Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andre Leon Talley fights eviction

Thrown out on the street by a lifelong friend during a pandemic! Quelle horreur!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536April 30, 2022 1:24 PM

Oh, my God. I hate to think of Andre living under a tent somewhere ... oh, wait.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2021 12:46 AM

sounds very very messy. who would enter such an agreement. stupid on both sides.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2021 12:48 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2021 12:49 AM

Who paid taxes? Who paid utilities?

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2021 12:55 AM

Andre is a fool.

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2021 12:57 AM

Sharecropper to sharecropper in 3 generations.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2021 1:01 AM

Never, ever engage in a business transaction with a close friend. Especially when there is no written contract, but just a tacit “understanding”. When the shit hits the fan, you realise quickly that money always prevails over friendship, no matter how close and long-standing it is. This always ends in tears.

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 1:01 AM

I'm so glad I'm frugal and squirrel away money. So sad to be his age and in that kind of dispute.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 1:02 AM

Tldr, according to the article who was in the wrong?

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 1:02 AM

r9 both parties seem to have been idiots.

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 1:03 AM

The landlord is fabulous. And wants his damn rent money!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 1:05 AM

It's still madness that he's ended up broke and without a job. He must have had some serious emotional issues that made him spend like crazy, buy rent boys, and live like a Queen of NYC.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2021 1:06 AM

It’s an ongoing legal case, so no one’s right or wrong yet. My thinking is Talley is in the right; the friend filed for bankruptcy and wants to raise cash by selling a property Talley has already, over time, purchased from him (even though the title was not formally transferred.)

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2021 1:06 AM

[quote]Talley also alleges in the lawsuit he has personally spent over $200,000 to maintain the home, including replacing the roof and the boiler ad had the windows and shutters replaced, spending at least $200,000 on improvements.

So, it is $200,000 or $400,000?

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2021 1:07 AM

^^ In response to

[wuote]r9 Tldr, according to the article who was in the wrong?

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2021 1:07 AM

I am sorry to hear all this- I’ve read his books. He’s had quite a life. His bios are very interesting and his honesty about his extraordinary life (not like being black greased the career trajectory) and battles with his weight and intimacy issues. He come ms across as a brilliant iconoclast who beat all odds by force of intelligence and personality- much of it at a huge cost to his sanity. Nowhere in his bios does he portray himself as a victim.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 1:08 AM

I hope he's not like Roxanne Gaye- EXHAUSTED ALL the time.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 1:11 AM

I hope a parade of rentboys are called as collateral witnesses to describe the what they saw and what they did in Andre's house! I would laugh my ass off if it turns out Andre was a big fat TOP and all the rentboys were bubble butted bottoms........ Quelle whatever.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 1:11 AM

My last two houses were bought for me from guys I dated. And I am not a twink but over 50. I also didn't buy my last car. Could this be one of those situations? What kind of friend charges rent?

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2021 1:11 AM

That’s pretty shitty I feel for anyone going through this.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2021 1:13 AM

R16- Yes he's had QUITE A LIFE- buying things he did NOT need and could NOT afford like a $45,000 car in 1999. In 1999 one could buy a brand new Honda Accord for only $19,000. Why did he need to spend THAT much on a car?

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2021 1:16 AM

That’s just wrong to do to someone unless they’re hurt children or animals.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2021 1:17 AM

He's so piss-elegant his snack purse is a Birkin.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2021 1:20 AM

Time to downsize, person and property.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2021 1:25 AM

You think he is the only one whose money is all kinds of fucked up after a year in quarantine?

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 1:27 AM

R11- You can tell that QUEEN is gay from OUTER SPACE.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 1:29 AM

Agree r7.

This entire set up was lunacy. I would never get into this type of financial arrangement with a friend, so often it will end in tears.

I am sure they did tell Andre he could have the house, but the fact is on paper it is their house and he should NOT rely on someone's word. You can't trust people with your life that much.

You have to look out for yourself and you can only count on things that are actually in your name, not other people's goodwill.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 1:34 AM

For someone who worked for Vogue, Talley sure has alot of credit "issues". Where did the money go? Also why not go to good friend Anna Wintours house and sleep on her couch until this whole thing is worked out?

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 1:34 AM

The landlord owns a restaurant and a dairy farm, etc etc. Good luck to Talley trying to convince a judge the RICH home owner wants to sell the house for a quick buck. Talley better find a shelter that will take him in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 1:38 AM

[quote] Why did he need to spend THAT much on a car?

Retrofitting a car to move the driver's seat back 3 feet so he could fit his fat ass behind the wheel is quite expensive.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2021 1:40 AM

Bing bang bong

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2021 1:43 AM

Boy, this is like every other case on Judge Judy. It rarely ends well for the "verbal contract holder" versus legal documents showing ownership.

"He said the car was mine because I gave him the money, but he never signed the title over to me... No, I don't have any emails or text messages memorializing the verbal agreement..."

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2021 1:46 AM

If you live in New York City why do you need a car? Just call a car service!

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2021 1:48 AM

Talley was gay but mostly chaste. All in his books. He’s quite poignant and sad when speaking of his sex life, or lack there of and difficulty with intimacy. Also when he was thin early in his career all the sexual innuendo he received when he would befriend a designer (liked for his big black dick). He did not use or hire hookers- hardly.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2021 1:53 AM

Always get the house in your name. The only reason you wouldn't is if you had garnishments or liens---which sounds like a possibility here. All I pay on my house is taxes. My ex bought if for me. I bet Anna Wintour is avoiding Talleys call right now.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2021 2:00 AM

He won't be calling Wintour, they had a falling out.

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2021 2:03 AM

R36 Homelessness has a way of smoothing over hurt feelings. Anna better hang on to her checkbook.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2021 2:09 AM

I hear Big and Beautiful Magazine needs an editor.

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2021 2:09 AM

Sad, final days.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2021 2:13 AM

OP, post the story. Not a single person on this site wants to go to the NY Post

Failure

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2021 2:30 AM

[quote] If you live in New York City why do you need a car?

White Plains is 35 miles from NYC.

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2021 2:32 AM

White Plains is 25 miles from NYC.

by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2021 2:33 AM

Reading between the lines I think ALT is full of shit and is making the whole "once I paid them back the house was mine" thing up. He's undoubtedly made a lot of money in his career yet he refuses to pay his damn bills on time and has shitty credit? That says volumes. Sorry chubs, you ain't got no written agreement it ain't so. Pack ya big ol' tent dresses and hit the road Toots.

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote] White Plains is 25 miles from NYC.

WRONG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2021 2:52 AM

All this tsuris for White Plains, someone above mentioned taxes. If Talley has proof he paid the taxes, well case closed.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2021 3:16 AM

People will argue about anything. Manhattan is 13 miles long r44. The distance to White Plains just depends on where you decide to start counting.

by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2021 3:21 AM

Chile....does Andre get a disability check?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2021 4:53 AM

If he can prove he put the 120k down payment that he says he did, he is at least a partial owner.

Didn't all the editors at Conde used to get an interest-free loan from the company to buy a fabulous house?

And the car wasn't 47k. If he had the 47k in cash, which he said he did, his credit issues would have been irrelevant. It was probably some ridiculous car--and the 47 was the required cash portion (in addition to financing).

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2021 4:56 AM

I don't buy it. And i don't think he did, either. He's always been a pretentious twat, so I'm sure he would tell everyone it was his, when he was just renting. This will be interesting reading, though, for the next few months.

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2021 4:56 AM

Andre should move in with Wendy Williams! They are both a MESS. I can see them getting old together, rolling around NYC in their mobility scooters, running over people they dont like.

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2021 4:57 AM

This is Anna's revenge for what he said about her in his recent autobiography.

George Malkemus is very close to Anna and supplied the lifetime's worth of those strappy beige Manolo heels she constantly wears.

She probably made an offhand (but very intentional) comment to George implying it would be a good idea to turf Andre out. I'm certain of it.

"If you've ever wondered what shoe Anna is wearing at all time, allow Andre to explain. "Now, I can say with all authority, Anna's had a lifetime of Manolo Blahnik custom- ordered footwear given to her by our mutual friends, Manolo Blahnik and George Malkemus III," he writes. "Manolo Blahnik holds back nothing for Anna Wintour. In turn, Anna Wintour has not worn any other shoe but Manolo Blahnik— except for little Chanel ballerinas on the weekends— since 1989. I would meet Manolo and tell him what colors and styles Anna wanted, then he would create eight or nine versions for her to choose from."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2021 5:16 AM

[quote]But, “Because this promise was not reduced to writing, Talley has no adequate remedy at law.”

Apparently ALT is yet another one who has never watched Judge Judy!

Something about him indicates profligacy with money. How can a grown man who's worked his whole life including for a big publishing corporation have bad credit and no savings? He made "periodic payments"? Why does that sound like "was always scrambling not to get evicted" to me?

by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2021 5:17 AM

People in the arts, however liberally you want to define arts, are usually terrible with money and tend to believe people because there is so much fantasy involved in their lives.

by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2021 5:24 AM

[quote] If he can prove he put the 120k down payment that he says he did, he is at least a partial owner.

If his name is not on the title, then he is not part owner.

Sounds like he had insufficient credit & could not get a mortgage loan for that amount. What he should have done is have the friend co-sign a loan with him. Both names on the title, both names on the mortgage loan. Still messy, but it's better than his current situation.

by Anonymousreply 54February 22, 2021 5:28 AM

Perhaps he was Jules from St. Elmo’s Fire or Mozart from that Mozart movie

by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2021 5:34 AM

Introduction To Law 101:

Oral agreements are not worth the paper they're printed upon.....

by Anonymousreply 56February 22, 2021 6:17 AM

I think R51 is on to something. The memoir was published in May, and he was being told to pack up in October.

by Anonymousreply 57February 22, 2021 6:19 AM

His income from Conde/Vogue was something like 250k. He wouldn't have qualified for a 900k loan--plus, he also had a place in the city. And the ridiculous clothes and car. The "periodic payments" is a problem.

It sounds like his friends used to be rich and generous (to have agreed to buy him a house and let him pay "whenever"), but have become poors.

by Anonymousreply 58February 22, 2021 6:34 AM

And, if they are going through a bankruptcy, creditors don’t care about informal agreements on assets.

by Anonymousreply 59February 22, 2021 6:39 AM

What was he/she/they wearing?

by Anonymousreply 60February 22, 2021 6:42 AM

The probably lent him the money because they wanted coverage for their shoe company in Vogue. When one page in Vogue costs like 200k, they could get endless non-paid coverage and their money back, if one of the editors was beholden to them.

by Anonymousreply 61February 22, 2021 6:49 AM

I imagine this was friends pulling some scheme to avoid paying taxes or something. But, like marriage or employment at VOGUE, friendship doesn't last forever.

by Anonymousreply 62February 22, 2021 7:47 AM

The condition of that home might be an issue. His history of senseless consumption and obsessive focus on material things are markers for hoarding, probably exacerbated by the loss of stature and support of influential friends. A very sad, embarrassing situation.

by Anonymousreply 63February 22, 2021 10:31 AM

I think ALT & that silly queen Dwight Eubanks (formerly of Real Housewhores Of Atlanta fame) who hasn't been seen for years, are made from the same cloth. Like ALT, Eubanks was once claiming he owned the home he lived in. Atlanta Magazine did an article on his home with lots of photos. It was indeed a lovely place full of all his collections. Fast forward a couple of years and the report comes out in the Atlanta Journal that all his belongings had been removed from the house and set on the sidewalk by the eviction processors. Just couldn't find it possible to keep his rent paid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64February 22, 2021 10:31 AM

Damn, who is that creature at 64? That scared me.

by Anonymousreply 65February 22, 2021 10:41 AM

Sadly, you can drag out an eviction for a pretty long time. I worked at a property management company. Poor people can drag it out 4 to 6 months. But in this case, with lawyers involved he might get it dragged out longer with the counter suit. When a tenant is evicted there are two issues : Back Rent and Eviction. Most landlords will forego the back rent part of their claim so they can get a faster eviction. If ALT has zero proof of his claims he will be gone by fall. If ALT has proof he was paying repairs on the property he can offset that amount of rent but he would have to proof he provided it in writing to the landlord--every lease says repair requests have to be in writing. In this case ALT is claiming to actually own the house---if he never paid taxes on the house, he isn't going to sway a judge of ownership.. ....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 22, 2021 10:55 AM

R65 It must be bad. The posting doesn’t even appear on my screen. Possibly removed by a moderator.

by Anonymousreply 67February 22, 2021 10:56 AM

Has anybody confirmed that Andre Leon Talley and Roxanne Gay are not the same person?

by Anonymousreply 68February 22, 2021 11:00 AM

Separately the NY Post’s coverage of his situation is unusually harsh for a media outlet which was granted exclusivity of the story. You wonder which side of the dispute has granted access here.

by Anonymousreply 69February 22, 2021 11:06 AM

r67, it's someone you blocked. I can see it, it's not bad.

by Anonymousreply 70February 22, 2021 11:14 AM

"The papers allege that in 1999, Talley needed to buy a new car but was unable to do so because of “issues with his credit.” Malkemus allegedly offered to buy the car on his behalf using $45,000 in funds provided by Talley."

I assume ALT was making good money but had debt he wasn't repaying. Spending $45,000 of his own money on a car would have demonstrated decent cash flow, which he did not want to do. So he pretends that his friend bought a car for him.

Or maybe it's all BS.

by Anonymousreply 71February 22, 2021 11:16 AM

Hot squatter video.1:57...The good news is he lives in a mansion. The bad news is he (allegedly) isn't paying rent. I know how he can earn some money...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 22, 2021 11:25 AM

He should use one of those tents he wears as a tent.

by Anonymousreply 73February 22, 2021 11:25 AM

The COVID-19 pandemic led to a moratorium on evictions in NY. If the owners have struggled to pay the mortgage on the home without rental income, they may be trying to recover at least a portion of their initial investment through a short sale. Both parties might be under financial duress, and the Bank might call the note and initiate foreclosure proceedings on the property if they have the right to do that. Poor ALT might not have the cash at hand to settle $500k in debt, and even if he did, he could still end up with nothing if the home is legally the property of the plaintiff. Taxes (nearly $30k per year) would be billed to the home’s owner, not the tenant. The absence of a lease and the presence of a title both leave ALT in a tough spot. It sounds really stressful and sad.

by Anonymousreply 74February 22, 2021 11:25 AM

R65 why are you asking who that creature is? Did you not read the R64 post where it plainly states who he is?

by Anonymousreply 75February 22, 2021 11:26 AM

Maybe that pathetic cunt should have paid them off before he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars improving what wasn't his yet.

stoopid

by Anonymousreply 76February 22, 2021 11:37 AM

R74 = The owners are a rich gay couple. They own a dairy farm and restaurant and were fancy shoe designers. Only ATL is talking about them wanting to sell the house. If you look up the owners they clearly are not strapped for cash .

by Anonymousreply 77February 22, 2021 11:45 AM

[quote]Vogue legend André Leon Talley is being dragged out of his $1 million New York home

Yeah, good luck with that. If ALT is set on staying, they'll need one of these to get him out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 22, 2021 11:47 AM

I'm telling you.. THIS is Anna's revenge.

by Anonymousreply 79February 22, 2021 11:58 AM

So the Devil wears (free) Blahnik?

by Anonymousreply 80February 22, 2021 12:05 PM

Can he move in with Sarah Jessica?

by Anonymousreply 81February 22, 2021 12:14 PM

I’m just shocked that there is any property worth that much in White Plains.

I guess this is why having having good credit is so important. Had Talley had decent credit (the article doesn’t say why he doesn’t), he wouldn’t need an intermediary to buy his cars and home.

by Anonymousreply 82February 22, 2021 12:26 PM

Regarding the photo at R51, for all her desperation to be regarded as elegant, Wintour has classic white trash/chav face, and her wigs are hideous.

by Anonymousreply 83February 22, 2021 12:34 PM

R53 Wasn’t Talley in the business world though? He worked for a magazine, and publishing is all about selling your product. Part of his job would have been to ensure sales, so surely money was discussed.

Even if he isn’t good at or interested in managing his money (as some aren’t), someone in his position would hire a financial advisor. Didn’t he have any colleagues/friends encouraging him to do this?

by Anonymousreply 84February 22, 2021 12:39 PM

It’s sad that although he has the far better claim, he’ll likely be be evicted long before grifter Kate Gladstone. He should’ve acquired a child to use as a weapon, as she did.

by Anonymousreply 85February 22, 2021 12:46 PM

R72- PLEASE, let me have the honor of conducting a FULL CAVITY strip search on this HUNK after he's evicted and arrested.

by Anonymousreply 86February 22, 2021 12:57 PM

Andre Leon Talley sounds like a TYPICAL DL Queen. He's OLD,OVERWEIGHT,PRETENTIOUS and ALWAYS wears a CAFTAN.

by Anonymousreply 87February 22, 2021 12:59 PM

[quote] Had Talley had decent credit (the article doesn’t say why he doesn’t)

The same reason 99% of people with bad credit are in that position. He wouldn't/couldn't pay his bills on time.

by Anonymousreply 88February 22, 2021 1:19 PM

On what planet is that house at the R72 video a mansion?

by Anonymousreply 89February 22, 2021 1:24 PM

R88 I assume that most people with bad credit aren’t making $250,000.00/yr, though...

by Anonymousreply 90February 22, 2021 1:28 PM

[quote] [R53] Wasn’t Talley in the business world though? He worked for a magazine, and publishing is all about selling your product. Part of his job would have been to ensure sales, so surely money was discussed.

There is a difference between work and your private life. I've seen plenty of doctors, cleaning ladies, or bankers who were a hot mess in private who couldn't provide the service for themselves they do at work for others. (doctors and their private unhealthy habits, cleaning ladies having messy homes, bankers not able to manage their own money).

by Anonymousreply 91February 22, 2021 1:34 PM

Only one solution now, Andre has to call Sister Tyler Perry for a love offering. TP is generous when he sees people in the business who have fallen off.

Im kinda surprised sister Andre doesnt have a credit repair stunt queen to finesse him a nice little place!

by Anonymousreply 92February 22, 2021 1:47 PM

Maybe he can use one of the tents he wears as a tent.

by Anonymousreply 93February 22, 2021 1:52 PM

I have met him twice, he could not be a nicer person. He's one of those people that make you feel like the most important person in the world. Sad that his life has come to this. Read his books, you'll see the real person.

by Anonymousreply 94February 22, 2021 1:59 PM

I pray to Cher they get Michael-Leon Wooley to play him in the movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 22, 2021 2:02 PM

Everybody making the tent jokes, that was literally the first reply.

by Anonymousreply 96February 22, 2021 2:05 PM

[quote]Andre should move in with Wendy Williams! They are both a MESS. I can see them getting old together, rolling around NYC in their mobility scooters, running over people they dont like.

They could share Mumus

[quote] This is Anna's revenge for what he said about her in his recent autobiography. George Malkemus is very close to Anna and supplied the lifetime's worth of those strappy beige Manolo heels she constantly wears. She probably made an offhand (but very intentional) comment to George implying it would be a good idea to turf Andre out. I'm certain of it.

Why she's a regular god damn Martha Harti.

by Anonymousreply 97February 22, 2021 2:30 PM

Is it even possible to evict someone that large?

by Anonymousreply 98February 22, 2021 2:31 PM

Told you I was hardcore.

by Anonymousreply 99February 22, 2021 2:35 PM

[quote] Oh, my God. I hate to think of Andre living under a tent somewhere ... oh, wait.

Oh snap, that is a good one, that’s funny

by Anonymousreply 100February 22, 2021 2:46 PM

[quote] It's still madness that he's ended up broke and without a job. He must have had some serious emotional issues that made him spend like crazy, buy rent boys, and live like a Queen of NYC.

You mean rent boys would actually knowingly tap that? Do they get hazard pay?

by Anonymousreply 101February 22, 2021 2:49 PM

I read one of ALT’s bios and he had a lot of complicated friendships with rich/eccentric people who would give him expensive things and let him stay with them in fabulous European homes, and then one day would be done with him.

George Malkemus may be rich, but he’s no longer running the Blahnik empire and he’s being sued by his old company for close to $1M. His need for ALT is gone and he needs some cash for that lawsuit.

by Anonymousreply 102February 22, 2021 2:52 PM

Maybe he [italic]can't[/italic] leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 103February 22, 2021 3:04 PM

You'd think someone who was Warhol'd (2nd) Factory receptionist, and has been employed in fashion for 45 years, would have banked a little coin.

Maybe the Kardashians will help him out, as he helped legitimize them with his lavish Vogue articles.

by Anonymousreply 104February 22, 2021 3:08 PM

Brilliant R1. Best of Datalounge! This is why I come here.

by Anonymousreply 105February 22, 2021 3:10 PM

Does he live alone? I would be so uncomfortable living alone in a large house. I grew up in one but we were a big family and my grandmother even lived there.

by Anonymousreply 106February 22, 2021 3:21 PM

I don't understand how someone who earned significant money for at least a decade (if not longer) didn't put away money to purchase a place to live.

by Anonymousreply 107February 22, 2021 3:30 PM

Isn't it a major conflict of interest that he entered into a financial agreement like this with a designer while working at Vogue? It would be like the government buying a house for a reporter.

by Anonymousreply 108February 22, 2021 3:32 PM

For some reason this sounds like a Black Jeopardy answer under the category:

"Wha' Ha' Happen' Was"

by Anonymousreply 109February 22, 2021 3:38 PM

"Then in 2004, Talley was renting a home that developed a mold problem and he needed to find a new place near New York. “At the time, Talley’s work schedule was particularly demanding and he could not obtain traditional financing,” the lawsuit claims."

I'm not sure how a busy work schedule could negatively impact creditworthiness, in fact one might assume the opposite would be true, but I suspect ALT's obvious lack of impulse control led both to his swollen stomach and empty bank account. Maybe the White Plains school district needs a student counselor à la RuPaul in the Brady Bunch movies?

by Anonymousreply 110February 22, 2021 3:46 PM

A lot of Andre’s job was puffery and exaggerated reality. I agree he likely had an expense account and had things given freely to him- and didn’t really have to think about money.

The other half of this is upbringing and the way your parents (or partner) teach the diligence behind how to handle, save and spend money. You can’t do this if you’re expensing everything to Vogue to pay.

Also, media has been downsizing for decades. I doubt he was bringing $210K home a year and today’s editors and interns come from wealth and are willing to work for much less just to have a prestigious job.

by Anonymousreply 111February 22, 2021 3:51 PM

R111- PUFFERY-LOL.

True

by Anonymousreply 112February 22, 2021 3:54 PM

They'll need a forklift to evict him.

by Anonymousreply 113February 22, 2021 4:05 PM

R87---Quite the zinger! Ouch!

R109---STFU, racist fuckwit.

by Anonymousreply 114February 22, 2021 4:29 PM

$250,000 per year doesn't sound like that much money. He probably felt compelled to keep up with the lifestyle that was all around him. Thus, he blew through his salary quickly. $45,000 doesn't seem like a crazy amount for a car. But in his world, you don't buy a $45K car and drive it for 10-20 years. You trade it in in 2 years. It's never-ending.

I hate to generalize, but I think successful black people feel like they have to help (financially) their family and friends who are less fortunate. He probably gave / lent a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 115February 22, 2021 4:57 PM

If he isn't on the deed he owns shit....Now, how easy was that?

by Anonymousreply 116February 22, 2021 5:10 PM

ALT could ask a court for an equitable remedy (outside of contract). I'm forgetting the terms, but "unjust enrichment" and possibly "quantum meruit" come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 117February 22, 2021 5:18 PM

The article refers to a "never operative lease agreement". I am guessing that Manolo guys and ALT did sign a lease agreement, which was intended to be a disguised real estate purchase agreement. ALT could show creditors that he was not buying an asset - just paying rent! But secretly, ALT and the Manolos would treat it as a purchase agreement. Then, the Manolo guys run into problems, and the "never operative" lease agreement becomes operative.

by Anonymousreply 118February 22, 2021 5:25 PM

R82, a million dollar home doesn’t sound all that fancy. My Boston condo is worth more.

by Anonymousreply 119February 22, 2021 5:27 PM

The article makes him sound super naive. It's a miracle a gullible person like that managed to survive in the cut-throat fashion biz for so long.

by Anonymousreply 120February 22, 2021 5:30 PM

He had paid $200k for upkeep of a house with a title that’s not in his name? Not even written agreement stipulating the “gentlemen’s agreement “ in the absence of title in his name? One wonders if the money he claimed to have spent in upkeep was supposed to offset annual property tax. I hope for his sake he kept a paper trail of receipts and emails/ texts since there’s no written agreement.

by Anonymousreply 121February 22, 2021 8:00 PM

Him claiming he had a "gentlemen's agreement" is so sad. I have heard that he's actually a very kind and polite man. I think he was / is out of his depth, business-wise.

by Anonymousreply 122February 22, 2021 8:05 PM

Send it to Judge Judy. She’ll get to the bottom of it in 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 123February 22, 2021 8:09 PM

[quote][R109]---STFU, racist fuckwit.

That's an actual SNL recurring skit led (and probably written by) Keenan Thompson, moron. Stop virtue signalling,.

by Anonymousreply 124February 22, 2021 8:13 PM

R82 I don’t think you know White Plains or the real estate market as well as you think you do. $1 million will get you a nice house but not anything that could conceivably be called a mansion. $1 million will barely get you a Cape over on Spaghetti Hill.

by Anonymousreply 125February 22, 2021 8:20 PM

He can live in an apartment like the rest of us do. I don’t know why he feels entitled to live in that mansion he doesn’t own.

by Anonymousreply 126February 22, 2021 8:33 PM

250 grand a year? For such a high profile job in NY? What kind of multi-million perks did the job entail?

by Anonymousreply 127February 22, 2021 8:38 PM

Have you seen his wardrobe? He has expensive tastes - even if he gets a huge discount, they add up. He lived beyond his means for a long time and now when he’s practically jobless, he’s in serious trouble. I’m a fan of his so this is sad.

by Anonymousreply 128February 22, 2021 9:02 PM

He needs a sugar daddy.

by Anonymousreply 129February 22, 2021 9:18 PM

"What kind of multi-million perks did the job entail?"

The finest, the most billowy caftans on the face of the planet.

by Anonymousreply 130February 22, 2021 9:22 PM

This is the most "data lounge" story, ever. You can't make it up.

by Anonymousreply 131February 22, 2021 9:24 PM

So, how many bolts of fabric does it take to make one of his getup's? Are there any mechanical assistant devices built inside to help support the 10lbs of pounds of material ? Could it be that Ms. Talley just 'floats' along keeping the fabric (and herself) in constant motion to give the impression of lightness and weightlessness? If she's in dire financial straits I'm sure there's a way to repurpose some of his moving sculpture to help cover some of the bills.

by Anonymousreply 132February 22, 2021 9:26 PM

[quote] Have you seen his wardrobe?

R128, I know you weren't trying to be funny, but I think this is part of the problem. Him wearing these caftans / graduation gowns / whatever, 24/7, says (IMO) that he has given up on life. I don't care if that caftan is made of silk. He needs to wake up & smell the coffee, get his life and finances in order.

by Anonymousreply 133February 22, 2021 9:30 PM

[quote]What kind of multi-million perks did the job entail?

The tiny little flats were gifts. The steel reinforcements that kept them from bursting came out of his own pocket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134February 22, 2021 9:41 PM

Are Data Loungers so tight with their coins that no one has yet launched a Friends of Data Lounge for the Legal & Housing Needs of ALT?

He does somehow manage to be both a ridiculous hot mess and oddly endearing.

by Anonymousreply 135February 22, 2021 10:02 PM

I don’t get the fallout with Wintour. I remember a documentary that showed Talley playing tennis because Wintour told him he needed to exercise!

by Anonymousreply 136February 22, 2021 10:55 PM

Here's the background on the rift. There will be no reconciliation betw. ALT & Wintour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 22, 2021 10:58 PM

^. I think him getting fat played a big part.

by Anonymousreply 138February 22, 2021 11:13 PM

He can always hightail it up to “small town Hudson” and bunk with palsy-Walsy Kevin Sessums. They can open up a tasteful olive oil cake stand

by Anonymousreply 139February 22, 2021 11:28 PM

This actually is not that rare. A lot of these fashionistas--even ones who start out as fairly affluent (like Izzy Blow)--go broke trying to live that lifestyle.

He's a hanger-on of the rich. Much like Grace Mirabella found out when she was fired from Vogue, the minute you don't have the job and can't offer the rich access anymore, you are personally worthless--and they drop you FAST and HARD.

He was crazy to live in such an irresponsible way that--as an adult who was sort of famous--he couldn't even buy a car in cash or a house under his own name. Presumably, he was afraid his creditors would seize the car.

His house of cards, like those of many other seemingly rich people who become broke suddenly, is on the ebb.

by Anonymousreply 140February 22, 2021 11:35 PM

He looks like Uncle Remus's gay brother.

by Anonymousreply 141February 22, 2021 11:36 PM

I find it all very sad. He's 72, broke, probably losing his house. I hope he's been paying his income taxes. Will he even have social security? I don't know how anyone starts over at that age.

by Anonymousreply 142February 22, 2021 11:47 PM

Photo at R134 reminds me, didn't he show up drunk at one of those Met Galas?

by Anonymousreply 143February 23, 2021 1:44 AM

He bought his grandma's house in North Carolina, the documentary showed it was tasteful and he could move around easily in his billowing caftans. At least he has a place to go to. The doc also showed the White Plains is filled with his stuff. Hoarder with credit problems.

by Anonymousreply 144February 23, 2021 3:07 AM

He can stay in my closet..

by Anonymousreply 145February 23, 2021 3:09 AM

He’s fighting eviction but lost the fight with obesity. Damn Diabetes Poster Child.

by Anonymousreply 146February 23, 2021 3:31 AM

[quote]He needs to wake up & smell the coffee.

He did. And flapjacks, eggs, home fries, caviar, bacon, sausage and ham.

by Anonymousreply 147February 23, 2021 4:02 AM

The worst evening of my life was spent at a dinner party where he was also a guest. RUDE, disgusting, and had the table manners of a goat. HORRIFIC halitosis also. Mean spirited.

by Anonymousreply 148February 23, 2021 4:23 AM

I've always imagined that he would be another Margaret Case (except he no longer has a window to jump from past the second floor). Forced out of Vogue (finally), nowhere really to go, nothing to do, money squandered, abandoned by all the superficial friends, vile, cuntish personality after years of practice, physically repulsive, mentally ill. You know it just isn't going to end well, one way or the other.

by Anonymousreply 149February 23, 2021 4:40 AM

I’d like to think someone like Tom Ford steps up and helps him with a lawyer and funds, maybe lets him stay in his cabana if things don’t get sorted out.

I wouldn’’t mind staying in Tom’s cabana myself!

by Anonymousreply 150February 23, 2021 7:28 AM

R90

Think again! Plenty of people who earn more than $250k per year have "issues with credit", up to and including being forced into bankruptcy.

Yearly income $250k per year, but a household lives as if earns $400k or more means something is going to give sooner or later.

You'd be surprised how many so called "well off" persons have everything from late payments on credit reports to stiffing local trade and service people for months with unpaid bills.

We're not talking about people with temporary cash flow problems, but those who live way above their heads and simply cannot pay monthly bills on time based on income.

In the old days people like that ran up huge tabs all over town, but paid things off when a windfall arrived (sold a book, got an advance on script, someone died and left them buckets of money, married money, etc..). Today of course creditors simply sell things off to a collection agency or sic lawyers on debtors.

by Anonymousreply 151February 23, 2021 9:16 AM

R51, I worked for a woman that owns a luxury salon and she and her husband made this kind of money. It was in a beautiful multimillion dollar mansion but equipment was worn out, bills wouldn’t get paid on time, providers were wary of her, the 40K limit credit cards were declined and she ran the business like a piggy bank. One day we were at Nordstroms trying to chat up the head of personal shopping (who looked exactly like Edith Head) and the glare and iciness she gave my boss made me realize there was a whole other side of the story I wasn’t seeing. When she sold her personal home for several million, I assumed she’d pay off all the debt and we’d be able to run the shop better. I was so very wrong.

I found out later she has a terrible reputation as a business owner, her husband has bailed her out numerous times, and she spends more than she makes. I quit shortly after.

by Anonymousreply 152February 23, 2021 9:26 AM

R152

Had a friend in college (he went to FIT) that worked for someone exactly same. Got the job off the student employment notice board so presumed it was legit. Nearly every other paycheck, which often came late, bounced.

Job was quasi receptionist, secretary, gofer, assistant in a small office. Every other day people were calling up about unpaid bills, some rather nasty, but was told to take messages and someone would call back. He would be told to place orders for lunch/food to local places and put in on house account (anyone remember those?), but often places just said "no credit". So either had to have cash in hand when stuff arrived, or gave credit card number.

by Anonymousreply 153February 23, 2021 9:39 AM

Few persons of the present day have any really solid qualities, any of the qualities that last, and improve with time. We live, I regret to say, in an age of surfaces.

by Anonymousreply 154February 23, 2021 9:40 AM

Maybe he can join the demimonde of France like Beau Brummel did.

by Anonymousreply 155February 23, 2021 10:34 AM

High fashion intertwined with world of beautiful (but wealthy) people is and has nearly always been one of whites. ALT when a young man wasn't exactly an oil painting, but then again neither was James Baldwin who managed to pull his share of white or black men.

So ALT is black, gay, and over years grew increasingly heavier. The cards were just too stacked against him; plenty of white gays didn't mind apparently being his friend, but that's far as things went.

Much of the dirt ALT is spilling many in or adjacent to fashion world have known for ages. It largely is racist, and only now that things are being called out that places have opened up in name of diversity and equality. There is still huge amount of ground to cover, and don't see needle moving towards middle or even three-quarters anytime soon.

Suppose on some levels ALT can be seen as a bitter old queen settling scores. But then again considering his life and work the man should be slightly more ahead in life than he is now. Many of the white gay men his age in the business or adjacent own a house or two, many have married maybe have children..... They're certainly not enaging in bitter public legal battles over who gave what to whom and for how long.

ALT at this point puts one in mind of some tragic figure of a mistress who has run her course and finds doors closing. Worse having failed to insure some sort of financial security and independence, now finds what she thought were permanent gifts merely considered temporary loans.

Moral of story boys is when you're young and fabulous riding that wave buy something. A house, small apartment, something you can afford to keep no matter what.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156February 23, 2021 11:07 AM

He should eat his friend in retaliation.

by Anonymousreply 157February 23, 2021 11:08 AM

[quote]The landlord is fabulous.

The landlord has no lips.

by Anonymousreply 158February 23, 2021 11:09 AM

A couple of years ago, when he was promoting his book, he was on Terry Gross' show.

After interviewing people for 40 years, Terry is pretty unflappable. But she met her match with ALT. He was ignorant, rude and condescending, and most times wouldn't let Terry get a word in edge wise. He was going to conduct this interview according to his agenda, not hers.

by Anonymousreply 159February 23, 2021 11:47 AM

With all the attention understandably on ALT, I wonder also about Makelmus. The same age as ALT (late 60s/early 70s), he's jumped from a 37-year arrangement with M Blahnik, is chased by a $1M claim from this former partnership, and seems to be chasing after various business deals to relaunch his career.

At his age why the haste to jump from the frying pan info the fire again? I assume some of his various side ventures have suffered from the same Covid stresses that put other businesses under; but is he just a workaholic or did he never give a thought to being in a position where if something unforseen happened (Blahnik is 78, for example), he would be in a position to walk away comfortably. Or not it seems.

by Anonymousreply 160February 23, 2021 11:54 AM

We shall likely never get full dirt on why Blahnik and George Malkemus parted ways, but there is likely a story out there no one is telling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161February 23, 2021 12:12 PM

"We shall likely never get full dirt on why Blahnik and George Malkemus parted ways, but there is likely a story out there no one is telling."

People got wise to the fact that these assholes were charging $500-$1500 for a pair of shoes that cost $5.00 to make, including material and labor.

by Anonymousreply 162February 23, 2021 12:22 PM

On DL people are always talking mockingly about silly old queens wearing a caftan but Andre Leon Talley is LITERALLY ALWAYS wearing a CAFTTAN.

by Anonymousreply 163February 23, 2021 12:42 PM

R163 doesn't see the irony.....

by Anonymousreply 164February 23, 2021 12:53 PM

Kalman Ruttenstein was a big person, but he never stooped to caftans.

Though one could argue trainers, track pants and over sized shirt aren't that much of a better fashion approach.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165February 23, 2021 12:57 PM

R164-, What is the irony?

by Anonymousreply 166February 23, 2021 1:22 PM

ALT is a SPENDER. I'm not a spender I'm an INVESTOR.

NEVER spend the principal. Invest your money and ONLY spend the income from the investment.

by Anonymousreply 167February 23, 2021 1:29 PM

ALT grew up in the Black Church so he is naturally conflicted by his gayness. When you deny intimacy with people you settle for the refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 168February 23, 2021 2:25 PM

Poor guy has burned through all his social capital, down to the last wooden nickels like Bev Smith. He’s had so much good fortune (fully-underwritten health retreats, lavish travel, misplaced adoration for holographic achievements) but he doesn’t have the self-knowledge to even appreciate it. It’s hard to pity a spoiled and cynical pariah when so many are struggling to meet basic needs right now. Poor old ALT had too much of everything EXCEPT what he needed, like modesty, pragmatism and a calculator.

Yes, yes...Anna Wintour is awful, but I have to admire her stoicism. It takes huge balls, the balls of a cannon, to “ghost” someone like ALT. His vague, amateurish claims of identity politics and mistreatment over the arc of his career read false. The opposite was true. I hope he can provide for his basic needs in these desperate last years. He’s a bit like King Lear wandering on the heath, but less interesting.

by Anonymousreply 169February 23, 2021 2:51 PM

R159 That’s too bad about his experience with Terry Gross, because she’s a damn fine interviewer, really bright and articulate.

by Anonymousreply 170February 23, 2021 2:55 PM

On looking “slim” in caftans, from r159’s interview:

[quote]But I did select caftans at a certain age. And my suits - my beautiful custom-made suits are put away because the caftans create a stately, tall image. You can look great in them and look slim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171February 23, 2021 3:00 PM

R169 If ALT has sense, he'll lean into the identity politics sob-story and get some young twink to set up a GoFundMe for him. Seriously, there can't be that many obese, elderly, black queens on whom these people on Twitter could lavish their respect, so he could make enough to keep his head above water. Anna Wintour has cut him off, so he may as well lean into the current narrative about her being an evil, anorexia-promoting white supremacist. That being said, he would no doubt run through any money he'd get very fast, as he seems to have poor impulse control.

by Anonymousreply 172February 23, 2021 3:03 PM

[quote] Yes, yes...Anna Wintour is awful, but I have to admire her stoicism. It takes huge balls, the balls of a cannon, to “ghost” someone like ALT.

I don't think it would be that hard to ghost him. He opens his mouth and buries his own case. Wintour always held the power. $250K or whatever he was making is a small fraction of what she was making. He was silly to live in that style while making $250K. Where does that number ($250K) come from anyway?

by Anonymousreply 173February 23, 2021 3:03 PM

[quote]You can look great in them and look slim.

So, we've established that he wasn't spending his income at the optometrist.

by Anonymousreply 174February 23, 2021 3:05 PM

The kimono/caftan of the fashionista lifestyle has been opened. That lifestyle is all about the appearance of wealth - but no writer or magazine person ever made the kind of money required to live it. Wisdom learned form the years - high income, fancy car, expensive clothes do not equal wealth.

The Millionaire Next Door is the most accurate picture I’ve seen of people I know with wealth - it’s about accumulation of money not spending it. Buying lots of stuff is the exact opposite of generating wealth. But marketing has convinced hordes of young people otherwise - hence the massive credit card debt held by so many Americans.

by Anonymousreply 175February 23, 2021 3:15 PM

He was sexually abused as a child. That’s why he’s never been able to have a truly intimate sexual relationship, and explains his struggle with food. He’s said he’s given up on trying to lose weight in his last book. It’s his one comfort left.

by Anonymousreply 176February 23, 2021 3:24 PM

The only difference between ALT and other fabulous type gays who live beyond their means is that ALT never exchanged hole or pole to get anything. Had that been the case he'd probably have more to fall back on. So he might be a broke but at least he can say he never hoed to pay bills.

by Anonymousreply 177February 23, 2021 3:34 PM

IMO, even if he had had a sugar daddy or whatever, he would have blown through that money by now. There's a reason that he apparently has no credit.

by Anonymousreply 178February 23, 2021 3:47 PM

So r178 do you think Jussie will be in eviction court in 30 years? Caftan and all?

by Anonymousreply 179February 23, 2021 3:52 PM

only fans is the answer for ALT

by Anonymousreply 180February 23, 2021 3:53 PM

Who is Jussie?

by Anonymousreply 181February 23, 2021 4:08 PM

He needs a Netflix deal.

by Anonymousreply 182February 23, 2021 4:29 PM

Does the dude have any energy left to host a show?

by Anonymousreply 183February 23, 2021 5:57 PM

its ruff to get used to bein broke after uve had tons of it.....very ruff indeed.

by Anonymousreply 184February 23, 2021 6:58 PM

I wonder who takes care of the 1.23 acre surrounding the house? I can't see ALT out there on a power mower.

by Anonymousreply 185February 23, 2021 7:33 PM

In such situations, I am always reminded of a scene in "I, Claudius" where King Herod advises Emperor Claudius "trust no one." I personally cannot think who is more odious, Talley or his boss, Wintour, both are enough to make one retch.

by Anonymousreply 186February 23, 2021 7:51 PM

From January ... Was the masterclass exchange for Parsons being streamed from the home he's being evicted from? (Third photo looks like the inside of a house.)

He might have to do it from Starbucks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187February 23, 2021 8:24 PM

"This house has 11 rooms, but I only use two of them."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188February 23, 2021 8:30 PM

[quote] His income from Conde/Vogue was something like 250k. He wouldn't have qualified for a 900k loan

Yes he would. In fact, $900K is right around the upper limit on what a person could borrow for a home on that income. Assuming his credit is otherwise decent.

by Anonymousreply 189February 23, 2021 8:33 PM

Anna Wintour isn't really connected to this story. She owes him nothing. They worked together, she fired him. He enjoyed the merry go round, all the perks. Then it stopped. He was very happy to belong to the fashion pack, now he's been cast out he decries it's (undoubted) racism, elitism, nastiness. His health issues, obesity, his loneliness, his financial woes, Wintour is not responsible for any of that. If it's true he has another house in Carolina, that's great! He's doing better than most of us.

by Anonymousreply 190February 23, 2021 8:36 PM

He got the mowing attachment for his mobility scooter

by Anonymousreply 191February 23, 2021 8:37 PM

And when Andre sits around the house

She sits AROUND the HOUSE!

by Anonymousreply 192February 23, 2021 8:39 PM

Does he keep all of those huge designer kaftans, kimonos, capes, etc. that he wears? They could take up a lot of floorspace .. lol. .. And since each is so recognizable, I imagine he wears most of them only once; but unlike a dress, is there a market for pricey, designer, used kaftans?

by Anonymousreply 193February 23, 2021 8:48 PM

blew his money on ho's???

by Anonymousreply 194February 23, 2021 8:55 PM

More likely HoHos.

by Anonymousreply 195February 23, 2021 9:12 PM

R175- Exactly.

If you want to be POOR act RICH.

If you want to be RICH act POOR.

by Anonymousreply 196February 23, 2021 10:20 PM

[quote]Does he keep all of those huge designer kaftans, kimonos, capes, etc. that he wears?

Maybe that explains why he only lives in two rooms. Three caftans per room in the other nine; maybe four if they’re the “slim” ones.

by Anonymousreply 197February 23, 2021 11:04 PM

R125 I may not know real estate but I know White Plains, and you couldn’t pay me to live there.

by Anonymousreply 198February 23, 2021 11:18 PM

I doubt his house is in the center of white plains near all the commercial business. It’s probably on the edge near Scarsdale.

by Anonymousreply 199February 23, 2021 11:20 PM

Maps shows the house is about 5 miles from Scarsdale. It's over by the I-87 (hamlet of Worthington).

by Anonymousreply 200February 23, 2021 11:40 PM

Oh my goodness that is a very large colored homowesual man !!!!

by Anonymousreply 201February 23, 2021 11:57 PM

He told Wendy Williams that he's "sexually fluid."

by Anonymousreply 202February 24, 2021 12:56 AM

Gurl the only fluidity that sista has is when she retains water .

by Anonymousreply 203February 24, 2021 1:14 AM

she aint missin no meals.....her health must suck, way too obese.....sad

by Anonymousreply 204February 24, 2021 2:00 AM

Can't he do a Cass Elliot and move to LA?

by Anonymousreply 205February 24, 2021 2:05 AM

He has connections with the Savannah College Of Art And Design - move down there and be some sort of grand senior professor. He can't afford LA or NYC.

by Anonymousreply 206February 24, 2021 3:17 AM

When he quit Vogue to work for a Russian fashion magazine a few years back, it was announced that he had left because Anna had refused to give him a raise. At that time, they said his salary from Vogue was about 250k. He may have been making more on the side as a consultant.

Grace Coddington at the time was paid like 500 or 600k.

Anna 1 million.

by Anonymousreply 207February 24, 2021 3:37 AM

Publishing never paid nor does pay well, especially fashion. There are people who don't get out of bed to piss for 1 million USD, much less $250k.

Look up reviews of jobs at various Conde Nast publications, including Vogue. Tons of moaning about compensation along standard for industry; backstabbing, cunty and other similar behavior.

ALT was at the high end of salary range for his position. For fashion directors and editors it is the perks of the job that round out compensation. That and whatever else a particular person is able to wring out of "upstairs" when negotiating taking the job.

If AW is getting one million what did ALT expect for a raise? Up to $350k to $450k? That was never going to happen as he just isn't worth that much to Vogue .

by Anonymousreply 208February 24, 2021 3:56 AM

I had a farm in Africa, ..

by Anonymousreply 209February 24, 2021 4:02 AM

r61 nailed it. The couple used the relationship with Talley to promote their brand. It was cheaper to loan him money like this and maintain the friendship and preferential treatment than to spend more on ad space in Vogue.

I wonder how a court would view the situation if Talley indeed has paid over $1 million back to them plus put over $200k into repairs.

by Anonymousreply 210February 24, 2021 4:09 AM

They wouldn’t need ALT. Manolo Blahnik has been supplying Anna Wintour with variations on the same shoe for almost 30 years.

They send her either two or three shipments every year with different materials, shades of beige, heel heights, and strap widths, but they’re all bespoke and made to fit wooden models of her demonic hooves.

....and her toes STILL hang out the sides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211February 24, 2021 4:28 AM

Toes look like she needs a pedicure. How the hell do you get custom-made shoes and your toes are still hanging out at the sides?

by Anonymousreply 212February 24, 2021 4:36 AM

This is the property in question.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213February 24, 2021 4:53 AM

For you girls arguing about commute time from ALT's home to NYC... For giggles entered address (75 Worthington Road) as departure and destination GCT, according to Google maps travel times are as follows:

Via I-87 South - 34 minutes (fastest route)

Via Saw Mill River Pkwy S and NY-9A S/Henry Hudson Pkwy - 37 minutes

Via Saw Mill River Pkwy S and I-87 S - 35 minutes

In all cases we're talking about a distance of 25 miles

by Anonymousreply 214February 24, 2021 5:00 AM

How can he still afford rentboys?

by Anonymousreply 215February 24, 2021 5:05 AM

Something smells about this whole story.

ALT claims he had to move suddenly from another vacation property he had upstate due to mold. He found the property at 75 Worthington Road but was unable to do purchase property himself due to ”rushed circumstances of the move and credit issues.” So he states "accepted the defendants’ offer to help him obtain the house."

Either all three are the dumbest people on planet, or ALT pulled a quick one and took advantage of kindness offered by friends.

Who in their right mind buys a home for someone else to live in without any sort of written agreement as to how things are going to go?

Unless something earth shattering come out at trial Malkemus and Yurgaitis deserve to lose that house. It will serve as another legal lesson " no good deed goes unpunished".

by Anonymousreply 216February 24, 2021 5:07 AM

What are the eviction rules in NY state? Isn't it going to be hard to get him out of that house?

by Anonymousreply 217February 24, 2021 5:20 AM

[quote] Isn't it going to be hard to get him out of that house?

They might need a crane.

by Anonymousreply 218February 24, 2021 5:27 AM

Has he ever had sex? If so, is he a top or bottom?

by Anonymousreply 219February 24, 2021 5:31 AM

Why is ALT using an attorney with expertise in bankruptcy and restructuring?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220February 24, 2021 5:51 AM

"I wonder how a court would view the situation if Talley indeed has paid over $1 million back to them plus put over $200k into repairs."

R210

Normally repairs don't enter into rentals unless LL has been informed what's needed, then refuses to do required work.

If ALT indeed paid one million dollars long as he has proof then there may be some hope for his side. Otherwise it's just more he said - they said.

Reading NYT interview ALT comes across as a tiresome first class bore. She's very grand and rather affected in a common sort of way, not unlike the trans of color going around screaming "fierce".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221February 24, 2021 10:47 AM

"The documents also concede, “Because this promise was not reduced to writing, Talley has no adequate remedy at law,” but he still requested he be allowed to continue living in the home and the title be transferred to him."

That's all courts need to know; unless NYS legal system is prepared to create some sort of legal fiction that creates a basis for ALT to be given that property, I don't see him prevailing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222February 24, 2021 10:52 AM

Sadly, this fellow sounds like a freeloader and a deadbeat. I think the pattern here is an awful sense of entitlement and grandiosity. His demanding “work” as cheerleader for Anna Wintour isn’t really a serviceable explanation for bad credit, but Charvet shirts and Concorde tickets might be. There are historical records of people being denied mortgages, a practice called redlining, but this seems different. His struggles with marginalization and bias should be held separate from those who have experienced these in the real world, not a chiffon trench.

by Anonymousreply 223February 24, 2021 1:13 PM

[quote]Who is Jussie?

Oh, the unitended shade of it all!

by Anonymousreply 224February 24, 2021 2:35 PM

No one has told me what his JOB was all those years.

by Anonymousreply 225February 24, 2021 2:44 PM

The biggest sugar daddy of them all was S.I. Newhouse. He funded all of this excess from a fortune estimated at $13B. His family intervened before his death to cut the losses. ALT was simply collateral damage, as was Graydon Carter at VF.

by Anonymousreply 226February 24, 2021 2:52 PM

He may not get to stay in the home, but if he paid a cent over that they bought it for in upkeep and repairs he can sue for it. 17-18 years is a long time to live in a home that large without spending a substantial amount on upkeep, if he did indeed pay for that. Hopefully he retained receipts!

I once rented from family member who couldn't really afford repairs. Because you are family they expect you to wait forever until they get money together to fix that pesky AC or that busted pipe, and if you don't feel like living in a slum you pay for it yourself. But when you take it off your rent payment its a problem.

by Anonymousreply 227February 24, 2021 2:55 PM

ALT should startup a francophone version of DL.

French Dissing

by Anonymousreply 228February 24, 2021 3:16 PM

[quote] "I wonder how a court would view the situation if Talley indeed has paid over $1 million back to them plus put over $200k into repairs."

One million over 17 years is around $5,000 per month. What would the monthly rent be for a mansion that size in on a 1+ acre estate in that area?

by Anonymousreply 229February 24, 2021 5:09 PM

I can’t find if ALT was paying the taxes as well... I think he’s f-ed due to nothing being in writing. I assume he can have a fire sale & move to a cheaper southern college to be a paid ‘ambassador of fashion’ teacher. He has immense fashion knowledge but I fear his ego and health will prohibit him from every working again.

by Anonymousreply 230February 24, 2021 5:29 PM

R230 Interesting option. He is generally admired by the community at Savannah College of Art & Design,SCAD (a really cool organization). That community might be a better place for him if he needs to make a change. By many accounts, though, he is not so easy to be around (finger snapping, impatient, easily affronted “Darling do your homework!!!!” self-aggrandizing). His “genius” could technically be neurobehavioral. His extreme focus on obscure, tedious stylistic details of musty old, anachronistic fashion collections is like an autistic child’s hyperfocus on magic tricks or a collection of tat figurines (“we saw this lapel and those buttons in Schiaparelli’s fabulous bla-bla-blah...feed me now! Put me in the FRONT row!”).

Someone somewhere may step forward with a check, but he doesn’t seem to be that sympathetic as a presence in the community, and that fashion crowd is a notoriously mean one. A lot of people have aged off the mastheads of print fashion media, but few were as obnoxious and self-pitying as ALT. The thirst (and hunger) was real, and insatiable.

He might be fine financially. If so, he should do the dignified thing, pay his bills and simply disappear.

by Anonymousreply 231February 24, 2021 6:26 PM

[quote] I can’t find if ALT was paying the taxes as well.

And not just the property taxes ... I'm no expert, but I think if this were some kind of lease-to-purchase (rent-to-buy) "agreement", then, even if unwritten, some transactions related to it should have been indicated on both parties' income taxes for the year in which they occurred??

by Anonymousreply 232February 24, 2021 6:28 PM

The tax considerations should have been outliined in the agreement. But with bad credit, and having to deal in cash, why do you think ALT is current on his taxes? Doubtful

by Anonymousreply 233February 24, 2021 7:12 PM

Coming March 5:

[quote] Malkemus and Yurgaitis’ attorney Edward David said, “The complaint only tells his [Talley’s] side of the story.

[quote] “We have not yet filed our answer or counterclaim which will explain the real story."

This should be entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 234February 24, 2021 7:13 PM

It's been a long time since I took Business Law, but IIRC, a real estate transaction is only enforceable if it's in writing.

by Anonymousreply 235February 24, 2021 7:41 PM

Good point, R235, I think I remember that as well. No oral contracts for real estate. I mentioned before that he might be able to get a remedy in equity, e.g., unjust enrichment. However, R229 did the math and maybe what ALT spent was about equal to what he would have paid in rent.

by Anonymousreply 236February 24, 2021 8:29 PM

The New York Times published a pretty long feature article on the case today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237February 24, 2021 10:49 PM

[quote]"This house has 11 rooms, but I only use two of them."

Obviously, the kitchen and the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 238February 24, 2021 10:57 PM

I'm not very interested in or sympathetic to Talley (I think he's pretty much a shiftless parasite), but I hope this tarnishes Wintour's reputation and leads o her retirement or resignation. She's one of the few people whom I think are more despicable than him, and at this point she should retire anyway since she's over 70.

by Anonymousreply 239February 24, 2021 11:18 PM

I like how the two guys claim the 120K Andre gave them for the down payment was really a "security deposit"--as if anyone gives a landlord a security deposit that is 12% of the value of the property.

by Anonymousreply 240February 25, 2021 3:59 AM

NYT piece in R237 delves into the nitty-gritty.

Had wondered why two supposedly smart persons like Malkemus and Yurgaitis got themselves into this position, now can understand. It's another case of being too nice for too long to a moocher.

From NYT Since 2004, Mr. Talley, 72, has lived in an 11-room white colonial in White Plains, just north of New York City.

At that time, George Malkemus, the former head of Manolo Blahnik USA, and Anthony Yurgaitis, his business partner and husband, bought the house for about $1 million on the understanding that Mr. Talley would live in it and pay Mr. Malkemus and Mr. Yurgaitis money each month.

Mr. Malkemus and his husband called this “rent,” and the three men signed a two-year lease to that effect, renewable for up to eight more years.

That lease expired in 2014, and was never re-signed, and the amount of money Mr. Talley paid each month varied widely according to his income stream

"In 2004, according to Mr. Talley’s affidavit, Mr. Talley was forced to leave his New York apartment because of mold. In part because Mr. Talley (for whom money was worth thinking about simply as a means to purchase the beautiful things he craved) had run into financial trouble three times before — he filed for bankruptcy in North Carolina in 1997 and 1998, and in New York in 1993, largely because of failure to pay taxes — getting a mortgage would be complicated.

So Mr. Malkemus and Mr. Yurgaitis offered to act as proxies for Mr. Talley: to buy the house and hold the mortgage — or so says Mr. Talley’s lawsuit, which claims he was operating in good faith that he would one day become owner of the property. He had also paid, his affidavit said, to maintain and improve the property, including spending $12,000 on a new boiler and $30,000 to replace the roof.

Given that in 1999 Mr. Talley claims Mr. Malkemus helped him buy a car in much the same way — for reasons not specified in the affidavit Mr. Talley was “unable to do so myself,” so he wired Mr. Malkemus approximately $45,000, the papers say, and Mr. Malkemus “went to a dealership and used those funds to purchase the vehicle on my behalf” — there was precedent."

Having now paid $955,558 according to an accounting exhibit attached to the filing, Mr. Talley’s petition requests the house be placed in a trust so he can prove his right to ownership. Mr. Malkemus contends that he is owed $515,872.96, and that — well, it’s his house.

/quotes So basically two men with good credit and finances got themselves legally and otherwise involved with someone who has suspect financial history, and money that went up and down.

Malkemus and Yurgaitis further went down that rabbit hole by not either forcing ALT to renew whatever agreement that expired, but let him remain in property using as he saw fit and paying little to no "rent" each month. They also accepted those various but infrequent payments even though they were not same as outlined in previous agreement.

In broadest sense ATL became a month to month tenant after that "lease" expired in 2014. For the next almost six years that unofficial relationship continued. The courts are going to have a field day with this one.

by Anonymousreply 241February 25, 2021 4:16 AM

R234 - If the shoe fits, throw it.

by Anonymousreply 242February 25, 2021 4:30 AM

I'm sorry but filing BK isn't gonna make your tax troubles go away. he must have owed a lot more than taxes.

by Anonymousreply 243February 25, 2021 4:38 AM

Well filing bankruptcy will get everyone else off your back so have money to pay taxes.

Would love for this to go to trail and have ALT spell out under oath exactly what was state of his finances and personal situation that he couldn't buy a car himself, but could wire $45k cash to someone else that could.

You can buy an old beater or used car for much less than $45k, so Miss Talley must have wanted something more upscale than a Toyota Corolla.

by Anonymousreply 244February 25, 2021 4:45 AM

According to tax records.--

In 1994, he owed IRS $363,288.36 (tax lien)

in 2003, he owed IRS $ 29, 805 (tax lien)

He didn't pay them off until Dec 2009!

by Anonymousreply 245February 25, 2021 4:57 AM

The car must have cost more than $45,000. If the car “only” cost $45,000, he could have bought it himself (paid cash), without help.

by Anonymousreply 246February 25, 2021 5:17 AM

I think it was a Lincoln Town Car that he was purchasing, so that would have been around 75K.

by Anonymousreply 247February 25, 2021 5:25 AM

Lincoln Towncars back then cost less than $25k

by Anonymousreply 248February 25, 2021 5:28 AM

Not with upgrades and customization.

by Anonymousreply 249February 25, 2021 5:30 AM

R248 He’d have to have it altered to be able to fit behind the wheel. Not sure what that would cost.

by Anonymousreply 250February 25, 2021 6:01 AM

He didn't want to put the car in his own name if he had creditors.

They would have seized the car and sold it to satisfy some of his debts.

by Anonymousreply 251February 25, 2021 6:11 AM

Overweight grandiose delusional shvartze makes his own bed and then refuses to lie in it. Film at 11!

by Anonymousreply 252February 25, 2021 6:25 AM

Having not seen the "accounting exhibit" wonder if figure of $955,558 USD reflects payments made over years, or includes work done on property.

by Anonymousreply 253February 25, 2021 6:34 AM

Mark my words, this is going to end like that film Rebecca. Miss Talley is going to set fire to her "Manderley" clutching an embroidered pillow and crying hysterically as place burns down around her.....

by Anonymousreply 254February 25, 2021 6:35 AM

R249

Yes, like a specially reinforced suspension to better carry heavy and wide loads.

by Anonymousreply 255February 25, 2021 6:36 AM

You laugh, but if Tiger had been driving a reinforced Lincoln Towncar, he wouldn't have rolled off the road.

by Anonymousreply 256February 25, 2021 7:31 AM

[quote]Having not seen the "accounting exhibit" wonder if figure of $955,558 USD reflects payments made over years, or includes work done on property.

Will be interesting, R253. I was struck by the modest amounts cited in the NYT article (24 Feb.; linked upthread) for landscape expenditures. $1400 annually on landscaping (assuming that includes lawn service) is crazy low, and $10,000 doesn't go far with an arborist, let alone on a large property with mature trees -- over how many years. If only the rest of his expenditures were that modest, his claim might be received more favorably -- and he might never have landed in this unpleasantness.

[quote]According to his affidavit, he pays $1,400 annually for landscaping and “have spent approximately $10,000 to maintain the larger trees.”

Not that ALT wasn't all kinds of stupid, but working in a position whose purpose boils down to luxury and conspicuous consumption ALT was hardly alone is his dangerous game. Where everyone is surrounded by rich and very rich people, where (like NYC itself) no matter how rich you are there is someone nearby whose wealth will make you feel very poor indeed, where the false modesty of "oh, that, that's nothing, really" touches everything from a $12 muffin to a Newport beach cottage, more than a few get in over their heads, or work a sham that gets ever more complicated. When you take a step back and look around the swimmers in the same pool, some are marvelously adept at the strenuous and dangerous game, just barely keeping afloat and pretending they can swim, while for others it's always already way too late.

by Anonymousreply 257February 25, 2021 8:04 AM

Late as 2001 ALT had a chauffeur driven BMW, though maybe he didn't own the car.

Oh and the "chauffeur" was ALT's personal assistant at time "Teddy".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258February 25, 2021 8:09 AM

Now this could be the Lincoln Town Car in question...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259February 25, 2021 8:10 AM

Talley with his ride — a black BMW 7 Series Hybrid — outside the Fall 2011 Rodarte show, February 2011

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260February 25, 2021 8:13 AM

Vogue used to pay for some of its editors to be chauffeured. That might (or might not) have been a fringe benefit.

If this actually does go to court, we will learn many interesting things.

by Anonymousreply 261February 25, 2021 8:13 AM

If ALT is so hard up she should hock some of that LV.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262February 25, 2021 8:16 AM

No one is going to invite her anywhere anymore, Samsonite will due just fine....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263February 25, 2021 8:17 AM

R257

"$1400 annually on landscaping (assuming that includes lawn service) is crazy low,"

Oh I don't know..... Sadly no small number of homes employ illegals directly for landscaping services, or use a contractor who depends upon same. Either way cost is often dirt cheap, hence the attraction. No, the work isn't very good, but they rush through as many customers daylight will permit so make money on volume.

by Anonymousreply 264February 25, 2021 8:24 AM

There will be some sort of negotiation and he’ll bow out and move south to the house he had bought for his mom. I’m guessing he had hyped the advance and sales of his recent books and the numbers came in much lower than thought and he stopped paying rent.

You KNOW that tub probably has a black ring around it and is going to need to be replaced.

by Anonymousreply 265February 25, 2021 8:32 AM

Maybe gay friendly Stevie Wonder will invite Andre to stay in his new Ghana mansion in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 266February 25, 2021 8:39 AM

he will have to file for BK again...the legal fees must be expensive!

by Anonymousreply 267February 25, 2021 8:40 AM

R257

Perhaps, but then again as the NYT piece linked above fashion long has been a place where "gifts" and compensation (thus illusions of wealth) long have been twisted.

From NYT piece

"It may seem relatively minor — a free bag here, in the hope that an editor may be photographed carrying it to her seat in the front row, hence serving as a quasi-advertisement for a brand, or a free trip to a show in a faraway country, with a first-class ticket and hotel, in return for a review that otherwise wouldn’t happen because of tightening budgets.

But as Mr. Talley’s situation shows, such arrangements, always unspoken, helped carve out a wider slippery slope. And it’s easy to lose your footing and slide all the way to the bottom."

"Indeed, his most formative relationship in fashion, according to his memoir, may have been with Mr. Lagerfeld, a designer whose work he covered, at whose estates he often spent holidays, and whose gifts to Mr. Talley included a Fabergé pin and a giant Louis Vuitton trunk.

“If you were in Karl’s life, he dressed you,” Mr. Talley writes in his book. “Paloma Picasso and Ines de la Fressange were dressed free of charge at Chanel and Fendi. As was Tina Chow.” As was Mr. Talley."

"According to the fashion news website Fashionista, for example, the average assistant market editor at a print title, whose job is to help select which items end up in published roundups and reviews, was $25,000 in 2019. To supplement these low incomes, those editors may sell items they have been given to them as a way to make extra money, a practice fueled in recent years by the booming online resale market."

/quotes

You see there is very little wealth in fashion industry at least on side of drones and adjacent persons. Money is with those who buy things, own the fashion houses, and otherwise provide capital to keep things going. M. Bernard Arnault is wealthy, and can back that up any day of the week. Those further down the line may have closets and homes filled with labels and trappings of wealth (courtesy of gifts or whatever), but it's all an illusion.

ALT lived way above his head in part because Vogue allowed it to happen. It was Anna Wintour, his then-boss, asked S.I. Newhouse, the Condé Nast chief executive, to advance ALT an interest free loan so he could purchase that house for his grandmother.

It is also true that when ALT began working at Conde Nast low compensation for key employees was rounded out by expense accounts, wardrobe allowances, those sort of things. Conde Nast could write some or all of those things off their own taxes to lessen the financial pain.

by Anonymousreply 268February 25, 2021 8:50 AM

Even if ALT somehow obtains that property he'll never be able to maintain the place. Property taxes alone run about $25k per year, and we know ALT cannot even pay "rent" on time due to erratic income issues.

At his age how is ALT going to support keeping up two properties without a steady source of income? He has already admitted his retirement is not very financially secure. My guess is if he does get the White Plains property free and clear it will be on the market before long .

by Anonymousreply 269February 25, 2021 9:01 AM

Since they used his cash to buy the car so it wouldn't be in his name, I imagine the fake lease agreement was to prove to any creditors that the house was not his asset and couldn't be seized to pay his debts. I would bet that the understanding was that once he paid off the IRS and his credit cards and other private debt had timed out, the house would be transferred to him once he paid it off.

The two guys who did this should know that once can get in trouble (legal trouble) for putting assets that belong to someone else in their name to help that someone shield the assets.

by Anonymousreply 270February 25, 2021 2:29 PM

This whole thing reeks of stupid, all around. I dislike ALT on almost every level, but something inside me says he's telling the truth, and the two guys are having financial problems now, and are trying to take advantage of ALT's naivete, and his current poor standing in popularity. The smart thing to do would have been to put the house, from the beginning, into an LLC, or a trust.

I still don't understand how ALT's income could have been sporadic. He worked for a huge corporation, and must have received a regular paycheck.

by Anonymousreply 271February 25, 2021 2:58 PM

r263, ...that pic, like he's ever played a game of tennis in his life!

by Anonymousreply 272February 25, 2021 3:02 PM

From R263's link

[quote]So overweight fees are paid for by my Air France mileage.”

No one has that many miles.

by Anonymousreply 273February 25, 2021 3:49 PM

This is all very sad and lurid. I would be so humiliated to have spent my life crowing about pretentious, overpriced ugly things, and then have it publicly disclosed that my own finances were in shambles. This whole story is disturbing, more so in that so many people are broke right now. This conspicuous consumption is vulgar enough, but magnified tenfold by this chapter of his life. It’s really putrid. You wonder about the condition of that home. It is likely squalid and packed with old frausty clothing and trinkets. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 274February 25, 2021 4:22 PM

Some of those photos upthread are from not that long ago. ALT was svelte enough to not be wearing a tent.

This is a cautionary tale for me. You can't expect to live your life the "same way" you've always lived it. You have to not only adjust, but feel grateful for what you do have. Whether it's money or looks or deceased and loved family members.

If ALT would corral all his assets, liquidate as many as possible, sell his old Louis Vuitton ... He'd have enough for a new start. So what if it's in a town house in Atlanta.

by Anonymousreply 275February 25, 2021 4:30 PM

When speaking of ALT, I’m shocked no one has mentioned his paint peeling halitosis! Deeply intestinal-based, it could truly knock the flies off a shit wagon.

by Anonymousreply 276February 25, 2021 6:36 PM

R276, see R148.

by Anonymousreply 277February 25, 2021 7:10 PM

All this talk about cars reminds me of the not so blind item about him, ca. 2009.

[quote] Which towering, flamboyant Vogue contributor caused amusement on W. 52nd St when he threw a fit because his limo driver stopped all of six feet away from him? He huffily refused to move, and the increasingly rattled driver was unable to back up, forcing him to circle the block again to align the door more directly with His Majesty's Gucci loafers.

by Anonymousreply 278February 25, 2021 7:11 PM

It was Agatha all along.

by Anonymousreply 279February 25, 2021 7:18 PM

His breath was mentioned earlier, but I remember hearing somewhere that his breath could usually be equated to someone eating dirty ass for breakfast every morning.

by Anonymousreply 280February 25, 2021 8:30 PM

What fucking crust!

"“As he rose in the fashion world and found his circumstances frequently changing and demands on his time increasing, Talley often relied on a selection of his close, trusted friends to assist him with various aspects of his personal life, including the Defendants – and Malkemus in particular,” according to his filing. "

ALT's ego is almost big as himself, or possibly larger.

How about poor black man who was broke and suffered from various financial and legal woes used others to continue living a lifestyle he couldn't afford.

Miss Girl makes herself sound like Booker T. Washington or someone of equal importance in the community of color or world for that matter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281February 25, 2021 10:19 PM

r274 = Anna W.

by Anonymousreply 282February 25, 2021 10:30 PM

R282...I think R276 is Anna W. too.

by Anonymousreply 283February 25, 2021 10:39 PM

Deep down inside he was always the poor little black child .Hence the overbearing hauteur and deeply pretentious behavior. I disliked him mostly ,but now I feel deeply sorry for him. he needs to have the granddaddy of all estate sales and learn to live within his means on the proceeds. Honey,in the 80s I knew scads of queens who lived just like ALT. $300 shirt,$600 loafers yet couldnt pay the light bill.

by Anonymousreply 284February 25, 2021 10:42 PM

[quote]Has he ever had sex?

Yes, but it's a time consuming process. First you have to roll him in flour and then start the search for the wet spot....

by Anonymousreply 285February 26, 2021 3:51 AM

I had to be blunt, but wasn’t he kept around as the “House Negro” at Vogue/Condé Nast?

by Anonymousreply 286February 26, 2021 4:17 AM

Ugh, I don’t want to see this hideous outfit, but no matter how many times I block this thread it pops back up like a Whack-A-Mole??

by Anonymousreply 287February 26, 2021 4:24 AM

I think we need a jacket here.

by Anonymousreply 288February 26, 2021 4:34 AM

Maybe he could arrange a celebrity auction through Julien's in LA. His Vuitton luggage would sell, but would there be any interest in the oversized and garish clothing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289February 26, 2021 5:53 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 290February 26, 2021 6:00 AM

R289 “A Gentleman’s Arcade of Luxury Treasures” looks like a lot of expensive, impractical impulse purchases. That particular type of materialism seems very empty. I wonder how many lonely old guys are swallowed up in tattered finery like this. I would rather have freedom, security, simplicity, and not get trapped in all that ornate but useless crap. Maybe the owner of these items truly enjoyed gathering them. I hope so.

by Anonymousreply 291February 26, 2021 12:12 PM

[quote]"I have four empty bedrooms in my house. One is for guests, and the other three are closets." -Andre Leon Talley.

Doesn't sound like the stuff of on of 'The Gentleman's Sale' catalogues for Christie's or Sotheby's or Bonham's: £1500+ cufflinks, Hemingway's desk blotter made of bull hide in Pamplona in 1923, a box of marble phalluses snapped off classical Greek and Roman sculptures and smuggled out of the Vatican collections and sold to an English bachelor duke in the early 18thC... Instead it sounds more like the the contents of hundreds of SWAG bags emptied out onto the floor of each guest room until the doors could no longer be closed.

by Anonymousreply 292February 26, 2021 12:30 PM

So what of the outcome, is he on the street.

by Anonymousreply 293February 26, 2021 1:04 PM

[quote]but would there be any interest in the oversized and garish clothing.

It could set off a post-pandemic “Ghost ALT” craze.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294February 26, 2021 2:35 PM

I feel for him. But he needs to move into a condo.

by Anonymousreply 295February 26, 2021 4:52 PM

The NYT article says his lawsuit includes a statement that he pays "$1,400 annually for landscaping" and “has spent approximately $10,000 to maintain the larger trees."

I'm laughing, because that sounds like NOTHING for a 1.23 acre lot. .. We pay a gardener $1200 a year to maintain a 7500 sq ft. lot, and the house itself takes up at least 1/3 of the lot. Anything extra like new plants, supplies, sprinkler repair, etc. is charged separately. .. And a recent quote to remove just one large pine tree was $5000.

by Anonymousreply 296February 26, 2021 8:38 PM

[quote] I feel for him. But he needs to move into a condo.

He could get this mobile home in Bohemia on Long Island for $135K. .. Perhaps they'd even throw in the medical equipment in one of the bedrooms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297February 26, 2021 8:46 PM

[quote]Maybe he could arrange a celebrity auction through Julien's in LA.

Having dealt with D. Julien on a personal level during a sale, I came to the opinion he is a closeted, money-grubbing, fame-whore and not to be trusted. I could be wrong...

by Anonymousreply 298February 26, 2021 8:49 PM

[quote]And a recent quote to remove just one large pine tree was $5000.

Sounds like you aren't anyone special. ALT's arborist can use him as a reference and client list which trades out in publicity.

by Anonymousreply 299February 26, 2021 8:51 PM

Did the give him the Talley Ho?

by Anonymousreply 300February 26, 2021 9:22 PM

[quote] In his memoir, he revealed how he thought the love of his fashionista friends would last for ever, but that they cruelly dropped him when he was no longer useful to them.

Hasn't he ever watched Project Runway?

Rule No. 1: "As you know in fashion, one day you're in. And the next day, you're out."

by Anonymousreply 301February 26, 2021 10:12 PM

R293

ALT still has that house he bought for late grandmother down south IIRC. There might be an apartment somewhere in NYC as well.

Miss. Ghurl won't be homeless, she just wants to hang onto that house like Scarlett O'Hara wanted Tara

by Anonymousreply 302February 26, 2021 10:50 PM

It is telling that people ALT thought were his friends or even tight haven't offered much if any support.

Tom Ford could buy that house in Greenberg many times over or just gift ALT one million and not suffer any harm to his estates. But guess ALT and Mr. Ford weren't that close after all.

by Anonymousreply 303February 26, 2021 10:59 PM

I wouldn't give money to someone who is bad with money. If anything, I would pay, directly, for something that that person needed.

by Anonymousreply 304February 26, 2021 11:02 PM

Characters like Jack McFarland (Will and Grace) and Carrie (SATC) are far too common in real life.

While both handled their finances very badly, Jack compounded things by being a supreme moocher. Grace was a bit of a mooch as well, but at least she did work and thus could be forced when situation called for to pull her socks up.

You end up with a mooch as a friend basically same as Will ended up with Jack. Maybe friends since grade or high school, perhaps college, but what not a big deal back then becomes annoying in a grown ass man.

Gang goes out for a meal, the mooch cannot pay his end, so you cover. Every other week or month there is some sort of financial drama (can't pay rent or whatever), so is looking for a touch. Wants to tag along on a trip to Paris, France or whatever, but can barely afford air fare, then spends balance of trip broke so always asking for money. In the end you've lent "Jack" so much money over the years it becomes some sort of nasty co-dependency. You want and should cut him off, but then feel guilty about what surely will likely happen (penury).

You want to say away from people with complicated and nasty financial lives. Like a drowning man they will take you down with them if you get too involved.

by Anonymousreply 305February 26, 2021 11:16 PM

Even if Tom Ford is good friends with ALT, I don’t see any reason why he should gift him $1M.

by Anonymousreply 306February 26, 2021 11:20 PM

The elephant in the room is how can this elephant in the room be such a pretentious phony when his own finances are straight mess? I can’t kick him while he’s down for overspending, over-eating and overstating his stature as a pioneer of diversity in fashion, not because of sympathy, but only because I might lose my shoe in layers of velvet and gristle, or trenches of chiffon, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 307February 26, 2021 11:21 PM

And his follow up book: The Taffeta RV

by Anonymousreply 308February 26, 2021 11:25 PM

R297, I love the fact that the monthly maintenance includes a “cesspool”. Of course, who wouldn’t have a cesspool on their property ?

by Anonymousreply 309February 26, 2021 11:32 PM

R309

Actually septic tanks and cesspools are still rather common in many areas of NY, NJ, Conn....

Properties were developed before municipal sewer lines were installed, and or there simply aren't any so everyone is on septic or has a cesspool.

City of New York is only now finally installing sewer systems in parts of Staten Island that were long developed but city never put in sewers. Super Storm Sandy exposed how badly things flood, so that lit a fire under city as well.

There are parts of Queens (IIRC) that also lack municipal sewer system/storm drains, that are gradually getting as well.

IIRC house ALT is living in was built around 1850, so yes, it isn't odd at all property still has a cesspool.

Quick Google search turns up many, many companies that service cesspools or septic tanks in NY, with a good number that call on homes in Greenberg and surrounding area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310February 26, 2021 11:42 PM

[quote] You want to say away from people with complicated and nasty financial lives. Like a drowning man they will take you down with them if you get too involved.

Except that the "mooch" is one of the editors of the most powerful fashion magazine in the world, and you sell fashion shit.

It's cheaper to do little favors for the mooch (if you personally are worth $250 million, like Tom Ford is, and personally own a large portion of your company) and get free coverage in the most powerful fashion magazine with the highest per page advertising.

by Anonymousreply 311February 27, 2021 3:18 AM

Interview with The Guardian (UK) last May.

[quote] He couldn’t afford more stuff now anyway; instead of being chauffeured everywhere as he was in his pomp, a friend called "Chad" gives him lifts to the supermarket.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312February 27, 2021 4:52 AM

I never thought the one friend who would see anyone through their last sad years would be named Chad.

by Anonymousreply 313February 27, 2021 5:26 AM

Is the house named Talley’s Folly?

by Anonymousreply 314February 27, 2021 5:39 AM

I read the Guardian article, this is why they hate us.

by Anonymousreply 315February 27, 2021 5:47 AM

I read the article, too. Nice of Anna to get him the interest free loan on his grandmother's house.

by Anonymousreply 316February 27, 2021 5:48 AM

I worked for a Property Management Company. Deadbeat renters are the worst. We had a tenant being evicted and he had a fixtures sale the weekend before his court date. He was selling everything out of the house : chandeliers, Koi from the pond, doors,---you name it. We called the police and they said it was a "civil matter". I was actually the guy who served him his eviction notice weeks before and he ripped it up and threw it in my face. Deadbeat renters who know you cannot recover damages just do not care about anything.

by Anonymousreply 317February 27, 2021 6:02 AM

Perhaps this is karma for dressing a shoe-in Oscar winner in this beyond ugly ensemble. No wonder my family started killing each other. Would YOU want to be known as the sister to the girl who wore THAT to pick up her Academy Award????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318February 27, 2021 6:25 AM

Reading that exhausting Guardian article several things become clear.

First in many ways ALT is sort of fashion dinosaur. He keeps living in the past era of "the Swans" and great ladies who loved and bought couture that are now all mostly dead. So much about fashion world from couture on down has changed in past few decades. She may not be the most warm and cuddly woman on earth, but Anna Wintour has kept her job because she understands this, and moves with the times.

As stated previously in this thread publishing does not pay well at all, especially at lower rungs. There is a reason why mags like Vogue have legions of assistants, junior editors and whatever who are sons and daughters of well off to wealthy and connected families. You can't live in Manhattan or anywhere else in NYC on a salary of less than $39k per year. ALT was told off the bat when he first started at Vogue that most of his peers had "other sources of income".

You'd think coming from a poor background Miss. Ghurl would sock away as much of her pay as possible. But no, she went out and bought tons of LV cases and other shit that now clutters up his "homes", that is where money went and is tied up in.

Karl Largerfeld was 85 when he died but still was relevant and in demand because he worked damn hard at being so.

Those twenty something influencers ALT seems to despise are racking in more money per year than himself because they've got something to offer, and people are buying.

by Anonymousreply 319February 27, 2021 6:55 AM

Lagerfeld had money because he was a designer, not a glorified reporter.

by Anonymousreply 320February 27, 2021 11:52 AM

^. Have they ever published the content of Lagerfeld’s will? Besides the cat of course.

by Anonymousreply 321February 27, 2021 11:57 AM

I guess he never understood that he was just the eunuch of the harem, a living lawn jockey trotted out by lily white Conde Nast to seem edgy. That Anna and others actually staged an intervention to help him lose weight suggests he curried more empathy than most who weren't actual talent. For all his belly aching about what other people owe him, from jobs to money to houses, he has yet to explain what he has ever given anybody else.

In the words of future poet laureate/rapper Trina, "Don't grow to be a dumb ho, that's a no-no / See if you off the chains / Stay ahead of the game, save up buy a condo"

by Anonymousreply 322February 27, 2021 1:30 PM

Bad comparisons, R322. He has a degree in French and is knowledgeable about fashion; working with Diana Vreeland in young years gave him (almost) lifelong relevance in high fashion. He wasn't just some court jester; he was qualified for his job (such as the job of a contributing editor or editor-at-large at Vogue is).

He should accept that high fashion, or at least Vogue, no longer needs someone with his skill set and profile; American Vogue is full of Kardashians/Jenners/Hadids and fat women. Strange that someone so attuned to style would be going out in such a poor fashion.

by Anonymousreply 323February 27, 2021 1:54 PM

Reading through this thread, it sounds like he is a massive asshole overall.

by Anonymousreply 324February 27, 2021 2:10 PM

If he were smart instead of whining he'd be writing, teaching, giving lectures, involved in some kind of fashion TV thing as a judge etc. All kinds of possibilities to make a good living and keep some fame going.

He should have kept his mouth shut, lost some weight and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 325February 27, 2021 3:08 PM

R325

ALT is in his early 70's and does not have sort of secure finances that would allow him to just teach. Well not at rates he would likely be offered, we're not talking Obama speaking fees here, but likely standard scale rates.

His books have pretty much said everything he is going to say on certain matters. Don't think people are going to pay insane sums to hear him do so again in person. Yes, his knowledge of fashion, couture etc.... is good to great. But there are dozens if not scores of professors or teachers at places like FIT that know exactly same thing.

Fashion is all about reinventing oneself to keep relevant with the times. Designer, director or editor at a fashion mag, it doesn't make a difference. You've got to keep your fingers on that pulse, and quite honestly try to keep ahead of trends.

Tom Ford knows how to handle his shit, but you don't see him finding a place for his good "friend" ALT in his empire. ALT is stuck living in the past, and won't let it go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326February 27, 2021 3:23 PM

R326 Agreed

by Anonymousreply 327February 27, 2021 3:32 PM

R321

No, things are still being sorted. I mean a will of sorts has been found but Karl Largerfeld's estate still hasn't been settled.

However Sébastian Jondeau KL's personal assistant, bodyguard, chauffeur and perhaps more is first out of the gate with a new book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328March 1, 2021 11:22 AM

Was KL even that close to ALT in a real way?

When ALT's documentary came out, I remember Andre being miffed that Karl had refused to be interviewed for it.

by Anonymousreply 329March 1, 2021 11:44 AM

R329

Take it for what you will.....

"Karl Lagerfeld is an incredibly generous friend: Talley's beloved grandmother and his mentor Diana Vreeland passed away just months apart, making the following holiday season incredibly difficult. Lagerfeld, who had also experienced a profound personal loss when his lover Jacques de Bascher died of AIDS that same year, sent Talley a ticket for the Concorde on Christmas Eve. Lagerfeld's driver picked Talley up in Paris and drove him to his country house, where the two spent the holiday keeping each other's spirits up.

Of course, that's not all the designer did for Talley: He presented the editor with a Faberge pen, detailed with his initials in diamonds.

"It's wonderful to have friends like Karl," Talley told Mallis. "When I turned 50, he gave me $50,000." ("And I NEVER slept with him!" he added laughing.)"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330March 1, 2021 12:49 PM

Also from above link:

"I read his new memoir, The Chiffon Trenches, in one hot weekend, barely able to put it down. The writing is deliciously good, and, as a narrator, Talley is both incisive and dizzyingly unreliable, which adds to the fun. A previous memoir, ALT, published in 2003, often felt hamstrung by professional loyalties: “I had to bite my tongue about certain people, for fear of reprisals,” he writes. There is no tongue-biting here. “This is not a bitchy tell-all,” he says, although some may disagree. Karl Lagerfeld, who died last year, was Talley’s close friend for 40 years and showered him with gifts, including $50,000 for his 50th birthday, because that’s how dandies roll. But in the book he is depicted as brilliant yet monstrous, capriciously dropping close friends for no reason (including, you won’t be surprised to learn, Talley)."

KL was a queer fish, you had to watch yourself closely and even then for no reason one day simply found yourself dropped. That cat, those few boys, and some others managed to have life long friendships with KL, others like ALT did not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331March 1, 2021 12:56 PM

I was watching a video on youtube from CATS, angelicalcats- one of the cats was played by a HUGE black man who looked just like ALT.

by Anonymousreply 332March 1, 2021 1:13 PM

i wonder if ALT EVER got laid.

I bet he liked the pretty white boys, but he had THREE strikes against him.

1) He was FAT 2) He was EFFEMINATE 3) He was BLACK

by Anonymousreply 333March 1, 2021 1:32 PM

Of course he did, probably one of the reasons why he is broke now.

by Anonymousreply 334March 1, 2021 1:58 PM

L'embarras de richesses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335March 1, 2021 6:04 PM

How did the relationship with ALT and Anna W. work? Did they ever meet in person and Anna endured ALT's awful halitosis, or did he have to pop in a mint right before he entered Anna's inner sanctum? Meaning that he was aware that his breath was atrocious, and he got a cheap thrill out of making underlings retch.

The basic problem is that you should always be kind to the people you meet while you rise to the top, because you'll meet them again on your way down. Oh, and stay within your budget.

by Anonymousreply 336March 1, 2021 7:00 PM

I’m the one who spent the worst, most cringe-worthy, evening at a dinner party where ALT, grunted and galumphed in, a good 45 minutes late, waving his hands all about as if he was fanning away a putrid smell....He plopped himself down at his place (directly across from me) and was served his plate (by the hostess, this was NOT a super fancy party)....he promptly picked the entire plate up and SMELLED IT, wrinkling his large nose, and rolling his “expressive” eyes.....he then began talking to this poor woman (An Hermés executive, who looked TRAPPED) in FRENCH, ignoring everyone else at the table. It was horrifying. He ate ALL the food, chewing loudly with his mouth open, despite the haughty theatrics when he sat down. The hostess was visibly upset, and a famous jewelry designer, (known for their own odd career....whats’s fact?? what’s fabrication??????) smirked in a corner....this was SO awkward. I know I have told this story here before, but I do believe NOW it deserves to be FLESHED OUT...😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 337March 1, 2021 8:18 PM

Not always in a mumu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338March 1, 2021 10:12 PM

The muumuus didn't come along until about 100 years after that pic was taken.

by Anonymousreply 339March 1, 2021 10:26 PM

Is he on the street yet, like an impossibly lumpy carpet?

by Anonymousreply 340March 1, 2021 10:35 PM

R333, take out "black" (you obviously have no experience with models) and replace it with "cheap/no money."

by Anonymousreply 341March 1, 2021 10:37 PM

Pity George Plimpton isn't around to tape his autobiography like he did for Diana Vreeland.

by Anonymousreply 342March 1, 2021 10:37 PM

Andre will rather kill himself than go through the humiliation of having to move even to some place where he's still wanted (if such a place exists).

by Anonymousreply 343March 1, 2021 10:38 PM

The inevitable Go Fund Me

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344March 3, 2021 2:22 AM

Watch this segment from Wendy Williams show. This is from 4 years ago. Here he's fun, engaging, quick. He's interesting to listen to. Totally game. The silly pompous thing works. If he had gotten his act together I could imagine him with a steady TV gig. No?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345March 3, 2021 2:38 AM

Half a mil is a very steep crowdfunding goal for someone who doesn’t need urgent medical treatment or who hasn’t had some other life-threatening disaster befall him.

André was on Sandra Bernhard’s short-lived talk show years ago and he was weirdly imperious and humorless. It made me wonder if he’s on the autism spectrum. He would not engage in an actual back-and-forth conversation or banter with Sandra. Instead he just talked about what he wanted to talk about (18th century France if I remember correctly). Sandra kept trying to steer him towards other topics but he was impervious.

by Anonymousreply 346March 3, 2021 2:41 AM

uhhh ... If ALT still owns the house he secured for grandma down in Durham, NC, then instead of a GoFundMe money beg, how 'bout he sell that house? .. From what I can tell, various real estate websites, put the value of that house somewhere between $500,000 -$600,000.

(Unless, he's already been using that property as collateral for loans or something?)

by Anonymousreply 347March 3, 2021 3:20 AM

Yeah, this is ridiculous, there are people actually living on the street who are more deserving and in need of something like a Go Fund Me over this man.

by Anonymousreply 348March 3, 2021 3:23 AM

Why does this lard ass need $500k when his lawyers say they can prove he paid the money, and has a claim to the house? Even if he had a chance of raising that much money, he's essentially admitting that he shorted the landlords a half million dollars. The guy is a pretentious renter who stopped paying rent months or years ago, and the owners were trying to maintain a friendship by giving him a chance. Total grifter. He probably mortgaged the house down south to finance LV caftans.

by Anonymousreply 349March 3, 2021 3:37 AM

GURL the GoFundMe page says Anna Wintour donated $5 😂🤣💀

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350March 3, 2021 3:55 AM

R350 I saw that too. Hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351March 3, 2021 3:58 AM

Im not judging him for the GoFundMe page, you either donate or you don't. People start them all the time for all kinds of shit.

Like I said before some wealthy and generous person the industry will probably find out what's going on and give him the money NSA. Tyler Perry has done it for tons of people. I just dont think a lot people know about this because Andre is so specific to the gay and fashion communities.

by Anonymousreply 352March 3, 2021 4:01 AM

R334

I knew it, just knew a GFM page was going to be started for ALT's fat behind.

What a joke that guy is, and the idiots who are backing this mooch.

by Anonymousreply 353March 3, 2021 4:39 AM

Akeem Smith...

One wonders if ALT got to him or if idea was totally his own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354March 3, 2021 4:56 AM

They're both fond of caftans, so there's a common bond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355March 3, 2021 4:58 AM

[quote]... If ALT still owns the house he secured for grandma down in Durham, NC, then instead of a GoFundMe money beg, how 'bout he sell that house?

R347, I think your speculation about the NC house --secured through an interest free mortgage courtesy of some Wintour connection, no?-- is probably dead on.

Never having fully owned it, it could be beyond recovery if his finances are as big a disaster as they would appear.

by Anonymousreply 356March 3, 2021 7:36 AM

ALT wants or rather *needs* that house in Greenberg, NY as a base for his brand. More to the point as a grand place Miss. Ghurl can operate out of and prove to world she's something. No one is going down to North Carolina, and that includes those who inhabit world that matters most to ALT. Maybe if she had something along lines of Biltmore estate down there (fully staffed of course), that might be different.

That GFM scheme is telling. If ALT already paid for that house over years in rent and other payments, why does she need another $500k to fund purchase? If courts out of some bizarre reasoning decide house does indeed belong to ALT, does money raised by GFM have to be returned?

Makelmus and spouse (should they prove successful in court) should turn around and tell ALT if he wants the property their price is now $2.5 million USD. One and half million for house, another million to get back legal fees and other expenses, oh and yes, because he pissed them off.

by Anonymousreply 357March 3, 2021 8:33 AM

It's difficult to feel too very sympathetic to any of the parties. ALT was a moocher, but so were Makelmus & Co. For how many years did ALT punctuate every third sentence with "Manolo Blahnik"? ALT Lost his mouthpiece and Makelmus lost his deal with Blahnik and there was no need (nor venue) for a giant gas bag to carry on with his "brought to you by Manolo Blahnik" show.

Unless someone turns up some credible paperwork, they're all users and watching them get mutually burned doesn't pain me too terribly much, not enough to scramble to either side's defense fund.

by Anonymousreply 358March 3, 2021 8:46 AM

So let's say ALT scrounges up the money and pays his "fweinds" what they want. What happens when the property taxes are due? How is he going to be able to afford the day to day upkeep of a house when bitch doesn't even have a job? The utility bill alone must be a beast, especially in the winter and summer.

by Anonymousreply 359March 3, 2021 10:43 AM

Conde Nast has a pension plan.

by Anonymousreply 360March 3, 2021 11:18 AM

R358 that's this rat fuck in sum. Nice job.

by Anonymousreply 361March 3, 2021 2:24 PM

Like fuck would I give money to this asshole. He needs to lose weight pronto, in the Wendy Williams clip, he can barely walk.

by Anonymousreply 362March 3, 2021 2:50 PM

Ok so you KNOW the house probably has old man smell in it, one of my friends had cleaned and painted and still couldn’t get the stench out. I shudder to think what the bathroom looks like.

by Anonymousreply 363March 3, 2021 2:53 PM

He said that out of the 11 rooms in the home, he only used two of them (probably all he could afford to heat) so the smell factor may ok, except the closed-up rooms probably have black mold now. Tear down!

by Anonymousreply 364March 3, 2021 2:58 PM

There's the financial factor, R364, yes, but it's the physical mobility factor reigns supreme. He hasn't seen the upstairs of that house since he last saw his dick. The rest is it is so packed with shit that I'm sure he just tosses arms full of things into the other downstairs rooms, those for which he can still open the door without being buried in a mountain of SWAG debris.

Note that when interviewers arrive he calls out "Come in. I'm back here," because it's an afternoon's work to get off a sofa.

by Anonymousreply 365March 3, 2021 3:18 PM

I don't think an obese 70yo whale can lose weight. The skin would never recover and soon rot in all the dark dank layers.

by Anonymousreply 366March 3, 2021 3:24 PM

I anticipate him being on a Hoarders episode in 3-2-1.

by Anonymousreply 367March 3, 2021 3:29 PM

Can’t he have Kevin Sessums move in to spilt the costs and they can do a dailey podcast of two old bitter queens chatting for some income?

by Anonymousreply 368March 3, 2021 3:31 PM

Maybe he’ll find a solution

by Anonymousreply 369March 3, 2021 6:58 PM

He better not try to wear a kaftan to court. Only the judge gets to wear one of those.

by Anonymousreply 370March 3, 2021 7:27 PM

Nice to see Anna donating two of three times to the Gofundme--$5 each.

by Anonymousreply 371March 3, 2021 8:16 PM

When he enters the courtroom, I'd sugget a big hat with a veil and some sunglasses, designer, of course.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372March 3, 2021 8:22 PM

but you can put a fake name and donate right?

by Anonymousreply 373March 3, 2021 8:30 PM

What's with these people? I certainly wouldn't donate anything to anyone until hearing some more details about the case.

And could he even afford to pay the property taxes on this place? According to property shark they run about $24,000 a year now.

by Anonymousreply 374March 3, 2021 8:46 PM

I kind of want to donate $5 in the name of Karl Lagerfeld's Nightgown.

by Anonymousreply 375March 3, 2021 9:30 PM

We've donated!

Hamish Bowles, Grace Coddington, Carine Roitfeld

by Anonymousreply 376March 3, 2021 9:35 PM

I'd rather donate in the name of Lagerfeld's cat, who is worth millions. Poor ALT.

by Anonymousreply 377March 3, 2021 9:57 PM

a podcast with andre and our lady of small town hudson would be an unmitigated nightmare. Two bloviating gasbags

by Anonymousreply 378March 3, 2021 10:12 PM

Apparently he's not as beloved as he thinks he is, if this wee trickle of donations are any indication.

Earlier in the thread I brought up the question of how he would maintain that place should by some miracle he was able to pay for it and buy it in his name. Property taxes, utilities, general upkeep, not to mention his food bill.

Someone said Conde Nast has a pension. How much of a one? It would have to be pretty hefty, and do we even know he's eligible for it? Perhaps it wasn't offered to everyone. He's got social security income, but how much do you want to bet he didn't wait until he could take the max. amount? He probably snagged what he could at 62 and now he's a not so Starvin Marvin. Even if he did wait until 70 to start drawing it, it still only makes up approx 40 percent of what your income had been prior.

He is an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 379March 3, 2021 10:15 PM

He was supposed to get a radio show on SiriusXM back in 2017. Whatever happened to that?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380March 3, 2021 10:39 PM

R344

You ain't getting eighty-eight cents outta me Rose!

by Anonymousreply 381March 3, 2021 11:50 PM

R380 Makes sense it didn’t happen, fashion just does work well on the radio.

by Anonymousreply 382March 4, 2021 12:36 AM

You fools! When will you ever learn?

"On Wednesday, the page had raised $9,335. Talley also thanked Smith and “those who have contributed, I appreciate the thoughtful gesture and generosity, but it is completely unnecessary,” he said."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383March 4, 2021 12:47 AM

Yet he didn't request that it be taken down. But at least he's made sure to go on record for having everything in hand and well managed. *eyeroll*

by Anonymousreply 384March 4, 2021 1:06 AM

Except for the one anonymous donation of 2k, the donations are embarrassingly small.

by Anonymousreply 385March 4, 2021 1:06 AM

^ Maybe I should have given more than the 2K..

by Anonymousreply 386March 4, 2021 1:19 AM

The guy who started it may have put the 2K in to try to get the ball rolling.

by Anonymousreply 387March 4, 2021 1:23 AM

Would someone please explain to me what ALT's job was when he was working.

by Anonymousreply 388March 4, 2021 1:45 AM

r388 = Vogue Magazine

by Anonymousreply 389March 4, 2021 1:50 AM

What was his job at Vogue?

by Anonymousreply 390March 4, 2021 1:52 AM

ALT was first hired at Vogue as "Fashion News Director"

You can glean a bit of that job description from bit about new holder of job at link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391March 4, 2021 1:58 AM

ALT last two positions are Vogue were first creative director, then finally editor-at-large.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392March 4, 2021 2:00 AM

The litany of editors in publishing....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393March 4, 2021 2:02 AM

Creative director....

Keep in mind many of these titles are just that, actual job description and or duties can vary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394March 4, 2021 2:05 AM

[quote]ALT last two positions are Vogue were first creative director, then finally editor-at-large.

Large being the operative word.

by Anonymousreply 395March 4, 2021 2:28 AM

Whenever you’re something “at large”....they are getting ready to dump you.... Ask Simon Doonan ....😂

by Anonymousreply 396March 4, 2021 2:33 AM

Just knew that comment was coming......

by Anonymousreply 397March 4, 2021 2:33 AM

If you read his Vogue articles you quickly realised he was not especially talented. IMHO they were stodgy to read, and he didn't bring any blinding insights: all he brought to the game was a retentative fashion memory. Well, whoopy do. Every second fashionista has a parrot-like memory for dredging up recollections of the third gown in the summer collection of YSL in 1882 etc. etc.

He was certainly no Grace Coddington or Hamish Bowles. The only surprise to my mind is that he was tolerated as long as he was. I presume because at the time Vogue didn't have much diversity, and he was seen as a necessary counter.

by Anonymousreply 398March 4, 2021 2:37 AM

R379 et al

Again ATL does not have a very secure retirement. This was stated by himself numerous times and even mentioned in links posted above.

One of main reasons he and AW had a falling out (which lead to his departure from Vogue) was ALT asking for a raise. The man did so after looking around and realized he was not where the thought should be for a man his age and near "retirement".

by Anonymousreply 399March 4, 2021 2:37 AM

R385

Even if one donated only $10 USD would be asking for a refund after ALT basically told his supporters to fuck off. Such wicked ingratitude......

by Anonymousreply 400March 4, 2021 3:29 AM

I’ll be curious to see their response to his complaint. It’s really hard for a renter to say I own the building.

by Anonymousreply 401March 4, 2021 3:48 AM

What crust!

"Weinick also noted that Talley had posted a statement about the GoFundMe page on his Instagram. Beneath a black-and-white photo of a relaxed-looking Talley seated in a tuxedo, he posted thanks for the “outpouring of love and concern. I am healthy in mind and spirit and am quite grateful for the many messages from dear friends and extended community.”

After plugging his memoir “The Chiffon Trenches” to his 319,000 followers, Talley wrote, “The matter we are dealing with is unfortunate, but will be handled by my very capable legal team at this time.”

Talley also told Smith, the people who put up the GoFundMe and those who have contributed, “I appreciate the thoughtful gesture and generosity, but it is completely unnecessary.” The image had 20,939 likes as of Wednesday night."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 402March 4, 2021 3:59 AM

I think he is lying that they ever said he would own the house.

by Anonymousreply 403March 4, 2021 4:03 AM

He must have some money...he sold a bunch of his books, maybe not many, but I'm sure he received several hundred thousand dollars for that. It was on the NYT Bestsellers list, and it wasn't a vanity press.

by Anonymousreply 404March 4, 2021 4:17 AM

Yes! He should have made some money from his tell-all (about Anna Wintour, at least) book. What the hell?

by Anonymousreply 405March 4, 2021 4:35 AM

r403, why would he lie? that makes no sense. What would he have to gain?

by Anonymousreply 406March 4, 2021 4:36 AM

Buy another one you rich motherfucker

by Anonymousreply 407March 4, 2021 4:39 AM

Someone must have gotten in his ear about what a bad--and at the snail pace of the dough coming in, EMBARRASSING--look this is because....

Updates (1) TODAY by Akeem Smith, Organizer Hi Donors,

Thank you soo much for working so swiftly on spreading the word, donating your time and money. I spoke to Andre's manager and we have concluded the best thing to do right now is return the donated funds.

So right now I'm in the process of getting the funds donated. The link still has to be up, until the refund process is complete. So please don't donate anymore funds.

Please be safe during this pandemic and your well wishes have not gone unnoticed

Love & Respect, Akeem

by Anonymousreply 408March 4, 2021 4:41 AM

Money from GFM is taxable, and if he's on Social Security, showing that much income will reduce whatever amount he's getting. And if he's in trouble with the IRS, they're going to snatch the cash before he can get his plump little fingers around it, AND tax the income.

by Anonymousreply 409March 4, 2021 4:48 AM

R408

Just goes to show no good deed goes unpunished. Madame Talley has said "how kind, but no thank you" which put Akeem Smith in a tight spot. What do you say to people after a well meaning effort is publicly dismissed by intended recipient of said charity?

Mr. Smith just got his fingers burned, but all in all had a very lucky escape.

by Anonymousreply 410March 4, 2021 5:02 AM

I thought he was besties with Tina Turner, maybe she has a guest room in Zurich.

by Anonymousreply 411March 4, 2021 5:07 AM

Yes, but why would he have started a GFE me for someone for that amount of money, and for that reason, without talking with the person first? Maybe wannabe artist tried to jump on the coat tails of wannabee fashion whatever.

by Anonymousreply 412March 4, 2021 5:09 AM

GFM...sorry can't type.

by Anonymousreply 413March 4, 2021 5:10 AM

[quote] Just goes to show no good deed goes unpunished

Dumbass should have spoken to ALT and/or his manager BEFORE putting up a GoFundMe.

by Anonymousreply 414March 4, 2021 6:39 PM

He should keep some of that GoFundMe money so he can finally give "Chad" some gas money for taking him to the supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 415March 4, 2021 8:41 PM

Given his history, I doubt he would turn down money--"Karl Lagerfeld gave me 50,000 for my birthday!!!" "Darling, I just need you to buy my car from me and keep it my name so it doesn't get seized to cover my credit cards, m-kay?"

I bet the issue is that the money didn't pour in. After a few days, only 9k from people mostly giving 5 or 10, is just fucking embarrassing. Had it been anywhere near what was being asked, there would be no refunds. To take 9,000 makes him look poor. (Which he is, but doesn't want to admit.) He needs big money from his "friends" who have big money; not dollars from well-meaning broke people who like his show.

by Anonymousreply 416March 4, 2021 9:45 PM

Well, if he were to win the lawsuit, the $11K already raised could help him pay the estimated $25K annual property tax bill.

I'm assuming "the landlord" has been paying those "little things" like property tax and insurance.

by Anonymousreply 417March 4, 2021 10:00 PM

“I don’t know all of the financial situations. I didn’t feel like he needed to be on one leg in order to get help, especially when there are a lot of other frivolous GoFundMe’s. He’s an elder,” Smith told Page Six.

“I am a black gay person, and I can’t name five black and Latino gay males over 65 off the top of my head. He’s just the elder in that way … I wanted to show [that] if something were to happen to another elder, [that] as a community — not just black people, but creatives overall — we respect our elders and we are always here to help.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418March 4, 2021 11:20 PM

Does this man wear anything besides that down comforter or has he outgrown it all? Is there even anything underneath? I mean just how large can you buy underwear?

by Anonymousreply 419March 4, 2021 11:46 PM

R419 I've seen men's underwear that goes up to 6XLT! .. The "T" would be for someone "Tall" like him.) I believe that size is for a 60" waist. And apparently 8XLT actually exists. Per size guides, that would be for a 70" waist! Guessing that would be at Big & Tall type stores and/or online.

by Anonymousreply 420March 5, 2021 12:21 AM

R409

Money received from GFM other than for goods or services are *NOT* subject to federal and most state taxation. Such funds are considered a "gift", and treated accordingly for tax purposes.

Also since GFM is not earned income not exactly sure how it would affect anyone receiving Social Security or other government payments. For things like welfare or whatever there are distinctions between earned and unearned income along with assets. If you want to go on Medicaid and have $500k in cash sitting around, then there might be some problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421March 5, 2021 12:42 AM

Why would he lie? Because he is broke and wants to keep a house he doesn’t own.

by Anonymousreply 422March 5, 2021 12:45 AM

He's bad with money. This arrangement is too vague, no one knows who paid for what. Talley had the GoFundMe removed and the donations returned. He is not tacky or on the grift.

by Anonymousreply 423March 5, 2021 1:21 AM

r420, that's absurd, and frankly I don't believe those sizes exist. I'd guess Talley has a 42-44" waist.

by Anonymousreply 424March 5, 2021 1:48 AM

Lol...his waist is AT LEAST 60, if not more. 44 is just fat, not morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 425March 5, 2021 2:00 AM

He’s a monster in person. Huge. Huge face. Eyes that GLARE....janky teeth, and the breath issue has been mentioned ... a size 60 waist seems accurate.

by Anonymousreply 426March 5, 2021 4:10 AM

Talley’s folly continues.

by Anonymousreply 427March 5, 2021 4:48 AM

[quote]Lol...his waist is AT LEAST 60, if not more. 44 is just fat, not morbidly obese.

In other words, sadly, he has no hope of ever looking good in a pair of white stretch pants. I'll never understand how people can just let themselves go like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428March 5, 2021 5:09 AM

[quote] That's absurd, and frankly I don't believe those sizes exist.

R424 Let me introduce you to BigDude.com .. LOL! There's a size guide within each of these underwear selections showing that 8XL = 68 - 70 inches.

Heaven help anyone who's 72 inches and above. Maybe they can use parachutes?

Anyway, I remember going inside some big & tall retail store in Hawaii once (where there a lot of BIG Polynesian guys) and seeing such items first hand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429March 5, 2021 5:10 AM

Can we just stop the fat shaming. It isn’t a good look on any of you. I’ve been very fat, chubby & slim. Obviously I prefer to be slim and healthy but I also was fat and fit while jogging 10k a week. Being overweight feels horrible so I never shame or tease others even here. With so many other ways to be amusing, let’s try to avoid shaming others for physical issues.

by Anonymousreply 430March 5, 2021 2:27 PM

Talley is not being shamed because he's fat, he's being shamed because he's a fat asshole.

by Anonymousreply 431March 5, 2021 2:30 PM

[quote] I also was fat and fit while jogging 10k a week.

That's less than 1 mile per day.

by Anonymousreply 432March 5, 2021 4:08 PM

That's also a mile per day more than most DLers, regardless of whether they're a fat or not, so good for him. It would be great if everybody did that.

by Anonymousreply 433March 5, 2021 5:24 PM

If I contribute some serious cash will he guarantee to go away? I find him to be exhausting although a mutual friend thinks a great deal of him.

by Anonymousreply 434March 5, 2021 6:41 PM

Details R25, why does he claim to be "fluid" according to wiki but refuses to come out as bisexual or gay? Didn't he go bankrupt twice?

by Anonymousreply 435March 5, 2021 6:47 PM

I guarantee you ALT is a narcissist and user of people. His body language in the above picture on OP's link gives it away but narcissists do weird things with their hands/faces and body language, and it is not being queenie/femme/camp. If you have seen pictures of Edmund White he does the EXACT same thing.

by Anonymousreply 436March 5, 2021 6:52 PM

Can you be a narcissist and be so self-destructive that you allow yourself to become morbidly obese?

I thought one of the hallmarks of narcissism was obsession with one's own health/fitness/looks. (All the narcissists I know are really good-looking people.)

by Anonymousreply 437March 5, 2021 8:12 PM

R437 Donald Trump is morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 438March 5, 2021 8:20 PM

Orson Welles has been called a narcissist as well, and look what he took to wearing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 439March 5, 2021 9:04 PM

Narcissist in a Caftan should be the title of his next memoir.

by Anonymousreply 440March 5, 2021 9:31 PM

R438 and R439,

You got me.

by Anonymousreply 441March 5, 2021 10:05 PM

R438--but wait! Didn't DT get his scalp sewn in half (or something?) because he didn't want to look bald?

I guess one can be overly obsessed with one's looks without the outside world even realizing it.

by Anonymousreply 442March 5, 2021 10:06 PM

R442 Yes, but I think narcissists live in their own own reality, so see what they want to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443March 5, 2021 10:23 PM

He must also make something for being "the new face of Ugg."

Or maybe they're just going to give him free Uggs for life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444March 6, 2021 7:18 AM

How did Edmund White get dragged into this? I knew Edmund pretty well years ago and he's funny and charming and game and a WORKER and I wouldn't say he's much of a narcissist, at least not problematically.

by Anonymousreply 445March 6, 2021 11:35 AM

R440 No, no...Caftan in a Trashcan

by Anonymousreply 446March 6, 2021 1:18 PM

He would be such a fun new character for Kenan to play on SNL, but he’s probably to unknown outside of gay, NYC fashion circles to be featured.

by Anonymousreply 447March 6, 2021 1:38 PM

This really is stupid. Move back to Durham with your granny, entitled cunt!

by Anonymousreply 448March 6, 2021 1:44 PM

No way his granny is alive.

by Anonymousreply 449March 6, 2021 4:44 PM

No mention has been made of that house in NC, so it may not be in the picture anymore.

by Anonymousreply 450March 6, 2021 5:06 PM

Orson Welles died broke too. Bogdanovich took him in.

I just read his book a few weeks ago, and the name dropping was insane! btw, Granny's had her home going already, and he rhapsodizes about how much he splurged on a blanket of white roses for her casket.

by Anonymousreply 451March 6, 2021 5:31 PM

I wonder who that was supposed to impress...I don't imagine Granny much cared.

by Anonymousreply 452March 6, 2021 5:43 PM

I believe the unfortunately named Reverend Calvin Butts - he is mentioned repeatedly throughout the book, as well as listed on the "Men's Best Dressed" list at the end!

by Anonymousreply 453March 6, 2021 6:25 PM

R450 According to this 2019 article that profiled a trip he took to Durham, he still owned the house at that time. It's not too hard to find the home's address, and real estate sites don't show any sales activity for it. Since it was some kind of perk from his one-time employer (?), it would be interesting to know what the actual deed says. If the property is really his to do with what he wants, then one would think he'd at least be renting it out now for income. The property taxes, insurance, and some minimal maintenance on it would still have to be paid. (Estimates put it's value in the $500k - $600K range.)

[quote] The Durham trip wasn’t easy for André. He loves Durham—it’s in his soul; it’s in his heart—but I think there are painful memories there. His beloved grandmother who raised him—he still owns and maintains her home there—passed away many years ago. One of the most difficult shoots was when he returned to her house and spoke about the difficulty of that loss. But it was one of the most important and poignant moments of the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454March 6, 2021 7:38 PM

"page not found," R454

by Anonymousreply 455March 6, 2021 9:38 PM

According to Tim Gunn:

[quote] Gunn also claims he once saw André Leon Talley in a likewise [comparing to Anna Wintour] ridiculous capacity, at a panel discussion taking place at the New York Public Library.

[quote] “When we return to the green room, we see that someone has spread a translucent barber’s bib over Andre and he’s reclining, his arms at his sides. He’s being fed grapes and cubes of cheese one by one, like a bird in a nest.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456March 6, 2021 9:49 PM

A fashion magazine editor needs multiple bodyguards?

by Anonymousreply 457March 6, 2021 9:55 PM

R455 The link address I put in appears correct, but it looks like the "IndyWeek" call for contributions to keep the site running has an automatic pop-up that blocks hot links.

Anyway, if you want to read the article, try the more general link below where the Talley article is the second one listed. If that doesn't work, then copy the title of the article (below) and put it in the google search box:

Fashion Icon André Leon Talley Returns to Durham to Sift Through Memories Both Poignant and Painful In The Gospel According to André

by Anonymousreply 458March 6, 2021 10:10 PM

R455 The new link wasn't taken by DL, so if still interested, try the google title search I suggested.

by Anonymousreply 459March 6, 2021 10:26 PM

I have to say- I dig real masculine men.

But I love ALT.

Sorry. I just love his ability to be HIM. No apologies.

I admire his over the top-ness and outlandishness.

I watched his little documentary, and loved him even more.

I wish him well!

Very surprised that Anna dropped him like that.. (And I have no idea why)

The bitch lives in MASTIC NY for cunts sake!

by Anonymousreply 460March 6, 2021 10:54 PM

Dropped him like what?

He quit Vogue. He left to work for another magazine.

What was she supposed to do?

by Anonymousreply 461March 6, 2021 11:22 PM

[quote]Dropped him like what?

Like it's hot.

by Anonymousreply 462March 7, 2021 2:14 AM

R449

Grandmother died long time ago, ALT mostly uses that NC home as storage space and or for the odd times he hauls his obese and aged carcass down south.

by Anonymousreply 463March 7, 2021 4:02 AM

In many ways employer/employee relationships are not that unlike personal ones. When you bring your game up to demand something better be sure where you stand first.

ALT likely was on the way out with AW and Vogue before asking for that raise if he did but know it. AW saying "no" and her subsequent cooling towards ALT (so says he), is keeping with what the man himself stated; he was for various reasons not what Vogue wanted or needed so few tears were likely shed in certain quarters at his departure. ALT should have taken the hint when someone else was given that plumb assignment of doing Met gala that year.

While obviously fiction AB FAB got much right about world of fashion, publishing and public relations. Just like Magda alone was offered to move on (and up) to a mag in NYC, ALT would have been snapped up by another big player when he left Vogue. If not a magazine then one of the fashion houses or major conglomerates that own all of them such as LVMH would have made room.

by Anonymousreply 464March 7, 2021 4:31 AM

[quote] ALT likely was on the way out with AW and Vogue before asking for that raise if he did but know it. AW saying "no" and her subsequent cooling towards ALT (so says he), is keeping with what the man himself stated; he was for various reasons not what Vogue wanted or needed

The thing is--and ALT seems not to realize this--that the entire publishing industry collapsed along with (and because of) the 2008-2010 recession. Many, many magazines went out of business, and the ones that did survive are slimmer and have fewer staff. If you all remember the September Issue documentary with the fattest magazine of Vogue ever published (I think it was over 700 pages), that was the LAST SHOUT of Vogue. Just watch that documentary and see how many truly talented top people either left Vogue or exist in much diminished (and demoted) statue.

The second and final nail on the coffin was the emergence of the fashion bloggers--now instagram "influencers"--who have all figured out they could take professional-looking photos without a world famous photographer and a 100k Hasselblad. The fashion houses have flocked to these people to place their ads because it's cheaper and faster.

Vogue will never be what it was before 2010. And just as all the mags were hemorrhaging money and people, ALT decided he deserved MORE money than he was making when Vogue was flush. If he didn't realize that wasn't going to happen, he's truly a moron.

by Anonymousreply 465March 7, 2021 2:01 PM

I keep reading this as "Andre Leon Talley fights erection".

by Anonymousreply 466March 7, 2021 2:04 PM

Perhaps he has a future as a Cialis spokesperson R446?

by Anonymousreply 467March 7, 2021 2:06 PM

Or an ED Influencer?

by Anonymousreply 468March 7, 2021 2:57 PM

I can’t believe Ugg is paying him to promote their product. Does this make you want to run out and buy these things? He looks grotesque.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469March 7, 2021 5:30 PM

He looks like he's incognito as a Sherman Tank.

by Anonymousreply 470March 7, 2021 5:47 PM

He looks like he's incognito as a Sherman Tank.

by Anonymousreply 471March 7, 2021 5:47 PM

Well he ain’t gonna be styling and selling no Manola Blahniks that’s for sure.

by Anonymousreply 472March 7, 2021 5:52 PM

Updates!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473March 7, 2021 6:01 PM

[quote] Grandmother died long time ago, ALT mostly uses that NC home as storage space ...

Hoarder as well? I would love to help him downsize his life. Sell off some Louis Vuitton, vintage stuff, etc.

What a burden to live in the past like that. I have to remind myself of the same things.

by Anonymousreply 474March 7, 2021 6:05 PM

[quote] Hoarder as well?

Maybe that's why he can only use two of the eleven rooms in the house .. lol.

And does he keep all those kaftans, robes, and capes? .. Like a designer gown, it doesn't appear that he's ever seen wearing the same one more than once. .. I can imagine them taking up A LOT of space.

The yard sale could be interesting. .. Maybe someone could film it for a new documentary.

by Anonymousreply 475March 7, 2021 8:59 PM

FYI, above, ALT was snapped up after vogue. He got a couple million bucks from some Russian fashion magazine, probably a vanity project of some oligarch trophy wife. And it didn't pan out for ALT.

by Anonymousreply 476March 7, 2021 11:15 PM

The only new thing I see of interest in that most recent Page 6 article relates to this:

[quote] This week, Malkemus and Yurgaitis fired back with a new counter claim in Supreme Court saying, “Despite making periodic rent payments through the years, Plaintiff fell drastically behind, failing not only to pay the $6,333.33 per month rent, but also failing to pay the real estate taxes and insurance,” adding the alleged amount Talley owes is $362,323.48.

Since M & Y appear to be the owners of record, they'd be receiving the real estate tax bills. Does this imply that they'd then forward these bills to ALT for payment or expect him to reimburse them for these payments? If so, I would think this might actually bolster ALT's position that he's more than a tenant, because tenants don't pay property tax bills.

by Anonymousreply 477March 8, 2021 1:36 AM

[quote] But this whole show feels like a commercial to promote the media deals they have coming up.

What’s wrong with that? This is America honey. There is no shame in promoting oneself, especially since they have been treated so poorly.

by Anonymousreply 478March 8, 2021 1:48 AM

^^Yup. They do not.

by Anonymousreply 479March 8, 2021 1:49 AM

Update in R473 in whole or part was posted previously after Malkemus and Yurgaitis filed their latest legal papers earlier this week. There's really nothing new (unless one has access to court filings and wants to read entire filing), nor will be until both sides move to deposition stage. That is where things will start to get interesting as each side presents their version of facts along with supporting evidence.

Don't know how much Miss. Ghurl has in way of money for legal bills, but ALT may regret turning down that GFM money. This thing could drag on through the courts for some time, in which case there will be a large accumulation of billable hours.

by Anonymousreply 480March 8, 2021 2:05 AM

Once it becomes a court case, that staves off any eviction right? And the way things are going this could be tied up for years, and he’s obviously not going to be paying them anything in the interim. Maybe he’s just hoping this bides him enough time in his house to see out his final days and leave the mess to be cleaned up by others after he’s gone. You can’t get blood from a stone.

by Anonymousreply 481March 8, 2021 11:26 AM

There have been various residential and commercial eviction moratoriums in New York going back to March due to covid.

However don't know if current version which lasts until May Day would help ALT if he does not prevail in court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 482March 8, 2021 1:40 PM

R482 Yet how does one prove "hardship", if they own a $500,000+ asset at their disposal down in North Carolina?

by Anonymousreply 483March 8, 2021 8:11 PM

A home is an asset, not income.

by Anonymousreply 484March 8, 2021 9:21 PM

An asset that one can sell or get a loan against to pay debts.

by Anonymousreply 485March 8, 2021 9:25 PM

From New York Post link above, as they seem to be the only NYC news media that gives a damn about these three gays squabbling over a house.

"This week, Malkemus and Yurgaitis fired back with a new counter claim in Supreme Court saying, “Despite making periodic rent payments through the years, Plaintiff fell drastically behind, failing not only to pay the $6,333.33 per month rent, but also failing to pay the real estate taxes and insurance,” adding the alleged amount Talley owes is $362,323.48.

If anyone could afford to pay $6,500 per month in "rent" they are a fool instead of buying a property. Worse this agreement meant ALT was also supposed to pay property taxes, insurance, etc.....

Could see doing this sort of deal for a temporary home, but over period of many years? That's just nuts.

by Anonymousreply 486March 9, 2021 5:06 AM

I get that Black people and getting loans or credit can be a fucked up situation because of institutional racism, I just saw a whole book written on the history, but do we know what the details surrounding ALT and his inability to get a car loan and then a house loan? And if he was smart, he would really start weaving this into some BLM issues and exposing it and becoming the poster child for the situations Black people get into because of their lack of access. The time is ripe for him to get sympathy on this matter and expose it. One key way would to go back and prove when and where he bought his house that it was almost impossible for Black people to buy there and he needed a white person on the mortgage if he was ever going to get that house. There were definitely areas of Westchester that had unwritten laws like that for decades. I recall something like that happening in the 60s or 70s where I lived in Tarrytown, and the outcome was they had to build low income affordable housing as a punishment. Unincorporated areas of Greenburg may be harder to prove, but maybe using the overview of the whole county and it’s issues might be justification enough.

by Anonymousreply 487March 9, 2021 7:58 AM

R487 Here again, I just started to research this and this article covers much of that history and how it persists. He should really be framing his defense on the racist situations that impede Blacks from home ownership and the traps they fall into when trying to subvert it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488March 9, 2021 8:09 AM

R487 Read the NYT article linked to at R237. He couldn't get a mortgage because he was bad with money (more than one bankruptcy) and not paying his income taxes.

by Anonymousreply 489March 9, 2021 8:34 AM

R488

What is it with you people and need to trot out same tiresome arguments each time financial difficulty occurs?

It's always someone else's fault, and or obviously due to racism or discrimination that some how, some how a POC cannot pay bills on time.

Dredging up some ten year old ProPublica article isn't going to assist ALT's case, nor has anything to do with his situation.

No one in White Plains had any problems with a black man buying that house, ALT himself just couldn't afford to do so, and thanks to various financial along with legal entanglements was not free to do so either. No one is evicting ALT because of his race, but fact he owes hundreds of thousands in back rent.

by Anonymousreply 490March 9, 2021 11:31 AM

there IS a history of “fashion people” who think they’re above paying income tax... I can think of one VERY FAMOUS jewelry designer who doesn’t DARE step foot in America. They’ll be thrown in jail immediately for MILLIONS in back taxes.

by Anonymousreply 491March 9, 2021 7:38 PM

I wonder if ALT has EVER gotten laid?

by Anonymousreply 492March 9, 2021 7:48 PM

R492 he talks about it in his book. He tried a few times when he was younger (and thin) but his childhood sexual abuse made it impossible for him to enjoy.

So these guys were forwarding him their property tax bills but are still claiming he wasn’t intended to be the owner?

by Anonymousreply 493March 9, 2021 7:52 PM

Speaking of income taxes, the parties involved may have have to submit theirs if certain claims are to be proven or disproven. e.g. If Malkemus& Yurgaitis say Talley is a "tenant," did they report his payments to them as rental income? .. Similarly, if Talley was supposed to pay the property tax did he itemize these payments and claim them as a deduction on his?

by Anonymousreply 494March 9, 2021 7:52 PM

I suspect they intended for him to be the owner, BUT became increasingly pissed off over the year when he wouldn't pay the mortgage, and they had to cover for him. If they were a bank, they would have foreclosed on him. They should sell and split the money.

by Anonymousreply 495March 9, 2021 9:48 PM

R493

It is fairly common at least in New York for both domestic and commercial lease agreements to have tenant pay all or portion of property taxes.

When you get down to it renters always are paying landlord's taxes, it's just baked into monthly rent payments. Other way around tenant at least has some idea of where his money is going.

As it relates to ALT he clearly wanted that house at any cost and was willing to do almost anything for that deal to happen.

by Anonymousreply 496March 10, 2021 3:52 AM

Sister Al Reynolds READS Mother Talley for filth!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 497March 10, 2021 4:00 AM

He really looks like if you were to stab him he would pop like a balloon, possibly even flying around the room until completely deflated.

by Anonymousreply 498March 10, 2021 4:13 AM

R495, yes--we have triple net here in Florida for commercial leases, but I have never heard of that in housing.

In NY, when residential renters agree to pay for prop tax, is that usually on an expensive property or a lower-end property? (Or, maybe my question would be better phrased, what kind of residential property do you usually see that in rental agreements?)

by Anonymousreply 499March 10, 2021 4:09 PM

I've never seen property taxes included in a residential lease, NYC or anywhere else I've lived. Commercial leases are a different matter.

by Anonymousreply 500March 10, 2021 5:25 PM

R500 et al

It should be wholly apparent by now that arrangement between ALT and Malkemus and Yurgaitis was anything but a standard residential lease.

For reasons known largely to themselves Malkemus and Yurgaitis became involved with this odd "lease to own" arrangement that wasn't largely well thought out nor executed.

Having tenant commercial or residential pay property taxes can have effect of lowering rent, again otherwise LL will simply add whatever percentage or more he feels can get each month. Also no, for standard rental of an apartment don't think you'd see LL passing on property taxes in whole or part, but for a property such as house things might be different.

by Anonymousreply 501March 11, 2021 8:40 AM

Too bad Entenmann's isn't legal tender.

by Anonymousreply 502March 11, 2021 8:48 AM

Since there is little else new to report otherwise, there's this bit from the Telegraph....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503March 19, 2021 11:15 PM

R503 an you provide Cliff Notes of anything new or interesting for those who don't want to join Telegraph UK?

by Anonymousreply 504March 20, 2021 12:45 AM

Any news on the court action?

by Anonymousreply 505October 8, 2021 5:29 AM

This is just a designer version of a share accommodation situation hitting the skids and everyone ends out hating each other, except that all involved are pensioners who should have sorted that shit out decades ago.

by Anonymousreply 506October 8, 2021 5:50 AM

He has the fashion sense of a gay, African wizard.

by Anonymousreply 507October 8, 2021 6:02 AM

[quote]This is just a designer version of a share accommodation situation hitting the skids and everyone ends out hating each other, except that all involved are pensioners who should have sorted that shit out decades ago.

No, not really, it's more of a pretentious poseur who couldn't afford his rent any more and instead of moving on, decided to fuck his trying to be helpful friends and decided to just squat without paying.

His friends should have taken the situation to Judge Judy, who would have sorted everything out in ten minutes and tossed Talley out on his ass with a few choice words.

by Anonymousreply 508October 8, 2021 7:52 AM

What a shame. We hope he’ll take some time to focus on himself.

by Anonymousreply 509October 8, 2021 8:50 AM

Ha! Rich people can be crazy. Possibly fine for him to be there (I mean it was forever) and they had a tiff or something. Rich dude says fuck off and get out.

by Anonymousreply 510October 8, 2021 8:59 AM

There are all kinds of off the cuff, synergistic arrangements that fashion people like Anna Wintour make in the heat of the moment- she herself lived in a penthouse apartment of Sally Hershberger’s, and in turn propelled the hairdresser’s career- by breathlessly name dropping her and profiling her salons in Vogue all through the 90’s. Though these arrangements seem like a good idea at the time, Andre probably didn’t want to pay for a lawyer to draw up a contract, or was afraid the arrangement would evaporate if he pressed too hard and fell in love with the house. I’m sort of doubting Andre even has an accountant or lawyer on retainer as someone professionally trained would’ve piped up by now about how precarious this arrangement is.

Andre didn’t come from money, so the idea of shelling out hundreds or even thousands of dollars for an intangible service like legal advice is probably foreign to him even though he was in the business of giving fashion advice.

I really want Tom Ford to step in and make all this go away, or at least get Bravo involved and make a TV series out of it!

by Anonymousreply 511October 8, 2021 9:32 AM

Truth be told Talley is looked upon by others in the haute couture world as just as much of a clown as he is by the general public.

by Anonymousreply 512October 8, 2021 10:08 AM

Didn’t one of the queens whose house he is living in DIE a few weeks ago???

by Anonymousreply 513October 10, 2021 7:22 PM

R513 Yes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514October 10, 2021 7:32 PM

[quote]Truth be told Talley is looked upon by others in the haute couture world as just as much of a clown as he is by the general public.

This

by Anonymousreply 515October 10, 2021 7:34 PM

He was Wintour's token black. Then he wasnt. Ive always felt sorry for him,especially as he ballooned up. You could tell behind that hauteur and oh so grand diva persona is a great sadness. Sad for being alone,sad for being a house negro at Vogue ,sad for a horrible childhood. So I cut him a break. That being said,the poor dear needs to have a mammoth estate sale . Im sure he was gifted some lovely things over the years so he should sell it all then move back to NC and hopefully make enough to have a little nest egg to live on.

by Anonymousreply 516October 10, 2021 7:48 PM

The title of this thread should be- Andre Leon Talley fights his own PRETENTIOUSNESS

by Anonymousreply 517October 10, 2021 7:54 PM

[quote] Andre didn’t come from money, so the idea of shelling out hundreds or even thousands of dollars for an intangible service like legal advice is probably foreign to him even though he was in the business of giving fashion advice.

Yes, I give advice for a living. I asked a friend, in the same field, why people (friends) call for my advice all the time and don't feel like they need to pay at all. My colleague in the same field said that it's because it's "just talking."

This same friend and I had been talking about his cousin, a dermatologist. I asked this friend whether his dermatologist cousin worked on his skin (face) for free. Friend said no, cousin charges! I said how come people call us all the time for advice but never think to offer us money.

by Anonymousreply 518October 10, 2021 8:03 PM

R516. Smartest plan yet. Have an auction, it doesn’t have to be at Sotheby’s, Doyle or some other smaller house would be fine…unload all the gifts, and move to NC…..problem solved

by Anonymousreply 519October 10, 2021 8:04 PM

R518. Same problem here….because I’m semi-retired, people think they can just “pick my brain” for free….now, that only can get you so far with me, push me, and I just give” non answers” or I tune them out

by Anonymousreply 520October 10, 2021 8:07 PM

R516, Andre won’t give up anything- it’s part of his heritage and status. He’s also likely a hoarder.

There will be some sort of settlement.

by Anonymousreply 521October 10, 2021 8:11 PM

Also, R520, IME, a lot of people don't even follow advice. I've stopped giving advice to one friend who asks (variety of topics, not just in my field) because she never fucking takes advice, only asks.

by Anonymousreply 522October 10, 2021 8:11 PM

Sell the place in North Carolina, then pay off what he stills owes toward on the house in NY, and get a reverse mortgage. He could take in a tenant or two as well, but he might have to clear out one of the bedrooms storing the kaftans.

by Anonymousreply 523October 10, 2021 8:14 PM

I’m guessing the guy who died left his husband in an extremely precarious financial situation. They’ll press forward with eviction if there’s absolutely nothing written down. The house may already have taxes, a lien or second mortgage due. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 524October 10, 2021 8:33 PM

Oprah could give it to him straight: choose a house you can afford, liquidate what you can, extricate yourself from this legal quagmire.

by Anonymousreply 525October 10, 2021 8:36 PM

R11- The man in the photo looks like a extremely pretentious queen. Far worse than ALT.

by Anonymousreply 526October 10, 2021 8:37 PM

Grow up R526. George Malkemus was a financial genius and massively well respected.

by Anonymousreply 527October 10, 2021 10:11 PM

I’ve never been to NC but it has to be nicer than White Plains.

by Anonymousreply 528October 10, 2021 10:16 PM

[quote] I’m guessing the guy who died left his husband in an extremely precarious financial situation.

Why would you think that? The couple owns at least one home in NYC, another home in Litchfield, CT and the adjacent dairy farm busienss, which appears to be successful. A new article in a local CT newspaper said they had to change the dairy's business model due to COVID, but after doing so, things are "going gangbusters" and the demand for their products is "insatiable." .. The obit said he's been fighting cancer for awhile, so they've had plenty of time to do proper estate planning. In fact, trying to tie-up this "loose end" with the property that Talley is sitting in might have started out as part of that.

by Anonymousreply 529October 10, 2021 10:17 PM

With news of Talley's memorial service in another thread, I decided to check the status of the house that was under dispute in White Plains, and it looks like it sold on March 15, 2022 for $800,000.

I don't think that there was ever an listing, because the record just shows the sales date with no listing date or days on market.

I guess there will be no Tasteful Friends post .. lol!

by Anonymousreply 530April 30, 2022 4:38 AM

Eviction proceedings were settled (and files sealed) in early March of this year. Thus we don't know what sort of agreement estate of ALT, estate of George Malkemus, and Anthony Yurgaitis reached.

Sold could have many meanings in this context. It may have been transfer of title to estate of ALT as agreed upon to settle eviction proceedings. Or Anthony Yurgaitis as relicit of George Malkemus took sole ownership of property.

Listed "sold" price is well below estimates, and with current red hot RE market 75 Worthington Road should have fetched more than $800k if listed on open market.

Whenever you see "sold" on a property that did not appear in open listings something is or was up. It could have been a whisper listing or other private deal. But why would AY sell off a property for less than estimated value? He already has couple's CPW unit on market, so it very well maybe Mr. Yurgaitis is consolidating what is now his estate after demise of husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531April 30, 2022 5:35 AM

Just looked it up; as of 2019 that property had a total value of nearly $800k ($799,100 to be exact). Whenever you see a property sold at or near value like this something happened behind scenes. It rarely is sort of situation someone rang up owners and negotiated a private sale.

by Anonymousreply 532April 30, 2022 6:41 AM

Who knows? Maybe the house needed A LOT of work.

Wall-to-wall leopard print carpet may not be everyone's cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 533April 30, 2022 7:15 AM

Price still doesn't make sense. Malkemus and husband paid $1 million for property, several years later they're going to sell at a huge loss in some off market deal? No, I just don't see that happening at all.

People list properties in "poor condition" all the time. The market will determine final selling price.

by Anonymousreply 534April 30, 2022 7:23 AM

You might have to know how the sale is going to be handled tax wise and how it fits in to other capital gains-losses.

by Anonymousreply 535April 30, 2022 11:00 AM

Whatever went down happened on 3 March 2022 with deed being recorded on 15 March 2022.

On 4 March 2022 legal representatives for both sides announced a confidential agreement was reached and proceedings would be discontinued. Thus it is again highly likely this "sale" has something to do with said court cases.

Malkemus and Yurgaitis are still listed as owners of property according to Westchester County office of county clerk.

As for tax implications estate of ALT doesn't have $800k, by most accounts it is barely worth $200k. Much of what wealth ALT have was tied to the houses in Westchester and North Carolina. One he did not own, other not sure. If Mr. Yurgaitis sold this property there would be associated RE taxes same as when (or if) that CPW property sells.

by Anonymousreply 536April 30, 2022 1:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!