Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Here Comes The Pain Again: Annie Lennox's Christmas Cornucopia 10th Anniversary Edition

Street date is 11/20/20 featuring the previously unreleased Dido's Lament. I'm sure it's as upbeat and catchy as Jingle Bell Rock!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 20, 2020 12:12 PM

i love it! lol

by Anonymousreply 1October 6, 2020 7:57 PM

Horrendous. Almost as bad a Aimee Mann's Christmas album.

by Anonymousreply 2October 6, 2020 8:00 PM

I'll have a Blue Christmas with you.

by Anonymousreply 3October 6, 2020 8:00 PM

The perfect present for someone you really dislike.

by Anonymousreply 4October 6, 2020 8:03 PM

What R3 said. Annie Lennox is fabulous, but Jesus this Christmas album was torture. My bf at the time made me stop playing the CD because it was upsetting the dogs.

by Anonymousreply 5October 6, 2020 8:05 PM

I didn't know Dido's Lament was a Christmas song.

by Anonymousreply 6October 6, 2020 8:07 PM

Her version of The First Noel makes me want to become a Jehovah's witness.

Carrie Underwood's version is divine. Annie's is not.

And to think Annie did a truly lovely Christmassy song that hardly ever gets included on Christmas compilations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 6, 2020 8:08 PM

Love love LOVE Annie Lennox. Put A Little Love In Your Heart and Winter Wonderland were amazing. When I first heard she was releasing a Christmas album I was so happy and hoped it would be in the same style. After listening to it, I was curled up in the fetal position with a Prozac IV.

by Anonymousreply 8October 6, 2020 8:51 PM

If you have to sum up 2020 with a Christmas album, this is it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 6, 2020 8:54 PM

This warranted a 10th anniversary edition?

by Anonymousreply 10October 6, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote]The perfect present for someone you really dislike.

I have fifteen ready to be delivered to the White House as I type.

by Anonymousreply 11October 6, 2020 9:03 PM

R10, you're not excited about my lament?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 12October 6, 2020 9:07 PM

Love the cover, it's so humorous. Can't stand songs about Christmas for the most part, unless it's Vince Guaraldi Trio or the Rat Pack boozin it up. Even then, I skip the songs about baby Jesus, yuk.

by Anonymousreply 13October 6, 2020 9:15 PM

[quote]I have fifteen ready to be delivered to the White House as I type.

Did you keep the receipts?

by Anonymousreply 14October 6, 2020 9:16 PM

I wonder if they had a listening party for this? Everyone must have left drunk and crying.

by Anonymousreply 15October 7, 2020 12:17 AM

Dido's Lament was released yesterday. Jesus H. Christ, what a depressing song. This year's Christmas is already going to be ruined by 'Rona but Miss Lennox decided to make things even worse by re-releasing this awful album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 11, 2020 3:45 AM

how bout some fun lively sassy tunes annie......in this time of such grief and strife.....????

by Anonymousreply 17November 11, 2020 5:02 AM

When she announced she was recording a Christmas album, I was hoping it was going to be more like this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 11, 2020 12:38 PM

Corn u what? When did Annie eat corn?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19November 11, 2020 12:42 PM

Cornucopia. Did it have a practical everyday use or was I purely for art and decoration?

by Anonymousreply 20November 11, 2020 1:12 PM

Her Dido's Lament is quite an interesting take on the lovely Purcell aria. However, it has as much to do with Christmas as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre does.

by Anonymousreply 21November 11, 2020 4:02 PM

Oh god I just listened to it.

I understand what style she was doing but sorry just too old and too yodely for the entire affair.

This album could have been done by some young art rock lassie and with a lighter touch.

by Anonymousreply 22November 11, 2020 4:07 PM

LOL R21!

by Anonymousreply 23November 11, 2020 7:31 PM

The chick from Roxette must be rolling over in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 24November 11, 2020 7:32 PM

The absolute worst Christmas album ever.

by Anonymousreply 25November 11, 2020 7:34 PM

British people always vote the worst songs of all time as their favorite Christmas song, so I’m not surprised this collection of horse cuntery has reared its ugly head again

by Anonymousreply 26November 11, 2020 8:25 PM

Two more hours and the album will officially turn 10! Unfortunately Christmas Cornucopia is the exact opposite of a fine aging wine - it just seems to sound worse with each passing year. I like that Annie didn't go the down the usual commercial holiday music route (you know, just throwing some sleigh bell sounds onto a song and calling it Christmas music) but something went horribly wrong during the production and they must have totally forgotten that they were making an album with Xmas music along the way.

You can make an album that avoids the usual cheese but still sounds Christmas-y (a good example of such an album would be the Christmas album by Arab goddess Fairuz, which was absolutely terrific) but this humorless Scottish cunt obviously isn't capable of doing that. And as Dido's Lament has just shown us, her idea of Christmas music has gotten even more twisted in the last decade.

Now I have to listen to some Fairuz, to get this gigantic horse cunt out of my head. This is how you do a Xmas song that sounds both haunting and cozy at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27November 11, 2020 9:12 PM

This lovely British Jewish girl managed a perky Christmas song, why couldn't Annie?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28November 11, 2020 9:42 PM

My friends and I would put "The Holly and the Ivy" on repeat and laugh our heads off. She was pretty much yelling the entire song.

by Anonymousreply 29November 11, 2020 9:42 PM

More joyous threads like this. I need to air out my mind from 4 years of....

by Anonymousreply 30November 11, 2020 9:49 PM

^ Oops, the holly BEARS the crown...

by Anonymousreply 31November 11, 2020 9:49 PM

Big Ben has just struck 12 (actually it hasn't, because it's currently under repair, but let's pretend it did) so A Christmas Cornucopia is now officially a decade old. Oh boy, time sure flies fast. It seems like only yesterday that Miss Lennox ruined the 2010 Holiday Season for DLers with the release of her holiday album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 11, 2020 11:15 PM

Nothing gets me in the mood to deck the halls and bake sugar cookies quite like "Dido's Lament!"

by Anonymousreply 33November 12, 2020 4:45 PM

Best thread title ever, OP! So something good came out of that turd of an album.

by Anonymousreply 34November 12, 2020 6:04 PM

Thank you, R34!

by Anonymousreply 35November 12, 2020 7:28 PM

"I Saw Mommy Killing Santa Claus"

by Anonymousreply 36November 12, 2020 7:32 PM

This is an example of an unusual, somewhat artsy Christmas album done right.

Highly recommended if you're looking to get away from the kitsch, without wanting to slash your wrists.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37November 12, 2020 8:06 PM

Do we know WHY Annie thinks “When I Am Laid in Earth” is Christmas music?

by Anonymousreply 38November 12, 2020 9:34 PM

Probably for the same reason that EVERYBODY seems to think Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is a Christmas song r38.

by Anonymousreply 39November 12, 2020 9:37 PM

R32 Sounds like a riot, sorry I missed it. I only arrived on DL in 2011-12, so I didn’t catch the original reaction to this drop.

by Anonymousreply 40November 12, 2020 9:52 PM

R40 The original thread is still up. Some really hilarious comments in there (including the best ever R1):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 13, 2020 8:27 AM

Sweet Dreams Aren't Made of This

by Anonymousreply 42November 14, 2020 9:23 AM

There Must Be an Angel (Of Death)

by Anonymousreply 43November 15, 2020 6:29 AM

I love Annie, but it seems after Diva she lost the majority of her creativity.

She has become so joyless and humourless.

by Anonymousreply 44November 15, 2020 6:34 AM

I hated her Lord of the Rings song.

by Anonymousreply 45November 15, 2020 6:42 AM

Reeeeeeeeeeeear 🐈

by Anonymousreply 46November 15, 2020 6:44 AM

Annie turning into a cunt coincides with her having kids. Wasn't her daughter fished out of the Hudson dead drunk a few years ago? I'd be a humorless cunt too if I had problematic spawn like that.

by Anonymousreply 47November 15, 2020 6:45 AM

You think her Christmas album is depressing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 15, 2020 12:46 PM

You demand the farting synthesizers of “Sweet Dreams” for nearly 40 years and wonder why you get an occasional backhand to the face.

If you grew up in a dysfunctionally close family, this album is the Christmas dinner hosted by your sober cousin Ruth for perhaps-not-sober people. You’re not sure what’s wrong, but you can’t wait to leave.

She put out a very good instrumental piece I won’t look up and she helps women in Africa so throw her some money somehow.

by Anonymousreply 49November 15, 2020 1:16 PM

Hi Annie/r49!

by Anonymousreply 50November 15, 2020 1:50 PM

I just realized that Miss Lennox was actually born on Christmas day (in 1954)! Maybe that's why she subconsciously hates the holiday and decided to ruin it for the rest of us as well with this album. I mean, being born on Xmas day is every child's greatest nightmare because that usually means only one joint present for both Xmas and b-day. I hope she decides to see a therapist in the future instead of releasing even more new depressing Christmas music.

by Anonymousreply 51November 16, 2020 6:23 AM

It’s physically impossible for me to hate her, even knowing how this album sounds.

The lifetime gay pass can’t be revoked, unless for the most heinous of crimes. A morbid Xmas album is not grounds enough.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52November 16, 2020 8:56 AM

Only one more day and the 20th anniversary edition is going to be officially released! Don't forget to order it as a Xmas present for all the people in your life you can't stand.

by Anonymousreply 53November 19, 2020 12:24 AM

I hate her Lord of the Rings song! The Enya "May it be" song, whilst only interesting for the first 60 seconds, was far superior to Annie's gnashing of the teeth and bleating like sheep headed towards sudden death performance. I saw it live at the Oscars and was scarred for life!

by Anonymousreply 54November 19, 2020 12:31 AM

I wish she would've channeled the fierceness she put into this performance when recording the Christmas album.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55November 19, 2020 12:36 AM

R54, you’ve shared enough to buy me good shoes.

by Anonymousreply 56November 19, 2020 12:13 PM

I grew up with Annie and still love her. But after following her on Twitter for a while now realize she takes herself way, way, WAYYYY too seriously. I have the impression she sees herself as a musical genius. Her daughters are very much the same and they tend to sit around the house a lot, with a boyfriend of one of the daughters, "making art" with songs that Annie or the girls constantly record for Annie to post to the Internet.

She's very preachy, always telling us what's wrong with America and how Americans are so inherently flawed and such, (She's Brit by the way and like all of them, has never obtained United States citizenship but is somehow able to live here for decades and decades and engrain herself into the American conversation. Meanwhile, Mexican people drown and die every day just wanting to come here and work.)

And yes, she's very maudlin and doesn't seem to find any humor in life, especially in herself. Annie's no doubt a high-maintenance mess!

by Anonymousreply 57November 19, 2020 12:45 PM

R57 = Shioban Fahey

by Anonymousreply 58November 19, 2020 1:51 PM

R6, I didn't either, the video is actually pretty good, but it is a very odd choice nonetheless

by Anonymousreply 59November 19, 2020 1:53 PM

I can't get this out of my mind

by Anonymousreply 60November 22, 2020 1:52 PM

Annie was on the BBC's main political show this morning performing a live piano version of The Holly And The Ivy from her horribly decorated LA home.

It was very kind of her to offer herself to the nation at this time of great anxiety and take people's minds off ruined Christmasses and tens of thousand of deaths over the last year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 20, 2020 9:49 AM

Once a gigantic horse cunt, always a gigantic horse cunt!

by Anonymousreply 62December 20, 2020 10:36 AM

Always R62!

by Anonymousreply 63December 20, 2020 12:06 PM

"Dido's Lament" is quite something. Stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 20, 2020 12:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!