Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

WHET the Reardon Boarding House?

Did you ever stay at the boarding house? Did Bea cook for you?

I once hid out there for a couple of months. Nice place, but Nola kept talking endlessly about her movie fantasies and her plots to snare Kelly Nelson. On the other hand, Tony delighted me when he showed off his karate kicks.

by Anonymousreply 199June 14, 2021 2:42 AM

I was staying at the boarding house when a semi truck transporting a house crashed into the boarding house!

Crazy time! Scary time! Bea gave all us boarders free rent for the night because of the commotion.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2021 1:42 AM

Bea had the hots for that manly Henry Chamberlain.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2021 1:43 AM

I used to dream about Tony showing me a lot more than his kicks.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2021 1:48 AM

Tony was such a stud.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2021 2:52 AM

R4, agreed!

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2021 3:50 AM

I want to be the center of a Tony/Kelly Nelson sandwich.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2021 3:57 AM

When was the last time we saw Bea? Was it 1988? Or did she come back for visits after that?

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2021 11:29 AM

R7 I remember she was there for the first year or so of Chelsea's run.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2021 12:25 PM

Boarding house? Really? I simply couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2021 2:13 PM

Tony Reardon made me hard - down there.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2021 6:58 PM

R10 is Alan Spaulding posting from the grave .

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2021 7:03 PM

They're all small potatoes compared to me.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2021 8:01 PM

Between Tony and Jim, those Reardon boys were strapping and beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2021 10:22 PM

Why did Tony and Annabelle leave town?

by Anonymousreply 14May 26, 2021 2:56 AM

I was obsessed with Rusty Shayne’s feets.

by Anonymousreply 15May 26, 2021 2:01 PM

R14 Because Tony was caught getting sucked off by Louie Darnell at the Springfield Rest Area.

by Anonymousreply 16May 26, 2021 2:34 PM

Well, Katie Parker was the biggest f*g hag in Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2021 2:53 PM

Speaking of Katie -

Invite me to your event so I can complain for 3.5 hours about how awful everything was on THE Guiding Light!

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2021 4:54 PM

So what did Denise Pence do after GL? Anything noteworthy? Ya gotta love how all these great talented actors were fired mercilessly but never went on to do anything noteworthy. Ellen Parker included.

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2021 5:39 PM

[quote] So what did Denise Pence do after GL? Anything noteworthy?

Denise and her husband BOTH receive two sets of royalties from "A Chorus Line" as they are in Tier 1

So they don't have to worry about money

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2021 6:20 PM

[quote] Tier 1

Whatever the fuck THAT means.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2021 7:24 PM

Denise and her husband were the inspiration for two of the characters in A Chorus Line, so r20 is saying they get royalties from that .

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2021 7:27 PM

R20 thank you for the translation.

by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2021 7:28 PM

And I guess they’ll get a wheelbarrow-full of royalties when the Ryan Murphy miniseries version of A Chorus Line comes out which will actually go in depth on those taping sessions.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2021 8:02 PM

WHET Katie's brother Floyd Parker, aka Tom Nielsen who was married to Lisa Brown for a while?

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2021 8:31 PM

On the show he ended up being the character that killed someone (I'm forgetting who).

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2021 9:24 PM

He killed Andy Ferris

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2021 11:26 PM

Don’t you want to know how I ate out Jennifer Cooke?

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2021 12:25 AM

oh yeah

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2021 12:26 AM

He became obsessed with Beth Raines and Andy Ferris created the explosion that blinded her so…Floyd was pissed at him.

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2021 2:57 AM

I thought Phillip was behind that explosion?

(this is RIGHT when I started watching so it's a little fuzzy)

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2021 2:20 PM

Philip hired Andy Ferris to set off the explosion.

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2021 5:33 PM

The original explosion was that Grant would take his Pendulousness out and splash it into the ocean, but they were fearful of a tsunami and decided on an explosion instead

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2021 6:31 PM

His dong gets wet all the time because it hits the toilet water whenever he sits on the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2021 7:41 PM

I still laugh when I think of Grant teasing CB with him going to gays bars

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2021 9:05 PM

I’m the one who heard the story first-hand from my ex who was on set at the time. It was relatively early in Grant’s tenure on the show (spring 1983) so Bernau, although quite aware Grant was straight, understandably had the hots for him.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote]The original explosion was that Grant would take his Pendulousness out and splash it into the ocean, but they were fearful of a tsunami and decided on an explosion instead

LOL!

Yes, GL had to be careful not to destroy all those sets via a tsunami.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2021 10:43 PM

I can just see it now: Chris at home, in his short smoking robe, waiting on his queen sized bed for Grant to walk in and pound him into next week.

by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2021 10:51 PM

Nola's machinations to snare Kelly were pathetic, given that anyone could see that Kelly was as gay as a Christmas tree ornament

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2021 10:52 PM

[quote]anyone could see that Kelly was as gay as a Christmas tree ornament

That wasn't quite as obvious in 1980 as it is to us now 41 years later.

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2021 10:56 PM

And we all knew that Hillary was a dyke.

by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2021 11:22 PM

I can remember sitting in front of our old behemoth basement TV, seeing an episode with Kelly in his swimsuit walking around.

Still my own shooting record for distance and velocity that day.......

by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2021 11:47 PM

This brings back such wonderful memories of the late 70s. I was a lifeguard one summer in high school and took a little TV to work with me every day so I could take my break during one of the half hours when The Guiding Light was on. I can’t tell you how obsessed I was with the Kelly, Nola, Morgan triangle.

I ran into John Wesley Shipp in a locker room in Philadelphia (when he was playing Brick in a regional production of Cat on. Hot Tin Roof) about 5 years later. I told him how much I loved the show. He was polite but didn’t wax poetic about the experience. Maybe he just didn’t want to talk to me, an obsessed fan, in a locker room of an almost exclusively gay gym. I still think he was the most beautiful man who ever walked the face of the earth in his GL days.

Sometime soon thereafter, I saw him dancing at a gay bar. But he was with a group of men and women, so I couldn’t be certain he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 43May 28, 2021 12:00 AM

I wonder how many hundreds (thousands) of gay men have walked up to John Wesley Shipp and told them how much they loved seeing him walk around in a speedo on GL.

I am among those who told him that one of the times I met him.

I'm sure he's tired of hearing it by now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 28, 2021 12:10 AM

You met him, dear Liz?

(Goodness, Freud is with us...I initially typed "You meat him?")

How divine!

by Anonymousreply 45May 28, 2021 12:11 AM

Yes, Donna dear, r45

Several times over the years while he was still living in LA. JWS sightings were actually fairly common in those days.

by Anonymousreply 46May 28, 2021 12:19 AM

I may faint, Liz!

by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2021 12:22 AM

Go away Serial Nutjob!

by Anonymousreply 48May 28, 2021 2:52 PM

The only nutjob here is Susan Stewart, toots.

by Anonymousreply 49May 28, 2021 5:12 PM

I met The Pendulous One but was way too shy to say/ask much.

by Anonymousreply 50May 28, 2021 5:15 PM

As Marsha Clark said during the shooting of the Morgan/Kelly nuptials-“First wedding I’ve ever been to where the groom has bigger tits than the bride.”

by Anonymousreply 51May 28, 2021 5:34 PM

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 28, 2021 5:45 PM

Nothing was good on TGL after they dropped “The.” Oh, and I am a loser.

by Anonymousreply 53May 28, 2021 10:55 PM

Vetsoapfan, SON’s resident loser, wanted all fat people except for Fat Reva on his TGL (what a loon). He wanted fatties Bert, Ed, Mo, fat writers, fat producers, and a fat name by keeping “The.”

by Anonymousreply 54May 29, 2021 12:06 AM

TGL had the most obese cast in daytime!!! Vee is in the biz, you know. THE BIZ!

by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2021 12:08 AM

Alan Sarapa is a hottie! Watch his interview along with fat Dee produced by Nellie Bottom. Not to be missed!!!!

by Anonymousreply 56May 29, 2021 12:18 AM

When is Queen Locher interviewing Eileen Fulton?

by Anonymousreply 57May 29, 2021 12:20 AM

I just watched a few Another World episodes (from 1983) and really enjoyed Stephen Yates' portrayal of Jamie. I was young during his run so don't remember him. I only recall Laurence Lau and Russell Todd's versions -- neither of which I found very exciting.

This made me wonder about why it seemed so difficult for writing regimes to create strong, lasting characterizations for the sons of daytime's best divas. I'm talking specifically about Jamie Frame, but also Shayne Lewis (GL) and -- though not a P&G soap -- Viki's Lord's two sons, Kevin and Joe.

Shayne finally got some heft toward the end of the show's run when they cast Jeff Branson. He was great and seemed like a Lewis -- I loved him with Josh Newman. Yet before that, the character was either off canvas or adrift. Viki's sons were played by so many actors there was little consistency in their characterizations and portrayals. My favorite Kevin was Dan Gauthier (Tim Gibbs may have been sexy as fuck, but he WAS NOT Kevin Buchanan). DL fave Nathan Fillion is the one true Joey.

by Anonymousreply 58May 29, 2021 1:55 AM

Are Dumb Dylan and Vee rebooting GL? Vee is in the biz, you know. Will vetsoapfan force them to add “The” to the title and cast Fat Ed Bauer? Has Dylan (the idiot who doesn’t know his theres, theirs, and they’res) thrown himself into traffic because Mark Grossman didn’t get an Emmy nod?

by Anonymousreply 59May 29, 2021 2:05 AM

Truly the best soap opera around involves Dumb Dylan and Vee, who is in the biz, you know. Vee ordered them to drop The from TGL.

by Anonymousreply 60May 29, 2021 2:22 AM

Finally found this thread!

by Anonymousreply 61May 29, 2021 3:51 AM

Who was the idiot who decided Jamie should abruptly switch from being a writer/publisher to a doctor?

by Anonymousreply 62May 29, 2021 7:44 PM

That would be Maggie DePriest, r62, who also killed off Sally and Frankie Frame (she came back in 1996) and wrote out the Matthews and Ewing families.

by Anonymousreply 63May 29, 2021 7:49 PM

Not surprised, R63. She was one of the worst ever hacks to be in the rotation on soaps. She had zero respect for the history of the shows she worked on.

by Anonymousreply 64May 29, 2021 8:47 PM

She's practically Irna and Agnes rolled into one compared to some of the shitty ones we've had in the last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 65May 29, 2021 10:13 PM

VetSoapLoon loves all the fat and homely P&G HWs.

by Anonymousreply 66May 29, 2021 11:08 PM

Making Jamie Frame a doctor certainly came out of left field, but it opened the character up for more storyline possibilities since he could be involved with hospital and medical plots.

Having Jamie as a writer limited the story possibilities. I mean, Phillip Spaulding was a writer for a while but they ended up moving him over to be a Spaulding exec.

Hell, romance novelist Felicia Gallant also ended up being manager of Tops, a talk show host and countless other things.

by Anonymousreply 67May 29, 2021 11:17 PM

Wasn’t Irna controversial because she would spitefully kill characters off?

by Anonymousreply 68May 29, 2021 11:18 PM

[quote] Romance novelist Felicia Gallant also ended up being manager of Tops, a talk show host and countless other things.

and she hosted her talk show in the middle of Tops - a restaurant!

by Anonymousreply 69May 29, 2021 11:19 PM

[quote] Wasn’t Irna controversial because she would spitefully kill characters off?

Well, I don't know if that was controversial as much as the way it was done. She was the Head Bitch In Charge.

by Anonymousreply 70May 30, 2021 1:17 AM

Why. did they fire Fat Ed? I want TGL back!

by Anonymousreply 71May 30, 2021 2:37 AM

nooooo

by Anonymousreply 72May 30, 2021 2:42 AM

Let's list boarders at Bea's Boarding House. Kelly, is that where Nola met him?

by Anonymousreply 73May 30, 2021 3:13 AM

I hated the Reardons. They were never TGL material. I luv Fat Ed Bauer. He put the “The” in TGL.

by Anonymousreply 74May 30, 2021 3:20 AM

How many soap characters have been talk show hosts? On the P&G side, we have Felicia Gallant, Kim Hughes and Reva Shayne (and I'm sure there were more). Dr. Marlena Evans hosted a radio show and Jennifer Deveraux also had a talk show. Let's see, there's Leanna Love and Erica Kane, Pat Ashley, Dorian Lord, Melinda Cramer and Tiffany Hill.

by Anonymousreply 75May 30, 2021 4:00 AM

R75 Luna on OLTL hosted a radio show.

by Anonymousreply 76May 30, 2021 4:05 AM

If reporters count, Brooke English was one (anchorwoman?).

by Anonymousreply 77May 30, 2021 4:11 AM

Gilly Grant was a reporter - and I think she did some sort of talk thing, or on the street reporting. .

My girl Gilly could do it all - write it, report it, work it all day and go out that night to sing Straighten Up And Fly Right looking like Sade and Anita Baker's younger sister!

by Anonymousreply 78May 30, 2021 4:13 AM

More talk shows:

Tad, Ryan, Hayley amc Sam gh Hillary & Mariah yr

by Anonymousreply 79May 30, 2021 11:34 AM

R67, I disagree. Jamie could have been grioomed to head up Cory Publishing after Mac died. There would have been many storyline opportunities branching out from that.

by Anonymousreply 80May 30, 2021 2:10 PM

Alan Sarapa, Twitter’s most ugly soap “critic” is saying that he doesn’t like the new EJ on Days’ looks????? What the fuck. The ugliest gross person Sarapa is not in a position to speak about anyone’s looks. Soap critics are at an all time low. Look in the mirror you ugly fuck Alan.

by Anonymousreply 81May 30, 2021 4:31 PM

r81

The pics don't do NuEJ justice... he looks much better in this vide0

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82May 30, 2021 4:37 PM

NuEJ is FINE looking!!!! Alan Sarapa, not so much. He’s fucking UGLY!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 83May 30, 2021 8:03 PM

Please ignore the mentally ill person at R81.

As for nuEJ, he can be discussed further here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 30, 2021 9:50 PM

Vetsoapfan likes everything FAT. Fat Ed Bauer. Fat Bert Bauer. Fat soap families. Fat soap writers. Most importantly he loves fat soap names like THE Guiding Light (or TGL). Most people love the beautiful, slim, skinny name Guiding Light (or GL).

by Anonymousreply 85May 30, 2021 10:48 PM

Erica Kane also had her own talk show, which she co-hosted with Tad Martin

by Anonymousreply 86May 30, 2021 10:51 PM

Vincent I has said they’re going to bring Lujack back when he returned in 1991. Has anyone said what the story was going to be? I’ve heard rumors that they were going to say Infinity faked his death to extort Alexandra later on. The details get fuzzy here but the organization falls apart leaving Lujack in this jail in another country. He reads in a paper Beth is alive and breaks out to be with her again. Philip and Beth were already gone. They could have had Phillip break his parole and go to jail with Beth returning.

by Anonymousreply 87June 1, 2021 3:57 AM

Vince has said on his Locher Room interviews that he was in talks for many months to return to GL before they finally reached a deal and brought him back in July 1991.

I suspect that when they first started talking to him, Phillip and Beth were still on the show. However, in late 1990, both of Grant's parents died within a few months of each other. Grant has said he felt overwhelmed by so much loss and told the show he was going to need some time off to mourn his parents. He asked the show to wind down Phillip's storyline and write him out. So, GL accommodated him, marrying Phillip and Beth and sending them to Arizona in Feb. 1991.

By the time the deal with Vince to return was done, Phillip and Beth were no longer on the show. Since Lujack returning without Phillip and Beth around wouldn't make much sense, they brought Vince on as a new character.

by Anonymousreply 88June 1, 2021 9:27 AM

Robert Hogan (Vince, AW; LJ (Larry’s dad), ATWT) has died.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89June 1, 2021 3:05 PM

Aw.

by Anonymousreply 90June 1, 2021 3:42 PM

Thanks Aunt Liz. I know that story but I’ve been curious what they initially had in mind for a Lujack return. They wouldn’t have thought about it without having a story in mind like how was Lujack alive. That would have been a helluva story and would have coincided with GL hitting on all cylinders by mid-1991.

by Anonymousreply 91June 1, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] Vincent I has said they’re going to bring Lujack back when he returned in 1991. Has anyone said what the story was going to be? I’ve heard rumors that they were going to say Infinity faked his death to extort Alexandra later on

[quote] By the time the deal with Vince to return was done, Phillip and Beth were no longer on the show. Since Lujack returning without Phillip and Beth around wouldn't make much sense, they brought Vince on as a new character.

Actually there is more to the story than bringing Vince on as a new character, since Phillip & Beth were no longer on the show

Guiding Light producer Robert Calhoun was the one who initiated talks with Vince in 1990. At the time, Pam Long (who created the character of Lujack) was still writing the show

There was alot of back and forth between Vince, P&G & GL team as to story. They did have a story in mind, then suddenly Pam Long quit, and Robert Calhoun followed Pam out the door as well.

And a whole team was put in place of Guiding Light. So the whole deal fell apart.

It was only after Guiding Light had a talent drain of leading men leaving the show (Grant Alexander, Michael O'Leary, Robert Newman) that P&G approached Vince again and then finalized a deal.

by Anonymousreply 92June 1, 2021 7:30 PM

Was Robert Calhoun ever in talks to bring FatEdBauer back to TGL?

by Anonymousreply 93June 1, 2021 7:40 PM

R93 P&G approached Mart Hulswit TWICE when Peter Simon vacated the role of Ed Bauer. Both times he declined

P&G also approached Carl T. Evans to reprise the role of Alan-Michael in 1996, when Rick Hearst left after six years. He also declined

by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2021 7:42 PM

At SON Eeyore Negative Depressing Carl misses TGL. Dumb Dylan was born after the show was canceled.

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2021 7:42 PM

Dumb Dylan has been absent since his love Grossman got engaged. Woe is me Carl is worried about him. I’m just worried why TGL dropped The from its title. I’m still not over that.

by Anonymousreply 96June 1, 2021 8:00 PM

still can't believe Nick and Beth NEVER interacted

by Anonymousreply 97June 1, 2021 9:12 PM

Or Nick and Phillip.

by Anonymousreply 98June 2, 2021 12:48 AM

R97 Somebody should have been executed for this. I know Vince left the show when Beth came back but in 12 years since Beth’s return in 97 to cancellation you couldn’t lure him back for a Lujack return or Nick/Beth?

by Anonymousreply 99June 2, 2021 1:18 AM

No other show would have allowed such egregious history to be ignored. At least up until then. Beth/Nick would have been 🔥🔥

by Anonymousreply 100June 2, 2021 1:26 AM

Someday I'll do a long list of the things they forgot or overlooked and publish it.

Harley came back in 1997 and they forgot that Dinah and her were close friends until about a month or two before Wendy Moniz left the show. So many missed opportunities - it could drive you crazy.

by Anonymousreply 101June 2, 2021 3:09 AM

[quote] in 97 to cancellation you couldn’t lure him back for a Lujack return or Nick/Beth?

Vince was on "All My Children" under contract from 1997 until its cancellation in 2011

by Anonymousreply 102June 2, 2021 3:17 AM

R102 AND HE WAS GREAT!!! Though he was off of AMC from between 2006-2008, when I guess GL could've lured him back.

by Anonymousreply 103June 2, 2021 3:25 AM

[quote] Though he was off of AMC from between 2006-2008, when I guess GL could've lured him back.

With what, two nickels and an extra Guiding Light t-shirt laying around somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 104June 2, 2021 3:29 AM

[quote] Though he was off of AMC from between 2006-2008, when I guess GL could've lured him back.

he straight to "The Young and the Restless" from 2006 to 2008 - and when he left that show, he went straight back to All My Children from 2008 until its cancellation in 2011

So no matter what, Vince was under contract on various soaps, so there was no way GL could lure him back

by Anonymousreply 105June 2, 2021 3:29 AM

R105 I mean if they had really wanted to, they could've tired at the time Y&R got him. But, like R104 said their budget was so low at the time they probably couldn't have competed with Y&R.

by Anonymousreply 106June 2, 2021 3:35 AM

When GL couldn't lure Carl T. Evans back in 1996 you'd think they wouldn't go from aiming so high to scraping the bottom of the barrel the way they did. Michael Dietz was as awful as they come. I remember his debut was in some dumb Fifth Street rally scene and I actually snorted a little when they had Alan-Michael 'stand up' to Amanda and Alan.

by Anonymousreply 107June 2, 2021 3:39 AM

Why didn’t the show add “The” back to the title? It would have lured millions of us back!

by Anonymousreply 108June 2, 2021 3:40 AM

R107 Carl T, Evans was just not interested in returning. GL made an attractive offer, but by then Carl T. Evans was focusing on a career as a film maker

R106 At that time GL was so low-budget, I doubt they could afford Irizarry asking price. Plus the character of Beth had changed so much, it wouldn't make sense to bring back the character of Nick McHenry

by Anonymousreply 109June 2, 2021 3:42 AM

I've said before I never got to see Beverlee McKinsey's Alexandra Spaulding, Marj Dusay was my original, and I enjoyed Dame Joan Collins short take on the character. But, I liked Dusay and Irizarry's chemistry as mother and son on AMC more than on GL. Maybe it was because Vanessa was allowed to be just plain evil, whereas Alexandra was neither good nor bad.

by Anonymousreply 110June 2, 2021 4:32 AM

Bev was so lazy. She never wanted to work. She was known throughout the industry as a complainer and not a team player

by Anonymousreply 111June 2, 2021 5:18 AM

The downfall of TGL started when they dropped The. I knew then that the show would be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 112June 2, 2021 11:22 AM

R111 Bev was indeed lazy. She left Texas for the exact same reason. Over worked. Imagine only getting 8 weeks off a year and not working more than 3 days a week. The poor dear.

by Anonymousreply 113June 2, 2021 1:22 PM

I stopped watching in ‘05. I heard the show was really good in ‘06. It won the Emmy for Show that year. I tuned back in when Phillip came back. The show looked better. Some of the outdoor scenes were stunning at times. What ruined them more often was the terrible bluegrass/country songs they HAD to play over every scene when none elevated the scene.

The show was good the last 9 months. It seemed like GL again.

by Anonymousreply 114June 2, 2021 1:36 PM

Robert Hogan was always a handsome man, but he'd aged pretty well. I had no idea he was 87!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115June 2, 2021 1:54 PM

I don't remember if I ever watched VI and Marj as son and mother on GL, but they were fantastic together on AMC. Even though many of their storylines were ridiculous, as most of the AMC stories became in the 2000s, they sold it.

by Anonymousreply 116June 2, 2021 3:37 PM

I don’t understand when people say Beth (Judi’s version)was weak with Philip. While he was her “knight in shining armor” Beth didn’t need him as much as he needed her. That was made clear over and over. She fought through being abused (and then raped) by her stepfather with determination and grace. She then moved on from Phillip when Mindy got pregnant with lightening speed when she started dating Lujack. I think we see her as stronger with Lujack because she was tutoring him and was the aggressor in going after him. She also broke him out of jail then gave herself sexually to him. She was overused on the show (her and Reva were on 4/5 days a week in 84/85) but I always found Beth interesting and a bit fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 117June 2, 2021 4:00 PM

Beth was definitely overused and Beth always reminded me of whatever role Molly Ringwald would play in a movie.

If Beth was the Molly alike on GL then India was the Ally Sheedy role - in much more glamorous clothes of course.

But you're right R117. The idea that Judi's Beth was a victim isn't really correct. She did have her struggles but she was a pretty strong woman by the end of Judi's run.

by Anonymousreply 118June 2, 2021 5:18 PM

Agree to disagree. Beth was interesting and I liked both her and India.

by Anonymousreply 119June 2, 2021 5:22 PM

India wanted Beth’s clit. India was a dyke. India was Never believable with men.

by Anonymousreply 120June 2, 2021 5:24 PM

We always talking about Beth or Reva or others since being overexposed or being tired of them......

Can you imagine watching in the 60s and thinking "ugh, do I have to look at that dour cunt Bert Bauer AGAIN??!???"

Or "Is Rita going to fuck EVERYONE in Springfield?"

by Anonymousreply 121June 2, 2021 5:27 PM

R121 Beth had good story so I didn’t mind her being on a lot. She was hugely popular.

by Anonymousreply 122June 2, 2021 5:30 PM

Judi's Beth had classic story.

When Beth and Alan fucked.....just NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

by Anonymousreply 123June 2, 2021 5:59 PM

Interesting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124June 2, 2021 8:17 PM

What the Pendulous One said:

SIDEBAR:

The Women in Phillip's Life

Who They Were and What They Meant to Him

>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<

Beth Raines (Judi Evans)

Beth was the love of his life. She was the kind of person in which he could reveal all the things that he was uncertain about himself. She had a way of making everything seem all right about him. He didn't have to make excuses for himself, she accepted him for what he was. And loved him for all those things. It was the unconditional acceptance kind of thing, and he loved her. She was just a very wonderful character. And very strong.

Mindy Lewis (Krista Tesreau)

Mindy is the kind of woman that Phillip does not take seriously because she is the obvious choice. It's the old, you've got money, they've got money, you both belong to the country club so you should be happy together. And that's the kind of woman that Phillip would never invest enough of himself in to really see if there was a possibility for a relationship. Phillip is one of those characters that craves depth.

Chelsea Reardon (Kassie Wesley)

That's the toughest one. The Chelsea/Phillip relationship was written from the standpoint, "okay, so we got these two and Grant just came back to the show, and she's not with anybody, so let's just throw them together and see what happens." I think invariably when you do that, you end up short-changing everybody. Ultimately, I think they ended up with two people looking at each other and saying, "yeah, it was all there, for some reason or another, but it wasn't meant to be." But I think there is a lingering fondness.

Blake Lindsay (Elizabeth Dennehy)

That's a confusing one to me. I'm trying to work it out. That was a relationship that was born out of the [writers'] strike. I'm asking a lot of questions right now trying to get an understanding, because I really don't know. Pam Long (the headwriter) wasn't happy that Blake was developed during the writers' strike, because she had plans that didn't get to be brought about. She now knows she wants the characters to be very much in love. But there are so many other stumbling blocks that they have to get through. Now we are at the point where we are trying to figure out how we can make certain things work. Because we have to play a love and a trust that story-wise is not yet there

by Anonymousreply 125June 2, 2021 8:18 PM

Somehow we missed that Grant turned 60 last August. Maybe it was the pandemic?

Otherwise we would have had a week long celebration: SIXTY YEARS OF PENDULOUSNESS! Or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 126June 2, 2021 8:34 PM

Grant has a dirty dong. It hits the toilet water.

by Anonymousreply 127June 2, 2021 9:22 PM

Grant has been with the same woman since his college acting days

and he is an animal activist - so I guess he can't be too bad.

by Anonymousreply 128June 2, 2021 9:26 PM

I really like Beth. I actually thought it was entertaining how every man in SF fell in love with her. I saw it as a running gag with the writers. Saint Beth was right but she had an edge to her I liked. Watching those YouTube vids of her and Bradley going at it shows her edge well.

by Anonymousreply 129June 2, 2021 9:27 PM

Grant is a kind person.

by Anonymousreply 130June 2, 2021 11:20 PM

I'll say this, I like Beth more than I like Lily from ATWT. I suspect I'm not alone on this particular ledge.

by Anonymousreply 131June 2, 2021 11:24 PM

What was wrong with Lily’s teeth on ATWT? Did they make Noelle Beck wear fake teeth when she took over for Martha Byrne?

by Anonymousreply 132June 2, 2021 11:26 PM

I liked Beth, but I loved her mom Lillian.

by Anonymousreply 133June 3, 2021 12:00 AM

The moms of the Mary Sue types are usually more interesting. Lillian rather than Beth, Lucinda rather than Lily, Donna rather than Marley. Going outside of P&G, and for the exception, Christine/Cricket was more interesting than Rebecca, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 134June 3, 2021 12:14 AM

Is anyone going to discuss my eyelift and facelift from late 2003/early 2004? HELLO KIDDOS

by Anonymousreply 135June 3, 2021 12:20 AM

Lillian more interesting than Beth? Really?

by Anonymousreply 136June 3, 2021 12:21 AM

R134 Jessica, Rebecca was the actress.

by Anonymousreply 137June 3, 2021 12:21 AM

Back to my plastic surgery!

by Anonymousreply 138June 3, 2021 12:24 AM

Looks great for 60.

by Anonymousreply 139June 3, 2021 2:16 AM

Lillian was underutilized with a few exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 140June 3, 2021 2:18 AM

Wouldn't Iva be Lily's mom?

by Anonymousreply 141June 3, 2021 2:19 AM

R140 Which was a shame.

by Anonymousreply 142June 3, 2021 2:19 AM

Speculation on Judi and Vince/Grant relationship- I heard she was in an emotionally abusive relationship with a show producer. This was at the end of Grant’s run. He was leaving and didn’t provide much emotional support. Both John Bolger and especially Vince did. She’s felt close to them ever since. She felt Grant wasn’t there for her. Heard this from someone who ran a Vince fan website.

by Anonymousreply 143June 3, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote] Saint Beth was right but she had an edge to her I liked.

Saint Beth of Raines!

by Anonymousreply 144June 3, 2021 2:39 AM

India should have been more involved in story with Beth. The dialogue was funny and smart. Only Pam really got Beth. Writers can take other writers creations and make them their own but no writer really got Beth until the last one.

by Anonymousreply 145June 3, 2021 3:03 AM

Writer’s creations^^^^

by Anonymousreply 146June 3, 2021 3:04 AM

Jill Laurie Hurst got Phillip and Beth because she actually wrote the characters she knew they were, and didn't try to make them be everything else under the sun. Unfortunately it was too late

by Anonymousreply 147June 3, 2021 3:07 AM

Ugh. Jill Lorie Hurst. She certainly banged those last few nails into TGL’s coffin.

by Anonymousreply 148June 3, 2021 8:03 AM

I wasn’t a huge GL watcher past the mid 80s, but I did think Beth Chamberlin would have made a good recast Liza Colby on AMC. Instead we got Jamie Luner who was Liza in name only.

by Anonymousreply 149June 3, 2021 10:39 AM

That was the era where so many roles were recast with actors that only vaguely acted like or resembled the earlier characters.

Most of ATWT was unrecognizable with all the recasts.

by Anonymousreply 150June 3, 2021 12:56 PM

Not to mention, wandering ABC actors appearing on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 151June 3, 2021 11:07 PM

Connie Ford is the subject of a recently started thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152June 4, 2021 10:45 AM

Have we been M'd?

by Anonymousreply 153June 4, 2021 12:57 PM

No, r153.

by Anonymousreply 154June 4, 2021 2:51 PM

Fuk. We’ve been Murieled.

by Anonymousreply 155June 4, 2021 6:00 PM

Does anyone have episodes of TGL, TYATR, TSS, TEON, and AWSS they can share on YouTube?

by Anonymousreply 156June 4, 2021 9:29 PM

I’m a miserable old fuck. TGL was always TGL.

by Anonymousreply 157June 4, 2021 9:34 PM

[quote] We’ve been Murieled.

I have no idea what it means to me We’ve been Murieled.

by Anonymousreply 158June 4, 2021 11:44 PM

[quote]I have no idea what it means to me We’ve been Murieled.

Welcome to DataLounge! Hope you're enjoying your first few days here.

by Anonymousreply 159June 4, 2021 11:46 PM

R159 I have been on DL for over 20 years

by Anonymousreply 160June 4, 2021 11:46 PM

You’ll fit in fine as long as you call it TGL.

by Anonymousreply 161June 5, 2021 1:41 AM

In any case, we have not been M'd.

by Anonymousreply 162June 5, 2021 11:13 AM

Let’s get back to GL talk. Here’s the June 4, 1990 episode: Reva going bonkers, Josh worrying about Reva, Vanessa and Nadine bickering. I loved this era!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163June 5, 2021 11:51 AM

It’s TGL.

by Anonymousreply 164June 5, 2021 12:29 PM

Reva was losing her SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 165June 5, 2021 1:21 PM

[quote] I have no idea what it means to me

When a thread has been Murieled or M'd, the free members can no longer comment. Which brings conversations to a crawl, since there's only a handful of paid members.

by Anonymousreply 166June 5, 2021 1:23 PM

[quote] since there's only a handful of paid members.

Since I'm a paid member, I guess that is why I don't notice it when threads get Murieled

by Anonymousreply 167June 5, 2021 4:31 PM

Bea Reardon was quite the active pussy with all them kids she had.

by Anonymousreply 168June 5, 2021 5:50 PM

anyway......

by Anonymousreply 169June 5, 2021 7:29 PM

r167

thank you for being another person who pays 2 fucking dollar a month for this site

by Anonymousreply 170June 6, 2021 12:01 AM

Question to discuss

Was Reva really just Rita for a different generation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171June 6, 2021 9:14 PM

Did Rita flash her beav in the town square?

by Anonymousreply 172June 6, 2021 9:19 PM

Rita’s beaver was quite busy when she was married to the fat Ed.

by Anonymousreply 173June 7, 2021 8:15 AM

Would Rita have ever been crazy enough to drive off a bridge?

by Anonymousreply 174June 7, 2021 8:21 AM

Old miserable Vetsoap fan is going on and on about TGL and fat Mart. It’s been 40 years since the fat Ed left. Get over it you miserable old fuck.

by Anonymousreply 175June 7, 2021 8:23 AM

Geez, you talk about him like he was John Goodman or something.

by Anonymousreply 176June 7, 2021 8:26 AM

Or Jordan Clarke.

by Anonymousreply 177June 7, 2021 10:42 AM

anyway....

by Anonymousreply 178June 7, 2021 2:12 PM

The Classy Emmy Winning Actress Christina Pickles trading barbs with Beverlee McKinsey on Another World

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179June 7, 2021 2:14 PM

R179 What the fuck was McKunty wearing on her head? Jesus Christ! Maybe the “over worked” actress should have spent less time in the beauty helmet head salon!

by Anonymousreply 180June 7, 2021 2:31 PM

In the clip from R179, Elena looked like she was staring right into the teleprompter. She did not try to play it off at all.

by Anonymousreply 181June 7, 2021 2:42 PM

I love Bev but damn, she and Christina Pickles are having a contest as to who can have the more matronly hairstyle.

The 70s were awful for that shit.

by Anonymousreply 182June 7, 2021 2:51 PM

Beverlee was SO over worked yet she could spend hours getting that hair done?

by Anonymousreply 183June 7, 2021 3:24 PM

The two of them are 44 in r179’s video. Victoria Wyndham didn’t look matronly like that.

To put it in context, Laura Wright is now 51 and Sharon Case is 50.

by Anonymousreply 184June 7, 2021 4:09 PM

Bev always looked old.

by Anonymousreply 185June 7, 2021 4:57 PM

R184 Yep. Hairstyles were just so matronly for older women at that time. Kathryn Hays had an almost grandmotherly hairstyle on ATWT and Kim was a leading character.

Then again even the younger women had unflattering short hair and often curly styles then.

by Anonymousreply 186June 7, 2021 5:53 PM

Douglas Cramer, who was a producer for many different things including Dynasty, just died.

Did not know he was involved with early days of GL and ATWT on TV (based on the timelines they talk about here I am guessing late 50s or early 60s)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187June 8, 2021 1:51 PM

I mean, looking at my parents' high school yearbooks turns up a lot of "old people," so it stands to reason that everyone came across as matronly back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 188June 8, 2021 5:24 PM

Ellen Stewart on ATWT had the old lady hairdoo.

by Anonymousreply 189June 8, 2021 5:39 PM

Dylan from SON is dumber than rocks! He deletes his posts every time someone disagrees even if they have quoted him. Idiot! He is going to disappear for a week and wack off to pictures of Grossman, who left him for Sharon Case.

by Anonymousreply 190June 8, 2021 7:57 PM

Dumb Dylan truly is an idiot. Vee, who is in the biz, needs to have a chat with Dumb Dylan.

by Anonymousreply 191June 8, 2021 10:57 PM

It's hard to get people to care about the soaps when there are only four left.

by Anonymousreply 192June 8, 2021 10:58 PM

Dylan, the Moron, just posted that he misses Chuck Pratt’s Y&R. He will probably delete it soon just before goes to wack off to Grossman/Adam Newman again.

by Anonymousreply 193June 9, 2021 12:00 AM

Oooh papa tooney we got a looney

by Anonymousreply 194June 9, 2021 1:01 AM

Erika Slezak had the most matronly hairstyles on OLTL throughout the 80s. Made her look decades older than she actually was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195June 9, 2021 8:13 AM

We still don't care about anyone at SON. We will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever CARE about who posts what, says what, thinks what at that board.

Ever.

by Anonymousreply 196June 9, 2021 2:21 PM

Is there a new thread here?

by Anonymousreply 197June 13, 2021 11:33 PM

this one, sort of

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198June 13, 2021 11:35 PM

Eh. More about old movies, no?

by Anonymousreply 199June 14, 2021 2:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!