in general? Or specific dykes?

I have dyke friends, but this dinner is all boys.

I call two of my good dyke friends, the Fidelity Lesbians. They are Fidelity executives and are really not dykes.

by Anonymousreply 327May 29, 2021 11:22 PM

Okay, have to step away and make some dinner (and a martini).

by Anonymousreply 328May 29, 2021 11:43 PM

{quote]I call two of my good dyke friends, the Fidelity Lesbians. They are Fidelity executives and are really not dykes.

By chance do either of them have the last name of Johnson? Either way, I would love to invite them to a bbq to discuss the market and investing in general. They probably wouldn't like my index fund investing strategies on a professional level.

by Anonymousreply 329May 30, 2021 12:20 AM

R329, no. What city are you in?

by Anonymousreply 330May 30, 2021 12:26 AM

r330, Portland, OR. I used to live in Boston and worked at Mass General, right next to Fido, if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 331May 30, 2021 4:00 AM

R331, my friends at Fidelity work in Boston, but Johnson is not right.

by Anonymousreply 332May 30, 2021 11:43 AM

I was hoping one of them was Abigail, Greg.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333May 30, 2021 1:34 PM

R333, No, I'm afraid I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 334May 30, 2021 2:29 PM

Good afternoon, everyone. It's cold and rainy here. Happy Memorial Day Weekend.

by Anonymousreply 335May 30, 2021 4:05 PM

What will you eat today, Greg?

by Anonymousreply 336May 30, 2021 5:47 PM

Hi, R336. Not sure. I'm on a low carb/sugar diet presently, which is not fun. So for breakfast I had 2 pancakes that I made with almond flour and stevia. I had sugar-free low calorie maple syrup with them. And I had two slices of bacon and one fried egg.

For lunch I had some leftover roast chicken and a salad.

For dinner, I'm not sure. Maybe a pork chop (reverse sear method), some cauliflower puree, and some green beans.

What about you?

by Anonymousreply 337May 30, 2021 6:23 PM

I could have had bacon and eggs, Greg @ r337, but instead I opted for Ben & Jerry's Topped Tiramisu flavor. For lunch or dinner, I'm going to make meatloaf according to Frank Bruni's mother Leslie's recipe, and serve that with mashed potatoes and haricots verts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338May 30, 2021 6:27 PM

N.B. to r338, there is a mistake: two pans are called for in this recipe. I use the 9" x 13" Pyrex baking dish, not the 9" by 5" loaf pan.

by Anonymousreply 339May 30, 2021 6:30 PM

R338, that sounds really good. Just about twenty minutes ago I was thinking that today would be a great day for meatloaf since it's so rainy and raw outside. I love meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and haricots verts. Total comfort food. Plus, meatloaf sandwiches with mayonnaise are so delicious. Cooks Illustrated has a really good meatloaf recipe. And Martha Stewart's mother's meatloaf recipe is also quite nice.

by Anonymousreply 340May 30, 2021 6:34 PM

Here's Cooks Illustrated recipe. It's really good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341May 30, 2021 6:41 PM

And here is Martha's mother's meatloaf recipe. It's very good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342May 30, 2021 6:44 PM

R338, how was that ice cream? I've not tried their "Topped" ice cream flavors yet. But that looks delicious. Let us know if you liked it.

by Anonymousreply 343May 30, 2021 6:49 PM

It sounds fine and your guests should enjoy it, I'm sure. A nice meal for me these days is grilled chicken, a big salad, bread, some wine, and afterwards a long nap. The older I get the lazier I get about making meals. I'm not a gourmet by any means but I can appreciate a lovely sounding meal. One of my exes worked in the food industry and for a few years I ate quite well. Cooking has never been my strong suit and I've always had a sweet tooth. I chase too many meals with chocolate.

by Anonymousreply 344May 30, 2021 7:00 PM

Dear Greg, I have become an addict of the Topped flavors r343. My favorites are Salted Caramel Brownie and Tiramisu. I've also tried, and liked Strawberry Tart and the Mint flavor (I don't remember the exact name). Peanut Butter and Jelly does not call my name.

I have not made Big Martha's meatloaf, r342. Pureeing an onion and adding it raw, even with other ingredients in the mix, just doesn't appeal to me. I might try Chris Kimball's recipe sometime, as he cooks his onions and garlic—an absolute necessity for me.

If you make the Leslie Bruni meatloaf, saute your onions first, so they can cool while you're doing everything else. I'm letting mine cool right now, and then I'm going to mix everything else together.

by Anonymousreply 345May 30, 2021 7:09 PM

Dear R345. I agree about the importance of sautéing onions before adding them to a meatloaf. With Big Martha's, because they are put in the food processor, you never get that feeling of raw pieces of onion in the meatloaf. You could sauté them I suppose. The onions, celery, and carrots all processed, makes for a very moist meatloaf. You might want to give it a try sometime.

As soon as I get off this diet, I will try those Topped flavors of B&J.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 346May 30, 2021 7:18 PM

[quote] A nice meal for me these days is grilled chicken, a big salad, bread, some wine, and afterwards a long nap.

Sounds perfect!

by Anonymousreply 347May 30, 2021 7:19 PM

Is this a blog?

by Anonymousreply 348May 30, 2021 8:34 PM

[quote] s this a blog?

No, DataLounge is an internet forum where people share news, opinions, gossip, personal histories, and political views from a gay and lesbian perspective.

by Anonymousreply 349May 30, 2021 8:57 PM

Where is everyone today?

by Anonymousreply 350May 30, 2021 9:42 PM

I'm guessing behind the paywall.

by Anonymousreply 351May 30, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote] I'm guessing behind the paywall.

What is the paywall?

by Anonymousreply 352May 30, 2021 9:46 PM

Sometimes, Greg, Muriel doesn't allow anyone to post except subscribers, i.e., those who pay $1.99/mo. or $20/year. It happens a lot, and is quite noticeable, as most posters are not subscribers.

by Anonymousreply 353May 30, 2021 9:48 PM

Oh. I am a subscriber. Thanks for filling me in.

by Anonymousreply 354May 30, 2021 9:54 PM

It's open to post at the moment. I suspect a lot of people are away from the internet and enjoying the holiday weekend.

by Anonymousreply 355May 30, 2021 11:00 PM

You're probably right. The weather here is not nice at all.

by Anonymousreply 356May 30, 2021 11:02 PM

I dread OP's menu. I can just picture someone I am newly dating, dragging me to a dinner at fussy OP's house and then be presented with this aggressive menu. I am a picky eater, that's my problem, not the OP's. With a meal like this you feel an obligation to delight and praise, which will take a lot of acting and a lot of wine. I do not know how I would attempt loin of Cod. In those circumstances if I can't gag it down, I will cut it into really small pieces like anorexics do and push it to various sides of the plate. I then jump up to volunteer to clear the table.

by Anonymousreply 357May 30, 2021 11:10 PM

R357, I never allow my guests to help clear the table. It kills the mood—once one person gets up, others feel obligated to do so. Tell me what is so aggressive about this menu? There's nothing unusual being served. It comes down to your not liking fish, I guess. That's the beauty of the demi-glace. It really works well with the cod. Sometimes you just have to eat something that's been cooked well to discover that it's not that bad.

One of my favorite things to serve in fall and winter is loin of venison (sometimes rack of venison). I'm sure that it's off putting to some, but once you eat it, you will want more. Farm raised venison is actually less gamey than beef. It's incredibly lean and you can eat every bit of it—not a bit of fat or gristle.

by Anonymousreply 358May 30, 2021 11:19 PM

Don't worry, R357 -- Greg says that he only invited long-time close friends to this dinner so you won't be included. Neither will I, thank goodness.

by Anonymousreply 359May 31, 2021 1:05 AM

R359, you'd love to be invited to one of my parties. You would be treated like family.

by Anonymousreply 360May 31, 2021 1:10 AM

I want to go to Greg's. I want to be one of his friends.

by Anonymousreply 361May 31, 2021 2:59 AM

Personally I like casual elegance, but we do typically eat with sterling and linen napkins on a daily basis. For just two of us washing up is no trouble, and if you use the sterling regularity it doesn’t tarnish much.

by Anonymousreply 362May 31, 2021 3:05 PM

[quote] I want to go to Greg's. I want to be one of his friends.

Finally, someone who's making sense.

Where do you live, R361?

by Anonymousreply 363May 31, 2021 8:59 PM

Greg! You must tell me your favorite Operas! Are you more of a Verdi fan or a stout Wagner?

by Anonymousreply 364May 31, 2021 11:17 PM

Lovely. And at what point does the communal fisting begin?

by Anonymousreply 365May 31, 2021 11:25 PM

Also Greg, where is your latest Pied-à-Terre located?

by Anonymousreply 366May 31, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote] Greg! You must tell me your favorite Operas! Are you more of a Verdi fan or a stout Wagner?

I've been a subscriber to the Boston Lyric Opera for years. I can't say that I am in any way an opera expert and my taste is pretty basic. I love anything by Puccini but I also like Verdi. I'm not really a Wagner person.

by Anonymousreply 367June 1, 2021 1:29 AM

[quote] And at what point does the communal fisting begin?

At what point during what? My dinner? If that's what you're asking, it's a stupid question.

In between dessert and postprandials.

by Anonymousreply 368June 1, 2021 1:33 AM

[quote] Also Greg, where is your latest Pied-à-Terre located?

My pied-à-terre is in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston.

by Anonymousreply 369June 1, 2021 1:35 AM

Why is OP cheaping out by making a demi-glace?

Truly beloved guests deserve a grande-glace, and he knows it.

by Anonymousreply 370June 1, 2021 4:51 AM

[quote] Why is OP cheaping out by making a demi-glace?

I prefer a cheap Demi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371June 1, 2021 5:19 AM

Greg, darling, will you be wearing a jockstrap and buttplug under the shorts? Perhaps reconsider sporting a caftan instead, for a more restrained line.

You seem to be the quintessence of prissy faggotry, one that has mostly gone the way of the cravat, dickey and duck a l’orange.

by Anonymousreply 372June 1, 2021 5:37 AM

[quote] My pied-à-terre is in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston

Since this is your pied-à-terre, where do you live the rest of the year?

by Anonymousreply 373June 1, 2021 6:21 AM

Might that be a simmering boulebais of self-loathing, R372? Your post did seem unnecessarily rude and aggressive without the defense even of being humorous or witty.

by Anonymousreply 374June 1, 2021 12:25 PM

[quote] Greg, darling, will you be wearing a jockstrap and buttplug under the shorts? Perhaps reconsider sporting a caftan instead, for a more restrained line. You seem to be the quintessence of prissy faggotry, one that has mostly gone the way of the cravat, dickey and duck a l’orange.

Thank you for the compliment. You're so creative.

by Anonymousreply 375June 1, 2021 12:47 PM

[quote] Since this is your pied-à-terre, where do you live the rest of the year?

In a more rural setting.

by Anonymousreply 376June 1, 2021 3:16 PM

A rural setting? Easttown, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 377June 1, 2021 5:01 PM

[quote] Easttown, perhaps?

Do you mean Easton?

by Anonymousreply 378June 1, 2021 5:04 PM

Greg, stop asking where we live as if you're going to invite us! I'm sure the last thing you want is a bunch of rabid DLers on your doorstep wanting free meals. But it's a nice fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 379June 1, 2021 5:32 PM

[quote] Greg, stop asking where we live

I was the one being asked where I live.

by Anonymousreply 380June 1, 2021 6:00 PM

Greg, what is your cookware of choice?

by Anonymousreply 381June 1, 2021 6:52 PM

[quote] Greg, what is your cookware of choice?

I tend to cook with All-Clad Stainless Cookware. I also have a few cast iron skillets that I like to use for certain things, like searing a steak or pork chops. And I love my Le Creuset Dutch oven.

by Anonymousreply 382June 1, 2021 8:07 PM

Greg, what type of liquor do you stock at home?

by Anonymousreply 383June 1, 2021 10:56 PM

Greg, once all this Covid quarantine nightmare is over you need to get your perky arse on a plane and come down to Melbourne to pick up some more Le Creuset from Prue and Trude at Happy Homewares.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384June 1, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote] Greg, what type of liquor do you stock at home?

Bombay (regular not Sapphire) or Beefeater Gin Svedka Vodka (for mixing); Ketel One (for vodka "martinis") Johnny Walker Black Scotch Old Overholt Rye Bulleit Bourbon Olmeca Altos Plata Tequila Mount Gay Rum

by Anonymousreply 385June 2, 2021 12:41 AM

Greg may know how to cook (or at least how to talk about cooking) but he doesn't know how to create a list on DL. Hint: an alternative method to formatting correctly would be to use a semi-colon after each item on the list.

by Anonymousreply 386June 2, 2021 12:53 AM

^ pedantic are we??

by Anonymousreply 387June 2, 2021 2:15 AM

And proud of it, R387!

by Anonymousreply 388June 2, 2021 2:22 AM

Bombay (regular not Sapphire) or Beefeater Gin

Svedka Vodka (for mixing)

Ketel One (for vodka "martinis")

Johnny Walker Black Scotch

Old Overholt Rye

Bulleit Bourbon

Olmeca Altos Plata Tequila

Mount Gay Rum

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389June 2, 2021 3:33 AM

r376

It was a MARE OF EASTTOWN reference, you wizened, fussy twit.

by Anonymousreply 390June 2, 2021 3:48 AM

Op I like your menu

by Anonymousreply 391June 2, 2021 3:54 AM

[quote] It was a MARE OF EASTTOWN reference, you wizened, fussy twit.

Sorry. We don't all watch HBO. You're angry. Feel better.

by Anonymousreply 392June 2, 2021 3:56 AM

Thanks, Bodega-cat.

What's with R390? So dramatic.

by Anonymousreply 393June 2, 2021 3:58 AM

It all sounds delicious, but I wouldn't serve fish for two courses. Swap out the smoked salmon for something lighter.

by Anonymousreply 394June 2, 2021 4:27 AM

Would love to have some Pavlova. Haven't eaten any in years.

by Anonymousreply 395June 2, 2021 4:38 AM

Farmers Market corn = douchey and déclassé simultaneously.

by Anonymousreply 396June 2, 2021 5:29 AM

Will there be amuse bouches? Finger bowls? Fruit ice palate cleansers? Poppers?

by Anonymousreply 397June 2, 2021 5:37 AM

People want a BBQ! Some potato salad and chops. A nice sirloin or prime rib burger - you can buy them frozen. Don't forget the fixens and a carrot cake AND a fruit pie for desert. That's good eating. No paper plates though. This is a sit down dinner party. Just serve icy white wine, imported beers and colourful coolers.

No chocolate or salmon. It's summer. Start with some egg salad on crackers, a bit of sweet relish on top. And one other appetizer of your choosing. Nothing heated! A little ceviche with olives. Cold.

Enjoy! No raisins or skins in the potato salad!!

by Anonymousreply 398June 2, 2021 5:44 AM

[quote] It all sounds delicious, but I wouldn't serve fish for two courses. Swap out the smoked salmon for something lighter.

Not to be fussy, but the smoked salmon is not really a course. It's an hors d'oeuvre and the smoked salmon canapés are the size of a half dollar and wouldn't be considered heavy. But I see your point.

by Anonymousreply 399June 2, 2021 1:07 PM

[quote] Will there be amuse bouches? Finger bowls? Fruit ice palate cleansers? Poppers?

An amuse bouche is served in restaurants typically as part of the meal. I am not doing that at home. I will have a couple of light hors d'oeuvres with drinks beforehand.

Finger bowls? Ah, no.

Fruit ice palate cleanser? No. (Did you even read my menu?) At Thanksgiving, however, I did make a homemade cranberry and thyme sorbet and I served that as a palate cleanser between the turkey and pie.

Poppers? I assume you mean something akin to the festive Christmas crackers that are table decorations that make a snapping sound when pulled open, and often contain a small gift and a joke, typically used in the UK? No.

by Anonymousreply 400June 2, 2021 1:15 PM

Forse servirò il pollo alla mia prossima cena.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401June 2, 2021 4:21 PM

Mi piace molto il pollo, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 402June 2, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote] Mi piace molto il pollo, Greg.

Anch'io. Tutti dovrebbero sapere come arrostire un pollo come parte del loro repertorio.

by Anonymousreply 403June 2, 2021 6:02 PM

I think there's a place for steak and potato salad and, in fact, I had that at home over Memorial Day weekend. Let Greg be Greg. Let farmer's market corn be farmer's market corn. It shows you the trouble he went to so he could get the freshest produce for his guests. If this doesn't appeal to you, that's fine. I'm sure Greg doesn't mind.

Greg, do your friends reciprocate by throwing you elegant dinner parties? Do they reciprocate in other ways? Or doesn't that matter?

by Anonymousreply 404June 2, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote] I think there's a place for steak and potato salad and, in fact, I had that at home over Memorial Day weekend. Let Greg be Greg. Let farmer's market corn be farmer's market corn. It shows you the trouble he went to so he could get the freshest produce for his guests. If this doesn't appeal to you, that's fine. I'm sure Greg doesn't mind. Greg, do your friends reciprocate by throwing you elegant dinner parties? Do they reciprocate in other ways? Or doesn't that matter?

I love a good steak and potato salad or baked potato.

As a few people pointed out, there is no farmers market corn this early. I said that without thinking. I will get ears of corn from the supermarket.

Some of my friends have dinner parties that are lovely. Some do not but instead will host cocktails and then we'll go out to a restaurant.

To be honest, I don't think of this as a big, elegant party. I can make all this food pretty easily and always try to keep things relaxed and casual. It's just that I like to cook and I also love being able to set a nice table (not tablescapes!) and I have nice glassware for cocktails and nice linens for both cocktail hour and the table. I never want things to appear fussy. But I love imaging the evening from start to finish and am conscious of lighting and music.

by Anonymousreply 405June 2, 2021 9:39 PM

Greg, Arrosto il pollo come Marcella Hazan, con due limoni, oppure sopra cippole e carotti, e a volte finocchi (per Ina Garten). I contorni sono patate e una verdura verde.

by Anonymousreply 406June 2, 2021 9:46 PM

R406: Adoro Ina's Engagement Chicken e quando lo preparo includo sempre il finocchio con le patate arrosto.

by Anonymousreply 407June 2, 2021 9:55 PM

R406: A volte mi piace fare il semplice pollo arrosto di Thomas Keller. È solo pollo con sale e pepe. Non usa nemmeno olio o burro perché dice che impedisce alla pelle di diventare croccante. A volte semplice è il migliore.

by Anonymousreply 408June 2, 2021 9:58 PM

My party is in just a few days. Wish I could post photos on here to share with all of you.

by Anonymousreply 409June 2, 2021 10:02 PM

Well, you could post the food, Greg!

by Anonymousreply 410June 2, 2021 10:06 PM

Pictures or it didn't happen!

by Anonymousreply 411June 2, 2021 10:25 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412June 2, 2021 10:48 PM

[quote] Well, you could post the food, Greg!

That's what I mean. How do you post photos on here?

by Anonymousreply 413June 2, 2021 11:17 PM

[quote] How do you post photos on here?

R413, some people have used imgur:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414June 3, 2021 12:50 AM

ImgBB is easy to use, and is one of the few image sites that currently work (properly) with DL's Link Preview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415June 3, 2021 12:54 AM

What if one of your guests do not like fish? That is a very fishy menu.

by Anonymousreply 416June 3, 2021 4:26 AM

Stinky fishy menu. Pork chops and great burgers on the BBQ with homemade potato salad, carrot cake and fruit pie are the trick. Some simple, cold and delicious hand held apps. Fatty on a cracker. Fish and shellfish are never as good as you think they are. How many ways can you fuck a scallop? Did your mom mix crab with mayo? Old white gays are so predictable. Imagine this kind old bitch man proclaiming that he's casual - but then going on about his "linens" for different courses. Named Greg. This is a joke right?

I love fine dining. In a restaurant. When I go to a dinner party, be fancy with one app or the main course OR the desert. Not everything. For fuck sakes make it simple and fun. And filling. With way less salmon. Linens and nice glassware are permitted. That's pretty. But make it comfortable and tasty. Make people pick up something other than gross corn. Let them chew on a bone or have fatburger juice dripping down their chins. You're welcome OP. Grag?

by Anonymousreply 417June 3, 2021 5:11 AM

You send us each a Polaroid, Greg...

by Anonymousreply 418June 3, 2021 5:36 AM

Remember the addition of “froth” topping everything?

by Anonymousreply 419June 3, 2021 5:52 AM

Yes, Greg, please post photos of your dishes! I find your menu so inspiring, I'd love to see how it all turns out at service. From everything you described, it sounds like heaven.

by Anonymousreply 420June 3, 2021 6:55 AM

R417, you are very unkind. Hope you are soon feeling better.

by Anonymousreply 421June 4, 2021 8:15 PM

I’m saddened that there isn’t ass on the menu.

by Anonymousreply 422June 5, 2021 5:46 AM

I think we live in a crazy world where Elan Musk and Jeff Bezos make millions while they sleep and the rest of us fight over crumbs. The common denominator between the right and the left is the perception that someone is getting something they don't deserve and that life would be great but for people on the other side. In a sane country with health insurance, a low infant mortality rate, and a welfare net, restitution would be a no-brainer. But it isn't and we fight because that's what our overlords want us to do.

by Anonymousreply 423June 5, 2021 6:03 AM

Wrong thread. Sorry Greg. I thought I was posting in Tulsa. Whoa.

by Anonymousreply 424June 5, 2021 6:06 AM

r422 made me LOL

by Anonymousreply 425June 5, 2021 6:27 AM

After careful consideration, I am dumping my boyfriend to get out of this dreadful dinner at Greg's. It sounds like a night with the Boys in the Band, only fishier. Sorry Greg, the eye candy will not coming to satisfy everyone's sweet tooth.

by Anonymousreply 426June 5, 2021 7:26 AM

[quote] It sounds like a night with the Boys in the Band, only fishier.

Hardly "Boys in the Band."

Guess you don't ever entertain a group of gay friends.

by Anonymousreply 427June 6, 2021 9:18 PM

Did the dinner party happen yet? I can’t be bothered to read through the entire thread.

by Anonymousreply 428June 6, 2021 9:40 PM

Yes, we'd like a debrief--at least for those of us that appreciate the meal and want to know how it turned out. The rest of the naysayers can go heat and eat a Hot Pocket or something similar.

by Anonymousreply 429June 6, 2021 9:50 PM

Yes, it was last night and we had a great time. Everything went according to plan. Everyone ate everything and it was a really fun time. So much for the naysayers!

by Anonymousreply 430June 6, 2021 10:02 PM

Yes, because everyone enjoys salmon so much in hot weather.

by Anonymousreply 431June 6, 2021 10:03 PM

Apparently you didn't read the menu. The salmon was an hors d'oeuvre. Smoked salmon. Chilled. And, yes, they did enjoy it.

Tell us what is so unappealing about a bit of smoked salmon and some creme fraiche on a brioche toast round the size of a quarter.

And my place is fully air conditioned. You must be really unhappy with yourself.

by Anonymousreply 432June 6, 2021 10:06 PM

[quote]Guess you don't ever entertain a group of gay friends.

Dataloungers don't hang out with groups of gays. That's their worst nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 433June 6, 2021 10:08 PM

That's great, Greg.

I gave a few parties I remember with pride and contentment. Back when halibut was near-affordable, I loved to serve that with interesting sides. I liked entertaining when I was in my 30s and 40s. Don't have the energy, space or money now, but I am making high tea for a friend of mine who likes that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 434June 6, 2021 10:18 PM

OP, could you please post some photos? I'd love to see everything on your menu.

by Anonymousreply 435June 6, 2021 10:25 PM

So nice that you sent your guests home with homemade berry jam and madeleines. Not a single one of your dinner party friends is a vegetarian or pescatarian? I'd have left the pancetta and veal demi-glace on my plate and pled a stomach too full for the pavlova, as I've never met one not too sickeningly sweet. I might've exposed my lie by overindulging on the mignardises, though, since they can be wonderful. Could you describe the mignardises and the wine(s) you offered?

by Anonymousreply 436June 7, 2021 12:14 AM

Too heavy on the fish, and don’t pair fish with cheese, even as separate, adjoining courses.

by Anonymousreply 437June 7, 2021 12:19 AM

It reads like a menu from the Titanic. The only thing missing is peaches in chartreuse jelly.

by Anonymousreply 438June 7, 2021 2:34 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions. I am known as the entertainer in our little group and I truly enjoy it. Your suggestions definitely gave me pause, but these things always seem to turn out perfectly. I quite liked the sorbet pallet cleanse suggestion, though admittedly I initially bristled. I was able to whip up a lovely lemon ice right before the chilled salmon. I always like to end with a cheeky surprise. As giveaways, I made a summer douche of distilled Voss water and organic home grown mint.

by Anonymousreply 439June 7, 2021 5:27 AM

[quote]As giveaways, I made a summer douche of distilled Voss water and organic home grown mint.

Say what now?

by Anonymousreply 440June 7, 2021 11:01 AM

R39, come again?

Was this a thoughtful way of suggesting they clean their shitty assholes?

by Anonymousreply 441June 7, 2021 11:33 AM

Needless to say, R439 was not really me. Just an imposter.

by Anonymousreply 442June 7, 2021 12:46 PM

Also, is it just me or do people here not seem to know what smoked salmon is?

by Anonymousreply 443June 7, 2021 12:47 PM

people don't know fuck around here

by Anonymousreply 444June 7, 2021 12:48 PM

People here are addicted to and argue vociferously about fast food.

by Anonymousreply 445June 7, 2021 12:51 PM

Poor R443/Greg -- gradually realizing that slumming may not be as much fun as he expected?

by Anonymousreply 446June 7, 2021 7:52 PM

[quote] Poor [R443]/Greg -- gradually realizing that slumming may not be as much fun as he expected?

I've been reading Datalounge since the mid-nineties. I am well acquainted with slumming it.

by Anonymousreply 447June 8, 2021 6:33 PM

Well, then, Greg, you should not have to ask whether "people here" are familiar with smoked salmon (let alone haricots verts).

by Anonymousreply 448June 8, 2021 9:43 PM

Sneer with cheer insufferably.

by Anonymousreply 449June 8, 2021 9:45 PM

Chocolate-covered dingleberries were served with coffee.

by Anonymousreply 450June 9, 2021 4:58 AM

[quote] Chocolate-covered dingleberries were served with coffee.

This is further proof that not all gay men are sophisticated, intelligent, clever, and amusing. Like all of humanity, there are gay people who possess those qualities and there are gay people who are common and lowbrow.

by Anonymousreply 451June 9, 2021 2:36 PM

Which of those groups do you see yourself in, Greg? Let me guess..

by Anonymousreply 452June 9, 2021 5:36 PM

[quote] Which of those groups do you see yourself in, Greg? Let me guess..

No need to guess. Without question, I see myself in the former. And you?

by Anonymousreply 453June 9, 2021 6:11 PM

R452, what an incredibly stupid question. It's as though you think you're saying something clever, but you're really not. Do you really think you called Greg out because he is sophisticated, intelligent, and amusing? And are those bad qualities in your world? Do you see yourself as common and lowbrow? Maybe not, but you're certainly not clever.

by Anonymousreply 454June 9, 2021 6:14 PM

This is why we can't have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 455June 9, 2021 6:55 PM

Yes Greg, there is a subset on DL who enjoy middle school-level humor, starting with overuse of "present hole" and ending with "Anne L. Lingus, MD" and "chocolate covered dingleberries."

They are not so much unsophisticated as just what your grandmother would call "awkward" and as the many threads about antidepressants and antipsychotics on DL indicate, many have ongoing mental health issues to boot.

by Anonymousreply 456June 9, 2021 7:03 PM

And the rest of us love smoked salmon.

by Anonymousreply 457June 9, 2021 8:22 PM

SMOKED SALMON WRAPPED DINGLEBERRIES, if you please!

by Anonymousreply 458June 10, 2021 4:23 AM

laying it on thicker than double crème de la Gruyère sur les mûres sauvages

by Anonymousreply 459June 10, 2021 4:41 AM

I imagine Greg as the Clifton Webb/George Sanders/Franklin Pangborn character in the old Hollywood version of dinner parties.

by Anonymousreply 460June 10, 2021 5:17 AM

I'm sure that is the reference for this role-play. Here, at the level of summer stock in a B-list, never-grand, seaside resort colony, or a blue collar town somewhat adjacent to Lenox in the Berkshires.

by Anonymousreply 461June 10, 2021 9:35 AM

R460, that's exactly what I was thinking, especially Clifton Webb. As much as I love those actors and their characters, I know I'd hate to be around someone like that in real life. It's like cats -- they're great as beautiful amusing animals, but they'd make despicable people.

by Anonymousreply 462June 10, 2021 1:03 PM

Greg is just another exhausting DL queen with the same pretentious pretensions. I can't!

by Anonymousreply 463June 11, 2021 5:58 AM

R463, Greg denied being pretentious -- when "patronizing" was suggested as an alternative, he denied that too. Seems he doesn't like "P" words, but I can't help positing (!) "pompous" -- or maybe "phony"?

by Anonymousreply 464June 13, 2021 1:20 AM

^^But certainly not "penurious;" after all, he's got everyday silver!

by Anonymousreply 465June 13, 2021 1:30 AM

Pinguid

by Anonymousreply 466June 13, 2021 3:12 AM

POOPY. Greg and his culinary follies = POOPY

by Anonymousreply 467June 13, 2021 4:27 AM

Greg is so "de rigueur" (if I might borrow a word presumably from Greg's lexicon) of DL faux snobbery that he is so easy to mimic in terms of writing exactly like him. I know older queens like this in real life, often couples 50+, who are the ring leaders of a group of older gay men who typically hang out at the bars. They often plan everything. are the ring leaders, and are like the mean girls of the group. I get the raw mean girl bitchiness as twinks battling it out in the scene, but when older men do it with pretension, trying to weaponize manners as if they are the aristocrats of WeHo or Arenas in Palm Springs, it's a lot. I want to take myself less seriously as I age than more so. Maybe this is for the men that never had their hot moment in the sun or the men that refuse to pass the baton.

by Anonymousreply 468June 13, 2021 6:43 PM

[quote} Greg is so "de rigueur" (if I might borrow a word presumably from Greg's lexicon) of DL faux snobbery that he is so easy to mimic in terms of writing exactly like him. I know older queens like this in real life, often couples 50+, who are the ring leaders of a group of older gay men who typically hang out at the bars. They often plan everything. are the ring leaders, and are like the mean girls of the group. I get the raw mean girl bitchiness as twinks battling it out in the scene, but when older men do it with pretension, trying to weaponize manners as if they are the aristocrats of WeHo or Arenas in Palm Springs, it's a lot. I want to take myself less seriously as I age than more so. Maybe this is for the men that never had their hot moment in the sun or the men that refuse to pass the baton.

Wow! You sound like such a loser, R468.

by Anonymousreply 469June 15, 2021 5:22 PM

R463, I did offer an appropriate 'P' word —'punctilious'?

You may have to look it up.

by Anonymousreply 470June 16, 2021 6:58 PM

^ love it, well said Greg.

by Anonymousreply 471June 17, 2021 3:10 AM

[quote] love it, well said Greg.

Thank you, R471. I wear my punctiliousness as a badge of honor.

by Anonymousreply 472June 17, 2021 1:07 PM

Tony Randall as Felix Unger (initials F.U.) was the perfect punctilious pedant, yet somehow managed to remain amusing, even loveable. It's a trick not easily mastered.

by Anonymousreply 473June 17, 2021 5:26 PM

[quote]It's a trick not easily mastered.

As OP relentlessly demonstrates.

by Anonymousreply 474June 17, 2021 5:43 PM

I would love to be invited, Greg. I'd bring you flowers, basil and tomatoes straight from the garden.

I think r426 might be our crime stat anti-new yorker, FNY.

I'd be the guy in the nyc threads that lucked out on 70 degree weather at the beach om March 11th.

by Anonymousreply 475June 17, 2021 5:49 PM

[quote] As OP relentlessly demonstrates.

I can't stop laughing! But thank you. Persistence is one of my hallmarks.

by Anonymousreply 476June 17, 2021 6:17 PM

[quote] I would love to be invited, Greg. I'd bring you flowers, basil and tomatoes straight from the garden.

And I would love to invite you!

by Anonymousreply 477June 17, 2021 6:20 PM

Greg sucks! He's a male frau!

by Anonymousreply 478June 18, 2021 12:48 AM

[quote] Greg sucks! He's a male frau!

Awww....kisses!

by Anonymousreply 479June 18, 2021 12:52 AM

Will your guests dress up and be on time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480June 18, 2021 12:58 AM

This party already happened. Guests did not dress up. We're all good friends. This was not a formal event, just a dinner at home.

Were they on time? Well, they know that I like people to arrive about fifteen or twenty minutes after the time they were invited. They were invited to come at 7:30 and most arrived between 7:45 and 7:50. At 7:30 I made myself a drink and caught my breath before they arrived.

by Anonymousreply 481June 18, 2021 1:02 AM

At 7:15, I douched.

by Anonymousreply 482June 18, 2021 5:12 AM

[quote] At 7:15, I douched.

R482 is an imposter. Why would I douche before a dinner party? Not so bright, are you? You can can come to my next dinner.

by Anonymousreply 483June 18, 2021 6:48 AM

Neither R482 nor R483 were me. I hope you all know that.

by Anonymousreply 484June 18, 2021 3:28 PM

After the repast, the guests donned caftans and wigs before retiring to the salon, where everyone imbibed the house nightcap: Milk of Magnesia mixed with schnapps and regret.

by Anonymousreply 485June 20, 2021 5:11 AM

Cod? Are you poor, OP?

by Anonymousreply 486June 20, 2021 5:52 AM

I'm impressed by "Greg"'s sustained performance. I hadn't expected such realistic characterization from a 1976 graduate of the Sheboygan Conservatory of Performing Arts.

by Anonymousreply 487June 20, 2021 7:37 AM

[quote] Cod? Are you poor, OP?

No, I am not poor. Do only poor people eat cod? Thanks for letting me know. Next time I'll be sure to choose a fish eaten by the upper middle class.

by Anonymousreply 488June 20, 2021 3:51 PM

Greg, you really love this thread don't you?

So looking forward to your next inspired dinner---how about throwing a tasteful July 4 celebration?

by Anonymousreply 489June 20, 2021 11:42 PM

[quote] Greg, you really love this thread don't you?

So looking forward to your next inspired dinner---how about throwing a tasteful July 4 celebration?

Yes, I enjoy this thread.

I am having a July Fourth celebration. There has been a thread on here about it.

by Anonymousreply 490June 22, 2021 12:27 PM

I'm in (caprese guy)!

Was that you, Greg, in the "New Yorkers React To the Sudden reopening" thread?

by Anonymousreply 491June 22, 2021 2:52 PM

[quote] Was that you, Greg, in the "New Yorkers React To the Sudden reopening" thread?

No, I don't think so. What are you referring to?

by Anonymousreply 492June 22, 2021 3:17 PM

This thread, or maybe the "Has NYC bounced back thread".

Might have been one of your imposters, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493June 22, 2021 3:42 PM

Yes, I have seen a few people pretending to be me.

by Anonymousreply 494June 22, 2021 4:01 PM

If it matters, Greg, this imposter is pro NYC, unlike the loon who has posted 15 of the last 17 posts in that thread.

ElderLez is on the side of the sane there.

by Anonymousreply 495June 22, 2021 4:51 PM

[quote]Yes, I have seen a few people pretending to be me. —Greg

And who could blame them?

by Anonymousreply 496June 22, 2021 4:54 PM

[quote] And who could blame them?—You seductive, yet curiously unfuckable minx you!

I'd have to agree about not being able to blame them. What do you suppose makes me unfuckable, at least in your imagination?

by Anonymousreply 497June 22, 2021 4:57 PM

Ok, let me come clean: i am INDEED an unfuckable priss-pot. Now, please pass the petit fours.

by Anonymousreply 498June 27, 2021 4:37 AM

Well smell her!

by Anonymousreply 499June 27, 2021 4:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!