Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TEXAS DISASTER, part 2: Ted Cruz Waltzes Across Texas on Apology Tour and other reptiles

[bold]Military Personnel Save 1,100 Stunned Sea Turtles from Frigid Texas Waters[/bold]

Service members have been helping their neighbors through a crisis in Texas this week -- and that included hundreds of reptiles who were left helplessly bobbing in cold water after unusually freezing weather crippled the state.

Navy Capt. Christopher Jason, the commanding officer of Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, was assessing problems on base caused by a rare winter storm when he and Command Master Chief Eric Kinnaman were told that wildlife on the waterfront was struggling. An Army veteran had saved a couple of birds when he noticed a few sea turtles floating listlessly in the waves.

The reptiles were cold-stunned, Coast Guard Petty Officer 2nd Class Russell Grizzard said. He's one of three Coast Guard rescue swimmers who later dove into the near-freezing water to find the turtles and bring them to safety as Texas experiences devastatingly cold temperatures.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 25, 2021 12:16 PM

M.F.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 21, 2021 4:09 PM

Oops. Wrong thread, OP. You're not worse than Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 2February 21, 2021 4:09 PM

Tweet from Andrew Wortman:

No, @ tedcruz didn’t tweet “I’ll believe in climate change when Texas freezes over.” But he did:

—Help incite an insurrection that killed 8 people

—Help acquit the guy responsible

—Left his constituents & dog to freeze to death w/ no heat or power

—Blamed it on his daughters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 21, 2021 4:11 PM

Snowflake watches as Ted Cruz digs his own grave:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 21, 2021 4:13 PM

Debbie Does Dallas was WAY more fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 21, 2021 5:07 PM

OP, I marvel at how humans display greater concern and empathy for animals than for other humans.

by Anonymousreply 6February 21, 2021 5:49 PM

Some Texas Electricity Bills Skyrocket After Winter Storm | Morning Joe | MSNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2021 4:20 PM

Joe Biden Declares Major Disaster For Much Of Texas | Morning Joe | MSNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2021 4:27 PM

I don’t want my federal tax dollars spent helping Texans pay their energy bills because Texas has refused to join the national grid and declined to help other states deal with energy crisis.

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2021 5:26 PM

this whole thing has been so devastating for everyone in the southern states that went thru this. I thought I would post this to help see a lighter side to it. Being a northerner I can't imagine why these people even went out when it was all ice. Praying that everyone gets the help they need.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2021 8:03 PM

[bold]Essay: Houston is a cheap place to live - if you don't count the trauma tax[/bold]

And now this? It’s a phrase 54-year-old Alice Torres uses like a refrain in a ballad of traumas over the past few years that led her here, to this moment, speaking to me by phone with the borrowed breath of a backup oxygen tank that, by Wednesday afternoon, was running dangerously low.

Harvey didn’t spare her and her mother Dolores Torres in 2017, swamping the 60-year-old, low-slung brick house they shared near Hobby Airport in so much water that home and flood insurance couldn’t cover mold remediation and rebuilding.

“We still haven’t fully recovered,” she tells me.

COVID-19 at least waited a few months until it pounced, sickening both mother and daughter, who was nearly put on a ventilator herself. They both beat the infection, but ultimately, her mother couldn’t survive the destruction of her lungs. In late summer, Alice had no choice but to put her 85-year-old mother, her dearest companion, in hospice.

“The hardest decision I ever had to make,” Torres said, her voice breaking. Beyond a couple of iPAD visits per week, they weren’t able to see each other in person.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2021 10:04 PM

Yikes... and I thought the electricity bill was bad here in Norway. I usually pay about 50 american dollars in summer and about 150 american dollars in winter. These people now have to pay thousands! I'm shocked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2021 7:03 AM

Your electric company must be pissed you pay them in American dollars.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2021 1:42 PM

[bold]Houston's Harris County is looking into leaving the Texas power grid after recent widespread power failures[/bold]

Harris County officials in Texas are looking into leaving Texas' power grid after ice storms knocked out the state's power and left millions without electricity in freezing temperatures. The county is home to the city of Houston, the fourth-largest city in the US, and is home to over 4 million inhabitants.

Unlike the rest of the contiguous US, Texas is reliant on its own federally unregulated power grid. Supporters of Texas' power grid have claimed in the past that it is responsible for the state's high energy production - in 2019, Texas' crude oil production broke a 40-year-old record.

A large-scale winter storm that hit the state in mid-February, however, demonstrated the flaws of an unregulated power grid after natural gas pipelines and other energy sources froze, crippling Texas' energy production and leaving millions scrambling for warmth.

more at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2021 7:12 PM

Is that what they mean by the expression “a day late and a dollar short”?

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2021 8:56 PM

Who wants to beat Ted Cruz?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 24, 2021 5:15 PM

R13 LOL. I converted them to american dollars because nobody here would know what the fuck I was talking about, but fine. If you really want to know, my electricity bill is like 500 kroner in summer and 1500 in winter.

by Anonymousreply 17February 25, 2021 11:08 AM

[quote]Joe Biden Declares Major Disaster For Much Of Texas

Of course Texas was a major disaster before the cold and ice.

by Anonymousreply 18February 25, 2021 11:16 AM

Luv ya, r17!

by Anonymousreply 19February 25, 2021 12:16 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!