Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Obamas buying in Martha's Vineyard.

It's bad. The grounds are spectacular. The house isn't for everyone. You shouldn't get too creative with a beach house.

TMZ says they're in escrow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221April 11, 2021 7:43 PM

Unsurprising they'd want to live there, where they can be far away from prying eyes. A little disappointing, though, since they're isolating themselves by living around mostly only rich people.

by Anonymousreply 1August 23, 2019 3:24 AM

Martha's is a surprising choice.

by Anonymousreply 2August 23, 2019 3:25 AM

Disappointing house, fantastic land. Price ($12m ?) seems not bad.

by Anonymousreply 3August 23, 2019 3:35 AM

Gorgeous! What a dream to have a place like that. There's way too much white on the inside of the house, but otherwise I love it.

by Anonymousreply 4August 23, 2019 3:39 AM

Wow - it is crazy how rich they got so quickly. Amazing. Can’t say I like that capitalism concentrates that much wealth that quickly in two people. Better him than others - but the insane wealth associated with politics is another sign how capitalism has overwhelmed democracy. After having to raise hundreds of millions to be President, I guess raising tens of millions for yourself seems easy.

by Anonymousreply 5August 23, 2019 3:39 AM

Where is the younger daughter going to college?

by Anonymousreply 6August 23, 2019 3:40 AM

It's amazing that two people can have that much coastline all to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 7August 23, 2019 3:41 AM

Obama surprised Michele by painting all the rooms in 14 hours.

by Anonymousreply 8August 23, 2019 3:45 AM

Did they ever actually move to Rancho Mirage (Palm Springs-adjacent)?

by Anonymousreply 9August 23, 2019 3:46 AM

i don't think so r9. They've been in Washington the last few years in a rented house while the daughter finished high school.

by Anonymousreply 10August 23, 2019 3:47 AM

wouldn't that coastline be a security threat?

by Anonymousreply 11August 23, 2019 3:50 AM

I know that they've spent the past few years looking at everything, Manhattan apartments, Jackie's Red Gate Farm, houses in Old Saybrook and Los Angeles. I didn't know they were looking out there too.

by Anonymousreply 12August 23, 2019 3:51 AM

Yeah R9 - there were a lot of rumors that they were going to move to Rancho Mirage after their visits the past few years. Doesn't look like it's going to happen.

They used to stay with the gay ambassador's to Spain at his place in the valley.

Edgartown makes sense - it's adjacent(ish) to Oak Bluffs, the traditional moneyed black elite area of Martha's Vineyard.

by Anonymousreply 13August 23, 2019 3:53 AM

I'd have been deeply disappointed had they moved to Rancho Mirage. One of the most fucking boring places on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 14August 23, 2019 3:55 AM

r6, University of Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 15August 23, 2019 3:57 AM

Its on the Pond, not the shore. That might be nice for eventual grandkids. The barrier island looks like its almost gone, though. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 16August 23, 2019 4:01 AM

Really r6? That is surprising. You'd think she'd go to an Ivy.

by Anonymousreply 17August 23, 2019 4:04 AM

Ok well apparently they breach that sand bar manually every year to help the ecology of the pond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18August 23, 2019 4:05 AM

Why on earth would they buy coastal property with the climate change predictions?

He should have checked with Al Gore first.

by Anonymousreply 19August 23, 2019 4:07 AM

Indeed, r19. Al Gore bought right on the water in Montecito around the same time he made his first "we only have ten years" prediction and claimed that that NYC would be underwater by the mid 2000's.

by Anonymousreply 20August 23, 2019 4:13 AM

[quote]A little disappointing, though, since they're isolating themselves by living around mostly only rich people.

Yes, as they've both lived such provincial sheltered lives so far, never going anywhere nor meeting people of different backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 21August 23, 2019 4:15 AM

The Vineyard is a little bit hilly. It may not be going under so quickly, but it was the concern that made me remark about the location on that pond. Chilmark is high as are the bluffs at the beaches there.

by Anonymousreply 22August 23, 2019 4:16 AM

Now I get why Michelle couldn't make it to the ceremony. Chicago's most prestigious High School naming their new sports center after her and she's MIA. Of course. Probably too busy at Netflix meetings and pressing her hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23August 23, 2019 4:16 AM

Well R23, at least she's not out hooking like our current FLOTUS.

by Anonymousreply 24August 23, 2019 4:18 AM

From the looks of things, she may have freed up time by not pressing her hair r23.

by Anonymousreply 25August 23, 2019 4:20 AM

Is Melania still a lady of the evening? Where?

by Anonymousreply 26August 23, 2019 4:20 AM

Why does anyone want 7 bedrooms? That's 1 for the married couple plus 1 for each daughter makes 3 (but the kids will be moving out on their own eventually) -- if the wife's mother still lives with the family, that's 1 for her, totalling 4 (but she's old and won't be there forever). Which leaves at least 3 bedrooms for servants and/or guests? And there's a bathroom for each bedroom plus another extra bathroom. Not cramped!

by Anonymousreply 27August 23, 2019 4:23 AM

How much were the Obamas worth going in and now after the presidency? Where's their money coming from to buy this? Can't be just books. Has he joined any corporate boards?

by Anonymousreply 28August 23, 2019 4:25 AM

The Clintons weren't so distasteful. Public service is a lifetime commitment. If not, you might as well be named Trump.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29August 23, 2019 4:27 AM

What's with the all-white interiors of homes these days? It seems so sterile and lifeless.

by Anonymousreply 30August 23, 2019 4:33 AM

R26, Melania only takes incalls these days and only when Trump is away.

by Anonymousreply 31August 23, 2019 4:34 AM

This is actually only going to be their summer vacation home.

by Anonymousreply 32August 23, 2019 4:37 AM

I wonder if the neighbors are annoyed that now there are bound to be helicopters, drones, paparazzi, etc.

by Anonymousreply 33August 23, 2019 4:41 AM

Agree R29. But I assume the complete and utter destruction of all standards, ethics or even appearance of decency in politics ushered in by Trump has made any attempt at modesty seem irrelevant.

Obama can make over $1 million per speech. So the books are just gravy. And the Netflix deal is clearly inspired by money. Sure they can promote some socially-conscious ideas - but it’s about selling their “brand” to give Netflix credibility. How money is “earned” in the modern world is so out of whack with what people deserve.

by Anonymousreply 34August 23, 2019 4:47 AM

Where has Obama been giving lectures?

by Anonymousreply 35August 23, 2019 4:55 AM

R19 I was just going to say. The house is meh, the land is pleasant enough, but what struck me is that it cant be more than a metre or two above sea level

by Anonymousreply 36August 23, 2019 4:56 AM

1 million per speech sounds high. Bill Clinton broke the then-record by being paid 500,00 for a speech a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 37August 23, 2019 4:57 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38August 23, 2019 4:58 AM

He was speaking in a few Canadian cities earlier this year. My sister went and said it was packed. Tickets weren't cheap.

by Anonymousreply 39August 23, 2019 4:59 AM

So that's just over 33,000 per speech. Hardly a million a time.

by Anonymousreply 40August 23, 2019 4:59 AM

That is one ugly fucking house.

by Anonymousreply 41August 23, 2019 4:59 AM

Mr Obama makes $400 thousand a speech

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42August 23, 2019 5:00 AM

Sorry, I miss-typed - 330,000 a speech. Still hardly a million a pop.

by Anonymousreply 43August 23, 2019 5:03 AM

$330,000 a day. Insane. We wonder why we have income inequality.. $330 a day is more than most people. We have to bring some sanity back to income distribution.

by Anonymousreply 44August 23, 2019 5:06 AM

The Obamas always used to vacation at Martha's Vineyard in Summer, and Hawaii in Winter.

Malia (I think) attends Harvard, so it would allow them to be close to her while she goes to college.

I think it's the perfect place for them. It's Liberal Massachusetts, and they'll still be close to the "power center" of the US, along the Northeastern Corridor.

It's a smart choice.

by Anonymousreply 45August 23, 2019 5:06 AM

Not an attractive house, the all white semi-industrial interior just seems cold and unwelcoming. Charm and character free.

by Anonymousreply 46August 23, 2019 5:08 AM

I love that one room that has the couch that looks like a bundt cake.

Also those other rooms with those giant steel frames angling through them.

by Anonymousreply 47August 23, 2019 5:08 AM

The Obamas should take their freakin money and build their shrine somewhere else. Not in my Chicago. The Parks are working with their team but they don't budge. Just like we told George Lucas. Take your friggin museum and shove it where the sun don't shine. We will carry on lol

by Anonymousreply 48August 23, 2019 5:08 AM

If that's their vacation home, are they staying in DC for the rest of the year?

by Anonymousreply 49August 23, 2019 5:10 AM

Who can afford to pay 300k for a lecture. How is it worth that much? What do they get in return?

by Anonymousreply 50August 23, 2019 5:11 AM

[quote] What do they get in return?

A happy ending, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 51August 23, 2019 5:12 AM

They looked here in Connecticut. Guess we aren’t good enough

by Anonymousreply 52August 23, 2019 5:15 AM

It’s a nice house with a decent design, I’m not sure why people are calling it ugly.

But I think Obama should buy a vacation home in Libya instead. Tripoli is a beautiful holiday resort destination nowadays, thanks to his well-conceived plan. He can put his Nobel Peace Prize on the mantle piece there.

by Anonymousreply 53August 23, 2019 5:21 AM

Obama is the ex leader for 8 years of the worlds superpower and a huge rich country to boot. Whats the problem with him now becoming a multimillionaire and living like one? Plus he will be raising a colossal fortune for the foundation which will to some good work. Perhaps better to fret about people like Bezos who are not adding quality jobs and are destroying jobs and local culture. That's a nasty capitalist.

by Anonymousreply 54August 23, 2019 5:25 AM

R54, if George Washington took that attitude we would be living under some sort of kingdom. A person of honor doesn't run off and signs contracts with TV and book companies for gossip and access.

by Anonymousreply 55August 23, 2019 5:30 AM

George Washing was, until Trump, the richest president by far the USA ever had. He was a slave owing proto-capitalist in agro-business worth half a billion dollars, living in a colonial palace. What are you talking about? He didn't need book contracts and they didn't exist anyway.

by Anonymousreply 56August 23, 2019 5:36 AM

That's where JAWS was filmed.

by Anonymousreply 57August 23, 2019 5:36 AM

Um, a person of honor would bring their country out of the biggest recession since the depression, Obama did that r55.

Book deals, which he had massive book sales before become President, isn't dishonorable. I don't get why every other President gets to enjoy their twilight years in financial bliss, but the Obama's need to go back to some middle class lifestyle, that they didn't really have before, just because. Why should the Obama's miss out on making money? They want to leave a legacy for their family and enjoy the lifestyle becoming of a President. Anyone else would have done the same thing after 8 years of delayed gratification, abuse, stress, and sacrifice.

by Anonymousreply 58August 23, 2019 5:36 AM

Obama sold himself as the next MLK. With his message of Hope and fighting the Iraq war. It seems like a lost opportunity for us here in the Southside of Chicago. Nothing changed.

by Anonymousreply 59August 23, 2019 5:41 AM

Funny how you just mention his name, and the trolls start coming out of the woodwork.

Just like if you even utter the name "Meghan Markle."

Grifter! Cheat! Liar! Criminal!

It's always the same old shit. These people have nothing better to do with their lives, than attack Obama and Markle.

Useless fucking trolls.

by Anonymousreply 60August 23, 2019 5:44 AM

Didn't Caroline Kennedy Schloss-something put Jackie's home up for sale? I wonder if the Obamas even considered it.

Last year the Obamas checked out an apartment at the very exclusive 10 Gracie Square in NY--the same building where Anderson Cooper's brother hopped off the roof while mother Gloria watched.

by Anonymousreply 61August 23, 2019 5:48 AM

R54, Bezos is not a politician (yet). There’s a problem when political role models turn their civil service status into a ‘commercial brand’ to get lucrative deals for themselves from the corporate world. $300-400k for a ca. 2 hour Wall St speech is insane.

This can usher in a new age of ‘delayed bribery’. E.g. a Wall Street exec can tell a new president: “Well, we want you to do X for us, or act as as a commercial middle-man to introduce us to Y, during your Presidency - but we obviously can’t pay into your pocket directly during your term in office, that would be illegal. Therefore, the ‘creative’ work-around solution is we’ll simply pay you (for your ‘assistance’ to us during your term) - on a delayed pay-out schedule: as soon as your term is up, we guarantee you’ll receive $1-2 million from us, straight into your pocket, under the guise of ‘compensation’ for 2-3 nominal speeches. That’s the deal - we scratch your back, you scratch ours.”

by Anonymousreply 62August 23, 2019 5:50 AM

Funny considering how early in his presidency they claimed they would come back to shithole Illinois after he left office.😏

by Anonymousreply 63August 23, 2019 5:52 AM

[quote] ...a person of honor would bring their country out of the biggest recession since the depression, Obama did that

None of the people who created and benefited from that financial catastrophe were arrested, prosecuted, punished in any way under President Obama's Justice Department. None. Nada.

Some of these jackals, well known to President Obama, were appointed to his administration.

He showed us who he was and where his interest lies. He continues to show us.

by Anonymousreply 64August 23, 2019 5:54 AM

It'll be underwater in 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 65August 23, 2019 6:01 AM

[quote] Anyone else would have done the same thing after 8 years of delayed gratification, abuse, stress, and sacrifice.

R58, you make it sound like serving in a high-status, decently-paid, empowering public office position is like being a martyr in the desert for 8 years. Oh please. Public office already comes with many perks. There are downsides, but there are enormous upsides too. There’s a reason why so many egomaniacs are attracted to public office - because the job already entails many perks. Leaving office and then still using your former high-position status non-stop for even more perks is controversial.

by Anonymousreply 66August 23, 2019 6:06 AM

Stories like this serve to reinforce my positive opinion about the post Presidency Harry Truman.

by Anonymousreply 67August 23, 2019 6:10 AM

R61. Jackie’s place is far superior but also 5x the price. Imagine the uproar if The Obamas laid out $65m for their vacation home. I’m sure many would want them for neighbors. 29 acres aren’t exactly next door and their property prices are bound to rise. Not as if Donald and Melania bought nearby.

by Anonymousreply 68August 23, 2019 6:13 AM

Agreed, r67. Truman was very honorable and decent in the way he refused the temptation to cash in on his Presidency. I've admired him for that.

by Anonymousreply 69August 23, 2019 6:18 AM

The Carters too.

by Anonymousreply 70August 23, 2019 6:20 AM

Only thing Reagan did after leaving office was to give a talk in Tokyo for which Pepsi paid him 2m

by Anonymousreply 71August 23, 2019 6:25 AM

[quote]I don't get why every other President gets to enjoy their twilight years in financial bliss, but the Obama's need to go back to some middle class lifestyle, that they didn't really have before, just because. Why should the Obama's miss out on making money?

I think you know the answer to that one R58.

Then again these are the same people who gave him hell for wearing this suit.

Yes, back before they were placing children in camps, when we didn't have a President who called himself the chosen one with people that would lie to our faces daily on television.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72August 23, 2019 6:30 AM

Obama deported more people than Trump at this point I'm his presidency

by Anonymousreply 73August 23, 2019 6:31 AM

Turkeyland Cove ?

by Anonymousreply 74August 23, 2019 6:35 AM

Clinton earns his speaking fees. I've seen him give a speech in person and he does lengthy Q&A's afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 75August 23, 2019 6:35 AM

Obama is a weak man that allowed his immigration policy to be dictated by red- necks. Obama always underwhelms except with White intellectual types that do not have to live with a person's decisions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76August 23, 2019 6:39 AM

Obama was slammed by the right-wing for the littlest thing because he's black. He was lauded by liberals for the littlest thing because he's black.

by Anonymousreply 77August 23, 2019 6:40 AM

[quote] I don't get why every other President gets to enjoy their twilight years in financial bliss, but the Obama's need to go back to some middle class lifestyle

It seems some people here believe that Presidents are drastically 'under-paid' for their office work. Well, if you truly believe well-performing Presidents deserve to retire as elite 1%-ers - then pay them a performance-based, Congress-approved bonus each year. That at least would be more [italic]transparent[/italic] than them entering into shady, conflict-of-interest agreements with corporate interests right as they're leaving office and getting suspiciously high direct pay-outs from Wall St.

by Anonymousreply 78August 23, 2019 6:43 AM

Once you get to their age, many, many bourgeois and wealthy couples often stop sleeping in the same bed. They don't need sex as often, and they are willing to trade that chance of spontaneity for the chance to not have to deal with each other's snoring, farting, night terrors, etc.

So it could well be TWO beds for the married couple, two beds for the girls, one bed for Mchelle's mother, leaving two for guests.

by Anonymousreply 79August 23, 2019 6:47 AM

When Obama's Chief of Staff Rham Emanuel took over Chicago I knew Obama was living in a bubble. Emmanuel's first order of business was closing Chicago's mental health clinics!

by Anonymousreply 80August 23, 2019 6:49 AM

[quote]It seems some people here believe that Presidents are drastically 'under-paid'

Who believes that?

[quote] for their office work.

Oh, dear. You speak as if being the head of country non-stop, for eight years, constantly fearing for your life (especially as the first and only black President) because of wackjobs, meeting and greeting heads of state while not embarrassing yourself because you represent an ENTIRE country of people was just "office work."

[quotes]Well, if you truly believe well-performing Presidents deserve to retire as elite 1%-ers - then pay them a performance-based, Congress-approved bonus each year.

Bonus based upon what? Decided upon by whom?

[quote]That at least would be more transparent than them entering into shady, conflict-of-interest agreements with corporate interests right as they're leaving office and getting suspiciously high direct pay-outs from Wall St.

Okay, Jessica Fletcher.

by Anonymousreply 81August 23, 2019 6:53 AM

[Quote] When Obama's Chief of Staff Rham Emanuel took over Chicago I knew Obama was living in a bubble.

When Rahm was appointed chief of staff it confirmed my misgivings about Obama's ideological position. In fairness to him though, he did say during his campaign that he was an admirer of Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 82August 23, 2019 6:56 AM

[quote] You speak as if being the head of country non-stop, for eight years, constantly fearing for your life (especially as the first and only black President) because of wackjobs, meeting and greeting heads of state while not embarrassing yourself because you represent an ENTIRE country of people was just "office work."

Oh, give it a rest with your 'martyrdom' narrative, R81. You do realise they're not doing it 'alone', right? They have a whole ARMY of assistants, advisers / consultants, delegate workers, co-party colleagues, speech writers, stylists, drivers, chefs, PAs, security (whose job is to lay their own life for them), etc, etc - who all help them with EVERY STEP.

Many people all around the world are presidents and prime ministers - even people too stupid to tie their own shoes. Look at Tony Blair - does he look "stressed out" and "in fear" to you? Oh, come on. No one sheds tears over 'martyr' Blair - he enjoyed his time in office, hobnobbing with bankers, and he's still enjoying himself, hobnobbing with the same bankers, at the expense of everyone else.

And you think Presidents really care that much, like overly sensitive DLers, about "embarrassing" themselves? Presidents are Alpha-type personalities - they're not thin-skinned delicate flowers. The French President, Macron, recently made a funny mistake when giving a public speech in his non-native language and addressing the Australian PM & his wife - and Macron didn't give a HECK. Neither did the Australian PM. They don't reach for smelling salts each time they make an error during a public engagement - they usually just blame others for their gaffs and fire a staffer.

by Anonymousreply 83August 23, 2019 7:14 AM

[quote] Bonus based upon what? Decided upon by whom?

Economic GDP performance, falling crime rates, improving human rights report - every country has its own urgent priorities and can decide its own variables based on that. Every President also has his own list of announced policy goals - that can be the basis as well (achievement rate). There are already independent Committees deciding Parliamentary / Congressional remuneration (when to increase salaries, etc) - the same can be applied to politicians acting as Presidents, with an added bonus perk structure (under the condition that they agree not to accept controversial payment from Wall St and corporate interests immediately when they leave office).

by Anonymousreply 84August 23, 2019 7:31 AM

Enjoy it sisters because YOUR money is paying for it! And if you ever tried to visit it you would be shot dead on sight! Amazing how people who have never worked for a living, never held a real job, spentd their entire'careers' on the public payroll ... end up multi multi millionaires!

by Anonymousreply 85August 23, 2019 7:45 AM

It's a good thing to keep in mind. No normal or essentially honest person wants to be president. The United States is a gather and give society. A lot of elites think that by amassing fortune they will now and after death do good works with it. But it's like saying no to a product endorsement, no matter who will see it and how much money they offer you. You can say no, and hold on to your integrity. That's what fuck you money does for people. It's hard to do and the Obama's have failed. Once you become best friends with Ellen, Letterman and Beyonce, it's not far to travel on some anti woman, anti gay, muslim prince's yacht and jerk parades like RuthMadofflivingon1.5 start internet advising you where you should live. I am a big fan of Barack and Michelle. They will do good work in Chicago and other parts of the world. But they have joined that gather and give part of the elite. Take hundreds of millions from rich dicks and speak to the common need. Leave an impression and a foundation after you. But you've left society. As Obama and Michelle did in the last two years of his presidency. Let history judge. His legacy is being a better preacher than president. He had no intention of sticking his neck out anywhere or even exercising the faith people put in him. This when they go low we go high nonsense is exactly that. Nonsense. Obama played the nobility game and may have cost the country the whole civil rights era AND Roe V Wade. George W looks like a more essentially decent and honest man everyday. Because he is. What a world.

by Anonymousreply 86August 23, 2019 7:47 AM

Satanist and closeted homosexual Obama, enriched beyond Midas by her usury banker masters, will one day burn in hell.

by Anonymousreply 87August 23, 2019 7:57 AM

[quote] Barack and Michelle. They will do good work in Chicago and other parts of the world.

His good work & contribution in North Africa is especially commendable:

[quote] "Post-intervention Libya has faced political and economic collapse, with 7,578 violent deaths recorded between 2012 and 2018. Hundreds of thousands of people have been displaced [becoming mass refugees to Europe] and weapons have spread across the region."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88August 23, 2019 8:03 AM

“I don't get why every other President gets to enjoy their twilight years in financial bliss, but the Obama's need to go back to some middle class lifestyle, that they didn't really have before, just because. Why should the Obama's miss out on making money?

I think you know the answer to that one [R58].

Then again these are the same people who gave him hell for wearing this suit.”

Just like Jimmy Carter, right?? He’s black too.

People are so racist nowadays.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89August 23, 2019 8:28 AM

[Quote] No local golf or country clubs would admit the Clintons. Members were concerned about the level of disruption the Clintons would create, so they had to join the next closest option... [b] Donald Trump's Trump National Golf Club Westchester.

From the link someone posted about Hillary Clinton's house. This did not age well. I wonder if they're still members. Also funny that all these rich people always join a country or golf club where they can meet other rich and entitled people when they move somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 90August 23, 2019 8:54 AM

[quote]Whats the problem with him now becoming a multimillionaire and living like one?

I had a huge problem with him underestimating the threat of hacking in 2016 and acting like telling Putin to "cut it out" (his words) was all that was needed to stop the security breaches. He told us voting machines couldn't be hacked, and we've known for a long time now that's a lie.

When Comey released the letter days before the election -- the second stunt he'd pulled like that, the first one being in July -- Obama praised him for being a man of integrity.

He immediately blamed HRC for the loss, going on at length about how he campaigned perfectly and how she made mistakes that he never would have.

He was obviously upset at people rightly concerned about the integrity of the election and said, repeatedly, that Trump was going to be president so just get used to it already. People were concerned and scared and he didn't care (and, I would argue, still doesn't).

Immediately after leaving office he was out partying on billionaire's yachts. A few months later, he and Michelle both signed for millions upon millions for book deals. They were talking about their memoirs and school lunches and the rest of us were screaming about the fascists in the White House, entire departments going unstaffed, immigrants being mistreated to the point of death, stuffing SCOTUS with unqualified far-right-wingers, Trump accusing Obama of wiretapping him, and every other fucking fiasco in 2017 alone.

Now they're multimillionaires who previously palled around with Weinstein and are building a media empire and still talking about really unimportant political stuff, sometimes, but usually staying out of it altogether because apparently they don't have any real pressing concerns with what is going on in our country.

As much as I hate the DemSoc whiners -- and for anyone just itching to call me a Republican, get off your lazy ass and do the ignore-dar trick to see for yourself that I'm not -- it's hard not to look at the Obamas and think that maybe the "both parties are the same" mantra of theirs doesn't have a grain of truth to it.

Obama's policies were center-left to center-right, very moderate, and his presidency was mostly positive with a few missteps. That said, from about spring 2016 on, he obviously checked out and is just sick of the people, politics and the country itself, which is his prerogative, but it's a little galling sometimes, you know? The GOP is launching attacks on the LGBTQ community that will go on for at least one generation, probably two, and people are dying and the democracy is in very literal danger, and "oooh, the Obamas are rightfully cashing in on their few years of public service, they deserve many millions for that and I'm soooo delighted to see they're purchasing beautiful property on Martha's Vineyard!" on a gay board right now feels really fucking shallow.

by Anonymousreply 91August 23, 2019 9:09 AM

This sadly confirms my belief there:

Whose shit did you buy in the beginning but then they let you down terribly?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92August 23, 2019 9:11 AM

Yes R91. Every word.

by Anonymousreply 93August 23, 2019 9:14 AM

Yes, r91. And Michelle, the only person who would be a shoe-in up against Trump, refuses to run for 2020.

Why? What's she so busy doing? Doesn't she want to help us? WTF?

Oh that's right. Living her best (billionaire-style) life.

I don't begrudge her that life, but it might be nice of her to step in, oh, I don't know... NOW... on behalf of all of us who voted twice for her husband and wish he was still there.

by Anonymousreply 94August 23, 2019 9:57 AM

Wow, that is one ugly house. Ugly kitchen, living room, entrance, fire place, floors and that huge ugly ceiling. You need like $2 million more to completely remodel that house. Even the pool and beach are not spectacular for a $15 million estate.

by Anonymousreply 95August 23, 2019 10:00 AM

Our parents belong to a private Golf club in the Chicago area. Very exclusive. You must be recommended by other members and also voted in by the entire membership.

by Anonymousreply 96August 23, 2019 10:04 AM

I love you, R91.

by Anonymousreply 97August 23, 2019 10:21 AM

[quote] And Michelle, the only person who would be a shoe-in up against Trump

And what would be her policies? Does she have a clear plan herself or would she just be a stand-in for her husband, as basically his 3rd term?

The reason why Michelle is liked is because she never carried responsibility for anything major (economics, fiscal policy, foreign politics decisions). It's easy to be popular when you didn't have to make any tough decisions or present your own hard solutions to controversial problems.

Also, there have been too many "family clans" in modern Presidential politics - which does not look very modern at all: the Kennedys, the Bushes, the Clintons and, what, now the Obamas too? In a country of 300+ million, the concentration of power in so few elite families is not a good look. The system starts to resemble an elected, self-perpetuating monarchy.

And in terms of identity optics - Kamala Harris is already in the race. She might not be as popular as Michelle (because she actually has to stick her neck out and answer tough questions in debates, unlike Michelle), but she's far more accomplished as a lawyer and prosecutor. And, unlike some, she didn't rely on her husband's popularity to get her position.

by Anonymousreply 98August 23, 2019 12:02 PM

I do take a little exception to the Clintons being a "clan" of politicians when no one ever says the same about the Adamses, our second and sixth presidents, or the Roosevelts.

The Kennedys and the Bushes had more than two politicians each, along with media personalities in their immediate families.

by Anonymousreply 99August 23, 2019 12:06 PM

The point was about [italic]modern[/italic] Presidential politicians / modern executive branch of power, R99. The Adamses and the Roosevelts were way back, before many modern voters were even born, so hardly contemporary. Modern entails progressing away from a feudalistic "father-son dynasty" or "husband-wife inheritance" structure in politics, especially in the presidential branch of power. Look at Europe - very few presidents & prime ministers are the hereditary sons or married wives of former presidents.

by Anonymousreply 100August 23, 2019 12:19 PM

Carter has now become my favorite ex president

by Anonymousreply 101August 23, 2019 12:29 PM

[quote] TMZ says they're in escrow.

If the property was in escrow, it would no longer be listed as available and they certainly wouldn't be holding an open house.

by Anonymousreply 102August 23, 2019 12:37 PM

You're insane if you think we had a husband-wife inheritance structure in politics in the feudalistic past that we now need to move away from to become more modern. The closest to that was the so-called widow's succession, where most of the widows were placeholders for a couple of months. Many of them simply ran in the special elections and won and weren't appointed as part of some kind of "political clan" scenario.

The point though is that, especially if you include Congress and state congressional positions, there are plenty of examples of families with two prominent politicians and none of them are called "clans" or "dynasties" EXCEPT the Clintons. That's because it's propaganda. No one would ever say the Roosevelts were a dynasty even though two were presidents and Eleanor was deeply involved in politics.

And FDR is contemporary enough that the GOP is still trotting him and his policies out to scare their base over fears of evil New Deal socialism.

by Anonymousreply 103August 23, 2019 1:11 PM

Their combined book deal advances were somewhere between 45-65 million dollars.

by Anonymousreply 104August 23, 2019 1:20 PM

Man of the people.

by Anonymousreply 105August 23, 2019 1:25 PM

I think if Carter was offered $400G speaking fees, he would have taken it.

by Anonymousreply 106August 23, 2019 1:29 PM

If I'd been offered 400K in speaking fees, I would have taken it.

by Anonymousreply 107August 23, 2019 1:32 PM

So would I. Many many times.

by Anonymousreply 108August 23, 2019 1:37 PM

The Obama Foundation had goals for a 1.5 billion endowment but I don't think it's collected half that. I googled around and can not find any figures for 2018 or 2019.

by Anonymousreply 109August 23, 2019 1:38 PM

I would take $400 speaking fees .

by Anonymousreply 110August 23, 2019 1:40 PM

[quote] You're insane if you think we had a husband-wife inheritance structure in politics in the feudalistic past … The closest to that was the so-called widow's succession, where most of the widows were placeholders for a couple of months.

Your ignorance of history doesn’t help you, R103. Look up feudalistic power structures in the pre-modern age: HBO is currently making a TV show about Catherine II, a German/Prussian princess. Guess how she inherited the Crown and one of the biggest Empires in the world - via her husband and then succeeding him as Empress. She ruled not “for a couple of months” - but for 34 YEARS.

[quote] The point though is that, especially if you include Congress and state congressional positions

No, we’re not “especially” “including Congress”. We’re talking about the EXECUTIVE branch (the close thing to a monarchical position, in charge of the army, foreign politics, declaring state of emergency, etc). How many times does this need to be repeated. A father-son / husband-wife in Congress are a drop in the Ocean - because there are [italic]hundreds[/italic] of other random people (530+) in Congress to balance it out. Whereas a father-son / husband-wife in the Presidential seat consecutively is a whole different matter - that’s a SOLO pedestal-like position, in charge of the ENTIRE Executive power branch for up to 8 years (by husband/father) and then another potential 8 years (by son/wife), potentially resulting in 8-16 years of dynastical power concentrated in the hands of just one family. If a family dynasty sits consecutively or subsequently in the Executive - it changes far more than if they would sit among a sea of three hundred other random, unrelated politicians in Congress.

by Anonymousreply 111August 23, 2019 1:51 PM

[quote] No one would ever say the Roosevelts were a dynasty

Because many modern voters weren't even born during Roosevelt's presidency and don't even remember him, R103! Why the heck should Gen X or Millennials even care about the archaic Roosevelt tribe anymore - they were both born in the 19th Century! They're fossilised dinosaurs!

[quote] there are plenty of examples of families with two prominent politicians and none of them are called "clans" or "dynasties" EXCEPT the Clintons. That's because it's propaganda.

Oh, please. The Kennedys have always been known as a clan and the Bushes are obviously a dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 112August 23, 2019 2:08 PM

I’ll give you $400 not to speak R110.

by Anonymousreply 113August 23, 2019 2:19 PM

[quote]Look up feudalistic power structures in the pre-modern age: HBO is currently making a TV show about Catherine II, a German/Prussian princess.

Okay, well, I don't know why this wasn't obvious, but I was talking about American politicians exclusively.

by Anonymousreply 114August 23, 2019 2:21 PM

[quote]Why the heck should Gen X or Millennials even care about the archaic Roosevelt tribe anymore - they were both born in the 19th Century! They're fossilised dinosaurs!

Which is why they were all confused and disoriented at the introduction of the Green New Deal, right?

I also invite you to type "FDR" into a Google News search and see how many articles in the last three weeks alone have been about him or prominently mentioned him. I stopped counting at 30.

[quote]Oh, please. The Kennedys have always been known as a clan and the Bushes are obviously a dynasty.

Which is exactly what I said: the Bushes and Kennedys were clans and/or dynasties. The examples of only two family members aren't.

by Anonymousreply 115August 23, 2019 2:24 PM

He and his family will fit right in !

by Anonymousreply 116August 23, 2019 2:29 PM

The Vineyard is not a surprising choice. It's got a wealthy African-American enclave in Oak Bluffs. A lot of political power stays there - the Clintons, the Bidens, Jackie O and her family. Princess Diana became a big fan. And the seclusion is what they are after as you cannot find or see these houses from the main road. You just see small, gated dirt roads.

by Anonymousreply 117August 23, 2019 2:35 PM

R114, you were replying to me and “I don’t know why this wasn’t obvious” but I was making a comparison with Feudalistic power structures (passing on the Crown / executive political power to blood & marital relatives), a system widely practised in Europe, which the US famously rebelled against it, becoming one of the reasons for setting up a republic.

by Anonymousreply 118August 23, 2019 2:39 PM

[Quote]Their combined book deal advances were somewhere between 45-65 million dollars.

Michelle Obama's book broke records so they were worth the money.

The Obamas are very popular. People want to pay their books, people want to pay to hear them speak. Just how it goes.

by Anonymousreply 119August 23, 2019 2:46 PM

Buy their books*

by Anonymousreply 120August 23, 2019 2:46 PM

[quote]Obama sold himself as the next MLK. With his message of Hope and fighting the Iraq war. It seems like a lost opportunity for us here in the Southside of Chicago. Nothing changed.

R59’s IP address shows him in Oklahoma. Nice try, no sale, Freeper Cunt Fuck.

R59 only knows the phrase south side of Chicago from the Croce song.

by Anonymousreply 121August 23, 2019 2:49 PM

R115, you keep mentioning FDR (WW2), but seem to miss the point that many modern voters don't remember much about Teddy (20 years before WW1). No one gives a heck what happened in 1900, at the turn of the century. We're 220 years past the point of caring now - it's way too far in the past.

[quote] Which is exactly what I said: the Bushes and Kennedys were clans and/or dynasties. The examples of only two family members aren't.

Your pedantic semantics completely miss the point. Who cares if they were a "clan" or "dynasty" or "tribe" or a "married couple fucking in bed and breeding together, pushing out crotch-fruit". The point was they are a very closely related family that is in power together - and who want to be Presidents one after the other.

by Anonymousreply 122August 23, 2019 2:50 PM

*120 years

by Anonymousreply 123August 23, 2019 2:51 PM

Oh no, the "I know your IP address" troll is back.

by Anonymousreply 124August 23, 2019 2:51 PM

R106, You don't seem to understand altruistic people. Carter lives simply because he gives so much money to charity, not because he hasn't had offers and/or isn't paid well.

by Anonymousreply 125August 23, 2019 2:54 PM

[quote] people want to pay to hear them speak. Just how it goes.

And some of those "people" are corporations & banks that have other motives for paying 'speaking fees' to politicians who still have ties and exclusive connections to Capitol Hill.

by Anonymousreply 126August 23, 2019 2:59 PM

Funny how the people bitching about Obama cashing out AFTER serving likely have no problem with the current occupant cashing out WHILE serving.

You're all so transparent. You don't like him because he's black.

by Anonymousreply 127August 23, 2019 3:14 PM

R71 That's because Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's not long after leaving the WH.

by Anonymousreply 128August 23, 2019 3:14 PM

R127, except Obama’s post-term conduct has been compared to Blair’s (both acting very thirsty after leaving office). I guess Blair is “black” now too, eh? :)

by Anonymousreply 129August 23, 2019 3:26 PM

[quote] R59’s IP address shows him in Oklahoma

How can you see his IP?

by Anonymousreply 130August 23, 2019 10:59 PM

If the people airing their complaints about Obama were Trumpsters, you'd have them on ignore already. Besides, Trumpsters are obvious in their attacks. They never have nuance or specific examples, just "he ruined the economy!" or something dippy like that.

One of these days many of you are going to have to come to terms with the fact that Obama may have done a lot of good work, but he absolutely botched the election security issues and a lot of people are still upset about it.

by Anonymousreply 131August 23, 2019 11:38 PM

He can't r130. r121 made it up.

Just block r121 to avoid all his invented bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 132August 24, 2019 12:08 AM

I read somewhere that they ended up purchasing the rental house in Washington. They've certainly done a ton of outside renovations on it since moving there. I don't think they would have been able to do that on a rental.

by Anonymousreply 133August 24, 2019 12:27 AM

The Obamas deserve everything good that happens to them, and more. For what they were put through for 8 years this country can never repay them.

by Anonymousreply 134August 24, 2019 12:30 AM

Look, I loved Obama. I volunteered for him in 2008. But I am deeply disappointed in his response to the current hellscape in which we find ourselves.

People always ask, "Why aren't millions of Americans out in the streets protesting every day?" I think that if Obama would get even slightly involved in supporting some of the resistance efforts, there could be.

His insistence on remaining "No Drama Obama" while the country burns has really put me off. And now this supremely awful house...

by Anonymousreply 135August 24, 2019 12:44 AM

Thanks R133; you're right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136August 24, 2019 12:45 AM

"Supremely awful"? You people are nuts. Any one of you would give your eye teeth to own that house.

by Anonymousreply 137August 24, 2019 12:45 AM

I'm more than confident that both of the Obamas are doing plenty, but it's mainly behind the scenes. It's unseemly for a former POTUS to get overly critical in public about the sitting POTUS. Even nitwit George W. Bush realized that.

by Anonymousreply 138August 24, 2019 12:47 AM

But R137, I can't swim.

by Anonymousreply 139August 24, 2019 12:48 AM

I like most everything about the house except those hideous industrial metal ceiling supports in that vestibule. It looks like the entrance to a shopping mall. And dear God I hope that get rid of most of the white. That kitchen is so white it blinds you.

by Anonymousreply 140August 24, 2019 12:49 AM

I'm still curious that it's so near the waterline and on flat land. That house can't be more than 5 feet above sea level. What about rising ocean levels? Aren't they concerned their 15 million investment might be destroyed in a few years? It's weird that they would choose this place.

by Anonymousreply 141August 24, 2019 12:52 AM

[quote] People always ask, "Why aren't millions of Americans out in the streets protesting every day?"

Asked by no one outside your little circle.

by Anonymousreply 142August 24, 2019 12:54 AM

R141 rising sea levels are not going to destroy things in the next few years. The next 50 years maybe, or maybe even 100 years.

And besides, this is a holiday home. They probably will keep the place a few years (if that) and then sell it and buy one somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 143August 24, 2019 10:04 AM

[quote] rising sea levels are not going to destroy things in the next few years

Blasphemy!

by Anonymousreply 144August 24, 2019 2:46 PM

REALITY!

by Anonymousreply 145August 24, 2019 2:51 PM

Just the one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146August 24, 2019 3:06 PM

While buying a house on the Vineyard is likely for the Obamas (they have vacationed there quite a bit) I need better confirmation than TMZ that they are buying a 14 million property- that place is huge and will require a significant amount of help to maintain. I doubt this is the house they will buy-

by Anonymousreply 147August 24, 2019 3:50 PM

[quote]Yes, back before they were placing children in camps

That happened during Obama dear. So how far back do you want to go?

by Anonymousreply 148August 24, 2019 4:00 PM

I thought I read that they had just rented a house in California. They bought the Kalorama rental house in Washington 2 years ago. So that is obviously where they plan on making their main residence.

And you can't believe a lot of what you read on that rag TMZ.

by Anonymousreply 149August 24, 2019 4:36 PM

[quote]Funny how the people bitching about Obama cashing out AFTER serving likely have no problem with the current occupant cashing out WHILE serving.

I've said so much shit about Trump that I'm probably on a government list. I have a whole fucking LOT of problems with Trump. Fuck you for trying to make what I said a "you're just racist" thing, you simpleton.

by Anonymousreply 150August 24, 2019 5:37 PM

No it didn't happen during Obama, freeper.

by Anonymousreply 151August 24, 2019 7:17 PM

I’m surprised they bought in DC. Rent until Sasha graduates and hightail it to NYC or LA.

by Anonymousreply 152August 24, 2019 7:21 PM

I believe they wanted to stay in Washington because I don't believe they're finished with politics yet. We don't know what they're up to behind the scenes, and I'm betting they are both involved in some major efforts, including to derail Jabba The Trump.

by Anonymousreply 153August 24, 2019 7:56 PM

Michelle and Barack will be everywhere once the dems pick Elizabeth Warren as their nominee!! Remember what Michelle wore the day they turned over the keys to the White House? That's the only day she ever let herself be. And she was disgusted. They won't stay uninvolved, once the coast is clear. She worked hard for Hillary, much harder than Obama did.

They've gone Hollywood for sure, but they won't reside there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154August 24, 2019 8:08 PM

They generally seem over politics. They will do their duty - but feel like they’ve done their part already.

by Anonymousreply 155August 24, 2019 8:10 PM

[quote]No it didn't happen during Obama, freeper.

Only responding to rub your nose in shit but here you go:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156August 24, 2019 8:29 PM

I hope they won't be shunning me at parties!

by Anonymousreply 157August 24, 2019 8:40 PM

I hope they won't be shunning me at parties!

by Anonymousreply 158August 24, 2019 8:41 PM

I just looked at the slideshow. Can we please stop pretending that's not a McMansion?

by Anonymousreply 159August 24, 2019 8:49 PM

Needs more gold.

by Anonymousreply 160August 24, 2019 8:53 PM

I think it's a very ordinary mansion. I don't like it at all. And not just because it's all white. There's one nice bedroom and ALL the rest is pretty bad. Oh, the property. The property is fine. But Martha's Vineyard is a bleak place, unless you always have guests. Since they're taking a private jet everywhere, why not live in Bermuda?

by Anonymousreply 161August 24, 2019 9:00 PM

[qoute] No it didn't happen during Obama, freeper.

Did you seriously not know that, R151? Even Snopes doesn't try to spin that one.

by Anonymousreply 162August 24, 2019 10:09 PM

I hope Trump dumps a boatload or two of "undocumented citizens" off in their zip code.

by Anonymousreply 163August 24, 2019 10:33 PM

[quote]They generally seem over politics. They will do their duty - but feel like they’ve done their part already.

The biggest criticism I heard of Obama from my friends who worked in DC is that he seemed to be all about himself and didn't care about other Democrats. Several members of his own cabinet complained privately that they had a hard time communicating with him. That may be why Democrats lost so many seats at the national and state levels when he was in office. Republicans took control of most states between 2008-2012.

The Clintons have always been the opposite. They have worked tirelessly to help other Democrats and are beloved within the party.

by Anonymousreply 164August 24, 2019 10:34 PM

[quote] Remember what Michelle wore the day they turned over the keys to the White House? That's the only day she ever let herself be.

Let herself be what?

by Anonymousreply 165August 24, 2019 10:49 PM

[quote]George Washing was, until Trump, the richest president by far the USA ever had

Still true. Trump is a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 166August 24, 2019 11:11 PM

Thank you, R121. This thread is filled with a bunch of freeper CUNTS, who want to come on here and bash a black man and his black wife, for making money.

EVERYTHING this man attempted to accomplish was either blocked, or fought against, tooth and nail, by a group of slime ridden grifters, who have no problem with selling out to Russian interests, big oil, big pharma, and the health insurance racketeers, which are all determined to make America as fucked up as possible, again!

You despicable pieces of shit come on here and begrudge him an honorable living, because that’s what Republican, and Boris Johnson loving trolls do, when they see a black man move up. Unless, of course, he’s a basketball, football, or baseball player, or a rapper. But god forbid he write books and make speeches! Instead, he should have lined his pockets while still in office, by opening up a hotel in Washington, DC, right?

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 167August 24, 2019 11:58 PM

[quote] I hope Trump dumps a boatload or two of "undocumented citizens" off in their zip code.

He couldn't do that you nitwit. He'd have to raid the kitchen and housekeeping staffs of every one of his hotel properties.

by Anonymousreply 168August 25, 2019 12:34 AM

[quote] Thank you, [R121]. This thread is filled with a bunch of freeper CUNTS, who want to come on here and bash a black man and his black wife, for making money.

The only thing Datalounge hates more than black people is rich black people. They worship white wealth and they accept the small number of people who accept it as the natural order of things. Black wealth is always seen was undeserved, ill gotten. Black people are always supposed to be poorer than whites.

by Anonymousreply 169August 25, 2019 12:35 AM

[quote] "No nation, however large or small, wealthy or poor, can escape the impact of climate change. Rising sea levels threaten every coastline. More powerful storms and floods threaten every continent."

[quote] "The science is beyond dispute and the facts are clear. Sea levels are rising. Coastlines are shrinking."

[quote] "We’ll continue to see rising oceans, longer, hotter heat waves, dangerous droughts and floods."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170August 25, 2019 12:36 AM

Correction:

The only thing Datalounge hates more than black people is rich black people. They worship white wealth and they accept the small number of people who have it as the natural order of things. Black wealth is always seen was undeserved, ill gotten. Black people are always supposed to be poorer than whites.

by Anonymousreply 171August 25, 2019 12:41 AM

Maybe R171. But I think everyone who is insanelyrich is equally corrupt and disgusting. Ready for socialism. Or a taxation’s system that doesn’t allow so much wealth to accumulate to so few - black, white or Asian.

by Anonymousreply 172August 25, 2019 1:43 AM

29 Acres is big enough to put a par 3, 4, and 5 holes, and a large putting green. That would probably only take up 7 or 8 acres. An outbuilding will have to be built for secret service. The property is quite nice though - house is meh.

by Anonymousreply 173August 25, 2019 2:36 AM

Correct r171. There is a population of white people who get irrationally triggered at seeing black people with money.

As was mentioned the Obama's book advance alone was worth 65 million. Then there is their lucrative Netflix deal.

There is nothing nefarious about the fact they have money.

by Anonymousreply 174August 25, 2019 2:56 AM

It's not a black people having money thing! Yo! Don't you think Hillary Clinton could've made hundreds of millions off that blow job her husband had with celebrity? A talk show? An Oprah like show? Hollywood producers trying to get her cooking show? No. Hillary is/ was dedicated to public service. She persevered.

by Anonymousreply 175August 25, 2019 5:04 AM

Clintons lived and breathed politics for decades and were deeply ingrained with a social consciousness. Barack seemed to stumble into politics and never seemed particularly passionate about it. And I think Michelle hated it - but learned to love the power and understood how important the first black presidency was. Obama’s are ready to move on. Clinton’s - especially Hilary - look at it as a moral calling. (Even if they do believe the end justifies the means)

by Anonymousreply 176August 25, 2019 5:20 PM

[quote] and were deeply ingrained with a social consciousness.

uh, no.

by Anonymousreply 177August 25, 2019 6:07 PM

Sorry, I don't buy it. Clinton was a great POTUS. That is undeniable. And I think Hillary would have been a great POTUS. If anything, they both know how to cater to the people who can do the most for them. But as people he and Hillary are as unethical and immoral a couple as they come. Bill and Hill are mainly interested in becoming and staying as rich as humanly possible. Politics was just the route they decided to take to attain the financial status they currently enjoy.

by Anonymousreply 178August 25, 2019 7:12 PM

That's a ridiculous assertion R178.

by Anonymousreply 179August 25, 2019 7:51 PM

[QUOTE]Black wealth is always seen was undeserved, ill gotten. Black people are always supposed to be poorer than whites.

What used to get me when I was in the credit industry was how badly so many blacks handled their income(s). Everyday I saw this. The husband made 75k, the wife 55k and yet they weren't credit worthy, usually they had history of not paying their bills, let alone having ever paid their bills on time.

by Anonymousreply 180August 25, 2019 8:54 PM

Maybe that was their way of getting reparations?

by Anonymousreply 181August 25, 2019 8:56 PM

R19 - discovered this today

Elevation of the property is only 3 foot above sea level

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182August 26, 2019 7:02 AM

Google Earth shows the house is 10-12 feet above sea level and the land does have a long slope down to the pond. The pond, according to an article posted upthread at r18 is actually 2.5 feet above sea level. Entering the address of a 29 acre property isn't going to give very accurate results.

by Anonymousreply 183August 26, 2019 1:55 PM

^^^The house is also setback ~500 ft from just the pond. Don't worry, the Obamas are going to be just fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184August 26, 2019 2:14 PM

Right, r183 r184 but what does it say that they're willing to spend 15 million for a property which will be physically halved within a very few years?

Someone needs to explain this to me. I simply don't understand this investment strategy.

by Anonymousreply 185August 26, 2019 2:17 PM

Their money, their gamble. The sandbar(as stated in the article at r18, when broken rebuilds itself in about two weeks), the pond and the 500 ft setback are all insurance.

by Anonymousreply 186August 26, 2019 2:27 PM

Hmmm. Ok, Ruth Madoff at r186.

by Anonymousreply 187August 26, 2019 2:32 PM

My roommate just came home and said, when I asked about this, said "Rich people buy wherever they want, the seas don't rise for THEM"

by Anonymousreply 188August 26, 2019 2:36 PM

This house and its location are so tired and uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 189August 26, 2019 2:46 PM

r189 's cunt needs relining

by Anonymousreply 190August 26, 2019 2:53 PM

The only water that is going to damage that house in the foreseeable future is storm surge from a hurricane. Maybe one day, if the house stands long enough, global warming will raise the water level up high enough to reach the house, but it won't be in any of our lifetimes. But that doesn't negate the fact that global warming is very real and a very serious threat to our coastlines and needs to be dealt with NOW, before it's too late. Fixing it isn't going to happen in a few years. That's a fix that will take several decades to correct.

by Anonymousreply 191August 26, 2019 2:54 PM

Where did they get that kind of money? They were in the White House for 8 years.

Why do politicians always have millions and millions of dollars?

by Anonymousreply 192August 26, 2019 3:32 PM

it's only a rumor. I for one don't believe it for a second. I don't believe the Obamas are the type to engage in such vulgar displays of wealth. They spent $8+ million to buy the house in Washington. I can't see them spending twice that much to buy a vacation home.

by Anonymousreply 193August 26, 2019 3:35 PM

It's still just rumor, yes. They are currently renting it though.

by Anonymousreply 194August 26, 2019 3:39 PM

About as modest as he pretends to be.

by Anonymousreply 195August 26, 2019 3:52 PM

[R190] I'll have you know that my cunt is brand spanking new--the best that money can buy. Just like the Obamas' boring house.

by Anonymousreply 196August 26, 2019 6:10 PM

[quote] but it won't be in any of our lifetimes

AOC said in 8 years.

by Anonymousreply 197August 26, 2019 11:59 PM

Who said it isn't a McMansion. Swanky resorts are covered with such abominations.

by Anonymousreply 198August 27, 2019 12:41 AM

R197, who knows when huge parts of Antartica and Greenland will slip into the sea?

by Anonymousreply 199August 27, 2019 12:43 AM

Forbes confirms that they are purchasing this house that they've been renting this summer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 2, 2019 10:00 PM

The Obama's can definitely afford this new place. Michelle's book "Becoming" has already sold nearly 13 million copies. That's about $400 million dollars in revenue right there. Plus her arena book tour completely sold out and she banked millions from that as well.

Than there's that Netflix deal the Obama's signed, I wouldn't be surprised if the contract was worth every bit of $100 million dollars or more. Not only that, but tickets just went on sale for Michelle's new speaking tour she's launching soon. That's more $$.

Than there's Obama's speaking fees and his book will be released in late 2020 just in time for election time. And his book will probably double what Michelle's book generated.

By the way, Michelle's book generated 6 times what Clinton and Bush books brought in. And Michelle was just a first lady. I think that speaks to just how powerful the Obama brand is.

I'm glad to see them prosper financially.

Good for them. Every other president and first lady in modern history have done the same things to make $$ for themselves after leaving the white house.

by Anonymousreply 201September 10, 2019 12:28 PM

Hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 202September 10, 2019 1:01 PM

I love everything about the Obama's including this house. Perfect location and white palate for them to bring color to MV.

by Anonymousreply 203September 10, 2019 1:17 PM

Trump is the hypocrite. He's actually profiting off of the presidency while still in office.

The Obama's are no longer beholden to the country, they can do whatever the hell they want. Everyone else is, remember in the Trump era anything goes and there's no more rules. I hope the Obama's make billions.

Everyone else is doing whatever the fuck they want. So why not them too? At least their not in office which means they can do whatever they want.

Good for them.

by Anonymousreply 204September 10, 2019 1:22 PM

It's "then," not "than," and stop using "Obama's" when you mean "Obamas."

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

by Anonymousreply 205September 10, 2019 1:28 PM

^Your right, I didn't mean too.

by Anonymousreply 206September 10, 2019 2:21 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the Obamas tore down that house and built something even better. They have plenty of $$ to do whatever they want.

by Anonymousreply 207September 12, 2019 1:26 AM

how many fucking "tasteful friends" posts do we need on here?!?!

by Anonymousreply 208September 12, 2019 6:57 AM

R208 As many as we can get. This has been a pretty good thread so far.

Especially discussing wealthy people and what they buy with their $$.

No ones holding a gun to your head.

by Anonymousreply 209September 12, 2019 12:25 PM

They're putrid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210September 16, 2019 4:05 AM

That house is whiter inside than the White House.

by Anonymousreply 211December 5, 2019 4:29 PM

R208 I’m suddenly curious to read the “fucking ‘tasteful friends’” threads. All the friends I’ve fucked have been pretty tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 212December 5, 2019 4:30 PM

It actually looks perfect for an island getaway house

by Anonymousreply 213December 5, 2019 6:37 PM

R208 I love the "tasteful friends" posts on here, even though I'm not exactly "tasteful" myself. I've got some great ideas from some of the "busier" places posted on her

by Anonymousreply 214December 6, 2019 2:04 AM

I just love that house. I've been to their DC home and it's gorgeous inside (not a fan of the exterior). Obama is a frustrated architect so hopefully this is all fun for him.

by Anonymousreply 215December 10, 2019 12:57 PM

R2, Martha's Vineyard has been a vacation spot for wealthy black families for about 100 years. There's a place called the "Ink Well". There was even a movie of the same name that took place there.

by Anonymousreply 216December 10, 2019 1:07 PM

Just fyi.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217December 10, 2019 1:09 PM

How we love go gaze in at the spectacular lives of our rulers....We're so happy for them.

by Anonymousreply 218December 10, 2019 1:16 PM

The Clintons have been hammered a lot for this, including for speeches. I don't have a problem with it. As for the house, they will spend the summers there and the daughters will probably bring friends.

by Anonymousreply 219April 11, 2021 6:14 PM

Only assholes have an issue with people simply being wealthy. The problem lies in them not wanting to pay their fair share. Pay your

by Anonymousreply 220April 11, 2021 6:47 PM

I don't love the house. The location is lovely. They have the wealth to demolish the house and build something really beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 221April 11, 2021 7:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!