Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Little Things (2021)

On HBO Max, with the delicious little Rami Malek, big-dicked Jared Leto, and Denzel Washington (a bitch got fat...and old!).

"A psychological thriller from director John Lee Hancock following two cops, one haunted by echoes of his past, investigating a series of murders in Los Angeles."

Good story. Brilliant acting. Excellent pandemic lockup popcorn movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 11, 2021 8:06 PM

I enjoyed it. Denzel is officially old and fat. Leto is in his natural habitat playing creepy and uncomfortable. I can’t get past Malek’s alien face but fine pandemic watch. It ain’t winning any awards.

by Anonymousreply 1January 30, 2021 9:07 AM

Dumped to HBOMax.

by Anonymousreply 2January 30, 2021 9:30 AM

tired of denzy.....how many of these pix has the old girl done????

by Anonymousreply 3January 30, 2021 10:08 AM

Already a thread for this, thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2021 10:11 AM

Well, which thread do you cunts want us to post in?

by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2021 10:16 AM

I didn't recognize Jared Leto at first. Why must "creepy friendless blue-collar guy" always have brown eyes?

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2021 10:17 AM

Saw this, enjoyed it. I love denzel but malik was terrible in it.

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2021 10:18 AM

Denzel at 66 already has the rheumy eyes of a 90 year old

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2021 10:19 AM

R1 is right. It won't win any awards.

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2021 10:25 AM

Slow. Excruciatingly slow at some points. Some scenes are red herrings and ultimately don't fit into the rest of the movie. Leto's character could've been great but ultimately comes across as a refrigerator repairman with Asperger's. Denzel plays the same role that Denzel always plays.

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2021 10:41 AM

very poorly cast, was disappointed in it.

Denzy looks ill,,

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2021 10:58 AM

Not a single male nurse scene. Rami was wasted in this.

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2021 3:16 PM

Roger Ebert review. Not good.

Movies like “The Little Things” feel like a vanishing breed. In the wake of the success of “The Silence of the Lambs,” there seemed to be a dark, brooding thriller adaptation every week with titles like “Kiss the Girls” and “The Bone Collector,” and it felt like half of them starred Denzel Washington. In recent years, this genre has largely become the product of television, as shows like “True Detective” and “Mindhunter” have taken on stories of men haunted by the crimes they investigate. That’s part of what makes “The Little Things” feel dated, although the way it recalls better films with similar themes, particularly David Fincher’s “Seven,” does it no favors too. It’s a movie that's constantly on the verge of developing into something as intense and haunting as writer/director John Lee Hancock wants it to be, but it never achieves its goals, especially in its final half-hour. Some of the major stuff here works, including a performance from Washington that’s better than the movie around it (yet again), some striking L.A. cinematography, and an effective score, but one could say that it’s the little things that hold it back. A few big things too.

Joe Deacon (Washington) is a disgraced former L.A. cop who now works in Bakersfield, living alone on the edge of society. Our story unfolds in 1990 for little reason other than proximity to The Night Stalker case, which still hangs in the air when a new serial killer emerges in the City of Angels (and "The Little Things" was reportedly initially written a quarter-century ago, which could explain why it feels so much like the potboilers of that era). It’s revealed that ‘Deke’ lost his marriage, had a heart attack, and had to leave town because of a particularly brutal case that he couldn't solve. He’s haunted and unwanted by his former colleagues, including Captain Carl Farris (Terry Kinney) and Detective Sal Rizoli (Chris Bauer), but Deke gets sucked back into that which nearly destroyed him when he ends up helping his replacement, Jim Baxter (Rami Malek) with the serial killer case that’s terrifying the city. It’s not long before they discover that a loner named Albert Sparma (Jared Leto) is their likely suspect, and “The Little Things” becomes a cat and mouse game between the two detectives and the creepiest guy in L.A., a disturbing character who appears to get off on playing games with the cops.

(Continued at link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2021 5:12 PM

So was Sparma the killer or not? I fell asleep when he had Malek in his car headed out of town.

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2021 5:17 PM

This movie was a snoozefest. My sister hated it too.

by Anonymousreply 15January 30, 2021 5:21 PM

My mom liked it. But then again, she liked WW84.

by Anonymousreply 16January 30, 2021 5:52 PM

[QUOTE] Some of the major stuff here works, including a performance from Washington that’s better than the movie around it (yet again), some striking L.A. cinematography, and an effective score, but one could say that it’s the little things that hold it back. A few big things too.

Denzel churning out a good performance alone makes movies watchable for a lot of folks. Many people love seeing Denzel work.

by Anonymousreply 17January 30, 2021 5:55 PM

Malek is really bad in this.

He does this thing with his mouth that is comically distracting.

by Anonymousreply 18January 31, 2021 2:42 AM

Was Cicada Bug doing a Willem Dafoe vocal impression on purpose?

What's that about?

by Anonymousreply 19January 31, 2021 10:50 AM

Yes, Malik was miscast, and overall not a good movie. Was this actually supposed to end up in a movie theater?

by Anonymousreply 20January 31, 2021 12:05 PM

Needs more Gwyneth's head in a box.

by Anonymousreply 21February 1, 2021 1:19 PM

[quote] with the delicious little Rami Malek,

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2021 3:28 AM

I'm watching the movie RIGHT NOW and the first scene makes me furious. The girl at the beginning of the movie does something so F***ING STUPID that it makes me hate the movie. I'll try to finish it, but it's already starting in a deep deep hole.

by Anonymousreply 23February 27, 2021 11:15 AM

Why call her stupid? She’s just trying to survive. You would have done the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 24March 1, 2021 4:19 PM

R24, I would NOT have done the same thing. She's driving on the highway being followed by another car and her response is to pull over to an abandoned diner, get out of her car, leave the keys in the car, bang on the diner window repeatedly, in fact, long after it is obvious no one is inside she continues to bang on the window, then she runs out into the desert to try to hide. Why didn't she stay in her car and drive to, oh, I don't know, say, a crowded town or city? Yeah, what she did was STUPID.

by Anonymousreply 25March 4, 2021 7:01 AM

R25 ok, she made the mistake of pulling over and leaving the car running while trying to get in the diner. What would you do after that if you had made those choices?

by Anonymousreply 26March 4, 2021 7:32 AM

R26, I wouldn't have made those choices. That's my point.

by Anonymousreply 27March 11, 2021 8:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!