Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I got laid off today

On top of all the rest of it. This is just no way to live.

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2020 9:42 AM

That sucks. :(

by Anonymousreply 1September 15, 2020 5:12 AM

I'm sorry, OP.

by Anonymousreply 2September 15, 2020 5:14 AM

And then?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 15, 2020 5:14 AM

Better days ahead, OP, I promise. And I am sorry to hear your bad news

by Anonymousreply 4September 15, 2020 5:15 AM

Well, at least you have that covid era financial support from the government.

Oh wait, Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 5September 15, 2020 5:17 AM

I'm sorry. Give yourself a minute to catch your breath, then file for unemployment, if you qualify. My brother enjoyed collecting unemployment after working his ass off for years. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 6September 15, 2020 5:19 AM

Sorry OP. Hope things look up for you soon. Take care

by Anonymousreply 7September 15, 2020 5:21 AM

OP, I'm so sorry.

I've been there. I was laid off almost 5 years ago.

I cam here; got surprising support.

I rebounded; I'm making almost 40% more than I did back then AND earlier this year the place I was laid off from went under so had I stayed, I'd be out now.

Good things can happen. Stay strong.

by Anonymousreply 8September 15, 2020 5:22 AM

I’m sorry OP. I know you’re hurting now. I also know you are resilient no matter how it seems now. Be gentle with yourself. You were too good for that place anyway! ((( )))

by Anonymousreply 9September 15, 2020 5:22 AM

I got laid today. MMF.

by Anonymousreply 10September 15, 2020 5:30 AM

R8 is right, I got laid off once at a very bad time and then hired at a much better (for me) job before my unemployment expired. Also, the nepotismic guy they hired got fired a few months later 'cause no one could stand him.

Better days ahead.

by Anonymousreply 11September 15, 2020 5:38 AM

When I first glanced at your caption I thought it said, "I Got Laid Today." There's a joke in there somewhere Op and despite your circumstances I hope you can still laugh.

by Anonymousreply 12September 15, 2020 5:40 AM

R12, see R10.

by Anonymousreply 13September 15, 2020 5:40 AM

Sorry to read, OP. Hang in there OP. I recommend you go to bed as soon as you can. A good night’s sleep helps.

by Anonymousreply 14September 15, 2020 5:44 AM

You got this, OP! Yes, right now it feels awful and it's ok to feel whatever you feel. Give yourself some time to rest, then take action. Things will turn around sooner than you think.

by Anonymousreply 15September 15, 2020 5:46 AM

R14 and don't start living at night, my friend ended up spending her night streaming tv series and sleeping during the day, not good for your social life...

by Anonymousreply 16September 15, 2020 5:46 AM

Years ago I got fired from a job and my parents and my brother were horrified. It wasn't the best time for me. I moved 100's of miles away to recuperate, be by myself, and think things out.

7 months later I came back home and eventually found the lifelong job that I retired from. And by the way the other job was a prestige shit job that would have led nowhere. It all turned out for the best, which things usually do.

by Anonymousreply 17September 15, 2020 5:48 AM

I'm sorry to hear this, op.

I don't want to blow smoke up your ass and say "it will get better." Because it very well might not.

But I wish you the best, and I hope that you have something to fall back on (savings, family, etc.).

If not, then as someone else mentioned, give yourself a week or so to be pissed, angry, sad, and whatever else you need to feel.

Then pick yourself back up, get on that horse, and keep going.

It's all we can do these days.

by Anonymousreply 18September 15, 2020 5:53 AM

So sorry OP. Take some time to focus on yourself. Also, look in to apply for unemployment. I heard people are having lots of problems, so do not wait until the last minute. I know it's hard thing to process.

Vote all republicans out of office for this. Kick the criminal grifters Trump cunts out of the white house to the curb.

You have the POWER to take away their power to hurt you and others.

by Anonymousreply 19September 15, 2020 5:59 AM

OP here. Thanks, everyone. This isn't where I imagined myself to be at 45 with two Master's and 24 years of solid work experience under my belt. Feeling pretty sideswiped tonight. I'll file for unemployment tomorrow, take a few days to lick my wounds, then get back up and start the search all over again.

What sucks is I left a really solid career to take a chance on this new job only a year ago. Goddammit.

by Anonymousreply 20September 15, 2020 7:15 AM

Oh OP that’s awful. It’s absolutely no compensation to you but I was laid off three months ago. What I can give you are some tips (note that I don’t live in the USA so I’ll keep benefits- and healthcare-related stuff a bit generic - just ignore where not applicable) which I wish that I’d had back in June.

Apply for whatever financial support that you’re entitled to ASAP. This will feel like the last thing that you’ll want to do but push yourself if you can. I put this off for three months (didn’t think I could face it) and ended up missing on on a lot of $ so am kicking myself now. It’ll also be good to get a milestone done early.

“One step at a time” is my mantra - when I get panicked about the future I revert to this, break what I need to do into sequential pieces and then tick them off where I can.

Keep to your former sleep pattern. It will be tempting to stay up late/sleep late or go to bed early/wake early - either will leave you feeling jet lagged and disconnected from the real world.

DON’T self medicate! I did this for two months (pills and booze). It costs a lot and only makes you feel good for a while. It stacks on the weight. Fucks up your physical and mental health and makes it easy to avoid doing stuff (see above). Just don’t do it, especially the booze. By the time that I stopped in August I was drinking four bottles of wine per day starting at breakfast. Scary stuff.

Get as much exercise as you can fit in - we are in Stage 3 lockdown here and I’ve been self isolating since March but I make the most of every opportunity. Ymmv of course depending on where you live.

Limit your screen time - phone/tablet/TV. For me it was another avoidance mechanism. Now I ration it.

Ditto to actively searching for a new role. Again, ymmv but there are so few jobs and so many applicants for each role here that I made the call to leave it through to January. For me it was just too stressful. It’s a moot point as in this country there are very few real jobs being advertised. I get approached by recruiters every day but the jobs don’t exist here - they’re just looking to build up their LinkedIn networks. Predatory cunts.

tl;dr for many I’m sure and it’s all pretty much common sense but I’m a smart person and common sense didn’t prevail for me from June to August. Maybe some of the above will help a little.

Good luck and stay strong OP.

by Anonymousreply 21September 15, 2020 7:30 AM

Hello, OP. To echo the sentiments of everybody else, I'm sorry this happened. I hope you're eligible for unemployment. File for it today. Then sozzle yourself into a nice coma. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 22September 15, 2020 7:35 AM

I hear you. Ppp ended 1.5 mos ago. My industry has been cancelled. 6 weeks now my ui has been "processed" money in bank?? Yet No real hiring till January such fun. Just taking it easy for the next few months.

by Anonymousreply 23September 15, 2020 7:52 AM

Head to Las Vegas

by Anonymousreply 24September 15, 2020 7:54 AM

I got laid today

by Anonymousreply 25September 15, 2020 7:57 AM

I've unemployed for 5 months. And next month will be the last month I am able to collect dole. If I can't find a job, then I'm toast.

by Anonymousreply 26September 15, 2020 7:59 AM

My partner's ex got laid off - a nasty cunt who deserved it - but I'm sorry that it happened to you OP.

by Anonymousreply 27September 15, 2020 8:06 AM

I was laid off too, Mach 12, 2010.

I did work six months & a Christmas at Macy’s in 2014, but I don’t count it really.

by Anonymousreply 28September 15, 2020 8:36 AM

Sorry OP, how are you feeling?

by Anonymousreply 29September 15, 2020 9:45 AM

Hi, R29, well it's nearly 3 am here and I couldn't sleep. Lots of anxiety dreams. I know being on a screen in the middle of the night wreaks havoc but here we are. I'm pretty despondent.

by Anonymousreply 30September 15, 2020 9:56 AM

[quote]What sucks is I left a really solid career to take a chance on this new job only a year ago. Goddammit.

OP I did the same thing years ago I had a good career and a path for advancement in my company. I left to join a company in a different field that seemed like a good career move but it turned out to be a disaster and left after s year to go back to my old career. The experience I received boosted my credentials in my old field and higher positions were open to me.

Hang in there and relax your time off will be short.

by Anonymousreply 31September 15, 2020 10:10 AM

after 1 year^^

by Anonymousreply 32September 15, 2020 10:11 AM

R31 we have similar experience at work, a consulting firm, where people leave to come back after some times, it's not considered a failure, but more like work experience outside the company. Contact them and let them now you are available, even as an independent (I know nothing of your job), you never know. You just have to be able to present your last experience as "positive" (yes, I know, it's difficult).

Don't cry at the first job interview you will manage to get like I did, it's not a good selling point. (I got fired for incompetence, it tends to kill your self esteem)

by Anonymousreply 33September 15, 2020 10:35 AM

I'm sorry this has happened OP just know you aren't alone x

by Anonymousreply 34September 15, 2020 10:39 AM

Best Wishes OP. I think R33 has smart advice reaching out to your former company, especially if you had a long and successful career there. Is there a possibility your employer would hire you back, if things are better with the economy? I know it's rare, but some I've known have been laid off temporarily.

Look into different ways you can economise now, rather than later. The idea being to preserve your savings as much as possible, even if you did plan an emergency fund. Unless you are very thrifty by nature (most Americans I know are NOT) there are probably many things and expenses you can cut back on. It will empower you to do so, and take your mind off feeling sorry for yourself. If you've never lived on a sparse budget before, watch some YouTube vids for tips on thrifty recipes, and food hauls. Meanwhile, do not make any unnecessary purchases. Sending you a big hug mate.

by Anonymousreply 35September 15, 2020 11:19 AM

Sorry to hear that, OP. That is a bummer. You sound intelligent, and you've got a good education. Your outlook seems focused. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 36September 15, 2020 11:22 AM

Catch your breath, file for unemployment, take care of yourself, and that's enough to do right now. What was your job?

by Anonymousreply 37September 15, 2020 11:24 AM

OP here, thank you everyone for your kind words. I half-expected to get lambasted on here as per usual DL style, so this has been a welcome and needed salve.

I spent the early morning hours (because I didn't sleep much) cancelling subscriptions and making a list of companies to call to negotiate new bills/services like cell phone and cable. I've also sworn off all delivery apps and have every intention of NOT using Amazon so heavily.

R37, I spent the bulk of my career in the tech sector, then was woo'd away last summer by a former colleague who went to a non-profit start-up. First few months were great, then covid hit and we lost all our funding. I took a risk. Who knew it would have all ended up like this.

by Anonymousreply 38September 15, 2020 1:34 PM

[quote] I was laid off too, Mach 12, 2010.

Well that was fast.

by Anonymousreply 39September 15, 2020 2:04 PM

Tech sector. OK. Can you create TikToks with your best advice, with links for brands to hire you for consultations? Covid inspired. Not sure what part of the tech sector you were in. If you specify, I can give some suggested topics.

It's hard, it feels scary. Everyone is in a similar boat so now's the time to rely on transparency to ask your network for any help in getting projects or a job. Ask or even ask how others have dealt with this, maybe on LinkedIn? That's where this conversation can be framed as a professional question (even though it has so many personal ramifications).

by Anonymousreply 40September 15, 2020 3:11 PM

Better things are ahead for you, OP. In the meantime, I hope you're eligible for unemployment compensation. Good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 41September 15, 2020 3:11 PM

OP, you can blame Covid for the loss of your job, contact your former company and let them know you are available, even on a temps basis, they know you and what you are capable of, they don't need to spend any money recruitment, and when the economy comes back to normal you're in their mind for the rehiring. If you can find an online training you could register to show you are keeping busy, and it help not to lost your mind (I just watched TV/internet all day, not good)

by Anonymousreply 42September 15, 2020 3:53 PM

Gettin laid

by Anonymousreply 43September 16, 2020 12:21 AM

OP I was laid off too. It’s a struggle for sure; there’s a lot of very good advice here for you, especially contacting your former employer

My suggestion is to contact everyone in your professional network, tell them that because of COVID you’re available, and ask for their help

I’m pulling for you. You can get through this.

by Anonymousreply 44September 16, 2020 1:02 AM

OP, please visit Monday Morning Moos. You will resist, I’m sure, but you’ll feel better. Adopt a cow and come!

by Anonymousreply 45September 16, 2020 1:11 AM

OP, it just occurred to me that getting laid off is a big loss. So, the five stages blah blah blah.. Shock/Anger... whatever. But right now you're in shock. It will wear off and you'll begin to think clearly. My words of encouragement for today.

by Anonymousreply 46September 16, 2020 2:14 AM

Sorry OP, hope you got severance

by Anonymousreply 47September 16, 2020 2:15 AM

[quote] OP, please visit Monday Morning Moos. You will resist, I’m sure, but you’ll feel better. Adopt a cow and come! —Penelope the cow, moo

Here's the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48September 16, 2020 3:12 AM

I was 'laid off' three times in my 25 year career.

It is becoming more and more normal.

by Anonymousreply 49September 16, 2020 3:16 AM

Kiko, I guess, failed at an weird guest request and a shitload of miscommunication. Why fire him over this? Maybe fixed the meals that guest can order?

Now Tom, needs everyone's help and loses his shit on cucumbers and avocado snacks. He cannot do the snacks.

by Anonymousreply 50September 16, 2020 4:26 AM

Didn't read through all the comments, but i'm sorry this has happened to you. i live each and every day worrying about this as well as i'm in the mortgage business, they are constantly expecting more volume from us that we can't possibly fulfill. i won't receive any government relief for reasons. luckily i have 12k in the bank in case it happens. at that point, i am leaving this state for an easier economy and moving on (possibly another country would even work). i hope you can make a change and things look better for you. <3

by Anonymousreply 51September 16, 2020 4:59 AM

OP, do something every day that is a connection with someone in your field (preferably the field that can earn you money, technology; nonprofits are hurting); do some kind of exercise. Look for Taskrabbit jobs, maybe look into deliveries. Something , not nothing, every day. It's really hard, and the physical isolation makes it worse but find people to maybe make an appointment with you, one a week, so your calendar has stuff to look forward to. Can you help with online tutoring? Bunch of parents need distractions and might throw money at you. What can you teach? Brainstorm. If you want to list some skills here, we can help think up ways for you to make some money.

by Anonymousreply 52September 16, 2020 10:28 PM

OP here. I picked up some under-the-table freelance work. And I've been trying to apply for unemployment since Monday and the damn site keeps crashing, over and over and over.

I'm not so much looking for job help here, I can take care of that on my own.

I was looking more for emotional support. I can't believe I'm saying that about DL, but I've found it here. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 53September 17, 2020 5:13 AM

R53 Emotional support is very important. You are not alone. Reach out to other people. And may God and the Universe richly bless you.

And remember that some day this will all just be a distant memory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54September 17, 2020 5:29 AM

Congrats on the freelance work, OP! You've got to admit, within days of being laid off you were able to find something. That says a lot for your skills and your luck. Keep it up...

by Anonymousreply 55September 17, 2020 5:49 AM

I was laid off once in a mass, though drawn-out, lay-off of all the “temporary contractors”. They were laying-off 2 of us every two week, so it wasn’t a surprise when I eventually got my notice and it didn’t hurt too much.

Funny thing, this one guy told a group of us that I was on the list for the next upcoming round of lay-offs. I freaked. “Where did you hear that!!!” I exclaimed. He replied, “From you!” He was right, I had speculated to him that I was next.

Not funny thing: Another guy there was laid-off the day he got back from his honeymoon. He was really immature for an engineering graduate in the workplace, so he went fairly early in the lay-off process . But that was a shock for them because they spent everything they had on their wedding and honeymoon. The layoffs started well before the wedding, so he should have known to moderate his spending, but he was too immature.

All this was in the early 1980s recession, but I still remember it well. It was impossible to find jobs then. My sister, brother, and I were all looking at the same time and really had trouble finding jobs.

by Anonymousreply 56September 18, 2020 12:53 AM

I can't offer emotionl support as I lack a soul but I can offer you a bj with swallow!

by Anonymousreply 57September 18, 2020 12:55 AM

I was fired once or twice, it’s complicated; and also left a job after10 years when it moved out of state and I chose severance, over relocation. I did not take these well at all.

I did have two different employers literally moan out loud when I told them I was voluntarily quitting to change jobs, and that was satisfying. I felt appreciated that my work was valued.

by Anonymousreply 58September 18, 2020 1:02 AM

Sorry to hear that, love. Really hope you land in your feet.

by Anonymousreply 59September 18, 2020 1:05 AM

[quote] I did have two different employers literally moan out loud

You consider your Johns employers?

by Anonymousreply 60September 18, 2020 1:07 AM

Oh, r60, the set-up was too easy. I feel like Bud Abbot to your Lou Costello.

by Anonymousreply 61September 18, 2020 1:10 AM

R43 [quote] Gettin laid

It’s the bomb digidy

by Anonymousreply 62September 18, 2020 1:38 AM

I’m sorry OP. As others have said, take a breath, assess your financials, file for unemployment if you can. It’s what I did, it’s what a lot of us have done.

It wasn’t long until I realized I could manage, and I did, and got to a place even better than before. I look back on that time fondly as a turn for the better for me. And I wasn’t well established in a career, yet I wasn’t especially young.

Let us know your progress. I think there’s a lot of wisdom here to support you.

by Anonymousreply 63September 18, 2020 1:49 AM

Please keep us posted, OP. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 64September 18, 2020 3:07 AM

Actually, R60, a Navy representative stopped by my desk to tell me that two DARPA proposals I had submitted were approved. This meant that two naval engineering projects I proposed were to be funded, and their expectation was that I would work on the projects myself. Anyway, I said to him, “Well, I guess this is a bad time to tell you that I just gave notice.” That’s when he moaned. They were big projects at the time, in the hundreds of thousands of dollar range, in the mid 1980s. It was very prestigious to be awarded a DARPA project, and to learn that the originator of the project would not be working on it, as expected, upended things, but I told him my replacement was well qualified and would do a good job, and so forth.

A few years after I left that job, a former co-worker there went to a conference in Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, Is and the Navy rep at the conference referred to something we co-write some years earlier as “the Bible” on a certain technology. We laughed about it because the so-called bible was mostly just blowing smoke. I referenced the hell out of it like a college paper, with 28 references, but a close look at the references would show they were mostly old sources, not anything cutting edge. But it [italic] looked [/italic] really good. I still have a copy of it on my bookshelf. I just looked at and it certainly does looks impressive.

I miss that job. It was many years ago but I did really good, inventive work while I was there. But, I had to move to a city with a Gay culture, so I had to leave that podunk naval town.

by Anonymousreply 65September 18, 2020 8:34 AM

That job was were I became friends with this old guy who I recently googled. All I knew at the time was that he spent some time in a Japanese prisoner of war camp. I didn’t ask about it, because I assumed it was a horror story, anyway, I googled him recently and I learned that he was the son of the last Governor General of the Dutch East Indies. That’s like being the son of a US President.

I’m sorry I strayed off topic but I miss having a job where I felt like I did some cool things. I later became a software engineer and had some good accomplishments, but it was much more boring work, than the work I did as a submarine design and construction engineer.

I also knew a woman who was in a NAZI concentration camp, too. I guess most of the people who had been in those camps are mostly all gone, now.

by Anonymousreply 66September 18, 2020 8:52 AM

Why are you laying on job? Maybe a reason to tell you off? Learn from errs.

by Anonymousreply 67September 18, 2020 9:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!