Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Top Chef Season 18: Portland

Couldn’t find a thread on this but it’s coming up in a couple of weeks - Thursday, April 1. I’m so excited.

A lot of these guys are hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21010 hours ago

Top Chef is my guilty pleasure while working from home. Can have it on in the background and only pay attention to the presentation of their food and the judging. Definitely some hotties coming up!

by Anonymousreply 103/12/2021

Not going to watch this season.

Last season had me swear off Top Chef for good.

After the oriental "Congee Queen" was basically handed the win on a silver platter, I said enough is enough.

The bitch made a tossed green salad with iceberg lettuce in one challenge.

And then she made congee in at least three other challenges.

That made her the TOP CHEF???

Give me a fucking break. That's when I decided I was done with the show.

They just wanted an oriental lesbian to win, to show how WOKE they are.

by Anonymousreply 203/12/2021

Top Chef has always been the best cooking competition on TV. I haven’t missed an episode since Season 1 when Harold Dieterle won.

by Anonymousreply 303/12/2021

Competitive cooking shows drive me NUTS.. "Here's a carrot and a sack of flour, now WOW, me"!

PASS!

I prefer instructional cooking shows.

by Anonymousreply 403/12/2021

Portland? Was it recorded before the insurrection there?

by Anonymousreply 503/12/2021
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 603/12/2021

It's not really a cooking show. It's a competition reality TV show centered around cooking food. I watch for hotties like Stefan and Sam.

by Anonymousreply 703/12/2021

I wish they'd bring back [italic]Top Chef: Just Desserts,[/italic] or, as I like to call it, [italic]Mentally Ill Pastry Chefs.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 803/12/2021

Any gay contestants?

by Anonymousreply 903/12/2021

[quote] I wish they'd bring back Top Chef: Just Desserts

"The Red Hots Were For My Mommy!!!!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1003/12/2021

This is the only remaining saving grace for Bravo. The endless Housewhores shows and other insane "scripted reality" crap has made the network unwatchable. There were several iterations of this show at one point, featured throughout the year, and they were all infinitely more interesting than anything else on Bravo. So I'm looking forward to the new season.

Oh, and fuck the racist shrieking Qunt at R2. Go ride your twat on a mandolin, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1103/12/2021

R11 = CONGEE CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 1203/12/2021

I've had r2 blocked for eons. Always good to see I made the right decision.

by Anonymousreply 1303/12/2021

This should be an interesting season, if for no other reason than to see how they worked around COVID restrictions.

by Anonymousreply 1403/12/2021

Don't worry, R14.

Another untalented oriental will win.

Top Chef can't get enough of them.

by Anonymousreply 1503/12/2021

Same, r13. On his (?) deathbed, he'll be twitching and muttering about an Asian conspiracy and "congee".

by Anonymousreply 1603/12/2021

Is this their first season in Portland?

by Anonymousreply 1703/13/2021

Will be watching Gabriel, the chef on the left at R6

by Anonymousreply 1803/13/2021

Is that Teabag??

by Anonymousreply 1903/13/2021

I see thirst queen Brooke is back. She floats up like a stinky turd every season.

by Anonymousreply 2003/13/2021

Well they have plenty of Black contestants to chose from.

by Anonymousreply 2103/13/2021

Extraordinarily bizarre choice to air this when restaurants are in the trash and most are broke and have gone out of business.

by Anonymousreply 2203/13/2021

R22, people want escapism. Enough damn doom and gloom in the 24/7 News/Twitter cycle.

by Anonymousreply 2303/13/2021

Especially with Padma's involvement, I'm sure this will all be addressed during the season.

by Anonymousreply 2403/13/2021

Time to cancel this show.

by Anonymousreply 2503/13/2021

I'm cancelling you instead, R25.

by Anonymousreply 2603/13/2021

God is that racist lunatic from the last top chef season still hanging around? I have them on ignore as well but I wish they would go play in traffic and stop hanging around these threads.

by Anonymousreply 2703/13/2021

I liked the one season of Top Chef Duels they did r8. Was said they never did it again.

by Anonymousreply 2803/13/2021

Thanks for this thread, OP -- I'm excited for the show's return.

Bonus for Canadians: Top Chef Canada returns, as well, on April 19th!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2903/14/2021

Do they not allow Canadians to compete in the original?

by Anonymousreply 3003/18/2021

Dunno, R30, but I would assume not (?), which could be why Canada has/had its own iteration of many U.S. reality shows: The Amazing Race Canada, Big Brother Canada, Canadian Idol, Canada's Next Top Model, etc.

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2021

I need this. Now.

by Anonymousreply 3203/31/2021

One more day, R32! Premieres tomorrow!

by Anonymousreply 3303/31/2021

If anyone is interested, Bravo is showing Season 17 all day today. It started at 6 AM on the East Coast. I'm about to tune in as I hate the 3rd and 4th hours of the Today Show.

by Anonymousreply 3404/01/2021

Not a big year for white male representation.

by Anonymousreply 3504/01/2021

This is going to be a fun season. Shota is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 3604/01/2021

SPOILER¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥

They sent the old black dude home?!!!!! WTF. Not very woke.

by Anonymousreply 3704/01/2021

That Gabriel guy, did he once work for someone on the show? I think he might have mentioned it but I missed it....

by Anonymousreply 3804/01/2021

R38. He worked for Tom and I wanted to slap him, too

by Anonymousreply 3904/01/2021

(Psst.....That's a joke r38. Of course you couldn't miss it, he managed to work in that he worked for Tom 72 times in a 60 minute episode)

by Anonymousreply 4004/01/2021

Oops. I actually dvr’d and just started watching now so I wasn’t aware he’s a name dropper. But I really do want to slap him.

by Anonymousreply 4104/01/2021

Did the oriental chef win the elimination challenge with a congee dish?

Top Chef judges just love orientals, and they love congee even more!

by Anonymousreply 4204/01/2021

R37 His dish litterally looked like regurgitation but he seemed like a cool guy. Works for a formidable BBQ restaurant. Also an artist. Got to bring it.

by Anonymousreply 4304/01/2021

Am I the only one who thinks Gabriel looks like a little like Tim Tebow?

I like the new judging setup, with series alums rotating as the guest judge each week.

by Anonymousreply 4404/03/2021

Gabriel was a whiny little bitch.

by Anonymousreply 4504/03/2021

I guess anyone who sits at the table has to be inside their production quarantine. A pool of past contestants, rotating as guest judges, is easier to arrange than a one-episode celebrity guest judge.

I don’t understand why having them in a hotel works better than renting them a house. The contestants are not distancing from each other.

by Anonymousreply 4604/03/2021

That they are staying in separate hotel rooms rather than one house is a significant change r46. One there are no scenes of the chefs hanging out together at home, though that has really lessened in recent seasons anyway I guess. But the Chefs don't really get to know each other and bond as much.

by Anonymousreply 4704/03/2021

But they were all hanging out in some kind of public room at the hotel. What’s the difference?

by Anonymousreply 4804/03/2021

Personally I've loved some of the scenes over the years of the chefs hanging out at home, it did also give us thr Marcel head shaving incident which is still one of the most infamous incidents on Top Chef. Just pointing out its a difference.

by Anonymousreply 4904/03/2021

Ordering your food online from Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck, amirite?!?!) and then picking it up is a huge change as well.

by Anonymousreply 5004/03/2021

I liked how the chefs who created the best and worst dishes were sent to the judges’ table at the same time. Creating a little tension while you tried to figure out who’s dish was getting the chop.

Agree with R44 that Gabriel has a Tim-boesque face. He’s the hottest guy this season right? Douche-y but hot?

by Anonymousreply 5104/03/2021

I’m amazed they were able to film during a pandemic. Amazed and grateful because I love the show and I’m glad it’s back.

by Anonymousreply 5204/04/2021

Kwame looks good.

I didn't recognize Dale at first! He got a little chubsy.

by Anonymousreply 5304/05/2021

Spoiler alert!

The ORIENTAL wins.

Because the judges fucking LOVE orientals..

Thanks, Padme!

by Anonymousreply 5404/08/2021

I am so fucking sick of orientals on this show.

They are sub-par and yet they get rewarded again and again.

It's fucking disgusting, thniking about the favortism shown towards them.

This is why the ratings are down.

Nobody wants to watch Top Oriental.

This is a show about American chefs, not foreigners.

by Anonymousreply 5504/08/2021

That Quickfire was fun, though almost felt bad for the chefs how impossible it was. Seeing that one girl from Denver who I only remember because she kept making toast ask for toast made me chuckle.

Gabriel keeps showing he is kinda a douche though. Name dropping Tom last ep, trying to tell someone they can't put pepper in their ribs this ep.

I want to have sex with Shota.

by Anonymousreply 5604/08/2021

R56 = Rice Queen Tom Colicchio.

by Anonymousreply 5704/08/2021

Oriental judges, too.

Dale Talde, Melissa the Oriental Dyke, Padme the injun.

Are there any real Americans left on this show?

by Anonymousreply 5804/08/2021

r58 wait Rugs and Lamps can cook and judge? Oriental does not refer to a people you racist fuck.

PS I want Shota - he is hot as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 5904/08/2021

[quote]PS I want Shota - he is hot as fuck.

Surprise, surprise.

Rice Queen wants the tiny dicked oriental to win.

Oh, and another surprise. The oriental jap was in the top 4.

Don't bother entering this competition, white people.

The ugly orientals will always win.

by Anonymousreply 6004/08/2021

Shota is my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 6104/08/2021

[Quote]I liked how the chefs who created the best and worst dishes were sent to the judges’ table at the same time. Creating a little tension while you tried to figure out who’s dish was getting the chop.

Agree r51. I'm surprised Top Chef never did that before, it is how Project Runway and Drag Race handle things.

by Anonymousreply 6204/08/2021

You're in luck, R61.

He's a JAP, so he will win since he's an oriental.

This show just loves orientals.

by Anonymousreply 6304/08/2021

There does seem to be a good Portlander vs. bad Portlander subplot developing. I wonder how long it will last.

by Anonymousreply 6404/08/2021

Why do racists invade every thread? What has happened to Datalounge?

by Anonymousreply 6504/09/2021

Who is the Asian hate queen on this thread? Shouldn't he be on Parler or something?

by Anonymousreply 6604/09/2021

Just ignore FF and ignore the racist idiot r65, you don't have to give it the attention it desperately wants.

by Anonymousreply 6704/09/2021

I just scroll through the hate. This was one of my favorite quick fire challenges ever. It’s shaping up to be a really good season.

by Anonymousreply 6804/09/2021

The Quick Fire Challenge was actually fun to watch. Props to all the short order cooks out there! Most of the chefs had a helluva time getting their plates finished. That one dish with the vegetarian hash? I don't think either chef got their eggs on the dishes.

Did anyone else notice Kwame's fingernails were painted with some dark polish?

by Anonymousreply 6904/09/2021

[Quote]Props to all the short order cooks out there! Most of the chefs had a helluva time getting their plates finished.

In the real world the cook would not have to conceive of the dish first, and all the prep work for the menu would be done r69.

But yes, a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 7004/09/2021

First Last Chance Kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7104/09/2021

The racist is posting through multiple accounts. He started out by saying he wasn’t going to watch this season. Liar.

by Anonymousreply 7204/09/2021

It was a good quickfire. The staggered start times and variety made it more interesting and dynamic

by Anonymousreply 7304/09/2021

Shota is adorbs. With Covid, I wonder how they'll do restaurant wars this season. Regarding poster who consistently use "orientals" disparagingly & based on history, he's not just any run-of-the-mill racist, his vitriol is aimed specifically towards East Asians. Regardless, just ff him.

by Anonymousreply 7404/10/2021

R71, thanks for the link -- would you mind posting the winner of each week's LCK, though? You can surround it with the word SPOILERS if anyone follows the web series and doesn't want to be spoiled.

Bravo!'s videos aren't viewable by anyone outside the U.S.

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 7504/10/2021

Shota is indeed adorable, and I’m also crushing on tall, dark, and handsome Chris. He was in the bottom this week. He and Shota have a bromance going on. They called each other “handsome” and “sexy”.

by Anonymousreply 7604/10/2021

This week's Last Chance Kitchen R75

** SPOILERS ** SPOILERS ** SPOILERS **

The challenge was to create a dish using three "Hard Shell/Thick Skin" items from a limited selection of proteins, nuts, and fruit.

Sasha chose oysters, pistachios, and cherimoya. Roscoe chose clams, peanuts, and jackfruit.

Sasha made a cherimoya & green apple puree, a chicken-fried oyster, with toasted pistachios on top. Roscoe made a peanut veloute with jackfruit fritters, clams, and shiitake mushrooms.

Tom thought that Roscoe's dish was really good, but that Sasha's was so outstanding that she should file it away and make it again in the future. Sasha was declared the winner.

by Anonymousreply 7704/10/2021

R75, for some reason it was posted to YouTube. You can always try there. Otherwise, I will try my best to post.

by Anonymousreply 7804/10/2021

Thanks, R77/78! When I tried the YouTube route, I got the “uploader has not made this available” message for users outside the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 7904/10/2021

I’m very attracted to Chris, Shota, Nelson, and Avishar.

by Anonymousreply 8004/10/2021

Episode 2 was great fun with the right level of twist this early on in the competition.

You get a sense of who will be eliminated depending on how much back story they get during the episode, and since Sacha was featured quite heavily, it was easy to guess that she would be cut.

Also, it was funny how Dawn argued with Gabriel regarding their dish when she has failed to present a full plate of food twice in a row! So much for being able to make ribs with her eyes closed, lol.

by Anonymousreply 8104/10/2021

R81

Except most struggled also that second time she failed to get the food on the plate. And Gabriel telling her not to season her ribs with pepper was shitty. She was smart to not listen to him. She would’ve gotten panned for it being under seasoned if she did.

by Anonymousreply 8204/10/2021

Dawn has been getting a fair amount of screen time which makes me suspect she ends up going far. We will see.

by Anonymousreply 8304/11/2021

Is it fair to say that given this week's elimination challenge theme, we could figure who will win and who would be leaving among the 6 chefs, based on their "heritage", before judges' critiques?

by Anonymousreply 8404/15/2021

Two of three chefs in the bottom three were black, so they weren't pulling punches there r84.

I thought this challenge was fun, I appreciated exploring different food instead of the usual we see.

Definitely already seeing front runners, Shota once again in the top. Sarah didn't make the top 3 but they clearly loved her dish also.

by Anonymousreply 8504/15/2021

I’m enjoying this season. They’re dealing with diversity with a very deft hand. And most of the chefs seem like nice people.

by Anonymousreply 8604/15/2021

They really loved Sarah's dish, I thought she would be in the top.

by Anonymousreply 8704/15/2021

Let me guess: the oriental was in the top again?

Quelle surprise.

This show just can't get enough of those people.

They might as well just name him as the winner of Top Chef oriental already. That's what this show has become.

And I'm glad I'm not watching. They should just cancel this shit.

by Anonymousreply 8804/16/2021

Dude. We get it R88. You're a racist piece of shit. Please move on...

by Anonymousreply 8904/16/2021

r88 Were you a Vietnam War POW and haven't really seeked help for PTSD? The VA has great programs. Oh wait, at least you would be more nuanced in use of Asian slurs; using Oriental invariably just shows you're a dumb racist.

by Anonymousreply 9004/16/2021

Why are you guys bit ignoring it, and still giving it the attention it wants everytime? You share some of the blame too.

by Anonymousreply 9104/16/2021

Last Chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9204/16/2021

It’s a good thing our resident racist hasn’t seen this week’s episode. His head would explode.

by Anonymousreply 9304/16/2021

I'm all caught up on the episodes now. I'm liking this season and the challenges so far.

Brittany really shouldn't have diluted her red sauce with coconut milk.

by Anonymousreply 9404/16/2021

Pouring on something white to suffocate out the spice of the dish being her downfall in this challenge is so on the nose in terms of symbolism r94.

by Anonymousreply 9504/16/2021

R92, who won?

("The uploader has not made this video available in your country.")

TIA!

by Anonymousreply 9604/17/2021

R96 Top Chef SPOILER

This week it was Dawn

by Anonymousreply 9704/17/2021

*SPOILERS*

It seemed pretty obvious after the comments that Dawn was going to win. Her goat stew sounded good. I wish I could try some of the food! Shota and Jamie were the other top dishes and were no surprises given the judges' comments at the table.

Brittany finally got the boot. She deserved it. She took a spicy dish and diluted it with coconut milk. When she was doing it, I told my partner that move was going to send her home and it did. She really put the nail in the coffin when she told the judges she was cooking with her head, not her heart. Bye. Kiki was also in the bottom three. This African-inspired challenge should have been in her wheelhouse, and she pretty much said that when it was announced. Her stew seemed to get good marks, but her fufu (cassava and plantain dumplings) were cold and looked like lumps of glue. Her stew saved her, along with Brittany's admission that she was not cooking from her heart.

by Anonymousreply 9804/17/2021

Thanks, R97/98, but I meant who won LCK (per the link posted by R92).

by Anonymousreply 9904/17/2021

*LCK SPOILER*

R96, R98 here. I wasn't posting in response to you, just listing what happened as a means to chat about the show. But I'm happy to oblige.

Sasha won over her friend Brittany. Sasha has seemingly rebounded from her loss. She ran away with the first challenge against Roscoe, and Tom said Roscoe had a good dish. Sasha, however, had a great dish. It was similar against Brittany. Brittany cooked a corn, crab and fish chowder for the one-pot challenge and the judges all liked it (Gregory and Kwame helped Tom judge this LCK). But they were blown away by Sasha's dish, which was chicken cacciatore inspired.

If Sasha keeps cooking like this, she might be back in, but we'll see how she fares as the competition gets tougher. There are still some weaker chefs left in the main competition who have skated by so far. LCK gets tougher as the competition goes on as stronger chefs get eliminated. But Tom seems to think Sasha is the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 10004/17/2021

Many thanks, R98!

by Anonymousreply 10104/17/2021

I’m so in love with Kwame.

by Anonymousreply 10204/17/2021

R102, me too. I have a crush, lol. Is he gay?

by Anonymousreply 10304/17/2021

Kwame is straight, engaged to some girl, maybe they are married now.

Gregory is gay.

by Anonymousreply 10404/17/2021

Shota and Avishar are definitely my favorites at this point. Chris, Byron, and Sara are the back-ups.

Kiki is obviously WAY out of her depth and won't last long.

by Anonymousreply 10504/17/2021

It's Chris who seems clearly out of his depth r105 . There were serious cooking flaws with his dish two weeks in a row. He seems to be on borrowed time.

by Anonymousreply 10604/17/2021

[quote] Shota and Avishar are definitely my favorites at this point.

I wasn't sure about Avishar at first. I thought after he fumbled during those first few QFs and challenges, he was out of his depth. Glad he proved me wrong!

I can't think of his name, but the bearded guy who specializes in Mexican food -- I was left wondering what those beer tortillas taste like.

by Anonymousreply 10704/19/2021

That's Gabe R107. Also, his and Gabriel’s quick fire dishes were not mentioned at all?

How do the judges eat so many entrées at one sitting? Do they just take a bite and leave the rest? But we do see lots of empty plates, so some of them are hungry!

by Anonymousreply 10804/19/2021

Did the oriental win in the finale yet?

Did they eliminate the oriental during the competition, then bring them back from Last Chance Kitchen so they could win the whole competition yet?

Did the oriental make congee, or noodles, or some variation of an oriental dish and WOW the judges yet?

Don't worry. It's coming.

by Anonymousreply 10904/19/2021

I wish Gabriel wasn’t so douchey. Now that I know he owns one of my favorite delivery go-tos, it’s ruining the experience for me.

by Anonymousreply 11004/19/2021

[quote] That's Gabe [R107]. Also, his and Gabriel’s quick fire dishes were not mentioned at all?

R108, thanks! No wonder I keep getting those two's names mixed up.

So who are the early front-runners? Definitely Shota. Sara?

by Anonymousreply 11104/20/2021

I will try anything once, but this one did leave me feeling meh. Just not much of a stew person. I understand the depth of flavors and building them must be so difficult under time constraints.

by Anonymousreply 11204/20/2021

Raw chicken. Ick.

I wonder how many eye rolls they had to edit out when it was revealed they’d be cooking with Campbell’s soup. Next week: Fritos!

by Anonymousreply 11304/22/2021

Sasha's hair color and skin color are too close for comfort.

by Anonymousreply 11404/22/2021

That quickfire was a new low.

by Anonymousreply 11504/22/2021

Did the oriental win with a congee or noodle dish yet?

by Anonymousreply 11604/23/2021

It's not Portland without Beau Breedlove!

by Anonymousreply 11704/23/2021

Last Chance Kitchen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11804/23/2021

Generally they do just eat enough to taste all the components r108. But Padma has talked about how she is always on the treadmill while filming to deal with all the calories they eat.

Chris surprised me this episode, I walked upthread how he was out of his depth but he proved me wrong.

Kiki, I can't believe she was unaware her chicken was raw. You have to check before you serve food.

by Anonymousreply 11904/23/2021

I knew Gabe was winning this episode when they showed him talking to his family.

by Anonymousreply 12004/23/2021

So what exactly happened with Kiki’s chicken? She said she and Nelson tasted it and it wasn’t raw.

by Anonymousreply 12104/23/2021

R119 she did check and it was a little under and she said it would continue to cook on the plate

by Anonymousreply 12204/23/2021

It was a small fryer so we had to make it in batches. The test batch she and Nelson ate was fine, but that wasn't out of the batches the judges got.

That is why Tom advised her to use the big grill provided rather than the tiny fryer.

by Anonymousreply 12304/23/2021

Using a deep fryer in the outdoors hasn't worked well in the past....Daddy Tom tried to warn her...Telling her she has a smoker/grille....

by Anonymousreply 12404/23/2021

How many more weeks until the undeserving oriental wins the title of Top Chef?

I wish this stupid show was cancelled already.

It's a fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 12504/23/2021

It’s difficult to keep the oil temperature constant in the wind.

by Anonymousreply 12604/23/2021

Why do you keep harping on this “undeserving Oriental” schtick? Except for Melissa in All Stars LA, the last five winners were white. Before her, three Asians and a black man have won. Everybody else has been white. It’s odd that you focus on this.

by Anonymousreply 12704/23/2021

Because he’s a racist troll.

Marcus Aurelius, Clarice.

by Anonymousreply 12804/23/2021

Why are you still engaging with that troll r127? Please stop.

by Anonymousreply 12904/23/2021

To provoke you is its objective r127. DL is prob its only social outlet, so ignore/block it.

by Anonymousreply 13004/23/2021

I’m sorry about that , r128 and r129. I’ve been here 20 years and the racist trolls have never been this bad.

It’s getting aggravating.

by Anonymousreply 13104/23/2021

Kiki has had a tough couple of episodes, so not surprised at her exit.

R120 yes, Gabe was going to win at least one challenge based on his backstory with his son (or end up in Last Chance Kitchen!)

by Anonymousreply 13204/23/2021

It was obvious Kiki would be going home by the edit leading up to the end. They really shouldn’t make it so obvious.

I sure it’s been asked before, but why do so many chefs have bad tattoos and weird hair?

by Anonymousreply 13304/23/2021

Shota is somehow both adorable and sexy simultaneously. And he has great arms and pits.

by Anonymousreply 13404/24/2021

I was sad to see Kiki go, but glad Avishar is still in it. That boy needs to stay away from rice though.

by Anonymousreply 13504/26/2021

Sure it was gimmicky, but I was entertained. Those cheesy ass Padma intros made me chuckle.

There were a lot of stretches to make the food fit the theme. I mean the winner was some fried chicken as "comedy", sure.

by Anonymousreply 13604/30/2021

Also I am too used to TV editing , because as Jaime never got her backstory segment yet that I remember, I an guessing she will come back via LCK.

by Anonymousreply 13704/30/2021

Last Chance Kitchen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13804/30/2021

I was really hoping Gabriel was going to be eliminated. Cauliflower "tots" with two gross dipping sauces? Ew. And he was really at least partially responsible for Jamie's chicken not being crispy. It was her fault, too, for being a wimp and not following her own instincts. I'd love to see Gabriel go at some point and hopefully not come back via LCK.

*LAST CHANCE KITCHEN SPOILERS*

Jamie goes up against Kiki and it's a chicken challenge. They had to do a Name-That-Tune-esque style bid-off where they picked how many parts of the chicken they'd cook in one dish and how much time they'd have. They land on 5 parts (feet, liver, thighs, oyster, chicken skin) and 25 minutes. Jamie makes a chicken curry and chicken liver pate to go over a toasted baguette you can dip in the curry sauce.. Kiki does fried chicken and actually uses a part (the drumstick) that was not part of the five that were picked. In the end, Tom prefers Jamie's curry and she wins. Tom thinks Jamie did a better job with all five parts. Kiki did fried chicken with a chicken broth where she used most of the parts in the broth. On the plate is just the fried chicken feet and drumstick which were connected as one piece.

For whatever reason, I don't know if it was TV editing or what, the issue of the drumstick not being part of the challenge never comes up despite Tom mentioning she cooked the drumstick and it was connected to the feet. The feet were actually a part. Maybe he considered it all one? I don't know, but I think Kiki should have been called out for cooking a part of the chicken that was not part of the challenge. In the end it did't matter since Jamie won.

Also, next week, whoever wins LCK goes back in to the main competition. It will be Jamie vs. someone for that opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 13904/30/2021

I didn’t get the time auction. What incentive do the cooks have for agreeing to less time?

by Anonymousreply 14004/30/2021

I guess the challenge was you have to use all the selected parts, not only the selected parts.

by Anonymousreply 14104/30/2021

Ego r140.

It worked last time with two guys, funny how the dynamic changed when it was two women and they were like this is stupid.

by Anonymousreply 14204/30/2021

[quote]Also, next week, whoever wins LCK goes back in to the main competition. It will be Jamie vs. someone for that opportunity.

Next week is a double elimination, so it should be Jamie vs. 2 other chefs.

by Anonymousreply 14304/30/2021

Since Gabriel is an ex-chef at Craft, I had a feeling that Colicchio would not let him exit so quickly, as it would reflect badly on him.

But the Yellow team did so poorly in the challenge. Did any of them hear Padma say that they would eating in the car?? No-one (except for Shota?) since they made messy finger-food!

by Anonymousreply 14404/30/2021

Odds after Week 5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14504/30/2021

R145, that was very entertaining to read. I’m still Team Shota despite the dead dog challenge.

by Anonymousreply 14605/01/2021

I’m hoping that was Shota’s one misstep. I’m rooting for him to win, too. Mainly because I think he’s cute and a good chef, but also because it will make the anti-Asian troll’s head explode.

by Anonymousreply 14705/01/2021

So many of the guys have an obvious man crush on Shota lol. Chris, Avishar, now Gabe calling him beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 14805/01/2021

I was really hoping Gabriel would be sent home. I do not like him! This is the second time where he attempted to sabotage a teammate, and this time he succeeded. Dawn was much tougher than Jamie and put her foot down when Gabriel tried to get her to underseason her ribs.

by Anonymousreply 14905/01/2021

I’m not sure he was sabotaging. They were team challenges. I think he’s just inept.

by Anonymousreply 15005/01/2021

Gabriel is going to hang around for awhile , maybe even to the finals. He reminds Tom of himself at an earlier age, the same way Nick Elmi did.

by Anonymousreply 15105/01/2021

I'm really liking this cast. No drama. Everyone is -- for the most part -- getting along.

It was nice to see Maria get some love finally. Her big personality reminds me of a few friends I've known through the years.

by Anonymousreply 15205/03/2021

The thing is Maria had been doing good in the competition. She had never been in the bottom, was just melting down because she was safe.

But I can get it, in that type of environment not getting any judge feedback can fuck with your head.

by Anonymousreply 15305/03/2021

Who is going to win?

by Anonymousreply 15405/03/2021

At the moment I'm guessing Dawn, but my predictions on these things are fairly inept.

by Anonymousreply 15505/03/2021

R154, I would say Gabe, but if I've seen any pattern on this show, it's that usually the frontrunner in the first half of the season sort of fizzles out a little towards the end and ends up as a runner-up. And that there is usually a chef who begins a meteoric rise from the halfway point after starting out mediocre.

by Anonymousreply 15605/03/2021

R153, it sounds like Maria might also be the only self-taught chef this season vs. the others who went to culinary school? That might have played a role re: her feelings as to how she's stacking up.

by Anonymousreply 15705/03/2021

I dunno, r155. I kind of think you're onto something. The edit that she has been getting so far this season makes me think she's a contender, too.

by Anonymousreply 15805/03/2021

If I had to guess, I'd say Shota, Sarah, Dawn will be in the finals.

by Anonymousreply 15905/03/2021

I like Dawn...she had some balls to make POPCORN, and apparently it was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 16005/03/2021

R160, yeah, I thought Tom would blow a gasket from someone 'cooking' popcorn, but it sounds like Dawn's popcorn was an experience.

by Anonymousreply 16105/05/2021

I have not been a Gabriel fan, but he did get screwed this episode. His venison was cooked perfectly, Nelson fucked up the fish and caused them both to get eliminated. Not the first time Top Chef has done this, but I always consider it unfair when people get eliminated for other people's mistakes.

by Anonymousreply 16205/06/2021

Apparently Gabe some scandals going on apparently. After coming back from filming this show he was fired from his restaurant for "for behavior in conflict with our values". I wonder if he is going to end up getting MeToo'ed.

He seems like such a nice guy on the show too, but you never know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16305/06/2021

I have a feeling Gabriel will be back. I loathe him but it does suck that he went home for someone else’s bad dish.

by Anonymousreply 16405/06/2021

Did the chinaman win again tonight?

One step closer to being Top Oriental Chef!

by Anonymousreply 16505/06/2021

With all of Gabriel’s backstory and photos we saw leading up to the challenge, it was obvious he was going home.

by Anonymousreply 16605/06/2021

They showed the chefs’ reactions when the Last Chance winner returned. They were too happy for it to be Gabriel.

by Anonymousreply 16705/06/2021

R167. Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 16805/07/2021

Same, as soon as the preview showed how happy the contestants were I knew Gabriel was not the returning chef. Just watched LCK, and correct he did not win.

by Anonymousreply 16905/07/2021

R167, R168, and R169, I totally agree. Moreover, it was the women contestants who were really excited and jumping up and down in the preview in a girl power kind of way, which told me Jamie was going to be the winner of LCK, and indeed Jamie won.

I do think Gabriel will be back, but I hope he won't. He seems whiny and annoying, but as much as I personally dislike him he's more talented than some who remain.

BTW, it was obvious Nelson was going to skip LCK, too, when they kept harkening back to his injury in the fruit challenge. I knew he was going to drop out. It was too telegraphed.

by Anonymousreply 17005/07/2021

Sorry to see Gabe go, he was the hottest one this season

by Anonymousreply 17105/07/2021

R171 I would go with Byron for that honor.

by Anonymousreply 17205/07/2021

Byron has a handsome face but he has an odd shape, like an eggplant

by Anonymousreply 17305/07/2021

R173 Didn't notice that. Nice arms, though.

by Anonymousreply 17405/07/2021

I didn’t notice it until the drive in episode. There’s a scene of him in profile and it’s noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 17505/07/2021

Gabriel seems like a creep, but maybe could be nice?

Gabe seems nice, but apparently he's a creep?

One too many bearded Gabe/Gabriels this season!

Shota for the win!!!

by Anonymousreply 17605/07/2021

LCK Part One.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17705/07/2021

LCK Part two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17805/07/2021

I don’t understand how Nelson’s dropping out of LCK resulted in two openings to go back to the show instead of one. (Tom’s explanation, not mine.). Were two of the three contestants in the last LCK going back? Did they feel guilty about the team elimination?

by Anonymousreply 17905/07/2021

How they keep "Smugma", I mean Padma, on is beyond me!

by Anonymousreply 18005/07/2021

So happy Gabriel’s gone! Bye, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 18105/07/2021

They will keep devising new rules until Gabriel is brought back.

by Anonymousreply 18205/07/2021

Shota needs to get his shirt off, that’s all I’m saying. I want to see his tight little body.

by Anonymousreply 18305/07/2021

Gabriel pings as gay to me. Anyone get that idea?

by Anonymousreply 18405/07/2021

Me too, R184 . Gabriel seems like a slightly more masculine Tim Tebow.

by Anonymousreply 185Last Saturday at 12:27 AM

Current " Power Rankings."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186Last Saturday at 3:02 AM

I remember Shota from when he beat Bobby Flay on Food network three years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187Last Saturday at 3:08 AM

Gabriel pings for me, too, R184. Sometimes when he gets worked up in his confessionals, the gay voice comes through more strongly. But I live in Portland, and I have to say I've met plenty of straight (identifying, at least) boys with similar douchey/high strung mannerisms.

by Anonymousreply 188Last Sunday at 5:36 PM

What a boring season!!

by Anonymousreply 189Last Sunday at 5:45 PM

I think this has been a terrific season.

by Anonymousreply 190Last Sunday at 5:46 PM

Thank God there is no one like fat Heather - the worst person to ever appear on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191Last Sunday at 10:28 PM

Texas was by far the worst season of Top Chef, featuring the fat bullies, Heather and Sarah - with their ally Lindsay. The only thing that saved the season was seeing fat Sarah cry after she lost in the finale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192Last Sunday at 10:45 PM

I am very pleased with this season thus far. No drama and everyone seems supportive of each other. Even with Gabriel (who is supposedly 'the villain'), you had Maria tearing up and saying she loves him.

This show used to have crazy drama and fights, as you can see at R191. I actually don't miss that aspect at all.

Sasha coming back was a surprise -- I didn't see that one coming!

by Anonymousreply 193Last Sunday at 10:52 PM

I’m glad Sasha is back. People are questioning Gabe being gay? He pings from a million miles away.

by Anonymousreply 194Last Monday at 9:32 AM

Gabriel's instagram shows he has a girlfriend r194. He is supposedly straight.

by Anonymousreply 195Last Monday at 9:35 AM

R195, I think R194 is referring to Gabe, the Mexican food master.

by Anonymousreply 196Last Monday at 9:40 AM

Well people were talking about Gabriel pinging so I think r194 just accidentally called him Gabe. An easy mistake to make.

Gabe (mexican) does not ping to me and is married with kids. As I mentioned earlier he also has some MeToo allegations brewing.

by Anonymousreply 197Last Monday at 9:44 AM

Also Sasha isn't back yet right? Unless I missed something she is just the new reigning champ of LCK, so she has a chance to come back in the future if she keeps winning.

by Anonymousreply 198Last Monday at 9:47 AM

R198, you are correct. I thought Sasha was going back directly into the competition, but it appears she will continue to compete on LCK. The other four are out for good.

by Anonymousreply 199Last Monday at 10:08 AM

How are they doing restaurant wars this season.

To be honest I don’t pay very close attention until this point , when they get down to 10 people or so. Otherwise they blend together. This year was particularly bad because you had two beefy guys with beards named Gabe/Gabriel.

by Anonymousreply 200Last Monday at 10:10 AM

R200, Restaurant Wars usually happens when there are 8 chefs remaining, and this next week with Jamie coming back in, they'll be at 9 again. So I assume it's happening not this week, but the next.

by Anonymousreply 201Last Monday at 10:13 AM

I mean how are they going to do it, I can’t imagine they filmed a bunch of people indoor dining, and having it outside seems challenging since it’s rainy Portland.

by Anonymousreply 202Last Monday at 10:14 AM

R202, good question. A big part of RW is watching them shop for decor, and this season, they haven't even been allowed to shop inside Whole Foods. It'll be interesting to see..

by Anonymousreply 203Last Monday at 10:21 AM

[quote]Gabriel's instagram shows he has a girlfriend [R194]. He is supposedly straight.

I checked his alleged girlfriend's Instagram (@devinmarie86) but there doesn't seem to be any picture of Gabriel. I guess they broke up because the pics he has with her are pretty old

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204Last Monday at 10:21 AM

They had a decent number of people eating indoors for the African challenge, the only time they have done that so far. Still it was fewer people than a restaurant wars.

I expect we will either be getting a smaller number of patrons than normal restaurant wars, or they will just embrace outdoor dining for it. We will see.

by Anonymousreply 205Last Monday at 10:29 AM

Maybe all of the guest panelists will comprise the diners. I will miss Dana Cowin uttering, "Hello, chefs."

by Anonymousreply 206Last Monday at 11:39 AM

To those asking about how they'll do Restaurant Wars: on Top Chef Canada, they turned it into "Takeout Wars."

Same basic concept -- teams figure out a name, theme, menu, etc. -- but it's outdoor-access takeout stations instead of a sit-down dining experience.

by Anonymousreply 207Last Wednesday at 4:04 AM

Well we got our Restaurant Wars answer in the preview for next week. Not even attempting to have customers, just serving the cast of alumni/ judges.

by Anonymousreply 20820 hours ago

Hah!

by Anonymousreply 20910 hours ago

LCK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21010 hours ago
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!