Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Zac Hanson - Rightwing Nut Job

Former teen idol and Hanson drummer Zac Hanson has issued an apology following the leak of a Pintrest account maintained by the musician which contained right-wing transphobic, homophobic and racist content.

The account came to public light in June, following fan criticism of the band Hanson (a trio, consisting of Zac and his two brothers) for not voicing support of anti-racism during the George Floyd/#BlackLivesMatter protests. The band later issued a general denouncement of racism via Instagram following fan outcry, as did the three individual members. Conspicuously, none of them mentioned Black Lives Matter by name.

Then the Pintrest account became public. According to Vice, the account contained “a trove of pro-gun memes, many of which were racist, transphobic, homophobic, and sexist. Among them was one supporting George Zimmerman in the killing of Trayvon Martin, and another comparing the right to use an AR-15 rifle with Rosa Parks’s right to sit on a bus.”

Swift backlash ensued, and within days Zac Hanson confirmed that the account did belong to him. He first tried to explain it away as a joke saying “Maybe it’s in bad taste, a lot of comedy is.”

Now Hanson has issued a more pointed apology. “The leaked Pinterest page provided a distorted view of the issues surrounding race and social justice, which do not reflect my personal beliefs,” he wrote to Vice. “I apologize for the hurt my actions caused.”

Hanson rose to fame in 1997 with the hit song “MMMBop,” which went to #1 on the Bilboard Top 100. At the time, Zac Hanson was only 11 years old. Now 35, he is the father of four children and married to Kate Tucker. Last month, with “Hansongate” in full bloom, Hanson’s brother Isaac also posted a claim to Instagram that the government is using COVID-19 as an excuse to “cancel Christmas.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87November 20, 2020 4:44 PM

Just own it.

by Anonymousreply 1November 17, 2020 9:26 PM

Anything for a headline

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2November 17, 2020 9:28 PM

When people show you how they are, believe them.

by Anonymousreply 3November 17, 2020 9:28 PM

Beauty Fades, Dumb Is Forever.

by Anonymousreply 4November 17, 2020 9:30 PM

R2, why would this be included in THAT thread? Why should it be buried in that one about ANOTHER brother being an asshole?

by Anonymousreply 5November 17, 2020 9:31 PM

Leaking nudes will help us forgive faster, Zac.

by Anonymousreply 6November 17, 2020 9:32 PM

I wouldn't describe him as a beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 17, 2020 9:32 PM

I am always bemused by the whole “doesn’t reflect my views” defense.

Yes I wrote it, but it doesn’t reflect my views.

Yes I pinned it on my Pinterest page, but it doesn’t reflect my views.

Yes I liked it on Twitter/Instagram/whatever but it doesn’t reflect my views.

It’s so nonsensical.

by Anonymousreply 8November 17, 2020 9:34 PM

Hasn’t been relevant for decades. And where is his onlyfans

by Anonymousreply 9November 17, 2020 9:34 PM

How does he have time for all that with 4 freaking kids?

by Anonymousreply 10November 17, 2020 9:35 PM

On what planet would anyone be shocked about this coming from a Mormon?

by Anonymousreply 11November 17, 2020 9:35 PM

Not all Mormons spend their free time being hateful.

by Anonymousreply 12November 17, 2020 9:37 PM

R12, they didn't even accept black people until the 70s. They do absolutely look down on other groups.

by Anonymousreply 13November 17, 2020 9:40 PM

If you said it, you meant it, you fugly washed up bitch. Don't be a pussy now and backtrack, now that you're caught! Or are you only a manly man with a gun in your hand or behind a computer screen on (lol) Pintrest?

by Anonymousreply 14November 17, 2020 9:47 PM

I see that most of their output has been self released, except for a Christmas album in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 15November 17, 2020 9:49 PM

Pinterest?

by Anonymousreply 16November 17, 2020 9:54 PM

Wow! I always liked Hanson for being legitimately talented group. But man these guys are dumb as rocks. In 2020 alone, they have managed to alienate a majority of their fans who have been supporting them for decades.

But at the same time, what do people expect? They were homeschooled white boys from Bible Belt Oklahoma from a big Evangelical family and they never left the South for a more liberal/secular place like LA/NYC which would have opened their minds up. But it's kinda hypocritical of them as some fans pointed out. Hanson should be more vocal of Black American causes and rights because they were heavily influenced by blues, soul and Motown artists. Other rock bands including those from red Southern states have been vocal on these social issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 17, 2020 9:58 PM

R17 to answer that headline, even without them being assholes, they haven't been relevant since Dawson had a creek.

by Anonymousreply 18November 17, 2020 10:03 PM

[Quote] they never left the South for a more liberal/secular place like LA/NYC which would have opened their minds up.

I don't buy that. How often have they toured the world?

by Anonymousreply 19November 17, 2020 10:04 PM

[quote] but it doesn’t reflect my views.

Their views are that this might hurt them financially. Conservative religious Christian nutjobs love their dollars more than their Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 20November 17, 2020 10:08 PM

I find Zac aesthetically pleasing and attractive but he's dumb as fuck and it's clear he's spoiled and immature. It's that stupid Evangelical culture that allows for "boys to be boys" and not be emotionally mature and socially responsible men. The Hansons tour and make money sure but are just oversized boys who still get to party, shoot guns and sleep around. While their stepford wives stay at home barefoot and pregnant raising and homeschooling their kids. It's misogynistic really

by Anonymousreply 21November 17, 2020 10:10 PM

“He first tried to explain it away as a joke saying “Maybe it’s in bad taste, a lot of comedy is.””

MMMPlop!

by Anonymousreply 22November 17, 2020 10:22 PM

I know Christians who have "toured" the world doing missionary work and that never made them more open-minded to different views. Traveling for work or school doesn't automatically make you more liberal or tolerant. The guys from Hanson did travel as kids but mostly stayed in Tulsa when they weren't touring and all of them got married relatively early. Their father is a wealthy accountant for an oil company. They don't seem like particularly hateful and seem to get along with everyone. But they are still most likely Republican and complacent with the ways things are which will justifiably make a lot of their fanbase who are LGBT or a racial minority upset. Hanson doesn't even seem to get why people are so mad with them which goes to show no matter how much you travel and tour, if you don't leave your comfort zone, you are still a sheltered uneducated idiot.

by Anonymousreply 23November 17, 2020 10:23 PM

I wonder if the Taylor Hanson Troll is affected by this?

by Anonymousreply 24November 17, 2020 10:24 PM

It's absolutely hateful to work against social distancing. It shows a complete disregard not just for COVID-19 victims but the healthcare workforce.

by Anonymousreply 25November 17, 2020 10:25 PM

Taylor was Shawn Mendes of the early 2000s it seems with all the gay rumor threads on DL

by Anonymousreply 26November 17, 2020 10:26 PM

I still can't figure out which one is which.

by Anonymousreply 27November 17, 2020 10:28 PM

[Quote] Taylor was Shawn Mendes of the early 2000s

Mendes pings from space. Taylor had girlish looks. Hardly the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 28November 17, 2020 10:29 PM

R27, I can only tell them apart when they’re naked.

by Anonymousreply 29November 17, 2020 10:29 PM

Looks like he had his nose thinned and ears pinned back since he was a child. Hmmm.

by Anonymousreply 30November 17, 2020 10:33 PM

Taylor absolutely does have a gay vibe to him and not just because he's pretty and was a soft voice. I remember the rumors between him and Ben Jelen and Alex Greenwald. He seems the least religious and Republican of his siblings too though being silent is just as bad as he's an enabler.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 17, 2020 10:35 PM

^ Fuck that Silence-Is-Violence shit.

Not issuing statements is in no way equal to posting hateful shit and conspiracy theories.

I agree with the poster upthread: he should just own it. He’s now middle-aged at 35. He can’t chalk it up to foolish youth. He’s got four kids of his own.

by Anonymousreply 32November 17, 2020 10:41 PM

R32 I think silence can be damaging when you have your siblings posting dumb shit and potentially ruining the reputation of the band that you worked hard to maintain. Since Taylor is the face of Hanson and all it isn't a good look. So his silence is violence to the band and their reputation.

by Anonymousreply 33November 17, 2020 10:55 PM

Does he have “an” Onlyfans?

by Anonymousreply 34November 17, 2020 11:00 PM

Damn Vice wrote a whole expose on them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 18, 2020 11:04 AM

He sounds like one of our trolls.

by Anonymousreply 36November 18, 2020 11:07 AM

R36 I think he may be one of our trolls. Literally the only things I have ever heard about any Hanson since their nonsense song 25 years ago have been posts by someone on DL talking about how hot one of them has grown up to be. It's probably one of them or a publicist trying to sell records to gullible gays.

by Anonymousreply 37November 18, 2020 11:34 AM

Haha. All you queens lusting over these guys must be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 38November 18, 2020 1:00 PM

That's a huge article for such an itty, bitty fading band.

by Anonymousreply 39November 18, 2020 1:08 PM

All you queens = one or two trolls at most.

by Anonymousreply 40November 18, 2020 5:32 PM

I wonder if they'll get bold and start complaining about the liberal media and "Hollyweird."

by Anonymousreply 41November 18, 2020 5:33 PM

[Quote] They went from being the princes of pop to the kings of being tone deaf

Even when Mmmbop was big, they were never consistent enough to be called princes of pop.

by Anonymousreply 42November 18, 2020 5:36 PM

[Quote] "It's a joke," he wrote in defense of one meme that showed a man being consoled by a woman with the caption, "I told her guns make me feel uncomfortable. She said we should both see other men."

[Quote] "Maybe it's in bad taste, a lot of comedy is," Zac continued to the fan. "Yes she's putting him down, cause she's hard core [sic]. It's the woman that 'gun guys' daydream about."

Jesus Fucking Christ.

by Anonymousreply 43November 18, 2020 5:38 PM

[Quote] In an emailed statement to VICE, Zac wrote, "The leaked Pinterest page provided a distorted view of the issues surrounding race and social justice, which do not reflect my personal beliefs. I apologize for the hurt my actions caused."

Are Pinterest pages not for everyone to view, i.e. "on public"?

by Anonymousreply 44November 18, 2020 5:40 PM

[quote] Even when Mmmbop was big, they were never consistent enough to be called princes of pop.

I’ve never heard a single one of their other songs.

by Anonymousreply 45November 18, 2020 6:27 PM

How can a Pinterest account be “leaked”?? He used a pseudonym.

by Anonymousreply 46November 18, 2020 6:44 PM

I didn’t know straight men used Pinterest at all. Is he the first?

by Anonymousreply 47November 18, 2020 6:59 PM

No. Mick Lovell of Bel Ami had one as well.

by Anonymousreply 48November 18, 2020 7:00 PM

You can be proudly Anti American but you'll get cancelled for merely not saying the words Black Lives Matter. What a time to be alive.

by Anonymousreply 49November 18, 2020 7:11 PM

Who's cancelled, hon?

by Anonymousreply 50November 18, 2020 7:13 PM

R49 Dude, the guy has shared memes championing George Zimmerman for killing Trayvon Martin. What is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 51November 18, 2020 7:34 PM

Trolls be trollin', r51.

by Anonymousreply 52November 18, 2020 7:36 PM

And can we see some of these racist, transphobic and homophobic memes or should we just judge by hearsay.. from... "queerty“?

by Anonymousreply 53November 18, 2020 7:41 PM

One is referenced at r43, r53.

by Anonymousreply 54November 18, 2020 7:43 PM

Thanks r54. I don’t get it...

by Anonymousreply 55November 18, 2020 7:47 PM

You don't understand the following:

[Quote] "I told her guns make me feel uncomfortable. She said we should both see other men."

by Anonymousreply 56November 18, 2020 7:52 PM

What's Hanson?

by Anonymousreply 57November 18, 2020 8:25 PM

R56 guns as in biceps? Still doesn’t make sense to me. If male muscles make him uncomfortable why does the woman make a gay reference?

by Anonymousreply 58November 18, 2020 8:51 PM

Is he the one who's a covidiot, claiming that COVID is a ploy to cancel Christas or some such nonsense?

by Anonymousreply 59November 18, 2020 8:52 PM

Yes, that's Zac.

by Anonymousreply 60November 18, 2020 8:53 PM

Zac thinks homosexuality is a choice in an interview with Advocate.

[quote] My feeling toward gays is always just... everybody chooses. People's sexuality and how they live their lives-they have to decide, and it's not for me to tell them or not to. I don't walk to the marching orders or anything like that.

He is a moron. But he admitted though that he and Taylor are aware of all the gay incest fanfics about Hanson and he called Taylor a "good-looking pretty boy". Not just fangirls writing this too, Nifty has a bunch of stories involving Hanson in their celebrity category that date back to the late 90s when they were all still underage LOL.

Fun fact: Hanson worked with Gus Van Sant for the "Weird" music video which Zac praises Gus's talent and knowledge of guitar. I imagine Gus had a crush on Taylor since he looked a bit like River Phoenix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61November 18, 2020 8:55 PM

R13 says "they didn't accept blacks" until the 1970s, when about 75% of Mormons were boring after that.

I don't defend this cult, but remember that being excluded, as we gays are, by such a self-deluded, narrow, fabulist, shallow, materialistic, lost tribe of gullible and indoctrinated cases is rather win-win. Unless you're a rationalist trying to live in Utah or other cult environs.

Even the Mormons I know loathe it, as they are dependent on and trapped in it.

by Anonymousreply 62November 18, 2020 9:00 PM

They were boring before, dear.

by Anonymousreply 63November 18, 2020 9:02 PM

Just a heads up that I just fucked this dude in the ass and then blew him, but it does not reflect my personal beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 64November 18, 2020 9:10 PM

You couldn't make him cum from fucking him?

by Anonymousreply 65November 18, 2020 9:15 PM

Always be weary of these "mild, soft spoken" bible beaters.

by Anonymousreply 66November 18, 2020 9:24 PM

[quote] "I told her guns make me feel uncomfortable. She said we should both see other men."

The joke is bad for attempting to associate unmanliness with being gay. The connection between being uncomfortable with guns and being unmanly should have been made in a different way.

by Anonymousreply 67November 18, 2020 10:36 PM

[Quote] The connection between being uncomfortable with guns and being unmanly should have been made in a different way.

Or not made at all as it is stupid as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 68November 18, 2020 10:49 PM

Branson, Missouri ahoy!

by Anonymousreply 69November 18, 2020 10:59 PM

Hit too close to home?

by Anonymousreply 70November 18, 2020 10:59 PM

R67 ahhh I get the joke now. It was so not based in reality and so unfunny that I just couldn’t understand it at all.

by Anonymousreply 71November 18, 2020 11:48 PM

Are you on the spectrum, r71?

by Anonymousreply 72November 18, 2020 11:50 PM

R72 No. I just did not connect being uncomfortable with guns with anything gay. My first instinct was to think about biceps "guns“.. which made even less sense.

Maybe because I’m not American, so I’m not used to the cultural belittling of homosexuality rampant in America..

by Anonymousreply 73November 18, 2020 11:53 PM

You're from Lesbos?

by Anonymousreply 74November 18, 2020 11:56 PM

R74 no.. was that a joke?

by Anonymousreply 75November 19, 2020 12:01 AM

[Quote] no..

Paradise Island?

by Anonymousreply 76November 19, 2020 12:04 AM

R76 I don’t know what you are insinuating...

Lesbos is the place of origin of a myrh related to lesbians and also where all the migrants/refugees are stranded in camps in Greece.

by Anonymousreply 77November 19, 2020 12:08 AM

You're from somewhere free of misogyny as it relates to homophobia, no?

by Anonymousreply 78November 19, 2020 12:22 AM

[quote] I just did not connect being uncomfortable with guns with anything gay.

Nor should you. The connection between being a man who is uncomfortable with guns and being unmanly should have been done in a way that didn’t imply that gay men are unmanly.

by Anonymousreply 79November 19, 2020 4:32 PM

[Quote] The connection between being a man who is uncomfortable with guns and being unmanly should have been done in a way that didn’t imply that gay men are unmanly.

It shouldn't have been done at all. And a key part of the joke is that (good) women also like guns. A "good" woman is by definition unmanly.

by Anonymousreply 80November 19, 2020 6:19 PM

The joke doesn’t indicate anything good or bad about women, but it does presuppose that women prefer manly men.

by Anonymousreply 81November 19, 2020 7:36 PM

Given that Taylor is [italic]Hanson[/italic]. He's the face, the voice and the songwriter. He was always the charismatic one too. He could easily go solo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82November 20, 2020 1:40 AM

[Quote] it does presuppose that women prefer manly men.

Which makes them "good" women.

by Anonymousreply 83November 20, 2020 3:20 AM

Funny thing is Zac is not masculine in any way. He is a nerdy boy with a fem voice just like Taylor is. Liking guns doesn't make you manly. I know a few women who shoot guns. I think Zac just has issues with his manhood because he's part of a group that faced a lot of homophobic insults back in the late 90s due to their look and sound when he was a child.

by Anonymousreply 84November 20, 2020 8:54 AM

Doubtful. Most gun nuts weren't in a childhood boy band.

by Anonymousreply 85November 20, 2020 8:55 AM

R84 which is exactly why he (and other weak men) need external props and gimmicks and words to showcase "masculinity“, making a parody of themselves and masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 86November 20, 2020 11:36 AM

[quote] Funny thing is Zac is not masculine in any way.

Yes, thus trying to appear more manly by way of comparison to men uncomfortable with guns.

by Anonymousreply 87November 20, 2020 4:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!