Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Winona Ryder

Like the time Madonna stole the spotlight from Rosanna Arquette in what was supposed to a showcasing starring role, Winona Ryder produced and starred in "Girl, Interrupted" and could not escape the resulting chants of Angelina! Angelina! Angelina!

What do you think of this tragic doe-eyed fallen ingenue?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89Yesterday at 8:43 PM

Part 2

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104/05/2021

I love that movie and I loved Winona in it, but Angelina Jolie was a phenom in it. I thought Brittany Murphy stole every scene she was in as well.

That was the end of Winona’s ingenue roles — kind of crazy it went as late as 1999.

by Anonymousreply 204/05/2021

She could have survived the Angelina usurping but the shoplifting thing made her seem crazy and people got scared of hiring her.

And she handled the shoplifting thing so poorly. She fought it all the way and had sleazy lawyer Mark Geragos represent her. She'd mouth off to the judge.

A guilty plea and a tearful apologetic interview with Oprah or Diane Sawyer or Barbara Walters would have erased the whole thing from people's mind but it dragged on for like a year or more.

by Anonymousreply 304/05/2021

According to an old blind item I read a few years ago, when working on the set of Black Swan with Natalie Portman, she supposedly confided in her that Johnny Depp was violent towards her during their relationship and she was terrified of him at the time (thus, her public statement after Amber Heard accused him was a lie).

by Anonymousreply 404/05/2021

This what I wrote in the op of a thread I started on her a few years ago:

Love Winnie. Even through the shoplifting days. So happy she came back.

Beetlejuice, Mermaids, Edward Scissorhands, Heathers, Little Women, Reality Bites, Girl Interrupted, Age of Innocence, Boys, The Crucible, Autumn in New York.

The rewatchable factor of her films is amazing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 504/05/2021

[quote] I thought Brittany Murphy stole every scene she was in as well.

She was better than both of them, though Jolie was aces. This moment always cracks me up 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 604/05/2021

R5 - yes, she was in some amazing movies and always played intense characters to some extent; sometimes quietly intense with her eyes doing the work. I’d forgotten about the crucible! She was such a vixen in that movie!

She was also in some bombs—like Autumn in New York. She had zero chemistry with Richard Gere and he hinted as much by calling her a “flibbertgibbet” and “nervous Nellie.” I’m sure she appreciated that...

by Anonymousreply 704/05/2021

[quote] And she handled the shoplifting thing so poorly. She fought it all the way and had sleazy lawyer Mark Geragos represent her. She'd mouth off to the judge.

I was surprised she actually got convicted of that. I thought her celebrity status would have affected the jury's decision. I thought less of Geragos after that trial. Yes, she should have just pled guilty and said I'm sorry, etc.

Sounds like the prosecutor was starstruck, though:

[quote] After the case, Ms Rundle said she would not be seeking a prison sentence but probation or community service. She described Ryder, with whom she had spoken in court, as "a very nice individual"

That's from the Guardian.

by Anonymousreply 804/05/2021

She really was the IT girl of the late '80s/early '90s -- Lucas, Square Dance, Beetlejuice, Heathers, Edward Scissorhands, Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael, Mermaids, Dracula, The Age of Innocence, Reality Bites, Little Women.

She had about 10 solid years and I liked Girl, Interrupted, though I agree Brittany stole the entire movie and should have won the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 904/05/2021

Good

by Anonymousreply 1004/05/2021

Count me as one who thought Ryder was better than Jolie in Girl, Interrupted, and I was never much of a Winona fan. Angelina just caught the critics' eye that year and it was all about her performance. I felt bad for Winona because she was better than Jolie, as was Brittany Murphy.

by Anonymousreply 1104/05/2021

It warms my heart that even on DL, Brittany Murphy is universally beloved.

by Anonymousreply 1204/05/2021

Brittany Murphy is awesome! Winona is PsYcHo!

by Anonymousreply 1304/05/2021

Murphy was a psycho drug addict too.

by Anonymousreply 1404/05/2021

Her Little Women is my absolute favorite. She’s perfect as Jo and I didn’t even mind Trini Alverado’s bad teeth.

by Anonymousreply 1504/05/2021

Girl, Interrupted was released on Blu-Ray last week. I think it's a very good film and I think Winona was perfectly cast. The scene where she lashes out at Whoopi is still very shocking (Whoopi was also great in this).

It's a very dark film but well-acted.

by Anonymousreply 1604/05/2021

I remember at the time of the shoplifting there were quite a few films she was attached to that seem to have been shelved. It’s a shame as they could have helped her career and a couple of them sounded like the kind of period stuff that got her acclaim with ‘little women’ and ‘the age of innocence’.

I like Winona but she seems happier where she is now. She seems to have a private life now which isn’t really reported so much.

I do wonder if she burned bridges though, you’d think Scorsese might give her a small part in one of his films if they’re still such good friends...

by Anonymousreply 1704/05/2021

They tried EVERYTHING to make Winona Ryder a movie star in the eyes of the public, but people just had NO interest in her. She couldn't carry any movie on her own name and studios got tired of wasting money on her. It's like that Chris Rock joke: "Eventually, they just stopped making Christian Slater movies." The same is true for Winona Ryder.

by Anonymousreply 1804/06/2021

She starred in Mr. Deeds in 2002 which was a box office hit (even though like all Sandler films is it shit). So, she had a career that spanned from 1986 with Lucas to at least 2002. That is 18 years, which is a long career for many actresses. The shoplifting thing really did hurt her career but it is possible that even without it her career would have hit a slump.

Regardless of why, I am glad that she is back, even if it is just a silly little Netflix show.

by Anonymousreply 1904/06/2021

God knows how Keanu Reeves managed to become such a staple when he has the same charisma.

by Anonymousreply 2004/06/2021

Damn it. Where is Beetlejuice 2!?!

by Anonymousreply 2104/06/2021

Love love love Winona. She's fairly limited as an actor when you compare her to actors of a similar age - Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette or Rachel Weisz - but in the right role and the right director she is outstanding and comes alive on screen.

To think that her career was so badly derailed by SHOPLIFTING when men have gotten away with beating their wives and girlfriends says a lot about the sexism in Hollywood.

As for Girl Interrupted it shows the way women are pitched against each other. It was Winona vs Angelina in a way that a film like Rain Man wasn't Hoffman vs Cruise.

Girl Interrupted was more deserving of nomination for Outstanding Cast at the SAG than The Green Mile.

by Anonymousreply 2204/06/2021

R19, Winona Ryder did NOT star in Mr. Deeds. ADAM SANDLER starred in Mr. Deeds and his nitwit fanbase, which is admittedly large, made it a hit. NO ONE went to that movie to see Winona Ryder and the movie would've made just as much money if Julie Warner or Maura Tierney had been cast in Winona's role. Do not try to suggest that Winona gets credit for the success of that movie. Tell me some box office successes that were based on Winona Ryder's name. Movies that she carried in which she was the main draw.

by Anonymousreply 2304/06/2021

As a child/teen of the 90s, she was the Julia Roberts for the indie sect.

Heathers, Mermaids, Reality Bites, Edward Scissorheads.

No idea if they were great box office, but I can still watch each of those movies today. They defined much of my young life.

by Anonymousreply 2404/06/2021

R23 ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2504/06/2021

R23 ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2604/06/2021

I think she was psycho and a mean girl for years so when The shoplifting incident happened, that was the catalyst For her to be over.

I always remembered this story About her in the online comments - I think it was Gawker - She did a Mark Jacobs ad where she was holding a framed picture of Patti Smith - The girl writing the comment had loaned it for the photo shootAnd one day she ran into Wynonna at a party or something so she struck up a conversation with her and brought up the picture To let her know she was the owner. Well, She brought up the picture and before she could tell the story Wynonna started going on and on about how Patti gave her that picture and they’re so close she’s like her second mom blah blah blah... I remember the girl wrote “so I slowly backed away from her” Realizing how nuts she was

by Anonymousreply 2704/06/2021

R27 What?

by Anonymousreply 2804/06/2021

R23 That is s lot of emotions for Mr. Deeds. Didn’t expect to find such a huge Sandler fan on Datalounge.

I never said she was the reason WHY people went to see Mr. Deeds. But, she did STAR in the film. She wasn’t the main star, but that doesn’t mean she didn’t star in it. The point is she was still in films that were making money until at LEAST 2002.

by Anonymousreply 2904/06/2021

R27 thinks this is a discussion about Wynonna Judd, not Winona Ryder.

by Anonymousreply 3004/06/2021

There’s something sad about watching her in Black Swan. A washed up actress playing a washed up ballerina.

by Anonymousreply 3104/06/2021

she's a great rabid mom in "stranger things"

by Anonymousreply 3204/06/2021

I think the shoplifting/ mental health stuff ruined her career at that time, but she was huge in the 90s. She has aged very well and doesn't seem to have had a lot, if any, work done. Glad she sort of made a comeback with Stranger Things.

by Anonymousreply 3304/06/2021

She was great in The Plot Against America. It's a shame it didn't get more award recognition, both for her and Zoe Kazan.

by Anonymousreply 3404/06/2021

Bitch shouldn't leave scripts laying about the house.

by Anonymousreply 3504/06/2021

Love Noni, though I do think she is limited as an actress. Like Molly Ringwald before her, she defined an era, but also didn't have the acting ability to sustain her success when she aged out.

Interesting to read about the rumours about Depp's abusing her, as perhaps THAT might explain why she pulled out of Godfather III.

by Anonymousreply 3604/06/2021

No one did coming of age/teenage-young adult angst in the 90’s better than Winona. I love her in Stranger Things. I hope she can still star in movies in the future - in the right role she is amazing. Pair her with Cristina Ricci again or Christian Slater or Keanu.

by Anonymousreply 3704/06/2021

R37 oh please not keanu again. Together they suck

by Anonymousreply 3804/06/2021

R36 yes, that reminds me of one blind that talked about how Depp had been messing around with an antique gun he owned and it actually went off and hit Winona—don’t recall where it said she was shot, but she had to pull out of a movie to heal. I don’t know how they managed to keep that a secret, but I guess because Winona didn’t say a word, it never got out to the public?

by Anonymousreply 3904/06/2021

Of all celebrity scandals and crimes, Winona shoplifting still surprises me. She had several homes (LA, NYC, San Francisco) had career prestige and worked with some of the biggest directors ever.

She also had a mystique and above-it-all cool that shoplifting immediately deflated.

by Anonymousreply 4004/06/2021

Both Angelina and Brittany Murphy stole the show.

by Anonymousreply 4104/06/2021

R40 I think there were lots of implications that she had an issue with pills. I think even drew Barrymore hinted at it in one of her interviews when she was questioning why so many big stars at the time (mid 90s) were messed up on drugs but still being hired. Wasn’t her “exhaustion” in the godfather: part 3 said to be drug related.

by Anonymousreply 4204/06/2021

R3 Did she "mouth off" to the judge? I never heard that. I only ever saw that moment where the prosecuting lawyer got very tactless about the defence mentioning her efforts to help find the missing (murdered) girl Polly Klaas as a character reference ("they're trotting out the body of DEAD CHILD!") and Winona dramatically rose from her seat in open-mouthed shock (but didn't actually say anything)

by Anonymousreply 4304/07/2021

R4 Winona was in only 4 scenes of Black Swan. It would have only been a few days work. She probably wasn't around Portman long enough to get close to her and confide in her about sensitive stuff like this. And if this was said in confidence - how did anyone other than Portman find out?

by Anonymousreply 4404/07/2021

R39 This doesn't seem at all believable. That tiny little Winona could get shot at close range and quickly recover between movies, and no one's ever spotted any scars. Or this "antique gun" one of those really ancient ones that fires metal balls rather than bullets? Like something from the era Pirates of the Caribbean was set in?

by Anonymousreply 4504/07/2021

Her original nose

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4604/07/2021

Leave NeeNee alone!

by Anonymousreply 4704/07/2021

She gets a lifetime pass for Beetlejuice and Heathers. She was every teenage weirdo's favorite. She was able to tap into that angst better than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 4804/07/2021

Wino Forever!

by Anonymousreply 4904/07/2021

I seem to recall that Winona was hanging out with Courtney Love a lot right around the time of her shoplifting / prescription pill debacle. Totally a coincidence, of course. Totally.

by Anonymousreply 5004/07/2021

R50 She should’ve stuck with Tori and Kevin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5104/07/2021

R3 hit it on the nail. That's exactly what happened. Thank god for stranger days.

by Anonymousreply 5204/07/2021

I don't much care for the film adaptation of 'Girl, Interrupted.' The book is terrific--spare, insightful, and often funny, which the movie did not capture at all.

Angelina Jolie gives, frankly, what I consider to be a poor performance; rarely subtle and never deep, she demands attention but does not emerge from the film as a believably human character. Susanna Kaysen herself described the performance as "histrionic."

Chloë Sevigny should have won the Oscar that year for her subtle but affecting work in 'Boys Don't Cry.'

by Anonymousreply 5304/07/2021

I've seen Heathers and Little Women so many times, but this thread has made me want to watch Mermaids, Girl Interrupted, The Age Of Innocence and How To Make An America Quilt again.

Her chemistry with Christian Bale in Little Women was great.

by Anonymousreply 5404/07/2021

R53 I love “Boys Don’t Cry” and Swank is stunning in the film, but, although I like Sevigny in it, she barely keeps up with either. Definitely not Oscar worthy for that performance. I prefer her raw, authentic work in “Kids,” which she should’ve been nominated for.

I’m partial to Ms. Lange in “Titus” for supporting in ‘99.

by Anonymousreply 5504/07/2021

And Julianne Moore wasn't even nominated for Magnolia.

Winona and Paul Thomas Anderson is collaboration that would get me excited. Maybe reunite her with DDL again.

by Anonymousreply 5604/07/2021

Bitch got prime Damon ass!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5704/07/2021

R56 Or Melora Walters, who nearly steals “Magnolia” from everyone. She’s my second favorite supporting performance after Lange that year. In fact, I would’ve been happy with either winning.

The scene when Philip Baker Hall comes to visit her is both riveting and heartbreaking. Too bad I can’t find a clip of it on YouTube. Her final scene is also wordlessly moving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5804/07/2021

Mermaids and Edward Scissorhands were in the theatre at the same time and I bought a ticket for one and snuck into the other

by Anonymousreply 5904/07/2021

God, I love Mermaids. I recently rewatched it on Prime and thought it held up beautifully. Cher, Ryder, and Ricci are perfection in it.

by Anonymousreply 6004/07/2021

[quote]I thought Brittany Murphy stole every scene she was in as well.

[quote]I agree Brittany stole the entire movie and should have won the Oscar.

Underrated actress, she deserves her own thread.

[quote]I love Mermaids. I recently rewatched it on Prime and thought it held up beautifully

I haven’t watched this in years, good to know it’s on Prime, I also need to rewatch A Scanner Darkly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6104/07/2021

Jolie should have been nominated for best actress, not supporting. And Murphy should have won supporting. Jolie has proved herself a bit of monster since that time we all loved her (Gia/Girl Interrupted).

by Anonymousreply 6204/07/2021

The week I moved to New York in 1992, I saw Winona Ryder driving this car by St. Patrick's Cathedral

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6304/07/2021

R60 haven’t watched it in years but it seemed to be on HBO constantly in the 90s so I have fond memories of it. I’ll have to watch it again soon. I love Cher’s version of the Shoop Shoop Song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6404/07/2021

R29, Obviously I'm not a Sandler fan. I called his fanbase a bunch of nitwits (of course, they seem like geniuses compared to a moron like you because at least they can read and understand what they've read). I generally hate ALL Sandler movies except Punch Drunk Love. What I don't like is idiots like you trying to defend Winona Ryder as a box office star by pointing out that she got the "girl" role in a Sandler movie. She was never a movie star and her name in the cast of a movie meant absolutely nothing. Now shut up, you gibbering pinhead.

by Anonymousreply 65Last Sunday at 10:55 PM

r2 ms ryder was a poor trini alvarado

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66Last Sunday at 11:05 PM

She has no range. Awful actress.

by Anonymousreply 67Last Sunday at 11:06 PM

r66

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68Last Sunday at 11:06 PM

r68

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69Last Sunday at 11:07 PM

She tried to steal the spotlight, but the store detective caught her in the act.

by Anonymousreply 70Last Sunday at 11:09 PM

I just saw her in something called "Turks & Caicos." The role was screaming out for a wounded femme fatale type - Faye Dunaway would have been perfect if it were a 1970s movie - but Winona could not deliver that.

by Anonymousreply 71Yesterday at 12:50 AM

I loved Ryder in Reality Bites, she captured that post-college aimlessness and ennui perfectly. A few other good roles like Heathers, Roxy Carmichael, Boys, Night On Earth, Beetlejuice... she isn't a heavyweight thespian and never was, but she wore the 'being the face of a generation' thing well and chose interesting projects instead of going the pretty girl route.

I actually heard Courtney Love was considered for Angelina Jolie's role in Girl Interrupted (she had just been nommed for a Golden Globe for Larry Flynt and had some cache as an actress in Hollywood), and she warned her buddy Winona Ryder that Jolie would steal all her thunder and that she [Courtney] wouldn't. LOL. She's bonkers but she's also right about a lot of things.

I don't know what Ryder's issues are, but I found this Christina Ricci moment interesting. Obviously there's something going on, drugs or otherwise. I try to reserve a lot of grace for child actresses in general because they have usually gone through immense trauma (and sadly have often been assaulted as children). Ricci is another one who isn't given the current career her impressive resume deserves, but she never had a shoplifting controversy or anything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72Yesterday at 8:19 AM

Christinas Ricci and Hendricks need to appear in something together. They are so similar.

by Anonymousreply 73Yesterday at 8:24 AM

Courtney Love probably would have been good in Girl Interrupted she since actually was put into various institutions as a teenager with lockdowns and restraints.

by Anonymousreply 74Yesterday at 8:31 AM

Winona should do a picture with Christina Rocco. Christina can do all the heavy lifting and help Winona come off okay.

by Anonymousreply 75Yesterday at 8:43 AM

Duh, *Ricci

by Anonymousreply 76Yesterday at 8:44 AM

Christina is the actress that Winzoni never was. Sorry. Same with the Arquettes. I laughed with Rosanna tried to come forth and say Weinstein messed it all up for her. Uhm, no, she was known as a shit actress from about the beginning. It was Pat who had the tits and it was Pat who was the actress.

by Anonymousreply 77Yesterday at 8:47 AM

Courtney Love as a teenager or even early twenties at the turn of the millennium?!

by Anonymousreply 78Yesterday at 8:51 AM

"I was relieved that the little Australian girl got it"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79Yesterday at 8:55 AM

Winona is a creation of marketing and styling. She was quite a plain child as that junior high school picture shows. She got a nose job, lip injections, and a boob job. They slapped a bunch of make-up on her for Heathers, and she was suddenly the sexy goth face of a generation. Her career didn't last past the end of the 90s because there was never much weight there. Say what you will about Goop, but she's a good actress and has more range than Winona ever did. Shakespeare in Love wouldn't have been nearly as good with Winona.

That said, I wish Kate Winslet had accepted the role of Viola when it was offered. She really could have rocked that part.

by Anonymousreply 80Yesterday at 9:02 AM

R72 wow that was weird. The first few seconds of her reaction I thought Ricci was joking, but I’m pretty sure that she wasn’t. So she’s either on drugs or she’s batshit crazy (or both).

by Anonymousreply 81Yesterday at 11:22 AM

[quote] She had zero chemistry with Richard Gere and he hinted as much by calling her a “flibbertgibbet” and “nervous Nellie.”

He's had so little chemistry with his co-stars I would put the blame equally on him (of not more of it).

by Anonymousreply 82Yesterday at 11:30 AM

'Girl, Interrupted' is an ensemble movie. Angie was a revelation but all of the actresses really shined in it, including Winona.

by Anonymousreply 83Yesterday at 11:31 AM

[quote]I thought Brittany Murphy stole every scene she was in as well.

Well Winona stole every outfit she could carry out of Saks Fifth Avenue.

by Anonymousreply 84Yesterday at 11:40 AM

R72 I am so intrigued! What the fuck was Ricci claiming she knows? Incidentally, Christina looks great in that video.

Anyway, what [italic]is[/italic] she talking about.

by Anonymousreply 85Yesterday at 11:54 AM

Obviously she's referring to Winona being on drugs

by Anonymousreply 86Yesterday at 1:03 PM

Winona turned 18 on the set of Mermaids.

Her and Ricci were kids. I hope Cher looked after them both.

by Anonymousreply 87Yesterday at 1:10 PM

Christina Ricci and Drew Barrymore have those classic movie-star eyes and facial features naturally with no effort, which means they could pull off a period movie from that era

by Anonymousreply 88Yesterday at 1:14 PM

Her dome disqualifies her from "classic movie star." Even Bette Davis' features were less confronting.

by Anonymousreply 89Yesterday at 8:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!