Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Return trip to Llanview

A young Viki! A pre-Strasser Dorian! One of the Simons!

And the emoting of a certain Miss Katherine Glass!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315June 23, 2022 4:51 AM

I think it might be the audio guy at OLTL in 1977 posting these....his name shows up in the credits on this one!

Already, a new Dorian (and still, not Strasser)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 7, 2021 12:12 AM

Thank you for thread OP! We haven't had a OLTL thread in a while. Just don't alert the Kathy Glass troll.

by Anonymousreply 2February 7, 2021 12:16 AM

Meh. This show was certainly no Capitol, Santa Barbara, or Texas.

by Anonymousreply 3February 7, 2021 12:24 AM

OLTL was like the independent film of soaps. You could get some wonderful camp and then gritty message drama through each decade.

by Anonymousreply 4February 7, 2021 12:27 AM

Now I see why she was #1 in teen fan mail. I love how they mentioned that the Siegels were Jewish, but they were raising their son Catholic. I can't think of any other Jewish soap characters or half Jewish, except for Robin on Days.

by Anonymousreply 5February 7, 2021 12:37 AM

Oh and a young pre GH Jackie Zemen.

by Anonymousreply 6February 7, 2021 12:38 AM

Posted on other threads too, from Sept 1975, with a smoking hot Tom Berenger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 7, 2021 12:39 AM

Why did I think Larry married Meredith Lord?

by Anonymousreply 8February 7, 2021 12:44 AM

Aren't they cousins? Larry was a Lord cousin.

by Anonymousreply 9February 7, 2021 12:45 AM

You also forgot future Trumpkin Jameson Parker

by Anonymousreply 10February 7, 2021 2:11 AM

I believe Larry was married to Meredith and then she died. I think Meredith is Danny's mother.

by Anonymousreply 11February 7, 2021 2:56 AM

Kathy Glass has the nice teefs!

by Anonymousreply 12February 7, 2021 4:23 AM

The difference between the lighting is getting apparent in the two eras. It's more natural looking in 1975 but getting up towards Rauch levels of brightness in 1977, but not eliminating all shadows and differentiation. It's very bright though, the faces of all the party guests are clearly visible in the wedding video.

by Anonymousreply 13February 7, 2021 8:03 AM

The original actress who played Dorian was pure class. Her manner is so subtle. I miss those theatrically trained soap actresses on tv.

by Anonymousreply 14February 7, 2021 8:07 AM

OP - great find! Not only a classic episode of Llanview, but has anybody noticed the commercials? Bill Cosby for Jello Pudding, June Lockhart.. OP - you even got one with Vivian Vance !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 15February 7, 2021 8:18 AM

Ellen Holly was an extremely beautiful and elegant woman. But I can kind of see in 1975 why it was suggested she might take some voice lessons. It is kind of difficult to understand what she is saying when her head is turned towards the nurse's counter, but she is fine in the latter scene when her face is visible to the camera.

by Anonymousreply 16February 7, 2021 8:27 AM

I think in one video on youtube Ellen Holly said she had a problem with one of the directors at this time and her speaking like this was because she was uncomfortable.

by Anonymousreply 17February 7, 2021 8:30 AM

Who didn’t Ellen Holly was trouble with? Troublemaker. And she has told lies about our beloved Slee, which is unforgiveable. I agree with Rauch about that voice of hers. Irritating.

by Anonymousreply 18February 7, 2021 11:05 AM

Ellen Holly had lots o' problems with everyone in the building

by Anonymousreply 19February 7, 2021 2:18 PM

The first actress who played Dorian reminded me of DS Grayson Hall but without the ham.

by Anonymousreply 20February 7, 2021 2:37 PM

Someone on one of those YT posts said Dixie Carter (!) briefly played Dorian.

Interesting to see Dorian go from a very middle aged, short haired woman and morph into someone a bit more glam, a bit younger.

by Anonymousreply 21February 7, 2021 2:56 PM

Did Dorian know about Kevin's kidnapping? She seems awfully shady in that episode. I also learned from reading the comments that Vicki's first big enemy wasn't Dorian, but the lady who Tony kissed called Cathy. What happened to her?

That episode from 1975 epitomizes to me all that is good about soap opera. See how quickly that 30 minute episode moved and they showed people being real. How many times do you see someone doing housework in a show. It was very relatable.

by Anonymousreply 22February 7, 2021 3:12 PM

A half hour?

I don't like that atall.

by Anonymousreply 23February 7, 2021 5:14 PM

The reboot needs to center around The Lord siblings- Victoria. Tina. And Todd. ...Without Asa and the proper Clint the Buchanan’s not the same. RS made Dorian such a cartoon not sure she should be a focal point.

by Anonymousreply 24February 7, 2021 8:15 PM

Ah, here's MY Karen Wolek.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 7, 2021 9:24 PM

Kathryn Breech was the perfect Karen Wolek Wolek. Judith Light was slovenly, unkempt and her hair was a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2021 10:29 PM

R26 = Talbot Huddleston

by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2021 11:33 PM

R25 Slee with the gay Lee Patterson. Ellen Holly outed him.

by Anonymousreply 28February 8, 2021 4:48 AM

R26 Kathryn Breech was fired because she wasn't a good enough actress to carry off the Belle de Jour storyline they were planning. From what I recall, they briefly had another actress fill in before hiring Judith Light. She wasn't very good.... Later, though, this actress showed she was more adept at comedy and got nominated for a few prime time emmys. Anyone know who it was?

by Anonymousreply 29February 8, 2021 6:07 AM

R29, Julia Duffy. Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 30February 8, 2021 6:18 AM

I noticed that Viki was having a bit of a random meltdown at 40mins 30secs in the OPs wedding video. She did look very elegant with her hair in the swept updo. Was this reaction caused by memories that had started to surface, that her Daddy had been intimate with her?

by Anonymousreply 31February 8, 2021 6:48 AM

R31 "that her Daddy had been intimate with her?"

Are you kidding? The 1970s audience wasn't ready for that. Victor Lord was only slightly villainous in the early days. It was only years after the character's death that history was rewritten and he became an evil child molester and all-out rapist. It was even written in that he did all these horrible perverted things to Dorian because the writers had to come up with a way to revive her character after making her so irredeemable.

Then of course, in true OLTL fashion, it turned out he wasn't dead after all and came back to Llanview to drink the blood of one of his granddaughters, (the most preposterous Llanview storyline ever??)

by Anonymousreply 32February 8, 2021 6:59 AM

They never would have been able to say things explicitly back then, but, the rewrite of Victor still fit uncannily in many ways. We now know Dissociative Identity Disorder (which Viki had since the start of the show) was often caused by childhood trauma including sexual abuse, and by the mid-80s Viki was showing clear signs of being highly damaged, branching off into a sexualized alternative personality, and her emotional breakdowns (like at 40:30 in the OP video) becoming more severe and frequent.

That episode in the 80s, where Viki and Dorain were exploring Victor's underground dungeon was as creepy and ominous as anything that was shown on Twin Peaks.

by Anonymousreply 33February 8, 2021 7:33 AM

I don't know if I necessarily agree with that. In the 70s soaps were much more cutting edge and willing to take provocative risks. I just don't think the connection between DID and childhood sexual trauma was ever even considered a possibility by the writers back then, because if it was even on the table they would have found a clever way to allude to it. I just think they went with the established history of how Viki developed DID. Soap just didn't do a whole lot of retconning in those days.

Of the 4 remaining soaps, I can't imagine any of them doing some of the stories they did in the 70s without major backlash and protests. The audience and the world has changed too much. Hell, you couldn't even do some of those great Norman Lear sitcom from the 70s on network TV anymore.

by Anonymousreply 34February 8, 2021 2:13 PM

Yeah, bringing Victor back was just so bad, and so dumb.

by Anonymousreply 35February 8, 2021 2:16 PM

was it ever said whether John Paul Lavoisier (Rex) is gay IRL?

by Anonymousreply 36February 8, 2021 2:46 PM

It has never been said, R36, but there are a number of rumors that existed before, during and after his marriage. And he all but lived with Tuc Watkins for several years. Not to mention that Tuc's current BF looks JUST like him......

by Anonymousreply 37February 8, 2021 2:51 PM

I've never seen where JP was ever married

by Anonymousreply 38February 8, 2021 2:54 PM

JPL allegedly used to fuck Farah Fath. Could have just been a bearding situation.

by Anonymousreply 39February 8, 2021 3:13 PM

I was never a big watcher of OLTL, but I did watch it some in the 80s if I was home since it came in after AMC. It’s weird watching those other actors playing Karen, Jenny, Brad, etc.

In the clips here, looks like two different actresses playing Kathy Craig? One seems really strong and the other seems really drippy. Or am I mixing characters up? That character was gone by the time I watched back in the day.

I am also too young to have watched the Alice/Steve/Rachel on AW. Did George Reinholt ping back then? He is FLAMING in these OLTL clips.

by Anonymousreply 40February 8, 2021 3:34 PM

I'd forgotten that for a time OLTL ran for 45 minutes, sharing a 90 minute time slot with AMC.

by Anonymousreply 41February 8, 2021 3:35 PM

R38 Sorry - I got his storyline and real life mixed up, oops! He was supposedly dating Farah Whatsersnatch in real life and married her character. So change "marriage" in my post to "supposed heterosexual relationship." The rest stays the same.

by Anonymousreply 42February 8, 2021 4:05 PM

DL icon, Vivian Vance, can be found doing a coffee commercial during the 4/1/77 episode!

by Anonymousreply 43February 8, 2021 4:50 PM

R41 No. OLTL and GH were each 45 mins before expanding to an hour. Miss Victoria Sleestack negotiated a grand contract when they expanded each time from 30 mins to 45 to an hour.

by Anonymousreply 44February 8, 2021 5:04 PM

I was puzzled that Erika Slezak put up with what happened to so many of the characters on that show. She just went along with making Victor Lord the world's most evil person ever?

The first Dorian was Nancy Pinkerton, who was a rather unremarkable woman looks-wise. She may have reminded some of Grayson Hall.

Never understood why the writers seemed to write yet another nun character into the show. Kathy Glass was the saintly Jenny. Crystal Chappell was yet another nun twenty years later, who wore makeup and lipstick, which made no sense.

Jameson Parker was terrific as Brad the cad. He was dreamily handsome and flirted with waitresses on his honeymoon.

One of my favorite characters on this show ever was the fey Matt McAllister, henchman for Victor Lord, co-conspirator with Dorian, and obviously gay, but it was never revealed as such. OLTL has a bunch of background characters that gave the show a depth that other soaps lacked. Also loved Wanda, Vicky's chubby best friend and confidante. Also loved Jack Betts as the evil doctor Ivan Kipling.

by Anonymousreply 45February 8, 2021 8:57 PM

It's VIKI

VIKI

Her fucking name is spelled V I K I

by Anonymousreply 46February 8, 2021 9:08 PM

I missi OLTL every day. The characters were likely family to me. I'll never forgive ABC for cancelling them.

by Anonymousreply 47February 8, 2021 9:14 PM

always wish they had brought back Wanda & CJ Roberts

by Anonymousreply 48February 8, 2021 9:53 PM

[quote]I was puzzled that Erika Slezak put up with what happened to so many of the characters on that show. She just went along with making Victor Lord the world's most evil person ever?

I am no Slezak stan like a lot of you on here for reasons that are lost on me, but what were you expecting her to do? I get the feeling that Slezak was like a lot of old school soap broads, they came in, did their lines, and went home and only really bitched when it was something extreme.

by Anonymousreply 49February 8, 2021 9:57 PM

[quote]I'd forgotten that for a time OLTL ran for 45 minutes, sharing a 90 minute time slot with AMC.

OLTL shared a 90 minute time slot with General Hospital, not AMC.

In July 1976, both GH and OLTL were expanded to 45 minutes. Then both were expanded to 60 min in Jan. 1978.

AMC remained a 30 minute show until Jan. 1977 when it expanded to 60 minutes. Agnes Nixon had been very resistant to doing it as an hour on a permanent basis.

However, AMC did experiment with an hour for a week in late June/early July 1975. AMC went to an hour for that week to prepare audiences for the launch of Ryan's Hope. AMC had aired at 1 p.m. from its start. But for that week of hour-long shows, it began at 12:30 p.m. Then when Ryan's Hope launched, it debuted at 1 p.m. and AMC reverted back to 30 minutes airing at 12:30 p.m.

by Anonymousreply 50February 8, 2021 9:58 PM

Those 30 minutes shows just flowed better. Look at how tight that 1975 episode was, not a bit of filler. And you got character moments added in.

by Anonymousreply 51February 8, 2021 10:02 PM

Slee is a DJT loving Republican.

by Anonymousreply 52February 8, 2021 10:27 PM

She is?

by Anonymousreply 53February 8, 2021 10:32 PM

Receipts for that claim?

by Anonymousreply 54February 8, 2021 10:34 PM

Another World tried an hour and a half!

by Anonymousreply 55February 8, 2021 10:34 PM

R52- STOP IT. Yes Erika is a republican, particularly a fiscal republican..

She said that Trump is an embarrassment, and that she was NOT a fan.

This was either in her newsletter or possibly in an recent interview, I read it myself and was grateful to read it, and for what she said.

I will try to track it down.

by Anonymousreply 56February 8, 2021 10:57 PM

Lots of wealthier people are old school Republicans, who generally weren't hateful, soulless assholes, but were very pro-defense and/or all about taxes and spending being very low. Pro business and especially GOP on the local levels.

That's all been gone for 20 years now, to be honest, accelerated after the Tea Party. But there was a day where the GOP and Dems would go have a drink after arguing all day.

Ms. Sleestak was one of those Republicans. Dixie Carter was another.

by Anonymousreply 57February 8, 2021 11:32 PM

Lucci is another R57-

They aren't all demons.

by Anonymousreply 58February 8, 2021 11:34 PM

Well, I think Lucci may have supported Trump at some points, though I imagine she and Helmut were horrified by where Trump eventually went.

by Anonymousreply 59February 8, 2021 11:37 PM

Erika's father was an accomplished actor best known as the villainous character in Alfred Hitchcock's "Lifeboat."

by Anonymousreply 60February 9, 2021 4:51 AM

A quick check of CT’s voting list indicates that Sleestack is indeed a Republican. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 61February 9, 2021 7:19 AM

OP - you're a great sleuth. Any chance you can find the classic GH episode where Laura kills David Hamilton? Every once in awhile I'll do a search, find other interesting classic episodes, but still have not come across that one. Thanks in advance if you make the effort.

by Anonymousreply 62February 9, 2021 7:39 AM

Slee and Looch supported Ted Cruz in the 2016 primaries.

by Anonymousreply 63February 9, 2021 9:18 AM

I’ve lost respect for Slee and Sue. I don’t like who they support AtTall!

by Anonymousreply 64February 9, 2021 10:28 AM

[quote]Slee and Looch supported Ted Cruz in the 2016 primaries.

I usually don't care about the politics of actors, but Ted Cruz? Ted Motherfucking Cruz?

by Anonymousreply 65February 9, 2021 12:15 PM

R62 I am actually not a great sleuth. Another poster shared one of those OLTL ones that were recently posted and I found a few others the same YT account posted. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 66February 9, 2021 1:49 PM

I would take the Cruz claim with a grain of salt until we see proof.

by Anonymousreply 67February 9, 2021 1:49 PM

I suppose you could look at the filings that politicians must make showing their contributions. Slee is definitely registered in CT as a Republican, as evidenced by public record. I’m glad to see that her son, who lives with her, is an Independent.

by Anonymousreply 68February 9, 2021 3:43 PM

Nein!

by Anonymousreply 69February 9, 2021 4:15 PM

Ellen Holly is still alive and talking bad about our Sleestack.

by Anonymousreply 70February 9, 2021 7:49 PM

Obliugatory TSJ feets mention

by Anonymousreply 71February 9, 2021 8:05 PM

It's all so Patty Hearst

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72February 9, 2021 8:18 PM

TALBOT HUDDLESTON!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 9, 2021 9:25 PM

When did Sleestack tell them to get rid of Ellen Holly and Lil Hayman? The 15th anniversary at Tavern on the Green? Ellen Holly still talks about it to this day!

by Anonymousreply 74February 10, 2021 4:14 AM

Have you missed me, gayz?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75February 10, 2021 1:09 PM

Does Carlivati still envy His hairy legs?

by Anonymousreply 76February 10, 2021 1:11 PM

*Beep Beep*

by Anonymousreply 77February 10, 2021 2:11 PM

That earthquake that NYC felt in 1985 was just Lil running through the parking garage trying to hide from Rauch.

by Anonymousreply 78February 10, 2021 2:51 PM

R77 you scoundrel!

by Anonymousreply 79February 10, 2021 4:23 PM

Triscut got fat. Carb face. He used to be so cute.

by Anonymousreply 80February 10, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote]Lil running through the parking garage trying to hide from Rauch.

That will never stop being funny to me. That and teen fan mail. You dizzy bitches at the best.

by Anonymousreply 81February 10, 2021 7:24 PM

The Tercel was cute. It was done to death but still sort of amusing.

I miss the Andy T troll.

by Anonymousreply 82February 10, 2021 8:12 PM

Carlivati needs to write Andy T. a part on Days of Our Lives

He can play Xander's long lost but extremely hot love child

by Anonymousreply 83February 10, 2021 8:20 PM

Unsurprisingly, Trishitta has barely acted after OLTL other than some crappy web series mostly starring other soap actors that maybe a few hundred people (at most) watched and a short film even less people have seen.

He better jump to onlyfans before he completely loses his looks. The only thing has going for himself.

by Anonymousreply 84February 10, 2021 8:31 PM

Andy T has already lost his looks. Fat face. Ron better jump on his hairy legs and get him to Days before it goes off the air.

by Anonymousreply 85February 10, 2021 8:34 PM

It really seems like he was on the show because he was fucking either Ron or Frank. I'd guess Frank since in a SOD interview he talked about his freshman year and meeting up for dinner with "Uncle Frank."

by Anonymousreply 86February 10, 2021 8:49 PM

“Uncle Frank” is quite the homosexual. Remember his boyfriend that he used to bring to the Emmys every year?

by Anonymousreply 87February 10, 2021 9:17 PM

Ugh, no one should ever go on DAYS.

by Anonymousreply 88February 10, 2021 11:23 PM

[quote]The 1970s audience wasn't ready for that. Victor Lord was only slightly villainous in the early days. It was only years after the character's death that history was rewritten and he became an evil child molester and all-out rapist.

A FAR worse rewrite was the origins of Tess/Bess or whatever her name was. Jessica (Bree Williamson) was discovered to have been sexually exploited as a child while Niki Smith was out partying. There was a video discovered of her being abused, and the actors just looked heartbroken playing it which I'm sure they were in real-life.

The Niki story was exploitive, but was well written and fit the tone of the show in the 90s. What happened with Jessica was just the manipulation of the audience and really unpleasant.

by Anonymousreply 89February 11, 2021 12:57 PM

R89 Yup. There was so much darkness and ugliness around that, and the whole Natalie thing, as well.

As inventive as Carlivati could be sometimes, and as rooted in history as he could be, he always used and overused the Crazy Lady storylines. At one point I think three OLTL stories were either Crazy Lady or Crazy Revenge Lady.

by Anonymousreply 90February 11, 2021 2:06 PM

Ron didn't create that Jessica DID stuff, that was Dena Higley - I think.

by Anonymousreply 91February 11, 2021 4:38 PM

R91 You might be right.....I just assumed it was Ron b/c he had a thing for "crazy lady" stories. And still does at DAYS.

by Anonymousreply 92February 11, 2021 4:59 PM

From the beginning, OLTL was always involved with mental illness. The Viki/Nikki stuff was very early on.

by Anonymousreply 93February 11, 2021 5:57 PM

R93 Yes, but they did it in a more compelling way, and it was Viki/Niki et al only, for the most part, on OLTL. They didn't have multiple characters having the same issues.

It got to be a lazy storytelling device in the 2000s and onward, where so many female characters were either psycho, split personality, or obsessed in a Fatal Attraction way. Overused, especially on OLTL and DAYS.

by Anonymousreply 94February 11, 2021 6:00 PM

The next big psycho was Dorian's sister Melinda, played by Jane Badler, who would later be known as the rat-eaten lizard woman in "V." Just remember her playing the piano with her elbows in the air.

by Anonymousreply 95February 11, 2021 6:17 PM

R89 and 90. I agree. However,

They claimed that did was inherent. That being the case, it might have been better to give the storyline to Natalie instead:

1) if would have been further evidence she was Viki's daughter;

2) she supposedly had a traumatic childhood having been raised by Roxie. It never made much sense that she was so nasty and vengeful when first introduced, but if it turned out to be another personality, it might have been more believable.

by Anonymousreply 96February 11, 2021 6:26 PM

Didn't Ron Carlivati succeed Dena Higley as headwriter on BOTH OLTL and than DAYS, after Higley destroyed both soaps?

Soaps really are incestuous

by Anonymousreply 97February 11, 2021 6:29 PM

R7: Wow, I can see what you mean about George Reinholt.

by Anonymousreply 98February 11, 2021 7:51 PM

The 90s rewrite of Viki's DID really delved into the entire psychology of Viki and it made sense. It wasn't a rewrite for the sake of a rewrite. Making Victor, Viki's abuser was brilliant and it didn't destroy Victor's character as much as it showed how good he was at fooling everybody. How often are we shocked when we find out that someone, we thought we knew, has committed some horrible act. It was good storyline.

Ron likes crazy ladies and he likes the camp and cartoony aspects of DID, which has it's place too, but was a total fuck you to what Michael Malone wrote. But Ron wasn't the only writer who kept going back to that DID well on that show. It was overused in my opinion. Michael Malone's story should have been the last of all of Viki's alters.

by Anonymousreply 99February 11, 2021 8:03 PM

Yes, they should have retied Viki's DID after Michael Malone did such a fantastic job with it. As said above, he didn't rewrite history so much as he expanded existing history. And made Viki's alters so much more plausible.

Subsequent returns of Niki were just to goose the ratings and/or get Viki Sleastak another Emmy nod.

And yes, it was Dena who created Jessica's DID storyline. Lazy wirting, which is all Dena knows how to do.

by Anonymousreply 100February 11, 2021 8:47 PM

Jean Randolph is here, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101February 11, 2021 8:50 PM

I wish OLTL had explored the process of integrating all of Viki's alters in 1995 when Malone was doing that storyline.

As it was, Viki was working with Nora's psychiatrist sister Susannah Hanen on the integration. Then when it came time for Slestak's annual two-month vacation, they sent Viki off to a clinic in Switzerland to continue the process. And when Viki returned to town, it was all complete, supposedly.

I know the process of integrating alters might not make for the most dramatic of storytelling, but I thought they should have tried to do more with that. They way they left it, you can have six alters, but go off on a two month vacation and have it all fixed.

by Anonymousreply 102February 11, 2021 8:54 PM

Jean Randolph would've been a DLer

by Anonymousreply 103February 11, 2021 9:06 PM

DL *was* launched in 1995, R102.

Coincidence? I think not!

by Anonymousreply 104February 11, 2021 9:07 PM

[quote]Yup. There was so much darkness and ugliness around that, and the whole Natalie thing, as well.

They tried to capture a Flowers In the Attic vibe, with a triangle between Victor, Natalie, and Jessica, but it takes restraint and sensitivity to make creepy stuff like that even remotely palatable, plus it needs to be believable, which at that time it definitely wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 105February 12, 2021 8:02 AM

Watching OP’s video I forgot how hot I was for mustachioed Jeffrey David Pomerantz who played Dr. Peter. He’s apparently been married three times and is still acting.

by Anonymousreply 106February 12, 2021 1:16 PM

Slee and Looch gave $$$ to little Marco Rubio.

by Anonymousreply 107February 12, 2021 2:59 PM

R106 tell us more!

by Anonymousreply 108February 12, 2021 6:27 PM

He was in Modern Family in one episode. Well, let's just say he's older. But he was hot in his days as Jennie Wolek's platonic friend/subseqeunt boyfriend.

by Anonymousreply 109February 12, 2021 6:45 PM

Would the next generation of Llanview children be interesting enough of a premise for a reboot? What if it featured parents and grandparents in a supporting role? Time to get Robin’s wigs out!

by Anonymousreply 110February 13, 2021 1:27 PM

I'd be up for another reboot, but I think whoever did it would have to go slow. I'd enjoy seeing two-hour movies or even miniseries, streamed on Hulu or Netflix all in one go. My parents (67 and 73) stream more television than they watch live. I think it's a mistake to expect people to wait daily for new episodes to drop when they've gotten out of the habit.

by Anonymousreply 111February 13, 2021 1:41 PM

I know what I would do with these shows, but no one but me would want to see it. I would want them to go back and retell the first few years of the show, maybe set it as a period piece. The three linked videos from the 70s, that were shown earlier in this thread, were far more interesting to me than anything that occurred on the show from 1985 until it was cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 112February 13, 2021 2:04 PM

But that's the sad thing, R112.

No one knows or seems to want to tell stories like that any more.

They want to do the reboot of AMC but I guarantee they'll take out all the nuances that made it special - the relationships, the older character actors, the humor - and just make it Slutty Young People, or focus on a noirish murder mystery that will have Lucci, if she's back, tossing her hair and batting her eyes like the days of old.

Seems like TV only wants to do the Young People Acting Like Adults show (CW) or variations on Shonda Rhimes shows, where the stakes are racheted up higher and higher every week - all plot, no character.

by Anonymousreply 113February 13, 2021 3:49 PM

I stumbled across this 1980 episode which I had never seen before, and the quality of which is very high. The pacing of this show is unreal, everything seems to be unfolding in real-time (unlike one day stretched out into six months). There is so much emphasis on mood, and no meaningless dialog at all. Context is everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114February 14, 2021 12:35 AM

And now....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115February 14, 2021 1:00 AM

and.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116February 14, 2021 1:01 AM

Nancy Snyder was so fucking dull as Katrina. Such low energy.

by Anonymousreply 117February 14, 2021 6:46 PM

I liked her.

by Anonymousreply 118February 14, 2021 7:05 PM

Kathryn Breech came from the Ford Motor Family - she was never going to be hurting for money. She was screwing Gerry Anthony, and they were BOTH unprofessional at work - skipping rehearsals, showing up late for tapings, etc. She was very close to Jackie Zeman, Kathy Glass and Jameson Parker. She lives a socialite life now in West Palm Beach.

by Anonymousreply 119February 14, 2021 8:23 PM

R116, aw, that was the online version’s into. Trying hard to be hip.

by Anonymousreply 120February 14, 2021 9:23 PM

Jealous of Kathy Breech and Brynn Thayer getting Gerry Anthony dick. Did Strassman ever partake in the Gerry dick?

by Anonymousreply 121February 15, 2021 12:42 AM

Not that I know of, but Robin did get David Beecroft's for a while.

by Anonymousreply 122February 15, 2021 12:48 AM

Vee, who is in the biz, signed off on the PP OLTL opening.

by Anonymousreply 123February 15, 2021 2:04 AM

anyway

by Anonymousreply 124February 15, 2021 2:05 AM

Vee is rebooting OLTL. He’s in the biz, you know. Dumb Dylan is going to be Consulting Executive Producer.

by Anonymousreply 125February 15, 2021 7:11 AM

They need to hurry to ensure ES and RS are alive and able to do it!!!

by Anonymousreply 126February 15, 2021 1:58 PM

Dummy thinks that Pine Valley will have a backdoor Llanview pilot haha lololol im hyperventilating

by Anonymousreply 127February 15, 2021 2:00 PM

I think Robin showed with her DAYS stint that she's done.

by Anonymousreply 128February 15, 2021 2:06 PM

What’s Elaine Princi up to these days?

by Anonymousreply 129February 15, 2021 2:25 PM

R129 Playing euchre with Miss Katherine Glass and Ellen Holly.

by Anonymousreply 130February 15, 2021 2:29 PM

I love Claire Malis (sp?) as Dorian; SOLID.

She popped up on WIll & Grace years later as a woman who told Jack that his father was dead.

by Anonymousreply 131February 15, 2021 2:53 PM

R129 Princi is now a 5th grade teacher in LA. There's a recent pic of her in the link below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132February 15, 2021 2:57 PM

Good for Princi for doing great things in the world.

by Anonymousreply 133February 15, 2021 3:44 PM

R132 MARY!

by Anonymousreply 134February 15, 2021 3:46 PM

The miserable cunt Strassman hasn’t done much good in the world. She hated her mother till the end!

by Anonymousreply 135February 15, 2021 4:05 PM

What I did to EARN that Tercel!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 15, 2021 6:32 PM

Excuse me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137February 15, 2021 7:01 PM

Good god Ellen Holly was a fucking pain in the ass who thought way too highly of herself and her function on the show. And someone who thought the show owed her a living.

by Anonymousreply 138February 15, 2021 7:59 PM

Lil was great in that scene, so was Doris Belack. Scenes like that were what made soaps soaps. I'm sorry that we lost that.

by Anonymousreply 139February 15, 2021 8:15 PM

Doris "How Far Can You Pull Back" Belack!

by Anonymousreply 140February 15, 2021 9:58 PM

Aggie Nixon wanted me to play Victoria Lord, but she could never afford my rate. Erika Slezak was a much cheaper ticket. As the new Katherine Chancellor, I am the highest paid performer on THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, television’s number one daytime drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141February 16, 2021 2:27 AM

Cooper was such a terrible actress. I can't count the number of years Y&R cheated to get her nominated for Emmys with barely any story just for being tenured. I think they finally felt sorry for her one year in Supporting or Younger Actress wherever they could shove her and gave her one before she died of thirst..

by Anonymousreply 142February 16, 2021 2:32 AM

F YOU Ellen Holly! Miserable old cunt!

by Anonymousreply 143February 16, 2021 3:03 AM

Cooper and Slezak are Queens of Ham.

by Anonymousreply 144February 16, 2021 3:16 AM

I am a better actress and more elegant than the whole lot of you!

by Anonymousreply 145February 16, 2021 4:32 AM

Lil Hayman sure was FAT! How did she squeeze herself into that Tercel?

by Anonymousreply 146February 16, 2021 8:28 AM

Anyway.....

by Anonymousreply 147February 16, 2021 1:38 PM

Cooper was godawful. All that eye rolling. It was a toss up between her and Darlene Conley as to who was the more cringeworthy scenery chewer.

Back to OLTL: sorry if this has been answered already but what’s the name of the actor who Ellen Holly describes as a “sociopath” in this clip? What a story. She’s fucking scary in how she describes the situation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148February 16, 2021 2:19 PM

Ellen hated her costar Arthur Burghardt.

She apparently helped create her storyline and the EP at the time told her she could have input on who was cast as her costar, and they picked the person that she said she absolutely hated and could not work with, and they didn't at all get along.

She talks about this in the OLTL book.

by Anonymousreply 149February 16, 2021 2:26 PM

I thought Kirk Geiger was so cute as Kevin. He was the actor playing the part during Marty’s gang rape and the Billy Douglas storylines in the early 90s. However, I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen someone age so roughly. He’ll be 52 next month, but he’s looked like hell for some time now.

This is from 2017 when he attended the premiere of A VERY SORDID WEDDING in which he appeared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 16, 2021 3:19 PM

Thanks, R149. In the video she only referred to him as “Martin” and I thought she said she’d only referred to him as “Martin” in her book, too.

by Anonymousreply 151February 16, 2021 3:21 PM

From his OLTL days...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152February 16, 2021 3:22 PM

At one time weren't they toying with the idea that Todd was the real Kevin? That the "Kevin" they got back from the kidnapper wasn't the real Kevin?

by Anonymousreply 153February 16, 2021 3:23 PM

Take anything that Holly says with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 154February 16, 2021 3:35 PM

I love how Holly only refers to Ms. Sleestack as “Viki #3” in one of the videos but mentions Jacqueline Courtney by name.

by Anonymousreply 155February 16, 2021 3:41 PM

Ellen Holly thought her groundbreaking storyline and seniority meant that she should have been treated with a certain level of respect and salary and that Nixon and others at ABC should have had her back, but instead let her down over and over.

The sad truth is the entertainment business in the late 60s - mid 70s was not kind to performers of color. Carla's story was never going to be the A story. It was always going to be limited.

I am certain that she experienced some racism behind the scenes, which can be soul crushing and play games with your head. But also, I'm sure that there was some professional jealousy over Walter Slezak's daughter coming on the show, getting A stories and an A salary when she hadn't put in the work.

I have no issues with Slezak, but I don't think she is the saint that a lot of you want to make her out to be. I don't know if she called Holly a name, but I am not willing to just assume that Holly is nuts and Slezak is above it all.

I also find it sad, then when women of color have spoken out in this industry, they always get labeled as crazy.

by Anonymousreply 156February 16, 2021 3:56 PM

I did think it was crazy that Holly demanded a salary of 150k a year.

by Anonymousreply 157February 16, 2021 4:04 PM

I can understand the professional jealousy, R156, and maybe Erika (aka Viki Sleestak) isn't all flowers and sunshine.

But the idea that she would tell an upper management person at ABC to "get these two black bitches out of my face" is preposterous.

I agree that Holly's story, and Vicky Rowell's, should have been heard and listened to - unfortunately, I think Holly does struggle with some form of mental illness. It doesn't mean we shouldn't hear or listen.

by Anonymousreply 158February 16, 2021 4:51 PM

I ended up watching all of those interviews, R158. They were fascinating. Holly was downright scary when conjuring up memories from decades ago. I think a lot of what she said was true (like being pushed to the back row for that magazine photo) but she seems a fundamentally untrustworthy narrator. I’m sure Paul Rauch and Joseph Stuart weren’t sweethearts but she makes both of them seem so utterly vicious that I find it all a little hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 159February 16, 2021 5:02 PM

[quote]I’m sure Paul Rauch and Joseph Stuart weren’t sweethearts but she makes both of them seem so utterly vicious

Rauch and Stuart were two of the biggest douches in the history of daytime douches. That wasn't just Holly going on about those two.

by Anonymousreply 160February 16, 2021 5:10 PM

I’m aware of both being described as having douche-like qualities but Holly makes them sound positively evil.

by Anonymousreply 161February 16, 2021 5:21 PM

I've described people who I have felt have done me wrong as evil. It's all about perspective.

by Anonymousreply 162February 16, 2021 5:27 PM

Forbes March recently said on The Locher Room that Slee tried to get him fired.

by Anonymousreply 163February 16, 2021 5:42 PM

One Life To Live post 1977 reminds me of that office some of have worked in where no matter HOW much you wish, you end up with a CUNT for a boss. When one asshole leaves, they still hire another one. Whereas other offices in your region all have the awesome bosses?

Joe Stuart, Paul Rauch (makes Stuart look like a sweetie pie) and the Linda Gottlieb (from anything but an aesthetics standpoint, most her ideas were SHIT, and most of the B/C stories on OLTL were straight up garbage. And a lot of her OLTL truly did play like an ABC Afterschool special. Someone mentioned that above and it was brilliant.

I guess that lady from Y&R who played Laurel on OLTL from 84-86? (married to Larry on the show- in real life she sings and plays the piano) said+ allegedly+ that Paul Rauch was absolutely vicious, and played people against each other. He was so bad, allegedly, that the show/ABC was fined by the UNION. This is all at the same timeframe that Ellen is talking about- This guy must have came onto this show like a demon!

The irony is I fucking love the Paul Rauch era- especially 85-88. 1990-91 was absolutely horrible.

When you look back, the Gottlieb era- minus those key stories- AIDS Quilt, Marty's Rape, then Todd/Nora, Todd/Marty- the show was boring as a dishrag. So many of the supporting actors were boring as shit, as were the cliched storylines.. The only "B" storyline that worked was Carlo and Alex. They were electric- and SCARY! Loved all of their sex games- It was like those two characters were on a different show. And the show looked stunning. It is amazing how different Rauch and Gottlieb's shows LOOKED- Its interesting.

by Anonymousreply 164February 16, 2021 7:14 PM

And I will never believe that Slezak said what Holly says she did. That is an absolute lie. And a disgusting one.

And I like Ellen, and she was 100% treated like GARBAGE- and it is shameful. And Lillian as well.

And honestly, I think her Rauch memories are as scary as they allegedly were.

by Anonymousreply 165February 16, 2021 7:16 PM

And as far as Gottlieb goes- most of the old time cast members- Slezak, Woods, Ritchie, Carey, Depaiva- fucking hated her.

My recollection was that she was an incredibly chic, well dressed and elegant woman, but totally not qualified for daytime tv- despite producing Dirty Dancing. Most of the actors did not like the direction of their characters or the show. Slezak said as much on a Locher Room- That Linda ultimately was not good for the show.

In remember a quote that Woods or Ritchie might have said-

Linda tells you the door is always open, but when you walk upstairs to talk to her- the door is closed.

by Anonymousreply 166February 16, 2021 7:19 PM

Has Vee from SON commented yet? He’s the expert and knows everything that ever went on behind the scenes. He’s in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 167February 16, 2021 7:33 PM

[quote]And I will never believe that Slezak said what Holly says she did.

To me, and I guess I'm in the minority, is that Ellen believes that Slezak said it and that's all that matters. Ellen has been incredibly consistent over the years about that comment and has never backed down from it.

Personally, I don't think that Slezak would have said something like that publicly.

But you know what, if that set was as toxic as legend has said that it was at that particular time, then maybe someone told Ellen that Slezak said that to stir up shit. Or maybe she misheard something. This could all be a gigantic misunderstanding.

I just have hated over the years how Ellen has gotten painted as a crazy.

Every story has multiple sides.

by Anonymousreply 168February 16, 2021 7:45 PM

Well fuck those asshole actors. They wanted typical soap stories that had been done to death. Gottlieb changed OLTL into powerful drama that could have been good for night time or films. I remember everyone on college campuses tried to schedule their classes so they could catch OLTL when it was actually on and would watch in large groups. That never happened with any soap before. The Gottlieb/Malone/Griffith combination was magic. That soaps never went with the times is one of the reasons most aren't on anymore, including OLTL. Gottlieb's touch would have made a difference if they stayed as exciting and powerful as they were during her short time on the show.

by Anonymousreply 169February 16, 2021 8:08 PM

Didn’t DePaiva flip over a sofa on the set after an argument with Gottlieb?

by Anonymousreply 170February 16, 2021 8:50 PM

I think that was Roger Howarth after a fight with Pam Long and it was a chair. He was pissed when he found out the DID story was going to be fake copied from some movie what was popular at the time. Only the movie was done seriously. Clown acting from Howarth was born from that whole thing. He never seemed to put his heart into anything on OLTL or ATWT after that. He just phoned it in and collected his paycheck, to this day. There was talk of the original story, as written by Labine before she was fired by JFP and joke writer Long took her place was of Emmy winning caliber. It was the kind of story that would have gotten Howarth noticed by night time and films if he played it right and if anyone remembers the very beginning of the DID story he was playing it very real and seriously and suddenly he was playing it for laughs. Too bad. I always wondered if he had the chops to do a story like that, about the raping of Todd as a child, right.

Many years later he would play the story of his GH character, Franco, remembering being raped as a 4 year old boy and while he was a little better during the big reveal in that story, it was just so so. It wasn't Emmy winning material. In fact I think the actor who played his childhood "almost" brother, did a better job with his part in the that story, how he reacted to and helped Franco and such.

Well one thing for sure, the fucking up Todd's DID story on OLTL back in 1998 sure brought out a slew of some amazingly written fan fictions. I remember thinking if only some of those writers were actually writing the show.

by Anonymousreply 171February 16, 2021 11:10 PM

[quote] Forbes March recently said on The Locher Room that Slee tried to get him fired.

Did he say why?

by Anonymousreply 172February 16, 2021 11:14 PM

R196, that is such bullshit. Colleges were watching soap operas in groups way, way before Gottlieb. Luke and Laura ring a bell? Nina and Cliff? Jenny and Greg?

by Anonymousreply 173February 16, 2021 11:14 PM

ABC soaps played throughout the day in the student union when I was in college. All My Children typically got the biggest crowds because it was on at lunchtime. Luke and Laura also brought in many viewers in the student union, but lots of others went back to their dorms to watch GH.

by Anonymousreply 174February 16, 2021 11:20 PM

Ratings under Gottlieb weren’t spectacular. They were average, at best.

by Anonymousreply 175February 17, 2021 8:00 AM

Forbes March said, in a joking way, that Erika Slezak wanted him to be let go at the beginning of his time on OLTL, but that, when he was in fact let go years later, she argued for him to be kept on. It was said quickly and in a joking manner (and with people talking over him) such that it was hard to know how serious he was.

by Anonymousreply 176February 17, 2021 1:41 PM

R176 No. Forbes meant it. Slee tried to get him fired at first because they didn’t click. Very different work styles. They probably got used to each other as time went on. But he meant it when he said that Slee tried to get him fired. She ain’t so saint but you didn’t hear that from me.

by Anonymousreply 177February 17, 2021 7:13 PM

That Llanview book is really worth a read. $5 on Kindle, not bad at all.

by Anonymousreply 178February 17, 2021 7:15 PM

In the most recent Locher Room, Francesca James spoke about her early start on OLTL. The show rewrote a role to fit her and this was Francesca's start w/ her long career alongside Agnes Nixon. Francesca went on to win DaytimeEmmys for both acting and producing. I believe she is the only person to win for both...

by Anonymousreply 179February 18, 2021 1:50 PM

Francesca was Ruth Warrick's caretaker, if I recall correctly.

by Anonymousreply 180February 18, 2021 1:57 PM

Francesca is a lezzie.

by Anonymousreply 181February 18, 2021 2:10 PM

lezzie snatch snatch eaten clogged toilet snatch snatch snatch dyke!

by Anonymousreply 182February 18, 2021 2:28 PM

never shoulda been cancelled

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183February 19, 2021 2:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184February 19, 2021 4:02 PM

Would love to know the real story behind the AMC and OLTL cancellations. The 2 stars of each show differ in opinions. Lucci blames Frons and Slezak says it went much higher than Frons.

by Anonymousreply 185February 19, 2021 6:25 PM

Frons made a lot of bad decisions that helped seal their fate but I think he would have preferred to keep them. He was a fan of the genre, he just didn't know how to save them.

by Anonymousreply 186February 19, 2021 6:29 PM

This is what I think based on what I've read and general subtext. ABC was planning to do a slow phase out of soaps. They decided to move AMC to LA where it would be cheaper to produce. They left OLTL in NYC because they planned to cancel it to make way for a 3rd hour of Good Morning America.

Because OLTL was the highest rated soap on the lineup, they could not justify cancelling OLTL and not AMC. OLTL was higher rated, but AMC was the more iconic show, so they just decided to cancel them both and go with cheaper chat programming.

If the Chew and the Revolution (?) would have been successful, I have no doubt that GH probably would have gone the following year. Eventually The Chew built an audience, the other one was not so lucky and they eventually turned that hour back over to the affiliates for the Couric talk show.

As for the 3rd hour of GMA, because of the popularity of the Kelly Ripa talk show, they can't get three consecutive hours. Which is better for ratings, ad buys, and just general program synergy.

I believe in my gut, that the only thing that keeps GH on the air is Days of our Lives. The minute NBC decides to cancel Days, expect a GH announcement to follow. ABC is like Proctor and Gamble, they want out, but they are waiting for someone else to pull the trigger first.

by Anonymousreply 187February 19, 2021 6:54 PM

R187 Yeah, once one of the remaining four go, they all will.

B&B might continue on as a CBS All Access show because it's so popular overseas. But they won't run it on the network first run.

by Anonymousreply 188February 19, 2021 7:03 PM

ABC so desperately wants the 9 am hour for GMA but the Ripa/Miss Seacrest programme remains popular on so many ABC affiliates. They can’t kick that cunt out.

by Anonymousreply 189February 19, 2021 10:59 PM

Mon dieu!

by Anonymousreply 190February 20, 2021 1:08 AM

I miss Llanview

by Anonymousreply 191February 20, 2021 1:15 AM

It is true that OLTL should never have been cancelled. Stupid decision by whoever was responsible.

by Anonymousreply 192February 20, 2021 1:38 AM

oltl was overrated. atwt was better

by Anonymousreply 193February 20, 2021 1:38 AM

Wie auch immer...

by Anonymousreply 194February 20, 2021 2:03 PM

Atwt was a mess under Goutman and Pissanante. They deserved to be cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 195February 20, 2021 2:20 PM

I always felt bad for OLTL. It was the Jan of ABC daytime, while GH was Marcia and AMC was Cindy. It always got lost in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 196February 20, 2021 2:31 PM

Has this thread been Murieled. I don't like that a tall.

by Anonymousreply 197February 25, 2021 9:42 PM

Is Viki Sleestack joining the OLTL reboot?

by Anonymousreply 198February 25, 2021 10:45 PM

Dumb Dylan is steering the Llanview reboot. He got permission from Vee, who is in the biz

by Anonymousreply 199February 27, 2021 7:35 PM

It's amazing how well they pulled it off "live week", except for a very few small glitches you wouldn't even know it was filmed live. Kassie DePavia is especially great in the live format, but all the actors bring it. These are big shows, there is even a Cher look-a-like in the Vegas scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 16, 2021 11:22 AM

Its 50 years this week since Viki Sleestack started on OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 201March 16, 2021 1:37 PM

In these scenes, Tina is having sex with David Vickers, who she still thinks is her brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202August 7, 2021 6:23 AM

I know she was the least popular of the main Tinas, but I came to appreciate Krista Tesreau later, she had good chemistry with Tuc and was also quite funny in the role, any of the other actresses and this would have been too heavy.

by Anonymousreply 203August 7, 2021 6:34 AM

I still love this show. Megan's Death and Marty's Gang Rape are seriously two of the best told stories ever on daytime. BJ's death on GH is the only other story I think was like prime time level.

by Anonymousreply 204August 7, 2021 6:36 AM

This was just the start of OLTL's storylines from late 1994, soon after this came Dorian seducing her step-grandson Joe for revenge against Viki (for her being on death row for Victor's murder), which led to Viki remembering she had been raped by her own father.

They were obviously going all out for a ratings war at this time, as there's lots of sex and naughtiness.

Marlena's possession on Days of Our Lives was starting up at this point, but that era did not age well. This 1993/1994 era of OLTL looks like it could have been made yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 205August 7, 2021 6:42 AM

Judith Light is rightfully considered the best performance on daytime ever but even above La Slezak, Susan Haskell gave an indelible performance for 2 or 3 years. Because the show didn't let the trauma just end from one season to the next. The actress carried it with her anytime she played the character. That never happens on daytime.

by Anonymousreply 206August 7, 2021 6:50 AM

Haskell was given an incredibly challenging storyline in '93/'94, in which she only got better as time went on. When the show realized it had a star on its hands with Roger Howarth, they went through a period of heavy-handed rehabilitation for his rapist character Todd, showing he had a sensitive side and making him an anti-hero. Haskell was the one who did all the hard work in that period that Howarth gets most of the credit for.

by Anonymousreply 207August 7, 2021 7:02 AM

R207 Never heard it put that way but you are just right.

by Anonymousreply 208August 7, 2021 7:04 AM

Haskell and Howarth were magic together. I remember a scene during some car accident where Todd is trying to pull Marty out of a burning car and she won't let him touch her. "I need to know that you feel bad". It was an amazing performance by Haskell.

by Anonymousreply 209August 7, 2021 7:12 AM

If only Dee Dee Halls had been cast as Karen Wolek, and it was she who had the breakdown on the witness stand, then she might have been the one who starred in a cheesy '80s sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 210August 7, 2021 7:21 AM

Despite 1993-1994's great additions like Todd, Marty, David Vickers, Blair, there were some not-so-great characters added to OLTL at this time.

Sloan Carpenter for one. Not sure why Viki married him, he's kind of dour, and not great looking like Viki's usual husbands, she was obviously still attracted to Clint at the time. His son the priest was also dour.

Also, Luna, not sure what the point of her character was, but she reminds me of that other pointless character Felicity LaFortune played on AMC at the time.

Tonja Walker's big, flashy character Alex Olanov was starting to seem like something out of the Dynasty era at this point, she was at odds with all the realism.

by Anonymousreply 211August 7, 2021 7:52 AM

Haskell helped Howarth become a star. While he was great with almost all his costars. He became a star because Haskell was so good.

by Anonymousreply 212August 7, 2021 7:58 AM

R211 Also, Carlotta was another good addition in 1994. Followed by her son Cristian. The character Carlotta was mentioned as being Dorian's maid in 1993, and then she appeared in 1994 when she helped Dorain launder money in her penthouse, but she was first played by a much older actress than Patricia Mauceri.

It's tragic that Mauceri wasn't interested in her yummy son Cristian being allowed to play gay on the show though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213August 7, 2021 9:14 AM

R203 I never thought Tesreau was a terrible actress (she has an Emmy nomination from 1987, for Best Ingenue in GL) but she was out of her depth with Slezak, and even Strasser. She seemed genuinely intimidated by Slezak, and I don't think she shared as many scenes with either of them as much as Andrea Evans, who could hold her own. Also, Tesreau's strong Southern accent was a little offputting.

by Anonymousreply 214August 7, 2021 10:07 AM

R211 I'd add Laura Koffman as another great addition in the early 90s. Beautiful and just lit up the screen with her warmth.

by Anonymousreply 215August 7, 2021 10:20 AM

Powell was Marty's sexiest rapist. He had a hot ass. And in real life, the actor playing him later dropped out of acting to become a practicing attorney and DA in Denver.

Powell was one instrumental in rehabilitating the Todd character, because Powell was initially sympathetic and a clean-cut preppie, but later shown to be a bigger psycho than even Todd.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216August 7, 2021 10:43 AM

Giving Todd those two sickeningly sweet child actors to show his protective side to as the rape story came to a close. THAT is how far they were willing to go rehabilitate his character into a bad-boy from a sicko.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217August 7, 2021 11:05 AM

Todd should have been Kevin. It would have made the show much more interesting and the character that much more complicated. I understand why shows don't want to make the Kevins evil and the Joeys gay, but it's good drama. And the show ending up playing Todd as, more or less, Vicki's son.

by Anonymousreply 218August 7, 2021 2:25 PM

The Marty Saybrooke rape scenes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219August 7, 2021 3:15 PM

I can't believe the Marty Saybrooke rape was ever televised the way it was.

Haskell, drunk as a skunk, used by THREE guys, not to mention terrorized beforehand. I thought they were quite strict about adult content being shown in an afternoon timeslot in the early Nineties? This was disturbing. And the production values made it look like a feature movie. The acting by everyone involved in the story was flawless.

by Anonymousreply 220August 8, 2021 12:04 PM

I haven't seen it in total, but I have heard the writing from the Nora Hanen courtroom scenes of her defending Todd rivaled the best nighttime drama, and her closing arguments were riveting. Those scenes gave Hillary a win for the Outstanding Lead Actress Emmy that year.

by Anonymousreply 221August 8, 2021 12:13 PM

OLTL deserves enormous credit for the Marty Saybrooke story. It was brave and riveting. You have to hand it to OLTL -- there was a lot of silly stuff, but when they focused on a serious story, they delivered. Even the out-of-this-world stories were at least fun (Clint goes back into the past and Viki follows him, Eterna, Viki goes onto a spaceship and sees her dead relatives). I really miss it.

by Anonymousreply 222August 8, 2021 12:35 PM

R213 This was the scene Mauceri had a problem with. A short scene where Carlotta tells her son she would accept him being gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223August 8, 2021 1:10 PM

From what I recall, HBS ad libbed a lot of her closing arguments in the rape trial. She had the basic script to guide her but got permission to ad lib. Then, as prearranged, when she recited a particular line, which was in the script, that was the judge's cue to interrupt her. The judges' lines were all scripted.

by Anonymousreply 224August 8, 2021 1:12 PM

R223 Now Carlotta makes Christianity-themed movies.

"People will say ‘Oh you’re so courageous, taking a stand.’ Well, between you, me, and the lamppost, I almost didn’t make the decision. I just remember re-writing that scene and having the executive producer say they were sending the proposed changes to network...Within 15 minutes he called me back and said, ‘It stays as written.’ And in that moment, I just said, “Thank you very much for 14 years, I appreciate that.’ And I didn't even know that I said it!.. The Holy Spirit said it!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225August 8, 2021 1:15 PM

Haskell's Emmy reel from 1994. Notice when she wins, she hugs Hillary but brushes past Agnes Nixon quickly without even a handshake. Was that the protocol with Aggie, if you won something you couldn't touch or hug?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226August 9, 2021 8:53 AM

Aggie looked gorgeous in her sequined white gown.

by Anonymousreply 227August 9, 2021 8:57 AM

Watching the clip posted by R223 made me ache for OLTL. I watched it as a teenager because it came on after Dark Shadows. It followed it intermittently during college but then afterwards watched it steadily. I even recorded it on my VCR when I went abroad for work or travel. When it was good, it was great, and when it was bad, it was laughable. But it was a community of people I knew and cared about. Even seeing that little clip -- and I remember when there was suddenly a new Carlotta -- I recalled how interestingly they handled the Fish-is-gay story, not to mention how capably David Fumero handled his straight-guy-friend role. And how unbelievable beautiful Layla was. Did I mention David Fumero's guns?

by Anonymousreply 228August 9, 2021 11:49 AM

R224 it was Todd that stopped her "What the hell are you doing!!??" That was the cue and it was riveting.

by Anonymousreply 229August 12, 2021 4:50 PM

I don't remember lines from the courtroom scene as I have with other scenes/shows but I remember it was goooood

by Anonymousreply 230August 12, 2021 8:17 PM

Here is the whole episode. She was wonderful in the bathroom scenes too questioning herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231August 12, 2021 10:11 PM

In this scene which leads up to the trial, Nora catches Todd in a lie. Again, nicely played by HBS.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232August 13, 2021 10:32 AM

R231 I'm surprised Nora Hanen Gannon Buchanan was ever allowed to practice law again after performing a coup like that on her own client.

by Anonymousreply 233August 13, 2021 11:30 AM

R233 she was almost disbarred. It was a piece of story for her after Todd terrorized her in those excellent Wait Until Dark sequences she had with Roger Howarth where both amazing in for daytime. One of the episodes was her second tape with the courtroom summation that won her the Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 234August 14, 2021 6:41 AM

Was Nora with Ty Treadway on the show for a while? Nora, like Viki and Dorian got much better looking and younger cute guys in the 90s/2000s.

by Anonymousreply 235August 14, 2021 8:39 AM

R235 yes

by Anonymousreply 236August 15, 2021 5:42 AM

Damn Roger Howarth was so good as Todd. He has been terrible in everything after.

by Anonymousreply 237August 15, 2021 5:52 AM

This is one Emmy worthy performance by Haskell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238August 15, 2021 6:07 AM

Susan Lucci recently did a remembrance about her experiences of working in NY on 9/11. So sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239August 17, 2021 1:43 AM

I know a few of the people that were working on NY shows that day. A whole bunch of people on ATWT, cast and crew, were stuck in their building for a while.

by Anonymousreply 240August 17, 2021 1:51 AM

Lucci says the same things in a bit more detail in her book. Eden lived Downtown, and was hysterical because her family's home had been destroyed. Bianca's coming out was being filmed on AMC then.

You can see exactly when 9/11 occurs. It registers on the actor's faces even if the shows don't mention it. There is a change when storylines go from being upbeat and normal, to lots of tears and anger. The scenes also become much smaller and more intimate for a couple of weeks.

by Anonymousreply 241August 17, 2021 2:03 AM

Ilene Kristen (OLTL's Roxy Balsom) also has a 9/11 story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242August 17, 2021 2:26 AM

I still miss Marco Dane.

by Anonymousreply 243August 17, 2021 6:04 AM

A tribute to Agnes Nixon. With Susan Lucci, Erika Slezak, Debbie Morgan, Darnell Williams, Peter Bergman and Carol Burnett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244August 23, 2021 1:20 PM

There is a new series of novels on Amazon...The Magnolia Chronicles. The first Magnolias and...Honeysuckle and Poinsettias was just released and the book is dedicated to a lot of soap creators:

[quote] Irna Phillips, Agnes Nixon, Frank and Doris Hursley, Bill and Lee Phillip Bell, Roy Winsor, Irving Vendig, Dan Curtis, Douglas Marland, Claire Labine, Tony Warren, Kevin Laffan, David Jacobs, Richard and Esther Shapiro and Earl Hamner Jr. And all the writers and actors of their genre.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245August 24, 2021 5:48 AM

Did Clint Ritchie care to participate in any homosex at all?

by Anonymousreply 246August 24, 2021 10:39 AM

Cliint Ritchie was one of the "boys" of Henry Wilson, the infamous agent of Rock Hudson and quite a few other studs. If you watched OLTL when Ritchie came on, he was extraordinarily handsome and virile. My hypothesis is that he became quite the drinker over his guilt for having "participated in the homosex."

by Anonymousreply 247August 24, 2021 11:47 AM

R247 That's what I thought, based on his co-star's descriptions of him - "brilliant, troubled, complex". It all sounds like code words for someone who perhaps is not outright gay, but whose life included some intimate male relationships.

by Anonymousreply 248August 24, 2021 12:40 PM

Clint Ritchie never got undressed that much on the show, he was too old by the time actors were required to do that. But he did take that shirtless dip in the pool with Echo DiSavoy where she tried to seduce him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249August 24, 2021 1:09 PM

He had a nice body back then. Too bad he didn't take his shirt off more often. John Loprieno, who played his son, was shirtless a lot in his early days and sometimes wore very revealing speedos. Huge bulge.

by Anonymousreply 250August 24, 2021 5:16 PM

Love this. Judith Light discusses how she was on the verge of quitting acting when the role of Karen came up serendipitously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251August 28, 2021 9:47 AM

Part II: Hooker Housewife.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252August 28, 2021 9:54 AM

And you think YOU are a slut Karen?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253August 28, 2021 12:47 PM

Deck the halls with boughs of holly! Erika is to appear in a new movie for Christmas time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254August 31, 2021 2:26 AM

For DLers who want to be in Erika's movie, they are casting for extras in Norwich, CT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255August 31, 2021 2:33 AM

I’m glad, this will make for a wonderful Christmas present. Now surely lifetime can fashion a movie about a crazy older woman with DID for her to star in next Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 256August 31, 2021 5:46 AM

Now that Lifetime only airs movies with unknown Canadian actors, Hallmark seems to be the destination for soap stars. Ali Sweeney's got a whole mystery series I keep meaning to check out.

by Anonymousreply 257August 31, 2021 12:12 PM

I miss OLTL every day.

by Anonymousreply 258August 31, 2021 2:00 PM

Me too, R258.

by Anonymousreply 259August 31, 2021 2:48 PM

R241 This is good example of how the shows changed in the month or so after 9/11. The most noticeable thing is there are American flags draped everywhere in so many of these scenes. I remember how refreshing that seemed at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 3, 2021 11:09 AM

Some footage of One Life to Live actors rehearsing in their tiny studio. I knew One Life to Live studios were small, but I did not expect so cramped and tiny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261September 5, 2021 11:15 AM

Thank you for posting that, R261! Very cool to see so many former players: Yasmine Bleeth, etc. as well as those who’ve since died like Phil Carey and Clint Ritchie.

by Anonymousreply 262September 5, 2021 6:16 PM

So interesting to see the behind-the-scenes footage. Who was the woman who couldn't take her hands off of Bob Woods?

by Anonymousreply 263September 5, 2021 6:48 PM

Few here remember these fossils, pops. You might as well be posting the society pages from the 1920s.

by Anonymousreply 264September 5, 2021 6:51 PM

R261’s video is c. late 80s/early 90s I’d guess.

by Anonymousreply 265September 5, 2021 6:54 PM

What is the remark by R264 for, i.e., what is its purpose?

by Anonymousreply 266September 5, 2021 7:12 PM

Megan having lupus was mentioned in the video so it's around '92. During that story they introduced Marty Saybrooke

by Anonymousreply 267September 5, 2021 11:56 PM

That video is late 1991 or early 92-- Very early in Gottlieb's run. You can tell by the sets and Laura B as Cassie.. The new revamped Llanfair is there.

And watch closely at 2:09 or so, the extremely handsome (and young) Frank Valentini walks through the set during Clint and Phil's rehearsal.

by Anonymousreply 268September 6, 2021 12:10 AM

Sorry- Frank walks by at 2:02.

And this is fall of 1991 I think-

by Anonymousreply 269September 6, 2021 12:12 AM

Holy shit- That's new Sarah and Megan later in the video. Grace Phillips.

I read that they live near each other in CA and are still friends today

by Anonymousreply 270September 6, 2021 12:16 AM

Damn, Frank was good looking.

by Anonymousreply 271September 6, 2021 12:26 AM

R261 Impressive that they managed to make good work in that small studio. You can tell the way the sets were formed that it wasn't huge, but you couln not swing a cat in that place. The cramped space, and low celings were the reason the massive Eterna sets had to be filmed in a different studio.

by Anonymousreply 272September 6, 2021 1:24 AM

Sleestak was at her remarkable 'alpha woman' best during the Eterna show. Teenage Viki was played by Amy Locane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273September 6, 2021 1:39 AM

Isn't Amy Locane batshit crazy?

by Anonymousreply 274September 6, 2021 5:01 AM

I always got Amy Locane mixed up with Jensen Buchanan.

by Anonymousreply 275September 6, 2021 5:09 AM

R213: It's been a while since I've heard anything about that, "fine", David Fumero. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 276September 15, 2021 4:46 AM

Victoria Lord Gordon Riley Burke Buchanan Carpenter Davidson Banks demands to know why HER thread receives less worship than those dowdy old P&G threads! Is it because there was never any organ music playing when she shifted personalities? Does she have to dispatch Nikki, Tori and Jean Randolph to whoop each and every one of your asses?

by Anonymousreply 277September 17, 2021 1:36 PM

What am I, Saint Vikki, chopped liver?

signed,

Dr. Dorian Cramer Lord Callison Santi Vickers Hayes Laurence Buchanan Bennett Buchanan

by Anonymousreply 278September 17, 2021 10:40 PM

Will Viki have a part in the new Pine Valley show?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279September 18, 2021 12:20 PM

Careful, Dorian. Jealousy is unbecoming to a woman YOUR age.

by Anonymousreply 280September 18, 2021 1:45 PM

Whatever happened to Viki's #1 arch nemesis Marcy Wade?

by Anonymousreply 281September 18, 2021 3:53 PM

r232. Haskell was marvelous with Howarth but I've always thought Hilary B Smith was just as good with him. They could really light it up. She also played very well off Trevor St John

by Anonymousreply 282October 3, 2021 4:46 AM

The people at SON think that Llanview is an actual place hahahahah

by Anonymousreply 283October 3, 2021 5:01 AM

HBS got really lucky to get a blockbuster story within her first couple of years on the show. Unfortunately it was pretty obvious then she was never gonna get anything that good again.

by Anonymousreply 284October 3, 2021 5:05 AM

In a strange way, I'm glad they decided to make Howarth and Trevor St. John separate characters. They had such different takes on the role. Howarth played Todd as a damaged, slightly deranged young man with complex emotions. St. John played Todd as a sexy and sadistic devil and, compelling as he was to watch, he brought less complexity to the character. Of course, I'd rather get fucked by St. John than by Howarth any day.

by Anonymousreply 285October 3, 2021 12:17 PM

The old GH thread is locked now, so I'm linking to the new one here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286October 4, 2021 8:33 AM

Why did Bob Woods abruptly quit OLTL and join Days of Our Lives in 1986 as Paul?

He moved him and his family to the West Coast for DAYS

Someone at OLTL must have pissed him off

by Anonymousreply 287October 4, 2021 8:44 AM

Remember to watch Miss Victoria Sleestack’s Hallmark Christmas Movie on November 6!!!! Next Stop, Christmas. Another Emmy for our beloved Victoria.

by Anonymousreply 288October 4, 2021 8:48 AM

r288

by Anonymousreply 289October 4, 2021 9:36 AM

Were they chem testing Bob Woods with Deidre Hall (Marlena) over on DAYS when he joined ?

He had a lot of scenes with scenery chewing, overacting Patsy Pease (Kimberly) but also has a lot with Deidre, not Drake Hogestyn had just debuted as “Roman” so I think if his “Roman” didn’t take off, they would have put Marlena with Paul, if that would have happened, Woods never would have returned to OLTL and we wouldn’t have Bo and Nora

by Anonymousreply 290October 4, 2021 5:17 PM

Whatever happened to Dorian Strassman? Is she still bitching about not being invited to GH?

by Anonymousreply 291October 5, 2021 1:49 AM

Vee, who is in the biz, blocked Dorian’s grand entrance into Port Charles.

by Anonymousreply 292October 5, 2021 1:55 AM

Just watched an episode from July 2003. The younger set is horrible. The entire episode featured Cris, Natalie, Rex, Joe, and Jen). None of them can act. The woman who played Jen was the worst--though Joe was pretty damn close. When David Fumero (Cris) is the best of the set, you're in trouble.

by Anonymousreply 293October 19, 2021 5:31 PM

OLTL has had its fair share of weak performers, but this video from 2011 is an example of a masterclass of vocal fry. People who suffer from seizures beware.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294October 20, 2021 7:55 AM

Kourtney Kardashian is no Gillian Spencer.

by Anonymousreply 295October 20, 2021 7:58 AM

Andrea Evans abs her excellent campy self needs to come on to Days of Our Lives, Ron can hook her up, her campy overacting fits right in at DAYS

WE gays need this

by Anonymousreply 296October 20, 2021 7:59 AM

Vee, shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 297October 20, 2021 8:11 AM

Still missing OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 298October 20, 2021 12:04 PM

Sometimes I go to youtube to watch Peabo Bryson singing OLTL's best opening music, although Peabo sings the whole song which is great. I wish he had released it on an album.

by Anonymousreply 299October 20, 2021 12:05 PM

We get Vicky Sleestack in a Hallmark Christmas movie. That’s all. No Dorian Strassman on GH, no Tina Lord back as Patti on Y&R, no Hillary Bitch- Smith on B&B.

by Anonymousreply 300October 20, 2021 5:38 PM

OLTL was the most overrated East Coast soap in its last half decade. Queen Giddens and Garbage Nellie “Dougie Davidson punched me” Branco are the only reason it got undeserved attention. The characters and premise were always terrible.

by Anonymousreply 301October 20, 2021 6:10 PM

Speaking of old Nellie, why hasn’t ONE person come forward to back up his story about Doug? Nellie said that there was a roomful of witnesses but not 1 person ever backed up his story. Hmmmmmmmmm Maybe Nellie lied???? lololololololol

by Anonymousreply 302October 20, 2021 6:57 PM

Ugh, is that Wendy Williams' ho ass?

by Anonymousreply 303October 20, 2021 7:16 PM

Isn’t Wendy dead?

by Anonymousreply 304October 20, 2021 9:50 PM

If you remember Wendy had a recurring role on OLTL towards the end hosting some Llanview gossip show all the characters watched. I liked it as a device, because it both provided a recap for viewers while sharing news among the characters at the same time. So say two people were caught kissing, everybody would find out, at once, and we wouldn't have to have three episodes of people discovering it.

by Anonymousreply 305October 20, 2021 11:45 PM

Lucci looking forward to the "very cleverly done" remake of AMC - Pine Valley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306November 1, 2021 1:09 PM

Comparing this new show to Days of Our Lives, Beyond Salem does not fill me with much confidence. That was the pits even if it starred Eileen Davidson and Lisa Rinna. I hope it's nothing like that.

by Anonymousreply 307November 1, 2021 1:14 PM

Who is that queen talking to La Looch? He’s a terrible interviewer!

by Anonymousreply 308November 1, 2021 1:54 PM

OLTL was an awful show that only people like Nellie Branco and the Daytime Confidential queens could stomach.

by Anonymousreply 309November 2, 2021 9:02 PM

Nellie Branco is a friggen mess. He still doesn’t know when to shut up. Where’s Doug Davidson when you need him?

by Anonymousreply 310November 3, 2021 1:55 AM

A reboot with the Lord Siblings is the way to go! The younger generation can be mixed in - finally meet CJ who is a Lord and a Buchanan!!!

by Anonymousreply 311November 3, 2021 1:42 PM

It could be called "House of Lord" or "House of Lords." Viki, the matriarch, her trouble-making sister Tina, her insecure and meddlesome step-mother Dorian, and then new generations of offspring. Tina's son, studly C.J. Roberts and Viki's grandchildren by her two daughters, round out the Lord family cast.

by Anonymousreply 312November 3, 2021 1:56 PM

It’s sad that GH won’t bring on any of the OLTL characters. Especially since Frank was at OL for so long. You’d think he’d have some space in his heart for Llanview. I wonder why he is so against it. I remember that non GH fans were going to tune into GH when Hilary Bailey Smith showed up briefly a couple years ago. But that went nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 313November 3, 2021 1:59 PM

Sorry, couldn’t find the current OLTL thread. On The Locher Room yesterday Ron Carlivati was asked what storyline was he most disappointed didn’t make it to air and he said it was one in which Roxy (Ilene Kristen) was actually Rex’s father, not his mother. She was a trans. And his mother was Allison Perkins (Barbara Garrick). I think that storyline really could have worked but Frons was too chicken shit. Wasn’t there a nerdy character sometime in the late 80s/early 90s with blond hair and glasses? I thought his name was Bruce. He could easily have been Roxy pre op.

by Anonymousreply 314June 23, 2022 4:13 AM

R314 I think this thread is the current one (or at least people have still been posting there this week).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315June 23, 2022 4:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!