Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Karen Black Sister Receiving Obscene Telephone Calls

I mean how would you feel if you answered your cellphone and all you heard on the other end was "Heavy Breathing"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323January 29, 2021 12:43 AM

Wait- She's Karen Black's sister and her last name is Brown? Was she trying to lighten up for more acting opportunities?

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2020 5:05 PM

When I was 12 I’d make prank phone calls to numerous unsuspecting people in the local phone directory. Sometimes I’d only whisper-coo the word “sex” after they said “hello?”

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2020 5:09 PM

Phyllis Diller used to joke that obscene phone callers would always hang up on HER.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2020 5:11 PM

Lol r3!

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2020 5:16 PM

Heavy breathing is a good deterrent for scam callers who try to get my credit card info. I answer two or three questions when scammers / phishing agents / robocalls call me, then I ask what the caller is wearing and I start to breathe heavy and I groan.

The number of scam calls has dropped.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2020 5:16 PM

It’s what she gets for living at Four Two One Five Pussy Way. They’re all cocksuckers there.

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2020 5:20 PM

At my university, the 3-digit exchange was only for the school, so you could call any random number and know that it was someone there in a dorm. I used to get calls in the middle of the night ALL the time from guys asking if I wanted to jack off with them on the phone.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2020 5:21 PM

[quote] all you heard on the other end was "Heavy Breathing"

That was Connie Ford getting ready to give Clarice a good old kick in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2020 5:23 PM

OP also obviously posted that video clip on YT.

It’s simply hilariously awful! Peak soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2020 5:24 PM

It looks like one of those old Mormon short dramas. Does Gail turn to Jesus in the end? Can she save the caller's soul?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2020 5:28 PM

Why are you calling?

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2020 5:59 PM

The heavy breather is calling from inside the house, Clarice.

by Anonymousreply 12December 7, 2020 6:04 PM

For all the DLers under 50:

Obscene phone calls were once fairly common because at the time there was no such thing as caller ID.

by Anonymousreply 13December 7, 2020 6:05 PM

[quote] The heavy breather is calling from inside the house, Clarice.

They live in an apartment

by Anonymousreply 14December 7, 2020 6:07 PM

Wasn't Clarice's husband Larry the Chief of Police? My God what awful acting.

by Anonymousreply 15December 7, 2020 6:17 PM

R14 how about a group home?

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2020 6:17 PM

I love the lifetime movie/soap opera reaction of women to prank callers. Who is this? Why are you doing this?

My sister was a beautiful teenager and she had a heavy breather. Instead of getting all outraged she would listen as he breathed heavily. It was clear he was masturbating because eventually he would climax. Then because he had to clean himself up he would hang up. She would just hang up and go about her business.

So eventually she answered and I wanted to hear so I gestured to her to give me the phone. I listened and yes it was quite clear he was stroking his lubed up cock. I let him cum and as soon as he began to grunt intently I said “oh man that’s hot!” My sister laughed and the guy hung right up. He called back the next day but wasn’t grunting, and he never called back after that.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2020 6:24 PM

Sorry I meant obscene callers, not prank callers. ^^^

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2020 6:25 PM

R17, that’s a great story. I LOLed.

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2020 6:33 PM

R2 = Janet Jackson

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2020 6:33 PM

It is hard to believe that Robert Delaney (Nicholas Coster) was madly in love with Clarice (Gail Brown) while trying push away a classy broad like Iris, who fighting Clarice for Robert!

by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2020 6:39 PM

If Rachel or Ada got these obscene phone calls they wouldn't freak out like Clarice, - they'd just hang-up and forget about it

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2020 6:57 PM

Where's the obscene phone call you ever got?

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2020 7:08 PM

Gail, Peter, and Karen. Ziegler is the family name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2020 7:29 PM

So Rauch canned Jackie Courtney and Ginny Dwyer for bad "soap opera-ish" acting, while the far inferior Gail Brown lasted his entire tenure and beyond?!?! Rauch even built a whole family around Clarice. Someone please explain that!

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2020 8:21 PM

[quote] So Rauch canned Jackie Courtney and Ginny Dwyer for bad "soap opera-ish" acting

No, he canned them for being Divas behind the scenes

Ginny Dwyer showed up day after day not knowing her lines and just "winging it"

And Jaquie threw her weight around - going so far as demanding NBC install a private bathroom in her dressing room - at considerable expense. As no other actor made that demand

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2020 8:24 PM

Miss Brown's acting choices... phew...

"ANSWER ME!" (Immediately slams down phone)

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2020 8:28 PM

Lmao r20

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2020 9:29 PM

Didn't the heavy breather turn out to be Brian Bancroft:? They found a shrine of Clarice pictures in his apartment.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2020 9:49 PM

Neither Ginny or Jacquie were divas. NBC moved Heaven and Earth to get Jacquie back. It may have caused resentment, but for the ratings it was a good move. Rauch was a serial sexual harasser and Lemay a notorious drunk.

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2020 9:51 PM

R29 no it was Jerry Grove, Blaine's ex-husband

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2020 9:51 PM

[quote] Neither Ginny or Jacquie were divas

Ginny never studied her lines and Jacquie demanded a private bathroom

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2020 9:52 PM

Hugh Marlowe fumbled and stumbled his way through every scene in his many years on the show but was never fired. He was pure awfulness.

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote] Hugh Marlowe fumbled and stumbled his way through every scene in his many years on the show but was never fired. He was pure awfulness.

That is what happens when men are in charge of a show that has a women's audience - they protect the men. The old-boys club

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2020 11:33 PM

That's what Karen did , r1, when she played Connie White.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2020 11:37 PM

Bev Penberthy, or maybe it was her nephew, posted here what seems like ages ago that Marlowe only took the job to support his late-in-life kid. It showed! On his best days he seemed absolutely bored.

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2020 11:38 PM

Brown and Black were their married names. They held on to them longer than the marriages.

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2020 11:38 PM

R36 it was her gay nephew - I wished he came back to post -

He used to take our question, ask his Aunt Bev and report back here

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2020 11:39 PM

"at the time there was no such thing as caller ID."

Anyone remember *69?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2020 11:46 PM

This is probably not popular opinion but Bev Penberthy was the number 1 Bev in my book. Yes McKinsey had charisma and personality to spare, and that wonderful velvety voice! However, Bev Penberthy was a much better actress IMO. She was so understated and nuanced, it's a shame that Rauch and Lemay couldn't recognize her value beyond B-story player. I suppose she was too low key and faded into the background compared to McKinsey, Wyndham, Watson and Ford, who often played to the back row.

by Anonymousreply 40December 7, 2020 11:48 PM

A person of interest

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2020 12:20 AM

Hiya Iris!

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2020 12:22 AM

And here I thought it was Alma Rudder, just callin' to fuck with Clarice's nerves.

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2020 12:25 AM

[quote]Rauch and Lemay couldn't recognize her value beyond B-story player

Everyone was B list behind Wyndham, Watson and McKinsey in Lemay’s (and NBC’s and P&G’s) estimation, but Lemay was quite fond of Penberthy. It was after he left that the writing absolutely failed her.

by Anonymousreply 44December 8, 2020 12:27 AM

WHET Beverly P's Nephew?

by Anonymousreply 45December 8, 2020 12:30 AM

Gail Brown was a terrible actress but there was something about her Clarice that was endearing, nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 46December 8, 2020 12:32 AM

Karen’s sister is black, OP? Karen who?

Oh, you mean ‘Karen Black’s sister’ - you were obviously taught that spelling doesn’t matter if something sounds the same.

Dolt.

by Anonymousreply 47December 8, 2020 12:35 AM

OP typed it like that to aid easy use of the search function.

by Anonymousreply 48December 8, 2020 12:40 AM

I sincerely doubt that, R48.

by Anonymousreply 49December 8, 2020 1:48 AM

[quote] I sincerely doubt that

Search Engine Optimization doesn't like hyphens

by Anonymousreply 50December 8, 2020 1:52 AM

R50 which has nothing to do with apostrophes, but keep trying, OP.

by Anonymousreply 51December 8, 2020 2:26 AM

If Kathy Glass had played Clarice, she would've been alongside Wyndham, Watson, and McKinsey in the A-stories. Or should I say Q-stories. For those unaware, Miss Katherine Glass was a frightfully delightful young actress with a superbly high Q score, and holds the record for most teen fan mail in any given month among daypart actors.

by Anonymousreply 52December 8, 2020 11:56 AM

It’s been so long since I’ve had an obscene phone call.

I would be overjoyed if I got one now!

by Anonymousreply 53December 8, 2020 12:11 PM

Oh fuck, the Glasshole is back.

by Anonymousreply 54December 8, 2020 1:37 PM

[quote] which has nothing to do with apostrophes, but keep trying, OP.

Get over yourself

by Anonymousreply 55December 8, 2020 3:10 PM

Jackie Courtney was such a melodramatic actress.

by Anonymousreply 56December 8, 2020 3:15 PM

[quote] . For those unaware, Miss Katherine Glass was a frightfully delightful young actress with a superbly high Q score, and holds the record for most teen fan mail in any given month among daypart actors.

RARE video of Katherine Glass on The Doctors

she QUIT her role on One Life To Live, where she had a HUGE following as Jenny Wolek, to follow ex-OLTL producer Doris Quinlan at "The Doctors"

Unfortunately for Glass The Doctors wound up cancelled, and Glass replacement on OLTL Brynn Thayer became an even bigger superstar than Glass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 8, 2020 3:15 PM

I can't believe someone beat me to the Hiya Iris.

And I love, love, love the Glass Troll. Hi gurl!!! 😁🤣😂

by Anonymousreply 58December 8, 2020 3:20 PM

Jacquie C has her fans but I think she was terrible.

Then again, Lady Eyes a Buggin and I had THE KIND OF LOVE YOU'LL NEVER KNOW!

(Thank the Baby Jeebus someone moved this to a new site. And I randomly clicked on the clip....and it played RIGHT at the moment of "Where is the son YOU'VE ever given him?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 8, 2020 4:13 PM

Bless the op of this thread, I think I have a new appreciation for why it was given this title

by Anonymousreply 60December 8, 2020 4:19 PM

[quote] Jackie Courtney was such a melodramatic actress.

Yep I agree

by Anonymousreply 61December 8, 2020 6:49 PM

R58 Smooches!

by Anonymousreply 62December 8, 2020 7:22 PM

Clarice as a character was a practicality. Every soap had a cop, and that cop needed a long-suffering wife (see the updated version in the '90s with Joe and Paulina).

Jerry Grove, who as a poster stated upthread, was the heavy breather, had been poorly recast and I think they wanted a spectacular way to get him off the show. The character was actually played by three different actors in two years.

In the storyline, Jerry (Clarice's husband Larry's best friend) was badly mentally ill but did not know it. In fact, he didn't even know that he was making the calls. Sure, Jer. He ended up locked in the psych ward and then forgotten. Clarice recovered from the trauma but never became a better actress. In fact this was probably her last major storyline, and it was still strictly a quickie B storyline that began and ended in under a month.

Clarice also served a purpose as a reactor (reactress?) for Blaine, when they were pushing Blaine front and center as the new Rachel (bad girl who they could eventually reform). Blaine needed someone to talk to after Sally left to go to nursing school, so Clarice became her go-to. They spent a lot of time hand-wringing.

by Anonymousreply 63December 8, 2020 7:37 PM

Only the people loved Jacquie Courtney. The fact that Paul Rauch and Hard=on Lemay had some twisted affection for theater people and Ms. Courtney was not that at all, tells you everything you need to know.

by Anonymousreply 64December 8, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote] Only the people loved Jacquie Courtney.

Well, certain fans did. Usually the ones who reveled in her agonies.

by Anonymousreply 65December 8, 2020 10:07 PM

Kevin Conroy (Jerry Grove #2) showed off his furry hairy chest when he played the role

He would later come out publicly as gay years later

by Anonymousreply 66December 8, 2020 11:05 PM

Susan Harney was of the theatre. She was wonderful in the role. Jackie Courtney was basically daytime's version of Patti Duke.

by Anonymousreply 67December 9, 2020 12:24 AM

You know, Lemay and Rauch weren't the only ones who loved theatre people. Soaps, mainly the NYC soaps, were packed with theatre people, both on and off Broadway. It was sort of a best of both worlds situation.

Jacquie Courtney could have had a lifelong job on AW, but she made a different choice because she didn't want to play a certain story. Jacquie wasn't George. He was disruptive and belittling and caused chaos. All Jacquie had to do was play a story. The same with Virginia Dwyer, all she had to do was play a story, but her loss was Irene Daly's gain.

Sometimes you have to make a choice, do you want to make a point or do you want to make a living.

by Anonymousreply 68December 9, 2020 12:30 AM

[quote] Jackie Courtney was basically daytime's version of Patti Duke.

As Helen Keller?

Moaning like a seal and flapping her flippers? That I could see

by Anonymousreply 69December 9, 2020 1:13 AM

[quote] Jacquie Courtney could have had a lifelong job on AW, but she made a different choice because she didn't want to play a certain story.

She objected to a storyline where Alice would fall for her husband's brother.

When she returned years later, she was unhappy with a storyline (played by another actress) where Alice and Mac became a couple (see below)

Jacquie called such a storyline "Incestuous" - which is too bad, because I could see a Alice/Mac/Rachel triangle - but Jacqui wanted no part in a story like that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 9, 2020 1:47 AM

Brown and Black dressed in white.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 9, 2020 2:01 AM

Poor Karen had bigger problems than obscene callers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 9, 2020 2:09 AM

AW was desperate in the early 80s and I always thought Rauch cast Linda Borgeson as Alice because she resembled Linda Evans both physically and with her warm demeanor, and then paired her with Mac to capitalize on the Blake/Krystle pairing which was hugely popular at the time. I'm probably one of the few who liked the Watson/Borgeson pairing, but their storyline was saddled with a really miscast David Canary as Steve Frame and all the baggage that came with his failed return story.

by Anonymousreply 73December 9, 2020 2:13 AM

Caller: “You know what you look like to me, Clarice, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube.”

Clarice: “That’s obscene!”

by Anonymousreply 74December 9, 2020 5:56 AM

Clarice: What do you mean can I hear the silence of the lambs?

by Anonymousreply 75December 9, 2020 5:58 AM

Susan Harney WAS the Julie Harris of daytime tv during her run on AW Irene Dailey was Helen Hayes. What a treat they both brought to the sanguine world of soap opera. Victoria Wyndham was more Claire Bloom. Anne Meacham was divine!

by Anonymousreply 76December 9, 2020 3:18 PM

What was I, chopped liver?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 9, 2020 3:31 PM

How did ultimate bulldyke Ada manage to snare four husbands? Which snatches was she eating on the side? Gwen? Angie? Louise? Aunt Lez?

by Anonymousreply 78December 9, 2020 4:48 PM

Say it! Say it!

"She! Vas! My Girlfriend!"

by Anonymousreply 79December 9, 2020 4:51 PM

R78 I bet Ada sampled Rose Perrini's bolognese......

by Anonymousreply 80December 9, 2020 9:14 PM

I was the stupid kid who “pranked” the operator. Bitch decided she would teach me a lesson by literally staying on my line for 2 hours not allowing me to use the phone to prank more individuals.

by Anonymousreply 81December 9, 2020 9:21 PM

Constance Ford seemed like a competent actress in the 1950's. But as Ada on "Another World" she was wooden and flubbed her lines. It's like she got off the couch, called a taxi, walked onto the stage and read cue cards (badly).

by Anonymousreply 82December 10, 2020 12:42 AM

Connie playing to the cheap seats. This never gets old.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 10, 2020 4:35 AM

I love the old bat and she delivered a performance out of that, but damn, it was obvious she was reading cue cards.

I don't think in the old days they cared so much about cards, because half the housewives were only watch-listening while they ironed and what not.

by Anonymousreply 84December 10, 2020 6:41 PM

One of my favorite things is watching an old movie and seeing Connie show up. She had a decent career in film and on the stage. She was 44 when she started on AW, which is right around 4 years after a woman's film career tends to sputter out -- at least back then.

by Anonymousreply 85December 10, 2020 7:15 PM

A lucky thing that *I* haven't reached that age yet!

by Anonymousreply 86December 10, 2020 7:39 PM

Did Connie "try out" the young talent as they joined the show? Didnt one of the elderlezzzies crush hard on the first Cecile, Susan Keith , or am I thinking of another show?

by Anonymousreply 87December 10, 2020 10:10 PM

My grandma who was in her late 60s at the time would prank me and my mom after my parents divorced. I’d pick up the phone and sh’d be snorting like a pig. I never would guessed my own grandma would be responsible for doing this until we had a trace put on the phone calls. They all came from her home.

by Anonymousreply 88December 10, 2020 10:58 PM

Wow, gramma was a cunt!

by Anonymousreply 89December 12, 2020 2:16 AM

[Quote] Oh, you mean ‘Karen Black’s sister’ - you were obviously taught that spelling doesn’t matter if something sounds the same.

I am ashamed to admit I do this too sometimes. Just lazy as I swipe type. Spank me. I deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 90December 12, 2020 5:23 AM

Irene Daily and Connie licked each other’s pussys. Yum yum yum.

by Anonymousreply 91December 12, 2020 7:01 AM

r89 yes my grandma was a mean ol bitch. she hated my mom and me.

by Anonymousreply 92December 12, 2020 9:42 AM

Constance Ford and the late Nancy Wickwire(Lez, er Liz#3) were CLOSE.

by Anonymousreply 93December 12, 2020 10:23 AM

Connie Ford was straight. I think you're confusing the actress with the the character, who was meant to be tough and gritty. By all accounts, IRL Connie was supposedly pretty feminine and quite demure.

by Anonymousreply 94December 12, 2020 12:54 PM

So many lezzys on AW. Even Geraldine Court was there for awhile in ‘79 lezzing it up.

by Anonymousreply 95December 12, 2020 1:24 PM

How many Jamie's were gay IRL?

by Anonymousreply 96December 12, 2020 1:36 PM

[quote]Connie Ford was straight. I think you're confusing the actress with the the character, who was meant to be tough and gritty. By all accounts, IRL Connie was supposedly pretty feminine and quite demure.

Ada was rough around the edges with a heart of gold who had been beaten down by life and bad men (character description from 1967). Connie was probably a lesbian, but I'm not sure if it has been proven one way or the other.

And since I am gay with gay on top, this is one of the framed photos I have in my converted walk in closet. It's my favorite shot of Connie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97December 12, 2020 1:43 PM

Did Connie prefer working with Robin or with Eyes A'Buggin?

by Anonymousreply 98December 12, 2020 1:47 PM

Connie gave Robin a real kick in the cunt.

by Anonymousreply 99December 12, 2020 1:48 PM

[quote] Connie Ford was straight.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA

Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 100December 12, 2020 1:55 PM

[quote] Constance Ford and the late Nancy Wickwire(Lez, er Liz#3) were CLOSE.

Connie and Nancy were exes. Nancy and Connie had been involved when they were younger, but Nancy ultimately married a man for a time.

Harding Lemay asked Connie for input to name Ada's onscreen daughter, and she picked Nancy to honor Nancy Wickwire.

by Anonymousreply 101December 12, 2020 1:57 PM

Oh Connie might've experimented with women during her modeling days, but at the end of the day she was basically into dick. Trust me on this one.

by Anonymousreply 102December 12, 2020 2:00 PM

[quote]Did Connie prefer working with Robin or with Eyes A'Buggin?

She and VW had trouble at first, but worked it out and they became friends. Mostly it had to do with some of VW's character choices and method, being different than Robin's.

by Anonymousreply 103December 12, 2020 2:03 PM

What R103 said. This is nicely covered in Lemay's book.

Connie was in some ways testing Victoria W to make sure she could cut it. But they eventually became thick as thieves. I think Connie liked Strasser, and Strasser definitely leaned on her as a mother figure.

by Anonymousreply 104December 12, 2020 2:06 PM

R97 Those legs were made for scissoring.

by Anonymousreply 105December 12, 2020 5:17 PM

[quote] And since I am gay with gay on top, this is one of the framed photos I have in my converted walk in closet.

The converted walk in closet is, I presume, the gay on top?

by Anonymousreply 106December 12, 2020 5:24 PM

Sex sex whispercoo

by Anonymousreply 107December 12, 2020 6:46 PM

Connie spread her legs for Ms.Daily

by Anonymousreply 108December 13, 2020 12:54 AM

That dreadful Clarice woman.

by Anonymousreply 109December 13, 2020 1:13 AM

Connie liked dick. She and Dolph Sweet had a thing going on. I think she also had a fling with Jordan Charney.

by Anonymousreply 110December 13, 2020 1:16 AM

The glory days before caller ID! We used to prank call people all the time, all in good fun. This is a good one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111December 13, 2020 1:32 AM

I struggle to imagine Connie Ford knowing her way around a penis that was not her own

by Anonymousreply 112December 13, 2020 2:18 AM

Bug eyes used to call Connie Snatch Breath.

by Anonymousreply 113December 13, 2020 2:24 AM

What did she mean by that, Dorothy at r113?

by Anonymousreply 114December 13, 2020 2:36 AM

Ignore Miss R113. She's waiting for her afternoon serving of colostomy bag stew.

Oh, it was so quiet here for 100+ responses. Pleasant. But like all dreams, it had to be ruined eventually.

by Anonymousreply 115December 13, 2020 3:07 PM

Whatever the fuck THAT was supposed to mean!!

by Anonymousreply 116December 13, 2020 4:16 PM

Miserable old bitch Strasser is seethingly pissed off that Dano is going to Days to play her role. Ha ha cunt.

by Anonymousreply 117December 14, 2020 5:34 AM

Miss Courtney could never match the subtlety of Miss Harney.

by Anonymousreply 118December 14, 2020 2:39 PM

Strasser was horrible as Vivian. I know the character is over the top, but she played her like a cartoon villain - it's no wonder she wasn't asked back.

by Anonymousreply 119December 14, 2020 7:12 PM

Strassman so desperately wanted a guest actor Emmy for playing viv but her peers didn’t vote for her.

by Anonymousreply 120December 14, 2020 7:36 PM

I know this is not popular opinion but I think Strasser was the worst of the Dorians. I think Nancy Pinkerton, Claire Malis, and Elaine Princi were far superior actresses. The words "subtlety" or "nuance" are not in her vocabulary.

by Anonymousreply 121December 14, 2020 7:48 PM

Princi was a great Dorian. She had better chemistry with Mark Brettschneider than Strasser had. Pinkerton was a goddess.

by Anonymousreply 122December 14, 2020 7:50 PM

They should've booked Elaine Princi as Vivian

Then they could've had the original Kate Roberts (Elaine Princi) act against the third Kate Roberts (Lauren Koslow)

by Anonymousreply 123December 14, 2020 7:52 PM

Claire Mails scared the bejesus out if me when I watched as a kid. Strasser took a cartoonish approach to the role. Luckily for her that worked with Rauch's 80's OTT vision for the show.

by Anonymousreply 124December 14, 2020 8:05 PM

Let's be honest. McKinsey was no great actress. Like many successful daytime actors, she got by because she had a certain look and a ton of on-screen presence and charisma. And that wonderful velvety voice. She was somewhat interesting on AW but looked bored beyond belief on Texas and GL. Her contemporaries like Hubbard and Maeve Kinkead and Wyndham and Jeanne Cooper were much more competent actors.

by Anonymousreply 125December 16, 2020 7:42 PM

R125 Couldn’t agree more. There is a reason why McKinsey never won an Emmy and the reason is simple. She wasn’t that good.

by Anonymousreply 126December 16, 2020 8:32 PM

Was watching some GL circa 1985, and McKinsey's line reading is so stilted. It was a scene with that actress who played Darcy. Really bad writing and acting all around. McKinsey was much better when she could be elevated by people like Chris Bernau and Warren Burton. Otherwise, she wasn't very good. Exactly, no Emmy proves it that she wasn't very talented.

by Anonymousreply 127December 16, 2020 8:53 PM

Gail Brown was in the original Broadway company of "Funny Girl" with Barbra Striesand

that is wild

by Anonymousreply 128December 17, 2020 1:50 AM

Spicen makes me hard.

by Anonymousreply 129December 17, 2020 2:28 PM

I never appeared on the P&G shows because I could not stand the thought of carrying Bev McKinsey through all of her scenes!

by Anonymousreply 130December 17, 2020 2:52 PM

I, too, liked Linda Borgeson as Alice. Of the four actresses cast in the role of Alice after Jacqueline Courtney was fired, I thought Borgeson was the best of them. She captured the character's warmth and vulnerability better.

I loved the Mac-Alice pairing when Borgeson played Alice. Thought it brought out wonderful qualities in Mac. Really wish the show had pursued that pairing more.

Problem was Victoria Wyndham was a much stronger actress and could overwhelm Borgeson. But the same was true of Wyndham overwhelming Courtney.

Similarly, David Canary was so miscast as Steve Frame. Canary is a great actor but was completely wrong for the part of Steve Frame.

None of the above was helped by the fact the show brought on an inexperienced playwright to HW the show. Corine Jacker was in so far over her head. Show suffered greatly, with 1982 being one of the two worst years ever for the show. 1987 being the other one.

by Anonymousreply 131December 17, 2020 6:29 PM

I am the strongest performer that daytime has ever seen!

by Anonymousreply 132December 17, 2020 6:30 PM

Some "Another World" posters have suggested Tina Sloan would've been a better Alice, and could have stood up to Rachel

by Anonymousreply 133December 17, 2020 6:32 PM

Tina Sloan is a weak actress.

by Anonymousreply 134December 17, 2020 6:45 PM

Tina was playing Olivia Delaney at the time. What would any of you have of Barbara Rucker as Alice? I loved her on Texas. She had such a warmth and vulnerability but could convey strength too. I could see her going toe to toe with eyes a buggin.

by Anonymousreply 135December 17, 2020 6:47 PM

[quote]Karen Black Sister Receiving Obscene Telephone Calls

As well she should.

by Anonymousreply 136December 17, 2020 6:48 PM

[quote] Tina was playing Olivia Delaney at the time.

They actually brought on Vana Tribbey as Alice and Tina on as Olvia at the same time

They should've had the actresses switch roles at the last minute

by Anonymousreply 137December 17, 2020 6:54 PM

Agreed, Tina Sloan is no great actress.

by Anonymousreply 138December 17, 2020 7:01 PM

Barbara Rucker was wasted on Texas. I'm sorry to say that because I loved Texas (at least the final 18 months of it), but the show didn't do much with her Ginny Marshall character.

Ginny was nicely paired with Ryan Conner in the first few months. And then they made it into a triangle by bringing Ginny's presumed dead husband Barrett Marshall back to life. Great potential there, but that all fizzled out quickly.

Barrett got written out. Ryan disappeared someplace never to be mentioned again and Ginny was rarely used, waiting in the wings for a storyline that never came.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139December 17, 2020 7:06 PM

WHET Phillip Clark who played Ryan Conner?

by Anonymousreply 140December 17, 2020 7:06 PM

Phillip Clark is of the homosexual nature.

by Anonymousreply 141December 17, 2020 7:13 PM

Ryan and Ginny were fairly popular for a show that hardly anyone watched. They were featured pretty heavily until Gail Kobe and Pam Long took over. Kobe and Long just didn't write for Ginny and they got rid of Ryan pretty quickly. The only Marshalls they wrote for were Paige and Justin and they pretty much stopped writing the Marshalls as a family unit.

by Anonymousreply 142December 17, 2020 7:17 PM

LOL I don't ever recall Jacquie being intimidated by Vicki Wyndham. The writing was so skewered by that drunk Pete LeMay - to highlight VW it was distracting. A head writer who obsesses over a leading lady he can't stand writing for , one who is mega popular (and probably didn't kiss his ass) lead to all of HIS juvenile b.s.

by Anonymousreply 143December 17, 2020 7:18 PM

[quote] WHET Phillip Clark who played Ryan Conner? Ryan disappeared someplace never to be mentioned again

Phillip Clark quit the show, because he was unhappy doing daytime (that was his first soap) - the show set up a nice Ryan-Justin rivalry, but that had to be scrapped when Clark quit the show.

TPTB invested so much in a Ryan-Ginny love story, that they could recast or kill the character off. They couldn't decide which way to go (to write him off they sent him on a long business trip overseas) - so they let Barbara Rucker dangle, until they could decide what to do.

Finally they killed the character off - but by that time the show was practically cancelled

by Anonymousreply 144December 17, 2020 7:19 PM

[quote] A head writer who obsesses over a leading lady he can't stand writing for

And how did they fire Jacqui Courtney? She (Jacqui) went on vacation, and Paul Rauch used that opportunity to screen-test and cast Jacqui replacement

First night Jacqui returned home from her vacation, she gets a message to call Rauch ASAP. When she does, he tells her over the phone don't bother coming back to NBC studios, You've had your last day. We will send your things to you.

That is COLD.

by Anonymousreply 145December 17, 2020 7:24 PM

Years ago, someone here on DL said Phillip Clark was gay IRL.

He never pinged for me, but that was 40 years ago and my gaydar wasn't as fine tuned back then when I was a gayling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 17, 2020 7:27 PM

What about Jane Elliot as Alice. I know she didn’t resemble Jacquie Courtney, but she started on GL around that time, she had a following from GH, and she’s a strong actress.

Watson, Canary, Wyndham and Elliot all in the same storyline-they might have been able to elevate the junk scripts and kept the quadrangle going for a few more years.

by Anonymousreply 147December 17, 2020 7:40 PM

Hello?

Who did you fuck?

When?

Last night, bitch!

Your husband.

This is your grandmother

I know. I fucked grandpa!

by Anonymousreply 148December 17, 2020 7:45 PM

I adore Jane Elliot. The woman should have several Emmys by this point. She raises the quality of any scene that she's in.

Jane Elliot can certainly project strength in her performances. But I don't really ever recall her projecting vulnerability in her performances.

One of Alice's main character traits was the fact she is vulnerable and gives off the vibe of someone you want to protect.

by Anonymousreply 149December 17, 2020 7:55 PM

Jane Elliot never would've worked as Alice. Just all types of wrong. Plus she and Canary had zero chemistry. AMC chem-tested them when they were trying to figure out to do with Jane's Cynthia character, and they had no spark. Now Jane as Donna might've worked. I love Anna Stuart but she is not the most nuanced of actresses and tends to drift into caricature.

by Anonymousreply 150December 17, 2020 8:04 PM

Hello

Why are you such a cunt?

Who!?

You, bitch!

Suck my twat!

by Anonymousreply 151December 17, 2020 8:06 PM

Instead of killing off Mary Matthews, why didn't they replace Ginny Dwyer with someone like Gloria Hoye or Grayson Hall?

by Anonymousreply 152December 17, 2020 8:06 PM

Hello?

Get your dick out of my pussy!

I don’t have a dick!

That’s good. I don’t have a pussy!

by Anonymousreply 153December 17, 2020 8:08 PM

[quote] But I don't really ever recall her projecting vulnerability in her performances.

Then you never saw her as Carrie on GL.

by Anonymousreply 154December 17, 2020 8:11 PM

Jane is too hard looking to have been Alice. The role required someone softer and warmer looking, which is probably why Tribbey didn't work. Why did Harney leave anyway? Was she fired? I thought her low-key portrayal fit nicely in the B stories that Lemay slotted her in.

by Anonymousreply 155December 17, 2020 8:33 PM

How about Joan Van Ark as NuAlice?

by Anonymousreply 156December 17, 2020 8:42 PM

[quote] Why did Harney leave anyway?

she wanted to move on to other things

by Anonymousreply 157December 17, 2020 9:55 PM

Actually, I'm not sure if Donna Mills was still doing soaps in the 70s, but she would have been a perfect Alice recast. It was very similar to Laura Donnelly.

by Anonymousreply 158December 17, 2020 10:01 PM

R158 and Donna Mills said she would never play like that after playing Laura Donnelly

by Anonymousreply 159December 17, 2020 10:03 PM

They should've cast Janice Lynde as Alice rather than as that awful Tracey character

by Anonymousreply 160December 17, 2020 10:14 PM

Poor Janice - she was so coked up as Tracy DimWtt.

by Anonymousreply 161December 18, 2020 8:15 AM

Lemay should have let Michael Randolph be gay.

by Anonymousreply 162December 19, 2020 12:06 AM

It wasn't Lemay's call. P&G/NBC nixed it.

by Anonymousreply 163December 19, 2020 12:21 AM

I had such a crush on Richard Bekins. He was the best adult Jamie IMO. Intelligent, sensitive, and handsome. Is he gay IRL?

by Anonymousreply 164December 19, 2020 12:26 AM

They had Richard Bekins in so many shirtless scenes - however he was skin & bones. If that was today, TPTB would NOT have him shirtless, as he didn't have the body to pull it off, compared to other soap stars

by Anonymousreply 165December 19, 2020 12:28 AM

All the adult Jamies were gay, yes? Bekins, Stephen Yates (those jean shorts in his intro scene!), Laurence Lau and Russell Todd.

by Anonymousreply 166December 19, 2020 1:23 AM

Richard Bekins YES

Russell Todd YES

Larry Lau PROBABLY BISEXUAL

Stephen Yates UNKNOWN

by Anonymousreply 167December 19, 2020 1:34 AM

Sandy Alexander Cory only escorted for women!

by Anonymousreply 168December 19, 2020 1:44 AM

Serial Monticello.....STOP being so fucking dumb!!!

by Anonymousreply 169December 19, 2020 2:09 AM

The Beth Raines thread is Murieled. The Bob Hughes thread is still open.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 19, 2020 9:40 PM

Why move back to Bob Hughes when this one is still open for business?

by Anonymousreply 171December 19, 2020 11:05 PM

Im not sure everyone knows this is the current P&G thread.

by Anonymousreply 172December 19, 2020 11:31 PM

[quote] Im not sure everyone knows this is the current P&G thread.

I thought this was about Obscene phone calls?

by Anonymousreply 173December 19, 2020 11:32 PM

This thread is obscene!

by Anonymousreply 174December 19, 2020 11:35 PM

Is this the new P&G thread?

by Anonymousreply 175December 19, 2020 11:41 PM

Ok WHO was calling Clarice? What happened? I remember her blowing up when Larry went undercover. I always thought Larry and the 1st MJ were cute together. Clarice was pretty stupid.

by Anonymousreply 176December 20, 2020 3:56 AM

Was Clarice a hooker when she first came on the show? I remember her being described as a hooker with a heart of gold.

by Anonymousreply 177December 20, 2020 12:44 PM

Clarice was the gf of some gigolo Iris hired to break up Mac and Rachel. The actor whose name I can't recall, was in a lot of tv.

by Anonymousreply 178December 20, 2020 3:37 PM

Gail was only suppose to be on for a couple of episodes, but for some reason Hardling LeMay was so taken with her, they signed her to a contract

Her character of Clarice was a fore-runner to characters like Opal (AMC) & Nadine (GL) - sort of that trailer-trash character with a heart of gold

Once her character was married off to Larry Ewing, she was stuck in the "loving wife" - lucky her as that role lasted for almost 11 years before a new producer came in and wrote out the entire Ewing family,

by Anonymousreply 179December 20, 2020 3:40 PM

Clarice was only intended to be on the show for 2 or 3 episodes but she stole the scene from the vets and Lemay put her on contract.

Iris threw the cocktail party where she was introduced as a date of Phillip Wainwright, whom Iris had hired to seduce Rachel away from Mac. This was shortly after their original marriage in Feb. 1975. Phillip Wainwright was played by James Luisi who guest starred in numerous prime time show.

Luisi is best known for his recurring role on the Rockford Files playing Lt. Doug Chapman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180December 20, 2020 7:55 PM

Let's be real. How difficult was it to upstage a weak actress like McFlimsy?

by Anonymousreply 181December 20, 2020 8:49 PM

Clarice would often go to Mary Matthews for advice.

by Anonymousreply 182December 21, 2020 2:52 AM

Mary Matthew and Clarice Hobson were only on the show together for 2 months,

Another World Home Page says Clarice's first episode was Feb. 7, 1975.

Mary Matthews final episode was on March 28, 1975.

by Anonymousreply 183December 21, 2020 3:14 AM

Clarice also became the sounding board for Blaine's character when she (Blaine) would keep getting into trouble.

by Anonymousreply 184December 21, 2020 2:18 PM

Clarice would often go to Mary McKinnon for advice.

by Anonymousreply 185December 21, 2020 2:51 PM

[quote] Clarice would often go to Mary McKinnon for advice.

By the time Mary McKinnon was on the show, Clarice was long gone from Another World

by Anonymousreply 186December 21, 2020 2:53 PM

Gail Brown and Beverlee McKinsey look similar to me in OP’s clip, like Clarice is Iris’ trashy sister.

Amazing that she lasted on the show as long as she did -over 11 years, through all that backstage turmoil.

by Anonymousreply 187December 21, 2020 2:55 PM

I think her connection to the A-story characters like Rachel and Blaine gave her longevity.

by Anonymousreply 188December 21, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote] Gail Brown and Beverlee McKinsey

In the old days they were rivals, fighting over Robert Delaney

When Clarice returned for Ada funeral, they had the character (now played by Carmen Duncan) snub her

Also Clarice was married to the town cop, Larry Ewing - and when a new regime came in and wrote out Larry (to put in a sexier town cop) Clarice got swept out as she was so connected to Larry

by Anonymousreply 189December 21, 2020 3:00 PM

Who was the sexier cop? Adam Cory?

by Anonymousreply 190December 21, 2020 3:01 PM

Clarice would often go to The Virgin Mary for intercession

by Anonymousreply 191December 21, 2020 3:07 PM

That dumb twat Clarice tried to coax me into giving her advice. I told her to go fuck herself.

by Anonymousreply 192December 21, 2020 3:11 PM

[quote] Who was the sexier cop? Adam Cory?

Yes P&G hired John Whitesell as new EP and he was determined to get rid of alot of dead weight - first on the chopping block was Larry Ewing the cop, and traded that character for Adam Cory a sexier leading man

Since Clarice was so tied to Larry, she went as well.

by Anonymousreply 193December 21, 2020 8:29 PM

I never understood Ed Fry.

I gayed up our TV screens on two different shows. When he was first cast on AW, I figured he was there to be one of the first gay characters on a soap. He I looked gay. He pinged loudly. His pairings with women fell flat because of lack of chemistry.

Yet, he said repeatedly he was straight and married to a woman.

What was the deal with him?

by Anonymousreply 194December 21, 2020 8:51 PM

Adam Cory was Brand New Sexy Cop at around the same time Philece was Brand New Sexy Donna.

by Anonymousreply 195December 21, 2020 8:54 PM

John Whitesell fucked Judi Evans.

by Anonymousreply 196December 21, 2020 11:58 PM

Did McKinsey and Wyndham get along? Grant "Dong" Aleksander has often told a story that Bev related to him about a female scene partner on AW who was always trying to upstage her in scenes. I always assumed that was Wyndham. It's hard to believe Vicki could've been so unprofessional but who else could it have been?

by Anonymousreply 197December 22, 2020 12:43 AM

r197 That actress in queston was L:OOOOOONG ago established to be the person who is the subject of this thread title.

by Anonymousreply 198December 22, 2020 12:55 AM

R197 I don't think that Wyndham and McKinsey were BFFs or anything, but from all accounts they had a good and strong working relationship. As R198 points out McKinsey's story was about Gail Brown.

by Anonymousreply 199December 22, 2020 1:09 AM

McKunty was a cunt. Couldn’t stand her!!!!

by Anonymousreply 200December 22, 2020 1:58 AM

I think VW and Bev had a lot in common. They wanted to get home to their kids after a long day at work.

by Anonymousreply 201December 22, 2020 2:44 AM

I didn't think Judi Evans on the recent Locher room was cold toward the other Musketeers. She seemed quite pleasant but just didn't feel the need to dominate the conversation.

by Anonymousreply 202December 22, 2020 12:41 PM

R202 Agreed. Judi was fine with everyone. People like making shit up.

by Anonymousreply 203December 22, 2020 1:24 PM

Remember when DL fave and lesbian Geri Court played June Laverty? Did Connie Ford give her an "orientation"?

by Anonymousreply 204December 22, 2020 2:02 PM

Geri was a huge pussyhound back in the day so no doubt she sampled Connie’s snatch. Yum yum yum!

by Anonymousreply 205December 22, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] just didn't feel the need to dominate the conversation.

*whispers* like Vincent

by Anonymousreply 206December 22, 2020 2:08 PM

Did anybody you bitches ever respond to Sandy Alexander's bodywork ad in the Advocate classifieds?

by Anonymousreply 207December 22, 2020 3:19 PM

whatever

by Anonymousreply 208December 22, 2020 4:31 PM

Irene Dailey aka Aunt Lez always looked like she wanted to devour Susan Keith's Cecile. They shared many scenes together when Keith first joined, and Irene came off as predatory. Was I the only viewer who noticed that?

by Anonymousreply 209December 22, 2020 5:22 PM

Is there and Irene Daily and Connie Ford sex tape out there? That’d be HOT to see!

by Anonymousreply 210December 22, 2020 5:48 PM

[quote] I didn't think Judi Evans on the recent Locher room was cold toward the other Musketeers. She seemed quite pleasant but just didn't feel the need to dominate the conversation.

[quote] Agreed. Judi was fine with everyone. People like making shit up.

After reading ALL the comments on ALL the soap boards about this Musketeers "reunion"

The amount of people who wrote that Judi was fine during the reunion, could fit in a phone booth.

by Anonymousreply 211December 22, 2020 5:50 PM

[quote] The amount of people who wrote that Judi was fine during the reunion, could fit in a phone booth.

Link?

by Anonymousreply 212December 22, 2020 6:07 PM

R212

R202 & R203

by Anonymousreply 213December 22, 2020 6:13 PM

Let's beat this subject to death!

by Anonymousreply 214December 22, 2020 7:09 PM

Only if we can do it with Grant's dong, R214.

by Anonymousreply 215December 22, 2020 7:38 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216December 22, 2020 7:40 PM

I'd give my right leg to stop discussing Judi and the fucking four musketeers.

by Anonymousreply 217December 22, 2020 7:52 PM

Just like the assholes who are discusding the “reaction” Alan Locher had when PAS called him ‘babe’ when leaving the reunion. There was NO reaction from Locher. People make shit up.

by Anonymousreply 218December 22, 2020 8:12 PM

R215 I concur.

by Anonymousreply 219December 22, 2020 8:18 PM

Maybe Judi never got over Grant's pendulous dong hardening at the sight of Mindy doing her stretching exercises.

by Anonymousreply 220December 22, 2020 8:58 PM

I like your theory, r220.

by Anonymousreply 221December 22, 2020 9:05 PM

can we get back to the crank calls?

by Anonymousreply 222December 22, 2020 9:40 PM

Clarice is one of those characters that lingered on their soap for years , and faded from memory once gone.

Carol Stallings on ATWT is similar in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 223December 22, 2020 9:48 PM

^I would include Maureen Bauer too. She was just sort of there, just blended into the wallpaper. The actress who played her had all the charisma of a soiled dish rag. Once she was gone, she was forgotten in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 224December 23, 2020 2:14 AM

I admit it. I called that hussy Clarice.

Daddy was kind to her, but she made my skin crawl.

by Anonymousreply 225December 23, 2020 2:36 AM

Those characters were good because they were great talk tos. Occasionally they would get stories, but for the most part they were just there. Carol on ATWT, Peggy on GL, Sadie on OLTL, Maggie on Days, Aunt Liz on AW... we could do a whole thread just on these types of characters.

by Anonymousreply 226December 23, 2020 3:16 AM

[quote] we could do a whole thread just on these types of characters.

Many of us ARE those characters in our lives, I suspect.

by Anonymousreply 227December 23, 2020 2:03 PM

Let’s start by making a list of those supporting/“talk to” characters, the ones whose sole purpose was to listen to the other characters tell their woes. Specifically, the ones who were eventually written off after several years, and rarely or never mentioned again.

by Anonymousreply 228December 23, 2020 10:25 PM

Who was Rose's talk-to on ATWT? Mitzi?

by Anonymousreply 229December 23, 2020 10:27 PM

This was entertaining. I wonder why the stupid bitch kept picking up the goddamn phone? Get a clue you stupid Frau!

by Anonymousreply 230December 23, 2020 11:36 PM

Clarice was stupid ,she probably thought it was Tim McGowan calling her from the grave or something.

by Anonymousreply 231December 23, 2020 11:40 PM

Did Zimmer go on a pandemic diet?

by Anonymousreply 232December 24, 2020 2:57 AM

R232 Has MKA gone on a pussy eating diet during the pandemic? All she eats is pussy! Yummy yummy yummy.

by Anonymousreply 233December 24, 2020 6:02 AM

r233 I will ask Vee who is in the biz.

by Anonymousreply 234December 24, 2020 12:27 PM

Nola Reardon had Gracie.

Iris Cory had Vivien, of course, and Alexandra Spaulding had her maids as well (Vera, then Ginger and Donna).

by Anonymousreply 235December 24, 2020 1:13 PM

WHET to Dr. Sara McIntyre? She was a major character through the late 70s. Marland reduced her to glorified day player, then she just disappeared. She appeared briefly in one of the iterations of the disco theme. Did she appear under Kobe/Long? Evie Stapleton got the same treatment. Steve Jackson was another one who vanished with no explanation.

by Anonymousreply 236December 24, 2020 6:19 PM

anyway

by Anonymousreply 237December 24, 2020 8:10 PM

r236 I can't say for certain, but I believe all the characters you mention disappeared toward the end of Marland's tenure, or during the 8 months revolving door of HWs between Marland's final scripts in Sept 1992 and Pam Long's first scripts in May 1983.

by Anonymousreply 238December 24, 2020 9:18 PM

I think Evie appeared very briefly under Long. Her spot in the disco theme was replaced by Philip and Beth at the prom, which Pam definitely wrote. So she was definitely there for a split second during the Kobe and Long transition.

by Anonymousreply 239December 24, 2020 9:25 PM

R238 Sept 1982 you mean

by Anonymousreply 240December 24, 2020 10:06 PM

[quote] WHET to Dr. Sara McIntyre?

the actress who played the part opted NOT to renew her contract. Millette Alexander wanted to retire from acting to be a full-time pianist

In WHET features in Soap Magazines, when they interview Millette Alexander, she says she has NO regrets and enjoys playing the piano than acting.

by Anonymousreply 241December 24, 2020 10:14 PM

And R241 is the What Are Your Sources queen, so she would KNOW!

by Anonymousreply 242December 24, 2020 10:21 PM

R242 - nothing about Guiding Light on her bio

So looks like she has left acting, no regrets

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243December 24, 2020 10:24 PM

Vee from SON knows everything! He’s in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 244December 24, 2020 10:58 PM

I think Tim (Sara's son) continued appearing after she left. After Kevin Bacon left the role, I think it was recast twice before he disappeared. Without looking it up, the name TJ Mercantel comes to mind...

Evie was pointless without Rita or Ben, since she was essentially Rita's talk-to and mooned over Ben. I recall Nola making a scene prematurely announcing Bert and Stephen's engagement.

I dont think anyone really missed those characters. I think the characters were missed were Rita, Jackie, Hope, Hillary.

by Anonymousreply 245December 24, 2020 11:44 PM

Janet Grey (Eve) appears in the disco theme at the 11-second mark. I think she was cut pretty quickly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246December 25, 2020 12:11 AM

[quote] Without looking it up, the name TJ Mercantel comes to mind...

Christopher Marcantel who later played Curtis on "Loving"

The role of Tim Werner was recast again after Marcantel left to join Loving, forgot what the actors name is.

by Anonymousreply 247December 25, 2020 12:18 AM

Was Marcantel one of Marland's "boys"? He cast him on Loving.

by Anonymousreply 248December 25, 2020 2:56 AM

ughhhhhhh

by Anonymousreply 249December 25, 2020 3:41 AM

Between his stints on GL in 1981 and Loving in 1983, Christopher Marcantel also played Pete Shea on Another World in 1982.

Pete Shea was involved with Diana Frame, the Australian adopted daughter of Edward Black who was revealed to be Steve Frame (David Canary).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250December 25, 2020 3:53 AM

Marcantel looked a lot like one of the first guys I ever fooled around with.

Generically cute. Very sort of all American.

by Anonymousreply 251December 25, 2020 2:20 PM

Pete and Diana were positioned as the hot young couple, but they were so dull. Were they Corinne Jacker creations? They were a generic Romeo & Juliet-type couple -- she the pampered daughter of the rich construction tycoon, he the son of a working class union man who was at odds with the tycoon -- but even their family dynamics didn't cause much (interesting) conflict.

by Anonymousreply 252December 25, 2020 2:28 PM

After the Harry Must Die storyline and the fallout with baby Matthew, AW kind of limped along until the Cecile/Cass/Felicia/Wallingford/Kathleen stories then Cecile left and it all fell apart. Then it limped along again until Lemay/Swajeski. Then fell apart with the Red Swan, then picked up again with Who Shot Jake. Then more or less limped along until the end.

JFP spent a lot of money trying to turn it into a ER/NYPD Blue/Melrose Place show, but that didn't work. Lila added some much needed spark to the show, but by that point the show was on life support anyway, with only a few good moments here and there until the end.

People hated Justine and Lumina, but I think turning Jake into the hero and putting Jake and Victoria together and turning Marley into a psycho bitch was far worse than Jordan Starke and Amalie and crazed Justine.

by Anonymousreply 253December 25, 2020 3:04 PM

AW had its moments after LeMay left, but it was mostly garbage its last 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 254December 25, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote] JFP spent a lot of money trying to turn it into a ER/NYPD Blue/Melrose Place show, but that didn't work

Actually IT DID WORK - JFP was the only producer to push the female demo 18-49 to the highest ratings. It became the top P&G soap in that coveted female demo, AHEAD of ATWT & GL

NBC should have left JFP alone, as she quit after a year and a half because they kept micro-managing her.

by Anonymousreply 255December 25, 2020 3:46 PM

R255 Yup. JFP increased the demos bigtime and even beat GL in households and contrary to belief, it was not her decision to kill off Frankie. She was good for AW and quit because of meddling and the show went downhill from there. Ratings and demos never again matched what she was able to deliver.

by Anonymousreply 256December 25, 2020 4:53 PM

Ring ring....

Hello?

(In a whisper-coo voice) SEX. SEX. SEX.

Who in the fuck is this?.

Hang up.

by Anonymousreply 257December 25, 2020 5:18 PM

Yes we know, R255, no need to share several posts of ratings and 18-49 demos as you have before.

by Anonymousreply 258December 25, 2020 5:18 PM

JFP may have increased the demos, but her take on Another World was just too much too quickly. And I didn't care that Frankie Frame was murdered.

I will say this for Stephen Schnetzer, he managed to make 4 different pairings work and work well. I don't think he was given enough credit.

by Anonymousreply 259December 25, 2020 5:23 PM

"You know, we're so lucky, I mean we're so blessed just to be here in this lovely room surrounded by good and loving friends. Somehow that made me think of all the ones that weren't that lucky. The lonely ones in silent lonely rooms, those for whom this day may have been a day of pain, not of happiness.

I should like us to propose our toast to them. So, if they can somehow hear me now. If the glow from this tree, if the love that's coming from each one of you can reach beyond these walls to those we know, to those we may never know, if we can share somehow the great happiness we feel on this Christmas eve with them, then perhaps their loneliness may not be quite so lonely.

Perhaps they do know: in spirit we are with them. [Looking to the viewer] We are with you, every one. Merry Christmas!"

Mac's Christmas toast, AW 1982

by Anonymousreply 260December 25, 2020 5:46 PM

I assume sadly that was one of the ones lost in the purge, R260.

by Anonymousreply 261December 25, 2020 6:07 PM

You got it R261

by Anonymousreply 262December 25, 2020 6:10 PM

If anyone is bored they can read Beverly Penberty (Pat) lawsuit against her ex-husband for stiffing her out of a $1 million dollar settlement that was part of their divorce agreement

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263December 25, 2020 6:12 PM

I think all of the PG shows have everything from 1978 on.

by Anonymousreply 264December 25, 2020 6:12 PM

Beverly Penberty (Pat) lawsuit against her ex-husband went on for two years and all the motions, counter-suits and additional filings can be found at link below

You need PDF to open up the documents

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 25, 2020 6:13 PM

Did she win?

by Anonymousreply 266December 25, 2020 8:04 PM

Her homo nephew can comment.

by Anonymousreply 267December 25, 2020 8:21 PM

Why did McCunty age 10 years between Texas and GL?

by Anonymousreply 268December 25, 2020 9:06 PM

anyway...

by Anonymousreply 269December 25, 2020 9:57 PM

It’s Iris over the christening gown

by Anonymousreply 270December 25, 2020 10:42 PM

Go away Nelson Branco!

by Anonymousreply 271December 26, 2020 12:24 AM

[quote]Pete and Diana were positioned as the hot young couple, but they were so dull. Were they Corinne Jacker creations?

Yes, Corine Jacker is responsible for both characters.

by Anonymousreply 272December 26, 2020 12:43 AM

Pete and Diana and Sally and Leigh Hobson were precursors to Beth, Phillip, Rick and Mindy on GL.

by Anonymousreply 273December 26, 2020 12:47 AM

Pete and Diana were a couple in 1982. Both actors were on show less than a year.

Sally and Leigh were a couple in 1981. Christopher Knight was off the show 9 months after he started.

Sally is the only one of the four characters who had any staying power. Of course, she was also the only one tied to a major family.

Interestingly, Jennifer Runyeon who played Sally at the time of the Sally-Leigh pairing went on to play the Fake Cindy Brady in the 1988 TV movie A Very Brady Christmas. So, Runyeon and Christopher Knight not only played lovers on AW, they followed that up by playing brother and sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274December 26, 2020 12:55 AM

Pete and Diana were dull as dishwater. Not sure what Rauch was thinking.

by Anonymousreply 275December 26, 2020 2:44 AM

Here's the story!

by Anonymousreply 276December 26, 2020 3:58 AM

James Horan was probably my first crush as a grayling. Well, him and John Wesley Shipp. Anyone remember that pictorial layout of a speedo-clad JWS in one of the rags? Those photos awakened an indescribable purely animal lust in this gayling.

by Anonymousreply 277December 26, 2020 1:02 PM

Was Connie Ford a lezzy?

by Anonymousreply 278December 26, 2020 1:41 PM

^is water wet?

by Anonymousreply 279December 26, 2020 1:46 PM

lezzy

snatches

dyke

by Anonymousreply 280December 26, 2020 2:57 PM

Vee from SON is an expert on dykes. He’s in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 281December 26, 2020 3:03 PM

In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know. In the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 282December 26, 2020 3:26 PM

Maisie Watkins and Jeanne Ewing both had snatch breath. Just sayin

by Anonymousreply 283December 26, 2020 3:29 PM

Maisie was a big ole dyke. For sure.

by Anonymousreply 284December 26, 2020 3:41 PM

Pete and Diana were a charming couple. Pete would carry Diana's books and serenade her from the courtyard with songs of love and longing. That Steve Frame objected to Pere had to do with his middle class family. When did that bother Steve before - when he dated both Alice and Rachel? I guess he wanted more from his daughter. I thought Anita Gillette was a standout too, as Pete's mother. She had a warmth that lacked in Mary Matthews.

by Anonymousreply 285December 26, 2020 3:50 PM

[quote]That year, Ms. Jacker’s career took a different turn when she became head writer for the NBC soap opera “Another World.” But she quit after one season. “I hated it,” she told Mr. Wishna.

She really should not have been allowed anywhere near the show, but I guess they were hoping to strike gold twice by hiring a playwright.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286December 26, 2020 5:06 PM

AW was hoping to duplicate the success of Harding Lemay by bring in Corine Jacker.

Lemay was a playwright who'd never seen a soap much less written for one when P&G approached him about being HW in 1971.

Jacker had some good ideas, but she just didn't understand the flow of soap opera:

She didn't understand the way you slowly introduce characters (she introduced the Shea family in one huge batch only to kill off the mother, Loretta, three months later and the audience could have cared less),

She didn't didn't understand the way you build characters and let the audience gradually get used to thme (she added several black characters by throwing them in the deep end of the pool, figuratively speaking, and giving them major storytime from day one).

She didn't understand how you create tension on TV, (The audience knew Steve Frame would end up with Rachel rather that wonder whether he would chose between Alice and Rachel)..

She sure didn't understand about writing to an actor's strengths rather than their weaknesses (Linda Borgeson who was playing Alice suffered due to that one).

She didn't understand that the audience is invested in longterm characters and you find story for them because the audience cares about them (Beverly Penberthy was fired because Jacker said she couldn't write for Pat; something Paul Rauch allowed to happen!)

by Anonymousreply 287December 26, 2020 11:00 PM

Pete had one scene where he presented Diana with a rose and recited a poem by Robert Burns. Diana blushed and told Pete she was inexperienced in the ways of love and asked him to be patient with her. They talked about going to college as marrieds and she worried about burning toast. Pete was very patient with her. Diana always liked Rachel over Alice for her father and Pete respected that.

by Anonymousreply 288December 26, 2020 11:23 PM

Just to reiterate: The Beth Raines thread has been Murieled.

by Anonymousreply 289December 27, 2020 10:24 PM

Due to homeliness and dullness, the roles of Ed and Maureen Bauer are now being played by Dennis Cole and Shannon Tweed.

by Anonymousreply 290December 27, 2020 10:44 PM

John Wesley Shipp Singing "Christmas In New York" On Guiding Light - 40 years ago

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291December 27, 2020 11:34 PM

[quote] I thought Anita Gillette was a standout too, as Pete's mother. She had a warmth that lacked in Mary Matthews.

It was during this time with Corrine Jacker as Head Writer

Executive Producer Paul Rauch managed to sign more Broadway actors to the Soap. In addition to Anita Gillette, they signed Mary Joan Negro as Mac new love interest, and slowly started on integrate the show with Black actors. Some signed by Rauch : Morgan Freeman, Giancarlo Espisito, Michelle Shay and Howard Rollins Jr. who was just Oscar nominated for Ragtime.

by Anonymousreply 292December 27, 2020 11:38 PM

I was devastated when they killed Anita Gillette off. Ed Power's character I assumed they were going to pair with Pat. If Bev Penberthy had wanted to leave, Bibi Besch would have been an excellent Pat replacement, though she was probably already in Hollywood doing nighttime shows.

by Anonymousreply 293December 27, 2020 11:59 PM

Penberthy didn't want to leave. She was fired because Corinne Jacker didn't want to write for Pat. Damn shame!

by Anonymousreply 294December 28, 2020 2:46 AM

Penberthy was over rated. She was so blah! Is her gay homo nephew still here?

by Anonymousreply 295December 28, 2020 7:10 AM

I adored Michelle Shay as Henrietta Morgan. She was making pecan pies for sale to earn some extra money for the holidays at Christmas 1982. All the constant talk on the show about pecan pies left my mouth watering and I ended up going out to buy one which was quite delicious. And after that, I bought another, and then another -- all different brands as I was trying to find the best one in the grocery store!

by Anonymousreply 296December 28, 2020 7:15 AM

Did Warren Burton like the homosex?

by Anonymousreply 297December 28, 2020 12:41 PM

I thought all of the black actors added under Jacker -- including Shay, Robert Christian, Petronia Paley and Oscar nominee Howard Rollins Jr. -- were quite good. It's just that the stories didn't do them justice. From the July 4, 1982 NYT:

In 'Another World,' two families of blacks have newly arrived on the scene. The storyline centers on a detective whose wife has become so caught up in her food-catering service that she has little time for her husband or their teen-age son. So, the detective becomes romantically involved with Quinn, an upwardly mobile black businesswoman, while his son takes up with bad companions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298December 28, 2020 12:41 PM

Warren dated Janice Lynde, and at one time Lily Tomlin.

by Anonymousreply 299December 28, 2020 12:47 PM

[quote]Warren dated Janice Lynde, and at one time Lily Tomlin.

Warren? Warren who?

by Anonymousreply 300December 28, 2020 5:15 PM

Warren Beatty, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 301December 29, 2020 12:34 AM

[quote] Pete and Diana were a charming couple. Pete would carry Diana's books and serenade her from the courtyard with songs of love and longing. That Steve Frame objected to Pere had to do with his middle class family. When did that bother Steve before - when he dated both Alice and Rachel? I guess he wanted more from his daughter. I thought Anita Gillette was a standout too, as Pete's mother. She had a warmth that lacked in Mary Matthew

The character of Diana was to take advantage of the Princess Diana obsession sweeping the world - they had this Diana character with a British accent in a "National Velvet" type story-line. One of the reasons (among many) Pete & Diana were written out, was both their families got killed off. BOTH of Pete's parents got killed off, leaving him an orphan. While Diana's father (Steve Frame) got killed off, leaving her fatherless.

With no other family ties on the show, there was nowhere for the couple to go. So they went off the canvas. (see Pete & Diana in video below)

btw the actress who played Diana (see below) wasn't even British - she was from Long Island!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302December 29, 2020 12:44 AM

R302 thank u for that! Loved that couple. So much better than Beth and Phillp on GL!

by Anonymousreply 303December 29, 2020 12:57 AM

Well, Pete Shea's parents both were killed off before he was written off, but Diana Frame was written off before Steve Frame was killed.

Diana Frame's last air date was Sept. 21, 1982 according to Another World Home Page. Steve Frame (David Canary) last aired on Feb. 3, 1983.

by Anonymousreply 304December 29, 2020 12:59 AM

Christopher Marcantel is one of those guys with serious thick cock face.

by Anonymousreply 305December 29, 2020 1:01 AM

Marcantel was on LOVING and his character Curtis was kidnapped by Thom Christipher, tied up and locked in a dog cage. The sl had some very sadomasochistic vibes.

by Anonymousreply 306December 29, 2020 9:11 PM

On NBC Nightly News on Wednesday night, they did a segment honoring the celebrities who died in 2020.

Marj Dusay was included in that segment. They used a shot of her from GL with Jay Hammer as Fletcher in the background.

by Anonymousreply 307December 31, 2020 9:55 PM

It is obscene

by Anonymousreply 308January 6, 2021 1:49 AM

Clarice used to lug around a huge teddy bear - I think Philip Wainwright(James Luisi) gave it to her. What was its name?

by Anonymousreply 309January 9, 2021 12:55 AM

Emmy Winner Warren Burton (who won an Emmy on All My Children - then later played Jason Dunlop on Another World) said backstage at Another World was HORRIBLE - and NOTHING like the professionalism on All My Children

1983 Soap Opera Digest article: Warren Burton (Jason Dunlap, 1980-1982) called Another World "horrendous" and "the most awful time in my life, in the business." He said, "a lot of the problem may have been his own. People at AW were isolated from each other. Certain people would have favors extended to them that others wouldn't. And the echelon, if that's the word for it, was well marked. I mean you knew what your status was. I don't believe in stars on soaps, at least not backstage. I certainly don't believe that one puts more work into it than another. I think it's all a body of supporting parts.

There's no better example, I think, than someone like SUSAN LUCCI. who couldn't be more popular with the audience, but who pitches in with the rest of the cast, sharing the work load and joy without special attention. There (on Another World) you were made to think like it was the old A movie and B movies system. It was not a happy place. So, in fact, I finally gave my notice, and I'd never left a show in my life."

by Anonymousreply 310January 13, 2021 1:27 AM

So who was a cunt to Warren Burton? Paul Rauch? Whatever ingenue he was fucking? Vicky Wyndham? Connie Ford? Douglass Watson?

My money is on Wyndham, Rauch and his tramp.

by Anonymousreply 311January 13, 2021 2:18 AM

What echelon was Gail Brown on?

by Anonymousreply 312January 13, 2021 2:22 AM

People on DL like to drag VW and create this bitchy mystique around her. Granted, that might be DL fun and games. I think, VW -- at least -- from her own interviews and from what little others have said about her over the years is that she saw AW as a job and nothing more than a job.

It was a job that she enjoyed on an off for her 25+ year run, mostly off. It sounds like she came in, did her job, and then went home to her boys, after cashing her checks.

If VW was some diva, bitch on wheels I think we would have seen more evidence of that. My guess is VW, didn't do "soap" things and didn't go to industry parties, and except for Watson, Ford, Bekins, Crane, and Keating she didn't have many friends on the show.

by Anonymousreply 313January 13, 2021 2:35 AM

I just hate when asthmatics call.

by Anonymousreply 314January 13, 2021 2:44 AM

Ok so scratch Wyndham off the list r313..

I’d say it was Rauch and his tramp-wasn’t he fucking Janice Lynde?

by Anonymousreply 315January 13, 2021 2:54 AM

R315 Vicky Wydham was top billed OVER actors that had more seniority than her

when billed was determined by seniority

by Anonymousreply 316January 13, 2021 2:56 AM

Rauch was fucking everybody. Young Paul Rauch was incredibly attractive and fucked a lot. Maeve Kinkead was the only one who seems to have not been enticed by his charms.

by Anonymousreply 317January 13, 2021 2:57 AM

Then apparently billing wasn't determined by seniority, R315.

by Anonymousreply 318January 13, 2021 1:09 PM

VW and Doug Watson were moved to the top of the list, I think, after Jacquie and George were gone, everyone after VW and DW were in seniority order and that's the way it remained until the end of the run. VW didn't become the true #1 in seniority until Connie died.

by Anonymousreply 319January 13, 2021 1:23 PM

[quote]Then apparently billing wasn't determined by seniority, [R315].

Sorry, that was directed to R316.

VW and Doug Watson (and Beverlee McKinsey) were AW's undisputed stars (and ratings-getters) once Reinholt and Courtney were gone. They got the most airtime, the meatiest storylines, and I'm sure behind-the-scenes perks like favorable taping schedules.

But the show had fallen precipitously in the ratings and in story quality by the time Burton came on, so I imagine there was a fair amount of backstage panic, second-guessing and stupid decisions.

by Anonymousreply 320January 13, 2021 1:30 PM

From the start of AW, these actors were top billed - Leon Janney(Jim Matthews#1), Virginia Dwyer(Mary Matthews), Eeverly Penberthy(Pat Randolph), Jacquie Courtney(Alice Frame) and VW.

by Anonymousreply 321January 13, 2021 9:46 PM

I love when this bumps back to the top — this particular actress receiving heavy breathing calls that sound like a commercial jetliner taking off is just a bottomless source of discussion materiel.

by Anonymousreply 322January 13, 2021 10:02 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 323January 29, 2021 12:43 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!