Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Has Jabba made you hate Janet Jackson's music?

I put on some 80s Hits station on Roku today and they (mistakenly) played Love Will Never Do Without You. And I was never a huge Janet fan but that song was one I really liked back in the day. I haven't heard it in some time and I thought I would enjoy it, but the endless discussion of Janet's "limitations" has made me realize just how not unmemorable her music really is. All I hear is the same production Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis did on every song and Janet's really weak vocals. I can't help but think Jabba's insistence that Janet was something she never was, combined with the endless proof shoved in Jabba's face about how weak Janet's music really was has somehow influenced me. I had to turn the song off.

by Anonymousreply 372January 18, 2021 5:00 PM

Sittin over here Starin in your face With lust in my eyes Sure don't give a damn and ya

by Anonymousreply 1December 12, 2020 8:46 PM

Absolutely. Which is sad because I do like her 87-93 stuff but he is so closely connected to her in my mind that I actually dislike her personally.. He/She/They are exactly the type of fan no celebrity would want because their obnoxiousness becomes linked to the object of their affection.

by Anonymousreply 2December 12, 2020 8:49 PM

I love that Jabba has actually lessened Janet's very thin fan base by even more. Nice work, fuck face.

by Anonymousreply 3December 12, 2020 9:04 PM

That song, OP, is all about the elegant, silver-gelatin-like Herb RItts video (1990) with the nubile, pre-Trumphead Antonio Sabato, Jr. Also Djimon Hounsou. It heralded the end of late-80s overblown crap and the arrival of a new aesthetic. Why would you listen to it without the video?

by Anonymousreply 4December 12, 2020 9:05 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2020 8:12 AM

Her voice ruined decent pop songs same with hagdonna and Paula.

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2020 8:16 AM

Verily, Janbot's persistent and obnoxious delusions have turned me from neutral to bona fide hater.

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2020 8:41 AM

I’ve thought the same before, OP. Prior to us constantly having to explain to Janbot Janet’s weakness I never really realized how limited she was.

Now that we’ve had to explain the same things — the nepotism, lip syncing, reliance of one production team, her general disposable quality, etc — the arguments are always ready in my mind.

I now see Janet more on par with Paula Abdul than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 8December 17, 2020 8:49 AM

I have to admit that Janbot has made me dislike Janet's music. It's a shame how one obsessive fan can make people feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2020 9:09 AM

He's probably thrilled to turn off people to her. That way he can have her all to himself.

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2020 10:04 AM

No, I always hated her music.

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2020 10:36 AM

Other people do not influence whether I do or do not like music

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2020 10:47 AM

But... after Janbot forced all of us to reflect on what Janet's actual strengths and achievements were, I think a lot of us realized they were quite shaky.

I rarely listened to Janet before. But now when I do I'm struck by everything critical said about her being true: her voice is really weak, her songs have little depth, the new jack swing production values are incredibly dated, nothing she's done has had much lasting pop culture significance...

Five, ten years ago the comparisons to Madonna weren't so ridiculous that I'd object. Now it's crazy to thing they were ever spoken of in the same breath.

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2020 10:56 AM

Does she even sing on Love Will Never Do Without You?

Or is her voice distorted?

by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2020 12:37 PM

Does janbot have a pleasant peanut clit?

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2020 1:19 PM

I never really appreciated what a great singer Dionne Warwick was because my primary image of her was always as a shady grifter -- that's partly down to DL, but also her own behavior.

So DL does matter.

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2020 12:19 PM

[quote]was one I really liked back in the day.

You're not cool enough to use that expression. Talk like a gay.

by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2020 12:22 PM

[quote]That song, OP, is all about the elegant, silver-gelatin-like Herb RItts video (1990) with the nubile, pre-Trumphead Antonio Sabato, Jr. Also Djimon Hounsou.

Djimon Hounsou was a GAP model in 2002!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2020 12:26 PM

"Together Again" by Janet Jackson is on the December 2001 GAP In-Store Playlists! (It follows Madonna's version of "Santa Baby!")

Every Gift, ONLY GAP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2020 12:28 PM

It didn't help that Janbot was always determined to compare Janet to Madonna.

The comparison isn't favorable to Ont-tee J.

It would've been smarter to just try and puff up her image without starting that unwinnable battle.

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2020 12:31 PM

I was surprised she went as long as she did on so little. I think the tit show wasn't even that big of a deal - people were just bored with her and had wanted to move on years earlier but kept forgetting she existed.

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2020 1:34 PM

Her career was already on the wane when the Nipplegate happened. That actually allowed her to use it as cover for her next few albums flops.

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2020 1:39 PM

I was listening to that 80s station again last night. They played Black Cat, and then about 40 min later, they played I Hate Myself for Loving You by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts. Guess what- Black Cat is a complete ripoff of Jett's song. They sound nearly identical.

Here's Black Cat.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2020 5:58 PM

Here's Joan Jett's song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 21, 2020 5:59 PM

The only one I can stand is "All For You". Her voice suits the song, and it percolates along pleasantly. Good video, too.

by Anonymousreply 25December 21, 2020 6:24 PM

Janet's contribution to whispercoo is without equal.

by Anonymousreply 26December 21, 2020 7:59 PM

Nobody hated Janet on DL until Janbot arrived.

by Anonymousreply 27December 21, 2020 10:33 PM

Crazy fans do tarnish the reputation of artists and turn off potential fans. No human being should be worshipped.

There are thousands of people who are attractive and who can sing and dance who aren't famous. There are many who can write or play sports well but arent famous. Fame is about not only wanting and seeking it but also dumb luck.

Worshipping someone for being lucky and having the right connections is laughable.

I do love Janet's music but the stans need to stop blaming her career decline on the Super Bowl.

by Anonymousreply 28December 21, 2020 10:35 PM

R24, they do sound similar. Joan's actually sounds like rock music though. Which is funny because Joan Jett's music generally sounds more pop than rock.

by Anonymousreply 29December 21, 2020 10:36 PM

OP you are obsessed with Janet - many of these posts are yours and your other account. Why?

by Anonymousreply 30December 21, 2020 10:37 PM

It's the complete delusion that Janet is some kind of global star on a level with Madonna that annoys the most. She was successful for a short time, mainly down to her famous brother. She's not some huge icon and most people under 40 would struggle to name any of her hits. We might know of her, but she's never been a presence in our lives.

by Anonymousreply 31December 21, 2020 10:38 PM

R31, I like Madonna way more than Janet but Janet was popular from 1985-2000. That's not a short amount of time by any means. That's longer than Celine's popularity in the USA. However, Janet never had albums that were huge global hits the way Madonna, Whitney, Mariah or Celine did. Those four women are A+ list while Janet was A- list.

by Anonymousreply 32December 21, 2020 10:41 PM

Most people under 40 don't care about Madonna either. She was a global star but not anymore and is considered a joke nowadays for her erratic behavior.

Janet is still semi known in the black community for Nutty Professor, the Tyler Perry films and Poetic Justice.

Also Janet's influence is more prevalent than Madonna. You can see this with Britney, Aaliyah, Mya, Ashanti, Ciara, Tinashe, Beyoncé, fka Twigs, SZA and etc.

by Anonymousreply 33December 21, 2020 10:44 PM

[quuote] Also Janet's influence is more prevalent than Madonna. You can see this with Britney, Aaliyah, Mya, Ashanti, Ciara, Tinashe, Beyoncé, fka Twigs, SZA and et

Aaliyah, Mya, Ashanti and Ciara aren't popular anymore so that doesn't really prove your point. But I do think Janet was massively influential. Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Pink, Rihanna, etc. have also named Madonna as an inspiration although they were also influenced by Janet (especially in Britney's case).

by Anonymousreply 34December 21, 2020 10:49 PM

R33 Madonna and Janet Jackson shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence. They're completely incomparable. Madonna might be considered a joke nowadays but still everyone knows who she is and pretty much anyone alive would be able to name a few of her songs.

The same cannot be said for Janet Jackson by any stretch of the imagination. Also, I'm looking at this from a non-American viewpoint - she was nowhere near as big a deal outside of the US. She was famous for being Michael's sister and I know Rhythm Nation was big, but ask most people to name a few of her songs and they'd struggle. She's really not a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 35December 21, 2020 10:51 PM

[quote] OP you are obsessed with Janet - many of these posts are yours and your other account. Why?

Nice try, Jabba.

by Anonymousreply 36December 21, 2020 11:06 PM

R35 Of course Madonna is bigger but you overestimate how big she is among people under the age of 40. Most young people do not give a damn about her. I hear them mention The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Cher, Fleetwood Mac, etc. But never mention of Madonna besides her being this weirdo.

Janet is still known in the black community and I know many Latinos who know her music too. Poetic Justice is a hood classic and those Tyler Perry films. She isn't on the level of Beyonce, Rihanna, Nicki, Megan, H.E.R. or SZA. But she's not forgotten among black people because we tend to support black artists even after they lose mainstream or global popularity

by Anonymousreply 37December 21, 2020 11:07 PM

LOL at the pathetic OP and all her sycophants chiming in about a woman who accomplished more before she was 25 than ANY of you ever have or ever will. Janet Jackson is now and will ALWAYS be a legend. 10 Hot 100 #1s. 7 #1 albums. The first woman to have 5 consecutive #1 albums on the Billboard 200. Inducted into the RNR HOF when every sissy in here said it would never happen. Winner of multiple Grammys. Seller of hundreds of millions of records. Academy Award nominee. A bevy of iconic music videos that inspired a generation of fans and pop stars alike. Able to jump into the pop culture zeitgeist at the mere mention of a lyric from one of her songs during a presidential debate. An actress when many of you were still living at home as kids secretly wearing your mother’s high heels. A singer, dancer, businesswoman and the blueprint for all of your faves, the try-hards and the bonafide successful pop stars alike. Everyone from Beyoncé to Britney to Rihanna to Gaga to Katy to Ariana to P!nk to Ciara to Kelly Clarkson to Kelly Rowland to Usher, BSB, N’SYNC and many others have sung her praises and have either covered her songs, paid homage to her looks and stage shows or have mimicked her in some form or fashion, just as their earlier counterparts Aaliyah, Jennifer Lopez, TLC and Salt N Pepa did before them. From landmark album deals to historic Billboard chart feats, Janet has set and achieved so many industry records and accomplishments that many still stand, including the fact that she is one of only three artists and the only black artist to have a #1 album in the 80s, the 90s, the 2000s and the 2010s.

Don't be mad because Janet is happily living her life abroad and minding her business as a mother and a living legend (one of the few we have left who came to prominence in the ‘80s, by the way), while Madonna (who was never nearly as beautiful and shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to dancing and entertaining), still sadly craving attention despite being about as relevant as a pair of leg warmers and an episode of CHIPS, can’t even muster attention after dyeing her hair pink and posting nasty photos of her hip scar and horribly deformed butt implants on Instagram. Madame WHO? 🤣

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 21, 2020 11:09 PM

Rihanna is definitely the closest to Madonna. Her life even parallels Madonna in some ways. Came from working class beginnings, were laughed at as jokes when they first came on the scene but proved the haters wrong, collaborated with interesting people, reinvented themselves with each album, managed to gain an insane amount of hits within 10 years, mostly focused on dance music, were major fashion icons, branched into acting and fashion design, were abused by famous men and forgave them, etc.

by Anonymousreply 39December 21, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote] I was listening to that 80s station again last night. They played Black Cat, and then about 40 min later, they played I Hate Myself for Loving You by Joan Jett & The Blackhearts. Guess what- Black Cat is a complete ripoff of Jett's song. They sound nearly identical.

They sound nothing alike, you twerp. And only one of them was a Hot 100 #1, had Nuno Bettencourt, Dave Navarro and Vernon Reid playing on various mixes of the song and rock legends like Lemmy Kilmister and Tommy Lee singing its praises. A hint — it wasn’t the Joan Jett track.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 21, 2020 11:18 PM

Jump, Jabba! Jump. You fat cunt.

by Anonymousreply 41December 21, 2020 11:19 PM

Madge and Janet stan battles are funny. You would think they would have each other's backs because Madge and Janet are both made fun of as jokes nowadays and many will even argue that without music videos and sex appeal they wouldn't be popular to begin with.

I really don't see how one can bash the other without being a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 42December 21, 2020 11:20 PM

[quote] Rihanna is definitely the closest to Madonna

Mmm hmm. Yeah. Sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 21, 2020 11:22 PM

Rihanna declared Janet among the first female artists she felt relation to, saying:

"She was so vibrant, she had so much energy. She still has power. I've seen her on stage, and she can stand there for 20 minutes and have the whole arena scream at her. You have to love Janet."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 21, 2020 11:24 PM

^^^Wow, they've BOTH have had red hair at different times?! They must twins!

by Anonymousreply 45December 21, 2020 11:24 PM

I mean, Rihanna (and the others named) CLEARLY studied Janet Jackson. This is not even up for debate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 21, 2020 11:26 PM

R43 Rihanna isn't R&B like Janet..

Riri is dancepop made for a global audience. That's why Janet's fame is mostly US-centric because her sound and look is more steeped in the African American aesthetic.

Rihanna's international popularity is due to her "colorless" sound

by Anonymousreply 47December 21, 2020 11:26 PM

There’s a reason she’s called the Teacher...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 21, 2020 11:27 PM

[quote] [R43] Rihanna isn't R&B like Janet..

Janet Jackson is a pop star, darling. A pop icon with some R&B songs, to be more succinct. Her shows are a veritable rainbow of races and ages. Her videos were MTV staples. You do not earn a decades long career filled with industry-standard records, achievements, awards, POP CHART accomplishments, and become the inspiration for just about every new pop star imaginable by simply being “R&B.” What are you, twelve?

by Anonymousreply 49December 21, 2020 11:34 PM

Wow, it took Jabba ages to finally infect this thread. Jabba is like the brain damaged version of COVID.

by Anonymousreply 50December 21, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote] Wow, it took Jabba ages to finally infect this thread. Jabba is like the brain damaged version of COVID.

It tickles me that you’re so flummoxed by my few posts that THAT was all you could muster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 21, 2020 11:41 PM

The stans of any celeb can make you despise the object of their obsession. Janet, Michael, Beyonce, the Twilight creatures, that POW that kissed Armie Hammer onscreen. The stans ruin it because they hijack every thread they can, attempt to insert their fave into any conversation. Since they're anonymous, you have no real choice but to hate who they love.

Plus you know it pisses them off when you do so.

by Anonymousreply 52December 21, 2020 11:47 PM

R49

R&B is black pop music. But there is a distinctive chords structure and use of rhythm.

Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis's production is very R&B. Janet has a lighter tone to her voice and more dance focused. But her music production is R&B. Usher and Chris Brown are also similarly considered R&B.

The R&B sound was very popular in the 90s and early 2000s.

Rihanna is dancepop and she does tap into dance hall and reggae sounds. Eurodance and house too. But she has no R&B besides some songs like Take A Bow.

by Anonymousreply 53December 22, 2020 12:03 AM

All For You, Escapade, Nasty, When I Think of You, If, Love Will Never Do..., All Nite, Feedback...

by Anonymousreply 54December 22, 2020 12:07 AM

Janet's music in the 80s was also associated with New Jack Swing, which is also a branch off of R&B.

by Anonymousreply 55December 22, 2020 12:16 AM

I still like Janet's music but now when I think of her, I think of Jabba, and the endless posts.

I also think of Baja Fresh

I guess those are better than thinking of her damn nipple.

by Anonymousreply 56December 22, 2020 12:27 AM

Janet never endorsed Baja Fresh, troll, but you tried it. And, as a gay man, what you think of a woman’s nipple is a non-issue.

by Anonymousreply 57December 22, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote]Janet has a lighter tone to her voice

Would you call it a whisper?

by Anonymousreply 58December 22, 2020 12:34 AM

R54

"All For You" was a throwback to Motown, very funky sounding and sampled many of her previous songs.

"Escapade", "When I Think Of You" and "Nasty" were New Jack Swing, dance songs with heavy R&B elements.

"If" has an industrial trip-hop sound to it.

"Love Will Never Do" is pretty poppy and sounds like an MJ song.

"All Nite" is extremely R&B with a electro-house sound.

"Feedback" sounds like a typical late 2000s R&B song. At that point it merged with electropop and autotune. See Ciara's "Future Sex Magic" and Usher's "OMG".

by Anonymousreply 59December 22, 2020 12:38 AM

Janet’s backing vocals and harmonies are always amazing. She can do dance, pop, house, R&B, steamy bedroom ballads and rock. Even “vocal bible” Brandy has given props to Janet’s harmonies...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 22, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote] Escapade", "When I Think Of You" and "Nasty" were New Jack Swing, dance songs with heavy R&B elements.

Sorry, but anyone who calls poppy tracks like WITOU and Escapade NJS with heavy R&B elements, I know not to take them seriously. I mean, REALLY.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 22, 2020 12:42 AM

^Someone to Call My Lover, also pop.

by Anonymousreply 62December 22, 2020 12:43 AM

No, but the insane anti-Janet loon has been on this bullshit for the better part of ten years and it's really sad and disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 63December 22, 2020 12:45 AM

[quote] No, but the insane anti-Janet loon has been on this bullshit for the better part of ten years and it's really sad and disturbing.

I definitely concur. Oh, the mental health bills that one has probably racked up over the decades.

by Anonymousreply 64December 22, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote] Sorry, but anyone who calls poppy tracks like WITOU and Escapade NJS with heavy R&B elements, I know not to take them seriously. I mean, REALLY.

Structurally they are R&B though. If they were sung slowed down by a deeper voiced singer then it wouldn't be as much of a stretch.

[quote] ^Someone to Call My Lover, also pop.

STCML sampled "Ventura Highway" by America. It obviously wasn't mean to be an R&B song. It had a country pop vibe to it. She also did a collab with Carly Simon called "Son of a Gun". Janet went for a more dance-pop and bubblegum sound during the "All For You" era. She went back to R&B with "Damita Jo" though.

by Anonymousreply 65December 22, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote]"All For You" was a throwback to Motown, very funky sounding and sampled many of her previous songs.

The main sample was the early '80s post-disco hit The Glow of Love by the Italian-American group Change.

by Anonymousreply 66December 22, 2020 2:10 AM

Jabba or dead-Jabba, I'll always love Rhythm Nation choreo! And it wasn't whisper-coo, either, in that song. It was angry bunny!

by Anonymousreply 67December 22, 2020 2:18 AM

R66 Which also featured Miss Luther Vandross.

by Anonymousreply 68December 22, 2020 2:43 AM

R63 and R64- Jabba talking to itself.

by Anonymousreply 69December 22, 2020 10:08 AM

Hitler lists Janet as an inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 70December 22, 2020 10:10 AM

And Shitler lists Jabba as an inspiration.

by Anonymousreply 71December 22, 2020 10:13 AM

Put the OP/R69 (and many other stupid posts) on ignore and go look at her list. It’s a barrage of Janet threads that stretch back for years with a sprinkling of several other threads thrown in for good measure (Last American Virgin 😂, Dawson’s Creek, etc.). This is one crazy fucking individual. I picture her as some overweight psychopath living in someone’s basement converted into an apartment who exists on disability checks, Fritos and Pepsi.

by Anonymousreply 72December 22, 2020 11:09 AM

A Janet fan is the last person who should be making jokes about being overweight and unemployed.

Take a look at Miss Jackson herself, hussy.

by Anonymousreply 73December 22, 2020 11:13 AM

Janbot at R38 and R40 came back to slay all you Janet-hating heaux as an early Christmas present, and we are here for it.

by Anonymousreply 74December 22, 2020 11:19 AM

Who or what is "Jabba"? I came here because I thought this thread was about Jabba The Trump. How disappointing!

by Anonymousreply 75December 22, 2020 11:20 AM

[quote]Take a look at Miss Jackson herself

We have, honey, and she's as splendid as ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76December 22, 2020 11:22 AM

Thanks for that fifteen year old picture, R76.

by Anonymousreply 77December 22, 2020 11:24 AM

[quote]Who or what is "Jabba"?

Oh, it's just some stupid bastardization of "Janbot" that the psychotic OP made up years ago when she got a little too tired of having her ass handed to her by Janbot on a near daily basis. She thought, "This is the way I'll get him back!" Meh. She's been hoping it would stick, but she's the only one who uses it.

by Anonymousreply 78December 22, 2020 11:26 AM

[quote]Thanks for that fifteen year old picture, [R76].

Um, no.

Janet only recently sported that faux-dreadlocked hairstyle, and the black fur ensemble and those photos were taken earlier this year pre-Covid for her "Black Diamond" album project.

by Anonymousreply 79December 22, 2020 11:28 AM

Well, there is something out there called Photoshop...

by Anonymousreply 80December 22, 2020 1:46 PM

R72 You're absolutely right.

This is now an obsession with this loon. Sane people don't spend this much time doing anything. He's unhealthy and should be institutionalized.

by Anonymousreply 81December 22, 2020 1:56 PM

[quote] Janbot at [R38] and [R40] came back to slay all you Janet-hating heaux as an early Christmas present, and we are here for it.

Stay pressed, hunties!

by Anonymousreply 82December 22, 2020 1:57 PM

Jam and Lewis have a distinct sound - but it was the combination of them and Janet that made gold. They have wrote and produced music for other stars but nowhere near as successful as Janet. - New Edition, Cherelle, Karyn White. - none of it got to Janet's level of success. She is not a great vocalist, no one would argue that but she is a good singer and stellar performer.

by Anonymousreply 83December 22, 2020 2:09 PM

[quote]but she is a good singer and stellar performer.

I wouldn't have challenged that five years ago, but now I disagree.

Even at her peak she couldn't do something like this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 22, 2020 2:24 PM

Nobody is disputing that Paula is an incredible dancer. The woman created some stunning dance sequences in her time, and had a lot of success as an artist. But, she is a choreographer at heart. Of course she can create dynamic routines line the one posted at R84. It is her job/talent/calling. But to say that Janet “couldn’t do something” like it is a misnomer. Choreography is not Janet’s occupation, but she is an artist who skillfully executed every routine put in front of her by choreographers of various backgrounds of dance, and she made them her own. Be it jazz, street/hip-hop, intricate militant pop-locking, Indian-influenced moves, Hawaiian-flavored movements, ballroom vogueing and walking, heavily-athletic flips and splits, what-have-you, she’s done them all and done them well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 22, 2020 6:24 PM

Poor Jabba is pressed. Talking to itself all over this thread. Meanwhile, her fat, has-been idol continues to be on the lower rungs of any kind of accomplishment and will be failing again soon in 2021.

by Anonymousreply 86December 23, 2020 5:44 AM

Janet is hoping for another pandemic as an excuse to cancel her next tour.

by Anonymousreply 87December 23, 2020 5:56 AM

Janet's already been exposed for being a touring failure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 23, 2020 6:00 AM

Can someone please explain that bizarre period when she married that hot Muslim, got fat and wore bags and sheets, and had a baby as a senior?

I know the Jacksons are weird, but that was too much even for the usual eccentric Jackson story.

by Anonymousreply 89December 23, 2020 6:08 AM

Yeah... that was weird. I never got it either.

The husband was hot though.

by Anonymousreply 90December 23, 2020 6:12 AM

She ran out of Baja Fresh cards and had to feed her family somehow.

by Anonymousreply 91December 23, 2020 6:23 AM

Janet was having trouble with food bills at that time...

As was clearly evident.

by Anonymousreply 92December 23, 2020 8:04 AM

She wanted an excuse to sheeth herself in black niqabs, to hide her weight gain.

by Anonymousreply 93December 23, 2020 8:05 AM

Does Janet's pussy stink?

Also how old is Jabba?

by Anonymousreply 94December 23, 2020 8:46 AM

I hope all the State Fairs come back soon. Janet needs the work.

by Anonymousreply 95December 23, 2020 9:11 AM

But how much is the average Best in Show prize money?

by Anonymousreply 96December 23, 2020 9:33 AM

The psychotic fagula OP is at it again, I see. Love how Janbot gets under her craw.

by Anonymousreply 97December 23, 2020 9:48 AM

Given that Janbot's focus was on sales, chart positions and awards, no. I still enjoy the Control-Rhythm Nation-Janet eras. All 3 albums are well done, great production by Jam and Lewis and though Janet is no great singer, the music and production work well to support Janet and bring out the best in her. However some of the elements of those 3 albums, such as the interludes and an increasing dependence on sex, laid the groundwork for her decline. Velvet Rope wasn't a well thought out concept though there are a few appealing songs amongst the self indulgence. All for you had a couple of good dance/pop songs but Super Bowl and Damita Jo exposed her act as stale. And the songs were nowhere near the level of the late 80s/early 90s work.

by Anonymousreply 98December 23, 2020 12:02 PM

[quote] The psychotic fagula OP is at it again, I see. Love how Janbot gets under her craw.

Janbot/Jabba gives itself away because it can't help trotting out its usual homophobic slurs. We all know what you are, Jabba.

by Anonymousreply 99December 23, 2020 12:30 PM

[quote]Velvet Rope wasn't a well thought out concept though there are a few appealing songs amongst the self indulgence

The general consensus says otherwise, as it is her must critically-heralded album and considered her magnum opus.

by Anonymousreply 100December 23, 2020 12:41 PM

Not all music is supposed to become classic. JJ's music is called "Pop" because it's popular in the moment.

Sometimes you listen now and think, "How was that song ever a hit??" But it brings backs nice memories and then we move on to another song

by Anonymousreply 101December 23, 2020 1:06 PM

[quote] The general consensus says otherwise, as it is her must critically-heralded album and considered her magnum opus.

No, I agree with R98. Self-indulgent is the best word to describe it.

by Anonymousreply 102December 23, 2020 1:50 PM

I want to see pics of her hot ex-husband, r90. Any pics?

by Anonymousreply 103December 23, 2020 3:32 PM

[quote]No, I agree with [R98]. Self-indulgent is the best word to describe it.

And you're another in the minority.

by Anonymousreply 104December 23, 2020 4:32 PM

This is Wissam. She definitely has a type (tall, slender, swarthy or Latino types - her exes James DeBarge and Rene Elizondo also fit that mold), which is why her long relationship with Jermaine Dupri was such a head scratcher.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105December 23, 2020 4:35 PM

Wissam IS hot!. Thanks, 105.

by Anonymousreply 106December 23, 2020 5:48 PM

I think Janet has a much better discography than her brother. She actually experimented and showed growth on her albums. Compare "Control" to "janet" to "The Velvet Rope" to "Discipline". She at least went for different sounds with each new album. Michael was stuck in the "Thriller" sound which was when he peaked artistically. "Bad" and "Dangerous" were underwhelming in comparison and sound extremely dated now. "HIStory" was half compilation and half-new songs with the new songs being stuck in the new jack swing sound which was a outdated when it was released. I believe it could be because Janet lived like an adult, was more open-minded and determined, associated with musicians and actively tried to distance herself from the Jackson family. Michael was too busy acting like a child and being creepy with little boys. He completely believed his own hype and untouchability.

The song "Scream" was produced by Jam & Lewis which is why it aged better than the other songs on "HIStory".

by Anonymousreply 107December 23, 2020 9:04 PM

I agree, R107. Janet's albums were more adult, had actual themes and were experimental, touching multiple musical genres including pop, rock, R&B, electronica, dance, house, and even some big band-esque sounds and country thrown in for good measure. Her choreography over time was even more experimental. The reason Michael even went for the New Jack sound was because he was such a fan of what Jimmy and Terry were doing with his sister.

by Anonymousreply 108December 23, 2020 9:09 PM

Madonna and Janet both have superior discographies compared to Michael. But I think the fact that they both experimented with their sound more is a big reason they don't do better on streaming. Michael NEVER significantly changed his sound after Thriller and people ate that shit up since they all wanted to see him do Thriller over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 109December 23, 2020 10:16 PM

What? Hissam is Muslim? Is he royalty?

That would make Janet a Lalla of Lamingtons...

by Anonymousreply 110December 24, 2020 1:40 AM

Being in my late 20s. Both Janet and Madonna were ahead of my time. I mostly knew Janet from Nipplegate, her song "Feedback" on 106 & Park and all those Tyler Perry movies when I was a teen. I only knew Madonna from her crazy antics like kissing Britney on stage and lipsyncing the Super Bowl. So both were pretty washed up by that point. I discovered both of their discographies in my young adult years and grew to love their music. The first Janet music video that stuck out to me was "All For You" and then I looked up the videos of "If" and "Rhythm Nation" and I became a fan. Madonna I randomly decided to listen to her Spotify and chose "True Blue" and fell in love with her sound. She really seemed like a badass in the 1980s and I totally got her appeal. Both are washed up now but I appreciate both when they were in their prime and I do think they have better discographies than Michael and way better discographies than Usher, Britney, Christina, Justin Timberlake and etc.

by Anonymousreply 111December 24, 2020 6:27 PM

I just heard Escapade on the 80s station. Jesus, it's so awful. Her music has aged like milk. And what's funny is they played PYT by Michael a few songs prior and even though it's minor MJ, it's still fun to listen to and brings me right back. Whoever said upthread that Janet had a better catalog than Michael is full of shit.

by Anonymousreply 112December 27, 2020 9:23 PM

^Go away, racist troll. You may have just heard Escapade, but you fucking jammed to it. Admit it. It’s too infectious not to. And speaking of PYT, it may have benefited from having Janet as one of the girls singing “Na Na Na” in the background, but it is one of the worst singles from Thriller and pales in comparison to MJ’s original demo of the song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 27, 2020 9:37 PM

How is it racist to understand that Michael was talented but Janet was not?

by Anonymousreply 114December 27, 2020 9:39 PM

It’s racist because you’re a typical white (trash) DLer who hates a black woman who will always be more accomplished, rich and famous than you.

by Anonymousreply 115December 27, 2020 9:45 PM

I love lots of black female singers- Donna Summer, Diana Ross, Jennifer Holiday, Millie Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Nina Simone, the list goes on and on. They have talent. Janet can't sing.

by Anonymousreply 116December 27, 2020 9:49 PM

R114 is a fucking lunatic. It’s almost 2021, hon. Give it up.

by Anonymousreply 117December 27, 2020 9:50 PM

R116 is gay. VERY.

by Anonymousreply 118December 27, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote] [R114] is a fucking lunatic. It’s almost 2021, hon. Give it up.

Jabba, this is what everyone says about you when you come on here insisting that Janet is going to have a comeback. Bitch is gone. She left the building right after Nipplegate and they changed the locks on her ass. She ain't gettin' back in, hon.

by Anonymousreply 119December 27, 2020 9:52 PM

R119, still showing the crazy. You came into this thread out of the blue. You did. YOU. This means that you have Janet on the brain, which is no surprise since she’s secretly one of your faves. I really do worry, though, for the trusting elderly woman who mistakenly rented out her basement to this insane fagula.

by Anonymousreply 120December 27, 2020 9:56 PM

Report Jabba for being a homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 121December 27, 2020 9:57 PM

Janbot consistently kicks the fagula’s ass, yet she keeps coming back for more.

by Anonymousreply 122December 27, 2020 9:59 PM

Why do you refer to yourself in the third person, Jabba?

by Anonymousreply 123December 27, 2020 10:00 PM

^You mad, queen?

by Anonymousreply 124December 27, 2020 10:01 PM

OMG!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 27, 2020 10:05 PM

[quote] Report Janbot for being a homophobe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126December 27, 2020 10:13 PM

What about the black people who don't think that Janet is a good singer? What would one say to them?

by Anonymousreply 127December 27, 2020 10:58 PM

I think Janet's a good singer

by Anonymousreply 128December 28, 2020 11:02 AM

Janet has a better catalog if you are into a wider array of music. Michael stuck to what he knew and appealed to a wider audience of all ages and races.

Janet is like Beyonce and stuck to appealing to gays, black girls and white hipsters. I think Janet has way better music than Bey.

I chose Janet because she has songs like "If", "Someone to Call My Lover", "Pleasure Principle", "Go Deep", "All For You", "SloLove", "Anytime, Anyplace", "Together Again", "Rock With U" etc.

As a gay black man, Janet had music that speaks to me and she dabbled in many genres like trip-hop, house, industrial rock, country pop, jazz, etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129December 28, 2020 1:47 PM

Discipline wasn't a bad album. She went full electropop on it and a lot of the songs still sound fresh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130December 28, 2020 1:49 PM

This nu-disco track is dope

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 28, 2020 1:50 PM

No. It isn't R131.

by Anonymousreply 132December 28, 2020 1:52 PM

^Yes, it is. RWU Ana ALL NITE are two of her best dance tracks post All For You.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 28, 2020 2:47 PM

R133

Agreed. Janet gave us so many dope dance tracks. She admitted she loves making music for her gay fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 134December 28, 2020 2:50 PM

She sure does. The video for Rock With U features gay and trans performers too.

by Anonymousreply 135December 28, 2020 3:18 PM

Janet seems like a nice person.

That doesn't mean she's particularly talented.

by Anonymousreply 136December 28, 2020 3:22 PM

A decades-long, award-decorated career does allude to talent. Particularly.

by Anonymousreply 137December 28, 2020 3:27 PM

Yes, the talent of her producers.

Once she was away from JJ and TL her career went straight down the shitter.

by Anonymousreply 138December 28, 2020 3:28 PM

Janet has talent in terms of performing and dancing. Her voice is very tiny but she manages to sound decent and stay on key. Janet's songs sounded like Janet. She didn't blend her vocals or have backup singers to hide her lack of singing talent like Rockwell or Lief Garret. Autotune didn't exist until the late 90s.

Anyway, she has a really good discography and worked with many talented producers, writers, musicians and mixers to create it. She isn't an artist in the strictest sense but neither was her brother Michael or Madonna, they all relied on a lot of help but had the vision and message behind their albums and sound.

Apart from Janbot. Most fans of Janet are not delusional about her, we just love her because she brought a lot of great music and performances. It also helps that her albums have themes on them. Most Britney, Rihanna and Katy albums are random songs with no coherent message underlying them.

MTV did an awesome Icon tribute to Janet. In 2002, Janet still had a lot of respect in the industry but the Super Bowl 2004 incident erased a lot of this. While her music declined it was unfair how the media tried to deny her existence and impact. Madonna's music started to suck around the same but they didn't deny or downplay Madonna's impact like they did with Janet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 28, 2020 3:36 PM

Also, the hate for Janet seems to be a DL thing. She's still loved in the black and Latino community. I see so many black fashion accounts on social media that try to recreate the 90s Janet look from Poetic Justice and her 1993 album. I think her music has substance and something to say. A lot of lyrics and beats are beautiful. The 80s and 90s had a lot of pop music with substance like Martika, Cyndi Lauper, Pet Shop Boys, George Michael, Prince, Pat Benetar and Madonna. Hip-hop back then had soul and substance like De La Soul, Tupac, Biggie, Queen Latifah, A Tribe Called Quest, etc. The late 90s, media consolidation and buyouts by Clear Channel is when it become so corporatized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140December 28, 2020 3:49 PM

I don't see much *hate* for her on Datalounge.

We're just mostly uncensored and aware of her limitations.

by Anonymousreply 141December 28, 2020 3:51 PM

^One of the biggest haters.

by Anonymousreply 142December 28, 2020 3:52 PM

What I find most interesting about Janet is how she seemed to regress as an artist.

At some point she seemed to just... give up.

by Anonymousreply 143December 28, 2020 3:52 PM

Damita Jo was a good album imho though it was too long at parts. I think Jermaine Dupri was a bigger cause of her downfall. The Super Bowl backlash was stupid but she could have worked that to her advantage like Madonna has done multiple times in the 80s and 90s. Justin Timberlake actually tried to defend her albeit he was too young and immature to voice his defense better.

Janet seemed like she wanted to make a comeback with Discipline because she was promoting "Feedback" for a bit but her brother's death probably put an end to those plans and she got pulled back into family drama.

by Anonymousreply 144December 28, 2020 3:58 PM

[quote] Yes, the talent of her producers.

The same could be said about many other iconic ‘80s pop stars. From Control on, Janet wrote or co-wrote her songs and had creative control/final input over everything. Her record company wanted her to do a Control Part 2 as a follow up to her 1986 smash album, but she declined and decided to make the album about social injustice. The 1993 janet. album was borne of her finally feeling comfortable in her own skin as a sensual woman. The idea for her iconic RS cover around that time came from when she’d stepped out of the shower and her braids happened to be covering her breasts (she was filming Poetic Justice at the time). The Velvet Rope detailed her dealings with depression. All of her albums are about her, specifically.

by Anonymousreply 145December 28, 2020 3:58 PM

[quote]The same could be said about many other iconic ‘80s pop stars.

And I would say that.

by Anonymousreply 146December 28, 2020 4:00 PM

[quote]The Super Bowl backlash was stupid but she could have worked that to her advantage like Madonna has done multiple times in the 80s and 90s.

That's a good point.

It's worth noting how unpopular Madonna was in the early '90s and how she revealed a lot more than Janet. Yet she managed to bounce back from it and use it to her advantage.

Janet should've done a fiery Whitney-Diane Sawyer type interview after it saying 'what's wrong with seeing a black woman's breast?'

Instead she hid away and got fat. It undermined her sexy, liberated music image.

by Anonymousreply 147December 28, 2020 4:02 PM

Justin Timberlake didn’t try to defend her at all. His wimp ass was seen on tv a week later talking about how he didn’t want his grandma seeing stuff like that, when right after the show he was backstage hyped over the performance they’d just given. She should have left his tired ass out of the show altogether. He apologized many years later, stating how he should have defended her more, but it was too late and black Twitter (and also some white performers like Bette Midler) let him know it. Hell, even Michael Powell, who was the head of the FCC at the time, publicly apologized, saying that he regretted how they went after her.

by Anonymousreply 148December 28, 2020 4:03 PM

Janet's music career began in the 1980s but most of her known songs are from the 90s. Like "Anytime, Anyplace", "That's The Way Love Goes", "Together Again", "Again", "If", "Go Deep", "Runaway", "You Want This?", "I Get Lonely", "The Velvet Rope", "Because of Love" and "What's It Gonna Be?". Her look during janet. and Poetic Justice is her most famous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149December 28, 2020 4:04 PM

She'd already talked about coffee enemas on Oprah prior to the Superbowl incident.

by Anonymousreply 150December 28, 2020 4:07 PM

The truth is, Janet is a black woman and Madonna is a white woman, and as such, she can (and has) gotten away with a lot of shit. Whitebread Middle America were outraged that they were subject to seeing half a second of a black woman’s nipple, and because of that (and Les Moonves’s machinations to destroy her career), Janet received the brunt of the punishment. Madonna may have handled it differently, but in the end, she would have never suffered the scorn that Janet did (MTV and radio blacklisting, disinvited to award shows, etc).

by Anonymousreply 151December 28, 2020 4:08 PM

[quote] I don't see much *hate* for her on Datalounge. We're just mostly uncensored and aware of her limitations.

And yet so painfully unaware of your own.

[quote] I’ve thought the same before, OP. Prior to us constantly having to explain to Janbot Janet’s weakness I never really realized how limited she was. Now that we’ve had to explain the same things — the nepotism, lip syncing, reliance of one production team, her general disposable quality, etc — the arguments are always ready in my mind. I now see Janet more on par with Paula Abdul than Madonna.

[quote] But... after Janbot forced all of us to reflect on what Janet's actual strengths and achievements were, I think a lot of us realized they were quite shaky. I rarely listened to Janet before. But now when I do I'm struck by everything critical said about her being true: her voice is really weak, her songs have little depth, the new jack swing production values are incredibly dated, nothing she's done has had much lasting pop culture significance... Five, ten years ago the comparisons to Madonna weren't so ridiculous that I'd object. Now it's crazy to thing they were ever spoken of in the same breath.

[quote] Does she even sing on Love Will Never Do Without You? Or is her voice distorted?

[quote] I never really appreciated what a great singer Dionne Warwick was because my primary image of her was always as a shady grifter -- that's partly down to DL, but also her own behavior. So DL does matter. It didn't help that Janbot was always determined to compare Janet to Madonna. The comparison isn't favorable to Ont-tee J. It would've been smarter to just try and puff up her image without starting that unwinnable battle.

[quote] Her career was already on the wane when the Nipplegate happened. That actually allowed her to use it as cover for her next few albums flops.

[quote] Hitler lists Janet as an inspiration.

[quote] A Janet fan is the last person who should be making jokes about being overweight and unemployed. Take a look at Miss Jackson herself, hussy.

[quote] Thanks for that fifteen year old picture, R76.

[quote] I wouldn't have challenged that five years ago, but now I disagree. Even at her peak she couldn't do something like this:

[quote] Janet is hoping for another pandemic as an excuse to cancel her next tour.

[quote] Yeah... that was weird. I never got it either. The husband was hot though.

[quote] Janet was having trouble with food bills at that time... As was clearly evident.

[quote] She wanted an excuse to sheeth herself in black niqabs, to hide her weight gain.

[quote] But how much is the average Best in Show prize money?

[quote] No, I agree with R98. Self-indulgent is the best word to describe it.

[quote] I think Janet's a good singer

[quote] Janet seems like a nice person. That doesn't mean she's particularly talented.

[quote] Yes, the talent of her producers. Once she was away from JJ and TL her career went straight down the shitter.

[quote] What I find most interesting about Janet is how she seemed to regress as an artist. At some point she seemed to just... give up.

You need to get a fucking life.

by Anonymousreply 152December 28, 2020 4:09 PM

I think RN is her most iconic and famous look. Everyone from Tamar Braxton (Dancing with the Stars) to Beyoncé to Joseph Gordon Levitt have rocked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153December 28, 2020 4:11 PM

[quote]The truth is, Janet is a black woman and Madonna is a white woman, and as such, she can (and has) gotten away with a lot of shit.

Yes. And Janet should've addressed that. Asked why it was acceptable for Madonna to pose nude but not for her to have her outfit fail.

She should've wrote an album around that concept. Maybe a decade prior she would've.

But the socially conscious, sexually liberated Janet of the '80s and '90s already seemed gone by 2004.

by Anonymousreply 154December 28, 2020 4:11 PM

[quote] You need to get a fucking life.

Agreed. I picture it as an overweight Trumper.

by Anonymousreply 155December 28, 2020 4:12 PM

Yeah, those are jokes, R152.

I joke about Whitney and Dionne Warwick too. Doesn't mean I don't think they were two of the most talented singers ever.

by Anonymousreply 156December 28, 2020 4:12 PM

In Justin's country ass accent. He makes good points about America's hypocrisy and mentions misogyny and racism being factors in Janet's treatment. He does seem genuinely ashamed of he reacted.

[quote] I think in my honest opinion now. It was more of the aftermath from me. There could have been ways I could have gone about it better...I think that says a lot about society. I think America is harsher on women and I think America is unfairly harsh on ethnic people.

He should have just said black people. We all know what "ethnic" meant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157December 28, 2020 4:14 PM

* He does seem genuinely ashamed of how he reacted

by Anonymousreply 158December 28, 2020 4:15 PM

Janet’s post DAMITA JO album actually was going to center around the controversy of the SB, but the idea was scrapped and they went the 20 YO route instead, which was seen as a celebration of the 20 years that had gone by since the Control album.

by Anonymousreply 159December 28, 2020 4:18 PM

'80s and '90s Janet seemed to have something to say. It made up for her less than stellar voice.

But for the past twenty years it's just been the same sexual giggling.

by Anonymousreply 160December 28, 2020 4:23 PM

Thing is, most people who actually watched the half time show that year didn’t even realize what had happened (I actually had to rewind it just to make sure I’d seen what I saw). It was the media overblowing the situation and splashing the freeze frame of the incident on newspaper covers and entertainment outlets all over the world that really called attention to it. Shirley Manson and Garbage even wrote this song about the ridiculous, puritanical reaction to it...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 28, 2020 4:25 PM

Loved Janet from Control through Janet.

Janbot’s delusions have the effect of noticing her defects more. I can accept her musical limitations and still enjoy her music. Janet is an accomplished performer, and has achieved a lot. But not as much as Janbot thinks.

I think Janet is aware of her stardom and talent level and is ok with it. It’s Janbot who needs to inflate her achievements,

Also, Janbot uses anti gay slurs, which Ms. Jackson would never do.

by Anonymousreply 162December 28, 2020 4:26 PM

[quote] But for the past twenty years it's just been the same sexual giggling.

Apparently you missed her last album, which was a deep, introspective outing critically heralded as her best since The Velvet Rope and which had nary a sex song on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 28, 2020 4:27 PM

[quote]Apparently you missed her last album, which was a deep, introspective outing critically heralded as her best since The Velvet Rope

No matter how much you say this it will never be true.

by Anonymousreply 164December 28, 2020 4:30 PM

Unbreakable was a solid album. A pop/R&B record for adults. Very mature and sophisticated sounding. People forget Janet converted to Islam and had a child. She isn't doing the sexpot thing anymore. She dresses modestly now. Yes, she gained weight like every women her age does. Beyonce and Christina Aguilera also have gained weight. Becoming middle-aged and having kids does that.

Her voice sounded really good on this. She had to have vocal lessons at one point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 28, 2020 4:31 PM

[quote] No matter how much you say this it will never be true.

I don’t have to say it, darling. The critics already did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166December 28, 2020 4:34 PM

Janet took a very long break. Her fans were hungry for new music. She kept a low profile for a while. The last thing she did was perform for Her Number Ones tour which was also a tribute to her brother Michael who was planning a tour called This Is It but died.

by Anonymousreply 167December 28, 2020 4:38 PM

Janet was known for taking long breaks between albums even during her peak. She never rushed output the way her contemporaries did.

As for her recent weight gain, she had trimmed down a lot after having her baby and returning for her revamped State of the World tour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168December 28, 2020 4:51 PM

Is she still a Muslim?

by Anonymousreply 169December 28, 2020 5:07 PM

I don’t think so. I honestly don’t think she ever fully committed to the religion.

by Anonymousreply 170December 28, 2020 5:11 PM

Janet was raised Jehovah's Witness too. I think she is spiritual and believes in a God but not really religious.

by Anonymousreply 171December 28, 2020 5:28 PM

[quote] That doesn't mean she's particularly talented.

Her dancing is impressive, if not her voice. I remember when she was doing [italic]Diff’rent Strokes and Fame[/italic] and she sang live on both shows. I could barely hear anything from her mouth. But I have enjoyed her videos, the choreography is sexy and imaginative. But she simply doesn’t have a strong voice. Better than Paula Abdul maybe, or even Bananarama or Geri Halliwell.But surpassed by just about everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 172December 28, 2020 5:53 PM

[quote] You need to get a fucking life.

The fact that this came from Jabba is the biggest example of irony AND complete lack of self-awareness I have ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 173December 28, 2020 6:07 PM

The 80s station played What Have You Done for me Lately last night and I was struck by how much Janet talk-sings through all her songs. That's the sign of a really weak vocalist. She's like Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady, only without talent.

by Anonymousreply 174December 28, 2020 6:08 PM

R174 Talk-singing is actually a common feature of classical pop and folk rock.

by Anonymousreply 175December 28, 2020 6:17 PM

And singers who can't sing...

by Anonymousreply 176December 28, 2020 6:19 PM

You picked one (iconic) song to blather on about talk-singing nonsense, when Janet has shown through the years that she is certainly capable of more than just that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177December 28, 2020 6:23 PM

[quote] Talk-singing is actually a common feature of classical pop and folk rock.

No it isn't, you idiot.

by Anonymousreply 178December 28, 2020 6:23 PM

R176

I think it should be obvious that many famous singers are not going to win singing contests. Mick Jagger can't sing. Bob Dylan can't sing. Joni Mitchell can't sing. Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra crooned more than sang. Nobody even back in the 80s thought Madonna, Janet and Paula were good singers.

So why do people still in 2020 think being amazing at singing is the only things that audiences want? It's clearly not. People want to be entertained and people want songs that are well-written, well-produced and enjoyable to listen to. Being a good singer does not make you a good artist or a good entertainer. Many people are good singers and are not famous. Go to any church choir and you will see this.

by Anonymousreply 179December 28, 2020 6:23 PM

R178

Folk rock is about telling a story. The message and instrumentals often come before the actual singing ability. Bob Dylan is a great example of this.

Many classical pop singers were crooners who sounded more like they were speaking intimately to the audience like Sinatra.

by Anonymousreply 180December 28, 2020 6:25 PM

The Janet hater shows many telltale signs of DEEP psychosis. I’m beginning to think that a Janet song happened to be playing in the background during a really traumatic incident in her life.

by Anonymousreply 181December 28, 2020 6:25 PM

R179 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 182December 28, 2020 6:26 PM

Crosby and Sinatra both had gorgeous voices. I thought so...and they had the ability to hold notes and both had decent range too. I honestly don’t think that a comparison can be made here.

by Anonymousreply 183December 28, 2020 6:44 PM

No, R179 did not nail it. With the exception of Bob Dylan, all of those people can/could sing very well, even Jagger. Joni Mitchell had a gorgeous voice. Sinatra sang well past his prime, as did many of the singers of his period, but before age took it away, he had a beautiful voice.

And Dylan, who has a dreadful voice, and even someone like Leonard Cohen, who couldn't sing to save his life, knew how to interpret a song or get the meaning across in the lyrics they wrote that made you sit up and pay attention. They had something to say and it wasn't always pretty, but it was important, and their delivery conveyed that.

That is NOT Janet. By any stretch of the imagination.

by Anonymousreply 184December 28, 2020 6:56 PM

Bob Dylan could never write lyrics like Janet.

by Anonymousreply 185December 28, 2020 7:02 PM

R184

All of these singers were more popular for their personality and image and their distinctive voices were part of their charm. They were the whole package and marketable. Fame is not a meritocracy, you have to provide more than just being a good singer and playing an instrument. The audience has to like you.

Bob Dylan is famous for his beautiful lyricism as is Leonard Cohen and Lou Reed. Nobody can say they can sing.

Janet and Madonna both had things to say but they were a product of the MTV era which blended choreography, fashion and cinematics. It was an audiovisual format and the fact they survived past the 80s and still had hits in the 90s and early 00s says a lot about them.

by Anonymousreply 186December 28, 2020 7:02 PM

R186, you should probably stop. You're not doing yourself any favors.

by Anonymousreply 187December 28, 2020 7:04 PM

R187

[quote] you should probably stop. You're not doing yourself any favors

I'm not going to stop voicing my opinion. I have the freedom to say what I want just like everyone else on this site. So deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 188December 28, 2020 7:05 PM

As you wish. Just don't be surprised when people call you an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 189December 28, 2020 7:07 PM

R189

I'll live with people who don't know me personally calling me names.

by Anonymousreply 190December 28, 2020 7:09 PM

How can a Janet troll make you hate her music? Oh wait...they didn't. The fact is you all probably never liked Janet's music to begin with and just use the Jabba troll as an excuse to bash her. The psychological hatred for this woman is a sign of serious mental issues because she is by far the least despicable of the Jackson clan. All the complaints about Janet like nepotism, can't sing, can't dance, relies on producers and studio magic is applicable to like 90% of modern popular artists. But the fact she managed to have a long career says clearly she did something right. You can't just buy a career like that. The hypocrisy comes when people will defend Madonna, Britney, Rihanna, J. Lo and Beyonce at the expense of Janet which is laughable. Nepotism didn't help Rebbie or La Toya and Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis couldn't help Jordan Knight. Janet's popular because people loved her music and dancing. If you don't love Janet and find the Jabba annoying just ignore them. This thread is just back-and-forth bickering over whether Janet is useless of not.

by Anonymousreply 191December 28, 2020 7:33 PM

And quite the mic drop it is, R191, because you just nailed the psychotic anti-Janet trolls one asshole at a time.

by Anonymousreply 192December 28, 2020 9:08 PM

Is also Janbot?

by Anonymousreply 193December 28, 2020 9:15 PM

[quote] Yes. And Janet should've addressed that. Asked why it was acceptable for Madonna to pose nude but not for her to have her outfit fail.

Madonna didn't do it at the Supwerbowl though. Frankly, I think it was stupid that Janet was even punished for it, it was just a dumb stunt and Justin was a pussy for how he cried with the execs on the phone and "tearfully apologized". But regarding. Madonna, let's remember she endured a HUGE backlash for her Sex book. She was the butt of every joke on tv and her career was pronounced over. The biggest difference between Madonna and Janet is that Madonna stopped being sexual after the mid 90s or so while Janet kept ramping it up for like 15 years from 1989 onwards. It's very difficult to revamp your image when you are 40 and your peak is over. It took Madonna until Ray of Light to really come back.

by Anonymousreply 194December 28, 2020 9:55 PM

Typical Madonna fan girl masking as former Janet fan girl thread.

by Anonymousreply 195December 28, 2020 11:51 PM

Jabba is R191 and R192. it likes to talk to itself. At least this time, the fat pig refrained from making a homophobic slur.

by Anonymousreply 196December 29, 2020 2:52 AM

R191 is not me, you stupid, pathetic, insane fagula. Go toss yourself from the nearest bridge.

by Anonymousreply 197December 29, 2020 3:52 AM

[quote] Go toss yourself from the nearest bridge.

You'll do anything to have someone come visit you, won't you, Jabba?

by Anonymousreply 198December 29, 2020 6:46 AM

[quote]You'll do anything to have someone come visit you, won't you, Janbot?

As usual, you make zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 199December 29, 2020 11:45 AM

That's because you're a moron, Jabba.

by Anonymousreply 200December 29, 2020 8:46 PM

[quote]That's because you're a moron, Janbot.

No, but you're definitely a faggot.

by Anonymousreply 201December 29, 2020 9:33 PM

I'm constantly amazed that Janbot/ regularly posts homophobic shit all the time on here but hasn't been banned yet.

by Anonymousreply 202December 29, 2020 11:39 PM

I love how Jabba constantly tries to get rid of its name by changing it. Janbot IS Jabba and always will be.

by Anonymousreply 203December 29, 2020 11:41 PM

When Jabba is in their alter-ego state (aka a), they post comments about how they aren't Janbot and you are crazy for accusing him and you are a troll. And then they switch back to Jabba and move on to other threads.

by Anonymousreply 204December 29, 2020 11:48 PM

Bombs Away

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205December 29, 2020 11:53 PM

The fag at R203/R204 has completely lost her mind.

All the while, Janet is now and will always be an icon.

by Anonymousreply 206December 29, 2020 11:53 PM

^Add R205 to that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207December 29, 2020 11:55 PM

Ooops. More bombs. Poor Janet has had more flops than hits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208December 29, 2020 11:56 PM

Oooops. Hard to deny the fact, Jabba.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209December 30, 2020 12:00 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210December 30, 2020 12:00 AM

This diseased faggot is truly off her meds. Go listen to MANdonna's last linoleum-selling album, dear.

by Anonymousreply 211December 30, 2020 12:03 AM

Wow. Another flop.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212December 30, 2020 12:05 AM

ICON

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213December 30, 2020 12:35 AM

"Apparently you missed her last album"

As did everyone else on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 214December 30, 2020 2:06 AM

[quote] As did everyone else on the planet.

See R207 and choke.

by Anonymousreply 215December 30, 2020 2:08 AM

Those Australian and New Zealand audiences are rough. Didn’t they walk out on Whitney Houston’s concerts back in the day?

by Anonymousreply 216December 30, 2020 11:13 AM

Yes, but to be fair, they heard the terrible vocals and thought that they had been tricked into buying tickets to a Janet concert.

by Anonymousreply 217December 30, 2020 4:17 PM

[quote]Yes, but to be fair, they heard the terrible vocals and thought that they had been tricked into buying tickets to a Janet concert.

Faggy say what?

by Anonymousreply 218December 30, 2020 4:56 PM

Jabba is TRIGGERED!

by Anonymousreply 219December 30, 2020 5:06 PM

Faggy says TRIGGERED! The hypocrisy of it all!

by Anonymousreply 220December 30, 2020 5:11 PM

What does it take to get this insane homophobe banned?

by Anonymousreply 221December 30, 2020 5:22 PM

It's time to get rid of Jabba for good.

by Anonymousreply 222December 30, 2020 5:32 PM

[quote] She's not some huge icon and most people under 40 would struggle to name any of her hits. We might know of her, but she's never been a presence in our lives.

This anti-Janet rhetoric is racist -- pure and simple. To suggest that an artist who amassed sixteen (16) No.1 R&B hits -- at a time when the charts were based on sales and airplay -- is not "iconic" is clearly intended to diminish her Black audience. She is most certainly iconic and without peers among her large, loyal Black fanbase.

by Anonymousreply 223December 30, 2020 5:34 PM

Without peers, R223?

Whitney Houston

Aretha Franklin

Gladys Knight

Beyonce

Diana Ross

Tina Turner

Mariah Carey

Rihanna

Alicia Keys

Donna Summer

and on and on and on

All as or more successful than Janet.

by Anonymousreply 224December 30, 2020 5:39 PM

R224, I suppose it's the best you can do to deflect from the obviously racist motivation of this thread.

None of those artists have as many No. 1 or Top 10 hits on Billboard 's R&B chart, except for Aretha. There is no other artist of Janet's generation that can be compared to her and her catalog of hits. Significantly, Black audiences typically favor vocally dynamic, proficient artists -- Aretha, Gladys, Chaka, Patti, Natalie, Whitney and Anita Baker. Still, Janet flourished and made a greater impact (commercially) in the same genre as those artists. The attempt to diminish her or her appeal is racist. It is saying "her Black fans dont matter, it only matters how much white gays like her. "

For the record, Janet and Aretha are not "peers." Is Barbra Streisand a peer of Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 225December 30, 2020 5:58 PM

Jabba's 2nd browser kicked in.

by Anonymousreply 226December 30, 2020 8:13 PM

[quote] None of those artists have as many No. 1 or Top 10 hits on Billboard 's R&B chart, except for Aretha.

Sales are what ultimately matter and Janet has been outsold by the likes of Shania Twain, Beyonce, Enya, Adele,Taylor Swift and Rihanna. That's particulary bad in the case of Shania and Adele--they only released two or three albums at their peak and they outsold someone who lasted about 16 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227December 30, 2020 9:53 PM

Wait, so the OP has been suspended but Janbot is allowed to constantly use homophobic language? Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 228December 30, 2020 10:02 PM

[quote] What does it take to get this insane homophobe banned?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229December 30, 2020 10:21 PM

R223/R225 nailed it. These insane Janet haters show their racist tendencies with each post. It’s the only explanation as to why they would consistently denigrate a woman who is truly one of the only major pop icons we have left who hit big time stardom in the ‘80s. Either that, or their hatred for Janbot drives thrk to say these completely asinine things. If it’s the latter, well, then, that’s just pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 230December 30, 2020 10:26 PM

Alicia Keys? Janet’s peer? LLLLOOOOLLLL!!

by Anonymousreply 231December 30, 2020 10:27 PM

[quote] Sales are what ultimately matter

Absolutely not. Impact and influence is what matters, and there is not a single pop and/or R&B act around today who hasn’t either outright said that Janet was an influence, or showed it in their own work. So kindly sit down and shut the fuck up about matters that you clearly know nothing about.

by Anonymousreply 232December 30, 2020 10:32 PM

R230 Fuck off for pulling the race card. Black celebs tend to be really fucked up and die young, whether in the tub, in their elevator, taking propofol, or Janet - who will inevitably choke on a KFC chickenbone. Their race has nothing to do with their legacy. We can hate and denigrate anyone we want, fucker.

by Anonymousreply 233December 30, 2020 10:52 PM

There's nothing racist about anyone's posts. Jabba is trying to deflect because Jabba is a homophobe and is being called out on it. So if Jabba cries racism, even though there is none, then in Jabba logic, that makes it okay to yell the word "faggot" every third post.

by Anonymousreply 234December 30, 2020 10:58 PM

[quote] Fuck off for pulling the race card. Black celebs tend to be really fucked up and die young, whether in the tub...

And white celebs aren’t fucked up and don’t die young, you stupid fucking queen? And it’s really telling that you supremacist jackasses consistently feel ok with dropping racist KFC jokes at the drop of a hat, but whine at every little FAGGOT thrown your way. And, because of that, I say fuck you. Too bad. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 235December 30, 2020 11:05 PM

R235 Fuck off and get 'rona, Jabba. Everyone on DL fucking hates your homophobic ass.

by Anonymousreply 236December 30, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote] For the record, Janet and Aretha are not "peers." Is Barbra Streisand a peer of Madonna?

Yes, you stupid fucking moron. They work in the same business and at the same time and (as the definition of peer states) they're "of equal worth or quality."

So maybe you are right, Jabba. Janet and Aretha are NOT peers. Aretha could buy and sell Janet a thousand times in terms of money and talent.

by Anonymousreply 237December 30, 2020 11:18 PM

R237 Aretha was getting fucked by her minister dad for years so she's not a good example lol. Aretha would be a simile of dad fucker Soon-Yi Previn.

by Anonymousreply 238December 30, 2020 11:22 PM

[quote] Aretha could buy and sell Janet a thousand times in terms of money and talent.

And Janet could get a standing ovation at a ceremony honoring Aretha, which she in fact DID.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239December 30, 2020 11:22 PM

Who are these people who virulently hold such disdain for someone as innocuous as Janet Jackson? I mean, the mind boggles.

by Anonymousreply 240December 30, 2020 11:24 PM

[quote] Everyone on DL fucking hates your homophobic ass.

😂 I don’t give a fuck if a despicable racist such as yourself hates me. Really. Hate on, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 241December 30, 2020 11:26 PM

Janet's huge ass could be a target from Mars. DL loves to hate on celebs. Attacking Jabba is just fun because she's such a huge cunt.

by Anonymousreply 242December 30, 2020 11:26 PM

[quote] Attacking Janbot

Is that what you call it?

by Anonymousreply 243December 30, 2020 11:28 PM

Jabba needs to learn its name. You are Jabba and you will always be Jabba, you fat homophobic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 244December 30, 2020 11:46 PM

[quote] you fat homophobic cunt.

😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣😁😁😁😁😄😄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245December 31, 2020 6:16 AM

[quote]All as or more successful than Janet.

And definitely with better voices.

by Anonymousreply 246December 31, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote]All as or more successful than Janet.

And none with a #1 album in the 80s/90s/2000s/2010s, or with an album that is the only album in history with 7 Hot 100 top 5 hits, or their first 3 films being US box office #1s, or holding the record for having the biggest debut world tour of all time, or being the first declared MTV ICON, or being the first woman to have a single debut in the Hot 100 top 10...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247December 31, 2020 4:39 PM

And yet they're all still more successful.

by Anonymousreply 248December 31, 2020 5:00 PM

The Witch of Whisper-Coo.

Fanfic, anyone?

by Anonymousreply 249December 31, 2020 6:44 PM

Well, it's not fanfic because it actually happened, but here's the story about Janet feeding her family with Baja Fresh cards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250December 31, 2020 8:17 PM

"You should pay for us...we're the Jacksons..." I would have tried to open the car door on I-5 and threw all of them out into the traffic.

by Anonymousreply 251January 1, 2021 12:37 AM

The Jacksons, inc ma and dead pa, are the biggest, cuntiest, most repulsive parasitical family in US history. Second only to the Kardashians.

by Anonymousreply 252January 1, 2021 12:39 AM

That’s almost as bad as when Madonna used the N-word on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 253January 1, 2021 1:05 AM

[quote]That’s almost as bad as when Madonna used the N-word on Instagram.

Oh yes, I clearly remember that. And when she dragged her black son out onto the red carpet ala Sambo while dressed like Cain from Poltergeist.

by Anonymousreply 254January 1, 2021 1:28 AM

R251 and R252 are two queens filled with vitriol. What's the matter, dearies? No special someone to share NYE with?

by Anonymousreply 255January 1, 2021 1:29 AM

There is nowhere on this Earth, or on Pluto, or on the moon, or anywhere in time and/or space that Alicia Keys is as successful or more successful than Janet Oscar-nominated-Grammy-winning-actress-singer-dancer-businesswoman-ICON-RNR Hall of Fame inducted-making-hits-and-acting-in-films-and-on-TV-since-your-faves-were-mere-children-Jackson. To even suggest such stupidity is worthy of ten beatdowns.

by Anonymousreply 256January 1, 2021 1:33 AM

It might be cold comfort, but I'm sure that Janet could beat all of these women at a pie-eating contest.

by Anonymousreply 257January 1, 2021 2:30 AM

Looking at her family you totally get why whisper-cooing Janet is the most talentless, slutty, ruthlessly selfish cunt alive. Michael always warned his kids to stay the fuck away from her. He said she was pure selfish evil.

by Anonymousreply 258January 1, 2021 2:32 AM

Did Michael really say that about her? I thought they were close.

by Anonymousreply 259January 1, 2021 2:34 AM

R259 Are you fucking kidding? They hated each other. Their rivalry on the Scream video caused the cost to balloon up to 7 million. Clearly being raised by that bullying psychopath Joe fucked them both up. They are both toxic as fuck. Michael hated his whole family, why wouldn't he hate lil areola-flashing, KFC-eating, whisper-cooing Janet. She's obviously as big a cunt as both Oprah and Diana Ross combined.

by Anonymousreply 260January 1, 2021 2:38 AM

R260, I'm surprised he didn't hate LaToya after she outed all the shady things about him.

by Anonymousreply 261January 1, 2021 2:40 AM

He hated Janet because she rode his coattails to a career (for a while). If Michael hadn't been so slow making Bad, then Janet would never have had a career. They needed something to fill the gap in between Thriller and Bad, and Victory was a flop (the album was, not the tour), so they figured- let's get the fat little sister and make her sound like Michael. And there you go- a career is born.

by Anonymousreply 262January 1, 2021 3:40 AM

[quote] There is nowhere on this Earth, or on Pluto, or on the moon, or anywhere in time and/or space that Alicia Keys is as successful or more successful than Janet Oscar-nominated-Grammy-winning - -actress-singer-dancer-busines - swoman-ICON-RNR Hall of Fame inducted-making-hits-and-actin - g-in-films-and-on-TV-since-you - r-faves-were-mere-children-Jac - kson. To even suggest such stupidity is worthy of ten beatdowns.

Alicia signed with Arista Records, and later released her debut album, Songs in A Minor, with J Records in 2001. The album was critically and commercially successful, producing her first Billboard Hot 100 number-one single "Fallin'" and selling over 16 million copies worldwide. The album earned Keys five Grammy Awards in 2002.

Her second album, The Diary of Alicia Keys (2003), was also a critical and commercial success, spawning successful singles "You Don't Know My Name", "If I Ain't Got You", and "Diary", and selling eight million copies worldwide.[1] The album garnered her an additional four Grammy Awards.[2] Her duet "My Boo" with Usher became her second number-one single in 2004. Keys released her first live album, Unplugged (2005), and became the first woman to have an MTV Unplugged album debut at number one. Her third album, As I Am (2007), produced the Hot 100 number-one single "No One", selling 7 million copies worldwide and earning an additional three Grammy Awards. In 2007, Keys made her film debut in the action-thriller film Smokin' Aces. She, along with Jack White, recorded "Another Way to Die" (the title song to the 22nd official James Bond film, Quantum of Solace). Her fourth album, The Element of Freedom (2009), became her first chart-topping album in the UK, and sold 4 million copies worldwide. In 2009, Keys also collaborated with Jay Z on "Empire State of Mind", which became her fourth number-one single and won the Grammy Award for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. Girl on Fire (2012) was her fifth Billboard 200 topping album, spawning the successful title track, and won the Grammy Award for Best R&B Album. In 2013, VH1 Storytellers was released as her second live album. Her sixth studio album, Here (2016), became her seventh US R&B/Hip-Hop chart-topping album. Her seventh studio album, Alicia, was released on September 18, 2020.[3]

Keys has received numerous accolades in her career, including 15 competitive Grammy Awards, 17 NAACP Image Awards, 12 ASCAP Awards, and an award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame and National Music Publishers Association. She has sold over 50 million albums and 40 million singles worldwide and was named by Billboard the top R&B artist of the 2000s decade.[4][5] She placed tenth on their list of Top 50 R&B/Hip-Hop Artists of the Past 25 Years. VH1 included her on their 100 Greatest Artists of All Time and 100 Greatest Women in Music lists, while Time has named her in their 100 list of most influential people in 2005 and 2017. Keys is also acclaimed for her humanitarian work, philanthropy and activism; she co-founded and serves as the Global Ambassador of the nonprofit HIV/AIDS-fighting organization Keep a Child Alive.

Jabba never seems to get tired of being wrong.

by Anonymousreply 263January 1, 2021 3:44 AM

I can't believe how expensive the Scream video was.

Yes, it looked great. It was actually the first (and only time) I had any interest in the two of them.

In today's dollars, the video cost $12 million.

by Anonymousreply 264January 1, 2021 3:48 AM

QUE ?

Who is Jammit Jackman?

by Anonymousreply 265January 1, 2021 3:52 AM

I always hated Alicia Cunt. Even more than Janet Jackson. Alicia was always pretending to be black, wearing those ridiculous head dresses. What a wanna be fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 266January 1, 2021 4:12 AM

She's still sold more records than Janet.

by Anonymousreply 267January 1, 2021 4:25 AM

Alicia Cunt has sold more records than Janet. So fucking what. Is this a cunt-est between two super cunts everyone on DL hates.

by Anonymousreply 268January 1, 2021 4:32 AM

Janet Jackson has sold more than 100 million records.

Janet Jackson has an Oscar nomination

Janet Jackson is in the RNR Hall of Fame

Janet Jackson has 7 #1 albums and 10 Hot 100 #1s

Janet Jackson is the only artist in history with 7 top 5 singles from one album

Janet Jackson signed two landmark record desks in one decade

Caterwauling, husband-stealing, part-time dyke Alicia Keys has done none of these things, but she is good at giving legends shoulder rubs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269January 1, 2021 9:24 AM

* Janet Jackson signed two landmark record deals in one decade

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270January 1, 2021 9:26 AM

[quote] Yes, it looked great. It was actually the first (and only time) I had any interest in the two of them.

Lies. But, a fag is a fag is a fag.

by Anonymousreply 271January 1, 2021 9:29 AM

"Put the fork down, dear."

by Anonymousreply 272January 1, 2021 2:58 PM

You can tell that Janet didn’t want that lesser’s fishy fingers on her.

by Anonymousreply 273January 1, 2021 3:43 PM

Umm, Janet hasn't sold 100 million records, she has sold 78 million according to actual reliable sources. She had a similar output level to Whitney, but Whitney sold literally twice what she did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274January 1, 2021 5:22 PM

Janet was a huge influence on singers like: Ashanti, Paula Abdul, Stacey Q, Selena Gomez, Mandy Moore.

by Anonymousreply 275January 1, 2021 6:11 PM

Stacy Q was one of the many one-hit wonder type Madonna wannabees and freely admitted to this in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 276January 1, 2021 6:15 PM

For R275

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277January 1, 2021 6:20 PM

Paula Abdul is even less of a "singer" than Janet. Are you that fucking brain dead? A non-singer inspired another "non-singer". Jesus fucking Christ.

by Anonymousreply 278January 1, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote]Are you fucking kidding? They hated each other. Their rivalry on the Scream video caused the cost to balloon up to 7 million. Clearly being raised by that bullying psychopath Joe fucked them both up. They are both toxic as fuck. Michael hated his whole family, why wouldn't he hate lil areola-flashing, KFC-eating, whisper-cooing Janet. She's obviously as big a cunt as both Oprah and Diana Ross combined.

R260, what in the hell did they do to raise the budget of the video? It wasn't even that great of a song. Mostly screaming and irony of ironies, Janet needed autotune for THAT.

by Anonymousreply 279January 1, 2021 7:01 PM

I did a simple google search. This explains why it was so expensive. Sony had to foot the bill.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280January 1, 2021 7:13 PM

What' sfunny is that the song Scream isn't even remembered well compared to Michael's other hits, yet it's one Janet's biggest hits on streaming.

by Anonymousreply 281January 1, 2021 7:25 PM

^What's funny is that you "conveniently" neglected to mention that Janet's Together Again, her biggest worldwide hit and a moving tribute to friends she lost to AIDS, IS her biggest streaming song.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282January 1, 2021 7:31 PM

Probably because that's irrelevant to the point I was making and Together Again isn't even a big hit on streaming at all.

by Anonymousreply 283January 1, 2021 7:37 PM

On youtube, Scream has 100+ million views. That's Janet's only song with that many views.

by Anonymousreply 284January 1, 2021 7:39 PM

[quote]Probably because that's irrelevant to the point I was making and Together Again isn't even a big hit on streaming at all.

The only point you were trying to make was just how much of a big homo asshole you are, which was came across quite clearly.

by Anonymousreply 285January 1, 2021 7:40 PM

Made For Now is close at 74 mill. Also, what the hell kind of rapid research was R284 performing? I mean, talked about PRESSED.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286January 1, 2021 7:41 PM

[quote] The only point you were trying to make was just how much of a big homo asshole you are, which was came across quite clearly.

OK then a. Continue withdrawing from your meds.

by Anonymousreply 287January 1, 2021 7:41 PM

R286, are you blind? That video with Daddy Yankee has 75+ million views. That's not over 100 million. Scream has more views than that despite being released like 15 years ago. Stay pressed though.

by Anonymousreply 288January 1, 2021 7:43 PM

I did say "close," moron. The way you were blathering on in your previous post, you would think that Janet didn't have another video that came close to 100 mill views.

by Anonymousreply 289January 1, 2021 7:47 PM

Seeing as the video gets about 15,000 views a day, that's really not "close" at all. Based on that, it will not be reaching 100 million anytime soon. Stay pressed though!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290January 1, 2021 7:53 PM

"Janet's Together Again, her biggest worldwide hit and a moving tribute to friends she lost to AIDS, IS her biggest streaming song"

Why should anyone mention that when you continually use homophobic slurs, you fucking musically-illiterate cunt?

by Anonymousreply 291January 1, 2021 7:55 PM

This fucking song is so terrible, she might as well have not bothered. No one would know what it was about. It probably wasn't even about anyone with AIDS. Janet just said that after the fact to curry favor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292January 1, 2021 8:05 PM

Agreed. Together Again is one of her worst songs. It doesn't come across as a song dedicated to aids deaths. Velvet Rope was the beginning of train-wreck Janet. Where she couldn't stop exposing her privates and her lil titties. Then a few years later All For You was disgusting and practically X-rated. She over-did the sex starting with Velvet Rope. None of her young fans wanted to see her old lady titties and whisper-cooing snatch! Fucking gross.

by Anonymousreply 293January 1, 2021 8:35 PM

Listen to the pressed, sex-negative nelly little faggots blathering on about sex!

by Anonymousreply 294January 1, 2021 8:46 PM

Also loved the "Deeper" remix version of the song, which came with a different video where Janet portrays a woman returning home from the funeral of a loved one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295January 1, 2021 8:49 PM

[quote] Janet portrays a woman returning home from the funeral of a loved one.

Colonel Sanders?

by Anonymousreply 296January 1, 2021 9:01 PM

This is my favorite remix of the song...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297January 1, 2021 9:12 PM

"Janet portrays a woman returning home from the funeral of a loved one."

Based on her haircolor, I'm assuming it was her lover, Hamburglar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298January 1, 2021 9:15 PM

Yass, that is the best mix of TA!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299January 1, 2021 9:19 PM

Jabba, why are you telling yourself about remixes of Together Again?

by Anonymousreply 300January 1, 2021 9:20 PM

Is Jabba talking to his imaginary friend again? Does Jabba need his special candy again?

by Anonymousreply 301January 1, 2021 9:53 PM

Jabba believes 75 million is greater than 100 million--I'd say they have a couple of imaginary friends, at least.

by Anonymousreply 302January 1, 2021 10:00 PM

Jabba posted at R297 and then answered itself at R299. This is just the latest example of Jabba trying to pretend Janet has more than one fan.

by Anonymousreply 303January 1, 2021 11:38 PM

Ugh, I just heard Nasty on the 80s channel. She talks through the whole song. So fucking awful.

by Anonymousreply 304January 2, 2021 2:02 AM

[quote]Ugh, I just heard Nasty on the 80s channel. She talks through the whole song. So fucking awful.

You're less convincing than Madonna is trying to appear sane on IG.

by Anonymousreply 305January 2, 2021 2:20 AM

R304 LOL. Fat Janet was liberating all the fat girls that year.

by Anonymousreply 306January 2, 2021 2:30 AM

[quote][R304] LOL. Fat Janet was liberating all the fat girls that year.

You type queer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307January 2, 2021 2:32 AM

Nasty liberated many during the 2016 presidential election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308January 2, 2021 2:41 AM

"You type queer."

You type undereducated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309January 2, 2021 3:07 AM

[quote] Colonel Sanders?

Is that a chicken joke?

by Anonymousreply 310January 2, 2021 3:24 AM

Another talk sing performance- Miss You Much.

by Anonymousreply 311January 3, 2021 1:28 AM

^Shut up, queer.

by Anonymousreply 312January 3, 2021 12:17 PM

Jabba is PRESSED!

by Anonymousreply 313January 3, 2021 7:49 PM

^Fag.

by Anonymousreply 314January 3, 2021 8:25 PM

You mad, Jabba?

by Anonymousreply 315January 3, 2021 8:42 PM

Janbot, mad at a faggot? Surely you jest!

by Anonymousreply 316January 3, 2021 9:20 PM

Speaking of Jabba, have we ever discussed Judy doing Blackface? Tasteless. Like Jabba.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317January 3, 2021 9:44 PM

Jabba, your dildo has arrived.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318January 3, 2021 9:46 PM

Janet Jackson. Not exactly a great tole model of a strong woman nor a gay ally once a seven figure check to perform for Saudi royalty is concerned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319January 3, 2021 9:51 PM

The artists (including one-time hitmaker, Janet Jackson) set to perform, said Halvorssen, "constantly make public statements of support for LGBTQ+ rights, Black Lives Matter, and women's rights, except, apparently, when a seven-figure check is attached. The hypocrisy is breathtaking."

by Anonymousreply 320January 3, 2021 9:53 PM

"One-time" hitmaker? We're not talking about Madonna here. What was that one song by her? The one where she ripped off that ABBA song? Hung Low or something?

by Anonymousreply 321January 3, 2021 10:40 PM

Jabba really must be pressed. It's making up stories again. Poor Jabba. Can't handle what a flop Janet is. Titty flop and music flop.

by Anonymousreply 322January 3, 2021 10:43 PM

The only flop I see around here is the tepid response by the pressed faggy at R322.

by Anonymousreply 323January 3, 2021 10:50 PM

LOL JanBot actually brought up Janet's streaming numbers and youtube views. Do you WANT people to go and look to see how low they are?

JanBot = FAIL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324January 4, 2021 12:05 AM

OP What the fuck makes you presume most people like her music?

by Anonymousreply 325January 4, 2021 12:10 AM

One! Two! Three! Four!

How about over a million more listeners than alleged "icon" and supposedly "still relevant" Janet Jackson.

Bwahahahahaha! Oh, come on aby and do the conga! No one cares about Janet any longer!

Hahahahahahaha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326January 4, 2021 12:15 AM

Do you believe in life after "Nasty"?

3 million more listeners! And I'm as old as they come and haven't had a hit in years!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327January 4, 2021 12:18 AM

Two million more listeners! I haven't had a big hit in decades. . AND I'm dead!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328January 4, 2021 12:20 AM

Oh look, the pressed faggot assed queer stopped taking her meds.

by Anonymousreply 329January 4, 2021 12:25 AM

Oh look, Janet stopped taking her diet pills.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 4, 2021 12:36 AM

Nice try, cuntalingus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331January 4, 2021 12:41 AM

"Oh look, the pressed faggot assed queer stopped taking her meds."

You've been shown up.

by Anonymousreply 332January 4, 2021 12:48 AM

^ Old video, stupid. Or just how many times do you think she's recycled that exact same outfit plus hairstyle?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333January 4, 2021 12:53 AM

It’s not an old video, dumb fuck. She sported the faux-dreadlock look in early 2020 while shooting photos for her Black Diamond album project.

by Anonymousreply 334January 4, 2021 1:21 AM

Wow, Janet is so broke she's recycling her fat clothes and plastic hair. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 335January 4, 2021 1:27 AM

Janet is rich, always has been rich, always will be rich, and could buy and sell your faggot ass with one phone call.

by Anonymousreply 336January 4, 2021 1:44 AM

Not rich enough to afford a decent plastic surgeon tho. Sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337January 4, 2021 1:49 AM

R336. Rihanna and Madonna could buy Janet’s fat ass 100 times cause they’ve sold hella more records. Poor Janet is in the fourth tier. Still, pretty good considering she whispered over Jam And Lewis songs,

I love how Janbot uses homophobic slurs, as if being obsessed with Janet Jackson is not the definition of swish.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338January 4, 2021 7:40 AM

Well, we aren't sure if Jabba has a cunt or not. Or if Jabba is a woman.

by Anonymousreply 339January 4, 2021 8:23 AM

[quote] Rihanna and Madonna

One has mimicked Janet’s style and shown her influence in her own work, and the other is barely mobile these days and old enough to be Janet’s mother. And neither of them grew up with fame and money the way that Janet did, a woman who was cashing industry checks when they were just dreamers. Their nouveau riche personalities prove it.

by Anonymousreply 340January 4, 2021 10:31 AM

Ridiculous R340.

You're saying that Madonna could have been Janet's mother at the age of 8 years old? That's how much older Madonna is than Janet.

Also - I wouldn't be pretending to know who is nouveau riche and who isn't. The Jackson family are pedophile protecting trash and were always grifting and about the money and everybody knows it. Trash. I mean - many of them - including Janet - tried to be cosmetically reconstructed as white people for fuck's sake. "Skin conditions" indeed...

by Anonymousreply 341January 4, 2021 10:42 AM

[quote]many of them - including Janet - tried to be cosmetically reconstructed as white people for fuck's sake

No, sweetie. I don’t think so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342January 4, 2021 10:46 AM

Uh huh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343January 4, 2021 11:53 AM

No but all the red carpet interviews and the media in general calling George Clooney "Gorgeous George" all the time certainly made me hate him.

Janet at least has some talent.

by Anonymousreply 344January 4, 2021 11:56 AM

There goes Jabba, publishing 35 year old photos of Janet again and trying to pass them off as current.

by Anonymousreply 345January 4, 2021 7:39 PM

Is that a queer that I hear?

by Anonymousreply 346January 4, 2021 8:52 PM

Janet's plastic surgery disasters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347January 5, 2021 6:03 PM

^All of that pales compared to this monstrosity...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348January 5, 2021 9:20 PM

It's like comparing ET to Roger from American Dad--neither looks great.

by Anonymousreply 349January 5, 2021 10:37 PM

You can see the scars from Janet’s rhinoplasty on the side of her nose. Her original nose was fine. Now she looks like a black version of DL fave Nanette Fabray.

Albeit one addicted to Taco Bell.

by Anonymousreply 350January 6, 2021 3:19 PM

Here's a good write up about When I Think of You.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351January 9, 2021 1:00 AM

Her first #1. The video for WITOY is still epic after all these years. The amazing Paula Abdul/Michael Kidd choreography and the seamless “one take” edit, all on an old style movie set ala the MGM musicals of yesteryear. Janet got Julien Temple to direct the video after seeing his movie Absolute Beginners. The video is an homage to the opening sequence of that film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352January 9, 2021 1:13 AM

Where'd we be without Jabba pushing that fat, blackish, KFC-eatin', whisper-cooing wench?

by Anonymousreply 353January 9, 2021 1:22 AM

That video mix of the song is my favorite. The rehearsal footage is awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354January 9, 2021 2:35 AM

[quote] Her first #1. The video for WITOY is still epic after all these years. The amazing Paula Abdul/Michael Kidd choreography and the seamless “one take” edit, all on an old style movie set ala the MGM musicals of yesteryear. Janet got Julien Temple to direct the video after seeing his movie Absolute Beginners. The video is an homage to the opening sequence of that film.

Jabba yet again unwittingly illustrates how other artists do all the heavy lifting for Janet, and she just waddles in at the end, whispercooing and following the patterns on the floor for where to go.

by Anonymousreply 355January 9, 2021 6:20 AM

Mmm, Eddie Garcia is so hot in that rehearsal video.

by Anonymousreply 356January 9, 2021 9:23 AM

The video at R352 has a paltry 10 million views and the "awesome" video at R354 has a whole 129 views. JanBot is pretty much the only person watching.

by Anonymousreply 357January 9, 2021 2:24 PM

[bold]She’s not an R&B singer in any kind of classic sense, and there’s no church in her voice. (Whitney Houston got “How Will I Know” only after Janet Jackson turned it down. “How Will I Know” might’ve been written specifically for Jackson, but there’s no way she could’ve handled it as well as Houston did.)[/bold] But while “When I Think Of You” doesn’t really show Jackson’s vocal chops, which were still forming, it does show her sense of rhythmic timing. It shows that she knows how to disappear into a beat, to become one with it.

by Anonymousreply 358January 9, 2021 2:26 PM

[quote] Whitney Houston got “How Will I Know” only after Janet Jackson turned it down.

Why would Janet have gotten first crack at How Will I Know? When Whitney was recording her first album in 1984, Janet was a two-time loser who no one was rushing to sell a song to.

[quote] But while “When I Think Of You” doesn’t really show Jackson’s vocal chops, which were still forming

Poor things never did form, did they?

[quote] it does show her sense of rhythmic timing. It shows that she knows how to disappear into a beat, to become one with it.

A singer only "disappears into a beat" when they have no talent to outshine it.

by Anonymousreply 359January 9, 2021 4:31 PM

"'When I Think Of You' doesn’t really show Jackson’s vocal chops"

The only "chops" Janet Jackson has ever had are pork.

by Anonymousreply 360January 9, 2021 6:37 PM

I love how the diseased faggot at R355/R357/R359/R360 (because yes, it IS the same person) is WWing itself. A loser defined.

by Anonymousreply 361January 9, 2021 7:13 PM

JanBot projecting as usual.

by Anonymousreply 362January 9, 2021 7:18 PM

Jabba projecting as usual.

by Anonymousreply 363January 10, 2021 3:11 AM

Janet making excuses for her pedo brother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364January 13, 2021 8:16 PM

^Hey, you stupid fucking hick, you DO know that there was just a second impeachment on your dear leader, right?

by Anonymousreply 365January 13, 2021 8:52 PM

Poor Jabba, grasping at straws and deflecting as always.

by Anonymousreply 366January 13, 2021 10:46 PM

^Silly faggot.

by Anonymousreply 367January 14, 2021 12:18 AM

Jabba has been awfully quiet. Did someone leave a pie at its door?

by Anonymousreply 368January 18, 2021 11:16 AM

R368 one of Miss Minnie’s shit pies.

by Anonymousreply 369January 18, 2021 11:47 AM

Janbot is was here, is here and will ALWAYS be here.

by Anonymousreply 370January 18, 2021 1:06 PM

Jabba can't afford prime time.

by Anonymousreply 371January 18, 2021 1:08 PM

But Jabba sho can afford pie!

by Anonymousreply 372January 18, 2021 5:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!