Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Diaries of Chips Channon

Eldergays who are also lovers of historical gossip with love his unexpurgated diaries, being published soon and serialized in the the Torygraph tomorrow.

I was trying to get it on Amazon but it doesn't list... am disappointed it isn't available on Kindle here. Hope that's a yet. Linking to the Torygraph article but cutting and pasting some best bits...

George VI

‘Bertie York, or Pork, as we now all unkindly call him. [He is] good, he is dull, he is dutiful and good-natured. He is completely uninteresting, undistinguished and a godawful bore!’ Also, ‘[He is] enormously improved [since marriage]. [His wife] has him completely under her thumb.’

Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother)

'She is fundamentally lazy, very lazy and charming, always gay and pleasant and smiling. She has some intelligence and reads a lot, but she is devoid of all eye, and her houses have always been banal and hideous… She will never be a great Queen for she will never be up in time!’

Duke of Windsor (‘The ex-king’ in Channon’s diary)

‘I also have always thought that [he] suffers from sexual repression of another nature. His horror of anything even savouring of homosexuality was exaggerated.’

Duchess of Windsor

'Wallis is a woman of charm, sense, balance, and great wit. She has dignity and taste; she has always been an excellent influence on the King... She would have been an excellent Queen. She was never ill at ease and could in her engaging drawl charm anyone; she is, however, une maîtresse-femme, a gambler with life and ambitious.’

Sir Winston Churchill

‘Winston as PM would be worse than war.’ ‘Mrs Churchill confided to someone that she never knew when she was safe from [him]; he exerts his conjugal rights at odd times and in unexpected places – frequently after a debate.’

The Queen

‘I have a feeling the child will be the Queen of England and perhaps the last sovereign. The baby becomes the first lady in the land and the third heir to the crown.’

Edith Wharton (American writer)

‘She was a tidy, crisp, stately, ironical woman devoid of charm; indeed she impressed me as being rather grim… [She] was always preaching her superiority to the rest of her compatriots. Indeed she was justified.’

Lady Honor Guinness (Channon's wife)

'V charming, but at times vague and moody.'

Freda Dudley Ward (Socialite and married paramour to the Duke of Windsor)

‘Always Queen of the bitches, that silly undernourished hysterical little woman.’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 28, 2021 6:45 PM

OP Very interesting, thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2021 1:28 PM

I really want get my hands on the kindle version but there's nothing listed for North America.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2021 1:40 PM

OP is worse than Hitler, Wallis Simpson and Margaret Thatcher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2021 1:53 PM

That was then, this is now, and the search function never changes, R3.

by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2021 2:16 PM

Such a loss to DL that he didn't live to snark here!

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2021 4:54 PM

The diaries are due to appear in the UK on March 4; I assume they'll be available on Amazon in the US after that date.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2021 4:58 PM

I hep seh.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2021 5:01 PM

OP of the original Chips Channon thread here. I'm delighted to hear that the unexpurgated version of Chips' diaries are out, and, needless to say, can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks for posting!

by Anonymousreply 8February 27, 2021 2:20 PM

Is it available in North America? Last time I checked Amazon it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 9February 27, 2021 2:26 PM

"She is fundamentally lazy, very lazy and charming, always gay and pleasant"

The Queen Mum was gay?

by Anonymousreply 10February 27, 2021 3:34 PM

He liked Hitler and Wallis Simpson. Pass. He sounds disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 11February 27, 2021 3:38 PM

Are you kidding, R10? She munched so much carpet that she could have refloored the whole of Buckingham Palace with her stomach contents.

by Anonymousreply 12February 27, 2021 3:38 PM

"Duke of Windsor (‘The ex-king’ in Channon’s diary)

‘I also have always thought that [he] suffers from sexual repression of another nature. His horror of anything even savouring of homosexuality was exaggerated.’

Ya think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 27, 2021 3:40 PM

^Mountbatten was kayute!

by Anonymousreply 14February 27, 2021 3:43 PM

I love that picture of Mountbatten and the Duke, you just know Mountbatten has his hand up the Duke's bum

by Anonymousreply 15February 27, 2021 3:47 PM

Mountbatten is serving big dick energy.

by Anonymousreply 16February 27, 2021 4:14 PM

It's not in electronic format. Try alibris.com or bookfinder.com. It's collectible and not cheap. I was fortunate to inherit my copy from a friend who had bought it in the early 70s.

by Anonymousreply 17February 27, 2021 4:36 PM

If they don't offer it in the US, you can order it from the UK Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 18February 27, 2021 4:46 PM

It's on archive.org - the diaries. You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19February 27, 2021 5:16 PM

The Queen Mum a carpet muncher - that's even more hilarious than the turkey baster rumour. I don't think she cared much for sex at all. She was all about flirtation and projection. Hot sex was probably far too real for her. She was best at the imaginary - it was her real gift.

by Anonymousreply 20February 27, 2021 5:36 PM

The Queen Mum was lucky to get a good-looking man. She was a frump.

by Anonymousreply 21February 27, 2021 5:55 PM

[quote] 'Wallis is a woman of charm, sense, balance, and great wit. She has dignity and taste; she has always been an excellent influence on the King... She would have been an excellent Queen.

It's weird that an actual courtier thought those qualities would make for an excellent queen, as if her job were to be the national tastemaker or something--like she was supposed to be some sort of constitutionally enshrined version of Babe Paley or Bunny Mellon.

I think the British people of the 20th century would agree the Queen Mother was actually about as good and useful a queen-consort as the nation ever had (despite her decided personality flaws) for reasons Cannon seems blind to.

It's as if all courtiers are/were the most bitchy judgmental men in the world, and yet what they want to do with their lives is suck up to the royalty they secretly despise. It was the same thing with Cecil Beaton's diaries and Kenneth Rose's diaries.

by Anonymousreply 22February 27, 2021 5:56 PM

Channon wasn’t a courtier, R22. Just a well-connected and fiercely adept social climber and gossip.

And for a long time the lover of Prince Paul of Yugoslavia - friend of the Queen Mother and brother in law of the Duke of Kent.

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2021 6:04 PM

[quote] For six months they live there and all classes are mixed, which is an excellent system, its purpose is to wipe out class feeling, which has become practically non-existent in Germany. England could learn many a lesson from Nazi Germany.

From his ill advised trip to a labor camp populated by fake laborers. Apart from that, I am quite sure he would not have enjoyed an England in which “class feeling” was “wiped out”. Or maybe it was the classes feeling different that he wanted to abolish. The actual class *differences* would remain.

by Anonymousreply 24February 27, 2021 6:52 PM

The DM is also excerpting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 27, 2021 7:34 PM

Thanks, OP. Channon shows up everywhere and has some connection to everyone in between the wars art and literature: James Lees-Milne, Anthony Powell, Waugh, anyone who kept a diary, wrote a novel, a memoir, went to a fun party...

The political and royal bits I could happily skip over, but the rest I'm hoping will be good.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2021 7:59 PM

That was an interesting read.

Interesting how he says the King had a habit of surrounding himself with handsome men whom he dropped as friends when they aged.

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2021 9:21 PM

[quote]Channon wasn’t a courtier, [R22]. Just a well-connected and fiercely adept social climber and gossip.

And American. Sort of a proto-Meghan, with a smaller dick.

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2021 11:11 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 1, 2021 6:47 PM

The Duke of Windsor was considered handsome? Why, he looked like a lemur.

by Anonymousreply 30March 1, 2021 6:55 PM

The Duke of Windsor was considered handsome? Why, he looked like a lemur.

There is no accounting for taste. Some here even think Harry is handsome. And this is the priest Channon let spank him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31March 1, 2021 7:45 PM

Does anyone know if they are publishing this in the US eventually? Or is it my best bet to just go ahead and buy it online from the UK?

by Anonymousreply 32March 9, 2021 11:44 AM

Excellent long review in the latest TLS about The Diaries' publication history, plus social and sexual milieux. Equally excellent parody of Channon's snobbish decadence in the new 'Private Eye.'

Agreed though that it's eldergay catnip, and I can't wait to indulge.

by Anonymousreply 33March 9, 2021 12:27 PM

For design historians, Mitchell Owens, whose features are far the best thing about Architectural Digest, had this piece with a reference to Chips Channon (and his diaries, it would seem). Instagram:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34April 16, 2021 7:12 AM

Well if I cared about the British monarchy I'd know DL is the place to find the last word on it

by Anonymousreply 35April 16, 2021 7:55 AM

R29 the last third of this is really poignant. He had a long love affair with a guy called Henry Gage, who broke it off and married a woman, and it broke Channons heart obviously.

by Anonymousreply 36April 16, 2021 1:27 PM

To those saying that the diaries are available on archive.org -- if at all, that would be the bowdlerized version from the 70s. The new, uncensored release does not appear to be available electronically.

by Anonymousreply 37April 16, 2021 2:03 PM

More OP!

by Anonymousreply 38April 16, 2021 2:15 PM

I found Vols. 1&2 very interesting . He had a unique and well informed take on many historical figures and events in an fascinating era in British and World history . He was very much of his class and era with all of their good and bad points and prejudices. Hindsight shows he backed many a wrong horse -but surely he was not alone .

by Anonymousreply 39October 28, 2021 6:40 PM

I’m assuming he was HOMOSEXUAL

by Anonymousreply 40October 28, 2021 6:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!