Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I Want to Be Underwhelmed, Spring Herd Immunity Edition, 2021

NOTICE: This thread has been inoculated against excitement.

by Anonymousreply 599June 11, 2021 9:41 PM

I am Dylan Geick’s OnlyFans.

by Anonymousreply 1April 24, 2021 5:24 AM

Prior ennui.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 24, 2021 5:25 AM

My arm is sore. And I'm very tired. Guess why.

by Anonymousreply 3April 24, 2021 5:45 AM

Jesus these cats...trying to not be whelmed.

by Anonymousreply 4April 24, 2021 9:04 AM

I told myself yesterday I’d get an early start today. Instead, I’m on Datalounge. Maybe tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 5April 24, 2021 2:12 PM

I'm burned out.

Still.

by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2021 2:29 PM

I added some semolina flour when I made pizza dough for later, and now I wonder if I should have added an eighth cup more.

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2021 2:31 PM

i going to CVS, now, to get Magnesium Citrate for my opiated 95 yr old mother.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2021 2:33 PM

I am planning to go to Wendy's for dinner. I'm tired of my own mediocre cooking. However, my cat likes the chicken nuggets from McDonald's and not the ones from Wendy's. But I want Wendy's chili ...

by Anonymousreply 9April 24, 2021 10:39 PM

Wendy's has good chili and it's cold outside. You're inspiring me, R9. Also, my cat knows the difference between the fish used in McDonald's and Burger King. He shows high disdain for Burger King.

by Anonymousreply 10April 25, 2021 3:57 PM

Making chili today...

by Anonymousreply 11April 25, 2021 6:41 PM

I made some chili a couple of weeks ago and put half of it in the freezer. I think I'll take it out.

by Anonymousreply 12April 25, 2021 6:55 PM

1st shot of Pfizer. I don’t think the shot makes me sleepy; I think it was wandering through the maze to get the shot and then grabbing a second appointment online - everyone waiting the 20 minutes was searching for next available appointment.

by Anonymousreply 13April 25, 2021 8:19 PM

I took a vacation day tomorrow. Enjoying my 3-day weekend. Next week, I’m off Tuesday and Wednesday because of my 2nd Pfizer shot and because I have a shit ton of time I can take off.

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2021 1:17 AM

I made the mistake of reading an article about a vegan butcher before bed and now I'm very hungry. (Not for vegan substitutes, but for actual meat.) But if I ate something this late at night I'd be a fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2021 12:49 AM

Tonight I finished off TWO containers of Talenti gelato! (granted, there wasn't much left in either)

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2021 12:52 AM

Gangstalking is VERY REAL and the truth is coming out piece by piece.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2021 12:57 AM

I potted up some begonias this afternoon, went for a long walk. Later I ate a pot gummy bear and burnt my index finger while making chocolate ganache for the overripe strawberries. Currently watching Cook’s Country on PBS. I’m not sure I can pick up the pieces and move on from such stress.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2021 1:01 AM

I'm staying in.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2021 1:08 AM

I farted today...it sounded like drums

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2021 1:24 AM

I made that viral TikTok baked feta pasta. It was okay.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2021 2:00 AM

I bought a fun throw pillow cover and I'm going to Michael's right now to get a 20 x 20 insert! Or, I may go in the morning...I'm already so damned tired.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2021 2:03 AM

Nextdoor says a coyote was seen chasing a cat this evening two streets away from us.

I'm not whelmed. She might be, though: my elderly evil neighbor should be taking her garbage out any minute now. Maybe the coyote's still hungry.

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2021 2:04 AM

I'm ASHAMED of myself for being a little jealous and a little hurt since my OnlyFans Crush announced that he has a boyfriend now. I couldn't possibly have thought I had a chance in Hell. I'm 10 years older and halfway across the country. He only Direct Messaged me so I'd continue to tip.

I swear I was popular & cool at one time. How did I end up this pathetic?

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2021 2:16 AM

I was unpatiently waiting for my appointment for the vaccine and received it Sunday - yay, me.

Now, two days later, the city is telling people to just show up without any fucking appointment at government run sites whenever they want to get a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2021 2:18 AM

R25 Appts are so much more civilized than walk in. You avoided a shit show.

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2021 3:10 AM

Wtf is a vegan butcher? Does it slice up gluten roasts? Tofu chicken tits?

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2021 3:13 AM

I have a really HOT butcher.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2021 3:14 AM

R16 what flavors?

by Anonymousreply 29April 28, 2021 5:49 AM

I'm chewing gum.

by Anonymousreply 30April 28, 2021 6:47 AM

I didn't peel the turnips before I put them in with the pot roast tonight. That was a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 31April 28, 2021 7:49 AM

I’m going to break out cookie cutters and make some take home packets for my friends in my dinner party crowd. I only have Christmas cookie cutters, they’ll have to do.

by Anonymousreply 32April 28, 2021 11:07 AM

This t-shirt I am wearing is almost reduced to molecules. Regretfully, it is not in such condition from the ravages of hot men removing it forcefully.

It's going in the trash tonight.

by Anonymousreply 33April 28, 2021 11:13 AM

Why does my personal iPhone not ring but the call comes through on my iPad and with sound?! This is very whelming to me.

by Anonymousreply 34April 28, 2021 3:01 PM

R34, thank you. I have a grabby ipad as well and I have to make it “forget iphone device” under bluetooth.

by Anonymousreply 35April 28, 2021 3:18 PM

[quote]I’m going to break out cookie cutters and make some take home packets for my friends in my dinner party crowd. I only have Christmas cookie cutters, they’ll have to do.

Your friends might be a bit whelmed if they think the cookies were left over from December. You could always use the top of a small drinking glass, dipped in flour, to cut out the cookies.

by Anonymousreply 36April 28, 2021 4:30 PM

That's a great idea, R36. I use a glass when I make Toad in a Hole. I was thinking of buying a ring mold, tough. I hate dirtying up a glass just to cut a hole in the bread.

by Anonymousreply 37April 28, 2021 4:40 PM

[quote]Wtf is a vegan butcher? Does it slice up gluten roasts? Tofu chicken tits?

R27, I just watched a spot on The Food Network about a Vegan "Butcher/Deli" owner. They're basically forming protein concoctions into meat-like shapes, giving it a similar flavor and then slicing it up, the same as you would meat. I suppose it's for the person on Vegan diet who still craves meat.

I have a relative who's a Vegetarian. She's at the point where she doesn't want to eat anything that even tastes similar to meat. Says even the illusion makes her ill.

by Anonymousreply 38April 28, 2021 7:26 PM

I think my cat is trapped in the attic.

by Anonymousreply 39April 28, 2021 9:57 PM

R39 How is it trapped? Why can't you lure it out with food?

by Anonymousreply 40April 28, 2021 10:25 PM

She came out when I opened the door now that it’s almost supper time.

by Anonymousreply 41April 28, 2021 10:42 PM

I was trying to pretend to give a flying fuck about cicadas, but it came off very hollow & rather insipid.

by Anonymousreply 42April 28, 2021 10:55 PM

R27, apparently vegan butchers sell imitation meats, such as bean burgers and "facon". I've eaten vegan sausages that really did taste like pork.

by Anonymousreply 43April 28, 2021 11:38 PM

I was feeling especially wild tonight and took and extra edible! Plus I had two White Claws...

I hope I don't get a hangover.

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2021 12:10 AM

My boss is a complete cunt and I waste too much energy hating her.

by Anonymousreply 45April 29, 2021 12:13 AM

I interview via zoom for a job tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 46April 29, 2021 12:25 AM

Ok I love the overly gregarious neighborhood crossing guard now. I walked past her today and she yelled, "So nice to see you, you look so GOOD!" She's my girl!

by Anonymousreply 47April 29, 2021 12:26 AM

I think that is tremendous R46. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 48April 29, 2021 12:27 AM

Best of luck, R46!

by Anonymousreply 49April 29, 2021 12:27 AM

I went on a walk today. I thought I saw a squirrel, but it turned out to be a piece of garbage blowing in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 50April 29, 2021 12:27 AM

R47, you are fickle. Yeah, I said it. FICKLE!

by Anonymousreply 51April 29, 2021 12:30 AM

I went on a walk today. I thought I saw a piece of garbage, but it turned out to be a squirrel corpse, blowing in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 52April 29, 2021 12:30 AM

So I chopped down a small tree in my yard with a power saw, and need to remove the stump. So I need to buy a big axe and be all manly and shit, which got me motivated, but then it rained, and I got lazy, and didn't have the energy to drive to Home Depot to buy an axe. Maybe tomorrow. Or I will order one on Amazon. It's smaller but it is made in Finland. 60 bucks. Probably use it once. Would borrow one from a neighbor, but I don't know any because it's not 1973.

by Anonymousreply 53April 29, 2021 12:39 AM

But R53, there are so many wonderful ideas to decorate tree stumps...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54April 29, 2021 12:42 AM

That new Kate Winslet HBO show makes me fall asleep, great for insomnia.

by Anonymousreply 55April 29, 2021 12:57 AM

R53 Rent a stump grinder

by Anonymousreply 56April 29, 2021 1:01 AM

[quote]I interview via zoom for a job tomorrow.

You should wear pants, even though they won't be seen. It will make you feel more professional.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 57April 29, 2021 2:01 AM

And good shoes!

by Anonymousreply 58April 29, 2021 2:15 AM

I spent my entire adult life priding myself on being "just like everyone else" & "one of the guys". No gay bars, prides or circuit parties for me! Never had a serious boyfriend or partner, only flings. [My own doing.] Never even had a platonic gay friend to relate to, all (seemingly) straight dudes. [Also, my own doing.]

Now I'm a lonely 40 year old eating Fruit Gushers & doing (endless) stacks of paperwork from behind a laptop in my cheap hotel room. I did everything I could (in my power) to not offend & possibly be rejected by others. Ultimately I was rejected & left behind anyway. I haven't a single friend or family member I can call just to cheer me up. I have NOTHING but a thankless, ungratifying career.

If any young person out there is feeling unsure about their sexuality/true self, let my pathetic existence be a lesson for you. NEVER LET HOW YOU THINK OTHERS WILL PERCEIVE YOU PREVENT YOU FROM LIVING YOUR LIFE OR ESTABLISHING ONE FOR YOURSELF! Because your so-called "Family & Friends" sure in the hell won't!

by Anonymousreply 59April 29, 2021 2:57 AM

Well, that’s all a bit on the whelming side, if you ask me.

by Anonymousreply 60April 29, 2021 3:07 AM

Totally whelming. Start your own thread. Here, we seek no drama.

by Anonymousreply 61April 29, 2021 5:04 AM

[quote]Here, we seek no drama.

We prefer mildly zany complications involving things that really don't matter one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 62April 29, 2021 5:15 AM

What is a Fruit Gusher?

by Anonymousreply 63April 29, 2021 5:17 AM

R59 You're post overwhelmed me. I feel sad for you because you are in the same emotional place I'm in. However, the posts above are correct - this isn't the thread for all that overwhelming emotion. Now I'll need to work at getting back to that underwhelming sweet spot I enjoy living in.

by Anonymousreply 64April 29, 2021 2:50 PM

Getting excited about NYC reopening news. Finally will be able to go sit at the bar at my local gay bar. It will be a shock. It’s been nice - and healthier and cheaper - in some ways to stay home all the time. But I’m ready to resume life and make the most of whatever time I have left. Looking forward to seeing people o haven’t seen in over a year. Unfortunately that may include finding out some didn’t make it through. A reminder to make the most of today and not put off happiness until tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 65April 29, 2021 3:07 PM

I just updated my Mac OS from Catalina to Big Sur. Slightly whelming. There’s always the fear that after it finally reboots everything that was on your laptop will be gone. But now I feel a sense of accomplishment

by Anonymousreply 66April 29, 2021 6:42 PM

My Mac is too old for Big Sur. It’s a Mac Mini. I opened it up and replaced the hard drive and added memory, following online discussions. I’m gonna keep it forever since I pretty much only use my iPad Pro these days.

by Anonymousreply 67April 29, 2021 7:11 PM

I went into the office today. It was nice to see some people I haven't seen since either late last year or before we went into lockdown mode. It's kind of funny how many people are now saying they can see themselves coming into the office on a more regular basis. We moved earlier this month so we're all getting used to our new cubes and surroundings.

Also, interesting to see how many of us gained a few "pandemic pounds." One of the guys is tall (a former model, not famous), and, in my opinion, was underweight. He now has a little belly.

To stay with the underwhelmingness of the thread, we have no salt and pepper in our new office! I will need to buy some personal shakers for my use.

by Anonymousreply 68April 29, 2021 8:56 PM

I went to a flea market today. I almost bought a Capodimonte urn with cherubs and nonsense all over it, but sanity prevailed and I left only a dollar poorer, the cost of admission. But, harkening back to an earlier thread, I did see an assortment of melon ballers.

by Anonymousreply 69April 29, 2021 9:09 PM

I'm currently waiting on my Instacart delivery for 2 boxed wines.

by Anonymousreply 70April 29, 2021 9:39 PM

R69 "Cherubs and Nonsense" - great name for a record album, or a blog.

I recently spent $20 on Amazon for some new oven mitts. They're ok, if almost too substantial. Then yesterday I saw some basic-looking ones in a drugstore for one dollar - I was excited but also pissed that I'd spent the "big bucks." Well, I washed the dollar ones today and they completely fell apart in the spin cycle. So sometimes you do get what you pay for.

by Anonymousreply 71April 29, 2021 10:13 PM

R36 - won’t small round cookies reflect poorly on my cookie cutter skills? I can snip the legs and antlers off the reindeer cut outs, and if you squint and with the right icing, you’d almost swear they are swans.

by Anonymousreply 72April 29, 2021 11:29 PM

One of my two bathroom lights burned out. The local hardware stores had nothing in “warm white”” and I had to order off the Internet. The replacement.bulbs arrived and I hope they match the ones that didn’t burn out.

by Anonymousreply 73April 30, 2021 1:08 AM

[quote]R36 - won’t small round cookies reflect poorly on my cookie cutter skills? I can snip the legs and antlers off the reindeer cut outs, and if you squint and with the right icing, you’d almost swear they are swans.

Admittedly, round cookies lack any sort of visual je ne sais quoi. But I figured they would be less whelming than having your friends think you're trying to palm off four-month-old cookies on them. But if your creativity can turn reindeer into a non-related species, I say go for it.

by Anonymousreply 74April 30, 2021 1:21 AM

Smooooches r59.

I go back and forth on whether to renew my "Vanity Fair" digital subscription.

by Anonymousreply 75April 30, 2021 1:50 AM

It's that time again girls. See ya in the morning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76April 30, 2021 3:26 AM

[quote]Hitler salute, R22?

Odd. That isn't the photo I initially posted. The one I posted was a close-up of Johnny in his mouse ears, with Jimmie and Roy in the background.

by Anonymousreply 77April 30, 2021 5:03 AM

^^ Terribly sorry. That was meant for the "Johnny Crawford is dead to me" thread. ^^

by Anonymousreply 78April 30, 2021 5:07 AM

I use an 2015 iPad Pro as my primary computer. The screen had became intermittently unresponsive last year, but I was determined to wait for the new model which went on sale today for delivery in a few weeks. I’d been waiting so long, I ordered one as soon as I could, but now that I think about it, my 6-year-old one has been working pretty well recently. I’m getting $260 credit for turning it in, but I’m torn.

by Anonymousreply 79April 30, 2021 4:24 PM

^Sorry—some last minute insertions rendered that ungrammatical.

by Anonymousreply 80April 30, 2021 4:25 PM

I just had to clean my rug. Hairball. The cat almost didn’t make it. Most of the vomit was on the hardwood, but she gallantly managed to get the final bits onto the rug.

by Anonymousreply 81April 30, 2021 6:44 PM

r73 here; the new lightbulbs matched. I was greatly relieved. It would have been overwhelming if they hadn’t.

by Anonymousreply 82April 30, 2021 10:40 PM

I just sneezed.

by Anonymousreply 83April 30, 2021 10:49 PM

Dear Arlene Dahl,

I have the most unsightly bulge around my crotch area that pokes right through my dresses. Would you suggest tucking it in, stuffing it deep into my anus or wearing a full skirt with a frilly petticoat underneath it? Please do tell.

Kisses For You & You From......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 1, 2021 2:00 AM

That’s pretty whelming, r84. Are you sure you’re in the right place?

by Anonymousreply 85May 1, 2021 2:26 AM

R85, the fact that you're overwhelmed by a totally random Sears Fashion segment from 1970 is whelming me.

by Anonymousreply 86May 1, 2021 3:07 AM

The lovely Arlene Dahl, actress and former national beauty adviser for Sears, is still with us at age 95.

by Anonymousreply 87May 1, 2021 3:30 AM

It’s Saturday and I’m having left over bbq lamb for lunch. I opened a bottle of wine to go with it and it was corked. Now I’m not interested in lunch at all.

by Anonymousreply 88May 1, 2021 3:59 AM

Yes, R87. This interview is from about 10 years ago, but even then Ms. Dahl was still sharp as a tack! It's AMAZING how she had complete command of the dates, times, names & movies, etc related to her career & social life from over 60 years ago!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 1, 2021 4:00 AM

Hopefully this isn't too "whelming" but will someone break this down for me. I was under the impression that this was a topic of randomness. Like "The Official Random" threads we used to have here back in the day. DL's junk drawer. Where you could post just about anything that was on your mind at the moment.

Others are using this topic to really be underwhelmed. Like for instance.................

"My roommate literally watches Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives for hours ......"

or "Tomorrow I think I will get that mani/pedi I've been putting off."

So, which is it? Randomness or Boring Randomness?

by Anonymousreply 90May 1, 2021 4:13 AM

Neither. Just don’t whelm.

by Anonymousreply 91May 1, 2021 5:29 AM

First, do no whelm.

by Anonymousreply 92May 1, 2021 5:29 AM

[quote]So, which is it? Randomness or Boring Randomness?

Strict rules about what makes for an appropriate post would be whelming and defeat the entire purpose of these threads.

by Anonymousreply 93May 1, 2021 6:19 AM

R90 If you whelm, you’ll know soon enough.

Trust us on this.

by Anonymousreply 94May 1, 2021 11:20 AM

r56 Never! I bought a 3.5 pound 32" long axe and chopped it out with flip flops on. Almost chopped my foot off at one point. It was surprisingly dangerous, large flying splinters too. And a hand blister.

So for another tree on property I also need goggles, steel tip boots, and might as well go full tight jeans (Jorts?) and flannel shirt and maybe a sharp yellow helmet. Still cheaper than renting a stump grinder, and I get to keep the costume.

It was maybe 12 feet tall, the stump was maybe two feet wide, no biggie, took two days, maybe three hours. I had to chop wood as a kid, and I'm still pretty good with an axe after a 35 year break. It's like hitting a baseball.

I did not get all the root out, but mulched over it and it's gone. In retrospect, I would recommend this to nobody, and I'm sure the stump grinder is the way to go. I just wanted to buy an axe.

by Anonymousreply 95May 1, 2021 3:49 PM

r90 I just wrote like ten paragraphs about chopping out a tree stump. I think more than random, it NEEDS to be very boring. Mundane. A reminder that YOUR life (or OP) is possibly more interesting and exciting than mine, or all our lives are mostly boring.

I think it's supposed to be like the opposite of calling your friend the party animal and asking what exciting stuff happened last night.

by Anonymousreply 96May 1, 2021 3:54 PM

I think a bit of excitement is okay, but be prepared to be accused of whelming. In the end, what does it matter if someone claims to be whelmed? First, they’re probably lying. Second, what are they going to do about it? Call the whelming police?

by Anonymousreply 97May 1, 2021 4:18 PM

Zoom interview completed. While everyone was in an office, they dressed like shit.

I always think I’ll bring my upbeat personality and can-do spirit into a dying environment. Thank god I keep my mouth shut.

by Anonymousreply 98May 1, 2021 5:17 PM

I just ordered a pizza to be delivered. It's pretty good...from a local chain that uses much better cheese than most. I got extra cheese on one half, and fresh mozzarella on the other half.

by Anonymousreply 99May 1, 2021 5:32 PM

Chain pizza? Tut tut.

by Anonymousreply 100May 1, 2021 5:34 PM

Best delivery pizza is the point. The why-I-don't-want-to-go-out details would whelm.

by Anonymousreply 101May 1, 2021 5:40 PM

I really should get off the couch and do something.

by Anonymousreply 102May 1, 2021 5:40 PM

I tried that earlier today and soon regretted it, R102.

by Anonymousreply 103May 1, 2021 5:42 PM

Local pizza joints deliver.

by Anonymousreply 104May 1, 2021 6:07 PM

It [bold]is[/bold] a local pizza joint, r104. With three other locations than the one I ordered from. I live in a city.

by Anonymousreply 105May 1, 2021 6:14 PM

I’m heading to Trader Joe’s. Getting low on frozen dinners.

by Anonymousreply 106May 1, 2021 9:26 PM

I forgot the passcode for my Kindle.

I'm not sleepy.

by Anonymousreply 107May 2, 2021 2:51 AM

There are people who are wrong on Twitter - showing examples of Jugendstil, Art Nouveau, and Art Moderne under the heading “Art Deco”. I don’t smack or shake people and I also no longer throw things at them. I’m fine.

by Anonymousreply 108May 2, 2021 11:45 AM

There are people who are wrong on Twitter??? Now I need to lie back down.

by Anonymousreply 109May 2, 2021 12:29 PM

I need to buy a new roof for my house. Shit!

I know where my stimulus money is going -- and then $$$ome.

by Anonymousreply 110May 2, 2021 12:32 PM

I bought a bag of crispy chicken strips to cook in my air fryer.

I also had corn on the cob.

Call me Popeye Jr.

by Anonymousreply 111May 2, 2021 12:50 PM

One bakery in the village shut early and the other one was completely out of rolls at 11am and wasn't making anymore for the day. I am too lazy to drive into the city to find rolls. I will not be having sandwiches today - only hatred for this place.

by Anonymousreply 112May 2, 2021 12:54 PM

On the horns of a true dilemma here: which bank's ATM should I use today?

by Anonymousreply 113May 2, 2021 12:56 PM

I bought PG Tips tea in target. I know it’s the bestselling tea in Britain. I’m not impressed. I like Barry’s better.

by Anonymousreply 114May 2, 2021 6:28 PM

I had the WORST Thai food last night.

by Anonymousreply 115May 2, 2021 8:29 PM

The dark blue waves, the white turbulence, the sunshine, the pale blue skies all on live TV from Western Australia World Surf League is whelming me.

I'm being hypnotized. It's as though the visuals are a soothing tonic.

by Anonymousreply 116May 3, 2021 1:32 AM

Willy Guhl planter. A toilet.

by Anonymousreply 117May 3, 2021 4:49 AM

I’ve figured out that viral TickTock feta pasta recipe. Here’s my tip: double the sauce. Very important.

by Anonymousreply 118May 3, 2021 1:11 PM

I went to the dentist last week and had a cavity filled in my upper left molar. This was a new dental practice; my former one is out of network for my dental plan.

The dentist was great but when he was drilling the upper molar, the drill was resting on the gum on my lower teeth. Now I have this intermittent, stabbing pain in my neck. I'm not sure if they're related but I have a cleaning on the 18th at the same place. I also have a Dr's appointment on Friday. I'll mention it to her and see what she says. The cleaning will decide if they are my new dental practice or if I should keep looking.

by Anonymousreply 119May 3, 2021 1:36 PM

I've decided to be more judicious with my WW's and more generous with my FF's.

by Anonymousreply 120May 4, 2021 1:34 AM

No more wine in the house after tonight's glass. Much internal debate whether to buy white or red tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 121May 4, 2021 1:37 AM

You could buy a bottle of each, R121. Although I guess you probably didn't need me to point this out to you.

by Anonymousreply 122May 4, 2021 2:15 AM

This Frank's RedHot Seasoning Blend was actually a good buy. It's basically hot sauce in powdered form. So far I've had a few dashes of the Original flavor on a turkey burger, roasted brussels sprouts & mac & cheese. Each time it was delicious. Worth a try if you'd like a hint of spice that's a little more well rounded than just plain cayenne powder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 4, 2021 4:53 AM

I may ask my mom to show me how to fold fitted sheets today!

by Anonymousreply 124May 4, 2021 4:48 PM

Good luck, R124! I’ve tried several ways, including using the seams to turn a fitted into a flat sheet. I still say it’s a 2-person job.

by Anonymousreply 125May 4, 2021 5:19 PM

My solution is to own only one fitted sheet at a time. It is either on the bed or in the wash, never folded.

by Anonymousreply 126May 4, 2021 5:25 PM

That has been my plan until now, but I may need to actually fold some sheets in future.

by Anonymousreply 127May 4, 2021 5:28 PM

[quote]I still say it’s a 2-person job.

I find that it can quite easily be a one-person job, as long as you truly don't care whether it's neatly folded or not. I'm just going to stuff it into a drawer anyway. Out of sight, out of mind.

by Anonymousreply 128May 4, 2021 6:10 PM

There are levels of whelm-ness:

Overwhelmed

Whelmed (neutral)

Underwhelmed

I have stepped down from Overwhelmed to Whelmed. Am I allowed to be here?

by Anonymousreply 129May 4, 2021 7:45 PM

We are not concerned with how you are feeling. We are concerned with how what you post makes us feel. Around here, “whelmed” is not neutral (whatever that means).

by Anonymousreply 130May 4, 2021 9:15 PM

I am considering eggs for dinner. But I cannot decide.

by Anonymousreply 131May 4, 2021 9:17 PM

I used my Fasta Pasta last night to make dinner and I have no idea what I did with the lid.

I am bereft.

by Anonymousreply 132May 5, 2021 12:04 AM

Pepto Bismol Chews are surprisingly yummy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133May 5, 2021 12:17 AM

My old cat let me clip his dew claws. The key was to approach as underwhelmed, so he only got mini-whelmed. He's snoozing now.

by Anonymousreply 134May 5, 2021 6:48 AM

REO Speedwagon wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't for that lead singer's whiny voice.

by Anonymousreply 135May 5, 2021 7:11 AM

I splurged on a Papa Murphy's Chicago Style Stuffed Crust pizza tonight. No pepperoni, Canadian bacon instead. I was nearly whelmed with anticipation, but not quite. It was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 136May 5, 2021 9:55 AM

I was able to run all of my errands at one shopping center today.

by Anonymousreply 137May 5, 2021 8:38 PM

Costco was a zoo today. A zoo!

by Anonymousreply 138May 5, 2021 9:20 PM

I purchased coffee and ham at the supermarket today!

by Anonymousreply 139May 5, 2021 10:26 PM

I’ve got the trots!

by Anonymousreply 140May 5, 2021 10:30 PM

I wonder if Gelson's Potato Salad is as good as they say?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141May 5, 2021 10:32 PM

Before I put the clothes in the washing machine, I sniffed my boyfriend's funky drawers.

by Anonymousreply 142May 5, 2021 10:34 PM

I love my bf’s used socks and underwear.

by Anonymousreply 143May 5, 2021 10:35 PM

A recipe for Gelson's Caesar Potato Salad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144May 5, 2021 10:38 PM

[quote]I wonder if Gelson's Potato Salad is as good as they say?

It's even better!

by Anonymousreply 145May 6, 2021 12:25 AM

I love anchovy! Just need to substitute scallion for celery (and buy a mixer).

by Anonymousreply 146May 6, 2021 1:10 AM

Why do people in TV and movies never have protective covers on their iPhones?

by Anonymousreply 147May 6, 2021 3:25 AM

I'd like to rip that girl apart, so I can see what makes her tick!

by Anonymousreply 148May 6, 2021 3:36 AM

Every time I've gone into the office during the pandemic, I've walked to the same deli and ordered the same menu item for lunch. Today, on my 40th visit, I tried a new menu item.

by Anonymousreply 149May 6, 2021 3:45 AM

I just poured myself a glass of soda water and it was flat. Seems about right.

by Anonymousreply 150May 6, 2021 10:31 AM

I'm tired

by Anonymousreply 151May 6, 2021 10:37 AM

Eavesdropping On A Neighbor. In my defense, he’s most likely partially deaf and yells into the telephone. He’s also very stupid.

He wants $2,000 of the child tax credit for each of his two children. On his first call, he somehow got connected to a human at the IRS and explained that his girlfriend has six kids and two of them are his. That call did not go well.

He is now yelling at his tax preparer and promising to follow through to get his money that he deserves for these children and they are not being helpful and, no, he does not have documents stating he is head of household because she lives with another guy, and he’s having a tough time living in a shitty apartment building (TRUE, he lives here and has the musical taste of a fourteen year-old boy into white-boy rap). He’s also a gamer and holy fuck, I hate him.

Oh, dear. He’s not actually yelling into the phone and may actually be listening....Now, he’s giving them information. No, I’m not writing down his social security number and I didn’t catch his name. What an asshole.

This doesn’t count as whelming because it’s the second time I’ve heard him try to get money for his poor children.

by Anonymousreply 152May 6, 2021 5:45 PM

Don't keep us in suspense, R149... what new item did you purchase?

by Anonymousreply 153May 6, 2021 7:51 PM

Ann Sheridan: "Roz Russell is hard as nails...She came up the hard way, and it shows."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154May 6, 2021 8:18 PM

I made a cauliflower gratin last night with bacon, mushroom, heavy cream and gruyere cheese. It was ok but I had to sop up the layer of grease on top with half a roll of paper towels.

by Anonymousreply 155May 6, 2021 8:47 PM

Did you cook the bacon first, r155?

by Anonymousreply 156May 6, 2021 9:02 PM

I agree R156. Although the cheese could have been a little greasy, it sounds like the bacon wasn't rendered beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 157May 6, 2021 9:07 PM

Tea lovers - I just splurged and ordered various black teas from Harney and Sons. Is this money well spent?

by Anonymousreply 158May 6, 2021 10:43 PM

I’m soaking a batch of split peas overnight. I tried the quicker boil&simmer routine for lunch and they were al dente. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 159May 6, 2021 10:49 PM

Arm & Hammer makes 40 different types of cat litter. WTF? How are you supposed to decide? Even if you narrow it down to “Clump & Seal,” there are 11 different types of that.

by Anonymousreply 160May 6, 2021 10:53 PM

R160, I loved pine litter because it was lighter. Sweeping up was more of a hassle and my woodworking projects gave my boys an excuse to shit anywhere sawdust collected, but it was easier to scoop up and toss.

by Anonymousreply 161May 6, 2021 10:59 PM

Costco just send me $5.00 because they accidentally charged sales tax on facial tissues. Woo-hoo!

by Anonymousreply 162May 6, 2021 11:20 PM

I mailed Mother's Day gifts to an old friend and to my sister. The post office tracker says they were received, but no word from either lady. I don't know about you, but even if I don't feel like writing a big thank you note yet, I at least always text the sender to let the know the package arrived: "Well, well, what is THIS!" etc.

Hmph.

by Anonymousreply 163May 8, 2021 12:10 PM

My job requires me to travel all over the country and when doing so I stay in (2 to 4 star) hotels. It's amazing how any particular hotel chain can be a total rundown dump in one city but a fairly nice property in another city.

Actually, in some cities a hotel brand may be nice in one part of town but a total nightmare in another part of town. Absolutely no consistency whatsoever. It just goes to show that these hotel brands will slap their name on anything with no attention to quality.

by Anonymousreply 164May 8, 2021 6:43 PM

Got notification that my Mother’s Day flower order to my stepmother will be arriving on Tuesday instead of this weekend. I called up and bitched, and got $13.95 as compensation. Not bad, and it’s fine if it’s late. It’s only my stepmother, after all.

by Anonymousreply 165May 8, 2021 6:58 PM

[quote]Not bad, and it’s fine if it’s late. It’s only my stepmother, after all.

Is she a wicked stepmother?

by Anonymousreply 166May 8, 2021 7:01 PM

As a veteran frequent traveler, agreed that some properties of a brand are better than others!

My news from today was that I couldn't decide on a brand of napkins, but talked myself into slightly more for Bounty over store brand!

My step-grandmother was very nice to my family and my uncle's as well. My mother's sister wants nothing to do with her father's (second) family, which is a shame.

by Anonymousreply 167May 8, 2021 7:04 PM

I'm making green smoothies everyday with basically a whole cornucopia of greens and fruit. It's making me so hard and horny all the time. I'm getting spontaneous boners which is an unexpected side effect of celery juice I guess. It's kind of nice.

by Anonymousreply 168May 8, 2021 7:10 PM

R168, you just reminded me of a FWB (Friend With Benefits) that I've had off and on for nearly a decade. A hot vet nurse from NYC. He's only 5'6 but has a smoking hot ripped body and one of the most rotund, fattest, girthiest cocks I've ever had the privilege of having. He's a daily, fanatical juicer. The MF is ALWAYS horny and squirts the thickest, creamiest ropes of cum ever. I never contributed it to his juicing but now it all makes sense!

He's currently upset with me over a silly misunderstanding and we haven't been speaking much over the last few months. I miss him & and I'll be BEGGING his forgiveness TODAY! Thank You!

by Anonymousreply 169May 8, 2021 7:46 PM

I'd like to bowl. Again. It's been decades.

But I don't own bowling shoes.

by Anonymousreply 170May 9, 2021 4:36 PM

[quote]But I don't own bowling shoes.

Don't bowling alleys rent shoes anymore? Admittedly, the idea of putting on shoes many others have worn is rather whelming.

by Anonymousreply 171May 9, 2021 4:41 PM

R166 She's a very nice stepmother. She did inherit all of Dad's money, but I made my peace with that a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 172May 9, 2021 4:54 PM

I'm not sure, r171.

Maybe lanes owners don't require bowling shoes anymore.

by Anonymousreply 173May 9, 2021 5:01 PM

I want to start dating again, but I feel that in order to have a successful relationship, you need to have everything in your life flowing smoothly. I'm building a small business and I know my income is going to fluctuate, so I am going to wait. Relationships/dating are stressful enough in the best of times that I need to make sure I am more secure financially before I get on all the dating apps. I'm not lonely but the clock is ticking big time.

by Anonymousreply 174May 9, 2021 5:05 PM

I texted my sister a happy Mother's Day greeting but she probably won't see it. The boomer women in my life rarely look at their phones. She would love if I "picked up the phone" and had a conversation but that's too whelming for me right now – she's a talker. I always have to block out an hour for listening. At least not many replies are required of me (an occasional mm-hmm or oh wow), and I can move around and do other tasks while she talks. Still, I have to be in the mood.

by Anonymousreply 175May 9, 2021 5:19 PM

[quote]The boomer women in my life rarely look at their phones.

This gay male boomer is the same way. I usually forget to turn my phone back on after a class or lecture, and when I do, I often find a couple of texts and missed calls. I never learned to live on my phone. Anything internet, I'd rather use my computer. Hardly anyone wants to talk on the phone anymore, so I don't feel I'm missing much.

My friends know the best way to reach me is to email me.

by Anonymousreply 176May 9, 2021 5:31 PM

R176 Yes, the boomer ladies I refer to are the same way. Email is good for them, but a phone call is best. Do you enjoy talking on the phone? I'm a late-boomer myself but I did make the switch; I love texting and cringe when an actual call comes in.

Oh, and the gals LOVE Facebook (which I refuse to do).

by Anonymousreply 177May 9, 2021 5:40 PM

[quote]Do you enjoy talking on the phone? I'm a late-boomer myself but I did make the switch; I love texting and cringe when an actual call comes in.

I like talking on the phone with someone else who likes to talk on the phone. A lot of people don't anymore, so I don't bother. In direct contradiction to the cliche that millennials only text, one of my favorite phone talkers was born in the late '80s. We were on the phone last night for over two hours.

I have another friend I speak with on the phone for an hour or so every week.

Overall, I liked talking on the phone more pre-digital phones. A landline today doesn't have the same sound as a home phone used to, back before we called them landlines.

The smartphone is mostly a machine for texting. I accept that, just as I accept mostly no bookstores, mostly no CD stores, mostly no department stores, and so on. Amazon and Apple uber alles.

by Anonymousreply 178May 9, 2021 5:50 PM

My straight friends at 40 are already talking about divorce. The husband works, makes the money, the wife stays home with the kids. The wife feels under appreciated, stuck at home with the kids, especially during the pandemic and then withholds sex. The husband feels he's making all the money and should have the free time to golf and the wife should handle the household. This cliche cycle keeps repeating itself from boomers, to Gen X, to now old millennials or very young Gen X. Like it or not, there are still traditional masculine and feminine roles. It makes me sad to see that this tired trope keeps happening. I can remember my friends in love, having fun. I don't want to see divorces and children dragged this again and again, creating another generation of damaged people.

by Anonymousreply 179May 9, 2021 5:52 PM

I have a couple of friends who still like to talk on the phone, but they are also friends who like to talk, if you know what I mean. If I get a call from one of them, or return a call, I can count on being kept on the phone for at least an hour, sometimes two hours. No wonder I prefer emails and texts.

by Anonymousreply 180May 9, 2021 6:11 PM

he has sopped working on my keyboard. Everhing else is fine, i's jus he leer *. Apple wan £230 o replace he keyboard, which I really don' wan o pay. Wha should I do?

by Anonymousreply 181May 9, 2021 6:20 PM

R180 Many of the people I’m close to in life are big talkers. I mean they will hold forth indefinitely, and you’re lucky to get a word in edgewise. As they get older they get worse, and as I get older I get less willing to tolerate it.

by Anonymousreply 182May 9, 2021 6:47 PM

R181 get a plug n play keyboard.

by Anonymousreply 183May 9, 2021 7:16 PM

Watching TCM. In pajamas.

by Anonymousreply 184May 9, 2021 7:17 PM

I opted for regular yellow mustard instead of Dijon on my turkey burger. Regular yellow is underrated sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 185May 9, 2021 7:37 PM

I spent most of the weekend binge-watching Drop Dead Diva on StarzEncoreClassic. The guy that played Grayson was pretty handsome in the beginning. By the 5th season, he'd hit a wall.

by Anonymousreply 186May 10, 2021 12:50 PM

Kittenzilla is into everything today. Counter and desk jumping. Plant nibbling and trying to eat a dead fly from my planter. Currently he is nibbling on the corner of my couch pillow.

by Anonymousreply 187May 10, 2021 5:49 PM

I think I may be allergic to the fragrance in the “unscented” kitty litter.

by Anonymousreply 188May 10, 2021 5:57 PM

Mom, you were right again. Candy corn & dry roasted peanuts together taste identical to Payday Bars.

by Anonymousreply 189May 11, 2021 2:12 AM

Why do people on the East Coast think it’s fine to text at hours when us West Coasters are likely asleep? Yes, I have my phone silenced but still.

by Anonymousreply 190May 11, 2021 12:15 PM

Watching Futurama on Comedy Central, trying to reduce my anxiety about going to the dentist.

by Anonymousreply 191May 11, 2021 1:18 PM

my 81 yr old cousin gave me her flight details so i could pick her up. at the end of the email she signed off "See you next Tuesday!" ... i giggled out loud , GOL!

by Anonymousreply 192May 11, 2021 2:02 PM

I have to go back to the dentist today at 1:15 pm. I'm not sure if the dentist filled my cavity or if he put so much amalgam on the tooth that he drilled all of it out. The dentist is a rather old man. I've had pain in that tooth for about a week and will be happy to have it finally fixed.

I also have a cleaning scheduled at this same practice. Today's work will determine if they are my new dentist or if I need to keep looking. I loved my former dental practice but they are out of network and charge higher prices for all services. I always wound up paying out of pocket expenses.

by Anonymousreply 193May 11, 2021 3:28 PM

I like to tell my cat “Every time you lick me, I wash my hands. I wash my hands!” like I’m Bette Davis in Of Human Bondage

by Anonymousreply 194May 11, 2021 4:01 PM

I'm back from the dentist. All bad news. Shit. It's 11:15 am and I'm gonna have a drink.

by Anonymousreply 195May 11, 2021 4:20 PM

I bought seedless raspberry jam. It's no good.

by Anonymousreply 196May 11, 2021 5:53 PM

I agree, R196, and it seems that seeded raspberry jam is becoming harder to find, at least at the stores where I shop. There are many more varieties of seedless raspberry jam/preserves.

by Anonymousreply 197May 11, 2021 6:12 PM

I bought 'seedless grapes' -- they were not seedless.

by Anonymousreply 198May 11, 2021 6:32 PM

R198 that always happens! Unless they are green, seedless grapes are a scam!!

by Anonymousreply 199May 11, 2021 6:47 PM

R199 They were green! That's why I was surprised. And what's up with seedless watermelon? What are the little white seeds if not seeds?

by Anonymousreply 200May 11, 2021 6:49 PM

Let’s face it. Seedy is more fun.

by Anonymousreply 201May 11, 2021 6:50 PM

Sorry about your dental woes, R191! I got back from my visit at 2 pm ET. He evened out my bite (I'm a grinder, apparently).

I'm not sure if this was the same dentist but I liked today's guy much better. He actually spoke to me and didn't grunt like the guy did at the 4/28 visit. I have a cleaning scheduled for 5/18. Once I see how that goes, I'll make a decision about whether or not this practice will be my regular office.

by Anonymousreply 202May 11, 2021 7:42 PM

Thanks, R202. I had my drink (or two) and slept the afternoon away. I feel better now but I know I'm going to feel bad in the morning!

by Anonymousreply 203May 12, 2021 1:02 AM

I watched several episodes of "Dateline NBC" & "Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air" on VH1 the other day. I repeat, "Dateline NBC" & "Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air on VH1!

I'm so old that I still remember when VH1 was considered the tame, Adult Contemporary/Soft Rock companion to MTV. And Rosie O'Donnell & Rita Coolidge were VJs!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204May 12, 2021 1:15 AM

Ivory dishwashing liquid was on sale so I bought a bottle. I dislike its scent and regret the purchase.

by Anonymousreply 205May 13, 2021 3:46 AM

You may dislike the scent, R205, but you'll be blessed with softer, younger-looking hands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206May 13, 2021 4:03 AM

I made french toast with wheat bread for dinner, but I don’t keep syrup. I heated up sugar-free applesauce so I could dissolve sugar and ground clove in it.

I could be a permanently irate restaurateur! I already obsessively wash my hands when working with raw egg.

by Anonymousreply 207May 13, 2021 5:38 AM

My new iPad Pro has shipped!

by Anonymousreply 208May 13, 2021 6:20 AM

The steam and sauna opened at the gym. I have a year of toxins that are stored up and I am sweating like the cliched whore in church. I just gushing sweat even after the shower. And then face lotion makes me sweat even more and then I have to rewash and re-moisturize when I get home, when I should be shower fresh. I should take it slow but I feel so good afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 209May 13, 2021 6:30 AM

Fuck—it’s going to take 8 days.

by Anonymousreply 210May 13, 2021 9:28 AM

R207 French toast made with wheat bread leaves me underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 211May 13, 2021 12:56 PM

"HAPPY FRIDAAAAY! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEEEEND!" - the school crossing guard down the street to each passing car, top of her lungs as per ushe. Yes, I cut her slack when she hollered that I was looking good, but now I'm back to being whelmed by this commotion three times a day (audible a block away, through closed windows). Humbug!

by Anonymousreply 212May 14, 2021 7:01 PM

I’m planting stuff. It’s exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 213May 14, 2021 8:29 PM

R212, I’m slightly surprised you don’t yell back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214May 14, 2021 8:33 PM

R212 I'm enjoying your comments regarding your passive/agressive relationship with the crossing guard. Please be careful to not become whelmed if not overwhelmed...

by Anonymousreply 215May 14, 2021 8:41 PM

Assembling a bookcase from Home Depot looks to be the highlight of my day.

by Anonymousreply 216May 15, 2021 11:25 AM

The guy who changes the oil and sharpens the blades on my lawn tractor told me not to cut the grass when it's damp.

Of a kind with r211.

by Anonymousreply 217May 15, 2021 11:34 AM

Wheat bread has too much character, causing it to overwhelm the subtle flavor of French toast. I prefer spongy white bread, which has the added benefit of absorbing the batter like, well, a sponge, giving it a custard-like consistency.

by Anonymousreply 218May 15, 2021 4:39 PM

The fat Chinese teller at the Credit Union was grumpy this morning as is her custom.

It hardly registers any more, let alone underwhelms.

OTOH, I got a parking space just across the street from the CU’s front door.

by Anonymousreply 219May 15, 2021 5:27 PM

Last night I revisited “Naked Gun.” It held up hilariously. Such good, stupid fun. Everybody laughed at the same dumb stuff back then. Leslie Nielsen was a treasure.

by Anonymousreply 220May 15, 2021 5:31 PM

Surely, you can't be serious, r220.

by Anonymousreply 221May 15, 2021 5:36 PM

I am, why not?

by Anonymousreply 222May 15, 2021 5:52 PM

I think that was your cue to say "And don't call me Shirley," R222.

by Anonymousreply 223May 15, 2021 6:41 PM

R223 Dammit, it was teed right up for me. Although technically that line was from “Airplane!” Which I also re-watched a few weeks ago and which also holds up.

by Anonymousreply 224May 15, 2021 6:48 PM

Earlier this afternoon, I transplanted ajuga.

by Anonymousreply 225May 15, 2021 6:50 PM

Seedless raspberry jam lacks the fruit fiber so it is more like jelly. Nobody wants raspberry jelly or it would already be a thing from way back.

by Anonymousreply 226May 15, 2021 8:07 PM

I loved the show Police Squad!

by Anonymousreply 227May 15, 2021 8:42 PM

I just learned a weird little fact. Elayne Boosler the comedian is married to Bill Siddons, the onetime manager of the Doors.

by Anonymousreply 228May 16, 2021 1:14 AM

Wow. I hadn't thought about Elayne Boosler in years.

by Anonymousreply 229May 16, 2021 4:13 AM

Elayne never got enough credit for being a female male stand-up in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 230May 16, 2021 2:22 PM

Kind of a cool marriage for her to have made.

by Anonymousreply 231May 16, 2021 2:30 PM

I'm watching The Office again. The American version. I've seen every episode in the series often but I still flip to it whenever it's on cable. It calms me.

by Anonymousreply 232May 16, 2021 2:56 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a complete episode of The Office.

by Anonymousreply 233May 16, 2021 5:17 PM

R233 Me either. Or neither. Nor have I?

by Anonymousreply 234May 16, 2021 5:29 PM

I made blueberry pancakes this morning, using frozen wild blueberries from Maine. I enjoyed them.

by Anonymousreply 235May 16, 2021 5:31 PM

R235 Sounds really good. Syrup? I like them with just butter.

by Anonymousreply 236May 16, 2021 6:24 PM

Yes, maple syrup, R236. Actual maple syrup, not flavored corn syrup. I remember that my mother used just butter, not syrup, on hers.

by Anonymousreply 237May 16, 2021 6:38 PM

My day was complete when I discovered they had spicey (sic) mango Pickapeppa sauce in stock at the supermarket!

by Anonymousreply 238May 16, 2021 8:07 PM

I’m prepping salmon steaks I’ve soaked in milk and reliving memories of “Creature From The Black Lagoon”.

I’m not a big fan of fish that’s not square, breaded, and fried, but it’s what I have and it’s supposed to be good for me.

by Anonymousreply 239May 16, 2021 8:50 PM

What does soaking them in milk do?

by Anonymousreply 240May 16, 2021 8:52 PM

Protein in the milk kills some of the oil and make it less stinky/oily.

My mom served fish one night right after we’d seen a creature feature - with people brutally stabbing the creature and showing fishy insides.

by Anonymousreply 241May 16, 2021 8:58 PM

Christopher Kimball's Milk Street cooking show on PBS this morning was about how to bake salmon with dill but I missed the part where they showed how too do it but they kept saying it was really simple and retained the protein. I just saw them eating it. I don't like the sight of salmon but this looked really good. They served it with some kind of English cucumber/vinegar/and dill salad.

That's all I have to report. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 242May 16, 2021 9:28 PM

I hate the way baked salmon "sweats" that white stuff. Does soaking it in milk help with that?

by Anonymousreply 243May 16, 2021 10:58 PM

Yes, it did. The instructions said I didn’t have to rinse, but I rinsed and patted it dry. The stink didn’t overtake my kitchenette while cooking it. I ate tangerines after lunch and that’s the main odor now.

Salmon steak is a careful meal - I was picking bones out of my mouth even after I thought I’d pulled them.

by Anonymousreply 244May 16, 2021 11:09 PM

I forgot to include the first page of my state tax return. Oops.

by Anonymousreply 245May 17, 2021 10:00 PM

I don't care who "You're So Vain" is about.

by Anonymousreply 246May 18, 2021 12:02 AM

My "no no hooks" arrived today, so I was able to put up a set of blackout curtains, over the existing installed DO NOT REMOVE blinds, in the bedroom of my new apartment successfully!

by Anonymousreply 247May 18, 2021 8:16 PM

A few days before I achieved full immunity, I fell down the stairs saving my cat. Now I'm in a cast with a broken ankle, recently operated on, for six weeks at least.

I thought I'd get to have some freedom and fun at last. Guess not.

Cat is fine, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 248May 18, 2021 8:27 PM

Saving your cat from what?

by Anonymousreply 249May 18, 2021 10:10 PM

From escape into oncoming traffic...

by Anonymousreply 250May 18, 2021 10:35 PM

So sorry R248. I slipped ever so slightly in late 2019 and broke my ankle badly, requiring two surgeries. Just now beginning to feel really normal. It sucks, but at least my long recovery coincided with lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 251May 18, 2021 10:44 PM

R248 God bless you. I hope you have a good recovery.

by Anonymousreply 252May 18, 2021 10:45 PM

Thanks.

The lesson here for me was, if I had just been a bit slower and more deliberate, I still would have saved the cat just fine. I didn't need to rush down the stairs after him.

But - it's easy to tell that to myself now, when it was early in the morning grog and the chase was unexpected, from my normally very chill cat.

by Anonymousreply 253May 18, 2021 10:50 PM

Don't know how old you are, but since my ankle mishap I have officially entered my "scared of steps" years. I descend slowly, like an old geezer, holding on for dear life.

by Anonymousreply 254May 18, 2021 10:56 PM

The Soviet Union was bound to fall. It was sitting right on the edge of the Earth!

by Anonymousreply 255May 18, 2021 10:57 PM

The Soviet Union was bound to fall. It was sitting right on the edge of 1955!

Except by then it was 1991.

by Anonymousreply 256May 18, 2021 10:59 PM

OK, loud obnoxious unemployed neighbor who spent countless hours fighting with the IRS, Jackson Hewitt, and his girlfriend about the $4,000 he is owed for fathering two children... has now had his credit card stolen.

He spent the weekend yelling at the credit card rep and now he’s yelling threats at every vendor. It reminds me of my homeless folks who lost their phone and EBT card every month.

I still haven’t seen the fucker, but he talks and snores like a big fat person.

by Anonymousreply 257May 18, 2021 11:11 PM

The police came and hung emergency no parking signs in from of my house and my neighbor’s house. I wonder what’s going on?

by Anonymousreply 258May 18, 2021 11:27 PM

Are workers protesting your CEO salary, R258?

by Anonymousreply 259May 18, 2021 11:32 PM

Did everyone buy a motorcycle recently? It's all I hear going by my window, and it's fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 260May 18, 2021 11:43 PM

It's been almost 25 years and I'm STILL disgusted by Angelina Jolie's hideous mullet wig in "Gia". The real Gia Carangi (even on her trashiest heroin binge) would have NEVER!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261May 18, 2021 11:59 PM

Some of you are sounding [italic]over[/italic]whelmed. You're overwhelming me, at least.

by Anonymousreply 262May 19, 2021 12:42 AM

I agree r262. I might meed a xanax...

by Anonymousreply 263May 19, 2021 12:57 AM

R263, I know I do.

by Anonymousreply 264May 19, 2021 1:24 AM

Found a q-tip and two lollipop sticks under my area rug. And blue m&m.

by Anonymousreply 265May 19, 2021 1:57 AM

Is it a cat?

by Anonymousreply 266May 19, 2021 2:10 AM

In John Kobal's "People Will Talk", Jean Louis revealed that he also designed a gorgeous sleeveless white fur which was meant to be worn over his iconic "Gilda" gown for Rita Hayworth. He expressed regret that they (the film's director) only used it to be dragged across the floor and quickly tossed aside.

How I wish I could see the original intended look with the coat over the dress and those long gloves. Surely there's a publicity shot somewhere out there, but I've never seen it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267May 19, 2021 2:14 AM

This latest fresh broccoli I bought from the store was even filthier than usual and infested with small bugs. After soaking it overnight, I cut it into small pieces this morning and rinsed/washed/drained it THREE additional times.

I just had some (eating it raw & dipping it in hummus) and I'll be damned if it's not still full of bugs! Damn it I'm overwhelmed!

by Anonymousreply 268May 19, 2021 2:48 AM

You thought you could wash away the bugs? Ew.

by Anonymousreply 269May 19, 2021 3:56 AM

If it came from the garden you would wash the bugs off. The one time I grew broccoli it was tallish and had one baby broccoli tree in the centre. Not very prolific but I did eat the little bastard.

by Anonymousreply 270May 19, 2021 4:08 AM

As one does... I’ve invested in broccolini that had bugs. I didn’t bother taking it back since it was in the organic section. Plus, I try not to talk to people in grocery stores - especially at curtesy counters.

by Anonymousreply 271May 19, 2021 4:11 AM

Your grocery stores have curtsy counters?

by Anonymousreply 272May 19, 2021 4:34 AM

Mine has a cutesy counter. Hot butcher. Sooooo hot. Oh dear, now I am whelmed in the nether regions.

by Anonymousreply 273May 19, 2021 4:46 AM

Where I shop, just in the dairy aisle alone, we first encounter the cunty counter (a Trump fan who does the cheese, butter, and yogurt) then the cutey counter (the hunky strapping Brazilian boys who just keep unloading all those cartons of milk), before rounding the corner to the cranky counter, aka the deli.

by Anonymousreply 274May 19, 2021 12:06 PM

What does it mean when you keep hearing really loud, fast, low-flying fighter jets but there are no fighter jets in the sky? Is HAARP fucking with me?

by Anonymousreply 275May 19, 2021 3:37 PM

Ok, I have my answer. Biden was in CT at Coast Guard graduation. That must be why jets were over the coast.

by Anonymousreply 276May 19, 2021 4:14 PM

They cut down the dead tree in front of my neighbor’s house. The fungus that killed it is slowly killing the tree in front of my house, too, but they left my tree.

by Anonymousreply 277May 19, 2021 4:16 PM

I had my teeth cleaned yesterday. It felt fantastic since I think it's been close to, if not, 2 years since my last one. I would usually go in Feb/Mar and then 6 months later. But I was changing dental practices in the Fall of 2019 and hadn't found one I like. Then COVID hit and dentists were not an option.

by Anonymousreply 278May 19, 2021 4:26 PM

R258 / R277 Whew! I was worried there was a murder on your block. Glad to hear it just a tree and not a body.

by Anonymousreply 279May 19, 2021 4:39 PM

R278 I seem to remember you were thinking of changing dentists. Was this a new one or the one you saw previously?

by Anonymousreply 280May 19, 2021 4:40 PM

I don’t think they bother with advance no-parking notices when they find a dead body

by Anonymousreply 281May 19, 2021 4:43 PM

I watched a documentary about Dahmer on YouTube yesterday, just because it got suggested to me. It included interviews with him and his parents, after his arrest.

His mother was kind of a dingbat, and his dad was a homophobe. The reporter (Stone Phillips) tried to get Dahmer to blame his parents for his illness. Dahmer didn't take the bait - he blamed himself entirely, and said that it was not fair to pin this on his parents at all. He was relieved to be in prison, so that he didn't have temptations any longer, and could do no harm, although he still always had the sick thoughts to the very end.

by Anonymousreply 282May 19, 2021 4:45 PM

R280, the dentist I went to yesterday was the same one I went to last month for a cavity. I wanted to see how the cleaning went before deciding to make them my new practice. The hygienist was fantastic. She did not scrape teeth or cause my gums to bleed. She wasn't overly chatty either. My family doesn't have good teeth from a genetics aspect. I do have some gingivitis but the dentist didn't immediately refer me to an periodontist.

My last hygienist talked NON-STOP during my cleanings! I knew which kids were smart and which one would be at home forever. I knew about her home remodel and the fact that her husband wanted to buy a boat (they live on a lake) while she wanted to buy new living room furniture.

The whole experience was really pleasant and I will be making them my new dental practice.

by Anonymousreply 283May 19, 2021 4:57 PM

Ugh, I don’t want a lot of talking, especially these days.

by Anonymousreply 284May 19, 2021 5:14 PM

[quote] The steam and sauna opened at the gym. I have a year of toxins that are stored up

No. You don’t.

Your skin renews itself all the time, sloughs off and is replaced. You take showers and wash with soap, you have no toxins in your skin unless you’re deliberately putting poison on it.

Your kidneys, liver & lungs, etc are clearing your bloodstream of toxins daily. Carbon dioxide, urea, ammonia, metabolites are cleared. If those organs are not working, you will have physical symptoms that require medical treatment. Saunas don’t remove any toxins from anywhere. They make you sweat & you might lose some sodium or potassium but those are easily replaced within minutes by taking a cool drink. You really don’t need to sweat out sodium & potassium. In fact, it’s better if you dont.

by Anonymousreply 285May 19, 2021 8:03 PM

Get your tree treated. That’s what my mom did. All the trees on the block were pulled down except hers because when she heard about the first tree being pulled down she had her trees treated. The guys who pulled down the other trees never told the other residents the trees could be treated. But if your job is pulling down trees, I guess that’s a reason for not telling people how to save their trees.

by Anonymousreply 286May 19, 2021 8:07 PM

My 80-year-old mother learned how to text pictures today. Her chickens are two-months-old now and my brother built a chicken coop for them to roost. She apparently REALLY wanted me to see this latest development, so she sent two pictures, three different times in addition to two more texts asking if I could see the pics. To be sure, she called my home phone to verify receipt.

I answered the phone with, “Old lady, I need a drink!” (She laughed)

by Anonymousreply 287May 19, 2021 8:32 PM

Well the tree belongs to the town (it’s on the strip between the sidewalk and the street) and is already pretty sad. Maybe I’ll call the town arborist.

by Anonymousreply 288May 19, 2021 8:47 PM

My crotch smells bad.

by Anonymousreply 289May 19, 2021 8:59 PM

I found a photo of Rita Hayworth actually wearing the sleeveless white fur I mentioned at R267 over her "Gilda" dress. But of course it's merely a closeup upper body shot and I still can't see the complete look that Jean Louis originally intended for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290May 19, 2021 9:51 PM

[quote]My crotch smells bad.

Have you considered bathing?

by Anonymousreply 291May 20, 2021 1:25 AM

R290 Hayworth looks gorgeous. She was at her most beautiful in Gilda and her costumes by Jean Louis were amazing.

by Anonymousreply 292May 20, 2021 5:15 AM

R291, thanks. I bathed and it's slightly better.

by Anonymousreply 293May 20, 2021 11:45 PM

Perhaps a delousing next, r289 / r293?

by Anonymousreply 294May 21, 2021 12:58 AM

No more video dr visits for me. The last two visits with 2 different doctor offices were almost 2 hours late. WTF? I have shit to do. I arranged my day for you to call me. I can’t be driving to the supermarket 1/2 hour away from my house when you call & tell me my chest CT scan is worse than the last one. But that was my schedule, you know? People have to get shit done.

by Anonymousreply 295May 21, 2021 2:36 AM

I got my 2nd dose of Moderna today. I got free parking since it took less than 2 hours. I scheduled a sick day ahead of time so don't have to work tomorrow. Yay.

by Anonymousreply 296May 21, 2021 4:43 AM

I am coming to you from my new iPad Pro. How does it look?

by Anonymousreply 297May 21, 2021 5:34 PM

Surprisingly like your old posts, R297.

by Anonymousreply 298May 21, 2021 7:20 PM

My surgeon said I have to wait 3 months after the appendectomy before I start lifting weight again, but Google says only 6 weeks are enough. I'm confused.

by Anonymousreply 299May 21, 2021 11:59 PM

I know that I always follow medical advice I've picked up from the Internet rather than listen to my surgeon, R299.

by Anonymousreply 300May 22, 2021 12:03 AM

What percentage of the population needs to be fully vaccinated before it is classed as being herd immunity or close to it?

by Anonymousreply 301May 22, 2021 12:05 AM

I did laundry today for the second time in my new digs; the washing machine is one of these new-fangled contraptions that uses very little water. Rather intimidating at first, but I think I get it now.

by Anonymousreply 302May 22, 2021 12:17 AM

R302 They don’t wash as well, I’ve found.

by Anonymousreply 303May 22, 2021 1:37 AM

There were 2 earthquakes in China today, but I didn't feel them because I'm on the other side of the world.

by Anonymousreply 304May 22, 2021 5:10 AM

The minimal amount of water used in these new-fangled washing machines yields unsatisfactory cleaning results? I'm shocked!

by Anonymousreply 305May 22, 2021 5:14 AM

That’s why I don’t trust any cleaning cycle that’s less than 45 minutes; front loaders need the extra soak and extra rinse. Plus, that creates an even rhythm with the dryer cycle when you do multiple loads.

I’m boiling down a chicken carcass for broth. Jeff Smith’s Drunk Chicken recipe now requires a book purchase for access. I used to have that shit memorized. I cheated off a youtube video and achieved the same result.

by Anonymousreply 306May 22, 2021 5:26 AM

Didn't Jeff Smith's fondness for chicken get him into trouble?

by Anonymousreply 307May 22, 2021 6:39 AM

I would like to adopt a cat, but I just bought a new sofa and, I'm afraid that he'd use it as a scratching board. Oh well, I get to catsit my neighbor's cat every once in awhile, so I guess that will do for now.

The sofa is sage green velvet with a curved back. Very comfortable.

by Anonymousreply 308May 22, 2021 6:40 AM

R308, the couch is more whelming than the cat quandary. Combined, they’re too provocative.

My Jeff Smith Chicken went well with asparagus, onion, and egg noodles. I used up odds and ends. Lower salt requires more garlic, but I guess it works.

by Anonymousreply 309May 22, 2021 10:03 AM

I find the washer works well. Had some serious stains that came out as I'd have expected with a traditional washer (stain remover added). Whites, light blue, etc. are noticeably bright, as though I'd added a bit of bleach or something. I do have to rearrange the load at the beginning after it assesses the water needed by shaking around the clothes in the drum into a lopsided ball. Spin cycle on my previous washer (w/d stack combo) lame, so clothes came out fairly wet; this one results in damp rather than wet. Wouldn't go out of my way to get such a unit at my own house or condo though.

by Anonymousreply 310May 22, 2021 12:43 PM

When I wake up most mornings, I think “that’s it?” Sleep used to be so satisfying, now it’s also underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 311May 22, 2021 12:56 PM

When I wake up most mornings, I think: “WTF: I fooled ‘em again.”

Strangely, though, I sleep well and accept another day here on earth, so it fails to whelm.

by Anonymousreply 312May 22, 2021 2:31 PM

[quote]I would like to adopt a cat, but I just bought a new sofa and, I'm afraid that he'd use it as a scratching board.

R308 Perhaps you can adopt a declawed cat? I adopted one who had her front claws removed. I know people who consider declawing a crime but it's an option --- ONLY if you have it done by laser so there is no cutting and is bloodless.

by Anonymousreply 313May 22, 2021 2:36 PM

[quote]When I wake up most mornings, I think “that’s it?” Sleep used to be so satisfying, now it’s also underwhelming.

R311 = Peggy Lee.

by Anonymousreply 314May 22, 2021 4:20 PM

R314, I know, I know I’m not usually so cranky.

by Anonymousreply 315May 22, 2021 9:19 PM

I posted anonymously above. I regretted it and thought I should have signed. Here I post anonymously again and I hope I don't regret it this time.

by Anonymousreply 316May 22, 2021 10:34 PM

R308 you could get a couch cover to protect the couch from kitty. And spills etc. Then remove when you entertain.

by Anonymousreply 317May 22, 2021 11:52 PM

I dreamt I was in a museum accessed through an Asian restaurant. It had a huge interactive diorama where people could hike in sandy hills outside the city and lie on the ground to watch for ufos. I guess it was also a planetarium!

by Anonymousreply 318May 22, 2021 11:55 PM

[quote]R308 you could get a couch cover to protect the couch from kitty. And spills etc. Then remove when you entertain.

I'm picturing R308 removing the couch cover to perform "Rose's Turn" from "Gypsy" for his guests.

by Anonymousreply 319May 23, 2021 1:02 AM

I dislike Summer

by Anonymousreply 320May 23, 2021 1:55 AM

I just used a plastic pasta fork/server to scratch my back.

by Anonymousreply 321May 23, 2021 1:45 PM

Am planning on picking up some Chinese food for dinner. Will spend the afternoon deciding on items.

by Anonymousreply 322May 23, 2021 3:08 PM

[quote]I dislike Summer

I couldn't get to sleep last night because my bedroom was too warm, so I turned on the A/C for the first time this year. It's a little whelming to think that summer doesn't even officially begin until almost a month from now (June 20).

by Anonymousreply 323May 23, 2021 4:42 PM

I’ve had a/c on for weeks. I’ll be damned if I’m going to endure discomfort because it’s not summer yet.

by Anonymousreply 324May 23, 2021 4:58 PM

I need to buy celery seed. I'll use 1/2 teaspoon and never use it again.

by Anonymousreply 325May 23, 2021 5:01 PM

[quote]I dislike Summer

No wonder. That was a pretty bad musical. And at Broadway prices!

by Anonymousreply 326May 23, 2021 5:02 PM

[quote]I need to buy celery seed. I'll use 1/2 teaspoon and never use it again.

I use it in tuna salad. But a small bottle does last a while.

by Anonymousreply 327May 23, 2021 5:03 PM

Google is your friend, R325...

If you don't have celery seed you can substitute per teaspoon needed:

1 teaspoon Celery salt (reduce salt in recipe by 1/2 teaspoon)

OR 3 tablespoons minced celery tops

OR - 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley.

OR - 1 teaspoon of dill seed.

by Anonymousreply 328May 23, 2021 5:05 PM

Breezemax is just an old fashioned swamp cooler, right?

by Anonymousreply 329May 23, 2021 5:21 PM

R328 Thanks, but I've never had celery salt in the house and it sounds like another things I'd use once.. I can't imagine why flat-leaf parsley or dill seed would taste like celery seed. Maybe I'll try the minced celery tops. Thank you for the suggestions, though.

by Anonymousreply 330May 23, 2021 5:34 PM

I’m hungover

by Anonymousreply 331May 23, 2021 5:45 PM

R330, would Old Bay seasoning work in your recipe? It's mostly celery salt, with red pepper, paprika, and black pepper. You could use it for what you're making, then lots of seafood and chicken dishes. I most often use it when I want to roast just one piece of chicken for dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332May 23, 2021 7:11 PM

[quote]I’m hungover

Why should today be different from every other day?

by Anonymousreply 333May 23, 2021 7:49 PM

R332 Good idea. Thanks. I could use it to boil shrimp or broil scallops. Never thought of it!

by Anonymousreply 334May 23, 2021 9:00 PM

R330 Celery salt is a great source of flavor and a way to reduce sodium as it's about 60% salt and 40% celery seed. Use it on vegetables and eggs, among other foods.

A bottle still takes a year to use, but it's what - $2.99? Well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 335May 24, 2021 12:56 AM

Kittenzilla was stuck in the garage for several hours tonight...poor guy! He is fine but I feel bad. He snuck out when I had the door open for a minute.

by Anonymousreply 336May 24, 2021 6:29 AM

Take plenty of short videos, R336, and share them online anonymously. By short, I mean less than two minutes with a payoff. Kittens being cute are worth 90 seconds. Kittens being monsters are worth two minutes. If you rescue from a well, you get three minutes tops.

Also, tidy up your house before filming; some of us are judging you.

by Anonymousreply 337May 24, 2021 6:43 AM

I tried Cheerios for the first time in decades. They have little heart shapes along with the rounds this time. I suppose it's to tell me that my heart health is important while eating a cereal that isn't necessarily contributing to that very much.

by Anonymousreply 338May 24, 2021 6:03 PM

Cheerios was always the dullest-tasting cereal. Life cereal was disappointing too.

by Anonymousreply 339May 24, 2021 6:13 PM

I used to put a ton of sugar on sugarless cereals and then drink the sugar/milk after I ate the cereal. My teeth hurt just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 340May 24, 2021 6:29 PM

Husband has potato salad in fridge from a local italian deli. I decided to taste it .....sometimes shops use something other than mayo, so I only taste a little bit of it. I had to spit it out, rinse my mouth, then brush my teeth and gargle with mouthwash. It was smoked salmon potato salad. Smoked salmon tastes to me like ashes from a house fire added to something dead that went rotten days ago. I know there are people who find cilantro tastes like soap (I like it) & some people who can’t detect the smell of skunk (I’ve never smelled a skunk because they’re extinct here, so I wouldn’t know ) ...I wonder if there isn’t something similar with regard to salmon, where some people just have a bad salmon gene. I that can’t even stand the smell of salmon. My mother had a Pekingese dog who couldn’t stand the smell of lamb cooking — he’d hide under the couch and bark until dinner was over and the smell dissipated, then he’d finally emerge, shaken. To me, the taste of smoked salmon mixed with hard boiled eggs, mayo, parboiled potatoes and lord knows what else is a punishment. If I was being held at Guantanamo, all they’d need to do is open up the smoked salmon on me and I’d give up all my secrets.

by Anonymousreply 341May 24, 2021 6:41 PM

[quote]Life cereal was disappointing too.

Mikey liked it, although he was skeptical at first.

by Anonymousreply 342May 24, 2021 6:43 PM

I got a haircut this morning and it was only $12. She does a great job, is very nice and doesn’t talk much due to a language barrier. Nobody else was there on a Monday morning of course, which made it even better. Underwhelming perfection.

by Anonymousreply 343May 24, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote] would like to adopt a cat, but I just bought a new sofa and, I'm afraid that he'd use it as a scratching board.

Get the cat a couple of actual scratching boards & put catnip on them (tho I think about 30% of cats dont react to catnip). They like flat scratching boards to scratch with front an back legs (and to use as extra cat beds) and angled scratching boards to use for arm stretching. They also like a cat condo with sisal wrapped around it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344May 24, 2021 6:46 PM

The issue isn't so much that they'd necessarily use your sofa as a scratching board. The issue is them jumping off the sofa repeatedly, which will cause their hind claws to leave a mark.

by Anonymousreply 345May 24, 2021 6:50 PM

[quote]I got a haircut this morning and it was only $12

I got one for less than that. I hadn't had my hair cut since the pandemic started. Once I was fully vaccinated, I decided to make an appointment with the same guy who'd been cutting my hair for 20 years, only to find the salon where he worked had closed permanently. So yesterday I grabbed some scissors, my electric trimmer and a hand mirror, and stood in front of the bathroom mirror to cut my hair myself. Surprisingly, it doesn't look terrible, because my goal was simply to get rid of the excess length, not to replicate a professional haircut, which I still plan to get soon.

by Anonymousreply 346May 24, 2021 7:00 PM

R341: marijuana smoke reminds me a lot of skunk if that's any help to you. I like salmon; that potato salad sounds pretty good. I can't stand the smell of broccoli cooking, a ticket on the retch-ville express.

As for my excitement... I tried ceviche for lunch today, figuring I'd give it another try after several years. Nope, just as I dislike Thai sour soup, Hot-and-Sour soup, etc. ceviche was far too bitter.

Upon returning home, I vacummed my new apartment for the first time.

Rest of the day promises to be too underwhelming for you lot, with your high tolerances and all.

by Anonymousreply 347May 24, 2021 7:16 PM

I had my second vax yesterday, and I’m a bit tired today.

by Anonymousreply 348May 24, 2021 7:19 PM

You don't sound underwhelmed, R341.

And there's something fishy about that story.

by Anonymousreply 349May 24, 2021 7:47 PM

One of them big stupid flies came in through the window just now. Hope my cat kills it.

by Anonymousreply 350May 24, 2021 7:49 PM

[quote]So yesterday I grabbed some scissors, my electric trimmer and a hand mirror, and stood in front of the bathroom mirror to cut my hair myself.

R346 Is the Flowbee haircutting tool still a thing?

by Anonymousreply 351May 24, 2021 9:54 PM

They sold out last year, R351. The only ones you could buy were double the list price on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 352May 24, 2021 10:09 PM

I tried a Tate’s blueberry cookie & I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 353May 25, 2021 1:03 AM

Was it as dry as their chocolate chip ones?

by Anonymousreply 354May 25, 2021 1:05 AM

It was like a crunchy blueberry muffin.

I like crunchy cookies.

by Anonymousreply 355May 25, 2021 1:11 AM

I’ll go you one better, r340. I used to dump sugar on things like Cap’n Crunch and Sugar Pops, and drink that delicious sugary milk. It’s amazing I still have my teeth and don’t have the diabeetus.

by Anonymousreply 356May 25, 2021 6:32 AM

There’s a Super Flower Blood Moon with a Lunar eclipse at 4:11 a.m. on the West Coast on Wednesday, May 26th.

It only lasts for 15 minutes - which is not whelming in the least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357May 25, 2021 8:14 AM

I feel very grumpy and bitchy this morning. I need to get off DL and do some physical tasks, then take a walk.

I'm not tolerating the loud crossing guard well at the moment. The hollering at this moment is off the charts. Must be end-of-school-year fever.

by Anonymousreply 358May 25, 2021 3:13 PM

I wrote "at the moment" twice in my post at R358 and for some reason that whelms me.

by Anonymousreply 359May 25, 2021 3:16 PM

It was sunny here. Then it rained. Now it has stopped, but I won’t be able to mow the lawn today.

by Anonymousreply 360May 25, 2021 3:19 PM

I coughed.

by Anonymousreply 361May 25, 2021 3:25 PM

Love celery salt on ripe tomatoes for sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 362May 25, 2021 3:29 PM

I’m thinking about buying goat’s cheese. I’ve never had it. It may whelm me.

by Anonymousreply 363May 25, 2021 5:54 PM

My family used to put celery salt on hot dogs. I liked it, but, looking back, it seems a bit whelming to add salt to something that's already high in sodium.

by Anonymousreply 364May 25, 2021 6:12 PM

I have celery salt in my cupboard but it's probably 15 years old. It still gives off an aroma. Is it really no longer worth using? Will it kill me?

by Anonymousreply 365May 25, 2021 6:36 PM

I like goat cheese; it's more the consistency than the actual taste that may seem strange if you're not used to it.

I refilled a gallon water jug at Publix today, severely irked at paying a $.10 credit card surcharge on a $.35 purchase! So, stopped by the bank on the way home for $5 of quarters and dimes.

by Anonymousreply 366May 25, 2021 6:39 PM

R365, That’s funny, because I also have spices that are old. Recently I found a can of whole cloves in the cabinet and it had a ‘sell by’ date on the bottom of July 1992. I kept them…

I doubt your old celery salt will kill you, but I’d probably buy a new bottle for the best flavor.

by Anonymousreply 367May 25, 2021 7:03 PM

[quote]I have celery salt in my cupboard but it's probably 15 years old. It still gives off an aroma. Is it really no longer worth using? Will it kill me?

It's just salt and celery seed, R367, so it's doubtful that it will hurt you, even after 15 years, unless, during that time, someone spiked it with arsenic or something.

by Anonymousreply 368May 25, 2021 8:17 PM

Someone gifted me a 5-gallon aquarium. I don't want a betta fish but I don't know what else to put in it.

by Anonymousreply 369May 25, 2021 8:29 PM

R369 the algae eaters are great too.

by Anonymousreply 370May 25, 2021 8:31 PM

[quote]My family used to put celery salt on hot dogs.

R364 Delicious! The beginnings of a Chicago style hot dog...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371May 25, 2021 8:42 PM

[quote]Someone gifted me a 5-gallon aquarium. I don't want a betta fish but I don't know what else to put in it.

I would suggest your Hummel collection. It would be a lot less work. Cleaning and maintaining even small fish tanks can be whelming.

by Anonymousreply 372May 25, 2021 8:46 PM

R368 Arsenic in the celery salt – that would be a fun detail in an Agatha Christie-type murder mystery.

by Anonymousreply 373May 25, 2021 10:31 PM

r308 You need to carefully plan. We bought an expensive used Percival Lafer sofa, had it redone in leather, and the cat was going to town on it. I bought a spray, that kinda worked, and a huge scratching post (cool sofa, with huge Wal-Mart scratching post next to it). Problem Solved! A few years later, the scratching post if FUCKED UP. So we replace it, and cat goes back to scratching sofa. We have bought 4 new scratching posts and cat won't touch them. Spray works a little.

We want a Mario Bellini sofa, a major investment this summer but can't, until we placate this fucking drama queen cat. She is going extra hard aggro on the sofa because her beloved cracked out falling apart scratching post is gone. Cats can be major dicks.

by Anonymousreply 374May 26, 2021 4:11 AM

Don’t have kids r374

by Anonymousreply 375May 26, 2021 4:48 AM

Kids are very whelming. Big thumbs down.

by Anonymousreply 376May 26, 2021 5:14 AM

My cat is determined to move all cat toys around the house every night.

by Anonymousreply 377May 26, 2021 5:17 PM

My cat moves some of his toys to my bedroom every night and brings them back to the living room in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 378May 26, 2021 7:35 PM

Speaking of cats, Cosmo has gotten really good at making me move up his dinner time from 4 pm to 3:30. I can't help it. That little face and mournful meow get me every time!

by Anonymousreply 379May 26, 2021 7:40 PM

I went out for lunch today; they only had strawberry jam, for which the waiter apologized as he doesn't like strawberries either.

On the way home, I refilled two water jugs.

Later, a cute Fed Ex guy delivered a rug. Not as nice as the photos, but that's par for the course.

by Anonymousreply 380May 26, 2021 7:52 PM

If we're going to talk about cats, we should be hearing from TheFabulousMissLucy soon!

by Anonymousreply 381May 26, 2021 7:52 PM

You had a day filled with incident, R380!

by Anonymousreply 382May 26, 2021 7:53 PM

I need to refill the hummingbird feeders but I'm too comfortable right now but WEtv is showing old Law and Order episodes with Jerry Orbach and Benjamin Bratt.

by Anonymousreply 383May 26, 2021 7:58 PM

R380 What kind of jam would you have preferred and what were you having for lunch that required jam? If I may ask.

by Anonymousreply 384May 26, 2021 8:02 PM

I ordered DoorDash for lunch and it was pretty good but it was way too much food and not the kind that reheats well.

by Anonymousreply 385May 26, 2021 8:24 PM

Lunch was a vegetarian hash, served with a side of toast. I had been advised previously to ask as they sometimes have those diner-style grape jelly tubs in the back. This establishment is part of an excellent chain called First Watch. Was at a different location recently enjoying a honey-pecan salad with a cup of tomato soup for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 386May 26, 2021 9:10 PM

I like First Watch! There's one within walking distance of my house, and sometimes on lazy weekends when the weather is good, I'll sleep in, walk over there, have a nice lunch, then walk back. I'll have to try the vegetarian hash next time. They had a COVID outbreak last summer, but I'm sure it's fine now.

by Anonymousreply 387May 27, 2021 1:09 AM

First Watch, what a strange name for a restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 388May 27, 2021 4:50 AM

My library ebook system is finally freeing up books on my reading list. I’m restricting myself to a few chapters per day - chewing through books in one sitting feels good, but I lose specifics.

by Anonymousreply 389May 27, 2021 5:03 AM

Google is your friend, R388!

Name is a nautical reference to the first work shift aboard a ship as First Watch restaurants are only open from 7:00 AM to 2:30 PM.

by Anonymousreply 390May 27, 2021 10:57 AM

R390 Oh.

by Anonymousreply 391May 27, 2021 11:17 AM

Vegetarian hash sounds like a perfect dish to underwhelm.

by Anonymousreply 392May 27, 2021 6:37 PM

Watching Judge Judy and getting whelmed from all the yelling. Time for Antiques Road Show.

by Anonymousreply 393May 27, 2021 6:39 PM

My partner slow cooked a bean soup all day. He served it, and it was very bland. There was no seasoning, and it wasn't very warm.

He acknowledged the issue himself, and the next day we had the same soup. He had added seasoning, mushrooms, and it was hotter. It was suddenly palatable.

by Anonymousreply 394May 27, 2021 6:49 PM

Today I cleaned out and organized my freezer. I used some plastic baskets from the dollar store like a Pinterest frau. I have to admit it looks very tidy.

by Anonymousreply 395May 27, 2021 7:13 PM

My cat has slept through mealtime. Anyone want her stuff?

by Anonymousreply 396May 27, 2021 7:31 PM

Felt a bit down, so cheered myself up with a French lunch. Then, Bed Bath and Beyond to use an expired coupon!

by Anonymousreply 397May 27, 2021 7:34 PM

[quote]Vegetarian hash sounds like a perfect dish to underwhelm.

We need a modern-day Peg Bracken to write "Recipes Sure to Underwhelm Your Guests."

by Anonymousreply 398May 27, 2021 8:07 PM

R398, that’s the “Lutheran Cook Book” where spices never overpower freezer-burned green beans and mashed potatoes require a splash of skim milk and Mrs. Dash.

by Anonymousreply 399May 27, 2021 8:15 PM

I planted some flowers this afternoon in the hot sun and then had an allergic reaction to something. I’m exhausted. I think I’ll have a pizza.

by Anonymousreply 400May 27, 2021 9:14 PM

I couldn't finish the burrito my husband bought me last night, so I ate the rest for lunch.

by Anonymousreply 401May 27, 2021 9:54 PM

I looked up the transit number and institution number of my bank.

by Anonymousreply 402May 27, 2021 10:01 PM

I'm talking to three different people at my orthopedic surgeon's office. They keep calling me back and the number on my phone is the same. I call them back and I go through a phone tree to voicemail, but they call me back within 24 hours. I guess that's the way it is now?

by Anonymousreply 403May 27, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote] Bed Bath and Beyond to use an expired coupon!

WELL?? What did you get whilst there?

by Anonymousreply 404May 27, 2021 10:43 PM

And did your expired coupon lead to any in-store drama? Let us know, unless it's too whelming.

by Anonymousreply 405May 27, 2021 10:45 PM

BBB has never said no to my expired coupons.

by Anonymousreply 406May 27, 2021 10:47 PM

R397 Mmmm what’s a French lunch exactly?

by Anonymousreply 407May 27, 2021 10:51 PM

[quote]Mmmm what’s a French lunch exactly?

A French lunch would be called a déjeuner.

by Anonymousreply 408May 27, 2021 11:27 PM

BBB = a set of knives and a mini food chopper (processor). No issue with the coupon being expired, she was more interested in signing me up for their e-coupon program in future.

Bistro is run by a genuine French chef, not an American dilletante, where I had awesome steak frites last time. Today was a roast half-chicken with fingerling potatoes and... yes... the menu used the maligned term "veggies" (carrots and green beans).

I also stopped by a Peruvian bakery at that strip mall for pastries: an alfajor and a serving of chocolate tres leches.

by Anonymousreply 409May 28, 2021 12:10 AM

[quote]and... yes... the menu used the maligned term "veggies" (carrots and green beans).

I am APPALLED!

by Anonymousreply 410May 28, 2021 12:12 AM

I saw a very large wolf spider on my bedroom floor this morning. I panicked.

Driven by a visceral fear. I crushed it. I pounded it with a 5 lb. free weight.

I feel guilty

by Anonymousreply 411May 28, 2021 12:18 AM

It’s going to rain now, R411. You’d better do something to appease the spider gods.

by Anonymousreply 412May 28, 2021 1:40 AM

[quote]I saw a very large wolf spider on my bedroom floor this morning. I panicked. Driven by a visceral fear. I crushed it. I pounded it with a 5 lb. free weight. I feel guilty,

You can just imagine how the spider felt.

by Anonymousreply 413May 28, 2021 1:50 AM

R398, I smiled when I read your post. Peg Bracken is pretty much forgotten today. She was a very witty writer and her recipes, while simple and underwhelming, were ideal for a beginner and the overwhelmed weeknight cook. I have a few of her books and she is a kick.

by Anonymousreply 414May 28, 2021 4:00 AM

I also had a few of Peg Bracken's books, R414. She was very witty. I remember that one of her recipes included the directions, "Smoke a cigarette while you stare sullenly at the sink."

by Anonymousreply 415May 28, 2021 4:43 AM

I made a really nice espresso this morning.

by Anonymousreply 416May 28, 2021 5:46 AM

My cranberry muffin was warmed to perfection this morning but it did not whelm as that's the way it's supposed to be: firm on the bottom, crispy on the top, and tasty inside.

OTOH, it's been in the 80's and 90's this week, and today's high will be 58 which is indeed underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 417May 28, 2021 1:29 PM

Songstress Basia soothes In pentatonic

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418May 28, 2021 2:17 PM

Kittenzilla has learned how to jump from his tree to the top of my cupboards. He knocked over a plant in a heavy ceramic pot. No harm done but I feel this Tarzan mode will continue for some time...

by Anonymousreply 419May 28, 2021 5:46 PM

While my clothes dried, went to Trader Joe's. Bought the usual stuff, but did add an exciting impulse item: frozen Argentinean red shrimp in garlic-ginger butter with Togarashi style seasoning.

Wish I had cranberry muffins to go with decaf tea (sigh); although, I did have an alfajor with coffee this morning. Congrats to R416 on the espresso!

by Anonymousreply 420May 28, 2021 6:14 PM

I just mowed half of my lawn, for the first time this year. The experience whelmed me, so I’ll wait to do the rest tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 421May 28, 2021 7:40 PM

Speaking of Trader Joe’s and espresso, they now have pods compatible with Nespresso machines at $0.50 a shot. Plastic, unfortunately, so they can’t be recycled, but based on the mess in my discard draw, I suspect they are biodegradable, though they don’t say so.

by Anonymousreply 422May 28, 2021 7:42 PM

Where do you live, R421? Around here, they’ve been mowing since April.

by Anonymousreply 423May 28, 2021 7:43 PM

Scotland, r423. I should probably have been mowing since April too....

by Anonymousreply 424May 28, 2021 9:13 PM

Can’t you just let the sheep out?

by Anonymousreply 425May 28, 2021 9:20 PM

R425, you have to mow over Tarrans, Slough, and Red Caps before letting sheep graze or it fucks up the wool.

by Anonymousreply 426May 28, 2021 9:31 PM

D’oh! Of course.

by Anonymousreply 427May 28, 2021 9:35 PM

R420 Alforjores - fresh BA alfajores - are all too readily available in the US now. I was safe for a while when they were hard to get. No longer.

by Anonymousreply 428May 28, 2021 10:13 PM

No plans for this weekend. And that’s fine.

by Anonymousreply 429May 28, 2021 10:33 PM

I need to work this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 430May 28, 2021 10:37 PM

Ironically, R428, the bakery that sells alfajores is Peruvian!

by Anonymousreply 431May 28, 2021 10:58 PM

[quote]While my clothes dried, went to Trader Joe's. Bought the usual stuff, but did add an exciting impulse item: frozen Argentinean red shrimp in garlic-ginger butter with Togarashi style seasoning.

R420 I don't know anything about Argentinian Red Shrimp or Togarashi style seasoning. I wish I did but in the meantime I'm going back to the current Meatloaf thread.

by Anonymousreply 432May 29, 2021 12:38 AM

My partner surprised me with a visit to the coffee shop. He brought home some Peruvian coffee. It was pretty good, but not as good as other offerings they typically have.

by Anonymousreply 433May 29, 2021 7:31 PM

I keep going to Home Depot to buy stuff for minor home improvement projects, then never getting around to actually doing the projects.

by Anonymousreply 434May 29, 2021 7:34 PM

Bought a bottle of Florida bourbon at Total Wine. That store defines overwhelming!

by Anonymousreply 435May 29, 2021 7:36 PM

Are flip flops out and slides in?

by Anonymousreply 436May 29, 2021 7:59 PM

Are slides the same as mules?

by Anonymousreply 437May 29, 2021 8:02 PM

Mules & slides make me think of these Dr. Scholl’s sandals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438May 29, 2021 11:31 PM

They go well with your boot cut jeans

by Anonymousreply 439May 29, 2021 11:36 PM

My partner just sneezed 22 times. Usually it’s 13. So bizarre, I’ll never get used to it.

by Anonymousreply 440May 30, 2021 3:56 AM

I met an friend for dinner and some catching up outdoors. We're both vaccinated and I haven't hung out socially with anyone outside my household in a year, but it was kind of boring and the friend wouldn't stop talking about himself the entire time. I don't recall him being so self absorbed before but maybe I've become less tolerant. It was pleasant enough but I'm not sure I'll rush to hang out with him again any time soon. Very underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 441May 30, 2021 8:35 AM

I wanted to buy a new toilet seat and a chilli plant today, but I have to work so I might not have time.

by Anonymousreply 442May 30, 2021 10:32 AM

If you don't remember him being that way previously then perhaps your friend is just expressing pent-up communication issues, R441? However, no rush in seeing him again.

by Anonymousreply 443May 30, 2021 12:04 PM

R438 I wore those Dr. Scholl's sandals to a fair one year and had to throw them away on the way home. I had burning blisters on the bottom of my feet. "Exercise Sandals' my ass.

by Anonymousreply 444May 30, 2021 2:07 PM

I made blueberry pancakes this morning. I found them enjoyable.

by Anonymousreply 445May 30, 2021 5:15 PM

I decided to try one of those engineered foods. Huel Hot and Savory which is basically rice, quinoa, flax seed and pea protein, plus herbs, spices and vitamins and minerals. Designed to be fully nutritious.

Feh.

But to be fair, I am congested due to allergies, so perhaps it’s tastier than it seems. You have to buy a lot of it to try it out.

by Anonymousreply 446May 30, 2021 6:19 PM

I've tried Huel too, R446, and I heartily concur with the "feh" sentiment.

I suppose the fruity versions are not bad as an occasional cool breakfast on a warm summer day, but it's awfully bland, and the flavours which aren't bland taste horribly artificial.

Feh, indeed. It is, in fact, the quintessential food for a thread such as this.

by Anonymousreply 447May 30, 2021 6:41 PM

R443, that's exactly what i came away thinking. Maybe his social skills are a little rusty. It happens! Nice person but I'm not in a rush to hang out again any time soon.

by Anonymousreply 448May 31, 2021 12:20 AM

I forgot to buy store-brand Equal on my supermarket visit today. I have enough for a few more days, but still I remain disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 449May 31, 2021 12:30 AM

R419– Time to find a Chinese restaurant with a shortage of chicken

by Anonymousreply 450May 31, 2021 1:40 AM

I scratched my ass today.

by Anonymousreply 451May 31, 2021 1:49 AM

[quote]I forgot to buy store-brand Equal on my supermarket visit today.

I bought some store-brand Splenda when I went to the supermarket today.

by Anonymousreply 452May 31, 2021 2:45 AM

I ate a few edibles, hoping for a good time but all they did was send me to bed, with Datalounge under my blanket.

It’s ok though

by Anonymousreply 453May 31, 2021 8:17 AM

I have a (maybe irrational) fear of overdosing on edibles.

by Anonymousreply 454May 31, 2021 12:24 PM

My stomach hurts a bit. I think I'm constipated.

by Anonymousreply 455May 31, 2021 12:52 PM

It’s not irrational. They won’t kill you, but an overdose is not pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 456May 31, 2021 3:04 PM

R456 Yes, and I've never liked having to wait for the high to kick in. The anticipation is overwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 457May 31, 2021 3:17 PM

I just completed my fastest-ever NY Times crossword: 5:31.

by Anonymousreply 458May 31, 2021 4:02 PM

Impressive, R458. I assume it was the Monday crossword. But it's still impressive.

by Anonymousreply 459May 31, 2021 4:52 PM

Yes— Monday.

by Anonymousreply 460May 31, 2021 5:10 PM

I went to a very underwhelming store today, called ‘At Home.” It could have been overwhelming due the size of the place, but the uninspired, bland, low quality products made it easy to stay completely non-reactive.

by Anonymousreply 461May 31, 2021 9:23 PM

I saw some Bambi merchandise the other day, and it triggered some vague melancholy in me. Which made me realise that, at 33, there's still a part of me that hasn't entirely come to terms with Bambi's mother being shot.

by Anonymousreply 462May 31, 2021 10:26 PM

Something happened to me today, but I forgot. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 463June 1, 2021 12:40 AM

I ran out of bags and dumped loose garbage down the chute. I felt like an asshole. I’ll do it again as I’m not shopping for a few more days.

by Anonymousreply 464June 1, 2021 12:51 AM

R462, I feel the same way about Old Yeller, which was the first movie I ever saw. I was probably five years old. I remember thinking for a while thereafter how glad I was that we never took our dogs to the movies.

by Anonymousreply 465June 1, 2021 11:25 AM

R461 and you were surprised?

It’s Marshalls/Home Goods/Home Sense/TJ Maxx/TK Maxx/Sierra Trading Post/Winners, etc.

Same shitty shit, just more of it.

by Anonymousreply 466June 1, 2021 12:08 PM

Yesterday, I successfully assembled a piece of furniture (naturally having to re-do the effort partially for having attached an earlier piece backwards). That was beyond whelming, so had nothing to report.

Instead, I'll inform the world waiting for The Story of My Life that today is the day to go to the supermarket to purchase the store brand equal at last, since I inadvertently left the refrigeration-required coffee creamer out overnight!

by Anonymousreply 467June 1, 2021 12:20 PM

I was going to have steak for lunch, but now I’ve eaten just 2 cheese slices and I’m due back at work in 15 minutes, so no steak.

by Anonymousreply 468June 1, 2021 12:45 PM

R466, I had never heard of it until yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 469June 1, 2021 4:25 PM

The Asian vegan joint is closed on Tuesdays, so yet again to First Watch nearby: vegetable sandwich with Italian wedding soup.

I am thinking of having a coffee mug made featuring a user-provided photo at Zazzle!

by Anonymousreply 470June 1, 2021 5:59 PM

It’s the final week of school so gregarious crossing guard down the street is more hopped up than ever. The caterwauling is sure to reach epic levels. Whelm!

by Anonymousreply 471June 1, 2021 6:04 PM

R471, do you live near the corner of Beacon and Murray in Squirrel Hill (Pittsburgh)?

by Anonymousreply 472June 1, 2021 6:15 PM

R472 No, a residential neighborhood in Los Angeles. But I’ve seen articles about crossing guards who go viral for dancing and and carrying on. It seems to be a thing. Do you have one?

by Anonymousreply 473June 1, 2021 6:42 PM

My partner got me an egg and cheese croissant. But he wouldn't let me eat it until I tried a bite of his 'morning bun'. It was a sugary, cinnamon flaky non-event, when all I wanted was what he got me. I don't get the appeal of morning buns. Just have a donut.

by Anonymousreply 474June 1, 2021 8:56 PM

He sounds rather controlling, R474.

by Anonymousreply 475June 1, 2021 8:58 PM

I planted a Japanese Tassel Fern in the dark corner of my garden where everything I’ve planted before has perished. Good luck polystichum polyblepharum.

by Anonymousreply 476June 1, 2021 10:39 PM

It’s hot in Portland and I’m just sitting here.

by Anonymousreply 477June 1, 2021 10:42 PM

I forgot to get butter.

by Anonymousreply 478June 1, 2021 11:12 PM

I condole you, R478.

by Anonymousreply 479June 2, 2021 12:02 AM

Yeserday, I used The Joy of Cooking ( Rombauer and Becker Rombauer edition) baked beans recipe but I left out the optional Worcestershire sauce.

"I don't know about ALL the prizes but I have high hopes for my pickles and mincemeat."

by Anonymousreply 480June 2, 2021 12:33 AM

Yesterday^

by Anonymousreply 481June 2, 2021 12:34 AM

Why did you omit it? We had Worcestershire sauce in the house when I was a child almost solely for my mother to make Chex party mix from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 482June 2, 2021 12:36 AM

Morning buns look good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483June 2, 2021 2:00 AM

r482, I love Worcestershire Sauce, too, but, when I used it the first time I used that recipe, it added a harsh flavor.

Besides, the salt content is already in there, especiall y after I reserve the boiled bean water, dissolve a few tablespoons of "Better Than Bullion " Ham paste and use that to pour on the baking beans if they need more moisture.

by Anonymousreply 484June 2, 2021 2:27 AM

I love "Joy of Cooking" but the baked beans recipe defintely needs lots of moisture.

I use Great Northerns so the larger bean size might be soaking in more liquid.

by Anonymousreply 485June 2, 2021 2:30 AM

Why would anyone need a recipe for baked beans? Your culinary are appropriately underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 486June 2, 2021 4:58 AM

R476 polystichum polyblepharum: your Latin makes me feel warm and fuzzy all over, delighted but still underwhelmed. Bravo!

by Anonymousreply 487June 2, 2021 5:00 AM

I just woke up. I’m tired.

by Anonymousreply 488June 2, 2021 6:54 AM

The first thing that I want to do when I get up every morning is to go back to bed.

by Anonymousreply 489June 2, 2021 9:31 AM

Thanks, R484 - makes sense!

If you've never made them before, how would you do so without seeing a recipe, R486?

by Anonymousreply 490June 2, 2021 12:18 PM

R490 Leverage existing cooking knowledge and apply to baked beans??

by Anonymousreply 491June 2, 2021 6:19 PM

I was concerned that the pair of plastic drinking glasses I'd recently purchased would not survive a session in the dishwasher; but, they appear to have done just fine.

by Anonymousreply 492June 2, 2021 6:29 PM

Dishwasher pod got stuck in flap.

by Anonymousreply 493June 2, 2021 6:36 PM

[quote]Why would anyone need a recipe for baked beans?

Perhaps R486 was unaware that all baked beans don't come from a can and that they can actually be made "from scratch" using dried beans. A recipe would be needed in this case because there is nothing intuitive about baking beans from scratch.

by Anonymousreply 494June 2, 2021 6:36 PM

If you grow up watching people cook I guess you pick up on things. My mom used to make baked beans about once a year when I was growing up so even tho I rarely make them I don't need a recipe. I also cheat and use canned beans when I do because it is so much faster.

by Anonymousreply 495June 2, 2021 7:24 PM

[quote]I also cheat and use canned beans when I do because it is so much faster.

Then you are not making homemade baked beans. No wonder you don't need a recipe.

by Anonymousreply 496June 2, 2021 8:18 PM

Costco and Trader Joe’s have DONE AWAY with their mask requirements, but EVERYONE is wearing them anyway.

I wore mine because I hadn’t brushed my teeth, but what’s up with the rest?

by Anonymousreply 497June 2, 2021 10:26 PM

I think it’s fading now and then there will be a cascade of people taking them off and that will be that.

by Anonymousreply 498June 2, 2021 10:30 PM

Not only is everyone not wearing them, but I saw an employee without one on my most recent TJ visit.

Much sushi was consumed today, but not overwhekmingly so.

by Anonymousreply 499June 2, 2021 10:37 PM

I’m watching a dubbed programme on Netflix. It’s a bit whelming because people’s mouths don’t match the sound. I may just go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 500June 2, 2021 10:39 PM

R500 Go for the original language, with subtitles. Much better.

by Anonymousreply 501June 2, 2021 11:35 PM

The cat is meowing at the window and I don’t see what he sees, but I’m curious what is grabbing his attention.

by Anonymousreply 502June 3, 2021 12:48 AM

Dumbass at r496. You know that you can buy canned beans of all varieties, right?? Same as dried ones only not dried. Canned and ready to go for baking! You can use these to save soaking dried beans overnight to rehydrate. The result is the same. But I guess you wouldn't believe it unless you read it in a recipe book.

by Anonymousreply 503June 3, 2021 2:10 AM

Not R496, R503, but do you really think calling someone “dumbass” and then insulting them again is the way to persuade them you’re right? Especially when you’re not?

Canned, cooked beans contain salt and EDTA (a preservative) and while it’s use has declined, some can linings still contain BPA. Combining prepared foods and claiming the result is homemade is like saying a cake from a mix is homemade. It’s not a question of where it’s made but rather how: homemade = from scratch.

You must win so many arguments this way...

by Anonymousreply 504June 3, 2021 11:20 AM

From- scratch baked beans, if you have the oven, time, and like the project, result in the the ultimate nostagia food, especially at an early -summer holiday like Memorial Day, when I don't mind still using the oven.

While baking, that good, savory smell coming from the oven takes me back to childhood. And when hungry family and guests arrive, I like hearing "oh, I smell something good..."

Results vary, though. No batch ever turns out like the last batch.

Adding plenty of moisture while baking and then doing what "Joy" says to do- taking the lid off for the last 1/2 hour or 45 minutes is crucial.

by Anonymousreply 505June 3, 2021 11:36 AM

Please, don't quarrel over beans.

by Anonymousreply 506June 3, 2021 12:22 PM

I am undecided as to whether I like my new toaster oven or not?

by Anonymousreply 507June 3, 2021 12:34 PM

People are arguing on this hitherto peaceful thread. It’s whelming.

by Anonymousreply 508June 3, 2021 12:48 PM

I just made bacon in the oven. I love cooking it this way. I don't have to worry about grease splatter all over my stove. I keep the grease for things like collard greens or green beans.

by Anonymousreply 509June 3, 2021 2:11 PM

Isn't the bacon grease splatter now inside your stove, lining the walls of the oven?

by Anonymousreply 510June 3, 2021 2:41 PM

R510, it doesn't spatter in the oven. It's close to the walls, top or bottom of the stove.

by Anonymousreply 511June 3, 2021 4:24 PM

I made bacon in the oven too!

by Anonymousreply 512June 3, 2021 4:40 PM

I have some precooked bacon in the refrigerator; mother told me it works well for sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 513June 3, 2021 6:08 PM

every time I get ready to get up from bed, my cat plops down on my lap.

by Anonymousreply 514June 3, 2021 6:52 PM

I was supposed to work this evening on an urgent work project, but (of course) I have procrastinated for so long that I will now have to work into the early hours.

by Anonymousreply 515June 3, 2021 9:47 PM

My husband is loading the dishwasher. And washing the pots.

by Anonymousreply 516June 3, 2021 9:50 PM

Earlier this evening it was 100° with wind and a dust storm through the city. I wasn't quite whelmed, but I did wonder when I had moved from Boise to the Sahara.

by Anonymousreply 517June 4, 2021 3:17 AM

I’m tired, want to go to sleep. But the neighbors next door are having a loud backyard party and my partner is blasting “my fair lady” on TV on the other side of the wall. I’m surrounded by noise.

by Anonymousreply 518June 4, 2021 3:56 AM

I'm having my screens replaced with pet-proof screens. I will now be able to open my windows without letting in half of Mother Nature's winged creatures. Cos has really sharp nails and, occasionally, likes to stand up to see birds and other things. The original screens are over 20+ years old. I recently found out my Condo Assn is not responsible for the screens; it's on us owners to repair/replace.

by Anonymousreply 519June 4, 2021 1:08 PM

So much whelm in this thread all of a sudden.

by Anonymousreply 520June 4, 2021 1:25 PM

The a/c tuneup guy, Tenzing, just finished. The system is balanced and operating with a 20F difference between intake and output temperatures, the air handling equipment works properly,v and the drain line is clear. He put in a new filter, too. Life is good and the summer will be livable.

This does not over- or under-whelm. It is as it should be and that’s just fine.

by Anonymousreply 521June 4, 2021 2:28 PM

R519 here. The screens have been replaced. 3 large windows, 2 small ones, and the balcony. Cost was just over $500. It was worth it, though. I can now open the windows without bugs coming in! Cos will be so happy!!

by Anonymousreply 522June 4, 2021 2:29 PM

My new instant pot is due today. So, I've been considering placement for it on the kitchen island.

by Anonymousreply 523June 4, 2021 2:36 PM

Pretty severe thunderstorm just went by.

by Anonymousreply 524June 4, 2021 7:59 PM

Today at Total Wine (what a store!), the clerk was so desperate to be helpful that I ended up buying some Texas bourbon on his recommendation.

I just could not decide between the scuppernong or muscadine wines from NC, so left that for another trip.

by Anonymousreply 525June 4, 2021 8:09 PM

R524, I experienced those same storms. The sun is out now but parts of the sky look that penultimate scene in The Perfect Storm. Dark clouds, followed by bright sunlight, followed by dark clouds.

by Anonymousreply 526June 4, 2021 8:29 PM

R522 I put in pet screens a couple years ago. I wish I had done it earlier, especially the patio screen. It solved the problem of the cat scratching holes in the screen. Plus, he liked to lean into the screen and the big boy caused the screen to bulge outward. The pet screens are strong enough to solve both problems.

by Anonymousreply 527June 4, 2021 9:33 PM

R525, I love Total Wine! They have everything. I always old favorites and new treats as well.

by Anonymousreply 528June 4, 2021 10:16 PM

Well, obviously you can tell by my enthusiasm….

by Anonymousreply 529June 4, 2021 10:18 PM

I threw out a ripped and fraying dishcloth even though it was clean.

by Anonymousreply 530June 5, 2021 3:45 AM

[quote]I threw out a ripped and fraying dishcloth even though it was clean.

I just couldn't. I'd put it aside to use as a cleaning rag, and then never actually get around to using it. You're to be commended.

by Anonymousreply 531June 5, 2021 4:37 AM

I've had a half empty tin of Sucrets in my livingroom for 4 years. I just now developed a cough, lord knows how. But I was grateful for the old Sucrets.

by Anonymousreply 532June 5, 2021 7:15 AM

I'm weighing the pros and cons of tackling the "Penatgon confirms validity of UFO videos" thread.

Early Saturday mornings I reserve for choosing one among my, "I'll get to that later" threads.

by Anonymousreply 533June 5, 2021 11:05 AM

I’m going out for post-lockdown drinks with friends today and I don’t really feel like it, which is a bit weird.

by Anonymousreply 534June 5, 2021 11:49 AM

I boiled ten pounds of chicken quarters - scoring ready-to-use meat, stock, and fat.

I threw the skin, onions, celery, and garlic out for the crows. It was gone within an hour.

I was going to boil down the bones, but I was bored of the stench.

by Anonymousreply 535June 5, 2021 12:07 PM

[quote]I’m going out for post-lockdown drinks with friends today and I don’t really feel like it, which is a bit weird.

I don't like going out as much as I did pre-pandemic. I'm going out for dinner tonight nonetheless, to a restaurant I'm glad has reopened.

by Anonymousreply 536June 5, 2021 12:15 PM

Boil down the bones? Feeding the crows?

Are you a witch?

by Anonymousreply 537June 5, 2021 3:14 PM

Tried a new (to me) Mexican place for lunch, opting for beef machaca with scrambled eggs. The sauces were a choice between hot and very hot; on the other hand, it appeared they comped my tamarind Jarrito.

by Anonymousreply 538June 5, 2021 7:22 PM

R538 Funny, your post was my second encounter today with the word “tamarind.”

by Anonymousreply 539June 5, 2021 9:29 PM

Watching Back to the Future. Mihael J Fox was one cute twink.

by Anonymousreply 540June 5, 2021 9:42 PM

One of my DL posts got 12 'likes'.

That's a record for me but may leave you underwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 541June 5, 2021 10:47 PM

It’s taking me longer to find an error in my crossword than it did to fill in the damn thing. Everything works, but no gold star.

by Anonymousreply 542June 5, 2021 10:55 PM

A friend gave me some edibles and I took a few. Watching Britannia and getting ready for Domina (the series about Livia Druscilla) which starts tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 543June 5, 2021 10:57 PM

OMG. I accidentally typed a 0 (zero) instead of an o. Argh!

by Anonymousreply 544June 5, 2021 11:02 PM

I'm bloated today. I wish my belly button had a release valve.

by Anonymousreply 545June 6, 2021 7:45 PM

When I got to the water-jug-refill machine at Publix, I had forgotten my change, so had to schlep back to the car for it.

by Anonymousreply 546June 6, 2021 7:51 PM

My baby lemon tree has shot up 6 inches in the last 2 weeks!!

by Anonymousreply 547June 6, 2021 8:27 PM

It's 93 outside at 7 pm.

Without a/c, life (and sweat) would overwhelm.

by Anonymousreply 548June 6, 2021 10:46 PM

Making my oven baked chicken breast with garlic and cinnamon. Smells divine in here!!

by Anonymousreply 549June 7, 2021 12:12 AM

It was also 93 here today. I'm afraid making oven-fried chicken would whelm me on such a hot day.

by Anonymousreply 550June 7, 2021 3:15 AM

A valid fear, R550. That's why I got a small air fryer on an Amazon lightning deal - they really do the trick and don't heat up your kitchen. And everything you make is lower in fat, if you're watching that kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 551June 7, 2021 5:26 AM

I have toaster oven for heating up/preparing small batches; am considering an air fryer at some point, but not a fan of French fries and other batter-fried stuff folks seem to cook in those.

by Anonymousreply 552June 7, 2021 12:18 PM

You can make all kinds of things in air fryers. They're just convection ovens - I use mine to reheat things too. It's definitely not just or batter-fried stuff - I don't like those either. I also once made air fried tortellini that, I have to say, were close to whelming.

by Anonymousreply 553June 7, 2021 7:11 PM

It's raining here in Los Angeles. Always feels a little special.

by Anonymousreply 554June 7, 2021 8:08 PM

I had a dream last night I was the booking manager for the Grand Ole Opry. It was kind of fun, but I was having some trouble getting a hold of Loretta Lynn's people for a special performance.

by Anonymousreply 555June 7, 2021 8:57 PM

Another day of hot and humid weather in northern NJ.

by Anonymousreply 556June 8, 2021 12:36 PM

I just reviewed an item at Overstock. Will wait to do so with my new coffee table that doubles as a desk until I've used it as the latter a few times.

by Anonymousreply 557June 8, 2021 1:30 PM

Hot and humid here too, Cosmo, and I'm nowhere near NJ. I live near Lake Michigan and it's never been this hot this early. It's been in the 90s since Friday.

by Anonymousreply 558June 8, 2021 1:51 PM

My shoulder click is back.

by Anonymousreply 559June 8, 2021 1:57 PM

May I have you stuff?

by Anonymousreply 560June 8, 2021 2:00 PM

There's a mildly funky smell coming from my kitchen and I can't find where it's coming from.

by Anonymousreply 561June 8, 2021 3:26 PM

I made a Keto cheesecake last night and used heavy whipping cream instead of just heavy cream. It's not terrible but I liked the consistency better when I used regular heavy cream. It was more like a cream cheese cheesecake.

by Anonymousreply 562June 8, 2021 3:31 PM

If half my salmon croquettes disintegrate while I’m frying, do I simply call them salmon hash? I cooked the mess to a crunchier consistency and let it rest on toweling. The diced onion and celery redeemed the bullshit green pepper.

I’m thinking about banishing green pepper and I may skip forming patties all together.

by Anonymousreply 563June 8, 2021 4:06 PM

[quote]Another day of hot and humid weather in northern NJ.

I used to live in northern N.J. Now I live in the D.C. area, where the heat and humidity are even worse.

by Anonymousreply 564June 8, 2021 4:41 PM

Oh really? I hadn’t noticed. I have central air conditioning.

by Anonymousreply 565June 8, 2021 4:45 PM

Some of us occasionally have to venture outdoors, R565.

by Anonymousreply 566June 8, 2021 4:48 PM

Pity.

by Anonymousreply 567June 8, 2021 4:51 PM

Indeed, R566! I walked to lunch here in Florida; it's officially 90, with weather app saying "feels like 97." Wouldn't have wanted to go much further (than a long block), but I wasn't sweating and feeling overwhelmed either.

On the way back, I stopped at the building management office for an air conditioner filter. Changing that may have been one if the least whelming activities I've managed in a long time. Later I shall fold clothes (slightly more exciting).

by Anonymousreply 568June 8, 2021 5:45 PM

R556 here. Now getting thunderstorms!

by Anonymousreply 569June 8, 2021 6:34 PM

I am so sick of wearing a mask. We're still required to wear them in shops in the UK. I thought I'd be used to it by now, but I still find it uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 570June 8, 2021 7:00 PM

Ventilators are more uncomfortable, R571.

by Anonymousreply 571June 8, 2021 7:28 PM

I know, R571. I've worn a mask religiously since they were required, I'm just finding it annoying.

by Anonymousreply 572June 8, 2021 7:38 PM

I dreamt that i bought a car and drove to Ireland, which was weird because I don’t drive and Ireland is an island.

by Anonymousreply 573June 8, 2021 7:58 PM

I believe my local crazy ladies have swapped dogs again.

The young one now has the older boxer mix. The old woman now walks the blue heeler mix.

Granted, the younger is usually nodding off standing upright - which is slow enough for the old boxer. I just hope the older one can exercise the littler guy - he jumps around and does pirouettes - Hope he doesn’t interfere with the vodka bottle she keeps in her walker.

by Anonymousreply 574June 8, 2021 8:35 PM

I used my new vacuum. It’s nice. Kind of makes me wish I hadn’t left in in the box on the living room floor for the past 13 months. I feared attaching it’s docking station to the wall would be whelming, but it turns out the holes I drilled in more energetic times for my old vacuum’s docking station fit perfectly. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 575June 8, 2021 9:28 PM

It's still hot here but, as they often do, the thunderstorms have parted over Boston with some of them going south, some of them going north, and none of them opening up the skies over my garden. OTOH, they're not opening over Fenway, either. Hot is one thing, hot and wet is two things.

It's been 90 or above since Friday. I'm yet to be overwhelmed, but we're getting there. High 80's tomorrow.

Compensation: a friend from work had delicious gossip today about people there I never liked.

In the end, it all balances out.

by Anonymousreply 576June 9, 2021 12:37 AM

I just met the cat lady who will be taking care of my cat while I’m on a trip. I call her a cat lady because she works in a cat shelter and has 12 cats at home. Seems fair, no?

by Anonymousreply 577June 9, 2021 8:34 PM

I went to the supermarket today. 75% masks. I didn't really care. I'm vaccinated. I wore one. I'm used to it. Life doesn't require me to wear one all day long, so it's no big deal to wear one to the store. I took the bus home. I'm glad to wear a mask on the bus.

I'm going out for dinner to a place my friend says has the best burgers. I'm wearing a new, mainly fuschia and turquoise Madras shirt.

I hope my night continues to underwhelm. I'm going to an AA meeting where there's a guy who bitches about upcoming changes to the literature, to make things more inclusive.

by Anonymousreply 578June 9, 2021 9:13 PM

[quote] I'm going to an AA meeting where there's a guy who bitches about upcoming changes to the literature

What sort of literature? Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 579June 9, 2021 10:36 PM

I think he means the AA published handouts and such.

by Anonymousreply 580June 9, 2021 11:19 PM

r579 r580, AA is apparently changing its preamble, which now opens with "AA is a group of men and women," to "AA is a group of people," in order to be more inclusive.

Elsewhere there's a sentence that refers to "God, as you understand him." That is being changed, but I don't know what they're planning to replace "him" with. A number of "people" already say "God as you understand God," so I imagine that's how it will read. I hope it's not "God as you understand them."

As to whether it's a good or a bad thing, you'll have to decide for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 581June 10, 2021 1:51 AM

Thank You, R581

by Anonymousreply 582June 10, 2021 2:12 AM

R581 May I suggest "AA is a group..." Without qualifying it being "of people" or anything else. We know it's not for dogs or aliens.

by Anonymousreply 583June 10, 2021 6:42 AM

I bought the following items at Dollar Tree today: a three-foot extension cord, large styrofoam cups, index cards, and full size mailing envelopes (only small, half-size available recently).

by Anonymousreply 584June 10, 2021 7:01 PM

It's not up to me, r583. But thank you for playing.

by Anonymousreply 585June 10, 2021 7:05 PM

I get off work 90 minutes early today.

Ritz Bits.

I have nothing to do tomorrow. And I won't.

by Anonymousreply 586June 11, 2021 1:17 PM

Pointing my remote at the TV, clicking up and down, andnot finding anything to watch. Morning TV is underwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 587June 11, 2021 2:04 PM

Morning TV is a wasteland best avoided.

I may read the instructions that came with my Instant Pot Pro soon!

by Anonymousreply 588June 11, 2021 2:09 PM

I have a couple of errands I need to take care of, but it's pouring out right now and my resolve is weakening, as my resolve so often tends to do.

by Anonymousreply 589June 11, 2021 3:37 PM

I gave a 6 AM flight tomorrow and a middle seat. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 590June 11, 2021 3:39 PM

I bought an air fryer two months ago and sill have not unpacked it. I'm losing interest. It might wind up at St Vindent dePaul in the original box.

by Anonymousreply 591June 11, 2021 4:45 PM

R584 not too shabby a haul! The Dollar Tree has some nice memories for me. When I was younger and very poor because I'd been living on my own since I was 16, I would sometimes go to the Dollar Tree and spend $20 and come out feeling like a millionaire. They're good for really basic paper staples like that anyway.

by Anonymousreply 592June 11, 2021 6:13 PM

I can't convince myself to get an air fryer; passed on getting an air fryer top for the instant pot as reviewers said there's not a lot of room to put food for frying that way.

by Anonymousreply 593June 11, 2021 6:29 PM

I tried a meal prep delivery service and found it whelming. Next time I will try one where all I need to do is reheat and toss salad.

by Anonymousreply 594June 11, 2021 6:55 PM

The other day I had my first experience of being glad to have a mask on. I was at an event and saw someone I had a falling out with years ago. At least I think it was him under the mask. I was glad to have cover.

in other news, I am right now at a doctors office and he is running one hour and 45 minutes late. I’m getting to the point of wanting to weep. Sorry to whelm.

by Anonymousreply 595June 11, 2021 7:51 PM

^not whelmed

by Anonymousreply 596June 11, 2021 7:52 PM

Shall we go on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597June 11, 2021 8:40 PM

Thanks for starting a new thread for the continuing non-drama, R597.

by Anonymousreply 598June 11, 2021 8:44 PM

Thank you r597

by Anonymousreply 599June 11, 2021 9:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!