Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Little Things (2021)

I happened upon the trailer for this on HBO and was instantly struck by nostalgia. It seems like a throwback in the vein of those great thrillers of the 90s (“Silence of the Lambs,” “Seven,” etc.). Funny enough, I’m not a huge fan - love Denzel, though - of either of the leads but I’m looking forward to this. Starring Denzel Washington, Rami Malek, and Jared Leto.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 27, 2021 11:21 AM

The poster gives me 90s John Grisham movie adaptation vibes, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 17, 2021 10:24 PM

Did Leto get 3rd billing because Washington and Malek won for Best Actor and Leto won for Best Supporting Actor?

by Anonymousreply 2January 17, 2021 10:38 PM

R2, Malek starred in Bohemian Rhapsody, which made a zillion dollars. Billing him above Leto makes perfect sense. And Denzel has been a money-making star for decades. Oscars have nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 3January 17, 2021 10:43 PM

You bitches are so late with the threads.

by Anonymousreply 4January 30, 2021 10:11 AM

Fresher Thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 30, 2021 10:14 AM

Well, which thread do you cunts want us to post in?

by Anonymousreply 6January 30, 2021 10:16 AM

Hard to see D lookin so old n fat.....wont see this one.

by Anonymousreply 7January 30, 2021 10:21 AM

R6 This one. It was first.

by Anonymousreply 8January 30, 2021 10:23 AM

I still have to watch this. Planning to tonight.

by Anonymousreply 9January 30, 2021 10:23 AM

I’m disappointed with the scores.

48% Rotten Tomatoes

53% Metacritic

by Anonymousreply 10January 30, 2021 10:28 AM

Denzy looks like shit, and Rami with his overbite smirk intact.

Predictable thriller.....meh. it was OK, too many long minutes of nuthin happenin.

by Anonymousreply 11January 30, 2021 11:18 AM

Jared Leto was frickin awesome as ever .

by Anonymousreply 12January 30, 2021 11:31 AM

Rami is (home) box office poison

by Anonymousreply 13January 30, 2021 11:48 AM

It could havve been cut by a half hour easy....3 hrs is too much.

by Anonymousreply 14January 30, 2021 11:59 AM

Bozo ending....geesh....dammit!

by Anonymousreply 15January 30, 2021 12:20 PM

(it only seemed like 3 hrs.....

by Anonymousreply 16January 30, 2021 12:49 PM

Rami Malek is completely miscast. Not believable in the slightest. If this is his post Oscar career direction, he’s in big trouble. His bug eyes and weird intensity don’t work for “family man.” He’s a very particular character actor, and needs better guidance and casting.

The movie is a dull throwback to the much better Seven and Silence of the Lambs, with all the attendant issues with women who are either dead or endangered wives. The movie was written in the early nineties and suffocatingly feels like it. It’s barely updated. This would have been a theatrical January release and would have flopped. Hard.

by Anonymousreply 17January 30, 2021 1:26 PM

All those movies WB is releasing straight to HBO MAX - duds. They knew this. Every good movie is being held back for theatrical release. Don’t be fooled.

Streaming is still the new Direct to Video.

by Anonymousreply 18January 30, 2021 1:53 PM

Jared Leto always overacts. A bit hammy.

by Anonymousreply 19January 30, 2021 1:58 PM

I thought Leto more or less made the movie. He was creepy af. Too bad he wasn't playing a serial rapist, that would have been even better.

Rami was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 20January 30, 2021 2:10 PM

[QUOTE] Too bad he wasn't playing a serial rapist, that would have been even better.

What do you mean by this, R20?

by Anonymousreply 21January 30, 2021 2:12 PM

Yea, jared the only fun part, tho i do find rami hot....them big sexy bug eyes.

You would think those three big stars could have found a more interesting movie to make....dull. total crap ending.

by Anonymousreply 22January 30, 2021 2:31 PM

I s a w it and ....It ended badly for all concerned.....

by Anonymousreply 23January 30, 2021 2:47 PM

There was not a single actor in this movie who was convincing in his role. Good actors can rise above mediocre writing. None of these three leads gave a shit about this movie and it showed.

by Anonymousreply 24January 30, 2021 2:53 PM

jared was a hot hoot....fun creep role.

by Anonymousreply 25January 30, 2021 3:13 PM

Hell no

by Anonymousreply 26January 30, 2021 4:48 PM

Slow. So, so slow.

by Anonymousreply 27January 30, 2021 4:53 PM

shoulda been an episode of a crime tv show....flimsy.

by Anonymousreply 28January 30, 2021 5:34 PM

R28 That bad, huh?

by Anonymousreply 29January 30, 2021 7:37 PM

[QUOTE] Some scenes are red herrings and ultimately don't fit into the rest of the movie.

***SPOILER*** About 40 or so minutes into the movie (whenever Rami’s wife was introduced), I was convinced that Rami was the killer. His wife looked exactly like the woman who was killed in her apartment. I thought that Rami was using Denzel to find out what he knew about his past murders that Denzel had been obsessed with.

I also thought he was going to be someone who secretly hated his wife so he murdered women who looked like her.

I was surprised when he wasn’t, to be honest. It would have made the movie much better.

by Anonymousreply 30January 30, 2021 9:57 PM

Boring AF

by Anonymousreply 31January 31, 2021 12:24 AM

Rami looks uncomfortable in this movie, and like he doesn’t know which camera to look at.

by Anonymousreply 32January 31, 2021 12:26 AM

Yup. Boring.

by Anonymousreply 33January 31, 2021 12:27 AM

I'm gonna save y'all a bunch of money and tell you not to rent it til it's available for 4 bucks. It's not worth the cost to rent, now.

by Anonymousreply 34January 31, 2021 1:59 AM

what if rami sat on jared's face.....would that make it an ok movie???

by Anonymousreply 35January 31, 2021 4:06 AM

Rent? Henny, I’ve got HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 36January 31, 2021 1:56 PM

Cant someone of Denzy's fame get better scripts? Yikes..

by Anonymousreply 37January 31, 2021 3:25 PM

Watching this tonight.

by Anonymousreply 38February 1, 2021 5:28 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 39February 13, 2021 3:30 AM

I enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 40February 13, 2021 3:30 AM

I saw it at the theater (there were two of us in the theater) and enjoyed it. The directing and editing is very good so it never gets boring. I liked that it took place 30 years ago, so you get to see phone booths 'n stuff.

Leto chooses his roles carefully, so I know he did this one because he felt compassion for his character.

by Anonymousreply 41February 13, 2021 3:38 AM

I enjoyed it as a potboiler. The script definitely needed some work, particularly in the hour, but it's nowhere near the failure the critics say. Leto is just sensational. Oscar worthy. Washington is wonderful: naturalistic acting at its best, flowing like a river. Malek is miscast. I don't buy him as a L.A. cop. But that could be subjective. I can understand why he was cast, to bring a darker conflicted element into the mix, but his performance here comes off as mannered, apart from a couple of scenes. I kept thinking what a younger Brad Pitt would have done with the role, as in Se7en. That said, he got better for me as the movie progressed. The huge pluses for the movie are the moody cinematography -- poison greens and nacreous yellows by night, and bleached out day shots -- just wonderful, and a fabulous soundscape score.

by Anonymousreply 42February 19, 2021 2:55 AM

Malek is supposed to be wrong for the job he took. He's too mixed-up. He keeps pleading for Denzel's assistance.

He and Denzel are like the Priests in The Exorcist (Malek as Fr. Damian).

by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2021 3:47 AM

Can't deal with Denzel knowing what a homophobe he is.

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2021 3:56 AM

I wouldn’t say Leto was sensational by any stretch, but I can see why in a weak year he’d be getting attention.

by Anonymousreply 45February 19, 2021 9:43 PM

This movie was so bleak but I didn't hate it and I appreciated that it took it's time to build. I thought it was going to be a good throwback noir as well, due to the trailer, so that's why I gave it a chance.

by Anonymousreply 46February 19, 2021 11:10 PM

Rami was hot as hell in this.

by Anonymousreply 47February 27, 2021 5:08 AM

I posted this on the other thread (by the way, is anybody else sick of the assholes who elected themselves message board monitors and go around telling us that there's "already a thread on this topic" like there's some grave importance to having only one thread on a subject; these boards are for passing the time and amusing ourselves, there's no national importance or great significance to them). Anyway, I'm watching the movie and, for people who've seen it, didn't you feel that what the girl in the first scene does is among the stupidest things you've ever seen; stupid beyond believability? I did. I already hate the movie because of it.

by Anonymousreply 48February 27, 2021 11:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!