Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Adele Under Fire For Cultural Appropriation

Her hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309December 3, 2020 11:39 PM

I love it when attempts to be woke blow up in people's faces.

by Anonymousreply 1August 31, 2020 2:24 AM

Talk about cultural appropriation. What was she thinking?

by Anonymousreply 2August 31, 2020 2:24 AM

OP is worse than Adele in Bantu knots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3August 31, 2020 2:24 AM

Like Star Jones and Jason Seigel, I liked Adele better when she was fat

by Anonymousreply 4August 31, 2020 2:27 AM

Calm the fuck down R2. Women (and men) have been experimenting with and styling their hair since time began. No one owns braiding, twisting, knots, curls, kinks, waves or stick straight hair.

by Anonymousreply 5August 31, 2020 2:29 AM

Adele doesn't look her most attractive here. The bikini top is nice though.

by Anonymousreply 6August 31, 2020 2:30 AM

The comments are insane on her Instagram. You'd think she shot someone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7August 31, 2020 2:30 AM

She doesn't have an incision scar, so she lost weight the old fashion way? Drugs and laxatives?

by Anonymousreply 8August 31, 2020 2:31 AM

Just wait, the SJW will call for her head on a platter before the day is done if they haven't already.

by Anonymousreply 9August 31, 2020 2:32 AM

R3 That thread was started by NYPD Pig Troll , so disregard it as if it doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 10August 31, 2020 2:33 AM

You do You Gurl!

by Anonymousreply 11August 31, 2020 2:35 AM

The UK-based Jamaicans are defending her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12August 31, 2020 2:38 AM

Oh look... a race-baiting thread aimed at ginning up racial conflict and resentment toward liberals.

And on the same weekend when there's been obvious heterosexual disinformation trolls flooding the site like locusts.

What. A. Coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 13August 31, 2020 2:40 AM

omg them bags under her eyes.....git em cut out gurl

by Anonymousreply 14August 31, 2020 2:41 AM

Was her "cultural appropriation" stealing from Divine?

by Anonymousreply 15August 31, 2020 3:00 AM

I cant wait until the pandemic is over so people don't have time for these frivolous cancellations. Enough is too much.

by Anonymousreply 16August 31, 2020 3:19 AM

There might be layers here beyond the usual SJW cultural appropriation crap. Adele is ( or at least was ) Prince Harry's side piece when he can get away from Meghan. Her botnet may be pushing this.

by Anonymousreply 17August 31, 2020 3:42 AM

Her being skinny she lost what everyone loved her for. All the fat housewives looked at her and bought her album because she looked like them and they could relate. Now she looked a piece of chav trash that passes out in the street in London on a Saturday night. Her next album will flop

by Anonymousreply 18August 31, 2020 3:45 AM

I thought that was Katy Perry??

by Anonymousreply 19August 31, 2020 8:17 AM

Is black women straightening their hair cultural appropriation?

by Anonymousreply 20August 31, 2020 8:23 AM

She's had enough black dick in her to get a pass.

by Anonymousreply 21August 31, 2020 8:23 AM

Under fire from Americans who don't know the diff.

Jamaicans are pretty much on board with her.

So much unnecessary drama.

by Anonymousreply 22August 31, 2020 8:41 AM

big tits

by Anonymousreply 23August 31, 2020 8:44 AM

Adele is literally Hitler. Evil woman.

by Anonymousreply 24August 31, 2020 8:44 AM

She looks unwell - something very vacant about her stare.

by Anonymousreply 25August 31, 2020 8:45 AM

I don't recognize her at all.

by Anonymousreply 26August 31, 2020 8:48 AM

It's interesting that Jamaicans keep pointing out that carnivals are an "everybody's welcome and everybody's allowed to explore each other's culture" event and they just get drowned out by the Americans who insist they are somehow being oppressed. I saw a similar thing when some American reality star dressed up for carnival in Trinidad & Tobago and how she was treated by the do-gooders who were expressing sadness that those from Trinidad just didn't get how oppressive it was. It's so patronising! And really, if the choices are between either the American "stay in your own lane" ideal or the rest of the world's notion that "everybody's invited", I know which one I would choose!

by Anonymousreply 27August 31, 2020 9:26 AM

There is no such thing as cultural appropriation. Humanity has borrowed from other cultures since forever. We are all free to wear what we want and express ourselves how we want.

by Anonymousreply 28August 31, 2020 9:43 AM

"There is no such thing as cultural appropriation," I say to all the black people mad at me for wearing blackface and a fake afro.

by Anonymousreply 29August 31, 2020 9:59 AM

Pathetic complaining. This is why USA cannot have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 30August 31, 2020 10:18 AM

Cultural appropriation doesn't exist. And if it exists, we actually need more of it. Liberal, white Americans are so exhausting. I never thought I'd say that, but I think I hate them as much as I hate Deplorables, maybe even more, because I am more attached in culture and thought to liberals.

by Anonymousreply 31August 31, 2020 10:29 AM

Blackface is not a hairstyle. It's a reference to insulting stereotypes and race-based degrading mimicry.

Jamaicans don't seem to have an issue with a world famous pop star putting on some festive hair and clothes, neither of which are derogatory.

by Anonymousreply 32August 31, 2020 11:00 AM

I think the most disturbing part is the shocking collar. I don't get why the hair is so offensive, is just very unflattering and black women with straight blonde hair are fair game, I don't see the problem.

by Anonymousreply 33August 31, 2020 11:13 AM

NO, we, the Sun readers, love her.

by Anonymousreply 34August 31, 2020 11:16 AM

Go, Adele! I love that she's so out of it that she didn't realize this would be raw meat to the US woke.

I saw a white woman who'd obviously accepted White Fragility as her lord and savior lecturing on A's Instagram post and saying any blacks/Jamaicans who were fine with it were suffering from Stockholm Syndrome. These silly whites are going to start eating each other soon.

by Anonymousreply 35August 31, 2020 11:28 AM

The American Left is seriously deranged. Watch this video! The interviewer is very cuty, looks like Dave Franco. It makes me sad what happened to liberal values, which I ascribe too. I also hate it that the notions and idologies of the American left are also permeating the European left. It really bothers me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36August 31, 2020 11:33 AM

The American Left is seriously deranged. Watch this video! The interviewer is very cuty, looks like Dave Franco. It makes me sad what happened to liberal values, which I ascribe too. I also hate it that the notions and idologies of the American left are also permeating the European left. It really bothers me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 31, 2020 11:33 AM

I'm glad to read that there are many who think this is rubbish and who still identify as progressive and on the left, it makes me feel less alone and also hopeful that this idiocy won't completely take over.

by Anonymousreply 38August 31, 2020 11:44 AM

Not sure about the cultural appropriation thing, but Adele seems unwell - not just the tragic outfit, but as someone else noted, her face just looks vacant. She just seems to acting out in a way that's oddly out of character.

by Anonymousreply 39August 31, 2020 12:06 PM

I saw Jada Smith interviewed on this subject.

While speaking about "appropriation", she was wearing a blond white girl wig/weave.

At that moment I was done with this stupid argument.

by Anonymousreply 40August 31, 2020 12:40 PM

Couldn't what Adele is wearing be classified as a reductive stereotype? Rachel Dolezal was appropiating blackness by wearing blackface. I think getting mad at white people for corn rows or drea ds or hoop earrings is stupid as fuck by the way

by Anonymousreply 41August 31, 2020 12:40 PM

Why are gay men so disparaging of other cultures? Why are we so dismissive of people from those cultures asking for basic respect? “A blonde wig” is not the same as a hairstyle that would get a woman of color fired from a corporate job and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 42August 31, 2020 12:43 PM

We're talking about hair dear. Calm your over reactive and hypersensitive self.

by Anonymousreply 43August 31, 2020 12:52 PM

There is no such thing as cultural appropriation when it comes to personal expression. Nothing about any culture is property that can be patented or copyrighted or controlled. It's out there. We share it all.

The main exception is when something identifiable from a culture is grabbed by a corporation to help brand and sell a product. Taking something from a culture to use for financial gain is deeply problematic. But for personal expression, no. Absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 44August 31, 2020 12:56 PM

The Jamaicans seem fine with it. This is like how 99.9% of Latinos don't use latinx but the woke twitter ones do. American thing.

by Anonymousreply 45August 31, 2020 1:03 PM

She looks awful. Black women look way better in that style.

by Anonymousreply 46August 31, 2020 1:04 PM

I understand what y’all are saying, but here’s the issue I have. White people have poorly imitated and taken most of the attention, and success, away from black people.

Look at Miley with twerking. Most white people had no clue what twerking was until this bitch poorly imitated. The much more talented and natural black twerkers never got the attention and success she did.

And white people like Katy Perry used black people’s image for success, while black people who look so much better naturally in these styles are not given the attention and success.

by Anonymousreply 47August 31, 2020 1:16 PM

The "Tolerant" Left is at it again! Give me my rubles now I did it!

by Anonymousreply 48August 31, 2020 1:24 PM

Basically my issue is that exceptional black people are not given nearly the same attention and success for something they created as less talented imitating white people.

Like how the fuck is Eminem the most successful rapper? How did Miley get the most success from twerking? etc. etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 49August 31, 2020 1:24 PM

she just looks awful ... that's the real story

by Anonymousreply 50August 31, 2020 1:24 PM

Poor thing, she lost all that weight and turns out she's ugly as sin

by Anonymousreply 51August 31, 2020 1:26 PM

She's hungry, R39

by Anonymousreply 52August 31, 2020 1:27 PM

Cultural appropriation = jealousy.

This is really what it’s about.

Black people have no right to claim corn rows or knots as their exclusive hairstyles because they invented it. There is no way to conclusively establish what race did it first and even if you could, does it really matter? It’s just a hairstyle.

Twerking is not new, Puerto Rican’s and Dominicans have been twerking for years and you don’t see them crying about how black people took credit for it.

by Anonymousreply 53August 31, 2020 1:28 PM

Love how the Jamaicans and Caribbean British people are sticking up for Adele and telling the crazy Americans to fuck off with their "cultural appropriation" bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 54August 31, 2020 1:31 PM

One comment: "Actually Jamaicans don’t care 😂🇯🇲 we love seeing our culture being celebrated."

by Anonymousreply 55August 31, 2020 1:32 PM

American leftists decry cultural imperialism (and real imperialism, rightly so), and yet they engage in the EXACT SAME BEHAVIORS they condemn -- telling other cultures what they should feel, how they should react, what they should be offended by. See also: the qipao prom dress cause célèbre. American leftists were the ones offended on behalf of the Chinese, while he Chinese were confused by the outrage.

by Anonymousreply 56August 31, 2020 1:32 PM

And they never realised that that version of the qipao was itself an example of cultures mixing - based on the version created in the 1920s that took it's slimmer, figure-hugging style from western clothing at that time.

by Anonymousreply 57August 31, 2020 1:36 PM

If that's how it goes, R53, we should never see one more thread bemoaning how gay people moved into some backwater or blighted urban neighborhoods and made it cool and chic, only to have hipsters and baby-strolling yuppies from the suburbs start moving there and acting like it's THEIR neighborhoods now.

by Anonymousreply 58August 31, 2020 1:37 PM

The irony is that several on this forum have whined about straight people jacking from gay people. Nobody attacks gay people who complain. Most people here understand that. So why can’t you understand what black people go through?

by Anonymousreply 59August 31, 2020 1:39 PM

Thank's Adele. I love this shit. More votes for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60August 31, 2020 1:44 PM

Which black people r59? The Jamaicans who are happy to see Adele celebrating their culture and are actually really quite shocked at the comments by Americans? Or the black - and white - Americans, who think the world revolves around them and the entirety of humanity should be doing and thinking only as they say but who never make the slightest effort to understand anyone else's culture because in their minds only America matters?

by Anonymousreply 61August 31, 2020 1:44 PM

Liberals are annoying.

by Anonymousreply 62August 31, 2020 1:46 PM

R61

Spare me the BS. People on this forum have whined when a straight woman walks into a gay bar in pride clothing. They have whined about straight people using gay terminology. They have whined about straight people moving into gay neighborhoods.

But you have a problem when black people do the same. Because you’re a racist.

The hypocrisy is astounding.

by Anonymousreply 63August 31, 2020 1:50 PM

Sorry, things like this are an homage to that culture. It's a compliment. She isn't selling this hair is she?

by Anonymousreply 64August 31, 2020 1:57 PM

I remember a few years back when a girl wore a Cheongsam dress to her prom and a bunch of people had a hissy fit. Some younger Chinese Americans who weren’t born in China made it an issue. Older immigrants and residents who still live there didn’t know what the big deal was and I read a number of comments from people who said they were happy that something from their culture inspired them.

by Anonymousreply 65August 31, 2020 1:58 PM

She’s wearing pine cones on her head.

by Anonymousreply 66August 31, 2020 2:00 PM

This is the single most awful, dreadful, heinous, etc etc thing to have happened in the history of the Universe. Cancel her immediately or faster!

by Anonymousreply 67August 31, 2020 2:00 PM

Beyoncé and her natural hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68August 31, 2020 2:09 PM

No cultural appropriation here!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69August 31, 2020 2:09 PM

She got a head the size of a picnic watermelon

by Anonymousreply 70August 31, 2020 2:10 PM

It used to be nice face, shame about the body

Those were the days, right?

by Anonymousreply 71August 31, 2020 2:21 PM

She looks like a crackhead street walker

by Anonymousreply 72August 31, 2020 2:29 PM

R68

That is not even remotely the same. Eurocentric beauty standards and society tell us our natural hair is ugly. So this is what you get. It’s sad.

Meanwhile, people like Adele, Katy Perry, and Miley Cyrus can jack black people’s hairstyles and get millions and millions of likes and comments. They can garner mass attention and success. When black people wearing their natural hair does not.

by Anonymousreply 73August 31, 2020 2:29 PM

White people always look obnoxious and silly with black hairstyles

by Anonymousreply 74August 31, 2020 2:31 PM

Oh, appropriatioin is an outrage! Like when LSAers come here and appropriate DL!

by Anonymousreply 75August 31, 2020 2:34 PM

People today displaying their faux outrage over issues they don't really give a damn about.

When did this world become so full of blowbags who love the sound of their own voices ?

Now get out their and burn down someone's business. Feel free to sample the merchandise while you're at it, all in the name of justice.

by Anonymousreply 76August 31, 2020 2:40 PM

R68, what are you trying to argue? White people associate twerking with hip hop videos--they know where it comes from (at least in the context of pop culture). Miley Cyrus was a huge kiddie star who changed her image by dressing provocatively and doing some sexed-up performances featuring twerking. It's not as if she was making money off of someone's invention/creation. And she certainly wasn't taking money out of some poor video ho's pocket.

And apparently it's customary to go to the Notting Hill carnival dressed in Jamaican drag.

by Anonymousreply 77August 31, 2020 2:42 PM

[quote]Like how the fuck is Eminem the most successful rapper?

Excuse me? Have you HEARD Rap God?! Have you read the lyrics?? Here,let me help you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78August 31, 2020 2:46 PM

Adele looks fabulous, and you know it.

by Anonymousreply 79August 31, 2020 2:46 PM

Are y’all gonna stop attacking black people wearing their natural hair?

Because whenever a sexy black guy is posted here with his natural hair, nasty comments are posted.

by Anonymousreply 80August 31, 2020 2:47 PM

I know she must think she's sexy now but in that pic she couldn't possibly look less desirable: baggy eyes, crazy hair, huge saggy tits...I liked her better when she was fat.

by Anonymousreply 81August 31, 2020 2:49 PM

She’s not hurting anyone and she’s celebrating the culture. FUCK OFF! This whole “We invented it! Don’t anyone else touch it!” is so fucking annoying & desperate, but typical of tedious American SJWs.

by Anonymousreply 82August 31, 2020 2:50 PM

[quote]The irony is that several on this forum have whined about straight people jacking from gay people. Nobody attacks gay people who complain.

You are obviously not gay. How do I know this?Because EVERYBODY attacks gays, particularly black people, who remind us that 'kiki' and 'shade' are owned and operate d by Black People Only (TM). Black people are put on a pedestal while gays are oppressed by each and every culture, in particular Black culture. Take your homophobia elsewhere, there are lots of sites that have no problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 83August 31, 2020 2:53 PM

🚒 [italic] Caftan-On-Fire @ r81 !

by Anonymousreply 84August 31, 2020 2:54 PM

R80, I know you're obviously a tourist here, but how did you miss the recent thread about Chadwick Boseman? Where were there negative comments about his hair?

Honey, the hateful voices are coming from inside your own head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85August 31, 2020 2:56 PM

You're confused r63. Jamaicans aren't whining, nor are Caribbean Britons (Adele posted the pic in honour of the cancelled Notting Hill Carnival, if you know what that is). The vast majority of black people in the comments love Adele's post. The only whiners are Americans, black has nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 86August 31, 2020 2:56 PM

[quote]That is not even remotely the same. Eurocentric beauty standards and society tell us our natural hair is ugly. So this is what you get. It’s sad.

WHO ever said that natural Black hair is ugly? I would love to look at some links that have quotes from the White Race that say that natural Black hair is ugly. This sounds more like personal issues with attractiveness that has more to do with how Black people's insecurities and less to do with European beauty standards. Why do you NEED to care about beauty standards in white dominated cultures? You should care more about your OWN beauty standards from your own culture, that's what really matters. Why do you care so much about what other people think? And if you're going to talk about "workplace oppression", EVERYBODY is oppressed at work due to standards of professionalism. My hair is straight, but it used to be really long, and my boss told me that if I didn't cut my hair, I would be fired. So stop it. Why are you so obsessed with what whites are doing? Do you, boo.

by Anonymousreply 87August 31, 2020 3:02 PM

Let's just face the shitty music here. Liberalism and progressivism, for the young generation, are performative. You wonder why people don't vote? Because you can't photograph yourself in the booth, and it doesn't make for a thrilling, provocative tweet that makes you look uniquely brave and woke. If it's not a performance for a rapturous world, why bother?

by Anonymousreply 88August 31, 2020 3:02 PM

Why are Black people so concerned with what Europeans are doing? They're obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 89August 31, 2020 3:04 PM

It's called chip on their shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 90August 31, 2020 3:05 PM

Any black celebrity claiming empowerment of black women's beauty yet disguising her own hair with blond wigs is a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 91August 31, 2020 3:06 PM

[quote]And white people like Katy Perry used black people’s image for success, while black people who look so much better naturally in these styles are not given the attention and success.

Yes, Black people look So Much Better in these styles. No, this isn't a zero sum game with Black people to dominate and oppress whites. No not at all. What are you talking about??

by Anonymousreply 92August 31, 2020 3:08 PM

Wow Adele’s body is bangin! No loose skin and this girl was big. That’s what needs to be discussed here. Now will she slip like Oprah and return to being fat?

by Anonymousreply 93August 31, 2020 3:13 PM

Look at these evil whites culturally appropriating hair thousands of years ago:

[quote]The Old Testament also recounts the tale of Samson and Delilah in which a man's potency is directly linked to 'the seven locks on his head' and according to Roman accounts, the Celts were described to have 'hair like snakes' Germanic tribes, Greeks and the Vikings are all said to have worn dreadlocks too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94August 31, 2020 3:14 PM

What R91 said. Natural black hair is beautiful. I keep thinking of that Miss Universe (2018 I think) runner-up from Jamaica.

by Anonymousreply 95August 31, 2020 3:21 PM

I'm waiting for the "Black people have blond hair" troll. The Black people who have blond hair are the Melanesians, and their hair bright blond but it's not straight, it's kinked and curly, just like Black hair. This is not straight fine European hair like Beyonce's weaves and wigs, it's Black hair. So yes, under American Black people standards, this is cultural appropriation. But of course, there's an answer for that too: Eurocentric standards are dominant, and you can't culturally appropriate from the dominant culture. Just like you can't hurt people from the dominant culture because you can't be racist against that culture. How CONVENIENT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96August 31, 2020 3:25 PM

America should be far more concerned about four more years of Donald Trump ruling the land instead of how Adele chooses to wear her hair or what clothing she's chosen for the day.

by Anonymousreply 97August 31, 2020 3:38 PM

If black Americans want to change perceptions then they need to drive it themselves and stop blaming others.

Beyonce, Oprah and other high profile black celebrities should start wearing their hair natural 100% of the time, lead by example.

by Anonymousreply 98August 31, 2020 3:50 PM

[Quote] We are all free to wear what we want and express ourselves how we want.

If you had phrased this as men are free to wear dresses, you wouldn't have 17 WWs. Funny that.

by Anonymousreply 99August 31, 2020 3:55 PM

The ADOS assholes need to mind their damn business. Have they ever been to the Notting Hill Carnival in London? Everybody and their mother is at Carnival having a fucking good time. It's a celebration which brings everyone together to celebrate Caribbean culture. The video at the link is what you go to Carnival to do - hear fantastic tunes, dance your ass off and drink with your mates. The crowd tells you all you need to know about the Notting Hill Carnival. Good vibes. ADOS no nothing about Jamaican/Caribbean culture we are inclusive when we have celebrations not exclusive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100August 31, 2020 3:58 PM

So Adele wearing her hair like that is "cultural appropriation" but Beyonce wearing long, straight blond hair isn't?

Got it.

by Anonymousreply 101August 31, 2020 4:10 PM

I think she looks good. Her body is looking good and her face is not busted like some are saying. The hair is not super flattering but she's trying to celebrate Jamaican style. Sadly she's been trashed for it.

by Anonymousreply 102August 31, 2020 4:15 PM

Face is FUG

by Anonymousreply 103August 31, 2020 4:20 PM

it's not even that it's blonde hair, it's that it's literally the shaved off hair of truly oppressed people, east asian women

by Anonymousreply 104August 31, 2020 4:20 PM

Someone mentioned that hair style can make a black woman to lose her job and I agree that an awful thing that happens in your country. More reasons to stop making it such a taboo, it's just a fucking hairstyle, everyone should be able to use it without repercussions.

by Anonymousreply 105August 31, 2020 4:25 PM

The only people condemning it are rich American white people and embittered American black people. Rich American white people condemn it because they constantly feel the need to be white saviors, even if it's just subconsciously. They see pretty much everyone who isn't rich and white and American like them as children who need to be looked after and defended by none other than rich white Americans.

The embittered American black people are different, they'll grasp at any straws they can to get outraged at because outrage is their identity. They've discovered getting pissed at literally anything is their golden ticket to power and anything they could ever dream of, which they eagerly seize and frankly I don't blame them. It makes them feel big, and everyone likes to feel big.

The point is, both groups of people who get upset over this have one thing in common: they're Americans. And if there's one thing Americans never falter on, it's their ability to pretend like themselves and their thoughts are the most important things in the world. Never doubt an American's narcissism and self-centeredness.

by Anonymousreply 106August 31, 2020 4:27 PM

Trump: Hey, I think I'm going to be a blatantly white nationalist wannabe authoritarian...

Straight, Conservative Trolls on DL: Hey, I'm going to start a bunch of race-baiting threads all weekend to foment resentment against liberals and try to dampen enthusiasm for democratic voter turn-out...

Posters in this thread: Hey, I could focus on the fact that our blatantly white nationalist wannabe authoritarian has allowed the coronavirus to kill hundreds of thousands, politicized mask-wearing, and is destroying the post office explicitly for the purpose of suppressing mail-in voting... But naaaaaaaahhh, a small faction of liberals are getting over-zealous about a celebrity hairstyle on social media. I know what's important... more race-bait please! Those darn wokesters!

by Anonymousreply 107August 31, 2020 4:41 PM

I’d love to write, “Gurl, please,” but I’ve be awakened to the literal violence of cultural appropriation, so I shall write, “Oy vey.”

Not so much fun, huh?

by Anonymousreply 108August 31, 2020 4:42 PM

I’ve never liked her music or her personality.

by Anonymousreply 109August 31, 2020 4:44 PM

R107 The problem is it isn't a small faction anymore. The moderate left tried to ignore it and just focus on Trump and as a result the woke shit grew and grew and grew and spread like a virus. It's impossible to ignore now because it corrodes literally everything on the blue side.

Believe it or not, some of us here are adults who are capable of being concerned about and tackling multiple issues at once. Believe it or not, there are still some people in America who approach politics as a multifaceted issue instead of a juvenile black-and-white us vs them thing where our side can do no harm because we're the good guys and the other side are the meanies.

Some of us are still adults capable of seeing the world normally instead of through the lense our echo chamber has created for us, darling.

by Anonymousreply 110August 31, 2020 4:47 PM

American blacks are hated by other blacks worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 111August 31, 2020 4:48 PM

R110

Darling, right-wing disinformation trolls have been posting race-baiting and liberal-bashing threads all weekend. You're playing along with straight incels from 4chan or wherever who want to gin up resentment towards the democratic party.

I'm sure you're normally a towering example of critical thinking. But in this instance, you're being what I might call a useful idiot.

by Anonymousreply 112August 31, 2020 4:55 PM

R110

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113August 31, 2020 5:04 PM

And, r106, they are most likely FAT white and black Americans.

by Anonymousreply 114August 31, 2020 5:05 PM

🤣 Americans still believe they are the richest and most powerful country in the world.

by Anonymousreply 115August 31, 2020 5:26 PM

R112 but you're using the term incorrectly.

[quote]If you have never heard the term “useful idiot” it was the attitude held by Vladimir Lenin towards communist sympathizers in the West (America). While Lenin and the Soviets held them in utter contempt they also viewed them as tools for dispensing communist propaganda to other countries, thus infecting foreign cultures with their totalitarian tripe. After their mission was complete, they were no longer “useful.” It's a term the refers to brainwashed American marxists who blindly support any ideology that gets themselves out of real work and causes others to pay their way. It also refers to useful idiots who post inaccurate definitions of the term useful idiot. While they believe that they are making some sort of statement, they are actually providing perfect examples of the term. 'An American who espouses Marxist ideals is a useful idiot.'"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116August 31, 2020 5:26 PM

Cultural appropiation is one of the most stupid trends lately. That made sense when black musicians were ignored while whites get success with the music they made. But now, in a global world where you have influences of everywhere it's utterly stupid.

At least not everybody is on board, Bernardine Evaristo talked against the use of cultural appropiation blaming just a method of censorship, she said it very clear, you should write about whatever you want, and of couse be responsible if you don't do a good job.

And this is about hair, people experiment with their hair all the time, it's not that important

by Anonymousreply 117August 31, 2020 5:32 PM

[quote]the woke shit grew and grew and grew and spread like a virus. It's impossible to ignore now because it corrodes literally everything on the blue side

I go weeks without seeing anything "woke" online.

The problem is people like you see someone say "people who say 'k*ke' on DL should be banned" and immediately start screaming that they're a "Millennial wokescold ruining the world and this is why Trump will win!"

Either you guys are trolls or you're too tightly wrapped. You sound like the guys 25 years ago who would scream about "political correctness" if someone said "maybe we shouldn't be using blackface for laughs on sitcoms anymore."

by Anonymousreply 118August 31, 2020 5:36 PM

R116

Yah, I know. I was using the term loosely. *shrug*

by Anonymousreply 119August 31, 2020 5:41 PM

Cultural appropriation is mostly bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 120August 31, 2020 5:42 PM

[quote]Rich American white people condemn it because they constantly feel the need to be white saviors, even if it's just subconsciously. They see pretty much everyone who isn't rich and white and American like them as children who need to be looked after and defended by none other than rich white Americans.

A lot of the rich so-called "white" people are really Jews, but they identify as white racially on the Census. (They're now reclaiming their Jewish heritage since Drumpf was elected). Most wealthy "whites" are white Jews who are deeply involved with social justice identity politics.

[quote]The embittered American black people are different, they'll grasp at any straws they can to get outraged at because outrage is their identity.

They need whites to define themselves against as the good innocent. Is this why Black people become outraged when whites move in and gentrify their neighborhoods and outraged when white people move out of those very same gentrified neighborhoods?

[quote]The point is, both groups of people who get upset over this have one thing in common: they're Americans. And if there's one thing Americans never falter on, it's their ability to pretend like themselves and their thoughts are the most important things in the world. Never doubt an American's narcissism and self-centeredness.

Lots of sweeping generalizations there. You blame the people as a monolithic character flaw, while I, as an American, blame education school system. Civics, Home Ec, Wood Shop, and art class were all removed in the 70's, and far leftist social sciences replaced it all.

This is the result.

by Anonymousreply 121August 31, 2020 5:47 PM

R118 If you haven't seen anything woke online in weeks it's because you yourself have become oblivious to it. I'm Jewish, by the way, and there is a massive difference between getting upset at someone for using a slur and getting upset at someone for putting their hair in a bun and wearing a bikini with a foreign flag on it. The fact that you can no longer tell the difference shows us who's really too tightly wound. The fact that you also immediately assume that everyone who disagrees with you is automatically a Trump supporter says a lot too.

by Anonymousreply 122August 31, 2020 5:47 PM

R122

You may not be a trump supporter, but you're playing along with their playbook.

"woke twitterati get upset about something that get other people upset at them for being upset" is their bread-and-butter that they amplify across media to try to foment resentment toward liberals and dampen democratic voter turn-out.

But go ahead and play along when their orange emperor is actually contributing to pandemic deaths in the hundreds of thousands. What really matters is some kids on social media getting worked up over a celebrity hairstyle, right?

by Anonymousreply 123August 31, 2020 5:55 PM

There's a thread about how much more pleasant DL is if you put this Ooze troll on ignore, think I'll take the advice.

by Anonymousreply 124August 31, 2020 5:58 PM

R123 Too late. The Democrats are being trashed because of the very same Twitterati who don't vote but call themselves are liberals and are trashing major cities. If Drumpf wins, it WILL be their fault.

by Anonymousreply 125August 31, 2020 6:00 PM

Good idea R124. Done

by Anonymousreply 126August 31, 2020 6:04 PM

Dreadlocks were common amongst ancient Europeans. Celtic and Germanic peoples were especially fond of them.

by Anonymousreply 127August 31, 2020 6:06 PM

[quote] A lot of the rich so-called "white" people are really Jews, but they identify as white racially on the Census.

Oh, I’m sorry. I did that. I guess the instructions fooled me:

[Quote] The category “White” includes all individuals who identify with one or more nationalities or ethnic groups originating in Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

What should I have checked? “Other?” I didn’t know.

By the way, I’m only part Jewish. The other part is Austrian. Do I get extra credit for that? Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 128August 31, 2020 6:12 PM

Why have a hissy fit with each other over something so idiotic. The woke trolls, trolled Adele. The fascist trolls Troll Adele to get the center left. Some cunt posts it to DL. To troll. Hissy fits ensue. Their work is done. Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 129August 31, 2020 6:15 PM

she looks like a cross between Katy Perry and that girl Michelle that told her friend to kill himself

by Anonymousreply 130August 31, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote] Love how the Jamaicans and Caribbean British people are sticking up for Adele and telling the crazy Americans to fuck off with their "cultural appropriation" bullshit.

Honey, Brits are just as pissed off. In fact, the Brits are a million times worse when it comes to wile culture. You can’t take a shit without someone screaming racism.

by Anonymousreply 131August 31, 2020 6:27 PM

[quote] A lot of the rich so-called "white" people are really Jews, but they identify as white racially on the Census.

Huh? There are white Jews. What are you smoking??

by Anonymousreply 132August 31, 2020 6:28 PM

Not that more Jamaicans are saying it's appreciation all black united statesians are claiming that they were just joking all along. Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 133August 31, 2020 6:31 PM

It's Americans, not United Statesians.

by Anonymousreply 134August 31, 2020 6:34 PM

R134 Only people from the USA use americans to talk about themselve. For the rest of the world americans are people who were born in America (the continent)

by Anonymousreply 135August 31, 2020 6:56 PM

She just looks stupid. Don't hate her because she's "appropriating", hate her for looking dumb.

by Anonymousreply 136August 31, 2020 6:56 PM

[quote] Only people from the USA use americans to talk about themselve. For the rest of the world americans are people who were born in America (the continent)

So how does the rest of the world refer to people from the USA?

by Anonymousreply 137August 31, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote]Only people from the USA use americans to talk about themselve. For the rest of the world americans are people who were born in America (the continent)

Bullshit. People from the US are known as "Americans" throughout the world.

The United States of America is the full name of the country. It is the only country in the world with "America" in its formal name. Calling citizens of that country Americans is correct. If Mexicans, for example, changed the full name of their country to The United American Mexican States and then wanted to be referred to as Americans they would be more than welcome.

Latin Americans have never identified as "Americans" in any meaningful way.

by Anonymousreply 138August 31, 2020 7:17 PM

[quote]Oh, I’m sorry. I did that. I guess the instructions fooled me: The category “White” includes all individuals who identify with one or more nationalities or ethnic groups originating in Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

Yes, the Census got it wrong. It gets a lot of things wrong, it's kinda famous for that actually. When POC call white people evil racist oppressors, they're referring to people from the Anglosphere. Jewish people are Middle Easterners, who are not called evil racist oppressors. That's why they made new racial categories, separating the racists from everyone else. Haaretz explains it:

[quote]What should I have checked? “Other?” I didn’t know. By the way, I’m only part Jewish. The other part is Austrian. Do I get extra credit for that? Probably not.

Credit for being white? That's a stretch. Whites are appropriators with no culture, I've been told. Not much credit there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139August 31, 2020 7:22 PM

So whites aka Europeans don't have culture? Wow, that's news to everyone!

by Anonymousreply 140August 31, 2020 7:25 PM

R140 Their culture is varied, much like African culture. Europe is an ancient continent, like Africa.

by Anonymousreply 141August 31, 2020 7:27 PM

Adele is trans-racial. Look at her picture through the lens of truth or strip all the physical mag off of her picture. She's a black person that wears white engineers so nobody can see her true ethnicity.

by Anonymousreply 142August 31, 2020 7:30 PM

Thanks for the instructions, Mien Herr.

by Anonymousreply 143August 31, 2020 7:31 PM

R138 No, in spanish is estadounidenses or norteamericanos.

Nobody uses americans to refer to people from the USA, because for the rest of the world America is a continent and not a country

by Anonymousreply 144August 31, 2020 7:32 PM

R138 you are full of shit. Abroad, people call people from the US Americans. Nobody is out there referring to Mexicans and Canadians as Americans

by Anonymousreply 145August 31, 2020 7:34 PM

^Let alone Venezuelans and Brazilians.

by Anonymousreply 146August 31, 2020 7:37 PM

It's part of the country's name. There's really not another way to say it. United Staters is just silly, as is USers or anything else.

Here's the facts; Our full name is United States of America. It is not the United States. Once you have America in your name, then go ahead and call yourself Americans.

And, as a reminder, we were the first independent country in North or South America to leave their colonial rule.

People who say ' but we're Americans too' - No, you are North American or South American. It's petty bullshit and just one more thing to criticize the USA over.

Mexico's official name is United Mexican States. Yet we call the people Mexican, not United Statesian.

Brazil's name is the Federated Republic of Brazil. We call the people Brazilians, not Federated Republicans.

Uruguay's name is the Oriental Republic of Uruguay. We call the people Uruguayans, not Oriental Republicans.

We are the only country with America in its name. Yes, it is weird to have a country and two continents with the same name, but that's not our problem. And it is not some purposeful thing to co-opt the name.

Most people identify with their nation of origin, not the continent (except Australia). It is all bullshit - mostly from other North and South Americans who want to desperately find something to bitch about. They look like idiots when they bring this up.

by Anonymousreply 147August 31, 2020 7:43 PM

Didn't she lose like 100 lbs or close to that? If so, why is she so smooth and tight? Loose skin surgery on the sly? She's like butta!

by Anonymousreply 148August 31, 2020 7:46 PM

[quote] Uruguay's name is the Oriental Republic of Uruguay.

No way!

by Anonymousreply 149August 31, 2020 7:46 PM

If any other country had gotten to "America" first as its country name, no one would give a shit. Central and South Americans get pissy about citizens of the U.S. calling ourselves "Americans" because they don't like us, our country, or our government's shenanigans in their own parts of the Americas. While the latter dislike is completely justified, the whining over the use of "Americans" is annoying and pointless.

Central and South Americans don't conceptualize themselves as Americans in any meaningful sense anyway. I guarantee that if the U.S. didn't exist or if it weren't a meddling superpower, they wouldn't consider themselves "Americans" at all. Without us, they wouldn't have any particular common cause with each other.

by Anonymousreply 150August 31, 2020 7:47 PM

The United states is a crap hole and yet people on here are vehemently defending the monopoly of using the word american. News Flash: the world hates the united states. This country has an idiot for president and even more idiots rallying to elect him again. Stop making crap up about you have to have america in the Country name to be called american. Spain, Germany, Italy and others don't have Europe in the name, yet they're referred to as European. China, Japan, and others are asian. Please explain

by Anonymousreply 151August 31, 2020 7:53 PM

[quote] Please explain

It seems any attempt would be futile.

by Anonymousreply 152August 31, 2020 7:56 PM

r151 it's already been explained. And you're just a jealous bitch.

by Anonymousreply 153August 31, 2020 7:57 PM

News Flash: the rest of the world refers to people from the United States as "Americans" too. The only people who complain about this are a few people from Latin America and Canada. Nobody else gives a shit. And really, you wonder why Spain, German and Italy are called European? Maybe it's because no one country dominates Western Europe the way The United States dominates North America?

by Anonymousreply 154August 31, 2020 7:58 PM

I think she only lost around 40 lbs. That wouldn't create the loose, hanging skin that morbidly obese people get after weight loss. She does look exhausted and drained though. Maybe Adderall and not getting enough sleep plus extremely restrictive diet? Eat and sandwich and take a nap, hun.

by Anonymousreply 155August 31, 2020 7:59 PM

On DL, you actually CAN be too rich and too thin.

by Anonymousreply 156August 31, 2020 8:07 PM

R143, you sound like a bitter transracial yourself.

by Anonymousreply 157August 31, 2020 8:08 PM

I have no idea what you mean by transracial, but I’m pretty sure that since I’m a Jew, you’d consider me “Other” no matter what color my skin was.

by Anonymousreply 158August 31, 2020 8:31 PM

Most Jews aren't fully Jewish these days (ethnically), and skin color doesn't always dictate race. You are a definite wearer of white veneers and skin lightening engineers, however.

by Anonymousreply 159August 31, 2020 8:46 PM

Back off bitches, that hair do is punishment enough!

by Anonymousreply 160August 31, 2020 9:15 PM

The only one who can call out Adele for cultural appropriation is Big Bird from Sesame Street!

by Anonymousreply 161August 31, 2020 9:16 PM

They're all on Adderall.

by Anonymousreply 162August 31, 2020 9:47 PM

Is her hair on purpose?

by Anonymousreply 163August 31, 2020 9:56 PM

R100, thank you so much for posting that video, it made me so happy watching it. There's something so lovely about seeing everyone together, enjoying themselves, especially at this moment when we can't get that close to each other. It really shows what is so sad about these bitter people online who have to complain about non-issues all the time - that they probably couldn't enjoy seeing something like this. You can just see someone like Roxane Gay mocking the white people in the clip above for their dancing and all her followers getting on board, and I'm not just imagining that might happen, in the past she really has spent time mocking white people for dancing.

by Anonymousreply 164August 31, 2020 10:00 PM

You talk about Adele as though she were the wife of Prince Harry.

by Anonymousreply 165August 31, 2020 10:20 PM

Aren't people from the United States known as 'Muricans?

by Anonymousreply 166August 31, 2020 10:22 PM

About 37 people in the world care about this and they're probably mentally ill and looking for an excuse to unload. Black people just want cops to stop killing them, which isn't an awful lot to ask.

by Anonymousreply 167September 1, 2020 12:43 AM

It's United States of America, because thats where is located, could be Unites States of Africa, Europe or Asia, When they named the country, America was considered the name of the continent. Now you separate the continent on North America and South America, but some of us still see it as 1 continent. Americanos are any people who lives in North, central or South america

by Anonymousreply 168September 1, 2020 1:38 AM

It's very interesting to see how the conversation has developed today. Many of the Americans who were upset at Adele are now completely puzzled at not being supported by black people from the rest of the world, and the only explanation they can come up with is that these people are "desperate for white validation". That seems awfully patronising to my mind.

Carnivals seem like a wonderful thing, I hope to get to one myself one day!

by Anonymousreply 169September 1, 2020 1:43 AM

I've worked with and been friends with African immigrants and I've been shocked at the things they say about African Americans. Holy shit! They sound like racist white people. There is no love lost there.

by Anonymousreply 170September 1, 2020 2:10 AM

For fuck sake, she is clearly wearing it out of respect for Caribbean culture. She isn't claiming the hairstyle or the Jamaican flag as her own. She's wearing it in celebration along with actual Caribbean people.

I agree with those defending her: How about you stop using every fucking thing invented by other cultures, assholes. You don't get to whine about some bs "appropriation" as you use things created by other people on this planet.

God, how insufferable these assholes must be - and I know it's not just black people. You know it's these fucking "woke" white morons who are going waaaay overboard in what they think is support for black people.

It's a fucking ugly hairstyle, BTW.

by Anonymousreply 171September 1, 2020 2:19 AM

It's like wearing green and getting shitfaced drunk, pissing in the street then punching a cop on St. Patrick's Day, to celebrate the Irish. Nothing wrong with it.

by Anonymousreply 172September 1, 2020 2:21 AM

What about all those people who go to Japan and water kimonos? Is that wrong as well?

by Anonymousreply 173September 1, 2020 2:24 AM

Exactly, I certainly hope i never see a black person wearing a Kimono. I mean how far do you want to take this shit? It's fucking ridiculous. No one is looking at that stupid hairstyle Adele is wearing and thinking it's "white." Don't worry, no one's looking to steal it and claim it as European.

by Anonymousreply 174September 1, 2020 2:30 AM

The cultural appropriation insult doesn't work on black people. America has pretty much decided that people of color is pretty much just limited to black people and that black people are the only race that is oppressed. They don't give a shit about latinos, or asians, or middle easterners, etc. Cultural appropriation, racism, and every horrible thing you can do related to race only matters when it's directed towards a black person.

This is, because, in America's eyes, black people are the only non-white race that matters.

by Anonymousreply 175September 1, 2020 2:36 AM

R171, from my experience, I have to agree. It 9 times out of 10 seems to be coming from some white woman who is talking over the people she claims to be helping. And she can turn pretty nasty and condescending towards those same people pretty quickly if they don't lap up her words of wisdom. "It's so sad you don't see how you are being oppressed!"

My worry sometimes is that this eventually becomes so ridiculous that people start dismissing the serious issues to do with discrimination, racism etc along with these silly notions like cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 176September 1, 2020 2:46 AM

American DL certainly is an expert in hate and jealousy.

by Anonymousreply 177September 1, 2020 2:55 AM

What is this hunny? What is this all about?

by Anonymousreply 178September 1, 2020 3:04 AM

Where's the new Rebel Wilson thread? She's almost at her weight loss goal, and she looks fabulous. C'mon DL, we know how you basement fatties love to slice and dice.

by Anonymousreply 179September 1, 2020 3:13 AM

I have friends from many cultures and without exception they're eager to share their culture with me, and eager to have me share mine with them. I'm guessing these sheltered and insular SJWs have never actually had friends from another culture. Perhaps they've never had friends at all.

by Anonymousreply 180September 1, 2020 12:12 PM

[quote]Perhaps they've never had friends at all.

You said a mouthful there, my friend.

by Anonymousreply 181September 1, 2020 12:33 PM

I think you're right, R180, re: their lack of friendships.

Like you, I have friends from a number of backgrounds. We've actually talked about this concept amongst ourselves, and it's always resulted at the very least in an eye-roll and sheer bewilderment (often a sarcastic comment is made about Americans too). No one I know has ever been offended when someone shows an interest in their culture. Plus, whenever I engage in cultural exchange the sheer happiness I see in others is a real delight. One of my friends even told me that my showing interest in his culture made him appreciate it for the first time. He'd always felt slightly ashamed because of the xenophobia of others.

I mean, people like that weirdo Randa Jarrar complain about white people belly dancing for instance, but I've been to my friend's house before when his family have had Arabic music playing, and being someone who likes to play the fool and be self-deprecating, I just jokingly did a few moves, and they are immediately laughing, clapping and encouraging "yalla!" and trying to teach me. They fill me with their food and are really interested in my opinions on it - I'm encouraged to try cooking it myself AND, shock, horror, to adapt it as I see fit - and I became a member of the family very quickly (One of the most emotional moments being when my friend's father put his arm around me and said: "You're like a son to me"). People like Jarrar would have you believe that being a white male and attempting to belly dance in a room full of people from Egypt will somehow wound them. It doesn't.

This is something that is so lovely about life, and these killjoys for some reason can't bear to see others having fun.

Sorry for going on about it, I just feel very strongly about this. Oh and to add, while I mentioned people will make funny comments about Americans in response, we do know that it isn't all, or even most, of you. 😘

by Anonymousreply 182September 1, 2020 1:08 PM

R182 Good post! You should look up cutie Will Witt's videos about cultural appropriation on college campuses in America. Yes, it is a conservative non-profit, but these American snowflake liberals are so annoying!

by Anonymousreply 183September 1, 2020 1:12 PM

Does Adele have any free days? I need someone who will iron weekly and polish silver as needed. I already have someone to do the heavy cleaning.

by Anonymousreply 184September 1, 2020 1:17 PM

My thing is before you start whining about cultural appropriation, ask yourself what the person is getting out of it.

Adele is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, two Diamond albums, two AOTY awards, and an Oscar. What in the actual fuck does she have to gain by appropriating anything? Now if she does a remix to WAP, let me know. Otherwise, leave her alone.

by Anonymousreply 185September 1, 2020 1:25 PM

Petty Little People.

Petty Little Lives.

by Anonymousreply 186September 1, 2020 4:31 PM

[quote] What in the actual fuck does she have to gain by appropriating anything?

Presumably, she’s manufacturing an excuse to show off her new body in a bikini top.

by Anonymousreply 187September 1, 2020 5:14 PM

R183

"You should look up cutie Will Witt's videos about cultural appropriation on college campuses in America. Yes, it is a conservative non-profit, but these American snowflake liberals are so annoying!"

You mean "cutie" Will Witt pictured below with white nationalist darling Richard Spencer?

You know, for a self-proclaimed "GermanGayGuy", you're awfully familiar with minor, obscure players in the american neo-nazi scene. Actually, you have a very odd level of familiarity with the alt-right in the US.

Well, american or german or from wherever else, you REEK of neo-nazi. You're giving yourself away, completely. We see what you are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188September 1, 2020 6:54 PM

That's Ben Shapiro - He's not a Neo-Nazi, just a Jewish Supremacist scumbag who pals around with Neo-Nazis and influences terrorists who kill Muslims.

Here he is with Steve King.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189September 1, 2020 7:01 PM

Oh, and here's GermanGayGuy's favorite "cutie" Will Witt chilling with right-wing harpy Ann Coulter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190September 1, 2020 7:01 PM

R189

Ah, thanks, I stand corrected. They all blend together in my mind after a while.

by Anonymousreply 191September 1, 2020 7:02 PM

Well, he is kind of cute! And I am not a Nazi!

by Anonymousreply 192September 1, 2020 7:07 PM

Apparently, "GermanGayGuy"'s favorite "cutie" Will Witt is a "political influencer for the conservative educational organization PragerU".

Here's a link about PragerU's ties to white supremacy and horrific anti-gay record:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193September 1, 2020 7:09 PM

R192

Oh, you're not a nazi? You're just really bizarrely familiar with obscure figures in the american white nationalist movement??? Despite claiming to be a "GermanGayGuy"???

by Anonymousreply 194September 1, 2020 7:12 PM

R194 I just typed in 'cultural appropriation' on youtube and found these entertaining college surveys. Even though I would not befriend that Will Witt guy, I think these snippets were quite entertaining and somewhat illuminating.

by Anonymousreply 195September 1, 2020 7:14 PM

R195

Oh, okay, I guess you're not a neo-nazi then. You're just COINCIDENTALLY hanging around on a gay men's message board PROMOTING known american neo-nazis that you just happened to stumble upon and are bizarrely irritated by liberals on another continent in a country that you've never been to.

Totally believable.

Pictured below: GermanGayGuy's new favorite "cutie" buddying up with Donald Trump Jr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196September 1, 2020 7:21 PM

Block Ooze, GayGermanGuy. It is an anti-white racist bigot. It hates Germans and it won't stop. Just block it.

by Anonymousreply 197September 1, 2020 7:34 PM

R197

Right, me, the guy who is confronting the poster who is promoting an alt-right white nationalist influencer, I'm the REAL racist.

Up is down and down is up.

And somehow I hate germans when I just explicitly expressed skepticism that "GermanGayGuy" is even an actual german to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 198September 1, 2020 7:39 PM

R198 Ich bin Deutsch! Und jetzt halt dein Maul!

by Anonymousreply 199September 1, 2020 8:18 PM

"Ich bin Deutsch"

Hahahahahaha, du TROTTEL @R199 - lern erst einmal Deutsch, du Vollspacken!

by Anonymousreply 200September 1, 2020 8:23 PM

R200 What is a Vollspacken?

by Anonymousreply 201September 1, 2020 8:24 PM

Fahrvergnügen

by Anonymousreply 202September 1, 2020 8:25 PM

R201, learn German and you'll know.

by Anonymousreply 203September 1, 2020 8:31 PM

Ich bin wirklich Deutscher! Beweis: äöüß

by Anonymousreply 204September 1, 2020 8:32 PM

R204, das einzige, was du bist, ist ein armseliges Würstchen, wahrscheinlich mit einem armseligen Würstchen in der Hose ... und wie der User im anderen Thread sagte, bist du vermutlich in der Tat irgendsoeine Alt-Right-Sackratte, wie sie hier derzeit zuhauf eintrudeln. Troll dich einfach zurück wo du hergekommen bist.

Bussi!

by Anonymousreply 205September 1, 2020 8:39 PM

American here and I love Germans. I've been to Germany many times over the years and they've always been very kind to me.

by Anonymousreply 206September 1, 2020 8:42 PM

She looks dumb.

by Anonymousreply 207September 1, 2020 8:44 PM

R203

Thank you for the help in exposing this neo-nazi fraudster. :D

I only took a couple of semesters of german in middle school myself. :)

I especially love his statement in R36 -- "It makes me sad what happened to liberal values, which I ascribe too."

Riiiiiiiiggggghhhttt. Sure, Jan. Sure. 'I'm a liberal myself... I just also enjoy obscure figures in the american far-right white nationalist movement! Hey, it can happen!'

::face-palm::

by Anonymousreply 208September 1, 2020 8:46 PM

😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

by Anonymousreply 209September 1, 2020 9:15 PM

I vood lyke my hairs een doze Bantu knot tingys vit beekeeniez.

Dey lewks hotz !

by Anonymousreply 210September 1, 2020 9:20 PM

The Adele thing seems to be winding down online already, which makes me think the best thing anyone can do if called out is to just stay silent (as she has) for a day and everyone will have moved on. This already went very quickly from accusing Adele of cultural appropriation to what I saw people calling a "diaspora war", to... well... not really being mentioned much. In the space of two days. The cycle of outrage moves incredibly quickly it seems! Twitter is a very weird place. I've not had a lot to do with it, but have checked in a bit lately and I don't really get the point of it.

by Anonymousreply 211September 1, 2020 9:22 PM

I Had Anal Sex With Ben Shapiro!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212September 1, 2020 9:22 PM

Dying down?

Good Morning America did a story a this morning, with Janelle Norman, the black reporter who suddenly realized she was black, and tossed out her weave.

The New York Post also did a story today.

Is there no end to America to stupidity?

by Anonymousreply 213September 1, 2020 9:27 PM

R41 Rachel D didn’t wear black face! She did possibly wear a wig or extensions or at the very least got a perm, but she did not wear blackface.

I like her, to be honest. She didn’t do it for financial gain, but because it was how she identified. No harm done and she seems like a good mother. Also, her paintings are good. I follow her on Instagram and most of the people who compliment her/post their support are black people.

To me, blackface is a mockery. I don’t see Dolezal as anything but sincere.

by Anonymousreply 214September 1, 2020 9:34 PM

Get real ......

There isn't a former fattie alive who will tell you they liked themselves better fat.

by Anonymousreply 215September 1, 2020 9:36 PM

R47 I get what you’re saying but Adele’s success (and I’m not a fan) is due to her songs, not her hairstyle.

by Anonymousreply 216September 1, 2020 9:36 PM

R73 those women you listed get compliments not becasue they’re white but simply because they’re famous. If Beyoncé, Rhihanna or Janelle Monáe wore a similar style (though Monáe has much better sartorial taste than Adele) and posted the photos on Instagram, they’d get compliments too.

Example - Lens Dunham posts her hideousness and all her Instagram followers shower her with compliments. Lady Gaga is a homely troll but get compliments from her followers. The Kardashian Kunts could shave their heads and they’d get compliments. It’s just about the cult of celebrity, not race.

by Anonymousreply 217September 1, 2020 9:43 PM

[quote]Adele is worth hundreds of millions of dollars

She's not worth as much as other A-list female singers because she's only done one tour. She also hasn't done any big endorsement deals. Those are the two main sources of income for singers today.

by Anonymousreply 218September 1, 2020 9:44 PM

USA Today is also jumping on the bandwagon with this story.

R218 Don't be so freaking petty.

Adele is $et for Life.

by Anonymousreply 219September 1, 2020 9:54 PM

R164 Roxanne Gay is a bitter fat woman. She shits on everything.

by Anonymousreply 220September 1, 2020 9:54 PM

Damn, R213, I guess I woke up too hopeful, haha. Still, I guess staying silent about it is the best course. Or gentle mockery. I just checked out Twitter and a response that cracked me up was:

"Note, the person getting pissed about a Londoner wearing caribbean themes clothing in honour of an anglo-carribean festival hails from the caribbean island of... Detroit."

Oh yeah R220, she's terrible. And always using weasel words or trying to retcon her previous statements to make out it's everyone else who has a problem, or that she didn't mean what she said, when she knows perfectly well what she's doing. I don't understand why so many people like her.

by Anonymousreply 221September 1, 2020 10:05 PM

But it's fine if a black actor pretends to be a verifiably white English King, say, Richard II, because Shakespeare "belongs to the world", or Margaret of Anjou, a white French princess who married Henry VI, for the same reason, or the heir to the medieval throne of Denmark, who was as likely to have been black as he was a fried egg; or for directors to hand parts to black actors based on characters that everyone knows were envisioned as white by their authors: Hermione Grainger, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, the kids in A Wrinkle in Time . . . it's all right for black opera singers to perform the works written by nearly entirely white European men . . .

If it's white, it belongs to the world. If it's a traditional black hairstyle or a remotely nonwhite character in a book written by a white man (like Tiger Lily in "Peter Pan"), it only belongs to someone who looks like that.

God many of us are so sick and tired of this hypocritical bullshit.

Even people who used to support colour-blind casting are now questioning it.

Can I just mention here what a fucking bore Brie Larson was as Captain Marvel and how much better it would have been if they'd gotten Chris Evans to play Captain Marvel instead of Steve Rogers?

Adele is OK, but she was more interesting fat than thin. She's lost whatever quirky appeal she had along with the weight.

by Anonymousreply 222September 1, 2020 10:19 PM

R211, the Americans are calling it a "diaspora war" or whatever because actual Jamaicans and British Caribbean people are telling them to go take a hike, leave Adele alone and shut the fuck up with this cultural appropriation bullshit, which only Americans are obsessed with. So the Americans have decided that this is a problem with the way in which the "diaspora" is formed, instead of their own distorted understanding of the world.

Yesterday I also discovered that actual Africans took offence with Beyonce and her weird stereotypical, cultural appropriation-type view of their homeland in Black is King.

When it comes down to it, so-called African Americans are a thousand times more American than African. They know nothing about Africa or black communities in other parts of the world. Unlike white Americans, however, who've had it drilled into them that America is not the centre of the world and so they should try to understand how non-Americans see things, black Americans have never been forced to confront their own privilege, their own supremacist position and their own cultural imperialism as Americans.

by Anonymousreply 223September 1, 2020 10:33 PM

R223 ahhh, I see. So it's kinda like saying: "we are all one people" and then "and so we have to do everything OUR (American) way". I can see why that would frustrate non-Americans for sure! I did see one guy from Africa say he was annoyed by how Americans glamorise Africa while often not even realising that it is a continent, rather than a country. I can't find the tweet now, but he said it in a much funnier way than that. I will say even I've noticed there is a tendency for Americans to view Africa as homogeneous (like descendants from West Africa referring to Egypt as "the motherland").

I think the point about being more American is a very good one. I have been thinking about this since this Adele thing happened actually, though my thoughts aren't exactly polished, as you will see.

Americans are all "hyphen Americans" and I think this creates the problem. You're a Mexican-American, an African-American, a Polish-American, an Irish-American... and when discrimination happens within the US, it's based on the first part of that identity. And so many people identify strongly with that. If they are bullied and discriminated against for being Mexican-American, then they strongly identify with the Mexican part of that, because they have to really. But they're also American, brought up in that culture, with all the notions of what being an American is, concepts like American exceptionalism for example, and so it's too easy for that Mexican-American to then start speaking on behalf of all Mexicans in Mexico based on US culture. Am I making sense?

I know a number of Irish people who get really pissed off with so-called Irish-Americans who haven't been in Ireland for generations but think they know what's best for that country (at times involving a violent rhetoric which is not what the Irish want at all).

by Anonymousreply 224September 1, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote] [R211], the Americans are calling it a "diaspora war" or whatever because actual Jamaicans and British Caribbean people are telling them to go take a hike, leave Adele alone and shut the fuck up with this cultural appropriation bullshit, which only Americans are obsessed with. So the Americans have decided that this is a problem with the way in which the "diaspora" is formed, instead of their own distorted understanding of the world.

On the other hand, when Kanye West performed “All Day” at the Brits, he was accused by the British press by appropriating UK hip-hop because he invited a whole bunch of local rappers to share the stage with him.

by Anonymousreply 225September 1, 2020 11:43 PM

I have never seen a woman with such a big head.

by Anonymousreply 226September 1, 2020 11:53 PM

[quote]Roxanne Gay is a bitter fat woman. She shits on everything.

Absolutely. She's a miserable nasty bitch with a huge chip on her shoulder about everything and takes it out on the world. A very unhappy, nasty piece of work. She does, however, check a lot of boxes that are currently fashionable so people who should know better kiss her sorry ass.

by Anonymousreply 227September 1, 2020 11:57 PM

Honestly, when someone first told me about her, I thought she sounded interesting and that I would like her. Then I watched her on a panel discussion here in Australia and she started off with a position on a certain issue that by the end of the hour she was arguing against. But it wasn't even that she was constructing her arguments poorly, it's that she had adopted this attitude that made it seem like the person who was asking the question was the problem. She was so world-weary and "exhausted", but clearly it was to hide the fact she couldn't argue her way out of a paper bag. So, I was disappointed and thought she was a bit annoying.

Then, I happened to see the way she behaves on Twitter. The woman has literally attempted to ruin other people's careers through joining online mobs or inciting them, it was so gross. Other than that, she just spends a lot of time complaining, but never really offering solutions to things. It strikes me she's one of those people who doesn't want solutions (in fact, she pretty much has taken to ending her tweets with "I don't need advice"), she just wants to moan.

Oh, and tried to read some of her stuff, and her writing is not that great.

by Anonymousreply 228September 2, 2020 12:26 AM

We had a poster here not that long ago whose sister is pretty big in the academic world and he said his sister told him that Roxane Gay is not very well-liked behind the scenes, and her academic abilities and credentials are rather poorly thought of by people who know what they're talking about. He went on to say that talking about this in public would be career suicide due to the current cultural climate do many academics only discuss how annoying and (pardon the pun) lightweight academically Gay is in private settings.

by Anonymousreply 229September 2, 2020 12:30 AM

R222, while I think all of this is so preposterous and she isn't doing anything wrong, your attempt to pretend that Hollywood -throughout it's entire history to this day- hasn't whitewashed every fucking thing, is ridiculous. It seems they're able to find Middle Eastern people when they need nefarious characters but seem baffled by the notion that Jesus was the same color as those nefarious characters and never cast someone who would more resemble the real Jesus - if he existed.

by Anonymousreply 230September 2, 2020 12:37 AM

Thanks R229, that's really interesting! I enjoy hearing about that kind of behind-the-scenes stuff. That makes a lot of sense too! It would be hard to be around her in a work environment, I imagine.

by Anonymousreply 231September 2, 2020 12:51 AM

I think I'm gonna make a prediction here, and that is that in a couple of months this same issue will come up again in the news re: Día de Muertos - another festival that is open to everyone to partake in. I'm not sure I've seen that much complaint in the past, maybe a whinge here or there, but I wouldn't be surprised if accusations start flying in particular this year.

Maybe it won't happen though, we'll see. I'll be positive! Anyway one year I would really like to join in, get my face painted at the very least if I can find someone to do it.

by Anonymousreply 232September 2, 2020 4:47 AM

R232 Is that the day, where they were Klu-Klux-Klan robes in Spain?

by Anonymousreply 233September 2, 2020 8:56 AM

Nah, that's Holy Week. Día de Muertos is a Day of the Dead celebration. You may be aware of the skull makeup and marigolds?

by Anonymousreply 234September 2, 2020 11:11 AM

R232 I doubt it. America doesn't care about racial issues such as cultural appropriation when it comes to non-black POC. If they did then the migrant kids that are dying in cages right now would be free. They don't give a damn about any race outside of black people and white people.

by Anonymousreply 235September 2, 2020 11:17 AM

If there ever was one who really did deserve to get busted for cultural appropriation (and also for being an ugly psycho with rage problems who can't admit the truth), it's this one. She tried to be a Britney/Gwen Stefani before she decided to manufacture her Atlanta "blaccent". Arrogant asshole.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236September 2, 2020 1:59 PM

R235, there is indeed a lot of cultural appropriation noise around Día de Muertos, kimonos, etc. You just have to hang out around young woke people.

by Anonymousreply 237September 2, 2020 7:23 PM

The idiocy about getting upset over people joining in on Día de Muertos when they aren't Mexican is that any actual Mexican will tell you that it's an open celebration and they like others joining in. I saw some Americans pleading with people not to paint their faces because la Catrina is "sacred". And Mexicans laughing their arses off, because it's not sacred at all.

Maybe a good thing to come out of this Adele nonsense is that people are finally pushing back against this silliness and identifying it for what it is... born out of American academic culture and not applicable across the board.

by Anonymousreply 238September 2, 2020 10:07 PM

Oh and as for kimonos, I read an article the other day that explained how young Japanese people aren't really engaging in their traditions so much anymore, and kimono businesses make most of their money from selling to foreigners. So, well done to these people who scream about cultural appropriation: they're attempting to stop Japanese people from being able to make a living too.

by Anonymousreply 239September 2, 2020 10:10 PM

Woke people are the worst. I hope covid mutates and kills all the perma-triggered snowflakes from Wokeistan!

by Anonymousreply 240September 2, 2020 10:13 PM

The idea of cultural appropriation stems from the isolationism that is ingrained in American culture but doesn't exist anywhere else in the world. Americans don't believe in multiculturalism like the rest of the world does, but that's also because America refuses to get over the concept of race and racial identity in the way that the rest of the world has

by Anonymousreply 241September 2, 2020 10:23 PM

R241, it's interesting you say that. I must say the sheer inability for the Americans I saw on Twitter (a small sample of the whole, I know, I'm not trying to be hurtful to the awesome Americans out there) to understand that people think differently and cultures are different, and how they then rationalised this was very telling. They were basically calling out all black people elsewhere as being Uncle Tom's, saying they just wanted to "appease white master" etc. This was literally the only way they could explain why black people outside of the US felt differently - based on their own US culture. Very patronising. And the non-US people writing back were like: "what's with all this 'white master' shit?" Hahaha.

It's also quite insulting to people like me, who they basically accuse of having nefarious intentions towards black people, which I don't. When it comes to others I really do only care about the content of their character, and I'm a massive fan of diversity, cosmopolitanism and multiculturalism, and I'm sorry if that upsets the Robin DiAngelos of this world who want us all stained with 'Original Racism' for the rest of time, but that's just the truth of the matter.

by Anonymousreply 242September 2, 2020 10:36 PM

This type of shit is why white people voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 243September 2, 2020 10:41 PM

R242 That attitude has everything to do with America's resistance to multiculturalism. They refuse to get along with others no matter what the issue is. Isolationism is in America's blood.

by Anonymousreply 244September 2, 2020 10:54 PM

R244 Democrats and Deplorables just suck equally!

by Anonymousreply 245September 2, 2020 11:05 PM

No one would claim that participating in St Patrick's Day festivities in the US is cultural appropriation - the whole point of it is that it's a party for everyone. The same for Notting Hill Carnival in London, started by Jamaicans and open to all. From a British perspective, no one can understand why a girl from Tottenham (with a large Caribbean population) can't celebrate Jamaican culture (more specifically, British Jamaican) as though it's her "own".

That's perhaps the problem for the black population in the US - because of their slave origins, they didn't migrate from anywhere, they didn't bring their culture with them, to set it up as a community in their new home and share it with their fellow Americans from other backgrounds, which they also share in. They don't get why for black Britons it makes perfect sense and it's a good thing for Adele to wear what she wore and do her hair like that. Add the fact that, as Americans, they have a tendency to imagine they are the centre of the world and represent humanity, and it leads to this cultural appropriation nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 246September 2, 2020 11:33 PM

R246 Nobody would claim that about St. Patrick's Day because the woke have decided that white people deserve cultural appropriation. Racism and race related issues only work one way for them.

by Anonymousreply 247September 3, 2020 2:04 AM

Big mess.

by Anonymousreply 248September 3, 2020 2:12 AM

Well, waddya know, it has started:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249September 3, 2020 5:37 AM

Only the American woke, r247.

by Anonymousreply 250September 3, 2020 9:50 AM

The profile of the Twitter account at r249 is: "Online platform that uplifts Indigenous womxn & LGBTQIA2S+ voices from Mex & Central America in the U.S. (diaspora) Earth globe americas Eco-Ambassadors of @pinasoulspc"

by Anonymousreply 251September 3, 2020 9:51 AM

^That's barely legible. My head! Ouch!

by Anonymousreply 252September 3, 2020 10:21 AM

She got that other Jamaican cultural appropriator Chet Hanks' attention. 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253September 3, 2020 10:30 AM

[quote]This type of shit is why white people voted for Trump.

And will again along with Latinos.

by Anonymousreply 254September 3, 2020 10:52 AM

That bit above about Americans being resistant to multiculturalism that "the rest of the world" believes in is utter bollocks.

America has done a much better job of integrating immigrants so that they turned into Americans in one or two generations.

As for "the rest of the world"? What is that, some sort of joke?

Poland? Hungary? Saudi Arabia? Japan? The Nordic countries whose huge civic success was because, not despite, their homogeniety? What about Nigeria, which in a country of 160 million has less than 100,000 White people living there? How about China - are they one of the great Believers in multiculturalism - hey, they only have, what, 1.4 billion people living there.

But except for some guest workers and the poor Uighurs they're trying to "re-educate", they're ALL Chinese.

Do some research and open a book before spouting bullshit like that.

by Anonymousreply 255September 3, 2020 11:18 AM

“Cultural appropriation” is a stupid concept. Fuck that.

by Anonymousreply 256September 3, 2020 11:27 AM

R255 You're an idiot blinded by patriotic bullshit, you sound like a deplorable, and you curtailed the issue from multiculturalism to immigration, which are two very different things especially in this context.

Nobody asked for your opinion. Nobody WANTS your opinion. You are a elderly, decrepit nationalist. Go die in a hole you festering wound of a man.

by Anonymousreply 257September 3, 2020 11:29 AM

R257 - And you're an infantile moron who can't respond to facts so resorts to the usual insults spouted by delusional ideologues.

I don't give fuck all about who you think I am - I provided facts to a nonsensical post that any secondary school kid would have been able to poke holes in.

Grow up.

by Anonymousreply 258September 3, 2020 11:43 AM

Fuck off, R257. cunt.

by Anonymousreply 259September 3, 2020 12:00 PM

I went to the Bahamas in college for a short study abroad program. We went to San Andros island, to a little community of 225 people, totally removed from the tourism industry. While we were there, all the female students (most were white) were encouraged by university staff to pay a local woman to braid their hair, and they were excited to have it done. I wonder if the woman who braids hair for income has found something else to do. :-/

by Anonymousreply 260September 3, 2020 12:06 PM

R260 I don't get your point.

by Anonymousreply 261September 3, 2020 12:31 PM

What does Tom Hanks think of his son talking like that all the time? Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 262September 3, 2020 1:04 PM

A lot of Jamaicans came to Adele’s defence.

by Anonymousreply 263September 4, 2020 2:47 AM

^ That was great to see. Of course the Americans* couldn't listen to other people about their own culture and their own festival and could only interpret the pushback as Jamaicans having a pathological need to please white people**, and were letting the Americans down by not joining in on the outrage. Many who realised they had no way out of their arguments shifted to arguing that Bantu Knots were the real problem, also not realising that this hairstyle is also common in Jamaica under the name Chiney Bumps. And once again being outraged that Bantu people were also tweeting to say they didn't care about what Adele did.

*The ones on Twitter who got involved, I mean; I have a feeling most couldn't care less.

**Of course, Jamaicans can be white as well, but this appears to have gone over the Americans' heads too.

by Anonymousreply 264September 4, 2020 6:39 AM

She looks absolutely beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 265September 4, 2020 7:17 AM

Chet Hanks is fat and sloppy and kinda gay now.

by Anonymousreply 266September 4, 2020 10:00 AM

So black women who straighten their hair are appropriating European culture. Stop with this whole cultural appropriation bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 267September 4, 2020 12:25 PM

How many black people were auto-enslaved by her choice of hairdo?

I need a number!

by Anonymousreply 268September 4, 2020 12:53 PM

No r267 there’s a canned response to that as well. You see, the victim can’t appropriate. It’s called assimilation and it’s a survival mechanism to blend in with the oppressor.

You see, everything is the fault of white people, 100% of the time.

This virtue posturing is so utterly insufferable, it’s not a shock that people support Trump just because he goes out of his way to be politically incorrect. I’ll say it again: we have met the enemy and he is us.

by Anonymousreply 269September 4, 2020 12:57 PM

She looks horribly gaunt. Don't get me wrong, she used to be fat and it was a good idea to shed a few pounds, but this massive weight-loss was simply TOO MUCH.

by Anonymousreply 270September 4, 2020 1:00 PM

R261 Sorry, I had a couple of points/questions I didn’t make clear.

The first point is that many years ago I went to a tropical island where part of the local industry was for women who lived there to braid women tourists’ hair in the fashion of the island community. Doing this was fun for the women who visited and got to try a new hairstyle in a traditional fashion, and it was a business for the women who did the hair braiding, one of limited opportunities for the local people to make money. This appears to be what Adele has done—she went to an island and had her hair braided. Today, it’s cultural appropriation, but years ago it would have been seen as cultural appreciation and a fun thing to do on vacation, and as a way to pay into the local tourism industry.

I wonder if they still do this on Andros Island or if it is verboten now because of women not want to exploit another culture, even if the women who do the hairstyling wanted to do it.

People like Rachel Dolezal and this GW professor who just wrote an essay confessing she has passed as black all her adult life are appropriating cultures, and they seem to be totally loony and disrespectful. I have a really hard time seeing someone wearing a different culture’s hairstyle as harmful and damaging to that culture—unless, for example, we’re talking about Native American and other cultures’ head adornments (and possibly hairstylings?) that have sacramental purposes.

by Anonymousreply 271September 4, 2020 1:18 PM

R257 = mental issues. Otherwise known as fucking crazy.

by Anonymousreply 272September 4, 2020 3:16 PM

r266 you must mean Colin, not Chet, Hanks. The latter is many things, but gay isn't one of them.

by Anonymousreply 273September 4, 2020 7:29 PM

I mean Chet. Must be sober. Blubbery. Acting "gay" as in "like a fool". Not cocksucking gay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274September 4, 2020 7:32 PM

Poor Chet is such an embarrassment. I'm not even a huge fan of Tom and Rita but I still feel sorry for them.

I'm sure Tom has an ironclad last will and testament that will put Colin in charge of everything so Chet can't fuck anything up.

by Anonymousreply 275September 4, 2020 7:35 PM

Hahahaha! Chet might be a fool, but he's harmless. I wonder if he talks to Tom in that accent. 😂

by Anonymousreply 276September 4, 2020 8:06 PM

Will Adele still have her voice with the weight loss. Big chance she could lose her career, but hey, at least she is thin.

by Anonymousreply 277September 5, 2020 2:13 AM

I sometimes wonder about how singers like Adele survive. She only makes albums when she wants to and has only toured once, and yet from what I understand there is no money in albums and it's touring that's important (and even now, music labels want their artists to sign these 360 contracts so they get a cut of everything). And yet from what I understand Adele is also pretty wealthy. I don't really understand how it works, unless there's a certain level of success at which point you can survive off album sales alone? Or she had a good contract? Or lives modestly? Just a curiosity.

by Anonymousreply 278September 5, 2020 7:09 AM

R278, her album 21 is literally the 19th best selling album of all time. Even if she was making pittance from each sale, that’s a lot of sales. And she probably commands hundreds of thousands of dollars for any performance. When you’re making that much, you just don’t have to do “stuff” often, I think. That’s even with her mgmt taking a hefty percentage.

by Anonymousreply 279September 5, 2020 7:47 AM

Thanks R279, that makes sense. Really cool that she is able to live life happily that way, doing what she wants when she wants to. I once saw a singing coach discuss how Adele actually has pretty poor form, meaning singing the way she does will lead to eventually ruining her voice, so being able to live off what she has already done is probably a really good thing.

by Anonymousreply 280September 5, 2020 8:06 AM

What r279 said, her album sales are huge, and she doesn't appear to live a very lavish lifestyle either. She's doesn't own multiple homes and isn't part of the jet set party circuit.

by Anonymousreply 281September 5, 2020 8:11 AM

Adele’s net worth is estimated to be between $190MM - $300MM. Investments alone would bring in millions a year without touching the principle.

by Anonymousreply 282September 5, 2020 3:24 PM

Adele is under fire for looking ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 283September 5, 2020 3:49 PM

Another photo of Adele from the Notting Hill Caribbean Carnival....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284September 5, 2020 7:04 PM

Dreadlocks etc. aren't only a black thing. Sorry, whoever claims that shows how uneducated they are about the many many cultures in this world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285September 5, 2020 8:14 PM

Dreadlocks were also worn among the Celtic and Germanic tribes in antiquity.

by Anonymousreply 286September 5, 2020 8:40 PM

Adele's body does look better, but her head looks worse. She now looks like Michelle Carter, prosecuted for encouraging her boyfriend to kill himself.

I think Adele is having an early mid-life crisis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287September 5, 2020 9:15 PM

R285/R286 are spot on, and this is the core of this 'cultural appropriation' nonsense: the people using it know nothing of history. However, it is funny to see them confronted with these facts - the knots they tie themselves into trying to argue that those instances of dreadlocking and braiding hair somehow don't count.

An interesting discussion by an archeologist I read recently pointed out that the earliest recorded instance of cornrow type braids (on a figurine) is actually from France, haha.

by Anonymousreply 288September 5, 2020 9:30 PM

This white lady need shirt and wig.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289September 6, 2020 3:09 AM

I'm glad there's been no apology for this from Adele, or any comment at all really. I do sometimes wonder if faced with these sorts of accusations whether people would be better off - if they feel they have to say something - in just taking a leaf out of Natasha Richardson's book (as Sally Bowles):

'For example, if I should paint my fingernails green, and it just so happens I do paint them green, well, if anyone should ask me why, I say, "I think it's pretty." "I. Think. It's. Pretty," I reply.'

by Anonymousreply 290September 7, 2020 8:07 AM

She became ugly when she lost weight.

by Anonymousreply 291September 7, 2020 10:08 AM

[quote] Beyoncé and her natural hair.

SJWs will say that POC are forced to look Caucasian if they want acceptance. It isn’t their choice.

by Anonymousreply 292September 7, 2020 10:30 AM

British “celebrity” Rita Ora is “under fire” for her braids, too.

(She wore her hair like this in Madonna’s awful “Bitch, I’m Madonna” video some years back but I think the outrage then was halfhearted).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293September 7, 2020 12:39 PM

I don't know much about Rita Ora, but what I do know is that she's said she was Albanian from the get go. It is Americans who assumed she was black or half black, and are now trying to punish her for not fitting their own erroneous assumptions. It would actually be hilarious (for example, the fact that they can't fathom people from the Mediterranean might have brown skin) if this kind of thing at the heart of it wasn't trying to ruin people's careers and reputations.

by Anonymousreply 294September 7, 2020 1:32 PM

R294 Oh, that’s addressed in the article. It’s doesn’t matter that she admitted to being Albanian. She still inflicted violence with her hair and clothing styles.

by Anonymousreply 295September 7, 2020 1:39 PM

LOL. These pisse-vinaigres should pick up a history book sometime and read up on people who have really suffered in life; they might not be so easily hurt by another person's fashion choices then.

by Anonymousreply 296September 7, 2020 1:43 PM

R267 - "So black women who straighten their hair are appropriating European culture. Stop with this whole cultural appropriation bullshit."

Why, whomever can you be referring to?

by Anonymousreply 297September 7, 2020 10:33 PM

Seems like a lot of overreaction to a few trolls on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 298September 7, 2020 10:50 PM

I think I'm starting to understand that what really irks me about this whole "cultural appropriation" nonsense, aside from the ahistorical and scolding nature of it, and that is that it doesn't actually offer any solutions. Like so much of this current lecturing attitude from people, there is nothing that advances the conversation, makes us think about proactive steps we can take, makes us excited to move forward. It's wallowing in victimhood, with the idea that things will never change.

Absolutely acknowledge the past, understand history... and then LEARN from it and devise methods to improve. That's what I think anyway.

by Anonymousreply 299September 7, 2020 10:53 PM

That's Adele? With the huge weight loss, apparently, she's also lost her MIND!

She looks like actress Kim Raver!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300September 7, 2020 10:57 PM

R299 What an astute comment, wow! Ava Duvernay would be triggered though and call for your head on a spike!

by Anonymousreply 301September 7, 2020 11:03 PM

I dunno, R235, it looks like they are gearing up to do some serious gatekeeping on this thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302September 11, 2020 2:16 AM

Give Adele some food, apparently the food deprivation is affecting her mind.

by Anonymousreply 303September 12, 2020 11:11 PM

Please, Marys! She looks like a psychedelic cuckoo bird about to go skydiving. That hair and outfit are a crime by themselves! So called "cultural appropriation" is the least of Adele's problems.

by Anonymousreply 304September 13, 2020 12:05 AM

So, I was right that people were going to start mobilising against Día de Muertos "appropriation"...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305October 18, 2020 9:02 PM

Also species appropriation!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306October 18, 2020 9:11 PM

Ridiculous, R305. Día de muertos is an open celebration, as any Mexican will tell you and they don't care about this appropriation stuff. You can tell that woman doesn't have that great a connection to it because she calls it Dia de [italic]los[/italic] muertos, for a start.

by Anonymousreply 307October 29, 2020 8:34 PM

The woman at R305 calls herself a "womxn" which tells you all you need to know about her.

by Anonymousreply 308October 29, 2020 8:35 PM

LOL, now Chet Hanks is in trouble (again) for 'appropriating' patois. I mean, I'm sure the guy is cringey and whatever, but all this issue highlights to me is how terrible the American education system is. He's being accused of "verbal blackface" and yet Jamaica is a multiracial country and therefore white people do use patois too. Jamaican isn't synonymous with black. And just like in the Adele situation, the Jamaicans do not care, it's the Americans who are so upset and offended. As one Jamaican I saw pointed out, why are they not as upset about all the fake Jamaican accents used by black Americans in their movies too if this is so 'hurtful and damaging'.

And boy, when the Americans find out the Jamaicans don't care, how quick do the racial slurs come out of their own, apparently woke mouths! I've never heard the word "coon" used so much, and I am from a country where it's the name of a popular cheese!

by Anonymousreply 309December 3, 2020 11:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!