Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Looks like a big rise in sea level is coming. Will you lose your home and property?

New Orleans will go I'm thinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69April 20, 2021 7:28 AM

This time for 𝒔𝒖𝒓𝒆

by Anonymousreply 1April 9, 2021 5:09 PM

Drown 'em

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 9, 2021 5:10 PM

What does he know that these scientists don't?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 9, 2021 5:13 PM

I'm a 1000 feet above sea level, so I'm good. Glad the beach will be a bit closer

/s

by Anonymousreply 4April 9, 2021 5:14 PM

R3 why would the Obamas make Martha's vineyard their home? Isn't it lily white?

by Anonymousreply 5April 9, 2021 5:31 PM

R5 Apparently there's a wealthy African-American enclave in Oak Bluffs which is close by according to this old thread on Obamas place

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 9, 2021 5:38 PM

I’m looking forward to this.

It’s not like we werent warned

by Anonymousreply 7April 9, 2021 7:07 PM

Q: If everyone on Earth sat in the ocean at once, how much would sea level rise?

The answer? The total rise in sea level would be about 0.00012 of an inch, or less than 1/1000th of an inch. If everyone completely submerged themselves, this would double the answer to 0.00024 inches, which is still only about the width of a human hair.

It turns out the oceans are enormous – and humans are just a drop in the bucket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 9, 2021 7:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 9, 2021 7:52 PM

R3, His actuarial probability?

by Anonymousreply 10April 9, 2021 8:52 PM

Digression: Some photos of the Obamas' new home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11April 9, 2021 9:02 PM

My hometown in Boston Harbor is a 30 minute boat ride to Martha’s Vineyard and more than half the town is to be submerged by 2050. They’re already having serious issues with sewage lines backing up and roads flooding during torrential rain storms. It’s basically a 2.2 square mile spit of sand out into the harbor at sea level.

by Anonymousreply 12April 9, 2021 9:48 PM

i hate when all the ice cubes in my drink melt and the cup overflows.

by Anonymousreply 13April 9, 2021 9:52 PM

I live in Denver, so no. I imagine more idiots will move here, and continue to drive up housing costs, though

by Anonymousreply 14April 9, 2021 9:53 PM

If you want to work out if you're going to need to swim around your home by 2050, there is his nifty little online tool linked below, called Whats My Elevation. It isnt strictly accurate for really large properties though, so take with a grain of salt, as it will likely be an average across the whole place

I'm not worried as my place is 105 feet above sea level (Strava shows me as 32 metres so not far off)

Mar El Lago (at 1100 S Ocean Blvd, Palm Beach, FL 33480)that R2 linked is just 10 feet above sea level

But Obama's new place (79 Turkeyland Cove Rd, Edgartown, MA 02539) is only 3 feet, but it is a big property though, 29 acres

The Obamas will need to be taking swim lessons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 10, 2021 4:26 AM

Wow r11 ! the Obamas have arrived! A highly successful career I must say. Presidency, I'm not so sure. But congrats anyway overall!

by Anonymousreply 16April 10, 2021 7:18 AM

I'm at 2200 feet, so not worried at all about losing my home or property. However, if the sea level rises as much as predicted, there will be a massive shift in population in our country and around the world, which might mean that displaced people will be knocking at my door - I hope they won't be knocking with guns. . 60 million Americans live close enough to a coast to be seriously affected.in the coming decades . My understanding is that Obama's home is on a hill or a rise on their 29 acre property, so their house is probably 30 feet or higher above sea level. This sea level rise is a real issue. Huge swaths of coastal forests in North Carolina are dying, because of salt water intrusion - in many cases, a mile or so from the current ocean front. Water delivery systems in Florida are finding that their wells are becoming brackish and needs desalinating treatment before it is drinkable. Sewage is backing up in some places. I think anyone buying coastal property anywhere in the Southeast, where the coastal plain is flat and stays close to sea level for miles inland is nuts. If you set the map below on even 10 m (30 feet) huge amounts of coastal America disappear At 100 meters (300 feet) Florida disappears completely, and huge chunks of coastal Virginia, North and South Carolina, ,Georgia Texas, are simply underwater.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 10, 2021 7:23 AM

Also... beyond a certain point, some of the glacial meltwater that enters the sea is going to evaporate & feed hurricanes that will dump vast quantities of that water inland, where much of it will end up in new or enlarged lakes, so it's not necessarily zero-sum glacier to sea-level.

Personally, I laugh when Canadians worry about global warming, because Canada has more to directly gain from it than any country besides Russia. Any loss of rural coastal land in the Maritime Provinces will be offset a hundred thousand times by southern Canada acquiring the climate of Virginia, and northern Canada being as warm as Toronto & Montreal are today.

by Anonymousreply 20April 10, 2021 7:59 AM

Very cool site r17. No need to worry r18 bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 21April 10, 2021 8:29 AM

I'm 200 m above sea level. My worry is that the Gulf Stream will weaken or even stop, making us in Ireland as cold as Canada and Russia for 6 months of the year.

by Anonymousreply 22April 10, 2021 8:48 AM

We might have more to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 23April 10, 2021 9:43 AM

It doesn't bother me because I'm a seagull.

I'll probably just perch on a buoy or fly around a car park further inland.

by Anonymousreply 24April 10, 2021 10:24 AM

Will this be a Gen Z problem? Eldergays will all be being spitroasted on hell by the time the levels rise.

by Anonymousreply 25April 10, 2021 1:25 PM

[quote] Personally, I laugh when Canadians worry about global warming, because Canada has more to directly gain from it than any country besides Russia. Any loss of rural coastal land in the Maritime Provinces will be offset a hundred thousand times by southern Canada acquiring the climate of Virginia, and northern Canada being as warm as Toronto & Montreal are today.

Yup - arable land will extend much farther north in Saskatchewan and Alberta. We’ll control an ice-free route through the Arctic Ocean that avoids Russia. And the sea level rise for the coasts won’t be as significant as it will be for locations closer to the equator.

by Anonymousreply 26April 10, 2021 1:44 PM

r19, math isn't your strongpoint, is it sweetheart ?

I'm linking an article where someone HAS done the math, and if all the glacial ice of antarctica melted, global sea level would actual rise......you guessed it........about 300 feet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 11, 2021 7:47 AM

You're seriously quoting Watts up with that, a website paid for by the fossil fuel industry and by the Koch brothers? A many times discredited website? A website that ignores the cumulative research of the 98% of climate scientists, physicists, geologists, and others who not only believe in climate change, but have the research to prove that it is real? Everything from documented rise in sea level in the arctic to retreat of glaciers all over the planet to increasing temperatures both on land and at sea, to the march of species towards the poles as the arctic regions warm to record levels. For God's sake, the cherry blossoms in Japan are blooming 6 weeks earlier than they did when the Japanese began keeping meticulous records about that......in 800 AD! That's pathetic. Try AGAIN. This time using a credible source.

by Anonymousreply 30April 11, 2021 8:31 AM

PS, the most recent survey finds that 100% of published peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals now fully support a global-warming perspective. How ridiculous to pretend that there is a scientific argument to be made against it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31April 11, 2021 8:36 AM

[quote] 100% of published peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals now fully support a global-warming perspective.

Meaning the journals refuse dissenting views. Until very recently science prided itself on its willingness to challenge orthodox thinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33April 11, 2021 10:10 AM

I'm not the person you are sassing R32, but the fact that you even think temperature is the main part of climate change, tells me not to listen to you.

But sure, ignore science, with your conspiracy theories. I don't know shit about what Obama does, but i do know what I'm seeing with my own eyes and it's very different than the 80s.

Anyone that is observant of nature can see it, even without a science degree. Insects encroaching that couldn't survive well in northern areas, diseases in plants, along with invasive species choking out native plants, animal behavior changes, like mating times, geese not migrating, etc. Spring starting 2 wks earlier, fall 2 wks later.

And the reason it's no longer "global warming" is because of people (similar to you) that won't stop insisting it's all about temperatures alone. They see it snow and jump on Facebook to post conspiracy rants on how it's a scam (even though there's no economic advantage to drastically changing lifestyles), ignoring that any drastic weather will be the consequence, regardless of temperature.

The reason people keep moving along is the same reason people gamble living next to volcanoes -- there's short term fast gains living in the now. I'm guessing the people of Pompeii also didn't think anything would ever happen, because hell, the wealthy were all still living there.

On that topic, interesting that our current wealthy overlords are snatching up property in places like NZ, where the government had to slow them down. Of course those better off are still buying in nice areas, it's not happening overnight, and they have the resources to GTFO when shit hits the fan. Even as a firm believer in climate change, I know if I was rich enough, I'd enjoy those areas while they're available, because why not?

The reason there's such little action (propaganda from the right) is due to wealth "opportunities" with land opening up that was once frozen, along with trade routes that are inaccessible at the moment. It's human arrogance and greed, knowing those that will pay the most are inconsequential to those that "matter" (like with all of history, where the majority are considered no more than working cogs.)

R33 another nuts conspiracy theory I see. Sure, there's different views with science all the time, but with climate change, suddenly that's "not allowed" 🙄 one again -- anyone observant of nature is able to tell climate is changing rather quickly. Maybe not fast enough for you to believe, but it's fast enough when it's happened during my short 30yr lifetime. I'm convinced deniers aren't observant of nature, it makes them feel better, just plain ignorant, or have investment to gain by denying it.

by Anonymousreply 34April 11, 2021 10:22 AM

Bye Bye, Malibu

by Anonymousreply 35April 11, 2021 10:26 AM

Wait, what now?

by Anonymousreply 36April 11, 2021 10:37 AM

[quote]If everyone completely submerged themselves

If wishes were horses...

by Anonymousreply 37April 11, 2021 10:39 AM

I'll add that there's tons of geological evidence that water covered more land mass at certain points in time, so the whole smart ass "I just hate when my glass overflows from icecubes" doesn't understand its not about some melting icecubes in the oceans.

Last year was absolute hell for gardening and I don't expect it to be much better this year (if not worse). There's a lot more to climate change than just temps and water. Not that saying it will stop some people from disregarding the consequences, until crops are ruined, or storms get to be too much to handle. Just ask the nothern ski resorts about business in the past decade, where 80% of winter, they're making snow (barely because it's not consistent enough to sustain.) People up north have been unloading equipment for winter hobbies for multiple years now, with exception of a rare uptick this year due to covid boredom.

Just in the past year or two, we've had crazy weather patterns -- a tornado in an area that shouldn't happen, intense winter lightning storms, heavy snowfalls in short time periods, followed by flooding from it all melting at once, diseased insects breeding earlier and for longer due to conditions, infrastructure damaging ice storms, constant high wind alerts, etc.

I know it's reparative, but I can not stress enough how much is changing in a short time span, that should be noticeable to anyone looking around. Just recently I was talking to an old farmer about the increasing amount of Canadian geese staying winters. This simple farmer, with unknown political values, even remarked how this unusual behavior caught his eye as well. It started as a relatively small number maybe a few years ago, but now it seems that half have figured out they don't need to migrate. Butterflies and hummingbirds are also leaving later into fall.

Any local hunter should be able to point out the deer mating much later. The past 2 yrs, the rut has been off by at least a month. Crops and other plants are not ripening/ blooming at right times, sometimes not at all. As mundane as it sounds, these little changes matter.

Best not count on fleeing to fresh water areas either, when booming development is actually lowering water tables in general. Towns are scurrying to build more water towers, with a lot of well dependent areas suffering, from too much usage in a small area. I'm guessing they'll eventually regret dumping mass sewage in every creek and lake soon enough. While undrinkable salt water is encroaching, fresh water will be stretched thin. It doesn't take too much to make an area inhabitable.

by Anonymousreply 38April 11, 2021 10:58 AM

Bring It On

by Anonymousreply 41April 11, 2021 4:33 PM

my mom thinks our cottage on Lake Michigan is in danger due to rising sea levels . " No mom , that water isn't goin to back 600feet up over Niagara Falls to do this"

We have other lake level problems ,. however, but seems to have peaked!

by Anonymousreply 42April 11, 2021 4:38 PM

R17 / R27 OP's article is only estimating a sea level rise of tens of centimetres, not 300 feet or anything near that. Even the article linked at R17 only estimates 206 feet max

[quote]The study doesn’t cite an estimate of the level of rise if could cause, but Gilbert said, “My gut feeling is for 4C it could potentially contribute tens of centimetres if they did collapse.”

Climate change is real, but I'd be cautious about the more extreme predictions for sea levels (or any other effects), just as I would be about buying any property less than a few metres above sea level

by Anonymousreply 43April 11, 2021 4:55 PM

R5 Being lily white is the dream of Obama, Oprah, Megan . . .they have a love/hate relationship with whites

by Anonymousreply 44April 11, 2021 5:01 PM

These are the days.... to remember 🎶

by Anonymousreply 45April 11, 2021 5:14 PM

This will kick off a lot economic activity as people are forced to abandon low lying properties and rebuild on higher ground. It's a huge win for the economy.

by Anonymousreply 46April 11, 2021 9:07 PM

John Kerry our climate czar sure isn't worried.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48April 12, 2021 1:11 AM

R48 bloody hell I wouldnt have bought that! Must be less than a metre above high tide line

Do you have a link or an address for the location by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 49April 12, 2021 3:36 AM

r39, do you routinely make statements without evidence or just here on DL? Of the ten hottest years since climate records have been kept, 7 have been in the past decade. How can you seriously make the claim that global temperatures have been steady since the 1980s?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 12, 2021 9:03 AM

65 years old and 33 feet above sea level, but just four blocks from the Hudson.

I can make that work. Probably.

by Anonymousreply 52April 12, 2021 11:11 AM

R48 that is - or more to the point was - John Kerry's Nantucket place. He's now sold that.

However he has bought another place in Martha's Vineyard, which from the point of vulnerability to sea level rise is barely any better looking at the second picture in the article linked.

So, wrong house, but your point still stands

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 12, 2021 11:30 AM

John Kerry is 77

Long before this time next decade he’ll likely not care

by Anonymousreply 54April 12, 2021 11:39 AM

[quote] I'm guessing the people of Pompeii also didn't think anything would ever happen, because hell, the wealthy were all still living there.

Not surprising since the word “volcano” didn’t exist prior to 79 AD. It was the first eruption in recorded history (well, European).

by Anonymousreply 55April 12, 2021 11:50 AM

[quote]It was the first eruption in recorded history (well, European).

Given the state of creating records in Europe in 79 A.D., that does not come as a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 56April 12, 2021 12:08 PM

I liked the Trantor comparison. I wonder how many got it.

by Anonymousreply 58April 13, 2021 10:06 PM

R53 Thanks for the update.

[quote]John Kerry is 77. Long before this time next decade he’ll likely not care

The elite answer to no one. The rules are for you. Not for them.

by Anonymousreply 59April 13, 2021 10:09 PM

R32, I suspect that Obama doesn't plan to live to see 2121.

by Anonymousreply 60April 14, 2021 12:15 AM

So will most of Florida, thank God.

by Anonymousreply 62April 20, 2021 4:22 AM

I’m 85 feet above sea level. The houses and businesses across the street are all in a flood zone but my side of the street is not. They are required to carry flood insurance on their properties by their insurance companies, but aren’t. I wonder if news like this will change those kind of requirements to include my side of the street.

by Anonymousreply 63April 20, 2021 4:31 AM

R61 it is possible to believe in global warming, but also not get in a panic about it and believe that technology can mitigate its effects - at a cost.

R63 if you are 85 feet above sea level the flood zone will be caused by some kind of river or stream I presume and wont be affected by global warming, at least not for many years if ever. I have a flood zone near me but those houses are way lower than ours, like two metres as opposed to 30

by Anonymousreply 64April 20, 2021 4:45 AM

Ah, thank you r64.

by Anonymousreply 65April 20, 2021 5:09 AM

But will you have to ford a river to get to the grocery store?

Who’ll buy your water Surrounded house?

by Anonymousreply 66April 20, 2021 5:23 AM

the area might be subjected to heavier taxation due to all the shit they have to do to fend off the rising waters.

by Anonymousreply 67April 20, 2021 5:34 AM

I'm only 13 feet above. However, I'm in the Bay area and I expect, given the land values here that there will be some effort to protect the land near the Bay from rising water levels since the Golden Gate is only about a mile wide and there's a mountain range along much if the coast

by Anonymousreply 68April 20, 2021 6:16 AM

[quote]The study doesn’t cite an estimate of the level of rise if could cause, but Gilbert said, “My gut feeling is for 4C [above pre-industrial levels] it could potentially contribute tens of centimetres if they did collapse.”

[quote]To put this in perspective, NASA calculates the average sea level rise at 3.3 millimeters per year, which only equals 0.33 centimeters, making even a 10-centimeter increase a significant jump.

I don't doubt the general premise in the least, but this article is incredibly short on information, even informed speculation.

A 4C rise in temperature in over 200 years could raise sea levels by tens of centimeters? A 10cm/4" dick up an ass is a non-event, or do they mean to suggest 90cm/36"?

by Anonymousreply 69April 20, 2021 7:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!