Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends - whatcha gonna do?

Inspired by the "Malibu hilltop mansion can be yours" thread linked (and other extravagant but tacky monuments to mediocrity like Ryan Seacrest's place and that enormous 350 million buck joint that was on here a while back)

You've got a beautiful location and huge budget, say around the 50-80 million mark, and you can build anything you like, its to YOUR taste, not anybody else's, you do not need to consider resale value, this is your chance to build your dream home in your dream location

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2021 7:07 PM

Here is what I would build, pretty much a replica of this house, on a hilltop location like the one the Malibu house has. I would incorporate modern features and materials, but concealed from sight as far as possible, and as for contemporary touches - there will be none.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 19, 2021 6:03 PM

I would fuck with your rules a bit, OP, and spend some very significant portion of the money on an historic house, but to play by your rules saving a large sum for a small, elegant stand alone glass-walled building of the finest materials in the tradition of Mies van der Rohe's Barcelona Pavilion of 1929 — a hugely expensive "simple" space with walls of glass (and exotic marble) and (heated) floors of fossiliferous dark stone. Because I live in a sunny Mediterranean climate, some of the expanses of glass might have some sort of movable screening in patterns to recall the historic architecture of the region, and a brilliant architectural walled garden to connect the pavilion to the house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 19, 2021 6:27 PM

R2 thats a great option, bend the rules to your hearts content, its YOUR dream home! I'd definitely consider buying a historic home too

And if the house you love is in a great location why build new elsewhere?

by Anonymousreply 3April 19, 2021 6:32 PM

My dream home is 4 million

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 19, 2021 6:39 PM

R4 that is a stunning house for sure! Why spend more if you can have your dream for 4 mil, makes sense

by Anonymousreply 5April 19, 2021 6:49 PM

This is my old violent lesbian home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 19, 2021 7:15 PM

And this is where I live:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 19, 2021 7:17 PM

I'm glad you asked, OP, because I know EXACTLY what I'd build. Of course, your budget is too tiny, so I'm going to bend that rule.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 19, 2021 7:25 PM

I don't need to build my dream house; it already exists.

I just need to evict the interlopers that are shilling it out as a boutique hotel these days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 19, 2021 7:30 PM

Barbie's Dream House

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 19, 2021 9:32 PM

R7 that is a nice apartment, great views too

R8 where is that and whats up with the landscaping?

R9 La Rondinaia is absolutely stunning, good choice. The interlopers website does have better pics of the interior

R10 Okaaaay..... but to be honest I actually like that more than the place in the Malibu hilltop mansion thread!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 20, 2021 4:13 AM

Here's another house I wouldnt mind having, but not in its current location.... and it has some historical baggage too. Would look great on a Malibu hilltop too

by Anonymousreply 12April 20, 2021 4:50 PM

Shit forgot to put the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13April 21, 2021 4:01 PM

I'd build something like this (only new and not beat up looking). I love that style of architecture but I wouldn't want to live in one that had actually been a plantation, too many bad vibes from all the history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 21, 2021 6:54 PM

R14, yeah that is a style of house I like too but like the one I posted.... historical baggage!

by Anonymousreply 15April 21, 2021 7:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!