Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Painting a bedroom

Today I must buy paint to make over my new east-facing bedroom. Looking for a style that befits a soft-goth 30-something hellbilly navigating the decline of the West (aesthetic is Brandon Lee’s Crow, but rural).

Given the small size of the space, I’m thinking of going with either jasmine, pebble grey, charcoal, deep navy, rose, plum-burgundy, or chocolate. Then adding dark drapes/blinds, lamp, art and furniture.

by Anonymousreply 58September 23, 2020 1:41 AM

Notes: the room is big enough for a double bed, a bare rug, and a bookcase but that is all. The overhead light fixture is a little deco thing in glass & goldplate. The white PVC window (I know, I hate it too) and the medium-dark wood door both are inset with many small square glass panes in a grid. I don’t yet have blinds or curtains, and the carpet is a fairly gross 70s utilitarian beige Berber(sp?) which I don’t think I can change.

by Anonymousreply 1August 28, 2020 10:57 AM

Hellbilly, wow, a new word. I'm a Depeche Mode tech goth myself, or used to be when younger, but honestly I rarely let that slip into my home design.

by Anonymousreply 2August 28, 2020 11:00 AM

I suggest wallpaper—

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 28, 2020 11:00 AM

I'm with r3 though not necessarily that pattern. Check out some gothic wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 4August 28, 2020 11:04 AM

The OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5August 28, 2020 11:06 AM

i a;ways loved vampire bill's charcoal office on true blood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6August 28, 2020 11:08 AM

Frau cunt thread

by Anonymousreply 7August 28, 2020 11:26 AM

R5 nailed it, that is totally what I’m going for. Except crossed with some Kate Bush, and Christina Ricci in CASPER.

R6 nice catch, that grey looks stylish and adult but also moody. I forgot about TRUE BLOOD as a potential source of inspiration, though honestly if we’re talking vamps I’m more of a NEAR DARK or CONSTANTINE or even LOST BOYS kinda gal. I like some romance and mystery pop/cult in my bloodsucking.

R3/R4 I thought about wallpaper and I like that design (though black skulls is a little on the nose for me), but I’m short on time and nowhere sells or ships to me quick enough in the short order of time that I have. Also the bespoke & cool ones are out of my budget, and cheap janky wallpaper looks worse than nothing imo.

And should I paint or paper the ceiling? From all of you I now know that accent walls are tacky and monochrome is the way, but does that extend to the ceiling too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8August 28, 2020 11:27 AM

Yes, tons of ideas from True Blood!

Check the show out for inspiration, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9August 28, 2020 11:29 AM

we bought an old house when i was growing up with wallpaper everywhere. we kept most of it as it was in good shape and it was keeping the plaster on the walls. some advice: just paint over it or you will have crumbling wall. one bedroom it was pastoral and pinks with a charcoal background. i painted the trim a glossy similar, a bit darker, to the color on the wallpaper. it looked great! i have been wanting to do it since.

by Anonymousreply 10August 28, 2020 11:38 AM

rose pink sounds fun and Gothy

by Anonymousreply 11August 28, 2020 11:42 AM

R10 thanks, those are killer tips. Til now I hadn’t thought of the trim, and looking up pictures of similar rooms I think the contrast creates a dope effect. How best to decorate around that? I favour a heavy fabric and dark woods, but on the other hand I have a lot of morning light flooding into the room over a low-to-the-floor pallet bed (I’m a broke Millennial, it’s all I can get and afford right now) which I fear may look amiss in a rich shadowy rose room.

R11 agreed. A dark, deep damask strikes the balance I’m looking for between warm and charming, but also making a statement that is moody and a bit dramatic.

R9 the coppery goldtone in Eric’s foyer is quite attractive to me, as is the charcoal in his study. They give the spaces a close but aloof atmosphere that I love. There presents a problem of either of these colours making my bedroom look too much like an office, but then again I like the gothy androgyny of both. This is a tough decision...

by Anonymousreply 12August 28, 2020 1:04 PM

You're fucking fabulous OP. I'd love to see a before/after pic when you're done.

R6 - I always loved Bill's office. Nice post.

by Anonymousreply 13August 28, 2020 1:08 PM

So many frau cunts with no taste

by Anonymousreply 14August 28, 2020 1:53 PM

R13 right back at you. Once I’m fine decorating I’ll see if I can get a tinypic or Flickr snap up.

Right now I’m searching for the exact rose colour I want on HEX Finder. The best way to describe it is a shadowy sulky dusty mulberry/plum/desert hue (so, as far from pastel or Molly Ringwald as possible).

by Anonymousreply 15August 28, 2020 2:01 PM

If you color-coordinate the flowers on your terrasse,well-window sims with the interieure it will give the room more depths. Know what i mean?

Love Barbra

p.s.: never wear orange pyjamas in there, ever

p.p.s.: if that lamp-troll shows up and suggests fake tiffany, you´re in danger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16August 28, 2020 2:10 PM

OP, I have a friend who painted one of her spare rooms in several different shades of the same color, walls, trim, ceiling. She chose the shades to accentuate the effects of natural light at the brightest time of day. It's rather unsettling .

by Anonymousreply 17August 28, 2020 2:35 PM

LMAO R16. It’s crimson carnations only in my life, but maybe come spring I could see my way clear to some dessicated pansies, daffodils & marigolds. There is a beautiful French lavender growing right outside the windows of my new place that perfume the house. And I have never even set foot in a Tiffanys, to the shock of no-one.

R17 hmmm, that’s an extreme approach your friend took - almost like she was painting a film set for Tim Burton. Admittedly I admire her boldness and theory, though as you say the result was dubious and polarising, perhaps not even working. Is there a specific reason you find it creepy? Personally I don’t mind an unsettling effect, as I am single and don’t have callers or guests to sleep in my room, but I don’t want anyone who comes by calling in to have me sectioned either.

Given the constraints on my budget and my time to decorate the place before move-in, I’m not sure I could get to paint the ceiling and every wall in all different shades even if I wanted and it was in the plan, though I am toying with a matte copper or mulberry for the trim. It’s decided by DL arbiters that a magnolia ceiling and a beige carpet fine with rose walls is acceptable, then?

The hardware store shut early today, but I am planning to make it there for opening tomorrow and pick up the colour(s?) I need.

by Anonymousreply 18August 28, 2020 4:26 PM

Now, the next part should be interesting.

Furniture - I already have a dark walnut pallet bed and side-table to go in, but no other furnishings beyond plain white linen/silk bedclothes and a grandmother’s quilt. In the room there are already papery vertical panel blinds attached across the window mullins, plus sitting in the corner the ugliest most basic pale pine bookshelf I have ever espied. The ceiling light (some sort of halogen energy saver) is insipid and I may swap it for something else, but I don’t mind the glass shade (I’d prefer smoked/tinted).

Considering the desired aesthetic, I’m thinking the best route to dirty up the place and make it more my own is to obtain a chair or footstool in beat up torn leather/PCV (in black or red?), freestanding candlesticks (I use candles and incense often, so they won’t be clutter), big reading lamp with a fringed shade (in...some style, idk), and perhaps a mix of Americana & Chinoiserie/Japonais décor pieces (kind of like in the tv shows CARNIVALE or FIREFLY).

Inspiration for artwork and the necessary bureau & bookshelves situation eludes me, but I do at least know that I want to steer clear of the clichéd all-black-dungeon Ozzy Osbourne/Renn Faire/South Park Goth Kids style and resist painting everything black..

Of course I’m going to be staying in this new place a minimum of 12 months, but it may end up being more like a 30+ tenancy so I would like to put a stamp on at least the room in which I’ll sleep. The rest of the place (a bungalow) is decorated in a stuffy but interesting world-fusion ‘70s hotel style (its owned by an elderly jet setter who used to live in the Far East).

by Anonymousreply 19August 28, 2020 4:32 PM

Dark grey is really in vogue and looks great with white ceilings and window frames. Can be paired with absolutely everything. Both fashion and goth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20August 28, 2020 5:51 PM

If you want your bedroom to seem larger, feel restful, and be in a color that can be adapted to a depressive aesthetic, paint it a deep twilight blue.

Blue is the color of the sky and of distant mountains, the brain interprets it as the color of open spaces, so rooms painted in deep blues feel larger. It's also the color of twilight, which gives a mood of relaxation and restfulness to normal people, although if you're serious about the "Crow" aesthetic perhaps the onset of night makes you think of nightlife or the undead rising, which will also be a win for you. And if you like a Goth sort of look, a few dark pieces of furniture or black accessories will get the job done cheap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21August 28, 2020 8:41 PM

A lighter blue still gives the feeling of open space and restful twilight sky, although it's not as easily adaptable to a depressive aesthetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22August 28, 2020 8:42 PM

Here ya go, fat goth gurl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 29, 2020 12:17 AM

That looks like Marie Antoinette's bedroom where she's dreaming up new cake recipes R23.

by Anonymousreply 24August 29, 2020 1:10 AM

R21 ahhh, that looks delicious, now I’m torn again. I vibe with the depth and regality of that hue. I prefer it to grey, even. Though for some reason it does give me a little ‘hotel suite’ flavour that I’m not crazy about...🤔

R23 hahah, that is pure Coppola/Dunst. I do like a classic lavender on walls and I enjoy the Rococo style, but it is a little too striving, fussy and delicate for me and for what I’m going for (Troma/MTV gothabilly with a side of midwestern melancholy).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25August 29, 2020 11:11 AM

Oh and R23 I’m 130lbs and 5”7, thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 26August 29, 2020 11:13 AM

R25/OP, that share ed of blue is lovely, but for the true restful"twilight" effect you want a shade that's slightly cooler and slightly more muted.

Leave the house and look at the twilight sky, when you have some free evenings.

by Anonymousreply 27August 29, 2020 11:17 AM

OP here. My painting didn't exactly go to plan, but I don't think it's a total loss.

Long story short - I was about to start painting up my four bedroom walls in a nice deep dusky rose (that I would later trim in a darker mauve), when my landlady unexpectedly arrived to see how I'm settling in and to check everything is in order as we agreed. She seems shocked that I'm doing over one of her rooms in my chosen pink, and sits me down with a hot drink to request that I don't do it. She's a nice enough woman and I really need to rent this place, but at the same time she never said anything during our agreements about not painting the walls. So I politely stated my case. After much back and forth, eventually I talked her into letting me paint one wall in my rose, and then going over the others in a lilacy-dove tinted taupe (at the link) she had leftover from her own house renovations.

It's not really want I want in terms of aesthetic, but as compromises go it's ok I guess. At least the rising sun will hit my rose wall, and hopefully give the room a warm pink glow in the mornings. The taupe is alright, kind of insipid and candy-like for my tastes, but admittedly it does give a cool retro '80s-'90s effect that I'm into.

Now I'm not sure how to proceed with getting drapes/curtains, a rug, a lamp, a bureau/dresser and so on. How can I choose pieces that don't clash with the pink & purple scheme I have accidentally created, and don't make the room look like Jem & The Holograms as told by Tim Burton? Pastel Loli-Goth wasn't my desired vibe...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28September 1, 2020 12:40 AM

-0/10

by Anonymousreply 29September 1, 2020 12:48 AM

post the paint swatches. And the room.

by Anonymousreply 30September 1, 2020 12:55 AM

Dark gray? Deep rose? Midnight blue?

Yeah, OP, no. You're a renter and apparently a short-term renter. Fuck your aesthetic.

by Anonymousreply 31September 1, 2020 1:08 AM

"How can I choose pieces that don't clash with the pink & purple scheme I have accidentally created"

Neutrals.

Black or gray, if you want the room to look Goth-ier (warm grays will go better with the taupe than cool grays), or ivory or cream if you want the place to look more cheery or girly. Dark brown wood furniture might work, but because of the taupe, browns are going to be difficult - no brown with warm, red, or gold tones will work with it. Look around for a quilt or comforter that has a touch of the same pink or lavender as the walls, but better to have the pink or lavender as a secondary color, because too much pink or lavender will make your place will look like Delores Umbridge lives there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32September 1, 2020 4:30 AM

Just paint one wall a charcoal grey. Then, paint your other walls a white, or a very light grey/beige. You can add a faux crown molding around the edge of the Dark Charcoal grey wall for interest. Paint the crown molding satin white. With this you can go wine (burgundy to plum) or Blue, with your duvet cover.

If you want a minimalist style, paint the wall WHITE to a grey-beige. You can go white to naturals with linens. You can add in heirloom wood pieces and metals.

by Anonymousreply 33September 1, 2020 6:33 AM

R31 fuck you right back, baby. It's just a wall, it can be repainted back - and I will repaint it the old beige, once I leave. As it is, I wanted a change and a personal touch, which I got (though it wasn't exactly what I envisioned).

One of my previous posts literally says that I will likely be renting for a few years or more, it's just hard to give a time-frame right now. You sign a minimum tenancy to start with as a matter of course.

Before the move-in, it was agreed with my new landlady that I could redecorate if I wanted. It was just that she caught me unawares and took exception to the vibrant colour I was using, probably out of surprise and because she's old as dirt. The compromise I made with her was fair, given what we'd already agreed and how long I'd like to stay (longer than a year or two, finances and climate permitting) but also taking her feelings into account. This woman has like six other houses in more salubrious areas, and the one I'm in is the smallest and most out-of-the-way. If she'd have cried and said I was wrecking her house or got angry or threatened me with eviction, then of course I would have just left the room as it was or painted it white.

by Anonymousreply 34September 1, 2020 1:12 PM

Frau cunt thread.

by Anonymousreply 35September 1, 2020 1:21 PM

Thank you R32 and R33 for your excellent suggestions. I'm so clueless about decorating, so any good advice is most welcome and appreciated.

The molding is a fantastic idea, and I'm looking into it as we speak. I think it will really frame and heighten the room, which isn't terribly high and could use some structure. Would it still ideally need to be satin white for a taupe or rose wall? And will it clash with the wood of my bed if it's painted? (I will be staining the bed darker, maybe an ashy-grey color).

Grey & ivory were already going to be potential top choices for my new linens and furnishings, so I'm glad that they will check out fine in the space. Though isn't a warm grey somewhat on the pink side, which I shouldn't go too heavy on? The fabric type is also a conundrum; the natural goth style favours velvet and silk and heavy blanketing, but I worry that is a little on the extreme side of things and also not in-keeping with the backwoods-country thing I want.

Minimalism is not really my deal, but my spaces can end up looking that way because I don't own very much and I don't like mess or clutter either. Heirloom pieces is a great idea. I like metals and florals more than stone and wood/plants, so these suggestions suit me. Which metals, though? Copper & bronze are surely too pink and kitsch and '50s, but black iron is too forbidding and at odds. So many choices...

by Anonymousreply 36September 1, 2020 1:23 PM

"Though isn't a warm grey somewhat on the pink side, which I shouldn't go too heavy on?"

A warm gray is a gray with a bit of brown in it, which will complement the taupe you mentioned as taupe is a brown with a lot of gray in it. But now you're saying beige, ie is taupe or beige??? Well, if you want gray, grab a fistful of gray paint chips the paint chips at your local paint store, see what goes and doesn't with your wall colors, individually and collectively. I think warm grays with a bit of brown might do.

by Anonymousreply 37September 1, 2020 7:42 PM

Sorry R37, I should have been clearer. Your paint chips idea is a really good one, I'm going to do that next time I run to the hardware store (probably soon, to get filler and crown molding w/gloss).

Let me explain better. The main colour of paint I was handed and asked to use is sold as 'taupe' on the tin, but is in reality a very lilac/dove-grey take on what you'd imagine as typical 'taupe', more purple than brown and quite light - see the link at my post at R28 for the exact hue that it is, and the link below for the shade of rose-pink I chose. This is why I was worried about getting any furnishings that contained elements of strong pink or purple, because my walls are now this colour to stay thanks to meddling (and I have used my budgeted time and money on paint).

Having looked it up and read the other posts here, apparently ivory is a better choice than white for linens in a space with the colours I've used and the style I want, but perhaps I misinterpreted that. On browsing the internet for inspiration, I'm liking the idea of cast iron, matte ceramic or concrete for pieces such as a chair/stool, a bureau, and vase plus a large rug in a dark shadowy steel/charcoal (or indigo?? do I dare?). I also require a couple of low-watt reading lamps, some original art prints (preferably something 60s-70s psychedelic goth/biker metal style), cushions for the bed and floor, and of course an obligatory large throw for winter. Probably I will search for tints of rose to create pops of interest.

As I said, I'm learning and new at this, trying to improve myself. Forgive me, I was raised by a Frau and her lumbering DH, and grew up into a trashy hillbilly lesbian. Suggestions and corrections are still wholly welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38September 1, 2020 10:24 PM

Am I the only one who wants to slap the shit out of OP? What a shallow, vapid piece of shit. Or in recovery (good luck!)

by Anonymousreply 39September 1, 2020 11:08 PM

I'd rather hang out with the OP than you, R39!

And we'd look in your direction and snigger at you, it's no more than you deserve.

by Anonymousreply 40September 1, 2020 11:10 PM

"Snigger"? Who are you, Eliza Dolittle?

by Anonymousreply 41September 1, 2020 11:26 PM

I am not really a fan of those paint colors. Are you sure? I loathe throw pillows.

How big is this room? Dark colors will shrink it. White is clean and opens up the space.

IF you are goth, I would do the charcoal grey color on one wall and do some crown molding around that wall for interest. This is both gothic, victorian and modern.

by Anonymousreply 42September 2, 2020 2:21 AM

[R32} is this your room op?

by Anonymousreply 43September 2, 2020 2:24 AM

How did it all turn out OP? I don't suppose you would share any pics with us? I'd love to see what you ended up doing.

by Anonymousreply 44September 19, 2020 11:44 AM

You sound both twee and exhausting, OP.

by Anonymousreply 45September 19, 2020 11:49 AM

I’m picturing this OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 19, 2020 12:40 PM

Goth looks cheap and tacky to me unless the furniture is victorian. Go antiquing!

by Anonymousreply 47September 19, 2020 1:28 PM

Op of you are looking for a warm gray try “anew gray” by sherwin Williams. I just did my foyer, kitchen and living room in this color. It is warm enough that when against sun it gives off more of a taupe color, but it won’t flash green undertones - which is what you can get with a lot of other gray/Taupe paints. Also if it is a wall that gets lots of sun, mix your paint with some floetrol - this makes the finish look most professional. The paint not only goes on super smooth, it also prevents dreaded roller marks/flashing that can creep up and be noticeable when hit with direct sunlight

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 22, 2020 7:28 PM

It’s not a good time to expose your lungs to fumes while Covid is spreading again all across the country. The numbers are through the roof.

by Anonymousreply 49September 22, 2020 7:31 PM

I hate gray in east facing rooms. Looks dingy.

by Anonymousreply 50September 22, 2020 7:34 PM

This thread is more full of Mary! than the gift shop at Our Lady of Lourdes!

by Anonymousreply 51September 22, 2020 7:44 PM

I found a good etsy shop for you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 22, 2020 9:03 PM

Just do white. If you really need a darker color, do a navy blue or forest green. I would just do one accent wall though. I really do not like dark color rooms.

by Anonymousreply 53September 22, 2020 10:19 PM

Never do white in rooms that get a lot of shadow. Or at least do an off white.

by Anonymousreply 54September 22, 2020 10:47 PM

Op if your looking for a nice blue - I recommend Sherwin Williams “Naval”

It’s can look gorgeous with the right lighting and decor. It’s also 2020’s color of the year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 22, 2020 11:24 PM

Why don't you just do something unconventional? It sounds like you want too. If you are funky, just do it.

by Anonymousreply 56September 23, 2020 12:25 AM

R48 isn't very good at linking.

by Anonymousreply 57September 23, 2020 1:14 AM

OP you are so long winded. Stop being a free advice vampire.

Who cares about your tacky style anyway.

I don’t think you’re real.

by Anonymousreply 58September 23, 2020 1:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!