Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Drug money launderers near you

I’ve been watching Breaking Bad and Ozark and learning about cartels and also the college educated businessmen who launder their money. It’s a complicated process and the intent is to pay taxes on the money to legitimize it, so I don’t see how this practice is so lucrative. Anyway, does this go on in your neck of the woods and, if so, how? Please list your city or state too.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2020 10:17 PM

Wow the cops are sure getting lazy in the BLM era if they have to come to the DL to locate money laundering operations

by Anonymousreply 1September 16, 2020 10:42 PM

It doesn’t really exist in the USA does it? I think it’s a fiction of the tv and film industry. It makes no sense to have brick and mortar fake businesses in the USA when the funds can be moved internationally, electronically.

by Anonymousreply 2September 17, 2020 4:09 PM

[quote]It doesn’t really exist in the USA does it?

Oh honey.

by Anonymousreply 3September 17, 2020 4:11 PM

I live near Trump Tower Chicago, so the answer is yes.

by Anonymousreply 4September 17, 2020 4:13 PM

[quote]It makes no sense to have brick and mortar fake businesses in the USA when the funds can be moved internationally, electronically.

Drug traffickers deal in cash, which is difficult and hazardous to move out of the country in large volumes. So it gets laundered here.

by Anonymousreply 5September 17, 2020 4:16 PM

It seems like every town has a restaurant or bar that does very little business yet remains open. The scuttlebutt is always that they are fronts for the mob or other criminal enterprises. I guess they are perfect for money laundering because it's pretty easy to say you served 100 customers (paying in cash) when in reality there were only 10.

We had an interesting thread devoted to front businesses a while ago, maybe you can find it.

by Anonymousreply 6September 17, 2020 5:46 PM

When I sold my apartment in the city I had an Asian woman -- she looked Chinese — ask me to wait a few days because she was buying with cash & had to get her money out of South Africa.

I said no.

It was $850k

by Anonymousreply 7September 17, 2020 6:16 PM

A barber shop near me was shutdown when it was found to be a money laundering place. (pre-covid)

by Anonymousreply 8September 17, 2020 11:56 PM

R7, why did you reject the deal? Do you think she was exploiting South Africa or cleaning money somehow? Was she a professional, meaning did she have a regular career?

by Anonymousreply 9September 18, 2020 2:14 AM

You're a fucking Moron R9- let's put it this way, these are EXACTLY the same kind of Cash-Real Estate transactions Trump carries out with Russian Oligarchs when they buy one of his Florida properties for " Investment".

by Anonymousreply 10September 18, 2020 2:40 AM

I guess I am a moron because I don't understand why a Chinese person would be involved in drug money laundering. The Chinese government executes drug dealers and their ilk almost immediately after arrest. I was thinking maybe the Chinese buyer was dealing in unethical diamonds or whatever in SA.

by Anonymousreply 11September 18, 2020 2:55 AM

[quote] I don't understand why a Chinese person would be involved in drug money laundering.

Drug money isn't the only kind that needs to be laundered. There's all kinds of dirty shit going on making people rich.

by Anonymousreply 12September 18, 2020 3:47 AM

The Front Businesses thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13September 18, 2020 6:11 AM

Thank you, R6/13.

by Anonymousreply 14September 18, 2020 9:09 PM

[quote] why did you reject the deal

I didn’t sell to her because I sold it the next day. I had 50 people come to the open house that weekend and everyone wanted to buy it. I wasn’t about to wait for her to get $850k out of South Africa.

by Anonymousreply 15September 18, 2020 10:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!