Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m thinking a pale pink or lavender for my bedroom walls. Too gay?

What colors are your bedrooms?

by Anonymousreply 109May 23, 2022 4:48 AM

London Stone in one*

& Sunflower in the other - sort of sandy colour (I did it 20 yrs ago)

*& I'm not into the whole grey thing AT ALL, but it worked well in my little second bedroom.

...weird London Stone looks very beige in the photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 17, 2021 12:16 PM

Glossy jungle green, white, and medium wood furniture. I find it both cheerful and relaxing. At night the green tones way down. I've had variations on this since I was boy.

by Anonymousreply 2April 17, 2021 12:20 PM

lavender no but warm turquoise could work.

by Anonymousreply 3April 17, 2021 12:21 PM

Avoid Lavender. You will use your bedroom mostly with electric light which tends to make lavender grey or muddy. Pink is actually lovely, but not terribly butch. You might try a pale blue with a hint of red to it such as perriwinkle.

by Anonymousreply 4April 17, 2021 12:25 PM

Mine is a warm turquoise. It’s calming and I love it.

by Anonymousreply 5April 17, 2021 12:26 PM

perriwinkle rooms look nice in a city but I don't like it in the suburbs or countryside.

by Anonymousreply 6April 17, 2021 12:30 PM

Gay periwinkle dining room. But not feminine. Gay man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 17, 2021 12:32 PM

I thought about painting my bedroom pink, but my bathroom is pink (I am a summer, and pink flatters me in the mirror) and I have ale pink sheets. I wound up painting the walls a soft, pale green with blue undertones. My bedroom is probably a bit feminine - but I don't care. I find it to be a relaxing space - which is just what you want in a bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 8April 17, 2021 12:33 PM

Roadster Yellow by Kelly Moore.

I am having a Nancy Lancaster moment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 17, 2021 1:24 PM

[quote]R8 I wound up painting the walls a soft, pale green with blue undertones... I find it to be a relaxing space - which is just what you want in a bedroom.

I had a paneled bedroom I used Relaxing Green in with an eggshell finish. It was very pretty and mellow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 17, 2021 1:32 PM

Mine are light yellow.

by Anonymousreply 11April 17, 2021 1:39 PM

You could choose a color based on Feng Shui locations of your room. Its a bit arbitrary but points into a direction and there is some thought behind the impact of the colors.

by Anonymousreply 12April 17, 2021 2:19 PM

Assuming you are gay OP, why would you care if your bedroom looks too gay? If you like those colors, there's nothing inherently feminine about them other than Western cultural associations of the past few decades.

I also think we should give a prize to the best color name (other than from the paint manufacturer). So far "glossy jungle green" seems to be winning.

by Anonymousreply 13April 17, 2021 2:28 PM

This is a Jungle Green Palette. I have between middle and first right. But it can look very dark with no light, and quite bright with daylight. in sunlight it glows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 17, 2021 2:40 PM

Gentle Gray by benjamin Moore. I like that it has some blue in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 17, 2021 2:50 PM

White. Every wall in our house is white.

by Anonymousreply 16April 17, 2021 2:51 PM

[quote]Too gay?

This concept does not exist on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 17April 17, 2021 2:58 PM

Brown. I can’t imagine why the former owner would do that. I haven’t screwed up the energy to change it.

by Anonymousreply 18April 17, 2021 3:06 PM

Beige & Taupe

by Anonymousreply 19April 17, 2021 3:24 PM

My Lady Cave

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 17, 2021 3:27 PM

Rental white and sadness.

by Anonymousreply 21April 17, 2021 3:28 PM

Avoid kelly green. Holy fuck was that a bad call.

Poppy worked when I had dark, dark furniture, but I should have done the ceiling in it as well.

by Anonymousreply 22April 17, 2021 3:31 PM

[quote] perriwinkle rooms look nice in a city but I don't like it in the suburbs or countryside.

That is the sort of stupid comment I expect from The Data Lounge. Periwinkle looks fine in the country or suburbs in cooler climates, particularly if one plants hydrangeas outside the windows. Delphinium, veronica, irises, lavender, salvia, etc, are all ways to tie a purplish-blue room to the outside.

by Anonymousreply 23April 17, 2021 4:03 PM

I find periwinkle too feminine and twee in the countryside. That's my aesthetic and it's not ridiculous. Perhaps in a house that is high on the coast overlooking water. But really not for me.

by Anonymousreply 24April 17, 2021 4:18 PM

My bedroom is a light pink. Although, it is offset by all the old movie posters that are mostly red and yellow. It’s a hot room that usually makes people want to puke.

by Anonymousreply 25April 17, 2021 4:24 PM

Thank you all! I love the London Stone r1. I will look at thr other suggestions too.

by Anonymousreply 26April 18, 2021 6:13 AM

Donald Kaufman Color (which are “full spectrum” mixes using many different pigments) has a grayish lavender that is probably very nice.

I would order a sample pot. DKC-85? DKC-36?

Call them and ask.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 18, 2021 6:46 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28April 18, 2021 6:47 AM

My walls are all either brick or concrete. I don't do paint.

by Anonymousreply 29April 18, 2021 6:51 AM

Are you incarcerated?

by Anonymousreply 30April 18, 2021 6:52 AM

No. Loft.

by Anonymousreply 31April 18, 2021 6:59 AM

R4 electric light which tends to make lavender grey or muddy.

Thank you for the tip r4. I use LED lights.

by Anonymousreply 32April 18, 2021 9:27 AM

[quote] a relaxing space - which is just what you want in a bedroom.

Yes to this. Is your yellow to perk you up r9?

by Anonymousreply 33April 18, 2021 8:27 PM

Possibly Pink by Sherwin Williams is barely perceptible as pink but a lovely shade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 18, 2021 8:37 PM

Dusty mauve is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 35April 18, 2021 8:38 PM

Sue Ann...no pink of lavender

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 18, 2021 8:52 PM

**or

by Anonymousreply 37April 18, 2021 8:52 PM

Try a deep purple blunted by mixing in a grey OP.

I did this color in my LA bedroom and it was stunning.

by Anonymousreply 38April 18, 2021 9:25 PM

A masculine pink is what Nicolas Fairfield painted on his bedroom walls. Here's the video of his bedroom makeover. I think pink is do-able.

Any pink or lavender you use would have to be neutralized. Pink & lavender can both veer towards cold, so I'd neutralize it in the warm direction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 18, 2021 9:34 PM

That color looks beige with an undertone of pink in the video. That is a pink for wimps. It takes a real man to paint his walls a real shade of pink.

by Anonymousreply 40April 18, 2021 9:39 PM

The wall color in the Nicolas Fairfield video looks like what was known as "passive pink". It was used in mental institutions and prisons because it was thought to instill passivity to the inmates.

by Anonymousreply 41April 18, 2021 9:50 PM

Homey cream (a pale yellow). We just did it and it looks great.

by Anonymousreply 42April 18, 2021 9:52 PM

Personally, I'm a fan of relaxing colors - like a sage green, not too verdant or bright.

Pale pink and lavender are not relaxing colors to me.

by Anonymousreply 43April 18, 2021 10:07 PM

R32, you do realize LED lights are electric lights?

You should test any color against the leds you use beast LEDs are not full spectrum and show off colors in unexpected ways.

by Anonymousreply 44April 18, 2021 10:42 PM

I tend to like pink, especially for bedrooms. We did our master bedroom in FB’s Sulking Room Pink, which for me, feels moody and earthy - and as far as pinks go, about as unfeminine as you can get. Our bedroom is quite a good size and has lots of west and south facing windows, I’d be leery of doing this colour in a small or dark room - I suspect it would tick over into drab and muddy.

by Anonymousreply 45April 18, 2021 11:01 PM

Are used a color called faded slick. It’s a Ralph Lauren color. It sometimes has a green hue and sometimes feels a little bit more blue. It is very restful.

I think you can do a pale pink. But you have to match it up with the right furniture. The video I saw earlier was absolutely the wrong thing to do. And you definitely want to stay away from white furniture and headboards. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 46April 18, 2021 11:02 PM

Deep blues are the most soothing color for bedrooms, get a blue like the twilight or night sky and you'll relax the moment you walk in!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 19, 2021 1:23 AM

I think light yellow and orange would be warming too.

Do you use different color schemes for each room? I think off white would be good enough for the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 48April 21, 2021 6:44 AM

My bedroom is Behr C'est La Vie, which is a shade of blue with a tiny touch of violet. The draperies are silvery grey, and the floors are hardwood (oak). The hallway and dining room leading to the bedrooms is a dark grey-purple. The other bedroom (that I use as my office) is a shade of celery green, and has the same color draperies, and the same hardwood flooring. I keep most electronics (and food) out of my bedroom, and the light bulbs are warm white, so the room, overall, is cool and relaxing. My living room is Tiffany Blue: all the room colors on my first floor are cool colors that complement each other. I'm too old to worry what people think of me when they see my house: I don't have that many people in, and it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49April 21, 2021 7:07 AM

Periwinkle or any shade of purple (lilac, etc) all look good only in places with very strong warm light, as any other light will distort its hue. That's true to many other color schemes as well.

As for Feng Shui theres nothing arbitrary about the choice of colors, if anything they are pretty much in synch with what current science has to say about colors and its impact on our mood based on their temperature.

by Anonymousreply 50April 21, 2021 7:24 AM

While we're at it , the best colors for a bedroom, according to science are all shades of blue, green and violet. They're the colors that will sooth your brain. I can't imagine sleeping in a yellow room for instance, or red, those are colors used in the motel industry so you won't stay too long.

by Anonymousreply 51April 21, 2021 7:30 AM

[quote]I’m thinking a pale pink or lavender for my bedroom walls. Too gay?

Too gay?

You mean "too gay" for the room where you get naked and beg men to pound your bussy harder?

by Anonymousreply 52April 21, 2021 7:59 AM

i like a pale gray. It goes with everything and it’s ageless, sexless, and emotionless.

by Anonymousreply 53April 21, 2021 8:02 AM

I didn't mean that Feng Shui color theory is arbitrary I meant that choosing to follow the theory is arbitrary. Like letting a knowledgeable (hopefully) decorator decide. People thing they themselves are the experts but sometimes you just pick and expert and use their advice - makes life easier and if the expert is good than the advice is good.

by Anonymousreply 54April 21, 2021 8:35 AM

[quote]R33 Is your yellow to perk you up?

Yes. I am not a morning person, and am usually even a little melancholic.

If I had a serene, womb-like bedroom I’d never get out of bed.

by Anonymousreply 55April 21, 2021 11:02 PM

Well, there's nothing more womb-like than a pink bedroom! Enough so to be a boner-killer!

So the bedroom of my dreams is either the blue of the twilight sky, or the green of a spring forest. Because I can't actually lay down to sleep every night under the twilight sky or in a spring forest, so I'll have to settle for the effect in color.

by Anonymousreply 56April 21, 2021 11:12 PM

Yellow in one house. whte in another. Both work for me.

by Anonymousreply 57April 22, 2021 12:30 AM

I see what you did there, R57.

by Anonymousreply 58April 22, 2021 2:12 AM

R57 what about the bedroom in your chalet?

by Anonymousreply 59April 22, 2021 8:28 AM

What what what did he do there?

by Anonymousreply 60April 22, 2021 9:37 AM

I’m trying to find a tobacco colored paint for behind my black headboard and this comforter, but I’m having no luck. Should I go with another color? I like the idea of tobacco, caramel or mocha but maybe I’m wrong. Any suggestions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 24, 2021 9:50 PM

Should a color make a statement or be a retiring background.

by Anonymousreply 62April 24, 2021 10:24 PM

That's up to whoever is living there, R62!

by Anonymousreply 63April 24, 2021 10:35 PM

💩 R61 don't pick any shade that can look like any kind of poo. 💩

by Anonymousreply 64April 24, 2021 10:57 PM

Very rarely brown walls are okay. Usually not, however.

Tread carefully!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65April 24, 2021 11:05 PM

Walls: Blush

Trim: Bashful

Honest to God, people.

by Anonymousreply 66April 24, 2021 11:05 PM

Reminder: you jackals tore me to bits when I said I was doing this, several months ago..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67April 25, 2021 9:20 AM

What is a sexy, warm, non-Frauish and highbrow colour for a very small room? One where the window faces the rising sun.

Mine is pink atm, but ever since seeing Jazz Jennings bedroom is in the same colour, I have a sudden urgent need to repaint it...

by Anonymousreply 68May 19, 2022 11:31 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 19, 2022 12:44 PM

Benjamin Moore cloud white. Bright without being cold in daylight, warm ivory, almost vanilla at night with the bedside lamps on. Before that (guess the decades) I had a deep moss green and then a blue somewhere between cornflower and turquoise. A custom jewel tone. I am most satisfied with the white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 19, 2022 12:49 PM

Whatever color the room is, that's what the color of the light will be.

I really hate most blue rooms. Blue is unkind to most skintones, especially POC. And if the room faces north it just compounds it. There are shades of turquoise that can make anyone look drained.

I like it on furniture and in smaller doses, but large expanses are unflattering. People think it's such an easy color to use, but it rarely sings.

by Anonymousreply 71May 19, 2022 1:16 PM

I know the thread is from 2021, but if you entertain (aka having tricks over and fuck in the bedroom) and care (way too much) what people think, you'd have to go with plain white walls. Because if you care, you care about the judgmental looks, the "but of course!" smirks, the "he's that kind of guy!" groans. Ruining your fuck sessions.

If you don't give a fuck, paint your walls the way you like them.

by Anonymousreply 72May 19, 2022 1:33 PM

I don't want my room to sing. I'm trying to fuck or sleep,

by Anonymousreply 73May 19, 2022 2:22 PM

Walls are creamy white, neutral carpet, pale blue and silver furnishings and dark polished wood.

by Anonymousreply 74May 19, 2022 2:24 PM

R70 Benjamin Moore’s Colour of the Year 2022 is ‘October Mist’, a silvery sage. Nice, but a bit insipid for a bedroom no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 19, 2022 3:06 PM

My dream bedroom will have walls this color, the blue of the sky at dusk...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 19, 2022 4:43 PM

Paint your bedroom in colors that make you happy. (that said b/c you asked for input, I hate pink, love lavender). I only like pink in nature- but that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 77May 19, 2022 5:09 PM

I just painted my bathroom blue lace by benjamin Moore and it is a lovely color. It is a cool light blue/ gray. It looks very gray in the evening and in the bright sun has more of a blue tint.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 19, 2022 5:11 PM

Pink no longer is used by (responsible, evidence-based-driven) jails and prisons because the pleasant, calming effects are short-term, and within 45 minutes have been shown to leave people with tension and irritability.

Lavender's better. BUT.

by Anonymousreply 79May 19, 2022 5:14 PM

Anyone recommend a colour (not white/neutral) that pairs well with linen blinds and warm medium-tone wood furniture?

My preference is probably for something mammalian or earthy and rich like a red, brown, raspberry or royal colour, but a jewel tone or a more green or purple wouldn't be a dealbreaker either. I want to feel cosy and protected in my space, but also frisky and intimate if anyone comes over.

Dove/lilac is the current colour on my walls (chosen by the previous occupants) and it looks so shabby and grubby, I can't stand it.

by Anonymousreply 80May 19, 2022 5:36 PM

Too ugly, not too gay.

by Anonymousreply 81May 19, 2022 5:49 PM

I painted a bedroom lavender. It's a very shady room, so I just kind of leaned into the cool twilight quality of the light. It's a tranquil space, which is what I wanted.

Light is everything. I'd never lived in a house with so much tree filtered light. I ended up painting my bathroom Benjamin Moore's Smoke Ring. In direct sunlight, the paint looks great, but in my bathroom, it looks blue.

by Anonymousreply 82May 19, 2022 6:16 PM

"Anyone recommend a colour (not white/neutral) that pairs well with linen blinds and warm medium-tone wood furniture?"

How about a light green? Something light in color but fairly muted intensity, if it's to go with medium-toned furniture and presumably off-white linens, and definitely a warm green and not a cool mold green! But light green rooms are mellow and pleasant places, and it's a color that takes light well.

I had celery green kitchen, and the color looked cheerful in sunlight and mellow and warm by electric light. Although that was a rather brighter shade than you see in the photo, the kitchen had a lot of white tile and light floors so it needed a more intense color than you do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 19, 2022 11:03 PM

Jungle Red

by Anonymousreply 84May 19, 2022 11:07 PM

It's a pale dusty rose. Drapes are in a slightly darker shade.

by Anonymousreply 85May 19, 2022 11:34 PM

not too gay for you princess.

by Anonymousreply 86May 20, 2022 1:32 AM

Medium cool grey with a contrast wall in rust red. It’s okay, I’d be happier with a wallpaper, but my partner picked the colors.

by Anonymousreply 87May 20, 2022 1:39 AM

Not at all, OP! ...Have you ever also considered shag??

by Anonymousreply 88May 20, 2022 1:50 AM

Mine is pale yellow.

by Anonymousreply 89May 20, 2022 1:52 AM

Metropolis CC-546 by Ben Moore in a satin finish. I love it so much. Pic doesn't do justice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 20, 2022 2:02 AM

How utterly unattractive, Beigeboy r90.

by Anonymousreply 91May 20, 2022 2:08 AM

^ yeah, stick with purple, it aligns with your utter lack of taste.

by Anonymousreply 92May 20, 2022 2:10 AM

You can never be too rich, too thin or too gay.

by Anonymousreply 93May 20, 2022 2:15 AM

We have a grey/green...sort of Eucalyptus gum colour with white wooden shutters. We live on the coast so fits in well.

by Anonymousreply 94May 20, 2022 2:18 AM

Ralph Lauren faded silk. A soft green with gray undertones

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 20, 2022 2:47 AM

I’ve always dreamed of parlor purple similar to the living room in Grey Gardens. Veri Peri is Pantone’s color of the year. That could be lovely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 20, 2022 3:26 AM

Look you're a big ol' insatiable bottom who mostly gets fucked in the dark or by anonymous men.

by Anonymousreply 97May 20, 2022 3:29 AM

[quote]Dove/lilac is the current colour on my walls (chosen by the previous occupants) and it looks so shabby and grubby, I can't stand it.

Well, perhaps the previous occupant was "artiistic", R80.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98May 20, 2022 3:38 AM

Thank you R95..."Faded silk' we are.

by Anonymousreply 99May 20, 2022 3:59 AM

R18, your post is word for word what I would have said. I keep wondering what on earth it’s going to take to make me get in there and DO SOMETHING about it.

by Anonymousreply 100May 20, 2022 4:46 AM

Go with blue, sage green, or gray.

by Anonymousreply 101May 20, 2022 5:01 AM

R96, I love periwinkle blues and will squeal with delight when I can find a shirt in that color (which looks fabulous on me), but I think it's too cool for an interior wall color. Blues that are too cool can have a dreary, depressing effect when you fill a whole room to them, and really, the only other colors that match well with perwinkles are pinks and purlples. And a room full of pinks, purples, and periwinkles is too gay even for me!

I don't fully understand why warm blues are easier to be surrounded by than cool blues, but I think it's true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102May 20, 2022 5:04 AM

I once painted my living room light pink with burgundy colored drapes and Lazyboys. I cringe, thinking about it, but that was before the internet. I was nesting and channeling something geriatric.

by Anonymousreply 103May 20, 2022 5:04 AM

Pink or lavender are perfect for your vintage boudoir doll collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104May 20, 2022 5:11 AM

Not only is that too gay, but too stereotypically gay! My walls are mint green!

by Anonymousreply 105May 20, 2022 9:06 AM

R87 aren't accent/contrast walls a dying trend now? I thought they were considered OVAH.

by Anonymousreply 106May 20, 2022 3:03 PM

[quote] We did our master bedroom in FB’s Sulking Room Pink, which for me, feels moody and earthy - and as far as pinks go, about as unfeminine as you can get. Our bedroom is quite a good size and has lots of west and south facing windows, I’d be leery of doing this colour in a small or dark room - I suspect it would tick over into drab and muddy.

This was going to be my bedroom colour last year, but I balked at the last minute and went with grey.

My room is tiny and only has one window (East-facing) albeit quite a large one, so perhaps I made the right decision? I still want a different colour, but idk what would work in such a tiny space? And what I can use that goes with bright white skirting/trim, ceiling & window (I rent, and am not allowed to paint those).

by Anonymousreply 107May 22, 2022 9:07 PM

I once had a bedroom this color, the color of evening skies. It was so relaxing! Lying down on the bed activated surrounded by the color of evening activated the body's natural sleep cycle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108May 22, 2022 10:54 PM

I like this shade of warm light mauve.

It's almost a neutral, but not quite, and goes well with wood and neutral colors. If anyone had the kind of wood floors and neutral furniture that's been in style for the last decade, a color like this would add a little life to a neutral room.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 23, 2022 4:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!