Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre Gossip #402 - The "Spreading The Love" Edition

Well, at least spreading love for our wonderful NT Live poster, who has helped get a lot of us through these troubled times.

Warm fuzzy moment over. Resume the snark.

by Anonymousreply 600September 29, 2020 12:21 PM

The previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2020 8:29 PM

Martine and Savion 1...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2020 8:35 PM

Martine and Savion 2...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 8:36 PM

Martine and Savion 2...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2020 8:36 PM

Oops...that was my fault.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2020 8:36 PM

R5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2020 10:10 PM

If the title and the first five posts are any indication, this thread is already a FLOP.

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2020 10:14 PM

I am the earth mother, and you are all FLOPS.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2020 10:38 PM

I wouldn't have had to, r7...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2020 10:54 PM

I think we should have a do-over

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2020 11:21 PM

Muriel, please nuke this thread.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2020 11:40 PM

Why is the "Theatre Thread" the only one in which posters refuse to post because they don't like the thread title? Just fucking talk about Follies.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2020 11:47 PM

Because some thread titles are abysmal, r12, and this is one of them. It bears no relation to theatre. Next time, someone please take over from this thread starter. He’s grown stale. Quite stale.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2020 11:50 PM

Now come on - OP’s heart was in the right place!

Let’s finally answer something I asked about threads ago: did anyone see Anne Sexton’s play MERCY STREET (1969) at the American Place Theater? It starred Marian Seldes and Mel Dowd.

I’m kind of fascinated by Sexton’s life. The play’s supposedly very autobiographical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2020 11:52 PM

MERCY STREET production

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2020 11:53 PM

How the play was developed, along with others by two fellow playwrights:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16September 16, 2020 12:16 AM

Gawd, so many bitchy Bettys.

by Anonymousreply 17September 16, 2020 12:16 AM

[italic]I WANNA TALK ABOUT “MERCY STREET” ! !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18September 16, 2020 12:19 AM

I've been reading Andrew Lloyd Webber's autobiography. Here's a few discussion points. (Sorry if these have been discussed before, I'm late to the party).

In the 1970s, a few dance clubs used "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" as their closing song. He doesn't say whether this was the final dance song or music played as the patrons left the club. And he doesn't say if it was just instrumental or if it was Julie Covington's original version.

London Cats 2nd Preview - “Elaine Stritch walked noisily out at the interval proclaiming Cats was a total disaster.” (This after he gave her a paycheck to do a voiceover for the Song & Dance recording).

I bet she knew that Grizabella had been written with Judi Dench in mind and she might have a chance to play it on Broadway, but upon seeing it, she realized how little Grizabella has to do in the show and left. I had always wondered how Judi Dench would play the role because she's not strong on power ballads. ALW says in the book that if she had continued in the show, he would have orchestrated it more like an Edith Piaf song.

Discussing our Miss Betty Buckley. (Keep in mind that Sondheim always hated what she did to his songs).

[quote]She seriously got it into her head that Trevor and the rest of the company were ostracizing her. The reason for Betty’s isolation was rather more mundane. Grizabella doesn’t have much to do apart from deliver her big song. Not so the rest of the cast. One serious problem appeared to be becoming intractable. The “alienated” Betty Buckley for some reason continued to sing “Memory” in every way conceivable other than give the audience the big notes. I finally pulled her aside and said "Just sing the fucking song!”

Betty replaced Bernadette Peters on Broadway in "Song & Dance." A bit of subtle shading from ALW: "I love Betty to bits but I’m not sure that she was born to play a twenty-something English girl from Muswell Hill.”

He states that Bernadette Peters had flu-like symptoms when she recorded "Song & Dance." Isn't that what they all say when the vocals don't sound so great? It's what they said about Tyne Daly's Gypsy and I think they said it about Julie Andrews on one of the "My Fair Lady" recordings.

He says that Milos Forman wanted him to play Mozart in the movie Amadeus. This is hard to believe. A composer with no acting experience is chosen to play a lead in a movie about a classical music composer, a subject which 1980s audiences may have no interest in whatsoever?

He seems to have a love/hate relationship with Tim Rice. Even with all ALW's success, he seems like a battered wife begging her abusive husband to take her back. Tim's just not that into you.

The book ends at the opening of Phantom of the Opera, but he does do a quick final chapter on his work since then. I found it interesting that he mentioned every show *except* Whistle Down The Wind. He quickly mentions: Aspects of Love, The Woman In White, Sunset Boulevard, The Beautiful Game, Love Never Dies, Stephen Ward, producing Bombay Dreams. I saw Whistle Down The Wind and I thought it was better than Love Never Dies and The Beautiful Game. He even had a hit single with Boyzone doing "No Mater What" from the show. What's up with that?

In addition, to his neediness for Tim Rice, he kind of comes off as a jerk in his marriages. He was married to his first wife, who seemed very devoted to him, then he just sort of fell in love with Sarah Brightman (who was also married). So they both divorced and married. Then he says, "There had been publicity about Sarah’s affair with the original Phantom keyboard player and, hugely fond of her as I still am, things weren’t the same for me after that." So they divorced and he remarried for a third time. It's almost like he could cheat on his wife but she wasn't allowed to do it.

All in all, he's had a very charmed life. Many doors easily opened for him and he had many amazing opportunities.

by Anonymousreply 19September 16, 2020 12:19 AM

Charles Maryan passed away a couple years ago. He was a great guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 16, 2020 12:27 AM

Interesting. I'm not a huge ALW fan but his place in musical theatre is really singular.

If his other lyricists haven't filled Tim Rice's shoes, that's ALW's own fault. The talent is out there. I think Sir Andrew is unwilling to be challenged by a good writing partner.

I think Don Black and the others are pretty terrible, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 21September 16, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote]He states that Bernadette Peters had flu-like symptoms when she recorded "Song & Dance." Isn't that what they all say when the vocals don't sound so great?

I love Bernie--really I do--but they said the same thing about the videotaped version of SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE. I heard over and over that she was unhappy with her own vocal performance "because she was getting over the flu when they recorded it."

Bernie often sounds like "the widdle girl with the code in her nose," anyway. You be the judge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22September 16, 2020 12:40 AM

I thought Bernadette sounded just fine in both things so no reason to apologize.

by Anonymousreply 23September 16, 2020 12:42 AM

[quote] He states that Bernadette Peters had flu-like symptoms when she recorded "Song & Dance." Isn't that what they all say when the vocals don't sound so great? It's what they said about Tyne Daly's Gypsy and I think they said it about Julie Andrews on one of the "My Fair Lady" recordings.

It was Julie's second version, the stereo recording from London (you can hear her sniffling during Just You Wait). Also, Mary Martin hated The Sound of Music cast recording because she was so ill and sounded it. There are a few places where she sounds almost like a contralto.

by Anonymousreply 24September 16, 2020 12:43 AM

[quote]Also, Mary Martin hated The Sound of Music cast recording

She wasn't the only one! She's a dyke, ya know?

by Anonymousreply 25September 16, 2020 12:45 AM

Yeah, I was sick when we recorded the Company record. That's why it looks like I'm drinking so much. I'm using alcohol to knock the germs out of my body.

by Anonymousreply 26September 16, 2020 12:46 AM

Cast albums were usually recorded the Sunday after opening. With the stress and pressure and adrenaline of opening, it is no surprise that their immune systems are shot by second night leaving them open to getting sick.

by Anonymousreply 27September 16, 2020 12:48 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, r22, but if memory serves - Bernadette did the SITP video taping at the same time she was doing Song & Dance. I remember hearing at the time that she was sick when she did the S&D recording. She doesn't sound nearly as good on it as she did when I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 28September 16, 2020 12:52 AM

This was posted in the Joan of Arc thread:

I remember when Helen Lawson was interviewed during the run of Joan! The Musical and was asked what it was like to play a Saint.

"Dyke, ya know. They should have offered it to Mary."

by Anonymousreply 29September 16, 2020 12:55 AM

WE SEE YOU WHITE DYKE MARY!

by Anonymousreply 30September 16, 2020 12:58 AM

Which Broadway musical cast has been told they aren't coming back?

by Anonymousreply 31September 16, 2020 12:58 AM

Are you asking, r31, or do you know?

by Anonymousreply 32September 16, 2020 1:00 AM

[quote]Which Broadway musical cast has been told they aren't coming back?

In My Life

by Anonymousreply 33September 16, 2020 1:01 AM

I know.

by Anonymousreply 34September 16, 2020 1:02 AM

I was going to joke about Joan! when I vaguely remembered that there had been at least 1 Joan of Arc musical already.

I'd completely forgotten this one existed. Any one see it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35September 16, 2020 1:03 AM

Then tell us, r31

by Anonymousreply 36September 16, 2020 1:04 AM

Oh... my.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37September 16, 2020 1:07 AM

Who, r31?

by Anonymousreply 38September 16, 2020 1:13 AM

Ann Reinking as Joan and Joel Grey as Le Dauphin in Goodtime Charley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39September 16, 2020 1:36 AM

Ann of Arc

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40September 16, 2020 1:49 AM

Would've been great stunt-casting ... Joan Van Ark IS Joan of Arc!

by Anonymousreply 41September 16, 2020 1:58 AM

Falconetti sings! Falconetti dances!

by Anonymousreply 42September 16, 2020 2:19 AM

No, r42, unfortunately not. She just...emotes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2020 2:23 AM

R31, it's MRS. DOUBTFIRE, right? (Poor, poor Rob McClure.)

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2020 2:39 AM

[quote] I'd completely forgotten this one existed. Any one see it?

YEs, and I stupidly paid full price for it. In my 33 years of theatergoing, it ranks in my top five worst shows I've ever suffered through.

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2020 3:02 AM

They said there will be Broadway performances in this year's scaled-down Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. So the question is, which shows will get to perform?

by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2020 3:19 AM

R29, that was pretty lame.

by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2020 3:24 AM

[quote]it's MRS. DOUBTFIRE, right? (Poor, poor Rob McClure.)

Rob McClure was cute in Miscast, doing Mrs. Lovett.

by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2020 3:28 AM

R31 Is it West Side Story? Or can it be, please?

Isaac Cole Powell did a truly poor performance of On My Own for Miscast. Made even worse by the fact it seemed to have been pre-recorded and he was lip-syncing.

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2020 3:29 AM

You've grown stale, r47. Quite stale.

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2020 3:38 AM

R18 Is that the Albino from THE PRINCESS BRIDE?

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2020 3:39 AM

I agree with both opinions about MISCAST, which was... a mixed bag. (I'm pledging MCC money anyway, because they do good work.)

McClure was good. Powell was not. I liked Rob Fairchild dancing around his roof, which I thought was charming. Some of the other song selections were pretty dubious.

I'm never clear what the "rules" are with these Zoom performances: don't you lose points for not singing live on camera? (It's fine if the music is prerecorded. But still.) If you are merely lip-synching, shouldn't you take the opportunity to, um, do something with the number?

by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2020 4:02 AM

I'm not confident WEST SIDE STORY, with its enormous expenses and very mixed word-of-mouth, will ever re-open/officially open.

by Anonymousreply 53September 16, 2020 4:04 AM

R53 Not to mention ongoing expenses - they're going to have to be running the rain effect all through lockdown. I imagine most shows are having to have someone go in and run the set pieces through on a regular basis (I hope so, if not there's going to be a slew of stories once lockdown is over of stage equipment failing), but I doubt many would require as much clean up afterwards as that.

by Anonymousreply 54September 16, 2020 4:11 AM

I feel confident it's not COMPANY. (Patti would have spilled the beans by now.)

by Anonymousreply 55September 16, 2020 4:28 AM

[quote]I feel confident it's not COMPANY. (Patti would have spilled the beans by now.)

That gives them plenty of time to recast Bobbie.

by Anonymousreply 56September 16, 2020 4:31 AM

I was going to post the Roxie monologue compilation someone made to illustrate why Melanie Griffith was a movie star and none of the others were, but the uploader has made the video private. What strikes me most about the Roxies shown (including Ann Reinking, Sandy Duncan, Ruthie Henshall, all the way down to Lisa Rinna) is how they're putting a character onto the monologue. Melanie Griffith just IS. None of her line readings sound rehearsed or calculated. And she gets the biggest laughs. She'd already started into the plastic surgery by the time she played Roxie, so it's not a case of her looks carrying her in the role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57September 16, 2020 5:24 AM

[Quote] I had always wondered how Judi Dench would play the role because she's not strong on power ballads. ALW says in the book that if she had continued in the show, he would have orchestrated it more like an Edith Piaf song.

I'm skeptical that Dench would ever have sung "Memory." And if ALW planned to introduce the number for Grizabella, what was the placeholder before he decided on the number for the character? What material was Dench shown to get her to sign up for the show?

by Anonymousreply 58September 16, 2020 5:34 AM

The Wiki page on Memory says this, which is rather, oh shall we say, ironic?

[quote]Andrew Lloyd Webber originally composed the tune for a proposed Giacomo Puccini project that he later abandoned. Although the tune was intentionally written in the style of Puccini, Lloyd Webber was concerned that he had unknowingly lifted it from one of Puccini's works. He asked his father, a noted expert on Puccini, for his opinion on whether it sounded like one of the composer's works; according to Lloyd Webber, his father responded: "It sounds like a million dollars!"[6] Prior to its inclusion in Cats, the composition had also been earmarked for his early draft of Sunset Boulevard.[7]

Yet another tune meant for a different show.

by Anonymousreply 59September 16, 2020 6:05 AM

Was ALW's father American?

by Anonymousreply 60September 16, 2020 6:08 AM

No. The reference on Wiki is to ALW's book, and he does have the quote as saying dollars. It's probably because, especially back then, that amount of money was looked on as something you could only make in America.

by Anonymousreply 61September 16, 2020 6:26 AM

Why didn't he ask his father about those other songs that he lifted from Puccini? Like...say, Music of the Night?

by Anonymousreply 62September 16, 2020 1:04 PM

RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 16, 2020 1:31 PM

ALW and CATS??! Bring back FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 64September 16, 2020 1:35 PM

ALW worried that he had copied Puccini for Memory? I guess he was trying to deflect from the obvious fact that the opening bars of Memory are copied from Ravel's Bolero, just slowed down.

by Anonymousreply 65September 16, 2020 1:43 PM

[quote]I'm skeptical that Dench would ever have sung "Memory." And if ALW planned to introduce the number for Grizabella, what was the placeholder before he decided on the number for the character? What material was Dench shown to get her to sign up for the show?

First remember that Cats premiered in London in May 1981. Judi Dench was a working actress, mostly stage and tv, not the star we know her as today.

The lyrics for Memory came from notes that T.S. Eliott had made but never turned into a poem. Additionally, Grizabella, the Glamour Cat was a written poem, but he didn't originally include it in the collection of poems because he thought it was too dark for children.

I can see Judi Dench singing Memory in an Edith Piaf style. It wouldn't have been the big power ballad it has become, I doubt ALW would have written in the big key changes in the song. In today's world, think of someone like Allison Janney doing it. Someone who people knew but was not a huge star, and so would play a featured role with a featured song.

Also, Cats was conceived originally as a dance piece and the London production wasn't as blown up as the Broadway production. In London, it wasn't even performed in a West End theater. The show was still evolving when they went into previews. Elaine Paige was given new lyrics in Memory during previews, so the song was still in flux.

by Anonymousreply 66September 16, 2020 3:30 PM

[Quote] First remember that Cats premiered in London in May 1981. Judi Dench was a working actress, mostly stage and tv, not the star we know her as today.

Dench was not a film star but she was way more than simply a working actress. She had already received numerous BAFTA nods. And musical theatre wasn't her main gig.

by Anonymousreply 67September 16, 2020 3:34 PM

[quote] In London, it wasn't even performed in a West End theater.

It opened at the New London Theatre, which is a West End theater. It's now the Gillian Lynne. It's recently been home to War Horse, School of Rock and ALW's upcoming Cinderella.

by Anonymousreply 68September 16, 2020 3:48 PM

"And musical theatre wasn't her main gig." She had been Sally in London's "Cabaret." There's an anecdote that I read somewhere about Trevor Nunn being blown away the first time he heard Dench singing "Memory" at an audition (and I believe it was on the stage of the "Her Majesty's"). I wish there had been some recording of that audition....sigh.

by Anonymousreply 69September 16, 2020 3:55 PM

???? "Memory" wasn't in the show but Dench sang it at an audition? And Judi Dench was not auditioning for ANY theatre gig in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 70September 16, 2020 3:58 PM

Dench also starred n The Good Companions. She was a musical theater veteran.

And she never sang Memory. The song was written after she was injured.

by Anonymousreply 71September 16, 2020 4:11 PM

Paige recalls hearing Memory on the radio before she got the call. It was an instrumental.

by Anonymousreply 72September 16, 2020 4:14 PM

ALW does seem to exclude Whistle Down The Wind for some reason, but he does mention the recording of “Cold” by the Everly Brothers for the concept album and how it was a highlight of his career (he says something like he could have retired happily after that). He also mentions begging Jim Steinman to do Phantom with him and Steinman turning him down. Since Steinman came in to advise on School of Rock, obviously they get along well. There was also a 54 Below “NYC premiere” concert of Whistle a few years ago that he allowed. The show was originally written as a movie musical for Steven Spielberg, right? But Spielberg put it on the back burner when Kubrick finally gave up on his Holocaust movie and told Spielberg to do Schindler’s List (which, obviously, he did). ALW was famously livid with Hal Prince’s handling of Whistle so maybe he is still sore about it or wanted to wait until Hal died before telling the whole story.

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2020 4:31 PM

R72, the instrumental version is called Bolero.

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2020 4:32 PM

No disrespect to Dame Judi. And I understand some people's preferences for "actors who can sing" vs singers in stage musicals...

But can you imagine sitting around and listening to a Judi Dench album? A concert evening of Judi singing, even a younger version of her?

I equate her as a singer with Tyne Daly, maybe Linda Lavin. Pass.

by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2020 4:38 PM

Doing some research, Dench was going to double Grizabella and Jennydots. Also, since the play was conceived as a ensemble piece, there was no expectation that she would carry the musical climax of the show.

by Anonymousreply 76September 16, 2020 4:40 PM

ALW had already written the vocal notes of Memory. The tune was there. Trevor Nunn was the one who was supposed to take the fragments of the Eliott poem and write the lyrics. Nunn was the head of the RSC at the time and he was having to juggle priorities so he was very late in completing the song.

by Anonymousreply 77September 16, 2020 4:42 PM

Did Judi want out to do her sitcom, which premiered in November 1981? The injury (or "injury") allowed her a graceful exit.

by Anonymousreply 78September 16, 2020 4:44 PM

r78 - No.

by Anonymousreply 79September 16, 2020 4:45 PM

[quote]It opened at the New London Theatre, which is a West End theater.

Sorry about that, you are correct. I was thinking because it was outside the Shaftesbury Ave/Covent Garden corridor that it wasn't considered a West End theater. Is that area considered Holborn?

by Anonymousreply 80September 16, 2020 4:46 PM

It was not certain that Trevor Nunn was going to write the lyrics. Don Black also wrote a set and Paige sang both before the decision to go with Nunn's was finally made.

That first production sounds like a shit-show.

by Anonymousreply 81September 16, 2020 4:46 PM

How did Judi's shitty Britcom run so much longer than my shitty Britcom?

I mean, seriously--try sitting through that thing. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 82September 16, 2020 4:46 PM

Judi Dench gave one of my all-time favorite musical theatre performances in ALNM at the National. But then Desiree's singing voice doesn’t generally make or break the show.

I remember hearing that when she did Cabaret, there was an actual sign in the lobby that said something like, "Ms. Dench does not have a cold tonight. This is how her voice sounds."

by Anonymousreply 83September 16, 2020 4:47 PM

I had multiple shitty britcoms, Lainey!

by Anonymousreply 84September 16, 2020 4:49 PM

[quote]Did Judi want out to do her sitcom, which premiered in November 1981? The injury (or "injury") allowed her a graceful exit.

No. Cats premiered in May. I assume she would only sign a six month contract, so there would have only been a few weeks overlap where she rehearsed the sitcom during the day and performed Cats at night. And Grizabella is not a taxing role (Dench would be singing Piaf, think a French ballad accompanied by an accordion). I think they would have come to their senses, as they did, and have another actress perform Jenny Anydots, because that is a big dance sequence. ALW says in the book that they should have had a tap expert come from NYC to choreograph that number, because the Brits aren't noted for being dancers.

by Anonymousreply 85September 16, 2020 4:55 PM

[quote]Judi Dench gave one of my all-time favorite musical theatre performances in ALNM at the National.

I didn't like her angry take on the song. "Don't bother, they're here" came off as "Oh, go fuck yourself" and I like to think that Desiree is more sad/melancholy over how things turned out rather than outright angry.

by Anonymousreply 86September 16, 2020 4:58 PM

I prefer Follies. As a musical and as a topic of conversation.

by Anonymousreply 87September 16, 2020 4:59 PM

And yours is the better choice, R86.

by Anonymousreply 88September 16, 2020 5:02 PM

Not to Sondheim. He likes the simmering anger.

by Anonymousreply 89September 16, 2020 5:05 PM

I thought the anger was a fine and revelatory choice.

by Anonymousreply 90September 16, 2020 5:07 PM

R86, go find Bernadette doing it in the show on YouTube. THAT'S how that song should be done.

by Anonymousreply 91September 16, 2020 5:20 PM

Glynis Johns' version has quite a bit of anger as well. Sondheim does not like renditions to play for tears. He'd probably hate Ruthie Henshall's TV performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92September 16, 2020 5:20 PM

[quote]And yours is the better choice, [R86].

Yes. Yes, it is.

The show is written in 3/4 time. You can't be angry in 3/4 time.

by Anonymousreply 93September 16, 2020 5:32 PM

So...how did the camera feel about Barbara?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 16, 2020 5:35 PM

Watch her Hitchock Presents and you have your answer.

by Anonymousreply 95September 16, 2020 5:37 PM

[quote] The show is written in 3/4 time.

Much or most of the score is in some form of triple meter but it's a gross over exaggeration to say the whole thing is in 3/4 time.

[quote]You can't be angry in 3/4 time.

"Let me get my hat and my knife!"

by Anonymousreply 96September 16, 2020 5:45 PM

"Mean Girls" is not coming back.

by Anonymousreply 97September 16, 2020 5:50 PM

Kudos to the costume and dog designer on that National Theatre ALNM. They made Dame Judi look at least 6 foot tall on that stage. When we met her afterwards, I couldn't believe this tiny older woman had just given that magnificent performance.

by Anonymousreply 98September 16, 2020 6:01 PM

Sorry, WIG, not DOG.

by Anonymousreply 99September 16, 2020 6:01 PM

I also saw the NT ALNM and Dench was pretty wonderful during the "You must meet my wife." They should re-release the album.

by Anonymousreply 100September 16, 2020 6:03 PM

The end of SEND IN THE CLOWNS should be angry and bitter!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 101September 16, 2020 6:03 PM

[quote]So...how did the camera feel about Barbara?

That style and shade of hair did her no favors.

by Anonymousreply 102September 16, 2020 6:19 PM

Many shows won’t be coming back. It’s not just one.

by Anonymousreply 103September 16, 2020 7:13 PM

Trevor Nunn made casting Dench as Grizabella a condition of him agreeing to direct, so I doubt she ever auditioned for the role.

by Anonymousreply 104September 16, 2020 8:41 PM

[quote]I doubt ALW would have written in the big key changes in the song (MEMORY).

What key changes? There are few, difficult jumps in notes (TOUCH ME), but I don't think there's a key change. It was later (especially Sunset Boooolevard) that ALW added key changes during a number, so that the star/singer could hit the money notes.

by Anonymousreply 105September 16, 2020 8:46 PM

Peter Pan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106September 16, 2020 9:23 PM

What a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 107September 16, 2020 9:25 PM

Monster In A Box.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108September 16, 2020 9:25 PM

Repeat Attenders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109September 16, 2020 9:26 PM

Is there a bootleg of Jerome Robbins Broadway on YT? I think it was filmed for Japan TV.

by Anonymousreply 110September 16, 2020 9:32 PM

R81 I’ve always read that it was Tim Rice (then Elaine’s boyfriend) who wrote the alternate lyrics to Memory, not Don Black. Trevor Nunn opted to go with his own lyrics instead of Rice’s. Which pissed off Rice big time.

by Anonymousreply 111September 16, 2020 9:33 PM

R82, Elaine yours had 29 episodes and Judi's only had 26.

by Anonymousreply 112September 16, 2020 9:46 PM

[quote]Tim Rice (then Elaine’s boyfriend)

Tim wasn't Elaine's boyfriend. Tim was married. Elaine was his bit on the side.

Fun fact: Tim and his first wife, Jane Artereta, never finalized their divorce so she still holds the title Lady Rice.

by Anonymousreply 113September 16, 2020 9:47 PM

Rice’s “Memory” lyrics are kind of lame and don’t evoke Eliot. He should stay in his wheelhouse (where he can be rather good). That said, I’d love to hear Elaine sing the alternate lyrics again just to hear how she interprets them (they were done live for a few performances).

by Anonymousreply 114September 16, 2020 9:48 PM

ALW is a Lord, not Tim Rice. Rice is Sir, so wouldn’t his wife then be Dame? Where’s Lady Colin Campbell when you need her!

by Anonymousreply 115September 16, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote]so she still holds the title Lady Rice.

Would that go well as a side with Lady Ham?

by Anonymousreply 116September 16, 2020 9:56 PM

[quote]Rice is Sir, so wouldn’t his wife then be Dame?

I think Dame is only used when the woman has been knighted.

by Anonymousreply 117September 16, 2020 9:58 PM

[quote] You can't be angry in 3/4 time.

Just wait a goddamn minute!

by Anonymousreply 118September 16, 2020 10:13 PM

"No, I'd strike her first!"

by Anonymousreply 119September 16, 2020 10:20 PM

R111 Both Black and Rice wrote a version. And then Nunn chose his own and watched the royalties pour in.

R115 The wife of a knight (Sir) can use the title Lady with her surname - so Sir Tim and his wife Lady Rice. Of course this is then confusing, as female members of the House of Lords are also known as Lady followed by their surname. But there's little the English aristocracy like better than those little drops of confusion over arcane things like titles that they can use as a kind of shibboleth to judge who's really part of the right set.

To preempt the question: the husband of a dame (the female equivalent to a knighthood) gets no title.

I just want to be clear, I only know this because I had to know it for a job. Don't want people thinking I'd voluntarily learn this stuff - I'm an anti-monarchist (best not to describe myself as a republican on a predominantly American website).

by Anonymousreply 120September 16, 2020 10:30 PM

I was thinking about "As Time Goes By," R112. Which apparently didn't even start until 1992....

But felt like it had been on the air since the days of Sigmund Romberg. God, what a slog that maudlin thing was.

Whereas "Two's Company" was zippy! It still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 121September 16, 2020 10:57 PM

Somebody mention Two's Company?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122September 16, 2020 11:02 PM

There's a good bootleg of The Muny production of JRB, and its very good.

by Anonymousreply 123September 16, 2020 11:02 PM

A Fine Romance is awful. Judi looks like a washed out Bonnie Franklin and her husband tries to sell his crinkly charm before its expiration date.

Witless. Ugly. Bad British acting.

by Anonymousreply 124September 16, 2020 11:08 PM

[quote]Bad British acting.

But The Great British Baking Show returns this month.

by Anonymousreply 125September 16, 2020 11:10 PM

Why would someone want to see the Muny's JRB? They are not using the original designs and from the looks of it, does not use all of the original choreography.

What is the point?

by Anonymousreply 126September 16, 2020 11:14 PM

^^The original used the original designs from each show represented and the original choreography (or something new by Robbins if the original was not documented).

by Anonymousreply 127September 16, 2020 11:15 PM

The Muny production used the Robbins choreography, and the estate was involved. I had a friend in the cast. I think it was then replicated in Houston.

by Anonymousreply 128September 16, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote]In any event, I’m with [R297]; sane drivers do not regularly run through lights and they certainly don’t drive against traffic. And yet bicyclists do this Constantly. It’s incredibly dangerous. I have a close call with one probably close to every day. Since I obey walk and don’t walk signs, cars are way, wayyyy less of a problem.

But it's definitely true in the case of Andrews and the London recording of MFL. That's the only recording from that period in which her voice does not sound great, and she made many recordings on which she sounds much better as late as 10 years later or more.

by Anonymousreply 129September 17, 2020 12:58 AM

So Julie Andrews doesn’t obey traffic signals? That bitch.

by Anonymousreply 130September 17, 2020 1:15 AM

Arrgh, sorry R130, the post I meant to respond to was the following:

[quote]He states that Bernadette Peters had flu-like symptoms when she recorded "Song & Dance." Isn't that what they all say when the vocals don't sound so great? It's what they said about Tyne Daly's Gypsy and I think they said it about Julie Andrews on one of the "My Fair Lady" recordings.

Julie really was not well at the time of the MFL London recording. It's obvious just from listening. Ironically, she keeps insisting that that recording is superior to the original Broadway cast, which is the opposite of the truth. I can only guess she says that because maybe she has a percentage of the sales of the London recording but not the Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 131September 17, 2020 1:45 AM

Poor Dame Judi Dench. She fakes an injury to get out of that dreadful Cats show, and just as everyone has forgotten about it, they force her into doing the movie version 40 years later. She needs a crash course in assertiveness.

by Anonymousreply 132September 17, 2020 1:53 AM

R67 Dench was mainly known in the UK at this point. She didn't break out in the US until MRS. BROWN in the late '90s. Also, BAFTAs were pretty meaningless outside the UK until the early 2000s. That is when they decided to become an Oscar precursor. Prior to that, they were held after the Oscars, usually in April or May. By then, most everyone had moved on from Oscar season. Not to mention, the BAFTA were (and still are) not aired live, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 133September 17, 2020 2:24 AM

FUCK JUDI DENCH AND HER BREEZY CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 134September 17, 2020 2:26 AM

WE SEE YOU WHITE JUDY DENCH!

by Anonymousreply 135September 17, 2020 2:46 AM

WE SEE YOU WHITE LILLIAS!

by Anonymousreply 136September 17, 2020 2:49 AM

[quote]Not to mention, the BAFTA were (and still are) not aired live, for some reason.

I like to think it's in case Kathy Burke ever wins one (and yes I am using any chance to post this)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137September 17, 2020 2:57 AM

[quote] FUCK JUDI DENCH AND HER BREEZY CUNT!

But she’s a national treasure.

by Anonymousreply 138September 17, 2020 3:18 AM

R131, see r24.

by Anonymousreply 139September 17, 2020 3:49 AM

Everything about the OBCR of MFL is superior to the OLCR of the show, including the sound. The original mono is rich and full and actually much more satisfying than the lackluster stereo of the OLC. The only exception might be Harrison's performance, which is slightly more nuanced in London.

by Anonymousreply 140September 17, 2020 4:03 AM

[quote] I like to think it's in case Kathy Burke ever wins one (and yes I am using any chance to post this)

Kathy Burke is a really great actress. It's too bad she burned out for awhile and took a break.

by Anonymousreply 141September 17, 2020 4:29 AM

[Quote] Dench was mainly known in the UK at this point. She didn't break out in the US until MRS. BROWN in the late '90s. Also, BAFTAs were pretty meaningless outside the UK until the early 2000s.

And what has this got to do with a UK theatre star getting cast in a UK stage production?

by Anonymousreply 142September 17, 2020 4:41 AM

[quote] And what has this got to do with a UK theatre star getting cast in a UK stage production?

Because it meant that Judi wouldn't be doing the Broadway production and Elaine Stritch still had a chance.

by Anonymousreply 143September 17, 2020 5:46 AM

Elaine as an old pussy...

by Anonymousreply 144September 17, 2020 12:16 PM

The Eliot poem most like "Memory" is "Rhapsody on a Windy Night". They share a number of phrases.

R60, "looks like a million dollars" is a common expression in the English-speaking world. Maybe it was popularised in an old American movie, but you hear it even where the currency is pounds.

by Anonymousreply 145September 17, 2020 12:38 PM

[Quote] "looks like a million dollars" is a common expression in the English-speaking world.

A common expression among the generation from which ALW's father sprung? I'm skeptical.

by Anonymousreply 146September 17, 2020 12:39 PM

Rick McKay's Tribute to MARIAN SELDES from Broadway: The Golden Age Film Trilogy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147September 17, 2020 12:40 PM

I have no idea what a million bucks looks like...

by Anonymousreply 148September 17, 2020 12:41 PM

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149September 17, 2020 12:45 PM

Yes, R146. The generation born in Australia in the 30s and 40s would say it, so I imagine it's the same in Britain. You have to remember how imbued that generation was with American movies and plays.

by Anonymousreply 150September 17, 2020 12:51 PM

Andrew's father really should have said, "A million quid".

by Anonymousreply 151September 17, 2020 1:42 PM

Americans use expressions like "penny wise and pound foolish" so why wouldn't those in other countries use "looks like a million bucks"?

by Anonymousreply 152September 17, 2020 1:52 PM

ALW was born in the 40s. His father was born in 1914.

[Quote] so why wouldn't those in other countries use "looks like a million bucks"?

Brits are a breed apart.

by Anonymousreply 153September 17, 2020 3:08 PM

Dorothy Loudon in BALLROOM (1978, Broadway)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154September 17, 2020 6:34 PM

It could have been me!

by Anonymousreply 155September 17, 2020 6:34 PM

Oh, Dot, you didn't need yet *another* flop on your resume.

by Anonymousreply 156September 17, 2020 6:44 PM

Roz looks like she was having a ball...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157September 17, 2020 6:45 PM

It's a shame they didn't make a "Wonderful Town" movie with Betty Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 158September 17, 2020 6:48 PM

Janis Paige, the original star of "The Pajama Game," turned 98 yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159September 17, 2020 6:54 PM

She did it in '77....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160September 17, 2020 6:54 PM

[Quote] Janis Paige, the original star of "The Pajama Game," turned 98 yesterday.

Another role I turned down!

by Anonymousreply 161September 17, 2020 7:02 PM

Why do they have that photo of Roz all glammed up with a cigarette holder in front of the theater at r157? She certainly never looked like that in "Wonderful Town."

by Anonymousreply 162September 17, 2020 7:07 PM

[quote] The only exception might be Harrison's performance, which is slightly more nuanced in London

I had a friend (unfortunately, now deceased) who hated the London recording because he felt Rex Harrison was trying to 'croon'.

On one of these threads I learned (after 40 years) why Lerner changed the lyrics to 'Show Me' from "Don't talk of June, don't talk of fall, don't talk at all, show me!" to "Please don't implore, beg or beseech, Don't make a speech, show me!" (because the Brits call it 'autumn', not 'fall') and the lyrics in 'Get Me to the Church on Time" from 'Stamp me and mail me' to 'Bond me and bail me' (because they don't 'mail' things, they 'post' them).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163September 17, 2020 7:22 PM

The accents of the ensemble are better on the London recording, naturally.

by Anonymousreply 164September 17, 2020 7:28 PM

Fleabag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165September 17, 2020 7:39 PM

The entire London recording is better. I can't stand the OBC.

Andrews' voice really matured in the three years between recordings. The London recording is the rich warm voice we all love, much more full throated. The Broadway recording is small and pinched and far too cute to be effective.

Y'all can have your OBC of Fair Lady. I wouldn't have it in my house.

by Anonymousreply 166September 17, 2020 7:39 PM

Cyrano - Act One.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167September 17, 2020 7:41 PM

Thanks, as always, for the links.

I loved FLEABAG live. I was a fan of the series (S1, in particular) but the original play was even more wrenching to watch, even if it starts a bit slowly.

Does anyone know if she's doing a Season 3 at any point? I liked Season 2, but I could have lived without it, too.

by Anonymousreply 168September 17, 2020 7:43 PM

Cyrano - Act Two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169September 17, 2020 7:45 PM

Thank you R169.... you are the very best!

by Anonymousreply 170September 17, 2020 8:14 PM

I don’t know who that is in the picture of the album at r159, but it’s not Janis Paige.

by Anonymousreply 171September 17, 2020 8:18 PM

Did Julie Wilson join the production early in the run?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172September 17, 2020 8:49 PM

It seems to be an Australian pressing of the Broadway Cast recording. Could it be Toni Lamond of the Australian production?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173September 17, 2020 8:51 PM

IBDB doesn't say when she went in, r172.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174September 17, 2020 8:59 PM

But it does note that Janis Paige played Babe from May 13, 1954, to Jun 23, 1955.

And lists no one else but Julie Wilson as a replacement Babe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175September 17, 2020 9:07 PM

R175 she left Pajama Game for It's Always Jan, the television series produced by her husband. Sigh...we don't have tv shows with titles like that anymore. I bet that opening credit sequence has lyrics somewhere because you can hear how "It's Al-ways Jannnnnn" would fit over it at the beginning and end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176September 17, 2020 9:14 PM

R161 Dolores did eventually do "The Pajama Game," at St. Louis Muny, opposite Stephen Douglass.

R162 [Why do they have that photo of Roz all glammed up with a cigarette holder in front of the theater at [R157]? She certainly never looked like that in "Wonderful Town."] That's a photo of Roz enacting one of the three "vignettes," meant to be scenes from the somewhat derivative stories just handed in by Ruth Sherwood.

R175 Janis Paige's "Pajama Game" replacements were Fran Warren, Julie Wilson and Pat Marshall.

by Anonymousreply 177September 17, 2020 9:15 PM

Good ol' Fran Warren!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178September 17, 2020 9:21 PM

I'm running out the door to buy some Drene shampoo with Hairspring formula, r176...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 179September 17, 2020 9:38 PM

R168: Waller-Bridge has said she is done with Fleabag -- for now. In one interview I read (sorry, I have no idea where), she said that she *might* revisit the character when she (Fleabag) is older, perhaps menopausal, that that could be an interesting and new look at the character.

I also wish Waller-Bridge would write another season of Crashing, although, truth be told, I don't see how it would work. I love those characters, though.

by Anonymousreply 180September 17, 2020 9:38 PM

IBDB will correct their records if any of you supply them with proof of the missing replacement Babes.

A Playbill will do it.

by Anonymousreply 181September 17, 2020 9:43 PM

Phoebe Waller-Bridge is as overrated as BIPOC theater.

by Anonymousreply 182September 17, 2020 11:22 PM

Count me as another who prefers the OBCR of My Fair Lady to London.

by Anonymousreply 183September 17, 2020 11:51 PM

Was anyone from Follies in the Pajama Game?

by Anonymousreply 184September 18, 2020 12:21 AM

Tallu

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185September 18, 2020 12:28 AM

Yes, r184....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186September 18, 2020 12:30 AM

That Cyrano is a must-to-avoid. It has about as much panache as my _____(fill in the blank)

by Anonymousreply 187September 18, 2020 1:02 AM

David Merrick's 1973 musical version of Cyrano had a very short run but it really had its charms, mainly due to Christopher Plummer's performance in the title role. He won the Tony. The book and lyrics were by Anthony Burgess, of all people (A Clockwork Orange). The vinyl OBCR went out of print quickly because of the show's failure and became a collector's item.

by Anonymousreply 188September 18, 2020 2:39 AM

I don't believe that David Merrick had anything to do with that '73 Broadway "Cyrano" musical.

by Anonymousreply 189September 18, 2020 3:00 AM

Merrick's not that crazy.

by Anonymousreply 190September 18, 2020 3:57 AM

[quote]The entire London recording is better. I can't stand the OBC. Andrews' voice really matured in the three years between recordings. The London recording is the rich warm voice we all love, much more full throated. The Broadway recording is small and pinched and far too cute to be effective. Y'all can have your OBC of Fair Lady. I wouldn't have it in my house.

I'm being 100 percent serious, not nasty, when I say that maybe you should your hearing checked. Andrews sounds awful on most of the London recording -- ill and tired, plus she had already started to fall more deeply into that very bad habit of talking or declaiming rather than singing a lot of her lyrics. Listen to her performances of "Show Me" on both albums, for example. Far superior on the OBCR.

by Anonymousreply 191September 18, 2020 4:11 AM

I just do not agree, R191. And "Show Me" is exactly the performance I would choose to support my point.

On the OBC, she sounds as if she is a soubrette who just escaped a production of "The Boy Friend." On the London recording, she sounds like a woman with strong, clearly reasoned opinions and a good deal of spine. Her more seasoned knowledge of the character and how to play it shines through.

I also think the stereo recording enriches the entire LP.

by Anonymousreply 192September 18, 2020 12:18 PM

R166 is probably a Brit who can't bring themselves to compliment Americans about anything nor admit that sometimes the American version of something is better.

by Anonymousreply 193September 18, 2020 12:21 PM

Sorry. R166 was born and raised in the midwest. He bought his London cast recording at Rose's Discount Records in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 194September 18, 2020 12:57 PM

As an old geezer, all this bickering over MFL has brought back memories of the times I'd argue with a complete stranger in Tower Records over which version of a particular show was better than another, a concept of which people under 40 have no idea.

I miss the old days

by Anonymousreply 195September 18, 2020 1:04 PM

I remember those "discussions" very well, R195. You brought back a lot of memories with that post. I learned so much from having those physical recordings in front of me. Streaming can never replace it.

btw... The Lincoln Center 1965 "CAROUSEL" recording is the best!

by Anonymousreply 196September 18, 2020 1:20 PM

I purchased my Flahooley (the Capitol re-issue) at Peaches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197September 18, 2020 1:27 PM

I got my By the Beautiful Sea at the same time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198September 18, 2020 1:29 PM

R194. Rose’s! Oh what memories—taking the Lake Street El from Oak Park downtown and discovering a world of obscure show albums. Also, first store this goyische boy encountered that closed “for the holidays” (Rosh Hashanah And Yom Kippur).

by Anonymousreply 199September 18, 2020 1:31 PM

In case people missed it, this NYT critics' piece is worth a look.

And even more entertaining, the NYT readers' responses, including a well-deserved pile on to one critics' whining

[quote]In two decades of professional theater going, here are some things I have been shushed for: coughing, unwrapping a cough drop, reading a Playbill, writing a note and checking texts when I had left a baby at home with a fever.

OMG. If your baby is home with a fever while you're at the theatre 1) it's not my responsibility and 2) you are truly a shitty mother who needs to rethink here priorities. No, you should not be texting while the show is on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200September 18, 2020 1:49 PM

My god, yes, Rose's Records. As a Northwestern student, I lived for those sale events for new releases! Thanks for reviving those memories.

by Anonymousreply 201September 18, 2020 2:35 PM

Is it true Ben Bagley didn't pay some of the old dames who sang on his albums?

by Anonymousreply 202September 18, 2020 2:38 PM

I'm sure Kate got paid...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203September 18, 2020 4:01 PM

[quote]I just do not agree, [R191]. And "Show Me" is exactly the performance I would choose to support my point. On the OBC, she sounds as if she is a soubrette who just escaped a production of "The Boy Friend." On the London recording, she sounds like a woman with strong, clearly reasoned opinions and a good deal of spine. Her more seasoned knowledge of the character and how to play it shines through. I also think the stereo recording enriches the entire LP.

Well....seriously, maybe your ears and mine are constructed differently, because my opinions on all of the above are the exact opposite of yours. The sound quality of the stereo MFL is famously inferior to the mono original, and I can't believe you actually think that performance of "Show Me" on the London recording -- with Andrews talking or shouting half of the song, rather than singing it -- is any good, let alone better than the original. To each their own!

by Anonymousreply 204September 18, 2020 4:07 PM

That is what it comes down to, r204. You two should prefer the sound of your favored recordings. It's like....some people prefer their Send in the Clowns to be melancholy and some prefer it...FUCKING ANGRY.

by Anonymousreply 205September 18, 2020 4:25 PM

Some prefer a shooky-shooky beat...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206September 18, 2020 4:27 PM

But does anyone prefer Kay Medfory GYPSY?

by Anonymousreply 207September 18, 2020 4:30 PM

*Medford

by Anonymousreply 208September 18, 2020 4:30 PM

[quote]r205 It's like....some people prefer their Send in the Clowns to be melancholy and some prefer it...FUCKING ANGRY.

We should discuss that some time!

by Anonymousreply 209September 18, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote]But does anyone prefer Kay Medfory GYPSY?

I don't. It's way too Medfory for my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 210September 18, 2020 4:45 PM

Sheesh, r210....some people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211September 18, 2020 4:56 PM

Kay couldn’t sing for shit and her phrasing was oh so predictable.

by Anonymousreply 212September 18, 2020 5:11 PM

Your BUTT is predictable!

by Anonymousreply 213September 18, 2020 5:17 PM

^^ sorry R212 - I don’t know why it makes me crack up so much to always parrot that : )

It’s the 2nd Grader in me

(non-sexually)

by Anonymousreply 214September 18, 2020 5:19 PM

Dunno about your inner second grader r214, but personally I have always found butts to be singularly UNpredictable.

Which is one of their charms.

by Anonymousreply 215September 18, 2020 5:33 PM

I always felt the best way to interpret SEND IN THE CLOWNS is to be self-deprecating while hiding the anger at him in the first part, and then anger at herself in the second part for embarrasing herself until the end where she becomes resigned to it but with a little bit of hope.

by Anonymousreply 216September 18, 2020 7:03 PM

The song only works with a performer who can really plumb the depths of the song...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217September 18, 2020 7:17 PM

I think a good, sensitive performance of "Send in the Clowns" should combine feelings of sadness/regret/melancholy as well as some bitterness and anger, but to play the whole song for angry bitterness would be a big mistake.

by Anonymousreply 218September 18, 2020 7:43 PM

Taps. It needs...taps.

by Anonymousreply 219September 18, 2020 7:50 PM

Guess what, YouTube allows us all to easily compare Julie Andrews' recording of "Show Me" on the original Broadway cast and the London cast albums of MY FAIR LADY. Here is the far superior performance from the Broadway recording -- her voice is pure and clear, the belt sections are powerful, and she actually sings the notes while fully acting the song to the hilt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220September 18, 2020 7:51 PM

[quote] Janis Paige's "Pajama Game" replacements were Fran Warren, Julie Wilson and Pat Marshall.

All of whom sang on pitch.

by Anonymousreply 221September 18, 2020 7:56 PM

And here is the far inferior (IMHO) performance from the London album. Julie sounds under the weather (which she apparently was during the sessions), which may partly explain why she talks or shouts most of song rather than singing it, and when she does actually sing the notes that are written, her pitch is droopy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222September 18, 2020 7:56 PM

The London version at R222 is shrill, cynical, charmless. Pass.

And the Freddy sucks.

by Anonymousreply 223September 18, 2020 8:00 PM

You appear to be right, r173. This is Toni in the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224September 18, 2020 8:00 PM

Where else can you find a continuing comparison of two performances by the same singer of a lesser song from a great musical . . . except on DL?

by Anonymousreply 225September 18, 2020 8:17 PM

Toni's Clowns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226September 18, 2020 8:35 PM

Well played, R226! You are the real Data Lounge deal.

by Anonymousreply 227September 18, 2020 9:07 PM

It looks like Toni had a Toni, r224! I'm watching Miss Nesbitt on Naked City....

SEASON 3 • EPISODE 2 • DEAD ON THE FIELD OF HONOR • DRAMA / CRIME DRAMA

Beau Choiseul (Logan Ramsey) is a strict believer in chivalry. One day he sees a man arguing discourteously with his girl friend---so he shoots him. Grandmaman: Cathleen Nesbitt. Vivianne: Ann Williams. Parker: Horace McMahon. Arcaro: Harry Bellaver. Flint: Paul...

by Anonymousreply 228September 18, 2020 9:12 PM

TONI! TONI! TONI!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229September 18, 2020 9:17 PM

The song requires some balls. Eliza is pissed at how she has been treated and she lets it fly. None of that is captured in the OBC.

But not on the OBC.

It's not an easy role to sing 8 times a week. I suspect Miss Andrews had some expert vocal instruction during the run of My Fair Lady so that she could get through it. She went into it a natural talent and an experienced singer, but not a trained singer. If her voice has changed after a year and a half on Broadway and if she has learned how to sing the song and survive, that's all good. She would not survive 8 a week singing as she did on the OBC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230September 18, 2020 9:25 PM

It really did surprise me how much worse she was on the London album. She is still good, but the acting and singing are so much better on the OBC. As someone said, she needs balls and she needs to let it fly, so either in the course of the run she lost that or she could not do it because she was ill.

Really interesting to compare.

by Anonymousreply 231September 18, 2020 9:30 PM

There's pitchy moments on the OLC but she's more upfront in the mix and with less reverb on her vocal she has more presence in the soundscape.

by Anonymousreply 232September 18, 2020 9:33 PM

R201 I’m the native Oak Parker who posted about Rose’s, but I also went to Northwestern and would take friends on the El to Rose’s and lunch at the English Room at Fields with their exquisite cheese soup. Oh les beaux jours..,.

by Anonymousreply 233September 18, 2020 9:54 PM

Frango Mints!

by Anonymousreply 234September 18, 2020 10:02 PM

What exactly was the thinking behind doing a recording of the London cast at all? Freddy was the only lead not on the OBCR. Not counting Mrs. Pearce.

by Anonymousreply 235September 18, 2020 10:02 PM

R232, that is the hard thing. The OLC is better produced, but her performance is not as good.

So it all rests on what you value.

by Anonymousreply 236September 18, 2020 10:03 PM

Well, if Kritzerland were to re-release the OBC and OLC together, they could fix some bum notes as they did with Jerry Orbach on the OBC of "Promises, Promises."

by Anonymousreply 237September 18, 2020 10:09 PM

So that it would be in stereo, r235?

by Anonymousreply 238September 18, 2020 10:11 PM

While I was doing a show in Chicago, Barbara Cook made an appearance at Rose Records and I approached and fawned all over her (this would be around 1983). I also gave her a tape cassette of my songs...which she never sang or recorded. I cry myself to sleep every night thinking about that.

by Anonymousreply 239September 18, 2020 10:11 PM

Did you right about getting high with some guy in the sky?

by Anonymousreply 240September 18, 2020 10:13 PM

*write

by Anonymousreply 241September 18, 2020 10:13 PM

Hangman - Act One.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 242September 18, 2020 10:39 PM

Hangman - Act Two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243September 18, 2020 10:40 PM

Everybody's Talking Bout Jamie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244September 18, 2020 10:42 PM

Oh, dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245September 18, 2020 10:44 PM

Whoever did that album cover at R226 has a misguided sense of New York geography.

by Anonymousreply 246September 18, 2020 11:09 PM

No BONNIE FRANKLIN in that lineup, R245 ? ? ?

She could have slapped the hell out of little Patrick if given a scene from "Mame".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247September 18, 2020 11:32 PM

Dammit, Patrick!

by Anonymousreply 248September 18, 2020 11:40 PM

Thank you, r245. Lorna's Time Heals Everything was wonderful, as was Leslie's and Flo's Kiss Her Now.

by Anonymousreply 249September 19, 2020 12:34 AM

I agree. Julie sounds like shit on that London album.

by Anonymousreply 250September 19, 2020 1:37 AM

[quote]What exactly was the thinking behind doing a recording of the London cast at all? Freddy was the only lead not on the OBCR. Not counting Mrs. Pearce.

The main reason, and the obvious one (so obvious I'm surprised you missed it), for re-recording MY FAIR LADY with the London cast was that the OBC recording JUST missed being recorded in stereo. Which makes it all the more ironic that the sound quality on the London recording is actually far worse than the Broadway.

[quote] The OLC is better produced, but her performance is not as good.

The OLC is definitely NOT better produced, in my opinion. There's a lot of distortion in the sound, the stereo is not very well done, some of the conducting is just awful, and there are other flaws to it as well. The only major improvement, as someone else noted, is that the ensemble members and the singers of the smaller roles all sound believably British, which of course they were, whereas on the OBC they sound flat-out American.

by Anonymousreply 251September 19, 2020 4:14 AM

Replying to a comment way back, you're right, Merrick didn't produce the Christopher Plummer Cyrano. In my dotage I was conflating that production with Merrick's attempts in the late 1960s to mount a musical version with Anthony Newly, which never happened.

Oddly, I am currently sitting here watching an over the air broadcast of the Cyrano film with José Ferrer. And spell check wanted to replace Ferrer with ferret.

by Anonymousreply 252September 19, 2020 5:09 AM

^ Newley, not Newly. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 253September 19, 2020 5:16 AM

Yes the MFL OLC was all about getting the performances in stereo. That was a VERY big deal in those early days of stereo. The London recording was the first one we bought after getting a big console stereo player. We wouldn't have even considered the mono version, especially given the London set's golden cover and gatefold package. Well worth the extra $1 we had to pay.

by Anonymousreply 254September 19, 2020 1:18 PM

When did three track recording start?

by Anonymousreply 255September 19, 2020 1:22 PM

What R254 said. Stereo was a huge improvement and was enormously popular.

Beware the queens who tell you monaural is just as good, or even better. They are insane. It is not.

For a period, monaural recordings were rejigged to create a simulated stereo and that did not always work out. The original monaural versions of those recordings often provided a better listening experience.

by Anonymousreply 256September 19, 2020 3:13 PM

Of course, stereo was a huge improvement but the stereo albums were sometimes not well-recorded. Engineers had a long time to perfect the microphone placement and other elements that contributed to excellent monaural recordings. There was a lot of experimentation in those early stereo recordings -- some things worked and others didn't.

by Anonymousreply 257September 19, 2020 3:19 PM

I love YT’s Valens with the heat of a thousand suns.

by Anonymousreply 258September 19, 2020 4:43 PM

You're right, r257, but in those days we took what we could get. And we liked it!!

by Anonymousreply 259September 19, 2020 5:39 PM

Shirley MacLaine - Indiana Dinner (1955)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260September 19, 2020 5:48 PM

Shirley MacLaine - The Art Of Conversation (1955)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261September 19, 2020 5:51 PM

I forgot that there was a time when Lorna could really sing. Acting, however...

by Anonymousreply 262September 19, 2020 5:56 PM

Phedre with Mirren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263September 19, 2020 6:36 PM

CarmAn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264September 19, 2020 6:38 PM

Hansard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265September 19, 2020 6:40 PM

[quote]And spell check wanted to replace Ferrer with ferret.

Would've been OK with me.

by Anonymousreply 266September 19, 2020 6:44 PM

Hansard was such a piece of crap. And hearing David Hare during the interval when it was broadcast, you realized that he considers himself brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 267September 19, 2020 6:48 PM

The National could happily perform far less Bennett and Hare....but they are obsessed with them.

by Anonymousreply 268September 19, 2020 6:54 PM

It is really bizaree. Bennett and Hare had a couple interesting plays a few decades ago. But most of their output is tedious and mediocre. But by hiring directors and actors more gifted than these writers they manage to somehow makes their plays merely seem dull rather than incompetently written.

Writing one (or maybe two) good plays does not give most writers a lifetime pass. Why these two?

Do they have a piss tape of the Queen or something?

by Anonymousreply 269September 19, 2020 7:02 PM

Stereo didn't become a vast improvement until multi track recording moved way past 3 and 4 track.

by Anonymousreply 270September 19, 2020 7:04 PM

For absolutely no reason...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271September 19, 2020 7:07 PM

My beloved Valens, do you have the 25th anniversary Miss Saigon?

by Anonymousreply 272September 19, 2020 7:08 PM

The one wing the glasses, Maggie Stredder, died in the past year or so.

by Anonymousreply 273September 19, 2020 7:09 PM

Car Man live was the sexiest show I've ever seen on stage. I was hard the entire night.

by Anonymousreply 274September 19, 2020 7:14 PM

Why did a mention of Hansard start a conversation about David Hare? Though speaking of him, I'm Not Running was absolutely dire.

by Anonymousreply 275September 19, 2020 7:47 PM

Ethel...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276September 19, 2020 7:51 PM

Who was the dame with the eye patch, r273?

by Anonymousreply 277September 19, 2020 7:54 PM

BLOW!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278September 19, 2020 8:02 PM

For no reason at all, may I present another Ethel:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279September 19, 2020 8:05 PM

R275, because those British names all sound alike to me and I got confused.

by Anonymousreply 280September 19, 2020 8:16 PM

I, for one, still enjoy Alan Bennett's work (or what good directors and casts can do with them) but will also agree that his best days are past.

by Anonymousreply 281September 19, 2020 8:39 PM

[quote]Writing one (or maybe two) good plays does not give most writers a lifetime pass. Why these two?

Hey! I resemble that remark.

by Anonymousreply 282September 19, 2020 8:54 PM

The shocking thing was that the songs in Hallelujah were suggested by the director during development. Even with them, it was a real slog, but the idea of that play without them .....

And seeing Madness of George III on NTLive without the direction and performances that made the original production so great revealed how undergraduate the writing is.

by Anonymousreply 283September 19, 2020 10:36 PM

Rewatching R279, am I nuts, or is Vivian Vance just barely staying in character during parts of "Shortnin' Bread"? Who can blame her?

by Anonymousreply 284September 19, 2020 10:57 PM

R256, I completely agree that stereo sound is generally a great improvement over mono -- BUT a poorly engineered stereo recording like the London cast album of MY FAIR LADY can be inferior in sound quality to a beautifully engineered mono recording such as the original Broadway cast album of MY FAIR LADY. Plus the fact that, in this case, the performances are different, and the London album is inferior in that respect as well.

by Anonymousreply 285September 20, 2020 12:01 AM

[quote]Stereo didn't become a vast improvement until multi track recording moved way past 3 and 4 track.

I disagree, I think some of the earliest stereo recordings sound great, including some of the earliest stereo cast albums, like CANDIDE, BELLS ARE RINGING, and the Julie Andrews CINDERELLA. But not the London MY FAIR LADY.....

by Anonymousreply 286September 20, 2020 12:07 AM

I remember hating the gimmicky quadraphonic mix of the Company cast album, specifically "Getting Married Today" with Beth Howland magically transporting from quadrant to quadrant, line to line.

by Anonymousreply 287September 20, 2020 12:15 AM

Ah, but the Quadrophonic COMPANY "Ladies Who Lunch" is very interesting. We all know how Elaine's performance was recorded. Elaine is pretty much solo on the 4th channel of the Quadrophonic recording. You can tune her out and just enjoy the orchestration. Or, possibly, have yourself the best ever karaoke "Ladies Who Lunch."

by Anonymousreply 288September 20, 2020 12:57 AM

"But to all of you, it has taken me 42 years to climb those eight steps."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289September 20, 2020 2:11 AM

Toni Lamond's half-sister...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290September 20, 2020 2:44 AM

Toni Now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291September 20, 2020 2:46 AM

Miss Saigon - 25th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292September 20, 2020 2:49 AM

[quote]r275 Ethel...

Get that braying cow OUT of here!

by Anonymousreply 293September 20, 2020 3:13 AM

Thanks for posting the Miss Saigon 25th, but when I clicked I got the message "We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service." Kim never had it so rough.

by Anonymousreply 294September 20, 2020 9:15 AM

I get the same message R294

by Anonymousreply 295September 20, 2020 11:04 AM

Have we heard anything new about the musical that won't be reopening?

by Anonymousreply 296September 20, 2020 1:37 PM

You mean all of them, R296?

by Anonymousreply 297September 20, 2020 1:40 PM

I'm tellin' ya...what Broadway needs to make a comeback is a revival of The Moon is Blue!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298September 20, 2020 2:55 PM

Barbra...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299September 20, 2020 3:58 PM

That's hilarious. Good for Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 300September 20, 2020 4:14 PM

Not always, but sometimes you just gotta love Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 301September 20, 2020 4:30 PM

The fuck I do.

by Anonymousreply 302September 20, 2020 4:35 PM

What is Ms. Fonda’s beef with Babs?

by Anonymousreply 303September 20, 2020 6:20 PM

There isn't one, r303. But some people are just gonna...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304September 20, 2020 6:30 PM

Things I Know To Be True.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305September 20, 2020 6:40 PM

The Best Worst Thing that Ever Could Have Happened.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306September 20, 2020 6:42 PM

It's True! It's True! It's True!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307September 20, 2020 6:44 PM

Sorry, no idea why Saigon won't play, seems fine from my end. Is it downloadable?

by Anonymousreply 308September 20, 2020 6:56 PM

OMG, r306, Joanna Merlin is SO young! Maybe it's because she isn't wearing a judge's robe.

by Anonymousreply 309September 20, 2020 7:57 PM

Judges' robes are so aging.

by Anonymousreply 310September 20, 2020 8:43 PM

R308 All I get is the Google Drive logo along with "We're sorry. You can't access this item because it is in violation of our Terms of Service. Find out more about this topic at the Google Drive Help Center." None of the normal Drive options. I've tried in both Safari and Firefox.

PS I finally watched Hangmen this morning and enjoyed it very much!

by Anonymousreply 311September 20, 2020 8:59 PM

R311 Bummer. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 312September 20, 2020 9:05 PM

R312 You've given us all so much throughout this quarantine that I remain forever grateful. xx

by Anonymousreply 313September 20, 2020 9:23 PM

R313 You are very sweet.

Faith Healer with Michael Sheen, Indira Varma and David Threlfall. Socially distanced theater

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314September 20, 2020 10:11 PM

Is "Faith Healer" an Irish play?

by Anonymousreply 315September 20, 2020 10:13 PM

R312 is Person of the Year here on DL.

Fuck the Froy/Madden troll.

by Anonymousreply 316September 20, 2020 10:16 PM

Yes, Faith Healer is by Brian Friel who wrote Dancing at Lughnasa. It's a brilliant play made up of monologues

by Anonymousreply 317September 20, 2020 10:19 PM

I have seen one very good production of Faith Healer. And I have seen one very bad production. Both were moving because the script is so good.

by Anonymousreply 318September 20, 2020 11:05 PM

R296 That poster said it was Mean Girls

by Anonymousreply 319September 20, 2020 11:41 PM

I saw the original Broadway production of “Faith Healer, “ with James Mason, his wife, and Donal Donnelly. Fascinating piece. Chilling finale.

For a long time, Mason’s was the only autograph I ever sought, and got. That play took courage. I don’t think he did a lot of stage work.

by Anonymousreply 320September 21, 2020 12:20 AM

I'm reading that there are theaters and people pushing to make 12 hour tech days only 8 hours and rehearsals will be 5 days a week instead of 6. It's part of the "we see you white theater" thing. Is tech racist?

by Anonymousreply 321September 21, 2020 1:14 AM

I do not know about the tech stuff, but a lot of the practices that have been protested as classist (such as unpaid internships) are now being classfied as racist.

If it helps wrest theater jobs out of the hands of the wealthy, I am all for it.

by Anonymousreply 322September 21, 2020 1:19 AM

Yes, its such a hardship to work the occasional 12 hour day with plenty of -- PLENTY OF -- breaks during the very brief period a show is teaching.. Every doctor, nurse, police and fireman regularly works 12 hour shifts and doesn't bitch. There is nothing classicist or racist about it. Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 323September 21, 2020 2:33 AM

R323 Well, according to the Smithsonian Institute, "hard work is the key to success" is a white culture thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324September 21, 2020 6:02 AM

*Institution, sorry. Specifically, the National Museum of African American History and Culture

by Anonymousreply 325September 21, 2020 6:05 AM

r324 you could say the same for Japanese culture, etc etc.. This is so bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 326September 21, 2020 7:19 AM

Being on time is a white culture thing/bad?

by Anonymousreply 327September 21, 2020 7:43 AM

LOL! Blacks are just swindling white people's guilt.

by Anonymousreply 328September 21, 2020 7:54 AM

Unpaid work is exploitation. It should be banned.

by Anonymousreply 329September 21, 2020 8:05 AM

I think the question of why one should have 12 tech days is reasonable. You could change it to one and a half 8 hour days.

by Anonymousreply 330September 21, 2020 11:42 AM

Tech rehearsals are a dreary--but absolutely essential--component of putting a show together, when all the plastic elements of a production come together under the director's supervision. If anyone thinks that can be accomplished in anything under 12 hour days, they know nothing about theater and/or are lazy sods who have no business working in it.

by Anonymousreply 331September 21, 2020 12:00 PM

Oh, please, R331. They can do the same work in 8 hour days, they will just need more of them. They would probably be more productive, not less, if they were not exhausted when doing the work. This goes double for safety in a tech-heavy production.

If anyone thinks that can be accomplished in anything under 12 hour days... that person knows little of the Metropolitan Opera's rigorous tech and rehearsal schedule.

by Anonymousreply 332September 21, 2020 12:05 PM

The Met? Try doing tech for Follies!

by Anonymousreply 333September 21, 2020 12:18 PM

FOLLIES!!!

by Anonymousreply 334September 21, 2020 12:20 PM

Actors complaining about 10 out of 12 is ridiculous. They mostly stand/move minimally while set pieces and lighting are finalized by designers and crew who work their asses off. And then end up in a two hour production meeting before an 8:00 am call the next morning.

by Anonymousreply 335September 21, 2020 1:00 PM

Black people are lazy. What do you expect?

by Anonymousreply 336September 21, 2020 2:47 PM

R335 is typical. He immediately makes it all about the actors and their complaints.

It does not seem to register that the designers and crew might not be thrilled with cramming so much work into one day. Most of them know they do not make their best decisions in the last few hours and that anything they do then will have to be reviewed again later.

Plus, god forbid that anyone have children, medical issues etc.

In spite of what R335 says, more design and tech staff complain about the 12 hour days than any one else. (And their days are really longer than 12 hours when you get down to it!)

by Anonymousreply 337September 21, 2020 3:06 PM

Actors complain?

by Anonymousreply 338September 21, 2020 3:34 PM

I think it's less about how draining the day is and more about how those work-hours are less tenable to people who live under less privileged conditions, vis a vis childcare, transportation, etc. If those conditions are disproportionately experienced by BIPOC, then the practice is more challenging or burdensome to them. I'm not sure I buy it but that's my understanding. On the other hand, so many jobs have. periods or moments of tremendous overtime and midnight-oil-burning, so who knows.

by Anonymousreply 339September 21, 2020 3:55 PM

Regardless of who is most severely affected, and in what ways, do we honestly have any idea why they have those 10-out-of-12-days rather than stretching the tech out over two days or more? The only reason I can think of is that the shows want to move into the theaters and begin rehearsing there as late as possible to save money on rent, but for heaven's sake, couldn't everyone work out a deal so it would be affordable for them to move into the theaters one or two days earlier to allow for less onerous tech days?

by Anonymousreply 340September 21, 2020 4:55 PM

My understanding (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong) is that it’s not about theatre rental; the production has already been in the theatre for weeks prior to tech rehearsals. It’s about the actors. Six 12 hour days is cheaper than nine 8 hour days because the Union makes allowances for 10 out of 12s. This might also be the case with IATSE. I don’t know.

by Anonymousreply 341September 21, 2020 5:11 PM

I really miss the "Follies" discussions.

by Anonymousreply 342September 21, 2020 5:33 PM

I don't even want to think about how long the tech for Follies took.

by Anonymousreply 343September 21, 2020 5:37 PM

r339 that's the first argument I've heard about this topic that makes any sense. Thanks .

by Anonymousreply 344September 21, 2020 6:07 PM

So apparently none of you work in the theatre. The reason for 10/12s has always been for the good of the whole. As someone above wrote, its incredibly intense time of coordination, communication , and stage management, sound, lights, sets, costumes all trying to learn/create their show. To do that, they need long, concentrated hours, and you need to be together for long stretches because so many questions, etc come up. The actors are the least of it. If you've every witnessed a Broadway tech, it is watching paint dry because it goes so slow. You need a lot of time. And yes, lots of jobs have 10-12 hour shifts and its not viewed as a BIPOC issue.

by Anonymousreply 345September 21, 2020 6:58 PM

Hal Prince - Cock Sucker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346September 21, 2020 7:01 PM

Virginia Wolfe - Imelda - Act One.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347September 21, 2020 7:03 PM

Thanks, R346!

My PBS donor program guide had that by another title, however.

by Anonymousreply 348September 21, 2020 7:03 PM

Virginia Wolfe - Imelda - Act Two.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349September 21, 2020 7:04 PM

Virginia Wolfe - Imelda - Act Three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350September 21, 2020 7:06 PM

A decent copy of Pirates of Penzance, with Patricia as Ruth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351September 21, 2020 7:31 PM

I had to check out the "What a dump" and then stayed on till the "...BRAY!". That's it. Couldn't get further.

by Anonymousreply 352September 21, 2020 7:32 PM

I know this is the least of DL's concerns with Imelda, but she's clearly in very good shape. Not very Martha in that respect.

by Anonymousreply 353September 21, 2020 7:38 PM

Diana Rigg evidently didn't rate herself in the role. Did anyone see her as Martha? Billie Whitelaw and Glenda Jackson are two other Brits who famously failed to soar in the role. Interesting how the original London Martha was American while the George was Irish.

by Anonymousreply 354September 21, 2020 7:39 PM

I saw Diana Rigg and David Suchet in WAOVW. They were both extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 355September 21, 2020 7:42 PM

^^ agreed on Rigg/Suchet.

by Anonymousreply 356September 21, 2020 7:47 PM

R 345, right, but you do not really explain why the days have to be so long. Why not more days with fewer hours each? As has been pointed out in opera the techs do not involve such long days. In Britain they do it in less time total.

Why do we do it this way?

by Anonymousreply 357September 21, 2020 8:02 PM

Dear R351, thank you so much! I'm amazed. Where did it come from? The quality is so much better than the Broadway Theatre Archive version that was commercially released.

by Anonymousreply 358September 21, 2020 8:32 PM

Did you see Routledge's "I've Been to a Marvelous Party", aged 91?

by Anonymousreply 359September 21, 2020 8:37 PM

R358 I believe from the DVD. I know, such good quality, finally!

by Anonymousreply 360September 21, 2020 8:38 PM

What website do you use to rip from YT?

by Anonymousreply 361September 21, 2020 8:51 PM

y2mate or clip converter

by Anonymousreply 362September 21, 2020 8:52 PM

I have a friend who runs a regional theater and we were discussing this topic last week. He basically said that it is worth considering, but basically if you get rid of 10 out of 12s each production will have to add a week of rehearsal. That is expensive. Now, almost every theater I know of isn’t exactly swimming in cash, so this would just be yet another Financial burden. And my bet is the various unions will do exactly nothing to help out.

by Anonymousreply 363September 21, 2020 9:15 PM

Shame the Kathleen Turner WAOVW didn’t go to London.

by Anonymousreply 364September 21, 2020 10:00 PM

It did. I saw it in London.

by Anonymousreply 365September 21, 2020 10:01 PM

I have the DVD of Penzance and it looks like shit compared to that rip, even though they're the same source.

by Anonymousreply 366September 21, 2020 10:05 PM

Maybe yours is a bootleg?

by Anonymousreply 367September 21, 2020 10:37 PM

[quote]R352 I had to check out the "What a dump" and then stayed on till the "...BRAY!". That's it. Couldn't get further.

It’s all very...declaratory.

by Anonymousreply 368September 21, 2020 10:37 PM

Thought you all might to know I had a creepy dream last night in which Jo Anne Worley was a serial killer. She lived in a big trailer with a bunch of roommates. It started out as a sitcom we were shooting, but then unfortunately it all became all to real.

I escaped, tho.

That is all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369September 21, 2020 10:43 PM

Yes, r368, indeed! Well, guess I'll have to watch this this evening:

*Designing Women*

TONIGHT, 8:30 PM 30 MIN 1992

SEASON 6 • EPISODE 17 • MAMED • COMEDY / SITCOM • 61 METASCORE

A Broadway has-been vows to make Julia rue the day that she stole the role of "Mame" from her in Anthony's community-theater production. Jeff: Sean Ryan. Julia: Dixie Carter. Anthony: Meshach Taylor...

by Anonymousreply 370September 21, 2020 11:34 PM

r369 - Guilty conscience, Joyce?

by Anonymousreply 371September 21, 2020 11:46 PM

R367 Nah, I also have the professionally made Broadway Archives (i.e., not a boot) DVD of Pirates and it is really lousy looking. This rip is at least 10x better quality.

by Anonymousreply 372September 21, 2020 11:48 PM

r370 Please tell me there's a crossover cameo from Phyllis Hammerow, Miami's answer to Meryl Streep.

by Anonymousreply 373September 22, 2020 12:27 AM

There’s a “Pirates” on BroadwayHD, that looks like crap as well

by Anonymousreply 374September 22, 2020 1:19 AM

I had no idea that Pirates was available in a far superior version. The commercial release is crap. Who the hell said it was ok to release it?

by Anonymousreply 375September 22, 2020 2:05 AM

Weren't Bells Are Ringing and Candide only in mono? They, like MFL, were recorded in '56.

I grew up listening to the London MFL. It was what was sold when I was a boy. I thought it was the OBC. Imagine my surprise when I found out it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 376September 22, 2020 2:42 AM

[quote]Miami's answer to Meryl Streep.

I was not aware I had asked Miami any questions.

by Anonymousreply 377September 22, 2020 3:41 AM

Oh, R376...

I believe it was one of the first recorded in Stereo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378September 22, 2020 1:58 PM

R373, unfortunately there's no one from the Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater *BUT* Gretchen Wyler does play the tough boozy grande dame of the community theatre who is none too pleased playing "Vera" to Julia's "Mame." I've always assumed the part was written for Dixie's ol pal Elaine Stritch but timing (or money) led to Wyler's casting. This episode and Rick McKay's Broadway: The Golden Age are really my only two exposures to Miss Wyler. She seems... a very particular personality.

In an inspired bit, Mary Jo plays "Gooch;" Annie Potts truly woulda looked ravishing coming down the staircase after the makeover.

by Anonymousreply 379September 22, 2020 2:18 PM

Candide OBC was definitely in stereo. But there's a mono version as well. Don't know if the performances are different in any way, as in Funny Girl.

by Anonymousreply 380September 22, 2020 2:27 PM

I was reminded why I didn't watch those later seasons of DW, r379. But, it *was* great to see Gretch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381September 22, 2020 2:30 PM

This record cover is a true work of art....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382September 22, 2020 2:31 PM

On what planet r382?

by Anonymousreply 383September 22, 2020 2:47 PM

[quote]Candide OBC was definitely in stereo. But there's a mono version as well. Don't know if the performances are different in any way, as in Funny Girl.

I interviewed someone at Columbia Records many years ago, and he told me that when they released Candide on CD for the first time, they discovered that there was a difference in what Pangloss says to introduce the first song in the stereo version versus the mono version. I can't remember what it was, though.

by Anonymousreply 384September 22, 2020 2:52 PM

Back in the day most albums (of any kind, not just Broadway) were released in both mono and stereo versions. The stereo version usually cost a buck more than the mono version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385September 22, 2020 2:56 PM

FOLLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386September 22, 2020 2:59 PM

A NEW ORTHOPHONIC HIGH FIDELITY RECORDING

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387September 22, 2020 3:02 PM

Excuse me... but who are THESE whores??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388September 22, 2020 3:21 PM

What age was Gretch at r381? Her dancing is not engaging. It seems very "careful."

by Anonymousreply 389September 22, 2020 3:52 PM

[quote]R306 The Best Worst Thing that Ever Could Have Happened (2016)

Wow. Thank you for posting that. A friend and I used to listen to MERRILY a lot in college, and that brought me back.

It’s bittersweet seeing how much the performers loved the show, and yet how much pain it also brought them. Seeing them back in their old dressing rooms is moving.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390September 22, 2020 3:55 PM

[quote]R389 What age was Gretch at [R381]? Her dancing is not engaging.

Your BUTT is not engaging!

by Anonymousreply 391September 22, 2020 3:56 PM

My butt has been engaged more times than I can count.

by Anonymousreply 392September 22, 2020 4:03 PM

Am I the only one who never found the whole Broadway Backwards/Miscast thing at all clever or interesting? It just seems like an excuse for chorus boys to act even more campy and queeny than they usually do.

by Anonymousreply 393September 22, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote]This record cover is a true work of art....

Gretchen's ass must have its own Zip code.

by Anonymousreply 394September 22, 2020 4:35 PM

But never made it to the altar, r392.

by Anonymousreply 395September 22, 2020 5:07 PM

Butt quite a few of the honeymoons were incredible r395.

by Anonymousreply 396September 22, 2020 5:08 PM

The girl had curves...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397September 22, 2020 5:15 PM

But the face...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398September 22, 2020 5:18 PM

If this were a portrait of me, I would have shot the photographer in retaliation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 399September 22, 2020 5:20 PM

I agree with R393. What is the point? Most of the performers at these events aren't using their songs as opportunities to actually play with gender in an entertaining and surprising way.

A bunch of tired, slutty chorus boys playing at being tired, slutty "dance hall hostesses?" That's just another night on Fire Island, or in the closest gay bar. It's like most drag acts, minus the dresses. Nothing new.

Tired.

by Anonymousreply 400September 22, 2020 5:20 PM

I'm getting a Mamie Van Doren vibe from the photo of Gretchen at R397.

by Anonymousreply 401September 22, 2020 5:22 PM

[quote]If this were a portrait of me, I would have shot the photographer in retaliation.

Looks kind of like Judy Collins after a night of black beauties and quaaludes.

by Anonymousreply 402September 22, 2020 5:24 PM

I'm always surprised when performers get nosejobs later in life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403September 22, 2020 5:24 PM

But I guess she focused on getting TV/movie work from 1980s onwards.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 404September 22, 2020 5:24 PM

Not much of an actress, but I adore her lemonade.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 405September 22, 2020 5:28 PM

I always assumed she was director William Wyler’s daughter.

But she’s a [italic] Wienecke[/italic] from Oklahoma!

by Anonymousreply 406September 22, 2020 5:28 PM

Gretchen Wyler was standby for Lauren Bacall in "Applause." As befits a star in her own right, Wyler was not listed in the "Applause" Playbill. She never went on, as Bacall did not miss shows.

by Anonymousreply 407September 22, 2020 6:10 PM

I bet her But Alive would have been great.

by Anonymousreply 408September 22, 2020 6:14 PM

^ And I wonder if she did it in stock.

by Anonymousreply 409September 22, 2020 6:15 PM

Did Gretch play the role in the regions?

by Anonymousreply 410September 22, 2020 6:15 PM

I wish there was more footage of her dancing. It would be nice to see her do the Yankees and Charity choreography.

by Anonymousreply 411September 22, 2020 6:26 PM

[quote]Did Gretch play the role in the regions?

Possibly the nether regions.

by Anonymousreply 412September 22, 2020 6:31 PM

Stritchy...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413September 22, 2020 8:09 PM

Annie Get Your Gun with Mary Martin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414September 22, 2020 8:14 PM

All My Sons with David Suchet and Zoe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415September 22, 2020 8:15 PM

Annie Get Your Gun with Dolores Gray.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 416September 22, 2020 8:17 PM

[quote]If this were a portrait of me, I would have shot the photographer in retaliation.

And yet it's possible the photographer did the very best possible for anyone with what he had to work.

Wyler was best known on Broadway for her part in Silk Stockings that Janis Paige played in the wonderful Freed film version.

Glorious Technicolor, breathtaking Cinemascope and stereophonic sound....

by Anonymousreply 417September 22, 2020 8:24 PM

[Quote] And yet it's possible the photographer did the very best possible for anyone with what he had to work.

Photography is your passion?

by Anonymousreply 418September 22, 2020 8:26 PM

Here's another 1970s shot of Wyler. It's much more flattering. The photographer did good work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419September 22, 2020 8:28 PM

Her looks was just fine...sheesh. I remember her and Miss Roth coming to my city in Reardon....but I didn't see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420September 22, 2020 8:57 PM

It's a shame Lillian Roth was finished in movies at such a young age. She would have been perfect to do much of Merman's oeuvre on screen, if she'd been in good health.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421September 22, 2020 9:07 PM

Wyler looks tall as well as leggy and curvy, a rare combo. She was probably a knockout onstage.

There's a long proud tradition of "jolie-laide" ladies on the. Broadway stage.

by Anonymousreply 422September 22, 2020 9:39 PM

With Buddy Hackett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423September 22, 2020 9:45 PM

Did Richard Rodgers produce any of her early productions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424September 22, 2020 9:46 PM

I could see Rigg getting the point that Martha has to be charming and sexy which is ... um .... lost on Imelda

by Anonymousreply 425September 22, 2020 11:14 PM

Wasn’t there a brand of lemonade called Wylers? I assumed Gretchen was the heiress of that company.

by Anonymousreply 426September 22, 2020 11:38 PM

Is that the famous “Beaver Callout” number she was famous for, R424? I’ve often wondered about it —

by Anonymousreply 427September 22, 2020 11:39 PM

[quote]Wasn’t there a brand of lemonade called Wylers? I assumed Gretchen was the heiress of that company.

Apparently not. Wyler was just her stage name. See R405/R406.

by Anonymousreply 428September 23, 2020 12:48 AM

I assume her autobiography is hard to find.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429September 23, 2020 12:52 AM

Gretchen Wyler sometimes appeared as a panelist on "To Tell the Truth." Here she is in a show from 1962.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 430September 23, 2020 1:01 AM

Somebody got this on eBay for $40.00.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431September 23, 2020 1:04 AM

Her Memorial Playbill...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432September 23, 2020 1:06 AM

She also appeared on a NY based sitcom called "On Our Own" in the late 70s created by Bob Randall, but I'll always remember her Eve Harrington story in the Broadway documentary.

by Anonymousreply 433September 23, 2020 1:08 AM

With Gene Rayburn in Birdie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434September 23, 2020 1:08 AM

Well...my goodness...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435September 23, 2020 1:11 AM

R95 No, the chipmunk cheeks lady was Jane Wyman, though a very talented actress (and a good singer, too).

by Anonymousreply 436September 23, 2020 1:11 AM

Judi had "As Time Goes By" which is great fun and "A Fun Romance" opposite her real-life husband, which was ok (just saw a few episodes).

by Anonymousreply 437September 23, 2020 1:13 AM

I believe they're referring to Cook's Hitchcock episode, r436. Anyway...

Press Photo Actress Gretchen Wyler in "An Evening With Gretchen Wyler"

This is an original press photo. Gretchen Wyler, a most artfully constructed young blonde, will enhance the television tube when she stars in a musical "An Evening With Gretchen Wyler." Gretchen, well-known to New York theatre audiences as a dancer, comedienne, and singer, has been featured on every musical variety series on TV in the last several years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438September 23, 2020 1:16 AM

"An Evening With Gretchen Wyler" sounds exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 439September 23, 2020 1:19 AM

R211 More proof that Eddie Ryan taught Fannie Brice everything she knows.

Well, maybe she did teach her her to pick her clothes.

by Anonymousreply 440September 23, 2020 1:30 AM

R437 A Fine Romance.

by Anonymousreply 441September 23, 2020 1:35 AM

I think "An Evening With Bombshell Betty" would have been even more exhausting, r439.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442September 23, 2020 1:41 AM

I saw Gretchen Wyler as Vera against Mariette Hartley's Mame in summer stock around 1990. She was the best thing in the show.

by Anonymousreply 443September 23, 2020 2:16 AM

Wasn’t she in Sly Fox by Larry Gelbart

by Anonymousreply 444September 23, 2020 2:44 AM

Gretchen Wyler was a meeskite, plain and simple.

[quote] She also appeared on a NY based sitcom called "On Our Own" in the late 70s created by Bob Randall

And if anyone would care to see a true forgotten 70s sitcom, it's currently on Amazon Prime. The entire first season/full series minus three episodes. It's pretty terrible but oddly compelling. Dixie Carter is a regular and she's a fucking hoot.

by Anonymousreply 445September 23, 2020 3:25 AM

Wyler slept with Cole Porter to get him to give her a song in Silk Stockings. The moment it was in her contract she cut him off. He took his revenge on her by writing Silk and Satin which she was forced to sing or she would have no solo number. To spite him she managed to make it a showstopper and she got the reviews stealing the show from Hildegarde, Don Ameche and Peter Lorre.

by Anonymousreply 446September 23, 2020 3:48 AM

Gretchen Wyler slept with Cole Porter? Wanna bet?

by Anonymousreply 447September 23, 2020 3:58 AM

r445 That's the show that introduced us to Bess Armstrong and Lynnie Green, later a DL fave for playing the young Dorothy Zbornak.

Fun fact: There was another short-lived sitcom with the same name that featured DL icon JUSSIE SMOLLETT!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448September 23, 2020 4:03 AM

[quote]Wyler slept with Cole Porter to get him to give her a song in Silk Stockings.

This story has a fundamental flaw.

by Anonymousreply 449September 23, 2020 4:33 AM

R446's post appears to be a lame attempt at parodying the well known story of Porter, Harold Lang and Kiss Me, Kate.

by Anonymousreply 450September 23, 2020 4:38 AM

A black and white version of The Hallmark Hall of Fame's wonderful abridged version of The Fantasticks has circulated widely for years. It was always assumed to a be a kinescope of the color broadcast but a commenter on youtube revealed a few years ago that it was actually a final rehearsal, taped in B&W to help the DOP and director make decisions on camera angles, transitions, etc.

At any rate a color version of the actual broadcast has recently surfaced and been posted to youtube by someone who helpfully cut in a few missing minutes with the equivalent footage from the B&W version. So here you are.... It is September.... Before a rainfall....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451September 23, 2020 4:49 AM

IIRC, Susan Watson did all the college workshops pre New York of The Fantasticks and was always the creators first choice for Louisa. But by the time the show finally reached New York off Broadway, she had done Bye, Bye Birdie and was no longer available. She's wonderful if not perfect but the extreme close ups around her eyes did her no favors at all.

by Anonymousreply 452September 23, 2020 6:36 AM

[quote]Mariette Hartley's Mame

I'm gonna be picking pieces of my brain off the floor and walls for months.

by Anonymousreply 453September 23, 2020 7:16 AM

I can top that, r453. I saw Mariette Hartley play Desiree in ALNM on the resuscitated Kenley Players circuit in the mid-80s.

by Anonymousreply 454September 23, 2020 12:21 PM

Who saw her as Mrs. Lovette?

by Anonymousreply 455September 23, 2020 12:44 PM

I can see her more as Desiree than as Mame. But I'm not disappointed that I saw her as neither.

by Anonymousreply 456September 23, 2020 1:52 PM

Thanks so much R 451! Bert Lahr and Stanley Holloway alone are worth it! They don`t make them like that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 457September 23, 2020 2:11 PM

Who saw Mariette's Hedda?

by Anonymousreply 458September 23, 2020 2:43 PM

I saw Mariette Hartley at the Delacorte in Shakespeare's KING JOHN. She played Constance and she was pretty good at it. If she can dance well, she can play Mame in that shitty musical.

by Anonymousreply 459September 23, 2020 2:49 PM

I never miss a Mariette Hartley musical.

by Anonymousreply 460September 23, 2020 2:50 PM

Mariette was NO Gretch.

by Anonymousreply 461September 23, 2020 2:53 PM

I HATE animals.

by Anonymousreply 462September 23, 2020 2:54 PM

Gretchen Wyler was the Karen Ziemba of her day. Both of them are just so darned... good.

by Anonymousreply 463September 23, 2020 2:54 PM

I think "The Gretch Who Stole Christmas" would have been a natural for a TV Special...

by Anonymousreply 464September 23, 2020 2:55 PM

Gretchen Wyler was no Dolores Gray.

by Anonymousreply 465September 23, 2020 2:56 PM

I loved my Gretch-a-Sketch when I was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 466September 23, 2020 3:04 PM

Dolores Gray was no Betty Bacall...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467September 23, 2020 3:05 PM

I had a Skitch-a-Sketch...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 468September 23, 2020 3:07 PM

[Quote] Her head was bigger for one thing

And Dot had pitch and range.

by Anonymousreply 469September 23, 2020 3:10 PM

And a bigger head, r469...

by Anonymousreply 470September 23, 2020 3:34 PM

How's my head?

by Anonymousreply 471September 23, 2020 3:37 PM

Watch the teeth, Dot...

by Anonymousreply 472September 23, 2020 3:50 PM

I did wonder about the Richard Rodgers' casting story here...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473September 23, 2020 3:53 PM

Oh dear God, 40 postings about Gretchen Wyler? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 474September 23, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote]I had a Skitch-a-Sketch...

My Stritch-a-Sketch pictures always seemed the same.

by Anonymousreply 475September 23, 2020 5:20 PM

Thank God it didn't come with speakers, r475!

by Anonymousreply 476September 23, 2020 5:39 PM

Seriously, r474...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477September 23, 2020 5:42 PM

Susan Johnson never got to record an album, did she? Shame.

by Anonymousreply 478September 23, 2020 5:46 PM

I searched and came up with this...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 479September 23, 2020 6:16 PM

Evita - The Making Of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480September 23, 2020 7:03 PM

Moon For The Misbegotten - with Jason and Colleen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481September 23, 2020 7:08 PM

The Met has cancelled their entire season and will not come back until a year from now, September 2021.

Expect the same for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 482September 23, 2020 7:08 PM

^ Fucking fuck, I miss the Met lots. Fuck.

Leonard Soloway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483September 23, 2020 7:10 PM

Cosi!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 484September 23, 2020 7:14 PM

The second time I saw Mariette Hartley on stage, it was as Frau Schneider in Cabaret at Studio 54, a much better fit than Mame. The most interesting thing about her Mame was when her skirt fell off in the middle of 'That's How Young I Feel'.

by Anonymousreply 485September 23, 2020 7:47 PM

Mariette would have made a good Miss Mona.

by Anonymousreply 486September 23, 2020 8:11 PM

R474 If you have a problem with 40 postings on Gretchen Wyler on a DL theater thread you might want to turn in your gay card.

by Anonymousreply 487September 23, 2020 8:14 PM

Chemistry...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488September 23, 2020 8:34 PM

Sooooo.....whatever happened to Aurora Spiderwoman?

by Anonymousreply 489September 23, 2020 8:36 PM

R489 he said a 'summer break'. But strange all the content is gone as well.

by Anonymousreply 490September 23, 2020 8:45 PM

Leonard Solloway is many things; nice is not among them.

by Anonymousreply 491September 23, 2020 8:48 PM

R491 Spill, please. Found it fascinating in the documentary they kept in the clip at the end when he hits on the twink waiter. No #MeToo for lenny.

by Anonymousreply 492September 23, 2020 9:00 PM

DL fave Robbie Fairchild now has a side business as a florist.

by Anonymousreply 493September 23, 2020 10:09 PM

Did Mariette give us a SUNSET BOULEVARD?

I don’t know if I’m excited or frightened to google it...

by Anonymousreply 494September 23, 2020 10:47 PM

Gretch in a pensive mood....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 495September 23, 2020 11:15 PM

[quote]Gretch in a pensive mood....

An yet all I notice are those big bazooms.

by Anonymousreply 496September 24, 2020 12:06 AM

That's the idea.

by Anonymousreply 497September 24, 2020 12:16 AM

Mariette Hartley as Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter" at the Colony Theatre in Burbank.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498September 24, 2020 12:18 AM

I vaguely recall Mariette Hartley appearing in "The King and I" somewhere. I think I saw a clip on "Entertainment Tonight." I didn't have the pleasure of seeing the actual performance.

by Anonymousreply 499September 24, 2020 12:29 AM

Where is her Phaedra? Her Mrs. Alving? Her Juliette’s Nurse?

We were robbed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500September 24, 2020 12:52 AM

Sunset Blvd

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501September 24, 2020 1:03 AM

IF you’re weary of Gretchen Wyler posts, we could shift to Karen Morrow or Nancy Dussault.

by Anonymousreply 502September 24, 2020 2:15 AM

What about Karen Akers?

by Anonymousreply 503September 24, 2020 2:54 AM

[quote]IF you’re weary of Gretchen Wyler posts, we could shift to Karen Morrow or Nancy Dussault.

Somethin' WRONG with Mariette Hartley?

by Anonymousreply 504September 24, 2020 3:08 AM

Mariette’s Mussy was her online name

by Anonymousreply 505September 24, 2020 3:11 AM

[quote]F you’re weary of Gretchen Wyler posts, we could shift to Karen Morrow or Nancy Dussault.

What am I, chopped liver?

by Anonymousreply 506September 24, 2020 3:15 AM

The gal could rock a caftan. And in the end, that’s what the [italic]true stars[/italic] are remembered for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507September 24, 2020 3:19 AM

I just looked up the Robbie Fairchild florist business. For $150-$250, he'll send you over a bunch of flowers (YOU supply the vase) and then will give you a vimeo tutorial on how to arrange them.

Really?

Also, he's got absolutely no body to speak of. He's an unformed twink twig.

by Anonymousreply 508September 24, 2020 4:39 AM

Thanks for that Moon for the Misbegotten R481. I've always wanted to see that.

by Anonymousreply 509September 24, 2020 1:43 PM

If Robbie delivers in the nude, I might be persuaded.

by Anonymousreply 510September 24, 2020 1:55 PM

Other NYC performing arts orgs will follow The Met and cancel through Fall 2021 -- Symphony, ABT, etc...Not a fun week.

by Anonymousreply 511September 24, 2020 2:01 PM

Aurora’s back...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512September 24, 2020 3:56 PM

Bless you, r512! Sutton, eat your heart out.

by Anonymousreply 513September 24, 2020 4:20 PM

Susan Johnson...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514September 24, 2020 5:03 PM

Caftan fever!

by Anonymousreply 515September 24, 2020 5:15 PM

Thank goodness this clip is back. Theatricality at its finest...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516September 24, 2020 5:43 PM

Lucky Stiff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517September 24, 2020 6:40 PM

John.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518September 24, 2020 6:42 PM

The Mystery of Charles Dickens.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519September 24, 2020 6:43 PM

R516 it says that it played in the National Theatre/Lyttelton, but didn't it play the Olivier?

by Anonymousreply 520September 24, 2020 6:45 PM

Sweet Charity - 1986 - House Cam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521September 24, 2020 6:45 PM

Mariette Hartley was a perfectly pleasant performer - but aside from commercials I imagine she was about the 4th choice for every role she landed (?).

I just can’t imagine producers screaming, [italic], “Get me Hartley OR ELSE...!”

by Anonymousreply 522September 24, 2020 8:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523September 24, 2020 8:22 PM

Mmmm...R523, Jacob Morris is a hot silver daddy.

by Anonymousreply 524September 24, 2020 8:39 PM

[quote]My understanding (and someone please correct me if I’m wrong) is that it’s not about theatre rental; the production has already been in the theatre for weeks prior to tech rehearsals. It’s about the actors. Six 12 hour days is cheaper than nine 8 hour days because the Union makes allowances for 10 out of 12s. This might also be the case with IATSE. I don’t know.

Thanks. If that's the actual reason, I think it's ridiculous, and it points up the stupidity of whatever union has those rules.

by Anonymousreply 525September 24, 2020 8:40 PM

[quote]So apparently none of you work in the theatre. The reason for 10/12s has always been for the good of the whole. As someone above wrote, its incredibly intense time of coordination, communication , and stage management, sound, lights, sets, costumes all trying to learn/create their show. To do that, they need long, concentrated hours, and you need to be together for long stretches because so many questions, etc come up.

Some of us DO understand how tech rehearsals works, but you still haven't explained why it's better to do have, say, three12-hour tech rehearsals than four eight-hour tech rehearsals, and why the former allows more "concentration" than the latter. As someone else wisely said, there is probably less concentration on everyone's part at the end of each long day, as fatigue starts to set in. So if you could explain yourself a little better that would be appreciated. (P.S. I certainly do agree that the length of those rehearsals has absolutely nothing to do with BIPOC issues.)

by Anonymousreply 526September 24, 2020 8:48 PM

[quote]The quality is so much better than the Broadway Theatre Archive version that was commercially released.

Really? Both look the same to me, but I'm sure we all still appreciate the link.

by Anonymousreply 527September 24, 2020 8:52 PM

R380, I know at least one track, "The Party's Over," is heard in two different takes on the mono and stereo BELLS ARE RINGING. Holliday's singing on the mono version is much softer and sweeter. And as we all know, at least one song -- "Cornet Man" -- is heard in two different takes on the mono and stereo versions of FUNNY GIRL. I'm really not sure why they did that. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 528September 24, 2020 9:06 PM

[quote]A black and white version of The Hallmark Hall of Fame's wonderful abridged version of The Fantasticks has circulated widely for years. It was always assumed to a be a kinescope of the color broadcast but a commenter on youtube revealed a few years ago that it was actually a final rehearsal, taped in B&W to help the DOP and director make decisions on camera angles, transitions, etc. At any rate a color version of the actual broadcast has recently surfaced and been posted to youtube by someone who helpfully cut in a few missing minutes with the equivalent footage from the B&W version.

R451, I'm pretty sure the black and white version is a kinescope of the actual broadcast that's now available in color. I noticed years ago in watching the B&W version that Susan Watson starts to sing just a bit behind the beat in one part of "Much More" (the "I'd like to dance till two o'clock" part), and it's the same in the color version.

by Anonymousreply 529September 24, 2020 9:35 PM

Wow, that house cam video of Sweet Charity is awful. What the hell were they shooting it for? You can't see a thing.

Unfortunately you can still hear Ann Reinking's terrible performance.

by Anonymousreply 530September 24, 2020 10:53 PM

R530 So true.

by Anonymousreply 531September 24, 2020 11:46 PM

I find it hard to see Bert Lahr as the father of John Davidson.

by Anonymousreply 532September 25, 2020 12:06 AM

R512 Why are the audience applauding at 2m25s? Were 80s audiences really that impressed by a stage elevator? No wonder the helicopter in Miss Saigon blew people's minds.

On a similar note, why do people always applaud during the middle of Hot Honey Rag? Am I missing the part that's meant to be so special it merits applause? Or is it just because they look at the audience?

by Anonymousreply 533September 25, 2020 2:03 AM

Wow. I didn’t realize Reinking was doing her Gwen impression as early as Charity. Except that Gwen in 1966 still sang okay-ish, certainly far better than Reinking did in 1986.

by Anonymousreply 534September 25, 2020 4:07 AM

Show Girl with Carol Channing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 535September 25, 2020 7:02 PM

On Stage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 536September 25, 2020 7:05 PM

Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537September 25, 2020 7:07 PM

Jason Robert brown concert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538September 25, 2020 7:11 PM

Why, whatever do you mean, r532?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539September 25, 2020 9:21 PM

It's the synchronization, r533.

by Anonymousreply 540September 25, 2020 9:31 PM

"On a similar note, why do people always applaud during the middle of Hot Honey Rag? Am I missing the part that's meant to be so special it merits applause? Or is it just because they look at the audience?"

The applause is usually started by people associated with the show .

by Anonymousreply 541September 25, 2020 9:40 PM

R540 I assumed as much, maybe it's just me but it doesn't seem all that applause-worthy though.

R541 The only thing stopping me from believing this is the thought of the Weisslers holding tickets off sale

by Anonymousreply 542September 26, 2020 12:16 AM

Thank you so much, r536! I was the president of the Maggie Garland Fan Club! She was swell!

by Anonymousreply 543September 26, 2020 1:05 AM

Attempt it with a partner and get back to me, r542.

by Anonymousreply 544September 26, 2020 3:16 AM

R544 I assume you've never criticised a meal at a restaurant unless you've cooked it once before?

by Anonymousreply 545September 26, 2020 3:18 AM

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 546September 26, 2020 3:21 AM

R542, you never heard of ushers ? They and others associated with the production start the applause and the audience follows.

by Anonymousreply 547September 26, 2020 12:03 PM

Love the "Odile" act of the MB Swan Lake. Swans don't get any badder than that one. Brian Kinney as swan.

by Anonymousreply 548September 26, 2020 12:19 PM

The Hot Honey Rag was an exceptional show stopper. Applause did not need encouragement from anyone.

by Anonymousreply 549September 26, 2020 1:48 PM

The Hot Honey Rag is not that great. Not that interesting to watch, so it really just coasts on the feeling you have for the characters after 2and a half hours.

But watch it out of context and you see how threadbare the choreography is. That weird curved jump that Fosse put in every show--you knew with only a few minutes left it had to show up here too!

by Anonymousreply 550September 26, 2020 2:31 PM

I think The Hot Honey Rag is fantastic, both Fosse’s stage version and Rob Marshall’s shorter movie version. Oddly, one of the best danced versions is Tony Yazbeck and Michael Barresse in one of those “Miscast” shows. They are terrific, & the choreography (Fosse’s original) is dynamite and quite exciting.

by Anonymousreply 551September 26, 2020 8:09 PM

^ If only it was online to share....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552September 26, 2020 8:59 PM

I’ve had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 553September 26, 2020 11:09 PM

The clip R552 posted is great to see how empty the choreography are. The two guys are great dancers and their performance is terrific. But the choreography is not supporting them---they are supporting it.

I realize that a lot of the Broadway choreographers did not develop because they only did a show every year or two or three. So they could get away repeating themselves, since the audience would not have a detailed memory of their last few shows. Meanwhile Balanchine, Robbins. Graham, Taylor etc were showing so much new work every year that they had to develop or lose their audience.

by Anonymousreply 554September 26, 2020 11:22 PM

Robbins

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555September 26, 2020 11:34 PM

Romantics Anonymous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556September 26, 2020 11:53 PM

I'll definitely have to watch this tonight...

THAT GIRL

TONIGHT, 8:30 PM 30 MIN 1968

SEASON 3 • EPISODE 10 • THE SEVENTH TIME AROUND • COMEDY / SITCOM

Don's friendship with wealthy---and much-married---Trixie Weatherby (Benay Venuta) has Ann seething. Ann: Marlo Thomas. Don: Ted Bessell. Earl: Ivor Barry...

by Anonymousreply 557September 27, 2020 12:15 AM

[quote] Romantics Anonymous.

Ooh, lovely, thanks. I had a ticket for this at the Annenberg in late March and the production was canceled because of the Covid.

by Anonymousreply 558September 27, 2020 2:45 AM

My goodness, Benay was SO coarse and brassy!

by Anonymousreply 559September 27, 2020 4:33 PM

Oh, Mare...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560September 27, 2020 6:14 PM

More contemporary performers: Sing, Sing, Sing by high schoolers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 561September 27, 2020 6:41 PM

[quote]I think The Hot Honey Rag is fantastic,

I agree, and I'm surprised that anyone disagrees. Then again, this is the DataLounge....

Anyway, aside from how one feels about the quality of the choreography in the number, I'm sure a MAJOR reason why the audience tends to burst into applause during it is that it's the final number in the show AND the first and only time the two stars have danced together throughout the entire performance. Isn't that an obvious reason for the applause -- obvious to anyone with a brain, at least?

by Anonymousreply 562September 27, 2020 7:10 PM

Wow, r561! Now I want to see them do Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar.

by Anonymousreply 563September 27, 2020 7:11 PM

R562 How insecure in your own opinions are you that you have to pretend anyone who doesn't share them is brainless?

And the applause always comes at the same point, so it's not like it's just spontaneous at the joy of seeing them dance together. Nor is it at the first time they synchronise, nor is it at a particularly challenging part of the routine - one is walking behind the other and they're sticking their arms out, that particular moment is hardly impressive, and yet always gets applause.

by Anonymousreply 564September 27, 2020 7:46 PM

Well, r564, some obviously *do* find it impressive.

by Anonymousreply 565September 27, 2020 8:09 PM

No thank you...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566September 27, 2020 8:39 PM

Have some of you stooped so low that you have to question why some people applaud a great number from two stars?

by Anonymousreply 567September 27, 2020 9:43 PM

Well, If it's true that the applause in the "Hot Honey Rag" always seems to come in the same place, and not necessarily the most exciting part of the number, then I think it's a fair question to ask why that happens. I haven't seen thatmany live performances of CHICAGO to have noticed if this is true. I wouldn't put it past the Weisslers to have one or two hired people in the audience to start applause at that point, if that's what someone's implying.

by Anonymousreply 568September 27, 2020 9:52 PM

Better copy of Romantic Anonymous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569September 27, 2020 10:16 PM

Wrestling with Angels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570September 27, 2020 10:18 PM

R567 Ugh, no, I'm not questioning why people would applaud a number, I'm questioning why a specific spot always seems to get applause. But instead that's somehow been twisted into me being brainless and hating the number, when actually it's the opposite. It's the very fact I like the number which led to me watching different videos of it, and noticing the applause always at the same spot.

For anyone curious, I've linked to the Tony performance to the moment I'm talking about - 2m08s if the timestamp doesn't work. It gets applause at the same time during the performance of HHR in Fosse, at the My Favorite Broadway concert, and so on.

In fact, the same spot gets applause in performances by Chita and Gwen, so this isn't the Weisslers doing - and in fact the Chita and Gwen version on that particular moment is less impressive than the revival, as they're further apart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571September 27, 2020 10:20 PM

The Cherry Orchard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572September 27, 2020 10:21 PM

And the Gwen/Chita version getting the same applause at the same spot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573September 27, 2020 10:21 PM

Why do people always applaud -- and not just at the theater -- when the ensemble breaks into a kick line?

by Anonymousreply 574September 27, 2020 10:22 PM

[quote] For anyone curious, I've linked to the Tony performance to the moment I'm talking about - 2m08s if the timestamp doesn't work. It gets applause at the same time during the performance of HHR in Fosse, at the My Favorite Broadway concert, and so on.

I can explain the applause for the Tony performance: the audience was eagerly anticipating the moment when Ann steps on Bebe's foot at 2:17.

by Anonymousreply 575September 27, 2020 10:37 PM

It's the synchronicity, dammit! I don't care if if you don't get why that gets the applause there. It's hard to do...sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 576September 27, 2020 11:25 PM

One of the worst bits in the Season 1 finale of Smash was when the audience applauds in the middle of Karen’s performance of “Don’t Forget Me.” It’s supposed to be a fucking tryout in Boston, not American Idol. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 577September 27, 2020 11:39 PM

#TeamKaren for SMASH.

Sorry not sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 578September 28, 2020 12:24 AM

[quote]In fact, the same spot gets applause in performances by Chita and Gwen, so this isn't the Weisslers doing - and in fact the Chita and Gwen version on that particular moment is less impressive than the revival, as they're further apart.

Fair enough. So if it's not the Weisslers' doing, and if that same moment has gotten applause in several different performances over the years, what do YOU think is the reason for it if it's not just a spontaneous reaction on the part of the audience? I'm thinking it IS a spontaneous reaction on the part of the audience, because the two of them doing that step together does look great even if it's not the most difficult dancing in the number by far.

by Anonymousreply 579September 28, 2020 2:46 AM

R579 If I had an idea I wouldn't be asking, would I? I was wondering if it was some kind of reference or tribute I wasn't getting, but clearly not. I guess it is spontaneous then. Just spontaneously happens at the exact same spot every time. Such a bizarre amount of hostility from some posters here for such an innocuous question.

I guess Broadway audiences were similarly spontaneously moved to applause by a stage elevator moving Patti LuPone down by a couple of feet.

by Anonymousreply 580September 28, 2020 4:32 AM

I love all these people who think that applause in the middle of a dance number is a repeated spontaneous phenomena.

Do they think every audience at the Messiah for the last two hundred years have just spontaneously stood for the Hallelujah Chorus because they are so moved by the music?

by Anonymousreply 581September 28, 2020 11:54 AM

If it happens at every performance for every pair of actresses in the roles, that tells you the applause comes from either custom or an usher starting the applause.

by Anonymousreply 582September 28, 2020 11:56 AM

People start applauding in a certain place in that number for the same reason that applause happens in A Chorus Line in the big finale when they all join in the circle. It’s a build up of the difficulty of the choreography and the showiness of the technique required to get through that part and it works perfectly with the music.

The dull pedant who keeps arguing about this is a moron and a troll. Stop engaging it. Hot Honey Rag is a fucking classic, so shut the fuck up. The Weisslers hiring people to start applause. Lol. Are you a complete fucking retard? The Weisslers are so cheap they barely pay scale. You think they are hiring audience members?? Ahhahaha just stop.

by Anonymousreply 583September 28, 2020 1:12 PM

You do not "hire" anyone to start applause. You just let the staff know where you want it.

And when I saw the tour of Chicago, it was definitely the two concession guys who started the applause there.

by Anonymousreply 584September 28, 2020 2:37 PM

And the ghost of Carol Channing’s husband.

by Anonymousreply 585September 28, 2020 3:43 PM

Re the applause? For the love of Jesus, LET IT GO!

by Anonymousreply 586September 28, 2020 4:38 PM

Chicago! No HHR Dammit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 587September 28, 2020 6:39 PM

title of show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 588September 28, 2020 6:40 PM

Cav Pag. Do people watch Operas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 589September 28, 2020 6:49 PM

Present Laughter - NO, not that one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590September 28, 2020 6:57 PM

The production of CAV/PAG linked to by R589 is shockingly bad in terms of the direction and the production itself, especially the "sets," so if you're going to watch it for that reason, don't.

by Anonymousreply 591September 28, 2020 9:47 PM

Isn't it the Encores production?

by Anonymousreply 592September 28, 2020 10:17 PM

Lily

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 593September 28, 2020 10:29 PM

Diction, PATRICIA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 594September 29, 2020 2:57 AM

I don’t understand this obsession with the audience applauding that moment in Hot Honey. Who cares? The audience found it exciting. Whatever. I didn’t notice Ann stepping on Bebe’s foot, but I did notice how much better Ann’s dancing is.

by Anonymousreply 595September 29, 2020 7:23 AM

She’s not stepping on her foot. It’s a really weird step that has this strange little toe point added to it. It looks like she’s goofing ‘ then recovering, but she’s not.

by Anonymousreply 596September 29, 2020 7:26 AM

Hot Honey is the 11 o'clock number of Chicago. People applaud. What is your favorite 11 o'clock number? Here are some picks from the staff at todaytix.com:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 597September 29, 2020 12:13 PM

From Playbill:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598September 29, 2020 12:14 PM

Another voice heard from:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599September 29, 2020 12:16 PM

The answer is Rose's Turn for best 11 o'clock number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600September 29, 2020 12:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!