Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chips Channon

A British publisher is going to release the uncensored diaries of Chips Channon. Will I be thoroughly shocked if I read them? Will there be stories of poofs having sex? Drug-frenzied orgies? Is it a book I can give to Liz for her birthday?

[quote]He dined with Marcel Proust and Jean Cocteau as a young man in Paris in 1918, was a close friend during the abdication crisis to Edward VIII, and partied with Nazis in 1930s Berlin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2021 11:09 PM

I'm looking forward to it. But it needs someone knowledgeable like Mr Philip Ziegler to edit it and provide sufficient background for all us American ignoramuses.

by Anonymousreply 1February 3, 2021 10:57 PM

Does he out Edward? I'll be reading this most definitely.

by Anonymousreply 2February 3, 2021 11:03 PM

I always found it odd that both his wife and her sister, both fabulously rich Guinness heirs, married openly gay men. Most of the London set found Channon tiresome and boorish. He would never out Edward. But I’m sure it will be a fun read...No doubt Mountbottom will be eviscerated.

by Anonymousreply 3February 3, 2021 11:38 PM

The diaries of British courtiers' diaries (and court hangers-on) are fun to read because they were and are the bitchiest men on Earth.

They wanted desperately to suck up to royalty in person because they were such snobs, and then they wanted equally to rush home and write NASTY things about them in their diaries.

by Anonymousreply 4February 3, 2021 11:39 PM

The second volume of Kenneth Rose's diaries are hilariously bitchy. At one point he gets into full high dudgeon because of unconfirmed gossip he hears about eight-year-old Prince William being spoiled!

by Anonymousreply 5February 3, 2021 11:41 PM

[quote]I always found it odd that both his wife and her sister, both fabulously rich Guinness heirs, married openly gay men.

We didn't have to deal with horny men messing up our well-coiffed lady parts. We only had to do a woman's duty when we wanted it, with men we chose personally.

by Anonymousreply 6February 3, 2021 11:41 PM

Kenneth Williams' (known for the Carry-on films) diary is also on the bitchy side. He is the master of shading, but sometimes he just comes out in high bitch mode.

by Anonymousreply 7February 3, 2021 11:44 PM

A classic Chicagoan with airs, Channon ran away from home never to return!

[quote] Channon was born in Chicago to an Anglo-American family. In adult life he took to giving 1899 as his year of birth, and was embarrassed when a British newspaper revealed that the true year was 1897.

And the bitch thought he could lie about his age - Did anyone let him know British genes don’t age well?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 4, 2021 12:01 AM

If you're going to try shave years off your age, two seems less worth the effort.

by Anonymousreply 9February 4, 2021 2:34 AM

So have any of you style-queens read any of these diaries yet?

I need to know if I should request my library to buy them.

(BTW We've had 3 threads on Channon with a total of around 400 responses)

by Anonymousreply 10April 23, 2021 4:08 AM

[quote] Kenneth Williams … sometimes he just comes out in high bitch mode.

And well as tawdry, self-hating and "piss-elegant".

I'm sorry that Dame Maggie Smith used him as inspiration for too many of her comic roles.

by Anonymousreply 11April 23, 2021 4:14 AM

I'm looking forward to this probably more than I should. It was gross all the flirting with nazis by the British upper class, but still, it is kind of interesting.

by Anonymousreply 12April 23, 2021 4:16 AM

Who?

by Anonymousreply 13April 23, 2021 4:29 AM

Kenneth Williams’ diaries are a depressing read. He seems to have been an extremely unhappy man

by Anonymousreply 14April 23, 2021 4:32 AM

This should be the new Downton....... I'd watch!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15April 23, 2021 5:05 AM

[quote] This should be the new Downton.....

I hope not. There was only ONE male-to-make kiss on that TV soapie.

I'd hope Channon got a lot more erotic moments than that.

by Anonymousreply 16April 23, 2021 11:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!